7.8

1. Jun 27, 2014
    This review can taken with a large grain of salt as to your decision in purchasing it.
    When I bought this game, I was expecting something akin to Silent Hill and for the most part I guess it is similar to that in that of the old resident evils.

A lot of people say that the story was the strongest point of this game. The thing is, you have to stomach through the game mechanics and
    incredibly rough visuals and framerates to do so. Guns sound like those old pop guns you could play with as a child. The framerate in even empty areas was horrendous. Looking about 23-30 fps. Nothing really flowed to counter act this as far as moving around etc. went.

I could not get into the game at all because of these issues. I got a fair way into it I suppose (though not knowing exactly where it ends that could be loosely taken in) but I absolutely could NOT get passed the horrendous framerate. This is something I would've expected from a PS1. I would say give it a shot if it's 15 bucks or less. Other than that, I simply could not recommend it.
  2. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is a failed attempt to bring back the survival horror. Well this game is very bad, and it's embarrasing the genre. The storyline is no interesting, the characters are uninsipred and they have a boring personality. The controls are incredible bad, specially the driving mechanics.
    I saw the gameplay until i get too bored, i was incredibly dissapointed because this game is too far
    to even look like an horror game. The enemies in this game are very slow, and does not matter if you hit him in the head or in the body, the damage is always the same. They are not a real threat. The storyline is very confusing and it's no interesting. The music is terrible bad, it's out of place, they put a happy music in an horror game, like they are joking, whata piece of trash this game is.
    Stay away from this abomination please and try better games like SH Downpour or wait for Evil Within.
  3. Apr 14, 2014
    Amazing game a must have if u like horror games.This game reminds me alot to games like beyond two souls and heavy rain.Deadly Premonition is insane, boring, broken, masochistic, repetitive and ridiculous experience which can sometimes frustrate you to tears, it has terrible production values and trashy gameplay, but still this is one of the best games I've ever played and I enjoyed every minute of it.
    You play as an FBI agent who just came to the city of Greenvale to investigate a murder case - quite a classic story, which sounds a bit chiche on paper, but everything in this game is different. In fact, this is some kind of mix between Twin Peaks, Silent Hill and Grand Theft Auto with real-time clock and full life simulation. (Imagine if Grand Theft Auto would told you the story of Twin Peaks borrowing Silent Hill's atmosphere and gameplay.)
    To keep yourself afloat you should eat, sleep, change your clothes and even shave your beard which is very original and funny thing for a videogame. You can also spy on the residents of Greenvale from your car like a real cop drinking coffee and eating pancakes while monitoring their daily lives. You can even peek through the windows when they're at home and see many interesting things if you came there at the right time. It's nearly impossible to see all the game's content in one playthrough, but the lush to explore more never goes away so it may take you almost 40 hours to beat the game.
    To avoid some accidental spoilers I won't talk much about the plot, but honestly it seems very boring and even unbearable at first (the game sometimes relies on Twin Peaks too much) but after about 3-4 hours of gameplay it finally catches you and won't let you go until the final credits. Just wait until you'll know all the characters in the theater, then you'll realize what this game is about. This town is full of subplots, dark secrets and mysteries. The game have one of the best JRPG-style love-stories ever made. You will cry **** tears at the end of Episode 7!
    The characters is the strongest point of the game, they seem to be very well developed and real, every one of them have many different stories and much of background with troubled past. Even the main character have some kind of split-personality which makes him discuss music and movies with his imaginable friend during the trips between missions.
    The weakest point is the actual gameplay. It's hit or miss, mostly miss, it's very easy, repetitive and boring experience filled with cloned enemies and easy puzzles compared with survival horror canons, but thank "Forest Goddesses" those encounters happen not so often so this won't bother your journey too much. Just keep in mind that there shouldn't be any gunplay in this game, it have been added in haste at the very late stages of development.
    So if you're a fan of Twin Peaks, Silent Hill and survival horrors in general and you think that you can forgive this game for a terrible game-design and clunky gameplay you should definitely give it a shot. C
  4. Mar 2, 2014
  5. Feb 11, 2014
    Awesome game! Aside from the fact this game has graphics that remind me of a PSP game the world of Deadly Premonition was actually made quite well, amazing characters to go with a fantastic story. Great voice acting work by every character. Francis York Morgan is probably one of the most interesting video game characters ever created with his odd personality. People say that Deadly Premonition is a love or hate thing and to that I say I don't understand how people don't like this game. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2013
    Although the game feels very eerie I found it virtually unplayable. Respawning enmies are not off this time but the controls and gameplay are just aweful.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    This game dosent have a great and constant plot and its graphics are ass and its just plain not great but its so much fun to play so that's what really counts
  8. Sis
    Sep 19, 2013
    This game wins so much on humor and comedy that I just get a feel of joy when I play it. It has a great story that you wanna follow all the way through and the characters are funny and interesting. All though this game may lose some for it's extremely easy difficulty and the story's slow pace, the quality of the story more than make up for it. I also like the big open-world landscape and how your car has all the functions of a real car. In general, you should go buy this game, because it's well worth your time to play it. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2013
    An excellent display of cult/B-movie mentality. The game is surreal, it could be a a mix of dreams, nightmares and all the nonsense that the subconscious makes while we're dreaming. This is the main reason I believe, that this game has received so much criticism. Most things really don't make any sense, but all this nonsense-silly bag of emotions is an enjoyable rollercoaster through the surreal characters and places of Greensvale. It is almost a testament, a tribute to all cult-related art. Think of it as a game that resembles the mentality behind "Twin Peaks" or any other David Lynch work for that matter. Beautiful, yet strange and incoherent.

