5.2

1. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    "DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and " no **** you". The Plot is your typical masturbatory tale of how corporations are bad and evil with edgy little twists like the murdering of unborn children and brothers debating the length of their **** With all of the above in mind It seem ninja theory are the hero's we truly need to drag unscrupulous game journalists into the spot light and hopefully discover how they justify misleading and lying to consumers with claims that games such as DmC is anything near good.

I give this game a 10/10 for the valuable service it provides. Oh metcritic users here's a fun game, view the other reviews of anyone who gave this a 10/10 cause they sure love ninja theory games and that's about it.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is awesome. If you love action games do yourself a favor go buy this now! If you believe these phony negative reviewers you will be missing out on one of the best action games to come out for a long time .I usually dont write reviews but it pisses me off when people give games an unjustified negative review.
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed
    and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Very impressive game, one of the first reboots of a franchise that I have played and truly loved. I have been playing the Devil May Cry series since the first and I am impressed with Ninja Theory's vision and execution of ideas in this game. The art direction is fantastic, everything from character designs to environments look so unique. They have managed to take most aspects of what I loved about previous games and apply there own unique vision which has resulted in a breath of fresh air in a series that I felt had become stale after the third entry in the series. The game play while it does feel different is still fast paced and incredibly fun. The story is also while not perfect is still a major step up from any other title in the series so far. The only negatives in my opinion would be the difficulty level which to me was to easy at the beginning (although harder difficulties do become available) and the boss fights which I found to to be less open and free then the rest of the game. 9/10

It really makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer when various others use sites like this to give completely inaccurate and biased reviews to to effect a games sales. People are perfectly entitled not to like a game but to put down a game of this quality just because it isn't the same as what came before is ridiculous. Most negative reviews from users that I have seen so far do not even give any constructive criticism and instead bash a game, a lot of them I can guarantee have never even played. A review is meant to be unbiased. You can't honestly say this game has no good aspects to it. People need to realize that change is good. It drives innovation, without it the industry would become even more saturated with clones of more successful games which has already occurred. Focusing entirely on the negatives without any positive input at all could possibly destroy a series not improve it. If people truly love a franchise and you want aspects of a particular game to be improved or changed this is the attitude we need to take.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    LOL @ all these people hating on the game because it's different. I've played all the DMC games and this one is one of the best. The combat is fluid, the story is fun - and don't even say it's edgy because of the dialogue. People in the real world don't speak in perfect dialogue all the time, every day. I hear curse, disgusting words around me all the time, every day. So why wouldn't an actual protagonist? Get real. Don't hate on the game just because it's not the old DMC. Give it a shot. Rock it out. Have fun. Don't listen to these haters. Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    Great improvement to a mediocre series. Character is a lot more interesting instead of being one gigantic anime joke. Cheesy bits are obvious throwbacks instead of just the writing. Combat is more fluid and varied than 4 even, though the later enemies aren't as interesting.
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    I will try to take every single detail into account while writing this review. Hokai here it goes:
    Let it be known that I have been a faithful Devil May Cry fan since the original one came out on the PS2. I have played every single DMC game and I have watched every episode of the animated series. At first I rejected this game because it was not the Dante I knew and loved. But as I played
    the first few missions, a new admiration overcame me. This new Dante is just as bad ass as the original. Sure he's more sexual and has a different look, but he has the same "whatever" badass attitude that we've come to love. The cast of characters isn't as great as Arkham, Lady, Jester and the rest from DMC 3, but they're similar in magnitude. The new Vergil is pretty cool and he did not deceive me for a second. You have to also accept the fact that this game is WAY BETTER than DMC 4. DMC 4 was the worst Devil May Cry game that I have ever played. The first half was amazing, but then the second half had the exact same missions in the exact same areas, with the EXACT SAME BOSSES. This game has a great story backed up with amazing levels that are visually stunning. The "flashback" environments with the gigantic chained statue or the way the world crumbles and changes as Dante is sucked into Limbo are amazing. The combat is still reminiscent of the original. The Style ratings are still there, thank god. And it's just pure fun. There's no complicated sword charging like in DMC 4 and you can keep a combo flowing for virtually minutes if you've got the skill for it. I personally would have preferred if they included more weapons like in DMC 3, but whatever I'm good with this. Overall, it does not beat DMC 3, the shining beacon of hope for games like these, but it is an AMAZING game. DEFINITELY BETTER THAN DMC 4 AND 2. You can see that Ninja Theory really poured their heart out into this and really tried hard. Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    Please do not believe all the people who hate this game on principle. This is a fantastic game that entitled fans of the prior series want to see fail.

Having that out of the way as someone who's played and enjoyed every DMC other than 2, I can say with no doubt that this is a well crafted game and more than worthy of the title Devil May Cry.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    As god is my witness, this game's the height of perfection. Instead of a once ugly duckling Dante with old white grandpa hair, we now have a beautiful brunette swan. Thanks to Capcom for truly reaching the pinnacle of utter perfection with this absolute masterpiece of a game. I've already taken my copies of DMC, DMC2, DMC3, and DMC4, put them in the trash, and now DmC, Ninja Theory's stupendous reboot, sits upon the gaming throne in this hardcore gamer's domain. Expand
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    Okay, first off, I guarantee you that the low user score is completely unbalanced, because half the bad reviews give it a zero, meaning that there's no redeeming qualities at all, yet they admit stuff that's good. Long story short, fan boys are **** and they think that spamming this page with bad scores will make a difference. Here's a completely honest review, all feelings aside. This game has amazing production values. Fluid animations, great motion-capture acting, amazing art direction, great characterization, etc. Pretty much everything visually is perfect, frame rates aside. Story is great for me, but some have issues with it. The only real flaw I can give for this game is the surprisingly simple boss fights. Not that they are easy, but that they lack intellectual challenge, in that for the most part you just dodge the attack, then hit the glowing part. Which is a shame, because these bosses are some of the most unique visually I've ever faced, Bob Barbas being the most memorable boss I've faced in years. Now as far as combat goes, its more accessible and less complex than previous DMC games, and for me, that's perfect, but if your a die-hard DMC fan, you might have issue with it, claiming that this game has been dumbed down for noobs. More accessible doesn't mean its dumbed down, it just means that people with less dexterity can have fun. Point is, unless your a die-hard fan of the first 4, or just not a fan of hack n slash, then this game will definitely entertain. New Dante has all the **** and one liners of before, and since he has some actual scenes to be characterized, hes much more relate-able and likable, rather than a matrixy bad-ass whose too high above us for us to feel connected to him. Forget the fanboys bringing down the score, just read the reviews and see if you find anything you like Expand
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    Look whatever im gonna say isnt gonna change these crazy DMC fan's mind. Like im a fan of the old and new Dante, and i actually enjoy this new take but people dont seem to have the mind to be able to move on.. Heck i can even relate myself to this NEW dante. People are so fond of this fictional character and would even blow on an ACTUAL good game like this? People are hating on this cuz its too easy to get a SSS or no lock on or something, its a freaken hack and slash game, no matter what the purpose of that genre is for you to kill a bunch of pile of Need a challenge? Play Dante must die and feel satisfied but honestly this game deserves more .....10/10 Expand
  13. Feb 5, 2013
    DmC is like any reboot. It is only going to please the people who thought that the saga of games in question were getting: boring, dull and uninteresting. So Ninja Theory took the DMC franchise and added: Excellent voice acting, good animations, new added weapons and a well thought out story. at the expense of: FPS and a Little more basic combat style. Those who judge the game ENTIRELY on the fact that Dante has black hair and the western setting should be more open minded in my opinion.

