5.2

1. Jan 15, 2013
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good: While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good:

While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was not DLC.

While the platforming is rather shallow, it does manage to show off the very impressive environments. The music seems to be fitting for the game style, and while not really my style, it never seemed to bother me too much.

The bad: Overall, the game is too easy even on higher difficulties, I found myself sustaining 0 damage on some of the bosses, SSS style ranking by repeating two combos over and over, only one if I managed to land it after a demon evade. surprisingly, a normal foe, a dual sword wielding enemy managed to be more challenging than every single boss in the game.

Out of 5 melee weapons the game provides, 2 of them manage to be rather useless, since the remaining three cover all your needs, I am talking about Rebellion, Arbiter and Aquila. This also happens with firearms, going from useless, to useful, to broken. You could say those weapons are there to give variety, you would be wrong, and I explain why next ...

Color coding, apparently the combat designer felt the best way to show off the move set was not letting you use it, you come across these color coded enemies as the game gets "harder", that can only be damaged by either a demon weapon or an angel one, the moveset on Aquila (angel) and (Arbiter) are very superior than your other options, so is their damage output, which you need since these enemies have lots of health, there goes variety.

The frame rate drops a lot to 20 fps (the old ones were 60 solid), especially towards the end when even cut-scenes suffer from it, in the very few scenes where the heavy handed red/orange/blue filter goes away, the city starts showing the unreal engine, everything looks grey with lots of bloom, with PS2 like textures and geometry.

The chief designer claims that this will elevate storytelling in games to the level of film and theatre ....

The old games were 80s B action movie cheesy, the dialog and story on this one were soap opera bad, if they made soap operas for edgy 14 year old boys and men during midlife crisis, I never knew sex scenes and profanity could be badly written until now, it´s full of shock value, no substance at all. Felt like watching The Hangover again, like an unfunny episode of Family Guy, I mean there was an abortion by sniper rifle. When the game takes itself serious it fails miserably at it too, taking a boss from Futurama character motivations from They Live and Stars Wars prequels. They removed taunting because it felt unrealistic, and yet the they show demon bosses being killed by a single bullet on a cutscene when previous game play shows those same bosses barely damaged by 400 bullets each. they also show the main antagonist, a super smart boy prodigy blabbing his master plan,in front of the wrong people at the wrong time, the worst possible way, to justify the last battle, which is is copy pasted from DMC3, only much slower.

The game is fun, looks and sounds good too. I got some eye candy, I got shallow but serviceable platforming, and for combat I got 75% old DMC, 10% Dark Sector and 15% Heavenly Sword. .......

This confused me, because when Ninja Theory said they were making it their own, I expected the combat to drastically change, for better or worse, I expected them to walk a different path, and yet it seems they walked the same one, only they gave up half way and called it a day, this made me feel the reboot was rather pointless, unless you really really like dubstep .......

Not worth full price
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    The combat is decent. The platforming is a bore. The story could've been good but was executed terrible. The script is atrocious, as is the Voice Acting and Motion Capture. It also only runs to about 7 hours. It's fun for a while, but replaying through the story and such would be absolutely unbearable. Get's a 5/10 for the fun combat, but everything else horribly drags it down.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    DmC isn't terrible, but for all that the media and it's creator's have praised it's "Shakepearan story", and "gameplay as good as previous titles" it failed to deliver. The story and characters are dull, uninspired, and frustratingly generic, but in a DMC game, none of that is as important as the combat and gameplay mechanics. While the gameplay isn't bad, it's nowhere near DMC3 or 4'sDmC isn't terrible, but for all that the media and it's creator's have praised it's "Shakepearan story", and "gameplay as good as previous titles" it failed to deliver. The story and characters are dull, uninspired, and frustratingly generic, but in a DMC game, none of that is as important as the combat and gameplay mechanics. While the gameplay isn't bad, it's nowhere near DMC3 or 4's combat. Pulling combos in DmC felt slower, easier, and not as satisfying. Color coded enemies provided a challenge, but not a good one. It was tedious having to wear them down with one specific weapon, it wasn't a fun challenge to kill them, it was got very tiring very fast. A lot of the weapons feel unbalanced as well, while one may deal a large amount of damage, another seems completely pointless unless you're fighting one of the color coded enemies because of how little damage it does. The platforming was intrusive, and one of the things I disliked the most about the gameplay. At times, it felt like I was jumping around pulling steps out of the environment more than I was getting to fight, and that's not a good thing in an action game. I feel that a lock-on function would have helped immensely though, there were times were I couldn't see what I was aiming at, or wasn't able to tell what enemy I was pulling towards me. Lock-on could have made the game much less frustrating in that regard. Despite these things, the combat is alright. There are a good amount of combos and variety of moves, and some of the weapons are fun to play around with. There are a few enemies, and a couple of bosses that were fun fights as well, though I wish they were a bit more aggressive in attacking you.

The storyline is terribly dull and might have been interesting if I hadn't already seen "They Live" or if the characters weren't written to be so unlikable. Honestly, I had more interest and sympathy for the main villain than I did for our supposed "Hero" Dante was crass, rude, and at times outright cruel. There seems to have been very little effort put into the characters, even from the voice actors who slur their lines and don't sound like they're trying to put much emotion into their respective characters. Again, half the time the villains are more convincing characters than the heroes.

