6.4

1. Feb 6, 2013
    Just a word: amazing! Yeah, this is probably the right word to describe Dead Space 3, the third main entry in Dead Space franchise. i really can't understand why there some people that didn't like it cause i've been a fan since 2007 when the first article on Dead Space was writte, and saw trough the years how it developed and i'm really pleased with the job done in DS3!
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    never written a review on here before but as a fan of the series and given some of the issues surrounding this game I thought I would come post a review. A lot of criticism has been leveled at EA and Visceral regarding the third entry in this series.The main points are the inclusion of microtransactions, Coop game-play and a perceived shift from horror to action. Now I have been a fan ofnever written a review on here before but as a fan of the series and given some of the issues surrounding this game I thought I would come post a review. A lot of criticism has been leveled at EA and Visceral regarding the third entry in this series.The main points are the inclusion of microtransactions, Coop game-play and a perceived shift from horror to action. Now I have been a fan of Dead Space since the launch of the first game back in 2008 and a fan of survival horror since long before that. And like many I have been back to the original two games and played through both over the last couple of weeks. The first Dead Space was for me probably one of, if not the best survival horror game I have ever played. the atmosphere and tension I had not experienced in any game before with Silent Hill 2 possibly being the only game that came close. Dead Space 2 I loved just as much, while the isolation of the first game wasn't as present, I felt the game had a much stronger story and actually upon playing both games through for the first time in nearly two years, actually made me jump more than the original did. Both games sit very high on my all time favorites. Now moving onto DS3.
    first off I will talk about some of the negative perceptions and my opinions of them after playing The microtransactions. Now like most people, given the choice I would rather these did not exist at all. My biggest fear for this release was that my progress through the game would be repeatedly hamstrung by my refusal to part with extra money on top of of a full price I have already paid for the game (I'm not opposed to the idea of DLC but I am only ever interested in the ones that give you lots of content, two if the Skyrim expansions being an example) however, I am am happy to say that just because they exist does not mean you have to use them. I didn't, although I did use the scavenger bot in game to find ration seals to purchase items which didn't cost me anything other than time in the game. So while if it was up to me its something I would never have put in from the start, its was not forced upon me and even if I had not used the in game currency I would still have been able to play this game to completion. This for me was going to be my biggest gripe so I was relieved to find it wasn't a barrier to my enjoyment of the game.
    Secondly The coop. For me the Resident Evil series has been killed by Coop, although it was the actual coop that bothered me. It was the fact that if I wanted to play solo I would still have this rather clunky companion with terrible AI constantly getting in my way. Thankfully the Coop of DS3 has been done much more effectively. If your playing solo, Carver isn't with you most of the time. he pops up for occasional story moments, and the odd battle but most of the time your back to Isaac on his own. If you are playing Coop Carver is there with you the whole time and there are extra side missions, cut scenes and dialog to represent this, in addition the necromorphs are tougher and more numerous. Now the Coop is great fun and definitely worth playing, however it does diminish the scare factor considerably although there are still a few creepy moments. One nice touch is the individual dementia that each character suffers, one player can be hallucinating and the other player will not see what they are reacting to, its a really interesting idea and to be honest I would like to have seen more done with it as it doesn't really change the game over all, just adds flavor. However it does mean those who choose only to experience the solo campaign will not miss out on a radically different story.
    lastly the shift from survival horror to action. while there has been a bit of a shift in this direction, in truth its not nearly as black and white. there are plenty of large action set pieces and these are done really well, and actually better than a lot of action games out there. but there is also plenty of classic dead space moments creeping around pitch black corridors waiting for things to jump out at you (and they probably do more often than in the previous two games) this did give me some of the most heart pounding moments in the series when I found myself surrounded by necromorphs on all sides with very little health to survive on. Its faster pace and intense moments are definitely more closely linked to DS2 the original, but this is not necessarily a bad thing as DS2 was and still is an amazing game. Now a lot of people have complained about the series losing its roots and its not longer a dead space game etc. For me, this absolutely was a Dead Space game. One thing that annoys me more than anything is when developers/bands/ movie studios just remake whatever made them popular, and if I wanted to play for 8 -10 hours of creeping around corridors I already have that game, it's the original dead space, DS3 is a worthy sequel, and while not perfect, I had a blast with it.