5.0

1. Jan 16, 2013
    I usually wouldn't give that low of a score to a game. But this game deserves a solid 0 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government is corrupt and we need to stand up and to face the demon: the government. Like we haven't heard this before, I can't see how anyone can like this game except some teenagers with over flowing testosterone. This game gets a light to a strong 0. Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is great. Currently played through on normal difficulty and have to say the story progression and character integration is amazing. I was one of the first people on the hate train when they announced the new DmC would be a complete reboot, as having played DmC3 & 4, I was upset with the new Dante. After purchasing and playing the game I have completely changed my outlook. People who are upset over the change shouldn't affect your choice in purchasing this game. Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    In my opinion this so-called "reboot" (I'm not convinced a reboot was even needed) rates very poorly. From the dumbing-down and over simplification of the combat mechanics to microscopic missions that take you from point A to point B with nothing more than a few enemies sprinkled here and there for you to kill along the way. This game falls flat on several fronts when measured against the standard set by most of the previous entries in the Devil May Cry saga .As far as I'm concerned this game has the air of a Devil May Cry game but not its heart. Expand
  4. Jan 30, 2013
    The game is a crappy EMO Piece of **** of a game with a crappy game-play and ****ty frame-rates. this game is made to cater to lonely wrist- cutting EMO'S who loves twilight................AND THIS GAME IS TOO KIDDY!!!!!
  5. Jan 16, 2013
    a complete mess of a DMC game.. not even a decent action game for that matter.. looking at it as its own, game lacks many functions to be considered enjoyable.. i mean its a bit jaggy on the ps3, super easy with auto-win button, infinite air grab, and redundant weapons like the guns and angel weapons.. comparing it to DMC is another thing; platforming is outta nowhere, removal of styles, easy SSS, removal of lock-on.. granted the only saving grace is the level design which looks cool honestly.. story of a horrible rehash of the original, only more in-depth and in result more corny.. DMC series was built upon parodies when it comes to stories, so taking a game like this seriously is the recipe of disaster. doesn't help that Dante and Kat are unlikable, so is Vergil and Mundus for that matter.. the Dialogue is the baddest thing about this game, childish profanity and corny lines just makes you cringe at every moment where there's a cut-scene.. speaking of which cut-scenes are unskippable here, and some happen mid boss-battle.. so in conclusion save your dollars for something better coming out this year(like Metal Gear Rising, GOW: Ascension, and Lords of Shadow 2); there are many action games worth the purchase.. and if you are really into DMC, i'd suggest the HD collection of DMC4 again..

+good level design

-corny and cheesy storyline
    -removal of lock on and styles
    -enemies barely attack you
    -broken devil weapons and infinite air grabs
    -SSS achieved easily
    -ebony and ivory plus the angel weapons are very weak
    -no reason for platforming
    -childish and corny dialogue
    -unlikable protagonist
    -unskippable cutscenes
    -cutscenes during boss battles
  6. Jan 16, 2013
    I still cant understand the rebooot. Little innovation with the combat, controls, or enemy AI. The game boxes you in with combat by making you use certain weapons to defeat certain enemies. If enemy is red, then devil weapon. huh? The color palette is not as colorful and contrasting as previous game. See DMC 4. Lastly, the bosses are not memorable. Ign who game the game a review of 9 only cited 1 memorable boss out of their top 10 DMC bosses. DMC 4 sold 2.73 million copies and Capcom is only expecting 2 million in sales. Another bad decision by Capcom Expand
  7. Jan 16, 2013
    I'll try keeping this short. No, the hate this game is getting is not about the character or the hair color or any of that nonsense, believe me if that were the only problems I'd have already preordered it. The problem comes from the fact that in every factor, form the story, to the soundtrack, to the technical specs, and most importantly, the gameplay itself, is a let down from previous entries in the series. Add in the fact that Tameem has publicly insulted old fans of the series along with taking a dump over the franchise and you can hopefully understand why I'm a little upset. I'm not going to tell you not to enjoy this game, heck I hope you sincerely get your money's worth, but know that I hope, with all my heart, that this game fails. Hard. Not out of hatred for you guys, but in the hope that it'll make Capcom release Tameem is a hack and the chance for a proper DMC5 rises from the ashes. Yeah, not likely, but if nothing else you can consider this my little **** you" to Tameem. Expand
  8. Jan 16, 2013
    I personally love this game! I have been a fan of the franchise from the beginning and I honestly cannot understand the constant verbal bashing of this game, Ninja Theory or Capcom! It's an enjoyable game it plays well, it looks and sounds great It has a more of an in depth story than Anarchy reigns which you all probably voted to be fantastic getting (9.1 gamer reviews)!. I don't feel that game has ever made itself out to be it something that it's not. It still has all the "Devil May Cry" madness and weirdness about it. Remember people it's a REBOOT, remember and love the old DMC for what it was for it's time and give this new take on the franchise a chance by keeping an open mind! I say Well Done Ninja Theory and Capcom, I love It! Those that don't can just go back and play some more COD. Expand
  9. Jan 16, 2013
    Played the demo of DMC , the new Devil May Cry / DMC 5 / DMC Reboot whatever , the combat is quite fun , there are so many diverse move sets to use chaining combos , but this acts as a double edged sword as performing them during quick combat is quite annoying , since there are air attack , air shoots , air grabs , air pulls , air melee , air melee secondary , on top of that these have ground variants & also there is the added pain of 2 different types of dodging moves.

Emo dante is cool [ not bad as i thought ] , i played DMC 3 i guess but he wasn't that talkative but now he talks just the right amount , however when conversations happen , the dialogs are just trash talk compared to conversations i would expect from a title called DMC , consider the game as Spider-Man in a less that serious demonic world , the BGM for both the demo levels was decent , nothing exceptional.

The Graphics were awesome but after i turned off the game my eyes were a bit watery & felt some blur or sorts until i washed them .

I Would still choose Ninja Gaiden Sigma / Sigma 2 / Ninja Gaiden 2 as my favorite hack N slash action games , the deadly vibe around the atmosphere is just to brilliant along with the overall seriousness & urgency of situation.

DMC is good but areas feel empty , well at least in the demo anyway & lack of good BGM makes that even more noticeable , at least in Ninja Gaiden , rain , flowing water , lively forests covered up the fact that you are alone till the next group of enemies strike but here i got bored a bit , though the game is entertaining , but for me not worth the price capcom have slapped on it .
  10. Jan 16, 2013
    There are only two types of negative reviewers for DMC: people who can't handle the content - and bots. This game has excellent gameplay, excellent narrative, great graphics. The combos are off the wall great and the controls are fluid. It's different from the other dmc games in terms of gameplay mechanics, but the meat and bones of it is still there.
  11. Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry to all the fans that were let down by this game but it isnt a zero if you put zero your ignorant because this game could be worse go play et then tell me which is zero bottom line is games are going through a change and people dont like it and capcom seems to be falling not the case in my eyes or critics devil may cry pushes boundaries and this games story is pretty good the visuals are also top notch and combat is fluent and can keep up with older installments in enjoyment it could improve in areas but is no way shape or form a 5or under sorry traditonal game fans its time for change and this is a step in the right direction Expand
  12. Jan 17, 2013
    I just finished the game, which kind of became a drag later on. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just atrocious. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got ashamed of al the profanity, mind you, I was playing ALONE. Pro's - I liked some of the music, though the placement was way off sometimes. - Some platforming was ok, better than most Devil May Cry games.
    - Wonderful enviromental design

Cons:"

- Juvenile and shallow writing
    - bad story - characters are 1 dimensional as can be
    - character design is just plain bad
    - combat got boring really fast
    - game focusses on enemy's that need different weapons to take down later on in the game. This sacrifices creativity and combat freedom. The meaning of Devil May Cry games, if you ask me.
    - No replay value whatsoever
    - It's just waay to easy

I honestly dont get all the great scores by reviewers, did they even play the game. Did they ever play a Devil May Cry game? All my hope in gaming journalism is gone, as of now.
  13. Jan 17, 2013
    The thing this game does good is, definitely, - the gameplay. Combat looks and feels easy once you got used to controls and (if you are a fan or just a guy who played and liked past DMCs) the abscence of lock-on option, whick kind of makes you feel uncomfortable at times, because sometimes Dante concentrates not on the target you want him to concentrate on or camera makes you look another way thus makes you irritated, disoriented and open for damage. Because of lock -on deletion many old actions are now a bit more complicated to pull off.... I'm talking about Dante's signature "Stinger" move, which is now done by moving Left Analog Stick twice in the direction you want to attack... it may not sound difficult, but sometimes it doesn't work the way you want it to. "Getting used to" is the main principle when it comes to controls. But you don't want to hear about controls, don't you ? You want to hear about Devil May Cry ! You want to hear about what kind of awesomness is going on the screen while you watch cutscenes, how characters interact with each other and basicly how overall cool you feel while playing it. It is shame, my friends, but Hideki Kamiya's Devil May Cry is long gone from here. You won't feel yourself controlling a guy who is in constant control over the situation, who jokes and cheers you up with his carefree attitude, his charm and lack of seriousness. No, this game takes itself way too serious: some cutscenes in the game make you feel as if it tries too hard to be Metal gear Solid, because it has a bad habbit to always explain things (which original universe didn't too with such fanatism). The bosses are pretty good, I liked nearly all of them, but mind you - not as boss-fights (they are pathetically easy) but as persons with characters, my most favourite are Bob Barbas, who is, strictly speaking, a satire towards T.V. news network and Media itself, and second one is Mundus, who, for my personal pleasure has a pretty likable and interesting personality (the thing he didn't have in DMC1). The enviroments look great and colourful with secrets waiting on every corner, but I can't bring myself to love those scripted "RUN" sequences which literally scream at you: "I WANT TO LOOK LIKE UNCHARTED SO YOU CAN LIKE ME MORE !!!"... They make you feel as if all your actions are scripted by some game programmer who thought that it might be neccessary to disable all attack buttons while the scripted scene is being "played" without the need of your taking part in it. Mind you - the game isn't bad by any means, it has nice combat, interesting story premise which deals with interesting and believable issues like "What is freedom ?" "What would humans do with freedom ?" "Why a man needs power ? In order to protect those who have need in his protection or in order to enslave the will of those he has power over ?" and yes, those are interesting things to think about, but this isn't Metal Gear Solid, neither this is Silent Hill, this is Devil May Cry - a game, main goal of which was always in making you feel yourself in control of Awsomness Embodied, a unbeliaveble man who does everything in the name of looking good and stylish while saving the world... Here, on the other hand, we have a believable characters, who aren't even half that cool and awesome.... And this is the main sin of this game - it is not as enjoyable as classic games (well, it is better then 2, that's for sure). So if you are a open minded fella who is interested in new ideas and images for old characters and gameplay premises then this game is fr you. As for me (being a enormous DMC fan since 10 years old) I see a good game which tries to be Devil May Cry while being something absolutely different. For example classic Devil May Cry traditions are left behind: Dante does not get impaled by his own sword, doesn't destroy the last boss with "JACKPOT" and doesn't shed a single tear in the end of the game.
    It's really for you to decide is it bad or good
  14. Jan 17, 2013
    DMC 5 is the best dmc game ever.... stunning graphics... awesome gameplay.. great work ninja theory.. amazing level designing.... fine story...but still the best....game ever in the history of hack and slash games....
  15. Jan 17, 2013
    This is NOT a game for pure DmC fanboys, if you are one of em just stay away from it or you will end up kid-raging and giving it a 0 like most of the other kids are doing here. However if you are an open minded gamer and would like to try out one of the most polished and visually stunning hack n slack of the last years just go on and get it, you won't regret it.
  16. Jan 17, 2013
    I enjoyed this a game a lot. Being a hardcore dmc game since the first when the reboot was announced i was pissed. Then as time went on i saw the game play which stayed true to the old games while keeping it fresh. I gave it a try and it has some over the top action like in the old ones. I think that any old hardcore dmc fan would enjoy this alot if they just gave it a chance.
  17. Jan 17, 2013
    While this game has a pretty great combo system, the enemies you use them on are not particularly challenging and the only ones that take time to kill are only weak to either Angel or Devil attacks. This breaks up the flow on combat and feels arbitrary. In comparison to the previous DMC games which did have enemies that required certain attacks (like weakening them with gunfire before using melee moves), it's prohibitive. Even so, getting yourself high scores in this game is so easy from how the style metre works (it doesn't drop a grade unless you are hit), how the exploration rank carries over on each playthrough (meaning you only ever have to interact with the secret missions and Lost Souls once) and how finishing levels in a "quick" time is very easy. The layout of the levels is also very monotonous. If it's not floating platforms, it's large, bland rooms. It's simply boring to navigate and because they are so linear, getting lost is just not possible.
    The writing is also atrocious. Honestly, truly bad. Mainly it's the dialogue. If Dante isn't repeating something Vergil JUST said, he's swearing at enemies in a non-witty, non-charming way and it makes him very unlikable. Most of the characters are flat and I don't buy their motivations for doing what they do. On top of that, Lilith and Mundus are the most "human" feeling characters of them all, which makes some later and shocking scenes (I won't spoil it for people who don't know) side with them instead of the brothers. There's also a number of things that are never explained, such as what purpose Mundus' whole system serves, or why exactly only Nephilim can beat him when it seemed fairly simple. It also sets up Sparda as a character in the second mission but we never hear nor see him when we should have.

