DeathSpank PlayStation 3

7.7

1. Oct 23, 2010
    First off, this game is definitely worth playing. It is a fun and funny hack-n-slash Diablo-type action-rpg. The game kept me entertained from start to finish, unfortunately that was only for around 11 hours (that's with completing all side-quests). While I did laugh much during my adventure, I couldn't help but feel that most of the humor was aimed at a junior high audience. The levelFirst off, this game is definitely worth playing. It is a fun and funny hack-n-slash Diablo-type action-rpg. The game kept me entertained from start to finish, unfortunately that was only for around 11 hours (that's with completing all side-quests). While I did laugh much during my adventure, I couldn't help but feel that most of the humor was aimed at a junior high audience. The level system was neat, but I wish it was more in-depth. The armor and weapon selection was impressive, but I still felt that I was always forced to buy the next armor/weapon up to continue to the next territory. Fortunately, you do end up looting a lot of gold, but towards the end you have nothing to spend it on. Lastly, I am sure other games have done this, but I loved the food and potion mechanics. Potions are more expensive, but fill your life instantly, while food is fairly cheap, but restores health overtime. Despite my criticisms, this game is worth playing and set a a good foundation for what I hope will be many sequels. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2010
    This is nothing more than a Gauntlet style hack n slash game. It is supposed to be dressed up in a novel and comical way, but the lack of interesting gameplay does this one in. The fact there is a sequel a month later kills it. It is a game, but I can't think of a real reason to play this beyond the title's stupid sexual undertone. Lame.
  3. Sep 15, 2010
    Deathspank is, in no uncertain terms, saved by it hilarious dialogue and paradoxical humour, but strip it away and what your left with is a bargain bucket experience identical to every other hacky-slash-button-mashy adventure game in the ether. With a plot so childish and full of holes it resembles the victim of a firing squad and a paralysed combat system that doesn't evolve beyond "MSAHDeathspank is, in no uncertain terms, saved by it hilarious dialogue and paradoxical humour, but strip it away and what your left with is a bargain bucket experience identical to every other hacky-slash-button-mashy adventure game in the ether. With a plot so childish and full of holes it resembles the victim of a firing squad and a paralysed combat system that doesn't evolve beyond "MSAH TAH BUTTNZ", the game falls down a well from a gameplay perspective, but it's beautifully written, genuinely funny, and not afraid to take the piss, with Deathspank booming, in his frankly brilliant voice, "GREETINGS NON-PLAYER CHARACTER" or when asked if he's never seen a dog before, he booms, "NEVER FROM THE OUTSIDE" implying Deathspank has sex with animals. All in all, funny but flawed. Expand

1. Jan 15, 2011
    DeathSpank has stylish "paper cut-outs" as characters and scenery (which are especially impressive at a full HD resolution on PC), sharp dialogue, and nice music – it only needs thought-out gameplay to succeed. The game is hardly worth a second playthrough, and that's a death warrant for any aspiring Diablo clone.
  2. Dec 23, 2010
    DeathSpank takes roughly 8 hours to be cleared, an excellent length for a low-budget and cheap game. It's fun and engaging and unique enough to appeal fans of hack'n'slash games with it wide variety of items and locations. DeathSpank may not have any big expectation but it is nevertheless very enjoyable and polished to be suggested to any player looking for a funny, fast adventure.
    DeathSpank is fun to play, funny to watch and it allows a second player to jump in at any time and assist by playing sparkles the incredibly camp magical elf. What's not to love?