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    I am not sure if those that actually play/enjoy the Dead Space franchise are the ones leaving reviews. This game has not lost it's touch to the scares and frustrations that the necromorphs cause, and still finds a way to keep the story fresh. It is a double edged sword that Visceral had to deal with, if they change nothing then people complain about the lack of innovation.. they changeI am not sure if those that actually play/enjoy the Dead Space franchise are the ones leaving reviews. This game has not lost it's touch to the scares and frustrations that the necromorphs cause, and still finds a way to keep the story fresh. It is a double edged sword that Visceral had to deal with, if they change nothing then people complain about the lack of innovation.. they change something, people complain about fixing something that was not broken. The game is solid, keeps you on your toes, good replay value. This is $60 dollars well spent, and I hope people can look past some poor reviews. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a gorgeous title that once more thrusts Isaac Clark back into the disarray of Visceral Game's dystopian future. Apparently, in the time between the second and third games our engineering friend has become somewhat of a troglodyte, behind on bills and with a newly discovered penchant for sketching the very religious structures he feared, it's evident that Isaac's not in aDead Space 3 is a gorgeous title that once more thrusts Isaac Clark back into the disarray of Visceral Game's dystopian future. Apparently, in the time between the second and third games our engineering friend has become somewhat of a troglodyte, behind on bills and with a newly discovered penchant for sketching the very religious structures he feared, it's evident that Isaac's not in a good place. Still distraught over the loss of his girlfriend, he suddenly finds himself hunted by the formidably run (and well financed) Unitologist Church which, unlike our hero, remained quite busy during Mr. Clark's "Walden" days. While the game remains well acted, and though the music complements the appropriate moment, the writers immediately present you with a story that undermines the pre-established lore from both preceding titles as well as the supplementary material (books, dvds, ect). How for example, were the artifact's powers contained when previous attempts had failed? How did the construction workers not transform before the containment facilities were blown? I mean, wouldn't the spear-armed HVAC employee not make the evening news on at least 1 planet? How did the civilian population of every colony suddenly turn to fanatic Unitologist supporters overnight? While most games fall into similar tropes that can be highlighted when thought of for just a moment, the immersion factor often removes this quotient from the equation, we don't ask why Master Chief was spared in Halo 4, we don't question the motives of the Alliance Council in Mass Effect, and we certainly don’t mull over why Princess Peach always insists on having her parties on the top floor of her castle. And yet here I was, 20 minutes in and fleeing from a well armed army of religious fanatics wondering how it came to be. Perhaps it's series fatigue, but the story, like the matrix before it, is trying to delve deeper than was ever intended, and it's beginning to show. On the gameplay front, the controls are nearly identical to previous entries in the series, and while movement in the older games benefited from isolated chambers and limited enemies, the narrative transition makes moving around feel convoluted and slow. Enemies charge from multiple directions and soldiers lob grenades at the feet of your character, and yet the ability to respond is frustratingly limited. Like many preliminary critics suggested, it appeared as if the developers were attempting to create a budget version of Gears of War, and the control scheme is indicative of this. Targeting is tedious, and the slight auto assist that was pioneered over a decade earlier in Halo 1, is nowhere to be found. I often had to spend precious time lining up shots, only to be eviscerated from behind. In many titles such complaints could be overlooked, however with the increased (exponentially so) focus on gunplay, the system is simply antiquated. While the addition of a second player helps, it removes the most compelling aspect of Dead Space, which is isolation. This not only detracts from the plot, but the game play as well. While Mr. Carter's story is deep and emotionally well developed, it's hard to build anticipation and apprehension when a 13 year old is singing into their headpiece. Perhaps if played with a friend this would be nullified, however in the era of COD and Halo 4, your window of opportunity to experience this with a competent partner is limited at best. On the visual front, Dead Space is a feast for the eyes, from the glare of the neon lights to the individual hair follicles on Isaac's face, we are treated to a brilliant canvas that seldom disappoints. Unfortunately, much like an oil painting, the prima facie appearances belie the reality, as they simply coat a static world that prevents interaction. Want to shoot that toy robot? Insert random black mark. Care to break that window? Well here's one of 4 broken glass patterns. It's the type of minute complaint that only grows as the game progresses, and much as how Doom 3, initially dropped collective jaws, it was ultimately irrelevant due to the sheer limitations that existed in the environment. Although I acknowledge that the description thus far isn't flattering, it's the reality of Electronic Art's development cycles; original ideas cultivate dedicated followers, who are eventually traded in for mass consumer appeal. Usually this process involves expanding the scale of the story, placing a glossy sheen over the character models, and increasing the bust size of female characters to entice teens. From micro transactions to day one DLC, it's obvious that EA is merely in it for the money, and consequently innovation falls inversely as production costs skyrocket. This is not a condemnation of their business model, simply a call to reconsider their practices. Dead Space 3 is by all means a decent game, it's well acted, and fairly fluid, but to a dedicated Spacies (TM that), it's a disappointment. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2013
