5.0

1. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a bad game. When I first started it up the intro had me expecting a great experience. The games darker and stylish edge looked intriguing, and I was ready for the game to suck me in. But the moment I assumed control of Dante and battled my first enemy all optimism was sucked out of me. The combat just feels so lifeless and hollow, which is sad because it had the potential to be a thrilling experience because you have access to all your weapons at once and can switch between them at any time during combat which can lead to some pretty insane combos. But the combat just isn't fun and ruined the entire experience for me. On the plus side the game looks and sounds great, and the story is backed by fantastic voice acting. The story is interesting but ends on a dull note, and as for the new interpretation of Dante (oh, in case you didn't know, this is a reboot) I personally enjoyed his new style and personality. I really wanted to like this game, and honestly I was expecting to, but the boring combat brings down the whole experience. I liked the story, style, and the new Dante, they all just deserve a better game. Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2013
    Been a fan of DMC since the very first game and heard this is a reboot not a sequel which disturbs me more then any thing. Its basically Saying yeah thoose old DMC games yeah they never really happend they are BS. Which is no need because DMC 1 was a great game even though it had a very lack luster story it didn't need a reboot. Well we got one any way and well might as well try and enjoy it i mean it could be great could add more to the story right? well unfortunitly it abandons pretty much any thing resembling the first DMC's story for some thing more post modern i guess. having demons running the media and such stuff ... i dont know it was all kind of stupid to me.Then we have the new Dante oh dear god what have they done to you. Dante was once a cool looking swave, **** , cool , had a great one liner for ever thing kinda guy. Now he is a Emo looking dork who with every passing moment i just grew to despise more and more as the game went on . I mean its pretty bad when you just hate your main character but its like that with every one in the game though. They are all just lame and not well done. Though hating the main character isn't grounds for a terrable game though add on a crap story lame dialogue and the score is gona crumble a bit. Now for the gameplay with DMC is famous for ... Its pretty good . Its fast paced action pact and flows well like prevous DMC games for the most part outside of style rankings are freeking easy to rank up on . getting a SSS rank is not much of a challange now. The camera is good didnt have any trouble with it but ultimetly the problem with DMC is unlike prevouse DMC games since the story and characters feel so lame i just felt no reason to want to play this again after i beat it infact i felt more like going back to play DMC4 or DMC HD trilogy then wanting to play this again. which makes me glad i only rented it . Thats about where i would put this game at a rental and see what you think of it before you make any choice to purchase it. Expand
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    This is a decent reboot. The audio and art design is great. Combat is good but controls can be confusing to remember sometimes. Towards the end the game gets pretty repetitive. Overall the game feels hollow and not fully fleshed out. Accessible to newcomers. The story reminds me of Batman Begins. It's like the rebirth of a superhero. The thing I loved most about the game was the over the top zaniness in the game. I liked the soundtrack too. I felt it fit the game very well. Dante as a character is great. There's good voice acting. Bottom line: if you are looking for something different or over the top then you might enjoy this game, otherwise it probably won't be worth it to pick this up. Expand
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    C'Mon, boring and mediocre users at Metacritic. There's nothing wrong with the reboot of Devil May Cry. I saw it this morning on GameSpot and well...I agree what they are saying and critics definitely liked how the reboot inspires to the original DMC game in 2001. I played the demo and Capcom outdone themselves by recreating Dante and start to become a bad-ass all over the whole game. If you wanna give out negative feedback to fans, make sure you don't understand what you're talking about. DMC is one of the best reboots to kick start 2013 and if you don't believe me, wait till the reboot of Tomb Raider comes out. Expand
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    It is the biggest suprise I had in 2013 that this game is actually real good. When the game first was introduced I also was dissapointed. I did not like the look of the new dante and this game felt weird by the screenshots. Saw this for free as a ps plus member, thought I should give it a try and dont regret the decision after all.
    its slower than its predecessors and the missing lock on
    is a big down point but the possibility to fight with all weapons at the same time switching smootlhy during the fight is awesome. Like also the art style and the characters are not that bad either, altough they up vergil.
    It aint perfect but it is much better than I have expected.
  6. Jan 26, 2013
    So due to HMV threatening to close on me I rushed into the shop to try and spend my gift card. I wanted to use my gift card on Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. But no luck. They hadn't had any brought in yet. So I decided i'd see if this was as bad as the "users" metacritic have said. Now I have played the game and can say that they are all a bunch of lying tw*ts. I'm guessing none of them have played the game and based the whole thing on the "wig scene" and Dante's new look. This is the wrong way to look at the game. DmC is excellent. I don't give out 8's very often, but DmC deserves it. The game pumps you with adrenaline as you hack through enemys. The music is a big part of this along with the grading system. Yes, the enemys aren't as difficult as some of you "Hardcore" gamers would like. But, a massive but, the game uses a grading system that judges how diverse your combat technique is and gives you a score at the end judged on combat, time, death and your exploration of the world. Overall is a challenge as you need to keep the combat fresh, keep your timing and find the hidden treasure all quite compact together to get a decent score. This is what makes DmC special.
    While Ninja Theory might have been a bit rude to the fans, they do their own take on a beloved franchise and nail it. It is after all, THEIR OWN TAKE! If this was a new IP i'm pretty sure the User score would be a 9. Ignore the loony people who haven't played the game and listen to me.
  7. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  8. Apr 4, 2013
    I am not a fan of the franchise and, to be honest, I only played a couple of games back in the PS2 era and was immediately turned off by the difficulty level. Not that I don't appreciate a challenge, I do. But I think the DMC franchise just takes the idea of challenge a bit too seriously. Once I played the new DMC game demo I had the impression it would be a more accessible game and decided to give it try. And yes, it is. It's not an easy game (though it might be easier than previous entries), but it's definitely friendly, meaning that I had a great time with it. Beautiful graphics, cool gameplay where you can link chains and chains of combos using different weapons and moves, nice hero and story (though a bit over the top for me). It's a very good game, no question about it and I cannot point a big reason why someone would not like to play it. Expand
  9. Oct 12, 2013
    DMC is a great hack and slash game, the art style is amazing and it kind of has a dubstep feel to it. The voice acting is great, the soundtrack is amazing, boss fights are really good. From having all those good things DMC also has its downfalls such as Ninja Theory changing Dantes and Vergils character models. DMC also focuses too much at talking and forcing you into Limbo. During some parts in the game it almost feels like Ninja theory is trying to disrespect the first four games, it just seems like Ninja theory dosint give a crap about the Devil May Cry fanbase. The reason i call the new Devil May Cry DMC is because this is not a Devil May Cry game to me, its just a great knockoff. Th ending is pretty unexpected, although i should've expected what Virgil does. I think Capcom is trying to disrespect Devil May Cry just like they did to Mega Man. Expand
  10. Feb 4, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combat ensures that this is a distinguishable entry from Capcom's pure juggernaut. There are bouts of iffy platforming, rote boss battles and uninteresting character design, but these all pale under the immensely detailed world that has been bestowed. Beautiful, fresh and badass, Ninja Theory has reinvigorated Dante with a great action game to start the year off in style. Expand
  11. Sep 28, 2013
    No se enojen conmigo por una opinión personal pero... Para mí "DmC" es un juego fenomenal y divertido. Se notan cambios menores, pero el juego de Ninja Theory es, para mi gusto la tercera mejor entrega de Devil May Cry y, además me agradó revivir la experiencia que lo empezó todo desde la primera y mejor entrega.
  12. Feb 2, 2013
    Haters, can seriously just shut up. The fanboys will get extremely pissed about anything whether it be a film series (e.g., Star Wars) or a video game series like Devil May Cry. For god sakes, give it a try. Play through the game and you will see, this is one of the best action games to be released in a while. Heck, its better than most of the games which released in 2012. The new Dante is absolutely amazing, sure he's more vulgar than the original Dante but that's what DmC is all about...its a REBOOT. Get over it. This game is amazing. Expand
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    As god is my witness, this game's the height of perfection. Instead of a once ugly duckling Dante with old white grandpa hair, we now have a beautiful brunette swan. Thanks to Capcom for truly reaching the pinnacle of utter perfection with this absolute masterpiece of a game. I've already taken my copies of DMC, DMC2, DMC3, and DMC4, put them in the trash, and now DmC, Ninja Theory's stupendous reboot, sits upon the gaming throne in this hardcore gamer's domain. Expand
  14. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one
    of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  15. Jan 14, 2014
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I haven't been so awestruck by swirly colourful graphical beautifulness since Bayonetta.

I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of
    fairly random button hammering. You need to learn the jumps, but the rest you can leave to chance. If your kids are watching then just thell them its on uber hard difficulty and pretend all your lucky killer moves are deliberate.