I had a lot of fun with the game and I am a fan of the older ones and with the new Heaven and Hell and Hell or Hell difficulty modes it doesn't get too easy and it also adds quite a bit of replay value so you do get your money's worth. With the addition of the new 'Angel' and 'Demon' modes, the combat in the game it a lot more intuitive and flows more however later in the game some weapons start to become less useful and you end up not using them at all. The story and voice acting are top notch however be prepared for a little drama in the story. One of the biggest improvements however are the environments and boss battles. There are 20 missions in total and it took me about 7 9 hours to complete on my first playthrough. you spend almost all of the game in 'Limbo' a crazy and beautifully made environment with a nice color scheme and there is also a unique way the environment moves; the ground will break apart and the walls will crush together creating floating platforms where you can use your Angel and Demon abilities to grapple and pull yourself from place to place, this unique platforming mechanic does however get repetitive and sometimes kind of frustrating. The other thing that this game has done well are the boss battles. These are a joy to play, each one is unique and some are even original. the boss battles are designed perfectly however if they become to challenging, just restart the mission on a lower difficulty. e.g. My first playthrough was on Nephilum mode and at a certain boss i found it slightly difficult so i simply restarted the one mission on Devil Hunter mode and later I came back and finished it on Nephilum mode. I recommend buying the game on PC if you have all 3 platforms as on the PS3 and XBOX360 there is some texture pop-in in the cutscenes and, on PC it runs at 60 fps whereas on consoles it runs a a lower 30 fps. unless you look very closely at both side by side can you see a difference between PC and console. However if you only have a console then the game still looks great. DmC: Devil May Cry has: great story, great voice acting improved combat, fun and challenging bosses, great graphics, good music to accompany it all and well made, well textured, well colored, unique environments to experience it all in. It is defiantly worth buying at full price for newcomers and old school fans alike. (after you finish the game the first time, you unlock a white haired Dante costume/skin anyways so that should please some of the fans of the old DMC games).
  14. Jan 16, 2013
    I don't ever get hocked on Capcom games. Love Ninja theory games.Enslaved was my game of 2010. The two of mixed. Ninja with it's great story telling skills and Capcom's known knowledge on combat really makes this game a great reboot of the series. Won't be putting this game anytime soon. I see a lot of negativity towards the game on here. Your entitled to your own opinion's as am I.
  15. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME. I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off ! This is a great game! This is a fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys ! Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too ! Ninja Theory congrats!
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    Great game. Great visuals, fluid action, great mechanics, and yes, a challenge. Not a blind hater, I haven't played DmC since DMC3, and I didn't even finish that, not because of the challenge, I love the challenge games such as Demon and Dark Souls, but because plainly, the entire series was just stale and boring. With the announcement of this, the change of the story and main character, I had to see it for myself. I tried out the demo, and loved it, the boss battle was engaging and fun, and the new Dante is a trip. You can call him immature and juvenile if you want, that is your opinion. I find him quite funny and real, engaging. That being said, the game does have a few problems. The PS3 version runs well, but at times can run a bit choppy, I prefer the overall visuals on the PS3 to the 360, but I think in time a patch will come out to hopefully allow the PS3 version to run a little smoother. Verdict: Must buy game for those with an open mind, who actually like good games.

Rating: 9/10
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    The game is constructive and dynamic, truth to be a new release was very promising, emphasizing that this is not DMC or DMC3 DMC4 that those who try to compare only pure will say "bullshit" (I am a big fan of this series but I'm not going to get as a child and mourn ridiculous that followed my taste) Actually the game fun and I liked many aspects as some not so, the cinematics and well detailed graphics, the combo system is dynamic as for fans and non-fans, in my opinion, I think it is very good way to bring up again the name of Devil May Cry, because many of today do not know the previous games great titles, but never a game is not bad, but the bad thing is that there are many fans who are very ill. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    The combat is solid and fun. The environments are the best this generation. The story is solid, and the acting is great. Best Devil May Cry game. The changes that were made , in my opinion, make this game much better than the previous games. Don't believe the extremely low scores. Fans of the older games are score bombing this games like a bunch of brats.
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the goth-Dante loyalists! Every Devil May Cry fan should give this title a shot & then decide for themselves whether or not this entry deserves a place in the series.
    My opinion is yes. It may be very different looking than the Devil May Cry we all know and love on the outside but it still plays and feels like a DMC game. Graphics & Presentation(9/10)
    While I'm not a
    fan of the unreal engine since it mostly ruins facial expressions, I didn't find that too much of an issue. The character movements were fluid and the environment looked amazing. The level design is one of the best I've seen in any game and is extremely unique. There were a few dropped frames during some cut scenes but it wasn't anything to be upset over. The soundtrack was great too.

Gameplay:(10/10)
    This is where this title really stands out. The improved gameplay is fantastic. Some people will hate it because it's "too simple", but the truth of the matter is that it really isn't. You can instantly switch between 5 melee weapons and 3 projectile weapons and chain them together. Dodging also plays a big role in this game sometimes giving you bonuses like stronger hits after a dodge. Another thing I liked was that you could enable and disable moves and upgrades without any penalties. It helped me use Dante exactly how I wanted to use him and get rid of also those annoying moves I accidently set off that ruined my combos. I do miss some of the puzzle elements in the old DMC games but that's been replaced by mostly speed-based platforming which I enjoyed very much.

Story & Boss Battles: (8/10)
    While the story was on par with DMC3, I felt like the conclusion was missing something (which will probably be addressed in the upcoming DLC). The characters were great an voice acting was more than just good. The boss battles were a bit of a disappointment. The first battle was something you'd expect from a DMC game but the rest of the bosses were odd. The studio tried to make each one unique and cinematic, which did look good, but I didn't enjoy them as much as I did the bosses of DMC3 & 4. All in all... You should try this game even if it is to confirm that you hate it (Didn't we all play DMC 2?). It is a very good game and one of my favorite in the series so far (2nd favorite, nothing can dethrone DMC3). If you boycott this game you'll just be denying yourself a fun and great experience. I just want to say that change is good sometimes. If you love DMC3 so much why not just go play DMC3 again? Its pointless for the studio to keep making the EXACT SAME GAME OVER & OVER AGAIN and make us pay to play it, right?
  20. Jan 16, 2013
    DMC is a very solid action/hack n slash game...it's too bad there is a legion of butt hurt fun boys that can't accept change. They'd rather give 0's to a game they haven't played than enjoy it for what it is. A new Devil May Cry game rebooted. Well they can keep playing old white haired 80's rocking Dante if they want. I'm all for the new.
  21. Feb 4, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combat ensures that this is a distinguishable entry from Capcom's pure juggernaut. There are bouts of iffy platforming, rote boss battles and uninteresting character design, but these all pale under the immensely detailed world that has been bestowed. Beautiful, fresh and badass, Ninja Theory has reinvigorated Dante with a great action game to start the year off in style. Expand
  22. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore the user score for this game, it, like so many other decent games, has been artificially lowered by fan-boys and other individuals for a few very specific, very dumb reasons. First, the majority of these people are by and large fans of Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4, which are decent games. They ignore the fact that Devil May Cry 2 was terrible, and that Devil May Cry 4 was hardly innovative or interesting at all. Besides that, they are upset that this game is a reboot of a franchise they used to love. It's as simple as that. They make no claims to the quality of the game, and if they do, they are lying. Nobody in their right mind could possibly give this game a 0/10 score. It's not possible. At minimum, this game should be a 6/10. It's got quite a lot of good things about it, and my experience with it is a solid 9/10 experience. I've had a TON of fun, the combat is fluid, graphics are great, the humor is just stupid enough, and I feel it stays true to the Devil May Cry experience. I don't know where these other people are getting off on calling this game complete garbage. This game is pretty damn good, and is far superior to DMC2 or DMC4 in terms of level design, combat, and innovation. Some people are just too stubborn to enjoy themselves, I guess. Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore all of the negative reviews, they are simply trolls, people who've not played the game.
    I got the game yesterday and finished It in just over 11 hours, it's a great game, with a colourful cast of both characters and environments and a fun combat system with depth should you seek it.

Ninja Theory have taken a lot of criticism from old DMC fans upon taking on the franchise and
    they've done a sterling job, aside from a few technical hitches on the PS3 version (including iffy shadows and the occasional frame drops on busy cutscenes) it runs and looks phenomenal, the standouts include Chapter 13/14 and the final battles.

