• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Oct 6, 2009
8.8

1. Nov 17, 2010
    This is a hardcore game. Complex, original and brutally punishing; this game has little appeal to the 'casual' gamer. There's nothing wrong with being a casual gamer, but most who try this game seem to decry it as being too difficult before quitting within the first few hours.
    The difficulty of this game is not cheap. If you die, it is your fault, and you WILL die. A lot.
    The graphics are
    The graphics are great, although not spectacular, but the art style and aesthetics of the various worlds really immerse you in the game. Jaggies are very prominent if you sit close to your TV and frame rate drops are very noticeable during certain short sections.
    The sound is incredible. The SFX in each area are hauntingly atmospheric and further the immersion. The soundtrack is also fantastic, the compositions defining the atmosphere and underscoring all of your triumphs and failures. The combat is simplistic but the variety of enemies and their weaknesses will make you vary your playstyle, combining magic, bows and a large variety of melee weapons. Strategy is key to winning each and every fight, with basic enemies sometimes being as challenging as bosses. Stat progression provides a lot of depth to the game, giving lots of re-playability in creating different character builds. You can play this game 10 times over and still be discovering new weapon and magic combinations which drastically affect your playstyle. The PVP system could use work, especially considering how few players there are remaining. It can be very difficult to find players to play with/against.
    Awesomely addicting, brutally challenging and equally rewarding, Demon's Souls is a must-buy for any 'hardcore' gamer.
  2. Oct 12, 2010
    Simply put, this is the best game this generation thus far. I think itâ
  3. Oct 20, 2010
    Many games today believe that by setting you back to a checkpoint, when you die makes a game challenging. This is a break in logic. This is what makes a game frustrating--When a game, with simple gameplay, little challenge in terms of combat or mental fortitude, stabs you in the kidney with an experience hindering gesture with making you replay the same extremely simple, mindless combatMany games today believe that by setting you back to a checkpoint, when you die makes a game challenging. This is a break in logic. This is what makes a game frustrating--When a game, with simple gameplay, little challenge in terms of combat or mental fortitude, stabs you in the kidney with an experience hindering gesture with making you replay the same extremely simple, mindless combat encounter, platforming/climbing sequence, or the redundancy of plugging in the memorized puzzle pieces of some programmatic organized sequence of events, you are actually removing the user from the experience.

With Demon's Souls, this part of the game is an actual mechanic that makes sense... Combat is HARD. Dying Sucks. However, in the case of Demon's Souls, it is this mechanic that makes this game complete. You are in a harsh world, with harsh consequences. When you finally overcome the obstacle that is a pain, every step of the way, you are greeted with a sense of accomplishment, that no other title in the past 15+ years has been able to deliver.

All in all, one of the greatest games in gaming history. Think, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Megaman, or dare I compare, Ultima Online.

Demon's Souls delivers in every way, and does not fail to impress.
  4. Oct 20, 2010
    I don't understand what people are talking about with the difficulty, I found the game very enjoyable. Yes, it's a bit harder than some of the other games on the market, but it's not cheap or sadistic about it. I am a very casual gamer, and I personally did not have that many issues.
    The controls are amazing, incredibly fluid and responsive, more so than any other game I've played before or since. The levels are dark and foreboding with strong atmosphere.
    Did I die a lot? Sure. But the thing is, the game is honestly fun to play - it doesn't feel repetitive at all, and actually engages me as a player. Again, I say this as someone who ordinarily does not play action games at all.
  5. Nov 12, 2012
    Best game of this generation by a mile !!!!

When the gameplay is this good and game design so intuitive nothing else matters. nothing comes close to this !!! this title was flawless imo !! even better than the sequel best games this gen imo 1) Demon souls 2)Mgs :Guns of the patriots 3)Xcom 4)Arkham city 5)Bayonetta 6)kill zone 2 7)Dark souls 8)Vanquish 9)Dead space 10)
    Best game of this generation by a mile !!!!

even better than the sequel best games this gen imo 1) Demon souls
    2)Mgs :Guns of the patriots
    3)Xcom
    4)Arkham city
    5)Bayonetta 6)kill zone 2 7)Dark souls
    8)Vanquish
    9)Dead space
    10) zero escape

if you have alot in common with me for fave games and havent played DS PLZ GET UP GRAB YOUR WALLET AND GO!!
  6. Oct 27, 2010
    Sadistic. You've probably seen this word associated with the game. It's is a game for the masochistic gamer.
    The graphics are good. The music is zilch. The game overall... it's the most... i mean...

I want to say the game is ridiculously hard and it sucks. But that's not it. It's a tough game, but your deaths are your fault. Timing is everything. Take a hit in the chest by a troll with an axe, you're going to die. Have a tentacle headed witch jab a spike through your head, you're going to die. The game is hard because it's realistic. There's no pause, because real life doesnt pause. Anything can kill you easily, because in real life you really are just a creampuff with a sword. Pick it up and try it. I am sure there is a used copy floating around somewhere
  7. Nov 7, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zajebista gra, lobiÄ Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2011
    Excellent game, if your looking for a challenge, this game is for you. You will die... over and over again but its a learning experience and adds to the realism of what life for your character would be like if the game was real life. I wrote up a review for this before and I have yet to see it be posted. If you were on the fence when it came out, pick it up now, it's worth $20 for sure.Excellent game, if your looking for a challenge, this game is for you. You will die... over and over again but its a learning experience and adds to the realism of what life for your character would be like if the game was real life. I wrote up a review for this before and I have yet to see it be posted. If you were on the fence when it came out, pick it up now, it's worth $20 for sure. One of my favorite RPGs (if not my overall favorite) and just a great game overall. It was a nice surprise and I can't wait to pick up the sequel once I get some free time. Expand
  9. May 27, 2011
    I have just bought my 3rd copy of this game, all the UK release. Why or why have i done this? Because, this game gets under your skin. I got frustrated by it twice, to the point of selling it, but am massively enjoying it the 3rd time of asking. People complain about the lack of plot or narrative, and to some extent they have a point. BUT, and it deserves the caps, the narrative is withinI have just bought my 3rd copy of this game, all the UK release. Why or why have i done this? Because, this game gets under your skin. I got frustrated by it twice, to the point of selling it, but am massively enjoying it the 3rd time of asking. People complain about the lack of plot or narrative, and to some extent they have a point. BUT, and it deserves the caps, the narrative is within the challenges, the increasing levels of difficulty.

The graphics may not be ground breaking, but they convey the atmosphere perfectly. The game is meant to be a challenge, a drab, squalid place to be. And the challenge is often just getting to the bosses at the end of each stage, with them themselves not being soooo much of a challenge. Utterly awesome. Thoroughly recommended, just take your time and hold that shield up.
  10. Jun 22, 2011
    We all remember old school games where they were ridiculously hard and basically made you want to break your controller against a wall. Well Demon's Souls will make you want to do the very same. The word difficult doesn't even begin to describe how tough this game is. But do not let that prevent you from playing this amazing game. It uses a unique hack & slash style combat system whereWe all remember old school games where they were ridiculously hard and basically made you want to break your controller against a wall. Well Demon's Souls will make you want to do the very same. The word difficult doesn't even begin to describe how tough this game is. But do not let that prevent you from playing this amazing game. It uses a unique hack & slash style combat system where you have to use each attack wisely. It is not like a typical hack & slash where you can get away with pressing "X" 40 to 50 times and walk away from a fight in the game untouched. You can customize your character as much as you like and you have access to over 50 pieces of weapons and armor. The visuals in the game are stunning from the amazing dragons flying around the castle to the knights with glowing red eyes (Beware they are difficult). This game has it all. Expand
  11. May 20, 2011
    Demon's souls is my favourite game this generation for many reasons. The game throws at you so many great things its hard to tell whats the best thing about it. It's not a game for everyone but it is a game that enyone can master. The lurning curve in this game isn't all that bad and if you'l learn how to defend and attack responsibly, then you shouldn't worry. The combat consists ofDemon's souls is my favourite game this generation for many reasons. The game throws at you so many great things its hard to tell whats the best thing about it. It's not a game for everyone but it is a game that enyone can master. The lurning curve in this game isn't all that bad and if you'l learn how to defend and attack responsibly, then you shouldn't worry. The combat consists of weapons and magic and you can decide what type of character you will have. There are many possibilities so you can create a royal-barbarian, mage-soldier and so on. There are tons of weapons and lots of magic so you can allways experiment and see what's your choice. Your first playthrough will not be your last because this game is meant to be played several times, atleast. The most unique thing about the game is the online. Other players can invade your world and do co-op with you as well. You can do the same things yourself and it feels very rewarding to beat another player with all your wits and abilities while having a small bit of your health left. The levels themselves are very well designed. They are rather short but it will take time untill you'll manage to approach to many levels so you'll need to level up your character and your weapons. The game holds many secrets and you will use a FAQ at times because there is no way you will find all these secrets by yourself( unless you got a lot of time to waste). The graphics are fantastic, end of story. There is a story to the game, but it's told very subtly and it's obvious the developers didn't want it to a major concern. Honestly I didn't mention many many other things that make this game so awsome like the boss fights, the leveling system, the many types of weapons, the seamless online integration and so forth. This game reminded me how video games used to be like in the last generations. The little things are the things that make a game a classic, and Demon's souls has plenty of those. You really should get this game, or atleast try it. Many did, and most of them never looked back. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2010
    Great hardcore RPG. I canâ
  13. Jul 10, 2013
    The bottom line is that this is an incredibly innovative and well executed game. It's one of my all time favorites. No other game has instilled the sense of fear and trepidation that this one does. The designers made some very smart moves to accomplish this feat. Losing all your souls upon death can be extremely frustrating but it gives you something to play for and forces the playerThe bottom line is that this is an incredibly innovative and well executed game. It's one of my all time favorites. No other game has instilled the sense of fear and trepidation that this one does. The designers made some very smart moves to accomplish this feat. Losing all your souls upon death can be extremely frustrating but it gives you something to play for and forces the player to take a cautious and observant approach (which is definitely necessary to progress). The bosses are superb and truly scary they will trample you in a few seconds if you are not careful. The mulitplayer component was completely unlike anything I had seen before and I loved it.

