7.8

1. May 1, 2015
    Stealth games are so boring, especially in first person view where you can't see all you awesome moves. You just have to imagine it. The controls are mostly a struggle. Below average graphics and characters appendages go through walls and floors. Small ugly world, short-boring-run of the mill, dystopia story. I can see why this I.P. got dumped by Bethesda.
  2. Apr 2, 2015
    I'm actually surprised this game has such a high rating. I only bought this game (a while ago) because it was developed by Bethesda Studios which made the ridiculously amazing Skyrim.

This game has to be one of the worst I have ever played. The story line is terrible, controls are heavy and slow and the graphics are just embarrassing (hands bigger than heads type of graphics). The

The overall concept of the game is completely confused, it seems to be set in the 1700's or an Victorian England kind of vibe, yet there are futuristic weapons and technology all over the place! It doesn't make sense to me. There are pretty much no positives to this game!

Overall this game is just bizzare and really really poor. One to forget from Bethesda. 3/10
  3. Mar 29, 2015
    What is it with devs and FPSs. This is a game that would've looked and played much better in 3rd person. Aside for that, I played this game for a whole 2 hours before deleting from my hard drive. That FP perspective was really giving me a headache and with all the magic spells and childish nonsense it felt like another BioShock. Maybe it just wasn't for me.
  4. Mar 12, 2015
    the greatest strength of this game is its art design and the options it gives you to complete your missions. this is not a completely open world game but definitely gives you lots of room to explore and it is far from linear and is one of the best stealth games I have played in a while, if you choose to play it stealthily. the only problem with that is that there are definitely some partsthe greatest strength of this game is its art design and the options it gives you to complete your missions. this is not a completely open world game but definitely gives you lots of room to explore and it is far from linear and is one of the best stealth games I have played in a while, if you choose to play it stealthily. the only problem with that is that there are definitely some parts where stealth or fighting were a much better option but for the most part both options were even. being stealthy is harder but is much more rewarding while fighting is easier but has consequences. I like that dynamic and it is done excellently. the few problems I have were with the characters and dialogue, they were good but you could tell that they had so much potential to be soooo much better which keeps this game from reaching its potential. the game is also to short, not like it feels like it ruins the game in any way, but by the end of the game you are really wanting more unfortuently. I feel like it could have been atleast another 4 hours longer but at least there is a lot of replayability. I think if they were to make a sequel these complaints would be solved and we would have a nearly perfect game. Expand
  5. Feb 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a good game but I didn't enjoy it's game mechanics because it makes little use of dodging and moving around carefully, the places you fight in has no covers, enemies run at you and even though exposed you can't make use of that.. it's too average on game mechanics, but playing through the first time it had all the elements in its atmosphere to keep me interested and inspired, the plot twist was brilliant, but the ending (low chaos) again fails to move me and rather feels odd as incentive that's kept me going to that stage is done through a quick time event or rather none at all. Expand
  6. Feb 8, 2015
    I am The Destroyer. I will break games, complain about the littlest detail, and tell you whether or not the game is worth buying. A lot of things to say here, but can't due to the 5000 character limit. No mentioning of DLC will be in this review.
    Dishonored is an Action-Stealth game, released on 2012. Despite it's genre, it is recommended for newcomers to do their first playthrough without worrying about the stealth. That will allow studying of layouts for when a stealth run ever gets attempted.

1. Story
    There isn't much story here. You can play this entire game without ever knowing what's going on. Here's the basic jest of it: you are a wanted man for killing the Empress. Every mission you play will have city guards attempt to see you out as you try to accomplish various objectives throughout the game. The game itself leaves no secrets and informs you that more people you kill, the darker the overall outcomes will be. Will you play the good-hearted ninja? Or will you play the butchering assassin?

2. Voice Acting
    It's possible the voice acting could be improved, but it isn't the worst thing in the world. And if you're doing a stealth run it will be the least of worries.

