7.0

1. Apr 2, 2013
    Ever since Fallout 3, I have been looking for a third person, post apocolyptic setting, rpg style game(I know that seems really picky) But then I was told about Defiance and wow it is alot of fun. It feels like Borderlands in third person(Controls remind me of games like Gears of War). There is loot to be found, a variety of guns to be modded, vendors to buy from, vehicles to customize and drive, rescue missions to attempt, friends and clans to join up with and most importantly, hellbugs to destroy. Whether you are a fan of 3rd person shooters or MMORPGs in general, this game has a little bit for everyone and really allows you to play the way you want to (Solo, Co-Op, Stealthy, Gun a blazin). Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2013
    Like any other mmo on it's launch day, it will have some hiccups here and there, I didn't face too many issues, elitists may say this game is more like a 7-7.5 in terms of the nitty gritty.

10/10 for it just being addicting and the most fun I've had on an mmo in a long time! (got bored of wow finally..this is the perfect time killer til some games I have my sights on come out)

my
    review may seem vague, but the gameplay/addictiveness is there, it's worth the price tag. Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Defiance is amazing. I was worried that it might have been a superficial game but as it turns out it's one of those games were it keeps getting better and better the more you play. People try to nitpick at all of the little things like the lack of a cover system(there is btw its just not static) and the voice chat problems, but the games better qualities far outweigh any issues I've encountered. The gameplay for the game is very solid. In games like borderlands as you trek through the game the enemies are higher level and as you go back to previously explored levels they are too easy because of a lack of dynamic enemy levels, but in Defiance the entire game is balanced. You can travel across the map when ever you feel like it and kill the enemies there too without worrying about getting destroyed by some level 50 robot. There is tons to do also. The map is covered with dynamic events, missions, challenges, etc. Expand
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    Warning: This game is very addictive! It's like a mixture of Borderlands and World of Warcraft. It is an open world with tons of quests, events, pvp, and raids. You can "farm" monsters for weapon and weapon mod drops and do quests to earn items. This is the first MMOFPS of it's kind and it's very unique in a few ways. The leveling system and talents you can earn is quite different from your traditional MMO because it an "EGO" number representing your power rather than level 1, 2, 3 etc. There are many different kinds of weapons you can use like: Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols, Grenade Launchers, etc. You can customize your character to be very unique and different from other characters with all of the different options you have. Just last night, I was on a 4-Wheeler (You earn this in a quest soon after beginning the game) with about 10 other players, we were driving through rolling hills, mountains, and mud to reach a raid point where you fought monsters for about 30 minutes. In PVP, I watched from a tower with my handy sniper rifle as I saw about 30 players fighting in the creek below me. Bullets were flying and bodies were dropping, I just sat back and picked off stragglers with my rifle and racked up quite a few kills in the match. I highly recommend this game if you like playing MMO's, FPS, or even just RPG's. It's definately well worth the money and what I find is especially great is that there is no monthly payment! Go get it! Expand
  5. Apr 3, 2013
    Terrible graphics, vehicle physics, and AI. The game bills itself as a massive open world but there really isn't much variety, or depth, in what you can do. Firefall is essentially the same game but is free, and does not charge for DLC.
  6. Apr 11, 2013
    Hated this game. Not even a good effort. The graphics are already dated considering some of the games coming out recently, story is just bad and there's not really all that much to do... They might be able to save it with an huge overhaul patch, but i doubt it.
  7. Apr 2, 2013
    Fallout 3 and Borderlands had a baby and that baby we know is Defiance. What is Defiance you ask? Defiance is a MMO (Third person shooter), which is based off syfy channel TV's show Defiance (debuting April 15th). The game takes place far west in America. I will keep this short because not everybody likes long reviews these days. The game is fun, the game map is huge, there are a ton of stuff to do like quests, mini quests, etc. So if you're a fan of the game's Borderlands or Fallout 3, you should love this. Expand
  8. Apr 10, 2013
    Pros: No connection problems for me on the PS3. The server has gone down for maintenance once when I wanted to play, but that was scheduled and pretty short. Fun shooter mechanics. I'm not much of a FPS player, to be honest, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. Nice variety of guns. Some are more interesting than others, and some differences are subtle between the same type of gun, but there are enough cool features and customization here to keep me suitably intrigued. Episode Missions let you interact with characters from the show. The first one did and leads into the pilot. It was fun getting to play a mission with them and see them in-game in cut scenes. The main missions use cut scenes to tell the story and develop the NPCs you meet along the way. I've not gotten too far into this yet, but I've enjoyed Cass and the missions we've done together. These are more complex than the side quests you go on, of course, and are more fun because of it. They have bosses, and you actually have to think pretty tactically with some enemies. Never gets "easy." Even as you level up, you just unlock perks you can access in a skill tree, but so far it hasn't gotten to the point where you can just easily pick off enemies, which I think is a good thing because that's part of what leads to boredom. Big game map. Not sure if this will expand as the DLCs come out or not, but right now it feels pretty big. If you're the type who can put in 15 hour days on a game (I usually only get 1 or 2... though I've spent more here) then it might feel small to you. Otherwise, I've spent 20+ hours in about 1/4 of the game map. Arkfall events are a ton of fun. When a lot of people are around it can get chaotic, but it's still fun. I enjoy joining up with other players on the fly rather than formally joining a group or a clan. Those options are available, but it's nice to have a level of interaction where you just go online when you want, randomly join up with someone near you on a mission because you're both doing it at the same time, emote a cheer and then be on your way. It just fits my style more. An interesting world. The game seems to look better on PC than PS3 (most things do) but even on PS3 I've been having a lot of fun with this strange mix of alien world and post-apocalyptic earth. Though some parts feel familiar, the world has enough unique elements that I've been enjoying seeing the sights and learning about the different aliens who now co-inhabit the planet with humanity. ||

