7.8

1. Sep 15, 2014
    The best stealth game in years. The setting is dark and matured. The characters are interesting with their own motivations and goals. The story is also dark and based on your approach / decisions it gets even darker /more hopeless later on. If you kill many guards in one level then the next level will be guarded heavier with more guards (There are also other changes which I won't spoil). It is possible to solve the game without killing anyone. The good thing is the variety in the levels. Most times there are multiple ways or approaches for a task. When I replayed a level I often find different routes (A lot easier than my first choices). This gives a good replay value for a second or third play-through. The graphic and sound are really fitting and helped to created a dark / realistic world. This game deserves a lot of praise and I hope there will be a Dishonored 2. Expand
  2. Sep 12, 2014
    Disappointed with this one, I was expecting a GREAT game based on a lot of reviews and videos, I felt like I played a very good game but not that great. It is actually hard for me to explain why, I like the graphics, music, characters, story, gameplay is great. I guess maybe I was not in the mood for a game with a lot of stealth, I don't know...You can play this game with a lot of stealth or just run through enemies but in my opinion first option is more interesting. Expand
  3. Sep 7, 2014
    this is the best first person stealth game i have ever played. the power are awesome. you can play the game in whatever way you want. cool story. the graphics are really awesome, what else you want in a game? so i give it a perfect 10.
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    Bethesda has never been one to be known for there excellent sneaking systems and this felt like they were trying to improve on their popular series with increased stealth options and ended up making an entire game to develop it and still failed. The games style/atmosphere tries to stray into steampunk and misses the mark. Music is highly forgettable, colors are washed together, the story is shoddy, bad controls, laggy, and none of the characters stand apart since most of the models looked extremely similar. Do not purchase. Expand
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    The most important quality of Dishonored is that it doesn't treat you like a tool. Instead it offers a toolbox of techniques and powers that you can apply as you prefer on each mission. The second most important quality of Dishonored is that it is FUN. It is a game, not an interactive movie or a tech showcase. It is game design refined for the highest possible amount of fun inside the otherwise rather grim game environment.

These qualities combine with an ambitious storyline and an exceptionally well realized game world, and the result is a rare mix of fun and immersion.

The graphics are more cartoony than the title or cover-art, but with PS3s capabilities, the art fits the constrictions and set the bar low enough to stay outside of uncanny valley and out of the ordinary. It is thus one of the best looking games I've played on PS3.

It has no multiplayer, no alternative game modes (unnecessary since it already can be played in many ways), and the ending is abruptly anti-climatic. I was overall satisfied with the story, but it could have built up the gameplay setups more rather than reiterate on the same basic challenges.

I kind of want to give it 7/10, but it's rare that you play a game and have to figure out your own way through each challenge. For that, it deserves recognition.
  6. Jun 30, 2014
    Total gameplay choice. Total.Did I say total? This feature is often touted in games, but is rarely ever delivered. Dishonoured is one such game that stays true to its word. A twisted revenge narrative, embedded within a rich, fresh steampunk aesthetic provides a strong and rewarding backbone for the game. The sandbox nature of the assassinations combining both stealth melee and supernatural powers (like teleportation, time distortion) makes the game a winner and sure as hell, intoxicating.

Sure, you can leap into every single bloody confrontation, flash your blade and slit some throats – but you’ve got God Of War for that. What’s the fun?

The only way to enjoy this killhouse is to meld into the shadows, (painstakingly) working your way through the 9 levels (short, I know – but definitely worth replaying). Even killing ONE single person made me feel that I failed my mission. Never has one game made me feel so badass by NOT killing anyone. I felt like a true assassin, silently making my way around the unbelievable gorgeous environment, listening in on peoples conversations and hunting for clues. It’s a thrilling game – rewarding you for doing the things so many other games mindlessly encourage.

So step lightly, stay out of sight and plan ahead – you’ll be rewarded tremendously!
  7. Jun 29, 2014
    A truly phenominal game. I played through a no kills and no detection run and I've got to say this game is amazing. Dishonored is perfectly designed the world is thought out and very details. There has been so much lore built into the game it makes the story incredibly rich. The way that your actions alter the environment and the eventual outcome is really well thought out. It's perfectly paced and the missions are understandable and objectives are easy to follow and the sheer multitude of ways to complete are second only to games like Hitman. I was dubious because of FPS stealth but they pulled it off. Definately going to play through this a couple more times. 9/10 Expand
  8. Jun 12, 2014
    As to near Ahnk Morpork as I've seen in a videogame that isn't a discworld game and that's coming from someone who lives in Gloucester where they filmed one of the Discworld live action series. Dunwall is an amazing place in terms of the way it incorporates elements of steampunk with a victorian feel and setting a pace that wouldn't normally suit a 1st person action game but it just flows so well and the artwork on the characters is stunning but sadly let down by a bit of collision detection which is hard to ignore, combine all this with a satisfying story you get a really decent game with plenty to get stuck into. Expand
  9. May 22, 2014
    I've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, all your actions will have a consequences.
    The main part of the game is dedicated to Corvo. Alas, he is silent, which I don't like. But in the add-ons (The Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches), you're playing as Daud, who is much more talkative. Well, Michael Madsen, as Daud, is fun.
    For those who love stealth games, especially Thief 1&2&3: IMHO, this game is even more Thief-esque than the last Thief (2014). It has a good story, a nice NPCs and their dialogues, a lot of perfectly hidden stashes with loot, and you're free to hide from your foes and neutralize them in old Thief style - by sneaking from behind. Also, the game has a lot of tributes to the Thief series, so you'll definitely smile every time you see them.
    Bottom line: it's a must-have.
  10. Apr 17, 2014
    Pros
    +Great artistic graphics
    +Fun to use powers
    +Strong stealth/combat/strategy gameplay.
    + Decent story, many possible endings
    Cons
    - Slightly weak swordfighting
    - Could be a little longer
  11. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is one of the best stealth/action games i have ever played, the graphics are artistically well done, the controls are smooth and efficient. The options of doing a high/low chaos playthrough are utterly well done and thought out. the level design is extremely well thought out and offer a myriad of ways to go about your mission. The storyline is thought provoking and quite layered. You also acquire certain tools/weapons and special magical abilities to aid you in your mission ahead. On my first playthrough with me being in all modesty a true gamer took me about 15 hours to complete. arkane have outdone themselves and with that i will be buying future titles by them. Expand
  12. Feb 9, 2014
    Great game! FPS with freedom of approach. Got some Half Life 2 vibes when playing this and it´s a good thing. Voice acting and art design are top-notch.
  13. Jan 22, 2014
    Dishonored is so close to becoming a memorable game. Instead, only months after playing, it starts to fade into the other games. But this game is not bad by any means. Dishonored is fearless, it has a great story and a great stealth engine which is surprisingly hard to come by these days. Dishonored feels and plays a lot like Bioshock Infinite, which I believe is the game of the year, but the difference between the two is simple; while Dishonored starts beautifully and has a great core, the ending is short and not that interesting. The game seems to drop off out of nowhere. The story itself, besides the ending, is solid. It's a bit slow until you make it to the big twist, and then it gets fun. The game pulls you in and give you loads of options and ways to complete the level. Bioshock Infinite, even if it did seem a bit dull through the middle portion, was awe-inspiring and beautiful, the engine was near flawless and the twists were mind-blowing. In the end, I wish Dishonored was a bit more like Bioshock in the sense that it spent more time developing its ending and story. Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2013
    I really loved this game and it ate up a lot of my time. The story is amazing and can definitely be played through multiple times. Although it may be a bit overly gory, the way your actions shape the outcome of the game is brilliant. The game can really be unpredictable with lots of excitement at each turn. You can take the road of stealth and try to sneak past guards or you can fight through them, either being lots of fun. The game is overall an amazing game and definitely a buy for gamers alike. Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    Very good.

Excellent setting and story (particularly if you play the 'knife' and 'witches' DLC). Good overall gameplay. Interesting, long and varied missions. Enemy AI is a bit dull stay hidden long enough and surviving enemy return to their routine, rather than hunt you down but no more so than most other stealth games.

Combat is quite deadly for you, so sneaking is really
    worthwhile most 'bosses' are significant threats in face to face combat, but far easier to overcome with some serious stealth.

The graphics are a bit cartoony (like borderlands or amalur), but thats easy to get used to. Sound/voice is excellent.
  16. Nov 21, 2013
    Really unique and fun experience with this game. Graphics are dated and cartoonish, but this is offset by the amazing gameplay and decent revenge/redemption story.
  17. Nov 12, 2013
    Wonderful! I had so much fun playing this game I was a little disappointed by how short it was even when i did the side quests, all and all its still a wonderful game.
  18. Nov 9, 2013
    On my top five of games!
    If you want a rewarding and fun, first person, action adventure, stealth game then Dishonored is a game for you!
    You are the royal protector of the Empress, when she is killed and her daughter Emily is kidnapped, you get accused of the murder and kidnapping. After 6 moths in prison you break free and seek revenge upon those who have dishonored you. You'll get
    cool gadgets and pretty awesome powers to destroy or not even touch your enemies, you choose whether or not you want to kill everybody or nobody! It's a great game! Expand
  19. Oct 30, 2013
    This game does not live up to its potential at all. The idea of a psychic assassin taking down a group of tyrannical usurpers in a semi-steampunk setting should be enough to fire the imagination of a good group of game programmers. This game, however, misses the boat on every level. The story is pat, the missions are way too linear, the controls are flabby, and the visuals are far too cartoonish to take the setting and story seriously. The balance is off too. If you decide to fight your way through the game, you will get through it in a few hours. Go for stealth, and you will die a thousand times.