Ultimately, the game has a nice combat system that while doesn't stand up to the speed and potential complexity of DMC 3 or 4, is still functional and fun. But that's about it. Nothing else about this game impressed me and the general attitude of both the creators of the game and the defenders of it towards the angry fans of the previous franchise, who have all made valid points as to why this game is bad(no, it's not simply about his hair colour) and why DMC shouldn't have been rebooted, has made me already dislike this game somewhat. I was hoping to be surprised by a hack n' slash that could blow me away as much as the previous DMCs did, but it didn't. It's bad, get the HD Collection and DMC4 instead.
  18. Jan 17, 2013
    I told myself so many times that I'd hate this game for the longest time, and I 'knew' it would be horrible. However, by the time of Nov. 2012, I decided that I was, in fact, excited by a new DMC, and I preordered it (partially to get the amulet). Now, I played the demo so much that I actually rarely played the full games I did own. The game's story seems pretty good to me, because I honestly don't care if something is cliched, so long as it works, and I personally enjoyed the story. Now, to the points of my review:

1. Dante, and the other characters, received as much, if not more, character development in this one game than they did through the entirety of the other four games. Don't get me wrong, I will always love the original four, especially DMC3, but this one did a great job developing characters.

2. The combat was much better. I was never incredible at the other Devil May Cry games, honestly just because I never have been good at pulling off complex combos (like in fighting games and such), so this one made me feel like I was incredible at the game, and I've even begun learning how to do some very complex combos too. More accessible.

3. No backtracking.

4. Darker. The setting befit a game centered around half demons and a world overrun by Hell.

5. The soundtrack. I absolutely loved the soundtrack to this game.

My only gripe is the length, I wish it took me longer than ten hours to beat.
  19. Jan 17, 2013
    This is flat, simple game without soul. They kill beatyfull game series. Music bad, gameplay boring(2 buttons to get SSS), bad interface. Maybe, if this game not been DMC(What means Devil may cry), maybe it been not so bad.
  20. Jan 17, 2013
    It makes me sad to see that this game is being Metabombed for all the wrong reasons. First, this game is fantastic. The new story is more believable and much less Japanese. The action is fun, fast, and challenging (though not too difficult). The environments are imaginative and the stages are fun to play.

What you need to understand is that this game is a reboot. That means it has
    little in common with its predecessors. If you're a fan of the old DMC, you have 4 great games you can play. If DMC always seemed a bit odd or difficult, this is the one you'll want. Ninja Theory has done a great job keeping the combat accessible while retaining depth. If you want to just mash your way through big fights, you can do that (assuming you're on easy). If you want to do insane, spectacular customized combos, you can do that too. Fans of the series have been in an uproar ever since seeing new Dante doesn't have white hair. Now they're mad that the new game isn't soul-crushingly difficult. So they come on Metacritic and try their best to destroy this game. If you compare this game to other games in the DMC franchise, its very different. If you compare this game to other games in general, it stands well above most. Listen to the critics, not the haters. Expand
  21. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a beautiful game, it good storytelling, but it lacks the gameplay depth of the series, lacks surprises, and the majority of the gameplay was spoilered by Ninja Theory itself in their official walkthroughs.

Just like Devil May Cry was trying to mimic God of War.... spawn enemies everywhere, poor move set, lots of cutscenes, and a lot of real-time events.

You watch a lot of cool things, but play much less, and with much less quality. Playing it for the second time, you can barely find something new and worthy.

Low frame rate, and LOTS of graphical glitches. Every hole you fall show unfinished places, and every cutscene flashes bad rendered frames at your eyes.
  22. Jan 17, 2013
    Appallingly mediocre in every aspect. Everything from the sophomoric storyline to the painfully repetitive button mashing combat is a disappointment. The atmosphere of fun that has characterized the Devil May Cry series is gone, replaced by the same grimgritty slosh that has completely destroyed modern FPS games. If you are a 12 year old boy who has just discovered video games and the F-word and thinks rifle abortions are in no way horribly offensive, then this game is for you Expand
  23. Jan 17, 2013
    Soooo many cry babies. It's interesting how many people can't grow up and try something new. I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Allow us to look at Devil May Cry's history.
    Devil May Cry - Set the standard for action games.
    Devil May Cry 2 - Biggest disapointment in the history of gaming
    Devil May Cry 3 - One of the best redemption stories we've ever seen in gaming

Devil May Cry 4 - Aka MGS2 or Halo 2.

DmC is a very good game. Best story in the series where the story is almost nonexistent. Gameplay is better than Devil May Cry 1,2, and 4. Unfortunately it's the Unreal Engine, but for the Unreal Engine it's actually pretty nice. Dante's look is fine. I was tired of the Sephiroth/Raiden-esqe look that Dante had. New Dante doesn't smoke cigs and unlike the first Dante who doesn't get it in with females or it's assumed, New Dante gets it in before the game started. Awesome. Game is good. Give it a shot. 2nd best game in the series in my opinion. Devil May Cry 3 is definitely number 1. DmC is number two on the list. Stop crying.
  24. Jan 17, 2013
    Bloody 5000 character cap...

So I guess I'm going to keep this short. Let's just get one thing straight, though. If this weren't connected to DMC in any way, shape or form (which wouldn't be much, considering all one would have to do is change the name of the game and the characters), this could be an average hack n slash. There is SOME fun in the gameplay to be had. But that's the
    thing. This IS a DMC game, and it should be treated as such. And reviewed as such.

The Gameplay, while it allows you to switch all weapons on the fly, simply doesn't have the same depth and fluidity of the previous games (even DMC3 and 4). Controls are convoluted (two dodge buttons, people, and neading to hold one of 2 buttons just to have a certain "stance), but the game is surprisingly easy (even on the hardest difficulty out of the box). Enemies are slow reacting idiots with pathetically easy to telegraph attacks, and only (marginally) pose a challenge when they are enemy types that HAVE to be killed off through specific weapons, forcing you to change your attack pattern against your leisure (this wasn't the case in previous games, as you could fight what you wanted, with whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted). Combos are relatively shallow, and half of the moves presented can be made entirely useless with a few select moves that can skyrocket the style meter (that will NEVER DROP unless you take a hit) while dealing maximum damage. Bosses are no better, and most of them can be beaten through set patterns, which would also deal maximum damage and skyrocket the style meter. Any difficulty the game has is through fake difficulty of fighting the free-form camera and through the "kill enemy X with specific weapon type" system they have in place, and not through intelligent and aggressive foes.

Let's not even talk about the various glitches in the game, and the obvious graphical and framerate issues due to the over-done and poorly used Unreal Engine 3...

Platforming segments are interesting, but can get boring really fast, especially considering the only "threat" you will face in these segments is missing a jump to a bottomless pit (which only takes away a small portion of your health, hardly punishing to the player). The "Run segments" have a false sense of urgency and only really operate through animation triggers (timed and tripped), and also have the problem of being to lenient if you "fail" (which is nigh-impossible to do). Environments CAN be pretty, but the art direction of the game to make it grungy and dirty kind of ruins the appeal to the more ethereal look to some of the stages.

The game, in of itself, is VERY manipulative and hardly offers the player the room to be creative, instead opting to string the player along very linear segments most of the time, while also placing previously mentioned enemies that can only be killed via certain weapons and methods. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but when you advertise a game that is SUPPOSED to endorse player creativity in game, it becomes a direct contradiction.

While SOME fun can be had in the game, as mentioned before, it's repetitive and manipulative nature can in turn make things become alot more dull. Speaking of which, rewards for accomplishing usually more difficult tasks becomes painstakingly underwhelming when you (very quickly) figure out the nuances of the game. SSS ranks become easy, finding keys to secret doors becomes a chore, secret missions are generally easy, getting 100% completion in every mission (after acquiring certain weapons and skills to open certain doors and passages in previous levels that were initially impossible to pass) becomes more busywork for achievements/trophies than any real satisfaction.

