5.2

1. Jan 19, 2013
    A friend sent this game to me after telling me bad it was, just to see for myself, and wow just wow, what was capcom thinking allowing Ninja theory to develop this game, they completely ruined the main character and his personality and made him in to some edgy little teenager designed to appeal to a more or less homosexual demographic and people who have not played nor care about the original Devil may cry.

This game was no devil may cry, it may have had the same name but it was so far from the original Dante and gameplay.

I really do hope that if capcom decide to make a real devil may cry, they give it to developers who actually liked the original series, it was very clear Ninja Theory absolutely hated Devil may cry and being the self righteous **** they are decided to say **** YOU to the fans and create the horrible piece of **** known as dmc 5 instead.

Poor narrative, poor gameplay, poor everything.

Video games need to be held to a higher standard, not this piss poor excuse for a game.

DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME

I REPEAT

DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME!!!

And here is hoping for a real DMC in the future!
  2. Jan 19, 2013
    Stupid game with stupid plot whet medium gameplay and graphics of 2009 and poor characters design that only 9 years old will think it's cool, the whole game just cursing just because the developers think it is cool
    The game is so easy you can finish it on the hardest level only continuing to press the same button, it truly a **** game
  3. Jan 20, 2013
    - Main char looks like douche
    -Too easy to make SSS rating
    - Many weapons, all (except 3-4) useless
    -Bosses are too ez to beat
    + Stages looks pretty
    Good game for casual , not for fan series of DMC or looking for some challenge
    The King is dead. Long live the merchandise.
  4. Jan 20, 2013
    Plain horrible. The characters are annoying. The story is full of plotholes. The dialogues are rude, childish and uneducated. This is an insult to you: this game is telling you that you are barely a beat that can only think about sex, booze and swearing. Every one that like this game should really talk with a specialist: if you start your rehabilitation soon, you mave have some chances to became a human with a brain. Expand
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    DmC is like any reboot. It is only going to please the people who thought that the saga of games in question were getting: boring, dull and uninteresting. So Ninja Theory took the DMC franchise and added: Excellent voice acting, good animations, new added weapons and a well thought out story. at the expense of: FPS and a Little more basic combat style. Those who judge the game ENTIRELY on the fact that Dante has black hair and the western setting should be more open minded in my opinion.

I had a lot of fun with the game and I am a fan of the older ones and with the new Heaven and Hell and Hell or Hell difficulty modes it doesn't get too easy and it also adds quite a bit of replay value so you do get your money's worth. With the addition of the new 'Angel' and 'Demon' modes, the combat in the game it a lot more intuitive and flows more however later in the game some weapons start to become less useful and you end up not using them at all. The story and voice acting are top notch however be prepared for a little drama in the story. One of the biggest improvements however are the environments and boss battles. There are 20 missions in total and it took me about 7 9 hours to complete on my first playthrough. you spend almost all of the game in 'Limbo' a crazy and beautifully made environment with a nice color scheme and there is also a unique way the environment moves; the ground will break apart and the walls will crush together creating floating platforms where you can use your Angel and Demon abilities to grapple and pull yourself from place to place, this unique platforming mechanic does however get repetitive and sometimes kind of frustrating. The other thing that this game has done well are the boss battles. These are a joy to play, each one is unique and some are even original. the boss battles are designed perfectly however if they become to challenging, just restart the mission on a lower difficulty. e.g. My first playthrough was on Nephilum mode and at a certain boss i found it slightly difficult so i simply restarted the one mission on Devil Hunter mode and later I came back and finished it on Nephilum mode. I recommend buying the game on PC if you have all 3 platforms as on the PS3 and XBOX360 there is some texture pop-in in the cutscenes and, on PC it runs at 60 fps whereas on consoles it runs a a lower 30 fps. unless you look very closely at both side by side can you see a difference between PC and console. However if you only have a console then the game still looks great. DmC: Devil May Cry has: great story, great voice acting improved combat, fun and challenging bosses, great graphics, good music to accompany it all and well made, well textured, well colored, unique environments to experience it all in. It is defiantly worth buying at full price for newcomers and old school fans alike. (after you finish the game the first time, you unlock a white haired Dante costume/skin anyways so that should please some of the fans of the old DMC games).
  6. Jan 16, 2013
    The original Devil May Cry series is known for single-handedly inventing the modern action genre. Without it none of the current blockbuster series like God of War would exist. These games can be summed up with two things: Stylish, skill based combat and a great narrative with movie quality cutscenes and over the top cool characters.
    You won't find any of that in DmC. But let's start with
    the rare high notes:
    The art design of the levels, especially the limbo world, is beautiful to look at and makes room for great and creative level design, which is accomplished almost 100% of the time. Graphics are well done thanks to the unreal engine, but some muddy textures snuck their way in here and there. Lighting is horrible at times, especially on the character models, which themselves look out of place and seem to have rubberish, clayish skin outside of pre-rendered cutscenes - a shame.
    On the first glimpse the combat system is fluent and fun, but fans of the franchise will soon notice that it has been dumbed down drastically. Instead of using different moves and combos to get a high style meter, the same thing can be achieved by just mashing one button. The depth of combat has gone. Boss battles are neat to look at and could/should have been the highlight of the game, but when you get down to it the most boring part of it, as there is no challenge to be found here, other than memorizing a few patterns.
    The most annoying part is that the narrative doesn't even encourage you to stick with it until the enividable "twist" at the end, which everybody knows it coming right from the start. All the dialoge is heinously written, with all it being just a race to the next swear word, which makes all characters, but especially the lead, Dante, just a bunch of unrelatable jerks. And if you don't root for your hero there is no point in playing the game. Summery: Coded by professionals, written by infants, directed by monkeys. If you like easy combat and disregard the story completely, this game is for you. All the others: STAY AWAY!!!
  7. Jan 16, 2013
    I usually wouldn't give that low of a score to a game. But this game deserves a solid 0 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government is corrupt and we need to stand up and to face the demon: the government. Like we haven't heard this before, I can't see how anyone can like this game except some teenagers with over flowing testosterone. This game gets a light to a strong 0. Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    I just finished the game, which kind of became a drag later on. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just atrocious. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got ashamed of al the profanity, mind you, I was playing ALONE. Pro's - I liked some of the music, though the placement was way off sometimes. - Some platforming was ok, better than most Devil May Cry games.
    - Wonderful enviromental design

Cons:"

- Juvenile and shallow writing
    - bad story - characters are 1 dimensional as can be
    - character design is just plain bad
    - combat got boring really fast
    - game focusses on enemy's that need different weapons to take down later on in the game. This sacrifices creativity and combat freedom. The meaning of Devil May Cry games, if you ask me.
    - No replay value whatsoever
    - It's just waay to easy