The combat and level design are also top notch. I would go so far as to say that the combat mechanics in Demon's Souls are better than any other RPG I've played to date. Most RPG's kind of dumb this down or gloss over it but From Software really put effort into making a realistic and intelligent system this really amps up the intensity and fun factor. The weapons are very varied in terms of attack speeds, combat moves, and damage types. Some are much more effective than others against certain enemies and part of the fun is figuring out an effective strategy for defeating your enemies. Spells and miracles have a similar depth built in.

As stated in many reviews this game is unforgiving and the comparisons to old school Nintendo games are apt (remember that old trail and error approach?). You are never really safe in this game unless you are in the Nexus which kind of feels like home after awhile. You need to adapt your play style often but you can succeed with a patient and methodical approach. I will say that the game is MUCH more obtuse than what most people are used to. The world tendencies and weapons upgrades are extremely confusing and almost no explanation is offered up (perhaps because they are not necessary to complete the game). Obviously a game like this will turn some people off but it is extremely rewarding for those who invest the time to discover it's charms.
  14. Feb 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Demon Souls is an action-third-person RPG with a deep atmosphere. Immersive, artistally different worlds with End-bosses makes this game great. Gameplay is deep and difficult, and to some extent, surpsingly easy in the second run. Each weapon is different to handle, upgradeable and has its strenght and weakness. I dont want to miss this game. Expand
  15. Dec 28, 2010
    I now lend this game out to people to see if they are made of the right stuff. Its been returned on every occasion. Its hard but once the back is broken you HAVE to use co-op play to really enjoy the experience. Some guy helped me finish the hardest boss and died with a tenth of the bosses health bar left. He must be gutted, but you take your breaks as the game is so unforgiving. You inchI now lend this game out to people to see if they are made of the right stuff. Its been returned on every occasion. Its hard but once the back is broken you HAVE to use co-op play to really enjoy the experience. Some guy helped me finish the hardest boss and died with a tenth of the bosses health bar left. He must be gutted, but you take your breaks as the game is so unforgiving. You inch along and learn more and more every play but its an investment, don't bother if you are easily put off, there are only a few of us who have finished it, and to be among them is an achievement in itself! Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2011
    Pretty much, you'll either absolutely love this game or absolutely hate it. It's not a matter of poor design. This game is a grinder, and if you like really working for your accomplishments and some truly nail biting moments, then this is the game for you. The game looks beautiful, and the gameplay is very clean and simple. I've beaten the game 4 times and still it manages to kick myPretty much, you'll either absolutely love this game or absolutely hate it. It's not a matter of poor design. This game is a grinder, and if you like really working for your accomplishments and some truly nail biting moments, then this is the game for you. The game looks beautiful, and the gameplay is very clean and simple. I've beaten the game 4 times and still it manages to kick my ass from time to time. The competition between upper level players is fierce and overall this is one of the best games on the PS3. Once again, not being able to pause is not a design flaw, it was a choice, as well as the choice to make the game incredibly difficult. It took me a while to get into, but when it clicked, man what a great experience. To all of you who rated it low after playing it for one day. Walk away from it for a week, come back and give it another go, rinse, repeat, it will grow on you, I promise. Expand
  17. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is great in all it's aspects, and if you are a game veteran this is a game you want to dig yourself into. Be aware though that this game require you to actually get involved and figure out how mecahnism and encounters work. THIS IS HARD. If you are young of age, or simply have not played much in your life, STAY AWAY, this is not for you!

Once that is said, no game ever has made

Once that is said, no game ever has made you feel so great at the end like this one. In other games your just good, in this game you become a GOD.
  18. Mar 12, 2011
    this must be the best game i played since final fantasy vii, it's not about the story its about gameplay, everyone should at least play it once. that's all.
  19. Aug 14, 2011
    I am having a really hard time coming up with a really great introduction so Im just going to be blunt. Demon's Souls is a game that does not hold anybody's hand at any point. This is a difficult game but it is far from impossible. I am reading a lot of reviews where people say they cannot stand the frustration of the game and the fact that they cannot enjoy the experience because ofI am having a really hard time coming up with a really great introduction so Im just going to be blunt. Demon's Souls is a game that does not hold anybody's hand at any point. This is a difficult game but it is far from impossible. I am reading a lot of reviews where people say they cannot stand the frustration of the game and the fact that they cannot enjoy the experience because of the difficulty. I suck at hard games. I really do. I only have one Platinum trophy, for Uncharted 2. That is the only game that I have completely on the hardest difficulty. So, agreeing that I suck at hard games, why do I love DS so much? It may have something to do with growing up with video games. My first system was an Atari 2600, and I spent a lot of time in arcades. All games were hard back then! If you died, you started the level over! Anyone that knows what Im talking about can agree with the satisfaction of beating even just one level of Ninja Gaiden......or Contra. Some people dont like challenge, and that is fine. Demon's Souls got a great rating on MC because it is a beast of a game. There isnt anything "broken" in this game, and there is definitely nothing sloppy about it. Yes, your character probably does suck in the beginning....Lord knows mine did! Now my character is walking around town taking creeps out with one swing of the Bone Smasher, baby! This game deserves a 10, yea the story is somewhat lacking in the beginning...and if even if you have no idea what is going on, doesnt that make it all the more creepy? I not only nominate this game as top 5 best on PS3.....but, top 5 best games ever! Expand
  20. Mar 9, 2011
    Few games have the balls to take a simple concept (you, a weapon and some items against everything else) and take it through to all of its consequences, good or bad. Demon's Souls is one such game. Each and every choice you make, where to go, what to carry, what upgrade path to take both for you and your equipment; all of that will be your own as there is no indication whatsoever of whatFew games have the balls to take a simple concept (you, a weapon and some items against everything else) and take it through to all of its consequences, good or bad. Demon's Souls is one such game. Each and every choice you make, where to go, what to carry, what upgrade path to take both for you and your equipment; all of that will be your own as there is no indication whatsoever of what you should do. The story is not shoved down your throat, you find it and learn it and most of all live it by exploring and just taking in the world around you. This is one of the game's greatest assets.
    I remember originally getting the game because of the IMPOSSIBLY HARD reputation, thinking "bunch of **** I'll show them" and also that it was some sort of toned-down God of war action game with RPG elements thrown in (from the trailers, ha!). What I got instead is one of the few truly fullfiling and great gaming experiences of my entire life. You can't prepare for this game, nor really ever master it, nor forget about it.
    When you finally *get* the game (or, more likely, the game *gets* you), you'll start seeing every design decision, like the no-save no-pause aspects as just another face of the lighting-in-a-bottle brilliance of this game.
    Over one year later after getting myself my first copy, a US version, I've already gone through the Japanese version and am halfway through on my first playthrough on the European version; and I am starting to feel the nostalgia that when the time comes to shutdown the servers powering the multiplayer component of this game I will only be able to go back to the whole experience that this game was by way of my memories.
    Take the plunge, embrace death and enjoy one of the few unique and pure gaming experiences this generation.
    (besides, the game is like $15 new now)
  21. May 28, 2011
    Demon's souls is the best PS3 exclusive bar non and make it into my own personal top 20 games of all time... A word of warning for the casuals gamers who are considering buying this game is that this game is seriously HARDCORE , it refuses to hold your hand and it is brutally difficult to begin with.But those who persist will experience one of the most rewarding games of all time....MUST BUY!
  22. Aug 16, 2011
    this game is all about the combat for me. unlike the inexplicable haters in here I played through this game with 4 different characters a total of 6 times. Obviously I really enjoyed it. I'm fairly certain I put more time into this game then nearly all my other game time combined. It's absurd, but I truly enjoyed it.

