Dead Space 3 PlayStation 3

6.4

1. Mar 7, 2013
    I loved Dead Space 3 and still playing it, I thought it was a bit easy at first with the first 4 chapters done in like minutes, then came a lot of enemies in their hordes, got are they a pain, haha, but fun anyway I think a lot of these negative results are players being a bit too picky, I love the idea of climbing mountains as well. I think just cause it has altered slightly horror toI loved Dead Space 3 and still playing it, I thought it was a bit easy at first with the first 4 chapters done in like minutes, then came a lot of enemies in their hordes, got are they a pain, haha, but fun anyway I think a lot of these negative results are players being a bit too picky, I love the idea of climbing mountains as well. I think just cause it has altered slightly horror to more action, that some players feel that is wasn't up to scratch, but, I think it is a good game overall. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    Have played through this game twice now, I have some thoughts. The new emphasize on action is a good thing. I do miss the scares, but after 3 games, it would have been hard to achieve the same creepy feel. The action felt needed. Game play is great all around. Some cool space missions add a fun twist on the solid gunplay. The graphics were pretty good. At some points it looked great, otherHave played through this game twice now, I have some thoughts. The new emphasize on action is a good thing. I do miss the scares, but after 3 games, it would have been hard to achieve the same creepy feel. The action felt needed. Game play is great all around. Some cool space missions add a fun twist on the solid gunplay. The graphics were pretty good. At some points it looked great, other times it would look just good. A step up from DS2 graphically. Its story was not very good however. It wasn't bad, but it could have been much better, especially since this was the last in the trilogy. Has tons of replay value, so if you are worried about bang for your buck look no further. As far as micro-transactions go, they didn't effect me, positively or negatively. Hardly even noticed they were there. Overall, if you are a 3rd person shooter fan, this is a must buy. Just don't expect a ton of scares, but again, this is a good thing. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    EA following Capcom's steps, (Resident Evil), The terror has gone with planet's temperature, EA brings a solid Action Game, this is no more Survival Horror, if you want a great action game this is for you, if you want a Survival Horror better look in another place. If you are a Dead Space fan like me, you will be a little disappointed, but is still great the Game. Hope they make a REALEA following Capcom's steps, (Resident Evil), The terror has gone with planet's temperature, EA brings a solid Action Game, this is no more Survival Horror, if you want a great action game this is for you, if you want a Survival Horror better look in another place. If you are a Dead Space fan like me, you will be a little disappointed, but is still great the Game. Hope they make a REAL survival horror Dead Space Soon Expand
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    Not really sure where all the negativity being leveled towards this game is coming from. Many fans and critics seem to be complaining about a straying from the roots of the series, what makes dead space a unique, original, series. After playing DS3 I can say that the new direction of the developers towards a more action oriented game was well thought out. DS1 was all about the unknown andNot really sure where all the negativity being leveled towards this game is coming from. Many fans and critics seem to be complaining about a straying from the roots of the series, what makes dead space a unique, original, series. After playing DS3 I can say that the new direction of the developers towards a more action oriented game was well thought out. DS1 was all about the unknown and survival, DS2 strayed from this but still kept the feeling of creepy horror while combining it with heavier action elements. At this point, there was only one logical way to go with the series. The horror and survival aspects had been thoroughly explored, now it was time to see what Isaac could really do when faced with intense combat situations. I have to say, I found this to be the most difficult of the three games. When swarms of semi-humanoid necromorphs come screeching after you and surrounding you, it because very difficult to survive. The addition of customized weapons was great, as well as user-made blueprints. The story was well-paced and the layout of the game superb. The amount of content was large, the whole time I felt as though I was accomplishing much. The only gripe I have about this particular Dead Space was the lack of marker induced hallucinations. For me, those were the creepiest parts in the first and second game. Excluding that, remarkably well-done game, delivers well on the hype. Expand
  5. Feb 22, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Dead Space series and I thought that this was going to be a real let down, my god I was wrong. Visually, game-play, story, sound, enjoyable everything you want from a game. It probably isn't as scary as the previous two but if you are new to this game then you will find it scary.
  6. Feb 28, 2013
    This game is amazing. If you like the previous dead space games you'll love this one. Its has everything that made the other two great plus more. Its action oriented but just as frightening as the others. Dont listen to the haters this game is bleepin awesome. You never know whats around the next corner. Not as claustrophobic as the other two but they pull it off beautifully. Stop readingThis game is amazing. If you like the previous dead space games you'll love this one. Its has everything that made the other two great plus more. Its action oriented but just as frightening as the others. Dont listen to the haters this game is bleepin awesome. You never know whats around the next corner. Not as claustrophobic as the other two but they pull it off beautifully. Stop reading the reviews and go buy this game. Now! Expand
  7. Feb 12, 2013
    I'm dumbfounded by all the negative reviews of this game. I played this game for about 24 hours, taking my time through all the optional missions and I played on Hard, not the super hard with one death it's over... but the one below that.

