5.1

1. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a bad game. When I first started it up the intro had me expecting a great experience. The games darker and stylish edge looked intriguing, and I was ready for the game to suck me in. But the moment I assumed control of Dante and battled my first enemy all optimism was sucked out of me. The combat just feels so lifeless and hollow, which is sad because it had the potential to be a thrilling experience because you have access to all your weapons at once and can switch between them at any time during combat which can lead to some pretty insane combos. But the combat just isn't fun and ruined the entire experience for me. On the plus side the game looks and sounds great, and the story is backed by fantastic voice acting. The story is interesting but ends on a dull note, and as for the new interpretation of Dante (oh, in case you didn't know, this is a reboot) I personally enjoyed his new style and personality. I really wanted to like this game, and honestly I was expecting to, but the boring combat brings down the whole experience. I liked the story, style, and the new Dante, they all just deserve a better game. Expand
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    This is a decent reboot. The audio and art design is great. Combat is good but controls can be confusing to remember sometimes. Towards the end the game gets pretty repetitive. Overall the game feels hollow and not fully fleshed out. Accessible to newcomers. The story reminds me of Batman Begins. It's like the rebirth of a superhero. The thing I loved most about the game was the over the top zaniness in the game. I liked the soundtrack too. I felt it fit the game very well. Dante as a character is great. There's good voice acting. Bottom line: if you are looking for something different or over the top then you might enjoy this game, otherwise it probably won't be worth it to pick this up. Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2013
    Been a fan of DMC since the very first game and heard this is a reboot not a sequel which disturbs me more then any thing. Its basically Saying yeah thoose old DMC games yeah they never really happend they are BS. Which is no need because DMC 1 was a great game even though it had a very lack luster story it didn't need a reboot. Well we got one any way and well might as well try and enjoy it i mean it could be great could add more to the story right? well unfortunitly it abandons pretty much any thing resembling the first DMC's story for some thing more post modern i guess. having demons running the media and such stuff ... i dont know it was all kind of stupid to me.Then we have the new Dante oh dear god what have they done to you. Dante was once a cool looking swave, **** , cool , had a great one liner for ever thing kinda guy. Now he is a Emo looking dork who with every passing moment i just grew to despise more and more as the game went on . I mean its pretty bad when you just hate your main character but its like that with every one in the game though. They are all just lame and not well done. Though hating the main character isn't grounds for a terrable game though add on a crap story lame dialogue and the score is gona crumble a bit. Now for the gameplay with DMC is famous for ... Its pretty good . Its fast paced action pact and flows well like prevous DMC games for the most part outside of style rankings are freeking easy to rank up on . getting a SSS rank is not much of a challange now. The camera is good didnt have any trouble with it but ultimetly the problem with DMC is unlike prevouse DMC games since the story and characters feel so lame i just felt no reason to want to play this again after i beat it infact i felt more like going back to play DMC4 or DMC HD trilogy then wanting to play this again. which makes me glad i only rented it . Thats about where i would put this game at a rental and see what you think of it before you make any choice to purchase it. Expand
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    C'Mon, boring and mediocre users at Metacritic. There's nothing wrong with the reboot of Devil May Cry. I saw it this morning on GameSpot and well...I agree what they are saying and critics definitely liked how the reboot inspires to the original DMC game in 2001. I played the demo and Capcom outdone themselves by recreating Dante and start to become a bad-ass all over the whole game. If you wanna give out negative feedback to fans, make sure you don't understand what you're talking about. DMC is one of the best reboots to kick start 2013 and if you don't believe me, wait till the reboot of Tomb Raider comes out. Expand
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    It is the biggest suprise I had in 2013 that this game is actually real good. When the game first was introduced I also was dissapointed. I did not like the look of the new dante and this game felt weird by the screenshots. Saw this for free as a ps plus member, thought I should give it a try and dont regret the decision after all.
    its slower than its predecessors and the missing lock on
    is a big down point but the possibility to fight with all weapons at the same time switching smootlhy during the fight is awesome. Like also the art style and the characters are not that bad either, altough they up vergil.
    It aint perfect but it is much better than I have expected.
  6. Jan 26, 2013
