5.2

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry to all the fans that were let down by this game but it isnt a zero if you put zero your ignorant because this game could be worse go play et then tell me which is zero bottom line is games are going through a change and people dont like it and capcom seems to be falling not the case in my eyes or critics devil may cry pushes boundaries and this games story is pretty good the visualsSorry to all the fans that were let down by this game but it isnt a zero if you put zero your ignorant because this game could be worse go play et then tell me which is zero bottom line is games are going through a change and people dont like it and capcom seems to be falling not the case in my eyes or critics devil may cry pushes boundaries and this games story is pretty good the visuals are also top notch and combat is fluent and can keep up with older installments in enjoyment it could improve in areas but is no way shape or form a 5or under sorry traditonal game fans its time for change and this is a step in the right direction Expand
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    DMC 5 is the best dmc game ever.... stunning graphics... awesome gameplay.. great work ninja theory.. amazing level designing.... fine story...but still the best....game ever in the history of hack and slash games....
  3. Jan 17, 2013
    This is NOT a game for pure DmC fanboys, if you are one of em just stay away from it or you will end up kid-raging and giving it a 0 like most of the other kids are doing here. However if you are an open minded gamer and would like to try out one of the most polished and visually stunning hack n slack of the last years just go on and get it, you won't regret it.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    I enjoyed this a game a lot. Being a hardcore dmc game since the first when the reboot was announced i was pissed. Then as time went on i saw the game play which stayed true to the old games while keeping it fresh. I gave it a try and it has some over the top action like in the old ones. I think that any old hardcore dmc fan would enjoy this alot if they just gave it a chance.
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    I told myself so many times that I'd hate this game for the longest time, and I 'knew' it would be horrible. However, by the time of Nov. 2012, I decided that I was, in fact, excited by a new DMC, and I preordered it (partially to get the amulet). Now, I played the demo so much that I actually rarely played the full games I did own. The game's story seems pretty good to me, because II told myself so many times that I'd hate this game for the longest time, and I 'knew' it would be horrible. However, by the time of Nov. 2012, I decided that I was, in fact, excited by a new DMC, and I preordered it (partially to get the amulet). Now, I played the demo so much that I actually rarely played the full games I did own. The game's story seems pretty good to me, because I honestly don't care if something is cliched, so long as it works, and I personally enjoyed the story. Now, to the points of my review:

1. Dante, and the other characters, received as much, if not more, character development in this one game than they did through the entirety of the other four games. Don't get me wrong, I will always love the original four, especially DMC3, but this one did a great job developing characters.

2. The combat was much better. I was never incredible at the other Devil May Cry games, honestly just because I never have been good at pulling off complex combos (like in fighting games and such), so this one made me feel like I was incredible at the game, and I've even begun learning how to do some very complex combos too. More accessible.

3. No backtracking.

4. Darker. The setting befit a game centered around half demons and a world overrun by Hell.

5. The soundtrack. I absolutely loved the soundtrack to this game.

My only gripe is the length, I wish it took me longer than ten hours to beat.
  6. Jan 17, 2013
    It makes me sad to see that this game is being Metabombed for all the wrong reasons. First, this game is fantastic. The new story is more believable and much less Japanese. The action is fun, fast, and challenging (though not too difficult). The environments are imaginative and the stages are fun to play.

What you need to understand is that this game is a reboot. That means it has

What you need to understand is that this game is a reboot. That means it has little in common with its predecessors. If you're a fan of the old DMC, you have 4 great games you can play. If DMC always seemed a bit odd or difficult, this is the one you'll want. Ninja Theory has done a great job keeping the combat accessible while retaining depth. If you want to just mash your way through big fights, you can do that (assuming you're on easy). If you want to do insane, spectacular customized combos, you can do that too. Fans of the series have been in an uproar ever since seeing new Dante doesn't have white hair. Now they're mad that the new game isn't soul-crushingly difficult. So they come on Metacritic and try their best to destroy this game. If you compare this game to other games in the DMC franchise, its very different. If you compare this game to other games in general, it stands well above most. Listen to the critics, not the haters.
  7. Jan 17, 2013
    Soooo many cry babies. It's interesting how many people can't grow up and try something new. I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Allow us to look at Devil May Cry's history.
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming
    Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming
    Devil May Cry 4 - Aka MGS2 or Halo 2.

DmC is a very good game. Best story in the series where the story is almost nonexistent. Gameplay is better than Devil May Cry 1,2, and 4. Unfortunately it's the Unreal Engine, but for the Unreal Engine it's actually pretty nice. Dante's look is fine. I was tired of the Sephiroth/Raiden-esqe look that Dante had. New Dante doesn't smoke cigs and unlike the first Dante who doesn't get it in with females or it's assumed, New Dante gets it in before the game started. Awesome. Game is good. Give it a shot. 2nd best game in the series in my opinion. Devil May Cry 3 is definitely number 1. DmC is number two on the list. Stop crying.
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is a very stylish game, with unique combos, and an amazing combat system. The new DMC is simply better than the rest, because the setting is much more likable, and the graphics are very stylish and likable as well. Three good words that can describe this game is stylish, badass, and sexy.
  9. Jan 18, 2013
    it just amazing game with considering that change date appearance but still quite beautiful
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    The reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. TheyThe reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. They were so unsure about adding Nero into the series, so they decided to keep Dante in the game so the fans will outgrow the Nero situation. They handed it over to Ninja Theory instead of being hesitant, they put someone else to take the blame. Ninja Theory decided to reboot the series, make a clearer backstory even if it's corny(Everybody is. Suck it up, people.)

Konami have already done this. Look at Silent Hill, Without KCET(Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo) & Akira Yamaoka, it will never be Silent Hill again.

Squaresoft/SQUARE-ENX have already done this, too: Final Fantasy, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu & **** Amano(Yes, did you notice the BG Signature logo of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy: Flying Brigade & Final Fantasy: All The Bravest? **** Amano doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.) Final Fantasy will never be awesome.

Graphics? It's never been about the graphics. If you want it to be about the graphics then wait for the Windows PC version, maximize your settings just to calm down your AA OCD.

I gave it a 10. Why? I love Devil May Cry. Giving it a low score is like giving a middle finger to the entire Devil May Cry franchise. If you feel that this franchise is dying, stop being a hypocrite-- I KNOW YOU'LL PLAY THE NEXT ONE then post something negative about it.
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    I want to say I'm a fan of the entire series, been playing Devil May Cry since game 1, and I love this game. The children who cannot get past that this isn't a continuation of the original game series is simply astounding. The number of people who have not played this game, and the few that have that either have no idea what they are talking about or simply are not giving the game itsI want to say I'm a fan of the entire series, been playing Devil May Cry since game 1, and I love this game. The children who cannot get past that this isn't a continuation of the original game series is simply astounding. The number of people who have not played this game, and the few that have that either have no idea what they are talking about or simply are not giving the game its chance in the lime light is staggering to say the least. This. Game. Is. A. Reboot. The original Dante? STILL THERE. Just not in this game. Why are you basing THIS game with a basis on the past games? and further why are you using it negatively for the purpose of "this isnt the original dmc." Its a Known Fact that its not the original series, that this is a reboot of the game series. Why are you using that as fire power when it has NOTHING to do with this game? The only thing the title should be used for in critiqueing is does it match the same style as previous games? Does it bring something fresh to the series? Is the game Fun to play? is the art good? production values? This is how you rate a game, not all these 0's and garbage 10 second reviews that are claiming it gave the game a chance when they clearly didnt let it breathe. As a fan, I want it clearly known, this is not the original Dante, nor Devil May Cry. Its a reboot, and I absolutely love it. I did NOT like that he was a sex crazed teenager who needs to grow up, but I can handle that, as the rest of the game thoroughly entertains me. The art is simply beautiful, and the stage design and scenery have been fantastic. Just like the PS3 Castlevania was a reboot, and all the children went off complaining about that because it wasnt traditional Belmont vs Dracula as they previously knew, I loved it too, because it was a well done game.

