5.1

1. Jul 15, 2014
    Few games manage to make difficulty a genuine selling point, but the Devil May Cry games are an example of just that done well. DmC is not just a difficult combat driven game though; by re-envisioning the game series from a more western perspective, the game has been more grounded in western culture and as such this iteration has a far more engaging story compared to previous games in the series,

Gameplay wise, this is as you'd expect. There's a multitude of weapons, various different styles of combat and movement, and all of this is mapped to the controller in such a way that you'll need the use of every button. It's masterfully crafted, and while some changes are made, such as the guns being far less powerful in this incarnation of the series, it's all still very skill focused. There are less moves in this game compared to Devil May Cry 4, but what is here is plentiful and true mastery of these combat mechanics would take years. Any DMC fan wanting the challenge of previous games will not be disappointed, particularly with the additional difficulties unlocked after the first playthrough. Level design is very well set up, with storyline reasons behind the otherworldliness of the levels. Platforming sections break up the action well and fit nicely with the controls. Lastly there's the boss battles all of which fit the theme, require specific tactics and mastery of the controls; actually change their patters and tactics on different difficulty levels; and are genuinely inventive in design.

Storyline wise, whilst nothing groundbreaking in fiction, the story is a good example of an anti-corporate story in which a disenfranchised anarchic man-child learns to put his abilities to use to take down the corrupt corporate world powers who are, in this case literally, demonic evil. It's very reminiscent of They Live and has elements of George Orwell's 1984. Derivative sure, but well written, well paced, and an interesting attempt to tell an engaging story with a franchise that had previously never attempted to be more than a cheesy over-the-top animé.

All in all this is one of the best action games made in years and barring a few textures issues, slight screen tearing during cutscenes oddly though thankfully not during gameplay; this game has no real notable flaws. It's sad really that this site will be filled with pathetic squawking fanboys rating it unreasonably low because the developers changed Dante's hair colour (something they actually did for a story purpose that as a fan of the series I quite appreciated actually). If you see this game get it, the easy difficulty is accessible but still challenging for new players, while the extended difficulty modes will keep veteran fans going for years; couple that with a decent and well told story and you can't go wrong. An easy recommendation.
  2. Jun 1, 2014
    Now, I don't say this often. But this is, simply put, the best game I ever played in my life.

I've played lots of games. Tons amongst tons, but nothing ever drew me in like DmC: Devil May Cry did. The soundtrack is outstanding. With dubstep pieces from Nero and nice Metal from Combichrist. Both of these artist combined to make a soundtrack that pumps the game to a whole new level. The
    gameplay is at the top. It's simply the epitome of "Perfection". With a slash here and a fist slam there, all moves flow together to create a symphony of SSSensational combos. The story is also well made. The demons run the world through the media. From bankers to news reporters, every character shines brightly, even though, they're quite dark themselves. Dante, being revamped and all, is wonderful. Being a potty-mouth suits his look and style. His one-liners are also very amusing as well. There's never a dull moment with him. Vergil and Kat are really great supporting characters too. Kat is a nice semi-love interest and Vergil is one of those guys who you know will show his true colors later on. All in all, the game is simply PERFECT and everything flows together in one stream of fluid, swift and sweet goodness of a third-person action adventure game. Pick this game up, you won't regret it. Expand
  3. May 4, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic and true addition to the DMC universe. Being a dedicated fan od the original series that has played through all versions multiple times (especially 4), I can honestly say that this game fits in almost perfectly, and I dont say this in a negative way. Everything from the combat, environments, soundtracks and storytelling fell DMC, but they refreshingly are not just more of the same. The combat fundamentals I suppose are easier to master, however the endless possibilities for strategies and of course combos are what sets this version apart. Being able to switch weapons instantly mid combo is such a leap above having to pause the game there isnt much argument here. The wide open level design with floaty platforms are such a pleasure to float through with the angel lift, and the atmospheric soundtracks really add to the sense of flying. The story pays so much to the original lore a true fan cannot helped to be moved by it. I m quite upset that I, like many others, passed this title up originally just on the character redesign (which actually plays so nicely into this prequel). I can only imagine how incredible a sequel would be from NT, heres hoping capcom gives them the opportunity. Expand
  4. Apr 30, 2014
    I myself like the game entirely. Graphic wise it was a piece of art. The game style and the play remind me a bit of infamous so I could jump in right away. Also its a new story so any one could jump in and understand a bit what is going on.
    Overall I give this game a ten since even after you play it over and over its still pretty good and the hardest difficulty is really amazing, a good
    experience. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    I played because it in PS plus, and woah! I really like it. Full action packed game, challenging combats that makes you think how to beat enemies that have weak and strong points. I also found characters more charismatic than in the former games.
  6. Apr 1, 2014
    I don't undestand all the bad/evil critics...**** awesome game..Varieted gameplay, lots of weapons and cool combos to use. Just don't get a 10 because I didn't liked the end.
  7. Mar 25, 2014
    great game. Combat system is very addictive but kind of repetive, storyline is not very satisfying ( not what i bought the game for though), soundtrack is amazing, and the weapon unlocks, and special moves are pretty cool too.
  8. Mar 20, 2014
    Wow, for anyone who hasnt played devilmaycry this is a must play game. The crying fans need to be quiet, if this hadn't been called devilmaycry, it would of score a 9 all over the board for amazing gameplay, graphics and story alone.
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    I have never play a Devil May Cry game before, so for me is the first one, and is an excellent game, fast pace, good combos, great graphics and visual effects, good story, remind me a lot Bayonetta, is a game for a certain type of player, if you like hack and smash you will love DMC, and please don't give bad notes just because dante don't looks like you want
  10. Mar 2, 2014
    I loved the old games, and this one certainly did not disappoint me. A reboot is not supposed be about making the exact same thing over again, like Halo 1. Let the masterpiece be before you mess with what is perfect. If you don't like it just don't play. They did a great job with a new story and some very well developed characters. The game is still wide open to take alot of the same roads as the last one. I am looking forward to the sequel and stealing the hair cut! Expand
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    this game deserves atleast 8. 4.9? WTF. i understand that fanboys dont like the new Dante, but for someone like me who never played and doesnt care about DMC franchise, and looks at DMC:Devil May Cry not like a sequel to favorite series, but as a stand alone game: this game is pretty damn sweet. i guess i enjoyed it more than Darksiders. RECOMENDED
  12. Jan 29, 2014
    This game has everything you want from the devil may cry series and more. The third installment in the series left me a bit stale but after playing this game I loved it. The weapon system, style system, item system, further content afterwards. EVERYTHING about this game was done right. Keep up the great work.
  13. Jan 25, 2014
    Very cool art style. Just so different from anything out there. Really fun controls. Makes it fun and easy to do badass combos. Story is cool and characters are fun. The game is just fun. Really enjoyed its irreverent style. Great time
  14. Jan 24, 2014
    DmC is my biggest surprise of the year, and it is a shame that short-sighted fans have condemned the reboot simply based on Dante's character design.

To start, I have played all the Devil May Cry's and DmC is my favorite. DmC is more fun, more clever and more stylized that all the DMCs before it. Switching between weapons mid-combo is a blast. You never know what to expect in limbo,
    and it is awesome to watch levels transform as you make your way through them.

The most important thing to note though, is that the new Dante is so much more relatable than the old Dante. The first time a ridiculous demon appears and the level transforms, and Dante says, "What the **** **** You will be right there with him.
  15. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, have to clear this up. this game deserves much more than a 4.9, which is the current user score.

(spoilers)

I'm a veteran of the devil may cry franchise, been playing since the 1st one. While I'm very attached to the old dante (as attached as you can be to a character you know so little about), as a video game (and DMC) enthusiast, I can't let that get in my way.

This game is technologically and critically head and shoulders above previous installments in the franchise. While I think it may have happened a little bit too soon, I really hope to see a sequel to this game.

I never felt attached to old Dante. He was always just some badass in a red coat with a sword. and that was awesome. I've always felt that the DMC story line was obscure to mask a lack of coherence. With the Reboot, we're able to know the characters so much more. You get to watch this young, lost badass become the **** talking demon hunter we know and love. You get to watch him build a bond with his lost brother and then see this bond torn away, wo witness the borth and growth of characters and relationships like previous DMC games never even thought about doing.. old DMC never made me feel anything, except "that was awesome". With Neo-Dante, it's so much more awesome, and also emotional. great story, great fastpaced and open ended frantic action gameplay leave most people behind. it's too "hardcore" for some people. and with better story telling and game play.

This game is great. anything below a seven is unwarranted, submitted by an uneducated and/or stubborn and/or ignorant and/or narrow minded fanboy
  16. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the
    controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    This is the first time I've posted how I've felt about a game online b/c it's the first time I thought I really needed to, I feel this way because the game had really great reviews from critcs but sold a million copys under what capcom was expecting and for some reason people who played the game didn't like it no idea y though, all these reasons make me fear the are not going to continue the reboot and make a DmC 2, now onto how i feel about the game, the games been great so far decent graphics coupled by excellent gameplay and the story was pretty dam good, the old dmc for me was mediocre excludingg 4 wich was prty good I didn't really enjoy Dante as a charecter in the old. One but I liked him in this one ( I did this on an iPad so I apoligise in advance if it's hardto read. Expand
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    First things first: I'm a very big DMC series fan. And I was a fan who no longer give much importance to the series. Now thanks to this game: Dante is back and in shape! GoodBye Nero (was that the name?). DmC is a very cool action game!! I really loving this game! I'm writing this review in half of my progression in the game and I want to play a second time.. maybe third.