I honestly dont get all the great scores by reviewers, did they even play the game. Did they ever play a Devil May Cry game? All my hope in gaming journalism is gone, as of now.
  9. Jan 18, 2013
    So is DmC the amazing game the press is trying to make it to be or the terrible, horrible game the fans are saying? Well its neither. Its a decent hack and slash game that fails to live up to the previous games quality. Design: DmC in game design is pretty much the classic hack and slash formula, follow a path, do some platforming, solve some puzzles, defeat a group of enemies, move on, power up using orbs, face bosses. While the game design is very standard, its the character design and overall look of the game that initially caused a lot of controversy and while some may like the new designs, its hard to argue they don't fit the series. Its not just the new Dante design but also the enemy and scenery designs that seem out of place leaving that Gothic looks of the original that fitted so well with the demonic teams to some random copy and paste ideas from other games and movies. Things seem torn between being western and "new", and trying to resemble a DMC game, and it fails on feeling like either. 7/10
    Story: Without a doubt the worst part of the game. Previous DMC games had simple stories that follow a very anime approach to them. Leaving most of the story on the background and focusing more on a strong lead character that stereotyped the cool, confident, strong anime character that does what is right and loves a good challenge. it all worked great to produce amazing looking cutscenes with over the top moments that looked great, were funny and didn't take themselves very serious. The new DmC tries to alternate between serious and imitating the cool moments of the old series but fails miserably in both. Clearly the sense of cool of the witter and his understanding of the anime style of writing is terrible, and the final result were non interesting characters with the worst of all being Dante that comes as a Dick almost all the times with infantile swearing, a prick attitude and some of the worst writing in videogame history. The ending will literally make you trow objects against the screen (don't). 5/10
    Gameplay: This might be the best thing about DmC and it should be what matters as DMC as always been about great fun gameplay right? Unfortunately while the gameplay as its fun moments its still a downgrade from what we got on the previous games. After just a few minutes of playing the fresh sensation will start to disappear as you start remembering DMC 4 and the problems start becoming evident. There is no lock on, and sometimes (a lot) you can't hit the enemy you want, suddenly you realize that directional input is not there and because of it Dante was less than half the quantity of combos he could perform on 4. You then see there is no taunt, that there is no style system and that the angelic and demonic weapons are just the strong and weak/range attacks from Heavenly Sword and they just seem pasted with no balance in the game. After a while you also realize the guns are broken and do almost no damage, that its too easy to get SSS ranks, that enemy AI is a joke and the only challenge comes from enemies that can only be hurt from a specific weapon and that the framerate doesn't even stay steady at 30 fps. The initial feel of quality is a delusion from not playing the old titles for a while as after playing DmC playing DMC 4, 3 or even 1 will feel like they were the sequels and the improved versions, with more depth, precision, fluidity, and challenge. 7/10
    Graphics: This generation you expect that games look good and its not difficult to make them look good. DmC looks good, it as nicely detailed character models (weather you like them or not), it as nice interesting environments, and it can be appealing to look at. But again its when comparing it to previous entries that it falls apart. Putting footage of DMC 4 side by side with DmC its clear that DMC 4 had much sharper graphics, with more fluidity, more detail, and a bigger scale of things. It is a difference that is well masked from all the filters of DmC limbo world, but when things switch up to the real world footage the illusion falls apart and you see that while looking good it doesn't look great. 8/10
    Sound: DmC again misses to understand DMC world and while retaining some metal themes it fails to have that epic gothic orchestra feel the previous games had and DMC had amazing soundtracks. the dubstep is a terrible terrible thing that will at least be saved by the option of turning the music off. 6/10
    Lasting appeal: As all Ninja Theory games it is very short, last around 8 hours on the higher difficulty settings. Almost half what would take to finish DMC 3. While there are things you can only unlock through multiple plays the game is just too easy even in the higher difficulty levels making the weak challenge not worth the effort. Also you can't skip cutscenes meaning you have to listen to the terrible story all over again. DmC is a 6/10 game that gets a 3 due to the mistreating, decieving of fans and corruption of press reviews
  10. Jan 18, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one thing going for it. It perfectly shows how to NOT make a sequel to a beloved franchise. Gameplay in DmC has to be some of the worst I've seen in any action game. Enemies, even on the hardest difficulty take away very little health and have slow and easily dodgeable attacks. Dante himself has a confusing move list. Holding R2 and L2 is annoying when you are in the heat of a combo. The game also lacks lock on, a mechanic every DMC has had. Lock on made it easier for the player to focus on one enemy and be as crazy as possible. Even with games such as Ninja Gaiden, which featured no lock on, it still had soft lock on and let you attack who you wanted too when you wanted too. DmC doesn't have either (or it does and does it poorly), Ebony and Ivory can hit enemies you don't want them too, you can whip enemies you don't want to. Dante also can stay in the air forever making the game a borefest. The gameplay is also broken up constantly by horribly written and acted cutscenes. Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2013
    one of the worst hack n slash games i have played .combat is tooo easy and broken,enemies are brainless walking zombies. the game has been dumbed down dramatically.the platforming sections were fun for the first hour or so then just got repetitive over time.music was not memorable at all. i got this used but now im refunding this garbage. There are way better games to play out there.
  12. Jan 22, 2013
    DmC is a truly garbage game. I played a bit of it and I can tell you that the most atrocious part of it is the stupid L2 and R2 weapon changing system. You basically have to hold a trigger constantly to use a weapon that is either ineffective or too overpowered (you get SSS in the tip of a hat) and you always have to do this stupid grappling **** that such a goddamn chore to do every time. Not to mention glitches everywhere, and uninspired art for its stages and unlikable protagonist. It's rubbish. Don't bother with this game. Expand
  13. Jan 22, 2013
    I had been skeptical of this reboot but still got the game to give it a chance. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed Ninja Theory's effort. Basically the game is casualized, westernized and updated to appeal to to the new generation of gamers who are afraid of a challenging and Japanese game. The gameplay has been really simplified so that anyone can pull of combos but this means that the combos do not require skill and therefore are not satisfying or worth bragging. The enemy AI has been dumbed down severely so that they stand idly for 10s of second and telegraph their attacks 2 to 3 seconds earlier. Weapons are imbalanced; some too weak while others too powerful. Many weapons and moves are never needed throughout the game and a player has no reason to invest time in them. Style ranking system is broken and can be exploited easily to reach SSS ranking within 3 attacks. The story starts nice and makes the player think that it will turn out to be something great but develops into nothing and abruptly ends. We get only a 10 second ending to a 7 hour game with a lot of plot-holes and unresolved issues remaining. Character are not endearing in any way especially Dante with his horrible attitude. There is a lot of platforming in this game and you may like it if it is your thing but I think it does not belongs in a technical hack and slash game series like DMC. The music is subjective and may or may not appeal to a player depending upon his taste. Finally the game is only 7 hours long and has little replay value with only Dante's white hair to unlock. I think this game is a big step down from the previous games which were highly technical, challenging and balanced in this their gameplay. However, new gamers who never played the previous game and those who are afraid of challenge will like this game. I think it is an average game at best and nothing special. It basically a game to make you feel good about your supposed "MAD SKILLZ" without possessing any. them. Expand
  14. Jan 21, 2013
    Been a fan of DMC since the very first game and heard this is a reboot not a sequel which disturbs me more then any thing. Its basically Saying yeah thoose old DMC games yeah they never really happend they are BS. Which is no need because DMC 1 was a great game even though it had a very lack luster story it didn't need a reboot. Well we got one any way and well might as well try and enjoy it i mean it could be great could add more to the story right? well unfortunitly it abandons pretty much any thing resembling the first DMC's story for some thing more post modern i guess. having demons running the media and such stuff ... i dont know it was all kind of stupid to me.Then we have the new Dante oh dear god what have they done to you. Dante was once a cool looking swave, **** , cool , had a great one liner for ever thing kinda guy. Now he is a Emo looking dork who with every passing moment i just grew to despise more and more as the game went on . I mean its pretty bad when you just hate your main character but its like that with every one in the game though. They are all just lame and not well done. Though hating the main character isn't grounds for a terrable game though add on a crap story lame dialogue and the score is gona crumble a bit. Now for the gameplay with DMC is famous for ... Its pretty good . Its fast paced action pact and flows well like prevous DMC games for the most part outside of style rankings are freeking easy to rank up on . getting a SSS rank is not much of a challange now. The camera is good didnt have any trouble with it but ultimetly the problem with DMC is unlike prevouse DMC games since the story and characters feel so lame i just felt no reason to want to play this again after i beat it infact i felt more like going back to play DMC4 or DMC HD trilogy then wanting to play this again. which makes me glad i only rented it . Thats about where i would put this game at a rental and see what you think of it before you make any choice to purchase it. Expand
  15. Jan 26, 2013
    So due to HMV threatening to close on me I rushed into the shop to try and spend my gift card. I wanted to use my gift card on Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. But no luck. They hadn't had any brought in yet. So I decided i'd see if this was as bad as the "users" metacritic have said. Now I have played the game and can say that they are all a bunch of lying tw*ts. I'm guessing none of them have played the game and based the whole thing on the "wig scene" and Dante's new look. This is the wrong way to look at the game. DmC is excellent. I don't give out 8's very often, but DmC deserves it. The game pumps you with adrenaline as you hack through enemys. The music is a big part of this along with the grading system. Yes, the enemys aren't as difficult as some of you "Hardcore" gamers would like. But, a massive but, the game uses a grading system that judges how diverse your combat technique is and gives you a score at the end judged on combat, time, death and your exploration of the world. Overall is a challenge as you need to keep the combat fresh, keep your timing and find the hidden treasure all quite compact together to get a decent score. This is what makes DmC special.
    While Ninja Theory might have been a bit rude to the fans, they do their own take on a beloved franchise and nail it. It is after all, THEIR OWN TAKE! If this was a new IP i'm pretty sure the User score would be a 9. Ignore the loony people who haven't played the game and listen to me.
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a game that insults its long time fan base, makes no attempt to use the source material and even disrespects it at times, and has awful writing combo'd with shock value and "edgy" material. This game is not a Devil May Cry game. To be honest, if it had just be its own IP than it probably would have done better as a more casual hack-n-slash, but it didn't. Thank you Capcom for ruining another perfect good IP. Expand
  17. Aug 31, 2013
    This game suffers from one crippling flaw which completely hampered my enjoyment and made it impossible for me to derive any pleasure from playing it.

The game does not contain even a single reference to Shrek.
  18. Jan 24, 2013
    I didn't liked the game at all. They shouldn't name it Devil May Cry. Maybe if they called it heavenly sword 2 or something else I wouldn't judge so strictly but in this case they spoiled a great franchise's name trying to take its place.
  19. Jan 21, 2013
    I will start with the positive, DmC is definitely an improvement over Enslaved. But that is the wrong game ! The battle is generic hack en slash without a hint of challenge. It doesn't hold a candle to Bayonetta or DMC 4, let alone DMC 3. Instead of the dark, imposing gothic art direction you get the hipster version. Extremely immature dialogues. The gfx are worse than those of DMC 4.

You can waste your money but you have been warned.
  20. Jan 16, 2013
    Now this is whay I call a 'hyped-as-hell game that disappoint you in the end when you make the mistake of give it a try'... -Slow and laggy gameplay, compared to DMC4 and even DMC3... -No Lock-on, no taunts -No Styles -Bad storytelling, bad dialogues. -Bad choice in music -Lame ending -DLC... The only good thing are the graphics, but shiny visuals are not enough if the game is bad and mediocre. After one playthrough, you lose the will to replay it... Not worth buying. Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    I don't ever get hocked on Capcom games. Love Ninja theory games.Enslaved was my game of 2010. The two of mixed. Ninja with it's great story telling skills and Capcom's known knowledge on combat really makes this game a great reboot of the series. Won't be putting this game anytime soon. I see a lot of negativity towards the game on here. Your entitled to your own opinion's as am I.
  22. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME. I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off ! This is a great game! This is a fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys ! Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too ! Ninja Theory congrats!
  23. Jan 18, 2013
    The major problem with this game is that it's another effort where Ninja Theory show that they CAN try, but they don't really know how. The Virility factory level and the Raptor News level were competently designed and could almost be fun to navigate if the platforming segments weren't so short. Other problems with this game have been mentioned to death in the other reviews, but I feel the facft that NT has a smidgen of creativity hasn't, and it would be unfair not to mention that. Other than that... Squirrel Spunk, fighting a demon foetus and the giant disembodied head of Bill O'Reily as bosses in this game should be enough to drive anyone off that hasn't been put off by the juvenile profanity-laden exchange between Donte and The Secret Ingredient (I refuse to call that thing a Succubus). Also, I have seen the interaction between Donte and Wergil (what I like to call Vergil in Name Only) being praised in the professional reviews and I don't understand why. It's soulless. The voice actors are either not talented enough to pull it off or are just bored out of their skulls, but I didn't find it quite as entertaining or ironically tragic as the exchange between the twins in DMC3. Overall, the game misses on so many notes it's impossible to give it a higher score, and that was for some slightly inspired platforming and one weapon that actually works with the lack of lock-on. Expand
  24. Jan 20, 2013
    This is my second review. First I wrote right after i stop playing so now i wanna share what i think. First of all Dante was a half human and in this game his no longer partly human, the scene when vergil shoots lilith is ofending! And the wig joke is a middle finger to all the fans who love and care for dmc games. The graphics is worst than dmc 4, The colour saturation is bad.. And the good reviews from "proffesional critics" are the biggest mistery to my since the birth of life.. Proffesional critics call me maybe hater or fanboy but im not a hater.. in fact I love the series in this game is simple a mix of ninja gaiden 3 and Heavenly Sword with DMC sticker..and its a bad mix.. I hope that someday we get a proper devil may cry 5.. Its not completely bad game but its VERY bad dmc game. For the first time my dissapoint was so big that its forced me to get a metacritic account and share my sandess and anger.. RIP Dante Expand
  25. Jan 25, 2013
    Imagine if you will taking a game that near defined a genre, then dumbing it down and robbing it of any self awareness and humour in favour of crass adolescent **** and simplistic, uninspired gameplay.

Quite why they choose to make this game Devil May Cry flavoured is beyond me. If they actually made a DMC game with the sort of budget this game got it could well be the best of the
    series, but apparently Capcom hates money.

0/10, do not buy this game if you're a fan.
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    Ruined a great series that didn't need a reboot. New characters = Bad. Gameplay = too simple. Boss fights = Crap. Difficulty = too easy Overall= worse than the contents of my toilet.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    Great game. Great visuals, fluid action, great mechanics, and yes, a challenge. Not a blind hater, I haven't played DmC since DMC3, and I didn't even finish that, not because of the challenge, I love the challenge games such as Demon and Dark Souls, but because plainly, the entire series was just stale and boring. With the announcement of this, the change of the story and main character, I had to see it for myself. I tried out the demo, and loved it, the boss battle was engaging and fun, and the new Dante is a trip. You can call him immature and juvenile if you want, that is your opinion. I find him quite funny and real, engaging. That being said, the game does have a few problems. The PS3 version runs well, but at times can run a bit choppy, I prefer the overall visuals on the PS3 to the 360, but I think in time a patch will come out to hopefully allow the PS3 version to run a little smoother. Verdict: Must buy game for those with an open mind, who actually like good games.