If you aren't a little whiny baby, and want to play an excellent game with Devil May Cry thematic idea? Pick this up, cause its worth it.
  12. Jan 20, 2013
    Don't list to most of the trolls on here- DmC is a fantastic game. It's right up there with Devil May Cry 1 and 3 - and is arguably better in some regards (the story is more coherent and the writing/voice acting is FAR better). The only complaint I could see people having is that the initially available difficulty modes are a bit easy for the franchise- but hardcore modes open up onceDon't list to most of the trolls on here- DmC is a fantastic game. It's right up there with Devil May Cry 1 and 3 - and is arguably better in some regards (the story is more coherent and the writing/voice acting is FAR better). The only complaint I could see people having is that the initially available difficulty modes are a bit easy for the franchise- but hardcore modes open up once you've completed the story once. All in all, great game that is only getting bashed by fanboys who are sour that Dante has a hair cut like a human punk instead of a cartoony anime character Expand
  13. Jan 21, 2013
    This game is a great entry in the series. I am a veteran of the DMC series and DmC does not disappoint. If you haven't tried this game for yourself, give it a shot and don't let the negative reviews spook you. Most hate directed towards this game is from Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise, not the game itself. It has all of the modes, replayability and difficulty (on higherThis game is a great entry in the series. I am a veteran of the DMC series and DmC does not disappoint. If you haven't tried this game for yourself, give it a shot and don't let the negative reviews spook you. Most hate directed towards this game is from Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise, not the game itself. It has all of the modes, replayability and difficulty (on higher levels) of the previous games. I loved the art style and the way the story was presented as well. It's worth playing. Get to it' Expand
  14. Yes
    Jan 22, 2013
    This game got a zero because "Dante" has black hair. I'm a TRUE fan of DMC, and this game is what I call a disgrace. I don't care about the gameplay because all I care about is the change in his hair color, which makes this the worst game ever.
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    As an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. IAs an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. I liked the character and felt it was a great reboot of the franchise. A younger Dante will attract younger games as many people like myself who were teenagers when the first game came out are now in our late twenties and sadly are no longer the target market for the franchise. I do think it is extremely interesting the difference between used scores and critic scores. I am sure if this game had been the very first game of the franchise it would have been loved but fans hate it when their favourite characters are messed with. Personally i think those of the younger generation will love this game alot more than those of us who have grown up with the white haired dante for many years. I did not like the mention of the word nephilim and am sure it was even misspelled. A nephilim is actually a child of an angel and a human not a demon and a human so that was actually wrong. I would have given this game a 9 out of 10 but as i can see it only has a 4 in 558 rating which is totally wrong i am inclined to give it a 10. I must say that the people marking this game down really need to relax and enjoy a good attempt to reboot an amazing franchise. Expand
  16. Jan 23, 2013
    I'm trying to even up the scores a bit here cause this game doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I can promise you that if this game had a different name it would have so much more praise. The game is fun but people just don't like change they want the characters to stay the same and the game play to not evolve. I don't like the new Dante as much as the old one but that doesn't mean the gameI'm trying to even up the scores a bit here cause this game doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I can promise you that if this game had a different name it would have so much more praise. The game is fun but people just don't like change they want the characters to stay the same and the game play to not evolve. I don't like the new Dante as much as the old one but that doesn't mean the game is automatically bad. Try it out and stop acting like **** who want everything their own way, not even caring about how much time and effort Ninja Theory put into the game to create their own take on the DmC universe. Expand
  17. Jan 24, 2013
    This game is nothing but a bad experience.

Good- Nothing Bad- -It's a game that tried to be devil may cry but could not -Dumbed down combat for casual gamers -Change of artstyle from japanese to western, one useless change, the fanbase liked the japanese artstyle -Now a stain on the name of devil may cry that will never be erased, thank you Capcom. -Pandering to the wrong people,
    This game is nothing but a bad experience.

Good-
    Nothing
    Bad-
    -It's a game that tried to be devil may cry but could not
    -Dumbed down combat for casual gamers
    -Pandering to the wrong people, you don't pander to the fanbase you already own with **** you!" or killing a baby.
    -Soundtrack is meh
    -Nothing new
    -------------------------
    Capcom does it again killing another game, like Megaman.

Oh capcom, there's literally no hope for you, might aswell... "abandon all hope".
  18. Jan 24, 2013
    Capcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game theCapcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game the credit it deserves and play the game on Son of Sparda, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell and Dante Must Die before you pitch the OBVIOUS lie that you can "smash triangle over and over and get a SSS". Frankly, most the fans are just crybabies that expected something revolutionary from a title that never was revolutionary to begin with. Get over yourself and enjoy the game for what it is or don't buy the game at full price if you're iffy about it in the first place. You all had the option to wait until the price came down but chose full price, first day release just to **** about something that was expected in the first place. Expand
  19. Jan 24, 2013
    I dont usually write on reviews. But I can't take this too much hate for DMC. This game is GREAT! It's a REBOOT for God's sake! Stop being FANBOYS be open for change :) . If you dont play this. You will miss half of your life! ;)
  20. Jan 28, 2013
    bad gameplay, (L2 and R2 for the weapon like L1 and R1 for the catastrophic heavenly sword) bad story, bad design, too easy, too classic, too bored too disinfect, This is not a devil may cry
  21. Feb 3, 2013
    If you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit moreIf you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit more casual, the scenarios are amazing and the overall presentation of the game is great. To be honest, I was a great DmC fan, I finished all three first of them, but the fourth one, even tho it was amazingly well done, it was boring to the point that I just stopped playing it near the end, this one has a fresh story, characters and background, it makes you feel like its an evolution of the game rather than just another chapter. Expand
  22. Feb 19, 2013
    I just finished the game and i found it amazing Don't hate it because they change the character or anything else of course they will it is a reboot. The studio made a great game and they certainly don't deserve an average score of 4.1 This game at least deserves an 8.5
  23. May 19, 2013

Rented it. So lets start from there, I'm also a fan of the other 4 and this type of game.

-1 For the need to replay
    -1 For the storyline

Otherwise weapons, monsters, comboing and challenges are pretty fun.
    Music is spot on.
    Voice acting is ok, not great but not bad.
  24. Feb 9, 2013
    Wow, there's a lot of people hating on the game, calling BETRAYAL and stuff. To me DMC 4 was an awful installment of the series. And it was obvious, that they need to do something different with next DMC. They did! And OMG its a great game. I love the Dante character. His jokes were top notch and i've found his one-liners awesome. I love the turn the game makes in story department, cause,Wow, there's a lot of people hating on the game, calling BETRAYAL and stuff. To me DMC 4 was an awful installment of the series. And it was obvious, that they need to do something different with next DMC. They did! And OMG its a great game. I love the Dante character. His jokes were top notch and i've found his one-liners awesome. I love the turn the game makes in story department, cause, lets be serious, DMC franchise doesent made any sense. While this one is an awesome start for new DMC. Expand
  25. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
  26. Jan 27, 2013
    I think this game is not for the hard core fan. I never played any DMC games before this one. I feel like most of the reviews that are bad on here are from the hardcore fans that don't like the changes. So far I am loving it. I am about halfway through from what i can tell, so keep that in mind, but the game play is fun, the fighting is only as stale as you make it, and the story soI think this game is not for the hard core fan. I never played any DMC games before this one. I feel like most of the reviews that are bad on here are from the hardcore fans that don't like the changes. So far I am loving it. I am about halfway through from what i can tell, so keep that in mind, but the game play is fun, the fighting is only as stale as you make it, and the story so far is really well done. It FEELS like its building up to something really good, and every level seems like its epic in it own way. If there is a huge let down, or something charges, ill change my score. So far though really loving the game. Expand
  27. Jan 26, 2013
    I loved dmc devil may cry. The story is alot better then previous games simply because the was more depth. In previous games characters just pop up out of nowhere, just like vergil did in dmc3. Dmc4 had nero. As awesome as he was, he also popped up out of nowhere. This dmc gave structure to dante. He was pretty much an orphan and in the game discovers his true identity. He discovers thatI loved dmc devil may cry. The story is alot better then previous games simply because the was more depth. In previous games characters just pop up out of nowhere, just like vergil did in dmc3. Dmc4 had nero. As awesome as he was, he also popped up out of nowhere. This dmc gave structure to dante. He was pretty much an orphan and in the game discovers his true identity. He discovers that he has a twin (Vergil) and that his mother and father were angel and demon. So discover he is a hybrid (nephilim).
    The game's story is also about the corrupted world and how banks and energy companies control humans. This is much like the real conspiracy which I liked about the game.
    Yes people complained about Dante not having white hair. Well he is a young Dante so he is yet to discover his true potential.
    The combat is fast and smooth. Only thing I miss in the version is the stylish gun play and the running up walls etc.