    So due to HMV threatening to close on me I rushed into the shop to try and spend my gift card. I wanted to use my gift card on Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. But no luck. They hadn't had any brought in yet. So I decided i'd see if this was as bad as the "users" metacritic have said. Now I have played the game and can say that they are all a bunch of lying tw*ts. I'm guessing none of them have played the game and based the whole thing on the "wig scene" and Dante's new look. This is the wrong way to look at the game. DmC is excellent. I don't give out 8's very often, but DmC deserves it. The game pumps you with adrenaline as you hack through enemys. The music is a big part of this along with the grading system. Yes, the enemys aren't as difficult as some of you "Hardcore" gamers would like. But, a massive but, the game uses a grading system that judges how diverse your combat technique is and gives you a score at the end judged on combat, time, death and your exploration of the world. Overall is a challenge as you need to keep the combat fresh, keep your timing and find the hidden treasure all quite compact together to get a decent score. This is what makes DmC special.
    While Ninja Theory might have been a bit rude to the fans, they do their own take on a beloved franchise and nail it. It is after all, THEIR OWN TAKE! If this was a new IP i'm pretty sure the User score would be a 9. Ignore the loony people who haven't played the game and listen to me.
  7. ERB
    Aug 4, 2013
    Actually In my opinion this game is pretty good and awesome.I like the story and game play.Why do you guys hate It?I don't get It it.But you guys who hate this game,I don't what to say It but you guys are wrong.This game is really cool.In my opinion this is one of the best DMC games I've ever played.
  8. Apr 4, 2013
    I am not a fan of the franchise and, to be honest, I only played a couple of games back in the PS2 era and was immediately turned off by the difficulty level. Not that I don't appreciate a challenge, I do. But I think the DMC franchise just takes the idea of challenge a bit too seriously. Once I played the new DMC game demo I had the impression it would be a more accessible game and decided to give it try. And yes, it is. It's not an easy game (though it might be easier than previous entries), but it's definitely friendly, meaning that I had a great time with it. Beautiful graphics, cool gameplay where you can link chains and chains of combos using different weapons and moves, nice hero and story (though a bit over the top for me). It's a very good game, no question about it and I cannot point a big reason why someone would not like to play it. Expand
  9. Oct 12, 2013
    DMC is a great hack and slash game, the art style is amazing and it kind of has a dubstep feel to it. The voice acting is great, the soundtrack is amazing, boss fights are really good. From having all those good things DMC also has its downfalls such as Ninja Theory changing Dantes and Vergils character models. DMC also focuses too much at talking and forcing you into Limbo. During some parts in the game it almost feels like Ninja theory is trying to disrespect the first four games, it just seems like Ninja theory dosint give a crap about the Devil May Cry fanbase. The reason i call the new Devil May Cry DMC is because this is not a Devil May Cry game to me, its just a great knockoff. Th ending is pretty unexpected, although i should've expected what Virgil does. I think Capcom is trying to disrespect Devil May Cry just like they did to Mega Man. Expand
  10. Feb 4, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is a stylish return to form for the titular demon slayer. With his attitude and arrogance, Ninja Theory's depiction of Dante is fresh and contemporary. Fans might hate the direction Dante has taken, with his boyish good looks and the outward perception that he's just a by the numbers pretty boy. But the craft behind the elegant level design and the slick combat ensures that this is a distinguishable entry from Capcom's pure juggernaut. There are bouts of iffy platforming, rote boss battles and uninteresting character design, but these all pale under the immensely detailed world that has been bestowed. Beautiful, fresh and badass, Ninja Theory has reinvigorated Dante with a great action game to start the year off in style. Expand
  11. Sep 28, 2013
    No se enojen conmigo por una opinión personal pero... Para mí "DmC" es un juego fenomenal y divertido. Se notan cambios menores, pero el juego de Ninja Theory es, para mi gusto la tercera mejor entrega de Devil May Cry y, además me agradó revivir la experiencia que lo empezó todo desde la primera y mejor entrega.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    As god is my witness, this game's the height of perfection. Instead of a once ugly duckling Dante with old white grandpa hair, we now have a beautiful brunette swan. Thanks to Capcom for truly reaching the pinnacle of utter perfection with this absolute masterpiece of a game. I've already taken my copies of DMC, DMC2, DMC3, and DMC4, put them in the trash, and now DmC, Ninja Theory's stupendous reboot, sits upon the gaming throne in this hardcore gamer's domain. Expand
  13. Feb 2, 2013
    Haters, can seriously just shut up. The fanboys will get extremely pissed about anything whether it be a film series (e.g., Star Wars) or a video game series like Devil May Cry. For god sakes, give it a try. Play through the game and you will see, this is one of the best action games to be released in a while. Heck, its better than most of the games which released in 2012. The new Dante is absolutely amazing, sure he's more vulgar than the original Dante but that's what DmC is all about...its a REBOOT. Get over it. This game is amazing. Expand
  14. May 14, 2013
    Devil May Cry is a Reboot/ remake to bring the series up to date as such it will and does not appeal to everyone for fans of the series most do not like it because gone are the puzzles of old and endless backtracking or grinding. Replaced with a faster more action orientated story based hack and slash hybrid shooter.