This being said, one guy complained he had 2000 ammo and blew through the game and it didn't make him conserve. Stop playing games on easy and then that it's easy. I played through and had just enough ammo, and towards the end I had to craft a little because the sheer number of mobs gets kinda ridiculous at some points.

No the game wasn't perfect, but it was a solid game and quite enjoyable. The game wasn't boring by any means and if you look at the storylines for 1 and 2 there was virtually no story in deadspace 1. I mean seriously, they've reveled so much of the storyline in 3 that it's crazy. I was like what?! I didn't know that.

Now for me beefs with the game.

1) Kinesis is useless in DS3. I'm the others you could snap up a limb and blast and it was great fun. In this one the number of necromorphs coming at you is crazy and you never had time to pick up a limb and blast away with it to save ammo. 2) No suit buffs, seriously?! That was part of the fun of collecting them, not just because they look cool but you could get one that looked cool AND played towards your play style in game. Extra freeze duration, more damage etc. Give the suits their buffs back!

3) Fire and Acid... ok completely useless IMHO. I saved up and built the cow whatever it was gun which was like a machine gun with acid. Yah I blew through ALL my ammo and I still didn't kill the necromorph attacking me. I thoroughly enjoyed the double bolas gun at the end of the game... that thing is awesome. I found a riffle with controlled bursts and a lower with a plasma burst to knock things back was perfect for the ENTIRE game. I just switched to bolas at the end because I had used the same gun the entire time and I crafted EVERY gun by the end of the game. I'd use a gun if I didn't like it I tore it down for parts and this drastically helps with making other guns. Don't save the guns if they suck.

4) Some of the story line. So this takes place on a planet that we were at 200 years before and somehow ALL the still works and the fact it's covered in snow and ice and glaciers and it hasn't been destroyed by weather in 200 years?! I mean wow that's awesome.

5) Not really scary, but definitely a 10 for anxiety. I mean seriously, does every single time I get 2 or 3 necros frontal onslaughting me... HAVE to 100% lead to the back assault at the same time every time? I mean it was like SHOOT SHOOT TURN SHOOT TURN SHOOT TURN! the entire time because it was literally like playing starcraft and the Zerg were swarming me.

Complaints aside, I still enjoyed the game a lot. I remember finishing the first one and wondering more and more about WTF is really going on with the story and etc and begging for more info. They are definitely filling in some gaps.

Now to beat it in Classic mode.
  8. Feb 19, 2013
    This is Dead Space. I loved the first, liked the second and really enjoyed the third. All the setting is somehow back to first chapter (space ships, small rooms etc. etc.), with more dark and claustrophobic areas and less "go stright ahead" action. What I liked most is the little (yes, it is little, but there is!) sense of freedom some chapters gives you. Go around, explore a bit, gatherThis is Dead Space. I loved the first, liked the second and really enjoyed the third. All the setting is somehow back to first chapter (space ships, small rooms etc. etc.), with more dark and claustrophobic areas and less "go stright ahead" action. What I liked most is the little (yes, it is little, but there is!) sense of freedom some chapters gives you. Go around, explore a bit, gather stuff etc. etc. The game is not that scary or incredibly surprising like Dead Space 1, but, when played at hard or impossible, like I did, the tension is constant and force you to pay incredible attention to the environment in order to identify enemies access points and how to tactically confront a room. The "fear", in dead space 3, is not given by theatrical scenes or scripted events: it derives from the constant necromorph threat (but I repeat: play it at hard or impossible, or the resources at your disposal will be too high, and you' ll loose the "resources management" aspect of the game). The AI is not that great, but hey, they' re freaking Necromorph, not Space Marines Death Squadrons, after all: slashing things that run to you trying to chop your body into pieces! The "hiding" Necromorph type still use great hide&seek tactic which can make them nasty. Pity is that the human enemies have so low AI. Weapon creation/customization is a great innovation. It is fun to try different combinations and gives you a strong feeling of personalization, allowing you to find the exact weapon you like most to fight with. The story is interesting, if you like Dead Space setting, and well cadenced, with a nice peek on main characters personalities. Perhaps the game is, overall, a bit too long. The co-op action is great, especially if you have a headset for communication. Expand
  9. Feb 10, 2013
    The Dead Space series has now shown that’s willing to do what ever it takes to survive, in today’s market. A series known for survival horror has now turned into an action, Co-Op experience. Despite this, Dead Space 3 still manages to be a good game. It stumbles at times, but it’s various triumphs out way it’s failures. Taking place 2 months after the events of the last two games, withThe Dead Space series has now shown that’s willing to do what ever it takes to survive, in today’s market. A series known for survival horror has now turned into an action, Co-Op experience. Despite this, Dead Space 3 still manages to be a good game. It stumbles at times, but it’s various triumphs out way it’s failures. Taking place 2 months after the events of the last two games, with engineer Isaac Clack is tasked to destroy the last marker that creates a virus that turns people into monsters known as Nechromorphs. Dead Space 3’s more action focus story is easily the games lowest point. It does do a good job connecting the worlds and locations you visit together, but convoluted as all hell, thanks to some force love triangles, bad dialog, cliché space army caricatures, and a cartoonishly evil villain. Combat revolves around killing enemies by dismembering their limbs to do most damage. Enemies will run at you at such a quick pace, that you’ll need to use some strategy in order to stop them. But, just because an enemy lost a leg doesn’t mean they won’t stop. Of course, you can also do this with a pal in co-op, which is fun. An interesting idea that’s been implemented is that the game’s story will alter depending on how you play the campaign. This alone is worth playing again, but there are some other incentives.

