• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Oct 6, 2009
8.7

1. Sep 21, 2014
    El primero de la saga y el mejor. Vino de tapado, sin hype ninguno y es indescriptible las sensaciones que me produjo al jugarlo. Las satisfacciones que te da al ir superando monstruos finales son inmensas. Uno de mis favoritos de la ya pasada generación, una joya atemporal. No probarlo por lo menos un pecado para cualquier hardcore gamer.
  2. Jun 21, 2014
    I almost feel ashamed that I am just now playing this game. This is a masterpiece and it's been a long time since I really felt challenged in a game. The environments are amazing with a hopeless feeling to them. There is so much to do and so many different ways to play this game that you can keep coming back to this game over and over. There are times when I get frustrated with this game but it's usually because I try to rush a part and pay for it with my souls.

The game requires patience (which many people lack these days) but it really does require skill as well. If you want a challenge, try this game out. You will not be disappointed.
  3. Jun 20, 2014
    A true masterpiece. The atmosphere here is just unbelievable. The sense of loneliness and despair follows your every step on this dangerous journey. The game has some interesting (some of them flawed though) mechanics and an unsurpassed combat system. Every PS3 owner should at least try this exclusive.
  4. tkc
    May 27, 2014
    The best game from souls series for me. It just felt perfect. You will die a lot, you're gonna enjoy it, and in the end get rewarded for it. This game alone is a reason to own PS3, even with DaS1 and DaS2 out.
  5. May 1, 2014
    Been a hardcore gamer for 30 years and I gotta say this series is like no other I've played. Growing up on games with 3 lives and no continues or clues (or internet), it certainly is not nearly as hard as people say, but it is difficult in it's own special way. If you let it it will suck you in and hold on like very few games can. Too many games focus on story and hand-holding. This one puts gameplay and atmosphere front and center, just like the good ol' days. I wish I was playing it right now. Expand
  6. Apr 17, 2014
    One of the most brutal, dark, mature, unique rpgs to ever come out. A beautiful, dark fantasy. Demon's Souls brought the difficulty back to games at a time when handholding had become the norm. It's safe to say that Demon's Souls is the most challenging game I have ever played. I've tried many times to complete the game but to no avail...and I don't think I ever will. This is a game that requires devout patience, time, and effort. The more you explore the world, the more you will see how much thought was put into this game. After watching a few playthroughs of the game being beaten, I have complete respect for the game. While brutally challenging, the game is always fair, and if a mistake is done, it is the player's fault. A near perfect game that is hard to find fault with. Sometimes the game becomes more of a chore to play than fun though because of the respawning of enemies and lack of checkpoints in between. This is definitely not a game you can relax to. The moment you stop paying attention is the moment you die and have to start the area all over again. This is a tense game where you have to be very calculated and aware. On the other hand, there isn't a game like it in this modern age of gaming. In that sense, its a game that will have you coming back for more and more after countless defeats wanting to finally beat it. The menus are a bit bland and unappealing to look at, but the game has a certain charm that grows on you as if the developers purposely made the menus that way. All in all, Demon Souls is one of the best thought out games of the PS3 generation, and your enjoyment will depend on how much of a beating you can handle. Expand
  7. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is really weird at first with the super derpy, greasy character creation but afterwards it proves to be an amazing game with great scenery, unique looking monsters, and really cool equipment. This game has a different feel about it in comparison to both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, it just feels fun and interesting throughout the entire game. Now the PvE is really nice and the NG+ difficulty is good too but, the PvP can be very one sided when it comes to fight a mage with tons of buffs that can just one-shot you or a cleric with mountains of regeneration flipping around with a great axe constantly hitting you without a chance of you winning, but other then that the PvP is pretty fun. Expand
  8. Apr 7, 2014
    Welcome back to the eighties? Demon's Souls is a definite return to the challenging aspects of video games which was quite common among the Nintendo Entertainment System. The whole "trial and error" game-play is where Demon's Souls stands out in comparison to the majority of current video games. While there is a noticeable lack of content based on role-playing game standards, there's still a lot to do and a lot to replay due to the revolutionary online and the ability to create different builds to play throughout the game over and over again. Expand
  9. Apr 6, 2014
    Game is toooooo easy 13/22 bossed done, and have not died more than once per each boss :)

Awesome game still a classic, just seems a little too easy for me :)
  10. Apr 1, 2014
    The game is almost 5 years old, and people are still playing and talking about it. This instantly says something about the game. I bought the game simply because of the hype surrounding it, and because I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls. At first, I didn't like it nearly as much as its spiritual successor, but after a few hours, it really started to grow on me. Before I knew it, I was 50 hours in, and still having a ball with just PvE. The game does show it's age with the somewhat clunky combat and below average character models, but it will intrigue fans of Dark Souls greatly. In all honesty, I prefer the single player aspect of this game over that of Dark Souls. It's atmosphere and intense fights are leagues above its predecessor.
    Pros: - Boss fights (Each boss in the game is incredibly intense, with fair but challenging AI and movesets)
    - Exploration (Due to the 'levels' rather than open-world, players are more willing to explore the dark world of Demon's Souls, and are rewarded greatly for doing so)
    - Story (The story is quite deep and intriguing, and I found myself having troubles putting down the controller to simply know what would happen next)
    - Leveling system (It's well-balanced, and grinding is not necessary to make a viable character)
    Cons: - Combat (While more than usable, the combat system is not as quick and varied as many modern gamers would expect)
    Overall, the game is one of the best I've ever played. The deep story and role-playing, intense boss fights, and incredible sense of exploration show the masterful quality of the game. Perhaps the best part of it is the sense of satisfaction after beating a tremendous boss. From Software has created a masterpiece, and continues to do so with the Dark Souls series. If you are a fan of Dark Souls, or want a refreshing experience, pick up this 5 year old game which blows so many others out of the water.
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    I give this game a 9.5.... I have had this game since 2010 but never reviewed the game, now with Dark Souls 2 out.
    Demon Souls is set up let a mega man game. You have 5 different areas you can explore, within these 5 different areas are different areas but same world... The atmosphere of this game is one of the best I have seen in a very long time ( Especially the tower of latria) and
    although there isn't much music in the game the soundtrack is very good which mostly is from fighting a boss. Controls are really good and so is the gameplay itself... If you die you are forced to play the game with half of health, until you beat a boss or consume an item that brings you back to human form. The online aspects of this game are very well done, this isn't your standard multiplayer online game, this is the type of online game that you play alone, but can be invaded by other players which they can ruin your run to the boss. However there is a duping glitch that many online players used to get all the items, stones to make weapons and what not that kind of ruined the experience for people who didn't use the glitch. The bosses in this game are just extraordinary, there are a multitude of creepy bosses in this game that will get your heart pumping, there is even a boss in this game that you fight another online player, first time that has ever been done in videogames and should be classified as innovation... I suggest you pick the game up even if you have Dark Souls 2, Demon Souls has been my favorite game for a long time now (other than chorno trigger) and Dark Souls 2 is even better, but Demon Souls started it all.. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2014
    There simply aren't any other RPGs out there like this one. It's an absolute masterpiece when it comes to almost every aspect of the game. It is really hard to go back and play a regular hack and slash game after playing Demon's Souls.
  13. Mar 9, 2014
    Challenging and rewarding RPG with a great battle system and atmosphere, altough the nexus system destroys the last a bit. Punishes you for your mistakes and makes sure, you wont make them twice.
  14. Dec 31, 2013
    This is system-seller for Ps3 and one of the best games of this generation. Very deep, very classy and very oldschool: we want more games today like this! :)
    It's a '90s RPG with '10s graphics, so difficult, so "it makes me a psychopath" game, but totally awesome and fresh in today's "more action than RPG" RPG's. :)
    I
    WANT
    MORE!!!
    :D
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    Demon's Souls is not a game that I would recommend for those with little patience and a big temper; however, if those qualities do not apply to the individual then this game is highly enjoyable and very rewarding. The game-play is very well crafted and easy to master. The rpg elements such as leveling, stores, and diverse enemies (with the exclusion of a strong story) are build upon a solid foundation. The reason many are strongly attracted to this game is because of the high difficultly of it. Even the weakest of enemies in this game will kill you regardless of your level. This game promotes caution and rewards those who are persistent in their efforts with greater rewards. This game also has a new game plus mode though it doesn't appear in the main menu (you automatically start again after beating the game). With the plus mode the game's difficulty increases from 100% to 240% and then continues to increase by 40% after each playthrough. This is essentially the COD multiplayer of the rgs, nearly the same thing every time but far more rewarding and satisfying if can endure the everlasting agony of always dying. Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2013
    Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive, so beware, if you're anything like me and you already deeply fell in love with Dark Souls on PC you might end up buying the entire PS3 system exclusively just to play this masterpiece, and that's my only complaint this gem needs to be multiplatform. But is it actually worth it? Absolutely! This is every bit as good as Dark Souls, maybe not as elaborated in some aspects (covenants are not present yet, Nexus hub instead of cleverly connected world..), but in some other aspects it even surpasses it's sequel (better soundtrack, multiplayer stability thanks to dedicated servers instead of p2p). Everything else is on the same level of exquisite quality as Dark Souls beautiful worlds (especially Boletarian Palace and Shrine of Storms), amazing level design, dark atmosphere, epic boss battles (Tower Knight, Old Hero), addictive gameplay and challenging difficulty (even though if you're coming from Dark Souls, this might be mostly a cakewalk.) Souls series is becoming a true legend. 10/10 Expand
  17. Oct 16, 2013
    I've played some difficult games lately, but this is on a whole different level. This is not a negative thing, and I feel like you'd have to play it to understand the depth of this statement It's a beautifully crafted game that demands your undivided attention and forces you to recall gamer skills that you proably haven't used in more than a decade
  18. Sep 19, 2013
    A breath of fresh air for the “non-casual” gamer.
    Nowadays most game developers' target audience is the “casual gamer”.
    The casual gamer is like a normal human being, except incredibly stupid. The casual gamer has the patience and mental capacity of a four-year-old. When presented with a choice, such as two possible paths, and not provided blatant evidence implying the consequences of
    each path in advance, the casual gamer will panic. They will begin to foaming at the mouth, shaking violently, and sobbing. If the casual gamer encounters a challenge and fails, they do not learn from their failure. They will continue trying to employ the same strategy, and failing, until they grow old and die, because the casual gamer lacks the basic human facilities to recognize signals and patterns that are necessary for human beings to exist and function in the world.
    Demon's Souls is not made for the casual gamer. If you're sick and tired of excessive hand holding, objective markers, shallow can't-go-wrong builds, constant cinematics, linearity, typical multiplayer mechanics, and general lack of difficulty, look no further. This is a game made for gamers who can learn from their mistakes and enjoy a challenge. It's also one of the most innovative and unique games ever conceived. It's developers like From Software that keep gaming alive for those of us with brains.
  19. Jul 10, 2013
    The bottom line is that this is an incredibly innovative and well executed game. It's one of my all time favorites. No other game has instilled the sense of fear and trepidation that this one does. The designers made some very smart moves to accomplish this feat. Losing all your souls upon death can be extremely frustrating but it gives you something to play for and forces the player to take a cautious and observant approach (which is definitely necessary to progress). The bosses are superb and truly scary they will trample you in a few seconds if you are not careful. The mulitplayer component was completely unlike anything I had seen before and I loved it.

