5.6

1. Aug 22, 2013
    Infinity is, at best, a mediocre game. I have three girls ages 9, 7, and 5. We are all skylanders fans and have been looking forward to this game for at least a month now. It can be best summed up as an attempt as a mix between Little Big Planet and Skylanders but it falls short when compared to either.

The game is broken up into "playsets" and "toy box" mode. The playsets are

The game is broken up into "playsets" and "toy box" mode.

The playsets are sub-par video game experiences. My 2 younger daughters don't understand the concept of "find the guy with a icon above his head and do what he says". Levels are very open and becomes easy for them to get lost. My oldest daughter becomes quickly bored. The quests are tedious and dull. "go to X and do Y to Z" or "collect X number of Y tokens" make up the bulk of the quests. I frequently have to take over for them to help them progress through the playset. The much prefer to just randomly roam around the map. So far we have played the 3 playsets that have come with the game and they all get dull quickly. I've purchased the Cars and Lone Ranger sets but will likely save those for birthdays or other special events as a reward.

The Toy Box mode is where they apparently put their focus but collecting the required pieces to build a level requires a random spin. Collecting more spins requires you to play through the playset content or grind through the maps searching for free spins. It will take a serious investment of time before we will have all the pieces needed to build a decent level.

Menus are difficult to navigate for my 5 and 7 year old. Most choices also require a yes/no confirmation. That can be frustrating when kids are still learning to read. Simply loading a game in progress requires help from daddy. My 9 year old just wants to build levels and have random fun in the toy box mode but is limited by the controls (how do i choose the magic want again?) and the limited availability of pieces.

There is no easy jumping in and out of online multi-player like in Little Big Planet. Online play requires an official invite from someone, normally from a pre-existing friends list. A big attraction of LBP online play was bumping into another random kid when choosing a random level.

The only comparison I can make with Skylanders is that they both require a physical toy. Skylanders is much more of a fun action-oriented game and requires little understanding going in. Infinity requires you to pay attention to a text dialog box or push the correct button for the compass to guide you to the correct place. Skylanders is much more intuitive and has an easier learning curve when playing single or multi-player levels.

I regret spending as much as I did but I am hopeful that over time as more players create and distribute toybox maps it will be a better experience.
  2. Oct 12, 2013
    Although my kids and kid relatives loved Skylanders, Disney Infinity got the opposite reaction and even little kids could see it for the BLATANT CASH GRAB that it is. The game itself is pretty boring, but there are constant barriers and nags that tell you to "buy additional characters" seemingly at every turn. We all know Disney loves their money, but this is way over the line and insteadAlthough my kids and kid relatives loved Skylanders, Disney Infinity got the opposite reaction and even little kids could see it for the BLATANT CASH GRAB that it is. The game itself is pretty boring, but there are constant barriers and nags that tell you to "buy additional characters" seemingly at every turn. We all know Disney loves their money, but this is way over the line and instead of buying the game, you might just want to mail Disney your wallet and paychecks to save time.