What I enjoyed was how visceral and immediate the combat felt. I loved

What I enjoyed was how visceral and immediate the combat felt. I loved the real feeling of terror and panic when another player invaded my game and I scrambled to prepare myself. I loved how tight the controls feel. it is not complex combo based combat like Bayonetta or DMC at all (which I also love). It's very simple, and clean. The only thing this game requires of you is patience. Right hand attack & heavy attack [R1 & R2]. Left hand guard and attack [L1 & L2]. If you are strong enough all weapons and shields may be single or double handed for faster/stronger attacks. Perhaps most importantly, there is a very handy dodge-roll. There are two weapon/equip [ie: magic,miracle] slots for each hand. The story is, you are alone, in a demon infested land. your job is to not die. Your other job is to kill all the f***ing demons. the entire story is told in the intro and opening sequences of the game. There are a handful of NPCs in the Hub area and in the world, who are mostly support players like blacksmith, soul/level-up lady, spell/miracle teachers, and another few who factor into the world nicely. If you need conversation trees in your RPG's then this game may not by for you. What I find most RPG about it is the feeling of desolation. How else would it feel to be a lone knight/priest/magician/soldier/heavy/etc.. fighting your way into, and through a land infested with demons and a thick, terrible grey fog? Playing it alone, maybe with headphones, or not, in a dimly lit room is very much a survival horror action adventure experience. I think they got it exactly right. Haters gon hate.

it's true that the inventory management can be labor intensive. but you can also just wing it and see how far you get. Spells are helpful. Every enemy requires caution. There is not a single enemy, from the very first demon-zombie dudes you learn to use your shield, maybe reduce your armor and roll out of harms way. I think this is a tight, challenging game within a huge, awe inspiring world. They tell a far better, more visceral story with just the atmosphere and the gameplay than any other console "RPG" this generation in my humble, possibly hyperbolic opinion. in terms of personal standings. This game and Uncharted 2 are currently the reigning kings of this generation for me. So bring on UC3 and Dark Souls baby. gonna be a busy fall/winter season. better not meet any girls!
  23. Mar 11, 2014
    I give this game a 9.5.... I have had this game since 2010 but never reviewed the game, now with Dark Souls 2 out.
    Demon Souls is set up let a mega man game. You have 5 different areas you can explore, within these 5 different areas are different areas but same world... The atmosphere of this game is one of the best I have seen in a very long time ( Especially the tower of latria) and although there isn't much music in the game the soundtrack is very good which mostly is from fighting a boss. Controls are really good and so is the gameplay itself... If you die you are forced to play the game with half of health, until you beat a boss or consume an item that brings you back to human form. The online aspects of this game are very well done, this isn't your standard multiplayer online game, this is the type of online game that you play alone, but can be invaded by other players which they can ruin your run to the boss. However there is a duping glitch that many online players used to get all the items, stones to make weapons and what not that kind of ruined the experience for people who didn't use the glitch. The bosses in this game are just extraordinary, there are a multitude of creepy bosses in this game that will get your heart pumping, there is even a boss in this game that you fight another online player, first time that has ever been done in videogames and should be classified as innovation... I suggest you pick the game up even if you have Dark Souls 2, Demon Souls has been my favorite game for a long time now (other than chorno trigger) and Dark Souls 2 is even better, but Demon Souls started it all..
  24. Apr 26, 2011
    Demon's Souls is quite possibly one of the greatest PS3 titles of all time. Many may have gripes with my last statement but I will defend my point. Demon's Souls throws you into the game, and from the very beginning seeks to show you are very mortal. Enemies don't play nice and every enemy if you are not careful can be as leathal as the next. Which summarizes Demon's Souls very well.Demon's Souls is quite possibly one of the greatest PS3 titles of all time. Many may have gripes with my last statement but I will defend my point. Demon's Souls throws you into the game, and from the very beginning seeks to show you are very mortal. Enemies don't play nice and every enemy if you are not careful can be as leathal as the next. Which summarizes Demon's Souls very well. Demon's Souls is a lethal game, and is very unforgiving. IF you die (which you will early and often), you turn into your hero's soul, which is exactly what it sounds like. You get ressurected as a soul but with much less HP and you lose any experience you had gained. Now unlike dying in real life, this isnt the end of the world. All you have to do is find the area in which you died to gain your body back with the health and all the experience that comes with it. The trick is....you have to fight your way through the entire level to get it back. And every time you die, the enemies get reborn as a stronger faster and smarter version of themselves.Demon's Souls is not a game that will hold your hand, and it may seem at times the game is purposefully trying to hurt your feelings. The odd thing is, this makes the game feel more addicting. Dying in the game, only to get your body back and beat a boss gives you a real sense of acomplishment. Which brings me to the fighting mechanics. DS has some of the most intuitive controls and seemless fighting mechanics I have seen in any game. There are so many ways you can handle a battle, and the greatest thing about this game is every battle has a unique feeling. You will never find yourself in this game saying "oh I just need to do this and this and this and I will kill the enemy". What works well with 1 enemy will NOT work the same with another. DS is a strong RPG and has your classic classes such as thief, mage, and knight as well as a few others. But DS is an RPG That allows you to change your mind as you develope your characters. If you want to be a knight who can shoot off magic to keep enemies at a distance, you can. IF you want to be a mage and have amazing and creative spells to tear your enemies apart, but at the same time be able to wield a sword, you can. But once you committ to what you want to be, you should stick with it because no matter where you spend your points toward a skill each skill will increase in cost. The only thing DS does not do perfect is story telling. The game lays out the plot for you and explains to you many things along the way, but for the most part the story is yours to make. It is because of this it was hard to connect with some NPCs and connect with them, but for the most part it still a good story. Demon's Souls is a game that does everything almost perfectly. The game looks good and will challenege you every step of the way. The fighting feels seemless and there are so many ways to use the fighting mechanics. And no class is boring at any point which gives the game tons and tons of replay value. For the "spiritual sequel" they could use a little work in the story department, but the story wasn't forgetable it just needs some fine tuning. Final Score.....................10/10 (only because You can't score it 9.5) Expand
  25. Feb 26, 2015
    5-6 years later and this game is still worth playing. It will offer any gamer seeking a rewarding challenge exactly what they seek. It's not so difficult as to completely frustrate you and chase you away, and offers a good deal of exploration. The only reason it gets a 9 is while there is replay value, it can feel a bit repetitive since you are basically forced to play through the same5-6 years later and this game is still worth playing. It will offer any gamer seeking a rewarding challenge exactly what they seek. It's not so difficult as to completely frustrate you and chase you away, and offers a good deal of exploration. The only reason it gets a 9 is while there is replay value, it can feel a bit repetitive since you are basically forced to play through the same game more than once at a higher difficulty if you are a trophy hunter, rather than simply offering a better level/difficulty scaling system that only requires a single play through of the game. Also, the graphics feel a bit dated even for a game from 2009, and at times the performance bogs down to a stuttering frame rate in certain areas where draw distance is further out with a lot of visuals being rendered on screen.

Anyone seeking a rewarding yet challenging game, especially in the action RPG genre, this should be on your must-play list, even 5-6 years after release.
  26. May 2, 2011
    Amazing game. Plain and simple. Most reviewers did this game justice, so I suggest you check out Gamespot's primarily. I just wanted to give this badboy a 10.
  27. Oct 3, 2011
    Ah, Demon's Souls...you magnificent bastard.

Misunderstood, even by those that love it...it doesn't lack a story..YOU are the story. It's the story of your journey, your failures, your successes, and any information regarding over arching world events are only relevant as far as your point of view allows, because my story will be different than yours, which will be different from
    Ah, Demon's Souls...you magnificent bastard.

It's the story of your journey, your failures, your successes, and any information regarding over arching world events are only relevant as far as your point of view allows, because my story will be different than yours, which will be different from others, just as uniquely.