Cons: Still a few bugs to be worked out. I've been able to connect just fine, but I did encounter two issues. The last cut scene of the first Episode Mission wouldn't play. I had to watch in on YouTube, instead. There was a time when some objects I needed to interact with on a mission wouldn't let me. You had to let other players kill some enemies, and then it let you. You can also abandon a mission and pick it back up to fix this, though.
    I felt like I was thrown into the game, a bit. There is a tutorial stage, but I guess I've gotten used to games walking you through all the button mechanics and that sort of thing the first time through. Figuring out which button does what isn't too hard (just press them and try!) but other menus seemed a bit more hidden, including a really important menu that shows you critical intel, contains some Help features and lets you log out! It's easy to access once you know how (Start and then L2.) The map could be improved some. They don't really name the different areas on the map for some reason. This could be an issue if you had to return to a specific area for some reason and it wasn't marked by a mission icon. So far this hasn't impacted me yet, though. Modifying weapons can be a bit confusing at first until you learn how to do it and realize you can't do it until you reach a certain EGO level. ||

So, overall I am having an absolute blast with this game. It's been great for someone like me a more casual gamer who only has a few hours to commit a day, if that, and who likes the idea of going back and picking up the game after a little time off because he doesn't have to worry about subscriptions. That being said, so far I can't stop playing it! I imagine there will come a time when I slow down, though, maybe after the main missions are done. But there are 5 DLCs planned and overlap with the TV series, I can see a bright future for the next year at least.
  9. Apr 11, 2013
    Terrible game. No tie in the show, no content, crappy vehicle dynamics, sub-par graphics, and shallow story. I give it two months til its totally irrelevant.
  10. Apr 8, 2013
    I picked up Defiance for the PS3 and I am AMAZED. I went in with low expectations, and quickly had them blown away. This is the game I have been looking for, for so long. To me it is essentially Fallout 3 Mass Effect Borderlands wrapped into an MMORPG. It is made by the same people who made Rift (which I also played, but this is far better). It has an arguably better UI, and similar inventory (and targeting) mechanics as Borderlands, the feel of Mass Effect 3, and the Mad Max style of Fallout.
    The most important factor to me is the immersion the world feels alive. You start out the game with an ATV you can summon, and you can get other vehicles as well (I'm riding around in a Twisted Metal-looking Dodge Challenger R/T atm :D There are world events (just like Rift) that turn into huge player-driven battles. The quest system works great (similar to Farcry 3, but better you have a main quest and you can pick up other ones randomly around the world). It is just an all-around immersive, and incredibly fun game.