The Gameplay
    (10/10): super smooth, very fast and very rewarding! super mega big combos with lots of weapons in the air in the gound where ever you want! I think is the most rewarding dmc game in gameplay! Big smile in my face when I hear "SADISTIC" in a hollow voice lol. very cool. Really, this game makes me laugh of pleasure. To the fans they should play in nephilim mode, is more difficult and it's not very easy to reach the SSS rank (only once in my playtrough). Man the weapons are a delight!!! Nice addiction the training mode, very useful!!

The Graphics (9/10): put this simple Limbo is a very beautiful place.. shame is full of demons the producers gave much love to this city very colorful and is always changing top down bottom up! cool the city changes when we walk on it! seriously often stopped just to rotate the camera and see the scenery. so much happens in those landscapes that we can not see due to the frantic combat.

The Sound (9/10): in my opinion the best in the series. period. i remember playing dmc3 and was boring always the same music. Now yes this is a soundtrack. Heavy metal with electronic music. cool stuf with many different tunes that give perfect balance to what we see on screen. The music is dynamic to, depending on your performance in combat and style. The voice acting is great!! great job!!

Conclusion: Ninja Theory respects DMC and is fans: as we play the game we understand it. Thanks to their imagination the series will not die because it seemed to be the destiny of Dante. The world of gaming has changed a lot and DMC needed to change to. I dont understand that low scores!! why?!!! Dont want the newcomers to play this amazing action game?! Now make yourself a favour go play this game and have a hell of a good time (hell man!!) with style!!

Dante is back!! with lots of style! never thought I'd say this again!

Almost forgot: Dante! very nice kid. super style and bad ass!! always mocking! I was tired of that kind of japanese super hero/manga/anime from past games. this dante is more human. much more human. very well designed with great attention to detail. and is story is simple but fun and better than past games. And Vergil is very cool to. For me better than dmc3.

Cons: I can not give a 10 I wish I could because this game got it all, but I cant because is a little to short. Some missions are way to small (like make a few jumps and kill a few demons) but on the other hand this game screams repeatability all the way. I just finish and I must play two or more times to finish everything I left behind. And it's fun to play so it will not be boring. Another thing: where's the taunt button (this one is personnel)?!

PS.: that Devil Trigger is cool stuff.. again the "cool" word!!
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Fantastic game! I really didn't expect to have this much fun when I started playing. It's making me want to take it slow and enjoy the awesome world depicted in the game for fear of finishing it too fast and not finding something else as good. I created an account on metacritic just now to write this review for one great game. One of the best of this generation.

If you notice all the
    'Negative' reviews on here are for fans of the PS2 games dissing it for no good reason. The game improves upon the older games in every aspect. Yes, I have played the older games and I like this one a lot better. Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2013
    I dont know why everyone is hating. I am an fan f the old games, played them all, loved them and their classical style. Ninja theory tried something new, and it was awesome. Sure Dante is more edgy but thats the whole point of making a younger dante. The combat is perfect, I actually use the other weapons, you have too on some enemies!! Before in other games, I felt i had to go out of my way to use the another weapon just for the sake of changing it up a bit. Before, rebllion proved so strong, that it was pointless to use other weapons for dante. The firearms on the other and were not that great for this DmC, i have to admit. the charge shot wasnt really selling it for me at least. As for devil trigger, i like how colors and surrounds sort of change, but the way demons just rise up is annoying, by the time i bring them down, DT is half gone, and your only using it on one enemy. the slow m when killing the last enemy is really nice touch, and love the grapple hooks addition to the game. The story is pretty simple, building up to the last boss fight, but at least you are not thrown into fighting demos in the previous games without knowing who is what and whats your goal in the game. Its a bit of a cliche making the brothers enemies in the end, we all knew a fight was coming, but dont make it the last and final. It just ruins the story. Plus the dlc, I didnt buy that vergil just went evil after spending all his life fighting demons and searching for his brother. Dante may have sightly betrayed him, but only to ensure humans have true freedom from demons. they shouldve went with dante vs. vergil fight on mission 19, and later mundus fight as the final boss. I dont why everyone is hating on vergil too, hes still badass here and actually has a goal and some character development, in dmc3, you have no idea why you are fighting vergil, just because he wants more power, please... all in all, it was an amazing game, superbly made, in support of unreal engine. The plot does need a little more mystery, characters, and a satisfying twist. Expand
  21. Oct 11, 2013
    An excellent, well-rounded game with superb graphics, epic gameplay and an intriguing story. For a reboot, they paid homage to old traditions in DMC, while bringing so many new and fresh things to appeal to the modern and current generation of gamers. This game is great for new fans, and old fans alike who are willing to actually play it with and give it a try. This reboot brings new life and fresh blood into the franchise, and I look forward to the prospect of a sequel. Expand
  22. Sep 14, 2013
    Dmc its not bad like everyone think! Open your mind. Dante its back, and has a fantastic gameplay and better than the previous games! I played all the DMC's, and when I beated the game, I realized that Dante will be as it once! Before saying anything about the new Dante, know that Capcom wanted to change his style, and changed for the better in my opinion, because there were many mistakes in the other games that made Capcom remade the entire franchise! If you play the entire game noticed that it is rather a Devil May Cry, passing the story, Dante demonstrates why his personality changes, thus becoming the Dante we know! The same happens with the story of Vergil, who this game is weaker than Dante, because if you play the DLC Vergil's Downfall notice that the power increases Vergil and leaves to see how will be the continuation! The next game will be much better, and rejoices all fans of the series! I also think that you guys had liked the change at the beginning! No, and now I realize that everything is moving towards better! Gives a chance and wait for the new game! Ninja Theory is very cool, Capcom made ​​a great choice! 8.9 is the note I give! The rest if you ask me, if you can buy the game and play! Will not regret it! It's better than promised! Expand
  23. Sep 3, 2013
    Can I just say, Reboot. I am a fan of the original games and of this one, for all the haters that seem to bash it reread the fifth word a time or two. They did an amazing job with this game. I'm a fan just as much of it as of the original ones. So lay off and think of it as a new light on an amazing set of classics.
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with barely any flaws. Anybody who dislikes the game because of the previous games is just sad. They needed this and it worked out perfectly. Amazing graphics, incredible gameplay, awesome story, great music.. I just dont see the "bad" people are talking about.

See the thing is, if this game wasnt called "DmC", it would be one of the best games most of these people have
    ever played. But because they rebooted the DmC franchise, you losers are going crazy. Look at that. 561 dislikes? Thats pathetic. This game deserves the high ratings and the praise. I hate that this game gets looked down on because a bunch of losers cant handle the fact that they rebooted the franchise. Get over it, and heres to hoping you didnt ruin the chance of them making DmC 2 cause i am actually looking forward to playing that masterpiece. Expand
  25. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  26. Jul 30, 2013
    It seems like NT release a new game every 3 years. If you're a fanboy who dismiss this game just because Dante looks different, then quit being little babies because you're missing out. Instead of letting Capcom slap something cheap for DMC5, which fanboys would've called it the best game ever made, they let NT develop the game so that it can appeal to Western gamers.

A lot of companies
    like to expand their business and while the change may feel like a middle finger to the hardcore fans at first, they should really give this game a chance because it's really good. It runs on 30 FPS but there's no slowdowns and the action is smooth so it does feel like the game is running on 60 FPS. It's free style combat is over-the-top, stylish and just as engaging as the previous DMC games.

It's ok to compare new Dante to old Dante but in the end, you should judge him for who he is and whether or not you like him. Not just say "oh, this isn't the Dante I know and love", it's called a reboot. A lot of these fanboys can't accept new life in their beloved franchise, even though it did something different, but they bash on other franchises for releasing the same thing, not going to name names.

The graphics, art style and level designs is stunning, it's just so good to look at. The game is also backed up by it's awesome rock/electro soundtrack. As soon as you complete the first mission with the "Never Surrender" soundtrack playing in the background that's been used well for the first level, you'll be instantly hooked into the game.

Change is great, even if it's not as good as the old DMC. NT is great when it comes to story, does Heavenly Sword or Enslaved ring any bells? The story is simple but what lies within the story is a complex theme of corporation and capitalism. The whole idea of Dante fighting demons in Limbo feels a bit like Inception, which is awesome. Puzzles are replaced by platforming bits that were well made, although there is a Spider-Man thing going on when Dante swings from one platform to another.

Dante swears a lot in DmC and he's more of a sexual deviant but the new Dante is just as confident and fearless as the old Dante, so DmC and DMC, while DmC is quite different, does have a few aspects in common that does DmC justice to the original series. One being the character and the other being the fast, energetic and intense action.