This game hits the emotional spectrum on every level...devastation, frustration, enlightment, satisfaction, elation.
    It doesn't achieve that by being "too hard" or "un-fair".
    The game is perfectly fair, and yes, very challenging, but that's what makes it so great.
    If you die, it was because you weren't good enough, and yes, that is your fault, and yes there are penalties.
    The pay-off is, if you succeed, it is entirely because of your skill..you aren't going to button mash to victory here, or luck your way through a boss fight.
    That type of satisfaction is rare in gaming today where you fully expect to beat the game, no matter your skill level...a fact that is not at all guaranteed in this game.

If you are looking for a more casual experience, this game probably isn't going to be your cup of tea.
    The good news is, that most games on the market will cater to you, and despite some sneering in some of these reviews, there is nothing wrong with that.

Most game experiences are like winning a million bucks in the lottery.
    Demon's Souls is like working hard, through highs and lows to become a millionaire.
    Both of those are awesome, though the satisfaction you will receive from the second method is far beyond the first...but you'll have to put in the effort.

If you just want to blaze through like a bad-ass with little chance of failure, don't try this game.
    If you want a prolonged struggle with a game that's going to make you grab it by the throat and force it to it's knees..try it out!
  28. May 23, 2011
    I never saw the reason to bad mouth a game until youâ
  29. Sep 28, 2011
    I was very skeptical of this game at first, but this is one the most immersive experiences and the most realistic combat and genuine challenge I have ever found in an RPG. For those who know Phantasy Star Online, it actually play a lot like the first one, but it ditsches the grinding and the randomness for even more skill-based gameplay and exploration. A true gem.
  30. Sep 26, 2011
    At a time in the gaming industry when so many games hold your hand throughout the whole experience with little to no risk involved, games like Demon's Souls are a breath of fresh air. I have to give the devs a lot of credit here for really nailing the difficulty curve to make it as hard as it can be without making it impossible or feel like you died because of stupid game design. This gameAt a time in the gaming industry when so many games hold your hand throughout the whole experience with little to no risk involved, games like Demon's Souls are a breath of fresh air. I have to give the devs a lot of credit here for really nailing the difficulty curve to make it as hard as it can be without making it impossible or feel like you died because of stupid game design. This game just isn't that frustrating to me compared to other difficult games because it's so well done. I'm no beginner when it comes to difficult games. My favorites include the Prinny series, and old school games like Kid Icarus that were just brutal at the time, but part of that was some pretty irritating mechanics like simple jumping or not seeing what is coming. This is probably the first time I felt like every death was entirely dependent on my skill instead of dying to bad mechanics or stupid game design decisions. My character controlled exactly as I needed him to, but never took over for me when I made a mistake nor saved me from death when I deserved it.

Every single death was productive in helping me get better at the game. It took me a ridiculous amount of hours just to beat the first level, but it was really really fun. It got to the point that every obstacle I overcame was laughably easy going through it the 100th time making the deaths feel much less daunting getting back to where I died last so I could at least recover dropped souls (like a currency from killing something). It's the kind of design that reinforced the feeling that you're always making progress, and that nothing is all that difficult if you give it time and patience.

So to sum it all up, I think it's an incredible game in every way, unless the player prefers games with no death penalty and obstacles that are so easy you can go through entire levels in one try. if you like action RPGs, a little old-school difficulty, and great presentation, you gotta try this game!
  31. Jun 1, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games of all time and it's one of the top 5 of mine for the PS3. I love that this game challenges you and gives you a sense of accomplishment when you finally get past the part you were stuck at. New game + keeps the difficulty ramping up and it's awesome no matter how well you know the level or enemies one false move and you're screwed. At first I wasn't toThis is one of my favorite games of all time and it's one of the top 5 of mine for the PS3. I love that this game challenges you and gives you a sense of accomplishment when you finally get past the part you were stuck at. New game + keeps the difficulty ramping up and it's awesome no matter how well you know the level or enemies one false move and you're screwed. At first I wasn't to thrilled about the save or no pause feature.Then I got use to it after about 30 mins.You can trick the game into saving as most know just open inventory and go to items then back out and ta da saved.I think everyone should try this game even if they find it to hard they can at least experience it.This game gets a solid 10/10 from me and I can't wait for Dark Souls. Expand
  32. Mar 9, 2014
    Challenging and rewarding RPG with a great battle system and atmosphere, altough the nexus system destroys the last a bit. Punishes you for your mistakes and makes sure, you wont make them twice.
  33. Jun 14, 2011
    Given the current state of video games, Demon's Souls is a breath of fresh air in that it's an actual challenge. Unforgiving gameplay, brutal and epic boss fights, dangerous enemies around every turn, and an amazingly dark and gloomy atmosphere are what make Demon's Souls one of my favorite games. What you won't get with DS is a story/character-driven RPG. It's an immersive dungeon crawlerGiven the current state of video games, Demon's Souls is a breath of fresh air in that it's an actual challenge. Unforgiving gameplay, brutal and epic boss fights, dangerous enemies around every turn, and an amazingly dark and gloomy atmosphere are what make Demon's Souls one of my favorite games. What you won't get with DS is a story/character-driven RPG. It's an immersive dungeon crawler with minimal story. Nothing more, nothing less. Expand
  34. Jun 26, 2011
    Very harsh game. If you don't like that, you should probably stick with less challenging games like "Dora the Explorer's Big Adventure." Only detractors were the multiplayer features and the ineffective character creation setup.
  35. Mar 8, 2015
    In the space of about 4 years, I bought Demon's Souls, hated Demon's Souls, sold Demon's souls, bought Dark Souls, liked Dark Souls, bought Demon's Souls again, and realised I was an idiot and actually got to enjoy Demon's Souls. Love was not immediate however, and I'm not sure what I was expecting first time around. Like Dark Souls, the game is not a dumb hack & slash/3rd person actionIn the space of about 4 years, I bought Demon's Souls, hated Demon's Souls, sold Demon's souls, bought Dark Souls, liked Dark Souls, bought Demon's Souls again, and realised I was an idiot and actually got to enjoy Demon's Souls. Love was not immediate however, and I'm not sure what I was expecting first time around. Like Dark Souls, the game is not a dumb hack & slash/3rd person action RPG - treat the game like that and a good time will not be had. Strategy, wits and timing are key, as is memorization and a pinch of forethought. The mindset required to play the game was not forthcoming initially. A great challenge. Expand
  36. Oct 17, 2011
    Demon's souls is highly recommended for hardcore gamers and people that don't get frustrated so easily. This game is addictive as hell. Give it a try and actually you'll see that it isn't a really difficult game. You need to learn or figure out how to approach your enemies. Unique multiplayer experiece gives you a lot a hints. So, if you get kill many times isn't because of cheap enemies,Demon's souls is highly recommended for hardcore gamers and people that don't get frustrated so easily. This game is addictive as hell. Give it a try and actually you'll see that it isn't a really difficult game. You need to learn or figure out how to approach your enemies. Unique multiplayer experiece gives you a lot a hints. So, if you get kill many times isn't because of cheap enemies, it's because you shouldn't be there so early in the game... or because you really suck. Of course you'll die a lot. Be patient, careful and you'll enjoy it. It's an amazing game. Expand
  37. Oct 24, 2011
    BRILLIANT! NO OTHER WORDS NEEDED! Visuals are fantastic and well the gameplay, well it may seem pretty tedious when you die but it compels you to try again and again until you prevail. This game beats the hell out of Oblivion.
  38. Sep 30, 2011
    This game got me good, only game ive ever properly imported. The sheer punishment just compels you to try harder and the atmosphere has you on constant guard because anything and everything can spell your doom. The story is good too but you have to interact with the world to get the full gist of it so its not in your face. Any PS3 owner should have this game in their collection.
  39. Oct 24, 2011
    A truly must try out master piece of a game. another must experience game. try it you will not regret This is the Must Have Title for the Playstation 3. Its hard, but never have I experienced a game with so much reward to the player for putting the time and Effort into a game.
  40. Nov 8, 2011
    A real challenge. Very dark fantasy setting. Refreshing to not have your hand held the whole time while playing. So many possibilities to explore, hidden secrets everywhere from items to npc interactions. Just beat dark souls and thought I would try demons souls again for a comparison, still loving it, cant wait for the next 'souls' game.
  41. Feb 12, 2012
    Demon's Souls is extremely difficult with a load of frustration of failing. You will die several times until you get the hang of what you can conquer and when to retreat. A fun and very challenging game with a very unique story line.
  42. Feb 20, 2012
    BEST RPG game ever!, sooooo underrated too, i mean how the **** can an AMAZING game like this get a 7 or 8 while other **** games like Skyirm get 8 and 9, believe me.. you MUST buy this game.. Its so much fun, the story is also AMAZING! You will really like this game, I highly recommend this game to everyone with a PS3
  43. Nov 15, 2011
    Truly an amazing experience that fans of rpg games and action games will love. In fact this is a game I recommend every one to try. Its deep with a long adventure tons of story not to mention the amazing on-line system that makes this simple looking game turn in to a MMO. Seriously you will feel that this game is a MMO after you start playing it on-line. It really takes the experience to aTruly an amazing experience that fans of rpg games and action games will love. In fact this is a game I recommend every one to try. Its deep with a long adventure tons of story not to mention the amazing on-line system that makes this simple looking game turn in to a MMO. Seriously you will feel that this game is a MMO after you start playing it on-line. It really takes the experience to a whole new level. I HIGHLY recommend this game to every one. If i could give this game a 11 I would. Expand
  44. Apr 22, 2013
    Many complain about this games difficulty but it really comes down skill and wits. You can't just run into a battle swinging your sword expecting to do well. You actually have to think about your strategy in the fight. You also have to know your style of fighting. If you have great timing, you would be well suited for a regular shield so you can counter attack enemies. If timing isn't yourMany complain about this games difficulty but it really comes down skill and wits. You can't just run into a battle swinging your sword expecting to do well. You actually have to think about your strategy in the fight. You also have to know your style of fighting. If you have great timing, you would be well suited for a regular shield so you can counter attack enemies. If timing isn't your forte, then you can use a Great Shield for increased defense but no counter ability. Same goes for the weapons. You need to recognize your enemies attacks and either block or dodge accordingly. This game is not that hard if you use your brain and practice. You have to have good stamina management, and be aware of your surroundings so if you are fighting, you know where you can back up and not fall off a cliff. If you think this game is too hard, you just aren't trying hard enough, or you just aren't as good as you thought you were at video games. Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2011
    I bought this game way back when, drawn in by the promise of a harder-than-normal experience to remind me of the punishment I used to put myself through back in the mid-to-late 80, before games started to hold your hand and show you what to do. I was not prepared for this!

