Devil May Cry HD Collection PlayStation 3

8.6

1. Jan 27, 2013
    Devil May Cry: HD Collection is a very inconsistent port of three legendary game titles. The only reason this could be considered a success, is because it's some of the best games of all time on your current console. Buy it only if your interested in a minor upgrade of the PS2 classics.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    In my opinion, only DMC3 is really worth playing at in this package. DMC1 is fun, but HD shows the game hasn't aged quite well, with a painful camera on top of that. DMC2 is not entertaining at all, with a silent Dante, the plot doesn't make much sense and is really boring with a character that has no personality and to whom you don't feel any attachment. DMC3 is where the fun beginsIn my opinion, only DMC3 is really worth playing at in this package. DMC1 is fun, but HD shows the game hasn't aged quite well, with a painful camera on top of that. DMC2 is not entertaining at all, with a silent Dante, the plot doesn't make much sense and is really boring with a character that has no personality and to whom you don't feel any attachment. DMC3 is where the fun begins though: it is graphically pretty for a ps2 game, funny cutscenes with a Dante, and an interesting plot on the rivalry between Dante and Vergil. The possibility of playing Vergil is quite nice too. I'm giving it a 7 mostly because I don't believe DMC2 is worth playing at all, whereas DMC1 is fun at times and DMC3 is a must play!! Expand
  3. May 11, 2015
    A difficult collection to mark, the three games having very different qualities.
    Devil May Cry 1 was a revolution when it was released and brought a lot of innovations to the genre, but hasn't aged well, the camera isn't totally reliable, there's not much combo to work with, the story and the characters are very poorly written, and the game is quite short. What was a revolution in 2001 is now a just average beat'em all.
    Devil May Cry 2 was and still is very boring , the camera is a nightmare, there was still no work on the story and the characters.
    Devil May Cry 3 is still a great game, with a great story, great boss fights, and Dante is more stylish than ever.

Concerning the HD makeover, it is not well done, not all the cinematics and the menus are in HD , feels more like a cash-in than a tribute to the licence.
    So in conclusion the final mark depends on what you wish by buying this collection the 1 is worth a 7/10, the 2 a 5/10 and the 3 a 9/10 so it gives an average of 7. I could have lowered the final mark for the lazy port, but 6 was a bit too harsh for two games that marked the history of video-gaming.
  4. May 1, 2012
    Every once in a while, a title comes along that re-defines the future of gaming. It's a turning point in game development, and spawns hundreds of budget clones that try to cash in while it's hot. In 2001, DMC was one of those games. It single-handedly invented the action game genre as we know it. DMC3 invented true Stylish Action- with weapon switching, evasive maneuvers, and over-the-topEvery once in a while, a title comes along that re-defines the future of gaming. It's a turning point in game development, and spawns hundreds of budget clones that try to cash in while it's hot. In 2001, DMC was one of those games. It single-handedly invented the action game genre as we know it. DMC3 invented true Stylish Action- with weapon switching, evasive maneuvers, and over-the-top powers.

The ports are really solid. I had some concerns after reading about the problems with other HD collectiosn recently, like the Silent Hill HD Collection. Visuals are crisp and clean, and the games look excellent considering their age. DMC1's textures hold up surprisingly well (shows how far good art direction can go) aside from the pixelated skybox or so. DMC3 looks absolutely gorgeous. They added some anti-aliasing, and the motion capture looks impressive even by today's standards. The only gripe that some people might have is that various menus and cutscenes (the ones that are full motion video) are still in 4:3 ratio. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, and recreating these videos would have been pretty impractical.

Some people are saying that they stretched the aspect ratio of the games to fit the widescreen. THIS IS ERRONEOUS. They actually widened the viewing area to 16:9, which makes some of the camera angle griefs much better.

Of course, the entire series runs at 60fps for buttery smooth combat. No hiccups or framerate issues. No technical glitches or bugs. The gameplay is pretty much flawless.