The same production team who brought us Heavenly sword which was one
    of the best early ps3 releases. Ninja Theory in my opinion have done an overall great job in creating a credible new version of the game Dmc. The new combat system works well for the most part but sometimes seems to suffer a missing animation frame and response time is different than previous titles. Although you soon get used too how the new version plays.

Overall with sound trax from noisa, and Combi christ the music fits the game well and is great if youre a fan combi christ or noisa. the graphics are great and the game play switches smoothly from combat to cut scene and back again. The level design is high quality through out and you can see a lot of time has been spent on level design as now the levels are the puzzles as well. Most modern action games have a night club level in and the night club level in Dmc is about the best ive seen. since the nightclub in mass effect 3. Enemies are varied and many the boss battles are still great with all bosses having multiple health bars. there are 5 difficulties casual to very hard with more unlockable after that there are secret missions that you can use to farm gems to buy things in the main campaign too. there are online leader boards for each chapter and a bonus Bloody Palace which is hordes of enemies survive as many rounds as you can. Completion time 12 to 14hours on nephilim difficulty or above. So there is plenty of content and replayability. Over all a Great REboot and a game to try if you are new to the series or a fan of dante who likes the new style too
  15. Jan 14, 2014
    Sit back and enjoy the story and graphics - and the graphics are stunning.

I haven't been so awestruck by swirly colourful graphical beautifulness since Bayonetta.

I'm rubbish at fighting games. My reactions are slow and I can't remember the keypress sequences. In DMC thats OK because its easy(ish) on the lower difficulty levels. It took me about 14 hours to complete with lots of
    fairly random button hammering. You need to learn the jumps, but the rest you can leave to chance. If your kids are watching then just thell them its on uber hard difficulty and pretend all your lucky killer moves are deliberate.

Overall I still preferred Bayonetta, but DMC was a blast.
  16. Feb 3, 2013
    Played the originals they weren't to great, I like this one. No plot holes, minor glitches in combat (Which the original had.). Gritty, nice, new visualization and swearing. The end level fight (You will get it if you play it.) development still could have been eased into better. But still good weapons, good combat system.
    Pick it up give it a go. BTW original fanboys probably not for
    you, go complain all through the forums. Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2013
    Do not listen to payed review sites this is the worse DmC ever created. The game is shallow with repetitive combat and with a lame story for 15 year olds.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    "DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and " no **** you". The Plot is your typical masturbatory tale of how corporations are bad and evil with edgy little twists like the murdering of unborn children and brothers debating the length of their **** With all of the above in mind It seem ninja theory are the hero's we truly need to drag unscrupulous game journalists into the spot light and hopefully discover how they justify misleading and lying to consumers with claims that games such as DmC is anything near good.

