5.4

1. Jan 16, 2013
    I still cant understand the rebooot. Little innovation with the combat, controls, or enemy AI. The game boxes you in with combat by making you use certain weapons to defeat certain enemies. If enemy is red, then devil weapon. huh? The color palette is not as colorful and contrasting as previous game. See DMC 4. Lastly, the bosses are not memorable. Ign who game the game a review of 9 onlyI still cant understand the rebooot. Little innovation with the combat, controls, or enemy AI. The game boxes you in with combat by making you use certain weapons to defeat certain enemies. If enemy is red, then devil weapon. huh? The color palette is not as colorful and contrasting as previous game. See DMC 4. Lastly, the bosses are not memorable. Ign who game the game a review of 9 only cited 1 memorable boss out of their top 10 DMC bosses. DMC 4 sold 2.73 million copies and Capcom is only expecting 2 million in sales. Another bad decision by Capcom Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2013
    I'll try keeping this short. No, the hate this game is getting is not about the character or the hair color or any of that nonsense, believe me if that were the only problems I'd have already preordered it. The problem comes from the fact that in every factor, form the story, to the soundtrack, to the technical specs, and most importantly, the gameplay itself, is a let down from previousI'll try keeping this short. No, the hate this game is getting is not about the character or the hair color or any of that nonsense, believe me if that were the only problems I'd have already preordered it. The problem comes from the fact that in every factor, form the story, to the soundtrack, to the technical specs, and most importantly, the gameplay itself, is a let down from previous entries in the series. Add in the fact that Tameem has publicly insulted old fans of the series along with taking a dump over the franchise and you can hopefully understand why I'm a little upset. I'm not going to tell you not to enjoy this game, heck I hope you sincerely get your money's worth, but know that I hope, with all my heart, that this game fails. Hard. Not out of hatred for you guys, but in the hope that it'll make Capcom release Tameem is a hack and the chance for a proper DMC5 rises from the ashes. Yeah, not likely, but if nothing else you can consider this my little **** you" to Tameem. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    -Frame rate (30 fps) with bugs, in ps3.
    -Vergil using a rifle. ¬¬
    -When you gonna dodge a boss atack that is in front ou you, turn around and role. You don't have how to counter a attack like you done with royal guard or the devil bring in some attacks. -Dante is a teenager. -The limbo city looks like a corridor. -Ebony and Ivory are useless. -No lock target system, makes you
    -Frame rate (30 fps) with bugs, in ps3.
    -Vergil using a rifle. ¬¬
    -The limbo city looks like a corridor. -Ebony and Ivory are useless.
    -No lock target system, makes you look a retard playing.
    -Vergil voice lokes like some disney character, not that awsone badass voice of DMC3.
    -No table hooper.
    -Mundus don't scare anyone.
    -You don't have taunts. DMC 4 taunts are outstanding. Why not put in this one?
    -Combos are extremely easy, you don't motivates yourself to "learn" combos like in the orders DMC.
    -Weapons change in the middle os combat is mandatory.
    -Devil Trigger is horrible, you don't transform yourself into a badass demon from hell, with dark energy and incredible speed. You a slow time. ¬¬
    -You got a hell whip to push enemies and a angel whip to pull yourself. WTF!

If you think that I hating the game with no criterion, simple enter on you tube and search for: DMC 4 nero dango truestyle tournament
    DMC 4 nero blaze truestyle tournament

Then, you gonna now how a rellay badass game with a badass player looks like.

If this think not use Devil May Cry name, my score will be 6 or 7. But when you makes a game much worst that the 2 previous one, you have my total disregard. (sorry if I makes some writing mistakes, I still learning english)
  4. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is best described as a mediocre to poor beat em up, Hack and Slash game.
    This is game is fun for a couple hours and then its gets down right boring. it is a good rental to pass time or perfect for guilty pleasure and I strongly recommend to avoid buying this game above $20. It is a game designed for those who are not aware of this genre. But even then it holds your hands and the difficulties make you question the mindset of the developer.

The game pales in comparison to its predecessors. DMC3/4 has been known to be the most intricate and in-depth juggernaut of the hack and slash genre, and now DmC has turned into a regular beat em up game that has the quality of a PSN game. The graphics may initially look pretty, but its gets painful at the eyesoring colors and brightness. The frames really drop to 20s, which may be a PS3 thing and ruins the game. The boss battles are the worst offenders in the list, which is filled with countless cutscenes to break game flow and lack of inspiration or innovation.

The platforming is the only things that I enjoyed due to it pulling me out of the dull, one-dimensional combat. Other than a couple of tracks, the entire soundtrack is forgettable. The story is very pretentious, and melodramatic, filled with unexplained plot points. at least DMC knew it was cheesy but DmC was just hollow. reminded me of Twilight in some occasions.