The biggest new edition to comes in the workbench. You can collect resources and plans to either create new weapons or create your own. This a welcome change as you can now customize your weapons and you’ll need to think about how you create each one, since with so many enemies, leads to different ways to take them out. But, Perhaps the dumbest decision to this is that you can now use real money to buy resources to craft weapons. It’s optional, but it’s something that didn’t need to be in the game.

Dead Space 3 isn’t prefect. Its story could use editing, it has some repetitive and frustrating task, but even so, it’s still a good game. It may not be scary, but it’s one hell of a ride.
  10. Feb 2, 2014
    Great game. loooooooooooooooooooong game play. Big improvement over Dead Space 2. I still think original Dead Space is the best but DS3 is awesome nontheless. CO-Op is awesome as well. Overall money well spent. love this game.
  11. Nov 6, 2013
    I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. They were different from Dead Space 3. DS1 had a lot of dark corners and the sense of "What is going to come at me next?". After the second game or movie in a horror franchise, you lose that sense. The only logical solution is to abandon the franchise, or turn to action. In the first two games i felt like i was the underdog. After surviving 2 necromorphI loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. They were different from Dead Space 3. DS1 had a lot of dark corners and the sense of "What is going to come at me next?". After the second game or movie in a horror franchise, you lose that sense. The only logical solution is to abandon the franchise, or turn to action. In the first two games i felt like i was the underdog. After surviving 2 necromorph outbreaks I naturally felt like a badass come Dead Space 3. More of an action game, I felt that it was a natural progression for the series. I like the customization this time around. I like the new suits, even though they literally are only aesthetics this time around. I have very little to complain about, aside from the plot which felt a little weak, and had some minor plot-holes. Expand
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    Wow... that is all that needs to be said. This game blows the previous two Dead Space titles out of the water. The bar has been raised to the ultimate. The additions of weapon editing, co-op, optional missions, and improved gameplay is a VERY welcomed addition. The soundtrack and story for the most part is excellent. The atmosphere and look of the world is amazing. There are so many bigWow... that is all that needs to be said. This game blows the previous two Dead Space titles out of the water. The bar has been raised to the ultimate. The additions of weapon editing, co-op, optional missions, and improved gameplay is a VERY welcomed addition. The soundtrack and story for the most part is excellent. The atmosphere and look of the world is amazing. There are so many big moments and set pieces that I had to go back just to play it again. It's a shame too, because the demo left a bad taste in my mouth, but after picking up the full game my mind was blown. This is one of the best games I've played in a long time and it's such a shame that it's sitting at a 78 metacritic rating, because it deserves a MUCH higher score. Thank you Visceral Games. Expand
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    I'm a huge Dead Space fan, and when I finished this last game I felt a sense of accomplishment. Its not as scary as the first two entries in the series and a lot of fans will be extremely upset about that. But you play this one for the story because it is as unforgettable as ever. And the graphics are the series highpoint and anyone can appreciate that.
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    First of all I must admit as a Dead Space game this isn't as good as Dead Space 2. In Dead Space 2 there are many times where the game will scare the crap out of you. I remember in one session I was re-investigating the hangar where the Ishimura is docked but there is no light on. I was so scared that I had to grab a light in the environment and move on with it. Not only are scary stuffFirst of all I must admit as a Dead Space game this isn't as good as Dead Space 2. In Dead Space 2 there are many times where the game will scare the crap out of you. I remember in one session I was re-investigating the hangar where the Ishimura is docked but there is no light on. I was so scared that I had to grab a light in the environment and move on with it. Not only are scary stuff all over the place the enemy AI was exceptional too.
    In dead space 3 however, the game is much less thrilling. I'm not saying its not scary at all, but far less so than its prequel. Enemy AI can be frustratingly bad at times: I have seen necromorphs running toward a wall while its already at it and ramming its head on the wall that it seems to think is me. But the game is fully functional most of the time; in my playthru the said experience only happened once.