Overall I still preferred Bayonetta, but DMC was a blast.
  16. Feb 3, 2013
    Played the originals they weren't to great, I like this one. No plot holes, minor glitches in combat (Which the original had.). Gritty, nice, new visualization and swearing. The end level fight (You will get it if you play it.) development still could have been eased into better. But still good weapons, good combat system.
    Pick it up give it a go. BTW original fanboys probably not for
    you, go complain all through the forums. Expand
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    "DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and " no **** you". The Plot is your typical masturbatory tale of how corporations are bad and evil with edgy little twists like the murdering of unborn children and brothers debating the length of their **** With all of the above in mind It seem ninja theory are the hero's we truly need to drag unscrupulous game journalists into the spot light and hopefully discover how they justify misleading and lying to consumers with claims that games such as DmC is anything near good.

I give this game a 10/10 for the valuable service it provides. Oh metcritic users here's a fun game, view the other reviews of anyone who gave this a 10/10 cause they sure love ninja theory games and that's about it.
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    Do not listen to payed review sites this is the worse DmC ever created. The game is shallow with repetitive combat and with a lame story for 15 year olds.
  19. Jan 19, 2013
    The game is a fun game that allows for a multitude of combinations for various different combos in combat , its always thrilling when that SSS is on the screen for the whole fight ! This game in essence I think is great and really captures the essence of a good action game and should not be so throughly deteste by fans of the original Devil May Cry (2001) it is a solid entry and does its best to encoporate some of the combat elements of the original whilst reinventing itself. Why would Ninja Theory reboot it if they weren't going to change anything it would be absolutely pointless. Nonetheless there are a multitude of Pros and Cons for the game but overall I think this game is a well rounded game with a strong combat style, art style and will appeal to teenage audiences especially due to its new angsty thematics.
    Gameplay: 8.5 - Fluid (although not 60 fps) and fun combat with a nice variety to the way you can take the enemies out, it might not be the hardest game in the world but that's why you should aim for the top in terms of scores.
    Graphics and Presentation: 9: The new graphics and presentation style prove themselves to not just been some gimmick tacked on, as the world around you effectively becomes a part of the overarching narrative, and even if the story isn't perfect the voice acting is of a higher standard en general than in the previous devil may cry games. Lasting Appeal: 8.0: The game will last you an adequate amount of time in between all its challenges, score chasing and your first proper run through of the story to unlock stuff it will last you a long enough time if you let it! Summary: DMC offers a fresh take on a much beloved franchise, but I can't help but feel if these gameplay was implemented into a Devil May Cry 5 with the original Dante that this would have a higher user score - story aside and character design aside this is one of the best in the series... period.
  20. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the
    controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  21. Feb 19, 2013
    After reading so many bad reviews and comment, I decided to stand out for this game. Everyone is complaining about how bored the storylines and Dante's new look. Believe it or not, I bought this game for $60 becasue of that hot demon with a awesome hair cut that i saw in the game store trailer. Even though i didnt play the last few games......well what's the big deal having a new style in the new game? It's not like hes the king of douche. Gameplay combat its pretty cool. But the whole game will be way better if it's way longer...maybe now days games are getting shorter and shorter (AC III, Sleeping Dogs, DMC) Sometime a game have a option to troll around by yourself will seem like the game is long like GTA 4. Shooting hookers, one man army those kinda stuff. But one thing that i am not really happy is that since Dante looked pretty damn hot and Kat's apperance is just meh. And i felt kinda weird that Dante and Kat is together since the last few games there are cute girls as Dante's sidekick.....anyone felt the same way....? Expand
  22. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  23. Apr 15, 2013
    I am a big fan of the devil may cry series on the PlayStation 2 and I do not care that the new Dante does not act like old Dante. Does anyone realize this is a reboot and not part of the original series! The story this time around is basically a retread of the first Devil May Cry, but instead of an island and a castle this time it is a city. The story actually makes you care about Dante and his brother Virgil, as it becomes a more of a personal tale. The gameplay might be easier, but that does not mean it is not fun. With the multiple weapons and combos there are limitless option for dealing damage to your enemies. The SSS ranking has become really easy to get, but bump the difficultly up and then try to achieve it. There are not enough boss fights in my opinion, but one stands out. I will not spoil it, but it's about half way through the game and is probably the most unique battle in the game. The graphics are not really impressive but are cool in their own right. The soundtrack is not my type of music but if your into heavy rock/metal you will enjoy it. This new Devil May Cry is just plain and simply "cool" and it makes you want to come back and chase the leader boards for a higher score. Expand
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    Boring game. Boring combat, story, characters. The game can only display 3 enemies on screen at a time which is nothing compare to games like God of War 3 which can hold up to 50 enemies on screen. The game is easy even on the hardest difficulty level. Story is lame and dialog is so bad it hurts the ears.
  25. Mar 23, 2014
    I had a lot more fun playing DMC than playing God of war Ascension ! Plateforming sections and control-issues aside, the game offer great movesets and weapons and really cool boss fights.
  26. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  27. Apr 4, 2014
    This is a low 8/10. I didn't complete nearly half the content the game has to offer. For the simple reason that this type of game really doesn't appeal to me. Now why would I give a game that doesn't appeal to me an 8/10? Well first off this is my first entry into the devil may cry franchise. And for what it is, they did a really good job with this origin story (as far as origin stories go). I couldn't get into doing the secret areas. I couldn't really get into the environments. I didn't really like alot of the characters. The game is hampered by it's low resolution of 720p...which is a real pity.

Why the 8? The game is absolutely beautiful...even with it's 720p handicap. The enemies the weapons....Dante's movements....the physics...everything is top knotch. The acting is even pretty good (alot better than resident evil). Like I said I didn't feel the need to learn all the combo's or complete the higher difficulties or do the secret areas. It just didn't appeal to me. I played to advance the story while marveling at how cool the fighting in the game was. That said, you can pull off some really brutally satisfying combo's in this game. Combat is fun in this game, period. There are a ton of weapons and it's satisfying to vary your attacks. Also the slow motion final blow to the enemies in the area is just awesome every time. It's fun.