3. Graphics and Visuals
    Yet, another area that receives only average feedback. The character models look like giant clay dolls walking around, so there's no love here. But every other artistic area in this game is superb. When you walk (or sneak) around town it really does feel like the early 1900's. And the animations for powers will take you by surprise.

4. Gameplay
    Gameplay refers to combat, customization, and various areas you can explore within the game. Put it all together and it deserves the highest rating possible!

-Battle System-
    All the battle actions and weapons you use will feel too basic for a standard action game, but it's all for good reason. Simple stabs, slashes, and gunfire can kill a person like it would in real life. Unfortunately, the AI's are too predictable in combat, and health drops are so plenishable to the point where you'll have to raise the difficulty to gain any real challenge, especially if you go around slaughtering everyone.

-Customization-
    In order to build up and customize your character, you'll need to collect an item called Runes, which will be explained more in game. There are also Bone Charms which add a small special ability boost. The difference between Runes and Bone Charms is that Runes are used for casting powers and cannot be undone once applied, and Bone Charms come with a completely random effect per playthrough but you can equip and unequip them any time.

-Exploration-
    This is where the game does it's best. You will spend a lot of time exploring the area and studying the games scenery, and the reason for this is because hidden pathways are everywhere! There are many different routes you can take to reach your objective, and I swear you will have a lot of fun discovering them.

5. Personal Enjoyment
    I went into this game expecting nothing of it at first, and was even so bored with the opening that I actually stopped playing. But then I came back to it a month later and decided to try it again, and was blown away with how the story and areas continued to get better and better. The first playthrough took about 15 hours to do; and that's just with me dying over and over again from gunshots on Very Hard difficulty. Suffice to say, whether it's challenge or simple, it has something for everyone.

6. Overall Verdict
    When you play Dishonored, it doesn't feel like a cash in, it doesn't feel unfinished, it doesn't feel like a car crash or a quick idea to keep up with other rival companies. It feels like a video game, and that's the way it should be. There is no possible way that Dishonored can get any better, and that is why I am issuing my very first 10 out of 10 for a PS3 game! Absolutely flawless! This game is so good that it when not playing, you should place the game and it's box in a glass display case, and hire a bodyguard so that no one takes your valued treasure. Buy this game!
  7. Feb 8, 2015
    Dishonored

Game-play:The game-play is solid and the game give you the ability to play head on attack or stealth or you just can combine this two.Also if you are good you can finish the game without killing nobody not even bosses.You have also something like spells but you are not force to use them of even unlock them. Story:I really like the story of this game and really enjoy it but
    Dishonored

Story:I really like the story of this game and really enjoy it but the problem is that is so short it took me 5 to 6 hours in the hard mode.

Graphics:The graphics did not impress me much.

Notes:The level design in very good except the last level it could hav some improvements.This game is great worth full price.
  8. Jan 3, 2015
    Story:
    Dunwall has a great atmosphere and the world of Dishonored has great potential. It's sad that this game doesn't explain it's background. Moreover, the story is pretty common and Corvo doesn't say a single word, which takes away his sympathy.
    5/10 Gameplay: The gameplay is just great. You have many options, there is a moral system (a pretty easy one, though) and you can unlock
    Story:

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is just great. You have many options, there is a moral system (a pretty easy one, though) and you can unlock super powers to get better in the way you want to play. You have so much freedom in this game!

Technical:
    Dishonored looks dark and dirty which causes a good atmosphere, but the textures, the character's faces etc. are pretty poor designed.
    6,5/10