I give this game a 10/10 for the valuable service it provides. Oh metcritic users here's a fun game, view the other reviews of anyone who gave this a 10/10 cause they sure love ninja theory games and that's about it.
  19. Jan 19, 2013
    The game is a fun game that allows for a multitude of combinations for various different combos in combat , its always thrilling when that SSS is on the screen for the whole fight ! This game in essence I think is great and really captures the essence of a good action game and should not be so throughly deteste by fans of the original Devil May Cry (2001) it is a solid entry and does its best to encoporate some of the combat elements of the original whilst reinventing itself. Why would Ninja Theory reboot it if they weren't going to change anything it would be absolutely pointless. Nonetheless there are a multitude of Pros and Cons for the game but overall I think this game is a well rounded game with a strong combat style, art style and will appeal to teenage audiences especially due to its new angsty thematics.
    Gameplay: 8.5 - Fluid (although not 60 fps) and fun combat with a nice variety to the way you can take the enemies out, it might not be the hardest game in the world but that's why you should aim for the top in terms of scores.
    Graphics and Presentation: 9: The new graphics and presentation style prove themselves to not just been some gimmick tacked on, as the world around you effectively becomes a part of the overarching narrative, and even if the story isn't perfect the voice acting is of a higher standard en general than in the previous devil may cry games. Lasting Appeal: 8.0: The game will last you an adequate amount of time in between all its challenges, score chasing and your first proper run through of the story to unlock stuff it will last you a long enough time if you let it! Summary: DMC offers a fresh take on a much beloved franchise, but I can't help but feel if these gameplay was implemented into a Devil May Cry 5 with the original Dante that this would have a higher user score - story aside and character design aside this is one of the best in the series... period.
  20. Jan 13, 2014
    I played this game as part of the Instant Game Collection available for free to Playstation Plus members.

This is the best game of its type I have ever played, period. I was completely surprised at how outstanding the quality of the game is and I highly recommend it. The graphics and art style are just fantastic, the sound and soundtrack compliment the gameplay really well, and the
    controls are just great. It has an engaging plot with twists that kept me interested throughout. I didn't find the gameplay frustrating in the least. I found that even in very highly populated fight scenes, enemies that weren't in camera view wouldn't attack from off screen. To be fair, once I realized this I was able to use it a few times to get through some tough fights by positioning the camera away from the tougher enemies while I widdled down the weaker ones, but the end result was a very fun experience. DMC is very accessible and I loved this game. Developer Ninja Theory's finest.

The only trouble I find is that games in this genre continued to be priced, day one, for 60 dollars. There's a lot of competition these days from games that will keep players interested up to 100 hours and sometimes more. DMC, on the first playthrough, might take maybe about 15 hours. By comparison, Assassin's Creed games usually last about 30 hours for me, and Batman: Arkham City over 100 hours. So, it can be a hard sell - which is why I didn't pick it up when it came out and I suspect is the reason why others may not have. And it's a shame because a lot more people might have given the game a chance if it were priced better. Despite its quality, a game in this genre should not be priced at more than 40 dollars, but that's just my opinion. In any case, Playstaion Plus members can now play it for free. I'm really glad I got to play it and am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Theory's next game.
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    Not being a fan of the original games, and frankly, hardly giving them a chance is what may make me seem rather bias throughout this review. However, I still feel I am entitled to what I have to say, so here I go.

DMC is, at least in my eyes, a decent game. Is it great? No. Does it have innovative, revolutionary mechanics? Far from it. Is it fun? Definitely.