My major gripes with the game were that I felt (when not in combat) like I was on rails most of the time. I didn't feel any connection or understanding toward the environment I was fighting in. So it was hard to feel anything toward the universe past the individual characters in the story. The boss battles were all very satisfying. The music was superb.
    1 problem was the ranged weapons, mainly ebony and ivory the iconic dual pistols of dante. They are terrible WEAK in this game. Their special powers ad combo's do next to no damage they are there to look badass and increase style points (the point system). I get what they were trying to do though. Being able to kill everyone with your pistols would detract from the game. SO their only real use is to look badass and to keep the style meter going (which is important).
    I really really enjoyed the final boss fight in this game. It was just so well done and so satisfying to play. It really made me want to go out and buy the sequel on the offchance I might get to experience another boss battle like that. The game didn't appeal to me, but I can appreciate a good game when I see one. 8/10.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    This review gets a lower score as the PS3 version is notably worse than the 360 version. Anyways, Devil May Cry 3 is often considered to be the best game in its genre and even the best action/adventure game ever made. It's combination of simple intuitive controls, deep fast paced combat, challenging bosses, and wildly entertaining cutscenes with cool characters solidified its status as an all time classic. So DmC has some huge shoes to fill. And it fails on almost all regards. The gameplay manages to both be dumbed down yet harder to play. The controls are less intuitive and there's a slight delay in everything you do be it dodging or switching weapons. Without lockon there are issues with attacking the wrong enemy. The weapons are unbalanced as hell, the scythe is completely useless while the glaive and axe are gamebreaking. The enemy design is awful. The game is at its best when you are surrounded with several standard enemies, but the game insists on making you fight enemies who limit your moves. This guy can only be hit by this weapon, that guy by that weapon, etc. The further you get in the game the more the game consists of only these unfun pace-breaking enemies. Why even give you more weapons and moves to use if the game won't let you use them? The bosses are a pitiful easy joke not even worth talking about. Cutscenes that are unskippable break up the gameplay all the time and kill replay value. What we have been given is a shallow, simplistic casual game that is supposed to be rebooting a series known for being deep and hardcore. The platforming adds nothing but time to the game, it isn't fun yet it comprises almost half the gameplay. All in all the gameplay is absolutely awful compared to the predecessors this game is supposed to be living up to. Storywise Ninja Theory games are supposed to be strong, but that is not the case here. The plot is predictable and lifted entirely from They Live with a few other sources ripped off as well. The narrative proceeds with little character development and is utterly dull and generic. The voice acting is surprisingly unemotional, several lines in the game are botched, and the battle cries and pain noises sound amateur at best. The characters are bland and unlikable with only a few major exceptions. The soundtrack is mostly terrible. There's a few good songs in the game but most of the time it's just awful electronic mashing that anybody could make with no effort on a laptop. Even the final boss theme is horrible and boring electronic BFFFDDKKKWOOOOEW garbage. The best part of this game is the visuals. It's gorgeous, especially for a UE3 game. The colors are nice and vibrant and varied, the environments are extremely cool looking, and there are a lot of neat visual effects in the game I didn't know UE3 was capable of. Sadly though the environments get more generic and uninspired the more the game goes on, and the lighting effects are irritating at many points. All in all DmC: Devil May Cry isn't a good hardcore action game. Maybe it's a good casual action game, but that isn't what anybody wants out of Devil May Cry, and that isn't what the title is being advertised as. Also the practices the companies and journalists have applied to this game are appalling and insulting, this game is a huge sign to look to when it comes to corruption in the video game industry. Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst game in the series by far. The gameplay is dumbed down, and Capcom paid off websites to give it good reviews. Between the horribly redesigned Dante, boring and tedious gameplay, and terrible story, this is a terrible reboot of a once-great franchise.
  30. Jan 20, 2013
    Sure the game is made by people who don't like or even respect the DMC series, but the gameplay is solid. The fighting is easier, which makes you feel awesome right off the bat, but I eventually felt like I hit a skill ceiling, like there was little left to learn, and near the end it devolves into Simon Says forcing you to use specific weapons against specific enemies. Unlike previous DMC games where getting more skilled opens more options to the player as you realize what you are capable of, getting further in DmC felt more and more limiting. For this reason I say the game has no replay value and isn't long enough to be worth anywhere near $60. The level design was consistently one of the weakest parts of previous DMC games, but it's actually one of the strengths here. The environments are vibrant, imaginative, atmospheric, and mostly consist of fluid platforming instead of backtracking and puzzles. It however does feel like they were starting to run out of ideas in the later half of the game though. The characters in the game are however the weakest link. The game goes out of it's way to insult fans of the serise, so the amount of backlash this game receives comes as no surprise (Who thought that was a good idea?). Classic Dante was one of most likable and witty characters who approached fights with the same enthusiasm that the player experiences, but the new Dante comes across as apathetic, whiny, vindictive, and this attitude continues throughout the whole game lessening the entire experience. In fact everyone in the game comes across as a shallow jerk, except Kat. She's just feels tacked on just so the game can say it has a female character. All together the whole game comes across as juvenile, but Ninja Theory does have enough experience to make it coherent, and it never really feels "broken" at any point. Expand
  31. Feb 1, 2013
    I was very surprised with the game, mostly since I heard so many people whine about it. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's DMC with the same Dante, just earlier on in his life. Plus you unlock the white haired look when you beat the game once. Difficulty was not a problem, I played it on the 3rd difficulty out of 7 I believe, was mildly challenging. Unlocked the next one and got destroyed, and I'm a guy who's amongst the top 100 players on several missions on the leaderboard. The language was quite crude at points, but that's pretty much a trade mark of the series. The level design was quite great, I loved the limbo areas. Can't say there's anything bad with the game at all! Maybe that it lacked content, could have had more, I finished it in about 20 hours, but there are more difficulties to play through. Expand
  32. Mar 16, 2014
    Not being a fan of the original games, and frankly, hardly giving them a chance is what may make me seem rather bias throughout this review. However, I still feel I am entitled to what I have to say, so here I go.

DMC is, at least in my eyes, a decent game. Is it great? No. Does it have innovative, revolutionary mechanics? Far from it. Is it fun? Definitely.

DMC takes you through
    multiple environments, allowing you to hack, slash and bash your way through using a score based melee system. The game contains multiple collectibles and challenges, the former mostly in the form of keys, and the latter in the form of doors, opened using said keys. Each challenge is effectively a little combat or platforming section, in which you must navigate or battle your way through to an objective. Rather uninspired, but quite a lot of fun.

In terms of characters, they seem rather unlikable and not all that unique. Full of cliches and phrases which only seem to be achieved through Western developers, they offer very little to the plot, and only serve as stepping stones (and occasionally, obstacles) in what seems to be the games heart; combat. Don't be expecting A-grade writing on the story, either; just another cliche which feels rather tiresome and dull.

The killer feature of the game is it's combat system, which is fluent and almost perfect, making use of multiple weapons and equipment, with a set of upgrades purchasable from the store. The environments also feel unique; leaping through limbo in the style of a news broadcasting station or a dance club is rather entertaining.

Overall, the game is lacking quite a bit, but I still feel it isn't deserving of the drastically low scores people seem to be giving it. It's an okay game; not terrible, not great. I can see how it may be insulting to an original DMC fan, but the best cure for that is to not think of it as DMC at all, but a spinoff, an extra, a little sideshow.
  33. Jul 6, 2013
    Although not one of the best games I have ever played, I did have fun with this game. It took a little time to actually get into, but when I finally did I enjoyed it.
  34. Mar 10, 2013
    Great art and visuals and presentation.
    The story is quite intriguing, mature, gritty, dark and forms a perfect prequel for DMC3. Yeah I know it's a reboot but it just fits perfectly together.
    Profanity is there, but there are also some moments in there that made me feel angry like Dante and sad or completely ''WTF?!''-ed like Dante.
    The characters are good and there is decent to very
    good voice acting. And there IS humor. And the white wig joke was hilarious. Offending?! Seriously?! Nah...
    Soundtrack is BRUTAL and it doesn't make my ears bleed like in MGR:Revengeance, but that's just different taste in music. And I feel bad for NOISIA that the haters think that dubstep is only Skrillex.
    And you don't have the same battle song playing over again, and again, and again like in DMC3 4. Because sometimes I would stop playing, and play games with a better soundtrack DMC3 did have best ost material, but for me it was overshadowed by ''poser industrial techno metal''). Now we have Combichrist!
    Combat is fluid, smooth and has the old school DMC flare. It does lack an amount of extra moves which really is a bummer. And I didn't had any problem with DT. And there are always ways to play stylish instead of using trinity smash. Hell, DMC3 had DT Flux for Instant SSS. Vergil could be your with Royalguard. Forgotten about that huh? Combos can be linked with each other much more faster and smoother.
    Bosses are easy, but far from bad. They're actually epic!
    Difficulty could be kicked up a little bit, but you've always got SOS, DMD, HOH, HAH, Vergil's Downfall Bloody Palace for more replay value.
    The 30fps is really noticeable when you play with A/V cables on PS3, but on HDMI it's smooth like butter.
    I still think that the majority of the haters are still the ones who were extremely pissed at all those trailers. And didn't play this game with an open mind and still got their Nostalgic Goggles on while whining about everything. Saying that everyone should buy 4 HD Collection.
    DMC4 is superior in gameplay, but felt extremely rushed and was rushed. Bland anime story, hideous soundtrack( except for the song you hear during the Goddess Statue the 2nd half and Nero. I haven't touched it ever since I've got DmC. But hey...the haters got their way. This game didn't sell very well.
    However, DMC3 still reigns over DmC.
    If DmC had the lock-on for extra input commands...DmC would be on par with DMC3 for real. Maybe even beat it.
    Now waiting for the moment for my friend to give DmC back to me.
    A well deserved 9/10 Ninja Tee.
    Oh yeah, two 9/10 because my friend agrees
  35. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has a very fast pasted and challenging combat system, which awards flawless and varied combat techniques (which can be quite difficult to master, if mastering this is even possible considering there are endless opportunities). They also do well with the battle music, and open up for several ways to end a problem, making repetitive gameplays not just a bore. For new people coming into the series (counting this view) the story is quite solid, with both likeable, creative and understandable antagonists. Expand
  36. Jul 30, 2013
    It seems like NT release a new game every 3 years. If you're a fanboy who dismiss this game just because Dante looks different, then quit being little babies because you're missing out. Instead of letting Capcom slap something cheap for DMC5, which fanboys would've called it the best game ever made, they let NT develop the game so that it can appeal to Western gamers.

A lot of companies
    like to expand their business and while the change may feel like a middle finger to the hardcore fans at first, they should really give this game a chance because it's really good. It runs on 30 FPS but there's no slowdowns and the action is smooth so it does feel like the game is running on 60 FPS. It's free style combat is over-the-top, stylish and just as engaging as the previous DMC games.

It's ok to compare new Dante to old Dante but in the end, you should judge him for who he is and whether or not you like him. Not just say "oh, this isn't the Dante I know and love", it's called a reboot. A lot of these fanboys can't accept new life in their beloved franchise, even though it did something different, but they bash on other franchises for releasing the same thing, not going to name names.

The graphics, art style and level designs is stunning, it's just so good to look at. The game is also backed up by it's awesome rock/electro soundtrack. As soon as you complete the first mission with the "Never Surrender" soundtrack playing in the background that's been used well for the first level, you'll be instantly hooked into the game.

