5.2

1. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is simply 'Meh'. There is nothing outstanding that will warrant a purchase.

Under normal circumstances I would rate it higher, if the game wasn't pretending to be a Devil May Cry game. I've noticed in official reviews that the game is apparently 'amazing compared to Devil May Cry 1' which I think may be a decade old by this point. Big game reviewers are trying to claim this

Big game reviewers are trying to claim this game is fantastic, gripping and amazing - You can see who gets ad revenue from Capcom if their reviews sing along those lines.

This game is Heavenly Sword with terrible story and writing, nothing written in this game is worth listening to. Fear for your sanity if you are looking forward to this story.

This game is a shell of the former glory that was DMC3 and (the Dante parts) of DMC4.
    Honestly, I think that Ninja Theory only played DMC2 and Nero in DMC4 when they were designing this mess.

In closing, this game is average. I rated it slightly lower because it's trying to be DMC.
    Fanboys, please don't immediately scream hate in my direction, I tried to be as unbiased as possible when playing this, and I'm not particularly happy with the death of one of my favorite franchises.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good: While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good:

While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was not DLC.

While the platforming is rather shallow, it does manage to show off the very impressive environments. The music seems to be fitting for the game style, and while not really my style, it never seemed to bother me too much.

The bad: Overall, the game is too easy even on higher difficulties, I found myself sustaining 0 damage on some of the bosses, SSS style ranking by repeating two combos over and over, only one if I managed to land it after a demon evade. surprisingly, a normal foe, a dual sword wielding enemy managed to be more challenging than every single boss in the game.

Out of 5 melee weapons the game provides, 2 of them manage to be rather useless, since the remaining three cover all your needs, I am talking about Rebellion, Arbiter and Aquila. This also happens with firearms, going from useless, to useful, to broken. You could say those weapons are there to give variety, you would be wrong, and I explain why next ...

Color coding, apparently the combat designer felt the best way to show off the move set was not letting you use it, you come across these color coded enemies as the game gets "harder", that can only be damaged by either a demon weapon or an angel one, the moveset on Aquila (angel) and (Arbiter) are very superior than your other options, so is their damage output, which you need since these enemies have lots of health, there goes variety.

The frame rate drops a lot to 20 fps (the old ones were 60 solid), especially towards the end when even cut-scenes suffer from it, in the very few scenes where the heavy handed red/orange/blue filter goes away, the city starts showing the unreal engine, everything looks grey with lots of bloom, with PS2 like textures and geometry.

The chief designer claims that this will elevate storytelling in games to the level of film and theatre ....

The old games were 80s B action movie cheesy, the dialog and story on this one were soap opera bad, if they made soap operas for edgy 14 year old boys and men during midlife crisis, I never knew sex scenes and profanity could be badly written until now, it´s full of shock value, no substance at all. Felt like watching The Hangover again, like an unfunny episode of Family Guy, I mean there was an abortion by sniper rifle. When the game takes itself serious it fails miserably at it too, taking a boss from Futurama character motivations from They Live and Stars Wars prequels. They removed taunting because it felt unrealistic, and yet the they show demon bosses being killed by a single bullet on a cutscene when previous game play shows those same bosses barely damaged by 400 bullets each. they also show the main antagonist, a super smart boy prodigy blabbing his master plan,in front of the wrong people at the wrong time, the worst possible way, to justify the last battle, which is is copy pasted from DMC3, only much slower.

The game is fun, looks and sounds good too. I got some eye candy, I got shallow but serviceable platforming, and for combat I got 75% old DMC, 10% Dark Sector and 15% Heavenly Sword. .......

This confused me, because when Ninja Theory said they were making it their own, I expected the combat to drastically change, for better or worse, I expected them to walk a different path, and yet it seems they walked the same one, only they gave up half way and called it a day, this made me feel the reboot was rather pointless, unless you really really like dubstep .......