This is a great game and people who moan about this game are the ones who just love to moan.
  28. Jan 23, 2013
    You should really play this game with an open mind. Forget about the past Devil May Cry games and play this as if a new. It is a reboot after all, all the negativity for this game is the change, and the differences when you should expect it in a reboot. Ninja Theory did a great job on this game, it's not perfect, but it certainly isn't a 0/10 that many users are posting.
  29. Feb 9, 2013
    This is an excelent reboot for the series. The combat is fun and recognizable so its not trying to be a whole new game which is good. The voice acting is great all around but most importantly the story. We get to see dante right as he learns who he is and that he has a brother. We see what starts there feud and get an understanding of there parents and background. Theresmore platformingThis is an excelent reboot for the series. The combat is fun and recognizable so its not trying to be a whole new game which is good. The voice acting is great all around but most importantly the story. We get to see dante right as he learns who he is and that he has a brother. We see what starts there feud and get an understanding of there parents and background. Theresmore platforming than id like but this is a great way to restart the series. No goofy overly cheesy crap that the original team was starting to do giving the game a great feel. I have nothing to complain about. It all flows so well. This game was great under ninja theory Expand
  30. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The story is quite intriguing, mature, gritty, dark and forms a perfect prequel for DMC3. Yeah I know it's a reboot but it just fits perfectly together.
    Profanity is there, but there are also some moments in there that made me feel angry like Dante and sad or completely ''WTF?!''-ed like Dante. The characters are good and there is decent to very
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very good voice acting. And there IS humor. And the white wig joke was hilarious. Offending?! Seriously?! Nah...
    Soundtrack is BRUTAL and it doesn't make my ears bleed like in MGR:Revengeance, but that's just different taste in music. And I feel bad for NOISIA that the haters think that dubstep is only Skrillex.
    And you don't have the same battle song playing over again, and again, and again like in DMC3 4. Because sometimes I would stop playing, and play games with a better soundtrack DMC3 did have best ost material, but for me it was overshadowed by ''poser industrial techno metal''). Now we have Combichrist!
    Combat is fluid, smooth and has the old school DMC flare. It does lack an amount of extra moves which really is a bummer. And I didn't had any problem with DT. And there are always ways to play stylish instead of using trinity smash. Hell, DMC3 had DT Flux for Instant SSS. Vergil could be your with Royalguard. Forgotten about that huh? Combos can be linked with each other much more faster and smoother.
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    Difficulty could be kicked up a little bit, but you've always got SOS, DMD, HOH, HAH, Vergil's Downfall Bloody Palace for more replay value.
    The 30fps is really noticeable when you play with A/V cables on PS3, but on HDMI it's smooth like butter.
    I still think that the majority of the haters are still the ones who were extremely pissed at all those trailers. And didn't play this game with an open mind and still got their Nostalgic Goggles on while whining about everything. Saying that everyone should buy 4 HD Collection.
    DMC4 is superior in gameplay, but felt extremely rushed and was rushed. Bland anime story, hideous soundtrack( except for the song you hear during the Goddess Statue the 2nd half and Nero. I haven't touched it ever since I've got DmC. But hey...the haters got their way. This game didn't sell very well.
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    If DmC had the lock-on for extra input commands...DmC would be on par with DMC3 for real. Maybe even beat it.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees
  31. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is best described as a mediocre to poor beat em up, Hack and Slash game.
    This is game is fun for a couple hours and then its gets down right boring. it is a good rental to pass time or perfect for guilty pleasure and I strongly recommend to avoid buying this game above $20. It is a game designed for those who are not aware of this genre. But even then it holds your hands and the difficulties make you question the mindset of the developer.

The game pales in comparison to its predecessors. DMC3/4 has been known to be the most intricate and in-depth juggernaut of the hack and slash genre, and now DmC has turned into a regular beat em up game that has the quality of a PSN game. The graphics may initially look pretty, but its gets painful at the eyesoring colors and brightness. The frames really drop to 20s, which may be a PS3 thing and ruins the game. The boss battles are the worst offenders in the list, which is filled with countless cutscenes to break game flow and lack of inspiration or innovation.

The platforming is the only things that I enjoyed due to it pulling me out of the dull, one-dimensional combat. Other than a couple of tracks, the entire soundtrack is forgettable. The story is very pretentious, and melodramatic, filled with unexplained plot points. at least DMC knew it was cheesy but DmC was just hollow. reminded me of Twilight in some occasions.

It is sad that DMC1 inspired god of war and DmC is now trying to be like god of war, which it fails even at that. considering the fact that the cutscenes clock around 3hrs, with most of them unskippable, the gameplay is only 2-3hrs. So the game can be done in one sitting for a person with any skill level. The replay value is pointless since they tacked on difficulties that barely test you and the combat is VERY repetitive, to the point of being just rinse and repeat. There is no room for experimentation or finding new ways to play the game.
    To put this in perspective, DMC4 which came out in 2008 has better frames, crispier graphics and a combat engine that is still unrivaled to this date and after 6yrs we are left with DmC. Such a shame.
  32. Jan 18, 2013
    So yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've enteredSo yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've entered True Style Tournament twice.
    (if you dont know what TST is you are not a hardcore fan) I was curious on Ninja Theory's take on my beloved series and i saw the first artworks of Dante i was shocked and mad at NT for defiling DMC like that but after they changed Dante into what he is now in the actual game he kind of grew on me. Looking back now he actually looks less emo now than he did in dmc3 (where he had this screamo band leadsinger haircut only in white) Regarding his attitude i dont see a real difference, Dante has always been snappy, cracking cheesy 1 liners occasionally, he is just a little more hostile now, feeling lost in this crazy world not knowing why he has super powers, where he belongs or what he really is.
    It fits the character design very well. He evolves during the course of the story and becomes more concious and caring towards the end. Ok now that i've made my point about the design lets talk about the actual game itself.
    First the Level Design is just brilliant. I've never seen anything like it before in any videogames. The levels constantly change and shift as dante goes in and out of limbo, its just pure genius and deserves the uttmost respect for the level designers.
    The soundtrack is also great with combichrist's massive riffs pushing you forward and it also feels like they stayed true to the old games mixing in electronic drumloops and modern cuts (seriously check out Pull the Pin its just awesome), while noisia provide dark and grimey ambient bits that just feel on point wherever they are used.
    The Story of the game is predictable and kinda stolen from They Live but i dont mind too much. It has been a while since i've played a video game with an original story and also the succubus and virility has clearly been ripped from Futurama (Slurm anyone?), but hey the stories of the old dmc games or even the anime just feel stupid compared to this one. It's like preferring Tim Burton's Batman Movies to The Dark Knight Trilogy. The old ones (though being good at the time) just dont hold up anymore.
    The Combat and the Platforming is where this game really shines. As I've said before, i know DMC combat mechanics like the back of my hand but the fluidity and the simplicity of this game's combat are really exceptional. Yes they have been dumbed down in a way but its for the better. It looks great and plays even better. Juggling enemies, jump cancelling and mixing combos to raise the Style meter has never felt this good. From a professional POV I'd say the Skillcap is much lower than in previous entries but the score system transparency makes up for it. I can work on perfect runs in Hell and Hell Mode because honestly Dante Must Die is too easy for me. It will keep me going even now that i have the Platinum bagged. The platforming also gives you room to breathe and time for your fingers to relax it provides a break from the action and allowes you to marvel at the level design and the animations.
    Ninja Theory have done a remarkable job in reviving the dmc series. They created a character that is more grounded in the real world, a soundtrack that keeps you pumped and motivated, a combat system that makes it easier for newcomers to get into while still giving the pros something to practice and perfect. Go play this game, dont listen to the butthurt fanbois who are stuck in the past for all the wrong reasons. They are just copypasting youtube comments and rating this game a "0" because the main character's hair is not white anymore. Seriously sometimes im ashamed to call myself a gamer seeing how immature and stupid some people here are.

I rate this game a 9/10.
  33. Jan 20, 2013
    Whatever your stance on rebooting the series, DmC is a great game built to respect the core of the original series.

Travel back a few months ago and you
  34. Feb 14, 2013
    A gigantic middle finger to all fans of the real DMC games. It seems Ninja Theory realised all the points fans liked about the games and turned every single one into god awful crap just to show us they could. It's like Mass Effect 3 endings. Well played good sirs, you're not getting a cent out of me ever again.
  35. Jan 29, 2013
    Gosh, so much negative press! You'd think "hardcore gamers", or in deed men at all, wouldn't get so worked up over a hairstyle!

Anyway, I really liked this game. Better story than 1, much more diverse than 4 but not as unforgiving as 3, it really hits the sweet spot when it comes to stylish sword and gunplay. A really good first effort, but having said that the next one needs to be a

A really good first effort, but having said that the next one needs to be a tad more challenging
  36. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  37. Feb 8, 2013
    It is such a shame that this game has not been judged in it's own right. What is even more of a shame is that bitter fans are trying to trick newcomers into avoiding the game by giving it ridiculously low scores.