In comparison, I found DMC4 to be a sloppy, lazily put together mess with no originality and half of the content was repeated, a terrible game.
  24. Jan 19, 2013
    I think it's pretty friggin' ridiculous the negative backlash it's getting from people who NEVER even played the game in its entirety. DMC, is a great game. It may not be the same Devil May Cry we've grown up with over the years but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dante - in essence and personality is still true to his character. In fact the Dante this time around seems more realistic. The combat in DMC is pretty damn accessible, the gameplay was down to the tee of the original games. I think the overall thing that got me was the narrative. Devil May Cry 3 was probably my favourite Devil May Cry game, Vergil was such a great character and the calibration between both Dante and Vergil really hooked me. Without spoiling some of the key plot points let's just say the game in its entirety is an origin story. Everyone was wondering why Dante didn't have white hair and people bashed Ninja Theory for something so stupid. The reason being is because it's apart of the story. One would have to play through to truly enjoy. People can cast ill judgements upon the game, but all I gotta say as a fellow Devil May Cry fan and a gamer: You're missing out. Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    Stupid fans! They **** to much!!! its a great game on its own, awesome graphics, sweet smooth gameplay and a cooool story, the thing is that people NEVER will get used to the changes the world goes through, its really dumb, everybody has to understand that things change, if they liked the old franchise, then play those games and STFU! "If you want to make enemies... try to change something." -Adam Jensen Expand
  26. Jan 15, 2013
    An absolutely amazing game. The gameplay is fun (which is the only thing that matters in determining a game's quality), the soundtrack is dubstep (which is amazing, and if you don't like it, it's just something your pathetic mind can't fully undertstand or appreciate), I won't comment on the graphics since they don't matter at ALL (but I like the dark and gritty artstyle, which resembles my art that I post on deviantart), and the story is a wonderful social commentary that exposes the evils of society and the government. If you like gritty games, and you like accessible, fun gameplay, then this is the game for you. Expand
  27. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    Now normally I'm not one to write reviews of games that are only a day old. I just had to come and counteract this blind hate this game is receiving from over entitled "hardcore DMC fans." Now this game is no where near perfect and that's not what I'm trying to get across for this review. But all the 0 scores or pretty much anything 3 and below are all spouting the same nonsense that reviewers are being bought out to give this game good reviews. I want you guys to really think about this a second, if Capcom wanted to buy out reviewers for a massive AAA title like this, don't you think they would have done the same for Resident Evil 6, or Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City to guarantee good hype about the game. You guys are a broken record of already proven false conspiracy theories trying to turn as many people off to a new take on a new series because it doesn't fit in your otaku game collection. I didn't see a lot of complaining about Metroid Other M when that game did just about the same thing this game is doing aside from not being over the top. This is a good game; it has some things people will consider offensive, but that's part of its awkward charm. SSS ranks, sure are easy to obtain if you're good at dodging, but play this on Dante Must Die and see if you reap the same rewards. There's a lot of people going around saying that the enemy AI is exactly the same which is not true at all. The AI does improve drastically if you actually play between difficulties. Now my main gripe with the combat in this game, as it is very solid and easy to get into but also complex enough for fans of the past games like me. The thing that bugs me the MOST about the combat in this game is the lack of being able to lock on to enemies. Now for the most part the game auto locks on to whatever demon your pointing your stick towards or what you're looking at, but that removes one of the challenging aspects of DMC to begin with, having to juggle between manual locks was actually a fun part of the original series to me. But this issue is a personal one at best; I'm sure not everyone liked having to manually lock which is why most players played DMC4 on automatic and I'm sure Ninja Theory saw that. The only other thing that I didn't love about this game was the language; it sometimes got to be too much. This is NOT a DMC that can be played around your family or siblings if they are young. That was part of the charm of the original games; they were mature for different reasons other than language. But all in all after a real breakdown of this game I'm going to give it an 8/10. This is not a typical DMC, but this is still an excellent alternative until Capcom decides to continue the old series; I honestly hope there is room for both in the future and we see a DMC5 and a DmC2. Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2013
    Before i start i'd like to note that i am a huge DMC fan and have been one since it's inception in 2001.
    This game is no different! Dont listen to raging fanboys acting like children not giving this game a fair chance or review, because it's safe the say that this game is fantastic. 1. story and presentation It's the best looking, presented and grounded DMC to date. Dante feels like an
    actual person rather then a cliche anime pretty boy character. It's something as the series went on that DMC seemed to get confused and lost by. Dante this time around is a character that starts off carefree and flawed with lust but through out the game (with out spoiling) grows into the character and man he's supposed to be. Other then him Vergil is in the game and is final is a relatable character! Someone you can connect and have an emotional response to along side Dante. Kat is the new DMC girl and is not a busty girl with no character. Like Vergil she is someone you start to care for by the end of the game. With out spoiling the plot, it's definitely the most grounded DMC with the story more about character growth. My only complant about it is that it's cut short (like every game it seems now a day) and there are technical issues. Not in gameplay but some frame rate drops during cutscenes. Cutscenes which are gorgeous by the way! The mo cap that Ninja Theory is famous for is amazing! Dante feels, looks and acts like a real person with subtle to extreme animations. Any gamer that enjoys and appreciates art should pick up this game! It's hard to describe just how amazing the game looks! 2. Music and sound
    Like it or not the music is great! It fits the exact tone NT is going for. The music was composed by Noisia (electronic band) and Combichrist. (industrial band) They do a great job setting up the atmosphere and pumping you up for the battle at hand. I love the music in DMC and this one is no different! I didnt know how i felt about Noisia using dubstep but thats only a small portion of the music. They are so versatile that the music can fit into many genres (thats why i call them an electronic band not a dubstep band) from the soft strings in Kat's them, to The dubstep track for Mundas theme to the retro arcade song. Combichrist songs were used for the battle themes. I loved the metal with electronic synth which will build up as you gain your S ranking which also makes Dante faster as you yourself react faster. It's great when it's in effect and really pumps you up as your slaying demons! Other then that the sound effects are also amazing from the weapon, and creatures to the sound of limbo crushing the world. 3.Gameplay and value
    This is the area in which most fans (myself included) were scared about. in past ninja theory games, they proved that there game play had many issues and being quite shallow. However this time around with Capcoms ad thats not the case. The combat is different but similar and as smooth as ever! It's more approachable but just as hardcore as the last. I was surprised how smooth it ran on 30 fps (the pc version runs on 60 which looks fantastic) however slower then the past dmc games doesn't make the combat less or better but something fresh. The game is fun! and with many different difficulties and enemy re spawns should keep the player busy for a while. Things that caught my attention quick was the lack of lock on....it's not a major issue but when fighting multipul enemies it can get confusing. Also the game for me at least wasn't that challenging (comparing it the past dmc games) however i'm a huge dmc player and have SSS'd all the games on all difficulties and create combo videos on youtube so i do have that advantage over other players. Again it doesn't really take away from the experience but should be noted. 3. Conclusion
    This game had been getting a bad name from the online community with some people acting like children condemning what is a very fine work of art. Therefore what i ask the reader is to go into the game open minded with out judging a book by the cover. you will be surprised just how jaw dropping the game is. It's very artist, looks great, has great characters with some humor and above all else has fun silky smooth gameplay.
  30. Jan 16, 2013
    I've noticed people on this site attributing the 0 review scores to angry fan boys. I highly doubt that the bulk of those reviews are done by them. Take notice that most of those reviewers have not reviewed any other games or only 1 or 2 in the past, and have written short reviews which could be done in very little time. These are accounts created solely to lower the score of this game. Its called trade protectionism, and in this case its probably a very large company in the gaming industry contracting a small company to influence the way that people percieve this game. I've noticed Microsoft doing similar things in the past. If you don't believe me then I encourage you to spend some time on some of the gaming sites owned by CBS and Newscorp, and see how they report on Japanese game publishers and console makers. Metecritic should work harder to ensure credibiltiy on its website.