Not worth full price
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    Old Dante was campy. New Dante is crass. Dumbed down combat. Over abundant platforming. Sub 30 frames per second. It's all the stuff you keep hearing, and it's all true. On the pass or fail scale, this game gets a 0. Fail.
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 2/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops, which is even worse compared to the 360 version , almost a constant 15 frames in combat, the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    No lock on, no taunt button, broken style system, horrible characters, 30 FPS, terrible dialogue, bland enemies, mediocre boss battles and so much more. Yeah the game isn't Devil May Cry anymore. The combat is vastly inferior compared to its predecessor.
  7. Jan 17, 2013
    -Dumbed down combat mechanics (You can do an SSS rank mashing only one button. Seriously?) -no auto lock (no automatic one doesnt count) - later levels are lacking in visuals, same with monsters vulnerable only to one type of attack that you need to constantly switch between which gets incredibly tedious and repetitive as the game progresses
    - emo dante - the abortion scene - all the ****
    - emo dante - the abortion scene - all the **** YOU" level of writing. Seriously what the HELL is this? Is this what the franchise has become? Ninja Theory basically butchered this game making it a sad shell of its former self.
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good, (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was veryFirst, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good, (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until released lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This review gets a lower score as the PS3 version is notably worse than the 360 version. Anyways, Devil May Cry 3 is often considered to be the best game in its genre and even the best action/adventure game ever made. It's combination of simple intuitive controls, deep fast paced combat, challenging bosses, and wildly entertaining cutscenes with cool characters solidified its status as anThis review gets a lower score as the PS3 version is notably worse than the 360 version. Anyways, Devil May Cry 3 is often considered to be the best game in its genre and even the best action/adventure game ever made. It's combination of simple intuitive controls, deep fast paced combat, challenging bosses, and wildly entertaining cutscenes with cool characters solidified its status as an all time classic. So DmC has some huge shoes to fill. And it fails on almost all regards. The gameplay manages to both be dumbed down yet harder to play. The controls are less intuitive and there's a slight delay in everything you do be it dodging or switching weapons. Without lockon there are issues with attacking the wrong enemy. The weapons are unbalanced as hell, the scythe is completely useless while the glaive and axe are gamebreaking. The enemy design is awful. The game is at its best when you are surrounded with several standard enemies, but the game insists on making you fight enemies who limit your moves. This guy can only be hit by this weapon, that guy by that weapon, etc. The further you get in the game the more the game consists of only these unfun pace-breaking enemies. Why even give you more weapons and moves to use if the game won't let you use them? The bosses are a pitiful easy joke not even worth talking about. Cutscenes that are unskippable break up the gameplay all the time and kill replay value. What we have been given is a shallow, simplistic casual game that is supposed to be rebooting a series known for being deep and hardcore. The platforming adds nothing but time to the game, it isn't fun yet it comprises almost half the gameplay. All in all the gameplay is absolutely awful compared to the predecessors this game is supposed to be living up to. Storywise Ninja Theory games are supposed to be strong, but that is not the case here. The plot is predictable and lifted entirely from They Live with a few other sources ripped off as well. The narrative proceeds with little character development and is utterly dull and generic. The voice acting is surprisingly unemotional, several lines in the game are botched, and the battle cries and pain noises sound amateur at best. The characters are bland and unlikable with only a few major exceptions. The soundtrack is mostly terrible. There's a few good songs in the game but most of the time it's just awful electronic mashing that anybody could make with no effort on a laptop. Even the final boss theme is horrible and boring electronic BFFFDDKKKWOOOOEW garbage. The best part of this game is the visuals. It's gorgeous, especially for a UE3 game. The colors are nice and vibrant and varied, the environments are extremely cool looking, and there are a lot of neat visual effects in the game I didn't know UE3 was capable of. Sadly though the environments get more generic and uninspired the more the game goes on, and the lighting effects are irritating at many points. All in all DmC: Devil May Cry isn't a good hardcore action game. Maybe it's a good casual action game, but that isn't what anybody wants out of Devil May Cry, and that isn't what the title is being advertised as. Also the practices the companies and journalists have applied to this game are appalling and insulting, this game is a huge sign to look to when it comes to corruption in the video game industry. Expand
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I go into the game, remember this took close to five years to be developed with an already established game engine.