It is sad that DMC1 inspired god of war and DmC is now trying to be like god of war, which it fails even at that. considering the fact that the cutscenes clock around 3hrs, with most of them unskippable, the gameplay is only 2-3hrs. So the game can be done in one sitting for a person with any skill level. The replay value is pointless since they tacked on difficulties that barely test you and the combat is VERY repetitive, to the point of being just rinse and repeat. There is no room for experimentation or finding new ways to play the game.
    To put this in perspective, DMC4 which came out in 2008 has better frames, crispier graphics and a combat engine that is still unrivaled to this date and after 6yrs we are left with DmC. Such a shame.
  5. Mar 15, 2015
    This is not a Devil May Cry. NT totally ruined title with this reboot. This game looks like bad parody of original games with poor combat system, bad protagonist etc. I want to forget this shame and I hope we'll never see a sequel/prequel/whatever of this crap.
  6. Jan 16, 2013
    a complete mess of a DMC game.. not even a decent action game for that matter.. looking at it as its own, game lacks many functions to be considered enjoyable.. i mean its a bit jaggy on the ps3, super easy with auto-win button, infinite air grab, and redundant weapons like the guns and angel weapons.. comparing it to DMC is another thing; platforming is outta nowhere, removal of styles,a complete mess of a DMC game.. not even a decent action game for that matter.. looking at it as its own, game lacks many functions to be considered enjoyable.. i mean its a bit jaggy on the ps3, super easy with auto-win button, infinite air grab, and redundant weapons like the guns and angel weapons.. comparing it to DMC is another thing; platforming is outta nowhere, removal of styles, easy SSS, removal of lock-on.. granted the only saving grace is the level design which looks cool honestly.. story of a horrible rehash of the original, only more in-depth and in result more corny.. DMC series was built upon parodies when it comes to stories, so taking a game like this seriously is the recipe of disaster. doesn't help that Dante and Kat are unlikable, so is Vergil and Mundus for that matter.. the Dialogue is the baddest thing about this game, childish profanity and corny lines just makes you cringe at every moment where there's a cut-scene.. speaking of which cut-scenes are unskippable here, and some happen mid boss-battle.. so in conclusion save your dollars for something better coming out this year(like Metal Gear Rising, GOW: Ascension, and Lords of Shadow 2); there are many action games worth the purchase.. and if you are really into DMC, i'd suggest the HD collection of DMC4 again..

+good level design

-corny and cheesy storyline
    -removal of lock on and styles
    -enemies barely attack you
    -broken devil weapons and infinite air grabs
    -SSS achieved easily
    -ebony and ivory plus the angel weapons are very weak
    -no reason for platforming
    -childish and corny dialogue
    -unlikable protagonist
    -unskippable cutscenes
    -cutscenes during boss battles
  7. Jan 16, 2013
    Now this is whay I call a 'hyped-as-hell game that disappoint you in the end when you make the mistake of give it a try'... -Slow and laggy gameplay, compared to DMC4 and even DMC3...
    -No Lock-on, no taunts
    -No Styles -Bad storytelling, bad dialogues. -Bad choice in music -Lame ending -DLC... The only good thing are the graphics, but shiny visuals are not enough if the game is bad
    -No Lock-on, no taunts
    -No Styles
    -Bad storytelling, bad dialogues.
    -Bad choice in music
    -Lame ending
    -DLC... The only good thing are the graphics, but shiny visuals are not enough if the game is bad and mediocre. After one playthrough, you lose the will to replay it... Not worth buying.
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Before starting, I would like to make it clear that my negative view is based on how the game stands on it's own. I am not comparing it to the other entries in the series, as it is a reboot. The most important element of any game is how it plays, the mechanics. In this regard DmC not only fails to innovate in it's genre, but does so with a shining display of mediocrity. Even God of War'sBefore starting, I would like to make it clear that my negative view is based on how the game stands on it's own. I am not comparing it to the other entries in the series, as it is a reboot. The most important element of any game is how it plays, the mechanics. In this regard DmC not only fails to innovate in it's genre, but does so with a shining display of mediocrity. Even God of War's simplistic square and triangle mashing combat gives more to appreciate with it's quality of production. The combo system in DmC gives the player little room to improve throughout the game, and is easily exploited by the player to effortlessly dispatch opponents making for a rather dull experience. New weapons found throughout the game provide little to the experience, and absolutely nothing that we've not seen (and grown tired of) in the genre. Input of moves feels clunky, and this is made even worse by the unacceptable frame rate. Supporting it's sluggish, thoughtless mechanics is a narrative so laughably dreadful I cannot comprehend how it made it into the final product. I would expect such pretentious drivel from the scrawling of an angst-ridden teenage girl, but not from a project with multi-million dollar backing. It's 'They Live' with demon's in place of aliens. The characters have very little depth of personality and barely qualify as anything more than cliché and plot device. Not to mention the moronic, testosterone fueled dialogue meant to entrance the player with some sort of immature power fantasy.