Change is great, even if it's not as good as the old DMC. NT is great when it comes to story, does Heavenly Sword or Enslaved ring any bells? The story is simple but what lies within the story is a complex theme of corporation and capitalism. The whole idea of Dante fighting demons in Limbo feels a bit like Inception, which is awesome. Puzzles are replaced by platforming bits that were well made, although there is a Spider-Man thing going on when Dante swings from one platform to another.

Dante swears a lot in DmC and he's more of a sexual deviant but the new Dante is just as confident and fearless as the old Dante, so DmC and DMC, while DmC is quite different, does have a few aspects in common that does DmC justice to the original series. One being the character and the other being the fast, energetic and intense action.

While hardcore DMC fans might find the lower levels less challenging than DMC, since it pretty much hands out S ranks, it's a great way to introduce new fans or casual gamers who aren't particularly a fan of the franchise or the genre in general and maybe those who find DMC games, especially 3, too hard.

There are a variety of difficulties so for hardcore DMC fans who didn't find DmC challenging, try Heaven and Hell and then try Hell and Hell but you'll have to unlock it first which shouldn't be a complaint since it's really rewarding. After all, you wouldn't want a game that hands out stuff to you.

Heaven and Hell is not as easy as haters say it is but it's certainly not impossible. The idea of having to constantly switch from Angel Mode to Devil Mode gives both weapon types an advantage and disadvantage instead of just upgrading weapons to make them stronger like most games do.

The game is not without it's flaws though. There's no lock on feature which sucks because it would have been useful, especially while I'm fighting a group of demons both aerial and ground enemies. You can pretty much defeat bosses easily by using the same strategy that you use when fighting common demons, though boss battles, especially Bob Barbas, are creative.

Capcom's retarded sale tactics of releasing a couple of skins as DLC are another issue, because one of which is the classic Dante. There's no taunt but that's not really an issue since Dante already has a bad mouth in the cutscenes.

In the end, DmC pulls off an unlikely reboot that feels fresh while holding on to what makes DMC so good. It's probably the third best game in the franchise. If you want to hold on to old Dante, why don't you just play the previous games. Original and 3 are still the best anyways.

The game may be a commercial failure but that's because fans boycott the game, not because it's bad. Call of Duty breaks world record sales on day one, does that mean it's the best gaming franchise ever made? Recommended for those who aren't a fan of DMC. Recommended for hardcore fans as well but a lot of them are still skeptical so it's best that they rent the game or borrow my copy from a friend.
  37. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some other people give this game some very under rated ratings. I give it a 10 out of 10 due to how well it explained how everything started, how Vergil and Dante began to hate each other and how all the demons came into the real world and Vergil became the leader of the Demon World. The combos are still the same and so are most of the weapons and powers. The new weapons are fantastic. Thank you for another great game. Also most people rate this game so low because of how young and different Dante is. Expand
  38. Jan 22, 2013
    Great game, with a ton of character. The action is fast and frenzied while remaining more accessible than previous games. The reboot of Dante is great with many throwbacks to his old look and an ending that is transforming him into his older self. Overall a must play.
  39. Jan 22, 2013
    I wish this game played as nice as it looks...early on. This game has a visual flare to it that I like, but it lacks gameplay mechanics and has intrusive, uninformative, and just embarrassing cutscenes littered throughout that would put an MGS title to shame. It feels rushed in every way. It's hard to say the story lacks, rather than it's on a smoke break throughout the runtime and all the characters are really forcing a lot of trite commentary. DMC isn't really known for it's story, so you will slog along, waiting for the game to open up a lot of gameplay mechanics to you, and interesting situations to test your skills in different areas. This never happens. I just don't understand. It lacks mechanics, it lacks a story (though the mess that IS will be shoved down your throat at every opportunity). It's odd acceptance from publications has me really turned off and confused as well. I think the average user score is spot on, even if you consider it separate from previous DMC outings. As a DMC title, I would rank it much lower, but it does have some considerable production and visual elements to it that lift it from a 2. I just don't get the pitch: "We are going to reboot a hardcore franchise. We have no story. We have no interesting mechanics or innovations. Infact, we are stripping those elements way back. We DO have an interesting reinterpretation of the protagonist so as to polarize the community and generate hype. Our April 1st demographic lookup revealed that people wanted more platforming in DMC titles, so we are currently full-throttle on that." Expand
  40. Jan 20, 2013
    if you buy this you should check your doctor ASAP. your IQ went negative ! the devil won't cry but you will, when you see you money wasted on a piece of **** that is what it is!
  41. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is the very definition of the term "Try-hard". In every aspect of it's story, music, design and gameplay it is simply trying so hard to be "cool" and it comes out looking like that kid you knew back in High School who always thought he was "rad". The script and dialogue are abysmal at best with such lines as "The world is your **** as am I." and of course the now internet famous back and forth of **** YOU" but it goes further than simple one offs. The game gets down right weird in places, and not in a good way, more in a *SPOILER ALERT* "I just shot your baby" kind of way that really just makes everything feel wrong. When the story isn't being try-hard it's being down right edgy, with no shortage of chances to stick it to the man. But where the game really falters is where it really counts; gameplay. Gameplay is slow, unrewarding and brain-numbingly easy. The Style Meter of DMC fame has been bastardized to a level of just plain pity as it pumps out SS and SSS ranking like they're going out of style. I myself hit an enemy 4 times and got my SSS. Enemies stand around and downright refuse to be a burden to the player, content to let you wail on them or move into better combo positions. To put it simply, you truely need no effort in DmC as it's goal is to make you feel like a winner but will ultimately make you feel like you wasted your time, There are however some moments of genius through out the game. The level design and art palette are of a uniquely excellent standard. Level's pop out at you and you will end up remembering them long after you've left the area. Perhaps my favorite moment in the game is in the Raptor News Network level where you shift vantage point to that of a camera as they televise the fight. It was fun and I actually enjoyed the boss battle, if not from a story point and just from a gamer point. To wrap up, DmC is a whole disappointing experience that left me feeling nostalgic for the past DMC's rather than hungry for another playthrough. What is sad is that Ninja Theory could have fixed many of the problems through out the game during their production time but wrote off all criticism of the title, attributing any ill-though about the game to their redesign of Dante. They even go as far as to include a short scene *SPOILER* where Dante wears a white wig that makes him look like the old Dante, having him denounce the look by saying "Not in a million years". Sadly, the moment would have been one of DmC's few genuinely funny moments, seeing as Dante eventually does gain white hair of his own, if not for the joke being an obviously kick to the old DMC fans. Overall, the moments of fun are overshadowed by edginess, laziness and very weak gameplay. Expand
  42. Jan 16, 2013
    Okay, first off, I guarantee you that the low user score is completely unbalanced, because half the bad reviews give it a zero, meaning that there's no redeeming qualities at all, yet they admit stuff that's good. Long story short, fan boys are **** and they think that spamming this page with bad scores will make a difference. Here's a completely honest review, all feelings aside. This game has amazing production values. Fluid animations, great motion-capture acting, amazing art direction, great characterization, etc. Pretty much everything visually is perfect, frame rates aside. Story is great for me, but some have issues with it. The only real flaw I can give for this game is the surprisingly simple boss fights. Not that they are easy, but that they lack intellectual challenge, in that for the most part you just dodge the attack, then hit the glowing part. Which is a shame, because these bosses are some of the most unique visually I've ever faced, Bob Barbas being the most memorable boss I've faced in years. Now as far as combat goes, its more accessible and less complex than previous DMC games, and for me, that's perfect, but if your a die-hard DMC fan, you might have issue with it, claiming that this game has been dumbed down for noobs. More accessible doesn't mean its dumbed down, it just means that people with less dexterity can have fun. Point is, unless your a die-hard fan of the first 4, or just not a fan of hack n slash, then this game will definitely entertain. New Dante has all the **** and one liners of before, and since he has some actual scenes to be characterized, hes much more relate-able and likable, rather than a matrixy bad-ass whose too high above us for us to feel connected to him. Forget the fanboys bringing down the score, just read the reviews and see if you find anything you like Expand
  43. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about darn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game. Now.
  44. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. lol writing this as i'm listening to Combichrist xD Great music.

Okay, so i hear alot of hate about this game, why? DmC is a great game, and if you ask me, better than the previous ones. You see, this game focuses alot on more hack and slash than constant puzzles which in my opinion slowed down gameplay. Levels are also more linear so you don't have to worry about getting lost. Now Dante has changed alot, and he is in my opinion, pretty badass. Yes he swears, but this game also takes place in a more modern time, so deal with it. His hair is rather boring, but after i completed it once, i replayed it on Son of Sparda (which is a kick-ass mode btw) with the white hair (that is slightly longer than the black hair). Many fans claim this game is easy, well then play Son of Sparda you idiots. Level design is amazing, better than anything i have seen before. "HURR 30 FPS" Shut the hell up, it doesn't have any effect on the game itself. Fighting is faster than ever, and with unique and epic enemies that require different strategies, this makes combat awesome. Speaking of strategies, Dante now has an angel and demon mode (blue and red). Angel weapons are faster, demon weapons are stronger (Dante can hold up to 8 weapons). And now it's time for the devil trigger. Honestly it's not a big deal, i like it.