Imagine what this game could have been if they had taken a little more time with it. Imagine this concept with a grittier atmosphere in a truly open-world setting. Instead, we get what should have been a ground-breaking experience ending up being just kind of... Meh...
  20. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. dishonored is a stealth-action game based around stabbing folks in the eyeballs, choking them out or using your super magical powers of death to explode them. the story in dishonored is generic but interesting and the two endings are also good, after one playthrough you will more than likely want to play through it again to get the other ending, the game follows corvo attano the former body-guard of dunwall's empress. The empress gets assassinated and her daughter kidnapped and you are blamed,
    you escape from prison with help from a small group who help you track down and kill those who are to blame for the assassination of the empress and her daughters kidnapping (eventually you find her daughter). the gameplay in dishonored is fantastic, some of the best I have ever seen, in your right hand you have a short sword/dagger and in your left you have a gun, crossbow or magical powers and they all work perfectly in combat and/or stealth situations.
    Final verdict:
    Great gameplay, interesting story, interesting powers and interesting locations 9/10
  21. Sep 23, 2013
    Made my mind to buy this for the PS3. Thank goodness i wasted my money for good. This game sets up a new level of graphics, action, in game mechanics and etc. The storyline's epic. I love the surrounding scenery. I love to make use of those super powers u get.
  22. Sep 16, 2013
    First thing first, this game is pretty tough, but that's why i loved it so much. Maybe it's because i have a soft spot for the Stealth Genre but between the unique powers and collectibles this makes up a very fantastic product. The campaign was a little short for the $60 price tag but it was well worth it.
  23. Aug 23, 2013
    It's a great game. Some of the best stealth I've played in a while. Probably since Metal Gear. It's just fun and time-consuming. I expected a mediocre game but got something else: a worthy GOTY candidate.
  24. Aug 12, 2013
    This game takes stealth-action games to a whole new level. It's one of the best games i have ever played. It offers tone and tone of choice and, replay ability. It's story is interesting, its setting is something i have never seen in a video game. And it is a beautiful game. Recommended for everyone.
  25. Jul 28, 2013
    This is possibly one of the worst games I've ever played. The graphics are not up to par with other titles that came out around the same time, the voice acting is horrid and the story is lame. It isn't made obvious that your choices influence the game in any way, shape or form until the end. Why anyone thought this game was good is beyond me.
  26. Jul 24, 2013
    I have not played a better game than Dishonored. I loved the freedom to do as you wish. It has beautiful graphics that give it an arty feel. Not a very long story but i played through it about 4 times and didn't get bored. It has an interesting story that you get to decide the outcome. The powers you acquire are really cool and give you even more ways to approach levels.
  27. Jul 8, 2013
    DIshonored was one of my favourite games of last year, maybe even my favourite. It's very cleverly constructed and features huge open levels to explore. Dishonored is one of the very few games I played through twice, and both playthroughs were very different. I think the game strikes a great balance in difficulty, it's not easy to take on a large room of men so you can't just charge through, but it's also not easy to sneak past them all, I really appreciated that there were some challenging moments but it never felt like an endurance to complete. Graphically the games not very impressive, and there are muddy textures to be found on the PS3 version at least, but the games steam punk art design is amazing, it really does elevate the average graphics that game has. The world that the game is set in is great, it's original and compelling to explore. The game has a huge amount things to read and collect, it really is a giant amount of reading to do if you find them all, and it's all pretty interesting stuff. The story the game tells is a bit disappointing, it's serviceable but it's disappointing that it's not more original or interesting. Dishonored is a joy to play, I'd certainly love to see a sequel in the future. Expand
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    I got this game because of how much the critics loved it and in its moments this game delivers some of the best gameplay that I've experienced but unfortunately its not always like this. The first couple of levels are a bit dull story-wise but it picks up and has a couple of very interesting plot twists, the ending was a bit weak though but that could have been due to my high chaos playthrough. I definately recommend a stealthy play style for this game because that is when the gameplay is at its best. Combat is alright but gets quite repetitive. I should definitely do a low chaos replay of the game because I have a feeling it will be more fun and challenging. Overall the game is mostly good but has its up and down moments, it is still highly recommended though if you like stealth, action games Expand
  29. May 20, 2013
    Dishonored is something fresh and new according to it's combat. It's combat is unlike anything i have ever seen in any other video game. You have these supernatural powers which help you play the way you want to play. Even if that means going in a stealthy approach or guns blazing. Decision making is also important, they will determine everything you have been fighting for. Just remember that karma is a Though this game suffers from shortness, there are only 9 missions in total. But each of them are fun and unique because of their level design. You will do doubt replay this game more than once. This is a must own for everybody. Expand
  30. May 9, 2013
    Good game! I do think that more attention should have been payed to the story and the characters, but the awesomely brutal combat and the numerous ways to assassinate each target definitely makes up for the stories shortcomings and some underdeveloped characters!
  31. May 7, 2013
    I wanted to love this game I really did, but it just didnt suprise me at all I found it unintresting. With that said I also wanna say this game is in no way a "bad game" its just a game that struggled to grab my attention. I felt the graphics were just weird and Im not one to complain about graphics but they were just funky. The gameplay to me was not a lot of fun I felt so cheated when I got my weapons I just disliked them. The stealth aspect of the game is honestly bad If you want stealth stick to metal gear or splinter cell. Now I also want to address the Bioshock vs. Dishonored dilema In no way should these games be compared they are two diffrent games but with that said there have been six bioshocks counting system shock games Dishonored does not touch that franchisebut overall the game is ok but has a lot of personal annoying flaws Expand
  32. Apr 27, 2013
    I looked forward to this game greatly and got it very soon after release with have only seen the cinematic trailers which were spectacular and the interactive trailer which I enjoyed so much I went through over and over to see every outcome.

Yet for some reason the game didn't quite cut it for me, I played the first 3 or so levels and then put the game to one side to play some others
    that I've owned for a while. This has never happened to me before. When a game is new it does not leave my consoles disc slot until I have completed it. Yet for some reason I could only bring myself to play 1 level at a time before putting to the side for anything between a couple of days or a month.

I played each mission in a different style to see if one peaked my interest more than others yet nothing seemed to click. A key problem for me was how completing a mission without killing anyone or even being seen was not so much difficult as it was frustrating, the load times after death and the way auto saves worked made me wish I could turn them off and simply use a quick save hot key. The chaos meter given at the end of each level seemed unbalanced and impossible to satisfy. The concept is even though you have not killed anyone and haven't been spotted, however if you have left a few guards unconscious in a dark corner unnoticed by anyone else then you've been as equally chaotic as having killed everyone in sight, which is what I found myself doing for the last few missions simply to get through them and see the finale.

The story line was interesting enough to begin with but I found it dragged on with many predictable "developments" The way the game changes depending on past actions and how you went about things was very well implemented and I did in-fact watch the alternate endings online after having seen my own. It is a game I may go back to, yet it will always be on the side lines for me.
  33. Apr 23, 2013
    I simply could not put this game down. The first time I saw the trailer I was stunned that in a flood of sequels something so radically different would have been given a chance. A first-person, action-adventure, stealth game set in a magical steampunk world where your actions affect your outcome? No way. I wanted it.
    I was afraid that by being published by Bethesda the world would be
    pretty with great mechanics and gameplay, but the characters and story would be shallow and forgettable. I was pleasantly surprised. Corvo being framed for killing a woman he loved and not being able to protect her daughter who considers you a father is enough for anyone to march on for revenge and the dialogue and voice acting seals the deal. In addition, the art design and setting of the dreary, dingy, dirty Victorian-style steampunk city of Dunwall is so horribly attractive you don’t ever want to leave. Expand
  34. Apr 1, 2013
    I can see what the developers wanted to do with Dishonored: split the difference between a legendary game (Bioshock, if you've never played it, stop reading this and go buy it right now) and a solid multiple approach game like Dues Ex Human Revolution. Did they succeed? Admirably so for the most part. Dishonored's setting takes place in a steampunk world (Dunwall is pretty amazing) and combines the options to be patient and utilize stealth with general mayhem or anything in between. Like Bioshock it uses a variance on plasmids (upgradeable skills) but geared toward the opproach the player wises to take. The city is lush and vibrant and the enemies are challenging if you're playing stealthy. In addition to this you have an excellent story combing strong elements of political intrigue and blood soaked revenge. What sets Dishonored apart is the readily visible consequences in the form of rats. In Dishonored rats bring the plague and killing enemies raises the rat population to dangerous levels. This makes a straight forward approach as risky as a stealth approach and the developers should be congratulated for it. Dishonored is not without its flaws- the customization of abilities is pretty limited as are the choice of weapons; enemy AI is not always great either. That being said Dishonored is an excellent new IP and should be given an ample chance to prove itself. That alone should be incentive to check it out- it's not a part 20 retread it is a new and fresh game....try it out. Expand
  35. Mar 28, 2013
    I wanted to like this game so bad, but ultimately just couldn't get into it. The art direction is fantastic but animations and textures are sub par (Why do characters arms move like action figures?) There was nothing I noticed that was really bad about game play or game structure, again, I just couldn't get into it. I hope they get to make a sequel because I think the elements for a great game are there they just didn't mix it right in my opinion. I know a lot of people adore this game and I can see how, it just wasn't for me. Expand
  36. Mar 26, 2013
    I'm so glad a friend let me download this free from his library. This game is dull and boring. Could not get into the story to save my life. Further more i didn't even finish the game. I don't understand the hype behind this stupid game.
  37. Mar 24, 2013
    I wrote an incredibly stupid review of this game before, so I'll just write a new one now. I have now beaten the game and I thought that it was really a decent game, it did get frustrating as I went on though. Gameplay wise the game is good, it feels great to pull off a perfect assassination without detection. Unfortunately the stealth mechanics weren't impressive and limited that from happening. I loved the steampunk environment of the city of Dunwall, but besides environmental design the rest of the graphics are just awful, like it should be in a game released in 2006. Graphics aren't really important, but I just felt like saying that since so many people seem to think that they are. I was disappointed by the story, mainly because it kind of sucks. Great stories should have great characters we care about, no single likable character with any sort of depth whatsoever is present. If you play games for the story, I would never recommend this game to you. I gave it an 8 because it's an original concept and I thought it was an engaging experience. Overall, it's a decent game, but it doesn't have enough content to be worth a full priced, $60 game in my opinion. Wait till it gets a price drop or buy it used. Expand
  38. Mar 20, 2013
    I’d give it a 9.5, which I rounded up to 10. The game was definitely not as I thought it would be. The entire game had a Bioshock-ish feel with its own atmospheric identity, which is its best feat. The set-pieces are varied.