As for extras, the Vault comes with a collection of never before released pre-production concept art. One of the other reviewers on Amazon said that this is all stuff you can get on the internet, but it's simply not true. There are several pieces of art from back when DMC1 was a Resident Evil title. These never made their way to the general public. There's also a nice selection of music from each of the three titles. This is, unfortunately, incomplete, but it's still a nice touch. Throw your favorite track on while you peruse the gallery.

DMC2 is a throwaway title. It always has been. Don't let that discourage you because DMC1 and DMC3 together are worth well more than the $40 asking price. Even so, it looks as good as it ever has.

If you have ANY interest at all in action games, maybe you want to see what all the hubbub is about, or if you want to revisit these incredible titles with gorgeous visuals, you owe it to yourself to pick up this collection.
  5. Apr 7, 2012
    Finally it's day here! Despite owning all of them on Ps2 it's a must buy for me. All three games are the games without which modern games wouldn't be the same. Capcom may say everything they want, old Dante is one of the coolest game characters that were ever made. The price was also pretty good, I even was ready to pay mor for it. Nothing, not even new dmc could ruin this game.
  6. Jan 14, 2013
    Este juego, simplemente es todo aquello que los Die Hard Fans de esta legendaria saga querian tener en sus manos, si eres nuevo y nunca has estado en contacto con Devil May Cry, este es el momento de cambiar eso, los tres juegos son magnificos (tambien el dos es bueno, pero podría haber sido mejor) Devil May Cry 1, 2 y 3 te robaran el aliento con su gameplay, su historia y elEste juego, simplemente es todo aquello que los Die Hard Fans de esta legendaria saga querian tener en sus manos, si eres nuevo y nunca has estado en contacto con Devil May Cry, este es el momento de cambiar eso, los tres juegos son magnificos (tambien el dos es bueno, pero podría haber sido mejor) Devil May Cry 1, 2 y 3 te robaran el aliento con su gameplay, su historia y el carisma de su protagonista. Expand
  7. May 15, 2012
    Great collection and a must-own for every DMC fan. There isn't much to say about this collection apart from it consisting of two of the best action games that have ever existed. Every action fan should give this one a try. The only downside is that some of the cutscenes and meny are in SD format, so it looks out of place from the rest of the game which is in HD widescreen.
  8. May 20, 2012
    Pretty solid port, loved 1+3 in the past, love them now. DMC 3 still might be the best action game ever made, and the bat **** crazy story in this series is all kinds of fun.
  9. Jan 23, 2013
    A wonderful collection.The HD upgrade really makes the games look beautiful. Both 1 and 3 still hold up really well as solid action games while 2 inherently still has its problems of lousy game play and story. I have noticed a few cut scene glitches (particularly with 3) and it is a shame the menus haven't received a HD upgrade so it isnt perfect.Overall I would considered it a decentA wonderful collection.The HD upgrade really makes the games look beautiful. Both 1 and 3 still hold up really well as solid action games while 2 inherently still has its problems of lousy game play and story. I have noticed a few cut scene glitches (particularly with 3) and it is a shame the menus haven't received a HD upgrade so it isnt perfect.Overall I would considered it a decent purchase for two awesome action games given the current generation sheen. Expand
  10. Mar 22, 2015
    All three of the original tittles of the devil may cry franchise bundled into one, also including the special edition of devil may cry 3. The also decided to have a vault feature giving players a taste of what they may listen to or see in the franchise.
  11. Apr 3, 2012
    Its hard to believe ten years have passed since Dante first swaggered onto our screens in the Devil May Cry series and now here is our chance to catch up. Capcom has managed to do a better job this time around compared to the sloppy HD Resident Evil Collection and disappointing issues with the HD Silent Hill Collection we have a HD collection that stands up to its gaming legacy. Sadly theIts hard to believe ten years have passed since Dante first swaggered onto our screens in the Devil May Cry series and now here is our chance to catch up. Capcom has managed to do a better job this time around compared to the sloppy HD Resident Evil Collection and disappointing issues with the HD Silent Hill Collection we have a HD collection that stands up to its gaming legacy. Sadly the cutscenes remain in original 4;3 aspect but everything else has being brought up with a nice modern lick. DMC and DMC3 are the picks of the litter whereas 2 is the black sheep, but remains playable and a prime example of how to severely take a series in the wrong direction.