But let's look at the bright side: Dead Space 3 contains much more action elements than Dead Space 2 just like how they were improved in Mass Effect 3. Mini games are a welcome addition, but the biggest improvement in Dead Space 3 has to be the weapon crafting system. With two tools and accessories there are infinite possible combinations for ur weapon, the only thing u can rely on in this dark universe. From regular assault rifle to chain lightning generator that slows enemy on impact, there are so many guns for u to explore! I must be honest: I had more fun with the variety of guns in Dead Space 3 then I did in Borderlands 2, which I played 500+ hours on Steam.
    Dead Space 3 is a third person shooter instead of a survival horror game. Enemies spawn in much larger hordes, forcing u to build better weapons to deal with them. The Dead Space trademark dissembling system does exist, but dissembling becomes less effective since the enemy number has gone up exponentially and the weapons more powerful.
    U will be disappointed if u were looking for a horror game, but if ur an action fan, Dead Space 3 is definitely the game to go for with its immersive universe, badass arsenal and an interesting enough story.
  15. Mar 19, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a master of a game. Full of scares, action sequences and great visuals. As someone who has only glimpsed looks at Dead Space 1 2, I didn't know what to expect. But I was welcomed to an amazing experience. You play as Isaac Clarke, who has been the protagonist in every Dead Space I believe, and you get well acquainted to him and his back story. This is the most visuallyDead Space 3 is a master of a game. Full of scares, action sequences and great visuals. As someone who has only glimpsed looks at Dead Space 1 2, I didn't know what to expect. But I was welcomed to an amazing experience. You play as Isaac Clarke, who has been the protagonist in every Dead Space I believe, and you get well acquainted to him and his back story. This is the most visually stunning game I've played this year by far, and that's an understatement. The sound effects displayed throughout the game are nothing short of horrifying, this is the biggest seller in my point. The areas and enemies are all unique and take certain strategies to take them down, which ever way you choose, limb by limb. Small side quests have small stories and give a lot in terms of rewards. If you haven't picked this game up yet, I'd advise you at least try it, just to witness Visceral Game's masterpiece at work Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2013
    This game is great. I know I'm gonna get lots of replay value out of this. I love the single campaign and I'm going to try the co op next. All the games are great but I do hope they have a better story line next time.
  17. Feb 12, 2013
    I've beaten all of the Dead Space games and have seen the anime. The big reason people are turned off by DS3 is because it's not DS1. I feel that adding more story and action to the Dead Space series was an inevitable evolution. Dead Space 1 just could not be recreated. When a player first plays DS1, everything is fresh and more terrifying. The story is a mystery, the enemies andI've beaten all of the Dead Space games and have seen the anime. The big reason people are turned off by DS3 is because it's not DS1. I feel that adding more story and action to the Dead Space series was an inevitable evolution. Dead Space 1 just could not be recreated. When a player first plays DS1, everything is fresh and more terrifying. The story is a mystery, the enemies and their behaviors are a mystery, the weapons are a mystery, and thus DS1 could get away with a slow-as-nails pace because the entire atmosphere was fresh and new. But that singular approach couldn't be taken with the second game, because the novelty of the necromorphs and the marker mystery had passed. So DS2 introduced more action and more story to keep things interesting. And now we get to DS3, and we are at a point where action and story have to be relied on even more, so we ended up with what seems more like a blockbuster action game than a survival horror. Some elements were indeed sacrificed in DS3, such as the need to conserve ammo and resources, but otherwise the gameplay of DS3 is more refined than the previous two games and is very similar to what was presented in Dead Space 2.