Unfortunately the plot is not nearly as good as it could be, but the execution with the Bioshock-esque recordings etc. make a mediocre plot a better than average
    one. I think that alone makes it a worthwhile game to play. The past few years games have been way too focused on cutscenes. Luckily, Dishonored does not have many, so I can’t complain about the plot too much. Out of all of these stealth games this generation of games, I think the controls with this one seemed the easiest to use. Naturally, with any of these covert stealth games, the controls can be frustrating and you just want to pry yourself into your TV screen because switching between the powers is sometimes not as quick as one would desire. The powers are awesome. One thing I really liked is that you can combo them to how you would like to play. It had some great writing and a great plot. Many say that the game does kind of punish you for being what you are, an assassin, which is a valid point. However, it is definitely more difficult to keep the death count low, which is the point. The game length was fine. It promotes exploring. I found though that near the end I was getting tired of it though and just slaughtered everyone. Expand
  39. Mar 19, 2013
    Dishonored belongs to a rare kind of game. And because it is rare it is special. Not everything that is rare is good but Dishonored is. From the story to the visuals, from the characters to the gameplay. Dishonored is a (very) special experience to any gamer. Everything that is put on this game is there with a purpose. If there is a ledge or a walkway there is a different way to play. And what to say about Dunwall? Picture Rapture without the plasmid effects and put a rat plague instead, add a political conspiracy with a twist of mysticism and you have the most amazing setting since Bioshock. Better even in my opinion. Dishonored is pure gaming perfection! Expand
  40. Mar 15, 2013
    A true gem. Freedom to move, to play the game, good story, nice art. Worth every minute of my time. My only grime is that the RPG-lik element are so few that it might have been a better option to simply use a chest approach then going back to buy stuff.
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    Never have I seen a game in my entire gaming life that is as lively and interactive as Dishonored. The storyline is so intense it had me screaming at the screen and it actually persisted as a major challenge for me, something that games hardly ever do to me. If you are a really good story gamer like me, you would be able to just rush right through and beat it in almost no time, but this actually required some thinking and planning to get through this game. I rarely see games where there is such a good balance between stealth and action, and the scale stays prefect on this game. Arkane has definitely undone themselves, if only they would make a sequel to this game, that would make my day! Expand
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    it's an absolute masterpiece. it's pretty, very well balanced, all the elements work seamlessly, the stealth part is brilliant, music and visuals are different, artistic and well presented. it's great fun when your stealthy but if you get caught and the action heats up the game still holds it's own... perfection!
  43. Mar 5, 2013
    Put Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, and Bioshock in a blender and you get this game. Its really fun and has a million side quests that you feel compelled to do because the story is so great. I also enjoyed the fact there are mulitple ways to achieve your goal for every situation. The AI seems mentally challenged at times but other than that good game. Wish there was an addition of a Soliton radar or something though. 8/10 Expand
  44. Mar 3, 2013
    Probably just a little bit below 8. Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty good, it just didn't deliver as much as I hoped for (I'm probably a little biased as I was super hyped for it). The best aspects by far are the level design (already praised by many reviewers) and the stealth, which gave me a flashback to the old metal gear days. Once hits the fan and guards start to go after you, combat doesn't feel as crisp as i expected, is sort of clunky and chaotic, and it becomes evident that your powers are designed for stealth, not overt conflict. This I can forgive since you're an assassin, and....... well I guess you're not supposed to be proficient in both stealth and brawl, but whatever. Things I didn't like: the graphics, since they feel very dated (same issue as with Deus EX:HR); lack of skill development (your powers' scaling feels bland and straight forward, a scheeme similar to Skyrim's skill trees would've been much better). Overall it's a good package, and though it's a little bit short it surely ranks as one the best stealth games I've played of late. Expand
  45. Mar 3, 2013
    Dishonored is a very well made stealth game with a nice art style and high production values. Although the game is well polished and glitch free it's also a game that's difficult to really enjoy. First of all the story and characters are dull, you won't care who lives or dies or why. Most of your time spent playing the game is just trying to sneak through the level without being noticed which to me at least is quite boring. Getting stuck on a section can become very frustrating as dying means being sent back to a rather lengthy load screen (This is the PS3 version, can't comment on load times on other platforms). One area where the level design does impress is in the multiple paths you can take. This is no open world game though and Dunwall is simply a central hub with not a lot to do there. You do get to make some interesting choices in the game but these moments are fleeting. Overall Dishonored is a game which has some highs but mostly feels like hard work. Expand
  46. Feb 26, 2013
    Hmmm, i'm giving this an 8 because it's a very good game but i still feel it's been overhyped when so many reviewers are calling it GOTY. Though you can't deny that Dishonoured mostly achieves what it sets out to do polished gameplay with non linier level design, freedom to play how you want, some cool powers, and an interesting graphical style it also becomes apparent long before the end that the missions are repetitive and the plot is a bit dull. Although Dishonoured is always enjoyable ther's no real surprise or anticipation about what's coming next and ther's a constant, nagging feeling of "seen it all before and seen it done better". It just lacks that special oomph to be a true classic. Again, it's not that it's a bad game at all but it's just not the mindblowing, innovative experience many reviewers have hyped it up to be. Expand
  47. Feb 23, 2013
    A great game in my honest opinion that tries to do new things, which are all well implemented. The characters are all likeable, the story is decent enough, and the world is simply amazing. The only thing that bugs me is the lack of any New Game+ mode, but other than that, lots of replay value due to multiple endings and different approaches to each objective. Also, even though I acknowledge that the graphics are supposed to represent an artistic style, I think that the character models could be a lot better, and there were some autosaving problems but those were quite rare. However, these are all small issues in an otherwise great game. Expand
  48. Feb 19, 2013
    "Dishonored" is a hell of an experience. Although it is a very short game that can be beaten in under 10 hours or so, the game has a TON of re-playability and has numerous ways in which its missions can be beaten. You can kill upwards of 150 men throughout the game, or you can go through the entirety of the game without being seen or killing anyone. All of this is at the player's discretion and gives the player a lot of liberty in going about their business while being immersed in a very cool, dystopian atmosphere.

This game requires a lot of thinking and isn't easily accessible for those who like to run-and-gun. While you can always try to stay out in the open, run through the levels and take on all foes that get in your way, you probably aren't going to have much luck in doing so unless you have a large amount of power-ups or ammo. And, even then, you're going to find that isn't going to be the best way of going about things because getting detected will bring a LOT of attention your way, and it is definitely tough to get out of these situations when being approached by enemies from many different angles.

Stealth is definitely encouraged, though not required. If you struggle in stealth games (kind of like me), you're going to find this game to be a bit frustrating. You are going to find that it is better to take on opponents one-by-one instead of taking on 5 at once (unless you have a bunch of pistol or crossbow ammo, in which case you have a better chance). The crossbow and pistol are definitely very helpful in your quest, though. The crossbows allow you to take enemies out from a distance without letting others in the area (immediately) catch on to your whereabouts. The pistol, on the other hand, is very helpful when you need to get out of a bad situation in which you've been spotted. It allows you to knock enemies back and take them out with your sword (if they aren't killed on the first shot) with relative ease. Ammo goes quickly, though, so use it wisely as you move forward (if you aren't going for total stealth trophies, that is). The sword combat is good, but should probably be used as a last resort. Taking on many enemies at once when you only have your sword is probably going to get you killed.