While hardcore DMC fans might find the lower levels less challenging than DMC, since it pretty much hands out S ranks, it's a great way to introduce new fans or casual gamers who aren't particularly a fan of the franchise or the genre in general and maybe those who find DMC games, especially 3, too hard.

There are a variety of difficulties so for hardcore DMC fans who didn't find DmC challenging, try Heaven and Hell and then try Hell and Hell but you'll have to unlock it first which shouldn't be a complaint since it's really rewarding. After all, you wouldn't want a game that hands out stuff to you.

Heaven and Hell is not as easy as haters say it is but it's certainly not impossible. The idea of having to constantly switch from Angel Mode to Devil Mode gives both weapon types an advantage and disadvantage instead of just upgrading weapons to make them stronger like most games do.

The game is not without it's flaws though. There's no lock on feature which sucks because it would have been useful, especially while I'm fighting a group of demons both aerial and ground enemies. You can pretty much defeat bosses easily by using the same strategy that you use when fighting common demons, though boss battles, especially Bob Barbas, are creative.

Capcom's retarded sale tactics of releasing a couple of skins as DLC are another issue, because one of which is the classic Dante. There's no taunt but that's not really an issue since Dante already has a bad mouth in the cutscenes.

In the end, DmC pulls off an unlikely reboot that feels fresh while holding on to what makes DMC so good. It's probably the third best game in the franchise. If you want to hold on to old Dante, why don't you just play the previous games. Original and 3 are still the best anyways.

The game may be a commercial failure but that's because fans boycott the game, not because it's bad. Call of Duty breaks world record sales on day one, does that mean it's the best gaming franchise ever made? Recommended for those who aren't a fan of DMC. Recommended for hardcore fans as well but a lot of them are still skeptical so it's best that they rent the game or borrow my copy from a friend.
  27. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  28. Jul 2, 2013
    DMC does nearly everything right. Cool graphics, very fast and motivating gameplay and great characters. I can't understand, why the old school- fans are crying about the new dante. Furthermore, the overall style of the game is just great. Did you even play it? Just do it. you will get some of the (graphically) best designed levels ever.
  29. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one
    of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top
    action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time. Expand
  31. Apr 6, 2013
    Great combat. The different weapons flow very well together and makes juggling fun. Fast paced with nice puzzles. Ive been a dmc fan from the start and this didn't disappoint. Music fits very well and the story is just amazing. My only gripe is it felt like a true prequel rather then a reboot. Either way i hope to see more.
  32. Apr 3, 2013
    It's a great game. I've been a fan of Devil May Cry since it demo'd long ago with another Capcom game. But I feel like they lost direction after the original. Devil May Cry 2 was great to play, I like Dantes look and the art but the story was That's when I started losing interest. I still bought and played all 4 games, but didn't care for it as much as I did when playing the original. Although I like Devil May Cry, I actually thoroughly enjoy the reinvented DMC: Devil May Cry. The story is great, characters are fantastic, the acting and reactions, the gameplay, the art and feel, the amazing soundtrack fits very well in my opinion. It's annoying when fanboy/fangirls don't give this game a real chance. Stop that it's not just like the older Devil May Cry games. It's not a remake, it's a reimagining! I will admit I liked the idea when I first read about DMC. Then after awhile I was starting to worry. Thinking it might be mediocre like 2, 3 and 4. Well 3 was decent. But DMC caught my eye and I thought they did an amazing job. It's great, A new, fresh beginning and I feel it will get even better with the sequel. Expand
  33. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some other people give this game some very under rated ratings. I give it a 10 out of 10 due to how well it explained how everything started, how Vergil and Dante began to hate each other and how all the demons came into the real world and Vergil became the leader of the Demon World. The combos are still the same and so are most of the weapons and powers. The new weapons are fantastic. Thank you for another great game. Also most people rate this game so low because of how young and different Dante is. Expand
  34. Mar 13, 2013
    Talk about breathing life into a franchise! I liked DMC! When i first heard it was a prequel/reboot(I hate prequels), I already started my disppointment, then I played the demo and was wowed. Then the game came in, and did NOY disappoint. The "emo Dante" complaints are so far off and half brained, I want to slap the nay sayers. The story was more than solid, the graphics-top notch, and the carachters interesting and engaging. The action was great, and was very fluid overall. Not quite as good as 3, but slighly better than the vastly underrated 4, DMC is a smash. 2nd best DMC overall. Expand
  35. Mar 12, 2013
    Look whatever im gonna say isnt gonna change these crazy DMC fan's mind. Like im a fan of the old and new Dante, and i actually enjoy this new take but people dont seem to have the mind to be able to move on.. Heck i can even relate myself to this NEW dante. People are so fond of this fictional character and would even blow on an ACTUAL good game like this? People are hating on this cuz its too easy to get a SSS or no lock on or something, its a freaken hack and slash game, no matter what the purpose of that genre is for you to kill a bunch of pile of Need a challenge? Play Dante must die and feel satisfied but honestly this game deserves more .....10/10 Expand
  36. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is great fun. Combat system is intuitive, and gives lots of variability with different weapons as they're unlocked. Great level design and art. The story is also good overall, and kept me playing to find out what happens next. My main complaint is that it was relatively short, but it has high replay value. I'll probably go through it a third time to find the last keys and doors that were missed the first two times. Don't understand why so many people hate this game. Expand
  37. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The story is quite intriguing, mature, gritty, dark and forms a perfect prequel for DMC3. Yeah I know it's a reboot but it just fits perfectly together.
    Profanity is there, but there are also some moments in there that made me feel angry like Dante and sad or completely ''WTF?!''-ed like Dante.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very
    good voice acting. And there IS humor. And the white wig joke was hilarious. Offending?! Seriously?! Nah...
    Soundtrack is BRUTAL and it doesn't make my ears bleed like in MGR:Revengeance, but that's just different taste in music. And I feel bad for NOISIA that the haters think that dubstep is only Skrillex.
    And you don't have the same battle song playing over again, and again, and again like in DMC3 4. Because sometimes I would stop playing, and play games with a better soundtrack DMC3 did have best ost material, but for me it was overshadowed by ''poser industrial techno metal''). Now we have Combichrist!
    Combat is fluid, smooth and has the old school DMC flare. It does lack an amount of extra moves which really is a bummer. And I didn't had any problem with DT. And there are always ways to play stylish instead of using trinity smash. Hell, DMC3 had DT Flux for Instant SSS. Vergil could be your with Royalguard. Forgotten about that huh? Combos can be linked with each other much more faster and smoother.
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    Difficulty could be kicked up a little bit, but you've always got SOS, DMD, HOH, HAH, Vergil's Downfall Bloody Palace for more replay value.
    The 30fps is really noticeable when you play with A/V cables on PS3, but on HDMI it's smooth like butter.
    I still think that the majority of the haters are still the ones who were extremely pissed at all those trailers. And didn't play this game with an open mind and still got their Nostalgic Goggles on while whining about everything. Saying that everyone should buy 4 HD Collection.
    DMC4 is superior in gameplay, but felt extremely rushed and was rushed. Bland anime story, hideous soundtrack( except for the song you hear during the Goddess Statue the 2nd half and Nero. I haven't touched it ever since I've got DmC. But hey...the haters got their way. This game didn't sell very well.
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    If DmC had the lock-on for extra input commands...DmC would be on par with DMC3 for real. Maybe even beat it.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees
  38. Mar 9, 2013
    A good hack and slash game that is in my opinion, better than Dmc4. The combat and story is great, and even though Dante isn't as cool as he was before, this version of him is much more human. Although, they did antagonise old Devil May Cry fans in the beginning, which is frankly quite a bad creative decision.
  39. Mar 8, 2013
    The new Dante isn't THAT bad, the games looks, feels and sounds fantastic. The story is ok, but the game is incredibly fun. I did want to hate this too, but I loved it. One of the best games I've played in a while and highly recommended.
  40. Mar 6, 2013
    Personally, I feel like most people here are way too hurt by the new change and can't accept a new Dante who doesn't look like a silver-haired anime freak. He almost reminds me of Constantine. I'm not one to write reviews, but wow is this game fun. The story was alright, but I was hooked from beginning to end. Missions were really fun, love the ones that predominantly relied on demon pull and angel lift weapons. You're never bored, because all enemies are affected by different weapons and different methods which means you can't just press a mashup of buttons all the time.

Pros: Dig the new half angel, half demon Dante, AND sympathetic, fun, love all the weapons (although some could be put to use more) Bosses, although easy, are some of the most visually impressive and memorable I've ever faced. I'm a longtime of Combichrist so I definitely dig the soundtrack. Cons: The godforsaken camera. During combat the camera decides to flip off to the oddest angle it can find and proves annoying in the most crucial moments. Lock-on would definitely help. You get thrown in a room of like 20 demons, and it auto aims all over the place. Just lovely. Another one: Too short. Other: Because some enemies are only affected by either Angel or Demon weapons, it renders the variety of your weapons useless. If I'm facing a frosted knight, I can pretty much only use either Osiris or Aquila, which throws all the possible combos out of the window really. They could improve it by emphasizing more on tactic to kill rather than angel or demon weapons. Conclusion: Don't listen to these negative reviews. Most of them are unfair as hell and biased. I'd bet my arm half of them hasn't even attempted to get past a couple missions. I had a blast playing it, and I'm still getting a kick out it replaying it. Demons, metal, and Combichrist, what more can a girl ask for?? 9 OUT OF EFFING 10. THANK YOU NINJA THEORY FOR THE REBOOT.
  41. Mar 5, 2013
    Any reasonable person with a fully functioning brain can see that this is a masterclass in how to do a reboot. The story, the characters, and most importantly, the gameplay have been revamped and updated for a more intelligent audience. I'm a big fan of the previous games especially DMC3, but this game really brings the series into the modern world, both in terms of story and in gameplay.

