Defiance PlayStation 3

6.9

1. Apr 10, 2013
    Defiance is a great mmo, besides the initial hiccups at launch it has turned out to be a decent game. After the initial tutorial things get repetitive real quick, all the mission pretty much amount to going to a location, rescuing a NPC and then defending said NPC while they do something. Where Defiance shines is the PVP matches. PVP is difficult and challenging which breaks up the ratherDefiance is a great mmo, besides the initial hiccups at launch it has turned out to be a decent game. After the initial tutorial things get repetitive real quick, all the mission pretty much amount to going to a location, rescuing a NPC and then defending said NPC while they do something. Where Defiance shines is the PVP matches. PVP is difficult and challenging which breaks up the rather dull PVE aspects of the game. Once the TV show tie in starts the game may become a bit better with episode missions but for now its a sold 7/10. Expand
  2. Apr 10, 2013
    I would characterize Defiance as the perfect starter mmo. it's easy to get into and understand but it's a true MMO on consoles. First off, people who are scared that it ties into the TV show don't be, the game stands on it's own and unlike most tv or movie games the gameplay is pretty good.

Defiance is unique even in the mmo world. it's a third person shooter and you actually have to aim and shoot bullets have to hit you to hurt you.

during most missions any other player can be in the same zone and help you with missions and vice versa, unlike other MMO games, having multiple people doing the same mission doesn't hurt your chances of getting the kill or finding items, if we have to get 4 medical supplies and I get 3 of them, you only need to get the last one to finish the quest.

besides the main story and side missions, there is a co-op mode where 4 people go through what amounts to a dungeon. there are about 8 co-op missions. on the matchmaking front there is also 2 team deathmatch maps, and a capture and hold style game mode with 3 points. there is also "shadow war" which is basically battlefield 3 conquest but takes place in the actual game world, it has 20vs20 player matches (probably more, most I had was 20vs20)

the best part of the game is arkfalls, which are world events where anyone who goes fights monsters, over 50 people on screen fight to kill the big bosses is exciting.

now for the negatives
    first is bugginess, trion has already done some patches to fix disconnects and other issues, but they have a lot of work to do thankfully things ARE getting done.

2nd there are many MMO elements missing, there is no crafting, and progression is terrible, lvl 600 here and I feel about the same as lvl 20. the max level is like 4000 though.

3 end game content is non existent, basically pvp and arkfalls are all you do if you aren't doing missions or a co-op map.
    4. graphics are bad but seriously graphics are not the most important thing in a game.

so basically like many MMO's there isn't enough content, but lets remember this is one of the only MMOs on console, and furthermore you actually have to aim and the game takes skill. with that I give it a 7/10, there is lots of room for improvement but anyone who wants to try an MMO for the first time, or wants a shooter that isn't the same old same old should try defiance.
  3. Apr 12, 2013
    Great game IMHO. First, MY, main and really only complaint When I first loaded it up I thought I was prepared for the poor graphics from what I had read in reviews. But you really have to see it to appreciate how poor they really are! That said, I still feel the game DESERVES at least a 7 for all of the positive things it has to offer. About an hour (for me) into the game I didn't careGreat game IMHO. First, MY, main and really only complaint When I first loaded it up I thought I was prepared for the poor graphics from what I had read in reviews. But you really have to see it to appreciate how poor they really are! That said, I still feel the game DESERVES at least a 7 for all of the positive things it has to offer. About an hour (for me) into the game I didn't care about the graphics anymore and was defending the game to my friends who were watching me play, because the game game is truly VERY fun to play. I get the same enjoyment out of Defiance that I got/get out of EDF games. It has a pretty large world, from what I have seen, tons to do and a good amount of people on-line to do things with. The game can seem pretty challenging, at first, but there are enough people playing that grouping has never been an issue. Running around with peeps is when this game really shines!! The first time I ran an Arcfall I was hooked!! If I were to nitpick I am confused as to how this game made it through beta and still lacks a proper tutorial. As a seasoned MMO player I still found myself scrambling through the menus from time to time trying to figure out how to do something. Also, I am hoping that once the TV show goes live that the story will develop a bit more through patches and DLC. Had I not seen the preview on SyFy I wouldn't have even known that I was introduced to two of the main characters of the show.

