4.4

1. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is Fantastic. It reminds me of the first Assassins Creed game, not because of gameplay but because of initial flack it received from the gamer community. Will this new IP appeal to every player right off the bat? No, but it will develop a following that will look forward to any materials released later in the series.

This is an excellent shooter, with elements that let me
    adjust my character to serve my playing style. The class system is good, and maybe with more classes and customization this game could be "Legend". Currently most people are running the same character builds, and it makes it hard for me to have the identity that I want in a game like this.

The loot system is good, and could be better if there were more chests to open up. (Maybe I just can't find them). I can equip the guns I want to have, rather than most shooters where I am limited to a very few types of arms. So this easily beats out the vast majority of Shooters I have played when it comes to playing how I want to. Which is important in a game like this.

Something this game could add to make the experience more personal would be player houses, or pets. This game should be more about individuality.

This game has excellent music, and the voice acting from Dinklage is nice fan service for the nerd community.

The levels can feel repetitive, but if you have ever played an MMO it is not as bad as the vast majority of them. Skyrims dungeons were mostly the same, but that did not stop it from being a great game.

This game feels better when playing with friends, and if you lack friends you can meet people to form sorties or make guilds. Occasionally Solo players will be forced to sortie up around Boss Time, and that can be annoying.

Overall Bungie delivered exactly what they promised, a fresh new IP with great gameplay. We can always ask for more, but that does not prevent this game from being one of the best games of the year.
  2. Sep 9, 2014
    If you're a fan of repetitive games, you'll love Destiny. You get to shoot people over and over again for no reason. There's nothing to do in freeroam.
  3. Sep 9, 2014
    Currently 5 hours in and I'm already beginning to stare at my paint drying rather then fulfil another "fetch questy" type mission with all the enthusiasm of an exorcism.

Yes the missions in this game are pretty much cut/paste/glue "lets go down the pub lads job well done" -_-
    Don't get me started on the enemy types, but if you like fighting deranged AI that looks like it just crawled
    out of George Lucas's basement with a different slap of paint of them as you trudge through the game then more power to you.

If you're a fan of Peter Dinklage then you will probably hate me for this but his performance was a little 'weak' now I'm not too sure if it's intended that way but he does come across as disinterested and poorly executed to boot.

Besides that the game looks great, excellent guns (the way they shoot/recoil etc) very tight gameplay, but I feel this rushed and not the game we all thought it could be
  4. Sep 9, 2014
    Short and simple review. It's an MMO. if you don't like FPS MMO's Don't buy it! it's not 'Revolutionary' but not bad. so the normal(generic) MMO rule will apply: -repetitive -online only -very basic story -their version of 'Difficult' is more bad guys, with more HP, and more damage, and faster attacks -Pretty dumb AI (challenge stems from mainly just staying alive, and hiding)
    -you can run around and 'explore' but there not much to find

So if you hate MMO tropes just don't buy it.

(also the FOV is super low, like 45 or something, eww)

But what it dose offer is a hard difficulty, not just missions marked as hard,
    but the ability to replay levels with more challenge, and the ability to take on missions that are above your level.

And that's where the real enjoyment comes in (for me at least)
    the main game is SUPER EASY, I've solo'd every area so far up to level 9.
    and from the first Area I got 95+% of my kills from melee,
    I'd stab a few, and if I get hit, hide behind a rock for a few seconds then continue.
    That was fun for a while, but kind of got boring.

But jump into a higher level area, and you'll not only get stronger enemies, but they are much better at tracking you down, so you have to keep moving from cover to cover in order to keep from being killed.
    and if you die in a 'dark zone' then you keep the EXP, but you have to start the area over again, without having your ammo recovered!
    Waste all your shotgun shells on that wizard?
    too bad! you have to try again, without the shotgun.

it's just too bad you can't play the whole game like that.
    like have an option to just skip to hard mode without beating the levels that start on 'normal'
    but after a few hours they open up more options,
    but why could it not start like that?

Anyway, it's a cool game, but you have to put some time in before you can get to what I would consider to be the more fun stuff.