    This is such a great game. I have loved playing this game whenever I have free time. I could not live without this game ever. I will reccomend everyone to consider playing this game
  6. Feb 10, 2013
    I love the first two outings for the Dead Space world, and so was eagerly awaiting the third instalment even going so far as to order it for launch day (which is very unusual for me). After a day playing it however I'm left disappointed and am considering going back to my current play through of DS2 for my precious weekend's gaming. There are several issues I have with the new game whichI love the first two outings for the Dead Space world, and so was eagerly awaiting the third instalment even going so far as to order it for launch day (which is very unusual for me). After a day playing it however I'm left disappointed and am considering going back to my current play through of DS2 for my precious weekend's gaming. There are several issues I have with the new game which seem retrograde steps rather than progressive ones.
    Firstly, however, let me say what's good. The world is even more deeply immersive than before. The addition of ladder climbing seems small but adds more plausibility to the environments. The graphics are sometimes simply breathtaking, and there seem to be more "real" objects around that you knock over as you pass or can pick up and fire at enemies.
    The sounds is also superb. Music quickens when baddies attack (although I'm not a fan of "music is still attack music so baddies must still be around even though I haven't seen them" audio cues) and the squelching and snarling of enemies is sometimes stomach-wrenchingly good.
    Optional missions too are a great feature and are implemented beautifully.
    However, despite these standouts, there's something deeply lingering that disquiets me. The game dynamic has subtly changed, and not for the better.
    Stomping corpses now is mandatory. Often corpses only drop loot if they're stomped. But there's no way to spot unstomped corpses. Missing loot annoys me.
    Default weapons aren't powerful enough and enemies too fast. This sounds like the ultimate wimp-out criticism, and maybe it's a tactic to force more use of stasis, but here's how it goes. An enemy appears. I shoot it to remove a limb. Now it takes two or three shots to sever a limb instead of one. In the meantime the baddy has rushed me and so I end up button pounding or melee attacking. This is happening MUCH more than in the previous games. And it's a drag. An enemy appears and it's on me before I can shoot it enough times to kill it. Of course that hurts, so now I need more medical supplies. But now there seems to be something of an abundance of those. Guys, that is no substitute for balanced gameplay! Whereas enemies in previous games were sometimes a shock, there were never times when I thought one single enemy could conceivably kill me while I stumble around trying to shoot it now it's inches away and moving around me.
    Let me talk about the new weapon system. What was wrong with the old one?! My first visit to a bench had me thinking "wow that system is way powerful but I will never be bothered to learn it". I'm all for making games you have to invest a bit of time in, but I will never be found planning my weapon upgrade strategy.
    More generally, I've found that there is too much do-something-get-attacked about the game. An example is restarting a generator to provide power to a ship. I run around the gantry for ages figuring out what to do, and when the penny finally drops (it's not obvious enough and I had to be hinted to by the game) and I made progress I suffer a wave of enemies. Where were they for the previous two minutes of me running about looking stupid? And we have to do this three times. Pause. Progress. Wave of baddies. The scripting of waves of enemies is laborious for someone like me who moves slowly through these environments (particularly now I don't know if a corpse needs stomping or not).
    It's a peeve of mine, but I always play this type of game on the easiest mode first, then replay harder. I expect "easy" or in this case "casual" to mean just that- not challenging, if you like. I like to think of it as "just FUN". The casual mode of DS3 is far from it. Two monsters at once is almost enough to kill me, which just isn't fun.
    I guess that about sums things up for me. As a casual player, I want to dip in, have fun, and dip out. I can see DS3 has meat for a serious gamer, but for me, the mark of a game is how compelled I am to explore and enjoy it. Right now I'm wondering whether I want to play it again today- it seems far more like work. I'm actually thinking "well maybe half an hour on DS2 before I go back to DS3". Please, please, let that change as I come to know the game more...
  7. Feb 12, 2013
    great game. loved the gameplay and thought the story was good. networking was seamless. i did notice some issues with telekinesis at times and items/limbs falling into or getting stuck in the environment, but nothing that affected play or that i wasn't able to recover.
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    I'm dumbfounded by all the negative reviews of this game. I played this game for about 24 hours, taking my time through all the optional missions and I played on Hard, not the super hard with one death it's over... but the one below that.