As for connection issues, I have only been playing for a day or two and haven't had any issues.

In conclusion, I look at it this way, I have paid $60 for far worse and/or far shorter games. I feel that this game offers PLENTY of fun to merit a purchase right out of the gates. I see myself putting in a minimum of 20+ hours and considering that there is going to be new content on the horizon, things can only get better.
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    Hopefully this review will give you a good idea about what you'll be getting into if you decide to play Defiance. This game is a third-person shooter MMO in the same spirit of Borderlands. Lots of run and gun gameplay with plenty of loot. While the game itself is decent, its far from perfect. Many people may not be able to tolerate the glaring downsides that go along with the fun.Hopefully this review will give you a good idea about what you'll be getting into if you decide to play Defiance. This game is a third-person shooter MMO in the same spirit of Borderlands. Lots of run and gun gameplay with plenty of loot. While the game itself is decent, its far from perfect. Many people may not be able to tolerate the glaring downsides that go along with the fun.

*Story*
    The game ties into a series on Syfy (check your local listings) by the same name. You play as an ark hunter, wandering mercenaries whose lives revolve around salvaging advanced technology falling from space. Since both the game and the show are fairly new the story is still unfolding. While the world is interesting hopefully more significant events will take place as time goes on.

*Gameplay*
    Defiance plays like a typical TPS, but without a good cover system. This game will undoubtedly be compared to borderlands because of the shoot, loot, repeat play-style but the guns don't seem as impressive or varied as borderlands which is a real disappointment. However having hundreds of other players in the world with you does add a new level to the experience. There are also random skirmishes that break out on the map in real time that players can choose to participate in for better loot and co-op missions that put an emphasis on teamwork. Unfortunately once the main story is done that's all there really is to do. There isn't enough content in the game to keep it interesting for very long, and you'll be playing the storyline over and over hoping to get better loot. The community definitely sees the potential for expansion though and keep coming back for more.

*Presentation*
    I am someone who puts gameplay over graphics, however I realize not everyone is as kind as me. If you're looking for HD eye-candy then Defiance will disappoint the hell out of you. And while the game world is huge much of it seems empty. One could say its because of the post-apocalyptic setting but deep down the game isn't all that great looking. I've also had many disconnects since buying this game as well as noticed some massive audio glitches when lots of action and characters get on screen. I'm able to look passed some of these issues but I can see how this would be a deal breaker for some.

*Summary*
    Defiance is a fresh new face in the MMO world with a different take on the experience. The potential seems limitless for excitement but from what I can see its a bit of a slow start. Hopefully they'll start adding more varied missions, more PVP options, and more gun types. Defiance deserves a chance since its going about things in a way that has never been done before, but only time will tell if the potential is fully realized.
  5. Jul 13, 2013
    I am about 6 hours into the game and thus far it is a fun game. I like the fact that there is episode and many other mission. They also have daily mission. Game play is very simple, but they need to tweak the driving. It is very sensitive. Graphics is average. The only thing I don't like is some time you get kick off the network
  6. Nov 29, 2014
    I just give this game a giant ``meh``. Its much like destiny... only worse. The AI sucks and strafing is the entire game. Graphics are good, but not great. PVP is... not bad but weapons is where this game ts it right. Its like borderlands, but with more variety. The open world is fun to explore,and big but the vehicules SUCK.
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    Surprisingly, for a PS3 title, it's a decent MMO. People seemed to have excused the number of bugs due to it being an MMO title, but the glitches have been a little too overwhelming. Fortunately, the game is slowly being smoothed out, and Trion seems to be paying a lot of attention to the community.