Surely, the technical aspects of the game are almost broken. In the PS3 version, there is severe frame skipping, occasional freezing and stuttering. But this is not a frantic FPS, so all these really dont get in your way or ruin the experience. I'd also like to praise the game's soundtrack, which is simply amazing. From the dreamlike main theme, to all the background music during the investigations, it continuously reminds you that you're now in the twisted, surreal, b-movie setting that is Greensvale. All in all, I'd recommend this to all fans of cult thrillers, movies and series, the blend of humour with scariness is spot on.
  10. Aug 1, 2013
    The main thing I can say about Deadly Premonition is that this game is not for everyone. REALLY. It isn't. First of all it has incredibly bad graphics (like a bad PS2 game) and the controls are clunky and outdated. It looks, sounds and plays like a very bad game. On the other hand, it has a FANTASTIC story, dialogues, cast of characters and a sense of investigation that put this game on par with L.A. Noire I am not joking. It is kind of GTAish and Resident Evil-Silent Hillish at the same time, with a structure where the game is divided in chapters and episodes (like a TV show). Fans of Twin Peaks will immediately connect to this game and maybe this is the reason why I gradually went from shocked with how bad this game looks to completely hooked just to see how this ABSOLUTELY CRAZY story would unfold. It's a hidden gem, no question about it. But, again, not for everyone. Expand
  11. Jul 24, 2013
    The graphics may be a little outdated but what's underneath the covers is what counts, to me anyway (and that's all that matters for this review). In this day and age where it's all about pretty pictures and weak AI (or no AI, just point and shoot), this game is a breath of fresh air. There is an ominous presence watching you in this game; in spite of the lead character being a superfreak profiler, all the extra baggage that comes along with this great talent seems to have caught up with him. The great metaphysical balance of the universe must be restored, or Morgan becomes a demigod of sorts... so we have this story of how he is going to be brought down to earth. I love it! The campy graphics are actually a plus and not a minus. It's a good mix of open world and linear cut scene interludes of which come across quite nicely. I highly recomment this game to anyone who likes the Criminal Minds TV show that is melded with straight outright horror. Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2013
    Great game. It is outstanding compared to the other games on the same genre. If you really enjoy games like these... trust me, this is one of the best titles you can get for a low price.
  13. May 21, 2013
    I missed this title on the 360, mostly due to the mixed reception in received, I was always curious about it but considering it had just as much praise as it did hate for it I never got around to playing it. When I heard a directors cut was coming out for PS3 with better controls and more content I decided it was finally time to try it out, and I'm glad I did. The whole game has some sort of weird charm to it all. This is one of the most bizarre games I've ever played with it's unique and weird gameplay and characters. My favorite part of this game is the story and characters, the game is just so well written that I was completely invested in its characters and their fates and was dying to see every cutscene. The voice acting and soundtrack are excellent. The soundtrack in particular deserves high praise because of how it can change the mood in an instant and make it all feel natural. The graphics however are dated, but they somehow only help to pull you into the game. This is that rare kind of game that uses its flaws to help improve the experience. Don't ask me how it does it, it just does. The gameplay is a mix between your standard survival horror game and a open world adventure game complete with tons of side-quests. The survival horror sections are just about what you would expect, you'll battle your way through creepy environments all while battling monsters and solving puzzles. These sections are really enjoyable and pack some truly scary moments. The open world sections are admittedly where most of the games flaws lie. It's frustrating to navigate at first due to the awkward map system, making it hard to figure out where you are to go and when. But eventually you'll get used to this so it wont be an issue, and like I said before this is the type of game that's flaw only help to pull you into the experience. It's true that the game has flaws, but these issues never stopped this from being one of the best games I've ever played. So if you haven't played Deadly Premonition before there's no better time than the present. The extra story content and improved controls should make it easier to enjoy this time around. Go out and get this game, trust me you wont regret it. Collapse
  14. May 14, 2013
    framerate sucks (on X360 was ok)
    - audio glitches
    - boss battles sucks if u dont have special weapons (or/and heath kits)
    - boring driving (and steering sucks)
    - too big and empty open world (doest encourage to do side quests)