Devil May Cry set the standard for action games at the time and remains a solid romp with some tough boss fights, plenty of action and camp action. DMC3 remains in my opinion the best action game available. It contains a wealth of content, introducing styles, a huge variety of environments, great variety in enemies and some fantastic set pieces.

An excellent collection released at a brilliant price and worth is place on anyones shelf beside Bayonetta, God Of War and Ninja Gaiden.
  12. Apr 5, 2012
    These games have aged well and with the updated HD graphics there is no reason not to own this collection as Devil May Cry is one of the best series in its genre of all time. You will still receive the amazing fast pace combat, great replay value, top notch puzzles and the same old Dante at a great price. All that said, how can you leave out trophy support which increases the replayThese games have aged well and with the updated HD graphics there is no reason not to own this collection as Devil May Cry is one of the best series in its genre of all time. You will still receive the amazing fast pace combat, great replay value, top notch puzzles and the same old Dante at a great price. All that said, how can you leave out trophy support which increases the replay value even higher. My advice to you is get it now! Stop reading this get up and go find a copy, it wont be long till you realize why you did!! Expand
  13. May 24, 2012
    If you never played the originals on PS2 get this game. Really good deal. I really wish the actually updated these graphics but thats all you can really ask for from this collection, better graphics. And DMC2 sucks, just saying.
  14. Apr 11, 2012
    The Devil May Cry games were great back on the PS2. The HD collection manages to recapture the magic, with HD visuals in 16:9 widescreen. DMC2 is not as good as DMC1 or DMC3, but two absolutely fantastic games for 39.99 is a great deal.
  15. Apr 21, 2012
    Dante is back! In all his former glory, even slightly new and improved. This game is still as cool, still as stylish as you remember. This game will have you sweating, swearing and wishing you bought a easier game. A throwback to when games were hard as nails. Aside from the slightly confusing camera angles now and again I cant fault this game. A perfect time for veterans to revisit DanteDante is back! In all his former glory, even slightly new and improved. This game is still as cool, still as stylish as you remember. This game will have you sweating, swearing and wishing you bought a easier game. A throwback to when games were hard as nails. Aside from the slightly confusing camera angles now and again I cant fault this game. A perfect time for veterans to revisit Dante must Die Mode, And a great chance for newcomers to pick this up and learn to love it. Expand
  16. Apr 28, 2012
    Not the best example of how to release a collection of two of gaming's favourite sons, as well as brining their their simple minded sibling (DMC2) along for the ride. From a technical perspective Capcom could have put a lot more effort into fleshing out the decals and ensuring that the sound and frame rate never shuddered to spoil our action, but I can't complain. It does what it says onNot the best example of how to release a collection of two of gaming's favourite sons, as well as brining their their simple minded sibling (DMC2) along for the ride. From a technical perspective Capcom could have put a lot more effort into fleshing out the decals and ensuring that the sound and frame rate never shuddered to spoil our action, but I can't complain. It does what it says on the tin; lets you enjoy the Devil May Cry series and show case just why these games still stand the test of time. Expand
  17. Jan 14, 2013
    These games are- in numerical order- good, not so good, and great. This is worth a look if you like action games with good game play and aren't picky about a schlocky story.
  18. Apr 1, 2013
    Wow peeps, I wish I could be like you. Fun for a couple hours and then devolves into a study on every problem games had back then. These need to be left where they were. The only reason this gets a passing score is because the quality of these games undeniable for the time they were released.
  19. Jan 20, 2016
    Game: Devil May Cry HD Collection
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Capcom System: Playstation 3 (PS3) Total Score: 80+3 = 83/100 Value Score: 80+3 = 8.3/10 • Story: 8+5+10 = 8/10 • Characters: 8+4+10 = 7/10 • GamePlay: 8+5+10 = 8/10 • Graphics: 7+6+8 = 7/10 • Sound: 8+5+10 = 8/10 • Music: 10+7+10 = 9/10 • Length: 7+6+10 = 8/10 • Replay Value: 7+8+10 = 8/10 • Player Value: 8+4+10 =
    Game: Devil May Cry HD Collection
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Capcom
    System: Playstation 3 (PS3)
    Total Score: 80+3 = 83/100