Rating: 9/10
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    The game is constructive and dynamic, truth to be a new release was very promising, emphasizing that this is not DMC or DMC3 DMC4 that those who try to compare only pure will say "bullshit" (I am a big fan of this series but I'm not going to get as a child and mourn ridiculous that followed my taste) Actually the game fun and I liked many aspects as some not so, the cinematics and well detailed graphics, the combo system is dynamic as for fans and non-fans, in my opinion, I think it is very good way to bring up again the name of Devil May Cry, because many of today do not know the previous games great titles, but never a game is not bad, but the bad thing is that there are many fans who are very ill. Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    The combat is solid and fun. The environments are the best this generation. The story is solid, and the acting is great. Best Devil May Cry game. The changes that were made , in my opinion, make this game much better than the previous games. Don't believe the extremely low scores. Fans of the older games are score bombing this games like a bunch of brats.
  30. Jan 16, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the goth-Dante loyalists! Every Devil May Cry fan should give this title a shot & then decide for themselves whether or not this entry deserves a place in the series.
    My opinion is yes. It may be very different looking than the Devil May Cry we all know and love on the outside but it still plays and feels like a DMC game. Graphics & Presentation(9/10)
    While I'm not a
    fan of the unreal engine since it mostly ruins facial expressions, I didn't find that too much of an issue. The character movements were fluid and the environment looked amazing. The level design is one of the best I've seen in any game and is extremely unique. There were a few dropped frames during some cut scenes but it wasn't anything to be upset over. The soundtrack was great too.

Gameplay:(10/10)
    This is where this title really stands out. The improved gameplay is fantastic. Some people will hate it because it's "too simple", but the truth of the matter is that it really isn't. You can instantly switch between 5 melee weapons and 3 projectile weapons and chain them together. Dodging also plays a big role in this game sometimes giving you bonuses like stronger hits after a dodge. Another thing I liked was that you could enable and disable moves and upgrades without any penalties. It helped me use Dante exactly how I wanted to use him and get rid of also those annoying moves I accidently set off that ruined my combos. I do miss some of the puzzle elements in the old DMC games but that's been replaced by mostly speed-based platforming which I enjoyed very much.

Story & Boss Battles: (8/10)
    While the story was on par with DMC3, I felt like the conclusion was missing something (which will probably be addressed in the upcoming DLC). The characters were great an voice acting was more than just good. The boss battles were a bit of a disappointment. The first battle was something you'd expect from a DMC game but the rest of the bosses were odd. The studio tried to make each one unique and cinematic, which did look good, but I didn't enjoy them as much as I did the bosses of DMC3 & 4. All in all... You should try this game even if it is to confirm that you hate it (Didn't we all play DMC 2?). It is a very good game and one of my favorite in the series so far (2nd favorite, nothing can dethrone DMC3). If you boycott this game you'll just be denying yourself a fun and great experience. I just want to say that change is good sometimes. If you love DMC3 so much why not just go play DMC3 again? Its pointless for the studio to keep making the EXACT SAME GAME OVER & OVER AGAIN and make us pay to play it, right?
  31. Jan 16, 2013
    They changed the story, characters, character appearance is the least and yet the choice was unfortunate.
    Never took the knowledge of the fate which the series should make it clear that the fans huh **** Capcom and Ninja Theory that really matters is money.
    Even comes with a little joke in the game to offend longtime fans putting a wig on "Dante".
    Look at all this change agrees with
    independent have liked the game or not that person is not a fan of the series.
    But if put in place the fans and if Kratos, Master Chief, Marcus Fenix ​​or even book character that was switched to another type adaptation movies or series you also hate.
  32. Jan 16, 2013
    DMC is a very solid action/hack n slash game...it's too bad there is a legion of butt hurt fun boys that can't accept change. They'd rather give 0's to a game they haven't played than enjoy it for what it is. A new Devil May Cry game rebooted. Well they can keep playing old white haired 80's rocking Dante if they want. I'm all for the new.
  33. Jan 16, 2013
    In my opinion this so-called "reboot" (I'm not convinced a reboot was even needed) rates very poorly. From the dumbing-down and over simplification of the combat mechanics to microscopic missions that take you from point A to point B with nothing more than a few enemies sprinkled here and there for you to kill along the way. This game falls flat on several fronts when measured against the standard set by most of the previous entries in the Devil May Cry saga .As far as I'm concerned this game has the air of a Devil May Cry game but not its heart. Expand
  34. Jan 16, 2013
    I still cant understand the rebooot. Little innovation with the combat, controls, or enemy AI. The game boxes you in with combat by making you use certain weapons to defeat certain enemies. If enemy is red, then devil weapon. huh? The color palette is not as colorful and contrasting as previous game. See DMC 4. Lastly, the bosses are not memorable. Ign who game the game a review of 9 only cited 1 memorable boss out of their top 10 DMC bosses. DMC 4 sold 2.73 million copies and Capcom is only expecting 2 million in sales. Another bad decision by Capcom Expand
  35. Jan 16, 2013
    I'll try keeping this short. No, the hate this game is getting is not about the character or the hair color or any of that nonsense, believe me if that were the only problems I'd have already preordered it. The problem comes from the fact that in every factor, form the story, to the soundtrack, to the technical specs, and most importantly, the gameplay itself, is a let down from previous entries in the series. Add in the fact that Tameem has publicly insulted old fans of the series along with taking a dump over the franchise and you can hopefully understand why I'm a little upset. I'm not going to tell you not to enjoy this game, heck I hope you sincerely get your money's worth, but know that I hope, with all my heart, that this game fails. Hard. Not out of hatred for you guys, but in the hope that it'll make Capcom release Tameem is a hack and the chance for a proper DMC5 rises from the ashes. Yeah, not likely, but if nothing else you can consider this my little **** you" to Tameem. Expand
  36. Jan 17, 2013
    This is flat, simple game without soul. They kill beatyfull game series. Music bad, gameplay boring(2 buttons to get SSS), bad interface. Maybe, if this game not been DMC(What means Devil may cry), maybe it been not so bad.
  37. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a beautiful game, it good storytelling, but it lacks the gameplay depth of the series, lacks surprises, and the majority of the gameplay was spoilered by Ninja Theory itself in their official walkthroughs.

Just like Devil May Cry was trying to mimic God of War.... spawn enemies everywhere, poor move set, lots of cutscenes, and a lot of real-time events.

You watch a lot of cool things, but play much less, and with much less quality. Playing it for the second time, you can barely find something new and worthy.

Low frame rate, and LOTS of graphical glitches. Every hole you fall show unfinished places, and every cutscene flashes bad rendered frames at your eyes.
  38. Jan 21, 2013
    first of all i really did want to like the game.. i guess. its not really a 0.0 game or a 1.0 heck even a 4.0..
    i did have fun?.. ( whatever i had it did produce a few smirks in my face) in my 8 to 7 hrs in this new DmC game. The combat is great tho i did really miss the lockon.. want to target those annoying flying *****ks while being swarmed by ground enemies with glowing crap all over
    them? well **** you, you cant! - Ninja Theory. but like i said the combat was fun and i did get a kick out of the combo systyem when i got all of dante's weapons. The platforming is also fun. loved the backgrounds and the art style of the whole game i just really really hate how dante is portrayed in this.. I miss the happy go lucky, thinks-everything-is-a-party dante.. he's currently replaced by this go-****-yourserlf-while-i-****-some-random-girls dante with snarky attitude and a weak excuse for a devil may cry leading woman kat. . jesus christ.. wtf did they do to vergil.. the ending is asenine. *SPOILERS* Vergil is defeated and he says "i loved you brother"... after attempting to kill dante.. his brother.. WTF?! *END SPOILERS* and this.. this is team ninja's attempt at a Shakespearean writing and story telling?! please do not listen to the morons telling you the story is good. its not even bad its **** thats what it is. all in all this was a good game tied to an immature ****s of a dev team that couldnt handle an iconic game character and ended up with changing him drastically to appeal to the hip young, swearing, casual sex loving teenagers of today. seriously i was going to score this a 6 but after all the **** team ninja said and done to me beloved series.. specifically the "wig" scene.. i would like to mail them a severed *fake* middle finger. i wont do this but im seriously
    pondering it.
  39. Feb 4, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combat ensures that this is a distinguishable entry from Capcom's pure juggernaut. There are bouts of iffy platforming, rote boss battles and uninteresting character design, but these all pale under the immensely detailed world that has been bestowed. Beautiful, fresh and badass, Ninja Theory has reinvigorated Dante with a great action game to start the year off in style. Expand
  40. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore the user score for this game, it, like so many other decent games, has been artificially lowered by fan-boys and other individuals for a few very specific, very dumb reasons. First, the majority of these people are by and large fans of Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4, which are decent games. They ignore the fact that Devil May Cry 2 was terrible, and that Devil May Cry 4 was hardly innovative or interesting at all. Besides that, they are upset that this game is a reboot of a franchise they used to love. It's as simple as that. They make no claims to the quality of the game, and if they do, they are lying. Nobody in their right mind could possibly give this game a 0/10 score. It's not possible. At minimum, this game should be a 6/10. It's got quite a lot of good things about it, and my experience with it is a solid 9/10 experience. I've had a TON of fun, the combat is fluid, graphics are great, the humor is just stupid enough, and I feel it stays true to the Devil May Cry experience. I don't know where these other people are getting off on calling this game complete garbage. This game is pretty damn good, and is far superior to DMC2 or DMC4 in terms of level design, combat, and innovation. Some people are just too stubborn to enjoy themselves, I guess. Expand
  41. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If this is your first hack-n-slash game, this game would probably be an okay place to start. Controls are easy and intuitive for new players, combat is very satisfying without putting too much demand on the player, and the game doesn't punish you for mistakes quite as brutally as others of its genre. However, as a long time hack-n-slash fan, I can't seriously endorse this game. Combat is incredibly linear (even going as far as presenting enemies that can only be damaged with a specific weapon) and if you get too comfortable with this game's difficulty curve, you'll be sorely unprepared for just about every other hack-n-slash game on the planet. While combat is satisfying and fun, it offers absolutely no room for growth. You'll master the basics, and then you've mastered everything. Bosses are by far the worst offenders in this game, being reduced to long platforming segments and glorified binary color matching puzzles, presenting no challenge even on the hardest difficulty. Boss abilities that have counters are normally designed in such a way that the player will frequently counter them on accident just by spamming the attack button and staying close to the boss, a far cry from the careful timing and forethought required for previous DMC games. As an example, during the vergil fight his summoned swords can be destroyed by simple hammering the attack key without pause, and his rapidslash will miss you completely if you just stand right in front of him and don't move while continuing to attack. During boss fights, your combat will frequently be interrupted by unskippable cutscenes (to give you a good reference, the Succubus boss fight contains up to 12 cutscenes, 9 of which are the same) and are these particularly important? No; they're normally just a short clip of your character glaring angrily or the boss calling you a This game also shows signs of seriously poor design, with many elements from other media sloppily copy/pasted into this game with no regard for their original purpose. In older DMC games, jump canceling was the only way to extend your air combos and remain airborne for a long time. In DmC, staying airborne indefinitely is a simple matter of grappling after every few attacks, yet they pasted jump canceling in anyway. Why? It serves no purpose, yet they heard it made another game great, so copy/paste. They do the same thing with the plot. Minor spoiler, but the entire plot of this game is a copy/paste of "They Live" but with the edginess turned up to 11. In "They Live" it made sense to reveal the hidden world to everyone and make them realize they were being controlled, and it made the movie great. In DmC, does it make as much sense to merge the demon world with the human world? Oh sure, humanity is now being viciously murdered by the entirety of Hell gone wild on earth, but at least they won't fall for those fast food ads or listen to those media lies anymore! It made sense in "They Live" but in "DmC" it's stupid. On the note of things being stupid, Ninja Theory has a frankly baffling notion of what's "cool" for a protagonist. At one point in the game you kidnap a pregnant woman and hold her hostage. During the hostage exchange, is it the bad guy that doublecrosses you? No, you do. While the exchange happens, vergil shoots the woman through the stomach. He lets her live for just long enough to realize her baby was just killed before shooting her through the head. Dante then goes on to talk about watching the baby "exploding into wet chunks" and describes the experience as being "priceless". I'm going to remind you that this is the protagonist. Oh, and Ninja theory's ego is a noticable presence in this game. their logo shows up 4 times during the intro, and the credits? In previous DMC games, you were dropped into an endlessly spawning room full of enemies, you could rip and tear to your heart's content for the next 3 minutes. This is an action game, that's entirely fitting. But in this new DmC? For the credits you're taken on a video tour of ninja theory's studio. Wow, thanks, that's just what I wanted as my reward for beating this game. TL;DR combat is fun but very shallow, the script is the most awful thing I've seen in decades, and the main character is so unlikable it's easier to get through this game if you just think of mundus as the good guy. Expand
  42. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore all of the negative reviews, they are simply trolls, people who've not played the game.
    I got the game yesterday and finished It in just over 11 hours, it's a great game, with a colourful cast of both characters and environments and a fun combat system with depth should you seek it.