Other that that... interesting story and atmosphere.
  15. May 8, 2013
    -York is just genius
    -solving a case feeling
    -card collecting, buy/change clothes, real-time beard, coffee reading, and so on...
    -addictive, rewarding sidemissions

-dumb ending that destroys everything
    -very poor QTEs
    -QTEs mechanics like made by a four-year old kid
  16. May 7, 2013
    This is, in many ways, Twin Peaks the video game. Often absurd, sometimes brilliant, occasionally dreadful, but always compelling. Answers to the myriad of questions are marginally more satisfactory in the director's cut and perhaps the best thing that can be said about the new content (cutscenes) is that they bring a degree of internal consistency to the narrative. Play this game. You might hate or love it (perhaps both?) but whatever happens it'll make you'll feel *something*... and that is more than can be said for most video games. Expand
  17. May 6, 2013
    An unique and important game with a fantastic story and characters. To bad this "definite" Director's Cut version has grave problems with framerate and sound that were absent in the 360 version.
  18. May 4, 2013
    While still retaining the great story, characters and adding a bit more with 5 minutes of extra footage setting the game up for a sequel, the game has bit of problems that have been added as well that stem from washed out visuals, very choppy framerate and the sound design being hampered in lots of areas such as when agent York has conversations with his Zach, (the voice in his head) the sound starts becoming like listening to someone talking into a can. While these problems wont turn away most newcomers, existing fans should probably stick to the original due to the problems mentioned, lack of difficulty settings limiting you to just play easy mode, and not much new content other than new suits or the new footage before and after each chapter. For newcomers or people that don't have an xbox though, this game is a must buy and should be played by any gamer who loves survival horror, twin peaks or just plain insanity. It's still a great game, but just missing out on the deep red or green filters that gave the original such an atmosphere bugged me a bit. They may have taken the green out of Greenvale a bit and given you a blue cement lake, but it's still worth a purchase to at least bring in support for a sequel, because games like this are few and far between these days. Expand
  19. May 1, 2013
    One factor may cause people to think this game is not worth picking up is totally its dated graphics, which is more due to its low budget. PS3 version resolution is increased to 720P, the camera scale and view is much better and there are so many graphical enhancements in comparison to Xbox version, but sure it does still looks quiet outdated, smt between PS2 and PS3 era.
    However, game
    does manage to have a very interesting plot which engages u in it, its filled with weird and interesting characters, creepy enemies, horrifying moments and finally a much more pleasing ending than the xbox version due to involving more cut scenes.
    Its a an open world survival horror game, smt which comes out rarely, its hard to manage to build a good open world mixed with horror theme, but as the matter of fact the team somehow managed to make it quiet good, through out the game, story is being told interestingly, you get chance to drive your car around the town and explore different places, and of course u will end up fighting monsters. Good news is the combat system and control scheme have been improved quiet much and made the game playable. Some people werent able to continue the game on Xbox due to the issues it had and its difficulty level. Fortunately PS3 version is balanced out very well and there are not so many problems with it,
    Finally, its one of those types of games that whether you will enjoy or you will hate it for rest of your life.But i do recommend it for fans of horror games because truly its really better than mistakes konami and capcom have made by injecting too much action elements in their legendary horror games such as RE and SH.
    if you arent fan of horror game, well better dont pick it up
  20. Apr 30, 2013
    i played zombiu for wiiu when it came out and that was really great, but this is great in a different way. i think the plot is a bit more in depth and some of the character development schemes are more elaborate. the levels are short but the difficulty becomes way harder, seemingly impossible, about halfway through. check it out for sure.
  21. May 21, 2013

1. Deadly Premonition's saving grace is its main character York, who obviously has more than one screw loose and grants the game its unique and confusing sense of humour. He talks to an invisible friend, reads mysterious signs in his morning coffee and talks about people as if they aren't standing right next to him. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Jul 30, 2013
    Highly recommended to those not afraid of experiments and wanting to play something truly unique.
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    Although the "director's cut" edition is slightly worse than the original, Deadly Premonition remains on the most bizarre games ever made. If you are in the mood for something completely unique try it out, but be prepared for a strange ride.