TL;DR: Defiance is an MMORPG version of Fallout/Borderlands/Mass Effect all wrapped into one. It is a revolutionary step forward in console (and PC) gaming, and is an absolute blast to play.

Just my 2 cents.
  11. Apr 10, 2013
    Defiance is a great mmo, besides the initial hiccups at launch it has turned out to be a decent game. After the initial tutorial things get repetitive real quick, all the mission pretty much amount to going to a location, rescuing a NPC and then defending said NPC while they do something. Where Defiance shines is the PVP matches. PVP is difficult and challenging which breaks up the rather dull PVE aspects of the game. Once the TV show tie in starts the game may become a bit better with episode missions but for now its a sold 7/10. Expand
  12. Apr 9, 2013
    I have had the game for a few days and so far it is very enjoyable. There have been a few hiccups along the way, I believe all MMOs start off like this. The gameplay is very cool and it's great you can travel wherever you like straight away without having to unlock parts of the map. I have just fought against a screen filling bug with 50 other players... It was epic and it gives you a score at the end (it judges you on how many hits and kills). I came second which was a shock.
    I highly recommend this game!!
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    A must have for Ps3, finally a functioning MMO and a darn good one at that) for the ps3. defiance offers an Open world, grouping with functional voicechat, obsurd variety of weapons and gear( i.g. modifiable weapons, outfits, shield generators) vehicles i.g. ATVs, Challengers, Dune Buggies) to get crazy air or squash hellbugs doing donuts, a variety of missions (i.g. story, Side, Survival, Rescue, Racing, PvP team battles, up to 100 player vs Hellbug wars, abilities and perks, and a whole lot more fun to be had. I'm thoroughly impressed with what they have done and although I'm very preoccupied with the standard game, I'm very much anticipating any additions coming later on. Expand
  14. Apr 7, 2013
    Great game, I see so much potential here. Trion really got a lot of love for me after all the new stuff they did with Rift. This actually has a few elements kinda like rift. There are a few hiccups with the launch of any MMO, but it's been surprisingly solid all things considered.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    Defiance is an extremely under rated game this is going to take time to smooth rough edges, but in all honesty this is one of the most addictive games of all time. The content justifies the price tag and for all those interested you must give it a try and do not listen to all these individuals giving the game zeros.
  16. Apr 6, 2013
    Score fallen by 2 in 4 days, It shows how crap this game is... Bad enemy intelligence, too difficult, group of raides can hit you from 100 meters but cannot from 5... Lot's of glitches and its price... 40 pounds... They probably wipe their asses with that money... DLC will cost unlike in amazing firefall... Dont buy this
  17. Apr 7, 2013
    I don't think I ever put a more addicting game into my ps3 tray! Defiance is the best online game I have ever experienced. My favorite part are the arkfalls which are massive gathering points where an endless amount of players team up against towering bosses for loot. I'm pretty far into this game as well (about 20+ hrs) and I still have yet to experience the entire map/storyline as you can simply get lost in things to do. BUY THIS GAME Expand
  18. Apr 13, 2013
    This game is pretty fun lol graphics not that great but gameplay is pretty cool lots of quest guns and multiplayer is addictive pvp mode is great just cause cod fan boys cant adapt to 3rd person and more strategy I like the weapons to there pretty cool .best ps3 purchace in a while.
  19. Apr 10, 2013
    I would characterize Defiance as the perfect starter mmo. it's easy to get into and understand but it's a true MMO on consoles. First off, people who are scared that it ties into the TV show don't be, the game stands on it's own and unlike most tv or movie games the gameplay is pretty good.