This being said, one guy complained he had 2000 ammo and blew through the game and it didn't make him conserve. Stop playing games on easy and then that it's easy. I played through and had just enough ammo, and towards the end I had to craft a little because the sheer number of mobs gets kinda ridiculous at some points.

No the game wasn't perfect, but it was a solid game and quite enjoyable. The game wasn't boring by any means and if you look at the storylines for 1 and 2 there was virtually no story in deadspace 1. I mean seriously, they've reveled so much of the storyline in 3 that it's crazy. I was like what?! I didn't know that.

Now for me beefs with the game.

1) Kinesis is useless in DS3. I'm the others you could snap up a limb and blast and it was great fun. In this one the number of necromorphs coming at you is crazy and you never had time to pick up a limb and blast away with it to save ammo. 2) No suit buffs, seriously?! That was part of the fun of collecting them, not just because they look cool but you could get one that looked cool AND played towards your play style in game. Extra freeze duration, more damage etc. Give the suits their buffs back!

3) Fire and Acid... ok completely useless IMHO. I saved up and built the cow whatever it was gun which was like a machine gun with acid. Yah I blew through ALL my ammo and I still didn't kill the necromorph attacking me. I thoroughly enjoyed the double bolas gun at the end of the game... that thing is awesome. I found a riffle with controlled bursts and a lower with a plasma burst to knock things back was perfect for the ENTIRE game. I just switched to bolas at the end because I had used the same gun the entire time and I crafted EVERY gun by the end of the game. I'd use a gun if I didn't like it I tore it down for parts and this drastically helps with making other guns. Don't save the guns if they suck.

4) Some of the story line. So this takes place on a planet that we were at 200 years before and somehow ALL the still works and the fact it's covered in snow and ice and glaciers and it hasn't been destroyed by weather in 200 years?! I mean wow that's awesome.

5) Not really scary, but definitely a 10 for anxiety. I mean seriously, does every single time I get 2 or 3 necros frontal onslaughting me... HAVE to 100% lead to the back assault at the same time every time? I mean it was like SHOOT SHOOT TURN SHOOT TURN SHOOT TURN! the entire time because it was literally like playing starcraft and the Zerg were swarming me.

Complaints aside, I still enjoyed the game a lot. I remember finishing the first one and wondering more and more about WTF is really going on with the story and etc and begging for more info. They are definitely filling in some gaps.

Now to beat it in Classic mode.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    Ds3 is just average. It dosent leave you with any impressions after you beat it. Just meh. Its not action heavy but its shooter heavy. Prepare to get barraged by the same necros over and over and over. There is hardly any enemy variety in the entire game. They also left out brutes,infectors and dividers. Classic necromorphs. There are just so many little things that take away from aDs3 is just average. It dosent leave you with any impressions after you beat it. Just meh. Its not action heavy but its shooter heavy. Prepare to get barraged by the same necros over and over and over. There is hardly any enemy variety in the entire game. They also left out brutes,infectors and dividers. Classic necromorphs. There are just so many little things that take away from a potiential great game. You will have more frustrations than fun. If you must play ds3, rent it. Frankly, its not worth your 60$. Expand
  10. Feb 13, 2013
    So, glitchy, repetitively boring, absolutely zero scare factor, and now a poor mainstream 3rd person action/shooter instead of what I, as a Dead Space fan, thought it was. Survival/Horror! Other than some slightly funner mechanics like co-op and scavaging, the only jewel from this title is the crafting system. If your looking for something to scare and thrill you, or want a satisfyingSo, glitchy, repetitively boring, absolutely zero scare factor, and now a poor mainstream 3rd person action/shooter instead of what I, as a Dead Space fan, thought it was. Survival/Horror! Other than some slightly funner mechanics like co-op and scavaging, the only jewel from this title is the crafting system. If your looking for something to scare and thrill you, or want a satisfying continuation of the story, my opinion is it sadly disappoints. If you must get it, wait for the enevitable price drop. Like RE6, disapointed.... Expand
  11. Feb 15, 2013
    Boring, not scary, drawn out and WHERE THE F&$K DID THE MARKERS ORIGINATE? Story is not that it was ever the best, but some light-shining on the race that occupied Tau Volantis and how/where they were first attacked by these Markers would be a nice way to end out the series ie. SOME EFFING CLOSURE TO A STORY I HAD BEEN FOLLOWING FOR 5 YEARS!!!

EA has killed gaming for me with this.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Oh how i hate this game. Run run shoot shoot, cutscene, run run shoot shoot, cutscene.

They took a great game and made it loud STUPID and generic. You cant even walk into a room without having a 10 second cutscene to show you were the enemy is coming and what kind it is. Such a huge disappointment. Just another boring shooter.
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    I'm pretty disappointed by others reviews of this game. Dead space 3 is a great game and has endless reply-ability. If you're a fan of shooters...GOOD shooters then this is right up your alley. Weapons are fantastic andallow you to experiment with dozens of possibilties. The co-op works great and adds to the campain to make it uber-fun. It's scary like resident evil should be. Do notI'm pretty disappointed by others reviews of this game. Dead space 3 is a great game and has endless reply-ability. If you're a fan of shooters...GOOD shooters then this is right up your alley. Weapons are fantastic andallow you to experiment with dozens of possibilties. The co-op works great and adds to the campain to make it uber-fun. It's scary like resident evil should be. Do not listen to the haters. ..this game rocks! Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2014
    I had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have theI had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have the same atmosphere of ds2 the game is just not scary. Great game overall, just doesn't feel like a dead space game Expand

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.