In all, the game doesn't play as well as we were promised, but it still plays like an average action game. It's solid, but doesn't really stand out as something new. The story isn't the "Shakespearean" narrative we were told it was either, and while a few rather horrid parts stick out to me, the outright dull and generic nature of the story makes it utterly forgettable. DmC is comfortably average in almost all aspects. Not bad, not great.
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    Why no lock-on, why?!
    I've played two missions and can't continue playing, give us the lock-on and the game will be Great!
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Mediocre game, the story is very poorly written childish-teenage appealing mess that are in vouge right now.
    Poor uninteresting stereotyped characters like the "half demon half angel" angry loner don't really help either.
    The gameplay not only is in the category of "average hack and slash" but it's also oversemplifed and lacks completely in character putting it way under other titles that are actually enjoyable.
    The art direction is interesting and well realized, the graphics are quite nice.
    Minor bugs here and there but nothing game breaking.
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    I had been skeptical of this reboot but still got the game to give it a chance. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed Ninja Theory's effort. Basically the game is casualized, westernized and updated to appeal to to the new generation of gamers who are afraid of a challenging and Japanese game. The gameplay has been really simplified so that anyone can pull of combos but this means thatI had been skeptical of this reboot but still got the game to give it a chance. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed Ninja Theory's effort. Basically the game is casualized, westernized and updated to appeal to to the new generation of gamers who are afraid of a challenging and Japanese game. The gameplay has been really simplified so that anyone can pull of combos but this means that the combos do not require skill and therefore are not satisfying or worth bragging. The enemy AI has been dumbed down severely so that they stand idly for 10s of second and telegraph their attacks 2 to 3 seconds earlier. Weapons are imbalanced; some too weak while others too powerful. Many weapons and moves are never needed throughout the game and a player has no reason to invest time in them. Style ranking system is broken and can be exploited easily to reach SSS ranking within 3 attacks. The story starts nice and makes the player think that it will turn out to be something great but develops into nothing and abruptly ends. We get only a 10 second ending to a 7 hour game with a lot of plot-holes and unresolved issues remaining. Character are not endearing in any way especially Dante with his horrible attitude. There is a lot of platforming in this game and you may like it if it is your thing but I think it does not belongs in a technical hack and slash game series like DMC. The music is subjective and may or may not appeal to a player depending upon his taste. Finally the game is only 7 hours long and has little replay value with only Dante's white hair to unlock. I think this game is a big step down from the previous games which were highly technical, challenging and balanced in this their gameplay. However, new gamers who never played the previous game and those who are afraid of challenge will like this game. I think it is an average game at best and nothing special. It basically a game to make you feel good about your supposed "MAD SKILLZ" without possessing any. them. Expand
  7. Jan 21, 2013
    Been a fan of DMC since the very first game and heard this is a reboot not a sequel which disturbs me more then any thing. Its basically Saying yeah thoose old DMC games yeah they never really happend they are BS. Which is no need because DMC 1 was a great game even though it had a very lack luster story it didn't need a reboot. Well we got one any way and well might as well try and enjoyBeen a fan of DMC since the very first game and heard this is a reboot not a sequel which disturbs me more then any thing. Its basically Saying yeah thoose old DMC games yeah they never really happend they are BS. Which is no need because DMC 1 was a great game even though it had a very lack luster story it didn't need a reboot. Well we got one any way and well might as well try and enjoy it i mean it could be great could add more to the story right? well unfortunitly it abandons pretty much any thing resembling the first DMC's story for some thing more post modern i guess. having demons running the media and such stuff ... i dont know it was all kind of stupid to me.Then we have the new Dante oh dear god what have they done to you. Dante was once a cool looking swave, **** , cool , had a great one liner for ever thing kinda guy. Now he is a Emo looking dork who with every passing moment i just grew to despise more and more as the game went on . I mean its pretty bad when you just hate your main character but its like that with every one in the game though. They are all just lame and not well done. Though hating the main character isn't grounds for a terrable game though add on a crap story lame dialogue and the score is gona crumble a bit. Now for the gameplay with DMC is famous for ... Its pretty good . Its fast paced action pact and flows well like prevous DMC games for the most part outside of style rankings are freeking easy to rank up on . getting a SSS rank is not much of a challange now. The camera is good didnt have any trouble with it but ultimetly the problem with DMC is unlike prevouse DMC games since the story and characters feel so lame i just felt no reason to want to play this again after i beat it infact i felt more like going back to play DMC4 or DMC HD trilogy then wanting to play this again. which makes me glad i only rented it . Thats about where i would put this game at a rental and see what you think of it before you make any choice to purchase it. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2013
    An average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of theAn average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of the experience rather than adding to it. Glitches galore, exploit them at your leisure. I gave it a 5 because the combat can be fun if you're using most of your brain for something else and some of the visuals. Expand
  9. Jan 26, 2013
    Like most of the fans, I'm not the biggest fan of Dante's new look. But I decided to give the game a chance anyway. And it was...not bad. I didn't love it as much as the previous games, sure. But most of that was because I liked the characters of the former games more. Dante seems to have been made to appeal to today's "edgy" teenagers, and any time I started to grow slightly fond of himLike most of the fans, I'm not the biggest fan of Dante's new look. But I decided to give the game a chance anyway. And it was...not bad. I didn't love it as much as the previous games, sure. But most of that was because I liked the characters of the former games more. Dante seems to have been made to appeal to today's "edgy" teenagers, and any time I started to grow slightly fond of him he spewed a line that instantly made me hate him again, and just made me miss old Dante's one-liner and not so serious attitude. But oddly enough, he wasn't the character I hated the most (though he's definitely a close second.). Nah, that had to be Kat. She was pretty useless at the start of the game, only being used to get in and out of Limbo, and mostly seemed to be shoved in as a half-hearted love-interest for Dante. The other characters weren't really much to write about either, and I missed it when Mundus was an all-powerful god-like demon. Not just one with a god complex. But enough **** about the characters. The