Let's talk about the story and dialog that Ninja Theory has been praised for in Heavenly Sword or Enslaved. If you liked the stories in those games, you will be SORELY disappointed with this one. The dialog stinks of a 13 year old mindset that just discovered cuss words and vulgarity, and when it's not being as raunchy as possible, it feels stilted and rather bland. The story itself, due to poorly written character interactions and the ludicrous amount of plot holes in this game alone, is a fest of cliches and cultural references that are supposed to be taken seriously. Top that off with the constant vulgarity, and you have this piss poor story. You can argue that DMC games never had great stories to begin with, but when one of the developers strong suits is SUPPOSED to be the story, and it ends up like it is, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong. Over all, if you are a self-respecting DMC fan, don't buy this game new. I'd suggest not to play it at all, but morbid curiosity get's the best of all of us. As for newcomers, DMC4 is available at bargain prices, and is a good place to start in the series for gameplay and lore alone. If you are a general fan of hack n slash, borrow, rent, or get it used at your own discretion.
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is a very stylish game, with unique combos, and an amazing combat system. The new DMC is simply better than the rest, because the setting is much more likable, and the graphics are very stylish and likable as well. Three good words that can describe this game is stylish, badass, and sexy.
  26. Jan 18, 2013
    The major problem with this game is that it's another effort where Ninja Theory show that they CAN try, but they don't really know how. The Virility factory level and the Raptor News level were competently designed and could almost be fun to navigate if the platforming segments weren't so short. Other problems with this game have been mentioned to death in the other reviews, but I feel the facft that NT has a smidgen of creativity hasn't, and it would be unfair not to mention that. Other than that... Squirrel Spunk, fighting a demon foetus and the giant disembodied head of Bill O'Reily as bosses in this game should be enough to drive anyone off that hasn't been put off by the juvenile profanity-laden exchange between Donte and The Secret Ingredient (I refuse to call that thing a Succubus). Also, I have seen the interaction between Donte and Wergil (what I like to call Vergil in Name Only) being praised in the professional reviews and I don't understand why. It's soulless. The voice actors are either not talented enough to pull it off or are just bored out of their skulls, but I didn't find it quite as entertaining or ironically tragic as the exchange between the twins in DMC3. Overall, the game misses on so many notes it's impossible to give it a higher score, and that was for some slightly inspired platforming and one weapon that actually works with the lack of lock-on. Expand
  27. Jan 18, 2013
    So yeah I'm a huge Devil May Cry Fanboi. I've spent countless hours on the originals mastering my skills, just loving the combat and the soundtrack and as a matter of fact it was Devil May Cry that made me buy a PS2 because i thought i was done with consoles after PS1. I consider myself a Professional at DMC. I rank in the Top 10 leaderboards for bloody palace in dmc 4 and i've entered True Style Tournament twice.
    (if you dont know what TST is you are not a hardcore fan) I was curious on Ninja Theory's take on my beloved series and i saw the first artworks of Dante i was shocked and mad at NT for defiling DMC like that but after they changed Dante into what he is now in the actual game he kind of grew on me. Looking back now he actually looks less emo now than he did in dmc3 (where he had this screamo band leadsinger haircut only in white) Regarding his attitude i dont see a real difference, Dante has always been snappy, cracking cheesy 1 liners occasionally, he is just a little more hostile now, feeling lost in this crazy world not knowing why he has super powers, where he belongs or what he really is.
    It fits the character design very well. He evolves during the course of the story and becomes more concious and caring towards the end. Ok now that i've made my point about the design lets talk about the actual game itself.
    First the Level Design is just brilliant. I've never seen anything like it before in any videogames. The levels constantly change and shift as dante goes in and out of limbo, its just pure genius and deserves the uttmost respect for the level designers.
    The soundtrack is also great with combichrist's massive riffs pushing you forward and it also feels like they stayed true to the old games mixing in electronic drumloops and modern cuts (seriously check out Pull the Pin its just awesome), while noisia provide dark and grimey ambient bits that just feel on point wherever they are used.
    The Story of the game is predictable and kinda stolen from They Live but i dont mind too much. It has been a while since i've played a video game with an original story and also the succubus and virility has clearly been ripped from Futurama (Slurm anyone?), but hey the stories of the old dmc games or even the anime just feel stupid compared to this one. It's like preferring Tim Burton's Batman Movies to The Dark Knight Trilogy. The old ones (though being good at the time) just dont hold up anymore.
    The Combat and the Platforming is where this game really shines. As I've said before, i know DMC combat mechanics like the back of my hand but the fluidity and the simplicity of this game's combat are really exceptional. Yes they have been dumbed down in a way but its for the better. It looks great and plays even better. Juggling enemies, jump cancelling and mixing combos to raise the Style meter has never felt this good. From a professional POV I'd say the Skillcap is much lower than in previous entries but the score system transparency makes up for it. I can work on perfect runs in Hell and Hell Mode because honestly Dante Must Die is too easy for me. It will keep me going even now that i have the Platinum bagged. The platforming also gives you room to breathe and time for your fingers to relax it provides a break from the action and allowes you to marvel at the level design and the animations.
    Ninja Theory have done a remarkable job in reviving the dmc series. They created a character that is more grounded in the real world, a soundtrack that keeps you pumped and motivated, a combat system that makes it easier for newcomers to get into while still giving the pros something to practice and perfect. Go play this game, dont listen to the butthurt fanbois who are stuck in the past for all the wrong reasons. They are just copypasting youtube comments and rating this game a "0" because the main character's hair is not white anymore. Seriously sometimes im ashamed to call myself a gamer seeing how immature and stupid some people here are.

I rate this game a 9/10.
  28. Jan 18, 2013
    What in the world is this. we've come from witty banter with bosses to "**** you!" and writing so bad it makes my sister's fanfics look like masterpieces, from the cool combat with crazy 60fps combos to boring 30fps combat.. and all the critics give it positive reviews. and the *****damn platforming?! why is it even there?! so we're giving games that devolve high scores now?! to my sister who bought me this game. thanks i love you and all but.. im gonna put this **** in the trash where it belongs. Expand
  29. Jan 18, 2013
    it just amazing game with considering that change date appearance but still quite beautiful
  30. Jan 18, 2013
    So is DmC the amazing game the press is trying to make it to be or the terrible, horrible game the fans are saying? Well its neither. Its a decent hack and slash game that fails to live up to the previous games quality. Design: DmC in game design is pretty much the classic hack and slash formula, follow a path, do some platforming, solve some puzzles, defeat a group of enemies, move on, power up using orbs, face bosses. While the game design is very standard, its the character design and overall look of the game that initially caused a lot of controversy and while some may like the new designs, its hard to argue they don't fit the series. Its not just the new Dante design but also the enemy and scenery designs that seem out of place leaving that Gothic looks of the original that fitted so well with the demonic teams to some random copy and paste ideas from other games and movies. Things seem torn between being western and "new", and trying to resemble a DMC game, and it fails on feeling like either. 7/10
    Story: Without a doubt the worst part of the game. Previous DMC games had simple stories that follow a very anime approach to them. Leaving most of the story on the background and focusing more on a strong lead character that stereotyped the cool, confident, strong anime character that does what is right and loves a good challenge. it all worked great to produce amazing looking cutscenes with over the top moments that looked great, were funny and didn't take themselves very serious. The new DmC tries to alternate between serious and imitating the cool moments of the old series but fails miserably in both. Clearly the sense of cool of the witter and his understanding of the anime style of writing is terrible, and the final result were non interesting characters with the worst of all being Dante that comes as a Dick almost all the times with infantile swearing, a prick attitude and some of the worst writing in videogame history. The ending will literally make you trow objects against the screen (don't). 5/10
    Gameplay: This might be the best thing about DmC and it should be what matters as DMC as always been about great fun gameplay right? Unfortunately while the gameplay as its fun moments its still a downgrade from what we got on the previous games. After just a few minutes of playing the fresh sensation will start to disappear as you start remembering DMC 4 and the problems start becoming evident. There is no lock on, and sometimes (a lot) you can't hit the enemy you want, suddenly you realize that directional input is not there and because of it Dante was less than half the quantity of combos he could perform on 4. You then see there is no taunt, that there is no style system and that the angelic and demonic weapons are just the strong and weak/range attacks from Heavenly Sword and they just seem pasted with no balance in the game. After a while you also realize the guns are broken and do almost no damage, that its too easy to get SSS ranks, that enemy AI is a joke and the only challenge comes from enemies that can only be hurt from a specific weapon and that the framerate doesn't even stay steady at 30 fps. The initial feel of quality is a delusion from not playing the old titles for a while as after playing DmC playing DMC 4, 3 or even 1 will feel like they were the sequels and the improved versions, with more depth, precision, fluidity, and challenge. 7/10
    Graphics: This generation you expect that games look good and its not difficult to make them look good. DmC looks good, it as nicely detailed character models (weather you like them or not), it as nice interesting environments, and it can be appealing to look at. But again its when comparing it to previous entries that it falls apart. Putting footage of DMC 4 side by side with DmC its clear that DMC 4 had much sharper graphics, with more fluidity, more detail, and a bigger scale of things. It is a difference that is well masked from all the filters of DmC limbo world, but when things switch up to the real world footage the illusion falls apart and you see that while looking good it doesn't look great. 8/10
    Sound: DmC again misses to understand DMC world and while retaining some metal themes it fails to have that epic gothic orchestra feel the previous games had and DMC had amazing soundtracks. the dubstep is a terrible terrible thing that will at least be saved by the option of turning the music off. 6/10
    Lasting appeal: As all Ninja Theory games it is very short, last around 8 hours on the higher difficulty settings. Almost half what would take to finish DMC 3. While there are things you can only unlock through multiple plays the game is just too easy even in the higher difficulty levels making the weak challenge not worth the effort. Also you can't skip cutscenes meaning you have to listen to the terrible story all over again. DmC is a 6/10 game that gets a 3 due to the mistreating, decieving of fans and corruption of press reviews
  31. Jan 18, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one thing going for it. It perfectly shows how to NOT make a sequel to a beloved franchise. Gameplay in DmC has to be some of the worst I've seen in any action game. Enemies, even on the hardest difficulty take away very little health and have slow and easily dodgeable attacks. Dante himself has a confusing move list. Holding R2 and L2 is annoying when you are in the heat of a combo. The game also lacks lock on, a mechanic every DMC has had. Lock on made it easier for the player to focus on one enemy and be as crazy as possible. Even with games such as Ninja Gaiden, which featured no lock on, it still had soft lock on and let you attack who you wanted too when you wanted too. DmC doesn't have either (or it does and does it poorly), Ebony and Ivory can hit enemies you don't want them too, you can whip enemies you don't want to. Dante also can stay in the air forever making the game a borefest. The gameplay is also broken up constantly by horribly written and acted cutscenes. Expand
  32. Jan 19, 2013
    A friend sent this game to me after telling me bad it was, just to see for myself, and wow just wow, what was capcom thinking allowing Ninja theory to develop this game, they completely ruined the main character and his personality and made him in to some edgy little teenager designed to appeal to a more or less homosexual demographic and people who have not played nor care about the original Devil may cry.

This game was no devil may cry, it may have had the same name but it was so far from the original Dante and gameplay.

I really do hope that if capcom decide to make a real devil may cry, they give it to developers who actually liked the original series, it was very clear Ninja Theory absolutely hated Devil may cry and being the self righteous **** they are decided to say **** YOU to the fans and create the horrible piece of **** known as dmc 5 instead.

Poor narrative, poor gameplay, poor everything.

Video games need to be held to a higher standard, not this piss poor excuse for a game.

DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME

I REPEAT

DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME!!!

And here is hoping for a real DMC in the future!
  33. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about darn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game. Now.
  34. Jan 20, 2013
    This is my second review. First I wrote right after i stop playing so now i wanna share what i think. First of all Dante was a half human and in this game his no longer partly human, the scene when vergil shoots lilith is ofending! And the wig joke is a middle finger to all the fans who love and care for dmc games. The graphics is worst than dmc 4, The colour saturation is bad.. And the good reviews from "proffesional critics" are the biggest mistery to my since the birth of life.. Proffesional critics call me maybe hater or fanboy but im not a hater.. in fact I love the series in this game is simple a mix of ninja gaiden 3 and Heavenly Sword with DMC sticker..and its a bad mix.. I hope that someday we get a proper devil may cry 5.. Its not completely bad game but its VERY bad dmc game. For the first time my dissapoint was so big that its forced me to get a metacritic account and share my sandess and anger.. RIP Dante Expand
  35. Jan 19, 2013
    Stupid game with stupid plot whet medium gameplay and graphics of 2009 and poor characters design that only 9 years old will think it's cool, the whole game just cursing just because the developers think it is cool
    The game is so easy you can finish it on the hardest level only continuing to press the same button, it truly a **** game
  36. Jan 19, 2013
    one of the worst hack n slash games i have played .combat is tooo easy and broken,enemies are brainless walking zombies. the game has been dumbed down dramatically.the platforming sections were fun for the first hour or so then just got repetitive over time.music was not memorable at all. i got this used but now im refunding this garbage. There are way better games to play out there.
  37. Jul 30, 2013
    It seems like NT release a new game every 3 years. If you're a fanboy who dismiss this game just because Dante looks different, then quit being little babies because you're missing out. Instead of letting Capcom slap something cheap for DMC5, which fanboys would've called it the best game ever made, they let NT develop the game so that it can appeal to Western gamers.