That was basic gameplay, the story is kind of strong i guess? I never care about stories in games, but i could feel it in this one. Voice acting is also okay, well maybe not Dante, he sounds way too hollow. (SPOILER AHEAD) But characters themselves seem very weak, unlike Dante, where you will get info about him the whole game. But Kat and Vergil? NOTHING. First of all there's not a clear back story of Kat, and I never found out why Vergil hates humans so much. Like why the should I fight Vergil at the end? "HUMANS ARE OUR SLAVES, NOW THE BOSS FIGHT BEGINS" c'mon that's just stupid.
    (SPOILER END)

Speaking of bosses *sigh* bosses are easy as Dear Ninja Theory, if the normal enemies are more difficult to kill than the bosses, there's a slight problem. ^^

So generally speaking: Great game, great combat, great atmosphere, great level design, good story, allthough weak characters and easy bosses. "DmC Devil may Cry" gets my solid 8 out of 10
  45. Feb 9, 2013
    This is an excelent reboot for the series. The combat is fun and recognizable so its not trying to be a whole new game which is good. The voice acting is great all around but most importantly the story. We get to see dante right as he learns who he is and that he has a brother. We see what starts there feud and get an understanding of there parents and background. Theresmore platforming than id like but this is a great way to restart the series. No goofy overly cheesy crap that the original team was starting to do giving the game a great feel. I have nothing to complain about. It all flows so well. This game was great under ninja theory Expand
  46. Jan 15, 2013
    Great improvement to a mediocre series. Character is a lot more interesting instead of being one gigantic anime joke. Cheesy bits are obvious throwbacks instead of just the writing. Combat is more fluid and varied than 4 even, though the later enemies aren't as interesting.
  47. Jan 15, 2013
    Let me start: this is not DMC. No, i'm not a fanboy and i'm not saying that because i don't like Dante's hair. The whole game changed. The personality of the characters has changed completely. Vergil is not even recognizable. The heavy metal still cool as ever, but this time has to share its place with annoying dubsteps. The game is a lot easier and friendly to casual players(normal mode). Where's that difficulty that made the other games so remarkable ? The dialogue is bad, i mean REALLY BAD. Everything that comes out of Dante's mouth is either unfunny or just vulgar (NT thinks that Dante has to say disgusting words to be cool). No clever writers on this one, definitely. The graphics are quite good, and the dynamic "set pieces" in the scenarios are well made. The gameplay has good flow. The main problem of the game is not its overall quality (because, don't get me wrong, its a damn good action game) but the fact that is so much different from the other ones. We only had one "perfect" DMC (DMC 3), then Capcom put a new character as protagonist in DMC 4 and then they sell the franchise. The action sequences in DmC haven't even 1/6 of the coolness from the action scenes of the old DMC games. The jokes in this new game are shamefully BAAD. Where Dante tried to be cool, he ended up being stupid or jackass. DmC is flashy and colorful maybe to compensate the fact that it's empty. What made the franchise stand out to this day it's the characters and their mannerisms, cool dialogues, the very creative action scenes and the incredibly fun hardcore gameplay. Most of those qualities ,unfortunately, are now gone but at least we still have a very good action game, nonetheless. Expand
  48. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good, (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until released lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  49. May 19, 2013

Rented it. So lets start from there, I'm also a fan of the other 4 and this type of game.

-1 For the need to replay
    -1 For the storyline

Otherwise weapons, monsters, comboing and challenges are pretty fun.
    Music is spot on.
    Voice acting is ok, not great but not bad.
  50. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If this is your first hack-n-slash game, this game would probably be an okay place to start. Controls are easy and intuitive for new players, combat is very satisfying without putting too much demand on the player, and the game doesn't punish you for mistakes quite as brutally as others of its genre. However, as a long time hack-n-slash fan, I can't seriously endorse this game. Combat is incredibly linear (even going as far as presenting enemies that can only be damaged with a specific weapon) and if you get too comfortable with this game's difficulty curve, you'll be sorely unprepared for just about every other hack-n-slash game on the planet. While combat is satisfying and fun, it offers absolutely no room for growth. You'll master the basics, and then you've mastered everything. Bosses are by far the worst offenders in this game, being reduced to long platforming segments and glorified binary color matching puzzles, presenting no challenge even on the hardest difficulty. Boss abilities that have counters are normally designed in such a way that the player will frequently counter them on accident just by spamming the attack button and staying close to the boss, a far cry from the careful timing and forethought required for previous DMC games. As an example, during the vergil fight his summoned swords can be destroyed by simple hammering the attack key without pause, and his rapidslash will miss you completely if you just stand right in front of him and don't move while continuing to attack. During boss fights, your combat will frequently be interrupted by unskippable cutscenes (to give you a good reference, the Succubus boss fight contains up to 12 cutscenes, 9 of which are the same) and are these particularly important? No; they're normally just a short clip of your character glaring angrily or the boss calling you a This game also shows signs of seriously poor design, with many elements from other media sloppily copy/pasted into this game with no regard for their original purpose. In older DMC games, jump canceling was the only way to extend your air combos and remain airborne for a long time. In DmC, staying airborne indefinitely is a simple matter of grappling after every few attacks, yet they pasted jump canceling in anyway. Why? It serves no purpose, yet they heard it made another game great, so copy/paste. They do the same thing with the plot. Minor spoiler, but the entire plot of this game is a copy/paste of "They Live" but with the edginess turned up to 11. In "They Live" it made sense to reveal the hidden world to everyone and make them realize they were being controlled, and it made the movie great. In DmC, does it make as much sense to merge the demon world with the human world? Oh sure, humanity is now being viciously murdered by the entirety of Hell gone wild on earth, but at least they won't fall for those fast food ads or listen to those media lies anymore! It made sense in "They Live" but in "DmC" it's stupid. On the note of things being stupid, Ninja Theory has a frankly baffling notion of what's "cool" for a protagonist. At one point in the game you kidnap a pregnant woman and hold her hostage. During the hostage exchange, is it the bad guy that doublecrosses you? No, you do. While the exchange happens, vergil shoots the woman through the stomach. He lets her live for just long enough to realize her baby was just killed before shooting her through the head. Dante then goes on to talk about watching the baby "exploding into wet chunks" and describes the experience as being "priceless". I'm going to remind you that this is the protagonist. Oh, and Ninja theory's ego is a noticable presence in this game. their logo shows up 4 times during the intro, and the credits? In previous DMC games, you were dropped into an endlessly spawning room full of enemies, you could rip and tear to your heart's content for the next 3 minutes. This is an action game, that's entirely fitting. But in this new DmC? For the credits you're taken on a video tour of ninja theory's studio. Wow, thanks, that's just what I wanted as my reward for beating this game. TL;DR combat is fun but very shallow, the script is the most awful thing I've seen in decades, and the main character is so unlikable it's easier to get through this game if you just think of mundus as the good guy. Expand
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll give DmC one thing - it's somewhat fun. That's about all I can say - The game is waaaaaaaaaaaay dumbed down. You can get an SSS in several hits just by using the axe, which is horrendously overpowered and quite honestly the only weapon really worth using. Difficulty levels only change the spawning patterns and damage of the enemies - they still move the same speed, and they still take the same damage to die. What happened to DMC's ridiculous difficulty where getting and maintaining an SSS could be nigh impossible? The writing is atrocious too. Overall it wouldn't have really been that bad of a game, if it wasn't trying to pass itself off as a DMC game. It simply doesn't hold up to the standard that should be expected from this series, and that's why it's generating so much negative hype. I hope this doesn't represent a new point for the series. Expand
  52. Jan 20, 2013
    I think new DMC has a best fighting mechanics for today's slashers. Controls feels perfect. And if you're fail, you see where you fail.
    But it's a shortest DMC. It feels like 2 times shorter, than previous games. Story is unpolished and not intriguing even a bit, but true British punk Dante vs modern society is a fun concept.
    PS3 version has an annoying graphics issues.
  53. Mar 22, 2013
    DmC is a decent reimagining of the series. The game has a good flow to the combat, and even though its been dumbed down since previous entries, it is still the selling point of the game. Other then that the story just seems too angsty, like it's trying to seem hXc. The length is also sinfully short. Beat it in about 5 and a half hours. That amount of gameplay just isn't worth $60 any more.
  54. Jan 3, 2014
    For the record, I played DMC1 and DMC3 and enjoyed them very much I had low expectations of this game given the shown trailers, but found it a very enjoyable experience. The story, very much in line with the series, is again completely non-sensical, even if it tries to take itself seriously. The fighting, which is the core of every DMC game, is actually better than in other DMC games. The customisation has been tuned down a bit, but there were very few people who could master 8+ different weapons and their combo's anyway (as in DMC3). So it's a good thing they simplified it.
    Combo's have been streamlined in between weapons, which makes them a lot more logical to execute.
    There are at times also tips given on how to deal with certain times of ennemies, but very gradually which is a welcome change.