This is another great game developed by Nija Theory. Good action, good graphics, there's my review.
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    this is actually a fantastic game. don't let other people say differently. The gameplay and action are superb. The graphics are gorgeous and the only reason people are giving bad reviews are because Dante doesn't have white hair. i have read several dozen reviews on here saying that "the game would be fantastic if it wasn't called DMC" (they gave a rating of 0-1) and "the game is fantastic but its not the real Dante" (also a 0-1). The game is very fun and engaging and a joy to play. Fantastic game. Expand
  32. Jan 16, 2013
    Haters gonna hate. The game is awesome, i had to vote 10 because everyone is just trolling with 0-4 grades. It's a shame to all fans of Devil May Cry. Honest it's more then 8 but less then 9.1, if you are a fanboy and play with a mindset that the game is terrible, it will be.

Cons: easy on normal mode, normal on difficult and it's a devil may cry on son of sparda.
  33. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is great. Currently played through on normal difficulty and have to say the story progression and character integration is amazing. I was one of the first people on the hate train when they announced the new DmC would be a complete reboot, as having played DmC3 & 4, I was upset with the new Dante. After purchasing and playing the game I have completely changed my outlook. People who are upset over the change shouldn't affect your choice in purchasing this game. Expand
  34. Jan 23, 2013
    First, let me present my relevant history. I am a fan of the original Devil May Cry series, having bought and played the first one on the PS2, and have every installment to date. I am also a fan of Ninja Theory's previous titles having played and enjoyed 'Heavenly Sword' and 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West'. For my part I thoroughly enjoyed DmC, it is admittedly easier than its original predecessor but then so are most modern games, the combat remains intuitive, creative and entertaining. I found the story to be an improvement on previous titles, even if the ending was unfortunately something of a damp squib. Its use of modern circumstances are an interesting new take on demonic intervention in the affairs of man and it was more involved than 'random island, demon king trying to initiate the apocalypse (take my word for it), do much killing there please'; though I still enjoy the latter form of story. Also, I prefer the environments which are far broader and greater in variation, ranging from seaside piers to a modern office complex. Furthermore, the voice acting (asides from one notable instance) is greatly improved, contributing to the experience as does the effective use of motion capture technology. An initial run through will probably take around 7 and a half hours, however there are various secret missions to unlock within the game and I found myself compelled to play it over and over so as to unlock the various difficulty settings. In regard to what appears the single most divisive issue, the new Dante, I actually didn't mind him. I enjoyed his flippant, dead-pan one-liners and believed this version demonstrated stronger emotional connections with other characters than previous incarnations. In summary I enjoyed all aspects of this game and believe it to be more than worthy of the Devil May Cry series, even if it is noticeably easier than its original incarnation of 2001. I gladly recommend it to anyone with a general interest in the hack'n'slash genre and earnestly hope that a sequel is planned by Ninja Theory and Capcom, which, in my opinion, have proven themselves a formidable duo. Expand
  35. Jan 16, 2013
    Don't you find it funny that there are so many negative scores so soon after release? It's unlikely that these people have finished the game let alone even played it considering how vehemently they seem to hate it. This is the one time I'm gonna say trust the professional reviews over the reader ones. Hey I guess sometimes anally distressed fanboys can be worse that official publications who knew. Either way damn solid game; even to anyone with distaste for it It should be at least a six. When Kabuki Warriors has a higher user score; you know you're dealing with dishonest biased opinions. "Demon's we know your game." Expand
  36. Jan 16, 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tieDOOhiDiI a brief summary of what I thought of the game, this does not have any spoilers but does talk about stuff later in the game. Overall I enjoyed this game and I wish it wasn't being unfairly judged, the combat is streamlined which I think is an overall good thing
  37. Jan 16, 2013
    I personally love this game! I have been a fan of the franchise from the beginning and I honestly cannot understand the constant verbal bashing of this game, Ninja Theory or Capcom! It's an enjoyable game it plays well, it looks and sounds great It has a more of an in depth story than Anarchy reigns which you all probably voted to be fantastic getting (9.1 gamer reviews)!. I don't feel that game has ever made itself out to be it something that it's not. It still has all the "Devil May Cry" madness and weirdness about it. Remember people it's a REBOOT, remember and love the old DMC for what it was for it's time and give this new take on the franchise a chance by keeping an open mind! I say Well Done Ninja Theory and Capcom, I love It! Those that don't can just go back and play some more COD. Expand
  38. Jan 16, 2013
    There are only two types of negative reviewers for DMC: people who can't handle the content - and bots. This game has excellent gameplay, excellent narrative, great graphics. The combos are off the wall great and the controls are fluid. It's different from the other dmc games in terms of gameplay mechanics, but the meat and bones of it is still there.
  39. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay for DmC is amazing. It’s much easier now to keep a combo going and seeing as your ranking doesn’t keep on dropping (once you haven’t hit an enemy in a while but are still in combat) its not a bad thing, but obtaining those “SSS” rankings at the end of a mission still gives you a great sense of achievement and just further proves how awesome you are at this game. Enemies in the game do vary and honestly make you want to switch between every single weapon (in the majority of fights) to keep building your combo and just improve your overall skills in the game. Platforming is a major factor in DmC, and seeing as you have angel and demon powers, you do actually feel more like a powerful demon rather than in every previous Devil May Cry game. I love gilding through the air and on to platforms and avoiding enemies moves using the angel evade. The devil powers just make you feel like a powerful badass and you can easily destroy most enemies in the game just by using your devil powers (bar the ones that require angel abilities to be killed). Your primary weapons are Rebellion and Ivory (granted Ebony Ivory are the weakest weapons in the game and are pretty much useless). I rarely found myself using the primary weapons at any point after the second mission. DmC actually has a story that you can follow and its a pretty decent story for a hack slash game. I’m not going to spoil anything, but if you’ve played any Devil May Cry game before then the same old stands that Vergil is the main villain in the game and more or less always will be. That’s probably the one thing that “true Devil May Cry fans” will approve of. Its also a perfectly paced game and it never gives you one dull moment, you just power up through the first few levels, enjoy great platforming sections, good boss battles and then have some good cutscenes in between.