Ninja Theory have taken a lot of criticism from old DMC fans upon taking on the franchise and
    they've done a sterling job, aside from a few technical hitches on the PS3 version (including iffy shadows and the occasional frame drops on busy cutscenes) it runs and looks phenomenal, the standouts include Chapter 13/14 and the final battles.

In comparison, I found DMC4 to be a sloppy, lazily put together mess with no originality and half of the content was repeated, a terrible game.
  43. Jan 19, 2013
    I think it's pretty friggin' ridiculous the negative backlash it's getting from people who NEVER even played the game in its entirety. DMC, is a great game. It may not be the same Devil May Cry we've grown up with over the years but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dante - in essence and personality is still true to his character. In fact the Dante this time around seems more realistic. The combat in DMC is pretty damn accessible, the gameplay was down to the tee of the original games. I think the overall thing that got me was the narrative. Devil May Cry 3 was probably my favourite Devil May Cry game, Vergil was such a great character and the calibration between both Dante and Vergil really hooked me. Without spoiling some of the key plot points let's just say the game in its entirety is an origin story. Everyone was wondering why Dante didn't have white hair and people bashed Ninja Theory for something so stupid. The reason being is because it's apart of the story. One would have to play through to truly enjoy. People can cast ill judgements upon the game, but all I gotta say as a fellow Devil May Cry fan and a gamer: You're missing out. Expand
  44. Feb 19, 2013
    After reading so many bad reviews and comment, I decided to stand out for this game. Everyone is complaining about how bored the storylines and Dante's new look. Believe it or not, I bought this game for $60 becasue of that hot demon with a awesome hair cut that i saw in the game store trailer. Even though i didnt play the last few games......well what's the big deal having a new style in the new game? It's not like hes the king of douche. Gameplay combat its pretty cool. But the whole game will be way better if it's way longer...maybe now days games are getting shorter and shorter (AC III, Sleeping Dogs, DMC) Sometime a game have a option to troll around by yourself will seem like the game is long like GTA 4. Shooting hookers, one man army those kinda stuff. But one thing that i am not really happy is that since Dante looked pretty damn hot and Kat's apperance is just meh. And i felt kinda weird that Dante and Kat is together since the last few games there are cute girls as Dante's sidekick.....anyone felt the same way....? Expand
  45. Jan 15, 2013
    Stupid fans! They **** to much!!! its a great game on its own, awesome graphics, sweet smooth gameplay and a cooool story, the thing is that people NEVER will get used to the changes the world goes through, its really dumb, everybody has to understand that things change, if they liked the old franchise, then play those games and STFU! "If you want to make enemies... try to change something." -Adam Jensen Expand
  46. Jan 15, 2013
    An absolutely amazing game. The gameplay is fun (which is the only thing that matters in determining a game's quality), the soundtrack is dubstep (which is amazing, and if you don't like it, it's just something your pathetic mind can't fully undertstand or appreciate), I won't comment on the graphics since they don't matter at ALL (but I like the dark and gritty artstyle, which resembles my art that I post on deviantart), and the story is a wonderful social commentary that exposes the evils of society and the government. If you like gritty games, and you like accessible, fun gameplay, then this is the game for you. Expand
  47. Jan 15, 2013
    I have never seen so much unreasonable hate for a game before. The design is unique and interesting. The gameplay is just as fun as the other DMC's. The story was OK. If you dislike the games for logical reasons, fine, but do not listen to these people who give a game a 0 because they're upset. As for easiness, it it completely dependent on the difficulty you choose. Human is too easy, but 'Hell and Hell' difficulty is where you die from one hit. *spoiler*

As for the 'killing a defenseless pregnant woman' part, it's a FREAKING DEMON AND DEMON SPAWN! and the demon spawn was going to be the next demon king, so yeah.
  48. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  49. Jan 21, 2013
    Absolutely terrible and pointless. From tasteless, childishly amateur writing, terrible graphics and ocean of bugs and glitches to a completely bland and casual gameplay that, when it actually works properly, is only targeted at replicating the visual feats of the previous games which you had to actually master back in the day. A vanity project devoid of any style, substance or passion sown together for a quick buck riding on a big name. At this point unless we see a DMC5 developed by Capcom itself in few years, it's safe to say that DMC is dead and this abomination is what finished it off with a shotgun to a head. Expand
  50. Jan 16, 2013
    Now normally I'm not one to write reviews of games that are only a day old. I just had to come and counteract this blind hate this game is receiving from over entitled "hardcore DMC fans." Now this game is no where near perfect and that's not what I'm trying to get across for this review. But all the 0 scores or pretty much anything 3 and below are all spouting the same nonsense that reviewers are being bought out to give this game good reviews. I want you guys to really think about this a second, if Capcom wanted to buy out reviewers for a massive AAA title like this, don't you think they would have done the same for Resident Evil 6, or Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City to guarantee good hype about the game. You guys are a broken record of already proven false conspiracy theories trying to turn as many people off to a new take on a new series because it doesn't fit in your otaku game collection. I didn't see a lot of complaining about Metroid Other M when that game did just about the same thing this game is doing aside from not being over the top. This is a good game; it has some things people will consider offensive, but that's part of its awkward charm. SSS ranks, sure are easy to obtain if you're good at dodging, but play this on Dante Must Die and see if you reap the same rewards. There's a lot of people going around saying that the enemy AI is exactly the same which is not true at all. The AI does improve drastically if you actually play between difficulties. Now my main gripe with the combat in this game, as it is very solid and easy to get into but also complex enough for fans of the past games like me. The thing that bugs me the MOST about the combat in this game is the lack of being able to lock on to enemies. Now for the most part the game auto locks on to whatever demon your pointing your stick towards or what you're looking at, but that removes one of the challenging aspects of DMC to begin with, having to juggle between manual locks was actually a fun part of the original series to me. But this issue is a personal one at best; I'm sure not everyone liked having to manually lock which is why most players played DMC4 on automatic and I'm sure Ninja Theory saw that. The only other thing that I didn't love about this game was the language; it sometimes got to be too much. This is NOT a DMC that can be played around your family or siblings if they are young. That was part of the charm of the original games; they were mature for different reasons other than language. But all in all after a real breakdown of this game I'm going to give it an 8/10. This is not a typical DMC, but this is still an excellent alternative until Capcom decides to continue the old series; I honestly hope there is room for both in the future and we see a DMC5 and a DmC2. Expand
  51. Jan 17, 2013
    The thing this game does good is, definitely, - the gameplay. Combat looks and feels easy once you got used to controls and (if you are a fan or just a guy who played and liked past DMCs) the abscence of lock-on option, whick kind of makes you feel uncomfortable at times, because sometimes Dante concentrates not on the target you want him to concentrate on or camera makes you look another way thus makes you irritated, disoriented and open for damage. Because of lock -on deletion many old actions are now a bit more complicated to pull off.... I'm talking about Dante's signature "Stinger" move, which is now done by moving Left Analog Stick twice in the direction you want to attack... it may not sound difficult, but sometimes it doesn't work the way you want it to. "Getting used to" is the main principle when it comes to controls. But you don't want to hear about controls, don't you ? You want to hear about Devil May Cry ! You want to hear about what kind of awesomness is going on the screen while you watch cutscenes, how characters interact with each other and basicly how overall cool you feel while playing it. It is shame, my friends, but Hideki Kamiya's Devil May Cry is long gone from here. You won't feel yourself controlling a guy who is in constant control over the situation, who jokes and cheers you up with his carefree attitude, his charm and lack of seriousness. No, this game takes itself way too serious: some cutscenes in the game make you feel as if it tries too hard to be Metal gear Solid, because it has a bad habbit to always explain things (which original universe didn't too with such fanatism). The bosses are pretty good, I liked nearly all of them, but mind you - not as boss-fights (they are pathetically easy) but as persons with characters, my most favourite are Bob Barbas, who is, strictly speaking, a satire towards T.V. news network and Media itself, and second one is Mundus, who, for my personal pleasure has a pretty likable and interesting personality (the thing he didn't have in DMC1). The enviroments look great and colourful with secrets waiting on every corner, but I can't bring myself to love those scripted "RUN" sequences which literally scream at you: "I WANT TO LOOK LIKE UNCHARTED SO YOU CAN LIKE ME MORE !!!"... They make you feel as if all your actions are scripted by some game programmer who thought that it might be neccessary to disable all attack buttons while the scripted scene is being "played" without the need of your taking part in it. Mind you - the game isn't bad by any means, it has nice combat, interesting story premise which deals with interesting and believable issues like "What is freedom ?" "What would humans do with freedom ?" "Why a man needs power ? In order to protect those who have need in his protection or in order to enslave the will of those he has power over ?" and yes, those are interesting things to think about, but this isn't Metal Gear Solid, neither this is Silent Hill, this is Devil May Cry - a game, main goal of which was always in making you feel yourself in control of Awsomness Embodied, a unbeliaveble man who does everything in the name of looking good and stylish while saving the world... Here, on the other hand, we have a believable characters, who aren't even half that cool and awesome.... And this is the main sin of this game - it is not as enjoyable as classic games (well, it is better then 2, that's for sure). So if you are a open minded fella who is interested in new ideas and images for old characters and gameplay premises then this game is fr you. As for me (being a enormous DMC fan since 10 years old) I see a good game which tries to be Devil May Cry while being something absolutely different. For example classic Devil May Cry traditions are left behind: Dante does not get impaled by his own sword, doesn't destroy the last boss with "JACKPOT" and doesn't shed a single tear in the end of the game.
    It's really for you to decide is it bad or good
  52. Jan 17, 2013
    While this game has a pretty great combo system, the enemies you use them on are not particularly challenging and the only ones that take time to kill are only weak to either Angel or Devil attacks. This breaks up the flow on combat and feels arbitrary. In comparison to the previous DMC games which did have enemies that required certain attacks (like weakening them with gunfire before using melee moves), it's prohibitive. Even so, getting yourself high scores in this game is so easy from how the style metre works (it doesn't drop a grade unless you are hit), how the exploration rank carries over on each playthrough (meaning you only ever have to interact with the secret missions and Lost Souls once) and how finishing levels in a "quick" time is very easy. The layout of the levels is also very monotonous. If it's not floating platforms, it's large, bland rooms. It's simply boring to navigate and because they are so linear, getting lost is just not possible.
    The writing is also atrocious. Honestly, truly bad. Mainly it's the dialogue. If Dante isn't repeating something Vergil JUST said, he's swearing at enemies in a non-witty, non-charming way and it makes him very unlikable. Most of the characters are flat and I don't buy their motivations for doing what they do. On top of that, Lilith and Mundus are the most "human" feeling characters of them all, which makes some later and shocking scenes (I won't spoil it for people who don't know) side with them instead of the brothers. There's also a number of things that are never explained, such as what purpose Mundus' whole system serves, or why exactly only Nephilim can beat him when it seemed fairly simple. It also sets up Sparda as a character in the second mission but we never hear nor see him when we should have.