It's pretty fun, but I can't see it lasting as long as some of the bigger MMO's
    I will definitely not be still playing this this time next year.
    even with expansion packs.
  5. Sep 9, 2014
    You might as well just play Borderlands 2. This game is a waste of $60.00. It's a combination of Borderlands and Halo, but without any of the fun. Little to no interesting story or characters. The character customization leaves a lot to be desired. The only saving grave of this game is Peter Dinklage and the graphics. Otherwise, it's just another mediocre shooter that feels like it's trying to be Halo, but with horribly repetitive quests/missions that makes the game bland and uninteresting. Re-visit the same locations over and over in "Old Russia" and fight the same types of enemies. Sense of character progression is missing and nearly existent, despite the skill tree. It's missing all of the charm and fun that games like Borderlands 2 deliver on and feels like another generic shooter that's trying to be an MMO (eg. Defiance). With the limitations on voice chat, it leaves you feeling as if you are playing alone or with A.I. and without that MMO "feel" or interesting story to speak of, it ends up feeling like you're playing some fancy Free-To-Play shooter like Warframe. Expand
  6. Sep 11, 2014
    Wanted, like everyone else, to be excited for this. When I first heard and read about it, it seemed like a great premise with some exciting gameplay to boot. Unfortunately once I read the news that it wasn't going to launch with the whole solar system available and that you don't actually control your own ship. I knew it was going to be a major let down. The beta only confirmed it for me. Proves that the gaming business only cares about rushing out products for max profitability. Not to mention all this DLC bonus junk. 60 for something half-assed is a scam. No one should support it. They say it cost 500 million to make? Outright lie. A couple other reasons for the score? Repetitive missions. Abysmal weapons. Terrible enemies. Tacky menu system. List goes on. Will hold out for The Evil Within and Alien Isolation. The latter being the best bang for buck this Halloween. Trick or treat. Expand
  7. Sep 10, 2014
    Destiny is an a MMO FPS with no social chat system, very limited character customization, no trade system or player housing. Bungie made this game for the FPS community but will have to appease the MMO players if it wants Destiny to survive.
  8. Sep 10, 2014
    This game has a lot of repetition, and is boooring. All the missions are identical. Every mission looks the same... Don't buy it, save your money to holiday hits.
  9. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is amazing. There is so much content included it's hard to believe it's only one game! Modes for any mood, appeals for MMO players and FPS players. A story that pulls you in, a universe where you actually want to explore every nook and cranny. Loot system is fair enough, it will definitely keep you coming back. I recommend this game to anyone who was a fan of halo, but is ready for something new. I recommend it to fans of borderlands, and anyone looking for a fun Sci-Fi shooter. Expand
  10. Sep 9, 2014
    It seems a poor man's Borderlands 2, without the loot fun and the RPGish elements. Friends who got the game also spoke of disappointment, though the multiplayer has got some nice aspects to it.
  11. Sep 12, 2014
  12. ESG
    Sep 9, 2014
    Played this game from launch, almost solid for 15 hours. I did some missions, knocked around The Tower, grinded around Earth for a bit and yes there is supposed to be a grind, most FPS needs grind for unlocks. Then a few missions on The Moon before a few games in The Crucible, only lvl 11 after all that so I give it a 10 as I really find it to be far more than the normal FPS offering. Plenty of weapons to choose from and I understand plenty more after lvl 20. SP is larger than the avarage due to exploration being key to this game. AI is cool and Bungie always seemed to have this locked down(remember the H4 spamfest was not Bungie) so I have no worries. Also this can ALL be shared with our friends all the way so if you have 0 friends then why not jump in and make some more, Bungie has the greatest community ever and it just got bigger. Currently playing on PS3 but the power of this game will make me buy a PS4...again. Expand
  13. Sep 12, 2014
    Awful game, deceptive marketing, boring, repetitive gameplay. Don't support developers who seek the easy way out to take your money. It's a shame this is what it has come to.
  14. Sep 12, 2014
    Boring, repetitive. It feels like Bungie sank most of their $500 million budget into marketing and advertising. They even banned official reviews after release to sell as many copies as possible before reviews start showing up to ruin the Metacritic score. This game feels like a cash grab, with Bungie just trying to get as much money as possible. I never felt ripped off by a game, except Mass Effect 3. Where is the old Bungie I used to know? The one that loved to make GAMES?? Now they only love making MONEY. Expand
  15. Sep 11, 2014
    Something like Borderlands with better shooting, music and graphics. Campaign could be longer but there are tons of multilayer content and quests for epic loot. This game is not revolutionary by any means... but it is still almost pure perfection. Soo good.
  16. Sep 10, 2014
    As I've stepped away from gaming for a while, I hadn't heard anything about this game prior to release. My brother stayed at my house for the midnight launch. When he brought it back and I saw him playing it, I went and bought a copy myself and have been playing pretty much non-stop since.