A lot of companies
    like to expand their business and while the change may feel like a middle finger to the hardcore fans at first, they should really give this game a chance because it's really good. It runs on 30 FPS but there's no slowdowns and the action is smooth so it does feel like the game is running on 60 FPS. It's free style combat is over-the-top, stylish and just as engaging as the previous DMC games.

It's ok to compare new Dante to old Dante but in the end, you should judge him for who he is and whether or not you like him. Not just say "oh, this isn't the Dante I know and love", it's called a reboot. A lot of these fanboys can't accept new life in their beloved franchise, even though it did something different, but they bash on other franchises for releasing the same thing, not going to name names.

The graphics, art style and level designs is stunning, it's just so good to look at. The game is also backed up by it's awesome rock/electro soundtrack. As soon as you complete the first mission with the "Never Surrender" soundtrack playing in the background that's been used well for the first level, you'll be instantly hooked into the game.

Change is great, even if it's not as good as the old DMC. NT is great when it comes to story, does Heavenly Sword or Enslaved ring any bells? The story is simple but what lies within the story is a complex theme of corporation and capitalism. The whole idea of Dante fighting demons in Limbo feels a bit like Inception, which is awesome. Puzzles are replaced by platforming bits that were well made, although there is a Spider-Man thing going on when Dante swings from one platform to another.

Dante swears a lot in DmC and he's more of a sexual deviant but the new Dante is just as confident and fearless as the old Dante, so DmC and DMC, while DmC is quite different, does have a few aspects in common that does DmC justice to the original series. One being the character and the other being the fast, energetic and intense action.

While hardcore DMC fans might find the lower levels less challenging than DMC, since it pretty much hands out S ranks, it's a great way to introduce new fans or casual gamers who aren't particularly a fan of the franchise or the genre in general and maybe those who find DMC games, especially 3, too hard.

There are a variety of difficulties so for hardcore DMC fans who didn't find DmC challenging, try Heaven and Hell and then try Hell and Hell but you'll have to unlock it first which shouldn't be a complaint since it's really rewarding. After all, you wouldn't want a game that hands out stuff to you.

Heaven and Hell is not as easy as haters say it is but it's certainly not impossible. The idea of having to constantly switch from Angel Mode to Devil Mode gives both weapon types an advantage and disadvantage instead of just upgrading weapons to make them stronger like most games do.

The game is not without it's flaws though. There's no lock on feature which sucks because it would have been useful, especially while I'm fighting a group of demons both aerial and ground enemies. You can pretty much defeat bosses easily by using the same strategy that you use when fighting common demons, though boss battles, especially Bob Barbas, are creative.

Capcom's retarded sale tactics of releasing a couple of skins as DLC are another issue, because one of which is the classic Dante. There's no taunt but that's not really an issue since Dante already has a bad mouth in the cutscenes.

In the end, DmC pulls off an unlikely reboot that feels fresh while holding on to what makes DMC so good. It's probably the third best game in the franchise. If you want to hold on to old Dante, why don't you just play the previous games. Original and 3 are still the best anyways.

The game may be a commercial failure but that's because fans boycott the game, not because it's bad. Call of Duty breaks world record sales on day one, does that mean it's the best gaming franchise ever made? Recommended for those who aren't a fan of DMC. Recommended for hardcore fans as well but a lot of them are still skeptical so it's best that they rent the game or borrow my copy from a friend.
  38. Jan 19, 2013
    The reboot's target market are mainly girls and probably gays. Boys, calm down. If you don't like it, don't play it. The backstory in this reboot is a loot clearer and has a potential to continue. I've played every DMC and I must say DMC2 was the giant mistake. Capcom have been inconsistent on the series up until now, making it a hit or miss situation. They were all about reinvention. They were so unsure about adding Nero into the series, so they decided to keep Dante in the game so the fans will outgrow the Nero situation. They handed it over to Ninja Theory instead of being hesitant, they put someone else to take the blame. Ninja Theory decided to reboot the series, make a clearer backstory even if it's corny(Everybody is. Suck it up, people.)

Konami have already done this. Look at Silent Hill, Without KCET(Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo) & Akira Yamaoka, it will never be Silent Hill again.

Squaresoft/SQUARE-ENX have already done this, too: Final Fantasy, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu & **** Amano(Yes, did you notice the BG Signature logo of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy: Flying Brigade & Final Fantasy: All The Bravest? **** Amano doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.) Final Fantasy will never be awesome.

Graphics? It's never been about the graphics. If you want it to be about the graphics then wait for the Windows PC version, maximize your settings just to calm down your AA OCD.

I gave it a 10. Why? I love Devil May Cry. Giving it a low score is like giving a middle finger to the entire Devil May Cry franchise. If you feel that this franchise is dying, stop being a hypocrite-- I KNOW YOU'LL PLAY THE NEXT ONE then post something negative about it.
  39. Jan 20, 2013
    I want to say I'm a fan of the entire series, been playing Devil May Cry since game 1, and I love this game. The children who cannot get past that this isn't a continuation of the original game series is simply astounding. The number of people who have not played this game, and the few that have that either have no idea what they are talking about or simply are not giving the game its chance in the lime light is staggering to say the least. This. Game. Is. A. Reboot. The original Dante? STILL THERE. Just not in this game. Why are you basing THIS game with a basis on the past games? and further why are you using it negatively for the purpose of "this isnt the original dmc." Its a Known Fact that its not the original series, that this is a reboot of the game series. Why are you using that as fire power when it has NOTHING to do with this game? The only thing the title should be used for in critiqueing is does it match the same style as previous games? Does it bring something fresh to the series? Is the game Fun to play? is the art good? production values? This is how you rate a game, not all these 0's and garbage 10 second reviews that are claiming it gave the game a chance when they clearly didnt let it breathe. As a fan, I want it clearly known, this is not the original Dante, nor Devil May Cry. Its a reboot, and I absolutely love it. I did NOT like that he was a sex crazed teenager who needs to grow up, but I can handle that, as the rest of the game thoroughly entertains me. The art is simply beautiful, and the stage design and scenery have been fantastic. Just like the PS3 Castlevania was a reboot, and all the children went off complaining about that because it wasnt traditional Belmont vs Dracula as they previously knew, I loved it too, because it was a well done game.

If you aren't a little whiny baby, and want to play an excellent game with Devil May Cry thematic idea? Pick this up, cause its worth it.
  40. Jan 19, 2013
    An average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of the experience rather than adding to it. Glitches galore, exploit them at your leisure. I gave it a 5 because the combat can be fun if you're using most of your brain for something else and some of the visuals. Expand
  41. Jan 20, 2013
    - Main char looks like douche
    -Too easy to make SSS rating
    - Many weapons, all (except 3-4) useless
    -Bosses are too ez to beat
    + Stages looks pretty
    Good game for casual , not for fan series of DMC or looking for some challenge
    The King is dead. Long live the merchandise.
  42. Jan 20, 2013
    Well, this isnt Devil May Cry. Its the pathetic trial of the lead Artist to put himself into a game as the baddest of all badasses - and what should say - he fails.

What people dont understand when whining about 0 scores is, that we arent judging the game by itself, we are comparing it to the Dante who was and is one of the view Paragons of manlyness and with him the game falls and stands.
  43. Jan 20, 2013
    Whatever your stance on rebooting the series, DmC is a great game built to respect the core of the original series.

Travel back a few months ago and you
  44. Jan 20, 2013
    Don't list to most of the trolls on here- DmC is a fantastic game. It's right up there with Devil May Cry 1 and 3 - and is arguably better in some regards (the story is more coherent and the writing/voice acting is FAR better). The only complaint I could see people having is that the initially available difficulty modes are a bit easy for the franchise- but hardcore modes open up once you've completed the story once. All in all, great game that is only getting bashed by fanboys who are sour that Dante has a hair cut like a human punk instead of a cartoony anime character Expand
  45. Jan 20, 2013
    Plain horrible. The characters are annoying. The story is full of plotholes. The dialogues are rude, childish and uneducated. This is an insult to you: this game is telling you that you are barely a beat that can only think about sex, booze and swearing. Every one that like this game should really talk with a specialist: if you start your rehabilitation soon, you mave have some chances to became a human with a brain. Expand
  46. Jan 21, 2013
    first of all i really did want to like the game.. i guess. its not really a 0.0 game or a 1.0 heck even a 4.0..
    i did have fun?.. ( whatever i had it did produce a few smirks in my face) in my 8 to 7 hrs in this new DmC game. The combat is great tho i did really miss the lockon.. want to target those annoying flying *****ks while being swarmed by ground enemies with glowing crap all over
    them? well **** you, you cant! - Ninja Theory. but like i said the combat was fun and i did get a kick out of the combo systyem when i got all of dante's weapons. The platforming is also fun. loved the backgrounds and the art style of the whole game i just really really hate how dante is portrayed in this.. I miss the happy go lucky, thinks-everything-is-a-party dante.. he's currently replaced by this go-****-yourserlf-while-i-****-some-random-girls dante with snarky attitude and a weak excuse for a devil may cry leading woman kat. . jesus christ.. wtf did they do to vergil.. the ending is asenine. *SPOILERS* Vergil is defeated and he says "i loved you brother"... after attempting to kill dante.. his brother.. WTF?! *END SPOILERS* and this.. this is team ninja's attempt at a Shakespearean writing and story telling?! please do not listen to the morons telling you the story is good. its not even bad its **** thats what it is. all in all this was a good game tied to an immature ****s of a dev team that couldnt handle an iconic game character and ended up with changing him drastically to appeal to the hip young, swearing, casual sex loving teenagers of today. seriously i was going to score this a 6 but after all the **** team ninja said and done to me beloved series.. specifically the "wig" scene.. i would like to mail them a severed *fake* middle finger. i wont do this but im seriously
    pondering it.
  47. Jan 21, 2013
    Uncharismatic characters weak and poorly told story without innovation the previous universe of Devil May Cry was much better especially Dante that this reboot is a complete **** compared to the original Dante.
  48. Jan 24, 2013
    I didn't liked the game at all. They shouldn't name it Devil May Cry. Maybe if they called it heavenly sword 2 or something else I wouldn't judge so strictly but in this case they spoiled a great franchise's name trying to take its place.
  49. Jan 21, 2013
    This game is a great entry in the series. I am a veteran of the DMC series and DmC does not disappoint. If you haven't tried this game for yourself, give it a shot and don't let the negative reviews spook you. Most hate directed towards this game is from Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise, not the game itself. It has all of the modes, replayability and difficulty (on higher levels) of the previous games. I loved the art style and the way the story was presented as well. It's worth playing. Get to it' Expand
  50. Jan 21, 2013
    This game was terrible. The combat was over simplified and the weapons were uncreative. You could go through the game by just using the axe. And the dialog is just atrocious. Ninja Theory thinks they can just go through the game dropping F-bombs to the point where it loses all meaning. This new Dante tries way too hard to be cool in a game that tries to hard to be serious. This was just a bad, unnecessary reboot. Expand
  51. Jan 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WAH WAH BLACK HAIR!