Blink will immediately become your best friend. While it is a bit frustrating to control at times (sometimes you have trouble locking on to the point you want to reach), it becomes a necessary part as you move forward, whether you are focusing more on combat or stealth. Blink will get you onto ledges that you wouldn't normally be able to access. It is critical to use Blink, whether you are scoping out an area to plan an efficient attack or are trying to stay in the shadows to finish the game as stealthily as possible. You are going to be using Blink a lot to help you out and, for the most part, it works out pretty well. Also, saving often is very much encouraged, as well. You can save right in a certain spot so you don't have to work from a certain checkpoint if you mess up. Instead, you start right at the place where you save. This is HUGE, especially when one false movement can end your chance at earning some of the stealth trophies/achievements.

As for the story, it's pretty good but definitely not the strong point of the game, in my opinion. I think a lot of my criticism pertaining to the presentation of the story stems from the fact that the main character, Corvo, never speaks outside of exclamations of pain. I felt some character development on his end as you went through the game definitely would've helped create a larger attachment to the storyline. Instead, we just take a first person perspective where everyone just talks at him instead of to him, so it's a bit hard to say how Corvo feels while going about his business and makes it a little bit harder to get attached to the storyline. Anyway, it's just a small gripe, and it really doesn't set back the experience as a whole, which you will probably find very enjoyable, no matter how you play it. The story definitely makes you want to eliminate your key targets and restore your once good image by any means necessary.

All in all, I would recommend "Dishonored" to any fan of stealth games and anyone who doesn't get easily discouraged by a challenge. This game will definitely test your instincts, as will any good stealth game, while adding some nice innovations through supernatural abilities that will help you out along the way. "Dishonored" is a very engrossing gameplay experience that is well worth the money you pay for it.
  49. Feb 2, 2013
    Fun to an extent. That's what Dishonored truly is. For the first few hours, you will be amazed at what Arkane Studios has done. It's an amazing stealth game...then the game goes on. Sure the stealth is still amazing but the game continues to linger on with just a decent story. The art style is different, but it just doesn't look right in many situations. All games repeat themselves, and if done correctly, it works fine. But Dishonored truly gets dull in some areas and then it gets amazing all of a sudden. Dishonored is a great game, but it is definitely flawed and maybe Arkane can make a masterpiece next time because I know they have the potential. Expand
  50. Jan 25, 2013
    The game is great with all those powers that Corvo used but the graphic were bad . The story it was good but were there was something that is missing that is not making to love the game.
  51. Jan 25, 2013
    I had high expectations about this one. The videos, the reviews, the beautiful, haunting steampunk atmosphere. It feels to me they want to mimic Bioshock so desperatly... but they missed out the MOST IMPORTANT THING about Bioshock: an UNFORGETTABLE TALE. Dishonored's plot is simple, not compelling (at all). The game plays nice and all and it's a really cool, charming adventure. But I confess it got boring eventually. Not worthy of such hype, Good game, not great. Expand
  52. Jan 13, 2013
    You can and have to play it and then replay it and then replay it .... until you are sick of it. Amazing game. This is a classic example of a developer who does right by the gamers. Dishonored is primarily a stealth based experience but it does promote experimentation. The number of possibilities to approach a specific situation in the game is just remarkable. The developers have seriously put some thought into this. It is one of those gems for which I'd say I hope they do not make a sequel. Expand
  53. Jan 7, 2013
    i played this game for a hour and was not compelled to move any further. This was a absolute disappointment for a fan of games in the vein of Deus ex with horrible cliched characters and plot + clunky unresponsive controls. The problems listed above are not even the worst problem that is reserved for the false morality system which punishes the player for playing non-stealthy with more guards, rats, and a terrible "dark" ending. Bottom line for a game that promised freedom in combat and level design it completely misses and shows what type of a game is produced through too much hype and high, over rated critic reviews. 4/10 Expand
  54. Jan 7, 2013
    damn good game, i don't mind reading negative reviews on here because, everybody has an opinion, and occasionally i agree with some of the negative points, for example, corvo was hard to get attached to, but there were other characters that were developed. so yes that is not great but it doesn't ruin the game. it appears some users didn't finish the game, again that's cool, but they missed an awesome game that only got better. this game grew on you, if given a chance. i don't trust the user review averages on this site anymore because it seems that there are always haters that give great games punishing low scores. i loved the mood and atmosphere of the game. this one left me wanting more. when i finished the game it left me in a funk looking for my next adventure. can't wait for deadspace3. i thought it was a hair better than deus ex hr which i just finished. Expand
  55. Jan 6, 2013
    Very fun game, but the replay value is nonexistent and it is very shory. The overall game was a blast, you could unlock special powers like summoning mice to eat your foes, or you could just go around killing people with a crossbow and sword. You could play anyway you want. You can be stealthy or you can just go and kill enemies with guns blazing. But beware, the more people you kill, the darker your ending will be. I found the story to be very very intriguing and I thought the graphics were great in their own way. But the story is really short. I finished the story in about 6 hours and I was mostly taking a stealthy approach the whole time. Since there are multiple endings, you'd think the replay value would be high. Well it isn't after beating the game I had to desire to go back and collect runes and I had no desire to get to the alternate ending. After beating the game once, I was done. When the price drops down to 20 dollars, I think you should buy it, but for now, paying the full $60 would be a waste of money. Expand
  56. Jan 6, 2013
    The game is horrible on the PS3, it's a first person stealth, fast paced game. Playing it on the PC is the only option. The environments are amazing, the story is great, but on the PS3, it's almost unplayable. You're supposed to climb up buildings, walk along ledges, sprint away from enemies in some cases, and these things are almost undoable on the PS3, because it's almost impossible to see where you are going, or control your actions well enough. This game can't be played with the Dual Shock controller. Expand
  57. Jan 5, 2013
    Dishonored was a great game, it incorporated fairly new elements of game play, had a great story, and brought a very inspiring touch of environment. But I found myself bored when I had beat the game, it has very poor replay value. Sure you can do one play-through as a psychotic killer- and then another play-through as a careful assassin... but that's has far as the replay value goes. Excellent game-play with hardly any bugs, the story is invigorating, but once you've beaten the game its hard to pick up the controller again. Expand
  58. Dec 29, 2012
    Overhyped and overrated, this game is not near as good as I expected. A number of issues include a weak story, repetitive gameplay, abysmal graphics, and rushed stages.
  59. Dec 23, 2012
    Awesome game, which mix original features with the action and the dinamic gameplay that is caracteristic from all Bethesda´s games. A perfect present for this Christmas for all the lovers of the action, the adventure, the darkness and the sigile. A good history, with good graphics and better posibilities. Welldone, Bethesda!
  60. Dec 22, 2012
    The biggest complaint I have against Dishonored is that the story-telling (not the story, the story is great) is rather bad. I ended up skipping all of the parts where lord **** was blabbing in my face in fallout 3-esque fixed eye contact. It also suffers from most characters not having any personality whatsoever, they just exist to provide you quests and level ups. I can
  61. Dec 21, 2012
    Well, here is the just of it. The game had something to do with Bethesda but, it did not deliver like a game completely created by them. I expected an open world experience and honestly that is what the game should have been. There is just not much reason to play it more than once and even then, the story really didn't make me care about death of the empress or my imprisonment. That being said, it is not a bad game. I just would not pay full price for it. To be so linear in today's marketplace in gaming is absurd to say the least. Expand
  62. Dec 19, 2012
    This is a great game. The complaints for the game are ill-fitting. One of the game's so called "flaws" is that it is short. We all it is but it is meant to be replayed over and over again. I never encountered any particular glitches while playing. Overall, one of my favorite games.
  63. Dec 19, 2012
    Dishonoured takes a more creative approach than most video games and I really like how it has all these different choices you can decide on. Say you are entering a building where you're target is, you can decide which way to enter such as the front door (well duh!) a window or even through a sewer by possessing a fish. If you want, you can just find a non lethal approach to the whole game and kill no one which is highly unlikely to happen but still adds to the fun that you know you can kill or spare anyone you want. The ending of the game depends on how you play so if you just run an kill everyone, people will react differently, you might be betrayed and even the dialogue of the game changes. So if you choose that kind of approach than I can tell you the ending won't be pretty. I also love how it doesn't just have to be a stealth game as it's supposed to but can also be a normal killing game mixed with cool powers. These are some of the many things that make Dishonoured unique from other games. Something I dislike in Dishonoured is probably the lack of powers you actually get in this game compared to the variety there is. One of things I was most exited about when Dishonoured was announced was all those supernatural powers you could have in the game but then was heavily disappointed when I found out you can only choose slightly less than half of the breath-taking abilities. I found the powers as one of the most attracting things that brought me towards this game and am very disappointed with this. What's the point of bragging about all these powers you can use when you can only choose not even half of them? I also don't like it how there is no free roam as free roam with abilities like those could have unlimited potential. Just imagine being able to do ANYTHING you want with powers like those, if the whole thing was just free roam I still wouldn't hesitate a second giving it 100/100. Alias you can only imagine these excitement.