DMC takes you through
    multiple environments, allowing you to hack, slash and bash your way through using a score based melee system. The game contains multiple collectibles and challenges, the former mostly in the form of keys, and the latter in the form of doors, opened using said keys. Each challenge is effectively a little combat or platforming section, in which you must navigate or battle your way through to an objective. Rather uninspired, but quite a lot of fun.

In terms of characters, they seem rather unlikable and not all that unique. Full of cliches and phrases which only seem to be achieved through Western developers, they offer very little to the plot, and only serve as stepping stones (and occasionally, obstacles) in what seems to be the games heart; combat. Don't be expecting A-grade writing on the story, either; just another cliche which feels rather tiresome and dull.

The killer feature of the game is it's combat system, which is fluent and almost perfect, making use of multiple weapons and equipment, with a set of upgrades purchasable from the store. The environments also feel unique; leaping through limbo in the style of a news broadcasting station or a dance club is rather entertaining.

Overall, the game is lacking quite a bit, but I still feel it isn't deserving of the drastically low scores people seem to be giving it. It's an okay game; not terrible, not great. I can see how it may be insulting to an original DMC fan, but the best cure for that is to not think of it as DMC at all, but a spinoff, an extra, a little sideshow.
  22. Feb 19, 2013
    After reading so many bad reviews and comment, I decided to stand out for this game. Everyone is complaining about how bored the storylines and Dante's new look. Believe it or not, I bought this game for $60 becasue of that hot demon with a awesome hair cut that i saw in the game store trailer. Even though i didnt play the last few games......well what's the big deal having a new style in the new game? It's not like hes the king of douche. Gameplay combat its pretty cool. But the whole game will be way better if it's way longer...maybe now days games are getting shorter and shorter (AC III, Sleeping Dogs, DMC) Sometime a game have a option to troll around by yourself will seem like the game is long like GTA 4. Shooting hookers, one man army those kinda stuff. But one thing that i am not really happy is that since Dante looked pretty damn hot and Kat's apperance is just meh. And i felt kinda weird that Dante and Kat is together since the last few games there are cute girls as Dante's sidekick.....anyone felt the same way....? Expand
  23. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  24. Apr 15, 2013
    I am a big fan of the devil may cry series on the PlayStation 2 and I do not care that the new Dante does not act like old Dante. Does anyone realize this is a reboot and not part of the original series! The story this time around is basically a retread of the first Devil May Cry, but instead of an island and a castle this time it is a city. The story actually makes you care about Dante and his brother Virgil, as it becomes a more of a personal tale. The gameplay might be easier, but that does not mean it is not fun. With the multiple weapons and combos there are limitless option for dealing damage to your enemies. The SSS ranking has become really easy to get, but bump the difficultly up and then try to achieve it. There are not enough boss fights in my opinion, but one stands out. I will not spoil it, but it's about half way through the game and is probably the most unique battle in the game. The graphics are not really impressive but are cool in their own right. The soundtrack is not my type of music but if your into heavy rock/metal you will enjoy it. This new Devil May Cry is just plain and simply "cool" and it makes you want to come back and chase the leader boards for a higher score. Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    Boring game. Boring combat, story, characters. The game can only display 3 enemies on screen at a time which is nothing compare to games like God of War 3 which can hold up to 50 enemies on screen. The game is easy even on the hardest difficulty level. Story is lame and dialog is so bad it hurts the ears.
  26. Mar 23, 2014
    I had a lot more fun playing DMC than playing God of war Ascension ! Plateforming sections and control-issues aside, the game offer great movesets and weapons and really cool boss fights.
  27. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  28. May 13, 2014
    Story: Ninja Theory actually put more effort on its story than any of its predecessors did. You play as Dante who has been brought to the Order (an anti-media cult) to help expose the demons that control the human population, while at the same time, poking fun at real life media (FOX news, sprite, a certain news reporter, etc.) in the process. If you've seen the cult film "They Live", then you know what the story is about. I found it unique how Ninja Theory made the demons able to control the humans with hidden cameras, poisoned sodas, corrupted news stations, and other unique ways. The characters however, are weak (especially when compared to the original 4 games).The new Dante's look is more of a punk teen rather than an emo, but his personality still sucks as he acts all selfish and tough around the rest of the cast. Plus, his one-liners suck compared to the original Dante (also hated how Ninja Theory basically insulted the original DMC series with that awful wig joke). Vergil is also weaker compared to his DMC3 counterpart not just in look, but in personality as he also acts selfish and does some controversial actions during the game (won't say as it'll spoil it). Kat (Dante's love interest) is also forgettable as she doesn't do much in the game. The rest of the characters like Mundus, his wife, and most of the bosses are also forgettable. The only interesting guy is Bob Barbas, but only because of how much of a hilarious jackass he is. The dialogue and voice acting aren't great either, and the ending was predictable (especially if you've played DMC3). Overall, this may be the best DMC plot, but that ain't saying much. 6/10

