8.2

1. Oct 9, 2014
    A game worthy of the Deus Ex name. Fantastic stealth-based action with a variety of ways to conquer each mission and filled with intriguing characters and side-quests. The ending may leave a bitter taste in the mouth but don't let it take away the magnificence of what came before it.
  2. Sep 21, 2014
    (Please note: CoD will be mentioned in this review allot, those games suck, and if you like them, I advise you stop reading my review now, and go hit yourself atop the head with a brick, and hand over your precious cash for the new CoD that might just happen to be the same with a few minor tweaks, all while saying "Duh". And yes, I'm joking, if you didn't know that already then hit the books, not literally or physically).

So my original review was based on my first impressions.
    I still haven't beaten this yet, but I damn as well can tell ya,
    this game is worth every cent.
    It's not perfect in a half-life or zelda way, and though I haven't played the original nor the crappy sequel,
    I love this game.
    The A.I. is not always that smart however, and compared to the PC port (no, not the directors cut),
    you may experience framerate drops, and/or long loading screens.
    The RPG elements work I guess... but the only reason why I tried my hardest to find the praxis points was to well... improve my stealth.
    One nitpick I have this game, however, is the way the guns work. Now, I'm not asking for a Call Of Duty level of violence and gunplay, because that would have RUINED the stealth, much like the **** Call Of Duty: Ghosts (P.S. CoD is crap). I'm saying that if they do make a sequel to this (not 'the fall', as the PC port for that was lackluster, and weaker than the mobile version), that's another thing they can improve on.
    Now for the things I really like (so far):
    -The Sci-Fi setting is awesome, I really like how it places you in the middle of a war without going all rambo style or CoD style.
    -The story seems fresh and a departure from crappy stories before it (of course, the walking dead and the last of us both have really good post-apocalyptic plots too, but those were before this game).
    -The stealth is... good. After going through unit 13 (and finding out that the stealth in that game can't really be called "stealth"), and playing this fantastic game, I'm glad to see a good and *NEW* game that does stealth in all the right ways, especially if you have upgrades.

Overall, I'll give the actual game a 9 out of 10, but the console ports an 8 out of 10.

Pros:
    +Great story and setup
    +Fantastic world design
    +Great stealth and stealth mechanics
    +Functional and meaningful upgrades system

Cons:
    -Often framerate drops on PS3
    -Long loading screens
    -Poor gunplay on consoles

This game is great overall, and if you can get a good deal on this game,
    then I highly recommend it,
    the steam version is great... if you can accept that they've removed
    the version that had better graphics.
  3. Mar 24, 2014
    This is game is quite different from whatever we are use to play, give us a great atmosphere in a future city with all that technology and is really dark all the narrative for the main story, at the beginning fell some sense of lack of information on how to play almost give up at the beginning, but late on was extremely satisfying all the silent approach to solve all the mission, really good game! 9 out of 10 for me Expand
  4. Mar 2, 2014
    A fun stealth/cyber punkish sort of game. I like the main character, and the overall feel of the game, the graphics could have been better, it felt outdated. Other than that fun game. I work on a 10, 5, 0 score. 10 = Id buy for ps3, 5 = Probably wouldnt buy. 0 = Would not buy.
  5. Dec 17, 2013
    A broken game. You can choose your own style. I chose stealth and this is the first game I was actually good at in stealth. The gameplay posibilitties are great. The story was interesting. BUT: when you have a weak but stealthy character and then you are forced to use an action based gamestyle when a boss keeps shooting at you and breaking all the cover, with no possibility of staying hidden, there's no way you're gonna get past that boss. That was the end of it. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2013
    i still got 2004 and 05 game magz, when deus ex was still in development. never knew what it was, just years later i seen it at gamestop. in jail luckily they had that same mag that i use to have with deus ex leaks of gameplay. i read deus ex over and over millions of times in jail, just waiting for its release as well as my own lol
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    In general im a big fan of games set in the future, Deus Ex fancies is a great example, from one of the big fears how humanity might evolve, if they temper with the human body.

I've been stunned by the amazing story, its got a emotional, but also makes you think what kind of secrets we would have in the real world.

This game has a amazing hud, good customizations choices, different
    paths of executing missions, and a good open end story.

Despite the bugs you sometimes encounter, nothing game breaking has been spotted by me personally, after playing the campaign 3 times, the A.I should be worked on, as they shoot as maniacs, and not really seem to have a brain.

9/10 is my final score for this game.
  8. Aug 3, 2013
    Brings me right back to the first and second, although many improvement's graphics wise, and tuned gameplay, a very immersive game which kept me interested not just through the variety of the augmentations and being such a cool customer as Jensen but the story and ost are done to perfection which ties into this world greatly, only downfall was I found Detroit city a bit empty and a few too many wallpapered buildings, but now that the setting is grounded I hope that they expand for the sequel. if your a Deus Ex fan you shouldn't miss out in playing this game!!! Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2013
    I got this game purely off the reccomendations of game critics, at the time none of my friends were playing the game and I never played the original. At first I wasn't too impressed, while the opening of the game was alright it quickly fell down after that and I had to force myself to finish the first few levels. After this though the game shows that enduring this pays off and I finally got invested in the story, and what a story. This is one of the best story-driven games out there both for Adam Jenson's personal adventure and for the backstory and side-quest characters. It is fun and interesting to choose you responses in conversations and listen to their response however I found it very easy to influence people's decisions and almost never failed at persuading people. It is just a shame that this is let down by a terrible ending that lacks any sense of closure. Without spoiling anything it is basically that an event happens and you're left to choose what to tell the world about it. Do you tell the truth or do you lie to further your own interests. It is just 4 different cutscenes which hardly explain anything and leave you with more questions than answers. The gameplay is much better though as long as you're playing stealthily, and augmentations are interesting and thoughtful and can be picked according to your play-style. I did have a problem with the cover system though and although it is conventional and good for stealth purposes, going loud will highlight the clunkiness of it. The boss fights are another flaw which do not fit at all into the rest of the game and often leave you confused with how to actually defeat them i.e. is there a specific weaknes I must exploit or do I shoot like crazy to win?. Theses sections are rare but when they happen it is extremely frustrating. The world which these fights take place in however is much more fleshed out with interesting characters, sidequests and backstory with graphics that aren't too bad to boot.

Summing up then this game does alot of of things well but is let down by an uninteresting opening, terrible boss fights and and an anti-climatic ending. I must point out though that while I spent alot of time pointing out the flaws these are only a small fraction of what is still a decent game. 8/10
  10. Jun 11, 2013
    This is a great sci-fi rpg!! Its got a very interesting concept as far as the story and setting goes. It's also got some very memorable characters. However, the game definitely consists of more talking than it does action. Which is all good for me but if you're more into nonstop action you may wanna pass on this one!
  11. May 27, 2013
    I hated this game. The story didn't captivate me, the fact it was a first person shooter and it was very, very hard all contributed to my hatred. Games that are difficult should at least make me desire to complete it, well this doesn't. This is genuinely the only PS3 game I have willingly sold, and good luck to whoever has it now.
  12. May 15, 2013
    Played this on a friends PS3 and I was hooked from the start. Just sat there for the first 15 minutes listening to the music on the menu screen. Haven't been so excited about a music score since Bladerunner. The music is perfect for this game and creates a futuristic dystopian feel that stuck with me for ages. I couldn't get enough of it.

I loved getting points so that I could upgrade
    the Augmentations. One of my favourite ones is being able to jump from any height and create a shield around you so you don't die when you hit the floor. Great sound effects and even better on kick arse surround sound system.