The game is not without fault- I agree that the combat is certainly more simplified than previous iterations and the lack of target lock-on can frustrate, but neither of these elements are anywhere near as detrimental to the experience as angry fans would have you believe.

Dante's arsenal is varied enough to allow finesse, without feeling overwhelming. The angel weapons feel slick and fluid while their demonic counterparts are weighty and impactful The platforming elements are for the most part intuitive and smooth, while allowing for a more leisurely viewing of the game's incredibly creative environments, without bringing the pace to a grinding halt.

The characters are well rounded and engaging and the acting is great. The playful and often humorous approach to the world does not detract from the more serious moments of the game, and Ninja Theory have managed to make a story involving nephilims and limbo feel relatable and current.
  38. Mar 9, 2013
    A good hack and slash game that is in my opinion, better than Dmc4. The combat and story is great, and even though Dante isn't as cool as he was before, this version of him is much more human. Although, they did antagonise old Devil May Cry fans in the beginning, which is frankly quite a bad creative decision.
  39. Feb 15, 2013
    In order to fully articulate how much of a disappointment this game is, one needs to fully understand the scope of what was lost in the original series of games.

---Gameplay--- The Devil May Cry franchise was a slow but steady research and development project into the new world of a genre it created (The Stylish Action genre). DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to

---Gameplay---

DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to change styles or firearms on the fly. It did, however, allow the player to lock on to targets, something which "DMC" is lacking. DMC2: Expanded upon the options by allowing the player to change firearms during play and capitalised upon a nuance of the older game by allowing mid air juggling.

DMC3: Expanded even further by allowing the player to change devil arms on the fly whilst also introducing styles, albeit these styles were fixed per mission. The pseudo 2 player mode in the form of doppelganger was also a nice touch.

DMC4: As it's predecessors had done, expanded further by introducing a throw mechanic in the form of Nero's devil bringer and of course brought with it something new to the table in the form on-the-fly style change mechanics.

"DMC": TOOK A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS.
    So far in some aspects that it completely missed the point of the genre it was trying to reboot.
    - No lock on, which is really handy when trying not to fall to your death or shooting the projectile firing enemies at the back.
    - Combos that can be broken by accidental input on certain enemies.
    - Combos that can be broken by a certain enemy walking in the way of an attack.
    - Limiting attacking options by rendering weapons to a 'more dangerous than unusable state'. Stylish gauge that is easy to fill. (Mash one button)
    - Enemy juggles that allow the main character to essentially fly.
    - Making monotonous tasks stylish.
    - Making once monotonous but now cleared tasks contribute to your rank in higher difficulties, gimping the difficulty in getting an overall S rank and escaping the point of the difficulties in the first place.

---PLOT---
    DMC's strong point was never really plot nuances, although it had it's good moments. It had it's shockingly bad moments though (Like a plane falling through the ceiling at the right time letting the two protagonists escape: DMC1).
    Also, the franchise was going to suffer from the superman problem: "How do we write a story that is challenging for a character who is essentially to strong for everybody to handle".
    We saw this problem essentially culminate in DMC2 and the solution was a prequel, DMC3.
    They struggled a bit with DMC4 because Dante was essentially too strong, so they had to nurf him a little in some respects and by giving us a new character who was similar but different, it allowed the player to experience mortality.

"DMC" went straight for the jugular by thinking that Dante needed roughing up and bringing down a peg or two, which literally took place in the trailers.
    The in game plot was a hash of references to the old material whilst also trying to be political, edgy and fashionable. Re: F*cking swearing Wise cracking, since when?
    Dante lives in a trailer and hates humanity? Who is he a Martin Riggs addicted to meth?
    Dante is the son of an angel and a demon? Who is he Little Nicky on crack?
    Dante passes between limbo and the real world? Who is he, a tweaking John Constantine?
    Dante has a brother who wants to rule the world and tricks him into fighting on his side? Who is he, a Junkie Solid Snake?

No he is DMC Dante, the kind of guy who asks the questions the audience is asking like: "How did my coat get on the Ferris-wheel", we all know how Dante, lazy shoehorned writing.

When all is said and done, it has brought us one undeniable fact, don't crap on your fan base.
  40. Feb 21, 2013
    I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC.I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC. After all I'm also a fan of the Bayonetta witch and I've been very entertained by it but it just felt like the right game in the wrong franchise. If you're just looking for some twisted action, you should definetly give DMC a chance and experience a seven Long story short: Devil May Cry is the best Bayonetta 2 that could`ve been. Expand
  41. Feb 27, 2013
    Haters gonna hate This game is awesome!!!
  42. Mar 3, 2013
    If you loved the original devil may cry then you may have reservations as i did this game is slick in visuals and gameplay dante has been reborn without losing his fun side and the action is as gory and over the top as always. fun violent and at times funny hopefully to be followed with more games in the future.
  43. Mar 4, 2013
    Introduction: This reboot to the Devil May Cry series has been met with unfair controversy from the fans of the past games generation. According to Metacritic, fans have been giving this game as low as 4.2 out of 10 while the average critics have rated the game 8.5/10. Since reception has been scattered, I decided this to be my first review. These reviews well be broken up into 6Introduction: This reboot to the Devil May Cry series has been met with unfair controversy from the fans of the past games generation. According to Metacritic, fans have been giving this game as low as 4.2 out of 10 while the average critics have rated the game 8.5/10. Since reception has been scattered, I decided this to be my first review. These reviews well be broken up into 6 different categories and averaged in the end. These Categories included: Presentation(concept), Graphics, Sound, Playability(Gameplay), Entertainment, Replay Value(Lasting Appeal).

Presentation: The game is a reboot of a very successful ps2/ps3 series with a strong fan base. In case you have never played this game, it is a hack and slash like God of War but with a heavy focus on combos. In this game, you take the role of Dante who is nephilim (have demon half angel) who has recently discovered his brother. Dante's brother Virgil shows Dante the truth of their existence and what happened to their parents. This throws the game into your ultimate goal; kill the demon god Mundus and restore order to the world. This game presents the plot and story in a very cool way. The story kept my interest and its concept was pretty cool. 9/10

Graphics: This games graphics were very good. These graphics made most of the characters look real and most of the environments were detailed very well. Although character design was very well done, the environments were bland. The environments were detailed but after the first half of the game, i decided everything started to look the same. Environments used a lot of the same color schemes (mainly Reds and darker colors). A few of the environments were unique but most seemed to look a lot the same. These bland environments made me have to focus more on the gameplay and less on the actual experience. 7/10

Sound: Voice acting was top notch. Almost every voice actor brought the character to life however conversations themselves seemed forced. With heavy language used and sexual innuendos, the conversations were not as real as i would have liked. The actors and actresses themselves however proved very in depth voice acting in casual situations but when the characters tried to be serious, they seemed to fall short. 8/10

Gameplay: I had an extremely fun time playing DmC because of the gameplay. Although with the final level or two i was ready for the game to be over, i was still having fun completing combos and killing so many demons. The various weapons available at your disposal the different kinds of demons who some weapons wouldn't work on and the unique boss battles made the gameplay top notch. The only complaint was the inability to lock onto a single enemy in a large group of enemies Besides that issue, the gameplay was fantastic. 9/10

Entertainment: The game was fun, no doubt about it. It was not the funnest game I have ever played and there were some rage moments, but the game was extremely fun. 9/10

Replay Value: This depends on the kind of person you are. The game only has 1 story and that is it. If you play the game through once, you have seen all there is to see story wise. For hardcore gamers who like challenges, besides easy medium and hard, there is also 4 other modes you unlock each time you beat the previous mode. For gamers who love challenges and play games for challenges, replay value is all of this game. For gamers like me, this game is only worth 1 playthrough ever. Although the game was fun to play, I would not want to play it a second time anytime soon. 5/10

Verdict: This game is an absolute must play for most gamers, but it is not an absolute buy for most gamers either. Total rating 7.8/10

Suggested price: Pay only $30 for this game or only rent but do not pay $60 dollars for game that isn't close to perfect.
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    Personally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pullPersonally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pull and angel lift weapons. You're never bored, because all enemies are affected by different weapons and different methods which means you can't just press a mashup of buttons all the time.