Defiance is unique even in the mmo world. it's a third person shooter and you actually have to
    aim and shoot bullets have to hit you to hurt you.

during most missions any other player can be in the same zone and help you with missions and vice versa, unlike other MMO games, having multiple people doing the same mission doesn't hurt your chances of getting the kill or finding items, if we have to get 4 medical supplies and I get 3 of them, you only need to get the last one to finish the quest.

besides the main story and side missions, there is a co-op mode where 4 people go through what amounts to a dungeon. there are about 8 co-op missions. on the matchmaking front there is also 2 team deathmatch maps, and a capture and hold style game mode with 3 points. there is also "shadow war" which is basically battlefield 3 conquest but takes place in the actual game world, it has 20vs20 player matches (probably more, most I had was 20vs20)

the best part of the game is arkfalls, which are world events where anyone who goes fights monsters, over 50 people on screen fight to kill the big bosses is exciting.

now for the negatives
    first is bugginess, trion has already done some patches to fix disconnects and other issues, but they have a lot of work to do thankfully things ARE getting done.

2nd there are many MMO elements missing, there is no crafting, and progression is terrible, lvl 600 here and I feel about the same as lvl 20. the max level is like 4000 though.

3 end game content is non existent, basically pvp and arkfalls are all you do if you aren't doing missions or a co-op map.
    4. graphics are bad but seriously graphics are not the most important thing in a game.

so basically like many MMO's there isn't enough content, but lets remember this is one of the only MMOs on console, and furthermore you actually have to aim and the game takes skill. with that I give it a 7/10, there is lots of room for improvement but anyone who wants to try an MMO for the first time, or wants a shooter that isn't the same old same old should try defiance.
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    Dont trust reviews based on bad experiences due to some bug and launch problems.
    Launch of course had some issues, but already day 3 game was running smooth and could appreciate full potential of it.
    This is a true MMO, so to truly love it and appreciate you have to invest a good amount of hours, understand all the mechanics and details in game.
    Pve is great, big world with ton of
    activities, well made main mission, huge boss battles with bazillion real players...
    Also dedicated COOP mission up to four player that really are ton of fun. Pvp is also well made and i enjoyed it, especcial shadow war with 64vs 64

Graphics are a bit toned down due to huge amount of people and big world... but huge monster look actually great, and the light effect are good.
    Weapons are well balanced and good variations.
    Its great to have only 1 charachter that can specialize in all perks and special abilities.

in the end this game is very addicting and well made, must buy.
  21. Apr 14, 2013
    This is a game I did not know about before it stood in the Store. I bought it and after 1 hour I was sold. This game is just AWESOME. Yes, the game have som faults and minor bugs, but for me it is not game breaking. I bought the game to my friend just so we can play it together. He also fell in love with the game right from the start. I will tell everyone to buy this game. LOVE IT!
  22. Apr 7, 2013
    Don't get the whole "terrible graphics" aspect of other reviewers as I thought they looked fine (I don't need Far Cry 3 graphics with short gameplay, but then again i grew up in the 90s with Super Nintendo-N64)

I thought the game is pretty good overall though. It's definitely got a good story, a whole lot of weapons/items for you to achieve, thousands of quest (from what I see), and
    seems to be like it's worth at least the $40 bucks of the $60 I spent, which you can't say about most games these days.

The only downside that is just glitches and will be fixed overtime I'm sure are the vehicle physics (i got stuck under a tree log... it was quite funny actually but i had to commit suicide to get out) and that the group system seems broke at times. (Friends will grab the same quest as you in a group and there quest randomly stops working/showing any kind of waypoint.. or in my case I'll go to the NPC I'm supposed to talk to for my quest and it'll work for my friend who didn't even start the quest, but doesn't work for me).