The characters: The main antagonist is actually pretty well crafted and believable, but you can't say the same of Dante. For the main character, he's incredibly childish and non-believable.
    There are however a few pretty good jokes hidden in the game, but there's also a lot of 14 year old chatter.

Graphics are OK, but design quality varies greatily in between levels. There are a few masterpieces of design in the game, but there are also a few questionable (albeit original designed) and tasteless decision choices on two bosses (in my opinion), which was a bit offsetting.

But all in all, a good experience.
  55. Feb 8, 2013
    Where to start hmm ok DMC fan from day 1 dmc 3 being the epitome of this genre along with Bayonetta, with nothing ever coming even close. i'd give this game 8.8 10 ,I was pissed with the new dante but turns out he's fine and his voice acting is better handled. Vergil on the other hand was just one of my fav. characters ever and they kinda made him lame so as far as art direction goes this game is weird yet awesome, graphics are very polished (though not a fan of unreal engine But this really really depends on how well you know ninja theory, this is very easily described as 70% dmc and 30 heavenly sword but only the pros came along from HS. TBH DMC 4 sucked imho and this is miles better but still cant come close to Dante's awakening, Nevertheless kudos to ninja theory they freaking put eth they had into this and it paid off and more importantly it shows, i still have to say they should have definitly made Dante's movements more fluid and put a trigger system. i feel for the bashers but seriously meta bombing to a 4.0 is just cruel Expand
  56. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore the user score for this game, it, like so many other decent games, has been artificially lowered by fan-boys and other individuals for a few very specific, very dumb reasons. First, the majority of these people are by and large fans of Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4, which are decent games. They ignore the fact that Devil May Cry 2 was terrible, and that Devil May Cry 4 was hardly innovative or interesting at all. Besides that, they are upset that this game is a reboot of a franchise they used to love. It's as simple as that. They make no claims to the quality of the game, and if they do, they are lying. Nobody in their right mind could possibly give this game a 0/10 score. It's not possible. At minimum, this game should be a 6/10. It's got quite a lot of good things about it, and my experience with it is a solid 9/10 experience. I've had a TON of fun, the combat is fluid, graphics are great, the humor is just stupid enough, and I feel it stays true to the Devil May Cry experience. I don't know where these other people are getting off on calling this game complete garbage. This game is pretty damn good, and is far superior to DMC2 or DMC4 in terms of level design, combat, and innovation. Some people are just too stubborn to enjoy themselves, I guess. Expand
  57. Jan 25, 2013
    In typical fashion, Ninja Theory have created a title more concerned with visual flare than enjoyable gameplay or mechanical depth. Combat is weak, scoring system broken, boss fights are dull and the story is juvenile. There is nothing of merit to be found here.
  58. Jan 19, 2013
    I'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view.
    For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying from
    various places, with beautiful colors. The combat is very easy to pick up and play, you can have fun creating combos, unlocking abilities, using the grapple in the platform stages, etc. The game follows the typical structure of video-combat-platforms-video again... the platforms are entertaining at first, and in some points of the later game, but in general their only purpose is to attach one combat with another while you unlock some secret stuff if you look around. The combat can entertain you the whole game because there are a lot of options creating combos but beware, the enemies are very easy to kill. The storytelling is well made, not complicated, not free of cliches but you may be interested on how it goes, and there are a few moments of the game very very well made, with lots of effort in them, but with places where it feels a little rushed. I would only recommend it if you really like what you have seen in videos and gameplays, if you are new to the hack and slash you will enjoy it, but consider that the replayability isn't the strong point in DMC, so you should consider rent it first. For the Devil May Cry fan: The Ninja Theory work is appreciated in the sense that they had the task of making the game dumbed for the masses (as Crapcom conditioned them for sure), changing Dante, and the mechanics entirely, this wasn't an easy job to do, and the result is a lot of closeups of the new Dante and nods (like the anonymous at the beginning) just to convince the people to like the new character, that reflects lack of self-confidence of Ninja Theory which is also reflected in many aspects of the game (I feel that Ninja Theory wanted to make the game less idiot than Crapcom wanted) the result? a very versatile combo system with potential but a very weak enemies to make the combos woth to pull off (with a broken style system),there aren't any puzzles on the game but they added a very easy exploration system with the keys (and closed paths that needs to be open with the later weapons just to make you come back and feel that need more exploration), a mechanic to make the enemies harder conditioning the use of different weapons to satisfy the casual challenge needs but a pain in the ass for the hack and slash players, a storytelling forced in some points just make it feel like if it were more like a devil may cry than a different game like (I consider) this, overall, I don't recommend this if you enjoy the hack and slash, is very-VERY easy, the enemies are poor in variety and there are lots of better options for the hack and slash genre. Expand
  59. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  60. Mar 4, 2013
    I have never played other Devil May Cry games before, so I consider this a non-biased review. The combat system is deep, which is a good thing. There are countless ways to combo an enemy, and several abilities to be unlocked. The environment looks great, however the enemies seem to get a little repetitive. Boss fights are awesome, and not too tough to figure out. Many difficulty setting to keep you coming back for more. Campaign is 6-8 hours which is perfect for me. Everyone on here keeps comparing it to the "old Dante", which doesn't seem right to me. Give it a try. Expand
  61. Mar 20, 2014
    Wow, for anyone who hasnt played devilmaycry this is a must play game. The crying fans need to be quiet, if this hadn't been called devilmaycry, it would of score a 9 all over the board for amazing gameplay, graphics and story alone.
  62. Jul 2, 2013
    DMC does nearly everything right. Cool graphics, very fast and motivating gameplay and great characters. I can't understand, why the old school- fans are crying about the new dante. Furthermore, the overall style of the game is just great. Did you even play it? Just do it. you will get some of the (graphically) best designed levels ever.
  63. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but
    the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals. Expand
  64. Mar 6, 2014
    I have never play a Devil May Cry game before, so for me is the first one, and is an excellent game, fast pace, good combos, great graphics and visual effects, good story, remind me a lot Bayonetta, is a game for a certain type of player, if you like hack and smash you will love DMC, and please don't give bad notes just because dante don't looks like you want
  65. Jan 23, 2013
    The game is awesome, is a different beast from the old DMC and is a good thing, I really enjoined DMC1, 2 and even 4 but I always find Dante quite a lame '80 hair metal dude, this new style is a different kind of lame, with style. Emo Gothic **** a part is a great game with a great story, great combo, awesome different plays style from the newbie to the **** hole hardcore perfectionist.
  66. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore all of the negative reviews, they are simply trolls, people who've not played the game.
    I got the game yesterday and finished It in just over 11 hours, it's a great game, with a colourful cast of both characters and environments and a fun combat system with depth should you seek it.

Ninja Theory have taken a lot of criticism from old DMC fans upon taking on the franchise and
    they've done a sterling job, aside from a few technical hitches on the PS3 version (including iffy shadows and the occasional frame drops on busy cutscenes) it runs and looks phenomenal, the standouts include Chapter 13/14 and the final battles.

In comparison, I found DMC4 to be a sloppy, lazily put together mess with no originality and half of the content was repeated, a terrible game.
  67. Apr 1, 2013
    This games is so boring, the gameplay look sad, & yes is very easy game, no challenge
    just play it & see for youself. Capcom Ninja Theory just waste time & the money for the remake dmc game with new style, but the game is very bad....so sad
  68. Jan 28, 2013
    Lets start with the David Hume Quote in the trailer. Hume was an Atheist. His quote has NOTHING to do with Religion/Demons/Angels/etc. -face palm- That should tell you where this game is headed...So!
    LOOSE gameplay. DECENT Graphics. Terrible (ironic/hipster storyline). Its about "Evil" corporations (made by Capcom and Hipster-Theory).
    The director is a racist prick from Bollywood (Yes
    YOU Tameem)
    Angry Joe and the rest of the Guy with the Glasses Crew are morons. They're cashing in and trying to fit in with the big dogs (IGN, Gamespot, etc).
    It's funny because after Angry Joe made his review, random people have made accounts on here making "good" 10/10 reviews.
    Most of them appear to be COD-Tards, etc.
    Anyways. To the point.
    The New Dante is Terrible. Its as if Tameem imagined himself as a white emo-kid addicted to meth (like something out of Blood on the Dance Floor).
    Again, I can't stand racist pricks from other countries (in this case he's so HATEFUL and racist that he out right not only insulted the Fans but WESTERN culture in general. Keep in mind that I AM from the Middle East and I AM VERY Familiar with Bollywood. The new DMC is like if Bollywood tried to make a Matrix movie. LOL). Anyhow. Gameplay. Is decent. Worse than Odyssey to the West (saying alot).
    Frame-rate is terrible (Angry Joe is either blind or he has a better television than most folks).
    Controls are VERY loose. Voice Acting is AWFUL (other than Virgil. Virgil looked like a Hipster but was an OKAY character, as was Mundus). Character development is terrible.