PvE:
    The gameplay mechanics are brilliant, there's a serious sense of accomplishment to bringing
    down a high level boss. The Strikes are really good fun (3 Player Co-Op only missions) and you need a good strategy / team to come out on top.
    The various missions and side quests you get are a bit "cookie cutter", but mixing it up with taking Bounties, running Strikes and joining Fireteams really does help cut the monotony of "Kill this" and "Collect that".
    The Story is a tiny bit non-existent, there is a story and you do see cut-scenes... I just don't know what's going on and nothing has made me care enough to find out. But then, that isn't anything unusual for an MMO game.

PvP:
    I've had mixed feelings for the PvP aspect. You get the same kind of offerings as any other multiplayer shooter game, but there's nothing new or exciting in there. Your levelling bonuses and equipment are all "evened out" so you don't get that one guy in Level 20 Legendary Gear dominating everyone, but in the same stroke it kind of makes your equipment feel useless.
    I do certainly like how you earn EXP in PvP though. I had a few games of Control in the Crucible and went from level 10 to 13 (which is great when you consider that you "Max Out" at 20 and the max level is 26).

Overall:
    I would say that it's a game, genre and experience all to itself. I've always liked the idea of an MMO Shooter, (I've tried Defiance, MAG, Boarderlands and PlanetSide) but they all fell a bit short of what I really wanted. Defiance wasn't very stable or fun, MAG had no real progression, PlanetSide was only PvP and Boarderlands is missing the MMO aspect.
    Destiny has nearly-everything that I liked about all of those games, and fixes the parts that I didn't.

The first time I got pinned down by a hoard of enemies and wrote myself off as dead, only to be saved because two guys just happened to be passing by on a different mission... I knew I had found a gaming experience unlike any other shooter on the market.
  17. Sep 14, 2014
    Biggest disappointement ever. It was supposed to be a great game, with a lot of content, lot of things to do, lots of planets to explore... It just look like a f**king demo! Do NOT put 50$ in that, it is not worth it at all. There are only 3 goods points, the gameplay is fine, the graphics are nice and the musics pretty good. That's it, it is not a MMO, main quest can only be done with 2 other players and the socail aspect sucks, it is not an adventure game either (forget everything you heard about Mass Effect, because it's not), it is just a boring FPS, far from Halo or Borderlands. What a waste. Expand
  18. Sep 12, 2014
    Alot like Borderlands but also reminds me of a cheap knock off of ME series. I guess others wont agree but I did not like ME at all so this game made me happy I rented it. 2 hours was enough
  19. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is not bad, it doesn't deserve a zero, but i understand why people tends to get down all the 10 notes also. The fact is Destiny is for the moment a simple FPS with some leveling and gear, as was Borderlands. It has good gameplay , except for the AI to be somewhat basic, and lacks diversity on ennemies. It is very repetitive though , no real MMO aspect due to the fact you can't really communicate with other people and no real teamwork is required except ressurecting your allies, so why not implementing solo offline so we can pause when needed and not suffer network issues ? i understand bungie wants it online only but for the very limited possibility we get from it, i can't see why. In Borderlands you could also coop up to 4 players online , nothing new there. Also if graphics are awesome on next gen consoles, and i saw videos that proves it, for the PS3 the resolution downgrade with aliasing and blur filter makes 3D ugly despite good designed characters and landscapes, so i guess it was intended for next gen and they didn't put many effort on the old gen graphic ports, really graphics are bad like if you set Guild Wars 2 to "high performance/low quality" for example, same result. PS3 can do better and has already made in terms of 3D.
    So..... not a bad game for fps lovers, but nothing really new for a title that promised us awesomeness. A friend of mine possess the game and share his account with me so i'm not the complaining guy that wants its money back. I just thinks that if bungie doesn't delivers lots of improvements in little time, and i mean free updates and real players response improvements, i can understand why some players will be furious, and i thinks it might be a flop worth 500 M$ of mainly marketing promises, coz players will go on other games for sure, games that tries to improve video game offering. As for what you can offer in 2014 with just more powerfull machines, is another debate.
  20. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good game even ignoring all the hype. It's one that's going to evolve and grow over time much like a MMO so its hard to give it a final score. The game wont appeal to everyone, but its far from being as bad as all these low scores suggest. Expect this to be a larger and richer game in the future as the universe expands.
  21. Sep 15, 2014
    This is the next FPS from the guys who made Halo, with some poorly implemented MMO elements. Many of the user reviewers have clearly never played a MMO, and this has all the repetitive enemies, quests, and town runs for rewards MMO players are used to, without the diversity in gameplay most MMOs offer - This game is ONLY shooting. For anyone thinking this is a RPG you will be disappointed. All 3 classes are shooting classes, and all your new abilities just make you shoot better despite Warcraft lifted class names like "Warlock", and powers like "Voidwalker". The gameplay is a series of shoot-outs, well done, but very repetitive with little deviation. You play on a series of large maps with extremely repetitive structures and environments, so it does not have that open world feel at all. All the cool fights are instanced, and you can only group with your existing friends even though other solo players are in the environment. There is no block system, so crouching behind barricades is your defense. Parts of this game are horrible attempts at things that are the norm in other genres. The story is not as clear as Halo, but feels like Halo. The shooting and graphics are really good. Another user review said "deceptive marketing", and I couldn't agree more. Expand
  22. Sep 9, 2014
    Awesome world. Great opportunity to explore. Wonderfull shooting mechanics. Interesting LORE. Some kind of magic. What else do you need from the shooter?
  23. Sep 15, 2014
    this is my THIRD review of the game, i had given it a 8 but now im dropping that to a 5/10. here is why