Everything else about the game is acceptable, but nothing special. You won't be moved by the visuals or the music, but you won't be offended either. In two words, the game is pretentious and mediocre. I find that the best thing this game does is to highlight just how low the standards of video game 'journalism' have fallen.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, let's get something straight. I was completely fine with the redesign of Dante, I even welcomed it. I thought that the look of the characters wouldn't matter and that the gameplay is what really matters. Then the demo came out, and I immediately started to dislike Dante. There is not one likable thing about him. But the characters don't matter, as long is the gameplay is good. However, the gameplay is just as unlikable as the character. The controls are awkward, and combat is designed to cater to the type of players that don't want to actually play a game but rather just look cool while button mashing, guns are useless, and the moveset is extremely limited. The gameplay feels like it was tacked on as an afterthought. The platforming is uninspired and gets boring really quickly. The environments are really good at first, but get really dull only a couple of missions in the game. But that's not even the worst thing about this game. The story, which is claimed to be 'Shakespearean' and could 'rival the best that film has to offer' is nothing more than bad fanfiction written by the quiet edgy kid that you knew in high school. A generic 'Government is evil, fight the man!' plot with obvious plays on Anonymous and Fox news that also has magical spray cans filled with squirrel semen, **** YOU' battles with a giant worm-like succubus, and sniper rifle abortions. Yes, that's right, sniper rifle abortions. There's a scene in which one of the protagonists, Vergil, shoots a pregnant Lilith in her womb, lets her realize what he's done, and then kills her, while holding a smile the whole time. As if this wasn't bad enough, Dante even tells Mundus, the childs father, that he enjoyed watching the wet chunks fall. This isn't badass, it's incredibly disturbing and makes me seriously wonder what the **** is going on in the writers head. The voice acting in this game is mediocre at best. I never felt any kind of emotion come from the characters. They always seemed uninspired and just plain bored. Also, the music choice was not the best. I don't know whose idea it was to put dubstep in this game, but it was a terrible idea. Dubstep does not fit in any video games besides Beat Hazard or something like it. TLDR: The characters are bad, the story is bad, gameplay is bad, and the music is bad. I feel really generous giving this game a 3/10. I would not recommend this to anybody that enjoys having fun. Unless you're a die-hard DMC fan and just NEED to own every game in the series, then stay away from this. Expand
  10. Jan 16, 2013
    Gameplay is simpler.
    Gameplay is easier.
    The Story has shameful characters.
    The Graphics are ok, as the music style. But these 2 elements just can't save the game.
  11. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a bad game. When I first started it up the intro had me expecting a great experience. The games darker and stylish edge looked intriguing, and I was ready for the game to suck me in. But the moment I assumed control of Dante and battled my first enemy all optimism was sucked out of me. The combat just feels so lifeless and hollow, which is sad because it had the potential to be aThis is a bad game. When I first started it up the intro had me expecting a great experience. The games darker and stylish edge looked intriguing, and I was ready for the game to suck me in. But the moment I assumed control of Dante and battled my first enemy all optimism was sucked out of me. The combat just feels so lifeless and hollow, which is sad because it had the potential to be a thrilling experience because you have access to all your weapons at once and can switch between them at any time during combat which can lead to some pretty insane combos. But the combat just isn't fun and ruined the entire experience for me. On the plus side the game looks and sounds great, and the story is backed by fantastic voice acting. The story is interesting but ends on a dull note, and as for the new interpretation of Dante (oh, in case you didn't know, this is a reboot) I personally enjoyed his new style and personality. I really wanted to like this game, and honestly I was expecting to, but the boring combat brings down the whole experience. I liked the story, style, and the new Dante, they all just deserve a better game. Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2013
    I wish this game played as nice as it looks...early on. This game has a visual flare to it that I like, but it lacks gameplay mechanics and has intrusive, uninformative, and just embarrassing cutscenes littered throughout that would put an MGS title to shame. It feels rushed in every way. It's hard to say the story lacks, rather than it's on a smoke break throughout the runtime and allI wish this game played as nice as it looks...early on. This game has a visual flare to it that I like, but it lacks gameplay mechanics and has intrusive, uninformative, and just embarrassing cutscenes littered throughout that would put an MGS title to shame. It feels rushed in every way. It's hard to say the story lacks, rather than it's on a smoke break throughout the runtime and all the characters are really forcing a lot of trite commentary. DMC isn't really known for it's story, so you will slog along, waiting for the game to open up a lot of gameplay mechanics to you, and interesting situations to test your skills in different areas. This never happens. I just don't understand. It lacks mechanics, it lacks a story (though the mess that IS will be shoved down your throat at every opportunity). It's odd acceptance from publications has me really turned off and confused as well. I think the average user score is spot on, even if you consider it separate from previous DMC outings. As a DMC title, I would rank it much lower, but it does have some considerable production and visual elements to it that lift it from a 2. I just don't get the pitch: "We are going to reboot a hardcore franchise. We have no story. We have no interesting mechanics or innovations. Infact, we are stripping those elements way back. We DO have an interesting reinterpretation of the protagonist so as to polarize the community and generate hype. Our April 1st demographic lookup revealed that people wanted more platforming in DMC titles, so we are currently full-throttle on that." Expand
  13. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is just... so... BORING. The game just feels flat. The environments are stylized and interesting but everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Not only are there large sections of platforming - which seemed to be more well-developed than the combat - but the controls aren't as fluid and satisfying as the previous games, even the first. The camera in the platforming sections performs well but in combat it really sucks. Often times I'll be trying to attack an enemy behind me and I'll have no idea where they are, I'm just shooting hoping in vain that Dante will direct me towards where they're at. On top of that, they made the grab gimmick from Nero even more central to the game, which I hated there. This game should have been marketed as a platformer because that's probably the best part about it. As an action game, especially with the DMC name (the one that set the standard to how action hack and slash are made today) it can't even compare to God of War, let alone the other Devil May Cry titles.

The story: Well, it has one which is more than what can be said about the other games. However, the characters in this game are so unlikable, so bland, that it's hard to be invested. The characters' motivation turns out to be really just simple revenge as the demons haven't proven to be a threat to mankind, they're just hiding among them. The shoehorned love interest when they tried so hard to establish that Dante is a player who can have wild threesomes with whatever girls he pleases, it makes no sense why he'd have any attachment to a girl who has no personality aside from being damaged goods.