Ultimately, the game has a nice combat system that while doesn't stand up to the speed and potential complexity of DMC 3 or 4, is still functional and fun. But that's about it. Nothing else about this game impressed me and the general attitude of both the creators of the game and the defenders of it towards the angry fans of the previous franchise, who have all made valid points as to why this game is bad(no, it's not simply about his hair colour) and why DMC shouldn't have been rebooted, has made me already dislike this game somewhat. I was hoping to be surprised by a hack n' slash that could blow me away as much as the previous DMCs did, but it didn't. It's bad, get the HD Collection and DMC4 instead.
  53. Jan 21, 2013
    Uncharismatic characters weak and poorly told story without innovation the previous universe of Devil May Cry was much better especially Dante that this reboot is a complete **** compared to the original Dante.
  54. Jan 23, 2013
    Ok, before you accuse me of hating this game just because of Dante's hair, there are a LOT more reasons as to why this game is an awful Devil May Cry game. Follow the link to see for yourself: http://pastebin.com/y3PKiumh
  55. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is simply terrible. I am not a fanboy of the previous DMC titles - this was recommended to me by a friend. All I can say is that it actually *was* fun for about an hour, then it get's so repetitive that you need to take a break every now and then in order to not stop playing it all together. The graphics are poor, the voice acting is poor (and irritating) the gameplay is clunky, the weapons are dull, the enemies are nothing special - in fact, what struck me most about this was that when I was fighting some, I desperately wanted the fighting to end because it was so dull, and when 'platforming' (read this sarcastically, it's a dreadful platforming experience) you wish you had something better to do. All in all, I spent a whole 3 hours of my time playing this and got over half way through it on Hard difficulty, meaning this game has no longevity. Sadly, the shop I bought it from would not even buy it back off me, let alone allow me to return it or exchange it. That being said, I'm still never going to complete this game. To put it in perspective - this game is better than MoH Warfighter. And that really sucked. Badly. If you buy this, you are a fool. Go buy GoW, Dante's Inferno or Bayonetta instead, or give your money to a homeless person, at least that way you won't feel robbed. Expand
  56. Feb 25, 2013
    Before i start i'd like to note that i am a huge DMC fan and have been one since it's inception in 2001.
    This game is no different! Dont listen to raging fanboys acting like children not giving this game a fair chance or review, because it's safe the say that this game is fantastic. 1. story and presentation It's the best looking, presented and grounded DMC to date. Dante feels like an
    actual person rather then a cliche anime pretty boy character. It's something as the series went on that DMC seemed to get confused and lost by. Dante this time around is a character that starts off carefree and flawed with lust but through out the game (with out spoiling) grows into the character and man he's supposed to be. Other then him Vergil is in the game and is final is a relatable character! Someone you can connect and have an emotional response to along side Dante. Kat is the new DMC girl and is not a busty girl with no character. Like Vergil she is someone you start to care for by the end of the game. With out spoiling the plot, it's definitely the most grounded DMC with the story more about character growth. My only complant about it is that it's cut short (like every game it seems now a day) and there are technical issues. Not in gameplay but some frame rate drops during cutscenes. Cutscenes which are gorgeous by the way! The mo cap that Ninja Theory is famous for is amazing! Dante feels, looks and acts like a real person with subtle to extreme animations. Any gamer that enjoys and appreciates art should pick up this game! It's hard to describe just how amazing the game looks! 2. Music and sound
    Like it or not the music is great! It fits the exact tone NT is going for. The music was composed by Noisia (electronic band) and Combichrist. (industrial band) They do a great job setting up the atmosphere and pumping you up for the battle at hand. I love the music in DMC and this one is no different! I didnt know how i felt about Noisia using dubstep but thats only a small portion of the music. They are so versatile that the music can fit into many genres (thats why i call them an electronic band not a dubstep band) from the soft strings in Kat's them, to The dubstep track for Mundas theme to the retro arcade song. Combichrist songs were used for the battle themes. I loved the metal with electronic synth which will build up as you gain your S ranking which also makes Dante faster as you yourself react faster. It's great when it's in effect and really pumps you up as your slaying demons! Other then that the sound effects are also amazing from the weapon, and creatures to the sound of limbo crushing the world. 3.Gameplay and value
    This is the area in which most fans (myself included) were scared about. in past ninja theory games, they proved that there game play had many issues and being quite shallow. However this time around with Capcoms ad thats not the case. The combat is different but similar and as smooth as ever! It's more approachable but just as hardcore as the last. I was surprised how smooth it ran on 30 fps (the pc version runs on 60 which looks fantastic) however slower then the past dmc games doesn't make the combat less or better but something fresh. The game is fun! and with many different difficulties and enemy re spawns should keep the player busy for a while. Things that caught my attention quick was the lack of lock on....it's not a major issue but when fighting multipul enemies it can get confusing. Also the game for me at least wasn't that challenging (comparing it the past dmc games) however i'm a huge dmc player and have SSS'd all the games on all difficulties and create combo videos on youtube so i do have that advantage over other players. Again it doesn't really take away from the experience but should be noted. 3. Conclusion
    This game had been getting a bad name from the online community with some people acting like children condemning what is a very fine work of art. Therefore what i ask the reader is to go into the game open minded with out judging a book by the cover. you will be surprised just how jaw dropping the game is. It's very artist, looks great, has great characters with some humor and above all else has fun silky smooth gameplay.
  57. Jan 22, 2013
    I wish this game played as nice as it looks...early on. This game has a visual flare to it that I like, but it lacks gameplay mechanics and has intrusive, uninformative, and just embarrassing cutscenes littered throughout that would put an MGS title to shame. It feels rushed in every way. It's hard to say the story lacks, rather than it's on a smoke break throughout the runtime and all the characters are really forcing a lot of trite commentary. DMC isn't really known for it's story, so you will slog along, waiting for the game to open up a lot of gameplay mechanics to you, and interesting situations to test your skills in different areas. This never happens. I just don't understand. It lacks mechanics, it lacks a story (though the mess that IS will be shoved down your throat at every opportunity). It's odd acceptance from publications has me really turned off and confused as well. I think the average user score is spot on, even if you consider it separate from previous DMC outings. As a DMC title, I would rank it much lower, but it does have some considerable production and visual elements to it that lift it from a 2. I just don't get the pitch: "We are going to reboot a hardcore franchise. We have no story. We have no interesting mechanics or innovations. Infact, we are stripping those elements way back. We DO have an interesting reinterpretation of the protagonist so as to polarize the community and generate hype. Our April 1st demographic lookup revealed that people wanted more platforming in DMC titles, so we are currently full-throttle on that." Expand
  58. Jan 16, 2013
    I've noticed people on this site attributing the 0 review scores to angry fan boys. I highly doubt that the bulk of those reviews are done by them. Take notice that most of those reviewers have not reviewed any other games or only 1 or 2 in the past, and have written short reviews which could be done in very little time. These are accounts created solely to lower the score of this game. Its called trade protectionism, and in this case its probably a very large company in the gaming industry contracting a small company to influence the way that people percieve this game. I've noticed Microsoft doing similar things in the past. If you don't believe me then I encourage you to spend some time on some of the gaming sites owned by CBS and Newscorp, and see how they report on Japanese game publishers and console makers. Metecritic should work harder to ensure credibiltiy on its website.

This is another great game developed by Nija Theory. Good action, good graphics, there's my review.
  59. Jan 15, 2013
    this is actually a fantastic game. don't let other people say differently. The gameplay and action are superb. The graphics are gorgeous and the only reason people are giving bad reviews are because Dante doesn't have white hair. i have read several dozen reviews on here saying that "the game would be fantastic if it wasn't called DMC" (they gave a rating of 0-1) and "the game is fantastic but its not the real Dante" (also a 0-1). The game is very fun and engaging and a joy to play. Fantastic game. Expand
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    When the first trailer for DMC was released, I was skeptical to say the least. I was worried what new studio Ninja Theory was doing to a franchise that I have been a long time fan of, but after completing DMC, I can safely say that fans of Devil May Cry can rest easy.

The gameplay is quick, smooth and very responsive, slipping between weapons and chaining combos has never felt so fluid
    in a Devil May Cry game. On the basic 3 difficulties, the game can seem quite easy compared to its predecessors, especially to Devil May Cry veterans, but from "Son of Sparda" mode and higher, it becomes something that veterans can really sink there teeth into, but having to already complete the game to unlock it is a bit of a disappointment, but par for the course with the Devil May Cry Franchise.

I will avoid saying much about the story to avoid spoilers, but the style in which it is told is a vast improvement to what it was in previous iterations. Dante seems more relate-able to some degree, more sympathetic. While the climax left a lot to be desired, seeing as it is CAPCOM, I fully expect an extended ending DLC along the lines of Asura's Wrath.
  61. Jan 16, 2013
    Haters gonna hate. The game is awesome, i had to vote 10 because everyone is just trolling with 0-4 grades. It's a shame to all fans of Devil May Cry. Honest it's more then 8 but less then 9.1, if you are a fanboy and play with a mindset that the game is terrible, it will be.

Cons: easy on normal mode, normal on difficult and it's a devil may cry on son of sparda.
  62. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is great. Currently played through on normal difficulty and have to say the story progression and character integration is amazing. I was one of the first people on the hate train when they announced the new DmC would be a complete reboot, as having played DmC3 & 4, I was upset with the new Dante. After purchasing and playing the game I have completely changed my outlook. People who are upset over the change shouldn't affect your choice in purchasing this game. Expand
  63. Jan 19, 2013
    An average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of the experience rather than adding to it. Glitches galore, exploit them at your leisure. I gave it a 5 because the combat can be fun if you're using most of your brain for something else and some of the visuals. Expand
  64. Jan 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WAH WAH BLACK HAIR!