things I did like was Limbo, a lot of the levels were very well designed and very cleverly made. Hell, I actually loved the platform sections! Things I usually despise in my hack-and-slash game. Another thing I loved was the combat, switching between angelic and demonic weapons was fluid and I was able to make some truly epic combos! Unfortunately, it was also rather easy to reach SSS level in style, and to stay on it too. You see, the meter only seems to deplete when you get hit, instead of it draining while you did nothing like in the old games. And if you pay a little attention, you can dodge the hits of most enemies easily. But later on, the combat became a bit annoying. They put two hard-hitting miniboss games together to make combat "harder", but not in a fun, challenging way, just...annoying. The boss fights were also pretty fun, but not really all that hard (and I swear that one came straight out of a Futurama episode), except for the last one. The last boss fight...fine, I won't spoil it. But it was damn awesome! As for the plot in general? Well, let's face it. The plot in the older games was always a little vague...This time, the plot is a little clearer! Allthough not all that memorable. And the writing? The dialogue was pretty awful if you asked me, I don't know if it was the voice acting or just the weak writing but the dialogue between Kat and Dante as they walk to the Slu-, erm, Virility factory made me cringe, and all the F-bombs Dante has to drop to seem like a grown man just make me want to punch him in the face... All in all, DmC is not a bad game. And although it doesn't deserve the glowing praise that some Critics give it, it certainly doesn't deserve the 0, 1 and 2 scores it gets on Metacritic either. I'd say it deserves a 7, at least for Limbo, the Combat and some of the Bosses. But the Characters and Writing can definitely use some improvement. (Oh, and PS. The Devil Trigger was SH!T, not only didn't you turn into some crazy angel/demon hybrid. It also lasted way too short.) Expand
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    Sure the game is made by people who don't like or even respect the DMC series, but the gameplay is solid. The fighting is easier, which makes you feel awesome right off the bat, but I eventually felt like I hit a skill ceiling, like there was little left to learn, and near the end it devolves into Simon Says forcing you to use specific weapons against specific enemies. Unlike previousSure the game is made by people who don't like or even respect the DMC series, but the gameplay is solid. The fighting is easier, which makes you feel awesome right off the bat, but I eventually felt like I hit a skill ceiling, like there was little left to learn, and near the end it devolves into Simon Says forcing you to use specific weapons against specific enemies. Unlike previous DMC games where getting more skilled opens more options to the player as you realize what you are capable of, getting further in DmC felt more and more limiting. For this reason I say the game has no replay value and isn't long enough to be worth anywhere near $60. The level design was consistently one of the weakest parts of previous DMC games, but it's actually one of the strengths here. The environments are vibrant, imaginative, atmospheric, and mostly consist of fluid platforming instead of backtracking and puzzles. It however does feel like they were starting to run out of ideas in the later half of the game though. The characters in the game are however the weakest link. The game goes out of it's way to insult fans of the serise, so the amount of backlash this game receives comes as no surprise (Who thought that was a good idea?). Classic Dante was one of most likable and witty characters who approached fights with the same enthusiasm that the player experiences, but the new Dante comes across as apathetic, whiny, vindictive, and this attitude continues throughout the whole game lessening the entire experience. In fact everyone in the game comes across as a shallow jerk, except Kat. She's just feels tacked on just so the game can say it has a female character. All together the whole game comes across as juvenile, but Ninja Theory does have enough experience to make it coherent, and it never really feels "broken" at any point. Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2013
    I'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view.
    For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying from various places, with beautiful colors. The combat is very easy to pick up and play, you can have fun creating combos, unlocking abilities, using the grapple in the platform stages, etc. The game follows the typical structure of video-combat-platforms-video again... the platforms are entertaining at first, and in some points of the later game, but in general their only purpose is to attach one combat with another while you unlock some secret stuff if you look around. The combat can entertain you the whole game because there are a lot of options creating combos but beware, the enemies are very easy to kill. The storytelling is well made, not complicated, not free of cliches but you may be interested on how it goes, and there are a few moments of the game very very well made, with lots of effort in them, but with places where it feels a little rushed. I would only recommend it if you really like what you have seen in videos and gameplays, if you are new to the hack and slash you will enjoy it, but consider that the replayability isn't the strong point in DMC, so you should consider rent it first. For the Devil May Cry fan: The Ninja Theory work is appreciated in the sense that they had the task of making the game dumbed for the masses (as Crapcom conditioned them for sure), changing Dante, and the mechanics entirely, this wasn't an easy job to do, and the result is a lot of closeups of the new Dante and nods (like the anonymous at the beginning) just to convince the people to like the new character, that reflects lack of self-confidence of Ninja Theory which is also reflected in many aspects of the game (I feel that Ninja Theory wanted to make the game less idiot than Crapcom wanted) the result? a very versatile combo system with potential but a very weak enemies to make the combos woth to pull off (with a broken style system),there aren't any puzzles on the game but they added a very easy exploration system with the keys (and closed paths that needs to be open with the later weapons just to make you come back and feel that need more exploration), a mechanic to make the enemies harder conditioning the use of different weapons to satisfy the casual challenge needs but a pain in the ass for the hack and slash players, a storytelling forced in some points just make it feel like if it were more like a devil may cry than a different game like (I consider) this, overall, I don't recommend this if you enjoy the hack and slash, is very-VERY easy, the enemies are poor in variety and there are lots of better options for the hack and slash genre.
  12. Jan 16, 2013
    Played the demo of DMC , the new Devil May Cry / DMC 5 / DMC Reboot whatever , the combat is quite fun , there are so many diverse move sets to use chaining combos , but this acts as a double edged sword as performing them during quick combat is quite annoying , since there are air attack , air shoots , air grabs , air pulls , air melee , air melee secondary , on top of that these havePlayed the demo of DMC , the new Devil May Cry / DMC 5 / DMC Reboot whatever , the combat is quite fun , there are so many diverse move sets to use chaining combos , but this acts as a double edged sword as performing them during quick combat is quite annoying , since there are air attack , air shoots , air grabs , air pulls , air melee , air melee secondary , on top of that these have ground variants & also there is the added pain of 2 different types of dodging moves.