Story: What can I say, it really just sounds like someone has issues with life. Dante is some guy living in a trailer who is brought in to help fight against the demons who secretly rule the world using mind controlling soft drinks. Besides the immature dialogue and the see through plot, the characters themselves have no redeeming points. Dante harasses the humans he's trying to protect and be's a jerk to everyone except the girl he likes. Vergil kills a child in the womb and allows the mother a moment to realise her child is dead before he kills her as well and laughs about it.
    These two are brothers and while the relationship is established during the game, it just feels forced and when they inevitably fight because of opposing opinions (Vergil offended Dante's girl) there's no feeling to it. Overall the story has stolen many ideas and concepts from other movies and games that executed them better.

The Gameplay is what the DMC franchise is known for. The lack of a lock on button means you'll be flailing around as the jittery camera spins during fights. The combos aren't as impressive as you think, in the old series tying your combos together helped gain a better score and allowed you easier means to beat your enemies. In this game, you can get a good score by either finding poorly hidden secrets (big red shiny door that glows) or by using a move with the axe that allows an instant SSS (highest style score). The bosses aren't challenging even on the highest difficulties. The poison fight was the most hilarious. When the boss does it's sweep attack, you can parry it which allows you to drag it down *cut scene* allowing you ten seconds to pummel it. Fair enough...except your attacks can finish it off within that ten seconds and then *cut scene*. Every boss is like this, one you find their weakness they are easily demolished. Worse yet, if you don't kill them in that ten seconds they rise and do the exact same attack again without fail allowing you over and over again if need be to pummel them without fear of being hit.
    Switching the weapons really feels pointless for starters when you gain an axe near the start of the game which does incredibly damage to everything. But you have to hold triggers down and tap the d-pad until you find the weapon you want and by then your rythem will be messed up. Oh yeah, style metres don't drop unless your hit, which would be a problem if the enemies attacked you. I waited fifteen seconds at one stage for one of them to attack me! Then when they attack they strike a pose, wait three seconds while their weapons flashes brightly signalling an attack, your given the option of choosing to use two evade buttons (they do the same thing) or jump out the way. Still, despite the combat, you'll be holding out for these moments as the rest of the seven hour game is filled with plat forming and jumping. Wouldn't mind this if the game wasn't a Hack 'n' Slash proclaimed to be the best of it's genre with great combat.
    The devil trigger feels to me like a slap in the face to the old fans. I didn't get involved in all the wars between the two fanbases, but why does a 'Devil' trigger make him get white hair and a Red coat? I thought that was the point of a reboot was to bring life into a franchise and to reinvigorate it, so they give you a button that makes the new Dante look like old Dante (despite him apparently being uncool, a loser, unfashionable)?
    He is half angel, half demon...why not just call it his 'Trigger' / 'Release' / 'Ascension' mode or something? Devil trigger implies he turns into a demon...

Sound and Audio is a meh. Personally I'm not into recorded human farts (I wish I was joking here) and little pops that represent gunfire. The sounds are lackluster but it's a damn sight better than the dialogue which consists of "F**K YOU!" - "YOU WH**E". I honestly wouldn't mind if this wasn't forced upon you and felt like it suited the game and the atmosphere but it just sounds juvenile.