Buy this game when its 9.99.
    Thats what I did with Ninja's last game (Odyssey) And I HATED Heavenly Sword.
    I wish that SONY had never bailed out Ninja Theory. They should've left those hipsters in the economic trash-bin that they deserved to be in. They made TERRIBLE movie games before all of this (LOOK UP THEIR STUDIO HISTORY, they MADE Catwoman the game , and that TERRIBLE game , Malice).

Seriously. I'm not an angry fan-boy. I'm just an educated gentleman who is familiar with Tameem's elitist mindset. He is the villain of the DMC story, which is ironic, but oh yes, he's also a hipster, so its SUPPOOOOSSSED to be Ironic.
  69. Feb 21, 2013
    I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC. After all I'm also a fan of the Bayonetta witch and I've been very entertained by it but it just felt like the right game in the wrong franchise. If you're just looking for some twisted action, you should definetly give DMC a chance and experience a seven Long story short: Devil May Cry is the best Bayonetta 2 that could`ve been. Expand
  70. Mar 30, 2013
    While I can't see this being a great DMC game, I can see DMC as a good slasher game. First of all, combos and fighting is very fluid. Decently complicated, but not impossible, the controls start off simple, and the levels ease you into learning new tricks and getting new weapons. As for the story, the same can't be said. If this hadn't been a DMC game, it could've been better. The story tries to fit the classic characters (Virgil, Dante, etc) in, but simply can't do to the lore that has already been presented in previous DMC games. Another thing is that some mechanics could use more work. I am not a fan of having to play through a level 5 times just so I can unlock everything. But, despite the weak story and some bad mechanics, DMC is still a solid slasher, and shouldn't be discounted just because of fan's reactions to the reboot. Expand
  71. Jun 17, 2013
    The Game has solid overall gameplay but the characters are far too different from the original characters, The original games are much better but this game is very good but should have gone with a different title because it is too different from the original games
  72. Feb 6, 2014
    DMC is a total reboot of Devil May Cry franchise, done by a new team. I played the other games in the franchise, and though I enjoyed them all, none of them truly wowed me. Honestly, neither did this--but I probably liked it more than any of the others.

Story
    Prior DMC games have plots that are usually only about half-way coherent. DMC is a step up in the this regard, creating a story
    that is mostly coherent, if not stunning. Dante and his brother Vergil are terrorists working to bring a Demon King that is secretly controlling the world. This is somewhat underutilized, since Dante only fights demons during gameplay, facing human opponents only briefly in cutscenes. Nevertheless, I was okay with it. The world is also reimagined, focusing on the realm of Limbo, where demons drag Dante to try and kill him. Overall, the most fleshed out of any DMC world building to date.

Graphics
    The game's graphics are solid, but nothing special. Just about average for a PS3 game.

Gameplay
    It's fast, continuous action. The sheer diversity of weapons and actions sometimes almost seem too much to me. You can string just about anything into a combo, which actually kind of made me feel there was less depth than there could have been. Still, when it works, it can be fun to swing from one enemy to the next, assaulting them with a barrage of nonsensical demon and angel weapons. As usual, the moves are totally over-the-top.

Overall
    It was a fairly fun way to pass the time, but it never elevated itself to memorable levels. 7/10.
  73. Jan 16, 2013
    Pros: Fun, the only factor that truly matters in the end.

Cons: Doesn't fit source material, would have been better if the characters simply had different names to be a new IP rather than offend what it was supposed to be.

possible Pro or Con: Easy.
  74. Jan 15, 2013
    Ok first of all, I want to point out how the so called "Critics" are taking orders to boost/push some games, this game is the brightest example.

Now to the game,
    If you have played the demo, more or less you have seen everything, this over-colored, over-bright graphics are everywhere and where the're not, the opposite happens and the colors and the textures are blandly dead.
    Too odd
    graphics combined with the camera movement (like in enslaved) will make you eyes bleed.

Fighting system, just have a go at DMC3 or DMC4 and then come back to DmC, extremely slow, no lock-on system, the combos are just lame, not effort is really needed to stay on air, and in general dante is all over the place, you cant really focus and charge to a specific enemy and knock your self out hitting him.
    oh Yeah and the bullets that leave trails are a really nice touch, it makes it look even cheaper/older....

Now about the story/script clearly the people who wrote them have some issues and really need to see a doctor. Like swearing all the time and to top it, Vergil shooting a pregnant woman? really? now really?

Not much to say about Dante he is dislikeable ...if there was a **** he would have send it over the scale.....Let alone how he looks

Just don't buy it, but if you are curious to see what is all about , buy it used in a month for 5-10 euros.

@Capcom com'on you are way better than that, everyone knows that.
  75. Jan 15, 2013
    I will try to take every single detail into account while writing this review. Hokai here it goes:
    Let it be known that I have been a faithful Devil May Cry fan since the original one came out on the PS2. I have played every single DMC game and I have watched every episode of the animated series. At first I rejected this game because it was not the Dante I knew and loved. But as I played
    the first few missions, a new admiration overcame me. This new Dante is just as bad ass as the original. Sure he's more sexual and has a different look, but he has the same "whatever" badass attitude that we've come to love. The cast of characters isn't as great as Arkham, Lady, Jester and the rest from DMC 3, but they're similar in magnitude. The new Vergil is pretty cool and he did not deceive me for a second. You have to also accept the fact that this game is WAY BETTER than DMC 4. DMC 4 was the worst Devil May Cry game that I have ever played. The first half was amazing, but then the second half had the exact same missions in the exact same areas, with the EXACT SAME BOSSES. This game has a great story backed up with amazing levels that are visually stunning. The "flashback" environments with the gigantic chained statue or the way the world crumbles and changes as Dante is sucked into Limbo are amazing. The combat is still reminiscent of the original. The Style ratings are still there, thank god. And it's just pure fun. There's no complicated sword charging like in DMC 4 and you can keep a combo flowing for virtually minutes if you've got the skill for it. I personally would have preferred if they included more weapons like in DMC 3, but whatever I'm good with this. Overall, it does not beat DMC 3, the shining beacon of hope for games like these, but it is an AMAZING game. DEFINITELY BETTER THAN DMC 4 AND 2. You can see that Ninja Theory really poured their heart out into this and really tried hard. Expand
  76. Aug 31, 2013
    This game suffers from one crippling flaw which completely hampered my enjoyment and made it impossible for me to derive any pleasure from playing it.

The game does not contain even a single reference to Shrek.
  77. Feb 16, 2013
    Some times the community is a complete This game is AWESOME and a liked it very much Only the cinematics from the game are a stand alone movie... For me just go buy it ..But if you are not sure check out some videos on YouTube :D
  78. Apr 6, 2013
    Great combat. The different weapons flow very well together and makes juggling fun. Fast paced with nice puzzles. Ive been a dmc fan from the start and this didn't disappoint. Music fits very well and the story is just amazing. My only gripe is it felt like a true prequel rather then a reboot. Either way i hope to see more.
  79. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is better than I expected. Combat is mostly pretty smooth and still feels pretty good when you play on higher difficulties and pull something elegant off. It's much easier on the whole though. There are very very few real bosses and none of them are really at all difficult. Odd for a game that's entirely action based.

The atmosphere is excellent in terms of visuals, stage
    design is creative but platforming is simple and less imaginative. The characters range from bland to somewhat likable but Dante is cringe worthy until about the middle where he sort of fades out.

The plot is simple and paced fairly well. Plus it was the rental for last month so not a bad deal for ps+ users. For free you might as well try it if you like action and have time. Otherwise, it's something you can afford to miss.
  80. Mar 6, 2014
    O.K for the sake of being honest I have played very little of the other DMC games mainly watching my brother playing it. So as a newcomer I liked this game I found the others to hard and would generally would not play this kind of game, it was the main guy Dante who pulled me in and there lies the controversy of this game.

Die hards of the game will hate the new look and new attitude of
    Dante but as a newcomer it does not bother me to much. The game is a lot easier than previous entries in the series but if you still want the challenge there are plenty of difficulty's to choose from including the Dante must die mode and heaven and hell or if you are really hardcore hell and hell.

But this is a GOOD game and if you have not played a DMC game before and if you are not a fan of fighting games (normally I hate them) I would still recommend it.

