7.2

1. Jun 26, 2013

LONG REVIEW

Perhaps the best thing that can be said about Deadpool is that it has some of the funniest, enjoyable and frantic writing I've seen in any video game. This is where Deadpool really shines, and this is saying a lot considering a lot of the game runs solely from joke to joke and remains enjoyable throughout. Sure, the jokes don't always hit their mark, but they definitely hit more times than they miss, and when dealing with a character such as this, there's really no fourth wall to be broken, and it's quite a feat to not only write a video game around this concept, but to do it so, so well. Deadpool will constantly make references to the game's script, the player experiencing the game, the developer, Marvel characters, and so on. The writing in this game is certainly top notch for something that doesn't have much story to speak of. I was floored by how well High Moon nailed the character.

The blemishes start to show themselves everywhere else, though. Arkham City Deadpool is not, and to its credit, it never aimed to be. The game is a straight up 3rd person run n' gun brawler, complete with a weapon upgrade system and seldom stealth sections. While none of these things work terribly, they definitely hit below par. Overall the gameplay here feels unpolished. In comparing this game to something like God of War, there's no contest; technically speaking, God of War would be the better 3rd person brawler. Deadpool is more akin to something like 2007's visual vibrant playground, Afro Samurai. Where gameplay fails, aesthetics and batsh** insanity even the score. That is, if that's your thing of course.

Controlling Deadpool feels wonky. It seems as though his footsteps don't exactly match the center of gravity in the middle of the screen, and the camera can control wildly at times while not really being able to keep up with all of the intensely violent action. The auto lock-on for guns is just barely not broken, in the sense that it works when it wants to. If enemies are too close to the camera, however, the lock-on is just nigh of useless. However, lock-on aside, the guns in this game actually control very fluidly. Aiming around the screen controls exactly like a first person shooter. Think Saints Row gunplay but with a few tweaks, such as an aim button to zoom in, to make it feel more controlled. It's quite a lot of fun.

Melee weapons in this game are absolutely a blast to play around with. Though you're limited to katanas, sais and hammers, I found myself switching between the three a lot due to their strengths and weaknesses. The hammer is slow and bad for combos, but deals massive damage. The sais are quick and great for combos, but are generally weak when it comes to damage. This is a lot of fun to play around with, mixing between the light/heavy attacks that so many games of this nature work with. All in all, combat in Deadpool could stand to be a bit tightened when it comes to general fluidity, but it certainly has some well implemented ideas, such as weapon upgrades for damage, speed, etc., and all weapons control well enough that it's not a problem to pick up and play.

The combat does however get very tedious, and this is largely due to the fact that the game is essentially sets of corridors leading to open environments that lead to wildly insane, irreverent set pieces full of the same 6 or 7 enemies, rinse and repeat. Not that these enemies aren't interesting, mind you. Most have unique enough attacks that keep them from becoming too stale, but this system of corridors leading to open environments just to flex the game's combat muscle makes up most of the game.

When the game isn't focusing on the combat all the time, it's full of amazing variety. From a turret shooting gallery that deconstructs the turret trope in video games to light puzzle solving, it's actually quite amazing that the game gets stale at all.

I think the main problem with Deadpool is that, even with a respectable enough amount of enemy variety, most enemies don't require different tactics. You'll find yourself using the same shotgun to take down the smallest of enemies to the largest, and boss fights are exactly the same, just with more difficult sets of attacks tied to them. This is the only reason Deadpool gets stale at all, and it's a shame, because underneath these problems there is a great game here.

Deadpool does just enough to remain interesting throughout, and more times than not I found myself shooting through the enemies just to see where the writing and Deadpool would take themselves. This isn't inherently a bad thing because like I said, the writing here and the implementation of it is what makes the game so interesting. It's just a same that it's can be a bland experience.