Oh wait, that's not the reason every good fan of the series hates this game. It's because the combat has been needlessly simplified to the point where enemies on every difficulty mode can be easily disposed of. Other reviewers are praising the combat for being good and frantic but this simply isn't the case. While the gameplay isn't terrible it certainly doesn't reach the standard that Devil May Cry fans or even action game fans have been looking for. Any variety that was in the previous games has almost been completely erased as some enemies require you to use a certain weapon/attack to defeat them. While in previous games some weapons were more effective but all players could use whatever weapons they wanted to dispose of an enemy. The speed of combat has also been greatly decreased and getting "Style Bonuses"(points awarded for looking stylish, not dying, not getting hit etc) has never been easier.

Another thing that makes any Devil May Cry fan become alienated from this game is the plot line. Once again the plot line isn't much of a deal breaker in action games but this game tries to FOCUS on the plot at all times. And it doesn't help that the plot may actually annoy some people and show things that you would never think possible in a Devil May Cry game. A few scenes immediately spring to mind that made this game even worse for me. Such as Virgil stating his penis is larger than Dante's, sex for no real reason other than to put sex in the game and of course the worst of them all; Virgil shooting a pregnant woman, a demon woman to be fair but still completely shocking, and killing her only to have Dante make an **** remark later on in the game about it.

The game however does have its good points. The graphics, moving cities and effects are all fantastic. Ninja Theory's environment artists really deserve praise for that. Even the music managed to at least capture the flare that the original series went for. But overall, nice graphics and music aren't going to make me think this is a good game when the gameplay and plot are so abysmal.

Despite my feelings towards this game I would recommend it to someone who is looking to start the action/hack and slash genre and wants a simple and easy experience. It's just good to keep in mind that most of an entire fanbase has been completely shafted because of this reboot. And there isn't much we can do about it. Luckily the "true" action games are still being released so fans of the originals still have something to look forward to. So please don't think that every devil may cry fan hates this game because of the black hair or just because it's a reboot. Thank you for taking your time to read this review from a fan of the original series.

A 3/10 seems appropriate for people who love action games and/or who loved the original Devil May Cry series. Inexperienced gamers may have a better time but should note that there are far superior games.
  65. Jan 23, 2013
    First, let me present my relevant history. I am a fan of the original Devil May Cry series, having bought and played the first one on the PS2, and have every installment to date. I am also a fan of Ninja Theory's previous titles having played and enjoyed 'Heavenly Sword' and 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West'. For my part I thoroughly enjoyed DmC, it is admittedly easier than its original predecessor but then so are most modern games, the combat remains intuitive, creative and entertaining. I found the story to be an improvement on previous titles, even if the ending was unfortunately something of a damp squib. Its use of modern circumstances are an interesting new take on demonic intervention in the affairs of man and it was more involved than 'random island, demon king trying to initiate the apocalypse (take my word for it), do much killing there please'; though I still enjoy the latter form of story. Also, I prefer the environments which are far broader and greater in variation, ranging from seaside piers to a modern office complex. Furthermore, the voice acting (asides from one notable instance) is greatly improved, contributing to the experience as does the effective use of motion capture technology. An initial run through will probably take around 7 and a half hours, however there are various secret missions to unlock within the game and I found myself compelled to play it over and over so as to unlock the various difficulty settings. In regard to what appears the single most divisive issue, the new Dante, I actually didn't mind him. I enjoyed his flippant, dead-pan one-liners and believed this version demonstrated stronger emotional connections with other characters than previous incarnations. In summary I enjoyed all aspects of this game and believe it to be more than worthy of the Devil May Cry series, even if it is noticeably easier than its original incarnation of 2001. I gladly recommend it to anyone with a general interest in the hack'n'slash genre and earnestly hope that a sequel is planned by Ninja Theory and Capcom, which, in my opinion, have proven themselves a formidable duo. Expand
  66. Jan 27, 2013
    -Frame rate (30 fps) with bugs, in ps3.
    -Vergil using a rifle. ¬¬
    -When you gonna dodge a boss atack that is in front ou you, turn around and role. You don't have how to counter a attack like you done with royal guard or the devil bring in some attacks. -Dante is a teenager.
    -The limbo city looks like a corridor. -Ebony and Ivory are useless.
    -No lock target system, makes you
    look a retard playing.
    -Vergil voice lokes like some disney character, not that awsone badass voice of DMC3.
    -No table hooper.
    -Mundus don't scare anyone.
    -You don't have taunts. DMC 4 taunts are outstanding. Why not put in this one?
    -Combos are extremely easy, you don't motivates yourself to "learn" combos like in the orders DMC.
    -Weapons change in the middle os combat is mandatory.
    -Devil Trigger is horrible, you don't transform yourself into a badass demon from hell, with dark energy and incredible speed. You a slow time. ¬¬
    -You got a hell whip to push enemies and a angel whip to pull yourself. WTF!

If you think that I hating the game with no criterion, simple enter on you tube and search for: DMC 4 nero dango truestyle tournament
    DMC 4 nero blaze truestyle tournament

Then, you gonna now how a rellay badass game with a badass player looks like.

If this think not use Devil May Cry name, my score will be 6 or 7. But when you makes a game much worst that the 2 previous one, you have my total disregard. (sorry if I makes some writing mistakes, I still learning english)
  67. Mar 4, 2013
    I have never played other Devil May Cry games before, so I consider this a non-biased review. The combat system is deep, which is a good thing. There are countless ways to combo an enemy, and several abilities to be unlocked. The environment looks great, however the enemies seem to get a little repetitive. Boss fights are awesome, and not too tough to figure out. Many difficulty setting to keep you coming back for more. Campaign is 6-8 hours which is perfect for me. Everyone on here keeps comparing it to the "old Dante", which doesn't seem right to me. Give it a try. Expand
  68. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a bad game. When I first started it up the intro had me expecting a great experience. The games darker and stylish edge looked intriguing, and I was ready for the game to suck me in. But the moment I assumed control of Dante and battled my first enemy all optimism was sucked out of me. The combat just feels so lifeless and hollow, which is sad because it had the potential to be a thrilling experience because you have access to all your weapons at once and can switch between them at any time during combat which can lead to some pretty insane combos. But the combat just isn't fun and ruined the entire experience for me. On the plus side the game looks and sounds great, and the story is backed by fantastic voice acting. The story is interesting but ends on a dull note, and as for the new interpretation of Dante (oh, in case you didn't know, this is a reboot) I personally enjoyed his new style and personality. I really wanted to like this game, and honestly I was expecting to, but the boring combat brings down the whole experience. I liked the story, style, and the new Dante, they all just deserve a better game. Expand
  69. Jan 19, 2013
    The game is a fun game that allows for a multitude of combinations for various different combos in combat , its always thrilling when that SSS is on the screen for the whole fight ! This game in essence I think is great and really captures the essence of a good action game and should not be so throughly deteste by fans of the original Devil May Cry (2001) it is a solid entry and does its best to encoporate some of the combat elements of the original whilst reinventing itself. Why would Ninja Theory reboot it if they weren't going to change anything it would be absolutely pointless. Nonetheless there are a multitude of Pros and Cons for the game but overall I think this game is a well rounded game with a strong combat style, art style and will appeal to teenage audiences especially due to its new angsty thematics.
    Gameplay: 8.5 - Fluid (although not 60 fps) and fun combat with a nice variety to the way you can take the enemies out, it might not be the hardest game in the world but that's why you should aim for the top in terms of scores.
    Graphics and Presentation: 9: The new graphics and presentation style prove themselves to not just been some gimmick tacked on, as the world around you effectively becomes a part of the overarching narrative, and even if the story isn't perfect the voice acting is of a higher standard en general than in the previous devil may cry games. Lasting Appeal: 8.0: The game will last you an adequate amount of time in between all its challenges, score chasing and your first proper run through of the story to unlock stuff it will last you a long enough time if you let it! Summary: DMC offers a fresh take on a much beloved franchise, but I can't help but feel if these gameplay was implemented into a Devil May Cry 5 with the original Dante that this would have a higher user score - story aside and character design aside this is one of the best in the series... period.
  70. Jan 26, 2013
    Like most of the fans, I'm not the biggest fan of Dante's new look. But I decided to give the game a chance anyway. And it was...not bad. I didn't love it as much as the previous games, sure. But most of that was because I liked the characters of the former games more. Dante seems to have been made to appeal to today's "edgy" teenagers, and any time I started to grow slightly fond of him he spewed a line that instantly made me hate him again, and just made me miss old Dante's one-liner and not so serious attitude. But oddly enough, he wasn't the character I hated the most (though he's definitely a close second.). Nah, that had to be Kat. She was pretty useless at the start of the game, only being used to get in and out of Limbo, and mostly seemed to be shoved in as a half-hearted love-interest for Dante. The other characters weren't really much to write about either, and I missed it when Mundus was an all-powerful god-like demon. Not just one with a god complex. But enough **** about the characters. The things I did like was Limbo, a lot of the levels were very well designed and very cleverly made. Hell, I actually loved the platform sections! Things I usually despise in my hack-and-slash game. Another thing I loved was the combat, switching between angelic and demonic weapons was fluid and I was able to make some truly epic combos! Unfortunately, it was also rather easy to reach SSS level in style, and to stay on it too. You see, the meter only seems to deplete when you get hit, instead of it draining while you did nothing like in the old games. And if you pay a little attention, you can dodge the hits of most enemies easily. But later on, the combat became a bit annoying. They put two hard-hitting miniboss games together to make combat "harder", but not in a fun, challenging way, just...annoying. The boss fights were also pretty fun, but not really all that hard (and I swear that one came straight out of a Futurama episode), except for the last one. The last boss fight...fine, I won't spoil it. But it was damn awesome! As for the plot in general? Well, let's face it. The plot in the older games was always a little vague...This time, the plot is a little clearer! Allthough not all that memorable. And the writing? The dialogue was pretty awful if you asked me, I don't know if it was the voice acting or just the weak writing but the dialogue between Kat and Dante as they walk to the Slu-, erm, Virility factory made me cringe, and all the F-bombs Dante has to drop to seem like a grown man just make me want to punch him in the face... All in all, DmC is not a bad game. And although it doesn't deserve the glowing praise that some Critics give it, it certainly doesn't deserve the 0, 1 and 2 scores it gets on Metacritic either. I'd say it deserves a 7, at least for Limbo, the Combat and some of the Bosses. But the Characters and Writing can definitely use some improvement. (Oh, and PS. The Devil Trigger was SH!T, not only didn't you turn into some crazy angel/demon hybrid. It also lasted way too short.) Expand
  71. Jan 15, 2013
    Let me start: this is not DMC. No, i'm not a fanboy and i'm not saying that because i don't like Dante's hair. The whole game changed. The personality of the characters has changed completely. Vergil is not even recognizable. The heavy metal still cool as ever, but this time has to share its place with annoying dubsteps. The game is a lot easier and friendly to casual players(normal mode). Where's that difficulty that made the other games so remarkable ? The dialogue is bad, i mean REALLY BAD. Everything that comes out of Dante's mouth is either unfunny or just vulgar (NT thinks that Dante has to say disgusting words to be cool). No clever writers on this one, definitely. The graphics are quite good, and the dynamic "set pieces" in the scenarios are well made. The gameplay has good flow. The main problem of the game is not its overall quality (because, don't get me wrong, its a damn good action game) but the fact that is so much different from the other ones. We only had one "perfect" DMC (DMC 3), then Capcom put a new character as protagonist in DMC 4 and then they sell the franchise. The action sequences in DmC haven't even 1/6 of the coolness from the action scenes of the old DMC games. The jokes in this new game are shamefully BAAD. Where Dante tried to be cool, he ended up being stupid or jackass. DmC is flashy and colorful maybe to compensate the fact that it's empty. What made the franchise stand out to this day it's the characters and their mannerisms, cool dialogues, the very creative action scenes and the incredibly fun hardcore gameplay. Most of those qualities ,unfortunately, are now gone but at least we still have a very good action game, nonetheless. Expand
  72. Jan 19, 2013
    I'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view.
    For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying from
    various places, with beautiful colors. The combat is very easy to pick up and play, you can have fun creating combos, unlocking abilities, using the grapple in the platform stages, etc. The game follows the typical structure of video-combat-platforms-video again... the platforms are entertaining at first, and in some points of the later game, but in general their only purpose is to attach one combat with another while you unlock some secret stuff if you look around. The combat can entertain you the whole game because there are a lot of options creating combos but beware, the enemies are very easy to kill. The storytelling is well made, not complicated, not free of cliches but you may be interested on how it goes, and there are a few moments of the game very very well made, with lots of effort in them, but with places where it feels a little rushed. I would only recommend it if you really like what you have seen in videos and gameplays, if you are new to the hack and slash you will enjoy it, but consider that the replayability isn't the strong point in DMC, so you should consider rent it first. For the Devil May Cry fan: The Ninja Theory work is appreciated in the sense that they had the task of making the game dumbed for the masses (as Crapcom conditioned them for sure), changing Dante, and the mechanics entirely, this wasn't an easy job to do, and the result is a lot of closeups of the new Dante and nods (like the anonymous at the beginning) just to convince the people to like the new character, that reflects lack of self-confidence of Ninja Theory which is also reflected in many aspects of the game (I feel that Ninja Theory wanted to make the game less idiot than Crapcom wanted) the result? a very versatile combo system with potential but a very weak enemies to make the combos woth to pull off (with a broken style system),there aren't any puzzles on the game but they added a very easy exploration system with the keys (and closed paths that needs to be open with the later weapons just to make you come back and feel that need more exploration), a mechanic to make the enemies harder conditioning the use of different weapons to satisfy the casual challenge needs but a pain in the ass for the hack and slash players, a storytelling forced in some points just make it feel like if it were more like a devil may cry than a different game like (I consider) this, overall, I don't recommend this if you enjoy the hack and slash, is very-VERY easy, the enemies are poor in variety and there are lots of better options for the hack and slash genre. Expand
  73. Jan 16, 2013
    Don't you find it funny that there are so many negative scores so soon after release? It's unlikely that these people have finished the game let alone even played it considering how vehemently they seem to hate it. This is the one time I'm gonna say trust the professional reviews over the reader ones. Hey I guess sometimes anally distressed fanboys can be worse that official publications who knew. Either way damn solid game; even to anyone with distaste for it It should be at least a six. When Kabuki Warriors has a higher user score; you know you're dealing with dishonest biased opinions. "Demon's we know your game." Expand
  74. Jan 16, 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tieDOOhiDiI a brief summary of what I thought of the game, this does not have any spoilers but does talk about stuff later in the game. Overall I enjoyed this game and I wish it wasn't being unfairly judged, the combat is streamlined which I think is an overall good thing
  75. Jan 16, 2013
    I started playing this game and hated everything i was experiencing, but 4 hours later i was still playing and was enjoying myself. Truth be told once you get past the opening the game gets better and start to fall into its own. Although the games rated mature it's easy to see this is made for a teenage audience (not because of the content, but because of the presentation of said content), but i dont go to DMC for the story but for the fighting. That being said the mechanics for the fighting are fun, but on normal the game seems far too easy. As long as you dont go in expecting the old DMC's, this game delivers a fun new experience Expand
  76. Jan 16, 2013
    All the haters are people who have nothing real in their lives to worry about. If this new game is so bad just **** off and play the original games and stop crying like the little b*tches you are. The new game will find it's own audience without you... what a bunch of fecking **** Great game.
  77. Jan 16, 2013
    I personally love this game! I have been a fan of the franchise from the beginning and I honestly cannot understand the constant verbal bashing of this game, Ninja Theory or Capcom! It's an enjoyable game it plays well, it looks and sounds great It has a more of an in depth story than Anarchy reigns which you all probably voted to be fantastic getting (9.1 gamer reviews)!. I don't feel that game has ever made itself out to be it something that it's not. It still has all the "Devil May Cry" madness and weirdness about it. Remember people it's a REBOOT, remember and love the old DMC for what it was for it's time and give this new take on the franchise a chance by keeping an open mind! I say Well Done Ninja Theory and Capcom, I love It! Those that don't can just go back and play some more COD. Expand
  78. Jan 16, 2013
    There are only two types of negative reviewers for DMC: people who can't handle the content - and bots. This game has excellent gameplay, excellent narrative, great graphics. The combos are off the wall great and the controls are fluid. It's different from the other dmc games in terms of gameplay mechanics, but the meat and bones of it is still there.
  79. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is just... so... BORING. The game just feels flat. The environments are stylized and interesting but everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Not only are there large sections of platforming - which seemed to be more well-developed than the combat - but the controls aren't as fluid and satisfying as the previous games, even the first. The camera in the platforming sections performs well but in combat it really sucks. Often times I'll be trying to attack an enemy behind me and I'll have no idea where they are, I'm just shooting hoping in vain that Dante will direct me towards where they're at. On top of that, they made the grab gimmick from Nero even more central to the game, which I hated there. This game should have been marketed as a platformer because that's probably the best part about it. As an action game, especially with the DMC name (the one that set the standard to how action hack and slash are made today) it can't even compare to God of War, let alone the other Devil May Cry titles.