• Music: 10+7+10 = 9/10
    • Length: 7+6+10 = 8/10
    • Replay Value: 7+8+10 = 8/10
    • Player Value: 8+4+10 = 7/10

Pros
    +Includes all 3 games of the original Devil May Cry Trilogy
    +Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition is packed with this package
    +All 3 games are remastered in HD
    +All 3 games have trophy support
    +All games come on one disc
    +Contains all artwork both official and fanmade chosen by Capcom in the "Vault" section
    +Contains all 3 game's OSTs in "Vault" section to be playable

Cons
    -You have to exit the game and restart the disc to start a new game
    -All cutscene movies are in SD format and look horrible on a HDTV
    -Some aspects in the game are not widescreen or in full resolution
  20. Oct 17, 2014
    Devil May Cry HD Collection

This collection is one of the best collections out there i really like Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 the second game was not that good but this trilogy is great for some old funs like my self and even greater for people new to the series.You should buy this collection even in full price it will keep you play about 25 to 30 hours.
  21. Aug 7, 2015
    I didn't even play the second game which is supposedly less interesting. HD work is pretty much flawless, constant smooth framerate and a graphics style that fits the sharp graphics very well. There's also separate trophies for each game. The games have aged acceptably, where only the camera feels stuck in old-gen. But it just adds extra action that you have to maneuver, adjusting to newI didn't even play the second game which is supposedly less interesting. HD work is pretty much flawless, constant smooth framerate and a graphics style that fits the sharp graphics very well. There's also separate trophies for each game. The games have aged acceptably, where only the camera feels stuck in old-gen. But it just adds extra action that you have to maneuver, adjusting to new angles. It also gives a cinematic effect that presents the visuals impressively. Expand
  22. Jul 11, 2013
    The Devil May Cry series is one of the best series if u ask me,the second one wasnt as good as the others but still a great game,so 3 awesome kick ass games for 1 price,has to be a 10, no doubt!
  23. Mar 17, 2013
    If you have never played the Devil May Cry series (like me), this is the perfect collection to get you started. It contains beautiful HD remasters of the PS2 classics (with the exception of some cutscenes, which keep the PS2 feel).

It's tough to go into 3 reviews for 3 games, so I'll just give you a basic synopsis of what you can expect from each game. Devil May Cry 1 was a well done

Devil May Cry 1 was a well done hack-and-slash game with a kick-a** soundtrack, some great boss battles and, overall, was just a very fun challenge. There is a bit of a learning curve to it (you'll find that out during the first boss battle), so don't get discouraged. Out of 10, it's a very solid 8.5 in my eyes.

Devil May Cry 2 is often looked at as the black sheep of the DMC series, and for good reason. The combat system did undergo a few changes, but the action was mostly solid. However, the difficulty was substantially dumbed down for this game and you'll find that the boss battles (which left you very satisfied after a battle that was often quite tough) to be really easy and boring. I'm pretty sure you are able to pretty much do every boss battle from a long range with guns while doing some occasional slashing. The game and its storyline just felt boring and uninspired as a whole. It's not bad, but just very unmemorable. I'd probably give it a 6.5 of 10.

Devil May Cry 3 improved upon everything that the first two games did right. It added different attack styles (e.g.: one style allows you to dodge attacks more easily, one allows you to use more sword moves, one allows you to use more gun moves, etc.), improved the combat system with the addition of these attack styles, and had a really fun, over-the-top, high-octane storyline. The Bloody Palace mode (introduced in DMC2) was just the icing on the cake that made the game even more awesome. I'd give it an enthusiastic 9 out of 10.