Oh wait, that's not the reason every good fan of the series hates this game. It's because the combat has been needlessly simplified to the point where enemies on every difficulty mode can be easily disposed of. Other reviewers are praising the combat for being good and frantic but this simply isn't the case. While the gameplay isn't terrible it certainly doesn't reach the standard that Devil May Cry fans or even action game fans have been looking for. Any variety that was in the previous games has almost been completely erased as some enemies require you to use a certain weapon/attack to defeat them. While in previous games some weapons were more effective but all players could use whatever weapons they wanted to dispose of an enemy. The speed of combat has also been greatly decreased and getting "Style Bonuses"(points awarded for looking stylish, not dying, not getting hit etc) has never been easier.

Another thing that makes any Devil May Cry fan become alienated from this game is the plot line. Once again the plot line isn't much of a deal breaker in action games but this game tries to FOCUS on the plot at all times. And it doesn't help that the plot may actually annoy some people and show things that you would never think possible in a Devil May Cry game. A few scenes immediately spring to mind that made this game even worse for me. Such as Virgil stating his penis is larger than Dante's, sex for no real reason other than to put sex in the game and of course the worst of them all; Virgil shooting a pregnant woman, a demon woman to be fair but still completely shocking, and killing her only to have Dante make an **** remark later on in the game about it.

The game however does have its good points. The graphics, moving cities and effects are all fantastic. Ninja Theory's environment artists really deserve praise for that. Even the music managed to at least capture the flare that the original series went for. But overall, nice graphics and music aren't going to make me think this is a good game when the gameplay and plot are so abysmal.

Despite my feelings towards this game I would recommend it to someone who is looking to start the action/hack and slash genre and wants a simple and easy experience. It's just good to keep in mind that most of an entire fanbase has been completely shafted because of this reboot. And there isn't much we can do about it. Luckily the "true" action games are still being released so fans of the originals still have something to look forward to. So please don't think that every devil may cry fan hates this game because of the black hair or just because it's a reboot. Thank you for taking your time to read this review from a fan of the original series.

A 3/10 seems appropriate for people who love action games and/or who loved the original Devil May Cry series. Inexperienced gamers may have a better time but should note that there are far superior games.
  52. Jan 22, 2013
    When a game is rebooted, it means that the previous games had a lame plot, or for making new fans. I think previous Devil May Cry games were actually awesome games. I didn't understand the reason of this reboot, but it's done already, so let's face it: the old storyline is over (for now!!).
    I will analyze some points of the game:
    Gameplay: Always engaging, the only flaw is the easiness
    of making high rank, but it's compensated by the various difficulty of the game.
    Sound: the idea to mix old rock-metal songs with some dubstep tracks isn't so bad at all. I found them exciting at some point.
    Video: some bad textures and some bad shadows doesn't ruin a game, but they are however flaws.
    Story: that's the most important thing of all the game: how to make a better story if the old story is awesome? Ninja Theory transposed the character of DMC saga in a new, more politically focused story, trying to use some plot device modern, using things like debts, mass media to explain while the demon are ruining the city.
    When I first play this game, I noticed a detail: the new-Dante is like a younger Dante than the DMC3 Dante, more insecure, but always a **** demon slayer. The separation between world and limbo (another dimension parallel to the world where there are demons) is a cool idea,but I always liked the idea of demons among us.
    Eventually I have a advice for all of you: if you never play old DMCs, but you like the hack/slash game, then buy/rent this game (the story is short, but there are a lot of things to do ingame, and 7 difficulties, changing the mobs you will find and the skill sets of this mobs) and play it; if you are a fan of the old DMC, grab this game, because the atmosphere overall will satisfy you, the thing of making like a parallel story (marvel/ultimate marvel style) isn't bad at all, and play it till the end, there is a surpise ;)
  53. Yes
    Jan 22, 2013
    This game got a zero because "Dante" has black hair. I'm a TRUE fan of DMC, and this game is what I call a disgrace. I don't care about the gameplay because all I care about is the change in his hair color, which makes this the worst game ever.
  54. Jan 22, 2013
    As an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. I liked the character and felt it was a great reboot of the franchise. A younger Dante will attract younger games as many people like myself who were teenagers when the first game came out are now in our late twenties and sadly are no longer the target market for the franchise. I do think it is extremely interesting the difference between used scores and critic scores. I am sure if this game had been the very first game of the franchise it would have been loved but fans hate it when their favourite characters are messed with. Personally i think those of the younger generation will love this game alot more than those of us who have grown up with the white haired dante for many years. I did not like the mention of the word nephilim and am sure it was even misspelled. A nephilim is actually a child of an angel and a human not a demon and a human so that was actually wrong. I would have given this game a 9 out of 10 but as i can see it only has a 4 in 558 rating which is totally wrong i am inclined to give it a 10. I must say that the people marking this game down really need to relax and enjoy a good attempt to reboot an amazing franchise. Expand
  55. Jan 22, 2013
    Yes I'm a DMC fan and I've played all DMC games up to now. I have to admit the first two were okay (though DMC2 was pretty bad), the 4th was so-so but the 3rd rocked solid! This new reboot takes the good additions from DMC4 and brings back good ol' Dante. Yes he's looking different, but the character feels alot more alive that the first ones. Gameplay is really nice on top of that! The only point I dislike a little is that you have 2 dodge buttons and no lock-on button.. Nevertheless, this game is very worth playing!! Expand
  56. Jan 22, 2013
    DmC is a truly garbage game. I played a bit of it and I can tell you that the most atrocious part of it is the stupid L2 and R2 weapon changing system. You basically have to hold a trigger constantly to use a weapon that is either ineffective or too overpowered (you get SSS in the tip of a hat) and you always have to do this stupid grappling **** that such a goddamn chore to do every time. Not to mention glitches everywhere, and uninspired art for its stages and unlikable protagonist. It's rubbish. Don't bother with this game. Expand
  57. Jan 23, 2013
    Ok, before you accuse me of hating this game just because of Dante's hair, there are a LOT more reasons as to why this game is an awful Devil May Cry game. Follow the link to see for yourself: http://pastebin.com/y3PKiumh
  58. Jan 22, 2013
    I had been skeptical of this reboot but still got the game to give it a chance. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed Ninja Theory's effort. Basically the game is casualized, westernized and updated to appeal to to the new generation of gamers who are afraid of a challenging and Japanese game. The gameplay has been really simplified so that anyone can pull of combos but this means that the combos do not require skill and therefore are not satisfying or worth bragging. The enemy AI has been dumbed down severely so that they stand idly for 10s of second and telegraph their attacks 2 to 3 seconds earlier. Weapons are imbalanced; some too weak while others too powerful. Many weapons and moves are never needed throughout the game and a player has no reason to invest time in them. Style ranking system is broken and can be exploited easily to reach SSS ranking within 3 attacks. The story starts nice and makes the player think that it will turn out to be something great but develops into nothing and abruptly ends. We get only a 10 second ending to a 7 hour game with a lot of plot-holes and unresolved issues remaining. Character are not endearing in any way especially Dante with his horrible attitude. There is a lot of platforming in this game and you may like it if it is your thing but I think it does not belongs in a technical hack and slash game series like DMC. The music is subjective and may or may not appeal to a player depending upon his taste. Finally the game is only 7 hours long and has little replay value with only Dante's white hair to unlock. I think this game is a big step down from the previous games which were highly technical, challenging and balanced in this their gameplay. However, new gamers who never played the previous game and those who are afraid of challenge will like this game. I think it is an average game at best and nothing special. It basically a game to make you feel good about your supposed "MAD SKILLZ" without possessing any. them. Expand
  59. Jan 22, 2013
    whilst not the most original game to come out in a long time, DMC is nothing more or less than what it appears... a glitzy, fun action game. Oh and Dante got really hot with this makeover...
  60. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is simply terrible. I am not a fanboy of the previous DMC titles - this was recommended to me by a friend. All I can say is that it actually *was* fun for about an hour, then it get's so repetitive that you need to take a break every now and then in order to not stop playing it all together. The graphics are poor, the voice acting is poor (and irritating) the gameplay is clunky, the weapons are dull, the enemies are nothing special - in fact, what struck me most about this was that when I was fighting some, I desperately wanted the fighting to end because it was so dull, and when 'platforming' (read this sarcastically, it's a dreadful platforming experience) you wish you had something better to do. All in all, I spent a whole 3 hours of my time playing this and got over half way through it on Hard difficulty, meaning this game has no longevity. Sadly, the shop I bought it from would not even buy it back off me, let alone allow me to return it or exchange it. That being said, I'm still never going to complete this game. To put it in perspective - this game is better than MoH Warfighter. And that really sucked. Badly. If you buy this, you are a fool. Go buy GoW, Dante's Inferno or Bayonetta instead, or give your money to a homeless person, at least that way you won't feel robbed. Expand
  61. Jan 23, 2013
    First, let me present my relevant history. I am a fan of the original Devil May Cry series, having bought and played the first one on the PS2, and have every installment to date. I am also a fan of Ninja Theory's previous titles having played and enjoyed 'Heavenly Sword' and 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West'. For my part I thoroughly enjoyed DmC, it is admittedly easier than its original predecessor but then so are most modern games, the combat remains intuitive, creative and entertaining. I found the story to be an improvement on previous titles, even if the ending was unfortunately something of a damp squib. Its use of modern circumstances are an interesting new take on demonic intervention in the affairs of man and it was more involved than 'random island, demon king trying to initiate the apocalypse (take my word for it), do much killing there please'; though I still enjoy the latter form of story. Also, I prefer the environments which are far broader and greater in variation, ranging from seaside piers to a modern office complex. Furthermore, the voice acting (asides from one notable instance) is greatly improved, contributing to the experience as does the effective use of motion capture technology. An initial run through will probably take around 7 and a half hours, however there are various secret missions to unlock within the game and I found myself compelled to play it over and over so as to unlock the various difficulty settings. In regard to what appears the single most divisive issue, the new Dante, I actually didn't mind him. I enjoyed his flippant, dead-pan one-liners and believed this version demonstrated stronger emotional connections with other characters than previous incarnations. In summary I enjoyed all aspects of this game and believe it to be more than worthy of the Devil May Cry series, even if it is noticeably easier than its original incarnation of 2001. I gladly recommend it to anyone with a general interest in the hack'n'slash genre and earnestly hope that a sequel is planned by Ninja Theory and Capcom, which, in my opinion, have proven themselves a formidable duo. Expand
  62. Feb 14, 2013
    A gigantic middle finger to all fans of the real DMC games. It seems Ninja Theory realised all the points fans liked about the games and turned every single one into god awful crap just to show us they could. It's like Mass Effect 3 endings. Well played good sirs, you're not getting a cent out of me ever again.
  63. Jan 23, 2013
    Thank you Ninja Theory for building a new foundation for DmC and it's characters to grow. Not only did you bring back the characters we loved but made them deep and gave them growth throughout the story. After beating this game I can only imagine what Ninja Theory could bring for the next DmC games. Please, keep it up. Don't be mislead by the angry user reviews (I honestly don't know what they are crying about) and play. this. game. DMC fan or not, it's a blast. Expand
  64. Jan 23, 2013
    I'm trying to even up the scores a bit here cause this game doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I can promise you that if this game had a different name it would have so much more praise. The game is fun but people just don't like change they want the characters to stay the same and the game play to not evolve. I don't like the new Dante as much as the old one but that doesn't mean the game is automatically bad. Try it out and stop acting like **** who want everything their own way, not even caring about how much time and effort Ninja Theory put into the game to create their own take on the DmC universe. Expand
  65. Jan 24, 2013
    This game is nothing but a bad experience. Good- Nothing Bad- -It's a game that tried to be devil may cry but could not -Dumbed down combat for casual gamers -Change of artstyle from japanese to western, one useless change, the fanbase liked the japanese artstyle -Now a stain on the name of devil may cry that will never be erased, thank you Capcom. -Pandering to the wrong people, you don't pander to the fanbase you already own with **** you!" or killing a baby.
    -Soundtrack is meh
    -Nothing new
    -------------------------
    Capcom does it again killing another game, like Megaman.