I loved the visual design and the graphics were good.

I clocked this game at least three times as you can make different decisions that affect game direction.

As some have stated here the bosses were a bit of a let down but the overall awesomeness of this game compensated for that.

I also get the feeling that some people would have preferred this to be just another first person shooter like Battlefield or Call of Duty. I am SO glad this game isn't like that. I am bored to death of FPS. They are a dime a dozen and lack any creativity and most are premised on the flimsiest of story lines. Every man and his dog has brought one out cause they're cheap to make. BORING!

This is how a game should be made. Recently some production and publishing houses have been treating their consumers with utter contempt (EA I'm looking at you) so It's great to see Square Enix and Eidos take the time and care to make a kick arse game. Thank you guys!

I am so tempted to go and buy my own PS3 just so I can play this game.
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    A fantastic game, despite its meh graphics it still has nice environments, challenging combat, lenghty 25+ hours)and also a great storyline. Highly recommend it to players that like ARPG's and Stealth games
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    I was told this game had a good story- it doesn't. The story is dumb and lacks any depth. Characters are uninteresting. Gameplay is standard, if it flows quite poorly. Most upgrades are useless, and the environments are really generic cyberpunk.
  15. Mar 19, 2013
    incredible game,really a great surprise for me!deus ex is not for casual gamer, not for stupid people....mature story, great design, an incredible situation and a lots of costumization for Adam....this is the perfect example who say what a game must be! great great great game!
  16. Mar 11, 2013
    A first person shooter that takes lots of patience. The game started and all I could think was "So excited!" but after playing it for 10 minutes, I had so many bad things to say about it, but after noticing all these bad things, once the intro was over, everything changed, everything I had sad bad about it, was better, and then I started to enjoy it too much. It's the kinda of game that you think is the best game ever AFTER finishing it, not while playing it, so don't give up in the middle of it, or you'll never finish it. Expand
  17. Feb 27, 2013
    Dues Ex: Human Revolution is multi genre game. All blended very nicely making it exciting game.
    Action, RPG Stealth I enjoy them all. Deus Ex achieved them all greatly.
    The storyline isn't as exciting as Metal Gear Solid ones. But still meaning full. Plenty of quests side quests with cool challenges.
    I enjoyed collecting all trophies for this game. It encourage you to play it smart
    rather than going around shooting everyone insight. Expand
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    Deus Ex has a great atmosphere. I like the dark ambient. The gameplay is also very good. I also enjoyed the story but the endings are disappointing and the game was not as open as i expected. Still a good game.
  19. Feb 3, 2013
    Cool atmosphere for this Sci-Fi RPG
  20. Jan 28, 2013
    Seriously one of the worst and non realistic( i am to say that a bionic soldier wouldn't be like this) games i have ever played!!! My standards for this game(before playing it) was something like a super bionic elite soldier that would slay enemies like flies and would make big holes in everything that he touches. And what i got is a weak idiot that has only one clip of ammo and can t even lift a fridge with his bionic hands i mean every one can lift a fridge or just push it!!! Also it was very boring at the first 2 hours and the hero is weaker than a sick grandpa. Finally you can't combine stealth with bionic limbs so this game is invalid Expand
  21. Jan 12, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution had some very big shoes to fill. Not only did it have the pressure of hype because of the amazing trailers Square Enix and Eidos put out, but they had to live up to one of the most beloved games ever. After being disappointed already, I don't think Deus Ex fans would've been so kind if another sequel failed to meet their expectations. Luckily, I'm here to report that this game will go down in history as one of the absolute finest out there. If you want a meaty single player experience that offers something truly unforgettable, you better get yourself a copy right now. Expand
  22. Jan 1, 2013
    getting started was the hard part. once i was able to understand the significance of everything it became a great game. i absolutely loved it. the whole time the game has you begging for praxis points. the bosses were beatable, if you endured and watched your damage. the negative reviews could have been my words, but i am so glad that i stuck it through the hard parts, because the game is fun. i'm going to replay it and i want to find some cheats to get more praxis points, addicting and fun. there is more than one way to beat the missions and if you try different things, you'll be successful. Expand
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    The story is interesting enough and the soundtrack is fantastic, but the gameplay and graphics feel a bit dated. Pressing L3 to aim feels awkward, but other than that it's mostly fine. The graphics on the other hand make the game feel like it's is six years old. The game has a unique art style but graphics never rise above average. One annoyance in the game is that it's constantly switching from 1st person to 3rd person when you do things like climb a latter or take cover which makes me feel like the game should have been a 3rd person game. All in all Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good game, but could have been a great game if it weren't for dated graphics and gameplay. Expand
  24. Dec 20, 2012
    Just an all around great game. Great plot, setting,gameplay, audio, and graphics. Not a 10 because I felt the amount of gameplay time was on the low side compared to other games. Still worth at least a peek.
  25. Nov 19, 2012
    I know this game is incredible, that has a very good score and it entertained the most part of his players. But I didn´t like this game. Beautiful graphics, good HUD, but... I don´t know. The main history is a little bit boring for me, and it has some points that... I don´t know how to explain it. I know it´s a good Square Enix game, and has really good things, and I like the most part of the games I play, but this... No, I didn´t enjoy this game. Expand
  26. Nov 19, 2012
    Loved it loved it!! amazing story, world and characters. Although battles with bosses seemed out of a completely different game, still its very well integrated.
    Music its great, my respect to the developers
  27. Oct 31, 2012
    My personal Game Of The Year of 2011 alongside with Uncharted 3.

It's hard for me to finish a game as to many undisclosed factors are needed for me to be captivated from start to finish. Deus Ex : Human Revolution is one of those rare games that not only i enjoy the art and design along with the story, but i also played it like no other world exists besides the dark Earth despicted here
    due to the gameplay and combat machanics.

The soundtrack was also great and the main theme deserves some awards. Overall the Audio was top notch as i never noticed some weird or misplaced thing (you notice a bad audio programming or sound right away, but a good job in the Audio department turns the Audio almost invisible for the player)

There is room for improvement for the next installement.
    I hope the dialogs get to be more interactive and original. And that good idea of mixing dialog scenes with gameplay have me jumping on the seat and scratching my head on why didn't they developed it with even more interactivity, and allowing the gamer to make use of the habilities of the character.
    The textures overall were just average with some things much better that others.