So, the games aggregate to an 8/10 average. I'd give this collection a 9/10, though, because it features all 3 games on one disc, remasters them for high definition, doesn't take up much PS3 space, and the games are just a lot of fun in general (well, mostly based on DMC1 and DMC3). This collection is pretty much for those who either (A.) have never played a Devil May Cry game or (B.) have played the games and have either sold them or just want to play the games in a higher definition (and at a cheap price of $25 now). This product is a great value for those who want an introduction to the series or an upgrade to HD. There isn't a lot else to offer outside of the 3 games, so don't buy this expecting a bunch of extra stuff. Just expect 3 games remastered for the PS3. And, because of that, this is a perfect collection for new DMC players.
  24. Jul 11, 2017
    The HD remaster is a joke the cg videos still 4:3 with unscaled to 720p, the main game is 720p! 720P a PS2 game? on PS3! this is a joke **** port, even the game effects like "heatblaze" (when you fight the phantom spider, mundus, etc..) from dmc1 is missing! the textures looks irriting **** in all 3 game even worse than original ps2 version with sdtv and rgb cable! game sounds/music isThe HD remaster is a joke the cg videos still 4:3 with unscaled to 720p, the main game is 720p! 720P a PS2 game? on PS3! this is a joke **** port, even the game effects like "heatblaze" (when you fight the phantom spider, mundus, etc..) from dmc1 is missing! the textures looks irriting **** in all 3 game even worse than original ps2 version with sdtv and rgb cable! game sounds/music is just too loud! this is one of the WORST HD remaster of the EARTH!
    From the best to worst DMC1, DMC2 DMC3
    i did love the mature dante in dmc1 and dmc2, i hated the teen boy dmc3 dante, dmc1 and dmc2 have better story and cooler cinematics ingame with better music. and better voice acting.
  25. Mar 12, 2014
    I remember my brother playing this when it first came out but it did not really interest me. Then DMC came out everyone complained it was not as good as the original games.So to be fair I gave this a go and loved it. 3 is certainly the best of the 3 with smoother combat but the others are worth a go. The demon palace and vault are good additions along with the graphical smoothing.

So

So DMC VS Devil may cry which do I prefer? The original Dante is better than the new he is totally kick ass funny as hell, the new Dante comes across as a bit of a douche a likable douche but a douche non the less. But I am going to side with DMC it was easier for me as a newer player to get in to the series and encouraged me to play the rest of the games.

So in the end all I can say is if you liked DMC and want a new challenge pick this up if you liked the games on ps2 you are going to like this with added trophy support and a few new features.

The good- It is the 3 games delivered as promised a few new things polished up for a good price
    The bad- Difficulty may put off newer players
    The ugly- The game has not aged well and polish will only go so far to improve the look.

Verdict: 8/10 If you love slash em up's or the original series this is for you.
  26. Mar 5, 2014
    If you like games such as God of War, then you need to revisit this collection. For me, the first DMC is the best action game ever made. Some prefer third as the best, but not me. This kind of games are what we need today to play, not Call of Duty every year or another "action-space-fps-younameit".

The music is great, the story is decent, well of course it is not RPG. The graphics are awesome and yet the best thing about game was that Dante was a bad ass. I hate it what they made from him on DMC4 and DmC. Grab this game, it is worth of your time.
  27. May 8, 2014
    An great HD collection that's worth having it.Any DMC fan must have it.Is well designed and also very well edited.The characters and the maps are well reedited ,which is all I ever wanted.
  28. Mar 9, 2016
    NOTE: The score at the top reflects the over all package of the collection not for each of the individual games.
    The over all HD collection is a great way to be introduced to one of the most influential series in gaming that created the hack and slash genera. The collection it self may not have the highest graphical fidelity and some of the environment models seem dated but it is still a worth while package.

