DiRT 3 PlayStation 3

7.2

1. Jun 11, 2011
    Dirt 3 is without a doubt an excellent racing game, if you are at all familiar with the previous instalments then this is a no-brainer: you'll want it. People are going to be divided on this issue but i personally appreciate the move away from the very americanised style of D2. The sober triangular menu system is functional if a little staid, it would have been nice if a side effect ofDirt 3 is without a doubt an excellent racing game, if you are at all familiar with the previous instalments then this is a no-brainer: you'll want it. People are going to be divided on this issue but i personally appreciate the move away from the very americanised style of D2. The sober triangular menu system is functional if a little staid, it would have been nice if a side effect of this was fewer load times but alas not. I like the British lady and Australian guy chatting between races but the American guy has to go. The soundtrack is, apart from the odd teeny-punk track, surprisingly bleak ("I am a man with a heavy heart"???), very British in a dubby and string sample-y way, and it really grew on me and i can now honestly say, i like it. Graphically it's superb, pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a Dirt2 sequel, it's a bit more colorful as well thanks to a wider variety of locations. Kenya and Norway are just, wow. I for one also really appreciate the wider variety of cars, especially the inclusion of more classic rally cars like the Lancia Fulvia. Alpina A110 and Mini Cooper, this is something i personally just am into. I really wish Porsche didn't give their licence to that nemesis of the racing genre, EA, because this game would have benefited fro the inclusion of one or two of those. Gameplay-wise it feels like the handling is a tiny bit more noob-friendly, there are a lot of assists that you can select and on the whole it feels to me as if the force feedback is a bit less violent than in 2, I may be mistaken about it though and need to uncheck some assists or something but i miss that sense of danger a little bit. As always, the flashback system is there, and this something i've never liked because it influences how you play, you're not careful and strategic, you just make a mistake and go, 'Oh well, i'll just rewind'. Consequently you just kind of power your way through the career mode with one or two races that you need to retry along the way. I can understand why it's necessary but i feel it cheapens one's experience of the game.
    Gymkhana events are surprisingly fun (coming from someone who routinely sucks at things like Drift trials) and the Battersea Power Station sandbox is brilliant.
    Tiny nitpick, i would have appreciated if the car setup would default to the last one you used, currently, if you want to use the same one you used last you have to reselect it. Also, the shortest gear ratio setting feels a bit extreme and unnecessary, any car using it will be redlining in 5th within 2.5 seconds.
    All in all, nothing short of an excellent racing game, i would give an 8.5, while i don't think it's the revelation some reviewers are making it out to be it's a solid, enjoyable and polished experience.
    Now, the bugbear, which you may argue does not reflect on the quality of the game: the VIP pass, or more specifically, how the developers chose to rub your face in it at every given opportunity. I have no problem with, in fact i'm completely in favour of, an online pass system as a way for developers to profit from second hand sales of their game. But to rub your customer's nose in it every time the game starts up is inexcusable. If, like me, you bought the PS3 version at launch, you wouldn't have been able to redeem your code owing to circumstances beyond your control. Codemasters choose to ignore the fact that some consoles are simply not online, those gamers will still be prompted to redeem or purchase a code. This, to me, is the equivalent of a DRM system that punishes the people who actually paid for the game. It's letting external political factors encroach on the experience of your product and i really think Codemasters need to be castigated for it.
    A similar hassle is the fact that the insufferable Daniel tells you after each win: "You GOTTA upload that to Youtube, amigo, your fans will go nuts!". I won't deny that the youtube functionality is neat, for the handful of expert players out there, but i really don't think anyone wants to see my races and thus i never intend to use this feature, don't shove it in my face after every race!
    Again, i understand that these questions are peripheral to the issue of whether Dirt3 is a good racing game or not, because it really really is, but i do feel they intrude on the game experience and therefore are pertinent reasons to knock he score down a notch or two.