Overall:
    Dishonored has some problems. however, it is a great experience to play it.
    8,5/10
  9. Dec 16, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game. From the beginning to the end its a awesome experience. I loved the simplistic visual style, intuitive controls and the superb atmosphere. Best game i played in a long time!
  10. Sep 15, 2014
    The best stealth game in years. The setting is dark and matured. The characters are interesting with their own motivations and goals. The story is also dark and based on your approach / decisions it gets even darker /more hopeless later on. If you kill many guards in one level then the next level will be guarded heavier with more guards (There are also other changes which I won't spoil).The best stealth game in years. The setting is dark and matured. The characters are interesting with their own motivations and goals. The story is also dark and based on your approach / decisions it gets even darker /more hopeless later on. If you kill many guards in one level then the next level will be guarded heavier with more guards (There are also other changes which I won't spoil). It is possible to solve the game without killing anyone. The good thing is the variety in the levels. Most times there are multiple ways or approaches for a task. When I replayed a level I often find different routes (A lot easier than my first choices). This gives a good replay value for a second or third play-through. The graphic and sound are really fitting and helped to created a dark / realistic world. This game deserves a lot of praise and I hope there will be a Dishonored 2. Expand
  11. Sep 12, 2014
    Disappointed with this one, I was expecting a GREAT game based on a lot of reviews and videos, I felt like I played a very good game but not that great. It is actually hard for me to explain why, I like the graphics, music, characters, story, gameplay is great. I guess maybe I was not in the mood for a game with a lot of stealth, I don't know...You can play this game with a lot of stealthDisappointed with this one, I was expecting a GREAT game based on a lot of reviews and videos, I felt like I played a very good game but not that great. It is actually hard for me to explain why, I like the graphics, music, characters, story, gameplay is great. I guess maybe I was not in the mood for a game with a lot of stealth, I don't know...You can play this game with a lot of stealth or just run through enemies but in my opinion first option is more interesting. Expand
  12. Sep 7, 2014
    this is the best first person stealth game i have ever played. the power are awesome. you can play the game in whatever way you want. cool story. the graphics are really awesome, what else you want in a game? so i give it a perfect 10.
  13. Jul 28, 2014
    Bethesda has never been one to be known for there excellent sneaking systems and this felt like they were trying to improve on their popular series with increased stealth options and ended up making an entire game to develop it and still failed. The games style/atmosphere tries to stray into steampunk and misses the mark. Music is highly forgettable, colors are washed together, the storyBethesda has never been one to be known for there excellent sneaking systems and this felt like they were trying to improve on their popular series with increased stealth options and ended up making an entire game to develop it and still failed. The games style/atmosphere tries to stray into steampunk and misses the mark. Music is highly forgettable, colors are washed together, the story is shoddy, bad controls, laggy, and none of the characters stand apart since most of the models looked extremely similar. Do not purchase. Expand
  14. Jul 4, 2014
    The most important quality of Dishonored is that it doesn't treat you like a tool. Instead it offers a toolbox of techniques and powers that you can apply as you prefer on each mission. The second most important quality of Dishonored is that it is FUN. It is a game, not an interactive movie or a tech showcase. It is game design refined for the highest possible amount of fun inside theThe most important quality of Dishonored is that it doesn't treat you like a tool. Instead it offers a toolbox of techniques and powers that you can apply as you prefer on each mission. The second most important quality of Dishonored is that it is FUN. It is a game, not an interactive movie or a tech showcase. It is game design refined for the highest possible amount of fun inside the otherwise rather grim game environment.

These qualities combine with an ambitious storyline and an exceptionally well realized game world, and the result is a rare mix of fun and immersion.

The graphics are more cartoony than the title or cover-art, but with PS3s capabilities, the art fits the constrictions and set the bar low enough to stay outside of uncanny valley and out of the ordinary. It is thus one of the best looking games I've played on PS3.

It has no multiplayer, no alternative game modes (unnecessary since it already can be played in many ways), and the ending is abruptly anti-climatic. I was overall satisfied with the story, but it could have built up the gameplay setups more rather than reiterate on the same basic challenges.

I kind of want to give it 7/10, but it's rare that you play a game and have to figure out your own way through each challenge. For that, it deserves recognition.
  15. Jun 30, 2014
    Total gameplay choice. Total.Did I say total?

This feature is often touted in games, but is rarely ever delivered. Dishonoured is one such game that stays true to its word. A twisted revenge narrative, embedded within a rich, fresh steampunk aesthetic provides a strong and rewarding backbone for the game. The sandbox nature of the assassinations combining both stealth melee and
    Total gameplay choice. Total.Did I say total?