i have this very minute finished the game and i can assure you its a huge let down, i had to actually YouTube the ending to make sure it was the same thing as i just witnessed, its the same concept as every other. You get on your sparrow ride through, get to a gate deploy ghost, he
    does his business, fight some enemies, go through a gate, kill some more goblin robots, then you are presented with fighting 3 of the boss's (all seperately) with the yellow writing (you will know what i mean if youve played it) and they are the EXACT same as the boss's from the previous level and i think they are also EASIER to kill, once youve done that the mission ending timer counts down, you go back to the tower and speak to the speaker, he does a little speech , THATS IT, not even any end credits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is the EXACT same as every other boring level.

the only thing i like about the game is the visuals and the levelling up but thats all pointless now, unless you fancy doing the same boring stuff in crucible over and over again.

You might see a trend here with the game - "repetitive" - awful!! - oh and certainly no replay value!

the second worst ending ive ever seen in a video game behind sniperghost warrior on 360. 4/10
  24. Sep 20, 2014
    After about a week of watching my son play this, and seeing the frustration he has felt due to the connectivity issues, and the time I have spent trying to fix it, I cannot rate this game very high. It looks like a fine game, maybe nothing about it makes me really want to play it anymore. It looks like most sci-fi first person shooters. However, this is our usual M.O. One of us buys a game, we both try it. I am probably going to pass this one up. If my son was not kicked off so often, I might rate it a little higher. Expand
  25. Sep 11, 2014
    Game is very much worth buying don't let bad reviews discourage you all the people that like the game are both sane and to busy playing the game to write a review.
  26. Sep 13, 2014
    Incredibly great game. For me it's one of the best games in PS3's history - awesome gameplay, interesting and clever game mechanics, immersing PvE and absolutely excellent PvP. The graphics are obviously not as nice as in the next-gen versions, but still looks really great and I haven't encountered any framerate drops no matter what was happening on-screen. I really can't understand how can anyone give this game so ridiculously low score as 0,1... It only distorts the average score and it's obvious that these stupid trolls have never even spent a second playing Destiny. Expand
  27. Oct 6, 2014
    Easily the most disappointing game I have ever played. I played Destiny every day for about two to six hours a session for almost a month hoping that it would get better…it never did. I deleted this game last night and I vow I will never buy another title from Bungie or Activision anytime in the near future and I do not care how good the reviews are. I want my $60 back!

The character
    generator is lack luster to say the least and considering you and everyone else in the game are wearing helmets 99% of the time what is the point. Your character has no special back-story or traits nor at anytime while playing Destiny will you ever feel any special attachment to your character, as they are just a cog in the machine, senselessly grinding away.

Secondly, the ship you purchase, regardless of how much you spend, will serve no other purpose than to be a loading screen. How pathetic, at minimum your character should be able to deck out their spacecraft, call down an airstrike or go inside and use the ship for crafting weapons upgrades, something, anything besides just being a floating turdy loading screen.

Leveling is stupid as hell as each mission is the same as the last. “Go to X on your map while clearing out small pockets of enemies along the way. Once at X use your Ghost to open a door or unlock a tricky computer code. While your Ghost is doing that hold off swarms of enemies that slowly increase in difficulty until a “boss”, character shows up that looks exactly like the regular guys. Kill boss.” Rinse and repeat. And then once you beat the game you get to experience the joy of running the exact same missions all over again just on a higher difficulty setting which merely means the enemies have more hp and fire more powerful weapons however, they react exactly the same and look exactly the same as their lower level counterparts.