Re-playability is really up to the user. Me? I won't be touching it again and will be dropping it off at my nearest game store. The secrets aren't really that good, the DLC just adds extra costumes (why they included a DMC 3 Dante outfit when they already have a Dante Trigger I don't know?) a game mode that all the others DMC games except the first had for free and a Vergil's downfall which is sort of a spoiler if you haven't already seen the entire game on Youtube or paid much attention to the games story (which I can't really condemn you for)

Overall I could have gone alot more into detail on this game on just how BAD it is. For years we've had journalists saying this is the best game ever and will beat all expectations, but this is just pathetic. Five years and this is it?. It may have the name Devil May Cry but it will never have it's light!
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    There's just nothing remarkable at all about this game. The combat is simple and altogether indistinguishable from any other God of War clone, in the same vein as Ninja Theory's other titles. But where those games were made enjoyable by their ancillary features such as their art direction or writing, DmC fails in all regards. The music ranges from bland to ear molestation. The writing isThere's just nothing remarkable at all about this game. The combat is simple and altogether indistinguishable from any other God of War clone, in the same vein as Ninja Theory's other titles. But where those games were made enjoyable by their ancillary features such as their art direction or writing, DmC fails in all regards. The music ranges from bland to ear molestation. The writing is tonally inconsistent and the characters are universally unlikable. The art direction right down to the color palette are derivative and just hard to look at. This is a simple action game that likes of which has been seen dozens of times before, with nothing at all positive to separate it from its brethren. Expand
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    A disgrace to the Devil May Cry franchise. This game killed the whole series with it's awful combat, awful characters and awful storyline. Nothing that made people love the series is left with DmC: Devil May Cry. Ninja Theory and Capcom did a horrible job on this game.
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    dmc devil may cry is a shameless reboot to a great franchise,this game has obscene violence and even a sex scene in it. ninja theory claim its a shakespear-esk game but in reality its a pitiful game
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points. Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes. Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them. The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used. Expand
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    Between the simplified gameplay, a plot stolen from "They Live" and unimpressive technology it is hard to see how this game has been getting such high scores from "professional" critics. A cynic would guess that they were bribed, or maybe Capcom has applied pressure on the. Who knows.

The game itself is nothing to write home about. The characters are unlikable, the gameplay mindlessly unchallenging and repetitive and the dialogue sounds like something a rebellious teenager would think is the coolest thing ever.

There is really no other reason to get this game other than to annoy fans of the original DMC.
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wantedQuite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    The combat is decent. The platforming is a bore. The story could've been good but was executed terrible. The script is atrocious, as is the Voice Acting and Motion Capture. It also only runs to about 7 hours. It's fun for a while, but replaying through the story and such would be absolutely unbearable. Get's a 5/10 for the fun combat, but everything else horribly drags it down.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    First of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness andFirst of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness and powerful feel to them for the first half of the game that disappears later on as enemies start demanding certain types used. This destroys any semblance of flow the game may have had. This coupled with a meaningless combo system (since you can get SSS without trying) leaves everything feeling generally hollow.

The environment has much the same issue. At first it's an interesting romp through many varied and somewhat interesting zones, and while the scenery looks nice, it does nothing save throw you into the occasional, overly simplistic platforming puzzle. When I said it's like the combat, well, I meant that it gets worse as time goes on. The scenery just becomes generic and boring later on, as if the devs just gave up and said **** it".

The story is where the game truly dims. Everyone knows it at this point: the story is childish, cliched, and seemingly written by a 12 year old with a chip no their shoulder. Pretty much every character has the inability to act their age, and the story line itself is a complete bore and would still be a bore even if the characters acted with a sliver of maturity. As a Devil May Cry game, this should be buried and forgotten. As a generic action game, this should be played with the volume off and all cut scenes skipped. It's certainly not worth it's full price, and it sickens me that there are so many high "official" reviews which show me nothing more than either A. Reviewers have lost all credibility and ability to rate fairly. or B. Bribery is alive and well.