The story: Well, it has one which is more than what can be said about the other games. However, the characters in this game are so unlikable, so bland, that it's hard to be invested. The characters' motivation turns out to be really just simple revenge as the demons haven't proven to be a threat to mankind, they're just hiding among them. The shoehorned love interest when they tried so hard to establish that Dante is a player who can have wild threesomes with whatever girls he pleases, it makes no sense why he'd have any attachment to a girl who has no personality aside from being damaged goods.

Also, Dante's sudden 'nobility' to the cause is completely unbelievable as his attitude never changes - Dante gets powers but has no character arc, he just learns about his past. I say 'nobility' because he barely bats an eyelash as his brother blows the womb of woman, pauses to relish the moment, and then shoots her in the head.

For some final points: I don't think character design needs to be brought up, it's what everyone has said a hundred times: it's bad. Though the motion capturing was really well done. I can't help but cringe everytime I look at the main menu/every single mission screen with Dante pointing at his dick... nice Ninja. Oh, and thanks for that slap in the face with the white wig. Oh let me bring up how enemies work. You have to hit the red guys with the red weapons and the blue guys with the blue weapons! Really breaking the meta with this game, let me tell you. Overall, this game is a huge disappointment. The combat, style meter, weapons, heroes, engaging characters, interesting enemies (aside from the news caster), bosses, controls, camera, difficulty, atmosphere, are ll sub-par. The only thing this game excels at are level design, motion capturing, and platforming.
  80. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay for DmC is amazing. It’s much easier now to keep a combo going and seeing as your ranking doesn’t keep on dropping (once you haven’t hit an enemy in a while but are still in combat) its not a bad thing, but obtaining those “SSS” rankings at the end of a mission still gives you a great sense of achievement and just further proves how awesome you are at this game. Enemies in the game do vary and honestly make you want to switch between every single weapon (in the majority of fights) to keep building your combo and just improve your overall skills in the game. Platforming is a major factor in DmC, and seeing as you have angel and demon powers, you do actually feel more like a powerful demon rather than in every previous Devil May Cry game. I love gilding through the air and on to platforms and avoiding enemies moves using the angel evade. The devil powers just make you feel like a powerful badass and you can easily destroy most enemies in the game just by using your devil powers (bar the ones that require angel abilities to be killed). Your primary weapons are Rebellion and Ivory (granted Ebony Ivory are the weakest weapons in the game and are pretty much useless). I rarely found myself using the primary weapons at any point after the second mission. DmC actually has a story that you can follow and its a pretty decent story for a hack slash game. I’m not going to spoil anything, but if you’ve played any Devil May Cry game before then the same old stands that Vergil is the main villain in the game and more or less always will be. That’s probably the one thing that “true Devil May Cry fans” will approve of. Its also a perfectly paced game and it never gives you one dull moment, you just power up through the first few levels, enjoy great platforming sections, good boss battles and then have some good cutscenes in between.

I honestly wasn’t looking forward to this game seeing how much of a disappointment Devil May Cry 4 was, but I ended up loving it and so far I have replayed it 6 times and have 1000G’d it and even though the levels eventually become the same old same old, I always had to go back and gather all the collectables and then completing the hardest difficulty in the game which is “Hell and Hell” mode. There are also 21 secret mission to be completed, some of them are challenging but honestly they just give you more value to the overall experience and replay value that you will get out of DmC. Needless to say, I can’t wait for Ninja Theory’s next instalment in this DmC reboot.
  81. Jan 20, 2013
    Sure the game is made by people who don't like or even respect the DMC series, but the gameplay is solid. The fighting is easier, which makes you feel awesome right off the bat, but I eventually felt like I hit a skill ceiling, like there was little left to learn, and near the end it devolves into Simon Says forcing you to use specific weapons against specific enemies. Unlike previous DMC games where getting more skilled opens more options to the player as you realize what you are capable of, getting further in DmC felt more and more limiting. For this reason I say the game has no replay value and isn't long enough to be worth anywhere near $60. The level design was consistently one of the weakest parts of previous DMC games, but it's actually one of the strengths here. The environments are vibrant, imaginative, atmospheric, and mostly consist of fluid platforming instead of backtracking and puzzles. It however does feel like they were starting to run out of ideas in the later half of the game though. The characters in the game are however the weakest link. The game goes out of it's way to insult fans of the serise, so the amount of backlash this game receives comes as no surprise (Who thought that was a good idea?). Classic Dante was one of most likable and witty characters who approached fights with the same enthusiasm that the player experiences, but the new Dante comes across as apathetic, whiny, vindictive, and this attitude continues throughout the whole game lessening the entire experience. In fact everyone in the game comes across as a shallow jerk, except Kat. She's just feels tacked on just so the game can say it has a female character. All together the whole game comes across as juvenile, but Ninja Theory does have enough experience to make it coherent, and it never really feels "broken" at any point. Expand
  82. Jan 17, 2013
    I was bummed out when they decide to make a reboot but I was open minded. I'm glad I was because this game is amazing and the combat is tweaked for newcomers but as well for the hardcore audience with jump cancels ect. The new DmC actually explains and starts off with the origins and from there on they can develop there characters. It really is a amazing game and rivals God of War, Dantes Inferno, Bayonetta ect. I WANT THE SEQUEL ALREADY DAMNIT! Expand
  83. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about darn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game. Now.
  84. Jan 21, 2013
    This game was terrible. The combat was over simplified and the weapons were uncreative. You could go through the game by just using the axe. And the dialog is just atrocious. Ninja Theory thinks they can just go through the game dropping F-bombs to the point where it loses all meaning. This new Dante tries way too hard to be cool in a game that tries to hard to be serious. This was just a bad, unnecessary reboot. Expand
  85. Jan 28, 2013
    Lets start with the David Hume Quote in the trailer. Hume was an Atheist. His quote has NOTHING to do with Religion/Demons/Angels/etc. -face palm- That should tell you where this game is headed...So!
    LOOSE gameplay. DECENT Graphics. Terrible (ironic/hipster storyline). Its about "Evil" corporations (made by Capcom and Hipster-Theory).
    The director is a racist prick from Bollywood (Yes
    YOU Tameem)
    Angry Joe and the rest of the Guy with the Glasses Crew are morons. They're cashing in and trying to fit in with the big dogs (IGN, Gamespot, etc).
    It's funny because after Angry Joe made his review, random people have made accounts on here making "good" 10/10 reviews.
    Most of them appear to be COD-Tards, etc.
    Anyways. To the point.
    The New Dante is Terrible. Its as if Tameem imagined himself as a white emo-kid addicted to meth (like something out of Blood on the Dance Floor).
    Again, I can't stand racist pricks from other countries (in this case he's so HATEFUL and racist that he out right not only insulted the Fans but WESTERN culture in general. Keep in mind that I AM from the Middle East and I AM VERY Familiar with Bollywood. The new DMC is like if Bollywood tried to make a Matrix movie. LOL). Anyhow. Gameplay. Is decent. Worse than Odyssey to the West (saying alot).
    Frame-rate is terrible (Angry Joe is either blind or he has a better television than most folks).
    Controls are VERY loose. Voice Acting is AWFUL (other than Virgil. Virgil looked like a Hipster but was an OKAY character, as was Mundus). Character development is terrible.