With Skylanders, in order to play the entire game, you might be in for maybe $80-$90 for the game/starting figures and the extra elemental characters you are missing, but if you want actually play Disney Infinity, we're talking maybe $300 to start, and then more for discs, add-ons, storage compartment, etc. It's as a bad a cash grab as I've ever seen in my life and I wonder if a "point of sale Credit/Debit Card Machine" was intended to be part of the game bundle. Or maybe it will be available as an add-on pack?
  3. Sep 15, 2013
    I have a 4 year old and she LOVES the game. Toybox? She loves running around and exploring and just hanging out in the game with her cousin or myself. Play sets? Sure she doesn't get the whole quest thing, but she sure as heck still loves to play it, just to hang out in the settings. In Lone Ranger she even found a little ranch and brings all the horses there and just rides them. So ratherI have a 4 year old and she LOVES the game. Toybox? She loves running around and exploring and just hanging out in the game with her cousin or myself. Play sets? Sure she doesn't get the whole quest thing, but she sure as heck still loves to play it, just to hang out in the settings. In Lone Ranger she even found a little ranch and brings all the horses there and just rides them. So rather than rate the game down and complain that she doesn't get the game, I'll rate it up for keeping her interested and having fun despite not getting the quests.
    My 8 year old niece gets the quests a bit more. She loves playing as the different characters and battling the enemies in both the Toy Box and Play Sets. She understands how to build her own toy box sets, and loves just wandering around finding cool places in the toy box and just killing the randomly spawning bad guys. Both girls love naming off all the characters from the movies as they see them.
    I love the game too. As an avid gamer, I have fun on mostly anything I can climb. I'm building a huge Toy Box climbing and spelunking area to explore with the kids. I also built my daughter a hidden castle that she LOVES. Not having all the pieces to start with limits my creativity a bit, but it also lets me get more familiar with what I do have. Having all the pieces would be a bit overwhelming to start with. This way I build the basics I want and as I unlock more, the whole thing gets more diverse instead of me just using my favorite pieces. It works out well when you get into it. There are also lots of memorable sights, like the matterhorn, the cave of wonder, the sword in the stone and Scrooge's Money Bank.
    The play sets are great too. I've played the Incredibles playset, which has lots of buildings to climb and all that. The quests are a bit bland here, but there's lots of fighting and lots of buildings to climb. There are also cars and lots of challenges to go around here. The area is initially small, but quickly gets bigger as you get into it. The Lone Ranger set is more about adventure and exploring. Slightly less enemies here, but there are cliffs to climb, there's a train and the area gets bigger as you progress. Plus there are horses to ride around on. The other set I've played is the Cars play set. Also, excellent. Obviously lots of places to race around, do jumps and all that. I haven't gotten much into the quests here yet, and there haven't been any creeps to smash.
    We have all the toy pieces to go with the game, but they're largely optional. With just the starter box, you get 3 characters, each with a play set. I would recommend at least the villain or sidekick pack (another $25) just to be able to play two players. The power discs (both shapes) are totally optional. The Circle Discs provide bonuses such as damage up and XP up. The hex discs are for Toy Box only and usually provide cosmetic things, but can also give new items (Mickey's Car, Cinderella's Carriage). The Lone Ranger play set is FAR exceeding my expectations and I have to recommend it because of that. The downside to the Lone Ranger set is there are only 2 characters for it. Other sets have 3-5 for them.
  4. Aug 25, 2013
    It's probably the best video game ever made for kids. I am not a kid, but I have a brother who is a kid and he likes it very much. Especially, he likes Tonto and Jack Sparrow. As I do too!! But I do not play with them. I only like them!!!
  5. Aug 31, 2013
    Disney Infinity can be an addicting game that you or your kids (If you have them) will enjoy playing. Each playset is different but each come with their own annoyances. Frustration and enjoyment balance on a very thin line here. But all-in-all, it's a great game worth playing so long as you have somebody to play with.
  6. Dec 20, 2013
    Well, the game is fun. Especially with kids. I'll give it that. However, it fails on several key fronts:

First, there is no reason that this game should have been tied to a toy franchise. The toys merely unlock characters in the game. No significant data is stored on them, and leveling them up does nothing for the characters themselves other than incrementing a numeric value. From a collector's perspective or a child's perspective, it might be nice to have figurines to show off or play with, but from a gamer's perspective, this is an entirely egregious use of resources and a rip-off to boot. They could have made the same game without the portal of power knock-off and the toys that go along with it, charged less, and focused more resources on improving on the game itself, which is lacking, in the end. The Toy Story 3 game, which this one was clearly based on, was great, affordable, and provided fantastic game-play, both linear and open ended. Disney infinity is a stumble in the a half-right, half-wrong direction.

Second off, the creative toy box mode is extremely limited and totally buggy. You cannot fill your toy box with much before it maxes out and forces you to delete things if you want to add more. You cannot make any of it interactive beyond the built-in interactivity of the objects you place in it you can't create missions, or dialog, or set up any sort of logic-triggered events. Also, it often breaks. I often will place an object and want to move it around, but half the time the object becomes permanently fixed is space with no way to select it. This is one of several unacceptable glitches in this mode that make it frustrating more than fun, more stifling than freeing.

Finally, co-op presents many missed opportunities. I love couch co-op, I love playing video games with my kid. This one is pretty fun for a little while. Still, forcing you to buy more toys to unlock specific characters in order to even play co-op after you're already spent 70$ on the game is an insult. See, you can't bring characters from different movies into each others worlds. This right here is a huge missed opportunity for fun. What's more, there is no co-op specific content. There are no vehicles that can carry two people. There are no missions requiring two players, co-operation, or that particularly benefit from being carried out by two people other than you might finish them faster which means you likely have to split up anyways.