Pros: Dig the new half angel, half demon Dante, AND sympathetic, fun, love all the weapons (although some could be put to use more) Bosses, although easy, are some of the most visually impressive and memorable I've ever faced. I'm a longtime of Combichrist so I definitely dig the soundtrack. Cons: The godforsaken camera. During combat the camera decides to flip off to the oddest angle it can find and proves annoying in the most crucial moments. Lock-on would definitely help. You get thrown in a room of like 20 demons, and it auto aims all over the place. Just lovely. Another one: Too short. Other: Because some enemies are only affected by either Angel or Demon weapons, it renders the variety of your weapons useless. If I'm facing a frosted knight, I can pretty much only use either Osiris or Aquila, which throws all the possible combos out of the window really. They could improve it by emphasizing more on tactic to kill rather than angel or demon weapons. Conclusion: Don't listen to these negative reviews. Most of them are unfair as hell and biased. I'd bet my arm half of them hasn't even attempted to get past a couple missions. I had a blast playing it, and I'm still getting a kick out it replaying it. Demons, metal, and Combichrist, what more can a girl ask for?? 9 OUT OF EFFING 10. THANK YOU NINJA THEORY FOR THE REBOOT.
  45. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doorsThis game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doors that were missed the first two times. Don't understand why so many people hate this game. Expand
  46. Mar 13, 2013
    Talk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, andTalk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, and the carachters interesting and engaging. The action was great, and was very fluid overall. Not quite as good as 3, but slighly better than the vastly underrated 4, DMC is a smash. 2nd best DMC overall. Expand
  47. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  48. Jan 22, 2013
    Great game, with a ton of character. The action is fast and frenzied while remaining more accessible than previous games. The reboot of Dante is great with many throwbacks to his old look and an ending that is transforming him into his older self. Overall a must play.
  49. Feb 8, 2013
    Where to start hmm ok DMC fan from day 1 dmc 3 being the epitome of this genre along with Bayonetta, with nothing ever coming even close. i'd give this game 8.8 10 ,I was pissed with the new dante but turns out he's fine and his voice acting is better handled. Vergil on the other hand was just one of my fav. characters ever and they kinda made him lame so as far as art direction goesWhere to start hmm ok DMC fan from day 1 dmc 3 being the epitome of this genre along with Bayonetta, with nothing ever coming even close. i'd give this game 8.8 10 ,I was pissed with the new dante but turns out he's fine and his voice acting is better handled. Vergil on the other hand was just one of my fav. characters ever and they kinda made him lame so as far as art direction goes this game is weird yet awesome, graphics are very polished (though not a fan of unreal engine But this really really depends on how well you know ninja theory, this is very easily described as 70% dmc and 30 heavenly sword but only the pros came along from HS. TBH DMC 4 sucked imho and this is miles better but still cant come close to Dante's awakening, Nevertheless kudos to ninja theory they freaking put eth they had into this and it paid off and more importantly it shows, i still have to say they should have definitly made Dante's movements more fluid and put a trigger system. i feel for the bashers but seriously meta bombing to a 4.0 is just cruel Expand
  50. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people comingThis game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people coming into the series (counting this view) the story is quite solid, with both likeable, creative and understandable antagonists. Expand
  51. Feb 15, 2013
    I'm currently just past half-way [chapter 11 of 18] through my first playthrough of the game, which I started on Nephilim, as someone familiar with Melee Combat/Hack-n-Slash games like Bayonetta and DMC4. I was hungry for a good hack-n-slash melee combat game after struggling to enjoy Darksiders [meh!] a third time after 2 game breaking glitches! [superMEH!]. give me a break! It was aI'm currently just past half-way [chapter 11 of 18] through my first playthrough of the game, which I started on Nephilim, as someone familiar with Melee Combat/Hack-n-Slash games like Bayonetta and DMC4. I was hungry for a good hack-n-slash melee combat game after struggling to enjoy Darksiders [meh!] a third time after 2 game breaking glitches! [superMEH!]. give me a break! It was a relief to find a game with deep, fluid combat. While not quite reaching Bayonetta levels of combat, it does a fairly good job of reaching the height of DMC 4 (only DMC I played, which I totally enjoyed) in terms of combat. Gameplay advances like the ability to control the camera make for a much improved experience. Control scheme is a little convoluted, but you eventually get used to switching between angel, devil and regular modes. It's does seem tough to work in combat variety [style points!] for specific angel or devil enemies.. tho i suppose switching weapons helps a bit there. the graphics are pretty fantastic, and the environments are very cool.. much better than previous generations of this franchise. I was honestly dying for a game with fluid, engaging melee combat, and this game has it in spades. Using Angel Demon pulls to zip around the environments and slay baddies stylishly feels very cool. I find myself wanting to go back into the game when I'm at work, and I surprisingly put in over 10 hours in my first two days.. which is more than I'd usually commit. I'm excited to unlock everything and then start the harder, remixed unlocked modes.. so that should give you an idea of how i'm feeling about the game overall. There's been alot of hate for this game. I guess people just want the same game over and over. shame that, I think Ninja Theory has done a very respectable job of modernizing and 'rebooting' the DMC series. I'll weigh in again once i've completed the full game at least once, but so far, it's scratching the itch I had for good, deep melee combat. Definitely worth a try, regardless of the haters, if you like that sort of thing. Expand
  52. Apr 4, 2013
    I am not a fan of the franchise and, to be honest, I only played a couple of games back in the PS2 era and was immediately turned off by the difficulty level. Not that I don't appreciate a challenge, I do. But I think the DMC franchise just takes the idea of challenge a bit too seriously. Once I played the new DMC game demo I had the impression it would be a more accessible game andI am not a fan of the franchise and, to be honest, I only played a couple of games back in the PS2 era and was immediately turned off by the difficulty level. Not that I don't appreciate a challenge, I do. But I think the DMC franchise just takes the idea of challenge a bit too seriously. Once I played the new DMC game demo I had the impression it would be a more accessible game and decided to give it try. And yes, it is. It's not an easy game (though it might be easier than previous entries), but it's definitely friendly, meaning that I had a great time with it. Beautiful graphics, cool gameplay where you can link chains and chains of combos using different weapons and moves, nice hero and story (though a bit over the top for me). It's a very good game, no question about it and I cannot point a big reason why someone would not like to play it. Expand
  53. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  54. Jan 5, 2014
    It is the biggest suprise I had in 2013 that this game is actually real good. When the game first was introduced I also was dissapointed. I did not like the look of the new dante and this game felt weird by the screenshots. Saw this for free as a ps plus member, thought I should give it a try and dont regret the decision after all.
    its slower than its predecessors and the missing lock on
    its slower than its predecessors and the missing lock on is a big down point but the possibility to fight with all weapons at the same time switching smootlhy during the fight is awesome. Like also the art style and the characters are not that bad either, altough they up vergil.
    It aint perfect but it is much better than I have expected.
  55. Mar 6, 2014
    I have never play a Devil May Cry game before, so for me is the first one, and is an excellent game, fast pace, good combos, great graphics and visual effects, good story, remind me a lot Bayonetta, is a game for a certain type of player, if you like hack and smash you will love DMC, and please don't give bad notes just because dante don't looks like you want
  56. Jan 23, 2013
    The game is awesome, is a different beast from the old DMC and is a good thing, I really enjoined DMC1, 2 and even 4 but I always find Dante quite a lame '80 hair metal dude, this new style is a different kind of lame, with style. Emo Gothic **** a part is a great game with a great story, great combo, awesome different plays style from the newbie to the **** hole hardcore perfectionist.
  57. Jan 22, 2013
    I am another lifer as far as the series goes. As many people I didn't have a lot of love for 2 and unlike many people I got a lot of enjoyment out of 4. I am not sure how many of these reviews are legit, but this game is quite well designed. You may not love it but there is no way it is 4. I personally had a blast with this game even when I expected not to. I am very pleased with whatI am another lifer as far as the series goes. As many people I didn't have a lot of love for 2 and unlike many people I got a lot of enjoyment out of 4. I am not sure how many of these reviews are legit, but this game is quite well designed. You may not love it but there is no way it is 4. I personally had a blast with this game even when I expected not to. I am very pleased with what Ninja Theory has pulled off in this game. The environments and weapon switching during combat are especially enjoyable and polished. Expand
  58. Mar 5, 2013
    Any reasonable person with a fully functioning brain can see that this is a masterclass in how to do a reboot. The story, the characters, and most importantly, the gameplay have been revamped and updated for a more intelligent audience. I'm a big fan of the previous games especially DMC3, but this game really brings the series into the modern world, both in terms of story and in gameplay.Any reasonable person with a fully functioning brain can see that this is a masterclass in how to do a reboot. The story, the characters, and most importantly, the gameplay have been revamped and updated for a more intelligent audience. I'm a big fan of the previous games especially DMC3, but this game really brings the series into the modern world, both in terms of story and in gameplay.