In summary, it's not a big deviation from Dead Space 2, it's fun as hell to play, but the story could have been executed better. A good game that is haunted by it's predecessors.
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    I’ll be brief. EA made some big mistakes on how this game was marketed. What was shown so early at E3 and a demo that was an extremely bad representation of the actual game. I can honestly say that this game stands tall with the other Dead Space titles. It may indeed have a more Sci-Fi action feel but the mechanics that make it a Dead Space game are all there. Some people may want toI’ll be brief. EA made some big mistakes on how this game was marketed. What was shown so early at E3 and a demo that was an extremely bad representation of the actual game. I can honestly say that this game stands tall with the other Dead Space titles. It may indeed have a more Sci-Fi action feel but the mechanics that make it a Dead Space game are all there. Some people may want to dispute this but I felt that the environments in many parts of the game were that of the first game. I can’t remember many times in Dead Space 2 where a necromorph snuck up behind me. I was pleased to see that this new game had many of those moments. Game has high re-play value as there are 4-5 more difficulty levels to play once you beat the game for the first time that are very unique. If you’re on the fence about getting this game because of all the negative reviews and enjoyed the other games, all I can say is don’t listen an get it. Expand
  19. Feb 14, 2013
    Dead Space 3 had everyone worried that it was going to be another Resident Evil game with gun fights and coop. While the story in Dead Space 3 is bad, the gameplay easily makes up for it. Its still has the creepy moments of the last games, the violence is satisfying and the gun battles, while pointless, are few and far between. And for those of you who are confused or unsure about coop,Dead Space 3 had everyone worried that it was going to be another Resident Evil game with gun fights and coop. While the story in Dead Space 3 is bad, the gameplay easily makes up for it. Its still has the creepy moments of the last games, the violence is satisfying and the gun battles, while pointless, are few and far between. And for those of you who are confused or unsure about coop, don't worry, the singleplayer is Isaac ONLY. John Carver isn't an AI that follows you around. Go out and buy it, its a good time. Expand
  20. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay so here's the thing: Dead Space 3 was sort of damned from the outset. If you look at the Dead Space series it follows the same pattern as the Alien films: the first is survival horror and acclaimed because of the sense of paranoia and claustrophobia it inspires. The monsters are hideous, the graphics are excellent and the blood and viscera are, well visceral. Dead Space 2 had to widen its scope since Dead Space took place almost entirely on the Ishimura, Dead Space 2 had to up the ante by demonstrating a necromorph outbreak within a human colony (notice the Aliens parallel?). I actually thought DS2 was every bit the equal of DS but it had a more actionized, epic feel. DS3 then HAD to find a new tack...and like Alien 3 it opted more for characterization over action or the type of horror of the original. Alien 3 is coincidently...the least liked chapter of the Alien series (and no, like most self respecting humans I do not include the films which followed) because it tried to have its cake and eat it too. But here again is the thing....I like Alien 3, a lot. I also like Dead Space 3 a lot. Dead Space 3 turned the near silent protagonist of DS and the damaged psyche edition of Isaac featured in DS 2 and gave him depth. Here we get to see Isaac handle the difficult seperation from Ellie while being forced to work with not just her but her jealous, jerk ass new man Norton. Not only is this drama present but oh yeah, Isaac is also the key to saving the entire living galaxy (potentially). Dead Space 3 also introduces a motley cast to aid Isaac and for the first time creates a human villain (a nasty one at that) who is utterly seduced by the markers. Dead Space 3 is also a good deal larger and at least for me, longer than the other 2 entries. I loved the weapon creation and customization engine and the adorable lil' scavenger bots which bravely navigated necromorph infested zones to bring in needed supplies. DS3 also for the first time lets Isaac be an engineer- his weapons are improvised and the creation system is indeed deep. A real bonus is that you have many blueprints available but you're also quite free to BYO. By the way my favorite weapon was one I designed: an acid infused, hard popping pulse rifle with a tremendously damaging rocket launcher (I do love the classics). I also created a scoped auto rifle which fired stasis infused needles and had a huge contact beam underneath to finish enemies with. I loved the side missions which added other tragic characters and fully fleshed out the chaos which occurred long before the events of DS. The graphics are gorgeous and the environs varied- yes the ships do reuse sections and are interchangeable but that's actually pretty realistic- there isn't a good deal of variance amongst ships of similar type and many of those are like the Nostromo in Alien- resource haulers. This being said, DS 3 has its share of flaws. The ice planet is large but also easy to get lost within and maybe its just me but I found navigation a lot more difficult in this game. The game is not for everyone (fans of DS in particular will likely hate it) but if you enjoy a game which offers a much more nuanced and fleshed out approach to its characters, big set pieces, large environments, a lot more bang for your buck storywise and with many sidequests, DS 3 is for you. I haven't written about co-op because I didn't play it (sadly DS 3 was part of my acquisition of the superior Bioshock Infinite) but I do plan on re-purchasing the game at some point to walk a mile in Carver's shoes. The final question therefore is, if Dead Space follows the Alien series on an abstract level (oh it does in many, many ways...which makes Aliens: Colonial Marines all the more disappointing) is it as flawed as the third entry? Happily it is not. If you're expecting DS or DS 2 replay those, but if you want to finally have a story with more of a human element (particularly between Isaac and Ellie) along with all the goodies......DS 3 is a worthy conclusion to an excellent series. Expand
  21. Mar 4, 2013