  2. Jan 4, 2012
    Call me crazy, but I couldn't get into this game. I found myself bored to tears with this game. The driving was fairly realistic and fun and the graphics were spectacular. This is probably one of the best looking games of 2011. The weather effects were fantastic and the backgrounds looked incredible. This game just has an attention to detail that I haven't really seen in a racing game.Call me crazy, but I couldn't get into this game. I found myself bored to tears with this game. The driving was fairly realistic and fun and the graphics were spectacular. This is probably one of the best looking games of 2011. The weather effects were fantastic and the backgrounds looked incredible. This game just has an attention to detail that I haven't really seen in a racing game. But other than that, I was bored. The game just didn't feel that well made and I really expected it to be better. That said, I was never really a rally racing fan, or a driving sim fan. The game was fun for about an afternoon, but I eventually traded it in. Not the best purchase I've made. Does this mean that Dirt 3 is a bad game? Of course not. It's average. And if you are a rally racing/ driving simulator fan then I probably would recommend this game to you. But it just wasn't my cup of tea. Expand
  3. May 24, 2011
    Appalling "twitchy" arcade handling prevent this game from being the mediocre experience it could have been! They have taken the handling model from the first Dirt game, which means that cars lurch from side to side in a thoroughly unrealistic way, like a turrettes sufferer masturbating behind the wheel. The career mode is irritating beyond belief, if I ever see another pyramid agin I'llAppalling "twitchy" arcade handling prevent this game from being the mediocre experience it could have been! They have taken the handling model from the first Dirt game, which means that cars lurch from side to side in a thoroughly unrealistic way, like a turrettes sufferer masturbating behind the wheel. The career mode is irritating beyond belief, if I ever see another pyramid agin I'll kill someone! The collection of brain dead voices range from a thick English girl who is your agent, an Aussie who has English as second language, to an Aerican who has clearly been told not to say "dude" anymore, so uses muchacio instead. Then we come to the "jewel in Dirt3's crown" as I've heard it referred to, Gykhanna. Imagine if the special olympics started a motorsport event featuring Ken "I've never finished a real event without writing off my car" Blockhead! I think you are starting to get the picture. Don't buy this piece of crap, like me you might have been tempted by FInland with group B vehicles, but that is literally all you get that's worth while. Michigan and Kenya are so poorly done, and such poor choices anyway, that playing them in the career mode is an absolute chore! The interiour "cockpit" view is equally shoddy and few of the rally stages take longer than 1 minute 30 seconds to complete. If you want a realistic game with excellent handling, buy an old copy of Dirt 2 and adjust the downforce to maximum. Dirt 2 has better graphics and handling, if you already own it then you can only be dissappointed by this PoS! Expand
  4. Sep 2, 2011
    My enjoyment of this entertaining Rally game was interrupted regularly as the car I want to use is only available from the PS store as DLC. That happens a lot here and you are regularly being told to buy a pack or a car from the store. It is like an ad for dlc with a few very short driving sections.
    The online pass is back too, which means if you buy this second hand, you will have 5 cars less and no online play unless you buy a new code. If you buy new, and activate the code, you have just made the value of the product decrease by quite a bit, and any trade in price will be less generous. So, apart from the ripping off of your money, and the constant ads for dlc that would make this a complete but very expensive game, is it any good? Not bad, the races are short and the loading long, but the driving is nice.
  5. Jan 14, 2015
    Decent rally game. Would be a good rally game if all the gymkhana stuff would've been thrown away.
    Instead of that, the game should've had a better career mode.
    Codemasters usually have stupid ideas to add in games. Maybe they don't feel like that rally game fans like doing just rally? Who knows... but after all the complaints, it's still a solid game.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    A very convincing package with stunning graphics and nice feel for arcade'ish racing. There's maybe a bit too much emphasis on gymkhana game mode though. [Aug 2011]
  2. Aug 7, 2011
    Overall, Dirt 3 is nothing short of stellar. The sheer amount of variety – in race events, tracks, and vehicles – makes Dirt 3 a racer that you'll keep coming back to again and again, long after you've completed the Dirt Tour. Whether you're a fan of sim racers, arcade racers, or heck even Mario Kart, you should definitely check out Dirt 3.
  3. games(TM)