With just 2 trophies to go I've spent close to 50 hours on this game. Buy it.
  42. Feb 27, 2013
    Haters gonna hate This game is awesome!!!
  43. Feb 25, 2013
    Before i start i'd like to note that i am a huge DMC fan and have been one since it's inception in 2001.
    This game is no different! Dont listen to raging fanboys acting like children not giving this game a fair chance or review, because it's safe the say that this game is fantastic. 1. story and presentation It's the best looking, presented and grounded DMC to date. Dante feels like an
    actual person rather then a cliche anime pretty boy character. It's something as the series went on that DMC seemed to get confused and lost by. Dante this time around is a character that starts off carefree and flawed with lust but through out the game (with out spoiling) grows into the character and man he's supposed to be. Other then him Vergil is in the game and is final is a relatable character! Someone you can connect and have an emotional response to along side Dante. Kat is the new DMC girl and is not a busty girl with no character. Like Vergil she is someone you start to care for by the end of the game. With out spoiling the plot, it's definitely the most grounded DMC with the story more about character growth. My only complant about it is that it's cut short (like every game it seems now a day) and there are technical issues. Not in gameplay but some frame rate drops during cutscenes. Cutscenes which are gorgeous by the way! The mo cap that Ninja Theory is famous for is amazing! Dante feels, looks and acts like a real person with subtle to extreme animations. Any gamer that enjoys and appreciates art should pick up this game! It's hard to describe just how amazing the game looks! 2. Music and sound
    Like it or not the music is great! It fits the exact tone NT is going for. The music was composed by Noisia (electronic band) and Combichrist. (industrial band) They do a great job setting up the atmosphere and pumping you up for the battle at hand. I love the music in DMC and this one is no different! I didnt know how i felt about Noisia using dubstep but thats only a small portion of the music. They are so versatile that the music can fit into many genres (thats why i call them an electronic band not a dubstep band) from the soft strings in Kat's them, to The dubstep track for Mundas theme to the retro arcade song. Combichrist songs were used for the battle themes. I loved the metal with electronic synth which will build up as you gain your S ranking which also makes Dante faster as you yourself react faster. It's great when it's in effect and really pumps you up as your slaying demons! Other then that the sound effects are also amazing from the weapon, and creatures to the sound of limbo crushing the world. 3.Gameplay and value
    This is the area in which most fans (myself included) were scared about. in past ninja theory games, they proved that there game play had many issues and being quite shallow. However this time around with Capcoms ad thats not the case. The combat is different but similar and as smooth as ever! It's more approachable but just as hardcore as the last. I was surprised how smooth it ran on 30 fps (the pc version runs on 60 which looks fantastic) however slower then the past dmc games doesn't make the combat less or better but something fresh. The game is fun! and with many different difficulties and enemy re spawns should keep the player busy for a while. Things that caught my attention quick was the lack of lock on....it's not a major issue but when fighting multipul enemies it can get confusing. Also the game for me at least wasn't that challenging (comparing it the past dmc games) however i'm a huge dmc player and have SSS'd all the games on all difficulties and create combo videos on youtube so i do have that advantage over other players. Again it doesn't really take away from the experience but should be noted. 3. Conclusion
    This game had been getting a bad name from the online community with some people acting like children condemning what is a very fine work of art. Therefore what i ask the reader is to go into the game open minded with out judging a book by the cover. you will be surprised just how jaw dropping the game is. It's very artist, looks great, has great characters with some humor and above all else has fun silky smooth gameplay.
  44. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people coming into the series (counting this view) the story is quite solid, with both likeable, creative and understandable antagonists. Expand
  45. Feb 24, 2013
    DMC is a great "new start" for Devil May Cry Series!
    The story is more mature, and tell the story of Dante's Family perfectly!
    And with the contents for DLC: "Vergil's Fall" and the "Tower of Battle", the "new and old" costumes for Dante and visual of his guns and swords too, the game gain more replay factor, hours of gameplay, and make happy the guys that dont like much this "new"
    Dante, and the guys who like, too!
    The music and art of this game, is a masterpiece! Great moments in all game!
    A fantastic experience for new players, and the more traditional fans of DMC series!
    Ninja Theory, and Capcom, congratulations for this game! And continue this partnership work!
  46. Feb 19, 2013
    I just finished the game and i found it amazing Don't hate it because they change the character or anything else of course they will it is a reboot. The studio made a great game and they certainly don't deserve an average score of 4.1 This game at least deserves an 8.5
  47. Feb 17, 2013
    This user score actually defines the term" metabombed.'It's a joke for this game to have such a low score. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Actually the fact that it doesn't have a lock-on feature is wildly inexcusable. As some have complained, why have two evades when you can add a lock on? Honestly, I can't truly give this game anything more than an 8 because of this horrible oversight. I'm giving it a 10, though, to meagerly help this score. I don't want to get into the thick of the game because everyone has done that already. If you liked DmC, buy this. It's great. I went back and played 1-3 to see what all these true fans are talking about. I disagree. Yeah it's not as magical as 1 or 3, and the combos are a bit too easy to chain. The angel weapon is virtually useless, and it's extremely annoying to be mandated when to use them. The demon weapon, on the other hand, is pretty great. I wish there were a few more combos that can be done with individual weapons. The story is pretty interesting. The character development is definitely interesting. I can't wait to see what Ninja Theory offers for their next installment in this series. I frankly would get this game just to get Vergil's Downfall, which looks absolutely amazing. By that, what I really mean is that Vergil as a character looks to have incredible abilities. And for those who are complaining about his hair. Don't worry, you can change it to white after you beat the game. But c'mon, guys, really? Complaining this much about hair color? I wish they kept their original version of Dante (he looked a lot darker, more sinister). Expand
  48. Feb 16, 2013
    Some times the community is a complete This game is AWESOME and a liked it very much Only the cinematics from the game are a stand alone movie... For me just go buy it ..But if you are not sure check out some videos on YouTube :D
  49. Feb 15, 2013
    I'm currently just past half-way [chapter 11 of 18] through my first playthrough of the game, which I started on Nephilim, as someone familiar with Melee Combat/Hack-n-Slash games like Bayonetta and DMC4. I was hungry for a good hack-n-slash melee combat game after struggling to enjoy Darksiders [meh!] a third time after 2 game breaking glitches! [superMEH!]. give me a break! It was a relief to find a game with deep, fluid combat. While not quite reaching Bayonetta levels of combat, it does a fairly good job of reaching the height of DMC 4 (only DMC I played, which I totally enjoyed) in terms of combat. Gameplay advances like the ability to control the camera make for a much improved experience. Control scheme is a little convoluted, but you eventually get used to switching between angel, devil and regular modes. It's does seem tough to work in combat variety [style points!] for specific angel or devil enemies.. tho i suppose switching weapons helps a bit there. the graphics are pretty fantastic, and the environments are very cool.. much better than previous generations of this franchise. I was honestly dying for a game with fluid, engaging melee combat, and this game has it in spades. Using Angel Demon pulls to zip around the environments and slay baddies stylishly feels very cool. I find myself wanting to go back into the game when I'm at work, and I surprisingly put in over 10 hours in my first two days.. which is more than I'd usually commit. I'm excited to unlock everything and then start the harder, remixed unlocked modes.. so that should give you an idea of how i'm feeling about the game overall. There's been alot of hate for this game. I guess people just want the same game over and over. shame that, I think Ninja Theory has done a very respectable job of modernizing and 'rebooting' the DMC series. I'll weigh in again once i've completed the full game at least once, but so far, it's scratching the itch I had for good, deep melee combat. Definitely worth a try, regardless of the haters, if you like that sort of thing. Expand
  50. Feb 12, 2013
    I wasn't too sure who to believe at first, the actual game review sites or the yuppies who cant appreciate a new take on a modern classic. I've played all the DMC games and I feel like Dante hasn't changed at all other than a few extra swears and a new adolescent attitude. And please people get over the cosmetics and give Ninja Theory some credit for taking on such a task in rebooting a franchise with such fan loyalty and doing a great job modernizing and relating the game to some popular current issues Devil May Cry. As for the game itself, great combat and environments. It is very much like the old Devil May Cry games with rounded edges instead of square, if you know what i mean. If you haven't noticed all games today have taken the route of being more "accessible" or easier for new gamers; and how I remedy that is just up the difficulty and if you still don't like it quit playing and buy the Devil May Cry collection and play the old ones. Great game by a great developer, best thing Capcom has done for itself in quite awhile. Congrats to Ninja Theory and cant wait to see the next DmC game. Expand
  51. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has given me faith in game development, but unfortunately will go down as another flop thanks to the millions who became rabid for really dumb reasons and now we have a yet another ruined gamed thanks to these idiots. Congratulations to those who complained and attacked this game for every single reason they could make up, you won, and now what is really an awesome game will suffer the fate of crappy ones and another wound to the gaming industry has been opened.
    Pros- enhanced graphics with chaotic and beautiful environments, fast combat with endless ways to string combos together, heavy music, improved story and characters, great platforming that adds a new dynamic, multiple difficulties, lots of secrets.
    Cons- upgrades could have a little more depth and variety, additional weapons to play around with would be nice, a few bad scripted lines but no biggie, again the story has actually improved, crappy fan base, gamers today like destroying awesome things resulting in bad business practices/ layoffs/ series being ended, developers leaving and then go and complain when those things happen.
  52. Feb 9, 2013
    This is an excelent reboot for the series. The combat is fun and recognizable so its not trying to be a whole new game which is good. The voice acting is great all around but most importantly the story. We get to see dante right as he learns who he is and that he has a brother. We see what starts there feud and get an understanding of there parents and background. Theresmore platforming than id like but this is a great way to restart the series. No goofy overly cheesy crap that the original team was starting to do giving the game a great feel. I have nothing to complain about. It all flows so well. This game was great under ninja theory Expand
  53. Feb 9, 2013
    Wow, there's a lot of people hating on the game, calling BETRAYAL and stuff. To me DMC 4 was an awful installment of the series. And it was obvious, that they need to do something different with next DMC. They did! And OMG its a great game. I love the Dante character. His jokes were top notch and i've found his one-liners awesome. I love the turn the game makes in story department, cause, lets be serious, DMC franchise doesent made any sense. While this one is an awesome start for new DMC. Expand
  54. Feb 8, 2013
    Where to start hmm ok DMC fan from day 1 dmc 3 being the epitome of this genre along with Bayonetta, with nothing ever coming even close. i'd give this game 8.8 10 ,I was pissed with the new dante but turns out he's fine and his voice acting is better handled. Vergil on the other hand was just one of my fav. characters ever and they kinda made him lame so as far as art direction goes this game is weird yet awesome, graphics are very polished (though not a fan of unreal engine But this really really depends on how well you know ninja theory, this is very easily described as 70% dmc and 30 heavenly sword but only the pros came along from HS. TBH DMC 4 sucked imho and this is miles better but still cant come close to Dante's awakening, Nevertheless kudos to ninja theory they freaking put eth they had into this and it paid off and more importantly it shows, i still have to say they should have definitly made Dante's movements more fluid and put a trigger system. i feel for the bashers but seriously meta bombing to a 4.0 is just cruel Expand
  55. Feb 8, 2013
    It is such a shame that this game has not been judged in it's own right. What is even more of a shame is that bitter fans are trying to trick newcomers into avoiding the game by giving it ridiculously low scores.

