6.4

1. Jul 4, 2014
    It feels more like an action title than a survival horror. It has a no-snap cover system that isn't an improvement. If you have played the other two, you will know how and when it will scare you, and what puzzles to expect. Weapons and co-op are the real stars, but even they don't shine too brightly. DS1>DS2>DS3.
  2. Nov 3, 2013
    Had some elements of the previous two games like the space exploration, really did capture an atmosphere at times, but unfortunately doesn't take it too long to turn into just another generic 3rd person shooter. covered by a AAA status
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    Co-op elements remove the fear factor in the game, put is still fun. Game is pretty short and story is uninteresting unless your a die hard dead space fan. Save your money folks.
  4. Aug 5, 2014
    I'm no 'h8r' or a 'butthurt horror fan'. I'm just a guy who loved DS and enjoyed DS2. So I gladly borrowed it from a friend to check out this new entry on the series. Am I glad I didn't buy it! On to the game: I know they tried to add some stuff, like crafting and coop, and they were good ideas but were poorly executed and ended up being bland and a chore, I mean, some weapons end up beingI'm no 'h8r' or a 'butthurt horror fan'. I'm just a guy who loved DS and enjoyed DS2. So I gladly borrowed it from a friend to check out this new entry on the series. Am I glad I didn't buy it! On to the game: I know they tried to add some stuff, like crafting and coop, and they were good ideas but were poorly executed and ended up being bland and a chore, I mean, some weapons end up being weaker than your trusty Plasma cutter (TM), which is still useless because strategic dismemberment is gone. Enemies take lots of ammo to take down, with or without limbs, and the game balances your enormous damage income by giving you tons of medkits. Seriously? What's the point of making enemies more powerful so that you need more health boosters? Is it to encourage teamwork? Because it did not, and getting both of us in constant need of revives made the game even more frustrating. On top of that, controls seem a bit unresponsive and some abilities have been messed with. Anyway, I see people praising the story, which would have been good had it been more prominent. In fact, in the 7 chapters I played, I didn't get any of it because it was simply uninteresting. I really didn't care about it at all. So with that in mind, what else is left to maintain it's honour? The mechanics are fine since they haven't changed, for good or bad, and the graphics have worsened a bit. The blood and gore is awful as it was on it's predecessor so there's no real fun in the process of annihilating the enemies. Enemies, did you say? Yes! Apparently now there are some crazy Unitologists that want to kill Isaac and the other guy because they can turning this into another wanna be RE4 that turns out like RE5, with lots of dull, action, no horror and few real great moments. What's funny is that these are actually better than the necromorphs but they are still meh. I could go on but I think it's pretty clear EA has given us an unfinished game with a bad story (I looked up the ending) and mediocre visuals and gameplay. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2015
    Dead Space 3 is one of those games that's been getting a lot of flack recently from fans for taking a route similar to Resident Evil 5, essentially ditching the survival-horror gameplay for a more action-oriented experience. Contrary to popular opinion, I firmly claim that RE5 proved taking the series in a different direction could work successfully, and Dead Space 3 only helps to furtherDead Space 3 is one of those games that's been getting a lot of flack recently from fans for taking a route similar to Resident Evil 5, essentially ditching the survival-horror gameplay for a more action-oriented experience. Contrary to popular opinion, I firmly claim that RE5 proved taking the series in a different direction could work successfully, and Dead Space 3 only helps to further cement my standing.

If you played Dead Space games, you already know how it works. The necromorphs (space-zombies) charge at you with blades for hands and the quickest way for you to take them down is to dismember them, cutting off limb after limb instead of simply pumping them full of bullets. Along with this you have your stasis and kinesis modules, allowing you to slow down your enemies and impale them with sharp narrow projectiles.

The core gameplay largely remains intact, but what keeps DS3 fresh is the biggest tweak; the crafting system. The currency used to buy weapons and armor in the previous titles has been largely removed and swapped out for scrap you use to upgrade your armor and craft your weapons. Crafting weapons is a process that's easy to understand but hard to explain, which is probably the reason Visceral didn't bother adding a meaningful tutorial to walk you through it. It's not hard to figure out so after a little experimentation I was able to craft some absolutely awesome weapons. The way it works is that each individual weapon has room for two guns, meaning you'll be able to use two firearms with one hand.

The only flaws I could see with this is that the weapons don't act independent of each other. You can't fire both simultaneously and each weapon's rate of fire affects the other, so you can't fire your lower gun while your upper gun is still on a cool down which seems to take away one of the potential advantages of having this mechanic in the first place. Also, only having two weapon slots is disappointing.