The combat and level design are also top notch. I would go so far as to say that the combat mechanics in Demon's Souls are better than any other RPG I've played to date. Most RPG's kind of dumb this down or gloss over it but From Software really put effort into making a realistic and intelligent system this really amps up the intensity and fun factor. The weapons are very varied in terms of attack speeds, combat moves, and damage types. Some are much more effective than others against certain enemies and part of the fun is figuring out an effective strategy for defeating your enemies. Spells and miracles have a similar depth built in.

As stated in many reviews this game is unforgiving and the comparisons to old school Nintendo games are apt (remember that old trail and error approach?). You are never really safe in this game unless you are in the Nexus which kind of feels like home after awhile. You need to adapt your play style often but you can succeed with a patient and methodical approach. I will say that the game is MUCH more obtuse than what most people are used to. The world tendencies and weapons upgrades are extremely confusing and almost no explanation is offered up (perhaps because they are not necessary to complete the game). Obviously a game like this will turn some people off but it is extremely rewarding for those who invest the time to discover it's charms.
  20. Jun 15, 2013
    A fantastic game capable of capturing the middle age's atmosphere like none other. It is brutal and it has its shortcomings (bad camera, a few cheap deaths) but it's overall a great experience, thanks also to an innovative and smart on line gaming system. A must have.
  21. Apr 29, 2013
    I've played many great games during the last twenty years, and Demon's Souls is one of the best.
    I wish I had come to it earlier, but it's reputation for being brutally hard kept me away.Fear not.
    Sling a spell, discover a ring or two in the first level, keep your shield up, and patiently persevere,
    and you WILL succeed. And then, slowly but surely an unforgettable, incredible gaming
    experience
    will open up to you. One that contains beautiful, INGENIOUS level designs; an arsenal of weapons
    and spells; REALLY fun, strategic combat; and hair-raising danger and suspense.Don't miss out (like
    I almost did) on this amazing achievement.
  22. Apr 22, 2013
    Many complain about this games difficulty but it really comes down skill and wits. You can't just run into a battle swinging your sword expecting to do well. You actually have to think about your strategy in the fight. You also have to know your style of fighting. If you have great timing, you would be well suited for a regular shield so you can counter attack enemies. If timing isn't your forte, then you can use a Great Shield for increased defense but no counter ability. Same goes for the weapons. You need to recognize your enemies attacks and either block or dodge accordingly. This game is not that hard if you use your brain and practice. You have to have good stamina management, and be aware of your surroundings so if you are fighting, you know where you can back up and not fall off a cliff. If you think this game is too hard, you just aren't trying hard enough, or you just aren't as good as you thought you were at video games. Expand
  23. Apr 8, 2013
    Most negative critics of this game have no patience. They're accustomed to modern games, which allow you to rush through them, mindlessly smashing buttons and spamming healing items. This game requires you to trade blows with your enemy, manually dodge, block, and parry attacks, while waiting for a clear opening before attacking. These people can't handle this game which requires you to observe your enemy's movements and attacks, rather than rushing in to every enemy hammering buttons and repeatedly chugging healing items. If you're dying a lot, and repeating the same part of the game over and over and over again.. it's because you have no patience, and you are not putting forth any effort to learn from your mistakes.

Regarding the story: This game has a clear story so long as you talk to NPCs, read item descriptions, and realize the link between bosses and the storyline provided by NPCs and cutscenes.

Regarding the multiplayer aspect: Players cannot invade your game at any time and kill you. Very specific requirements must be met. First of all, any area in which you have defeated the boss, players can never invade you in that area. Second, you must be in Human form. You spend the majority of the game in Soul form, which means for the majority of the game, other players cannot invade your game.

In regards to the lack of checkpoints/save points: As you explore each level, you unlock shortcuts (such as opening a gate, or activating an elevator), allowing you to skip most of the level, should you need to return to the level again. You don't need a checkpoint when you can skip most of the level.

Now for some complaints of my own:

Lack of stat explanation in relation to equipment. It is not intuitive, not to mention the seemingly arbitrary icons used for stats.

After defeating a boss or recovering your souls, large text and graphics are overlayed on the screen, while the game is still live. This is terrible design for any game.