Oh capcom, there's literally no hope for you, might aswell... "abandon all hope".
  66. Jan 24, 2013
    Capcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game the credit it deserves and play the game on Son of Sparda, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell and Dante Must Die before you pitch the OBVIOUS lie that you can "smash triangle over and over and get a SSS". Frankly, most the fans are just crybabies that expected something revolutionary from a title that never was revolutionary to begin with. Get over yourself and enjoy the game for what it is or don't buy the game at full price if you're iffy about it in the first place. You all had the option to wait until the price came down but chose full price, first day release just to **** about something that was expected in the first place. Expand
  67. Jan 24, 2013
    I dont usually write on reviews. But I can't take this too much hate for DMC. This game is GREAT! It's a REBOOT for God's sake! Stop being FANBOYS be open for change :) . If you dont play this. You will miss half of your life! ;)
  68. Jan 25, 2013
    Fanboys need to cease an desist, because I can't take this drama any longer. This is a great game. It's very artistic, beautiful, and it's super fun. Please let's not judge a game because of the past. It's about the GAME.
  69. Jan 25, 2013
    Imagine if you will taking a game that near defined a genre, then dumbing it down and robbing it of any self awareness and humour in favour of crass adolescent **** and simplistic, uninspired gameplay.

Quite why they choose to make this game Devil May Cry flavoured is beyond me. If they actually made a DMC game with the sort of budget this game got it could well be the best of the
    series, but apparently Capcom hates money.

0/10, do not buy this game if you're a fan.
  70. Jan 25, 2013
    I been a DMC fan since the first game and this version of DMC was good and interesting about changing the half demon to nephilim. But the only thing that I thought that it was to easy were to fight the bosses including fighting Mundus and Vergil. I think that it should be more difficult than fighting than the previous ones. The music was great , good graphics , interesting stories( a little confused with the previous ones but interesting the point of view) , but the combos were a little easy. And Vergil looks like an idiot with that hat . Expand
  71. Jan 25, 2013
    I was very septical when I've heard about the new DMC. First of all, I've enjoyed all previous Devil May Cry (1 to 4). The new DMC is clearly different, but is definitely a masterpiece. I had the opportunity to play the PC version that had a great framerate. I've heard that the console versions had few problems. The story, the gameplay machanics and the graphics are simply amazing. It has slightly less combos than the previous ones and the game difficulty might be too easy when not playing on hard, but I think it's great that way. Veterans can play on Hard... And harder and still have some challenges. The musics are even better than the previous games. I'm giving a 9 out of 10. Expand
  72. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't listen too all the negative reviews because this it not as bad as it is claimed to be. Being a big fan of the 1st and 3rd game, I gotta say that this game is pretty damn good and it has a lot of qualities that make it sometimes better than the main series. My play through of the game was on hard and this will be more of a comparative review to the other games.

GAMEPLAY is good,
    smooth, solid and the whole 30fps thing doesn't make any difference when playing, it doesn't chug or look terrible in any sense. There is not a lock on mode this time around which may sound like a bad choice but the auto lock is done very well, I had no problems whatsoever targeting those I want to hit even when they are way in the back of a horde of monsters. Devil Trigger isn't that great this time around, before using the DT would enhance your abilities and holding the DT button before activating can give way to some strategic energy blasts for clearing clusters of enemies. Now the DT just blasts the enemies in the air for you go combo crazy for short amount of time and just, for me, serves as nothing more as a 'get off me' button. This game takes some elements from the 4th game where you can grapple enemies to either bring them to you or you to them but thankfully doesn't make it piss easy as Nero makes it in the 4th game with his OP instakills arm abilities. The ranking system is much more forgiving in this one but at the same time isn't as rewarding either which kind of makes it pointless this time around.

WEAPONS are a bit lackluster when compared to the 3rd game as this one only has 3 guns and 5 weapons; 2 Angelic which are quick and good for groups but deal less damage and 2 Demonic which are slow but good for single targets and deal a lot of damage. You don't have to worry about which ones you want to bring each mission as you will always have them on you. Rebellion in default, holding R2 will bring out Demonic weapons and L2 for Angelic weapons which makes having which one you want out a breeze.

LEVEL DESIGN is absolutely awesome this time around, much, MUCH better than the previous games. The designs are beautiful and varied unlike the string lined, claustrophobic and generally dull feel of the originals. There is a little bit more emphasis on exploring the levels as the lost souls, keys, and secret rooms are hidden throughout the levels and sometimes inaccessible until you get later weapons to add a little to the game for the next play though. The mostly takes place in LIMBO where the real world gets ripped up and twisted which give the developers freedom to do just about whatever they can think of making for some awesome experiences.

CHARACTERS and STORY is better overall this time around with the demons in control of everything from behind the scenes through the media and whatnot unlike before where the story boils down to "They are opening the gate to the demon world, we have to stop them!". I thought I was going to hate this version of Dante but they have come through and did a pretty good job. He reminds me a little more of Nero than previous Dante, like Nero being more serious but will occasionally joke and insult here and there. Vergil on the other hand is a bit jarring, basically take Vergil from 3 and turn his character around, I did not like this version at all but is a decent character at best on his own merits.

ENEMIES and BOSSES are pretty good here as well and I overall prefer this roster of enemies more than the previous games, starting off a little too easy but later on offering up quite a challenge without being annoying or feeling cheap and dirty. The bosses in this game, though not very difficult, they felt fresh and were not as annoying, frustrating, or boring like a lot of the other bosses in the previous games. While I still prefer the bosses in 3 I do like the overall designs of DmC's bosses way more than games 1, 2, and 4.

MUSIC surprised me here, I thought it was going to suck. I thought it was going to be the most annoying, stupid euro pop crap I was gonna ever hear based on the old trailers but to my surprise they kept it very similar to the 3rd games style. No complaint here but I do wish they would have had some of those angelic themes and piano themes from the 3rd game but that is just me.

OVERALL I think Ninja Theory did a fantastic job here and in a lot of ways improving what the previous team(s) kept failing to improve. Better than 3? I don't know I am still trying to figure that out but I do like it way more the 1, 2(lol) and 4. Give it a shot.
  73. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is just... so... BORING. The game just feels flat. The environments are stylized and interesting but everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Not only are there large sections of platforming - which seemed to be more well-developed than the combat - but the controls aren't as fluid and satisfying as the previous games, even the first. The camera in the platforming sections performs well but in combat it really sucks. Often times I'll be trying to attack an enemy behind me and I'll have no idea where they are, I'm just shooting hoping in vain that Dante will direct me towards where they're at. On top of that, they made the grab gimmick from Nero even more central to the game, which I hated there. This game should have been marketed as a platformer because that's probably the best part about it. As an action game, especially with the DMC name (the one that set the standard to how action hack and slash are made today) it can't even compare to God of War, let alone the other Devil May Cry titles.

The story: Well, it has one which is more than what can be said about the other games. However, the characters in this game are so unlikable, so bland, that it's hard to be invested. The characters' motivation turns out to be really just simple revenge as the demons haven't proven to be a threat to mankind, they're just hiding among them. The shoehorned love interest when they tried so hard to establish that Dante is a player who can have wild threesomes with whatever girls he pleases, it makes no sense why he'd have any attachment to a girl who has no personality aside from being damaged goods.

Also, Dante's sudden 'nobility' to the cause is completely unbelievable as his attitude never changes - Dante gets powers but has no character arc, he just learns about his past. I say 'nobility' because he barely bats an eyelash as his brother blows the womb of woman, pauses to relish the moment, and then shoots her in the head.

For some final points: I don't think character design needs to be brought up, it's what everyone has said a hundred times: it's bad. Though the motion capturing was really well done. I can't help but cringe everytime I look at the main menu/every single mission screen with Dante pointing at his dick... nice Ninja. Oh, and thanks for that slap in the face with the white wig. Oh let me bring up how enemies work. You have to hit the red guys with the red weapons and the blue guys with the blue weapons! Really breaking the meta with this game, let me tell you. Overall, this game is a huge disappointment. The combat, style meter, weapons, heroes, engaging characters, interesting enemies (aside from the news caster), bosses, controls, camera, difficulty, atmosphere, are ll sub-par. The only thing this game excels at are level design, motion capturing, and platforming.
  74. Jan 27, 2013
    -Frame rate (30 fps) with bugs, in ps3.
    -Vergil using a rifle. ¬¬
    -When you gonna dodge a boss atack that is in front ou you, turn around and role. You don't have how to counter a attack like you done with royal guard or the devil bring in some attacks. -Dante is a teenager.
    -The limbo city looks like a corridor. -Ebony and Ivory are useless.
    -No lock target system, makes you
    look a retard playing.
    -Vergil voice lokes like some disney character, not that awsone badass voice of DMC3.
    -No table hooper.
    -Mundus don't scare anyone.
    -You don't have taunts. DMC 4 taunts are outstanding. Why not put in this one?
    -Combos are extremely easy, you don't motivates yourself to "learn" combos like in the orders DMC.
    -Weapons change in the middle os combat is mandatory.
    -Devil Trigger is horrible, you don't transform yourself into a badass demon from hell, with dark energy and incredible speed. You a slow time. ¬¬
    -You got a hell whip to push enemies and a angel whip to pull yourself. WTF!

If you think that I hating the game with no criterion, simple enter on you tube and search for: DMC 4 nero dango truestyle tournament
    DMC 4 nero blaze truestyle tournament

Then, you gonna now how a rellay badass game with a badass player looks like.

If this think not use Devil May Cry name, my score will be 6 or 7. But when you makes a game much worst that the 2 previous one, you have my total disregard. (sorry if I makes some writing mistakes, I still learning english)
  75. Jan 28, 2013
    bad gameplay, (L2 and R2 for the weapon like L1 and R1 for the catastrophic heavenly sword) bad story, bad design, too easy, too classic, too bored too disinfect, This is not a devil may cry
  76. Jan 28, 2013
    Highly enjoyable. Despite a few audio glitches, this game succeeded in surpassing its predecessors nicely. Great story, voice acting and themes. Ending was a little predictable.
  77. Jan 28, 2013
    Lets start with the David Hume Quote in the trailer. Hume was an Atheist. His quote has NOTHING to do with Religion/Demons/Angels/etc. -face palm- That should tell you where this game is headed...So!
    LOOSE gameplay. DECENT Graphics. Terrible (ironic/hipster storyline). Its about "Evil" corporations (made by Capcom and Hipster-Theory).
    The director is a racist prick from Bollywood (Yes
    YOU Tameem)
    Angry Joe and the rest of the Guy with the Glasses Crew are morons. They're cashing in and trying to fit in with the big dogs (IGN, Gamespot, etc).
    It's funny because after Angry Joe made his review, random people have made accounts on here making "good" 10/10 reviews.
    Most of them appear to be COD-Tards, etc.
    Anyways. To the point.
    The New Dante is Terrible. Its as if Tameem imagined himself as a white emo-kid addicted to meth (like something out of Blood on the Dance Floor).
    Again, I can't stand racist pricks from other countries (in this case he's so HATEFUL and racist that he out right not only insulted the Fans but WESTERN culture in general. Keep in mind that I AM from the Middle East and I AM VERY Familiar with Bollywood. The new DMC is like if Bollywood tried to make a Matrix movie. LOL). Anyhow. Gameplay. Is decent. Worse than Odyssey to the West (saying alot).
    Frame-rate is terrible (Angry Joe is either blind or he has a better television than most folks).
    Controls are VERY loose. Voice Acting is AWFUL (other than Virgil. Virgil looked like a Hipster but was an OKAY character, as was Mundus). Character development is terrible.