The sandbox nature of the assassinations combining both stealth melee and supernatural powers (like teleportation, time distortion) makes the game a winner and sure as hell, intoxicating.

Sure, you can leap into every single bloody confrontation, flash your blade and slit some throats – but you’ve got God Of War for that. What’s the fun?

The only way to enjoy this killhouse is to meld into the shadows, (painstakingly) working your way through the 9 levels (short, I know – but definitely worth replaying). Even killing ONE single person made me feel that I failed my mission. Never has one game made me feel so badass by NOT killing anyone. I felt like a true assassin, silently making my way around the unbelievable gorgeous environment, listening in on peoples conversations and hunting for clues. It’s a thrilling game – rewarding you for doing the things so many other games mindlessly encourage.

So step lightly, stay out of sight and plan ahead – you’ll be rewarded tremendously!
  16. Jun 29, 2014
    A truly phenominal game. I played through a no kills and no detection run and I've got to say this game is amazing. Dishonored is perfectly designed the world is thought out and very details. There has been so much lore built into the game it makes the story incredibly rich. The way that your actions alter the environment and the eventual outcome is really well thought out. It'sA truly phenominal game. I played through a no kills and no detection run and I've got to say this game is amazing. Dishonored is perfectly designed the world is thought out and very details. There has been so much lore built into the game it makes the story incredibly rich. The way that your actions alter the environment and the eventual outcome is really well thought out. It's perfectly paced and the missions are understandable and objectives are easy to follow and the sheer multitude of ways to complete are second only to games like Hitman. I was dubious because of FPS stealth but they pulled it off. Definately going to play through this a couple more times. 9/10 Expand
  17. Jun 12, 2014
    As to near Ahnk Morpork as I've seen in a videogame that isn't a discworld game and that's coming from someone who lives in Gloucester where they filmed one of the Discworld live action series. Dunwall is an amazing place in terms of the way it incorporates elements of steampunk with a victorian feel and setting a pace that wouldn't normally suit a 1st person action game but it justAs to near Ahnk Morpork as I've seen in a videogame that isn't a discworld game and that's coming from someone who lives in Gloucester where they filmed one of the Discworld live action series. Dunwall is an amazing place in terms of the way it incorporates elements of steampunk with a victorian feel and setting a pace that wouldn't normally suit a 1st person action game but it just flows so well and the artwork on the characters is stunning but sadly let down by a bit of collision detection which is hard to ignore, combine all this with a satisfying story you get a really decent game with plenty to get stuck into. Expand
  18. May 22, 2014
    I've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, allI've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, all your actions will have a consequences.
    The main part of the game is dedicated to Corvo. Alas, he is silent, which I don't like. But in the add-ons (The Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches), you're playing as Daud, who is much more talkative. Well, Michael Madsen, as Daud, is fun.
    For those who love stealth games, especially Thief 1&2&3: IMHO, this game is even more Thief-esque than the last Thief (2014). It has a good story, a nice NPCs and their dialogues, a lot of perfectly hidden stashes with loot, and you're free to hide from your foes and neutralize them in old Thief style - by sneaking from behind. Also, the game has a lot of tributes to the Thief series, so you'll definitely smile every time you see them.
    Bottom line: it's a must-have.
  19. Apr 17, 2014
    Pros
    +Great artistic graphics
    +Fun to use powers
    +Strong stealth/combat/strategy gameplay.
    + Decent story, many possible endings
    Cons
    - Slightly weak swordfighting
    - Could be a little longer
  20. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is one of the best stealth/action games i have ever played, the graphics are artistically well done, the controls are smooth and efficient. The options of doing a high/low chaos playthrough are utterly well done and thought out. the level design is extremely well thought out and offer a myriad of ways to go about your mission. The storyline is thought provoking and quite layered.This game is one of the best stealth/action games i have ever played, the graphics are artistically well done, the controls are smooth and efficient. The options of doing a high/low chaos playthrough are utterly well done and thought out. the level design is extremely well thought out and offer a myriad of ways to go about your mission. The storyline is thought provoking and quite layered. You also acquire certain tools/weapons and special magical abilities to aid you in your mission ahead. On my first playthrough with me being in all modesty a true gamer took me about 15 hours to complete. arkane have outdone themselves and with that i will be buying future titles by them. Expand
  21. Feb 9, 2014
    Great game! FPS with freedom of approach. Got some Half Life 2 vibes when playing this and it´s a good thing. Voice acting and art design are top-notch.
  22. Jan 22, 2014
    Dishonored is so close to becoming a memorable game. Instead, only months after playing, it starts to fade into the other games. But this game is not bad by any means. Dishonored is fearless, it has a great story and a great stealth engine which is surprisingly hard to come by these days. Dishonored feels and plays a lot like Bioshock Infinite, which I believe is the game of the year, butDishonored is so close to becoming a memorable game. Instead, only months after playing, it starts to fade into the other games. But this game is not bad by any means. Dishonored is fearless, it has a great story and a great stealth engine which is surprisingly hard to come by these days. Dishonored feels and plays a lot like Bioshock Infinite, which I believe is the game of the year, but the difference between the two is simple; while Dishonored starts beautifully and has a great core, the ending is short and not that interesting. The game seems to drop off out of nowhere. The story itself, besides the ending, is solid. It's a bit slow until you make it to the big twist, and then it gets fun. The game pulls you in and give you loads of options and ways to complete the level. Bioshock Infinite, even if it did seem a bit dull through the middle portion, was awe-inspiring and beautiful, the engine was near flawless and the twists were mind-blowing. In the end, I wish Dishonored was a bit more like Bioshock in the sense that it spent more time developing its ending and story. Expand
  23. Dec 29, 2013
    I really loved this game and it ate up a lot of my time. The story is amazing and can definitely be played through multiple times. Although it may be a bit overly gory, the way your actions shape the outcome of the game is brilliant. The game can really be unpredictable with lots of excitement at each turn. You can take the road of stealth and try to sneak past guards or you can fightI really loved this game and it ate up a lot of my time. The story is amazing and can definitely be played through multiple times. Although it may be a bit overly gory, the way your actions shape the outcome of the game is brilliant. The game can really be unpredictable with lots of excitement at each turn. You can take the road of stealth and try to sneak past guards or you can fight through them, either being lots of fun. The game is overall an amazing game and definitely a buy for gamers alike. Expand
  24. Dec 26, 2013
    Very good.