Again, it can be fun for kids. Disney Infinity is more creative than its obvious counterpart, Skylanders, provides more interest methods of travel throughout its worlds, and is a fine way to distract or spend an evening with your kid. But it doesn't really live up to its promises, and takes on the excessively wasteful and expensive baggage of real world toys without any clear reason or obvious benefit other than to make more money.
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    Its a great, inventive game, Takes a while to unlock things u want. And the prices are silly. I shouldn't need to spend $1,000 for my son to enjoy a game. I probably will though because I love him, NOT because the game deserves it!
  8. Sep 25, 2013
    This game gets an average score from me. Its not amazing, not great, not and doesn't suck. Its average in between both bad and good. The good aspects of this game is its fun and has a nice storyline. The bad aspects are the graphics are quite sluggish, the gameplay should be improved and also you can just be alive at the place whenever u die at the same point. The game's also quite notThis game gets an average score from me. Its not amazing, not great, not and doesn't suck. Its average in between both bad and good. The good aspects of this game is its fun and has a nice storyline. The bad aspects are the graphics are quite sluggish, the gameplay should be improved and also you can just be alive at the place whenever u die at the same point. The game's also quite not realistic. Expand
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    Just another Disney failure. The lack of good gameplay, graphics, I could go on forever, is really sad. This game had so much potential, but lost it..
  10. Apr 3, 2014
    Infinity is one of those games that could unleash an amazingly fun franchise, it’s one of the few games that I can enjoy alongside with my 7 and 3 yr old. The play sets aren’t nearly as entertaining for me as they are for the 7 yr old, but the ability to create an endless array of maps/ worlds that we can enjoy together is utterly fantastic.

However my biggest complaint about Infinity

However my biggest complaint about Infinity doesn’t have anything to do with the game in it’s current form, it’s how I believe they’ll continue to roll out. In my opinion the best possible solution for growing Infinity isn’t by releasing a new disc every year, the disc is merely the key to access all of the content, it isn’t like Skylanders where the disc is the story based game… With Infinity the disc is the access key to unlocking the content (playset games, add on content, etc…) that could/ should made available as DLC and then accessed by purchasing the appropriate playset piece’s. Currently we do not own all of the characters or even the playsets, even though we’d love to have our own light sabers in game… to purchase it all would be an expense that we have to space out piece by piece. However if we weren’t forced to make the initial $60 investment, we would most certainly own all of the pieces by now.

Focusing on releasing the DLC content and maintaining wave based releases (of the toybox characters (which could be later expanded to playset), playset pieces/ characters, and the power discs) could make for a far more profitable endeavor for Disney and a more enjoyable experience for players of all ages.
  11. Nov 3, 2014
    Disney Infinity offers long but dragged out playsets with little innovation with more than five hours of missions and side missions, the toy box mode is innovative and fun and the characters are fun to play as. The roster however is laughable along with the prices of the figures and starter packs. Support the PC version and look for character codes online for a cheap price on Ebay.Disney Infinity offers long but dragged out playsets with little innovation with more than five hours of missions and side missions, the toy box mode is innovative and fun and the characters are fun to play as. The roster however is laughable along with the prices of the figures and starter packs. Support the PC version and look for character codes online for a cheap price on Ebay. Nothing more to say. It is slightly above average with the toy box mode as its number one selling point and the playsets, that put other fans....to sleep. RIP OFF OF SKYLANDERS, MINECRAFT AND LEGO! Wow. Just wow. However, Minecraft should take notes on Disney Infinitys fun and interactive TOY BOX mode. Expand

1. Oct 3, 2013
    There's something in Infinity for everyone (although there's slightly more for your kids.) [Nov 2013, p.74]
  2. Oct 2, 2013
    Disney is a powerhouse when it comes to licensing their products but even these prices seem a little overboard. If it weren't for the fact the campaigns are fun and suitable for the pre-teen crowd and the Toy Box modes offers a lot options, I'd probably be steering parents away.
  3. Infinity's Toy Box mode can hardly be called a kids game, which is strange since the Play Sets that come with the game are an absolute walk in park. There is no challenge whatsoever. Missions are limited to fetch quests or small brawls. But there is still some fun to be had, especially for younger players. [September p.64]