FPS drops in specific parts of the game.
  24. Mar 4, 2013
    Do you remember the old gaming times with NES? games such as Castlevania and Super Mario Bros. They were hard as f##k and took dozens of attempts to even get to the end boss. But still they were enjoyable and really fun to play. Demon's souls is like a 3D HD child of those games. It's hard, it's unforgiving and holy s##t is it fun to play! I won't spoil the little there is to an story, but let's just say that you are a brave hero who travels the lands to fight evil. And 95% of the time that evil kicks your ass and cleans his ass with whats left of your body and then throws it to the demon dogs to play with... more or less. Demon's souls is a western style Japanese role playing game with a difficult, but rewarding combat and great sense of exploration. You level up your hero and get new equipment and kill lots of monsters and so on. This games dark themes make sure that you never feel safe and every single enemy might just be your doom. Words can't explain the awesomeness of this game, so let me just say this: Go buy this game just now! trust me, it's worth it. After about 100 deaths you will be a fearsome killing machine! Expand
  25. Feb 28, 2013
    No matter what words spawn from my mouth, they won't make this game any justice. By now everything has already been said about it, I can only express how much of a masterpiece it is, and how it has redefined the medieval RPG action/adventure genre. It's the game I always yearned for, and it will remain one of the best games not only of this generation but of all time. Probably the thing I love about it the most is how it kind of mixes adventure-hack slash with survival horror, haven't felt so anxious during a game since the early silent hill/resident evil. And the whole thing just kind of spells Lovecraft al over the place, i love it. Expand
  26. Feb 3, 2013
    Superb level design. Great customization.
  27. Jan 29, 2013
    O jogo foi uma descoberta incrível de um sistema muito divertido de se jogar. Indo na contra mão de todos os grandes jogos lançados, a dificuldade é sua maior marca. Me fez gastar muitas e muitas horas de puro prazer até conquistar a platina.
  28. Jan 6, 2013
    What's great about Demon's Souls is that it always gives you a choice of what you'd like to do. There are so many things to do, and the game never forces you to travel down a single linear path. The only downside to the game may be that some enemies are slightly imbalanced, and it is also possible for you to screw up your play-through and be forced to restart. But even after restarting the game twice, I still felt like defeating some of the bosses I'd already killed, just to progress to the very end. It was a fun experience throughout. Expand
  29. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is amazing. I really almost went without buying this game but it was on sale one day and got some pretty good reviews and so I decided to give it a try. Anyway what followed was a week that has gone missing from my life and none of my friend or family knew what happened to me that week. What did happen was I was in the dark dangerous dungeons of demons souls and was fighting for my life. This game was fun, addicting, and beautiful. I loved the setting, the huge bossed, the combat and the online reading different tips, I loved the traps and the experience of going online a reading about how to do or kill or get past something. When I was away from this game I was reading how to do the next part, studying how to overcome an obstacle. This game amazed me even at the very end. There is one thing that does seem kind of ridiculous which is the gem stones, you only get I think 10 times and if you mess up well that is too bad. But that is only for those who want to create a weapon. I loved how it started and had the nexus with all the tips written about, if felt like i was taken truely to another place. I have never felt this much immersion and dedication from or for a game before. As of writing this review the only other games i have given 10s have been braid and uncharted 2, and metal gear solid ps1 Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2012
    Before I continue, I will type a disclaimer...THIS GAME WILL NOT PLEASE EVERYONE! My brother and I both played this game. He enjoys fun, relatively less-challenging games and first person shooters while I enjoy highly-technical fighting and action games. He acknowledged that it was a great game, but put it down permanently after a few hours. I am still playing it with multiple profiles and it has never gotten old. If you are unsure about your game preference, borrow or rent this before buying it, and make sure you beat at least two bosses before passing judgement on it. Now, on to the actual review:

The story is great, not because it is terribly confusing, but because of the subtlety. A mad king awakens the Old One in order to gain the power of the soul arts (magic). As a result, demons spew forth and feast upon men's souls, leaving soulless zombies to attack those who are still sentient, tumbling the world of Boletaria into chaos and providing nourishment for the more powerful demons. The last bastion of humanity (the Nexus) has trapped your soul, preventing you from dying until you help put the Old One back to sleep. While I just summarized the plot in three sentences, the various NPCs you meet continue the story, with convincing voice acting that explains how each of them were affected. Some stories are sad, some terrifying, and none are happy; such is the land of Boletaria. This is a land of horror-fantasy where success looks bleak, enemies always seem to have the advantage in either power or surprise (or both), and boss battles actually force you to stop outside the boss chambers and think to yourself, "Am I really ready for this?"

Any protagonist braving the dangers of Boletaria needs to have a ridiculous amount of determination, and the gameplay reflects that. You will die. A lot. And you will repeat things after you die. You also lose all your souls, which are both currency and XP points in this game (you can either use them to buy items or use them to level up). Lost souls are deposited in a bloodstain at the location of your most recent death, and touching it gives them all back to you. Death before touching it, however, causes it disappear forever, along with all your souls! While this may sounds tedious, it was my experience that it was a great provider of accomplishment. Every time you die, you learn something new about the world you are in, such as, "There's a zombie in the shadows over there!" or "That enemy is waaaay too powerful!" On the next playthrough, you adjust. In short, while there is a lot of repeat, areas you have traversed multiple times prove virtually no challenge after a few attempts, provided you are actually playing the game the way it is meant to be played, and not expecting to blast through the enemies like in most games currently on the market.

This in and of itself would make for a great game, but the multiplayer makes it almost perfect. Taking a completely innovative approach, you join a multiverse of other human players in the world of Boletaria. Each game is treated as a parallel universe, meaning that each player is the one and only PC in their version of Boletaria, but there are ways to connect to the other worlds out there. Even in normal play, ghostly apparitions of real players on the PSN can be seen in your game, going through their own actions, completely oblivious of your observation. Deaths of other players leave spectral bloodstains in your world, where you can touch them to see a replay of the last ten seconds before their death (which can warn savvy players of what lies ahead). Players can write messages on the ground that can be read by all people online, giving hints or misleading other players. And, of course, you can temporarily join another player as either friend or foe, helping them defeat a boss demon or trying to murder them for their souls and a chance at getting your living body back.

This has become a rather lengthy review, and it is time to cut it off. The reason I ramble on is because this game is really a shining jewel amongst PS3 games. It is just a pity that it is not accessible to everyone, but to make it easier would detract greatly from the game. What I have described is only a fraction of what Demon's Souls has to offer, so if you think it will appeal to you, go rent or buy a copy, take out a few demons, and see if it is your speed.
  31. Nov 18, 2012
    Gameplay - 10/10. Graphics - 10/10. Sound - 6.5/10. Overall - 8.8/10. It
  32. Nov 15, 2012
    Though there are a lot of glitches in the game, you will spend plentyof hours with your friends and others going throught the levels and getting the best weapons. Graphics are perfect for this game and gameplay is also good. A nice take on a RPG.
  33. Nov 12, 2012
    Best game of this generation by a mile !!!! When the gameplay is this good and game design so intuitive nothing else matters. nothing comes close to this !!! this title was flawless imo !! even better than the sequel best games this gen imo 1) Demon souls 2)Mgs :Guns of the patriots 3)Xcom 4)Arkham city 5)Bayonetta 6)kill zone 2 7)Dark souls 8)Vanquish 9)Dead space 10) zero escape