Overall:
    +Freedom of choice
    +Can be several types of genres depending on how you play
    + Different endings to the game
    +People reacting differently depending on how you play as well as the environment changing
    +Supernatural powers
    -Limited amount of powers available per a game
    - No free roam

In conclusion, Dishonoured is great game for people who like deciding how the game moves towards the conclusion and also for people who don't . I highly recommend this game.
  64. Dec 18, 2012
    There is so much promise in this game. Atmosphere is fantastic, controls are great but it was built as a stealth game and, geezzzz, there is no way to play through it with stealth unless you want to have no fun. The stealth component is tedious. You can't hide in the shadows, there's no safe place for you. Yet the game punishes you for killing and yet that's the most entertaining part. What a disappointment in my mind from a game that has so much going for it. Also, the hero, Corvo, has no voice/personality so it's really hard to be drawn to him. Bethesda went all out on atmosphere but fell short on finding a true identity as to how gamers should get through this. Go through a couple missions, you'll realize you have to kill to progress, unless you have the patience of a saint, and the game will punish you for that. If you have the patience to kill no one in a video game, and yet you can't hide in the shadows, well, bless you! Expand
  65. Dec 18, 2012
    Finally an action game you can complete without brining death to a single enemy. So naturally I did my best to kill everyone! Rarely have i played a game where killing is more enjoyable, creeping up behind an enemy and stabbing them in the neck, never gets old. Tone/Setting: Excellent - perhaps only surpassed by the original Bioshock

Gameplay: Outstanding - the best of the best of this
    generation

Graphics: Outstanding - as sharp as they are immersive Story: Ordinary - Not bad but nothing you would write home about, I don't care much for the characters, they neither add anything nor take anything away from the game. I was disappointed by the zero character development of Corvo and was never given a reason to care for the wellbeing of the empress. Story gets slightly more interesting towards the end. +Customisable weapons and magic
    +Brilliant stealth mechanics
    +Believable, fascinating and emotionally invigorating environments

-The ordinary story holds this game back from masterpiece status
    -written letters and book excerpts have no voice over: the last thing I want to do in a game is stop and read, its annoying and breaks up the action; I would have liked audiotapes like in bioshock. Recommended for: stealth lovers, people who enjoyed bioshock, or anyone who can appreciate an amazing game regardless of genre. Closing thoughts: You will remember Dunwall for its eeriness and thrilling gameplay, the same cannot be said for its weak characters and ordinary story. Overall: Amazing
  66. Dec 12, 2012
    Someday somebodies gonna get the whole stealth thing fig.... oh wait, they did. Still sufferes from the trial and error that killed the rest of them but at least gave us a few options. Thank you for not being the (horrible) Deus Ex 2. This is a stealth game for the rest of us.
  67. Dec 11, 2012
    I'm gonna say this...it's a love it or hate it game. Personally I loved it but I also didn't over hype it. In fact, I ended up loving it so much that this is the first game on the PS3 that I actually played through twice. I wanted to see the dark ending and the light ending and I also wanted to prove to myself that I could make it through without killing anyone! If you like stealth its great! I also loved how you can change the future of the game...example, kill lots of people, more weepers later in the game. Kill nobody, barely any weepers and the later game becomes a whole different story. Expand
  68. Dec 7, 2012
    Totally overrated. I've never been a fan of stealth games but since it was Bethesda game i thought i'd give it a change. Game is good fun at start and basic game mechanics are fine but very soon it gets so repetitive that it numbs my mind. The "world" (to call it world is just ridiculous - heck to even call it a city is just wrong because it just bunch of individual "Hollywood sets") is repulsive and there is no freedom to just explore it. I don't understand how this is referred as a sandbox game Expand
  69. Dec 7, 2012
    Dishonered is a easily one of Bethesda's best games in recent years and it seems more polished then one of their last games, Skyrim. Although there are some simular game play elements to Skyrim (the sneaking and the sword fighting), Dishonered can be quite linear. The open world game play of Bethseda's previous games has pretty much been put on the back burner to concentrate on the storyline. The gameplay mainly involves traveling from your base (where you can upgrade your tools and abilities) to mission levels. There are some clever consequences put into play depending how how tackled previous missions. The more guards you kill on your first visit to one of the districts of Dunwall, results in more Weepers (zombies) and rats appearing on your next visit to that region. If you were to takedown guards using non-lethal methods, then this can be avoided. This is only a couple of examples of the action/consequence elements of the gameplay.

As a fan of games like Fallout 3, Fallout: Las Vegas, Skyrim and the Deus Ex games, I really enjoyed this game, but I felt that the game itself was not long enough and that the "Blink" ability (teleportation skill) was a little unprecise to use. In the heat of battle, trying to teleport to a rooftop to escape combat can sometimes result in you mis-targeting the rooftop and teleporting into a crowd of enemy guards etc. Highly recommended, but don't expect a long journey.
  70. Dec 6, 2012
    So, what will you do with a drunken whaler? Feed him to the hungry rats for dinner? Slice his throat with a rusty clever? Shoot him in the heart with a loaded pistol? Or perhaps have him play Dishonored and explain to the rest of us where the hype of this game and the results of this game went drastically wrong? In a world of competitive but all too similar stealth games, ranging from Hitman, to Metal Gear, to the Arkham series, to Assassins Creed and more, stealth games remain an odd breed. Everything ranging from the map, to the A.I. to the perspective the developers put you in to even if the players choice of how they want to go about handling things are all aspects of what makes or breaks the fragile stealth genre. In the case of Dishonored, I feel that Arkhane Studios under publishing of the mighty cracked tower that is Bethesda, have taken every great idea that stealth games have given us this generation, put it in a smelting pot hoping to brew us one hell of a ghostly sneak attack adventure, but in all honesty, it falls short and even leaves a bad taste in many a mouth. Dishonored, not a bad game in the least, but honestly does not qualify as a good game either, in fact it is imprisoned right in the middle. Enough hype surrounded this title to grab many gamers attention, and delivered on quite a bit of those promises, but what this game needed was another year in the oven to crisp some of its good ideas into great ones. Dishonored focuses so much on its style of play and upgrades that it loses what makes a game full circle. It feels more like a very large test play or demo of a larger soon to be project, which is a shame because to potential shows us a near masterpiece but the final product shows us a mediocre experience littered with great ideas. Revenge solves everything is the theme to this dark and mythical world, taking place in a city known as Dunwall. A city build on the ocean and is ran almost completely on whale oil. You are Corvo, a protector of the Empress of Dunwall and have returned from a journey to seek help with the cities current crisis which is a plague being carried by rats. As if things were not bad enough already, you are soon framed for the murder of the Empress and the disappearance of the rightful heir to the throne, a young girl named Emily. Well after being arrested and beaten for months you manage to escape by the help of some unknown friends who later will reveal themselves as gentlemen who seek to correct the wrongs that have been bestowed upon you and to return Dunwall back to its proper order. Restoring Dunwall in this case is stalking the streets in a frightening mask and seeking vengeance how you see fit. It is not super original, but as I said before the game is not full circle. Many things about it needed to be fleshed out more, the story being one of them, along with its looks as well. Art style wise the game is creative, and deserves your attention at a walking pace. But textures suffer greatly and it is unfortunately one of the first things you will notice when the game fades in for the first time. The game really does not hold a 2012 look. Environments are nice in design and idea but bland in their outcome. Many characters will be able to reach through closed doors and walls and glitch onto the environment. The A.I. is atrocious and this is a huge fault in any stealth game. The game is challenging in trying to never get caught yes, but no thanks to the A.I. which can walk directly past you at times and not even see you. Nor do they respond correctly to situations. You can literally cut the power to what is protecting them and keeping you out, and they wont even respond, nor will they attempt to fix it or even check on the problem. Not to mention no one is ever even guarding the power sources anyway. It is hard to take such a spooky stealth game serious when the assassin is up against morons. You will still find it a challenge to sneak around the many different paths of Dunwall, but that is more due to lack of knowing the environment and its odd use of first person. I guess that is a good thing though, because without it the game would be a breeze. Dishonored is a brief, not all too interesting game, with enough creative ideas, violent and interesting powers, and choices of ways to take on your mission that it is worth your while. However I found myself forcing my way through about mid game, because the story is told blandly through reading and card board cut out characters with very dry voice acting. Dishonored takes its cues from Assassins Creed, Deus Ex, and Bioshock more than anywhere else, but all three of these games out do it. Its like the little brother of the stealth games that is more creative but no one will hear him out. I don't think we have seen the last of Corvo, and that is a good thing, I welcome him to sneak back into our consoles again for a more rounded out adventure. Expand
  71. Dec 4, 2012
    Overrated. One word description to describe this so called masterpiece of a game. Critics praised the voiceacting and the animation of the characters, I must've been playing a completely different game. The A.I. was praised for their realistic reactions. Um, what? The A.I. is worst than that of most games in the stealth genre. How am I able to stand in broad daylight, less than 50 feet from an NPC, and they can't see me? My stepson watched me play and saw me crouched under some cover, and not covered well at all, and he started laughing at the dumb guards who walked right up to me, turned and looked straight at me, and seemed confused as to how I hid so well. The graphics (so called water paint style) were very underwhelming also. The stealth mechanics don't work well in first person, and very few games pull it off successfully. This is not one of those games. Stealth plays much better in 3rd person view. Wow was I disappointed after so looking forward to getting this game.