Emo dante is cool [ not bad as i thought ] , i played DMC 3 i guess but he wasn't that talkative but now he talks just the right amount , however when conversations happen , the dialogs are just trash talk compared to conversations i would expect from a title called DMC , consider the game as Spider-Man in a less that serious demonic world , the BGM for both the demo levels was decent , nothing exceptional.

The Graphics were awesome but after i turned off the game my eyes were a bit watery & felt some blur or sorts until i washed them .

I Would still choose Ninja Gaiden Sigma / Sigma 2 / Ninja Gaiden 2 as my favorite hack N slash action games , the deadly vibe around the atmosphere is just to brilliant along with the overall seriousness & urgency of situation.

DMC is good but areas feel empty , well at least in the demo anyway & lack of good BGM makes that even more noticeable , at least in Ninja Gaiden , rain , flowing water , lively forests covered up the fact that you are alone till the next group of enemies strike but here i got bored a bit , though the game is entertaining , but for me not worth the price capcom have slapped on it .
  13. Jan 23, 2013
    You should really play this game with an open mind. Forget about the past Devil May Cry games and play this as if a new. It is a reboot after all, all the negativity for this game is the change, and the differences when you should expect it in a reboot. Ninja Theory did a great job on this game, it's not perfect, but it certainly isn't a 0/10 that many users are posting.
  14. Jan 24, 2013
    Capcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game theCapcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game the credit it deserves and play the game on Son of Sparda, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell and Dante Must Die before you pitch the OBVIOUS lie that you can "smash triangle over and over and get a SSS". Frankly, most the fans are just crybabies that expected something revolutionary from a title that never was revolutionary to begin with. Get over yourself and enjoy the game for what it is or don't buy the game at full price if you're iffy about it in the first place. You all had the option to wait until the price came down but chose full price, first day release just to **** about something that was expected in the first place. Expand
  15. Jan 17, 2013
    The thing this game does good is, definitely, - the gameplay. Combat looks and feels easy once you got used to controls and (if you are a fan or just a guy who played and liked past DMCs) the abscence of lock-on option, whick kind of makes you feel uncomfortable at times, because sometimes Dante concentrates not on the target you want him to concentrate on or camera makes you look anotherThe thing this game does good is, definitely, - the gameplay. Combat looks and feels easy once you got used to controls and (if you are a fan or just a guy who played and liked past DMCs) the abscence of lock-on option, whick kind of makes you feel uncomfortable at times, because sometimes Dante concentrates not on the target you want him to concentrate on or camera makes you look another way thus makes you irritated, disoriented and open for damage. Because of lock -on deletion many old actions are now a bit more complicated to pull off.... I'm talking about Dante's signature "Stinger" move, which is now done by moving Left Analog Stick twice in the direction you want to attack... it may not sound difficult, but sometimes it doesn't work the way you want it to. "Getting used to" is the main principle when it comes to controls. But you don't want to hear about controls, don't you ? You want to hear about Devil May Cry ! You want to hear about what kind of awesomness is going on the screen while you watch cutscenes, how characters interact with each other and basicly how overall cool you feel while playing it. It is shame, my friends, but Hideki Kamiya's Devil May Cry is long gone from here. You won't feel yourself controlling a guy who is in constant control over the situation, who jokes and cheers you up with his carefree attitude, his charm and lack of seriousness. No, this game takes itself way too serious: some cutscenes in the game make you feel as if it tries too hard to be Metal gear Solid, because it has a bad habbit to always explain things (which original universe didn't too with such fanatism). The bosses are pretty good, I liked nearly all of them, but mind you - not as boss-fights (they are pathetically easy) but as persons with characters, my most favourite are Bob Barbas, who is, strictly speaking, a satire towards T.V. news network and Media itself, and second one is Mundus, who, for my personal pleasure has a pretty likable and interesting personality (the thing he didn't have in DMC1). The enviroments look great and colourful with secrets waiting on every corner, but I can't bring myself to love those scripted "RUN" sequences which literally scream at you: "I WANT TO LOOK LIKE UNCHARTED SO YOU CAN LIKE ME MORE !!!"... They make you feel as if all your actions are scripted by some game programmer who thought that it might be neccessary to disable all attack buttons while the scripted scene is being "played" without the need of your taking part in it. Mind you - the game isn't bad by any means, it has nice combat, interesting story premise which deals with interesting and believable issues like "What is freedom ?" "What would humans do with freedom ?" "Why a man needs power ? In order to protect those who have need in his protection or in order to enslave the will of those he has power over ?" and yes, those are interesting things to think about, but this isn't Metal Gear Solid, neither this is Silent Hill, this is Devil May Cry - a game, main goal of which was always in making you feel yourself in control of Awsomness Embodied, a unbeliaveble man who does everything in the name of looking good and stylish while saving the world... Here, on the other hand, we have a believable characters, who aren't even half that cool and awesome.... And this is the main sin of this game - it is not as enjoyable as classic games (well, it is better then 2, that's for sure). So if you are a open minded fella who is interested in new ideas and images for old characters and gameplay premises then this game is fr you. As for me (being a enormous DMC fan since 10 years old) I see a good game which tries to be Devil May Cry while being something absolutely different. For example classic Devil May Cry traditions are left behind: Dante does not get impaled by his own sword, doesn't destroy the last boss with "JACKPOT" and doesn't shed a single tear in the end of the game.
    It's really for you to decide is it bad or good
  16. Feb 21, 2013
    I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC.I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC. After all I'm also a fan of the Bayonetta witch and I've been very entertained by it but it just felt like the right game in the wrong franchise. If you're just looking for some twisted action, you should definetly give DMC a chance and experience a seven Long story short: Devil May Cry is the best Bayonetta 2 that could`ve been. Expand
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    DmC is the reboot of the Devil May Cry series by Ninja Theory. It is intended to direct a franchise in a new direction and gain a broader audience. I had no cons about the ideas behind the revitalizing of the series its mythos, but merely with the execution of the ideas.

PRESENTATION: Very Good. The artistic story telling is fantastic in the game, as well as the in game text to amplify some action scenes. Menu has framerate issues but well laid out and simple to see.

GRAPHICS: Good. Environment immerses the player into it and framerate is fluid to follow the action. The game overuses the orange red color palette as well as the green blue one which tends to saturate the world you are in after a couple of hours into the game.

SOUND: Very Good. The soundtrack in the game is great and it delivers the theme of the game quite nicely. The voice acting is well done too, you can tell the brothers apart when they speak but also sense their relation...Mundus also delivered an impact performance. Sound effects are also very good but at times overwhelmed by the soundtrack.

GAMEPLAY: Good. Heavily hindered by the level design, the gameplay mechanics are seamless, very well rounded and easy to implement. The amount of combos stretches as far as your imagination can, switching between Devil Angel weapons is fast and fluid and the controls are quick and responsive. The pacing of the game is questionable for an action game, specially for one with such a deep combo system. The camera is good and user controlled for the most part and even pauses enemies from attacking you if they are off screen. The Devil Trigger suspends enemies into the air this time around while you inflict damage. As usual some health regenerates and there is increased damage.

LEVEL DESIGN: Poor. This is where all the bad spots of the game came back to. The traversal through the game is mainly compromised by jumping. EVERYWHERE. It became tedious after seeing how much it consisted to go through a level, and it broke the pacing of the game considerably, since some areas there was just too much of it. Overall Limbo is designed somewhere out of the Deconstructivism movement, where things are broken parts of themselves and the pieces make up an ugly whole. The best level design for me was the Disco level, and something I'd revisit, weird boss and all. The environments turn dull towards the end, slowing the adventure down. One of the Boss fights implements the platforming quite well, and that probably was as far as it should have been taken to make up the level design.