Also, Dante's sudden 'nobility' to the cause is completely unbelievable as his attitude never changes - Dante gets powers but has no character arc, he just learns about his past. I say 'nobility' because he barely bats an eyelash as his brother blows the womb of woman, pauses to relish the moment, and then shoots her in the head.

For some final points: I don't think character design needs to be brought up, it's what everyone has said a hundred times: it's bad. Though the motion capturing was really well done. I can't help but cringe everytime I look at the main menu/every single mission screen with Dante pointing at his dick... nice Ninja. Oh, and thanks for that slap in the face with the white wig. Oh let me bring up how enemies work. You have to hit the red guys with the red weapons and the blue guys with the blue weapons! Really breaking the meta with this game, let me tell you. Overall, this game is a huge disappointment. The combat, style meter, weapons, heroes, engaging characters, interesting enemies (aside from the news caster), bosses, controls, camera, difficulty, atmosphere, are ll sub-par. The only thing this game excels at are level design, motion capturing, and platforming.
  14. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is extremely mediocre. Combat consists of mashing two buttons to flail randomly in the air. Enemies rarely move or attack, and even more so for the bosses who are all very easy even on the hardest difficulty. Also the controls are not very good or precise.
    There are tons of boring platforming segments to pad the game with artificial length and difficulty. The voice acting is very poor in general. The game's dialog is very bad and has far too much fowl language. Many times, I feel that the game is trying far too hard to be hip and edgy which nauseates me. The game's moving/changing environments are very boring since they do not affect the gameplay and only add sub-par platforming segments. Also the story is very boring and generally bad.
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    This game was terrible. The combat was over simplified and the weapons were uncreative. You could go through the game by just using the axe. And the dialog is just atrocious. Ninja Theory thinks they can just go through the game dropping F-bombs to the point where it loses all meaning. This new Dante tries way too hard to be cool in a game that tries to hard to be serious. This was just aThis game was terrible. The combat was over simplified and the weapons were uncreative. You could go through the game by just using the axe. And the dialog is just atrocious. Ninja Theory thinks they can just go through the game dropping F-bombs to the point where it loses all meaning. This new Dante tries way too hard to be cool in a game that tries to hard to be serious. This was just a bad, unnecessary reboot. Expand
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    It's obvious that the developers had no respect for fans. The game is also buggy as hell and the style system is broken. See YouTube videos to verify both of those claims.
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    The Game is absolute garbage son, it is by far the most simple, easy, casual entry in the Devil May Cry series. It also doesn't even run at 60 FPS, it's locked at 30, what the hell is that **** son? This is an action game for **** sake. Terrible, generic "EVIL MEDIA" story, and even worse writing and character dialogue, I cringed every time someone would open their mouth. Character andThe Game is absolute garbage son, it is by far the most simple, easy, casual entry in the Devil May Cry series. It also doesn't even run at 60 FPS, it's locked at 30, what the hell is that **** son? This is an action game for **** sake. Terrible, generic "EVIL MEDIA" story, and even worse writing and character dialogue, I cringed every time someone would open their mouth. Character and enemy designs are very poor and unoriginal. while the Devil May Cry series has always been very linear, DmC takes it to a whole new height, even beating Final Fantasy 13 in this department.

This game is a slap in the face of anyone ever played and enjoyed a previous Devil May Cry game, and insulting to the intelligence of any newcomers to the series. Do not buy this game and support the outsourcing of key Capcom franchises to fourth rate Western studios.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a really, really bad game. The framerate tanks constantly for no discernible reason, the enemies just stand around waiting for you to kill them, and the bosses have a grand total of about 2 attacks each. If you want a generic bad action game on the same level as Dante's Inferno, this is the game for you! If you want an actual good action game, Grab DMC4, the HD collection, or Bayonetta.
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    I dislike this game because, it's too much different from the previous titles and it's different in a bad way. I am totally shocked how they changed the main character, and casualised the gameplay. I do believe it could've been a good game if it had a different name, but as a DMC game it's a total disaster. nuclear waste esperava que respeitasse os fâs
  20. Jan 24, 2013
    This game is nothing but a bad experience.

Good- Nothing Bad- -It's a game that tried to be devil may cry but could not -Dumbed down combat for casual gamers -Change of artstyle from japanese to western, one useless change, the fanbase liked the japanese artstyle -Now a stain on the name of devil may cry that will never be erased, thank you Capcom. -Pandering to the wrong people,
    This game is nothing but a bad experience.

Good-
    Nothing
    Bad-
    -It's a game that tried to be devil may cry but could not
    -Dumbed down combat for casual gamers
    -Pandering to the wrong people, you don't pander to the fanbase you already own with **** you!" or killing a baby.
    -Soundtrack is meh
    -Nothing new
    -------------------------
    Capcom does it again killing another game, like Megaman.

Oh capcom, there's literally no hope for you, might aswell... "abandon all hope".
  21. Aug 31, 2013
    This game suffers from one crippling flaw which completely hampered my enjoyment and made it impossible for me to derive any pleasure from playing it.