The Good- Excellent level design the world feels like it wants and actively tries to kill you
    The Bad- Negative scores given by fanboys unfairly scoring this game 0's 1's 2's
    The Ugly- Oh Ninja Theory why would you do that with the wig hair joke you really thought that was a good idea?

Final Verdict: 8/10 A Dam Good Game
    Have a look at it even if you generally don't play fighter games like me.
  81. Jan 16, 2013
    Gameplay is simpler.
    Gameplay is easier.
    The Story has shameful characters.
    The Graphics are ok, as the music style. But these 2 elements just can't save the game.
  82. Jan 19, 2013
    I think it's pretty friggin' ridiculous the negative backlash it's getting from people who NEVER even played the game in its entirety. DMC, is a great game. It may not be the same Devil May Cry we've grown up with over the years but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dante - in essence and personality is still true to his character. In fact the Dante this time around seems more realistic. The combat in DMC is pretty damn accessible, the gameplay was down to the tee of the original games. I think the overall thing that got me was the narrative. Devil May Cry 3 was probably my favourite Devil May Cry game, Vergil was such a great character and the calibration between both Dante and Vergil really hooked me. Without spoiling some of the key plot points let's just say the game in its entirety is an origin story. Everyone was wondering why Dante didn't have white hair and people bashed Ninja Theory for something so stupid. The reason being is because it's apart of the story. One would have to play through to truly enjoy. People can cast ill judgements upon the game, but all I gotta say as a fellow Devil May Cry fan and a gamer: You're missing out. Expand
  83. May 19, 2013
    Don't feed the trolls!
    If you liked the previous DMC games, you will like this one.
    I think this is one of the best so far.
    I like this version better. It shows you what happened before he was a demon hunter.
  84. Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry to all the fans that were let down by this game but it isnt a zero if you put zero your ignorant because this game could be worse go play et then tell me which is zero bottom line is games are going through a change and people dont like it and capcom seems to be falling not the case in my eyes or critics devil may cry pushes boundaries and this games story is pretty good the visuals are also top notch and combat is fluent and can keep up with older installments in enjoyment it could improve in areas but is no way shape or form a 5or under sorry traditonal game fans its time for change and this is a step in the right direction Expand
  85. Jan 12, 2014
    Pretty awful. Glad It was free with PS+ though so i didn't waste $60 on this mess.
    Point system ( or soul) feels really undone (it seems to take forever to just get one orb let alone two for boss fights.. hey i'm not a gamer that can beat a boss in one try usually..)
  86. Jan 17, 2013
    -Dumbed down combat mechanics (You can do an SSS rank mashing only one button. Seriously?) -no auto lock (no automatic one doesnt count) - later levels are lacking in visuals, same with monsters vulnerable only to one type of attack that you need to constantly switch between which gets incredibly tedious and repetitive as the game progresses
    - emo dante - the abortion scene - all the ****
    YOU" level of writing. Seriously what the HELL is this? Is this what the franchise has become? Ninja Theory basically butchered this game making it a sad shell of its former self. Expand
  87. Mar 5, 2013
    Any reasonable person with a fully functioning brain can see that this is a masterclass in how to do a reboot. The story, the characters, and most importantly, the gameplay have been revamped and updated for a more intelligent audience. I'm a big fan of the previous games especially DMC3, but this game really brings the series into the modern world, both in terms of story and in gameplay.

With just 2 trophies to go I've spent close to 50 hours on this game. Buy it.
  88. Jan 15, 2013
    A disgrace to the Devil May Cry franchise. This game killed the whole series with it's awful combat, awful characters and awful storyline. Nothing that made people love the series is left with DmC: Devil May Cry. Ninja Theory and Capcom did a horrible job on this game.
  89. Aug 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with barely any flaws. Anybody who dislikes the game because of the previous games is just sad. They needed this and it worked out perfectly. Amazing graphics, incredible gameplay, awesome story, great music.. I just dont see the "bad" people are talking about.

See the thing is, if this game wasnt called "DmC", it would be one of the best games most of these people have
    ever played. But because they rebooted the DmC franchise, you losers are going crazy. Look at that. 561 dislikes? Thats pathetic. This game deserves the high ratings and the praise. I hate that this game gets looked down on because a bunch of losers cant handle the fact that they rebooted the franchise. Get over it, and heres to hoping you didnt ruin the chance of them making DmC 2 cause i am actually looking forward to playing that masterpiece. Expand
  90. Jan 26, 2013
    I'd never before played Devil May Cry in any way, shape or form when I played this. And I loved it. Maybe it was my new eyes to the series, or maybe die hard fans aren't willing to give this a shot for any number of reasons, but I thought this was a great game, and definitely better than a lot of people would have you believe. If you want to play this game, play it, and find out for yourself whether or not it's worthy of the unfavorable user score. My rating: 10 :P Expand
  91. Feb 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:Gameplay is fun and enjoyable, new characters Kat and Phineas are interesting, and (Personally) I thought the soundtrack was amazing. Cons:Does not live up to it's promise of a great storyline and gameplay while fun, does feel like a step-down from the Style System from DMC3 and 4, games feels to easy and quite frankly I felt some missions were so short. The only reason they were counted as separate missions. Was to try to make the game seem longer. Also the new Dante is just plain boring, compared his classic counterpart. Largely due to the fact he lacks the original's witty humor and flamboyant personality. Overall a fun game, but a bad Devil May Cry Expand
  92. Jan 15, 2013
    It's obvious that the developers had no respect for fans. The game is also buggy as hell and the style system is broken. See YouTube videos to verify both of those claims.
  93. Jan 27, 2013
    I think this game is not for the hard core fan. I never played any DMC games before this one. I feel like most of the reviews that are bad on here are from the hardcore fans that don't like the changes. So far I am loving it. I am about halfway through from what i can tell, so keep that in mind, but the game play is fun, the fighting is only as stale as you make it, and the story so far is really well done. It FEELS like its building up to something really good, and every level seems like its epic in it own way. If there is a huge let down, or something charges, ill change my score. So far though really loving the game. Expand
  94. Jan 15, 2013
    Casualised, dumbed down, dubstep filled garbage. The prime example of how something so great such as the DMC series can fall to a cliché piece of crap just to pander to a younger and dumber audience. It would have been better if they let the series die at the fourth installment.
  95. Mar 29, 2013
    DmC Devil May Cry is a great reboot that deserves more credit. I was skeptical of Dante's new appearance while reading previews and watching gameplay, but Dante's new look has zero effect on the amazing gameplay! I still thoroughly enjoyed this game and will play through it again. The story and cinematics were fantastic and enjoyable to watch and I felt engrossed in the story and was impressed how the developers brought everything together. The combat and weapons are insanely fun and made the game one of the better Devil May Cry titles to date. I do feel the game starts to drag towards the end and the pacing is slightly off, but overall it's still plays like a DmC title should. Expand
  96. Jan 25, 2014
    Very cool art style. Just so different from anything out there. Really fun controls. Makes it fun and easy to do badass combos. Story is cool and characters are fun. The game is just fun. Really enjoyed its irreverent style. Great time
  97. Jan 18, 2013
    wow an amazing game, i really didnt expect it to be that great and was blown away. my expectations were really low and ive got to say its great. i loved the originals and havent seen a reason to hate on this one. so what if the character looks different? the new Lara croft looks different...i dont see people hating on that everywhere. I think people just jumped on the band wagon of hate for this game without even trying it. Expand
  98. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points. Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes. Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them. The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used. Expand
  99. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is extremely mediocre. Combat consists of mashing two buttons to flail randomly in the air. Enemies rarely move or attack, and even more so for the bosses who are all very easy even on the hardest difficulty. Also the controls are not very good or precise.
    There are tons of boring platforming segments to pad the game with artificial length and difficulty. The voice acting is very
    poor in general. The game's dialog is very bad and has far too much fowl language. Many times, I feel that the game is trying far too hard to be hip and edgy which nauseates me. The game's moving/changing environments are very boring since they do not affect the gameplay and only add sub-par platforming segments. Also the story is very boring and generally bad. Expand
  100. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is such as bad as rating says us. The combat is a slow joke - you can do SSS combos with just 1 button, the animation is just horrible. The plot is a mess and all characters are unlikable. Strongly suggest you to avoid this piece of crap for the good sake. Just play DMC3 once more instead. Here is where the real action is.
  101. Jan 15, 2013
    When we were kids, who played DMC series, we all dreamed of one day, if we could for just once, open a demon hunting shop, hunting demons ( Evils ) with styles by using creativity and wit so we can be cool. But the new kids who play DmC, they will all think dropping F bombs, bully fat guys, insulting people and being filthy and dirty are in terns of BEING COOL. Dante---a true hero who acts like he cares free but actually cares about humanity and friends around him with a kind heart. When people said demons never cry, he cried for friends and his family when no one can see it. Donte--- A FOUL LANGUAGE **** HOLE. Who even think he is the key of humanity. Collapse

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.