I honestly wasn’t looking forward to this game seeing how much of a disappointment Devil May Cry 4 was, but I ended up loving it and so far I have replayed it 6 times and have 1000G’d it and even though the levels eventually become the same old same old, I always had to go back and gather all the collectables and then completing the hardest difficulty in the game which is “Hell and Hell” mode. There are also 21 secret mission to be completed, some of them are challenging but honestly they just give you more value to the overall experience and replay value that you will get out of DmC. Needless to say, I can’t wait for Ninja Theory’s next instalment in this DmC reboot.
  40. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about darn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game. Now.
  41. Jan 25, 2013
    Fanboys need to cease an desist, because I can't take this drama any longer. This is a great game. It's very artistic, beautiful, and it's super fun. Please let's not judge a game because of the past. It's about the GAME.
  42. Jan 17, 2013
    C'Mon, boring and mediocre users at Metacritic. There's nothing wrong with the reboot of Devil May Cry. I saw it this morning on GameSpot and well...I agree what they are saying and critics definitely liked how the reboot inspires to the original DMC game in 2001. I played the demo and Capcom outdone themselves by recreating Dante and start to become a bad-ass all over the whole game. If you wanna give out negative feedback to fans, make sure you don't understand what you're talking about. DMC is one of the best reboots to kick start 2013 and if you don't believe me, wait till the reboot of Tomb Raider comes out. Expand
  43. Jan 18, 2013
    wow an amazing game, i really didnt expect it to be that great and was blown away. my expectations were really low and ive got to say its great. i loved the originals and havent seen a reason to hate on this one. so what if the character looks different? the new Lara croft looks different...i dont see people hating on that everywhere. I think people just jumped on the band wagon of hate for this game without even trying it. Expand
  44. Jan 26, 2013
    First things first: in terms of raw gameplay, this is the best of the series, hands down. For an action game, this is about as good as it gets, and the animation and style throughout are incredible. I've played all the DMC games, and let's not pretend like they're all classics...to be honest I only really loved the first one , but let's be honest, the storyline and characters have been terrible throughout the series. To me, it is shocking to see all the people whining on here about how the characters and story have been "ruined." You would have to have the emotional maturity of a brain damaged nine year old to have "fallen in love" with characters like that. Yes, I was kind of rolling my eyes at first with the new emo/goth/trailer park Dante, but in hindsight it makes his demeanor much more appropriate...other than that, he's pretty much the same. The one thing I will say is that the difficulty is much more reasonable than it was in past games, so I would venture to say most people should start on the hardest setting, and if you want it to be impossible, the really insane modes open up after you complete the game, as always. Expand
  45. Feb 17, 2013
    This user score actually defines the term" metabombed.'It's a joke for this game to have such a low score. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Actually the fact that it doesn't have a lock-on feature is wildly inexcusable. As some have complained, why have two evades when you can add a lock on? Honestly, I can't truly give this game anything more than an 8 because of this horrible oversight. I'm giving it a 10, though, to meagerly help this score. I don't want to get into the thick of the game because everyone has done that already. If you liked DmC, buy this. It's great. I went back and played 1-3 to see what all these true fans are talking about. I disagree. Yeah it's not as magical as 1 or 3, and the combos are a bit too easy to chain. The angel weapon is virtually useless, and it's extremely annoying to be mandated when to use them. The demon weapon, on the other hand, is pretty great. I wish there were a few more combos that can be done with individual weapons. The story is pretty interesting. The character development is definitely interesting. I can't wait to see what Ninja Theory offers for their next installment in this series. I frankly would get this game just to get Vergil's Downfall, which looks absolutely amazing. By that, what I really mean is that Vergil as a character looks to have incredible abilities. And for those who are complaining about his hair. Don't worry, you can change it to white after you beat the game. But c'mon, guys, really? Complaining this much about hair color? I wish they kept their original version of Dante (he looked a lot darker, more sinister). Expand
  46. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has given me faith in game development, but unfortunately will go down as another flop thanks to the millions who became rabid for really dumb reasons and now we have a yet another ruined gamed thanks to these idiots. Congratulations to those who complained and attacked this game for every single reason they could make up, you won, and now what is really an awesome game will suffer the fate of crappy ones and another wound to the gaming industry has been opened.
    Pros- enhanced graphics with chaotic and beautiful environments, fast combat with endless ways to string combos together, heavy music, improved story and characters, great platforming that adds a new dynamic, multiple difficulties, lots of secrets.
    Cons- upgrades could have a little more depth and variety, additional weapons to play around with would be nice, a few bad scripted lines but no biggie, again the story has actually improved, crappy fan base, gamers today like destroying awesome things resulting in bad business practices/ layoffs/ series being ended, developers leaving and then go and complain when those things happen.
  47. Mar 8, 2013
    The new Dante isn't THAT bad, the games looks, feels and sounds fantastic. The story is ok, but the game is incredibly fun. I did want to hate this too, but I loved it. One of the best games I've played in a while and highly recommended.
  48. Feb 24, 2013
    DMC is a great "new start" for Devil May Cry Series!
    The story is more mature, and tell the story of Dante's Family perfectly!
    And with the contents for DLC: "Vergil's Fall" and the "Tower of Battle", the "new and old" costumes for Dante and visual of his guns and swords too, the game gain more replay factor, hours of gameplay, and make happy the guys that dont like much this "new"
    Dante, and the guys who like, too!
    The music and art of this game, is a masterpiece! Great moments in all game!
    A fantastic experience for new players, and the more traditional fans of DMC series!
    Ninja Theory, and Capcom, congratulations for this game! And continue this partnership work!
  49. Jan 19, 2013
    I was very skeptical about DmC. Frankly, I was mostly ambivalent about the original titles and I thought the reboot concept was beneath Ninja Theory's taste-level. Rarely am I this happy to have been so wrong. I finally "get" the beauty of the original elements, while Ninja Theory busted their ass to take the existing themes and elevate them to a new level. Let me just say this - give this game an hour of your time and it will make you a believer. Give it another hour and it will make you a fan. Oh, and PS - Never before have I seen a game have to endure this level of trolling... criticisms of DmC are glaringly vague and stubbornly tired. Really? All of you bought the game on release day, played it through, and came to the conclusion that it sucked? Why do I find that so suspicious? How about you stop clutching your pearls over all the cosmetic changes and kiss Ninja Theory's ass for fixing your otherwise B Grade franchise. Expand
  50. Jan 17, 2013
    DMC 5 is the best dmc game ever.... stunning graphics... awesome gameplay.. great work ninja theory.. amazing level designing.... fine story...but still the best....game ever in the history of hack and slash games....
  51. Jan 17, 2013
    This is NOT a game for pure DmC fanboys, if you are one of em just stay away from it or you will end up kid-raging and giving it a 0 like most of the other kids are doing here. However if you are an open minded gamer and would like to try out one of the most polished and visually stunning hack n slack of the last years just go on and get it, you won't regret it.
  52. Jan 17, 2013
    I enjoyed this a game a lot. Being a hardcore dmc game since the first when the reboot was announced i was pissed. Then as time went on i saw the game play which stayed true to the old games while keeping it fresh. I gave it a try and it has some over the top action like in the old ones. I think that any old hardcore dmc fan would enjoy this alot if they just gave it a chance.
  53. Jan 17, 2013
    I told myself so many times that I'd hate this game for the longest time, and I 'knew' it would be horrible. However, by the time of Nov. 2012, I decided that I was, in fact, excited by a new DMC, and I preordered it (partially to get the amulet). Now, I played the demo so much that I actually rarely played the full games I did own. The game's story seems pretty good to me, because I honestly don't care if something is cliched, so long as it works, and I personally enjoyed the story. Now, to the points of my review:

1. Dante, and the other characters, received as much, if not more, character development in this one game than they did through the entirety of the other four games. Don't get me wrong, I will always love the original four, especially DMC3, but this one did a great job developing characters.

2. The combat was much better. I was never incredible at the other Devil May Cry games, honestly just because I never have been good at pulling off complex combos (like in fighting games and such), so this one made me feel like I was incredible at the game, and I've even begun learning how to do some very complex combos too. More accessible.

3. No backtracking.

4. Darker. The setting befit a game centered around half demons and a world overrun by Hell.

5. The soundtrack. I absolutely loved the soundtrack to this game.

My only gripe is the length, I wish it took me longer than ten hours to beat.
  54. Jan 17, 2013
    It makes me sad to see that this game is being Metabombed for all the wrong reasons. First, this game is fantastic. The new story is more believable and much less Japanese. The action is fun, fast, and challenging (though not too difficult). The environments are imaginative and the stages are fun to play.

What you need to understand is that this game is a reboot. That means it has
    little in common with its predecessors. If you're a fan of the old DMC, you have 4 great games you can play. If DMC always seemed a bit odd or difficult, this is the one you'll want. Ninja Theory has done a great job keeping the combat accessible while retaining depth. If you want to just mash your way through big fights, you can do that (assuming you're on easy). If you want to do insane, spectacular customized combos, you can do that too. Fans of the series have been in an uproar ever since seeing new Dante doesn't have white hair. Now they're mad that the new game isn't soul-crushingly difficult. So they come on Metacritic and try their best to destroy this game. If you compare this game to other games in the DMC franchise, its very different. If you compare this game to other games in general, it stands well above most. Listen to the critics, not the haters. Expand
  55. Jan 17, 2013
    Soooo many cry babies. It's interesting how many people can't grow up and try something new. I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Allow us to look at Devil May Cry's history.
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming
    Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming

Devil May Cry 4 - Aka MGS2 or Halo 2.

DmC is a very good game. Best story in the series where the story is almost nonexistent. Gameplay is better than Devil May Cry 1,2, and 4. Unfortunately it's the Unreal Engine, but for the Unreal Engine it's actually pretty nice. Dante's look is fine. I was tired of the Sephiroth/Raiden-esqe look that Dante had. New Dante doesn't smoke cigs and unlike the first Dante who doesn't get it in with females or it's assumed, New Dante gets it in before the game started. Awesome. Game is good. Give it a shot. 2nd best game in the series in my opinion. Devil May Cry 3 is definitely number 1. DmC is number two on the list. Stop crying.
  56. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is a very stylish game, with unique combos, and an amazing combat system. The new DMC is simply better than the rest, because the setting is much more likable, and the graphics are very stylish and likable as well. Three good words that can describe this game is stylish, badass, and sexy.
  57. Jan 18, 2013
    it just amazing game with considering that change date appearance but still quite beautiful
  58. Jan 19, 2013
    The reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. They were so unsure about adding Nero into the series, so they decided to keep Dante in the game so the fans will outgrow the Nero situation. They handed it over to Ninja Theory instead of being hesitant, they put someone else to take the blame. Ninja Theory decided to reboot the series, make a clearer backstory even if it's corny(Everybody is. Suck it up, people.)