Destiny’s storyline is completely nonexistent. What little story that is present is ripped straight from RIFT the MMORPG. The comparison is unavoidable “You were dead, but have been given a second chance, brought back to life by a mysterious force in the future to battle a new growing evil.” Sound familiar? Even the names of the good and bad forces in the game are strikingly all too similar. Rift has Guardians and Defiant while Destiny has Guardians and Fallen. Even after beating the game, you are still left feeling as if giant chunks are missing from the story, which will be revealed later in paid updates.

PVP is complete garbage as the teams are always unbalanced because of the screwed up team balancing system. There will be six players on one team and three on the other. Gear score (defense) means nothing, regardless of how much you grind for gear. You can be decked out in purples and blues and still get one shot by an entry level player in green and grey gear wielding a shotgun.

High level PVE is a joke, as I mentioned earlier, all you do is run the same missions you ran to level up your character just on higher difficulties. Within a few days, you are burnt out from the repetition. The patrol missions can be thrown in to spice things up a bit, but what is the point considering they garner you nothing special after completion. And guess what? Every mission and patrol has your character starting in the exact same location on the map every single time! Every single god damn time!

Destiny was advertised as a socially engaging, ever changing, open world environment, which is complete **** The maps are small and within a few patrol missions, you will have discovered and seen everything Destiny has to offer. You do not feel any type of social connection with other players except rarely when an “event” takes place, which again, is a direct rip off of RIFT’s Rift openings. These events are again repetitious and annoyingly similar to everything else you have been doing in the game already.

The gear may be the most egregious error as you will spend literally 20 to 30 hours grinding just to get a purple codex only to have it open up and be a shard or a weapon that you do not use. Worse yet, if you are lucky enough to get a legendary to drop that you can use, once equipped it looks exactly the same as your standard weapon. I found myself face palming and screaming repeatedly as I put on the new gear only to see the new epic gear looked identical to the gear it just replaced.

Destiny promoted itself as a FPS/MMORPG; however, in reality it is nothing more than Call of Duty in space.

I will finish by saying that out of shear annoyance, disappointment and rage at this game I broke a controller nearly in half. This game will piss you off and leave you feeling like you are just spinning your wheels as there is no big payoff…ever.
  28. Sep 20, 2014
    Not to discredit well thought reviews, but if someone gives this game less than a 7.5 is crazy. This game is the first of a new genre, and Bungie isn't afraid to take risks with their latest IP. The multiplayer is great and the story is fun. My only complaint is world/server disconnects. The graphics are great, but even better, the visuals are spectacular. The story requires you put things together for yourself but I thought it was good. The gameplay is flawless. As they release free content through patches and work on expansions, I'm sure this great game will just get better. Seriously, you can't please some people.. it isn't a shooter/RPG. It is the first of a new breed. Expand
  29. Sep 9, 2014
    To be honest, the game is a bit slow. If you weren't the type to tolerate the pace of say, an MMO, you wouldn't like this. But the games brightest quality, by far, is its Co-op. There have been many times where complete strangers would find eachother in each level and work together for a time, its a truly wonderful feeling. But at the end of the day Destiny has the basis of an MMO within it and the pacing (and occasionally immersion breaking with the enemies spawning in, they did their best to prevent it.) . I am thoroughly enjoying the game at about 5 hours in, the leveling could be worse but what has kept me chugging was the idea of progress. Progression in the game felt very swift, although I do complain about xp not scaling with enemy level. It doesent. While you might not level up immediatly after killing a bunch of mobs, when you do you gain legitimate and often times interesting concepts that add to the depth of the game.

For example, I was playing the hunter class and a very early perk you get is the Double jump, I looked ahead and there were similarly cool things that werent simply stat upgrades and ammo increases. I can't say destiny is for everyone, but as someone who has failed to get into any other mmorpg, and even borderlands, this game has caught my eye and I truely would reccomend it, and at least mention looking into it.

The mixed reviews are pretty much telling of what I said. The game isnt for everybody. The quality of the game I give an 8/10 but the enjoyment I felt was probably a 7/10. Above average. Some people would hate the idea of the pace in Destiny, as such people would rate it a zero as it didnt come up to their qualifications. In the end the zero guys arent really that wrong, they probably really did hate the game and are entitled to that opinion. I just prefer to rate based on overall quality, and not very much so in enjoyment.
  30. Sep 18, 2014
    My oh my if you need a really expensive coaster fer your coffee table this is it. i can find no reason to justify paying for this game.If it was free i still would not play..unfortunatley i payed don't make the same mistake..Definetly screwing the peopels here.. i play mmo and mmofps this has got to be in my top 5 worst. if you purchased this poop you have my sympathy..

There are no critic reviews yet.