STORY: Good. The new direction that they deviated the original storyline from was well implemented. Dante and Vergil being sons of a Demon Angel, some type of anomaly that can extinguish evil is a believable storyline to start from. The explaining of their origin was engaging as well. The middle and ends of the plotline of the game however, are not.

BEASTIARY: Very Poor. The enemies in DmC are not much for variety. Apparently anywhere you go in Limbo the demons are pretty much the same. They have different types of the same enemies, where ones are vulnerable to either Angel or Demon weapons. Overall you will face upgraded versions of the same enemies throughout the game. One in particular should have been a boss because he was really cool to face, and his upgraded versions, since the 5 a half boss fights in the 20 level game are deficient for an action game. They are mostly large, blob like figures instead of the fearsome creatures prevalent in games of this genre. They are quite the mixed bag the fights consist of yes heavy PLATFORMING.

DIFFICULTY: Easy. Accurate. I played the game on the Nephilim Hard difficulty and I barely died, ever. The game difficulty seems just about right so anyone can just pick this up and kick ass. Be aware that restarting a checkpoint counts as a death in the game what? and the autosave feature will NOT hold on to your items if you've used them and then died or restarted ).

LASTING APPEAL:

Players of the previous games will most likely not favor this game too much. The story mode may be good for one play through, but the excessive platforming may anger God of War veterans as well as the lack of boss fights. Also being a short adventure 8 hours and the lack of the Vergil DLC at launch to extend it, sadly is not enough to warrant a full retail purchase like I did I'd recommend holding off for God of War Ascension instead.

I rate it a 7.5 10.0
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    Let me start: this is not DMC. No, i'm not a fanboy and i'm not saying that because i don't like Dante's hair. The whole game changed. The personality of the characters has changed completely. Vergil is not even recognizable. The heavy metal still cool as ever, but this time has to share its place with annoying dubsteps. The game is a lot easier and friendly to casual players(normal mode).Let me start: this is not DMC. No, i'm not a fanboy and i'm not saying that because i don't like Dante's hair. The whole game changed. The personality of the characters has changed completely. Vergil is not even recognizable. The heavy metal still cool as ever, but this time has to share its place with annoying dubsteps. The game is a lot easier and friendly to casual players(normal mode). Where's that difficulty that made the other games so remarkable ? The dialogue is bad, i mean REALLY BAD. Everything that comes out of Dante's mouth is either unfunny or just vulgar (NT thinks that Dante has to say disgusting words to be cool). No clever writers on this one, definitely. The graphics are quite good, and the dynamic "set pieces" in the scenarios are well made. The gameplay has good flow. The main problem of the game is not its overall quality (because, don't get me wrong, its a damn good action game) but the fact that is so much different from the other ones. We only had one "perfect" DMC (DMC 3), then Capcom put a new character as protagonist in DMC 4 and then they sell the franchise. The action sequences in DmC haven't even 1/6 of the coolness from the action scenes of the old DMC games. The jokes in this new game are shamefully BAAD. Where Dante tried to be cool, he ended up being stupid or jackass. DmC is flashy and colorful maybe to compensate the fact that it's empty. What made the franchise stand out to this day it's the characters and their mannerisms, cool dialogues, the very creative action scenes and the incredibly fun hardcore gameplay. Most of those qualities ,unfortunately, are now gone but at least we still have a very good action game, nonetheless. Expand
  19. Jan 23, 2013
    This is a decent reboot. The audio and art design is great. Combat is good but controls can be confusing to remember sometimes. Towards the end the game gets pretty repetitive. Overall the game feels hollow and not fully fleshed out. Accessible to newcomers. The story reminds me of Batman Begins. It's like the rebirth of a superhero. The thing I loved most about the game was the over theThis is a decent reboot. The audio and art design is great. Combat is good but controls can be confusing to remember sometimes. Towards the end the game gets pretty repetitive. Overall the game feels hollow and not fully fleshed out. Accessible to newcomers. The story reminds me of Batman Begins. It's like the rebirth of a superhero. The thing I loved most about the game was the over the top zaniness in the game. I liked the soundtrack too. I felt it fit the game very well. Dante as a character is great. There's good voice acting. Bottom line: if you are looking for something different or over the top then you might enjoy this game, otherwise it probably won't be worth it to pick this up. Expand
  20. Feb 3, 2013
    Played the originals they weren't to great, I like this one. No plot holes, minor glitches in combat (Which the original had.). Gritty, nice, new visualization and swearing. The end level fight (You will get it if you play it.) development still could have been eased into better. But still good weapons, good combat system.
    Pick it up give it a go. BTW original fanboys probably not for
    Pick it up give it a go. BTW original fanboys probably not for you, go complain all through the forums.
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I haven't been so awestruck by swirly colourful graphical beautifulness since Bayonetta. I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of fairly random button hammering. You need to learn the jumps, but the rest you can leave to chance. If your kids are watching then just thell them its on uber hard difficulty and pretend all your lucky killer moves are deliberate.

Overall I still preferred Bayonetta, but DMC was a blast.
  22. Feb 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:Gameplay is fun and enjoyable, new characters Kat and Phineas are interesting, and (Personally) I thought the soundtrack was amazing. Cons:Does not live up to it's promise of a great storyline and gameplay while fun, does feel like a step-down from the Style System from DMC3 and 4, games feels to easy and quite frankly I felt some missions were so short. The only reason they were counted as separate missions. Was to try to make the game seem longer. Also the new Dante is just plain boring, compared his classic counterpart. Largely due to the fact he lacks the original's witty humor and flamboyant personality. Overall a fun game, but a bad Devil May Cry Expand
  23. Feb 6, 2014
    DMC is a total reboot of Devil May Cry franchise, done by a new team. I played the other games in the franchise, and though I enjoyed them all, none of them truly wowed me. Honestly, neither did this--but I probably liked it more than any of the others.