if you have alot in common with me for fave games and havent played DS PLZ GET UP GRAB YOUR WALLET AND GO!!
  34. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is definitely not for everyone. It's hard, it's unforgiving but i liked it very much ! I have finished it more than 3 times ! One of my best ps3 game !
  35. Oct 13, 2012
    It is one of the best action rpg games ever made but didn't need to be that unforgiving it doesn't make it better but that's just me. Having said that it's a great and immersive game which must be played by all hardcore gamers. Especially them.
  36. Aug 24, 2012
    this game is not bad i bought this game sat down 1 hour into game it got hard i mean confusing the no like save data or check point really odd none the less i die start back start really headache but none the less it good game prove to be more challenging then i expect gave it 10 cause it got good graphic and fighting in it
  37. Aug 15, 2012
    A master piece for its time, a great game for any RPG fan..
    Beautiful,Brutal, fast paced, many different ways to play, I could sing this games praises all day..
    Unfortunately with shutting down of the servers this game has lost a lot of what makes it fantastic, although it can all be found in dark souls now..
    If you've played dark souls and enjoyed it, I'd highly recommend coming back
    to this for a solo play through or 2.. Expand
  38. Aug 6, 2012
    I loved demon souls but I would not recommend it to everyone. It has become such a controversial game recieving every single review score from 0 -10 by different people. Whether or not you like it depends on your taste. It annoys me when I read reviews of people claiming the game is too difficult and so it's crap. If difficulty isnt your thing then this game isnt for you and thats fine. I have no interest in sports games but I dont go around posting on websites that fifa is crap, Its just not my kind of game. Now i'm not saying the game is perfect, it has some flaws like occasional framerate drops and the occasional unfair death which is annoying but overall I found it very enjoyable. The sense of accomplishment when you defeat a tough boss or complete a tough area is incomparable really, Also I think the game for the most part is fair, I played it offline the whole way through with no online help or guide and I didn't ''die hundreds of times'' like so many people claim they did nor did I ''spend hours grinding'' It was VERY hard and I think I died about 40 or 50 times throughout the course of the game. People also complain about getting set so far back when you die and losing all of your souls but that is vital to the game experience in my opinion because it gives you something to lose! it had a DONT DIE OR ELSE!! kind of feel to it. Thus I would baby-step my way through certain areas scanning everything and shield up at all times with my heart in my mouth afraid to die. It made the game so intense. I wouldn't be nearly as careful or take as long if The punishment was to restart back 10 seconds to the nearest checkpoint. That pretty much summed up the game for me, intense and enjoyable. It does suck when you die but you do learn. You realise right i may pay closer attention to traps triggered by such and such or OK that guy was very well hidden I should lure him out with arrow shots so he does
    not have a vantage point advantage over me etc etc. There,s way more examples but its strategic and that.s the point. In short the game is not for everyone like I said earlier but if you would like an intense addictive game that is rewarding and enjoyable demon souls is well worth your time. Possibly my favourite game on ps3.
  39. Aug 1, 2012
    Probably the best game I've played this generation.
    Difficult and addictive, does not just keep playing until you finish the game, but until you get the platinum!
  40. Jul 7, 2012
    I haven't played a game that really challenged nor rewarded me in awhile then Demon's Souls. This game is excellent. Tough levels with "bosses" that really are as advertised. If you grew up playing games like Mega Man or any other similar old school games you will thoroughly enjoy Demon's Souls.
  41. Jun 11, 2012
    Was never a tale of such lore was Demon's Souls. A game so difficult your character laid crumpled, broken and very much dead in the original cover art. Yet was it really that difficult? Neigh, only momentarily frustrating at best. Demon's Souls was a game that never should have happened; a miraculous moment when everything in the From Software headquarters was in precisely the wrong place to prevent its coming. It wasn't a sequel, it wasn't targeting a particularly well known demographic and it was, for all intents and purposes, exactly the sort of thing you do not want to do in terms of business. The rest, as they say, is history. Demon's Souls has become a phenomenally successful Playstation title, one that lead gamers to the darker side of gaming where health was neither copious or advised and games were never forgiving. Demon's Souls is just brilliant. Even when the initial fear to round a corner starts to wane as you begin to memorise near every minute detail of the environments there is that unrelenting reminder that you are always only one mistake from death and a tedious journey to a checkpoint unknown. This game doesn't play nice, it's designed to oppress you and it's by beating it over and over again that the player will find its true value. Making this game your **** is exactly what makes it so damn fun. Expand
  42. Jun 9, 2012
    Do you have what it takes to be a Demon's Souls player? When you first grasp this game in your hand, with that ghostly knight gracing the cover, you should almost hear the sound of horns being played in a majestic roar while all customers and clerks in the store gaze at you from behind cover. Demon's Souls is a video game in every true sense of the definition, a throwback to the days of unforgiving NES titles, wrapped in an RPG so detailed its depth will burrow itself into your soul and never let go. So many words could describe this game, and no review could ever say them all, so understand this first and foremost, Demon's Souls is something you absolutely must discover the beauty of all on your own. No one can ever explain to you exactly what it's like and just what to expect, other than it's an RPG, it's knights and castles, and you WILL DIE. LOTS. I hope to shed some light unto your soul though so heed this if you will. The game is a masterpiece of many many things ranging from complexity to balance to absolute infuriating fairness. The game is punishing to the core, but even more so rewarding. The game seems impossible but is only as impossible as you try and make it. We begin by learning of The Old One, an awoken Demon that must be put to rest along with many other demons. That is about as deep as the plot goes, for this game is not story based at all. This was a turn off for me early on but I soon discovered the game was never about story, but about pure thick gameplay and strategy. As mentioned above one cannot justify this game in few words so I am already moving on from what the game is about to try and tell you about the games core. Like most RPGs you will create a character and be sent on a journey, a true journey, one that will test your limits as a gamer. The Elder Scrolls this is not. When you begin, you are facing a long hull of monsters, abominations, soldiers, and most frightening of all, Demons. Every enemy you face is a stand off and you will not simply mow them down like a hero. No sir, you will time, block, strike wisely, carefully, and never become greedy or you will die, guarantee it. Death in this game is not simply restarting a checkpoint, death in this game is a punishment, and always seems to be shouting "now what did we learn?" in your face. Tons of progress can be shattered with each careless attack or misjudged footing and no one will pity you. The game is so hardcore you cant even pause it, the start button brings up items and stats with gameplay still in full motion. With each kill you collect souls, souls are your currency for everything. Leveling, buying, repairing, ect. When your killed your souls return to zero, however you do have one chance to recollect them if you can return to where you died and pick them up, but die again and your souls are gone forever. This will happen a lot. You then respawn at the start of an area, sometimes what seems an eternity away from where you died. This is where the game proves itself. Sure you will want to destroy your controller, but you will always want to journey again and do right this time. Its quite special really. The game is so balanced, so fair, and death is so your fault that you cannot blame the game for your mistake, and you always learn what you did wrong. The game features short cuts if you can figure them out, as well as hints via other players online who can write limited messages on floors for others to read. They even appear in and out as ghostly figures walking the halls with you, its great. The atmosphere is top notch, the graphics great, sound is superb and haunting. Everything is just awesome. I want to say so much more but cant, and I urge you to at least try the game. When I first began, I honestly did not enjoy it. I found it dull, aimless, and felt buyers remorse. But thank God I was able to eventually see what the game was truly offering, and now the game hardly ever leaves my mind. I have played for over a year and I still cannot play without learning at least one new thing every single time, the game is that deep in strategy and consequence. With everything I have written, I have barely scratched the surface of why this game is great. I didn't mention World Tendancy, The Nexus Or Human form Soul form, I didn't mention how amazing boss fights were, I didn't mention how you will sweat and shake in battle even with often routine enemies, I didn't mention the infinite times you can play the game over, and I didn't mention how terrifying every new step is to you. You will fear death in this game, you will watch your back and wear thin the L1 button which is your shield, and you will throw your hands in the air when a Demon boss falls at your feet in defeat. This game is special and worth every penny which is a rarity in itself with today's gaming. Get this game and prepare for the RPG journey you always wanted, learn to embrace death, and prove you got some soul in you. Expand
  43. May 30, 2012
    I don't think of myself as a hardcore gamer but I absolutely loved this game. The best part of the game is being able to play with others and, not having to deal with half wits screeching stupid comments because guests are muted. It is, so far, without any doubt my most beloved PS3 game. I enjoyed it more than Dark Souls, as well. Although I look forward to a sequel from either Demon or Dark Souls because the implementation of multiplayer is brilliant! Expand
  44. Apr 5, 2012
    This game didn't look appealing to me at all when it first came out despite hearing rave reviews about it. Recently my friend made me start playing it and at first it was really hard and really frustrating but after you get past the first few bosses and level your character this game is a blast. You still die a crap ton but the game's beauty and fighting mechanics just amazed me time after time again. Think of all the dying as a teaching mechanism for getting really good at it. It's pretty hard to say that about very many other games. One of the most satisfying videogame play throughs I've ever experienced. Expand
  45. Apr 1, 2012
    Demon's Souls is a soul crushing game. The dark world adds significantly to the stiff difficulty of the game and the unique online play never breaks the lonely atmosphere. It is seeped in old fashioned level design and being sent back to the start of a stage can be frustrating. The balance of your arsenal is off as magic can be too useful and armor is useless but the swordplay well made. This game is certainly not for everyone, but anyone willing to put up with its unforgiving nature will find an experience like no other. Expand
  46. Mar 29, 2012
    After Demon's Souls, this game is a must have for all players who need a different kind of challenge. Personally, I found this game easier than its predecessor (in general), but more and more fun!
    In one word, this game is AWESOME!
  47. Mar 18, 2012
    demon's souls is a perfect combination of challenge, atmosphere, and fun. best integration of multiplayer in a game of this style yet! awesome, unique music, and a blast to try out new characters and builds.
  48. Mar 10, 2012
    Every action you take has consequence(s). Every mistake you make in Demon's Souls is your own. I've played this game start to finish several times. I am yet to die from clipping, clunky controls, poor hit detection or even ambiguous level design. Gameplay is perfect, Lore is enthralling. From Software needs to start a donations page.
  49. Mar 3, 2012
    I grew up playing those hard as hell games from the 80'swhere save points and re-generating health would have been laughed at but I preserved and the reward was triumphant when defeating some of those insurmountable challenges (Dr. Wily from the early Rockman/Megaman series) being one of my arch video game nemeses. Somewhere between then and now gamers got mollycoddled and hand held and I forgot what a true game challenge was, and that to finally finish a game was a celebration. Now days I just play to finish the dam thing not for the challenge. Well enter Demon's Souls. What a surprise to find a game in this day and age that mimics the classics of yesteryear. Initially, my older self was a bit reprehensive about the many deaths, returning to beginning of levels and the repetition but then the kid in me joyously reminded me that this is how it used to be. Demon's Souls by todayâ Expand
  50. Feb 20, 2012
    BEST RPG game ever!, sooooo underrated too, i mean how the **** can an AMAZING game like this get a 7 or 8 while other **** games like Skyirm get 8 and 9, believe me.. you MUST buy this game.. Its so much fun, the story is also AMAZING! You will really like this game, I highly recommend this game to everyone with a PS3
  51. Feb 20, 2012
    Demon Souls is the BEST RPG game ever!, its really underrated too, i mean how can an AMAZING game like this get a 7 or 8 while other **** games like Skyirm get 8 and 9, believe me.. you MUST buy this game.. Its really fun, the story is also AMAZING! You will really like this game, I highly recommend this game to everyone with a PS3
  52. Feb 18, 2012
    Demon's Souls is a true innovative game. Where death normally seems formidable, DS has a new kind of definition: death builds up experience. The more you die, the better you will learn to survive. The no-saving open world is also a very original concept in a single-player game. Just like an MMORPG, DS brings in online multiplayer in surprising ways such as changing difficulties, clues left by other players and invading others' worlds. Overall, my only complaint is the lack of items : this may be why it's fun though without looting weapons and armors everywhere and stick to a limited supply for better experience. Expand
  53. Feb 15, 2012
    So, you'll die a lot in this game. You'll be really challenged, maybe even frustrated and there is not much of a story to speak of. But... if you are looking for something gratifying and a real sense of accomplishment, this is singularly alone, barring the spiritual successor to this game, Dark Souls. Demon's Souls will not hold your hand, in fact it will throw you to the wolves... A LOT. And unlike a lot of other modern games pretending that your previous death didn't happen and sending you back only a few minutes earlier to to your previous auto-save, death is a big part of the game and it matters if you die, the game doesn't pretend you didn't die, Demon's Souls wants you to learn from your mistake by sending you back to the beginning of the level. The sense of accomplishing something difficult is the crux of this game, and if that is something you're interested in and you've overlooked this game, get this game now; there are very few games out there as good and gratifying as Demon's Souls. Expand
  54. Feb 7, 2012
    Demon's souls is the best game I have played on the PS3 yet, in February 2012. The 3rd person gameplay with accurate controls, the simple yet effective user interface, lots of items and gear with upgrading possibilities, stat bonus/resistance system and the true RPG way of allowing you to build your character in any way you want make this game truly a joy to play. Truly a MUST BUY.
  55. Feb 3, 2012
    I just want to leave a rating but Metacritic is retarded about letting its users do so and does not allow them the ability to see their past ratings unless they leave a review.
  56. Dec 7, 2011
    Demon's Souls alone would be a good reason to buy a PS3. Even if there weren't others. It's not difficult, it just rewards patience and learning. Start your journey, you'll never forget it.
  57. Dec 6, 2011
    This game took me a while to get into. The combat seemed strange at first. Even took me a while to appreciate the graphics. I gave this game special treatment and decided to commit myself and play through this game to see what all the hype was about. Boy am I thankful I did. While playing this game I finally understood why every one loves the combat in this game. The combat has weight! You truly feel in control of your character, and must very intently involve yourself in the combat. If you are killed, it is because you were not paying attention, or simply got too excited, or maybe your gear is not up to par. No need for a story here. You are given a glimpse of what the story is about but even that quickly fades away as you create your own story while you battle monsters and demons in a far away place. It is easy for me to simply play for hours and feel that I am in that 'far away' place. The graphics did have to grow on me but i soon came to appreciate those as well. 9-10 Expand
  58. Nov 17, 2011
    You are going to suffer in this game. Begging the monsters to give you a break while you roll away trying to reach safely. You'll curse and throw your controller at the screen too! But once you beat the game all your suffering and despair will be lifted. For the first time in your life you will feel like you actually accomplished something. Your teachers at school who said you'd never amount to anything will be red faced when you tell them you finished this game. This ain't your mom's dungeon crawler. Expand
  59. Nov 17, 2011
    Right out of the gate I'm going to tell you that you should buy demon's souls, it is a great game if one known for its difficulty, everything this game does is as solid as it could be whilst you WILL die alot when playing it the deaths are never frustrating and you never feel cheated by a mechanic. The note leaving world invading system that is Online play in demons souls is as good as if playing offline and the defferent environments ingame are as atmospheric and well realised as a gamer could wish for with new game + replayability on offer and addictively rewarding combat with the different enemies you encounter demon's souls is surely a great game. The only dowsides I can find here is the need to grind for some of the rarer ingame items which is, well a grind to be honest. Expand
  60. Nov 15, 2011
    Truly an amazing experience that fans of rpg games and action games will love. In fact this is a game I recommend every one to try. Its deep with a long adventure tons of story not to mention the amazing on-line system that makes this simple looking game turn in to a MMO. Seriously you will feel that this game is a MMO after you start playing it on-line. It really takes the experience to a whole new level. I HIGHLY recommend this game to every one. If i could give this game a 11 I would. Expand
  61. Nov 14, 2011
    first, i write this after playing dark souls, if not, my score will be of 10. i bought this game 2 years ago because i heard about his difficult and because i love action rpg games, when i playend i was very surprised, i bought this game only for culture and i finished playing it for hundred of hours. the game system is very simple but awesome hard to control perfectly, the worlds and the bosses, i love everyone of them and when you think that finally you finish it, you start the DS+, and you keep playing.... AWESOME GAME. sorry for my english and thanks. Expand
  62. Nov 13, 2011
    I bought this game way back when, drawn in by the promise of a harder-than-normal experience to remind me of the punishment I used to put myself through back in the mid-to-late 80, before games started to hold your hand and show you what to do. I was not prepared for this!