    Of the 4 full length Dead Space titles out, this one comes in 3rd. The gameplay is tight, aiming and shooting off limbs is precise. There are a few scary/creepy moment through out the game, which is always welcome in a Dead Space game. One of my few beefs with this game is that there is no local multiplayer. The weapons crafting is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but it is moreOf the 4 full length Dead Space titles out, this one comes in 3rd. The gameplay is tight, aiming and shooting off limbs is precise. There are a few scary/creepy moment through out the game, which is always welcome in a Dead Space game. One of my few beefs with this game is that there is no local multiplayer. The weapons crafting is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but it is more customizable. A pretty long campaign 8-10 hours, the game starts off mediocre but right around the 6 or 7th chapter it starts getting really good. Tons to do and find in this game, definitely a must buy. Expand
  22. Feb 2, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is an awesome game and a fantastic way to end the trilogy! There are so many things about this game that are great, so i'm gonna get the bad things out of the way first. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of competitive multiplayer, now I'm not normally a multiplayer kinda guy but i really enjoyed it in Dead Space 2 and wish it had been included here. Second isDead Space 3 is an awesome game and a fantastic way to end the trilogy! There are so many things about this game that are great, so i'm gonna get the bad things out of the way first. The thing that bothered me the most was the lack of competitive multiplayer, now I'm not normally a multiplayer kinda guy but i really enjoyed it in Dead Space 2 and wish it had been included here. Second is the mission structure, now don't get me wrong the game is incredibly fun! However, the fetch quest type structure of the missions really started to get on my nerves after a while. Lastly, the lack of Isaacs dementia. I feel like the element of Isaac loosing his sanity was what made the story in the second game so compelling! Even though the story in three is very good i feel like that element could have made it as great as the story in the second. Now, with all that out of the way let me tell you why this game is so good! It has the same amazing combat that we know and love plus the addition of customizable weapons! Second, it has crazy set pieces that are just as if not more over the top that in Dead Space 2! Lastly is the characters. Isaac is better than ever and if you have a buddy to play John Carver you are in for a real treat! Carver is a fantastic character and when you put him and Isaac together it just makes it even better! Also, the games villain is not bad either, he ads a sense of urgency and hatred toward a human enemy that the previous games lacked. All in all its not quite as good as Dead Space 2, however that shouldn't keep you away because this is an awesome finale that needs to be experienced by all sci-fi and Dead Space fans! Expand
  23. Nov 24, 2013
    Just this one time, I know it's tempting to just follow the crowd, but please ignore the internet. If you loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2 then Dead Space 3 will not disappoint. The change of pace is a welcome addition, the light RPG elements from the previous games have been refined and for some bizzare reason the open spaces are more terrifying than the enclosed spaces. The co-op isJust this one time, I know it's tempting to just follow the crowd, but please ignore the internet. If you loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2 then Dead Space 3 will not disappoint. The change of pace is a welcome addition, the light RPG elements from the previous games have been refined and for some bizzare reason the open spaces are more terrifying than the enclosed spaces. The co-op is solid in execution but it does tend to take away 85% of the scare factor. But Dead Space 3 is awesome in a terrifying way, in the same respect that Dead Space 2 was terrifying in an awesome way. Expand
  24. Feb 8, 2013
    I had high expectations for this having loved the previous games (especially 2). in the first couple hours of playing, I knew the game was not going to be as scary as the previous. There seems to be a large emphasis on action this go around. Not saying its a bad game, but its just not the same. The coop is fun for sure and the new weapon system adds so depth to the game that was needed.I had high expectations for this having loved the previous games (especially 2). in the first couple hours of playing, I knew the game was not going to be as scary as the previous. There seems to be a large emphasis on action this go around. Not saying its a bad game, but its just not the same. The coop is fun for sure and the new weapon system adds so depth to the game that was needed. Universal ammo also helps from having 500 extra line gun ammo (like in 2). My biggest gripe is the Kinesis options. In previous games you could pick up almost anything and use it as a weapon when needed. This time around, your lucky if it will pick up anything except limbs from enemies. I found that a big disappointment. The story is kind of Eh, but overall the game is pretty solid. Lots to explore, lots of action and enough closed quarters to make it feel like a dead space game. My other question is, where did Ellie get that new eye from? verdict, if your a fan of the series and are looking for a similar experience to ds1 and 2, you may not like ds3 too much. But if you enjoy a good coop with a friend for some fun in a good 3rd person shooter..then you will love ds3. Expand
  25. Feb 19, 2013
    Don't listen to bad critics first of all!!
    Don't listen to bad critics first of all!!
    Now about the game Dead Space 3 is even better than Dead Space 2 and DS1 for those dumb ignorant people that were saying the game has no more horror they're completely wrong the game is still horror only the intro of the game has action but has a reason for that The rest of the game is pure horror and has very tense moments just like the previous games. If you enjoyed Dead Space 1 and 2 you will sure enjoy Dead Space 3 its a true Masterpiece.
  26. Feb 12, 2013
    Having played through all the Dead Space games and watched all the weird Dead Space animes, it seems that the only reason gamers do not like the game is because they feel too overly entitled to expect a certain type of game primarily a survival horror game that scares the hell out of you. There are no scary people laughing in dark corridors happily chopping sawing people open, like in theHaving played through all the Dead Space games and watched all the weird Dead Space animes, it seems that the only reason gamers do not like the game is because they feel too overly entitled to expect a certain type of game primarily a survival horror game that scares the hell out of you. There are no scary people laughing in dark corridors happily chopping sawing people open, like in the first game, nor is there some freaky image of your ex trapped within your mind. And so, people being as fatalistic as they are, they tend to rate the game horribly being that it is devoid of any extraordinarily freaky things.