Konami have already done this. Look at Silent Hill, Without KCET(Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo) & Akira Yamaoka, it will never be Silent Hill again.

Squaresoft/SQUARE-ENX have already done this, too: Final Fantasy, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu & **** Amano(Yes, did you notice the BG Signature logo of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy: Flying Brigade & Final Fantasy: All The Bravest? **** Amano doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.) Final Fantasy will never be awesome.

Graphics? It's never been about the graphics. If you want it to be about the graphics then wait for the Windows PC version, maximize your settings just to calm down your AA OCD.

I gave it a 10. Why? I love Devil May Cry. Giving it a low score is like giving a middle finger to the entire Devil May Cry franchise. If you feel that this franchise is dying, stop being a hypocrite-- I KNOW YOU'LL PLAY THE NEXT ONE then post something negative about it.
  59. Jan 20, 2013
    Don't list to most of the trolls on here- DmC is a fantastic game. It's right up there with Devil May Cry 1 and 3 - and is arguably better in some regards (the story is more coherent and the writing/voice acting is FAR better). The only complaint I could see people having is that the initially available difficulty modes are a bit easy for the franchise- but hardcore modes open up once you've completed the story once. All in all, great game that is only getting bashed by fanboys who are sour that Dante has a hair cut like a human punk instead of a cartoony anime character Expand
  60. Jan 21, 2013
    This game is a great entry in the series. I am a veteran of the DMC series and DmC does not disappoint. If you haven't tried this game for yourself, give it a shot and don't let the negative reviews spook you. Most hate directed towards this game is from Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise, not the game itself. It has all of the modes, replayability and difficulty (on higher levels) of the previous games. I loved the art style and the way the story was presented as well. It's worth playing. Get to it' Expand
  61. Jan 22, 2013
    As an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. I liked the character and felt it was a great reboot of the franchise. A younger Dante will attract younger games as many people like myself who were teenagers when the first game came out are now in our late twenties and sadly are no longer the target market for the franchise. I do think it is extremely interesting the difference between used scores and critic scores. I am sure if this game had been the very first game of the franchise it would have been loved but fans hate it when their favourite characters are messed with. Personally i think those of the younger generation will love this game alot more than those of us who have grown up with the white haired dante for many years. I did not like the mention of the word nephilim and am sure it was even misspelled. A nephilim is actually a child of an angel and a human not a demon and a human so that was actually wrong. I would have given this game a 9 out of 10 but as i can see it only has a 4 in 558 rating which is totally wrong i am inclined to give it a 10. I must say that the people marking this game down really need to relax and enjoy a good attempt to reboot an amazing franchise. Expand
  62. Jan 23, 2013
    I'm trying to even up the scores a bit here cause this game doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I can promise you that if this game had a different name it would have so much more praise. The game is fun but people just don't like change they want the characters to stay the same and the game play to not evolve. I don't like the new Dante as much as the old one but that doesn't mean the game is automatically bad. Try it out and stop acting like **** who want everything their own way, not even caring about how much time and effort Ninja Theory put into the game to create their own take on the DmC universe. Expand
  63. Jan 24, 2013
    I dont usually write on reviews. But I can't take this too much hate for DMC. This game is GREAT! It's a REBOOT for God's sake! Stop being FANBOYS be open for change :) . If you dont play this. You will miss half of your life! ;)
  64. Feb 3, 2013
    If you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit more casual, the scenarios are amazing and the overall presentation of the game is great. To be honest, I was a great DmC fan, I finished all three first of them, but the fourth one, even tho it was amazingly well done, it was boring to the point that I just stopped playing it near the end, this one has a fresh story, characters and background, it makes you feel like its an evolution of the game rather than just another chapter. Expand
  65. Feb 12, 2013
    I wasn't too sure who to believe at first, the actual game review sites or the yuppies who cant appreciate a new take on a modern classic. I've played all the DMC games and I feel like Dante hasn't changed at all other than a few extra swears and a new adolescent attitude. And please people get over the cosmetics and give Ninja Theory some credit for taking on such a task in rebooting a franchise with such fan loyalty and doing a great job modernizing and relating the game to some popular current issues Devil May Cry. As for the game itself, great combat and environments. It is very much like the old Devil May Cry games with rounded edges instead of square, if you know what i mean. If you haven't noticed all games today have taken the route of being more "accessible" or easier for new gamers; and how I remedy that is just up the difficulty and if you still don't like it quit playing and buy the Devil May Cry collection and play the old ones. Great game by a great developer, best thing Capcom has done for itself in quite awhile. Congrats to Ninja Theory and cant wait to see the next DmC game. Expand
  66. Feb 19, 2013
    I just finished the game and i found it amazing Don't hate it because they change the character or anything else of course they will it is a reboot. The studio made a great game and they certainly don't deserve an average score of 4.1 This game at least deserves an 8.5
  67. Feb 9, 2013
    Wow, there's a lot of people hating on the game, calling BETRAYAL and stuff. To me DMC 4 was an awful installment of the series. And it was obvious, that they need to do something different with next DMC. They did! And OMG its a great game. I love the Dante character. His jokes were top notch and i've found his one-liners awesome. I love the turn the game makes in story department, cause, lets be serious, DMC franchise doesent made any sense. While this one is an awesome start for new DMC. Expand
  68. Jan 27, 2013
    I think this game is not for the hard core fan. I never played any DMC games before this one. I feel like most of the reviews that are bad on here are from the hardcore fans that don't like the changes. So far I am loving it. I am about halfway through from what i can tell, so keep that in mind, but the game play is fun, the fighting is only as stale as you make it, and the story so far is really well done. It FEELS like its building up to something really good, and every level seems like its epic in it own way. If there is a huge let down, or something charges, ill change my score. So far though really loving the game. Expand
  69. Jan 26, 2013
    I loved dmc devil may cry. The story is alot better then previous games simply because the was more depth. In previous games characters just pop up out of nowhere, just like vergil did in dmc3. Dmc4 had nero. As awesome as he was, he also popped up out of nowhere. This dmc gave structure to dante. He was pretty much an orphan and in the game discovers his true identity. He discovers that he has a twin (Vergil) and that his mother and father were angel and demon. So discover he is a hybrid (nephilim).
    The game's story is also about the corrupted world and how banks and energy companies control humans. This is much like the real conspiracy which I liked about the game.
    Yes people complained about Dante not having white hair. Well he is a young Dante so he is yet to discover his true potential.
    The combat is fast and smooth. Only thing I miss in the version is the stylish gun play and the running up walls etc.