After attempting the first level several times over, I am sad to say I gave up, and went back to other, lighter
    experiences. Then Dark Souls came out - I was hooked, and decided before I progressed too far into that game I'd give Demon's Souls another go and what do you know - I'm now hooked on that!

The first area acts as a tutorial of sorts (not that it prepares you for the challenge ahead), then you die for the first time of many. Dumped in The Nexus, a hub world from which you can access the other worlds, you must move on and seek out... Demon's souls.

Level one finally completed, you are now able to use said souls to level up your character in typical RPG fashion. The only problem is every time you die you lose all the juicy souls you just spend hours collecting. You can get them back if you can make it back to the place of your death, but if you die on the way there, you leave a new bloodstain that wipes out the previous one.

Having finally, after a couple of days of dying, defeated the first boss, I went to move on to the next area beyond him. It was then that I realised I'd spent so long, and died so frequently, in the first area, that a map of it had been burned to my mind, and this new area was all the more alien and foreboding for it.

I can't really put in words (as you've probably noticed) just why this game is so great. But it is. The way I'm going, this game is likely to last a number of years!
  63. Nov 8, 2011
    A real challenge. Very dark fantasy setting. Refreshing to not have your hand held the whole time while playing. So many possibilities to explore, hidden secrets everywhere from items to npc interactions. Just beat dark souls and thought I would try demons souls again for a comparison, still loving it, cant wait for the next 'souls' game.
  64. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is great in all it's aspects, and if you are a game veteran this is a game you want to dig yourself into. Be aware though that this game require you to actually get involved and figure out how mecahnism and encounters work. THIS IS HARD. If you are young of age, or simply have not played much in your life, STAY AWAY, this is not for you!

Once that is said, no game ever has made
    you feel so great at the end like this one. In other games your just good, in this game you become a GOD. Expand
  65. Oct 24, 2011
    BRILLIANT! NO OTHER WORDS NEEDED! Visuals are fantastic and well the gameplay, well it may seem pretty tedious when you die but it compels you to try again and again until you prevail. This game beats the hell out of Oblivion.
  66. Oct 24, 2011
    A truly must try out master piece of a game. another must experience game. try it you will not regret This is the Must Have Title for the Playstation 3. Its hard, but never have I experienced a game with so much reward to the player for putting the time and Effort into a game.
  67. Oct 17, 2011
    Demon's souls is highly recommended for hardcore gamers and people that don't get frustrated so easily. This game is addictive as hell. Give it a try and actually you'll see that it isn't a really difficult game. You need to learn or figure out how to approach your enemies. Unique multiplayer experiece gives you a lot a hints. So, if you get kill many times isn't because of cheap enemies, it's because you shouldn't be there so early in the game... or because you really suck. Of course you'll die a lot. Be patient, careful and you'll enjoy it. It's an amazing game. Expand
  68. Oct 11, 2011
    Excellent game, if your looking for a challenge, this game is for you. You will die... over and over again but its a learning experience and adds to the realism of what life for your character would be like if the game was real life. I wrote up a review for this before and I have yet to see it be posted. If you were on the fence when it came out, pick it up now, it's worth $20 for sure. One of my favorite RPGs (if not my overall favorite) and just a great game overall. It was a nice surprise and I can't wait to pick up the sequel once I get some free time. Expand
  69. Oct 3, 2011
    Ah, Demon's Souls...you magnificent bastard.

Misunderstood, even by those that love it...it doesn't lack a story..YOU are the story.
    It's the story of your journey, your failures, your successes, and any information regarding over arching world events are only relevant as far as your point of view allows, because my story will be different than yours, which will be different from
    others, just as uniquely.