After all of this it may sound like I'm hating on this game, but I'm not. I loved my time playing through its short campaign, and challenge maps are there for those who enjoy them. It just misses its mark by just a few missteps.
  2. Aug 30, 2013
    Deadpool: Excellent and sometimes absolutely hilarious, the game play however is not as fun. Story: Pretty much non-existent, Deadpool is simply messing around the place with members of the X-men and chasing after Mister Sinister for pretty much the whole game. There are standout moments in this game including: slapping Wolverine over and over again, Cable's long talk to Deadpool andDeadpool: Excellent and sometimes absolutely hilarious, the game play however is not as fun. Story: Pretty much non-existent, Deadpool is simply messing around the place with members of the X-men and chasing after Mister Sinister for pretty much the whole game. There are standout moments in this game including: slapping Wolverine over and over again, Cable's long talk to Deadpool and somehow speaking to a random desperate person before killing an enemy. Combat is very repetitive, different weapons don't really do that much to change the experience and it can take ages to level up different things. Overall a decent game that would've been amazing if High Moon Studios had put as much effort into combat as they did with humor. 7/10. Expand
  3. Jul 22, 2013
    Overall just a delightful laugh. The game play is mildly short but amusing the whole way through. Not a whole lot of substance but I didn't regret picking it up. When you want a break from all the serious games, go ahead and pick up Deadpool.
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    This game is very basic. Developer took the 'safe" road when making this. It was fun at times and up grades were a blast. The game is worth $39.99 CAD
  5. Aug 26, 2013
    Deadpool is one of the most fun games I have played in a long time. This game is just pure fun. It's what most games these days are lacking. Its great that game companies are trying to continuously push the envelope with better graphics and new ways of playing games, but sometimes the tried and true gaming mechanics work just fine. The combat is nothing groundbreaking, but it works greatDeadpool is one of the most fun games I have played in a long time. This game is just pure fun. It's what most games these days are lacking. Its great that game companies are trying to continuously push the envelope with better graphics and new ways of playing games, but sometimes the tried and true gaming mechanics work just fine. The combat is nothing groundbreaking, but it works great with the style of the game. The controls, combat, and upgrades are so much fun to use. The game design, atmosphere, and graphics are definitely better than average. What steals the show and makes this game stand out compared to other games though is its awesome humor, comic book artstyle implementation, badass combat moves, and hilarious what the moments. It also has some of the best breaking the 4th wall dialogue and scenes ever. This game reminded me of the nintendo64 days when games were just pure fun. Maybe the graphics weren't as great, but the gameplay just continuously put a smile on your face. Thanks HighMoonStudios for making a kickass game!!! Hope the game sells well and hope to see more content like this!!! Expand
  6. Apr 16, 2014
    Marvel's most popular "underdog" (of some sort) Deadpool is truly the star in his very first game. Because besides the Merc with the Mouth -- his voice actor, Nolan North, who delivers some of the funniest dialogue in a Marvel video game ever, and the writing staff -- are about the only starring qualities in this overall generic action-adventure. Pros: The cartoony, crude, often sexistMarvel's most popular "underdog" (of some sort) Deadpool is truly the star in his very first game. Because besides the Merc with the Mouth -- his voice actor, Nolan North, who delivers some of the funniest dialogue in a Marvel video game ever, and the writing staff -- are about the only starring qualities in this overall generic action-adventure. Pros: The cartoony, crude, often sexist humor should leave anyone that's been following Deadpool since his Cable & Deadpool days with cracked ribs. Cons: Limited campaign and multiplayer mode; limited unlockables; frustrating camera; generic level design; repetitive combat; short and shallow. Expand
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    If you are a fan of Deadpool, then this is a solid 8/10 and a very well written and funny game while staying mostly true to the characters comic background. However if you are not a Deadpool or a Marvel fan I would strongly recommend renting this game. It is between 5-6 hours long, has little replay vale (and i say that from the perspective of being a HUGE deapool fan). I would love toIf you are a fan of Deadpool, then this is a solid 8/10 and a very well written and funny game while staying mostly true to the characters comic background. However if you are not a Deadpool or a Marvel fan I would strongly recommend renting this game. It is between 5-6 hours long, has little replay vale (and i say that from the perspective of being a HUGE deapool fan). I would love to give this game an 8/10 but the added challenge maps are boring and redundant with no difference from the Campaign. Expand
  8. Sep 24, 2014
    Ok right off the bat, this game is by far the funniest game I have ever played. Yes the gameplay gets boring, the levels are repetitive, the rpg elements are underdeveloped, and the story is too short. But, I have played through the entire campaign 3 times simply due to it's humor, comic book-esque art style, and over all it's fun. Sure I could only put maybe one or two hours into it at aOk right off the bat, this game is by far the funniest game I have ever played. Yes the gameplay gets boring, the levels are repetitive, the rpg elements are underdeveloped, and the story is too short. But, I have played through the entire campaign 3 times simply due to it's humor, comic book-esque art style, and over all it's fun. Sure I could only put maybe one or two hours into it at a time before I got bored, but the game was super fun and made me laugh so hard to the brink of self urination. Although Deadpools debut as a main character in a game was a rocky one, it still left me satisfied and chuckling at how well they captured the essence of the "Merc with a Mouth". I have never laughed so hard playing a game before and I've never felt so stupid playing a multiplayer mode with my friends. Overall Deadpool was an essential gaming experience for any gamer who wants to laugh themselves stupid, and hear the match made in heaven of voice acting that is Nolan North as Deadpool. Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    If you're looking to purchase Deadpool for an Arkham Asylum/City experience. Turn back now, this isn't your game. This is a video game parody, featuring Deadpool.