P.S - I didn't found a bug or a serious glitch... and that makes want to award Square Enix with a medal for the respect shown towards the consumergamer that some other publishers and studios lack these days. Even if that category shouldn't be allowed to exist, the truth is that with Skyrim winning the GOTY of 2011 (and still gathering awards and new users every week) that category was created.
  28. Oct 16, 2012
    Long, complex, detailed, an exciting world to explore, a story that grabs you and wraps, which never loses interest during the many hours it takes, a freedom to resolve situations huge with a seamless gameplay, Deus ex: Human Revolution is round.
  29. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is definitely a must-buy, especially if you like sci-fi. The game has a great plot, a terrific atmosphere and a fresh cyberpunk setting not explored in gaming many times. The gamplay is awesome, as it is very open and you can approach every level the way you want.
    If you like sci-fi, you'll love this game.
  30. Aug 10, 2012
    I have not played any of the other installments of the deus ex series. Playing this makes me want to play the other installments. If you are considering this game buy it. By now the game only costs $20, that means buy it. BUY THIS GAME. It still is on my top 10 games iv'e ever played. The only flaw in this game is the boss battles. They are terrible but don't take away from this great experience. Expand
  31. Aug 6, 2012
    RPG's are a dime a dozen these days, the best of which soak up very significant hours of game time. Human Revolution, a prequel to the 2002 revered and innovative new breed of RPG, is a very ambitious game. Set in a futuristic cyberpunk universe, Human Revolution nails down moral quandaries based on the breakthroughs of augmentation science. This is where the enhancements are drawn in as Adam Jensen needs them to save his life after an unexpected ambush by a quintet of mercenaries. By using praxis points and accumulating credits from enemies, numerous locations and hidey holes- you can distribute these powers to gain perks and abilities in a similar way to any RPG. So Human Revolution isn't in context a revolutionary game considering the RPGs on the shelves already. However, it's one of the most immersive. You are welcomed from the start as doctors and scientists are working of the progressive technologies, so you get the sense of the impact of augmentations off the bat. There's also a staggering amount of superfluous information gathered from newspapers, Ebooks, e-mails and through conversations with individuals. Each draw you right in and immerse you in this well wrought world. What isn't so impressive are the boss battles. They all feel cheap, as you usually need to evade fire, find cover and then load bullets into the boss. Also these boss battles really detract from the freedom that the game seemingly wants you to feel considering the wealth of options avaliable. Also the AI is lackadaisical, better in numbers and never feel challenging- which can be said of the whole game. The facial textures also look poor, failing to show significant detail and looking considerably garish, though the art style is gorgeous. The characters are also plain and dull, as they seem to lack any form of psychotic edge or charm that would make them memorable. So generally Human Revolution has problem areas, but it's also a hugely interesting game with content that is weighty enough to quell the weaker points of the game. Also the augmentations are great to use and the game feels satisfying no matter how you play. Expand
  32. Jul 30, 2012
    I buy it, becouse this game "free" world. So, we have on 50% - 2 city, first city = second city, and i sure, third city = first) Gameplay so worst, and this game is game without patrons, yes, action shooter with stels and open world without patrons. I delete this from my console, on 50%, and look for seld it, but, who this buy? Super bad game =(
  33. Jul 29, 2012
    It is a truly remarkable experience which takes you around the globe to uncover a conspiracy which holds a lot of answers to the human race and the path it is treading towards. It is set in a dark, seedy, cyberpunk world that is dominated by powerful corporations, which have more power than the government. Sarif Industries, a powerful corporation that manufactures augmentations taking people past their physical limits albeit only the ones that can afford it, was attacked by a group of mercenaries AKA "The Tyrants" who seek the typhoon explosive system (TES) which is doubtlessly the most destructive augmentation devised so far. In that attack, Adam Jensen, former cop turned Head of Security at Sarif was brutally attacked which resulted in him getting several augmentations to save his life. It is time to start the Human Revolution as Jensen in an epic RPG prequel to Deus Ex, set in a similar dystopian world to uncover the truth and time to make Decisions, Decisions and Decisions..
    This, people, is what an exemplary FPS game is.
  34. Jul 3, 2012
    The boss fights in this game are terrible. It takes no skill to defeat most of them. The rest of the game if fine but the boss fights bring it down because they are easier then the first level.
  35. Jun 24, 2012
    I would love to give this game a perfect 10 just for the story but an 8 because of 1 thing and it's a big one they give you an illusion of choice (not in terms of story but in terms of gameplay) on my 1st play through I did stealth and ok worked well 2nd play through I did kill everything and that did not work it was impossible and believe me I like a good challenge but it was just unfair this game fails we're the original deus ex and mgs4 succeeds in we're it gives you multiple ways to solve a problem for new players do stealth in all playthroughs Expand
  36. Jun 22, 2012
    I absolutely love Deus Ex: human revolution.deus ex hr is my favorite game so far.now I know it's 2012 and this game came out last year but I had to come on here and speak my mind of this masterpiece of a game.the rpg/shooter /stealth mechanics are top notch and feel great on a ps3 controller,also I must add is that deus ex looks waaaay better on ps3 than xbox 360.now there are some bugs here and there, but nothing game breaking that I have seen so far.this is a must buy to anyone who likes a great game. Expand
  37. May 21, 2012
    This game is so damn ugly. Adam Jensen sounds like he got cancer in his vocal cords and lost a lung. the orange just makes me want to pull my eyes out and fill the sockets with acid. stealth is pretty damn bad. you take one step and you get shot up with lead. You will only like this game if you have autism.
  38. May 16, 2012
    Meh.