This game hits the emotional spectrum on every level...devastation, frustration, enlightment, satisfaction, elation.
    It doesn't achieve that by being "too hard" or "un-fair".
    The game is perfectly fair, and yes, very challenging, but that's what makes it so great.
    If you die, it was because you weren't good enough, and yes, that is your fault, and yes there are penalties.
    The pay-off is, if you succeed, it is entirely because of your skill..you aren't going to button mash to victory here, or luck your way through a boss fight.
    That type of satisfaction is rare in gaming today where you fully expect to beat the game, no matter your skill level...a fact that is not at all guaranteed in this game.

If you are looking for a more casual experience, this game probably isn't going to be your cup of tea.
    The good news is, that most games on the market will cater to you, and despite some sneering in some of these reviews, there is nothing wrong with that.

Most game experiences are like winning a million bucks in the lottery.
    Demon's Souls is like working hard, through highs and lows to become a millionaire.
    Both of those are awesome, though the satisfaction you will receive from the second method is far beyond the first...but you'll have to put in the effort.

If you just want to blaze through like a bad-ass with little chance of failure, don't try this game.
    If you want a prolonged struggle with a game that's going to make you grab it by the throat and force it to it's knees..try it out!
  70. Sep 30, 2011
    This game got me good, only game ive ever properly imported. The sheer punishment just compels you to try harder and the atmosphere has you on constant guard because anything and everything can spell your doom. The story is good too but you have to interact with the world to get the full gist of it so its not in your face. Any PS3 owner should have this game in their collection.
  71. Sep 28, 2011
    I was very skeptical of this game at first, but this is one the most immersive experiences and the most realistic combat and genuine challenge I have ever found in an RPG. For those who know Phantasy Star Online, it actually play a lot like the first one, but it ditsches the grinding and the randomness for even more skill-based gameplay and exploration. A true gem.
  72. Sep 26, 2011
    At a time in the gaming industry when so many games hold your hand throughout the whole experience with little to no risk involved, games like Demon's Souls are a breath of fresh air. I have to give the devs a lot of credit here for really nailing the difficulty curve to make it as hard as it can be without making it impossible or feel like you died because of stupid game design. This game just isn't that frustrating to me compared to other difficult games because it's so well done. I'm no beginner when it comes to difficult games. My favorites include the Prinny series, and old school games like Kid Icarus that were just brutal at the time, but part of that was some pretty irritating mechanics like simple jumping or not seeing what is coming. This is probably the first time I felt like every death was entirely dependent on my skill instead of dying to bad mechanics or stupid game design decisions. My character controlled exactly as I needed him to, but never took over for me when I made a mistake nor saved me from death when I deserved it.

Every single death was productive in helping me get better at the game. It took me a ridiculous amount of hours just to beat the first level, but it was really really fun. It got to the point that every obstacle I overcame was laughably easy going through it the 100th time making the deaths feel much less daunting getting back to where I died last so I could at least recover dropped souls (like a currency from killing something). It's the kind of design that reinforced the feeling that you're always making progress, and that nothing is all that difficult if you give it time and patience.

So to sum it all up, I think it's an incredible game in every way, unless the player prefers games with no death penalty and obstacles that are so easy you can go through entire levels in one try. if you like action RPGs, a little old-school difficulty, and great presentation, you gotta try this game!
  73. Sep 12, 2011
    First I would like to say to everybody that had 8 hours to play this game at a time and managed to beat it . Congratulations. It doesn't mean you're skilled it means you are patient and also semi-retarded. This game is only hard because of the complete lack of a checkpoint system. If most games lacked a checkpoint system guess what? they'd be pretty difficult. This game is the example of poor game design.The game would be easy if it wasn't for that. So I can't stand it when people claim they are skilled. Patience is not a skill. If you have 100 hours to give to this game than by all means do it. I don't play games for a sense of accomplishment because frankly, that's kind of depressing. I play games to have fun and this game was not. That is all. Expand
  74. Aug 16, 2011
    this game is all about the combat for me. unlike the inexplicable haters in here I played through this game with 4 different characters a total of 6 times. Obviously I really enjoyed it. I'm fairly certain I put more time into this game then nearly all my other game time combined. It's absurd, but I truly enjoyed it.

What I enjoyed was how visceral and immediate the combat felt. I loved
    the real feeling of terror and panic when another player invaded my game and I scrambled to prepare myself. I loved how tight the controls feel. it is not complex combo based combat like Bayonetta or DMC at all (which I also love). It's very simple, and clean. The only thing this game requires of you is patience. Right hand attack & heavy attack [R1 & R2]. Left hand guard and attack [L1 & L2]. If you are strong enough all weapons and shields may be single or double handed for faster/stronger attacks. Perhaps most importantly, there is a very handy dodge-roll. There are two weapon/equip [ie: magic,miracle] slots for each hand. The story is, you are alone, in a demon infested land. your job is to not die. Your other job is to kill all the f***ing demons. the entire story is told in the intro and opening sequences of the game. There are a handful of NPCs in the Hub area and in the world, who are mostly support players like blacksmith, soul/level-up lady, spell/miracle teachers, and another few who factor into the world nicely. If you need conversation trees in your RPG's then this game may not by for you. What I find most RPG about it is the feeling of desolation. How else would it feel to be a lone knight/priest/magician/soldier/heavy/etc.. fighting your way into, and through a land infested with demons and a thick, terrible grey fog? Playing it alone, maybe with headphones, or not, in a dimly lit room is very much a survival horror action adventure experience. I think they got it exactly right. Haters gon hate.

it's true that the inventory management can be labor intensive. but you can also just wing it and see how far you get. Spells are helpful. Every enemy requires caution. There is not a single enemy, from the very first demon-zombie dudes you learn to use your shield, maybe reduce your armor and roll out of harms way. I think this is a tight, challenging game within a huge, awe inspiring world. They tell a far better, more visceral story with just the atmosphere and the gameplay than any other console "RPG" this generation in my humble, possibly hyperbolic opinion. in terms of personal standings. This game and Uncharted 2 are currently the reigning kings of this generation for me. So bring on UC3 and Dark Souls baby. gonna be a busy fall/winter season. better not meet any girls!
  75. Aug 14, 2011
    I am having a really hard time coming up with a really great introduction so Im just going to be blunt. Demon's Souls is a game that does not hold anybody's hand at any point. This is a difficult game but it is far from impossible. I am reading a lot of reviews where people say they cannot stand the frustration of the game and the fact that they cannot enjoy the experience because of the difficulty. I suck at hard games. I really do. I only have one Platinum trophy, for Uncharted 2. That is the only game that I have completely on the hardest difficulty. So, agreeing that I suck at hard games, why do I love DS so much? It may have something to do with growing up with video games. My first system was an Atari 2600, and I spent a lot of time in arcades. All games were hard back then! If you died, you started the level over! Anyone that knows what Im talking about can agree with the satisfaction of beating even just one level of Ninja Gaiden......or Contra. Some people dont like challenge, and that is fine. Demon's Souls got a great rating on MC because it is a beast of a game. There isnt anything "broken" in this game, and there is definitely nothing sloppy about it. Yes, your character probably does suck in the beginning....Lord knows mine did! Now my character is walking around town taking creeps out with one swing of the Bone Smasher, baby! This game deserves a 10, yea the story is somewhat lacking in the beginning...and if even if you have no idea what is going on, doesnt that make it all the more creepy? I not only nominate this game as top 5 best on PS3.....but, top 5 best games ever! Expand
  76. Aug 10, 2011
    This game is hard. I will not lie at all about it. I play video games on hard difficulties just for fun, but this game.... This game gives hard a new name. But enough about how hard it is, this game is legit and fun as anything I've played in a while. I played it once, returned it after i got stuck at some point, and once again i just needed to have the unforgiving win or lose gameplay that you cannot find anywhere else. The graphics are fantastic, the game itself has an ungodly amount of facets to it, you can play it over and over and it will still be new to you. Some things aren't explained at all, however, and this leads to confusion. I've found myself looking things up online myriad times. So, bottom line, if you are looking for a game that's cheap, fun, hardcore, difficult, and you have an internet connection, i strong recommend this game. 9 of 10. Expand
  77. Aug 8, 2011
    Fracking AMAZING! It's like King's Field with great combat and amazing graphics.