The game does not contain even a single reference to Shrek.
  22. Feb 14, 2013
    A gigantic middle finger to all fans of the real DMC games. It seems Ninja Theory realised all the points fans liked about the games and turned every single one into god awful crap just to show us they could. It's like Mass Effect 3 endings. Well played good sirs, you're not getting a cent out of me ever again.
  23. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
  24. Jan 25, 2013
    In typical fashion, Ninja Theory have created a title more concerned with visual flare than enjoyable gameplay or mechanical depth. Combat is weak, scoring system broken, boss fights are dull and the story is juvenile. There is nothing of merit to be found here.
  25. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is such as bad as rating says us. The combat is a slow joke - you can do SSS combos with just 1 button, the animation is just horrible. The plot is a mess and all characters are unlikable. Strongly suggest you to avoid this piece of crap for the good sake. Just play DMC3 once more instead. Here is where the real action is.
  26. Jan 28, 2013
    bad gameplay, (L2 and R2 for the weapon like L1 and R1 for the catastrophic heavenly sword) bad story, bad design, too easy, too classic, too bored too disinfect, This is not a devil may cry
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    Ruined a great series that didn't need a reboot. New characters = Bad. Gameplay = too simple. Boss fights = Crap. Difficulty = too easy Overall= worse than the contents of my toilet.
  28. Jan 28, 2013
    Lets start with the David Hume Quote in the trailer. Hume was an Atheist. His quote has NOTHING to do with Religion/Demons/Angels/etc. -face palm- That should tell you where this game is headed...So!
    LOOSE gameplay. DECENT Graphics. Terrible (ironic/hipster storyline). Its about "Evil" corporations (made by Capcom and Hipster-Theory).
    The director is a racist prick from Bollywood (Yes
    The director is a racist prick from Bollywood (Yes YOU Tameem)
    Angry Joe and the rest of the Guy with the Glasses Crew are morons. They're cashing in and trying to fit in with the big dogs (IGN, Gamespot, etc).
    It's funny because after Angry Joe made his review, random people have made accounts on here making "good" 10/10 reviews.
    Most of them appear to be COD-Tards, etc.
    Anyways. To the point.
    The New Dante is Terrible. Its as if Tameem imagined himself as a white emo-kid addicted to meth (like something out of Blood on the Dance Floor).
    Again, I can't stand racist pricks from other countries (in this case he's so HATEFUL and racist that he out right not only insulted the Fans but WESTERN culture in general. Keep in mind that I AM from the Middle East and I AM VERY Familiar with Bollywood. The new DMC is like if Bollywood tried to make a Matrix movie. LOL). Anyhow. Gameplay. Is decent. Worse than Odyssey to the West (saying alot).
    Frame-rate is terrible (Angry Joe is either blind or he has a better television than most folks).
    Controls are VERY loose. Voice Acting is AWFUL (other than Virgil. Virgil looked like a Hipster but was an OKAY character, as was Mundus). Character development is terrible.

Buy this game when its 9.99.
    Thats what I did with Ninja's last game (Odyssey) And I HATED Heavenly Sword.
    I wish that SONY had never bailed out Ninja Theory. They should've left those hipsters in the economic trash-bin that they deserved to be in. They made TERRIBLE movie games before all of this (LOOK UP THEIR STUDIO HISTORY, they MADE Catwoman the game , and that TERRIBLE game , Malice).

Seriously. I'm not an angry fan-boy. I'm just an educated gentleman who is familiar with Tameem's elitist mindset. He is the villain of the DMC story, which is ironic, but oh yes, he's also a hipster, so its SUPPOOOOSSSED to be Ironic.
  29. Yes
    Jan 22, 2013
    This game got a zero because "Dante" has black hair. I'm a TRUE fan of DMC, and this game is what I call a disgrace. I don't care about the gameplay because all I care about is the change in his hair color, which makes this the worst game ever.
  30. Jan 12, 2014
    Pretty awful. Glad It was free with PS+ though so i didn't waste $60 on this mess.
    Point system ( or soul) feels really undone (it seems to take forever to just get one orb let alone two for boss fights.. hey i'm not a gamer that can beat a boss in one try usually..)
  31. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  32. Dec 10, 2013
    worst game i have ever played devil may cry 1 ,3 and 4 were nice but this is total i'd better play math games... goodbye devil may cry series from 4 nice game to a trash one it's better without this game in the series it makes devil may cry look stupid
  33. Apr 3, 2014
    Utter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plotUtter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plot twist out of no where.
    The dialogs were written by a 12 year old, such an ignorant view of being cool.
    Capcom hit a new low with this game
  34. Feb 15, 2013
    In order to fully articulate how much of a disappointment this game is, one needs to fully understand the scope of what was lost in the original series of games.

---Gameplay--- The Devil May Cry franchise was a slow but steady research and development project into the new world of a genre it created (The Stylish Action genre). DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to

---Gameplay---

DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to change styles or firearms on the fly. It did, however, allow the player to lock on to targets, something which "DMC" is lacking. DMC2: Expanded upon the options by allowing the player to change firearms during play and capitalised upon a nuance of the older game by allowing mid air juggling.

DMC3: Expanded even further by allowing the player to change devil arms on the fly whilst also introducing styles, albeit these styles were fixed per mission. The pseudo 2 player mode in the form of doppelganger was also a nice touch.

DMC4: As it's predecessors had done, expanded further by introducing a throw mechanic in the form of Nero's devil bringer and of course brought with it something new to the table in the form on-the-fly style change mechanics.