The game is not without fault- I agree that the combat is certainly more simplified than previous iterations and the lack of target lock-on can frustrate, but neither of
    these elements are anywhere near as detrimental to the experience as angry fans would have you believe.

Dante's arsenal is varied enough to allow finesse, without feeling overwhelming. The angel weapons feel slick and fluid while their demonic counterparts are weighty and impactful The platforming elements are for the most part intuitive and smooth, while allowing for a more leisurely viewing of the game's incredibly creative environments, without bringing the pace to a grinding halt.

The characters are well rounded and engaging and the acting is great. The playful and often humorous approach to the world does not detract from the more serious moments of the game, and Ninja Theory have managed to make a story involving nephilims and limbo feel relatable and current.
  56. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  57. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay for DmC is amazing. It’s much easier now to keep a combo going and seeing as your ranking doesn’t keep on dropping (once you haven’t hit an enemy in a while but are still in combat) its not a bad thing, but obtaining those “SSS” rankings at the end of a mission still gives you a great sense of achievement and just further proves how awesome you are at this game. Enemies in the game do vary and honestly make you want to switch between every single weapon (in the majority of fights) to keep building your combo and just improve your overall skills in the game. Platforming is a major factor in DmC, and seeing as you have angel and demon powers, you do actually feel more like a powerful demon rather than in every previous Devil May Cry game. I love gilding through the air and on to platforms and avoiding enemies moves using the angel evade. The devil powers just make you feel like a powerful badass and you can easily destroy most enemies in the game just by using your devil powers (bar the ones that require angel abilities to be killed). Your primary weapons are Rebellion and Ivory (granted Ebony Ivory are the weakest weapons in the game and are pretty much useless). I rarely found myself using the primary weapons at any point after the second mission. DmC actually has a story that you can follow and its a pretty decent story for a hack slash game. I’m not going to spoil anything, but if you’ve played any Devil May Cry game before then the same old stands that Vergil is the main villain in the game and more or less always will be. That’s probably the one thing that “true Devil May Cry fans” will approve of. Its also a perfectly paced game and it never gives you one dull moment, you just power up through the first few levels, enjoy great platforming sections, good boss battles and then have some good cutscenes in between.

I honestly wasn’t looking forward to this game seeing how much of a disappointment Devil May Cry 4 was, but I ended up loving it and so far I have replayed it 6 times and have 1000G’d it and even though the levels eventually become the same old same old, I always had to go back and gather all the collectables and then completing the hardest difficulty in the game which is “Hell and Hell” mode. There are also 21 secret mission to be completed, some of them are challenging but honestly they just give you more value to the overall experience and replay value that you will get out of DmC. Needless to say, I can’t wait for Ninja Theory’s next instalment in this DmC reboot.
  58. Feb 5, 2013
    DmC is like any reboot. It is only going to please the people who thought that the saga of games in question were getting: boring, dull and uninteresting. So Ninja Theory took the DMC franchise and added: Excellent voice acting, good animations, new added weapons and a well thought out story. at the expense of: FPS and a Little more basic combat style. Those who judge the game ENTIRELY on the fact that Dante has black hair and the western setting should be more open minded in my opinion.

I had a lot of fun with the game and I am a fan of the older ones and with the new Heaven and Hell and Hell or Hell difficulty modes it doesn't get too easy and it also adds quite a bit of replay value so you do get your money's worth. With the addition of the new 'Angel' and 'Demon' modes, the combat in the game it a lot more intuitive and flows more however later in the game some weapons start to become less useful and you end up not using them at all. The story and voice acting are top notch however be prepared for a little drama in the story. One of the biggest improvements however are the environments and boss battles. There are 20 missions in total and it took me about 7 9 hours to complete on my first playthrough. you spend almost all of the game in 'Limbo' a crazy and beautifully made environment with a nice color scheme and there is also a unique way the environment moves; the ground will break apart and the walls will crush together creating floating platforms where you can use your Angel and Demon abilities to grapple and pull yourself from place to place, this unique platforming mechanic does however get repetitive and sometimes kind of frustrating. The other thing that this game has done well are the boss battles. These are a joy to play, each one is unique and some are even original. the boss battles are designed perfectly however if they become to challenging, just restart the mission on a lower difficulty. e.g. My first playthrough was on Nephilum mode and at a certain boss i found it slightly difficult so i simply restarted the one mission on Devil Hunter mode and later I came back and finished it on Nephilum mode. I recommend buying the game on PC if you have all 3 platforms as on the PS3 and XBOX360 there is some texture pop-in in the cutscenes and, on PC it runs at 60 fps whereas on consoles it runs a a lower 30 fps. unless you look very closely at both side by side can you see a difference between PC and console. However if you only have a console then the game still looks great. DmC: Devil May Cry has: great story, great voice acting improved combat, fun and challenging bosses, great graphics, good music to accompany it all and well made, well textured, well colored, unique environments to experience it all in. It is defiantly worth buying at full price for newcomers and old school fans alike. (after you finish the game the first time, you unlock a white haired Dante costume/skin anyways so that should please some of the fans of the old DMC games).
  59. Feb 4, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combat ensures that this is a distinguishable entry from Capcom's pure juggernaut. There are bouts of iffy platforming, rote boss battles and uninteresting character design, but these all pale under the immensely detailed world that has been bestowed. Beautiful, fresh and badass, Ninja Theory has reinvigorated Dante with a great action game to start the year off in style. Expand
  60. Feb 4, 2013
    I love this game! My full review is on the 360 version but I have played this one as well. Don't buy into what people are saying on this site with all the negative. I mean, I can show you a game worth a 1 or 2or 3 or 4, ever play vampire rain? Now that's a bad game. This game is leaps and bounds above anything like that. My two favorite DMC games are now this one and DMC3. Action fans should definitely check it out. Expand
  61. Feb 3, 2013
    If you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit more casual, the scenarios are amazing and the overall presentation of the game is great. To be honest, I was a great DmC fan, I finished all three first of them, but the fourth one, even tho it was amazingly well done, it was boring to the point that I just stopped playing it near the end, this one has a fresh story, characters and background, it makes you feel like its an evolution of the game rather than just another chapter. Expand
  62. Feb 2, 2013
    This is my first review here and i just registered to defend this game!
    All those haters voting it with a 0,i mean u have to be very immature to rate any game with a 0 and this game doesnt deserve any rating under 7! U may not like the new Dante,or the new style,but even if u dont like how it looks,this game is still fun to play!
    Ninja Theory did an awesome job with the reboot and
    brought us one of the best games in the genre. DmC is one of the best games i ever played and yes,i was a huge fan of the "old" DMC too.
    Get ur head out of ur a** and give it a chance,u wont regret it.
  63. Feb 1, 2013
    I was very surprised with the game, mostly since I heard so many people whine about it. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's DMC with the same Dante, just earlier on in his life. Plus you unlock the white haired look when you beat the game once. Difficulty was not a problem, I played it on the 3rd difficulty out of 7 I believe, was mildly challenging. Unlocked the next one and got destroyed, and I'm a guy who's amongst the top 100 players on several missions on the leaderboard. The language was quite crude at points, but that's pretty much a trade mark of the series. The level design was quite great, I loved the limbo areas. Can't say there's anything bad with the game at all! Maybe that it lacked content, could have had more, I finished it in about 20 hours, but there are more difficulties to play through. Expand
  64. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  65. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  66. Jan 27, 2013
    I think this game is not for the hard core fan. I never played any DMC games before this one. I feel like most of the reviews that are bad on here are from the hardcore fans that don't like the changes. So far I am loving it. I am about halfway through from what i can tell, so keep that in mind, but the game play is fun, the fighting is only as stale as you make it, and the story so far is really well done. It FEELS like its building up to something really good, and every level seems like its epic in it own way. If there is a huge let down, or something charges, ill change my score. So far though really loving the game. Expand
  67. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't listen too all the negative reviews because this it not as bad as it is claimed to be. Being a big fan of the 1st and 3rd game, I gotta say that this game is pretty damn good and it has a lot of qualities that make it sometimes better than the main series. My play through of the game was on hard and this will be more of a comparative review to the other games.