Deus Ex was such a huge open game, I often had a hard time figuring out what to do and where to go if I'm honest. This, the sequel, was an average attempt at this. Everything was overly simplified and once again a great PC game is dumbed down for the console users. Where are the challenging intelligent games now? Not everyone who plays games is remedial.
    I'll add to this, I saw the
    tailors and this game looked great, features like being able to look at people and analyze their weak spots, like previously broken bones and exploit them. In this game you just walk up to people and press the same button every time and do the same action.
    The ending was also hugely disappointing, an army of zombies you can not morally attack and an easy final boss you can shoot through a glass wall.
  39. May 10, 2012
    Masterpiece! I guess, it's the best games ever i played in PS3 right now. Best graphics, best shooting system, upgrade system, and many more. The non repetitive gameplay and story makes me want to play it more.
  40. May 8, 2012
    An incredibly solid single player experience. I bought Deus Ex ignorant to the series and to reviews, didn't know what I was getting when I was using my best-buy gift card. And holy crap am I glad I bought it. The game at it's core is like a hybrid of regular oldschool FPS, stealth gameplay, and a bit of objective based "quest"-system. (you can get optional side-quests to complete in different areas of the game) Every mission or goal always has optional paths and ways to complete it, and depending on how you upgrade your character, you may not always be able to access the other options. you really can end up playing the game completely different from your friends. Especially if you decide to upgrade different weapons than others. You can go in guns blazing, or sneak around like Solid snake, taze people and hide their bodies, or even silently kill them with the pistol and silencer. The story itself is engrossing, and does a great job of portraying a culture war between cybernetic people, and anti-cybernetic people, in a way that's compelling and never draws a clear good-guy / bad-guy (except for of course, the MAIN badguys/terroists, lol) By the end of the game, I was hacking into every computer, and reading ever email and piece of news, just to soak it all in. Graphics are nice, crisp and sleek, with an incredible soundtrack to match the games cyber-punk future. The only down-side is that it ends. Honestly, one of the best single player games I've played in a REALLY long time. Expand
  41. Apr 14, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a great RPG / FPS hybrid that features a lot of freedom in the way you can play. The graphics, while not outstanding, are atmospheric and the art design has an immersive quality to it. Likewise, the soundtrack hits all the right "Bladerunner" synth notes and instills a ton of ambiance. The plot of the game is very interesting and the cast does a great job with the script. Gameplay-wise, Deus Ex is very solid but hardly ever spectacular. It definitely feels like an RPG first and an action game second.There are also a few faults that restrain the game from becoming a true classic. Chief among these would be the weak enemy A.I and Boss fights that feel like they've been ripped from an entirely different game. Overall, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an excellent title that will delight most players throughout it's lengthy duration. Just don't expect a sc-fi Call of Duty or you'll be disappointed... And a moron. Expand
  42. Apr 5, 2012
    It has a great art style, but mixed gameplay. Stealth works just okay, but the shooting is really bad. There really isn't a lot to do in the amazingly well-crafted towns, but the sidequests which are available are fun and have good story.
  43. Mar 13, 2012
    Gah, just loved this game. I've only recently discovered the 'cyber-punk' genre (through william gibson's sprawl trilogy) and found this game was right up my alley. A very cool yet easy to understand story, plenty of interesting sidequests, and the ability to go through the main quests in a variety of ways providing a good amount of replay value. My only issue with the game is that some of the augments seem to be supremely underpowered no matter what playstyle you use, and that the boss fights were a spike in difficulty (either too easy or hard, depending on your approach). Also, unless you are really into exploring and ready text (which I am fine with), you may miss out on a lot of the storyline. I'm extremely glad I checked this game out (having not played any of the other deus ex titles). I say that honestly, and am in no way influenced by a CASIE augment.... at least I don't think so.... Expand
  44. Mar 10, 2012
    Execution of 95% of DE:HR is perfect. So why, Eidos!? Why the late 90's, brain-dead boss fights? Why build the rest of the game around stealth and skill, then create boss fights that negate stealth and skill? It's like going to a maths exam, where the teacher confesses they couldn't be bothered trying to make the exam challenging so they made half the exam about chemistry. These boss fights ruined an otherwise beautifully developed game. Expand
  45. Mar 7, 2012
    Awesome game. This is my first game from this series and I was glad I played it. The graphic and audio is top notch. One of the best visuals I seen in a while. The game has their own style of cyber punk and works really well. The game allows you to choose how you want to play the game. You can sneak through the whole game like Snake in Metal Gear Solid if you choose or go in there and start killing every enemy like Rambo if you choose. It doesn't limit the amount of ways you can enter into a room (like break a wall or hacking a door) and it's just fun to have all these abilities to try out. I played both stealth and run n gun the enemies and they are both fun. You have many different abilities to upgrade that will suit the style you want to play and each upgrade makes you feel like you actually have a upgrade. If you're a trophy hunter like me, than their is a fair about of trophies that are easy to get with a single play through. I highly recommend this game. This game is worth your time and money. Expand
  46. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Deus ex human revolution is easily one of my favourite games this generation. I felt like I was back in the 90's where places felt like places and not corridors with conveniently placed walls. For once, and this is something that rarely happens in modern video games, I didn't play just to be "rewarded with a cutscene"(like Assassin's Creed). The simple act of "walking" or "exploring" a building is interesting. Problem solving is really effective, you can have multiple ways to achieve the same goal, and previous decisions would develop different developments (especially for some secondary missions). Replay value is also a factor, I'm playing the game for a second time and I discovered new things, new paths I didn't notice the first time. Story is intriguing, but somehow I didn't get what was going on in the latter half of the game and Adam feels less and less human ( I mean he doesn't show any personality whatsoever), but I think that was a design choice proving that he's losing his human side. The ending though end the mythology arc but doesn't provide resolutions to the characters. I hope this game gets a sequel, expanding the good sides and improving the few downsides, especially a more character-driven plot simpler to follow. Expand
  47. Mar 5, 2012
    This was a difficult game to score because the first few hours of this game were amazing! It was a refreshing change from what I normally play. The art design, story and Adam Jenson especially were outstanding. However I felt the game became repetitive as I progressed. The scenarios, environments and gameplay became too similar after a while. Also this game feels a little bit old fashioned. It has long loading times and it loads at times you wouldn't expect it to. The gameplay too felt a bit old school. Small things such as aiming with the R3 button and that when your in first person you can't see any of your body just felt a bit old. The graphics engine also is dated because the game looks as though it could have come out 3 years ago. But what really frustrated me about this game were the size of the environments and the fact that you had to revisit them later on. The cities to be honest are tiny and empty. You don't feel interactive with them either. It's a shame because the story of this game is amazing and although the gameplay gets a bit repetitive its still fun. I really loved this game at the start, I would have given it a 9.5/10 it felt like something really special. But after about 15 hours of the game it starts to get old and a bit dull apart from the story. Its still a great game though but maybe they should have made it shorter. Expand
  48. Mar 4, 2012
    There aren't many games on the market that can pull off stealth gameplay successfully and in an entertaining manner, but this game is certainly one of them. In fact if you aren't a fan of stealth you can just avoid it all together if you wish and attack the enemy head on. The game world is dark and gritty, with a deep storyline and a host of side-quests and background stories to keep you entertained. The are multiple ways and paths to achieve your objectives, with differing results. The rpg-style levelling system is very enjoyable, unlocking new interesting and very useful powers of your choice as you progress, which keeps the experience fresh.