There are some good parts. The supernatural powers are cool to use along with the air assassinations that never get old (but too easy to pull off due to the dumb guards). The world is well designed, with a lot of different paths to accomplish my goal. This had so much potential, but in my opinion, it was all wasted due to terrible AI, bad graphics, bad voice acting, bad animations, and the fact it's in first person as opposed to third person.
  72. Dec 4, 2012
    creo que este juego es prometedor como para una segunda versión de verdad que me a dejado con la boca abierta con la historia que presenta y como la plantean tiene muy buenos gráfico sonido y una mezcla extraña de tecnologías de diferentes épocas lo cual le da ese toque lujubre al juego no sabes que año ni en que época se desarrolla por que todo esta mezclado eso es genial te hace pensar e inmaginar que sera esta historia ?! aun estoy esperando a ver que cosas van a sacar para comprar en la tienda por que es muy curioso ver como seria una descarga de contenido adicional... este juego sin duda a mi y unos cuantos amigos nos a gustado mucho pero lo que no me gusta es que el personaje tiene poderes que dices y te sientes como un dios pero en el mapa creo que le falto mas algo de accesibilidad a zonas como para generar mas tácticas y aparte el modo mas difícil no es tan difícil de resto sin mas nada que decir que buen juego!! Expand
  73. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is great and its universe too! It's a pleasure to see a studio creating a brand new IP, this must be encouraged :)
    First hours in the game were a (really) great experience, but as long as I progressed in the game, things just went harder and harder but the gameplay, enemies and environments remain (almost) the same. It become repetitive and - I'm sorry to say that -... boring.
  74. Nov 30, 2012
    Best new original game of the year for sure. What more is there to say that hasn't alreay been said. It's an epic game that you just have to play to realise how awesome it really is.
  75. Nov 29, 2012
    An amazing game! The city of Dunwall and is beautifully crafted and feels so alive. (Well, aside from the plague victims, that is) But like I said, the setting is interesting, and the game itself is a lot of fun to play. The various ways to get to and kill (or not kill) a target are fun to play out. And although the story is a bit of a cliché with the whole "Get revenge and everything will fix itself." it still kept me interested. And the reason I didn't give this game a 10? Well, it's for petty and small reasons for the most part. I mean, the game felt...short. I would have loved to explore more of Dunwall and meet or have more targets to hunt after. I also would've loved to know more about the city and its people, and not just through books. And honestly the "character" I liked the most was the Heart that told you about the city, I didn't feel all that connected to anyone else. And finally, the lights. Why couldn't you destroy them? Or at least pull a switch or destroy a whale oil tank to make them go out. It is a small thing, I know. But I kind feel that something like that belongs in a stealth game. Expand
  76. Nov 25, 2012
    I sadly thought this game was going to be unique and a major change in the industries but I was wrong. The trailers were misleading along with countless reviews. The game has many fine aspects and ideas but all are horribly used. At the beginning the game seems interesting and exciting, but shortly after it feels like you have done everything before and the missions get repetitive. It also feels as if a large part of the game was missing, content wise. Their were limited weapons and abilities. Also the stealth aspect was poorly done which lead to alot of problems and very many of the characters seemed uninteresting. The story was also quite short and very predictable after about the third mission. Also their was no real need for strategies, But when you used strategie it was time consuming and easily destroyed by countless bugs and a poorly made rating system called "The Chaos metre" which counted the times you were seen, the number killed or left unconscious was also poorly executed. Finally the graphics and the rendering system in place were absolute terrible, it's 2012, not 2008. Many times when rotating around I was met with quite a fair bit of lag on a machine meant to handle resource hogging games, but apparently the devs never got the memo on efficiently rendering and good graphics and little ol'e textures. In all honesty this game had some great ideas but failed to execute them properly and was followed by a dull story. I will give this game a 4 for the slight enjoyment I had. So all in all, rent the game Expand
  77. Nov 23, 2012
    Dishonored was a really fun experience. It's a different game, both in looks and gameplay. I love the art style, almost like a painting rather than a cell shaded cartoon. The city of Dunwall is beautifully detailed and alive. The different sections are well designed to explore for runes and bone charms; or sneaking around for stealth kills. I love the controls myself and found them easy to use. Once you start unlocking all the awesome powers there is no limit to how you can dispatch enemies. The game is more centered on using stealth, but the real fun is had when using your imagination and abilities in brutal ways! However, the more people you kill and bodies you leave in your wake, the more the plague spreads and rats swarms increase. It has an effect on the ending you get also. The story is pretty good, revenge is always the best motive to go on a killing spree and take bad people out of power. You always have choices to make in this game; whether it's deciding to assassinate a target or expose him, or sneak around the levels choosing your own path to an objective. This game gives you one of the best feelings of choosing your own way to accomplish things. There are some minor complaints as there are with any game, but they can be overlooked. The good things about this game far outweigh the bad. Expand
  78. Nov 19, 2012
    Buy this game! The game is worth the full 59.99 price! Beautiful graphics. Multiple ways to finish a mission. Choices that you must make change the experience you have!
  79. Nov 17, 2012
    This game is an absolute rent! Everything about this game is amazing....the art design, the fluidity, the openness, the game play, Its the things that this game lacks that bring it down....it needs a longer story and it needs multi-player. Multi-player would have been amazing in this game with the different powers, all they needed to do was include a basic death match and much fun would have been had. But in today's game review world, developers shy away from including basic or extra things because journalist review video games like books rather than video games. If this game stayed the same, but included just a basic and slightly flawed multiplayer it would have gotten much worse reviews....because college-like smug reviewers grade every aspect of a game, and grade the entire game based upon a single whole experience. Like a multiplayer game will come out with the best multiplayer ever, but its single player will suck....its will get a 7.0 lets say. Now if the same game was released with the same multiplayer, but they just cut out the single player, the game would score a 9.0. Games are being critisized for having too much content...GAMES arnt books, you DONT HAVE to play certain portions to play the rest of the game....in a book or movie if something extra is included you have to watch/read it because it is part of a single entity....GAMES CAN HAVE multiple dimensions and routes of play and a game review shouldnt suffer because a flawed thing is included as extra content. This is probably why Dishonered doesnt have basic multiplayer, but I am not going to sit here and act like a smug literary **** am a gamer and I am reviewing a game, not an english major reviewing a game. THIS GAME SUFFERS FROM LACK OF MULTIPLAYER, even if the multiplayer sucked it would have been better. ALSO IT IS TOO SHORT! Games cant be reviewed like movies because THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE 20+ hours long and cost $60!!!

Story = 10
    Graphics = 9
    Gameplay = 6 (-4 for lacking multiplayer and length
    Replay = 4 (-5 for lacking multiplayer and length)
    Originality = 10(withholding multiplayer in a game like this is original!)
    Originality = 9
  80. Nov 15, 2012
    I feel like the game is overall well put together through the story and the mechanics of the game. If anyone remembers Tenchu on the Playstation, this game has a similar feel to it gameplay wise. There is a different take on magic and majority of the areas in the game are exploreable, I find more and more I can do everytime I play. Dishonored is well worth the money especially since you will spend weeks playing it, and you will spend weeks. Expand
  81. Nov 15, 2012
    There's no doubt that Dishonored (Dishonoured as it should be in the UK - I think) is a very well designed, highly polished and extremely playable game.

However I was disappointed with it, the world has been beautifully designed and almost as many features regarding the environments have popped up in games mags as have reviews of the actual game but this isn't a sandbox world and you as
    the player character are funnelled back and forth between an implausible hub area by a small man on a boat who seems ready to collapse from apathy to everything in existence, so all you end up doing is ploughing on from one enemy infested area to the next - much like the original Metal Gear Solid.

I give the game world special mention over say, the story or the weapons, because the game and the studio behind it seem to demand, without mercy, that you fall in love with this 'steampunk-inspired-neo-Victorian' cesspit and whilst it's obvious that some love has gone into the design of the rotten town of Dunwall it utterly fails to make you really feel anything for the characters, the mission or even the wretched poor who are to be found all over the place either dead, dying or mere seconds away from being brutalised to death by one of the City Watch (God, I hope they didn't use Terry Pratchett's character Sam Vimes for inspiration) or else standing around just waiting to mug you off to the guards (who'll probably kill you both for the trouble) so the morality fails in utterance.

I'm told it's possible to complete the game without killing anyone, though why you'd make/buy an FPS with that in mind is beyond my humble intellect, but the reasons for opting to do this rather than carve a bloody path from credits to ending scene are scant and confusing.

We're perhaps supposed to believe that the City Watch are just working joe's duped by the plutocrats into believing that your character (Corvo - bloody stupid name - the former chief of guards for the former empress) murdered the Empire's figurehead and are supposed to avoid shooting them because ignorance isn't punishable by death (unlike standing, walking, talking, trying to eat, wanting food, standing in the shadows, standing in the light, standing near the water, standing in the water, standing looking at the sky, standing looking at the ground or just generally having the nerve to be alive and not super wealthy if I'm understanding the C.W.'s own criteria for what's punishable by death) yet we'll often see them taking bribes off businessmen, trying to shake down civilians for medicine which is meant for babies and children and even defending mad **** who purposefully infect people with a fatal plague.....so when the guard fells me and shouts "I'll have a drink tonight for all the good men you've killed." I'm not searching my soul to check if my gaming morals are intact, I'm searching my recent memory to see which 'good men' he could possibly be referring to.