Gameplay:
    DMC is by far the EASIEST DMC game of the franchise, so if you're expecting a challenging hack-and-slash game, you'll be disappointed. There are 5 weapons in total: Your Rebellion sword, 2 angel weapons (fast, agile, and useful on crowds), and 2 demon weapons (slow, powerful, and deadly against single enemies), and swapping from normal, to angel, and to demon is as simple as holding a trigger. There are a few firearms (including Ebony and Ivory) in the game, and all of them are weaker than they've ever been. Luckily, there's a good amount of enemies to keep the gameplay entertaining. One big change to the gameplay is the style system. It's true you could "button-mash" your way to an SSS rating, but you're better off mixing up your combos as using the same move lowers it's value more. I really liked the skill system in this game since you could invest in a new combo, and you could remove that point to relocate it to some other combo all for free. This game does get challenging once you get to "Son of Sparda" mode and other higher difficulties (there are some exploits that make the combat more easier). You also get to use angel whips (pull you towards targets), and demon pulls (pull targets towards you) to make for some well made platformer sequences, along with the return of "Devil Trigger" (special ability). After a few updates, Ninja Theory added "Bloody Palace" (type of survival) mode as free DLC, so you'll be busy for a while after completing the story mode. The gameplay is great, but not at the same level as DMC3 or 4. 8/10

Graphics:
    The game's graphics are above average. The models look decent, the textures look decent, the lighting is solid, and the environments look okay. 6/10

Sound:
    The game has a good score. There are some songs by Combichrist that are my personnel favorites, but there are some songs that didn't stick inside my head after I finished playing. The in-game battle sounds are really good though. 7/10

Multiplayer:
    Only leaderboards.

Verdict:
    This reboot isn't as bad as everyone's saying, but it isn't the best DMC out there (I still recommend you get the HD collection 1st before this one). At it's current price, you could pick it up, or rent it if you like. Despite my thoughts on this, I'm still down for an improved sequel in the future.

Rating: 7/10
  29. Apr 4, 2014
    This is a low 8/10. I didn't complete nearly half the content the game has to offer. For the simple reason that this type of game really doesn't appeal to me. Now why would I give a game that doesn't appeal to me an 8/10? Well first off this is my first entry into the devil may cry franchise. And for what it is, they did a really good job with this origin story (as far as origin stories go). I couldn't get into doing the secret areas. I couldn't really get into the environments. I didn't really like alot of the characters. The game is hampered by it's low resolution of 720p...which is a real pity.