After attempting the first level several times over, I am sad to say I gave up, and went back to other, lighter experiences. Then Dark Souls came out - I was hooked, and decided before I progressed too far into that game I'd give Demon's Souls another go and what do you know - I'm now hooked on that!

The first area acts as a tutorial of sorts (not that it prepares you for the challenge ahead), then you die for the first time of many. Dumped in The Nexus, a hub world from which you can access the other worlds, you must move on and seek out... Demon's souls.

Level one finally completed, you are now able to use said souls to level up your character in typical RPG fashion. The only problem is every time you die you lose all the juicy souls you just spend hours collecting. You can get them back if you can make it back to the place of your death, but if you die on the way there, you leave a new bloodstain that wipes out the previous one.

Having finally, after a couple of days of dying, defeated the first boss, I went to move on to the next area beyond him. It was then that I realised I'd spent so long, and died so frequently, in the first area, that a map of it had been burned to my mind, and this new area was all the more alien and foreboding for it.

I can't really put in words (as you've probably noticed) just why this game is so great. But it is. The way I'm going, this game is likely to last a number of years!
  46. Nov 14, 2011
    first, i write this after playing dark souls, if not, my score will be of 10. i bought this game 2 years ago because i heard about his difficult and because i love action rpg games, when i playend i was very surprised, i bought this game only for culture and i finished playing it for hundred of hours. the game system is very simple but awesome hard to control perfectly, the worlds and thefirst, i write this after playing dark souls, if not, my score will be of 10. i bought this game 2 years ago because i heard about his difficult and because i love action rpg games, when i playend i was very surprised, i bought this game only for culture and i finished playing it for hundred of hours. the game system is very simple but awesome hard to control perfectly, the worlds and the bosses, i love everyone of them and when you think that finally you finish it, you start the DS+, and you keep playing.... AWESOME GAME. sorry for my english and thanks. Expand
  47. Nov 17, 2011
    Right out of the gate I'm going to tell you that you should buy demon's souls, it is a great game if one known for its difficulty, everything this game does is as solid as it could be whilst you WILL die alot when playing it the deaths are never frustrating and you never feel cheated by a mechanic. The note leaving world invading system that is Online play in demons souls is as good as ifRight out of the gate I'm going to tell you that you should buy demon's souls, it is a great game if one known for its difficulty, everything this game does is as solid as it could be whilst you WILL die alot when playing it the deaths are never frustrating and you never feel cheated by a mechanic. The note leaving world invading system that is Online play in demons souls is as good as if playing offline and the defferent environments ingame are as atmospheric and well realised as a gamer could wish for with new game + replayability on offer and addictively rewarding combat with the different enemies you encounter demon's souls is surely a great game. The only dowsides I can find here is the need to grind for some of the rarer ingame items which is, well a grind to be honest. Expand
  48. Nov 17, 2011
    You are going to suffer in this game. Begging the monsters to give you a break while you roll away trying to reach safely. You'll curse and throw your controller at the screen too! But once you beat the game all your suffering and despair will be lifted. For the first time in your life you will feel like you actually accomplished something. Your teachers at school who said you'd neverYou are going to suffer in this game. Begging the monsters to give you a break while you roll away trying to reach safely. You'll curse and throw your controller at the screen too! But once you beat the game all your suffering and despair will be lifted. For the first time in your life you will feel like you actually accomplished something. Your teachers at school who said you'd never amount to anything will be red faced when you tell them you finished this game. This ain't your mom's dungeon crawler. Expand
  49. Apr 1, 2012
    Demon's Souls is a soul crushing game. The dark world adds significantly to the stiff difficulty of the game and the unique online play never breaks the lonely atmosphere. It is seeped in old fashioned level design and being sent back to the start of a stage can be frustrating. The balance of your arsenal is off as magic can be too useful and armor is useless but the swordplay well made.Demon's Souls is a soul crushing game. The dark world adds significantly to the stiff difficulty of the game and the unique online play never breaks the lonely atmosphere. It is seeped in old fashioned level design and being sent back to the start of a stage can be frustrating. The balance of your arsenal is off as magic can be too useful and armor is useless but the swordplay well made. This game is certainly not for everyone, but anyone willing to put up with its unforgiving nature will find an experience like no other. Expand
  50. Jul 7, 2012
    I haven't played a game that really challenged nor rewarded me in awhile then Demon's Souls. This game is excellent. Tough levels with "bosses" that really are as advertised. If you grew up playing games like Mega Man or any other similar old school games you will thoroughly enjoy Demon's Souls.
  51. Apr 29, 2013
    I've played many great games during the last twenty years, and Demon's Souls is one of the best.
    I wish I had come to it earlier, but it's reputation for being brutally hard kept me away.Fear not.
    Sling a spell, discover a ring or two in the first level, keep your shield up, and patiently persevere, and you WILL succeed. And then, slowly but surely an unforgettable, incredible gaming
    and you WILL succeed. And then, slowly but surely an unforgettable, incredible gaming experience
    will open up to you. One that contains beautiful, INGENIOUS level designs; an arsenal of weapons
    and spells; REALLY fun, strategic combat; and hair-raising danger and suspense.Don't miss out (like
    I almost did) on this amazing achievement.
  52. Feb 15, 2012
    So, you'll die a lot in this game. You'll be really challenged, maybe even frustrated and there is not much of a story to speak of. But... if you are looking for something gratifying and a real sense of accomplishment, this is singularly alone, barring the spiritual successor to this game, Dark Souls. Demon's Souls will not hold your hand, in fact it will throw you to the wolves... A LOT.So, you'll die a lot in this game. You'll be really challenged, maybe even frustrated and there is not much of a story to speak of. But... if you are looking for something gratifying and a real sense of accomplishment, this is singularly alone, barring the spiritual successor to this game, Dark Souls. Demon's Souls will not hold your hand, in fact it will throw you to the wolves... A LOT. And unlike a lot of other modern games pretending that your previous death didn't happen and sending you back only a few minutes earlier to to your previous auto-save, death is a big part of the game and it matters if you die, the game doesn't pretend you didn't die, Demon's Souls wants you to learn from your mistake by sending you back to the beginning of the level. The sense of accomplishing something difficult is the crux of this game, and if that is something you're interested in and you've overlooked this game, get this game now; there are very few games out there as good and gratifying as Demon's Souls. Expand
  53. Feb 18, 2012
    Demon's Souls is a true innovative game. Where death normally seems formidable, DS has a new kind of definition: death builds up experience. The more you die, the better you will learn to survive. The no-saving open world is also a very original concept in a single-player game. Just like an MMORPG, DS brings in online multiplayer in surprising ways such as changing difficulties, clues leftDemon's Souls is a true innovative game. Where death normally seems formidable, DS has a new kind of definition: death builds up experience. The more you die, the better you will learn to survive. The no-saving open world is also a very original concept in a single-player game. Just like an MMORPG, DS brings in online multiplayer in surprising ways such as changing difficulties, clues left by other players and invading others' worlds. Overall, my only complaint is the lack of items : this may be why it's fun though without looting weapons and armors everywhere and stick to a limited supply for better experience. Expand
  54. Jun 11, 2012
    Was never a tale of such lore was Demon's Souls. A game so difficult your character laid crumpled, broken and very much dead in the original cover art. Yet was it really that difficult? Neigh, only momentarily frustrating at best. Demon's Souls was a game that never should have happened; a miraculous moment when everything in the From Software headquarters was in precisely the wrong placeWas never a tale of such lore was Demon's Souls. A game so difficult your character laid crumpled, broken and very much dead in the original cover art. Yet was it really that difficult? Neigh, only momentarily frustrating at best. Demon's Souls was a game that never should have happened; a miraculous moment when everything in the From Software headquarters was in precisely the wrong place to prevent its coming. It wasn't a sequel, it wasn't targeting a particularly well known demographic and it was, for all intents and purposes, exactly the sort of thing you do not want to do in terms of business. The rest, as they say, is history. Demon's Souls has become a phenomenally successful Playstation title, one that lead gamers to the darker side of gaming where health was neither copious or advised and games were never forgiving. Demon's Souls is just brilliant. Even when the initial fear to round a corner starts to wane as you begin to memorise near every minute detail of the environments there is that unrelenting reminder that you are always only one mistake from death and a tedious journey to a checkpoint unknown. This game doesn't play nice, it's designed to oppress you and it's by beating it over and over again that the player will find its true value. Making this game your **** is exactly what makes it so damn fun. Expand
  55. Mar 10, 2012
    Every action you take has consequence(s). Every mistake you make in Demon's Souls is your own. I've played this game start to finish several times. I am yet to die from clipping, clunky controls, poor hit detection or even ambiguous level design. Gameplay is perfect, Lore is enthralling. From Software needs to start a donations page.
  56. Mar 18, 2012
    demon's souls is a perfect combination of challenge, atmosphere, and fun. best integration of multiplayer in a game of this style yet! awesome, unique music, and a blast to try out new characters and builds.
  57. Mar 29, 2012
    After Demon's Souls, this game is a must have for all players who need a different kind of challenge. Personally, I found this game easier than its predecessor (in general), but more and more fun!