Buy this game when its 9.99.
    Thats what I did with Ninja's last game (Odyssey) And I HATED Heavenly Sword.
    I wish that SONY had never bailed out Ninja Theory. They should've left those hipsters in the economic trash-bin that they deserved to be in. They made TERRIBLE movie games before all of this (LOOK UP THEIR STUDIO HISTORY, they MADE Catwoman the game , and that TERRIBLE game , Malice).

Seriously. I'm not an angry fan-boy. I'm just an educated gentleman who is familiar with Tameem's elitist mindset. He is the villain of the DMC story, which is ironic, but oh yes, he's also a hipster, so its SUPPOOOOSSSED to be Ironic.
  78. Jan 29, 2013
    Gosh, so much negative press! You'd think "hardcore gamers", or in deed men at all, wouldn't get so worked up over a hairstyle!

Anyway, I really liked this game. Better story than 1, much more diverse than 4 but not as unforgiving as 3, it really hits the sweet spot when it comes to stylish sword and gunplay.

A really good first effort, but having said that the next one needs to be a
    tad more challenging Expand
  79. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  80. Feb 2, 2013
    This is my first review here and i just registered to defend this game!
    All those haters voting it with a 0,i mean u have to be very immature to rate any game with a 0 and this game doesnt deserve any rating under 7! U may not like the new Dante,or the new style,but even if u dont like how it looks,this game is still fun to play!
    Ninja Theory did an awesome job with the reboot and
    brought us one of the best games in the genre. DmC is one of the best games i ever played and yes,i was a huge fan of the "old" DMC too.
    Get ur head out of ur a** and give it a chance,u wont regret it.
  81. Feb 3, 2013
    If you want to play an old DmC, go ahead and get the HD collection and stop whining, if you're up for a wonderful new game the get this game, it's amazing how many people want the same old over and over. Ninja Theory has created some of the most stunning graphical games ever, like Heavenly sword or Enslaved, which are incredible, the combat is not frustratingly complex, its a bit more casual, the scenarios are amazing and the overall presentation of the game is great. To be honest, I was a great DmC fan, I finished all three first of them, but the fourth one, even tho it was amazingly well done, it was boring to the point that I just stopped playing it near the end, this one has a fresh story, characters and background, it makes you feel like its an evolution of the game rather than just another chapter. Expand
  82. Apr 15, 2013
    I am a big fan of the devil may cry series on the PlayStation 2 and I do not care that the new Dante does not act like old Dante. Does anyone realize this is a reboot and not part of the original series! The story this time around is basically a retread of the first Devil May Cry, but instead of an island and a castle this time it is a city. The story actually makes you care about Dante and his brother Virgil, as it becomes a more of a personal tale. The gameplay might be easier, but that does not mean it is not fun. With the multiple weapons and combos there are limitless option for dealing damage to your enemies. The SSS ranking has become really easy to get, but bump the difficultly up and then try to achieve it. There are not enough boss fights in my opinion, but one stands out. I will not spoil it, but it's about half way through the game and is probably the most unique battle in the game. The graphics are not really impressive but are cool in their own right. The soundtrack is not my type of music but if your into heavy rock/metal you will enjoy it. This new Devil May Cry is just plain and simply "cool" and it makes you want to come back and chase the leader boards for a higher score. Expand
  83. Feb 5, 2013
    DmC is like any reboot. It is only going to please the people who thought that the saga of games in question were getting: boring, dull and uninteresting. So Ninja Theory took the DMC franchise and added: Excellent voice acting, good animations, new added weapons and a well thought out story. at the expense of: FPS and a Little more basic combat style. Those who judge the game ENTIRELY on the fact that Dante has black hair and the western setting should be more open minded in my opinion.

I had a lot of fun with the game and I am a fan of the older ones and with the new Heaven and Hell and Hell or Hell difficulty modes it doesn't get too easy and it also adds quite a bit of replay value so you do get your money's worth. With the addition of the new 'Angel' and 'Demon' modes, the combat in the game it a lot more intuitive and flows more however later in the game some weapons start to become less useful and you end up not using them at all. The story and voice acting are top notch however be prepared for a little drama in the story. One of the biggest improvements however are the environments and boss battles. There are 20 missions in total and it took me about 7 9 hours to complete on my first playthrough. you spend almost all of the game in 'Limbo' a crazy and beautifully made environment with a nice color scheme and there is also a unique way the environment moves; the ground will break apart and the walls will crush together creating floating platforms where you can use your Angel and Demon abilities to grapple and pull yourself from place to place, this unique platforming mechanic does however get repetitive and sometimes kind of frustrating. The other thing that this game has done well are the boss battles. These are a joy to play, each one is unique and some are even original. the boss battles are designed perfectly however if they become to challenging, just restart the mission on a lower difficulty. e.g. My first playthrough was on Nephilum mode and at a certain boss i found it slightly difficult so i simply restarted the one mission on Devil Hunter mode and later I came back and finished it on Nephilum mode. I recommend buying the game on PC if you have all 3 platforms as on the PS3 and XBOX360 there is some texture pop-in in the cutscenes and, on PC it runs at 60 fps whereas on consoles it runs a a lower 30 fps. unless you look very closely at both side by side can you see a difference between PC and console. However if you only have a console then the game still looks great. DmC: Devil May Cry has: great story, great voice acting improved combat, fun and challenging bosses, great graphics, good music to accompany it all and well made, well textured, well colored, unique environments to experience it all in. It is defiantly worth buying at full price for newcomers and old school fans alike. (after you finish the game the first time, you unlock a white haired Dante costume/skin anyways so that should please some of the fans of the old DMC games).
  84. Feb 5, 2013
    The gameplay for DmC is amazing. It’s much easier now to keep a combo going and seeing as your ranking doesn’t keep on dropping (once you haven’t hit an enemy in a while but are still in combat) its not a bad thing, but obtaining those “SSS” rankings at the end of a mission still gives you a great sense of achievement and just further proves how awesome you are at this game. Enemies in the game do vary and honestly make you want to switch between every single weapon (in the majority of fights) to keep building your combo and just improve your overall skills in the game. Platforming is a major factor in DmC, and seeing as you have angel and demon powers, you do actually feel more like a powerful demon rather than in every previous Devil May Cry game. I love gilding through the air and on to platforms and avoiding enemies moves using the angel evade. The devil powers just make you feel like a powerful badass and you can easily destroy most enemies in the game just by using your devil powers (bar the ones that require angel abilities to be killed). Your primary weapons are Rebellion and Ivory (granted Ebony Ivory are the weakest weapons in the game and are pretty much useless). I rarely found myself using the primary weapons at any point after the second mission. DmC actually has a story that you can follow and its a pretty decent story for a hack slash game. I’m not going to spoil anything, but if you’ve played any Devil May Cry game before then the same old stands that Vergil is the main villain in the game and more or less always will be. That’s probably the one thing that “true Devil May Cry fans” will approve of. Its also a perfectly paced game and it never gives you one dull moment, you just power up through the first few levels, enjoy great platforming sections, good boss battles and then have some good cutscenes in between.

I honestly wasn’t looking forward to this game seeing how much of a disappointment Devil May Cry 4 was, but I ended up loving it and so far I have replayed it 6 times and have 1000G’d it and even though the levels eventually become the same old same old, I always had to go back and gather all the collectables and then completing the hardest difficulty in the game which is “Hell and Hell” mode. There are also 21 secret mission to be completed, some of them are challenging but honestly they just give you more value to the overall experience and replay value that you will get out of DmC. Needless to say, I can’t wait for Ninja Theory’s next instalment in this DmC reboot.
  85. Feb 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:Gameplay is fun and enjoyable, new characters Kat and Phineas are interesting, and (Personally) I thought the soundtrack was amazing. Cons:Does not live up to it's promise of a great storyline and gameplay while fun, does feel like a step-down from the Style System from DMC3 and 4, games feels to easy and quite frankly I felt some missions were so short. The only reason they were counted as separate missions. Was to try to make the game seem longer. Also the new Dante is just plain boring, compared his classic counterpart. Largely due to the fact he lacks the original's witty humor and flamboyant personality. Overall a fun game, but a bad Devil May Cry Expand
  86. Feb 8, 2013
    It is such a shame that this game has not been judged in it's own right. What is even more of a shame is that bitter fans are trying to trick newcomers into avoiding the game by giving it ridiculously low scores.

The game is not without fault- I agree that the combat is certainly more simplified than previous iterations and the lack of target lock-on can frustrate, but neither of
    these elements are anywhere near as detrimental to the experience as angry fans would have you believe.

Dante's arsenal is varied enough to allow finesse, without feeling overwhelming. The angel weapons feel slick and fluid while their demonic counterparts are weighty and impactful The platforming elements are for the most part intuitive and smooth, while allowing for a more leisurely viewing of the game's incredibly creative environments, without bringing the pace to a grinding halt.

The characters are well rounded and engaging and the acting is great. The playful and often humorous approach to the world does not detract from the more serious moments of the game, and Ninja Theory have managed to make a story involving nephilims and limbo feel relatable and current.
  87. Feb 8, 2013
    Jarring, amateurish, ill conceived rendition of an iconic franchise with shallow unbalanced and broken combat, insulting art style/design, weak dialogue, story and voice acting.

A truly terrible game with the Devil May Cry name added on to it. A shocking example of how not to handle Devil May Cry.
  88. Mar 9, 2013
    A good hack and slash game that is in my opinion, better than Dmc4. The combat and story is great, and even though Dante isn't as cool as he was before, this version of him is much more human. Although, they did antagonise old Devil May Cry fans in the beginning, which is frankly quite a bad creative decision.
  89. Feb 12, 2013
    I wasn't too sure who to believe at first, the actual game review sites or the yuppies who cant appreciate a new take on a modern classic. I've played all the DMC games and I feel like Dante hasn't changed at all other than a few extra swears and a new adolescent attitude. And please people get over the cosmetics and give Ninja Theory some credit for taking on such a task in rebooting a franchise with such fan loyalty and doing a great job modernizing and relating the game to some popular current issues Devil May Cry. As for the game itself, great combat and environments. It is very much like the old Devil May Cry games with rounded edges instead of square, if you know what i mean. If you haven't noticed all games today have taken the route of being more "accessible" or easier for new gamers; and how I remedy that is just up the difficulty and if you still don't like it quit playing and buy the Devil May Cry collection and play the old ones. Great game by a great developer, best thing Capcom has done for itself in quite awhile. Congrats to Ninja Theory and cant wait to see the next DmC game. Expand
  90. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. lol writing this as i'm listening to Combichrist xD Great music.