It's all small minor stuff that hopefully gets fixed.
  23. May 4, 2013
    This is easily the most frustrating video game experience of my 30+ years of gaming. Defiance is terribly broken. Since its launch, I have experienced countless audio problems, mic sync issues, lag, frame drop, connectivity issues, and console crashing. I have worked with Trion Worlds' technical support and have spent countless hours trying to fix this game, but it is simply unplayable. Defiance is simply a broken game by Trion's own admission. Their advice to me was to use a different PSN profile to play the game, buy a new console, and completely reconfigure my modem/router. Ridiculous and insulting! Please know that I own over 275 disc and dlc PS3 games and I have never encountered anything like this. And please believe that in the sporadic moments when the game actually did manage to work a little, it's an atrocity. Boring, repetitive, mundane, generic crap! Literally, this has been the worst gaming experience of my life. Period. Expand
  24. May 4, 2013
    I am a big fan so far of the Defiance Tv show, and I think that the whole concept of having the game and the tv show tie in together probably worked great in theory; but in reality however Defiance the game just ends up being a boring grind consisting of pointless story missions and dumb fetch quests! Definitely not worth your hard earned 60 bucks.
  25. Apr 13, 2013
    I would rate it higher if I could actually see the enemies in the extremely low res textures on basically everything. I will admit I had a little bit of fun destroying an ark crystal with a group of human allies but I don't think I will keep this game (thankfully rented it from gamefly).

I could put up with the graphics by the way if the vehicle control was spot on but... it isn't
  26. Apr 8, 2013
    pure and simple this is a very good game, people are complaining about little things like it not having AAA game graphics and that the servers sometimes come down, but its like their ignoring the fact this is a MMO, they all have hiccups when they start but once they get going and the DLC and updates come this game will be one of the best MMO's on the market. it has an engaging story and good story missions, allot of them consist of the same general go here then disable this or pick this up, but the game play is very very good and every MMO on the market does this general questing structure, but what sets this apart from the rest is that there is no grinding which i hate about the other games out there like this, this game is also very addictive and does what it can for everyone like pvp,raids and a good single player. Id also say ignore the people going on about it being a borderlands or wow hybrid, yes it has a similar feel and gun play as borderlands, but this is in its own genre of kick ass. 9/10 Expand
  27. Apr 10, 2013
    i had to register an account to give this game its proper kudos. ez 10/10 for me, perfect game all around and i cant wait for the tv show to air its going to make this game even better with all the additional content they plan on adding
  28. Apr 15, 2013
    I've spent few hours and the game is huge so I can write about first impressions.

If you like rpg but you spent the last 5 month on Black Ops 2 multiplayer this could be a good choice.

MMO SHOOTER PS3 RPG if you search for all these thing this is the only choice.

I'll swich to 10 only if will arrive the first person view.
  29. Aug 29, 2013
    I want to like... no, I want to LOVE this game, but if we're talking about the experience of playing... well, what can I say about a game that won't run? I installed the game, updated with the 25 (25!) patches and was able to play for about 3 days.

Then, the first DLC came out. I have tried for more than a week and countless hours of keeping my PS3 on to update that latest patch, and
    it just isn't happening. I've tried all the suggestions Trion technical support offers... turn off the media thing, run a fix on the file system, delete the patch and start over... I got nothing. It just stays on for hours and nothing updates.

So, I really can't recommend this game. I want to. A post-apocalyptic MMO on my PS3 sounds AWESOME but when you can't play the game, it's just a big tease.

Glad I only spent 10 bucks.
  30. Apr 22, 2013
    Cracking game...Wasnt sure what to expect tbh but the more you put in the more you get out. It is a one of a kind in terms on genre so can see it being a bit of a marmite game but if for example you like Borderlands you will love this

1. The moronic AI is not the only thing which takes us back to the good old days of the PlayStation 2. Defiance looks horrible with its blurry textures, wooden animations and an all-devouring grey mist that swallows up the horizon. [May 2013, p.82]
  2. May 27, 2013
    Ugly and full of bugs, but also quite fun and possessing some good ideas - an interesting start for an MMO. [Issue#231, p.73]
  3. If Defiance were purely offline you wouldn’t look at it twice. Objects wink out of existence, characters have little weight, and unless you’re in a team the enemies are tough. But it will get under your skin. [June 2013, p74]