Story Prior DMC games have plots that are usually only about half-way coherent. DMC is a step up in the this regard, creating a story

Story
    Prior DMC games have plots that are usually only about half-way coherent. DMC is a step up in the this regard, creating a story that is mostly coherent, if not stunning. Dante and his brother Vergil are terrorists working to bring a Demon King that is secretly controlling the world. This is somewhat underutilized, since Dante only fights demons during gameplay, facing human opponents only briefly in cutscenes. Nevertheless, I was okay with it. The world is also reimagined, focusing on the realm of Limbo, where demons drag Dante to try and kill him. Overall, the most fleshed out of any DMC world building to date.

Graphics
    The game's graphics are solid, but nothing special. Just about average for a PS3 game.

Gameplay
    It's fast, continuous action. The sheer diversity of weapons and actions sometimes almost seem too much to me. You can string just about anything into a combo, which actually kind of made me feel there was less depth than there could have been. Still, when it works, it can be fun to swing from one enemy to the next, assaulting them with a barrage of nonsensical demon and angel weapons. As usual, the moves are totally over-the-top.

Overall
    It was a fairly fun way to pass the time, but it never elevated itself to memorable levels. 7/10.
  24. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is better than I expected. Combat is mostly pretty smooth and still feels pretty good when you play on higher difficulties and pull something elegant off. It's much easier on the whole though. There are very very few real bosses and none of them are really at all difficult. Odd for a game that's entirely action based.

The atmosphere is excellent in terms of visuals, stage

The atmosphere is excellent in terms of visuals, stage design is creative but platforming is simple and less imaginative. The characters range from bland to somewhat likable but Dante is cringe worthy until about the middle where he sort of fades out.

The plot is simple and paced fairly well. Plus it was the rental for last month so not a bad deal for ps+ users. For free you might as well try it if you like action and have time. Otherwise, it's something you can afford to miss.
  25. Mar 16, 2014
    Not being a fan of the original games, and frankly, hardly giving them a chance is what may make me seem rather bias throughout this review. However, I still feel I am entitled to what I have to say, so here I go.

DMC is, at least in my eyes, a decent game. Is it great? No. Does it have innovative, revolutionary mechanics? Far from it. Is it fun? Definitely. DMC takes you through

DMC takes you through multiple environments, allowing you to hack, slash and bash your way through using a score based melee system. The game contains multiple collectibles and challenges, the former mostly in the form of keys, and the latter in the form of doors, opened using said keys. Each challenge is effectively a little combat or platforming section, in which you must navigate or battle your way through to an objective. Rather uninspired, but quite a lot of fun.

In terms of characters, they seem rather unlikable and not all that unique. Full of cliches and phrases which only seem to be achieved through Western developers, they offer very little to the plot, and only serve as stepping stones (and occasionally, obstacles) in what seems to be the games heart; combat. Don't be expecting A-grade writing on the story, either; just another cliche which feels rather tiresome and dull.

The killer feature of the game is it's combat system, which is fluent and almost perfect, making use of multiple weapons and equipment, with a set of upgrades purchasable from the store. The environments also feel unique; leaping through limbo in the style of a news broadcasting station or a dance club is rather entertaining.

Overall, the game is lacking quite a bit, but I still feel it isn't deserving of the drastically low scores people seem to be giving it. It's an okay game; not terrible, not great. I can see how it may be insulting to an original DMC fan, but the best cure for that is to not think of it as DMC at all, but a spinoff, an extra, a little sideshow.
  26. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is fun as hell. Sure it's not the same as the first 3, (I played those as well) but it's still a great game. The voice acting for Dante is kinda meh at points but the game was still really fun. **** the negative reviews.
  27. Mar 14, 2015
    As a newcomer to the series, I thought the medium difficulty was just right.. I didn't get stuck during the game, but meanwhile it did get tense, especially during boss fights.

The inventive unique grappling-hook-based platforming and the spectacular boss fights make me consider a higher score, but I think the core gameplay is too similar to its competitors, namely Bayonetta. I didn't see any ideas and think "wow, they came up with THAT?!" because I've already seen variations of it in other games. Actually, the hook-flying-thing felt unique and fresh. Gotta hand that to the devs.

The game's arenas have minimal variation in layout, it's most often just the same kind of basic arena setup with different background visuals, and it lacks the interaction with environment you find in some other games like Sleeping Dogs.. I think the game does excel as an ambitious whole, but it's still just 'above average' in regards to what you take away from the experience.
  28. Jul 6, 2013
    Although not one of the best games I have ever played, I did have fun with this game. It took a little time to actually get into, but when I finally did I enjoyed it.
  29. May 13, 2014
    Story: Ninja Theory actually put more effort on its story than any of its predecessors did. You play as Dante who has been brought to the Order (an anti-media cult) to help expose the demons that control the human population, while at the same time, poking fun at real life media (FOX news, sprite, a certain news reporter, etc.) in the process. If you've seen the cult film "They Live", thenStory: Ninja Theory actually put more effort on its story than any of its predecessors did. You play as Dante who has been brought to the Order (an anti-media cult) to help expose the demons that control the human population, while at the same time, poking fun at real life media (FOX news, sprite, a certain news reporter, etc.) in the process. If you've seen the cult film "They Live", then you know what the story is about. I found it unique how Ninja Theory made the demons able to control the humans with hidden cameras, poisoned sodas, corrupted news stations, and other unique ways. The characters however, are weak (especially when compared to the original 4 games).The new Dante's look is more of a punk teen rather than an emo, but his personality still sucks as he acts all selfish and tough around the rest of the cast. Plus, his one-liners suck compared to the original Dante (also hated how Ninja Theory basically insulted the original DMC series with that awful wig joke). Vergil is also weaker compared to his DMC3 counterpart not just in look, but in personality as he also acts selfish and does some controversial actions during the game (won't say as it'll spoil it). Kat (Dante's love interest) is also forgettable as she doesn't do much in the game. The rest of the characters like Mundus, his wife, and most of the bosses are also forgettable. The only interesting guy is Bob Barbas, but only because of how much of a hilarious jackass he is. The dialogue and voice acting aren't great either, and the ending was predictable (especially if you've played DMC3). Overall, this may be the best DMC plot, but that ain't saying much. 6/10