However the boss battles are a big letdown, particularly with the final boss. In addition to this the ending(s) are also disappointing, and these issues stop the game from becoming a masterpiece. That said, this remains a brilliant game and is a must for fans of action-rpgs and sci-fi.
  49. Feb 28, 2012
    Ah, sweet revenge. "0" seems like such a fanboy score. 'Oh I kinda didn't like it, well then I'm gonna give it a zero and ignore anything good about the game', you might think. Fair enough, but what about a game that I HATE. And I mean HATE. Pure frustration and it only gets worse as it goes along. I love giving games this bad a zero. It feels so good.
  50. Feb 25, 2012
    Very good game. The game play is fun and I do not notice any long loading times that some people keep going on about. However, my one gripe is that the graphics in the cinematic segments don't seem to be polished enough. Apart from this, a good game.
  51. Feb 19, 2012
    i didnt like this game the best part about it i found was the beutiful areas and great graphics but other than that i found it to be dull and boring. the story did not interest me at all and it is just too slow paced your health goes away so fast that you are almost always forced to sneak everywhere and hope you dont get discovered but that just takes too long and feels as if to drag on. this game was not for me and i recomend you rent before you buy to see if you like it Expand
  52. Feb 8, 2012
    I like this game, not loved but liked. Graphically it looks good with very few glitches and the gameplay wirks well as a first person shooter and I like the way it goes third person when you go in cover. Then theres the leveling up which is well its dissapointing. When you get your robot body you'll be surprised by how weak you are, only being able to fall 2 metres without dying and two bullets before dying. You then have to level up your character but everything needs levelling up it seems stupid. One thing you can't upgrade is the amount of ammo in the game, it's silly. I know it jensen can only take 2 bullets before dying but why are all the enemies only carrying seven bullets you'll constantly be running out and loose everything in the boss fights which are stupid. you only feel badass at the end of the game which is pointless because thats the end of the game, try it though. The story didn't really interest me but had some really nice wow moments but not enough. more people should have played this game it's only £12 now theres no excuse not to buy it. Expand
  53. Jan 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having enjoyed playing the previous Deux Ex games many moons ago, I really looked forward to this latest iteration. While not perfect, the overall experience was very good. The game play was varied (compared to other games) insofar as that you could choose to sneak around or go in all guns blazing. However, going back and over all the time wasn't particularly enjoyable, the AI wasn't great and the boss fights were too easy. I believe the boss fights were farmed out to an external developer and it showed. I found the first one the hardest until I found the stupid way of defeating him by hiding behind a wall in an area he never entered for some reason and wait for him to blow himself up. The voice acting was good and I liked the combat mechanics. Hacking seemed a bit silly until I got used to it and the augmentations system could have been tweaked to make it more difficult to get all the ones that I ended up with! All in all, an enjoyable game that I'd recommend to fans of the series. Expand
  54. Jan 26, 2012
    I can't give Deus Ex any more or any less than an 8 rating. This is a really fun game with a lot of replay value but there are areas of the game that really should have been improved upon as they can ruin what the game does offer. Lets start with the good - the game generally speaking is pretty solid without software bugs and the game gives lots of choices to the player and this by far is its strength. Few games today allow an actual gamer to use their own intelligence anymore and almost all games are quite reactionary. This game is nice in that it allows both player strategy and skill to shine through equally and the end result is fantastic immersion. The downside of the game is various small omissions in attention to detail. Although the gameplay is glitch free some things were overlooked that cause the player unintended grief. For example it is fun to attack an enemy then lure him to the police in the city and they shoot him but if you move the body the police come after you. Another example you mistakingly shoot your weapon in the city at nothing and a mob or police come for you but in other areas it is totally ok to kill innocents. This seems to be controlled by area of vision of the entities rather than the characters themselves. The result is replaying certain areas for no real reason which is not fun. Perhaps its largest flaw in design however is that it is a stealth based game and in many areas if you have built a stealth character it will not matter and you will be forced to fight. There is not enough sneaking areas in certain parts of the game which forces combat. The way around this is rather lame, opening doors on enemies, shooting them then closing the door. This is a rather lame bypass that exists. That being said this is still a great game one step above most but unfortunately not a perfect example of what a game should be after over 10 years development. Still, I strongly recommend as this game blends open world and linear story with player choice in character second to none Expand
  55. Jan 24, 2012
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
  56. Jan 20, 2012
    Overall a great game, really fun to play. After beating the game, I don't have the need to replay the game. It is insanely repetitive, and i got kinda bored half way through. Graphics are slightly dated and none of the perks give you a great advantage. Character models and voice acting are terrible. Upgrading weapons is awesome, although the game encourages you to sneak around and not kill anyone. Hacking is fun, but tedious after a while. Bought this game for $30 and feel like i still got cheated a bit. Expand
  57. Jan 14, 2012
    I would LOVE! love love LOVE! to play this game to the end, however, a random bug appears to make it crash at an average location everytime, therefore unable to allow me to reach my destination. From what i've played from the beginning, after the break to failing to save the hostage, it has been a thrilling game. i just want more of it.
  58. Dec 26, 2011
    The game is pretty good. I had never played any of the previous Deus Ex and the reason I picked this one up was because of the cool character and the emphasis on stealth. I love a good stealth game and this one does not disappoint. The sandbox style RPG is welcome since this allow room for multiple paths to take for any given objective. The story was OK but I felt there could be more elements to the plot than just the basic Aug vs Anti-Aug. Some minor bugs here and there but overall a good game. Expand
  59. Dec 20, 2011
    This game has a perfect balance of freedom and storyline, seeing as you can run around the city and do side tasks. The hacking can get a little repetitive, but besides that the gameplay is great. The graphics are excellent and the storyline makes you want to keep playing the game. I absolutely loved it.
  60. Dec 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has two sides.
    On the one hand, it has a great, deep Storyline and a great customizable gameplay.
    But on the other Hand, It's Graphics aren't up to date and the promise that you could "play as you want" couldn't be fulfilled by it's developer Eidos.
    If you want to play aggressively, you will find out that this is nearly impossible due to the fact that ammo is scarce and Adam Jenson can't take much damage.
    Because of that, you are forced in a stealth role, which is why I gave it an 8 and not a 9
  61. Nov 24, 2011
    If you enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 4 you will love this game.There are multiple different ways you can play through from honey badger mode (kill everything) to pacifist. so there is replay value.It does not have the strongest story but the game play makes up for it.
  62. Nov 23, 2011
    One of the best games of the year. A FPS with a brain (and an augmented one at that). There is a real sense of vision here that is absent from most other game releases. HR does justice to the first game although I'm one of those people who also loved Invisible War so I may be biased here. Flaws like a bad ending and a drab protagonist (I know noir characters are required to be deadpan but, really, Jensen goes too far) don't keep Deus Ex from soaring like Icarus (the mythological character not the in-game tec) except without the crashing and burning part. Expand
  63. Nov 22, 2011
    A really interesting game with a lot of good ideas and an exciting cyberpunk atmosphere. But the shooting is still disappointing and the there are some difficulty up- and downturns that shouldn't be in it.
  64. Nov 21, 2011
    Deus Ex 3 is a very competent, worthy addition to the Deus Ex series, and appropriately it stumbles a little bit in its execution just like both of its predecessors. (weaker points) Deus Ex 3 is essentially a shooter/stealth/RPG style game. The way these elements are balanced does not always feel advantageous, however. In DE1 and 2 the stealth was the great equalizer, dependent almost completely on skill and useful for everyone who played the game. In DE3, the great equalizer shifts from stealth to hacking. Stealth is no longer essential due to the new cover system that allowed me to eliminate even the toughest of foes pretty easily (except bosses) with even a pistol, much less a fully upgraded pistol can clear an entire room of armored enemies in no time. This is also a result of the faulty AI. Enemies do not effectively flank you or root you out of hiding places. I love sneaking around en entire squad of enemies with touching a single one, or only putting a few to sleep and never getting spotted, but it generally felt futile and pointless to even bother when I can just waste the entire room in a few moments and move on. It's not balanced. On top of that, hacking is overwhelmingly common. In DE1 and 2, hacking was a fairly small aspect of the overall experience. It literally boiled down to pushing a button and watching a bar fill, that's how you hacked. In DE3 it's a full-blown mini-game that isn't even very good in the first place, and it's a requirement at some point or another in almost every mission in the game. The developers halfheartedly side-step this with items that can be bought or found that automatically and quickly hack anything you use them on, but that completely defeats the purpose of spending any points on the hacking skill trees. The hacking defeats itself, and always feels unneeded but omnipresent nonetheless, like a lazy roommate who never takes out the trash and isn't even a cool guy to begin with. The dialogue doesn't help either, there is way too much chatter in this game from the get-go and most of it is padding around the events that actually matter. It was a challenge not to skip almost every line of it, and I didn't feel like I gained very much from listening to every last little thought and problem from every last little extraneous nobody that needs my help, then disappears immediately and permanently after you've helped them. Not very rewarding or interesting. Also, the boss fights are terrible and force you into viciously difficult direct combat situations with no alternatives. They exist as anomalies, and not pleasant ones. (stronger points) So for all the missteps the folks at Eidos Montreal managed to make a game that is overall pretty fun. The environments are gorgeous and beg to be explored, the sound design is nearly perfect, and there is a fully featured inventory system that organizes itself. The level design is pretty consistent with DE1 but I felt it was a little better in some places. The character progression through praxis points that are obtained and spent on various skills can be incredibly neat and fun to play around with, if a little stilted somehow both towards and against hacking. The various skills and abilities have been streamlined into general gameplay better so you don't have to manually engage every little thing to use them. I recommend the game to anyone who was a fan of the first two, or just like diverse hybrid-style games with edgy art styles. It's hardly perfect, but it manages to be fun enough that it doesn't really matter. Expand
  65. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is great! I only had a few problems with it. the controls got some getting used to, after playing COD and Battlefield all the time, this was a huge and annoying change. another problem was that when you look down at your feet, there's nothing there. also i didn't like how you can only use your arm blades during a cinematic melee take down and not just run around with them stabbing people. so those few things annoyed me a little but over all the story is great and the game play is amazing. i do recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  66. Nov 20, 2011
    Excellence package, this is the first time I play this series and wow it was go good. I love the story and gameplay, and the way they let you explore at your own will. The bottom line is "Can't wait for the next one from same studio"
  67. Nov 18, 2011
    Want a sci-fi action RPG? Look no further. Deus Ex Human Revolution is easily one of the greatest action rpgs released this entire generation. It is deep, long has an excellent story, tons of variety in areas and an absolutely kick ass combat/stealth system. Whoever wants to play as an epic super spy but do so in a well designed game and universe needs to put this game at the top of their list.
  68. Nov 12, 2011
    Having played through the entire game I would like to express how disappointing this was after reading such promising reviews. The game-play is a mixture of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid 4 but fails to reach the potential of either of these games. It is well polished but lacks any variety in setting and moves you from an office building, to a warehouse, to another office etc. You start in Detroit which comprises of a few main streets and back streets to explore. At one promising point you go to Shanghai and a movie clip shows a sprawling city to explore - however you also get about two or three streets to explore. Never at one point do you feel like you will move out of a corridor or narrow street into something larger. The cities and offices all look basically the same as do the police/security guards and all you do is move from building to building.

