6.4

1. Feb 10, 2013
    This is such a great game. I have loved playing this game whenever I have free time. I could not live without this game ever. I will reccomend everyone to consider playing this game
  2. Feb 10, 2013
    I love the first two outings for the Dead Space world, and so was eagerly awaiting the third instalment even going so far as to order it for launch day (which is very unusual for me). After a day playing it however I'm left disappointed and am considering going back to my current play through of DS2 for my precious weekend's gaming. There are several issues I have with the new game whichI love the first two outings for the Dead Space world, and so was eagerly awaiting the third instalment even going so far as to order it for launch day (which is very unusual for me). After a day playing it however I'm left disappointed and am considering going back to my current play through of DS2 for my precious weekend's gaming. There are several issues I have with the new game which seem retrograde steps rather than progressive ones.
    Firstly, however, let me say what's good. The world is even more deeply immersive than before. The addition of ladder climbing seems small but adds more plausibility to the environments. The graphics are sometimes simply breathtaking, and there seem to be more "real" objects around that you knock over as you pass or can pick up and fire at enemies.
    The sounds is also superb. Music quickens when baddies attack (although I'm not a fan of "music is still attack music so baddies must still be around even though I haven't seen them" audio cues) and the squelching and snarling of enemies is sometimes stomach-wrenchingly good.
    Optional missions too are a great feature and are implemented beautifully.
    However, despite these standouts, there's something deeply lingering that disquiets me. The game dynamic has subtly changed, and not for the better.
    Stomping corpses now is mandatory. Often corpses only drop loot if they're stomped. But there's no way to spot unstomped corpses. Missing loot annoys me.
    Default weapons aren't powerful enough and enemies too fast. This sounds like the ultimate wimp-out criticism, and maybe it's a tactic to force more use of stasis, but here's how it goes. An enemy appears. I shoot it to remove a limb. Now it takes two or three shots to sever a limb instead of one. In the meantime the baddy has rushed me and so I end up button pounding or melee attacking. This is happening MUCH more than in the previous games. And it's a drag. An enemy appears and it's on me before I can shoot it enough times to kill it. Of course that hurts, so now I need more medical supplies. But now there seems to be something of an abundance of those. Guys, that is no substitute for balanced gameplay! Whereas enemies in previous games were sometimes a shock, there were never times when I thought one single enemy could conceivably kill me while I stumble around trying to shoot it now it's inches away and moving around me.
    Let me talk about the new weapon system. What was wrong with the old one?! My first visit to a bench had me thinking "wow that system is way powerful but I will never be bothered to learn it". I'm all for making games you have to invest a bit of time in, but I will never be found planning my weapon upgrade strategy.
    More generally, I've found that there is too much do-something-get-attacked about the game. An example is restarting a generator to provide power to a ship. I run around the gantry for ages figuring out what to do, and when the penny finally drops (it's not obvious enough and I had to be hinted to by the game) and I made progress I suffer a wave of enemies. Where were they for the previous two minutes of me running about looking stupid? And we have to do this three times. Pause. Progress. Wave of baddies. The scripting of waves of enemies is laborious for someone like me who moves slowly through these environments (particularly now I don't know if a corpse needs stomping or not).
    It's a peeve of mine, but I always play this type of game on the easiest mode first, then replay harder. I expect "easy" or in this case "casual" to mean just that- not challenging, if you like. I like to think of it as "just FUN". The casual mode of DS3 is far from it. Two monsters at once is almost enough to kill me, which just isn't fun.
    I guess that about sums things up for me. As a casual player, I want to dip in, have fun, and dip out. I can see DS3 has meat for a serious gamer, but for me, the mark of a game is how compelled I am to explore and enjoy it. Right now I'm wondering whether I want to play it again today- it seems far more like work. I'm actually thinking "well maybe half an hour on DS2 before I go back to DS3". Please, please, let that change as I come to know the game more...
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    great game. loved the gameplay and thought the story was good. networking was seamless. i did notice some issues with telekinesis at times and items/limbs falling into or getting stuck in the environment, but nothing that affected play or that i wasn't able to recover.
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    I'm dumbfounded by all the negative reviews of this game. I played this game for about 24 hours, taking my time through all the optional missions and I played on Hard, not the super hard with one death it's over... but the one below that.

This being said, one guy complained he had 2000 ammo and blew through the game and it didn't make him conserve. Stop playing games on easy and then that it's easy. I played through and had just enough ammo, and towards the end I had to craft a little because the sheer number of mobs gets kinda ridiculous at some points.

No the game wasn't perfect, but it was a solid game and quite enjoyable. The game wasn't boring by any means and if you look at the storylines for 1 and 2 there was virtually no story in deadspace 1. I mean seriously, they've reveled so much of the storyline in 3 that it's crazy. I was like what?! I didn't know that.

Now for me beefs with the game.

1) Kinesis is useless in DS3. I'm the others you could snap up a limb and blast and it was great fun. In this one the number of necromorphs coming at you is crazy and you never had time to pick up a limb and blast away with it to save ammo. 2) No suit buffs, seriously?! That was part of the fun of collecting them, not just because they look cool but you could get one that looked cool AND played towards your play style in game. Extra freeze duration, more damage etc. Give the suits their buffs back!

3) Fire and Acid... ok completely useless IMHO. I saved up and built the cow whatever it was gun which was like a machine gun with acid. Yah I blew through ALL my ammo and I still didn't kill the necromorph attacking me. I thoroughly enjoyed the double bolas gun at the end of the game... that thing is awesome. I found a riffle with controlled bursts and a lower with a plasma burst to knock things back was perfect for the ENTIRE game. I just switched to bolas at the end because I had used the same gun the entire time and I crafted EVERY gun by the end of the game. I'd use a gun if I didn't like it I tore it down for parts and this drastically helps with making other guns. Don't save the guns if they suck.