    In one word, this game is AWESOME!
  58. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is amazing. I really almost went without buying this game but it was on sale one day and got some pretty good reviews and so I decided to give it a try. Anyway what followed was a week that has gone missing from my life and none of my friend or family knew what happened to me that week. What did happen was I was in the dark dangerous dungeons of demons souls and was fighting forThis game is amazing. I really almost went without buying this game but it was on sale one day and got some pretty good reviews and so I decided to give it a try. Anyway what followed was a week that has gone missing from my life and none of my friend or family knew what happened to me that week. What did happen was I was in the dark dangerous dungeons of demons souls and was fighting for my life. This game was fun, addicting, and beautiful. I loved the setting, the huge bossed, the combat and the online reading different tips, I loved the traps and the experience of going online a reading about how to do or kill or get past something. When I was away from this game I was reading how to do the next part, studying how to overcome an obstacle. This game amazed me even at the very end. There is one thing that does seem kind of ridiculous which is the gem stones, you only get I think 10 times and if you mess up well that is too bad. But that is only for those who want to create a weapon. I loved how it started and had the nexus with all the tips written about, if felt like i was taken truely to another place. I have never felt this much immersion and dedication from or for a game before. As of writing this review the only other games i have given 10s have been braid and uncharted 2, and metal gear solid ps1 Expand
  59. Aug 24, 2012
    this game is not bad i bought this game sat down 1 hour into game it got hard i mean confusing the no like save data or check point really odd none the less i die start back start really headache but none the less it good game prove to be more challenging then i expect gave it 10 cause it got good graphic and fighting in it
  60. Apr 17, 2014
    One of the most brutal, dark, mature, unique rpgs to ever come out. A beautiful, dark fantasy. Demon's Souls brought the difficulty back to games at a time when handholding had become the norm. It's safe to say that Demon's Souls is the most challenging game I have ever played. I've tried many times to complete the game but to no avail...and I don't think I ever will. This is a gameOne of the most brutal, dark, mature, unique rpgs to ever come out. A beautiful, dark fantasy. Demon's Souls brought the difficulty back to games at a time when handholding had become the norm. It's safe to say that Demon's Souls is the most challenging game I have ever played. I've tried many times to complete the game but to no avail...and I don't think I ever will. This is a game that requires devout patience, time, and effort. The more you explore the world, the more you will see how much thought was put into this game. After watching a few playthroughs of the game being beaten, I have complete respect for the game. While brutally challenging, the game is always fair, and if a mistake is done, it is the player's fault. A near perfect game that is hard to find fault with. Sometimes the game becomes more of a chore to play than fun though because of the respawning of enemies and lack of checkpoints in between. This is definitely not a game you can relax to. The moment you stop paying attention is the moment you die and have to start the area all over again. This is a tense game where you have to be very calculated and aware. On the other hand, there isn't a game like it in this modern age of gaming. In that sense, its a game that will have you coming back for more and more after countless defeats wanting to finally beat it. The menus are a bit bland and unappealing to look at, but the game has a certain charm that grows on you as if the developers purposely made the menus that way. All in all, Demon Souls is one of the best thought out games of the PS3 generation, and your enjoyment will depend on how much of a beating you can handle. Expand
  61. May 30, 2012
    I don't think of myself as a hardcore gamer but I absolutely loved this game. The best part of the game is being able to play with others and, not having to deal with half wits screeching stupid comments because guests are muted. It is, so far, without any doubt my most beloved PS3 game. I enjoyed it more than Dark Souls, as well. Although I look forward to a sequel from either Demon orI don't think of myself as a hardcore gamer but I absolutely loved this game. The best part of the game is being able to play with others and, not having to deal with half wits screeching stupid comments because guests are muted. It is, so far, without any doubt my most beloved PS3 game. I enjoyed it more than Dark Souls, as well. Although I look forward to a sequel from either Demon or Dark Souls because the implementation of multiplayer is brilliant! Expand
  62. Aug 1, 2012
    Probably the best game I've played this generation.
    Difficult and addictive, does not just keep playing until you finish the game, but until you get the platinum!
  63. Sep 29, 2012
    This game is for people who enjoy brutal and unforgiving consequences when making mistakes. Because of this I highly recommend this for the masochistic gamer. It provides a unique ARPG experience and challenge that many games lack now. The major annoyance I had with the game is the Soul Form / Human Form pvp system. This game screams "come at me bro" if you play online and remain inThis game is for people who enjoy brutal and unforgiving consequences when making mistakes. Because of this I highly recommend this for the masochistic gamer. It provides a unique ARPG experience and challenge that many games lack now. The major annoyance I had with the game is the Soul Form / Human Form pvp system. This game screams "come at me bro" if you play online and remain in human form. For that reason I usually ended up committing suicide in the haven after returning to human form until I was ready to pvp. Also, for people interested in playing so late after the release, if you do intend to pvp as a new player on your first play through be prepared to be out geared by those who have been around a while. Expand
  64. Sep 29, 2012
    Demon's Souls has shown me how much I really SUCK as a gamer. LOL! :) If anything, it's teaching me how to be more situationally aware of what I do and is actually helping me to become more skilled - albeit, slowly, because apparently the depth of my Suck As a Player runs deeper than I ever imagined. I bought Demon's Souls knowing how horridly difficult it was going to be, but I had NODemon's Souls has shown me how much I really SUCK as a gamer. LOL! :) If anything, it's teaching me how to be more situationally aware of what I do and is actually helping me to become more skilled - albeit, slowly, because apparently the depth of my Suck As a Player runs deeper than I ever imagined. I bought Demon's Souls knowing how horridly difficult it was going to be, but I had NO CONCEPTION of what hard was until I played this game. After multiple and exceedingly frustrating deaths that I could have avoided had I remembered that my health bar doesn't replenish automatically and that I actually have to eat something to restore it (playing WoW for so many years has made me complacent), I ultimately end up throwing the controller into a pillow on the couch while shouting "SCREW this game!" I then shut off the game in indignation for awhile and play Plants vs. Zombies on my iPad for awhile to soothe my ego and make myself feel "uber" again. ;) Though it's frustrating as hell, I have to admit - it's kind of hilarious how hard this game is, so if you can maintain a sense of humour and are bullheaded and machochistic enough to keep trying - it's actually a fun game. Gameplay is organic and is how you would fight in real life - you need to adapt to each new horror that lurks in the dark around the next corner. Though this game is profoundly hard (times 10 to the power of 73), it kind of hails back to the unforgiving games I played back in the 80s and 90s, games that required skill and weren't forgiving of errors - once you died, that was it - you had to start over from the beginning. Demon's Souls is engaging, dark and frightening, because once you die - back to the beginning of the instance you go. It requires you to pay close attention to your environment. Spamming spells and button mashing won't help you here - you have to learn how to fight like you would in real life - if real life consisted of undead attacks and giant demon bosses trying to crush you into hamburger. Attacks must be actively blocked, dodged and parried - there is no auto-attack to save you. You need to assess what each enemy is throwing at you and change your play style accordingly. I both love and hate this game. I hate that it shows me how truly incompetent and unskilled I am as a gamer, and yet I love the smug satisfaction of progressing JUST a little bit more each time. It's worth the multiple deaths and blows to your pride because when you DO progress a little further, you feel like a rock star. LOL! This game is like going to gamer gym - it will make you a better player at other games because other games will be simple after playing this. I've only been playing it for a month on and off, and so far and I am ashamed to admit I haven't gotten past Boletarian Palace (which is the first world - yes, I suck that bad). I haven't found much in terms of lore or story yet, but the atmosphere, constant threat of inevitable death and the tension created by the game's difficulty distracts from the lack of story so far and feels like I'm actually there just fighting for my life. I love the fact you can see the ghostly forms of other players running past you, and smears of blood that, when touched, show you how the other player died - and there are a LOT of blood stains, which in a way, make you feel better for failing so much. In an odd way, the blood stains, messages on the ground and ghostly forms of other players running past you and disappearing add to the atmosphere of this dark and difficult game, and make you feel a little less alone in your valiant quest to suck less. :) Expand
  65. Oct 13, 2012
    It is one of the best action rpg games ever made but didn't need to be that unforgiving it doesn't make it better but that's just me. Having said that it's a great and immersive game which must be played by all hardcore gamers. Especially them.
  66. May 7, 2013
    "A surprising release that no one saw coming? Demon's Souls is a unique game in concept, story telling, and execution Like Dark Souls, which came after Demon's souls, isn't for everybody. Demon's Souls just as difficult and challenging as Dark Souls. Other players that played both games in the series found Demon's Souls much harder, I think because there isn't a cheap way to defeat a boss"A surprising release that no one saw coming? Demon's Souls is a unique game in concept, story telling, and execution Like Dark Souls, which came after Demon's souls, isn't for everybody. Demon's Souls just as difficult and challenging as Dark Souls. Other players that played both games in the series found Demon's Souls much harder, I think because there isn't a cheap way to defeat a boss in Demon's Souls, that in the World Tendency system.