GAMEPLAY is good,
    smooth, solid and the whole 30fps thing doesn't make any difference when playing, it doesn't chug or look terrible in any sense. There is not a lock on mode this time around which may sound like a bad choice but the auto lock is done very well, I had no problems whatsoever targeting those I want to hit even when they are way in the back of a horde of monsters. Devil Trigger isn't that great this time around, before using the DT would enhance your abilities and holding the DT button before activating can give way to some strategic energy blasts for clearing clusters of enemies. Now the DT just blasts the enemies in the air for you go combo crazy for short amount of time and just, for me, serves as nothing more as a 'get off me' button. This game takes some elements from the 4th game where you can grapple enemies to either bring them to you or you to them but thankfully doesn't make it piss easy as Nero makes it in the 4th game with his OP instakills arm abilities. The ranking system is much more forgiving in this one but at the same time isn't as rewarding either which kind of makes it pointless this time around.

WEAPONS are a bit lackluster when compared to the 3rd game as this one only has 3 guns and 5 weapons; 2 Angelic which are quick and good for groups but deal less damage and 2 Demonic which are slow but good for single targets and deal a lot of damage. You don't have to worry about which ones you want to bring each mission as you will always have them on you. Rebellion in default, holding R2 will bring out Demonic weapons and L2 for Angelic weapons which makes having which one you want out a breeze.

LEVEL DESIGN is absolutely awesome this time around, much, MUCH better than the previous games. The designs are beautiful and varied unlike the string lined, claustrophobic and generally dull feel of the originals. There is a little bit more emphasis on exploring the levels as the lost souls, keys, and secret rooms are hidden throughout the levels and sometimes inaccessible until you get later weapons to add a little to the game for the next play though. The mostly takes place in LIMBO where the real world gets ripped up and twisted which give the developers freedom to do just about whatever they can think of making for some awesome experiences.

CHARACTERS and STORY is better overall this time around with the demons in control of everything from behind the scenes through the media and whatnot unlike before where the story boils down to "They are opening the gate to the demon world, we have to stop them!". I thought I was going to hate this version of Dante but they have come through and did a pretty good job. He reminds me a little more of Nero than previous Dante, like Nero being more serious but will occasionally joke and insult here and there. Vergil on the other hand is a bit jarring, basically take Vergil from 3 and turn his character around, I did not like this version at all but is a decent character at best on his own merits.

ENEMIES and BOSSES are pretty good here as well and I overall prefer this roster of enemies more than the previous games, starting off a little too easy but later on offering up quite a challenge without being annoying or feeling cheap and dirty. The bosses in this game, though not very difficult, they felt fresh and were not as annoying, frustrating, or boring like a lot of the other bosses in the previous games. While I still prefer the bosses in 3 I do like the overall designs of DmC's bosses way more than games 1, 2, and 4.

MUSIC surprised me here, I thought it was going to suck. I thought it was going to be the most annoying, stupid euro pop crap I was gonna ever hear based on the old trailers but to my surprise they kept it very similar to the 3rd games style. No complaint here but I do wish they would have had some of those angelic themes and piano themes from the 3rd game but that is just me.

OVERALL I think Ninja Theory did a fantastic job here and in a lot of ways improving what the previous team(s) kept failing to improve. Better than 3? I don't know I am still trying to figure that out but I do like it way more the 1, 2(lol) and 4. Give it a shot.
  68. Jan 26, 2013
    First things first: in terms of raw gameplay, this is the best of the series, hands down. For an action game, this is about as good as it gets, and the animation and style throughout are incredible. I've played all the DMC games, and let's not pretend like they're all classics...to be honest I only really loved the first one , but let's be honest, the storyline and characters have been terrible throughout the series. To me, it is shocking to see all the people whining on here about how the characters and story have been "ruined." You would have to have the emotional maturity of a brain damaged nine year old to have "fallen in love" with characters like that. Yes, I was kind of rolling my eyes at first with the new emo/goth/trailer park Dante, but in hindsight it makes his demeanor much more appropriate...other than that, he's pretty much the same. The one thing I will say is that the difficulty is much more reasonable than it was in past games, so I would venture to say most people should start on the hardest setting, and if you want it to be impossible, the really insane modes open up after you complete the game, as always. Expand
  69. Jan 26, 2013
    I'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out for yourself whether or not it's worthy of the unfavorable user score. My rating: 10 :P Expand
  70. Jan 26, 2013
    I loved dmc devil may cry. The story is alot better then previous games simply because the was more depth. In previous games characters just pop up out of nowhere, just like vergil did in dmc3. Dmc4 had nero. As awesome as he was, he also popped up out of nowhere. This dmc gave structure to dante. He was pretty much an orphan and in the game discovers his true identity. He discovers that he has a twin (Vergil) and that his mother and father were angel and demon. So discover he is a hybrid (nephilim).
    The game's story is also about the corrupted world and how banks and energy companies control humans. This is much like the real conspiracy which I liked about the game.
    Yes people complained about Dante not having white hair. Well he is a young Dante so he is yet to discover his true potential.
    The combat is fast and smooth. Only thing I miss in the version is the stylish gun play and the running up walls etc.