Make no mistake the game is far from perfect when compared to the other games in the series. The new weapon system is, for a game of this type, rather convoluted and probably looked great on paper, but in practice, causes you to think too hard about what type of weapon you would like. And the scares are much tamer compared to other games in the series, as the scare factor relies chiefly on trying to startle you. While I am the easily startled type, it still doesn't hold a candle to the scare factor of previous games. Part of the scare factor of the previous games was that ammo, while available, was certainly not plentiful. That is not the case in this game, as even the hard difficulty has a bountiful pile of ammo in every corner that allows for a blind man to fire thousands of shots that he may as well be firing at the broad side of a barn.

And that is not because Dead Space doesn't try to be scary because it still feels dreadful walking around in dark, tight corridors with malfunctioning lights, creepy noises rattling around ships, and things jumping out at you when you least expect it. The problem is that the franchise seems to have expended all its tricks. We've seen the flickering lights, the necromorphs that play dead, the necromorphs that jump out of ventilation ducts. We've seen the hallucinations and heard the creepy whispers. Dead Space 3 does not evolve its fright fest enough especially for a series that has released three titles in six years, and to try and recycle all this a third time is to invite fanboy rage and will certainly cause people to say that the game just isn't scary enough.

But the game is far from horrible. It still presents several gameplay innovations, some of which take getting used to like the new weapon system but there is also a touch of non-linear game play, along with its much touted co-op system. To have the full effect of the game, there can be no doubt that you should find a good friend to play the game with as playing by one's self seems to leave out key parts of the experience. And there can be no doubt that the game still has very intense moments, including some stressful firefights and brief moments where you're separated from your partner, all the while getting swarmed by creepy corpses coming to chop your head off with an axe. It is an incredibly atmospheric game with some of the most unique environments you will ever see in gaming, making it a universe that is psychedelic and awe-inducing to explore. Ridley Scott once said that the reason the Aliens movies had became less scary and more action oriented was because the mystery of the alien had disappeared by the time we had reached the third movie. The same idea could certainly be applied here as we can more easily see what the necromorph is and come to understand it, it becomes much less scary and more about action. If you're a fanboy or a high-expectation gamer who has played the previous games in the series and you are looking for the ultimate fright fest, this isn't it and you should probably give the game a 1 or 2 of 10 perhaps a 5 or 6 at the very most. But for everyone else, and especially for those who are new to the series, or for those who are looking to explore the fascinating universe of Dead Space, this game easily meets or surpasses an 8 out of 10.
  27. Feb 5, 2013
    never written a review on here before but as a fan of the series and given some of the issues surrounding this game I thought I would come post a review. A lot of criticism has been leveled at EA and Visceral regarding the third entry in this series.The main points are the inclusion of microtransactions, Coop game-play and a perceived shift from horror to action. Now I have been a fan ofnever written a review on here before but as a fan of the series and given some of the issues surrounding this game I thought I would come post a review. A lot of criticism has been leveled at EA and Visceral regarding the third entry in this series.The main points are the inclusion of microtransactions, Coop game-play and a perceived shift from horror to action. Now I have been a fan of Dead Space since the launch of the first game back in 2008 and a fan of survival horror since long before that. And like many I have been back to the original two games and played through both over the last couple of weeks. The first Dead Space was for me probably one of, if not the best survival horror game I have ever played. the atmosphere and tension I had not experienced in any game before with Silent Hill 2 possibly being the only game that came close. Dead Space 2 I loved just as much, while the isolation of the first game wasn't as present, I felt the game had a much stronger story and actually upon playing both games through for the first time in nearly two years, actually made me jump more than the original did. Both games sit very high on my all time favorites. Now moving onto DS3.
    first off I will talk about some of the negative perceptions and my opinions of them after playing The microtransactions. Now like most people, given the choice I would rather these did not exist at all. My biggest fear for this release was that my progress through the game would be repeatedly hamstrung by my refusal to part with extra money on top of of a full price I have already paid for the game (I'm not opposed to the idea of DLC but I am only ever interested in the ones that give you lots of content, two if the Skyrim expansions being an example) however, I am am happy to say that just because they exist does not mean you have to use them. I didn't, although I did use the scavenger bot in game to find ration seals to purchase items which didn't cost me anything other than time in the game. So while if it was up to me its something I would never have put in from the start, its was not forced upon me and even if I had not used the in game currency I would still have been able to play this game to completion. This for me was going to be my biggest gripe so I was relieved to find it wasn't a barrier to my enjoyment of the game.