Demon's Souls is a Dungeon Crawler/Action Jrpg. The setting that takes place in a fantasy kingdom called Boletaria. Monumentals summoned a demon called the Old One and shroud Boletaria with a fog. Demons conker the land of Boletaria, taking human souls to fest off of and to feed the Old One that will swallowing the world in fog. As for the player, you venture into the fog of north Boletaria so ether slay the demons and save the world from Demon fog or become a demon your self and rule the world with greed or is it greed? That's for the player to find out as Demon's souls gives players a new way to tell a story as it isn't directory given to the player. Instead, world and item descriptions give the player a sense of what really happen before and after the fog took over Boletaria. Personally found this way of story telling fascinating as each person as their own theories in the story of Demon's souls.

Besides a new way of telling a story, Demon's Souls comes with a interesting online concept. Players can see the ghost of other players while in there own world. If another player dies, you can see their blood stain which will show there last seconds before death giving you cation to where you may die if not careful. Players can also leave messages on the floor giving tips or mischief to new players in their adventure. You can summon summon players in Human form to assists you in defeating the level as well as other players who can invade your world and kill you for half your souls and take your human form. This systems comes with a risk and reward system, anything good could come with benefits and drawbacks to player.

The combat to Demon's Souls is nothing like a hack and slash game, your limited to a stamina bar, once depleted, you are unable to attack, defend, or evade. This forces you to attack and defend tactically and understand enemy patterns giving you the strategic advantage. Death comes with a toll, if killed, you turn back into soul form and drop all your souls. If you're able to head back to the same spot you last died, you pick up the souls you dropped but die again before achieving them back means losing them and dropping a new set of souls you currently have on. Souls count as experiences for leveling and currency.