Playing this in conjunction with its campy TV counterpart has actually been a fun experience. The cooperative dungeon crawls and boss battles have been a strong point of this game, as well as driving around an hitting some "sweet jumps."

I would recommend getting a friend or two together to play with you, as the social aspect seems a little lacking compared to a PC release, (no one is using a keyboard!) Friend-adds require an actual friend-add on PlayStation Network, I recommend creating or joining a clan for a more full experience.
  8. May 3, 2014
    A solid third person shooter, a weak mmo. The game is fun to play but gets repetative quickly. The DLC has helped to aleviate some of that though. The graphics are passable at best but the gameplay is good with tight controls and a system that pretty much auto groups anyone in the area doing the same mission. Customization is decent and the classes are fun and varied if a bit simplistic.A solid third person shooter, a weak mmo. The game is fun to play but gets repetative quickly. The DLC has helped to aleviate some of that though. The graphics are passable at best but the gameplay is good with tight controls and a system that pretty much auto groups anyone in the area doing the same mission. Customization is decent and the classes are fun and varied if a bit simplistic. The major issue i have with Defiance are the bugs, and i don't mean the enemies in the game! Defiance is extremely buggy even a YEAR after its release! The community seems to still be quite active despite this, but there are times where you will want to rage quit. It seems like for every bug they fix, another one pops up! All in all a solid game with some issues, very fun especially with friends and for about $8 you can't go wrong with Defiance. Expand
  9. Oct 16, 2013
    If you're a console gamer craving for some MMO elements then this game really is worth picking up. By no means does this game have enough depth to keep you entertained for a long time, but it is enough that makes buying it at the measly $10 price tag in the PS store more then worth it.
  10. Nov 14, 2013
    What is the most important aspect of a game? Is it the story, the visuals or the setting? No! It's the gameplay. I'm unsure whether they meant it or not, but Trion managed to make a game that isn't stunningly beautiful, doesn't tell an incredible story, but one that I have played for hours on end because of it's addicting third person gunplay. It doesn't get a ten because, as I said, it'sWhat is the most important aspect of a game? Is it the story, the visuals or the setting? No! It's the gameplay. I'm unsure whether they meant it or not, but Trion managed to make a game that isn't stunningly beautiful, doesn't tell an incredible story, but one that I have played for hours on end because of it's addicting third person gunplay. It doesn't get a ten because, as I said, it's in no way perfect. The story has an intriguing setup, but eventually draws thin and failed to keep me interested the whole way through. It's a good length, sitting at around 15 hours, but I spent most of my time outside of missions. The game isn't beautiful, but it's not bad looking by any means. Certain parts were really cool looking, with glowing alien plants bursting from the ground. However, most of it looks pretty dull and the draw distance is pathetic at times.

I would recommend this game to anyone who likes a game that you can, without realising, spend hundreds of hours on purely because of its gameplay. It's an MMO so it's even more fun to play with friends, especially since you can do everything with them that you could do on your own. Do NOT get this game if you're looking to be immersed in an epic story with incredible visuals. Fans of games like CoD will most likely enjoy this, but fans of games like Heavy Rain may not. This game is so fun, I'm going to end my review so that I can get back to playing it!
  11. Oct 26, 2014
    This is not my type of game but,gosh it's really good.The graphics are amazing,and the character are really good designed. There is no real story because it's a online game but for another games i had free on the playstation store,it's totally with it.

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Aug 25, 2013
    The moronic AI is not the only thing which takes us back to the good old days of the PlayStation 2. Defiance looks horrible with its blurry textures, wooden animations and an all-devouring grey mist that swallows up the horizon. [May 2013, p.82]
  2. Play UK
    May 27, 2013
    Ugly and full of bugs, but also quite fun and possessing some good ideas - an interesting start for an MMO. [Issue#231, p.73]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 20, 2013
    If Defiance were purely offline you wouldn’t look at it twice. Objects wink out of existence, characters have little weight, and unless you’re in a team the enemies are tough. But it will get under your skin. [June 2013, p74]