This is a great game and people who moan about this game are the ones who just love to moan.
  70. Feb 9, 2013
    This is an excelent reboot for the series. The combat is fun and recognizable so its not trying to be a whole new game which is good. The voice acting is great all around but most importantly the story. We get to see dante right as he learns who he is and that he has a brother. We see what starts there feud and get an understanding of there parents and background. Theresmore platforming than id like but this is a great way to restart the series. No goofy overly cheesy crap that the original team was starting to do giving the game a great feel. I have nothing to complain about. It all flows so well. This game was great under ninja theory Expand
  71. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  72. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The story is quite intriguing, mature, gritty, dark and forms a perfect prequel for DMC3. Yeah I know it's a reboot but it just fits perfectly together.
    Profanity is there, but there are also some moments in there that made me feel angry like Dante and sad or completely ''WTF?!''-ed like Dante.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very
    good voice acting. And there IS humor. And the white wig joke was hilarious. Offending?! Seriously?! Nah...
    Soundtrack is BRUTAL and it doesn't make my ears bleed like in MGR:Revengeance, but that's just different taste in music. And I feel bad for NOISIA that the haters think that dubstep is only Skrillex.
    And you don't have the same battle song playing over again, and again, and again like in DMC3 4. Because sometimes I would stop playing, and play games with a better soundtrack DMC3 did have best ost material, but for me it was overshadowed by ''poser industrial techno metal''). Now we have Combichrist!
    Combat is fluid, smooth and has the old school DMC flare. It does lack an amount of extra moves which really is a bummer. And I didn't had any problem with DT. And there are always ways to play stylish instead of using trinity smash. Hell, DMC3 had DT Flux for Instant SSS. Vergil could be your with Royalguard. Forgotten about that huh? Combos can be linked with each other much more faster and smoother.
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    Difficulty could be kicked up a little bit, but you've always got SOS, DMD, HOH, HAH, Vergil's Downfall Bloody Palace for more replay value.
    The 30fps is really noticeable when you play with A/V cables on PS3, but on HDMI it's smooth like butter.
    I still think that the majority of the haters are still the ones who were extremely pissed at all those trailers. And didn't play this game with an open mind and still got their Nostalgic Goggles on while whining about everything. Saying that everyone should buy 4 HD Collection.
    DMC4 is superior in gameplay, but felt extremely rushed and was rushed. Bland anime story, hideous soundtrack( except for the song you hear during the Goddess Statue the 2nd half and Nero. I haven't touched it ever since I've got DmC. But hey...the haters got their way. This game didn't sell very well.
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    If DmC had the lock-on for extra input commands...DmC would be on par with DMC3 for real. Maybe even beat it.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees
  73. Jan 18, 2013
    So yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've entered True Style Tournament twice.
    (if you dont know what TST is you are not a hardcore fan) I was curious on Ninja Theory's take on my beloved series and i saw the first artworks of Dante i was shocked and mad at NT for defiling DMC like that but after they changed Dante into what he is now in the actual game he kind of grew on me. Looking back now he actually looks less emo now than he did in dmc3 (where he had this screamo band leadsinger haircut only in white) Regarding his attitude i dont see a real difference, Dante has always been snappy, cracking cheesy 1 liners occasionally, he is just a little more hostile now, feeling lost in this crazy world not knowing why he has super powers, where he belongs or what he really is.
    It fits the character design very well. He evolves during the course of the story and becomes more concious and caring towards the end. Ok now that i've made my point about the design lets talk about the actual game itself.
    First the Level Design is just brilliant. I've never seen anything like it before in any videogames. The levels constantly change and shift as dante goes in and out of limbo, its just pure genius and deserves the uttmost respect for the level designers.
    The soundtrack is also great with combichrist's massive riffs pushing you forward and it also feels like they stayed true to the old games mixing in electronic drumloops and modern cuts (seriously check out Pull the Pin its just awesome), while noisia provide dark and grimey ambient bits that just feel on point wherever they are used.
    The Story of the game is predictable and kinda stolen from They Live but i dont mind too much. It has been a while since i've played a video game with an original story and also the succubus and virility has clearly been ripped from Futurama (Slurm anyone?), but hey the stories of the old dmc games or even the anime just feel stupid compared to this one. It's like preferring Tim Burton's Batman Movies to The Dark Knight Trilogy. The old ones (though being good at the time) just dont hold up anymore.
    The Combat and the Platforming is where this game really shines. As I've said before, i know DMC combat mechanics like the back of my hand but the fluidity and the simplicity of this game's combat are really exceptional. Yes they have been dumbed down in a way but its for the better. It looks great and plays even better. Juggling enemies, jump cancelling and mixing combos to raise the Style meter has never felt this good. From a professional POV I'd say the Skillcap is much lower than in previous entries but the score system transparency makes up for it. I can work on perfect runs in Hell and Hell Mode because honestly Dante Must Die is too easy for me. It will keep me going even now that i have the Platinum bagged. The platforming also gives you room to breathe and time for your fingers to relax it provides a break from the action and allowes you to marvel at the level design and the animations.
    Ninja Theory have done a remarkable job in reviving the dmc series. They created a character that is more grounded in the real world, a soundtrack that keeps you pumped and motivated, a combat system that makes it easier for newcomers to get into while still giving the pros something to practice and perfect. Go play this game, dont listen to the butthurt fanbois who are stuck in the past for all the wrong reasons. They are just copypasting youtube comments and rating this game a "0" because the main character's hair is not white anymore. Seriously sometimes im ashamed to call myself a gamer seeing how immature and stupid some people here are.

I rate this game a 9/10.
  74. Jan 20, 2013
    Whatever your stance on rebooting the series, DmC is a great game built to respect the core of the original series.

Travel back a few months ago and you
  75. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  76. Feb 8, 2013
    It is such a shame that this game has not been judged in it's own right. What is even more of a shame is that bitter fans are trying to trick newcomers into avoiding the game by giving it ridiculously low scores.

The game is not without fault- I agree that the combat is certainly more simplified than previous iterations and the lack of target lock-on can frustrate, but neither of
    these elements are anywhere near as detrimental to the experience as angry fans would have you believe.

Dante's arsenal is varied enough to allow finesse, without feeling overwhelming. The angel weapons feel slick and fluid while their demonic counterparts are weighty and impactful The platforming elements are for the most part intuitive and smooth, while allowing for a more leisurely viewing of the game's incredibly creative environments, without bringing the pace to a grinding halt.

The characters are well rounded and engaging and the acting is great. The playful and often humorous approach to the world does not detract from the more serious moments of the game, and Ninja Theory have managed to make a story involving nephilims and limbo feel relatable and current.
  77. Mar 9, 2013
    A good hack and slash game that is in my opinion, better than Dmc4. The combat and story is great, and even though Dante isn't as cool as he was before, this version of him is much more human. Although, they did antagonise old Devil May Cry fans in the beginning, which is frankly quite a bad creative decision.
  78. Feb 27, 2013
    Haters gonna hate This game is awesome!!!
  79. Mar 6, 2013
    Personally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pull and angel lift weapons. You're never bored, because all enemies are affected by different weapons and different methods which means you can't just press a mashup of buttons all the time.