Devil May Cry Hd:
    Score: 7/10
    The game that started the hack and slash genre is a game that still holds up in some areas but is held back by other areas. The fixed camera can be a problem when trying to locate your way through-out the
    castle. The voice acting is pretty wooden and some of the audio has its hick ups. For example, the deamons and bosses can be heard very clearly while Dante's audio is very quiet and can be barely be hear. It doesn't help that for some reason the other characters have subtitles as opposed to Dante. The game does shine through the deep combat system which gives way for multiple combos and how it rewards you for varying your tactics. The boss battle in particular really test your skills and the overall game design leaves the door open for further expansion on the combat.

Devil May Cry 2 Hd:
    Score: 4/10
    The second game unfortunately takes a few steps backwards from the standards set by its predecessor. The story is really inconsequential to the over all mythos and the chrecmasic Dante lost all of his charm in this game aside from the occasional scene. The combat had been heavily watered down as the game sometimes encourage you to repeat the same combos to defeat the opponents. The enemy's have very neat designs but they never felt threating even on Dante Must Die mode. The bosses where also very shallow with the exception of the final boss on Dante's side. The campaign with Lucia had potential as it is about her finding her own identity but the story lacked the depth required for me to care. It can easily be said that Devil May Cry 2 is the weakest entry in the series.

Devil May Cry 3 HD:
    Score: 9/10
    Fortunately the designers behind he second game made marginal improvements over the prequel to the original game. They moved from making the weakest entrance to the series with the strongest entry in the series. The games combat had more depth and the weapons you aquire from bosses are more satisfying to use. The game is difficult but fair (for the most part). The bosses really stand out and test your skills that you use throught the game. This is even the one case that I can thik of in which a prequel is better than the original work as the story is much more fleshed out and Dante is even more likeable than he was in the first entry. The biggest highlight of the game story wise was the rivalry between Dante and his twin brother Vergil as it showed their conflict and their grudging respect for each other. As climatic as the final boss battle is though, Vergil does seem a little too overpowered after he achieves his devil trigger form. The fight against Arkam also gives you a forced handicap as the core mechanics change when Vergil enters the fray. Aside from that and the fact that you need to constantly go through menus to change your weapons and to purchase upgrades, Devil May Cry is my favorite Hack and Slash game of all time and is the pinnacle of third person action games.
  29. Apr 8, 2016

Devil May Cry Hd:
    Score: 7/10

Devil May Cry 2 Hd:
    Score: 4/10

Devil May Cry 3 HD:
    Score: 9/10
  30. Nov 5, 2016
    I brought time game twice & the first copy I had was fine it's just that the voice acting was off course so I had to skip every cutscene, luckily I didn't finish the game so when I brought he second copy a year later everything was great & felt like the DMC I played as a kid because I only had the first one when I was younger so I didn't know about the other two, DMC two is a load of wankI brought time game twice & the first copy I had was fine it's just that the voice acting was off course so I had to skip every cutscene, luckily I didn't finish the game so when I brought he second copy a year later everything was great & felt like the DMC I played as a kid because I only had the first one when I was younger so I didn't know about the other two, DMC two is a load of wank & 3 Is a masterpiece of a hack and slash. I don't have a problem with this because like I said I only played the first one when I was a kid but The graphics look pretty much the same as the PS2 Classic which is strange. But overall if you don't have a PS2 but you want to Play the old DMC games just get the Collection for the 360 Or PS3. Expand

1. PSM3 Magazine UK
    May 16, 2012
    Ravaged by time and a poor HD transfer, these games are not only bastard hard, but they're ugly with it. [June 2012, p.111]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 9, 2012
    The series which influenced the whole action genre grew old but it has good playability and thanks to HD remastering it's still attractive. [May 2012]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 7, 2012
    We could have forgiven the ugly presentation of this collection if more was packed in. Given the second game is a dud, two rushed re-releases of DMC and DMC3 make for an expensive trip down memory lane. Where's DMC4? Where's the demo of the upcoming Devil May Cry reboot? Where's the value? [May 2012, p76]