This is a great game and people who moan about this game are the ones who just love to moan.
  71. Jan 25, 2013
    I was very septical when I've heard about the new DMC. First of all, I've enjoyed all previous Devil May Cry (1 to 4). The new DMC is clearly different, but is definitely a masterpiece. I had the opportunity to play the PC version that had a great framerate. I've heard that the console versions had few problems. The story, the gameplay machanics and the graphics are simply amazing. It has slightly less combos than the previous ones and the game difficulty might be too easy when not playing on hard, but I think it's great that way. Veterans can play on Hard... And harder and still have some challenges. The musics are even better than the previous games. I'm giving a 9 out of 10. Expand
  72. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels. 10/10.
  73. Jan 25, 2013
    I been a DMC fan since the first game and this version of DMC was good and interesting about changing the half demon to nephilim. But the only thing that I thought that it was to easy were to fight the bosses including fighting Mundus and Vergil. I think that it should be more difficult than fighting than the previous ones. The music was great , good graphics , interesting stories( a little confused with the previous ones but interesting the point of view) , but the combos were a little easy. And Vergil looks like an idiot with that hat . Expand
  74. Jan 25, 2013
    I dont generally understand this DMC hate, even i have played all dmc games before. This game needed a change, it cant be the same like always. And you could say it needed a reboot with more cinematics and explained story. Many fans say this game is horrible but dont explains it why. And if they tell you the reason to hate this game, its ridiculous coz they are not true. You could find many more worse games on the market, which deserves 0 grade. You have to open minded in every chapter of game you get your hands on. And more objective to rewiev games. You have to look the big picture here, not your personal feelings with you to review games and shout non-sense **** Ninja Theory did it and they did it with huge respect and good work. Ninja theory focused this time to DMC with more cinematics, more storyline and dialogues. This is hack 'n slash game with more explained dmc story.
    Yes you can find differences with older DMC, but thats not the point here. This is REBOOT. This is ninja theory version of DMC. AND this DMC IS GOOOD! Level design is much better than before: no more running from room to room like before. This time its more jumping from A to B, and hooking yourself to other places. And levels are more creative than before. Gameplay: its kick-ass. You can have 5 weapons to use them to enemies and change them during combos in a fly. Just use your imagination and create your own awesome combos to defeat enemies. Dialogues are very funny and based on characters. Dante talks like Dante, funny sarcastic and cool. Vergil is older brother being more wiser. Kat is a helpful young girl who thinks about others. This is more serious DMC than ever before. The reason why I don't give 10 to this game, is hack 'n slash games especially DMC how its being build, they need more bosses in this game. This has 6 and its fine, but 10 bosses with more challenge, this game would be the game of the year easily.
  75. Jan 25, 2013
    Fanboys need to cease an desist, because I can't take this drama any longer. This is a great game. It's very artistic, beautiful, and it's super fun. Please let's not judge a game because of the past. It's about the GAME.
  76. Jan 24, 2013
    I dont usually write on reviews. But I can't take this too much hate for DMC. This game is GREAT! It's a REBOOT for God's sake! Stop being FANBOYS be open for change :) . If you dont play this. You will miss half of your life! ;)
  77. Jan 24, 2013
    An awesome reboot for mature audience. All I can say. It's a shame that such a great masterpiece is drowning under fake unfavourable rates and reviews, written by wacko "fanboys", who still cry about "Old anime retarded douchebag with affected pathos", and don't want to accept new, stylish punk. Such "persons" even don't know differences between emo and hipster cultures to start with. And they cry about things they even don't understand correctly. Expand
  78. Jan 23, 2013
    I'm trying to even up the scores a bit here cause this game doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I can promise you that if this game had a different name it would have so much more praise. The game is fun but people just don't like change they want the characters to stay the same and the game play to not evolve. I don't like the new Dante as much as the old one but that doesn't mean the game is automatically bad. Try it out and stop acting like **** who want everything their own way, not even caring about how much time and effort Ninja Theory put into the game to create their own take on the DmC universe. Expand
  79. Jan 23, 2013
    Thank you Ninja Theory for building a new foundation for DmC and it's characters to grow. Not only did you bring back the characters we loved but made them deep and gave them growth throughout the story. After beating this game I can only imagine what Ninja Theory could bring for the next DmC games. Please, keep it up. Don't be mislead by the angry user reviews (I honestly don't know what they are crying about) and play. this. game. DMC fan or not, it's a blast. Expand
  80. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is actually amazing. I do miss the snarky playful attitude of the old Donte but this reboot is an new origin story that is surprisingly rich and I can see our new protagonist growing into the role of the snarky proud and powerful role that we so loved in the Third game (in time). Spoiler waring. By the end of the game Donte's hair is white and Vergil becomes a nemesis true to form, so stop your **** There is actually alot of potential with this new story and I hope to see more of it in the future. Sure the plot could have used a bit of cheesy, over the top moments that Hideki Kamiya is so known for. However that could be easily remedied in a sequel. Basically what I'm saying is that this reboot is not as much of a betrayal as the raving fanboys claim it is. Story aside, the combat and game play of DMC is at the top of it's form and I personally find it better then even the previous titles. My only real complaint is that the "Human" and "Devil Hunter" difficulty's are too easy. However the game is extremely replayable and with difficulty's like "Son of Sparda", "Dante Must Die" and "Heaven or Hell" there is not reason to worry about it to casuals because there is plenty to offer to even seasoned veterans of the series. This entry into the series is not as memorable as Devil May Cry 3 but it's defiantly more fun then any of the other games in the series. Next to Dark Souls this has to be currently one of my favorite games too play. Expand
  81. Jan 23, 2013
    First, let me present my relevant history. I am a fan of the original Devil May Cry series, having bought and played the first one on the PS2, and have every installment to date. I am also a fan of Ninja Theory's previous titles having played and enjoyed 'Heavenly Sword' and 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West'. For my part I thoroughly enjoyed DmC, it is admittedly easier than its original predecessor but then so are most modern games, the combat remains intuitive, creative and entertaining. I found the story to be an improvement on previous titles, even if the ending was unfortunately something of a damp squib. Its use of modern circumstances are an interesting new take on demonic intervention in the affairs of man and it was more involved than 'random island, demon king trying to initiate the apocalypse (take my word for it), do much killing there please'; though I still enjoy the latter form of story. Also, I prefer the environments which are far broader and greater in variation, ranging from seaside piers to a modern office complex. Furthermore, the voice acting (asides from one notable instance) is greatly improved, contributing to the experience as does the effective use of motion capture technology. An initial run through will probably take around 7 and a half hours, however there are various secret missions to unlock within the game and I found myself compelled to play it over and over so as to unlock the various difficulty settings. In regard to what appears the single most divisive issue, the new Dante, I actually didn't mind him. I enjoyed his flippant, dead-pan one-liners and believed this version demonstrated stronger emotional connections with other characters than previous incarnations. In summary I enjoyed all aspects of this game and believe it to be more than worthy of the Devil May Cry series, even if it is noticeably easier than its original incarnation of 2001. I gladly recommend it to anyone with a general interest in the hack'n'slash genre and earnestly hope that a sequel is planned by Ninja Theory and Capcom, which, in my opinion, have proven themselves a formidable duo. Expand
  82. Jan 23, 2013
    The game is awesome, is a different beast from the old DMC and is a good thing, I really enjoined DMC1, 2 and even 4 but I always find Dante quite a lame '80 hair metal dude, this new style is a different kind of lame, with style. Emo Gothic **** a part is a great game with a great story, great combo, awesome different plays style from the newbie to the **** hole hardcore perfectionist.
  83. Jan 22, 2013
    I am another lifer as far as the series goes. As many people I didn't have a lot of love for 2 and unlike many people I got a lot of enjoyment out of 4. I am not sure how many of these reviews are legit, but this game is quite well designed. You may not love it but there is no way it is 4. I personally had a blast with this game even when I expected not to. I am very pleased with what Ninja Theory has pulled off in this game. The environments and weapon switching during combat are especially enjoyable and polished. Expand
  84. Jan 22, 2013
    Great game, with a ton of character. The action is fast and frenzied while remaining more accessible than previous games. The reboot of Dante is great with many throwbacks to his old look and an ending that is transforming him into his older self. Overall a must play.
  85. Jan 22, 2013
    Yes I'm a DMC fan and I've played all DMC games up to now. I have to admit the first two were okay (though DMC2 was pretty bad), the 4th was so-so but the 3rd rocked solid! This new reboot takes the good additions from DMC4 and brings back good ol' Dante. Yes he's looking different, but the character feels alot more alive that the first ones. Gameplay is really nice on top of that! The only point I dislike a little is that you have 2 dodge buttons and no lock-on button.. Nevertheless, this game is very worth playing!! Expand
  86. Jan 22, 2013
    As an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. I liked the character and felt it was a great reboot of the franchise. A younger Dante will attract younger games as many people like myself who were teenagers when the first game came out are now in our late twenties and sadly are no longer the target market for the franchise. I do think it is extremely interesting the difference between used scores and critic scores. I am sure if this game had been the very first game of the franchise it would have been loved but fans hate it when their favourite characters are messed with. Personally i think those of the younger generation will love this game alot more than those of us who have grown up with the white haired dante for many years. I did not like the mention of the word nephilim and am sure it was even misspelled. A nephilim is actually a child of an angel and a human not a demon and a human so that was actually wrong. I would have given this game a 9 out of 10 but as i can see it only has a 4 in 558 rating which is totally wrong i am inclined to give it a 10. I must say that the people marking this game down really need to relax and enjoy a good attempt to reboot an amazing franchise. Expand
  87. Jan 22, 2013
    I have no clue how any fan of the DmC series would not love this game. For me, it is by far my favorite and for those who don't like "emo" Dante grow up. He isn't "emo" by any standards and I think his personality is far better than the previous Dante. GAMEPLAY -Two words. Top notch. Switching between the various weapons takes a little getting used to but overall its a great system with endless combos. I would say the combat is up to par with the previous entries in the series but I do think that getting high ranking combo's is much easier than I remember. However, getting those "SSS" style combos makes you feel like a bad ass.