Buy this game when its 9.99.
    Thats what I did with Ninja's last game (Odyssey) And I HATED Heavenly Sword.
    I wish that SONY had never bailed out Ninja Theory. They should've left those hipsters in the economic trash-bin that they deserved to be in. They made TERRIBLE movie games before all of this (LOOK UP THEIR STUDIO HISTORY, they MADE Catwoman the game , and that TERRIBLE game , Malice).

Seriously. I'm not an angry fan-boy. I'm just an educated gentleman who is familiar with Tameem's elitist mindset. He is the villain of the DMC story, which is ironic, but oh yes, he's also a hipster, so its SUPPOOOOSSSED to be Ironic.
  86. Jan 17, 2013
    C'Mon, boring and mediocre users at Metacritic. There's nothing wrong with the reboot of Devil May Cry. I saw it this morning on GameSpot and well...I agree what they are saying and critics definitely liked how the reboot inspires to the original DMC game in 2001. I played the demo and Capcom outdone themselves by recreating Dante and start to become a bad-ass all over the whole game. If you wanna give out negative feedback to fans, make sure you don't understand what you're talking about. DMC is one of the best reboots to kick start 2013 and if you don't believe me, wait till the reboot of Tomb Raider comes out. Expand
  87. Jan 18, 2013
    wow an amazing game, i really didnt expect it to be that great and was blown away. my expectations were really low and ive got to say its great. i loved the originals and havent seen a reason to hate on this one. so what if the character looks different? the new Lara croft looks different...i dont see people hating on that everywhere. I think people just jumped on the band wagon of hate for this game without even trying it. Expand
  88. Jan 25, 2013
    In typical fashion, Ninja Theory have created a title more concerned with visual flare than enjoyable gameplay or mechanical depth. Combat is weak, scoring system broken, boss fights are dull and the story is juvenile. There is nothing of merit to be found here.
  89. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is such as bad as rating says us. The combat is a slow joke - you can do SSS combos with just 1 button, the animation is just horrible. The plot is a mess and all characters are unlikable. Strongly suggest you to avoid this piece of crap for the good sake. Just play DMC3 once more instead. Here is where the real action is.
  90. Jan 20, 2013
    I think new DMC has a best fighting mechanics for today's slashers. Controls feels perfect. And if you're fail, you see where you fail.
    But it's a shortest DMC. It feels like 2 times shorter, than previous games. Story is unpolished and not intriguing even a bit, but true British punk Dante vs modern society is a fun concept.
    PS3 version has an annoying graphics issues.
  91. Feb 17, 2013
    This user score actually defines the term" metabombed.'It's a joke for this game to have such a low score. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Actually the fact that it doesn't have a lock-on feature is wildly inexcusable. As some have complained, why have two evades when you can add a lock on? Honestly, I can't truly give this game anything more than an 8 because of this horrible oversight. I'm giving it a 10, though, to meagerly help this score. I don't want to get into the thick of the game because everyone has done that already. If you liked DmC, buy this. It's great. I went back and played 1-3 to see what all these true fans are talking about. I disagree. Yeah it's not as magical as 1 or 3, and the combos are a bit too easy to chain. The angel weapon is virtually useless, and it's extremely annoying to be mandated when to use them. The demon weapon, on the other hand, is pretty great. I wish there were a few more combos that can be done with individual weapons. The story is pretty interesting. The character development is definitely interesting. I can't wait to see what Ninja Theory offers for their next installment in this series. I frankly would get this game just to get Vergil's Downfall, which looks absolutely amazing. By that, what I really mean is that Vergil as a character looks to have incredible abilities. And for those who are complaining about his hair. Don't worry, you can change it to white after you beat the game. But c'mon, guys, really? Complaining this much about hair color? I wish they kept their original version of Dante (he looked a lot darker, more sinister). Expand
  92. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has given me faith in game development, but unfortunately will go down as another flop thanks to the millions who became rabid for really dumb reasons and now we have a yet another ruined gamed thanks to these idiots. Congratulations to those who complained and attacked this game for every single reason they could make up, you won, and now what is really an awesome game will suffer the fate of crappy ones and another wound to the gaming industry has been opened.
    Pros- enhanced graphics with chaotic and beautiful environments, fast combat with endless ways to string combos together, heavy music, improved story and characters, great platforming that adds a new dynamic, multiple difficulties, lots of secrets.
    Cons- upgrades could have a little more depth and variety, additional weapons to play around with would be nice, a few bad scripted lines but no biggie, again the story has actually improved, crappy fan base, gamers today like destroying awesome things resulting in bad business practices/ layoffs/ series being ended, developers leaving and then go and complain when those things happen.
  93. Mar 8, 2013
    The new Dante isn't THAT bad, the games looks, feels and sounds fantastic. The story is ok, but the game is incredibly fun. I did want to hate this too, but I loved it. One of the best games I've played in a while and highly recommended.
  94. Feb 24, 2013
    DMC is a great "new start" for Devil May Cry Series!
    The story is more mature, and tell the story of Dante's Family perfectly!
    And with the contents for DLC: "Vergil's Fall" and the "Tower of Battle", the "new and old" costumes for Dante and visual of his guns and swords too, the game gain more replay factor, hours of gameplay, and make happy the guys that dont like much this "new"
    Dante, and the guys who like, too!
    The music and art of this game, is a masterpiece! Great moments in all game!
    A fantastic experience for new players, and the more traditional fans of DMC series!
    Ninja Theory, and Capcom, congratulations for this game! And continue this partnership work!
  95. Jan 19, 2013
    I was very skeptical about DmC. Frankly, I was mostly ambivalent about the original titles and I thought the reboot concept was beneath Ninja Theory's taste-level. Rarely am I this happy to have been so wrong. I finally "get" the beauty of the original elements, while Ninja Theory busted their ass to take the existing themes and elevate them to a new level. Let me just say this - give this game an hour of your time and it will make you a believer. Give it another hour and it will make you a fan. Oh, and PS - Never before have I seen a game have to endure this level of trolling... criticisms of DmC are glaringly vague and stubbornly tired. Really? All of you bought the game on release day, played it through, and came to the conclusion that it sucked? Why do I find that so suspicious? How about you stop clutching your pearls over all the cosmetic changes and kiss Ninja Theory's ass for fixing your otherwise B Grade franchise. Expand
  96. Jan 16, 2013
    Played the demo of DMC , the new Devil May Cry / DMC 5 / DMC Reboot whatever , the combat is quite fun , there are so many diverse move sets to use chaining combos , but this acts as a double edged sword as performing them during quick combat is quite annoying , since there are air attack , air shoots , air grabs , air pulls , air melee , air melee secondary , on top of that these have ground variants & also there is the added pain of 2 different types of dodging moves.

Emo dante is cool [ not bad as i thought ] , i played DMC 3 i guess but he wasn't that talkative but now he talks just the right amount , however when conversations happen , the dialogs are just trash talk compared to conversations i would expect from a title called DMC , consider the game as Spider-Man in a less that serious demonic world , the BGM for both the demo levels was decent , nothing exceptional.

The Graphics were awesome but after i turned off the game my eyes were a bit watery & felt some blur or sorts until i washed them .

I Would still choose Ninja Gaiden Sigma / Sigma 2 / Ninja Gaiden 2 as my favorite hack N slash action games , the deadly vibe around the atmosphere is just to brilliant along with the overall seriousness & urgency of situation.

DMC is good but areas feel empty , well at least in the demo anyway & lack of good BGM makes that even more noticeable , at least in Ninja Gaiden , rain , flowing water , lively forests covered up the fact that you are alone till the next group of enemies strike but here i got bored a bit , though the game is entertaining , but for me not worth the price capcom have slapped on it .
  97. Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry to all the fans that were let down by this game but it isnt a zero if you put zero your ignorant because this game could be worse go play et then tell me which is zero bottom line is games are going through a change and people dont like it and capcom seems to be falling not the case in my eyes or critics devil may cry pushes boundaries and this games story is pretty good the visuals are also top notch and combat is fluent and can keep up with older installments in enjoyment it could improve in areas but is no way shape or form a 5or under sorry traditonal game fans its time for change and this is a step in the right direction Expand
  98. Jan 17, 2013
    DMC 5 is the best dmc game ever.... stunning graphics... awesome gameplay.. great work ninja theory.. amazing level designing.... fine story...but still the best....game ever in the history of hack and slash games....
  99. Jan 17, 2013
    This is NOT a game for pure DmC fanboys, if you are one of em just stay away from it or you will end up kid-raging and giving it a 0 like most of the other kids are doing here. However if you are an open minded gamer and would like to try out one of the most polished and visually stunning hack n slack of the last years just go on and get it, you won't regret it.
  100. Jan 17, 2013
    I enjoyed this a game a lot. Being a hardcore dmc game since the first when the reboot was announced i was pissed. Then as time went on i saw the game play which stayed true to the old games while keeping it fresh. I gave it a try and it has some over the top action like in the old ones. I think that any old hardcore dmc fan would enjoy this alot if they just gave it a chance.
  101. Jan 16, 2013
    You won't find any of that in DmC. But let's start with
    the rare high notes:

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.