The voice acting is superbly done by Nolan North, the combat is nothing new and isn't smooth at least frame rate wise. The game is pretty raunchy, but if you know Deadpool or are a fan of Deadpool you'll enjoy this title. This won't be going up for any game of the year awards but if you're looking for a game filled with immature jokes and gore you've found your title.

The game lasts about 6 hours, with limited replay-ability based on your desire to platinum the title. I don't regret the $50 one bit. I knew what I was getting when I bought it.

Again this is a video game parody (meaning it pokes fun at how video games are made and played) filled with raunchy jokes. If that's right up your ally, then Deadpool is a must have for you.
  10. Jun 28, 2013
    Deadpool es real mente malo, pero tiene algo que lo hace muy entretenido!! Y es el protagonista!! Después todo mal como la IA enemiga, es de las perores que hay!
  11. Jul 8, 2014
    It's funny Game. Different jokes in different situations makes game valuable and funny. Game play is not the best and few glitches is in the game but no serious problems. Story is also too small(6-8hours). Actually that's it what the game is all about... Still funny game, recommend to only buy it on sales. 6/10
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    Deadpool is like that uncle in the family who insists on telling unfunny jokes. You want to laugh with him because you respect him, instead you laugh at him out of pity. As a fan of the character, that's how this title feels to me. There's just soo much wrong with it. Bland environments, bugs, repetitive combat ,etc.
    Deadpool is such a cool character in the Marvel multiverse. He deserves
    Deadpool is such a cool character in the Marvel multiverse. He deserves a great game.. this isn't it. There is some fun to be had though ,being that the gore factor is only comparable to the likes of Wolverine as far as Marvel games go, enemy appendages go flying with the slightest button mash. There are also moments where you feel like an invincible badass assassin. Some of the jokes can actually be funny at times too, since it's relatively uncharted territory in gaming. It's not great but If you see this in a bargain bin, at least give it a try. It's good for dumb summer fun.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    I have to rate this game a bit higher than lower because of 2 things. It was fun, it was funny. Does this game have flaws? Yes. Thankfully the repetitive combat and bland levels are less of a concern thanks to Deadpools personality & the story.

When it came down to it, all I really wanted to do was get through the levels so I could see the next part of the story.
  14. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't love this game by any means. It's decent at best. But with the unforgettable and lovable cast of characters, crude humor (as expected of the Deadpool series), and, at times, intense game play, this is a wonderful experience to blast through if you find yourself with a little extra time.