Splinter cell succeeded in this type of gameplay by placing you at the door of building and providing you with wealth of stealth gear to work you own way around. In some ways Deus Ex is similar but your inventory is always full and you always have just one bar of energy to use for stealth which gets you nowhere. Praxis updates are good idea where you get to choose new augmentations but you never have enough to put them to best use. Stealth when used is cool and also taking down guards using Typhoon or combat moves is also addictive. Boss battles are too easy - I took out most by getting close to them and using Typhoon a couple of times.

Hacking is quote cool to start off with and then becomes a chore. As does reading email on every computer you pass. The movies clips between chapters are very pixelated, the sky for instance is made of boxes of tray and black. Looks like something from the PS2.

If you haven't played Metal Gear Solid 4 then do so as is one of the best stealth, action, story game out there. I can only think that most critics who rated this game a 9 have not played this game or forgotten about it. It's what Deus Ex should have aimed for and if they did they failed.
  69. Nov 12, 2011
    I can't describe the movement that eidos and enix did with this game. pure false hype. I expected a pure deus ex game, but all i can see is a bad story, poor graphics and gameplay. nothing to compare with the great cgi cinematics that we can see in the trailers. All I can say is very bad enix and eidos, very bad.
  70. Nov 11, 2011
    The story and gameplay are at times jaw dropping. The boss fights however are lackluster and really drag a game that should be a 9 or higher, are unforgiveable. This game allows you to play the way you want to play. The graphics and colors are ripped right from blade runner. The one draw back due to the long development cycle is the character models are a bit dated but forgiveable. Welcome Back Deus Ex. Now who wants an HD remake of the originial? Expand
  71. Nov 10, 2011
    Picked this up right before Modern Warfare 3. Needless to say I returned MW3 after playing this. (ok, I kept it for the multiplayer, but you get the point). If you're debating on it, don't. You won't be disappointed. It's one of those rare titles that gives you hope that not all video games are for whiny teenagers screaming into mics.
  72. Nov 10, 2011
    Very interesting game let down by only 1 thing, the anticipation!! this thing was hailed as the best game of the year, and im not calling it bad at all! But didnt match the expectations accredited to it, liked it alot but wish I didnt buy on release day, the price crashed for whatever reason, its now £15 brand new! still gets an 8 from me
  73. Nov 9, 2011
    Very nice game. Compelling story backed up with good gameplay and solid RPG element that is not overly strong for those who just want to play. I enjoyed the stealth play the most in this game, although it may get repetetive nothing beats sneaking around ducts and popping a guy from 100m away when his mates aren't looking. The lack of wepon variety and the carrying limit you have emplaced on you is annoying however and shortens the games life. Expand
  74. Nov 9, 2011
    The original Deus Ex will always be known as a great FPS RPG. Deus Ex: Human Revalution is a great game, but is not as great as the original. The biggining of the game starts out with your company under attack by robots things (Trying not to spoil anything so the story may be off) And you set off to try to find out why they did it. The futuristic cyber punk vibe adds a great sense of atmosphere and great graphics. The only problem I have with the graphics is that I wish they used alittle less yellow, I got acouple head achs from the yellow everything. The combat and the multiple choice system is great and works perfectly but I wish their was alittle more enfluence on the end of the game in what you do in the rest of the game. The ending was not up to the standerds of the Deus Ex series. The ending was boring and a disapointment.
    This is singleplayer only so I would suggest renting this game.
  75. Nov 6, 2011
    A game worthy of the Deus Ex title, Human Revolution is a very, very good game. My biggest gripe with it though is the boss battles, how can a game that says that you can play how you want can have such out of place bosses, thats not the Deus Ex I know. That's why it doesn't get a perfect score from me, everything else though is perfect in my eyes.
  76. Nov 5, 2011
    If you could take a FPS, a RPG, a cover based shooter, a Metal gear game and combine them, you would get Deus ex human revolution. the result of 10 years of videogames evolution has inspired this;which is, in my opinion, the best game of the year. The game nails it when it come to atmosphere and Theme. Everyone around you is obssesed with augmentations and **** Being Adam Jensen, the coolest protagonist i'v seen in a long time in a videogame, you allways feel like you are truly a badass, with all those augmentations that can be purchased and upgraded. The game is always encouraging you to explore everything it has to offer, and do it YOUR way. The game treats you as a person with intelligence, rather then a brainless moron that needs linearity and handholding all the way through. You CAN clear out an entire room of soldiers with a giant rifle, Or you could sneak like a bollock in a air vent and slip by, leaving a lot of those question marks that MGS idiot soldiers used to have above their heads.The problem is that the game doesn't excell at anything parcticularly, besides the awsome voiceacting of the new sex symbol Adam Jensen, but manages to combine everything into something unique and successful none the less. The story is interesting, although a bit too wide and unfocused, and there is allways a new concpiracy around the corner, so much that you sometimes begin to think that the developers played Metal gear solid a bit too much for their own good. The FPS elements aren't something to brag about as well, but they are still solid. The graphics are solid as well and, again, don't excell or push new boundaries. But you know what, I'm okay with that. The developers realised that you can't make a perfect game, but what you CAN do is give them the freedom to choose their playstyle, their path and social choices. a lot of the time there will be those minor annoyences that niggle at you here and there. but by the end of the game, and trust me on this one, you really wouldn't be able to care less. Expand
  77. Nov 4, 2011
    Game of the year. Great story. Great gameplay. Like all truly great FPSs and RPGs it makes you feel superhuman. And the hackneyed scifi/action movie dialogue just makes it more fun!
  78. Nov 2, 2011
    one of the better RPG's ive played in awhile . a solid story and it plays abit like metal Gear Solid except in first person view . the game rewards you for being stealthy but if you want to just go in guns a blazin you can do that too. so you can play the game how you want too. there is also some really well done side quest that are actaully pretty long. there is also a good amount of guns to use . upgrading your character is very deep and you can unlock all kinds of cool stuff like invisability , punch through weak walls , and all kinds of other stuff. the game has a decent length to it to finish it . around 20-30 hours depending on if you take on alot of side quests or not or if you just blaze through shooting every thing. the game also has 4 differnt endings so there is replay value. the visauls are alittle mixed . the back ground graphics look pretty good and some of the charicter models look ok but alot of them just look bland . if you want a fun stealth based RPG then deus EX is surely worth getting. Expand
  79. Oct 27, 2011
    This game has some very nice features, such as the mods and the story line. That being said the graphics could be alot nicer (very black and yellow), the time that you could use some of the mods is very limited.... , you cant go back to certain areas to use newly acquired mods. Unlike GTA games where u travel all around the world once u leave an area its done...... I picked up this game for 50 dollars when it was new, its not worth anywhere near that much, more like a 30 dollar game tops..... Expand
  80. Oct 26, 2011
    I have been playing games for a long time now and have played all types of games, from RPG to FPS and others... and I have to say this this is the worst piece of crap I have ever played. As a shooter, it completely fails, with ridiculously bad weapons. As a story, it's so basic and un-interesting it's not even funny. The level are so badly designed that it's a pain to get oriented in them, the graphics are so early 2000. Bref. This game could have been good in 2000 or 2001, but today it's just a horrible horrible game. don't believe the hype. Expand
  81. Oct 21, 2011
    After all the fuss that has been made regarding this game I purchased it and expected big things however I was ultimately left thinking what could have been. There's no doubting that Deus Ex has a hell of a lot going for it and in many ways I was impressed by what was on offer but I just felt it lacked that something special to set it apart from everything else. The story is captivating and intrigiuing throughout and will constantly have you engrossed as the game progresses. The game begins with Adam Jensen at Safir Industries implementing security preparations however the building is suddenly attacked by heavily armed, augmented soldiers who leave you seriously injured, resulting in the only way Adam can survive is by himself having extensive augmentation. As you search for those responsible for the devastating attack you become embroiled a full blown conspiracy. Gameplay is very open and the fact you can decide how you approach the game is ofcourse only going to be a positive thing. Lethal or non-lethal mainly being the options however it's far more rewarding to use the stleath route making things really challenging rather than going in all guns blazing! Also, the ingame interaction is a genius idea and possibly the closest thing genre-wise to Mass Effect. The cover system also changes from first person, to third person. The main gripe I have with the game asides from the twitchy AI, which at times can spoil things, is the out of place boss battles. Not that their bad, the problem is for a game with such elements of choice every boss fight ends up in a firefight, no stealth or anything which contradicts eveyrthing else than the game does. Visually its a dark yet gorgeous open world and the game delivers a rich, atmospheric experience. By the time I was finished Deus Ex as i've said I appreciated what the game done and tried to do because in many ways it succeeds more than it fails however I felt it was a missed oppertunity. You will no doubt go back and play through again as its replay value is superb as each method in how you play the game will have you returning to choose a different path to see how things pan out. I would certainly recommend Deus-Ex: Human Revolution its an experience that will have you thinking about the game long after completion but, and maybe it's because I was expecting more from the game, I felt as though they really could have been onto something special. Expand
  82. Oct 15, 2011
    I'll Make it Very Simple For you.......... "BUY THIS GAME!" You won't be disappointed unless your a COD OR HALO FAN. If you are a Deus ex Fan you might be disappointed that it isn't as revolutionary as the original but it is the best sequel or by story wise prequel.WAY BETTER THAN INVISIBLE WAR. Pros: Amazing Level Design Great game play "smooth and flexible" Awesome! Soundtrack AMAZING atmosphere
    Amazing Story and best ending leading to the original deus ex!
    Replay Value is very very HIGH.
    Great art design and satisfying Graphics.