Overall, the gameplay still remains the same and manages to be just as enjoyable as it was, even in the new action oriented gameplay, and the crafting system while far from perfect adds a surprisingly layer of depth. Your ability to survive against the necromorphs isn't dependent on how much ammo you have and the weapons the game gives you, but instead is based on the weapons you create to combat your foes. The only flaw that hasn't been fixed from Dead Space 2 is the cheap attacks from behind, which is still annoying. Luckily, crafting weapons does help make this flaw much more manageable, but that doesn't excuse it for being there in the first place.

As for the online component, the competitive multiplayer has been swapped for a new cooperative mode. Strictly online with no split-screen, player 2 takes control of Earth gov soldier John Carve, and at first glance, coop seems like a new mechanic that's largely tacked on. However, after playing both campaigns respectively, it's much more thought out than you'd think.

For the most part, cutscenes in the game stay the same, regardless of which mode you're playing, so the game instead adds additional cutscenes and dialogue to enhance the coop experience. Carver himself may just be a simple palate swap, considering he plays and handles just like the main character Isaac, but what makes Carver stand out is his strikingly different personality. Whereas Isaac is more compassionate and sympathetic, Carver is callous and cruel. The mission is the most important thing, and he's willing to sacrifice anyone, including himself to complete it. It's this personality that leads to the more interesting dynamics between Isaac and Carver's partnership. Coop missions have been added in the game as well, allowing for a small subplot that's missing from the single player campaign that centers on Carver dealing with the hallucinations caused by the Aliens. Isaac has already defeated his demons, but Carver is facing all of the guilt he has for what he did to his wife and son, and it's up to Isaac to help him through it. These missions are definitely the best of what the story has to offer, especially considering the turn the story has taken.

Up to this point, Dead Space's lore and story hasn't been hard to understand, but this installment is where the origins of the necromorphs and the markers becomes completely convoluted. After multiple playthroughs, I'm still not completely sure what it was Isaac and Carver were trying to stop by the end.
    There are also a few annoying parts where Carver and Isaac have an annoying lack of reaction to the events happening around them, leading to a few irritating plot holes.

Despite the flaws in story, Dead Space 3's core still remains intact, and with the new tweaks like crafting and coop, DS3 lives up as a worthy game for the franchise. Despite it ditching the horror atmosphere, Dead Space 3 handles the action gameplay well, and it's why the game succeeds where it could've easily failed.
  6. Nov 11, 2013
    One thing to make clear I only played single player, so the co-op experience might be different.
    Out of the three main Dead Space games for me this is the worst one. Although it's not bad, I feel disappointed. This is mainly because the story and atmosphere are less interesting and do not build up tension as well as the second Dead Space did. Cutscenes in which the player didn't know if Isaac was going crazy or possessed were substituted with some trivial lovers quarrel. The second important thing is the gameplay resources in previous games were quite sparse, but in this entry you usually have more ammo and health packs laying about, than you can pick up. There is very little point in saving them for later or even avoiding damage much, just fire away (normal difficulty).
    One last thing besides co-op I didn't notice this game bringing in much new stuff except for the weapon crafting (which is alright, but nothing special).

Still, it is a good game it just doesn't live up to its predecessors.
  7. Mar 21, 2014
    Pretty decent game, has a strong opening sequence, and strong characters, each with their own seemingly unique personalities. Not, however, entirely memorable or anything deserving of extremely high scores such as 9's or 10's.

The games swap and choose weapon customisation is well thought out and works pretty effectively, although the micro transactions get in the way, and this is a pretty large downfall of the game, despite not making a huge impact on the structure and gameplay itself.

The story seems pretty cliche, but they worked with what they had, and in the end I found running around on the frozen planet, not to mention flying around in semi-open space environments, rather satisfying, even when it was, at times, rather difficult. The story ended in a cliffhanger, seemingly a setup for a fourth, which doesn't strictly make sense to me (trilogies are always so neat...), though this could merely be my own speculation.

In the end, the gameplay was tricky, but only just fell short of the survival horror label that Dead Space deserves, but never seems to achieve. Yes, the game is riddled with quick time events, but these set pieces are merely to set the scene for the next big event.

There are a few new mechanics, including being able to fly the ship through the rubble when landing on Tau Volantis (ignore my spelling, please), a couple new puzzle mechanics, and the simple "get to cover or you'll freeze to death" concept when finally on the planet.