When we're first introduced to our favorite Merc with a Mouth, he is alone and bored in his apartment building, listening to his answering machine for messages left by other characters that appear sometime later in the game, whether it is full-on physical appearances or just voice-overs. The last voice mail that he receives is from the director of High Moon Studios, telling him how his game idea was rejected. Deadpool being Deadpool though, breaks the 4th wall almost right off the bat and after some "persuading," the director agrees and our hero becomes bewildered when he hears that they are working on a script for him.
    Now I want to touch on the voice acting which may be the best thing out of this entire game (aside from the clever writing that accompanies it). Nolan North has done an excellent job at breathing life into his role as Deadpool. He captures the essential lack-of-mindset that has really gotten Deadpool most of his popularity. The rest of the cast does a great job as well although it is Nolan who really is the star of the show here.
    The environments are pretty, although they are a bit rough around the edges here and there. You can tell that High Moon used images over and over again at spots and it became rather lackluster at times. I applaud their efforts, but it could've used a bit of trimming up and if they had spent half the time they used writing all the jokes for this game as they did into their graphics department, then we could've seen almost Naughty Dog standards here (who am I kidding though; that's not really possible).
    The combat is repetitive at times. I'll be honest: I bought the damn shotgun and, after upgrading it at different points when I had enough DP (Deadpool) points, I could've blown through this game with no problem. I didn't though just for the sake of playing the game "right," if you will. And as for stealth---what stealth? I could barely tell (and the game could barely decide) when I was in stealth mode or not. The boss fight at the end will give you a bit of frustration and at times the enemies will also be overwhelming, but you'll be able to blow through most hordes without much of a bruise on your pretty little self.
    Now the big issue. I'll come out and say that you'll only get about five to six hours worth of game out of this. Sure there are challenges that you can do with leaderboards, but the combat was boring enough! Usually with such a short game that isn't Indie, I was expecting some multiplayer element to be implemented. I'm not sure what, but SOMETHING! ANYTHING, High Moon!

So just to recap:
    + Wonderful voice acting.
    + Funny and crude humor (if you're up for it)
    + Pretty but reused environments.
    - Boring and repetitive combat.
    - Too short with only a few challenges after

Overall: 6/10
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    Dead-pool is a game that is a game based on comedy. Lots of comedy. The comedy spans from inappropriate jokes to many fourth wall breaking moments. It makes fun of other games and itself as well. The combat is rather dull at first but gets better with due time. Dead-pool's character and the voices inside his head are all voiced by Nolan North. In my opinion this game deserves a 7.0 becauseDead-pool is a game that is a game based on comedy. Lots of comedy. The comedy spans from inappropriate jokes to many fourth wall breaking moments. It makes fun of other games and itself as well. The combat is rather dull at first but gets better with due time. Dead-pool's character and the voices inside his head are all voiced by Nolan North. In my opinion this game deserves a 7.0 because it has lots of comedy and it supports Dead-pool's character because-as we all know- Dead-pool is a comedic character. But, the game gets easier as you progress and it gets kind of boring. 7.0 is my final answer. Random Reviewer, away! Expand
  16. Jun 26, 2013

LONG REVIEW

1. But then it hits us, Deadpool is not a game, it is a parody of a game. Of the kind of games you would see when a new Thor movie hits the theaters. All the elements that make such a game are to be found in Deadpool. Collecting coins or orbs, shallow combat and a horde of identical enemies (Deadpool: "are they all brothers?). [September p.74]
  2. Aug 19, 2013
    What it lacks in quality, Deadpool compensates with bragging and dick jokes.
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    If we took all the dark humor, the protagonist rudeness and the gratuitous violence out of Deadpool: The Videogame, we would be talking about a worthless game. These few qualities will enable us to have a good time playing it, even though they wouldn't justify at all the purchase of this game... Unless it was on sale.