Gameplay:
    DMC is by far the EASIEST DMC game of the franchise, so if you're expecting a challenging hack-and-slash game, you'll be disappointed. There are 5 weapons in total: Your Rebellion sword, 2 angel weapons (fast, agile, and useful on crowds), and 2 demon weapons (slow, powerful, and deadly against single enemies), and swapping from normal, to angel, and to demon is as simple as holding a trigger. There are a few firearms (including Ebony and Ivory) in the game, and all of them are weaker than they've ever been. Luckily, there's a good amount of enemies to keep the gameplay entertaining. One big change to the gameplay is the style system. It's true you could "button-mash" your way to an SSS rating, but you're better off mixing up your combos as using the same move lowers it's value more. I really liked the skill system in this game since you could invest in a new combo, and you could remove that point to relocate it to some other combo all for free. This game does get challenging once you get to "Son of Sparda" mode and other higher difficulties (there are some exploits that make the combat more easier). You also get to use angel whips (pull you towards targets), and demon pulls (pull targets towards you) to make for some well made platformer sequences, along with the return of "Devil Trigger" (special ability). After a few updates, Ninja Theory added "Bloody Palace" (type of survival) mode as free DLC, so you'll be busy for a while after completing the story mode. The gameplay is great, but not at the same level as DMC3 or 4. 8/10

Graphics:
    The game's graphics are above average. The models look decent, the textures look decent, the lighting is solid, and the environments look okay. 6/10

Sound:
    The game has a good score. There are some songs by Combichrist that are my personnel favorites, but there are some songs that didn't stick inside my head after I finished playing. The in-game battle sounds are really good though. 7/10

Multiplayer:
    Only leaderboards.

Verdict:
    This reboot isn't as bad as everyone's saying, but it isn't the best DMC out there (I still recommend you get the HD collection 1st before this one). At it's current price, you could pick it up, or rent it if you like. Despite my thoughts on this, I'm still down for an improved sequel in the future.

Rating: 7/10
  30. Mar 22, 2013
    DmC is a decent reimagining of the series. The game has a good flow to the combat, and even though its been dumbed down since previous entries, it is still the selling point of the game. Other then that the story just seems too angsty, like it's trying to seem hXc. The length is also sinfully short. Beat it in about 5 and a half hours. That amount of gameplay just isn't worth $60 any more.
  31. Mar 23, 2013
    Pretty game, but not at the same level of the older games of Devil May Cry and way too muchu heasy. The new Donte is nothing compared to the old dante and the story isn't that awesome, i'll give it a 6 only for the nice gameplay :S "nice" a little too much :S
  32. Mar 30, 2013
    While I can't see this being a great DMC game, I can see DMC as a good slasher game. First of all, combos and fighting is very fluid. Decently complicated, but not impossible, the controls start off simple, and the levels ease you into learning new tricks and getting new weapons. As for the story, the same can't be said. If this hadn't been a DMC game, it could've been better. The storyWhile I can't see this being a great DMC game, I can see DMC as a good slasher game. First of all, combos and fighting is very fluid. Decently complicated, but not impossible, the controls start off simple, and the levels ease you into learning new tricks and getting new weapons. As for the story, the same can't be said. If this hadn't been a DMC game, it could've been better. The story tries to fit the classic characters (Virgil, Dante, etc) in, but simply can't do to the lore that has already been presented in previous DMC games. Another thing is that some mechanics could use more work. I am not a fan of having to play through a level 5 times just so I can unlock everything. But, despite the weak story and some bad mechanics, DMC is still a solid slasher, and shouldn't be discounted just because of fan's reactions to the reboot. Expand
  33. May 5, 2013
    I liked this game, yeah. I'm a real big Devil May Cry fan. I love the mythos, the lore, the characters. etc. It was hard to play this game with everything so different. But as a Hack 'n Slash game, its really good. Other than the fanboy in me about Dante & Vergil's changes, I can't help but dislike how simple & bare-bones the combat was in the other Devil May Cry. The story also is nothingI liked this game, yeah. I'm a real big Devil May Cry fan. I love the mythos, the lore, the characters. etc. It was hard to play this game with everything so different. But as a Hack 'n Slash game, its really good. Other than the fanboy in me about Dante & Vergil's changes, I can't help but dislike how simple & bare-bones the combat was in the other Devil May Cry. The story also is nothing to special, just the old They Live plot in a different setting, and the characters...well, I don't like them, surprise? In general, as a Devil May Cry fan, this game does not do it for me. But, as a fan of the Hack 'N Slash genre, its pretty fun, but too simple & easy. Get it if you want. Expand
  34. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is a decent action game but clearly inferior with the previous Devil May Cry.

The weak point of this game is the story, horrible writing with awful characters. A main character who says "My name by the way is Dante, but you can call me Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring don't you think and saying ****
    If you compare the new Dante with the old, the reboot is totally garbage in personality and feat.
    All cutscene are boring, nothing cool, impressive or memorable.

The gameplay is a downgrade and you can button mash, gun damage is weak, 2 stances with blue vs blue/red vs red... 2 dodges buttons, no manual lock, 30 fps,...It's feels like Heavenly Sword, the demons and boss are too easy and uninspired.

The soundtrack is ok for the theme of this game.

The good point is the artistic design but inconveniant is full of colors orange, blue, green(Unreal oblige) with a lot of repetitive platforming.

The game is in developpement for 3 years, you can finish this game in 7 hours, it's very short. The replayability is not very good, too easy and not challenging.

The ending of DmC is bad and rush. "i don't know who i am anymore"