"DMC": TOOK A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS.
    So far in some aspects that it completely missed the point of the genre it was trying to reboot.
    - No lock on, which is really handy when trying not to fall to your death or shooting the projectile firing enemies at the back.
    - Combos that can be broken by accidental input on certain enemies.
    - Combos that can be broken by a certain enemy walking in the way of an attack.
    - Limiting attacking options by rendering weapons to a 'more dangerous than unusable state'. Stylish gauge that is easy to fill. (Mash one button)
    - Enemy juggles that allow the main character to essentially fly.
    - Making monotonous tasks stylish.
    - Making once monotonous but now cleared tasks contribute to your rank in higher difficulties, gimping the difficulty in getting an overall S rank and escaping the point of the difficulties in the first place.

---PLOT---
    DMC's strong point was never really plot nuances, although it had it's good moments. It had it's shockingly bad moments though (Like a plane falling through the ceiling at the right time letting the two protagonists escape: DMC1).
    Also, the franchise was going to suffer from the superman problem: "How do we write a story that is challenging for a character who is essentially to strong for everybody to handle".
    We saw this problem essentially culminate in DMC2 and the solution was a prequel, DMC3.
    They struggled a bit with DMC4 because Dante was essentially too strong, so they had to nurf him a little in some respects and by giving us a new character who was similar but different, it allowed the player to experience mortality.

"DMC" went straight for the jugular by thinking that Dante needed roughing up and bringing down a peg or two, which literally took place in the trailers.
    The in game plot was a hash of references to the old material whilst also trying to be political, edgy and fashionable. Re: F*cking swearing Wise cracking, since when?
    Dante lives in a trailer and hates humanity? Who is he a Martin Riggs addicted to meth?
    Dante is the son of an angel and a demon? Who is he Little Nicky on crack?
    Dante passes between limbo and the real world? Who is he, a tweaking John Constantine?
    Dante has a brother who wants to rule the world and tricks him into fighting on his side? Who is he, a Junkie Solid Snake?

No he is DMC Dante, the kind of guy who asks the questions the audience is asking like: "How did my coat get on the Ferris-wheel", we all know how Dante, lazy shoehorned writing.

When all is said and done, it has brought us one undeniable fact, don't crap on your fan base.
  35. Feb 22, 2013
    After all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much moreAfter all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much more negative points that overall ruin this game. Several parts of the storyline and dialogue are shocking, puerile or completely unnecessary and the game would benefit from their removal. Glitchy platforming causes death to the user at no fault of their own. Frame-rate drops at times unacceptable for a level based game on a console (open world you can sometimes forgive). Easier than all previous Devil May Cry games but this is probably an intentional based on the game designers thinking the "know better" that the creators of the previous games. The most annoying part is that pretty obvious from the opening and ending sequences that NinjaTheory pretty far up their own arses a position which is certainly unjustified from some of the amateurish content they've delivered here. A little bit of thought, maturity and humility in their decision making would have stopped a lot of the problems mentioned above. Expand
  36. Nov 22, 2013
    Ok, i play this game and this is my opinion, new Dante its a garbage, i want the old Dante in the next game, stop whit this reboot or for me DMC is very dead, i want a DEVIL MAY CRY 5!!! And not DmC2! Capcom wake up, stop whit this or you lost many players.
  37. May 8, 2014
    This game is great only if your not an fan to the series.Fans is all that mean for a game to still exist...soo yeah...this game doesn't have a lot of good terms in it like : the story is very poor ,common but interesting ; the characters are the worst thing of the game + the dialogue and the graphics are poor .. nothing impressive
  38. Aug 22, 2014
    Okay, so I'm usually against giving 0 scores, very few games deserve it, but this is one of the few. Now, I'm not basing this on the games thematic content, at least, not entirely. There's plenty of games whose content, characters and/or settings I find objectionable, but who's game play makes up for it; examples being Bayonetta and Jet Set Radio: the oversexualization of BayonettaOkay, so I'm usually against giving 0 scores, very few games deserve it, but this is one of the few. Now, I'm not basing this on the games thematic content, at least, not entirely. There's plenty of games whose content, characters and/or settings I find objectionable, but who's game play makes up for it; examples being Bayonetta and Jet Set Radio: the oversexualization of Bayonetta seemed like it was pandering to under sexed nerds and Jet Set Radio revolved around a bunch of taggers and graffiti "artist", that being a medium I despise and seems to only attract the scummiest people; but both those games exhibited amazing and addictive gameplay...so I really can't say no to them. DmC, however, does not have good gameplay.

I was even kind of excited about this game when I first heard Ninja Theory was doing it; of course I didn't like the douchey/eurotrashy look of Ninja Theories Dante, and I certainly didn't like the Combichrist on the soundtrack (you know, that band that people working at the Hot Topic think is industrial) but I had played Heavenly Sword, and the first half of Odyssey To The West and my general view was that both these games ran out of budget, and could have been great, given they had the time and money to finish them; so naturally, I thought "oh, but now they're getting a Capcom budget, so they'll have the time and the money". Sadly, as events unfolded, and the director got the spot light on him and more was revealed about his "philsophy" of game-making it became apparent that the flaws in these games were not due to circumstance, but were, in fact deliberate. They're one of those studios that buy into that accesible/cinematic/character driven form of game making, which I think is completely asinine, because, you know, just make a **** move if you want to do that **** So the combos aren't shallow in their games because they didn't have time to make a better fighting system, the platforming isn't easy and obvious because they didn't have the budget to develop it more, and the level design is bland because "they don't want to detract from their characters personality by making the world the focal point". And they brought that exact philosophy to DmC. It's easy, it's boring and it's simple, exactly like all Ninja Theory's games, and now they don't have that budge/time excuse to fall back on. Sure it looks nice, graphically (not so much design wise), but what's that thing people say about form without substance?

