6.4

1. Nov 24, 2013
    Just this one time, I know it's tempting to just follow the crowd, but please ignore the internet. If you loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2 then Dead Space 3 will not disappoint. The change of pace is a welcome addition, the light RPG elements from the previous games have been refined and for some bizzare reason the open spaces are more terrifying than the enclosed spaces. The co-op is solid in execution but it does tend to take away 85% of the scare factor. But Dead Space 3 is awesome in a terrifying way, in the same respect that Dead Space 2 was terrifying in an awesome way. Expand
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    Pretty decent game, has a strong opening sequence, and strong characters, each with their own seemingly unique personalities. Not, however, entirely memorable or anything deserving of extremely high scores such as 9's or 10's.

The games swap and choose weapon customisation is well thought out and works pretty effectively, although the micro transactions get in the way, and this is a
    pretty large downfall of the game, despite not making a huge impact on the structure and gameplay itself.

The story seems pretty cliche, but they worked with what they had, and in the end I found running around on the frozen planet, not to mention flying around in semi-open space environments, rather satisfying, even when it was, at times, rather difficult. The story ended in a cliffhanger, seemingly a setup for a fourth, which doesn't strictly make sense to me (trilogies are always so neat...), though this could merely be my own speculation.

In the end, the gameplay was tricky, but only just fell short of the survival horror label that Dead Space deserves, but never seems to achieve. Yes, the game is riddled with quick time events, but these set pieces are merely to set the scene for the next big event.

There are a few new mechanics, including being able to fly the ship through the rubble when landing on Tau Volantis (ignore my spelling, please), a couple new puzzle mechanics, and the simple "get to cover or you'll freeze to death" concept when finally on the planet.

The game doesn't really offer the same scares that the originals did (in fact, far from it), but it still puts you in tense positions, dark corridors, and fatal situations. It works for me, but people deserve to point out that this is more of an action shooter than a survival horror, and I must agree; a lot of battling human enemies makes the horror aspect almost non existent, and I wished they'd focused more on genuine scares and panic situations, but there you go, I guess. EA at work. On the plus side, there is still plenty of hunter-hunted action, so people shouldn't get too down in that respect.

There are a lot of upgrades, different weapon customisations, and various suits, which keep the game going for a while, and allow for multiple playthroughs, to collect all audio logs, complete all side missions, and upgrade all equipment whilst at the same time testing out a plethora of different weapons. This, at least, was executed perfectly.

Overall, DS3 is a pretty solid game, once you get beyond it's deceiving outer shell and title. If they named it something else, I'm sure it would have been a far less bitter pill to swallow for all those die hard DS fans out there, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as it is anyway. Story ended up being actually worth something, horror aspects are not all gone, a lot of collectibles, tensions are still high, dark corridors are still there, creepy atmosphere has not gone at all, and co-op only really extends this experience. I can't disagree with what people are saying, but I still found this game wholly enjoyable, and I feel many others may also do so. Buy at your own discretion, but I personally found this to be a pretty worthwhile game.
  3. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm a huge Dead Space fan. But before I sound bias, let me say how disappointed I was in this game. It starts out great; it has jumps and scares, but loses momentum throughout the game. The ending is key. Without spoiling anything, lets just say that in the final 1/3 of the game, Dead Space takes a bold leap into what it doesn't know; Sci-fi. The latter half of the game still has great core-gameplay, but the story makes you think whether or not you enjoy what you're doing, and that's bad. The story drops off into the almost ridiculous and tries to go after a new market. Sure, the game is about killing alien zombies, but when it takes a turn to the "bigger" game, it falls and doesn't quite make the "better" mark. I wish Dead Space would've stuck to what it knows best; scares. In all honesty, the last part isn't scary, just confusing. With great graphics and gun play, it's a shame they tried to focus on story. All in all, it's a good game, but not what I had come to expect from a Dead Space game. Expand
  4. Jul 13, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is a pretty good third installment but the story was a little boring and the love triangle seemed forced. All in all I like Dead Space 2 more.
  5. Jul 16, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game I have played in my entire life. Half of it is decent and the other half is frustratingly broken. I got this game for Free from PS Plus and I want my money back!
  6. Oct 2, 2014
    It seems the same thing that happened to Resident Evil with Resident Evil 5 has now reached the Dead Space series. Dead Space 3 is an action game not a horror game.There are some horror elements but nothing like in the first two games of the series. There's also a co-op mode and unfortunately there are certain parts of the game that can only be seen in co-op.

If Dead Space had always
    been a co-op series then that would be fair enough but it's not and this seems unfair on people only playing for single-player. Which is the majority of people given it started out as single-player only. There are also microtransactions in Dead Space 3 which really shouldn't be in a console game at all.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are still as good now as they were when they were originally released. Unfortunately Dead Space 3 isn't on the same level as they are.
  7. Aug 17, 2014
    This game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactions to play a single-player game.

Everything adds up to a huge 1, 1 it gets for graphics, but would rather look at my computers wallpaper background of the Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 2 for 9 hours than play this **** anymore. Why not loop big buck bunny on repeat for 9 hours, still a better story than this crap.
  8. Aug 24, 2014
    I had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have the same atmosphere of ds2 the game is just not scary. Great game overall, just doesn't feel like a dead space game Expand
  9. Oct 15, 2014
    When compared to previous games, this experience may not be as satisfying, since missing horror elements, but it packs some intense action!

New features are weapon crafting, and co-op.
    Crafting weapons is fun, because the number of options you have, when building your own weapons. Only downside with this is that you're able to create powerful guns, that eliminate the need of limb
    chopping, which was very important aspect for surviving in previous titles.
    Co-op is optional, and you can still play the game alone, wihtout AI-partner. Nice addtition would've been split-screen co-op for local multiplayer,just like in Resident evil 5 & 6.

Biggest problem with this game is the increased action, and decreased horror. First half of the game is played at abandoned space station, and you feel isolated just like in Dead Space 1. But this changes when you start exploring frozen planet, and start encountering fights with soldiers etc. Third Dead Space tries to focus more on the story and the origin of your enemies, but I didn't experience the story that interesting, but more cliche-like, with the goal to save world etc.

With less action, more horror and atmosphere, this game would've received a better welcome from the fans of Dead Space 1 & 2.

If you're new with Dead Space, and like action, then this is a great game for you to play! If you're looking for horror games, you should play the previous titles.

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.