Cons:
    Lousy Boss Battles
    Not as atmospheric as the Original
    For Consoles "BAD A.I. (if you play it on the easier settings)" For PC "Does not Fully support direct x 11 technology"

BOTTOM LINE
    Apart from the boss battles the other cons don't seem to be a big problem.GET it! Or else Jensen will get you!Easily one of the best games of 2011.
  83. Oct 12, 2011
    I was very excited that we'd finally be getting a current-gen Deus Ex game. For the most part, Human Revolution is an amazing game. The mechanics, graphics, environments, voice acting (Sarif steals the show, in my opinion) are top-notch. A few minor complaints did hinder my experience to some extent, though. I was disappointed with how confined the world seemed. While it was visually and audibly stunning, it never really felt large and open to me, which is what I was expecting. Also, the waypoint/radar system was very frustrating on the hard difficulty. You'll see what I mean when you play it. I also thought that Deus Ex: HR acts like its a lot smarter than it is - meaning, the AI is pretty foolish and the "choices" are often times shallow and obvious. The ending(s) were also a disappointment, but the payoff is in the gameplay itself, which is excellent. Expand
  84. Oct 10, 2011
    I personally felt that this game was a masterpiece in the way it went about telling its story. Graphically it impresses. The flaws I found I felt were minor enough that they didn't deter from the game play, which itself, is very enjoyable. I never got tired of seeing the cut scenes when you knock out or kill someone. There probably isn't as many side missions as there could have been, and I felt like they wanted to tell too much detail thru the pda's you find laying around or computers you hack, but there was just something unique and special about playing this.. It actually made me enjoy the single player experience again, something I've lacked lately. Definitely try this, at least give a rent. Expand
  85. Oct 9, 2011
    Played through twice on hardest level. As good as it gets. My fav game in years. Previously mass effect 2 was my fav but now this is. Very underated and I cant believe I see it already discounted in local game shop.
  86. Oct 8, 2011
    When a franchise started in the early 00's is continued into the next decade with such dismal results you can only blame the people at the top. Poor choices were made at every level of this game, from handling, to graphics, to voice acting. They come together to create a highly pretensions plot following unlikeable characters in a universe that seems unfamiliar despite it being the third in the series. Disappointed. Expand
  87. Oct 5, 2011
    Wow, I thought I was playing a MACINTOSH when I first started to play, just felt stale from the beginning. I had so many bug issues that I actually couldnt finish the game. I was very disappointed with the gameplay, I did feel it had great ideas but horrible execution overall. I would not recommend this game.
  88. Oct 5, 2011
    PLUS: Engaging plot, setting and characters. Well done gameplay, easy to pick up. You gain XP having fun with the enviroment and the characters. Amazing art style and beautiful music. Frustration free. Interesting and easy way to upgrade your character. The side quests are good, well written and relevant to the setting. The way you act or resolve some of the missions can influence the story and the fate of some characters.
    MINUS: The AI in most of the case are extremely dumb. You can pick up vending machines and use them as mobile hiding place when you are wandering around offices and police stations punching or killing peoples. The world is small and limited if compared to others adventure RPG. The end game path too similar to a Quiz game. You're not free to disagree with some big characters and you don't have the power to choose or do what you really want to do in the game.
  89. Oct 4, 2011
    First, I played the game on the hardest difficulty setting, so my review is for the 'Give me Deus Ex' version. And, I loved it. It's Shadowrun meets Metal Gear as a first person shooter. The storyline, while not the best, is certainly good enough to keep you intrigued. I dig sci-fi, futuristic stuff anyway, so if you're like me, you'll probably dig it too. The character models aren't the best, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay. I have heard some gripes about the stealth control being imperfect, but I never had a problem with it. At one point, I stealth-killed a bunch of guards in a room, leaving one who was just looking out a window. I then quietly walked up behind him, pulled out my 10mm and shot him in the head. Blood splattered on the window and he went down like a rag doll. It felt and looked great. The two cities you spend a lot of time in; Detroit and Hengsha, are both great. I enjoyed just slowly walking through them, looking at everything. I overheard a bunch of conversations (a unique way to get information I thought) I heard dogs barking, shots fired, aircraft flying overhead, and the other ambient noise makes you feel like you're really there. This is especially true if you play the game with surround sound, which I did (I'm a super-geek. I'm not rich, but I did fork out the cash for an HD t.v. and a surround sound system specifically for games). The cover and fire mechanics work well. I never had a problem with them or had a cheap death because my character did something I didn't want him to. The one thing I didn't care for is the boss fights. They were sort of lame and, for me, a little hard (probably because I had the hard difficulty setting and all my augments were for stealth and hacking). This really is a great glimpse of the future of gaming and definitely worth buying. A must-buy when it it is cheaper. Expand
  90. Oct 3, 2011
    Looks great, plays great. Brilliant environments, and the mission design and multiple approach structure is really good. Awesome game, would've got 10 if it wasn't for the AWFUL boss fights. Bring on the DLC.
  91. Oct 2, 2011
    Underwhelming and disappointing. The "feel" of the game is in the right place, but the game-play mechanics themselves are severely flawed. The AI is clumsy (you can hide in vents and just pick people off), the pace is slow, and the surroundings/graphics are a little plain and repetitive. Was hoping for much more...
  92. Sep 29, 2011
    It's been more than a decade since Deus Ex came out. It was an epic game, a masterpiece. I had my doubts whether Human Revolution can bring the same feel of Deus Ex back, and I can say it really does. The game brings back the true feel of Deus Ex, with multiple ways to approach a conflict: sneak through via air ducts, hack a computer to unlock a door, or just kill everyone. Dialogue also plays a major role in this game, unlike games where talking to characters does next to nothing. The only issues I have with the game are: One, in most augmentation trees, you have to pay TWO points to buy ONE augmentation, which is kind of a rip off because these points (Praxis) are relatively difficult to come by. Two, you have absolutely no choice but to defeat bosses by killing them. If you're playing as a pacifist, you're naturally going to not invest in combat augmentations but stealth, which makes boss fights much harder. There should be diplomatic or stealthy solutions to boss fights. The game is quite long, and although it's good, I don't think there is much replay value in it. And, faithful to the original Deus Ex, the Chinese voice acting is horrific, but that's almost enjoyable rather than bad. Expand
  93. Sep 29, 2011
    This game is not all it's hyped up to be. What I wanted was an open world adventure where I can explore and interact with other characters. What it turned out to be is a small section of open world with a few (not very many) missions, and then that leads into long first-person-shooter levels that do not allow for a return to the open world. I enjoyed the Bladerunner like ambiance (akin to the old PC Bladerunner game) but really this is a FPS with a couple of city levels to run around in. The game is unfinished - it seems rushed to beat the really sweet and ultra-modern games coming out this holiday season. I bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution on day one at the full $60, and well it wasn't worth that much. At $40 it would be a good deal, at $20, I would recommend it to everyone because the story and ambiance are worth a 9. If Deus Ex 3 is actually finished by the design team I would expect an awesome game - but they need to be taking notes if they want to keep up with the big-boys. Expand
  94. Sep 28, 2011
    First of all, this game is a hundred times worse than Deus ex. But with that said, this is not a bad game! However I'm not sure if it had been anything special at all without the original game. My biggest problem is the story, which gets worse the longer you play. Very predictable, and I found myself not caring about the story at all in the end. The story was what elevated Deus Ex to be one of the greatest games ever, but this one is kinda bad. The gameplay is excellent, and the stealth elements are very well crafted. You always have different ways to solve missions. So yeah, I had fun playing it but I never really cared about the characters or the story.