With just 2 trophies to go I've spent close to 50 hours on this game. Buy it.
  59. Jan 25, 2014
    Very cool art style. Just so different from anything out there. Really fun controls. Makes it fun and easy to do badass combos. Story is cool and characters are fun. The game is just fun. Really enjoyed its irreverent style. Great time
  60. Jan 22, 2013
    I have no clue how any fan of the DmC series would not love this game. For me, it is by far my favorite and for those who don't like "emo" Dante grow up. He isn't "emo" by any standards and I think his personality is far better than the previous Dante. GAMEPLAY -Two words. Top notch. Switching between the various weapons takes a little getting used to but overall its a great system withI have no clue how any fan of the DmC series would not love this game. For me, it is by far my favorite and for those who don't like "emo" Dante grow up. He isn't "emo" by any standards and I think his personality is far better than the previous Dante. GAMEPLAY -Two words. Top notch. Switching between the various weapons takes a little getting used to but overall its a great system with endless combos. I would say the combat is up to par with the previous entries in the series but I do think that getting high ranking combo's is much easier than I remember. However, getting those "SSS" style combos makes you feel like a bad ass.

STORY - By far the best story in the series. I was actually engaged and interested throughout the game. The relationship between Dante and Virgil is a nice change of pace from previous games. The comedic relief and witty remarks are up to par with the series as well. OVERALL - Great game. Don't listen to those reviews of people who don't like the "Emo" Dante or think it's too easy. Have they tried Hell and Hell or Dante Must Die difficulties? Listen to someone who has actually played the game, unlike most of the others on here.
  61. Jan 23, 2013
    This is a decent reboot. The audio and art design is great. Combat is good but controls can be confusing to remember sometimes. Towards the end the game gets pretty repetitive. Overall the game feels hollow and not fully fleshed out. Accessible to newcomers. The story reminds me of Batman Begins. It's like the rebirth of a superhero. The thing I loved most about the game was the over theThis is a decent reboot. The audio and art design is great. Combat is good but controls can be confusing to remember sometimes. Towards the end the game gets pretty repetitive. Overall the game feels hollow and not fully fleshed out. Accessible to newcomers. The story reminds me of Batman Begins. It's like the rebirth of a superhero. The thing I loved most about the game was the over the top zaniness in the game. I liked the soundtrack too. I felt it fit the game very well. Dante as a character is great. There's good voice acting. Bottom line: if you are looking for something different or over the top then you might enjoy this game, otherwise it probably won't be worth it to pick this up. Expand
  62. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  63. Feb 8, 2013
    Jarring, amateurish, ill conceived rendition of an iconic franchise with shallow unbalanced and broken combat, insulting art style/design, weak dialogue, story and voice acting.

A truly terrible game with the Devil May Cry name added on to it. A shocking example of how not to handle Devil May Cry.
  64. Feb 19, 2013
    Bad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to putBad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  65. Feb 21, 2013
    DMC is an insult to the legendary histroy of Devil May cry games. To add insult to injury they even poke fun at how they changed dante's hair.

This game is a joke, even on hard it is way too easy. Yea, its flashy with solid graphics but these changes pissed off one too many fans.
  66. Feb 22, 2013
    After all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much moreAfter all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much more negative points that overall ruin this game. Several parts of the storyline and dialogue are shocking, puerile or completely unnecessary and the game would benefit from their removal. Glitchy platforming causes death to the user at no fault of their own. Frame-rate drops at times unacceptable for a level based game on a console (open world you can sometimes forgive). Easier than all previous Devil May Cry games but this is probably an intentional based on the game designers thinking the "know better" that the creators of the previous games. The most annoying part is that pretty obvious from the opening and ending sequences that NinjaTheory pretty far up their own arses a position which is certainly unjustified from some of the amateurish content they've delivered here. A little bit of thought, maturity and humility in their decision making would have stopped a lot of the problems mentioned above. Expand
  67. Mar 5, 2013
    DmC is the reboot of the Devil May Cry series by Ninja Theory. It is intended to direct a franchise in a new direction and gain a broader audience. I had no cons about the ideas behind the revitalizing of the series its mythos, but merely with the execution of the ideas.

PRESENTATION: Very Good. The artistic story telling is fantastic in the game, as well as the in game text to amplify some action scenes. Menu has framerate issues but well laid out and simple to see.

GRAPHICS: Good. Environment immerses the player into it and framerate is fluid to follow the action. The game overuses the orange red color palette as well as the green blue one which tends to saturate the world you are in after a couple of hours into the game.

SOUND: Very Good. The soundtrack in the game is great and it delivers the theme of the game quite nicely. The voice acting is well done too, you can tell the brothers apart when they speak but also sense their relation...Mundus also delivered an impact performance. Sound effects are also very good but at times overwhelmed by the soundtrack.

GAMEPLAY: Good. Heavily hindered by the level design, the gameplay mechanics are seamless, very well rounded and easy to implement. The amount of combos stretches as far as your imagination can, switching between Devil Angel weapons is fast and fluid and the controls are quick and responsive. The pacing of the game is questionable for an action game, specially for one with such a deep combo system. The camera is good and user controlled for the most part and even pauses enemies from attacking you if they are off screen. The Devil Trigger suspends enemies into the air this time around while you inflict damage. As usual some health regenerates and there is increased damage.

LEVEL DESIGN: Poor. This is where all the bad spots of the game came back to. The traversal through the game is mainly compromised by jumping. EVERYWHERE. It became tedious after seeing how much it consisted to go through a level, and it broke the pacing of the game considerably, since some areas there was just too much of it. Overall Limbo is designed somewhere out of the Deconstructivism movement, where things are broken parts of themselves and the pieces make up an ugly whole. The best level design for me was the Disco level, and something I'd revisit, weird boss and all. The environments turn dull towards the end, slowing the adventure down. One of the Boss fights implements the platforming quite well, and that probably was as far as it should have been taken to make up the level design.

STORY: Good. The new direction that they deviated the original storyline from was well implemented. Dante and Vergil being sons of a Demon Angel, some type of anomaly that can extinguish evil is a believable storyline to start from. The explaining of their origin was engaging as well. The middle and ends of the plotline of the game however, are not.

BEASTIARY: Very Poor. The enemies in DmC are not much for variety. Apparently anywhere you go in Limbo the demons are pretty much the same. They have different types of the same enemies, where ones are vulnerable to either Angel or Demon weapons. Overall you will face upgraded versions of the same enemies throughout the game. One in particular should have been a boss because he was really cool to face, and his upgraded versions, since the 5 a half boss fights in the 20 level game are deficient for an action game. They are mostly large, blob like figures instead of the fearsome creatures prevalent in games of this genre. They are quite the mixed bag the fights consist of yes heavy PLATFORMING.

DIFFICULTY: Easy. Accurate. I played the game on the Nephilim Hard difficulty and I barely died, ever. The game difficulty seems just about right so anyone can just pick this up and kick ass. Be aware that restarting a checkpoint counts as a death in the game what? and the autosave feature will NOT hold on to your items if you've used them and then died or restarted ).

LASTING APPEAL:

Players of the previous games will most likely not favor this game too much. The story mode may be good for one play through, but the excessive platforming may anger God of War veterans as well as the lack of boss fights. Also being a short adventure 8 hours and the lack of the Vergil DLC at launch to extend it, sadly is not enough to warrant a full retail purchase like I did I'd recommend holding off for God of War Ascension instead.