The game doesn't really offer the same scares that the originals did (in fact, far from it), but it still puts you in tense positions, dark corridors, and fatal situations. It works for me, but people deserve to point out that this is more of an action shooter than a survival horror, and I must agree; a lot of battling human enemies makes the horror aspect almost non existent, and I wished they'd focused more on genuine scares and panic situations, but there you go, I guess. EA at work. On the plus side, there is still plenty of hunter-hunted action, so people shouldn't get too down in that respect.

There are a lot of upgrades, different weapon customisations, and various suits, which keep the game going for a while, and allow for multiple playthroughs, to collect all audio logs, complete all side missions, and upgrade all equipment whilst at the same time testing out a plethora of different weapons. This, at least, was executed perfectly.

Overall, DS3 is a pretty solid game, once you get beyond it's deceiving outer shell and title. If they named it something else, I'm sure it would have been a far less bitter pill to swallow for all those die hard DS fans out there, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as it is anyway. Story ended up being actually worth something, horror aspects are not all gone, a lot of collectibles, tensions are still high, dark corridors are still there, creepy atmosphere has not gone at all, and co-op only really extends this experience. I can't disagree with what people are saying, but I still found this game wholly enjoyable, and I feel many others may also do so. Buy at your own discretion, but I personally found this to be a pretty worthwhile game.
  8. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm a huge Dead Space fan. But before I sound bias, let me say how disappointed I was in this game. It starts out great; it has jumps and scares, but loses momentum throughout the game. The ending is key. Without spoiling anything, lets just say that in the final 1/3 of the game, Dead Space takes a bold leap into what it doesn't know; Sci-fi. The latter half of the game still has greatI'm a huge Dead Space fan. But before I sound bias, let me say how disappointed I was in this game. It starts out great; it has jumps and scares, but loses momentum throughout the game. The ending is key. Without spoiling anything, lets just say that in the final 1/3 of the game, Dead Space takes a bold leap into what it doesn't know; Sci-fi. The latter half of the game still has great core-gameplay, but the story makes you think whether or not you enjoy what you're doing, and that's bad. The story drops off into the almost ridiculous and tries to go after a new market. Sure, the game is about killing alien zombies, but when it takes a turn to the "bigger" game, it falls and doesn't quite make the "better" mark. I wish Dead Space would've stuck to what it knows best; scares. In all honesty, the last part isn't scary, just confusing. With great graphics and gun play, it's a shame they tried to focus on story. All in all, it's a good game, but not what I had come to expect from a Dead Space game. Expand
  9. Jul 13, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is a pretty good third installment but the story was a little boring and the love triangle seemed forced. All in all I like Dead Space 2 more.
  10. Oct 2, 2014
    It seems the same thing that happened to Resident Evil with Resident Evil 5 has now reached the Dead Space series. Dead Space 3 is an action game not a horror game.There are some horror elements but nothing like in the first two games of the series. There's also a co-op mode and unfortunately there are certain parts of the game that can only be seen in co-op.

If Dead Space had always

If Dead Space had always been a co-op series then that would be fair enough but it's not and this seems unfair on people only playing for single-player. Which is the majority of people given it started out as single-player only. There are also microtransactions in Dead Space 3 which really shouldn't be in a console game at all.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are still as good now as they were when they were originally released. Unfortunately Dead Space 3 isn't on the same level as they are.
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    I had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have theI had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have the same atmosphere of ds2 the game is just not scary. Great game overall, just doesn't feel like a dead space game Expand
  12. Nov 22, 2014
    This is easily the worst game out of the trilogy. It has even more quick-time events, micro-transaction nonsense, horrible enemy AI, and the biggest problem: awful plot. I flat out face-palmed with this embarrassing love triangle thrown in to a game that is suppose to be tense and horrific. The only terror comes from having to put up with these stupid characters that had promise in theThis is easily the worst game out of the trilogy. It has even more quick-time events, micro-transaction nonsense, horrible enemy AI, and the biggest problem: awful plot. I flat out face-palmed with this embarrassing love triangle thrown in to a game that is suppose to be tense and horrific. The only terror comes from having to put up with these stupid characters that had promise in the series only to be used as plot devices to push the story in a certain direction. It is one of the most predictable games I have ever played. This isn't a survival-horror game, this is a generic shooter with a bad plot and a love triangle that is so forced it makes the player feel awkward for having such bad writing.

90 percent of what made this series good is missing from this masquerade of a survival horror game.

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.