The most horrific thing about this though is that this the polar opposite of what Devil May Cry was, and what fans really wanted; just how different is almost unfathomable. All the styles, and the moves and the huge arsenal, they're all non-existent, or reduced to a fraction, in this game; and why not? This games so god damn easy that you'd never need to use any of that, which is also a serious departure from Devil May Cry. Also, the frame rate has been halved from the last game, and it's a different engine (unreal), which means you can expect textures popping in and out all over the place.

And, of course, I do have to talk about the characterizations and story a little bit; it's just so stupid and juvenile. Dante has no flair, or style and is completely unlikable as a character; he looks like one of those white kids you see begging for change in Berkeley California, you know, the ones that are just rebelling against their rich parents. And, actually, everyone in this game is pretty unlikable; it's like they took all the characters from the original series and intentionally made them their polar opposites.

And that's probably kind of what they did. The director had no problem telling people he didn't like the Devil May Cry series for its gameplay or it's content, so he had no problem bastardizing it and inserting what he thinks is "cool", because, you know, he knows best, obviously; and what's cool is, apparently, juvenile and asinine behavior from man-babies. It's actually kind of funny, if you look at a picture of this guy you'll see how big his ego is; his Dante is, essentially, an exaggerated version of himself, from the clothes to the haircut.

I just can't understand Capcoms decision to hand this franchise over to such a young company that had no love for the series. There's an episode of South Park about the fourth Indiana Jones movie, you know, the one we pretend never happened. In the episode Stan, I think, has a nightmare where Lucas and Spielberg corner Indiana Jones and, literally, rape him...and that's what this game is: it's a eurotrash director who listens to bad contemporary industrial music and has a stupid haircut taking Dante, bending him over and raping him; raping him til' he's angst-ridden and obnoxious.
  39. Feb 8, 2013
    Jarring, amateurish, ill conceived rendition of an iconic franchise with shallow unbalanced and broken combat, insulting art style/design, weak dialogue, story and voice acting.

A truly terrible game with the Devil May Cry name added on to it. A shocking example of how not to handle Devil May Cry.
  40. Feb 21, 2013
    DMC is an insult to the legendary histroy of Devil May cry games. To add insult to injury they even poke fun at how they changed dante's hair.

This game is a joke, even on hard it is way too easy. Yea, its flashy with solid graphics but these changes pissed off one too many fans.
  41. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  42. Feb 19, 2013
    Bad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to putBad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  43. Apr 8, 2013
    Unlike some die-hard DMC fans I couldn't care less what the main character looks like, the things that always interested me in this series is it's atmosphere and gameplay. I also can't deny loving Dante's attitude, especially in DMC 1&3.To me the series itself had always had it's own flair (even the less popular DMC2) which made me choose to buy the game time and time again.
    However DmC
    However DmC has absolutely nothing to do with Devil May Cry and it simply pains me to see such a game be considered as part of the series. I can't say that DmC is a complete fail or anything but playing it get's boring very easily, even though it's quite well-made(excluding graphics and slightly lame fighting).For me it turned out to be a waste of money
    Frankly, DmC could of even been made a masterpiece but if it does not have the atmosphere and the unique feel of Devil May Cry then why on Earth would anyone attach it to this series? The game would of probably done better on it's own with it's own audience that evidently prefers a post apocalyptic, slightly emo and punky attitude to the gothic, stylish and playfully one shown in Devil May Cry..(plus the crazy fights!!!!Oh,God I miss them...)
  44. May 14, 2014
    Starts off fun but difficulty and awful platforming increases to the point of rage-quitting frustration (this is on easiest difficulty). The awful platforming might be tolerable if the checkpoints had any respect for the player's time. Attention game developers: when a player selects "easy" the game should be easy! Good for about 5 hours but I can't recommend it after that. The game doesStarts off fun but difficulty and awful platforming increases to the point of rage-quitting frustration (this is on easiest difficulty). The awful platforming might be tolerable if the checkpoints had any respect for the player's time. Attention game developers: when a player selects "easy" the game should be easy! Good for about 5 hours but I can't recommend it after that. The game does have great art and style, however. Expand
  45. May 1, 2013
    DMC5 of performance is acceptable, but as a great game sequel was terrible. great games always listen the voice of the fans, Ninja Theory never respect the fans, this is why they failed over again.
  46. Apr 1, 2013
    This games is so boring, the gameplay look sad, & yes is very easy game, no challenge
    just play it & see for youself. Capcom Ninja Theory just waste time & the money for the remake dmc game with new style, but the game is very bad....so sad
  47. Apr 9, 2013
    I didn't liked it. Not my cup of tea, not my mug of coffee, not my can of coke. And I'm aware that I'm biased, but I PAID for this, and thus I believe I have all rights to judge for what this is. A below average hack'n slash game. Why? Oh, several reasons. The writing, dumb/slow/broken (you name it) gameplay, characterization, the oh SO terrible soundtrack in this game. Seriously, can'tI didn't liked it. Not my cup of tea, not my mug of coffee, not my can of coke. And I'm aware that I'm biased, but I PAID for this, and thus I believe I have all rights to judge for what this is. A below average hack'n slash game. Why? Oh, several reasons. The writing, dumb/slow/broken (you name it) gameplay, characterization, the oh SO terrible soundtrack in this game. Seriously, can't understand how some people were praising it. Saving by a few, the music in this game pissed me off.