Okay, so i hear alot of hate about this game, why? DmC is a great game, and if you ask me, better than the previous ones. You see, this game focuses alot on more hack and slash than constant puzzles which in my opinion slowed down gameplay. Levels are also more linear so you don't have to worry about getting lost. Now Dante has changed alot, and he is in my opinion, pretty badass. Yes he swears, but this game also takes place in a more modern time, so deal with it. His hair is rather boring, but after i completed it once, i replayed it on Son of Sparda (which is a kick-ass mode btw) with the white hair (that is slightly longer than the black hair). Many fans claim this game is easy, well then play Son of Sparda you idiots. Level design is amazing, better than anything i have seen before. "HURR 30 FPS" Shut the hell up, it doesn't have any effect on the game itself. Fighting is faster than ever, and with unique and epic enemies that require different strategies, this makes combat awesome. Speaking of strategies, Dante now has an angel and demon mode (blue and red). Angel weapons are faster, demon weapons are stronger (Dante can hold up to 8 weapons). And now it's time for the devil trigger. Honestly it's not a big deal, i like it.

That was basic gameplay, the story is kind of strong i guess? I never care about stories in games, but i could feel it in this one. Voice acting is also okay, well maybe not Dante, he sounds way too hollow. (SPOILER AHEAD) But characters themselves seem very weak, unlike Dante, where you will get info about him the whole game. But Kat and Vergil? NOTHING. First of all there's not a clear back story of Kat, and I never found out why Vergil hates humans so much. Like why the should I fight Vergil at the end? "HUMANS ARE OUR SLAVES, NOW THE BOSS FIGHT BEGINS" c'mon that's just stupid.
    (SPOILER END)

Speaking of bosses *sigh* bosses are easy as Dear Ninja Theory, if the normal enemies are more difficult to kill than the bosses, there's a slight problem. ^^

So generally speaking: Great game, great combat, great atmosphere, great level design, good story, allthough weak characters and easy bosses. "DmC Devil may Cry" gets my solid 8 out of 10
  91. Feb 16, 2013
    DmC is a game that has been getting a lot of negative attention since its reveal a couple of years ago. Fans of the original games have been raging over Dante's physical appearance and how the story and aesthetics have completely changed. Now DmC is finally and its is awesome! Its a dark and more mature story this time around and Dante is not a cheesy character. Level design in the game are some of the best I've ever seen, with environments shifting around and beautiful destruction. This all comes with great graphics and an awesome blend of colors. Combat is a ton fun and its satisfying. I couldn't wait to get to the next horde of the enemies to come attack so I could beat the crap out of the them. My only gripes with the game were it was too short and getting SSS were a breeze. With all that being said, DmC is a blast. If you still haven't pick it up, I highly suggest you check it out soon. Fans of the franchise are giving this game 1's and 0's. This is insulting as I have played game that are that bad and Devil May Cry is not a 1! Do not listen to those babies. Expand
  92. Feb 15, 2013
    In order to fully articulate how much of a disappointment this game is, one needs to fully understand the scope of what was lost in the original series of games. ---Gameplay--- The Devil May Cry franchise was a slow but steady research and development project into the new world of a genre it created (The Stylish Action genre). DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to change styles or firearms on the fly. It did, however, allow the player to lock on to targets, something which "DMC" is lacking. DMC2: Expanded upon the options by allowing the player to change firearms during play and capitalised upon a nuance of the older game by allowing mid air juggling.

DMC3: Expanded even further by allowing the player to change devil arms on the fly whilst also introducing styles, albeit these styles were fixed per mission. The pseudo 2 player mode in the form of doppelganger was also a nice touch.

DMC4: As it's predecessors had done, expanded further by introducing a throw mechanic in the form of Nero's devil bringer and of course brought with it something new to the table in the form on-the-fly style change mechanics.

"DMC": TOOK A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS.
    So far in some aspects that it completely missed the point of the genre it was trying to reboot.
    - No lock on, which is really handy when trying not to fall to your death or shooting the projectile firing enemies at the back.
    - Combos that can be broken by accidental input on certain enemies.
    - Combos that can be broken by a certain enemy walking in the way of an attack.
    - Limiting attacking options by rendering weapons to a 'more dangerous than unusable state'. Stylish gauge that is easy to fill. (Mash one button)
    - Enemy juggles that allow the main character to essentially fly.
    - Making monotonous tasks stylish.
    - Making once monotonous but now cleared tasks contribute to your rank in higher difficulties, gimping the difficulty in getting an overall S rank and escaping the point of the difficulties in the first place.

---PLOT---
    DMC's strong point was never really plot nuances, although it had it's good moments. It had it's shockingly bad moments though (Like a plane falling through the ceiling at the right time letting the two protagonists escape: DMC1).
    Also, the franchise was going to suffer from the superman problem: "How do we write a story that is challenging for a character who is essentially to strong for everybody to handle".
    We saw this problem essentially culminate in DMC2 and the solution was a prequel, DMC3.
    They struggled a bit with DMC4 because Dante was essentially too strong, so they had to nurf him a little in some respects and by giving us a new character who was similar but different, it allowed the player to experience mortality.

"DMC" went straight for the jugular by thinking that Dante needed roughing up and bringing down a peg or two, which literally took place in the trailers.
    The in game plot was a hash of references to the old material whilst also trying to be political, edgy and fashionable. Re: F*cking swearing Wise cracking, since when?
    Dante lives in a trailer and hates humanity? Who is he a Martin Riggs addicted to meth?
    Dante is the son of an angel and a demon? Who is he Little Nicky on crack?
    Dante passes between limbo and the real world? Who is he, a tweaking John Constantine?
    Dante has a brother who wants to rule the world and tricks him into fighting on his side? Who is he, a Junkie Solid Snake?

No he is DMC Dante, the kind of guy who asks the questions the audience is asking like: "How did my coat get on the Ferris-wheel", we all know how Dante, lazy shoehorned writing.

When all is said and done, it has brought us one undeniable fact, don't crap on your fan base.
  93. Feb 16, 2013
    Some times the community is a complete This game is AWESOME and a liked it very much Only the cinematics from the game are a stand alone movie... For me just go buy it ..But if you are not sure check out some videos on YouTube :D
  94. Feb 19, 2013
    Bad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  95. Feb 19, 2013
    I just finished the game and i found it amazing Don't hate it because they change the character or anything else of course they will it is a reboot. The studio made a great game and they certainly don't deserve an average score of 4.1 This game at least deserves an 8.5
  96. Feb 21, 2013
    I got some mixed feelings about the reboot of DMC. For being a 7 hour long brutal DMC is a highly recommendable HacknSlash-Title. But if you're searching for a real DMC like me with the original Dante, then you're going to have some problems getting into the game. The setting is differs from the original as well as Dante himself, and somewhat it felt more like a Bayonetta than a DMC. After all I'm also a fan of the Bayonetta witch and I've been very entertained by it but it just felt like the right game in the wrong franchise. If you're just looking for some twisted action, you should definetly give DMC a chance and experience a seven Long story short: Devil May Cry is the best Bayonetta 2 that could`ve been. Expand
  97. Feb 21, 2013
    DMC is an insult to the legendary histroy of Devil May cry games. To add insult to injury they even poke fun at how they changed dante's hair.

This game is a joke, even on hard it is way too easy. Yea, its flashy with solid graphics but these changes pissed off one too many fans.
  98. Feb 22, 2013
    After all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much more negative points that overall ruin this game. Several parts of the storyline and dialogue are shocking, puerile or completely unnecessary and the game would benefit from their removal. Glitchy platforming causes death to the user at no fault of their own. Frame-rate drops at times unacceptable for a level based game on a console (open world you can sometimes forgive). Easier than all previous Devil May Cry games but this is probably an intentional based on the game designers thinking the "know better" that the creators of the previous games. The most annoying part is that pretty obvious from the opening and ending sequences that NinjaTheory pretty far up their own arses a position which is certainly unjustified from some of the amateurish content they've delivered here. A little bit of thought, maturity and humility in their decision making would have stopped a lot of the problems mentioned above. Expand
  99. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top
    action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time. Expand
  100. Feb 25, 2013
    Before i start i'd like to note that i am a huge DMC fan and have been one since it's inception in 2001.
    This game is no different! Dont listen to raging fanboys acting like children not giving this game a fair chance or review, because it's safe the say that this game is fantastic. 1. story and presentation It's the best looking, presented and grounded DMC to date. Dante feels like an
    actual person rather then a cliche anime pretty boy character. It's something as the series went on that DMC seemed to get confused and lost by. Dante this time around is a character that starts off carefree and flawed with lust but through out the game (with out spoiling) grows into the character and man he's supposed to be. Other then him Vergil is in the game and is final is a relatable character! Someone you can connect and have an emotional response to along side Dante. Kat is the new DMC girl and is not a busty girl with no character. Like Vergil she is someone you start to care for by the end of the game. With out spoiling the plot, it's definitely the most grounded DMC with the story more about character growth. My only complant about it is that it's cut short (like every game it seems now a day) and there are technical issues. Not in gameplay but some frame rate drops during cutscenes. Cutscenes which are gorgeous by the way! The mo cap that Ninja Theory is famous for is amazing! Dante feels, looks and acts like a real person with subtle to extreme animations. Any gamer that enjoys and appreciates art should pick up this game! It's hard to describe just how amazing the game looks! 2. Music and sound
    Like it or not the music is great! It fits the exact tone NT is going for. The music was composed by Noisia (electronic band) and Combichrist. (industrial band) They do a great job setting up the atmosphere and pumping you up for the battle at hand. I love the music in DMC and this one is no different! I didnt know how i felt about Noisia using dubstep but thats only a small portion of the music. They are so versatile that the music can fit into many genres (thats why i call them an electronic band not a dubstep band) from the soft strings in Kat's them, to The dubstep track for Mundas theme to the retro arcade song. Combichrist songs were used for the battle themes. I loved the metal with electronic synth which will build up as you gain your S ranking which also makes Dante faster as you yourself react faster. It's great when it's in effect and really pumps you up as your slaying demons! Other then that the sound effects are also amazing from the weapon, and creatures to the sound of limbo crushing the world. 3.Gameplay and value
    This is the area in which most fans (myself included) were scared about. in past ninja theory games, they proved that there game play had many issues and being quite shallow. However this time around with Capcoms ad thats not the case. The combat is different but similar and as smooth as ever! It's more approachable but just as hardcore as the last. I was surprised how smooth it ran on 30 fps (the pc version runs on 60 which looks fantastic) however slower then the past dmc games doesn't make the combat less or better but something fresh. The game is fun! and with many different difficulties and enemy re spawns should keep the player busy for a while. Things that caught my attention quick was the lack of lock on....it's not a major issue but when fighting multipul enemies it can get confusing. Also the game for me at least wasn't that challenging (comparing it the past dmc games) however i'm a huge dmc player and have SSS'd all the games on all difficulties and create combo videos on youtube so i do have that advantage over other players. Again it doesn't really take away from the experience but should be noted. 3. Conclusion
    This game had been getting a bad name from the online community with some people acting like children condemning what is a very fine work of art. Therefore what i ask the reader is to go into the game open minded with out judging a book by the cover. you will be surprised just how jaw dropping the game is. It's very artist, looks great, has great characters with some humor and above all else has fun silky smooth gameplay.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.