Why the 8? The game is absolutely beautiful...even with it's 720p handicap. The enemies the weapons....Dante's movements....the physics...everything is top knotch. The acting is even pretty good (alot better than resident evil). Like I said I didn't feel the need to learn all the combo's or complete the higher difficulties or do the secret areas. It just didn't appeal to me. I played to advance the story while marveling at how cool the fighting in the game was. That said, you can pull off some really brutally satisfying combo's in this game. Combat is fun in this game, period. There are a ton of weapons and it's satisfying to vary your attacks. Also the slow motion final blow to the enemies in the area is just awesome every time. It's fun.

My major gripes with the game were that I felt (when not in combat) like I was on rails most of the time. I didn't feel any connection or understanding toward the environment I was fighting in. So it was hard to feel anything toward the universe past the individual characters in the story. The boss battles were all very satisfying. The music was superb.
    1 problem was the ranged weapons, mainly ebony and ivory the iconic dual pistols of dante. They are terrible WEAK in this game. Their special powers ad combo's do next to no damage they are there to look badass and increase style points (the point system). I get what they were trying to do though. Being able to kill everyone with your pistols would detract from the game. SO their only real use is to look badass and to keep the style meter going (which is important).
    I really really enjoyed the final boss fight in this game. It was just so well done and so satisfying to play. It really made me want to go out and buy the sequel on the offchance I might get to experience another boss battle like that. The game didn't appeal to me, but I can appreciate a good game when I see one. 8/10.
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    This review gets a lower score as the PS3 version is notably worse than the 360 version. Anyways, Devil May Cry 3 is often considered to be the best game in its genre and even the best action/adventure game ever made. It's combination of simple intuitive controls, deep fast paced combat, challenging bosses, and wildly entertaining cutscenes with cool characters solidified its status as an all time classic. So DmC has some huge shoes to fill. And it fails on almost all regards. The gameplay manages to both be dumbed down yet harder to play. The controls are less intuitive and there's a slight delay in everything you do be it dodging or switching weapons. Without lockon there are issues with attacking the wrong enemy. The weapons are unbalanced as hell, the scythe is completely useless while the glaive and axe are gamebreaking. The enemy design is awful. The game is at its best when you are surrounded with several standard enemies, but the game insists on making you fight enemies who limit your moves. This guy can only be hit by this weapon, that guy by that weapon, etc. The further you get in the game the more the game consists of only these unfun pace-breaking enemies. Why even give you more weapons and moves to use if the game won't let you use them? The bosses are a pitiful easy joke not even worth talking about. Cutscenes that are unskippable break up the gameplay all the time and kill replay value. What we have been given is a shallow, simplistic casual game that is supposed to be rebooting a series known for being deep and hardcore. The platforming adds nothing but time to the game, it isn't fun yet it comprises almost half the gameplay. All in all the gameplay is absolutely awful compared to the predecessors this game is supposed to be living up to. Storywise Ninja Theory games are supposed to be strong, but that is not the case here. The plot is predictable and lifted entirely from They Live with a few other sources ripped off as well. The narrative proceeds with little character development and is utterly dull and generic. The voice acting is surprisingly unemotional, several lines in the game are botched, and the battle cries and pain noises sound amateur at best. The characters are bland and unlikable with only a few major exceptions. The soundtrack is mostly terrible. There's a few good songs in the game but most of the time it's just awful electronic mashing that anybody could make with no effort on a laptop. Even the final boss theme is horrible and boring electronic BFFFDDKKKWOOOOEW garbage. The best part of this game is the visuals. It's gorgeous, especially for a UE3 game. The colors are nice and vibrant and varied, the environments are extremely cool looking, and there are a lot of neat visual effects in the game I didn't know UE3 was capable of. Sadly though the environments get more generic and uninspired the more the game goes on, and the lighting effects are irritating at many points. All in all DmC: Devil May Cry isn't a good hardcore action game. Maybe it's a good casual action game, but that isn't what anybody wants out of Devil May Cry, and that isn't what the title is being advertised as. Also the practices the companies and journalists have applied to this game are appalling and insulting, this game is a huge sign to look to when it comes to corruption in the video game industry. Expand

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.