4) Some of the story line. So this takes place on a planet that we were at 200 years before and somehow ALL the still works and the fact it's covered in snow and ice and glaciers and it hasn't been destroyed by weather in 200 years?! I mean wow that's awesome.

5) Not really scary, but definitely a 10 for anxiety. I mean seriously, does every single time I get 2 or 3 necros frontal onslaughting me... HAVE to 100% lead to the back assault at the same time every time? I mean it was like SHOOT SHOOT TURN SHOOT TURN SHOOT TURN! the entire time because it was literally like playing starcraft and the Zerg were swarming me.

Complaints aside, I still enjoyed the game a lot. I remember finishing the first one and wondering more and more about WTF is really going on with the story and etc and begging for more info. They are definitely filling in some gaps.

Now to beat it in Classic mode.
  5. Feb 13, 2013
    Ds3 is just average. It dosent leave you with any impressions after you beat it. Just meh. Its not action heavy but its shooter heavy. Prepare to get barraged by the same necros over and over and over. There is hardly any enemy variety in the entire game. They also left out brutes,infectors and dividers. Classic necromorphs. There are just so many little things that take away from aDs3 is just average. It dosent leave you with any impressions after you beat it. Just meh. Its not action heavy but its shooter heavy. Prepare to get barraged by the same necros over and over and over. There is hardly any enemy variety in the entire game. They also left out brutes,infectors and dividers. Classic necromorphs. There are just so many little things that take away from a potiential great game. You will have more frustrations than fun. If you must play ds3, rent it. Frankly, its not worth your 60$. Expand
  6. Feb 13, 2013
    So, glitchy, repetitively boring, absolutely zero scare factor, and now a poor mainstream 3rd person action/shooter instead of what I, as a Dead Space fan, thought it was. Survival/Horror! Other than some slightly funner mechanics like co-op and scavaging, the only jewel from this title is the crafting system. If your looking for something to scare and thrill you, or want a satisfyingSo, glitchy, repetitively boring, absolutely zero scare factor, and now a poor mainstream 3rd person action/shooter instead of what I, as a Dead Space fan, thought it was. Survival/Horror! Other than some slightly funner mechanics like co-op and scavaging, the only jewel from this title is the crafting system. If your looking for something to scare and thrill you, or want a satisfying continuation of the story, my opinion is it sadly disappoints. If you must get it, wait for the enevitable price drop. Like RE6, disapointed.... Expand
  7. Feb 15, 2013
    Boring, not scary, drawn out and WHERE THE F&$K DID THE MARKERS ORIGINATE? Story is not that it was ever the best, but some light-shining on the race that occupied Tau Volantis and how/where they were first attacked by these Markers would be a nice way to end out the series ie. SOME EFFING CLOSURE TO A STORY I HAD BEEN FOLLOWING FOR 5 YEARS!!!

EA has killed gaming for me with this.
  8. Mar 24, 2013
    Simply fantastic game. Truly Dead Space from end to end. I was worried seeing so many negative responses to the game from fans and reviewers and was afraid the co-op would really ruin the experience. But how relieved I was. The co-op is totally optional feeling like its a completely different game so the single player is untouched. The weapon crafting system is marvelous I spent so muchSimply fantastic game. Truly Dead Space from end to end. I was worried seeing so many negative responses to the game from fans and reviewers and was afraid the co-op would really ruin the experience. But how relieved I was. The co-op is totally optional feeling like its a completely different game so the single player is untouched. The weapon crafting system is marvelous I spent so much time on the bench cooking up weapons although that is where my only gripe with the game comes, that you can craft and will craft so many weapons but can only carry 2. If they made at least 3 It would have been better but it just a minor complain that does not detriment from the game in general. The story is amazing, i loved it definitely did not see the twist almost at the end. Finally something else I loved is the diversity in scenarios. While the first 2 games each were pretty much in one type of scenario (DS1 on the Ishimura and DS2 on the Sprawl), DS3 has you in at least 3 totally different scenarios that drastically change the pace of the game. In conclusion Im really happy with how the game turned out. I do feel it surpasses its predecessors, and the horror I felt was intact since although I pretty much knew what to expect from the necromorphs I was still at the edge of my seat waiting for them to pop out of shafts just like I was in the previous games. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    Oh how i hate this game. Run run shoot shoot, cutscene, run run shoot shoot, cutscene.

They took a great game and made it loud STUPID and generic. You cant even walk into a room without having a 10 second cutscene to show you were the enemy is coming and what kind it is. Such a huge disappointment. Just another boring shooter.
  10. Apr 8, 2013
    I'm pretty disappointed by others reviews of this game. Dead space 3 is a great game and has endless reply-ability. If you're a fan of shooters...GOOD shooters then this is right up your alley. Weapons are fantastic andallow you to experiment with dozens of possibilties. The co-op works great and adds to the campain to make it uber-fun. It's scary like resident evil should be. Do notI'm pretty disappointed by others reviews of this game. Dead space 3 is a great game and has endless reply-ability. If you're a fan of shooters...GOOD shooters then this is right up your alley. Weapons are fantastic andallow you to experiment with dozens of possibilties. The co-op works great and adds to the campain to make it uber-fun. It's scary like resident evil should be. Do not listen to the haters. ..this game rocks! Expand
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    I had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have theI had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have the same atmosphere of ds2 the game is just not scary. Great game overall, just doesn't feel like a dead space game Expand

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.