Alex is stiff and boring. The graphics are horrible, a real disappointment for a game released in 2011. Stiff animations, and the cutscenes are the worst I've seen in years. They look incredibly dated, blocky and seem to have really low resolution.

So I think this is a good game, but it could have been great.
  95. Sep 26, 2011
    We all know the boss fights are bad. If you didn't, well now you do. No matter how you play the game or the upgrades you get they are still frustrating. I have played through three times, stealthy, gadget/hack freak, armor and guns blazing and each time I would stall at a boss and die multiple times. 10+ easy on each boss on each play through. That said the rest of the game is so amazing and fun that I played through three times already, knowing the bosses would be lame. The enviornments are beautiful and so are the characters. the lip sync is ok but most games don't have good lip sync. Also most animations are stiff but it kinda isn't distracting considering the context and the world it's in. I wouldn't be happy go lucky swinging my arms about and shouting in this world ever. I mean this for the conversation scenes. fights and sneaking around are great fun, animations are great and the AI is really good. not the best but i'd say better than most. Especially considering the different ways you can play this game it doesn't shine above anything in any aspect but is still great or at least good. The way it shines above others is the amount of choices you are given, from upgrades to approaching any situation. Each play through of mine I did each situation differently and found new things and places. If you love sci-fi and blade runner type stuff BUY this game. if you like RPGs buy this game. otherwise rent, but don't miss this game. Expand
  96. Sep 24, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution is a special experience, one which you would be out of your mind to miss. Bringing back nearly everything that made the original DE a masterpiece and adding some very welcome additions the game is an absolute joy to play. The design and look of the game itself are inspired and the gameplay is solid but more importantly, fun. It has its draw backs however, some awful npc design and animations, some restrictions in gameplay choices and a removal of some of the originals skill trees for example no weapon specialisation do detract from the game. But most importantly this game is an 'experience' and one you will enjoy every second of. Expand
  97. Sep 21, 2011
    Deus Ex is definitely a great game and contender for game of the year, but it is held back buy its ridiculous boss fights, difficulty spikes, and limited combat options. Don't get me wrong, I loved beating enemies senseless with the game's excellent stealth system, but that whole combat mechanic is held back by the battery that has to recharge after each kill. At the end of the day Deus Ex is a fun and valuable experience that is held back by only a few minor problems. Expand
  98. Sep 21, 2011
    I was initially put off this game due to the reviews of difficult boss battles and twitchy AI.... Luckily, as there is nothing else out there worth buying currently, I decided to go for it... And I'm so glad I did as it is an amazing game. Love the atmosphere and the relative freedom. I've just finished it and will probably start it all again soon - good replay value. Oh, and by the way, the boss battles are actually simple (just run up to them end hit them with two or three typhoon shots) Expand
  99. Sep 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked Invisible War. If those four words immediately makes my opinion on this game invalid to you, then so be it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution attempts to hark back to its predecessor and the results of this are mixed. Sure the same choice based gameplay is available â Expand
  100. Sep 20, 2011
    I took my time playing this game. A friend mentioned it to me that it had great promises of being game of the year. I waited, and saw the outstanding reviews. Now, I'm not sure if the reviews were honest, or bias. It is a good game, but alot of things are missing in this game. There were no shocking moments. No surprises around corners. And the puzzle solving skills are low grade level. A fifth grader could figure it out. Wish I'd waited longer to read more of all reviews. Seems like, negative reviews are withheld for a certain period of time until the game sold a certain amount of copies, Hope that isn't true. Expand
  101. Aug 23, 2011
    A truly outstanding dark and gritty, cyberpunk, action role-playing experience. This title by Eidos Montreal lives up to the hype and then some. Whether you're a fan of the sci-fi, role-playing, first person/third person shooter, or the stealth-action genre Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the game for you.

1. Nov 29, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution lives up to the lofty expectations of the Deus Ex name. Beyond that, it's a superb game in its own right.
  2. Despite the flaws this'll be on your mind well after the credits roll. The plot is engrossing enough to make any techno freak froth at the mouth with lust. Human Revolution is a truly authentic Deus Ex game, and a great gaming experience in its own right. [October 2011 p74]
  3. Sep 29, 2011
    On the whole, Deus Ex: Human Revolution expects the player to handle their own progression appropriately and hand-holding is kept to a minimum. Given the often-commonplace mentality that many modern games should lead players around by the nose to one degree or another, having the guts to return to a philosophy of personal responsibility and choice isn't just smart-it's appreciated.