The weapons are a mark of their design-inspired time, single shot and slow to reload but lethal if aimed right, the magic elements are ok and make stealthing from the first person perspective just short of tolerable rather than totally maddening and the story is awful, really awful.

The design team at Arkane have really done a great job designing an interesting world, it's what they've populated it with that's the problem.
    It's a common motif throughout that the rich live by exploiting the poor and the whole thing stinks of an attempt at a "1%" criticism. yet if you stare out at the horizon of this port town you'll see what looks like a residential area that's totally intact - no columns of smoke, no piles of corpses and no noticeable signs that indusry has even stopped - so the themes of opulence and pestilence don't quite seem to work out and the real enemy seems to be the unquestioning stupidity of the City Watch and the glee with which they pursue their morally unambiguous duties.

A naive tool was on the throne, now a bald masochist is on the throne and your going through the motions to put a poorly behaved brat on the throne instead - is the basic thread of the story line.....oh and most rich people are bad, disease affects only the poor and whale oil is wonderful!!!
  82. Nov 13, 2012
    This year hasn't been the best year for games; I bought only two games that were released this year before Dishonored and I was a bit disappointed with them both. Mass Effect 3 simplified the choices too much and gave the series a piss-poor ending, and Max Payne 3 just wasn't that compelling to play. It was after that that I went into a period of not playing any video games for a few months, so when my friend told me about how awesome Dishonored looked from the trailer, I just had to take a look at the game, and boy was that a good idea. Dishonored is the game that I needed to get back into gaming; it's absolutely brilliant on almost every aspect, from the story, to the characters, to the stylish (albeit glitchy) graphics, to the freedom of choice, to the fun gameplay, to the amazing world to explore. The game is fantastic. Never have I played a game which gives the player so much freedom on how to play. There are probably 50 or more different ways that you can tackle any situation in the game, whether it be climbing in through a window, possessing a rat or fish and going through a pipe into a building, shooting your way through the enemies or sneaking past your enemies and through the front door. The possibilities for gameplay are astounding in Dishonored, and this game is anything but a linear title. There are so many ways of tackling a situation, and the game gives you so many opportunities to be creative in the way you play. There are even tonnes of options in the way you assassinate the target; hell, you don't even have to assassinate the target! It's an unbelievably fun game with incredible gameplay and an amazing amount of freedom. Expand
  83. Nov 13, 2012
    great game! very polished story and graphics. good level of challenge and a variety of ways to play. wish it were a complete open world, but i can't really complain, lots of plot twists and turns. highly recommended
  84. Nov 11, 2012
    Disclaimer: I judge all games through the prism of a PS3 owner. Not because I am a fan-boy, because I have enjoyed the best software possible over the last seven years. There have been many third party studios that have built games that transcend the difference between consoles, Bethesda and Arkane Studios do not accomplish that here. There is nothing inherently wrong with Dishonored, the visuals are decent, I didn't encounter any glitches and there is fun to be had. My fear when this game was announced was that there wouldn't be enough direction and that is the opinion I have ended up with. It's mostly repetitive. There are plenty of powerful abilities, it's great fun to use them all, but they all provide different ways to do the same thing. The crux of the game is as follows; You have to get from here to there, there are guys in between, do stuff to them or don't. The end. If mindless fun and violence are your craving then Dishonored will deliver and you should add a few digits to my score. If you expect some substance with your button pressing, skip it. Expand
  85. Nov 10, 2012
    i was cautious to get this game because the last bethesda game for ps3 was such a bug ridden mess. however, this game is truly great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  86. Nov 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It took me some time to get used to the controls of the ps3, especially because the game is in ego-perspective. All in all it's a very good and solid game. It's just a little bit too short if you ask me. I finished almost every chapter in stealth mode to get a different ending. I guess it takes longer if you play it that way than just rushing through every quest. But it has a great replay value. I enjoyed playing it Expand
  87. Nov 6, 2012
    In a nutshell... The gameplay is fantastic but the story leaves something to be desired. From the E3 trailors and all the supporting advertising we were promised something truly different - a masterpiece that would rival some of the best games of this generation. Unfortunately Dishonered does not quite meet those expectations, but it is a pretty great game regardless. The world is intuitively designed and each mission allows you to explore the range of options available to your playstyle - each mission plays like a mini sandbox with a multitude of NPC's that can help or hinder your progress dependent on the choices you make.
    The key is "choice" - something which is often promised but rarey delivered. The game can be played in stealth, outright carnage, or somewhere in between. Each method has its benefits and its entirely up to the player how you approach the various situations you encounter. However, appealing as all this may sound, Disonoured doesnt quite get the details right: The story which holds it all together is somewhat predictable and the structure of the game (set over 9 missions) breaks up the narrative. The soundtrack is nothing to get excited about, and your foes are often just guards with pistols.
    Despite the minor shortcomings its still great and is probably the best single player game on the market right now. When/if you play it, you will proably see that the game is a conceptual masterpiece with a few downsides. Highly reccomended nevertheless
  88. Nov 6, 2012
    Got a late review here so I'm going to keep it short, just like the game did.. Dishonored is a truly special game, it's a unique sandbox game with great atmosphere, enjoyable gameplay and a pretty okay story. Still, the open style of the game means that the story did suffer, it feels like a classic revenge tale, but at times you might miss out on things simply because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since it is a singleplayer game, I really do wish they would have put more effort into the story, since the game appears to highlight just that. Still, the reason why I liked this game was the nice visuals and the gameplay, playing this I wish more devs would implement similar teleportation mechanics, it's really fun and USEFUL. To finish this review off, I gotta say it's a good game, but flawed, I'm giving it a solid 7/10 since while it's a cool game, it could've used a lot more polish on... Everything, although I can recommend it to fans of stealth and adventure games. Expand
  89. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored Review
    The highlight of E3 has finally arrived and being one of the only new series his year gamers across the globe get ready to play one of the best games of the year so far. Dishonored comes to us from Arkane Studios and Bethesda and the Besthesda influence really rubs off on this one too. The story is pretty standard, Empress gets murdered, princess gets kidnapped and of
    course you are framed for it, you are Corvo Attano the former bodyguard and it is your job to avenge the Empress's death and put the rightful heir on the throne. The story here is nothing original with some predictable twists but provides a good backdrop for the chaos going around in this city. Yes not only is the Empress dead but the city is still suffering from the rat plague which gives the city a certain lack of hope and happiness. The world is extremely detailed and evolves according to your actions, depending on who you kill and how many people you kill. The more you slaughter the more rats and the darker to outcome at the end. This adds a heap of replay value straight up to see the different outcome of the 9 missions and the ending. True to Bethesda fashion, the first mission is of course a prison break where you learn all the combat ropes and the different physical actions you can perform. The level design here is very open ended like the Thief and Hitman series, you can even get through the game without killing a soul, there are a million possibilities in these levels. Even more replay value, there are ghost bonuses and low chaos challenges to add difficulty. Talking about that, the difficulty settings here are pretty off, if you want a good time definitely turn it up to Hard or Very hard. Early you gain you magical abilities, to get these powers you must collect runes scattered around the world and these are powers like teleportation, possession, time bending and there is even a Fus Ro Dah. There are also passive abilities to get too like extra health, bodies disappear when killed and others. Graphically the game is perfectly fine but I think the developers were a bit confused when it came to art direction, were they going for cartoony or were they going for serious steampunk, I have no idea but regardless the visuals are fine. What baffled me is the lack of a substantial soundtrack, ambient music provides a little effect but it isn Expand
  90. Nov 2, 2012
    There's little to be said about Dishonored, its Bio-Shock meets Thief with a hint of Skyrim & Assassins Creed. Dishonored is a great title but there were a few things that could have turned the title from Great to Masterpiece. You are instantly introduced into a world of politics as the Main Man, Antagonist, Hero, Anti Hero and the list can go on, Corvo Atano, a prolific bodyguard of an empress who is assassinated asap in the game by unknown assassins at this point, Corvo is simply framed with the murder, leaving little to be known about the empress but before her death it shows glimpses of you having previously established a close relationship with Jessamine (the empress) but more importantly a close bond with her daughter and only heir, the empresses warm hearted daughter Emily who is kidnapped in the process of the murder of her mother. The plot is simple find and save Emily, it felt a bit generic with your average plot twist and as simple as the Main Story is the side missions is what makes this game a complete conscious ride and keeps the replay value at a good height, even with the short amount of main missions (being only 9) there is a certain point where it felt that some missions had more depth then others, where the odd ones felt like they were just fillers where the super natural powers you possess made the mission a fun ride instead of the mission it self. The assassinating is where ALL the fun is with a array of supernatural powers given to you from the Demi God known as the Outsider, which he does give you that slight chill at times, with your new found powers gives you the chance and opportunity to either play extremely ruthless or completely silent throughout the whole game. As for visuals, DON'T be expecting stunning visuals like Uncharted or Skyrim, 80% of the locations have a dark tone to it with almost every location being bland but it does have the rare areas in the game that shows some nice contrast but overall it feels like a nightmare has taken place with a bit of life being hidden deeply inside the locations. This games value comes all down to pure game play and its conscious driven plot. The cons would be its lack of plot design/depth and its shifty stealth system which at times you feel completely disguised but then some how you have been spotted from meters away also the combat system did feel a bit generic and it felt the final blow was the only different action after you have performed a array of 1-2 slash combos which is luckily saved by its creative ideas of using your super natural abilities. The load screens were a bit long at times and some characters could have had more depth, I barely had any sort of technical problems in my experience with the game only freezing up on me twice on all my play throughs, i say the frame rate was good and the exposure of glitches were rare.