Excellent setting and story (particularly if you play the 'knife' and 'witches' DLC). Good overall gameplay. Interesting, long and varied missions. Enemy AI is a bit dull stay hidden long enough and surviving enemy return to their routine, rather than hunt you down but no more so than most other stealth games. Combat is quite deadly for you, so sneaking is really
    Very good.

Combat is quite deadly for you, so sneaking is really worthwhile most 'bosses' are significant threats in face to face combat, but far easier to overcome with some serious stealth.

The graphics are a bit cartoony (like borderlands or amalur), but thats easy to get used to. Sound/voice is excellent.
  25. Nov 21, 2013
    Really unique and fun experience with this game. Graphics are dated and cartoonish, but this is offset by the amazing gameplay and decent revenge/redemption story.
  26. Nov 12, 2013
    Wonderful! I had so much fun playing this game I was a little disappointed by how short it was even when i did the side quests, all and all its still a wonderful game.
  27. Nov 9, 2013
    On my top five of games!
    If you want a rewarding and fun, first person, action adventure, stealth game then Dishonored is a game for you!
    On my top five of games!
    You are the royal protector of the Empress, when she is killed and her daughter Emily is kidnapped, you get accused of the murder and kidnapping. After 6 moths in prison you break free and seek revenge upon those who have dishonored you. You'll get cool gadgets and pretty awesome powers to destroy or not even touch your enemies, you choose whether or not you want to kill everybody or nobody! It's a great game!
  28. Oct 30, 2013
    This game does not live up to its potential at all. The idea of a psychic assassin taking down a group of tyrannical usurpers in a semi-steampunk setting should be enough to fire the imagination of a good group of game programmers. This game, however, misses the boat on every level. The story is pat, the missions are way too linear, the controls are flabby, and the visuals are far tooThis game does not live up to its potential at all. The idea of a psychic assassin taking down a group of tyrannical usurpers in a semi-steampunk setting should be enough to fire the imagination of a good group of game programmers. This game, however, misses the boat on every level. The story is pat, the missions are way too linear, the controls are flabby, and the visuals are far too cartoonish to take the setting and story seriously. The balance is off too. If you decide to fight your way through the game, you will get through it in a few hours. Go for stealth, and you will die a thousand times.