I rate it a 7.5 10.0
  68. Apr 8, 2013
    Unlike some die-hard DMC fans I couldn't care less what the main character looks like, the things that always interested me in this series is it's atmosphere and gameplay. I also can't deny loving Dante's attitude, especially in DMC 1&3.To me the series itself had always had it's own flair (even the less popular DMC2) which made me choose to buy the game time and time again.
    However DmC
    However DmC has absolutely nothing to do with Devil May Cry and it simply pains me to see such a game be considered as part of the series. I can't say that DmC is a complete fail or anything but playing it get's boring very easily, even though it's quite well-made(excluding graphics and slightly lame fighting).For me it turned out to be a waste of money
    Frankly, DmC could of even been made a masterpiece but if it does not have the atmosphere and the unique feel of Devil May Cry then why on Earth would anyone attach it to this series? The game would of probably done better on it's own with it's own audience that evidently prefers a post apocalyptic, slightly emo and punky attitude to the gothic, stylish and playfully one shown in Devil May Cry..(plus the crazy fights!!!!Oh,God I miss them...)
  69. Jan 12, 2014
    Pretty awful. Glad It was free with PS+ though so i didn't waste $60 on this mess.
    Point system ( or soul) feels really undone (it seems to take forever to just get one orb let alone two for boss fights.. hey i'm not a gamer that can beat a boss in one try usually..)
  70. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  71. Nov 22, 2013
    Ok, i play this game and this is my opinion, new Dante its a garbage, i want the old Dante in the next game, stop whit this reboot or for me DMC is very dead, i want a DEVIL MAY CRY 5!!! And not DmC2! Capcom wake up, stop whit this or you lost many players.
  72. Dec 10, 2013
    worst game i have ever played devil may cry 1 ,3 and 4 were nice but this is total i'd better play math games... goodbye devil may cry series from 4 nice game to a trash one it's better without this game in the series it makes devil may cry look stupid
  73. Apr 3, 2014
    Utter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plotUtter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plot twist out of no where.
    The dialogs were written by a 12 year old, such an ignorant view of being cool.
    Capcom hit a new low with this game
  74. May 8, 2014
    This game is great only if your not an fan to the series.Fans is all that mean for a game to still exist...soo yeah...this game doesn't have a lot of good terms in it like : the story is very poor ,common but interesting ; the characters are the worst thing of the game + the dialogue and the graphics are poor .. nothing impressive
  75. Feb 3, 2013
    Played the originals they weren't to great, I like this one. No plot holes, minor glitches in combat (Which the original had.). Gritty, nice, new visualization and swearing. The end level fight (You will get it if you play it.) development still could have been eased into better. But still good weapons, good combat system.
    Pick it up give it a go. BTW original fanboys probably not for
    Pick it up give it a go. BTW original fanboys probably not for you, go complain all through the forums.
  76. Mar 13, 2013
    Although the fighting is way too easy compared to Devil May Cry 3 (the only other DMC I've played) I thought this game was really good.
    People are saying that the characters suck, but IMO, they're not bad. Dante's young and carefree, kind of a douche but a very lovable one whose promiscuity and occasional abrasiveness are explained by his troubled past, and his personality suits the whole "we don't take ourselves too seriously" feel in the two DMC games that I've played. Maybe this is just me being a stupid fangirl but I found his character to be adorable in BOTH games.
    *SPOILER ALERT* To the people saying otherwise, Dante isn't an evil because the "baby" Virgil shot wasn't exactly a baby, and teasing Mundus, the guy who literally ripped his mother's heart out in front of his eyes was just a way to save humanity.
    Kat's nice, and Vergil was great with his pimp hat and psycho take over the world god complex at the end *SAFE TO READ*

To sum it up, the graphics weren't great but weren't bad, the story and characters were fun, not too believable, but that's on purpose. The boss fights were quite disappointing but the fights are pretty fun in the difficulties you unlock. I think all the bad reviews are from people who are so in love with the old franchise, and whose hopes were so high that they can't see how good this new game is.
  77. Mar 29, 2013
    DmC Devil May Cry is a great reboot that deserves more credit. I was skeptical of Dante's new appearance while reading previews and watching gameplay, but Dante's new look has zero effect on the amazing gameplay! I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and will play through it again. The story and cinematics were fantastic and enjoyable to watch and I felt engrossed in the story and wasDmC Devil May Cry is a great reboot that deserves more credit. I was skeptical of Dante's new appearance while reading previews and watching gameplay, but Dante's new look has zero effect on the amazing gameplay! I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and will play through it again. The story and cinematics were fantastic and enjoyable to watch and I felt engrossed in the story and was impressed how the developers brought everything together. The combat and weapons are insanely fun and made the game one of the better Devil May Cry titles to date. I do feel the game starts to drag towards the end and the pacing is slightly off, but overall it's still plays like a DmC title should. Expand
  78. Feb 2, 2013
    They made dante a more relatable and cool character. The game also has really good graphics and very fun combat with humorous dialogue. Quite possibly the best devil may cry yet with a cooler dante. Most will bash because they want the white hair bobbie straps back but there just ignorant fan boys
  79. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  80. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  81. Jan 14, 2014
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I haven't been so awestruck by swirly colourful graphical beautifulness since Bayonetta. I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of fairly random button hammering. You need to learn the jumps, but the rest you can leave to chance. If your kids are watching then just thell them its on uber hard difficulty and pretend all your lucky killer moves are deliberate.

Overall I still preferred Bayonetta, but DMC was a blast.
  82. May 14, 2014
    Starts off fun but difficulty and awful platforming increases to the point of rage-quitting frustration (this is on easiest difficulty). The awful platforming might be tolerable if the checkpoints had any respect for the player's time. Attention game developers: when a player selects "easy" the game should be easy! Good for about 5 hours but I can't recommend it after that. The game doesStarts off fun but difficulty and awful platforming increases to the point of rage-quitting frustration (this is on easiest difficulty). The awful platforming might be tolerable if the checkpoints had any respect for the player's time. Attention game developers: when a player selects "easy" the game should be easy! Good for about 5 hours but I can't recommend it after that. The game does have great art and style, however. Expand
  83. Feb 2, 2013
    Haters, can seriously just shut up. The fanboys will get extremely pissed about anything whether it be a film series (e.g., Star Wars) or a video game series like Devil May Cry. For god sakes, give it a try. Play through the game and you will see, this is one of the best action games to be released in a while. Heck, its better than most of the games which released in 2012. The new Dante isHaters, can seriously just shut up. The fanboys will get extremely pissed about anything whether it be a film series (e.g., Star Wars) or a video game series like Devil May Cry. For god sakes, give it a try. Play through the game and you will see, this is one of the best action games to be released in a while. Heck, its better than most of the games which released in 2012. The new Dante is absolutely amazing, sure he's more vulgar than the original Dante but that's what DmC is all about...its a REBOOT. Get over it. This game is amazing. Expand
  84. May 1, 2013
    DMC5 of performance is acceptable, but as a great game sequel was terrible. great games always listen the voice of the fans, Ninja Theory never respect the fans, this is why they failed over again.
  85. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with barely any flaws. Anybody who dislikes the game because of the previous games is just sad. They needed this and it worked out perfectly. Amazing graphics, incredible gameplay, awesome story, great music.. I just dont see the "bad" people are talking about.