Plot - 7
    Gameplay - 9
    Originality - 7
    Technicality - 9
    Replay Value - 8
  91. Oct 31, 2012
    This FPS is really good for the following reasons: stealth (like an old school Clancy game), an oddly wide array of gadgets and open-worldness (not completely but enough to be odd for an FPS), you hang out in a pub all the time (somehow, yes, in an FPS), save-anywhere, and a range of settings for **** who need regenerative health and settings for badasses who hate regenerative health. Boom.
  92. Oct 31, 2012
    Loved the game, kept me involved for many days, great game play and story. If you enjoy being a part of the game and making important descions you will like the game.
  93. Oct 30, 2012
    I cant believe anyone would review this game poorly, it's the nailed on PS3 game of the year. The story is fantastic, it had me gripped the whole way through. I went for the good ending first of all and it was a joy to play through again to get the darker ending. The game is much better suited being played stealthily, however the sheer variety of ways to kill people makes it a joy to play as an evil bastard. The graphics are great and the city of Dunwall is a fantastic little sandbox. I cant rate this game highly enough, it's better than Deus Ex: Human Revolution and can sit happily alongside MGS4 in my collection. Overall a brilliant game that should not be overlooked by anyone. Expand
  94. Oct 30, 2012
    I rarely actually do user reviews but I just finished Dishonored an hour before writing this and I'm simply left with some odd feeling of incompletion. I mean I did like the game world, I liked the story and concept, powers and stealth mechanics (felt pretty awesome by the end) but the entire game just seemed sort of awkward to me. It was as if the game didn't try to go that extra mile with the acting and the way the whole thing ended just seemed unfinished. I did read before release that there wouldn't be an actual boss encounter in the end but the way it all ended still sort of disappointed me because the last target was like the main antagonist and you just kill him like all the others, done and roll the credits...

I liked the game overall but really just feel like something is missing from the experience as a whole : / I don't know if all the mainstream blockbuster games have spoiled me over the years or what, though it surely seems that most critics adore this game... I don't know how I feel about it, probably a 7,5 :S
  95. Oct 29, 2012
    The game's biggest --perhaps only-- flaw is its inability to wrap the complex narrative up in a memorable way. Considering how rich the rest of the game is (both in terms of mythology and gameplay) I was sad at the non-ending that greeted me upon the end of Corvo's rather straight forward "save Emily" quest. Maybe they're pulling a Fallout 3 and planning on releasing the ending in DLC form. Or maybe they're pulling a Bioshock and planning on giving us a proper ending with a direct sequel. Either way, a huge opportunity was lost and, in the process, Dishonored went from being a probable Game of the year to simply a very good game. Expand
  96. Oct 29, 2012
    It takes a few levels to realise that, for a game which offers you multiple ways to play, you have to adapt to play it the way it needs you to. On Very Hard, Dishonored is an absolute nightmare at first. Even towards the end you'll sometimes be detected and won't be sure what's wrong. But oh - for those many moments where it works, where it pushes storytelling in FPS games far beyond what you've ever seen before, where you'll leave the house in real life (gasp!) wanting to blink, to use dark vision, to sleep dart the cat next door. When the last level comes around, you'll realise that you've been trained the entire time to become the ultimate badass and it has to end there. Because by then, you have become completely unstoppable. Yes, the controls take a little getting used to. Yes, the field of vision available is a little hard to get used to. And yes, you should stay away if Call Of Duty is the only game you know how to play. But for those who can easily get past all of the above, Dishonored is a beautiful, well-realised and deeply engrossing experience for which I sincerely hope there'll be a sequel. Thank you Arkane, thank you Bethesda, thank you Corvo and the city of Dunwall! Expand
  97. Oct 28, 2012
    This game is amazing. Unique world with unique approaches to the lore. Branching and multiple pathways for every level and the terrain between levels makes it highly interesting to try and find the best routes. Initial reviews I read of this game mainly had issue with the length of the game, given the fact there are multiple endings and completely customizable play-styles, this game will have you running through multiple times, each play-through will present itself slightly different and unique outcomes. Expand
  98. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I imagined this game to be very much like Bioshock which put me off if I am honest. I can understand why people like Bioshock, it's just not my type of game. I really didn't like the art style or story very much. Anyway, I think the reason I initially likened it to Bioshock was because of the art style. After reading several reviews on Dishonoured I decided to give it a chance. I am so glad I did. The story is fantastic... it really draws you into the world and before you know it hours have passed without you really having achieved that much in the game world. The game has great characters, a great story and best of all an amazing character to control in a totally believable city full of atmosphere. Exploration will see you collect runes around the city of Dunwall which can be used to upgrade your supernatural abilities such as Blink which allows you to teleport short distances or the ability to posses rats or fish to access small areas. All abilities can be upgraded and a particular playing style can be favoured dependant on your choice to be a stealth type assassin, an all out gung-ho no nonsense brawler or somewhere inbetween. The game presents you with missions and additional side quests to perform should you wish to stray from the main path, all of which are fun and rewarding in their own right. Puzzles are clever and never a chore as is often the case with this type of game. Missions are presented for you to complete and it is really up to you how you complete them. I have never played such a polished and exciting game that genuinely gives the player the choice of how to go about the task. You really can use your imagination to complete missions and in most cases you are not restricted by the game. Give this game an hour of your time and I guarantee you will be completely hooked. One of the games of the year for me. Amazing. Expand
  99. Oct 26, 2012
    The game controls very nicely and the stealth is nearly masterful. The atmosphere fits the game's theme and helps the player feel like they are a part of Dunwall. Menus and upgrades are easy to navigate and the player is heavily rewarded for exploring. Where Dishonored falls is the story. The game follows a straightforward mission system with levels that feel decidedly smaller the second time around. The morality choices are somewhat ridiculous in context and levels barely change based on your decision.
    Overall, you should play Dishonored for the gameplay and feel of the world, not the story.
  100. Oct 24, 2012
    You choose what way you want to play in this game. You can go all out and run around and kill everything or you can try a more stealthy approach. You CAN run threw this game pretty quickly but atleast this game is somewhat different from the things we have been seeing latley. I think this is a good game but I also think that people will forget about this game pretty quickly. I would actually give this game a 7.5 but we can't do that on Meta Critic. Don't get me wrong the game is good and in a way it's unique but in another way "we've seen these types of games before" I don't know if the way I phrased that makes any sense but anyway. Graphics are pretty decent,not that I care about them, I don't really care about story either but this games story is lacking ingrediants. Gameplay is pretty good too. I found the game to be easy and most people that know me know that I like hard games which this gen lacks so bad except Demon Souls/Dark Souls...If yo are looking for a challenge in this game you will not find it. However it is a decent game that deserves a rent and if it happens to be your cup of tea then buy it. I wont be disappointed if this games recieves GOTY, although I do not think it should be, but this year has already had a lot of games that I was excited for and was disappointed in many of them. This game doesn't disappoint me, just there are better games out there than this one. I'm just happy that it's not a Call of Duty game.. Expand
  101. Oct 14, 2012
    The GOOD: awesome stealth gameplay, cool powers, easy and responsive controls, freedom to achieve objectives the way you want, good graphics and astonishing art style, rich world and decent story.
    The NOT SO GOOD: soundtrack, melee combat doesn't feel right, no cutscenes at all and uninteresting voice acting.
    In the end: Dishonored is a MUST PLAY! Like most of games, Dishonored isn't
    perfect, but even so is a remarkable experience. The atmosphere of the game feels unique. The addition of some cutscenes and a better selection of tracks for the soundtrack would have built an even more interesting experience. The stealth approach works flawlessly. Some may get disappointed by how the melee combat works, like I did, but if you enjoy a good stealth gameplay, you won't even get bugged by this fact.
    So, that's it: 10/10 to Dishonored.

1. Nov 27, 2012
    Well, Arkane, you did what so few games have done this generation: you got me to want to come back to play Dishonored annually. Very, very few games have that honor, but I just can't imagine ever getting tried of Dunwall. What a wonderful game.
  2. You can combine Corvos weapons and superpowers in an almost infinite of ways, which can result in some pretty satisfying outcomes. Throw a proximity mine, called a spring razor, on a rat. Then take possession of the rat and walk up to the nearest guard. Then watch the limbs fly. [November 2012, p.66]
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    It is a major accomplishment and for all its ambition it succeeds where it counts, by transporting you to a world and empowering you to do with it you wish, creating unscripted and unexpected moments that feel unique to you. It is at these times that it becomes more than just an enjoyable stealth action game, but something truly special.