    Secondly The coop. For me the Resident Evil series has been killed by Coop, although it was the actual coop that bothered me. It was the fact that if I wanted to play solo I would still have this rather clunky companion with terrible AI constantly getting in my way. Thankfully the Coop of DS3 has been done much more effectively. If your playing solo, Carver isn't with you most of the time. he pops up for occasional story moments, and the odd battle but most of the time your back to Isaac on his own. If you are playing Coop Carver is there with you the whole time and there are extra side missions, cut scenes and dialog to represent this, in addition the necromorphs are tougher and more numerous. Now the Coop is great fun and definitely worth playing, however it does diminish the scare factor considerably although there are still a few creepy moments. One nice touch is the individual dementia that each character suffers, one player can be hallucinating and the other player will not see what they are reacting to, its a really interesting idea and to be honest I would like to have seen more done with it as it doesn't really change the game over all, just adds flavor. However it does mean those who choose only to experience the solo campaign will not miss out on a radically different story.
    lastly the shift from survival horror to action. while there has been a bit of a shift in this direction, in truth its not nearly as black and white. there are plenty of large action set pieces and these are done really well, and actually better than a lot of action games out there. but there is also plenty of classic dead space moments creeping around pitch black corridors waiting for things to jump out at you (and they probably do more often than in the previous two games) this did give me some of the most heart pounding moments in the series when I found myself surrounded by necromorphs on all sides with very little health to survive on. Its faster pace and intense moments are definitely more closely linked to DS2 the original, but this is not necessarily a bad thing as DS2 was and still is an amazing game. Now a lot of people have complained about the series losing its roots and its not longer a dead space game etc. For me, this absolutely was a Dead Space game. One thing that annoys me more than anything is when developers/bands/ movie studios just remake whatever made them popular, and if I wanted to play for 8 -10 hours of creeping around corridors I already have that game, it's the original dead space, DS3 is a worthy sequel, and while not perfect, I had a blast with it.
  28. Feb 5, 2013
    I am not sure if those that actually play/enjoy the Dead Space franchise are the ones leaving reviews. This game has not lost it's touch to the scares and frustrations that the necromorphs cause, and still finds a way to keep the story fresh. It is a double edged sword that Visceral had to deal with, if they change nothing then people complain about the lack of innovation.. they changeI am not sure if those that actually play/enjoy the Dead Space franchise are the ones leaving reviews. This game has not lost it's touch to the scares and frustrations that the necromorphs cause, and still finds a way to keep the story fresh. It is a double edged sword that Visceral had to deal with, if they change nothing then people complain about the lack of innovation.. they change something, people complain about fixing something that was not broken. The game is solid, keeps you on your toes, good replay value. This is $60 dollars well spent, and I hope people can look past some poor reviews. Expand
  29. Feb 8, 2013
    I am a serious dead space fan, having got the platinum trophy for the first two games, i would say that i have experienced everything dead space has to offer so far. After reading up on dead space 3, i got a bit twitchy with the addition of co op, the fact that there are now human enemies and that the demo seemed to portray that the game is based mostly outside, in wide open areas. HowI am a serious dead space fan, having got the platinum trophy for the first two games, i would say that i have experienced everything dead space has to offer so far. After reading up on dead space 3, i got a bit twitchy with the addition of co op, the fact that there are now human enemies and that the demo seemed to portray that the game is based mostly outside, in wide open areas. How wrong was i! i played the game on single player, and this is how you should play it as a dead space fan. You dont have a clunky AI partner tagging along, you have a classic dead space experience, which is just what i was looking for! the game resembles DS2 more than DS1, but all the classic elements are here, tight corridors, jumpy moments, and the feeling that a necro is about to jump out at you around every dark corner... THAT is what makes a DS game, and this is what the developers have accomplished. if you are a dead space fan, ignore the other comments on here and in reviews (which are wrong in some of their points) and buy it, you wont be disappointed! Expand
  30. Mar 21, 2013
    After 3 games the chills of not knowing what was coming for you around the next corridor no longer hold the same scares, but the great atmosphere and gameplay allow this one to hold its own with the last two. The gun crafting is interesting and the game does a good job of mixing some old school Dead Space (especially the first few hours before planet fall) with some nice setpiece moments.After 3 games the chills of not knowing what was coming for you around the next corridor no longer hold the same scares, but the great atmosphere and gameplay allow this one to hold its own with the last two. The gun crafting is interesting and the game does a good job of mixing some old school Dead Space (especially the first few hours before planet fall) with some nice setpiece moments. A solid 8.5 for me. Expand

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.