And I could be more specific here, however, considering how long this game has been out, and the amount of reviews naming all these same reasons in a more fluid and impersonal form, I can't help but feel redundant here. Let's just stop beating this dead horse.
    So, just take this: I paid, finished it and didn't liked it. You can all come to tell me that I being unfair, but I am not. Just take your time and read some of the genuine reviews here. Obviously, the ones that aren't rated 10/10, that is.
  48. Mar 2, 2013
    Just a good game it can't be called Devil May Cry. Too easy, weak bosses, bad camera, bad graphics, the weapons aren't as cool as the old ones and although we can use some great combos we don't have a good variety of them and we can get a SSS rank repeating the same attack a lot of times... Thanks to destroy one of the bests franchises I've played...
  49. Jun 10, 2014
    This game is awful. This is extremely boring. All the chapters looks like the same.
    If you like to beat the same monster and demons, the same scenarios, etc, you should buy it!
  50. Oct 2, 2014
    The gameplay itself and some of the design is pretty good, however the storytelling is extremely cheesy and I personally couldn't get immersed in the story at all. Character development feels rushed and the "plot twist" is barely a twist.
  51. Oct 24, 2014
    GREAT GAME, if it released as a new video game series and not use any Devil May Cry related.

I love the gameplay, fun and easy. The story isn't so bad, just forget about the related with any original DMC (name etc.). But I hate the character design. I love original Dante for his manhood, cherful, funny, stylish and his style. And Dante for this game is so bad, it like depressed guy

But I hate the character design. I love original Dante for his manhood, cherful, funny, stylish and his style. And Dante for this game is so bad, it like depressed guy and need a big help to settle his identity. His attitude doesn't attract me at all.

Second is, I don't like the color palete when entering limbo, make my eyes sick after play in 1 hour.

I think buy DMC 4 on PS3 is more worthed than buy this DMC. I just rent it and not feel that I should have this game on my home.

I still think it would be great game, if, stand with his own world and not use any related thing to original DMC.
  52. Mar 16, 2015
    A real Devil May Cry this game is not. The action is good at best, but almost everything just ruins the experience of tne game. The writting is awfull, scratch that, THE WRITTING IS ABYSMAL and tries to hard to be a social commentary of a world controled by demons and brainwashed by media and etc, and is also so pretentious that it may be wrote by David Cage. The characterization andA real Devil May Cry this game is not. The action is good at best, but almost everything just ruins the experience of tne game. The writting is awfull, scratch that, THE WRITTING IS ABYSMAL and tries to hard to be a social commentary of a world controled by demons and brainwashed by media and etc, and is also so pretentious that it may be wrote by David Cage. The characterization and change of the backstories of beloved characters of the franchise is downright insulting for a fan of the series and shows how pitifull people are to insult your favorite game calling "not cool anymore" with such masterpiece of failure. The gameplay was reduced to such a level that there's no learning curve or challenge in battle, also, removing essential things like a lock-on button or styles that are on previous games to spice the combat just cripples the experience for anyone starting to play this after DMC3 or DMC4. This games runs at 30 f*cking frames, have long loading screens, where Devil May Cry 4 run at a solid 60 frames ON CONSOLE and have quick loading screens. If you love Devil May Cry, don't bother with this game, it's not worth even if you find really cheap somewhere. If you want to play this, find it cheap, because full price for a insulting game is not worth. Expand
  53. Jan 2, 2015
    This game was painful. The gameplay and the new character designs were just plain bad. And the graphics, while having a pretty high polygon count, just look slimy and entirely unnatural. 4 out of 10, it's functional, but not a good game and not deserving of the DMC title.
  54. May 14, 2015
  55. Jul 4, 2015
    Here we have a prime example of another popular game series getting Metroid Other M'd. The game isn't great. It isn't unplayable, but it doesn't hold up to past DMC games nor does it transfer over the spirit of them.
    The previous games focused upon building your style meter, using varying combos so the meter doesn't go down from staleness and switching weapons on the fly.
    DmC: Devil May
    DmC: Devil May Cry smacks the controller out of your hand and says no, no stylish combos. You get babby mode. The game doesn't only encourage repeat combos or the same move over and over to build your style meter, it rewards it. No previous game in the franchise would allow you to shoot a boss to SSS rank style, no other attacks used.
    Weapon changing to maximize your combos? None of that, either. You can attempt it on some enemies, but you'll find yourself running into enemies that not only kill the pacing of the game, but the fun of it as well. These enemies are color coated, which means you need to use a specific hell or heaven item against them. So you can swap against 2 weapons of that color, because apparently the Rebellion can't touch them. (???)
    It's clearly marketed towards the younger generations, with Dante's new found edgy looks and personality, looking like he's getting ready for his Black Veil Brides debut. He's generally a dick for no reason as well, while older Dante had a cynical sarcasm that made us laugh. DmC Dante delivers one liners that kept me straight faced.
    The story is predictable, but takes turns. Dante suddenly hates his brother mid-arc because the game remembered what franchise it's milking off halfway through and figured it better overcompensate.

Is the game terrible? Not really. Is it bad compared to what it's trying to live up to? Absolutely. If this released as it's own game, maybe re-skinned with original characters and plot, I think I'd end up liking it. But even nostalgia goggles can't let me give this anything higher than a 3 for a solid effort.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Mar 14, 2013
    Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.