Nice try Capcom and Ninja theory but this DmC has bad influence with teen like swearing. The franchise already appeal western gamers, Devil May Cry and Dante don't need a reboot.
  35. Dec 28, 2014
    This was my first DMC game in the series, so I cannot compare it to previous chapters, but if you're looking for a spectacle hack'n'slash action, you cannot go wrong with this. Me personally, I prefer my games to be something more than just a circus style button mashing and annihilating hordes of enemies, so it's not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the ride nevertheless, I liked theThis was my first DMC game in the series, so I cannot compare it to previous chapters, but if you're looking for a spectacle hack'n'slash action, you cannot go wrong with this. Me personally, I prefer my games to be something more than just a circus style button mashing and annihilating hordes of enemies, so it's not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the ride nevertheless, I liked the angel/demon theme, even the story and especially the music was fantastic, atmospheric instrumentals by Noisia and ass-kicking Combichrist during battles to make your blood pumping. Honestly, soundtrack is easily the best part of this game. Framerate on PS3 was not ideal, but definitely playable. If I was 10 years old, I would probably love this game. 6/10 Expand
  36. Dec 5, 2013
    Ok, let me set this record straight. Yes, this game has no real connection to the original four Devil May Cry games. It is set into a different universe with a different origin story of the two brothers. However, as a stand alone game, it's not bad. Technically that's what it is. What this game does is tell an alternate story of Dante. This is actually no different than the Legend of ZeldaOk, let me set this record straight. Yes, this game has no real connection to the original four Devil May Cry games. It is set into a different universe with a different origin story of the two brothers. However, as a stand alone game, it's not bad. Technically that's what it is. What this game does is tell an alternate story of Dante. This is actually no different than the Legend of Zelda games. Think about it, there are three different timelines after Ocarina of Time, now take three games from each timeline such as Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and the Adventure of Link. These three are separate universes and DMC is the same when it comes to Devil May Cry. People are judging this because it doesn't go for the same plot, it doesn't have the same look for the characters, but is that really such a bad thing? This is Capcom working with Ninja Theory for the first time, and sure, it's not the best but it's not the worst either. The only reason I didn't give this game a full 10/10 is because of a few things: there are a few plot holes, the game was ridiculously easy, and the game didn't have as many bosses as its alternate-universe predecessors. But judging it because it doesn't follow the story or the same portrayal of the original games is petty and annoying and I'll thank you to leave Dante's look or the story out of your complaints. Expand
  37. UCA
    May 5, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  38. Jun 24, 2015
    Just because Dante has black hair doesn't mean this game gets a 2/10 it deserves this score for a couple of reasons, yes all the characters are unlikeable but the game also has a watered down combat system with no lock-on and no styles and the use of color coding. Not to mention it runs on the Unreal Engine 3 which takes long load times, texture pop-ups and the game runs at 30fpsJust because Dante has black hair doesn't mean this game gets a 2/10 it deserves this score for a couple of reasons, yes all the characters are unlikeable but the game also has a watered down combat system with no lock-on and no styles and the use of color coding. Not to mention it runs on the Unreal Engine 3 which takes long load times, texture pop-ups and the game runs at 30fps (thankfully the PC version runs at 60fps) DMC4 was released five years ago and it looks and runs better. The only positive I have was Limbo since I liked it's use of being very colorful. I recommend you get a rental or buy this game on sale. Expand
  39. Oct 17, 2014
    DmC: Devil May Cry

Game-play:The game play of this game is very good with fast combos and lot of weapons with the new weapon select system that is great and fast but the game is easy very easy even in the hardest difficulty level and the boss fight are not that good as it was on the original Devil May Cry. Story:The story is fun and interesting the only thing that ruins the story of
    DmC: Devil May Cry

Story:The story is fun and interesting the only thing that ruins the story of this game is the character development that sucks the Dante have nothing in common with the classic Dante the only female in the game Kat is uninteresting and the Virgil one of my favourite characters in the original sucks as well.But the reboot in decent it gives us some completely different story from the original and that is partly good,it will keep you about 7 to 8 hours.

Graphics:I do not thing that the graphics in this game are so special.

Notes:I hate Dante's new look and the biggest mistake that i think this game done is the completely change look of the ebony and ivory the two bad ass pistols.you should buy this game if you are a hack n slash fun especially when it get a price drop.
  40. Nov 27, 2014
    The combat makes it a seven.

Few games have such stylish and complex combat.

It's fun to play but the puzzle are too easy, the story leaves much to be desired and the monster designs are bland.
  41. May 19, 2015
    Okay before you play this game realize that if you are a hardcore fan of this franchise the character redesign along with the first few levels might make you what to do what many have done here on metacritic scream out and say "this game is the worst game ever" but in reality its not the worst thing ever this game simply melds fun fast gameplay with excellent visuals to create a great gameOkay before you play this game realize that if you are a hardcore fan of this franchise the character redesign along with the first few levels might make you what to do what many have done here on metacritic scream out and say "this game is the worst game ever" but in reality its not the worst thing ever this game simply melds fun fast gameplay with excellent visuals to create a great game in a gameplay front what makes the game suffer the most however is the story i wont get into to details but overall characters seem less flushed out then ever before and both old fans of dmc and brand new players will both likely not care or feel any emotion at all toward any of these characters which is a deep disappointment as you can tell the people over at ninja theory really wanted you to.

Pros
    gameplay is fast and fun
    visuals our on point and bosses our fun and original

Cons
    Characters are boring and lifeless
    you likely wont care about any part of the story
    preppy emo redesign can be annoying in the least
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    Before starting, I would like to make it clear that my negative view is based on how the game stands on it's own. I am not comparing it to the other entries in the series, as it is a reboot. The most important element of any game is how it plays, the mechanics. In this regard DmC not only fails to innovate in it's genre, but does so with a shining display of mediocrity. Even God of War'sBefore starting, I would like to make it clear that my negative view is based on how the game stands on it's own. I am not comparing it to the other entries in the series, as it is a reboot. The most important element of any game is how it plays, the mechanics. In this regard DmC not only fails to innovate in it's genre, but does so with a shining display of mediocrity. Even God of War's simplistic square and triangle mashing combat gives more to appreciate with it's quality of production. The combo system in DmC gives the player little room to improve throughout the game, and is easily exploited by the player to effortlessly dispatch opponents making for a rather dull experience. New weapons found throughout the game provide little to the experience, and absolutely nothing that we've not seen (and grown tired of) in the genre. Input of moves feels clunky, and this is made even worse by the unacceptable frame rate. Supporting it's sluggish, thoughtless mechanics is a narrative so laughably dreadful I cannot comprehend how it made it into the final product. I would expect such pretentious drivel from the scrawling of an angst-ridden teenage girl, but not from a project with multi-million dollar backing. It's 'They Live' with demon's in place of aliens. The characters have very little depth of personality and barely qualify as anything more than cliché and plot device. Not to mention the moronic, testosterone fueled dialogue meant to entrance the player with some sort of immature power fantasy.

Everything else about the game is acceptable, but nothing special. You won't be moved by the visuals or the music, but you won't be offended either. In two words, the game is pretentious and mediocre. I find that the best thing this game does is to highlight just how low the standards of video game 'journalism' have fallen.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.