STORY - By far the best story in the series. I was actually engaged and interested throughout the game. The relationship between Dante and Virgil is a nice change of pace from previous games. The comedic relief and witty remarks are up to par with the series as well. OVERALL - Great game. Don't listen to those reviews of people who don't like the "Emo" Dante or think it's too easy. Have they tried Hell and Hell or Dante Must Die difficulties? Listen to someone who has actually played the game, unlike most of the others on here.
  88. Jan 22, 2013
    When a game is rebooted, it means that the previous games had a lame plot, or for making new fans. I think previous Devil May Cry games were actually awesome games. I didn't understand the reason of this reboot, but it's done already, so let's face it: the old storyline is over (for now!!).
    I will analyze some points of the game:
    Gameplay: Always engaging, the only flaw is the easiness
    of making high rank, but it's compensated by the various difficulty of the game.
    Sound: the idea to mix old rock-metal songs with some dubstep tracks isn't so bad at all. I found them exciting at some point.
    Video: some bad textures and some bad shadows doesn't ruin a game, but they are however flaws.
    Story: that's the most important thing of all the game: how to make a better story if the old story is awesome? Ninja Theory transposed the character of DMC saga in a new, more politically focused story, trying to use some plot device modern, using things like debts, mass media to explain while the demon are ruining the city.
    When I first play this game, I noticed a detail: the new-Dante is like a younger Dante than the DMC3 Dante, more insecure, but always a **** demon slayer. The separation between world and limbo (another dimension parallel to the world where there are demons) is a cool idea,but I always liked the idea of demons among us.
    Eventually I have a advice for all of you: if you never play old DMCs, but you like the hack/slash game, then buy/rent this game (the story is short, but there are a lot of things to do ingame, and 7 difficulties, changing the mobs you will find and the skill sets of this mobs) and play it; if you are a fan of the old DMC, grab this game, because the atmosphere overall will satisfy you, the thing of making like a parallel story (marvel/ultimate marvel style) isn't bad at all, and play it till the end, there is a surpise ;)
  89. Jan 21, 2013
    This game is a great entry in the series. I am a veteran of the DMC series and DmC does not disappoint. If you haven't tried this game for yourself, give it a shot and don't let the negative reviews spook you. Most hate directed towards this game is from Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise, not the game itself. It has all of the modes, replayability and difficulty (on higher levels) of the previous games. I loved the art style and the way the story was presented as well. It's worth playing. Get to it' Expand
  90. Jan 20, 2013
    Don't list to most of the trolls on here- DmC is a fantastic game. It's right up there with Devil May Cry 1 and 3 - and is arguably better in some regards (the story is more coherent and the writing/voice acting is FAR better). The only complaint I could see people having is that the initially available difficulty modes are a bit easy for the franchise- but hardcore modes open up once you've completed the story once. All in all, great game that is only getting bashed by fanboys who are sour that Dante has a hair cut like a human punk instead of a cartoony anime character Expand
  91. Jan 20, 2013
    Whatever your stance on rebooting the series, DmC is a great game built to respect the core of the original series.

Travel back a few months ago and you
  92. Jan 19, 2013
    The reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. They were so unsure about adding Nero into the series, so they decided to keep Dante in the game so the fans will outgrow the Nero situation. They handed it over to Ninja Theory instead of being hesitant, they put someone else to take the blame. Ninja Theory decided to reboot the series, make a clearer backstory even if it's corny(Everybody is. Suck it up, people.)

Konami have already done this. Look at Silent Hill, Without KCET(Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo) & Akira Yamaoka, it will never be Silent Hill again.

Squaresoft/SQUARE-ENX have already done this, too: Final Fantasy, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu & **** Amano(Yes, did you notice the BG Signature logo of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy: Flying Brigade & Final Fantasy: All The Bravest? **** Amano doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.) Final Fantasy will never be awesome.

Graphics? It's never been about the graphics. If you want it to be about the graphics then wait for the Windows PC version, maximize your settings just to calm down your AA OCD.

I gave it a 10. Why? I love Devil May Cry. Giving it a low score is like giving a middle finger to the entire Devil May Cry franchise. If you feel that this franchise is dying, stop being a hypocrite-- I KNOW YOU'LL PLAY THE NEXT ONE then post something negative about it.
  93. Jan 19, 2013
    I was very skeptical about DmC. Frankly, I was mostly ambivalent about the original titles and I thought the reboot concept was beneath Ninja Theory's taste-level. Rarely am I this happy to have been so wrong. I finally "get" the beauty of the original elements, while Ninja Theory busted their ass to take the existing themes and elevate them to a new level. Let me just say this - give this game an hour of your time and it will make you a believer. Give it another hour and it will make you a fan. Oh, and PS - Never before have I seen a game have to endure this level of trolling... criticisms of DmC are glaringly vague and stubbornly tired. Really? All of you bought the game on release day, played it through, and came to the conclusion that it sucked? Why do I find that so suspicious? How about you stop clutching your pearls over all the cosmetic changes and kiss Ninja Theory's ass for fixing your otherwise B Grade franchise. Expand
  94. Jan 19, 2013
    I think it's pretty friggin' ridiculous the negative backlash it's getting from people who NEVER even played the game in its entirety. DMC, is a great game. It may not be the same Devil May Cry we've grown up with over the years but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dante - in essence and personality is still true to his character. In fact the Dante this time around seems more realistic. The combat in DMC is pretty damn accessible, the gameplay was down to the tee of the original games. I think the overall thing that got me was the narrative. Devil May Cry 3 was probably my favourite Devil May Cry game, Vergil was such a great character and the calibration between both Dante and Vergil really hooked me. Without spoiling some of the key plot points let's just say the game in its entirety is an origin story. Everyone was wondering why Dante didn't have white hair and people bashed Ninja Theory for something so stupid. The reason being is because it's apart of the story. One would have to play through to truly enjoy. People can cast ill judgements upon the game, but all I gotta say as a fellow Devil May Cry fan and a gamer: You're missing out. Expand
  95. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about darn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game. Now.
  96. Jan 18, 2013
    wow an amazing game, i really didnt expect it to be that great and was blown away. my expectations were really low and ive got to say its great. i loved the originals and havent seen a reason to hate on this one. so what if the character looks different? the new Lara croft looks different...i dont see people hating on that everywhere. I think people just jumped on the band wagon of hate for this game without even trying it. Expand
  97. Jan 18, 2013
    it just amazing game with considering that change date appearance but still quite beautiful
  98. Jan 18, 2013
    So yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've entered True Style Tournament twice.
    (if you dont know what TST is you are not a hardcore fan) I was curious on Ninja Theory's take on my beloved series and i saw the first artworks of Dante i was shocked and mad at NT for defiling DMC like that but after they changed Dante into what he is now in the actual game he kind of grew on me. Looking back now he actually looks less emo now than he did in dmc3 (where he had this screamo band leadsinger haircut only in white) Regarding his attitude i dont see a real difference, Dante has always been snappy, cracking cheesy 1 liners occasionally, he is just a little more hostile now, feeling lost in this crazy world not knowing why he has super powers, where he belongs or what he really is.
    It fits the character design very well. He evolves during the course of the story and becomes more concious and caring towards the end. Ok now that i've made my point about the design lets talk about the actual game itself.
    First the Level Design is just brilliant. I've never seen anything like it before in any videogames. The levels constantly change and shift as dante goes in and out of limbo, its just pure genius and deserves the uttmost respect for the level designers.
    The soundtrack is also great with combichrist's massive riffs pushing you forward and it also feels like they stayed true to the old games mixing in electronic drumloops and modern cuts (seriously check out Pull the Pin its just awesome), while noisia provide dark and grimey ambient bits that just feel on point wherever they are used.
    The Story of the game is predictable and kinda stolen from They Live but i dont mind too much. It has been a while since i've played a video game with an original story and also the succubus and virility has clearly been ripped from Futurama (Slurm anyone?), but hey the stories of the old dmc games or even the anime just feel stupid compared to this one. It's like preferring Tim Burton's Batman Movies to The Dark Knight Trilogy. The old ones (though being good at the time) just dont hold up anymore.
    The Combat and the Platforming is where this game really shines. As I've said before, i know DMC combat mechanics like the back of my hand but the fluidity and the simplicity of this game's combat are really exceptional. Yes they have been dumbed down in a way but its for the better. It looks great and plays even better. Juggling enemies, jump cancelling and mixing combos to raise the Style meter has never felt this good. From a professional POV I'd say the Skillcap is much lower than in previous entries but the score system transparency makes up for it. I can work on perfect runs in Hell and Hell Mode because honestly Dante Must Die is too easy for me. It will keep me going even now that i have the Platinum bagged. The platforming also gives you room to breathe and time for your fingers to relax it provides a break from the action and allowes you to marvel at the level design and the animations.
    Ninja Theory have done a remarkable job in reviving the dmc series. They created a character that is more grounded in the real world, a soundtrack that keeps you pumped and motivated, a combat system that makes it easier for newcomers to get into while still giving the pros something to practice and perfect. Go play this game, dont listen to the butthurt fanbois who are stuck in the past for all the wrong reasons. They are just copypasting youtube comments and rating this game a "0" because the main character's hair is not white anymore. Seriously sometimes im ashamed to call myself a gamer seeing how immature and stupid some people here are.

I rate this game a 9/10.
  99. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is a very stylish game, with unique combos, and an amazing combat system. The new DMC is simply better than the rest, because the setting is much more likable, and the graphics are very stylish and likable as well. Three good words that can describe this game is stylish, badass, and sexy.
  100. Jan 17, 2013
    Soooo many cry babies. It's interesting how many people can't grow up and try something new. I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Allow us to look at Devil May Cry's history.
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming
    Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming

Devil May Cry 4 - Aka MGS2 or Halo 2.

DmC is a very good game. Best story in the series where the story is almost nonexistent. Gameplay is better than Devil May Cry 1,2, and 4. Unfortunately it's the Unreal Engine, but for the Unreal Engine it's actually pretty nice. Dante's look is fine. I was tired of the Sephiroth/Raiden-esqe look that Dante had. New Dante doesn't smoke cigs and unlike the first Dante who doesn't get it in with females or it's assumed, New Dante gets it in before the game started. Awesome. Game is good. Give it a shot. 2nd best game in the series in my opinion. Devil May Cry 3 is definitely number 1. DmC is number two on the list. Stop crying.
  101. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.