Demon's Souls is an unique game that does something new in the gaming world. If you enjoyed Dark Souls, I highly suggest picking Demon's souls to find a slightly new experiences.
  67. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is definitely not for everyone. It's hard, it's unforgiving but i liked it very much ! I have finished it more than 3 times ! One of my best ps3 game !
  68. Nov 15, 2012
    Though there are a lot of glitches in the game, you will spend plentyof hours with your friends and others going throught the levels and getting the best weapons. Graphics are perfect for this game and gameplay is also good. A nice take on a RPG.
  69. Nov 18, 2012
    Gameplay - 10/10. Graphics - 10/10. Sound - 6.5/10. Overall - 8.8/10. It
  70. May 1, 2014
    Been a hardcore gamer for 30 years and I gotta say this series is like no other I've played. Growing up on games with 3 lives and no continues or clues (or internet), it certainly is not nearly as hard as people say, but it is difficult in it's own special way. If you let it it will suck you in and hold on like very few games can. Too many games focus on story and hand-holding. ThisBeen a hardcore gamer for 30 years and I gotta say this series is like no other I've played. Growing up on games with 3 lives and no continues or clues (or internet), it certainly is not nearly as hard as people say, but it is difficult in it's own special way. If you let it it will suck you in and hold on like very few games can. Too many games focus on story and hand-holding. This one puts gameplay and atmosphere front and center, just like the good ol' days. I wish I was playing it right now. Expand
  71. Jan 6, 2013
    What's great about Demon's Souls is that it always gives you a choice of what you'd like to do. There are so many things to do, and the game never forces you to travel down a single linear path. The only downside to the game may be that some enemies are slightly imbalanced, and it is also possible for you to screw up your play-through and be forced to restart. But even after restarting theWhat's great about Demon's Souls is that it always gives you a choice of what you'd like to do. There are so many things to do, and the game never forces you to travel down a single linear path. The only downside to the game may be that some enemies are slightly imbalanced, and it is also possible for you to screw up your play-through and be forced to restart. But even after restarting the game twice, I still felt like defeating some of the bosses I'd already killed, just to progress to the very end. It was a fun experience throughout. Expand
  72. Jan 29, 2013
    O jogo foi uma descoberta incrível de um sistema muito divertido de se jogar. Indo na contra mão de todos os grandes jogos lançados, a dificuldade é sua maior marca. Me fez gastar muitas e muitas horas de puro prazer até conquistar a platina.
  73. Oct 16, 2013
    I've played some difficult games lately, but this is on a whole different level. This is not a negative thing, and I feel like you'd have to play it to understand the depth of this statement It's a beautifully crafted game that demands your undivided attention and forces you to recall gamer skills that you proably haven't used in more than a decade
  74. Nov 29, 2013
    Demon's Souls is not a game that I would recommend for those with little patience and a big temper; however, if those qualities do not apply to the individual then this game is highly enjoyable and very rewarding. The game-play is very well crafted and easy to master. The rpg elements such as leveling, stores, and diverse enemies (with the exclusion of a strong story) are build upon aDemon's Souls is not a game that I would recommend for those with little patience and a big temper; however, if those qualities do not apply to the individual then this game is highly enjoyable and very rewarding. The game-play is very well crafted and easy to master. The rpg elements such as leveling, stores, and diverse enemies (with the exclusion of a strong story) are build upon a solid foundation. The reason many are strongly attracted to this game is because of the high difficultly of it. Even the weakest of enemies in this game will kill you regardless of your level. This game promotes caution and rewards those who are persistent in their efforts with greater rewards. This game also has a new game plus mode though it doesn't appear in the main menu (you automatically start again after beating the game). With the plus mode the game's difficulty increases from 100% to 240% and then continues to increase by 40% after each playthrough. This is essentially the COD multiplayer of the rgs, nearly the same thing every time but far more rewarding and satisfying if can endure the everlasting agony of always dying. Expand
  75. Sep 19, 2013
    A breath of fresh air for the “non-casual” gamer.
    Nowadays most game developers' target audience is the “casual gamer”.
    A breath of fresh air for the “non-casual” gamer.
    Nowadays most game developers' target audience is the “casual gamer”.
    The casual gamer is like a normal human being, except incredibly stupid. The casual gamer has the patience and mental capacity of a four-year-old. When presented with a choice, such as two possible paths, and not provided blatant evidence implying the consequences of each path in advance, the casual gamer will panic. They will begin to foaming at the mouth, shaking violently, and sobbing. If the casual gamer encounters a challenge and fails, they do not learn from their failure. They will continue trying to employ the same strategy, and failing, until they grow old and die, because the casual gamer lacks the basic human facilities to recognize signals and patterns that are necessary for human beings to exist and function in the world.
    Demon's Souls is not made for the casual gamer. If you're sick and tired of excessive hand holding, objective markers, shallow can't-go-wrong builds, constant cinematics, linearity, typical multiplayer mechanics, and general lack of difficulty, look no further. This is a game made for gamers who can learn from their mistakes and enjoy a challenge. It's also one of the most innovative and unique games ever conceived. It's developers like From Software that keep gaming alive for those of us with brains.
  76. Mar 11, 2014
    There simply aren't any other RPGs out there like this one. It's an absolute masterpiece when it comes to almost every aspect of the game. It is really hard to go back and play a regular hack and slash game after playing Demon's Souls.
  77. Apr 7, 2014
    Welcome back to the eighties? Demon's Souls is a definite return to the challenging aspects of video games which was quite common among the Nintendo Entertainment System. The whole "trial and error" game-play is where Demon's Souls stands out in comparison to the majority of current video games. While there is a noticeable lack of content based on role-playing game standards, there's stillWelcome back to the eighties? Demon's Souls is a definite return to the challenging aspects of video games which was quite common among the Nintendo Entertainment System. The whole "trial and error" game-play is where Demon's Souls stands out in comparison to the majority of current video games. While there is a noticeable lack of content based on role-playing game standards, there's still a lot to do and a lot to replay due to the revolutionary online and the ability to create different builds to play throughout the game over and over again. Expand
  78. Dec 31, 2013
    This is system-seller for Ps3 and one of the best games of this generation. Very deep, very classy and very oldschool: we want more games today like this! :)
    It's a '90s RPG with '10s graphics, so difficult, so "it makes me a psychopath" game, but totally awesome and fresh in today's "more action than RPG" RPG's. :)
    I
    WANT
    MORE!!!
    :D
  79. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is really weird at first with the super derpy, greasy character creation but afterwards it proves to be an amazing game with great scenery, unique looking monsters, and really cool equipment. This game has a different feel about it in comparison to both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, it just feels fun and interesting throughout the entire game. Now the PvE is really nice and theThis game is really weird at first with the super derpy, greasy character creation but afterwards it proves to be an amazing game with great scenery, unique looking monsters, and really cool equipment. This game has a different feel about it in comparison to both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, it just feels fun and interesting throughout the entire game. Now the PvE is really nice and the NG+ difficulty is good too but, the PvP can be very one sided when it comes to fight a mage with tons of buffs that can just one-shot you or a cleric with mountains of regeneration flipping around with a great axe constantly hitting you without a chance of you winning, but other then that the PvP is pretty fun. Expand
  80. Jun 21, 2014
    I almost feel ashamed that I am just now playing this game. This is a masterpiece and it's been a long time since I really felt challenged in a game. The environments are amazing with a hopeless feeling to them. There is so much to do and so many different ways to play this game that you can keep coming back to this game over and over. There are times when I get frustrated with this gameI almost feel ashamed that I am just now playing this game. This is a masterpiece and it's been a long time since I really felt challenged in a game. The environments are amazing with a hopeless feeling to them. There is so much to do and so many different ways to play this game that you can keep coming back to this game over and over. There are times when I get frustrated with this game but it's usually because I try to rush a part and pay for it with my souls.

The game requires patience (which many people lack these days) but it really does require skill as well. If you want a challenge, try this game out. You will not be disappointed.
  81. Oct 21, 2014
    The first entry into From Software's Souls series, Demon's Souls, is an impressive RPG that has gained a reputation for being very difficult - so much so that this perceived difficulty basically has to be mentioned every time the Souls series is discussed. Certainly, the game unfortunately doesn't do its best to introduce new players into it (which some may consider a positive), but onceThe first entry into From Software's Souls series, Demon's Souls, is an impressive RPG that has gained a reputation for being very difficult - so much so that this perceived difficulty basically has to be mentioned every time the Souls series is discussed. Certainly, the game unfortunately doesn't do its best to introduce new players into it (which some may consider a positive), but once you do understand the nuance of its combat, how to manage stamina and when to block attacks or roll through them, how to progress through the game, etc., it becomes a quite-brilliant game.

The story here is minimal, with the pretense basically being to put an end to a demon attack. The enjoyment comes from the adventure: moving through its five varied Worlds and defeating its large diversity of bosses. The level and enemy design is top-notch, and the variety of weapons, armour, and magic in the game genuinely encourage extra playthroughs with different characters. Aside from a few boss fights and annoying moments, I found its difficulty very manageable - I didn't die too often once I took my time and played the game the way it wanted me to play, and by no means is it the hardest game I've ever played.

Demon's Souls biggest flaw, especially after playing its sequel Dark Souls, is its health system. In order to heal yourself in this game, you must consume Moon Grass. While doing this, your character remains completely defenseless for a brief period, which can provide fittingly tense moments when an enemy is quickly closing the distance or about to attack; while this is a strength, the problem lies in if you die, your Moon Grass is not restored (unlike Estus in the aforementioned Dark Souls). Depending on how skilled you are at the game, this could create a potentially monotonous grind if you find yourself failing again and again and run out, which is a very real possibility when fighting the Flamelurker and the Maneaters boss fights.

If you want to get the most out of the game, you'll most likely have to make heavy use of the Internet and the Demon's Souls wiki, because as previously mentioned the game just doesn't explain its mechanics very well - and while this is acceptable when the player can figure it out on their own, at times it can be frustrating when the game makes no effort to explain itself (such as Character and World Tendency, for example).

There's a lot of depth here, provided you're willing to put in the time to get into it. At times, the game subverts your expectations to great effect (for example, the final boss of the Valley of Defilement) and, while some people may merely consider this game a stepping stone to the arguably greater Dark Souls, Demon's Souls is worth any moderately skilled gamer's time, so long as they have patience and can tolerate the early game's vagueness.
  82. Sep 21, 2014
    El primero de la saga y el mejor. Vino de tapado, sin hype ninguno y es indescriptible las sensaciones que me produjo al jugarlo. Las satisfacciones que te da al ir superando monstruos finales son inmensas. Uno de mis favoritos de la ya pasada generación, una joya atemporal. No probarlo por lo menos un pecado para cualquier hardcore gamer.
  83. Oct 25, 2014
    Heheheh i remember how much thought i gave to getting this game, the legendary difficulty was a little intimidating and overall saw both nice and bad reviews about it.

Yes, the game's hard, but not impossible, everyone with patience and dedication can beat it eventually. This has to be my favorite souls encarnation, all 3 of them so far are incredible, but always go back to this one,

This has to be my favorite souls encarnation, all 3 of them so far are incredible, but always go back to this one, thanks to the story (by far the best by a BIG margin) characters and level design. The difficult here seems more "intelligent" than in dark souls and surely than dk2. This game is way shorter than them but thats not a bad thing at all, is cool for frequent replays. The boletaria castle area is one of the best levels ive played in my life, is a testament of the imagination of the creators,it can be said they had great fun in doing it.
    This is also the darkest of the souls games, is unbeatable, even if dk world is bigger and nicer overall.

One of the best games of its generations, in my top10 of ps3 for sure, never played it but played the other souls games? GET THIS NOW.
    Is almost perfect.

1. Demon's Souls: Unbelievably hard and unbelievably satisfying at the same time. If you accomplish to get through your initial rage attacks, you will experience an outstanding action-RPG with a tense and dark atmosphere.
    Beyond the initial threat of difficulty there waits a remarkable combination of accessibility and challenge, of risk and reward, punishment and empowerment.
  3. It's stoic, uncompromising, difficult to get to know, but also deep, intriguingly disturbed and perversely rewarding. You can learn to love Demon's Souls like few other games in the world. But only if you're prepared to give yourself over to it. [JPN Import]