See the thing is, if this game wasnt called "DmC", it would be one of the best games most of these people have ever played. But because they rebooted the DmC franchise, you losers are going crazy. Look at that. 561 dislikes? Thats pathetic. This game deserves the high ratings and the praise. I hate that this game gets looked down on because a bunch of losers cant handle the fact that they rebooted the franchise. Get over it, and heres to hoping you didnt ruin the chance of them making DmC 2 cause i am actually looking forward to playing that masterpiece.
  86. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is actually amazing. I do miss the snarky playful attitude of the old Donte but this reboot is an new origin story that is surprisingly rich and I can see our new protagonist growing into the role of the snarky proud and powerful role that we so loved in the Third game (in time). Spoiler waring. By the end of the game Donte's hair is white and Vergil becomes a nemesis true to form, so stop your **** There is actually alot of potential with this new story and I hope to see more of it in the future. Sure the plot could have used a bit of cheesy, over the top moments that Hideki Kamiya is so known for. However that could be easily remedied in a sequel. Basically what I'm saying is that this reboot is not as much of a betrayal as the raving fanboys claim it is. Story aside, the combat and game play of DMC is at the top of it's form and I personally find it better then even the previous titles. My only real complaint is that the "Human" and "Devil Hunter" difficulty's are too easy. However the game is extremely replayable and with difficulty's like "Son of Sparda", "Dante Must Die" and "Heaven or Hell" there is not reason to worry about it to casuals because there is plenty to offer to even seasoned veterans of the series. This entry into the series is not as memorable as Devil May Cry 3 but it's defiantly more fun then any of the other games in the series. Next to Dark Souls this has to be currently one of my favorite games too play. Expand
  87. Feb 4, 2013
    I love this game! My full review is on the 360 version but I have played this one as well. Don't buy into what people are saying on this site with all the negative. I mean, I can show you a game worth a 1 or 2or 3 or 4, ever play vampire rain? Now that's a bad game. This game is leaps and bounds above anything like that. My two favorite DMC games are now this one and DMC3. Action fansI love this game! My full review is on the 360 version but I have played this one as well. Don't buy into what people are saying on this site with all the negative. I mean, I can show you a game worth a 1 or 2or 3 or 4, ever play vampire rain? Now that's a bad game. This game is leaps and bounds above anything like that. My two favorite DMC games are now this one and DMC3. Action fans should definitely check it out. Expand
  88. Jan 24, 2013
    An awesome reboot for mature audience. All I can say. It's a shame that such a great masterpiece is drowning under fake unfavourable rates and reviews, written by wacko "fanboys", who still cry about "Old anime retarded douchebag with affected pathos", and don't want to accept new, stylish punk. Such "persons" even don't know differences between emo and hipster cultures to start with. AndAn awesome reboot for mature audience. All I can say. It's a shame that such a great masterpiece is drowning under fake unfavourable rates and reviews, written by wacko "fanboys", who still cry about "Old anime retarded douchebag with affected pathos", and don't want to accept new, stylish punk. Such "persons" even don't know differences between emo and hipster cultures to start with. And they cry about things they even don't understand correctly. Expand
  89. Jul 6, 2013
    Although not one of the best games I have ever played, I did have fun with this game. It took a little time to actually get into, but when I finally did I enjoyed it.
  90. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are lots of people that had preconceived notions with this game before playing it, and honestly I was one of them. I was a huge fan of the Devil May Cry Universe and the fact they could reboot a franchise that was sill very relevant made me angry. First of all I am not a fan of Dante or Virgile's new look. I also think the original Dante is one of the most bad ass heroes in gaming. However after playing DMC it won me over. As much as I loved the original Devil May Cry's the one thing they failed to do was tell a coherent story. Yes, each game had a clear objective but when you look at the 4 games before this one there are tons of plot holes that were never answered. Examples? Whatever happened to Dante after DMC2? Who exactly is NERO? Is it virgules' son or there youngest brother, or Virgil reincarnated? How did Dante and Virgil hate each other and why are there demons on earth? The good thing about the reboot if you give it a chance they actually do a good job at explaining some of these things. The only real difference from the original series was that Dante and Virgil are known as Nephlim which is half angels and half demons rather then half human/half demon. Other then that the rest of the story fits well into the DMC cannon. You see why Dante and Virgil come at odds, and if you hate Dante's new look don't worry it shows you how he gets his white hair. It also shows how Virgil goes from being a computer hacking demon hunter to a raging powerful bad ass. Is the combat a little slower then the other games? Yes, but it can still be challenging at times and its still very fun if you like these types of games. So if you are an old fan of the Devil May Cry series you may try to give this game a chance it's not as bad as you think. Expand
  91. Apr 1, 2013
    This games is so boring, the gameplay look sad, & yes is very easy game, no challenge
    just play it & see for youself. Capcom Ninja Theory just waste time & the money for the remake dmc game with new style, but the game is very bad....so sad
  92. Jan 26, 2013
    I'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out forI'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out for yourself whether or not it's worthy of the unfavorable user score. My rating: 10 :P Expand
  93. Mar 23, 2014
    I had a lot more fun playing DMC than playing God of war Ascension ! Plateforming sections and control-issues aside, the game offer great movesets and weapons and really cool boss fights.
  94. May 19, 2013
    Don't feed the trolls!
    If you liked the previous DMC games, you will like this one.
    I think this is one of the best so far.
    I like this version better. It shows you what happened before he was a demon hunter.
  95. Jan 25, 2013
    I dont generally understand this DMC hate, even i have played all dmc games before. This game needed a change, it cant be the same like always. And you could say it needed a reboot with more cinematics and explained story. Many fans say this game is horrible but dont explains it why. And if they tell you the reason to hate this game, its ridiculous coz they are not true. You could findI dont generally understand this DMC hate, even i have played all dmc games before. This game needed a change, it cant be the same like always. And you could say it needed a reboot with more cinematics and explained story. Many fans say this game is horrible but dont explains it why. And if they tell you the reason to hate this game, its ridiculous coz they are not true. You could find many more worse games on the market, which deserves 0 grade. You have to open minded in every chapter of game you get your hands on. And more objective to rewiev games. You have to look the big picture here, not your personal feelings with you to review games and shout non-sense **** Ninja Theory did it and they did it with huge respect and good work. Ninja theory focused this time to DMC with more cinematics, more storyline and dialogues. This is hack 'n slash game with more explained dmc story.
    Yes you can find differences with older DMC, but thats not the point here. This is REBOOT. This is ninja theory version of DMC. AND this DMC IS GOOOD! Level design is much better than before: no more running from room to room like before. This time its more jumping from A to B, and hooking yourself to other places. And levels are more creative than before. Gameplay: its kick-ass. You can have 5 weapons to use them to enemies and change them during combos in a fly. Just use your imagination and create your own awesome combos to defeat enemies. Dialogues are very funny and based on characters. Dante talks like Dante, funny sarcastic and cool. Vergil is older brother being more wiser. Kat is a helpful young girl who thinks about others. This is more serious DMC than ever before. The reason why I don't give 10 to this game, is hack 'n slash games especially DMC how its being build, they need more bosses in this game. This has 6 and its fine, but 10 bosses with more challenge, this game would be the game of the year easily.
  96. Feb 9, 2014
    this game deserves atleast 8. 4.9? WTF. i understand that fanboys dont like the new Dante, but for someone like me who never played and doesnt care about DMC franchise, and looks at DMC:Devil May Cry not like a sequel to favorite series, but as a stand alone game: this game is pretty damn sweet. i guess i enjoyed it more than Darksiders. RECOMENDED
  97. Feb 4, 2013
    I really don't understand what you people have against this game other than, the mechanics are much simpler.. which makes it easier to get "SSS" combos. Thats pretty dumb to give the game a 1 along with the fact that dante looks kinda lame and says stupid Yeah i get it. the old dante was much cooler with his smartass one liners and no ****s givin attitude. The gameplay is really fun andI really don't understand what you people have against this game other than, the mechanics are much simpler.. which makes it easier to get "SSS" combos. Thats pretty dumb to give the game a 1 along with the fact that dante looks kinda lame and says stupid Yeah i get it. the old dante was much cooler with his smartass one liners and no ****s givin attitude. The gameplay is really fun and this entry actually has an interesting story. None of you have obviously never played a game that deserved such a low rating.. This game is really good and worth a try. the only reason i didnt give it a 10 is because you get some badass weapons pretty late in the game.. thats my only problem with it.. And it also has a forceful lock on that you cant control but i rarely notice it, its mainly only when I try to run past an enemy on a broken bridge and i cant stop looking at the stupid thing. Expand
  98. Feb 1, 2013
    I was very surprised with the game, mostly since I heard so many people whine about it. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's DMC with the same Dante, just earlier on in his life. Plus you unlock the white haired look when you beat the game once. Difficulty was not a problem, I played it on the 3rd difficulty out of 7 I believe, was mildly challenging. Unlocked the next one and gotI was very surprised with the game, mostly since I heard so many people whine about it. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's DMC with the same Dante, just earlier on in his life. Plus you unlock the white haired look when you beat the game once. Difficulty was not a problem, I played it on the 3rd difficulty out of 7 I believe, was mildly challenging. Unlocked the next one and got destroyed, and I'm a guy who's amongst the top 100 players on several missions on the leaderboard. The language was quite crude at points, but that's pretty much a trade mark of the series. The level design was quite great, I loved the limbo areas. Can't say there's anything bad with the game at all! Maybe that it lacked content, could have had more, I finished it in about 20 hours, but there are more difficulties to play through. Expand
  99. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels. 10/10.
  100. Apr 9, 2013
    I didn't liked it. Not my cup of tea, not my mug of coffee, not my can of coke. And I'm aware that I'm biased, but I PAID for this, and thus I believe I have all rights to judge for what this is. A below average hack'n slash game. Why? Oh, several reasons. The writing, dumb/slow/broken (you name it) gameplay, characterization, the oh SO terrible soundtrack in this game. Seriously, can'tI didn't liked it. Not my cup of tea, not my mug of coffee, not my can of coke. And I'm aware that I'm biased, but I PAID for this, and thus I believe I have all rights to judge for what this is. A below average hack'n slash game. Why? Oh, several reasons. The writing, dumb/slow/broken (you name it) gameplay, characterization, the oh SO terrible soundtrack in this game. Seriously, can't understand how some people were praising it. Saving by a few, the music in this game pissed me off.

And I could be more specific here, however, considering how long this game has been out, and the amount of reviews naming all these same reasons in a more fluid and impersonal form, I can't help but feel redundant here. Let's just stop beating this dead horse.
    So, just take this: I paid, finished it and didn't liked it. You can all come to tell me that I being unfair, but I am not. Just take your time and read some of the genuine reviews here. Obviously, the ones that aren't rated 10/10, that is.
  101. Jan 20, 2013

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.