Also, if you see a women wearing a golden mask show up in the top floor of your Nexus, kill her! She's evil!!
  78. Jul 16, 2011
    One of the better games to come out in a very long time, every little thing in this game is perfect to me. The story itself is simple: you come to a cursed land (for whatever reason, one of the things the NPC says "Whether you're here to fight the demons or here for the power...") and you're tasked to fight off the major demon's in the land to fight off the fog. This would be cheesey IF it were portrayed cheesey. It is not full of itself (like a Final Fantasy game would be) and barely touches the main storyline. It has a dark setting to it, already making you feel weak from the start, therefore giving you the right idea from the start. The combat is very smooth and can be mastered with a little play (I say past 3 levels you should get the hang of it). The combat itself is not extremely hard, all you have to do is just dodge/block and you'll be fine. If you get hit, you will regret being hit (that is all I will say). The leveling system is very good in my opinion, but the only downside to it is that you have to plan on what you're focusing on or you'll screw up your character and not be able to equip certain items (or at least use them the way you want to). If you do screw up your character, the worst part of starting a new character is the creation. It has a very high replay value and I would be ok with just making a new character everyday. The every NPC is unique in their own way. Doing certain things will trigger new dialogue with the NPCs and helps you learn more of the land of Boletaria. When you enter 5-1, come back, and talk with the NPCs, they will share you their thoughts on Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland (the final bosses of the 5 world), explaining how the fog clouded their souls and why they fight. Even some of the item descriptions have captured me, letting me now of it's previous owner/maker. The multiplayer design is absolutely brilliant. After 1-1, you can use three different stones: Blue stone (used when in soul form, allows yourself to be teleported to another persons world (if they accept your soul sign) and assist them, to which beating a boss gives you back your body, given after 1-1), Black stone (used when in another person's world, lets you go back to your own world, given after 1-1), and the Red stone (used when in soul form, you teleport yourself to another person's world (at free will) and you attempt to kill the person to gain your body back). So whether you feel like helping somebody or want to be a complete ass and kill somebody, they have allowed you to accomplish both in this game in a very easy and quick (I can't say quick for the blue stone though) way. All in all, a game that everyone should buy and play before Dark Souls release. Expand
  79. Jul 5, 2011
    one of the most rewarding gaming experiences i've had in close to 20 years of gaming. extremely difficult but not impossible game play forces the player to adapt and form a strategy to progress. i found myself grinning like a complete idiot after beating a few bosses. i can't wait for dark souls.
  80. Jun 27, 2011
    While the game is unforgiving, this is probably one of the better games on the PS3 out there. It reminds me of the Monster Hunter franchise in a way, only with better targetting.
  81. Jun 26, 2011
    Very harsh game. If you don't like that, you should probably stick with less challenging games like "Dora the Explorer's Big Adventure." Only detractors were the multiplayer features and the ineffective character creation setup.
  82. Jun 22, 2011
    We all remember old school games where they were ridiculously hard and basically made you want to break your controller against a wall. Well Demon's Souls will make you want to do the very same. The word difficult doesn't even begin to describe how tough this game is. But do not let that prevent you from playing this amazing game. It uses a unique hack & slash style combat system where you have to use each attack wisely. It is not like a typical hack & slash where you can get away with pressing "X" 40 to 50 times and walk away from a fight in the game untouched. You can customize your character as much as you like and you have access to over 50 pieces of weapons and armor. The visuals in the game are stunning from the amazing dragons flying around the castle to the knights with glowing red eyes (Beware they are difficult). This game has it all. Expand
  83. Jun 21, 2011
    Let's make this blatantly clear, Demon's Soul has the finest controls and gameplay mechanics in action RPG history. Using the should buttons for the respective arms (ex. L1 for shield, R1 for sword) is insanely intuitive and commanding your character to dodge and execute heavy attacks are brilliantly smooth. Every action has a heavy, realistic feel to it, so your sword swings and shield blocks will have lifelike responses. These ground breaking controls are complemented with beautiful visuals, stunning level design and extremely creative boss battles. For instance, one of the early levels will have you running through a castle timing your runs with the intervals of a dragon swooping down and breathing fire over your path. Scenes like this are so grandiose and epic in scale and really immerse you in this fantasy genre. The most crippling flaw of Demon's Soul is a lack of a compelling story. This game is truly gameplay oriented, meaning you will be going from level to level without really feeling like you've accomplished much for any characters or made a significant progression throughout a long winding engaging story, unlike games like Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls. But Demon's Soul is a game you definitely need to experience to fall in love with. It is a game of absolutely monumental scale and you really deserve to see it for yourself. Expand
  84. Jun 20, 2011
    Put plain and simple, Demon's Souls has the best and most balanced combat in any action RPG. You have freedom to develop your character and explore the bleak, beautiful world however you like, and no matter how you do it, but it's the challenging-but-fair gameplay that makes this game worth fighting through.
  85. Jun 14, 2011
    Given the current state of video games, Demon's Souls is a breath of fresh air in that it's an actual challenge. Unforgiving gameplay, brutal and epic boss fights, dangerous enemies around every turn, and an amazingly dark and gloomy atmosphere are what make Demon's Souls one of my favorite games. What you won't get with DS is a story/character-driven RPG. It's an immersive dungeon crawler with minimal story. Nothing more, nothing less. Expand
  86. Jun 13, 2011
    Death is part of the game, and is an essential part. In the numerous deaths you learn how to beat the game and get the feel how the souls are tortured. The game is a show, in which you became indifferent to everything happened in the game world, the demons, your death, other people's death. Death is an integrated part of the story telling and gameplay.
    There are many ways to play the game,
    melee, ranged, magic... Each way is unique and interesting. Stage design is brilliant, especially the Tower of Latria. Enemy design is impressive, gives historical or fantasical feeling. Also, basically all armours and weapons can be traced into real world. Multiplay is really innovative as well, great ideas there.
    The underlying plot and many other small details are worth digging, which made the game attractive for you to play again and again, and again.
    In summary, I couldn't stop playing this game with my hand sweating, it's awesome.
  87. Jun 1, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games of all time and it's one of the top 5 of mine for the PS3. I love that this game challenges you and gives you a sense of accomplishment when you finally get past the part you were stuck at. New game + keeps the difficulty ramping up and it's awesome no matter how well you know the level or enemies one false move and you're screwed. At first I wasn't to thrilled about the save or no pause feature.Then I got use to it after about 30 mins.You can trick the game into saving as most know just open inventory and go to items then back out and ta da saved.I think everyone should try this game even if they find it to hard they can at least experience it.This game gets a solid 10/10 from me and I can't wait for Dark Souls. Expand
  88. May 28, 2011
    Demon's souls is the best PS3 exclusive bar non and make it into my own personal top 20 games of all time... A word of warning for the casuals gamers who are considering buying this game is that this game is seriously HARDCORE , it refuses to hold your hand and it is brutally difficult to begin with.But those who persist will experience one of the most rewarding games of all time....MUST BUY!
  89. May 28, 2011
    Utterly brilliant.The crushing difficulty sorts the men from the boys until you adapt.All the game needs is a more in-depth story and It could be at the top of the greatest games ever made.Fantastic design all round,with graphics,sound,enemies and the best multiplayer I've ever experienced.With all of the lollypop RPG's around these days,Demon's Souls stands head and shoulders above them all.I can not praise this game enough and if you want a real challenge in the best designed fantasy world seen for some time,buy this, then worship it. Expand
  90. May 27, 2011
    I have just bought my 3rd copy of this game, all the UK release. Why or why have i done this? Because, this game gets under your skin. I got frustrated by it twice, to the point of selling it, but am massively enjoying it the 3rd time of asking. People complain about the lack of plot or narrative, and to some extent they have a point. BUT, and it deserves the caps, the narrative is within the challenges, the increasing levels of difficulty.