Pros: Dig the new half angel, half demon Dante, AND sympathetic, fun, love all the weapons (although some could be put to use more) Bosses, although easy, are some of the most visually impressive and memorable I've ever faced. I'm a longtime of Combichrist so I definitely dig the soundtrack. Cons: The godforsaken camera. During combat the camera decides to flip off to the oddest angle it can find and proves annoying in the most crucial moments. Lock-on would definitely help. You get thrown in a room of like 20 demons, and it auto aims all over the place. Just lovely. Another one: Too short. Other: Because some enemies are only affected by either Angel or Demon weapons, it renders the variety of your weapons useless. If I'm facing a frosted knight, I can pretty much only use either Osiris or Aquila, which throws all the possible combos out of the window really. They could improve it by emphasizing more on tactic to kill rather than angel or demon weapons. Conclusion: Don't listen to these negative reviews. Most of them are unfair as hell and biased. I'd bet my arm half of them hasn't even attempted to get past a couple missions. I had a blast playing it, and I'm still getting a kick out it replaying it. Demons, metal, and Combichrist, what more can a girl ask for?? 9 OUT OF EFFING 10. THANK YOU NINJA THEORY FOR THE REBOOT.
  80. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doors that were missed the first two times. Don't understand why so many people hate this game. Expand
  81. Mar 13, 2013
    Talk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, and the carachters interesting and engaging. The action was great, and was very fluid overall. Not quite as good as 3, but slighly better than the vastly underrated 4, DMC is a smash. 2nd best DMC overall. Expand
  82. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  83. Jan 22, 2013
    Great game, with a ton of character. The action is fast and frenzied while remaining more accessible than previous games. The reboot of Dante is great with many throwbacks to his old look and an ending that is transforming him into his older self. Overall a must play.
  84. Feb 8, 2013
    Where to start hmm ok DMC fan from day 1 dmc 3 being the epitome of this genre along with Bayonetta, with nothing ever coming even close. i'd give this game 8.8 10 ,I was pissed with the new dante but turns out he's fine and his voice acting is better handled. Vergil on the other hand was just one of my fav. characters ever and they kinda made him lame so as far as art direction goes this game is weird yet awesome, graphics are very polished (though not a fan of unreal engine But this really really depends on how well you know ninja theory, this is very easily described as 70% dmc and 30 heavenly sword but only the pros came along from HS. TBH DMC 4 sucked imho and this is miles better but still cant come close to Dante's awakening, Nevertheless kudos to ninja theory they freaking put eth they had into this and it paid off and more importantly it shows, i still have to say they should have definitly made Dante's movements more fluid and put a trigger system. i feel for the bashers but seriously meta bombing to a 4.0 is just cruel Expand
  85. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people coming into the series (counting this view) the story is quite solid, with both likeable, creative and understandable antagonists. Expand
  86. Feb 15, 2013
    I'm currently just past half-way [chapter 11 of 18] through my first playthrough of the game, which I started on Nephilim, as someone familiar with Melee Combat/Hack-n-Slash games like Bayonetta and DMC4. I was hungry for a good hack-n-slash melee combat game after struggling to enjoy Darksiders [meh!] a third time after 2 game breaking glitches! [superMEH!]. give me a break! It was a relief to find a game with deep, fluid combat. While not quite reaching Bayonetta levels of combat, it does a fairly good job of reaching the height of DMC 4 (only DMC I played, which I totally enjoyed) in terms of combat. Gameplay advances like the ability to control the camera make for a much improved experience. Control scheme is a little convoluted, but you eventually get used to switching between angel, devil and regular modes. It's does seem tough to work in combat variety [style points!] for specific angel or devil enemies.. tho i suppose switching weapons helps a bit there. the graphics are pretty fantastic, and the environments are very cool.. much better than previous generations of this franchise. I was honestly dying for a game with fluid, engaging melee combat, and this game has it in spades. Using Angel Demon pulls to zip around the environments and slay baddies stylishly feels very cool. I find myself wanting to go back into the game when I'm at work, and I surprisingly put in over 10 hours in my first two days.. which is more than I'd usually commit. I'm excited to unlock everything and then start the harder, remixed unlocked modes.. so that should give you an idea of how i'm feeling about the game overall. There's been alot of hate for this game. I guess people just want the same game over and over. shame that, I think Ninja Theory has done a very respectable job of modernizing and 'rebooting' the DMC series. I'll weigh in again once i've completed the full game at least once, but so far, it's scratching the itch I had for good, deep melee combat. Definitely worth a try, regardless of the haters, if you like that sort of thing. Expand
  87. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  88. Mar 6, 2014
    I have never play a Devil May Cry game before, so for me is the first one, and is an excellent game, fast pace, good combos, great graphics and visual effects, good story, remind me a lot Bayonetta, is a game for a certain type of player, if you like hack and smash you will love DMC, and please don't give bad notes just because dante don't looks like you want
  89. Jan 23, 2013
    The game is awesome, is a different beast from the old DMC and is a good thing, I really enjoined DMC1, 2 and even 4 but I always find Dante quite a lame '80 hair metal dude, this new style is a different kind of lame, with style. Emo Gothic **** a part is a great game with a great story, great combo, awesome different plays style from the newbie to the **** hole hardcore perfectionist.
  90. Jan 22, 2013
    I am another lifer as far as the series goes. As many people I didn't have a lot of love for 2 and unlike many people I got a lot of enjoyment out of 4. I am not sure how many of these reviews are legit, but this game is quite well designed. You may not love it but there is no way it is 4. I personally had a blast with this game even when I expected not to. I am very pleased with what Ninja Theory has pulled off in this game. The environments and weapon switching during combat are especially enjoyable and polished. Expand
  91. Mar 5, 2013
    Any reasonable person with a fully functioning brain can see that this is a masterclass in how to do a reboot. The story, the characters, and most importantly, the gameplay have been revamped and updated for a more intelligent audience. I'm a big fan of the previous games especially DMC3, but this game really brings the series into the modern world, both in terms of story and in gameplay.

With just 2 trophies to go I've spent close to 50 hours on this game. Buy it.
  92. Jan 25, 2014
    Very cool art style. Just so different from anything out there. Really fun controls. Makes it fun and easy to do badass combos. Story is cool and characters are fun. The game is just fun. Really enjoyed its irreverent style. Great time
  93. Jan 22, 2013
    I have no clue how any fan of the DmC series would not love this game. For me, it is by far my favorite and for those who don't like "emo" Dante grow up. He isn't "emo" by any standards and I think his personality is far better than the previous Dante. GAMEPLAY -Two words. Top notch. Switching between the various weapons takes a little getting used to but overall its a great system with endless combos. I would say the combat is up to par with the previous entries in the series but I do think that getting high ranking combo's is much easier than I remember. However, getting those "SSS" style combos makes you feel like a bad ass.

STORY - By far the best story in the series. I was actually engaged and interested throughout the game. The relationship between Dante and Virgil is a nice change of pace from previous games. The comedic relief and witty remarks are up to par with the series as well. OVERALL - Great game. Don't listen to those reviews of people who don't like the "Emo" Dante or think it's too easy. Have they tried Hell and Hell or Dante Must Die difficulties? Listen to someone who has actually played the game, unlike most of the others on here.
  94. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the
    controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  95. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one
    of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  96. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with barely any flaws. Anybody who dislikes the game because of the previous games is just sad. They needed this and it worked out perfectly. Amazing graphics, incredible gameplay, awesome story, great music.. I just dont see the "bad" people are talking about.

See the thing is, if this game wasnt called "DmC", it would be one of the best games most of these people have
    ever played. But because they rebooted the DmC franchise, you losers are going crazy. Look at that. 561 dislikes? Thats pathetic. This game deserves the high ratings and the praise. I hate that this game gets looked down on because a bunch of losers cant handle the fact that they rebooted the franchise. Get over it, and heres to hoping you didnt ruin the chance of them making DmC 2 cause i am actually looking forward to playing that masterpiece. Expand
  97. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is actually amazing. I do miss the snarky playful attitude of the old Donte but this reboot is an new origin story that is surprisingly rich and I can see our new protagonist growing into the role of the snarky proud and powerful role that we so loved in the Third game (in time). Spoiler waring. By the end of the game Donte's hair is white and Vergil becomes a nemesis true to form, so stop your **** There is actually alot of potential with this new story and I hope to see more of it in the future. Sure the plot could have used a bit of cheesy, over the top moments that Hideki Kamiya is so known for. However that could be easily remedied in a sequel. Basically what I'm saying is that this reboot is not as much of a betrayal as the raving fanboys claim it is. Story aside, the combat and game play of DMC is at the top of it's form and I personally find it better then even the previous titles. My only real complaint is that the "Human" and "Devil Hunter" difficulty's are too easy. However the game is extremely replayable and with difficulty's like "Son of Sparda", "Dante Must Die" and "Heaven or Hell" there is not reason to worry about it to casuals because there is plenty to offer to even seasoned veterans of the series. This entry into the series is not as memorable as Devil May Cry 3 but it's defiantly more fun then any of the other games in the series. Next to Dark Souls this has to be currently one of my favorite games too play. Expand
  98. Feb 4, 2013
    I love this game! My full review is on the 360 version but I have played this one as well. Don't buy into what people are saying on this site with all the negative. I mean, I can show you a game worth a 1 or 2or 3 or 4, ever play vampire rain? Now that's a bad game. This game is leaps and bounds above anything like that. My two favorite DMC games are now this one and DMC3. Action fans should definitely check it out. Expand
  99. Jan 24, 2013
    An awesome reboot for mature audience. All I can say. It's a shame that such a great masterpiece is drowning under fake unfavourable rates and reviews, written by wacko "fanboys", who still cry about "Old anime retarded douchebag with affected pathos", and don't want to accept new, stylish punk. Such "persons" even don't know differences between emo and hipster cultures to start with. And they cry about things they even don't understand correctly. Expand
  100. Jan 26, 2013
    I'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out for yourself whether or not it's worthy of the unfavorable user score. My rating: 10 :P Expand
  101. May 14, 2013

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.