Imagine what this game could have been if they had taken a little more time with it. Imagine this concept with a grittier atmosphere in a truly open-world setting. Instead, we get what should have been a ground-breaking experience ending up being just kind of... Meh...
  29. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. dishonored is a stealth-action game based around stabbing folks in the eyeballs, choking them out or using your super magical powers of death to explode them. the story in dishonored is generic but interesting and the two endings are also good, after one playthrough you will more than likely want to play through it again to get the other ending, the game follows corvo attano the former body-guard of dunwall's empress. The empress gets assassinated and her daughter kidnapped and you are blamed,
    you escape from prison with help from a small group who help you track down and kill those who are to blame for the assassination of the empress and her daughters kidnapping (eventually you find her daughter). the gameplay in dishonored is fantastic, some of the best I have ever seen, in your right hand you have a short sword/dagger and in your left you have a gun, crossbow or magical powers and they all work perfectly in combat and/or stealth situations.
    Final verdict:
    Great gameplay, interesting story, interesting powers and interesting locations 9/10
  30. Sep 23, 2013
    Made my mind to buy this for the PS3. Thank goodness i wasted my money for good. This game sets up a new level of graphics, action, in game mechanics and etc. The storyline's epic. I love the surrounding scenery. I love to make use of those super powers u get.
  31. Jan 6, 2013
    Very fun game, but the replay value is nonexistent and it is very shory. The overall game was a blast, you could unlock special powers like summoning mice to eat your foes, or you could just go around killing people with a crossbow and sword. You could play anyway you want. You can be stealthy or you can just go and kill enemies with guns blazing. But beware, the more people you kill, theVery fun game, but the replay value is nonexistent and it is very shory. The overall game was a blast, you could unlock special powers like summoning mice to eat your foes, or you could just go around killing people with a crossbow and sword. You could play anyway you want. You can be stealthy or you can just go and kill enemies with guns blazing. But beware, the more people you kill, the darker your ending will be. I found the story to be very very intriguing and I thought the graphics were great in their own way. But the story is really short. I finished the story in about 6 hours and I was mostly taking a stealthy approach the whole time. Since there are multiple endings, you'd think the replay value would be high. Well it isn't after beating the game I had to desire to go back and collect runes and I had no desire to get to the alternate ending. After beating the game once, I was done. When the price drops down to 20 dollars, I think you should buy it, but for now, paying the full $60 would be a waste of money. Collapse

1. Nov 27, 2012
    Well, Arkane, you did what so few games have done this generation: you got me to want to come back to play Dishonored annually. Very, very few games have that honor, but I just can't imagine ever getting tried of Dunwall. What a wonderful game.
  2. You can combine Corvos weapons and superpowers in an almost infinite of ways, which can result in some pretty satisfying outcomes. Throw a proximity mine, called a spring razor, on a rat. Then take possession of the rat and walk up to the nearest guard. Then watch the limbs fly. [November 2012, p.66]
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    It is a major accomplishment and for all its ambition it succeeds where it counts, by transporting you to a world and empowering you to do with it you wish, creating unscripted and unexpected moments that feel unique to you. It is at these times that it becomes more than just an enjoyable stealth action game, but something truly special.