The graphics may not be ground breaking, but they convey the atmosphere perfectly. The game is meant to be a challenge, a drab, squalid place to be. And the challenge is often just getting to the bosses at the end of each stage, with them themselves not being soooo much of a challenge. Utterly awesome. Thoroughly recommended, just take your time and hold that shield up.
  91. May 25, 2011
    Not for the feint of heart. This game will challenge you, punish you, and overall just make you it's **** That said, playing and beating this game was probably my greatest videogame moment of late. The best way for me to describe this game is basically Zelda for adults. So if you like hack-n-slash, exploration, and a good challenge you will have a great time playing demon's souls.
  92. May 23, 2011
    I never saw the reason to bad mouth a game until youâ
  93. May 20, 2011
    Demon's souls is my favourite game this generation for many reasons. The game throws at you so many great things its hard to tell whats the best thing about it. It's not a game for everyone but it is a game that enyone can master. The lurning curve in this game isn't all that bad and if you'l learn how to defend and attack responsibly, then you shouldn't worry. The combat consists of weapons and magic and you can decide what type of character you will have. There are many possibilities so you can create a royal-barbarian, mage-soldier and so on. There are tons of weapons and lots of magic so you can allways experiment and see what's your choice. Your first playthrough will not be your last because this game is meant to be played several times, atleast. The most unique thing about the game is the online. Other players can invade your world and do co-op with you as well. You can do the same things yourself and it feels very rewarding to beat another player with all your wits and abilities while having a small bit of your health left. The levels themselves are very well designed. They are rather short but it will take time untill you'll manage to approach to many levels so you'll need to level up your character and your weapons. The game holds many secrets and you will use a FAQ at times because there is no way you will find all these secrets by yourself( unless you got a lot of time to waste). The graphics are fantastic, end of story. There is a story to the game, but it's told very subtly and it's obvious the developers didn't want it to a major concern. Honestly I didn't mention many many other things that make this game so awsome like the boss fights, the leveling system, the many types of weapons, the seamless online integration and so forth. This game reminded me how video games used to be like in the last generations. The little things are the things that make a game a classic, and Demon's souls has plenty of those. You really should get this game, or atleast try it. Many did, and most of them never looked back. Expand
  94. May 11, 2011
    Wow, I must say this game totally blew me away! This game isn't nearly as tough as the reviewers have touted. (except for Maneater Ng++) I'm not an RPG'r but I was pretty much hooked when I completed the training level. Each level offers different and diverse enemies The levels can be qasi linear but each has a series of short cuts that will take you to various bosses. Combat is very satisfying! I loved the fact that you have to watch your stamina meter when attacking and defending. You won't last long if you're a button masher. The game looks and sounds great. The online function is brillant! There's no other feeling of excitement I get when I see that "black phantom has invaded your game". PvPing is also incredible aswell. I've logged in about 700 hours on this bad boy..do yourself a favor and give this game a shot. Expand
  95. May 2, 2011
    Amazing game. Plain and simple. Most reviewers did this game justice, so I suggest you check out Gamespot's primarily. I just wanted to give this badboy a 10.
  96. Apr 26, 2011
    Demon's Souls is quite possibly one of the greatest PS3 titles of all time. Many may have gripes with my last statement but I will defend my point. Demon's Souls throws you into the game, and from the very beginning seeks to show you are very mortal. Enemies don't play nice and every enemy if you are not careful can be as leathal as the next. Which summarizes Demon's Souls very well. Demon's Souls is a lethal game, and is very unforgiving. IF you die (which you will early and often), you turn into your hero's soul, which is exactly what it sounds like. You get ressurected as a soul but with much less HP and you lose any experience you had gained. Now unlike dying in real life, this isnt the end of the world. All you have to do is find the area in which you died to gain your body back with the health and all the experience that comes with it. The trick is....you have to fight your way through the entire level to get it back. And every time you die, the enemies get reborn as a stronger faster and smarter version of themselves.Demon's Souls is not a game that will hold your hand, and it may seem at times the game is purposefully trying to hurt your feelings. The odd thing is, this makes the game feel more addicting. Dying in the game, only to get your body back and beat a boss gives you a real sense of acomplishment. Which brings me to the fighting mechanics. DS has some of the most intuitive controls and seemless fighting mechanics I have seen in any game. There are so many ways you can handle a battle, and the greatest thing about this game is every battle has a unique feeling. You will never find yourself in this game saying "oh I just need to do this and this and this and I will kill the enemy". What works well with 1 enemy will NOT work the same with another. DS is a strong RPG and has your classic classes such as thief, mage, and knight as well as a few others. But DS is an RPG That allows you to change your mind as you develope your characters. If you want to be a knight who can shoot off magic to keep enemies at a distance, you can. IF you want to be a mage and have amazing and creative spells to tear your enemies apart, but at the same time be able to wield a sword, you can. But once you committ to what you want to be, you should stick with it because no matter where you spend your points toward a skill each skill will increase in cost. The only thing DS does not do perfect is story telling. The game lays out the plot for you and explains to you many things along the way, but for the most part the story is yours to make. It is because of this it was hard to connect with some NPCs and connect with them, but for the most part it still a good story. Demon's Souls is a game that does everything almost perfectly. The game looks good and will challenege you every step of the way. The fighting feels seemless and there are so many ways to use the fighting mechanics. And no class is boring at any point which gives the game tons and tons of replay value. For the "spiritual sequel" they could use a little work in the story department, but the story wasn't forgetable it just needs some fine tuning. Final Score.....................10/10 (only because You can't score it 9.5) Expand
  97. Apr 3, 2011
    I just had to register at Meta to WARN about this game. Ignore all positive reviews, graphics CAN run with ease playstation2... blocky, bad textures, no mood whatsoever anywhere in the game... For a ps3 exclusive... the worst game since commodore64... and by the way, this game IS not difficult, time your thrust...block...stab...and there you are. My score definately 4 out of 10. Avoid this title, unless you have jailbraker mod...but then again, not worth the hd space... DO NOT SHOW THIS TO YOUR XBOX360 fans. Expand
  98. Mar 17, 2011
    Demon's Souls is not for everyone. It is only for those who are undoubtedly determined to finish a game. From the tutorial alone, you're supposed to realize that. This is not a casual game. This is not a simple game. It is difficult, but it is there for a purpose. It needs your utmost attention and effort. If you can give it that, this game will be one of the most enjoyable games you've played on your PS3. First of all, this game is not hard. At least, not yet. It gets harder when you beat it. Why? Why do you want to play a game you've already beaten? It has to challenge you again and keep up with you or else you'll lose interest. If you find this game too hard, seek another game you have interest in. Simple. Second, this game's story is subtle. Not good, not bad, just subtle. Since the game is closer to an MMORPG, that is probably to be expected. (The "Character Creation" and "Classes" should be the best hint for that so don't expect an extraordinary award-winning tale.) However, the characters are at least interesting and the graphics are superb. Third, your death is your fault. The worlds are in a state of terrible chaos and evil. But this time, its true to its word. So don't think that you'll survive if you're not cautious. Just be extra, extra, extra careful. Don't run unless you need to. Keep your shield up and be prepared for anything. The only thing that most people would probably agree on (including me) is how unfair the punishment of death is. Okay, you died. Its alright to start at the beginning of the stage. But having to kill all of the same creatures again without the guarantee that you can actually make it back to your Bloodstain is overkill. If only your souls weren't on the line this would be acceptable. Sadly, it is not. So spend them immediately and efficiently. Demon's Souls is not a perfect game. But its purpose is clear. The world is conquered by evil. We need to stop it. So get your gear ready and kick some ass. You were meant to save the world. You just need to prove it. Expand
  99. Mar 12, 2011
    this must be the best game i played since final fantasy vii, it's not about the story its about gameplay, everyone should at least play it once. that's all.
  100. Mar 9, 2011
    Few games have the balls to take a simple concept (you, a weapon and some items against everything else) and take it through to all of its consequences, good or bad. Demon's Souls is one such game. Each and every choice you make, where to go, what to carry, what upgrade path to take both for you and your equipment; all of that will be your own as there is no indication whatsoever of what you should do. The story is not shoved down your throat, you find it and learn it and most of all live it by exploring and just taking in the world around you. This is one of the game's greatest assets.
    I remember originally getting the game because of the IMPOSSIBLY HARD reputation, thinking "bunch of **** I'll show them" and also that it was some sort of toned-down God of war action game with RPG elements thrown in (from the trailers, ha!). What I got instead is one of the few truly fullfiling and great gaming experiences of my entire life. You can't prepare for this game, nor really ever master it, nor forget about it.
    When you finally *get* the game (or, more likely, the game *gets* you), you'll start seeing every design decision, like the no-save no-pause aspects as just another face of the lighting-in-a-bottle brilliance of this game.
    Over one year later after getting myself my first copy, a US version, I've already gone through the Japanese version and am halfway through on my first playthrough on the European version; and I am starting to feel the nostalgia that when the time comes to shutdown the servers powering the multiplayer component of this game I will only be able to go back to the whole experience that this game was by way of my memories.
    Take the plunge, embrace death and enjoy one of the few unique and pure gaming experiences this generation.
    (besides, the game is like $15 new now)

1. Demon's Souls: Unbelievably hard and unbelievably satisfying at the same time. If you accomplish to get through your initial rage attacks, you will experience an outstanding action-RPG with a tense and dark atmosphere.
    Beyond the initial threat of difficulty there waits a remarkable combination of accessibility and challenge, of risk and reward, punishment and empowerment.
  3. It's stoic, uncompromising, difficult to get to know, but also deep, intriguingly disturbed and perversely rewarding. You can learn to love Demon's Souls like few other games in the world. But only if you're prepared to give yourself over to it. [JPN Import]