Don't buy this game, if you haven't played earlier Devil May Cry games, I can at least say 4 is worth it. If you have played earlier Devil May Cry games, play them again, because this one isn't one.
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    This game has incredible environments, but it feels so slow compared to its predecessors. It feels easier to get a SSS by just mashing buttons and switching between the 3 weapons at the end of each button mashing combo. The main character change was the worst thing that made me cringe evrytime a cutscene happened in this game, this new hipster 14 year old Dante is not fun, is arrrogant andThis game has incredible environments, but it feels so slow compared to its predecessors. It feels easier to get a SSS by just mashing buttons and switching between the 3 weapons at the end of each button mashing combo. The main character change was the worst thing that made me cringe evrytime a cutscene happened in this game, this new hipster 14 year old Dante is not fun, is arrrogant and truth be told, most of his remarks make him sound pathetic. Also, why do an "anonymous fights big corporations" type of fight behind all of this? and **** twitter? What the hell was i playing man. This isnt Devil May Cry, this is a **** parody and a joke compared to its previous games. Needless to say i returned my copy as soon as i forced myself to finish this ( game is short ) . Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll give DmC one thing - it's somewhat fun. That's about all I can say - The game is waaaaaaaaaaaay dumbed down. You can get an SSS in several hits just by using the axe, which is horrendously overpowered and quite honestly the only weapon really worth using. Difficulty levels only change the spawning patterns and damage of the enemies - they still move the same speed, and they still takeI'll give DmC one thing - it's somewhat fun. That's about all I can say - The game is waaaaaaaaaaaay dumbed down. You can get an SSS in several hits just by using the axe, which is horrendously overpowered and quite honestly the only weapon really worth using. Difficulty levels only change the spawning patterns and damage of the enemies - they still move the same speed, and they still take the same damage to die. What happened to DMC's ridiculous difficulty where getting and maintaining an SSS could be nigh impossible? The writing is atrocious too. Overall it wouldn't have really been that bad of a game, if it wasn't trying to pass itself off as a DMC game. It simply doesn't hold up to the standard that should be expected from this series, and that's why it's generating so much negative hype. I hope this doesn't represent a new point for the series. Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    Ok first of all, I want to point out how the so called "Critics" are taking orders to boost/push some games, this game is the brightest example.

Now to the game, If you have played the demo, more or less you have seen everything, this over-colored, over-bright graphics are everywhere and where the're not, the opposite happens and the colors and the textures are blandly dead. Too odd

Now to the game,
    Too odd graphics combined with the camera movement (like in enslaved) will make you eyes bleed.

Fighting system, just have a go at DMC3 or DMC4 and then come back to DmC, extremely slow, no lock-on system, the combos are just lame, not effort is really needed to stay on air, and in general dante is all over the place, you cant really focus and charge to a specific enemy and knock your self out hitting him.
    oh Yeah and the bullets that leave trails are a really nice touch, it makes it look even cheaper/older....

Now about the story/script clearly the people who wrote them have some issues and really need to see a doctor. Like swearing all the time and to top it, Vergil shooting a pregnant woman? really? now really?

Not much to say about Dante he is dislikeable ...if there was a **** he would have send it over the scale.....Let alone how he looks

Just don't buy it, but if you are curious to see what is all about , buy it used in a month for 5-10 euros.

@Capcom com'on you are way better than that, everyone knows that.
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    Casualised, dumbed down, dubstep filled garbage. The prime example of how something so great such as the DMC series can fall to a cliché piece of crap just to pander to a younger and dumber audience. It would have been better if they let the series die at the fourth installment.
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    While many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everythingWhile many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everything right while they clearly have not. Expand
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is painfully bad. The combat is slow and boring and the story is idiotic and offensive. Dante looks like a crack addict now. To call this game a "turd" would be an insult to fecal matter.
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    Ninja Theory has turned into the cancer of the games industry. Throughout development they have continued to insult the fans to the extent of even mocking the fans in the game with the "wig cutscene" then continued to not be able to keep their mouths shut , especially tameem who is a complete douche.
  26. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is **** If you love action games do yourself a favor go buy an older Devil May Cry now! If you believe these phony positive reviewers you will be sitting through out on one of the worst action games to come out for a long time .I usually dont write reviews but it pisses me off when people give games an unjustified positive review.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll say now that while I am a fan of the previous DMC games, I have no problems with new Dante's appearance, nor any of the other characters in this reboot. What I do have a problem with is their personalities. They decided to make the character of Dante particularly edgy and childish - I'd go as far as to say somewhat annoying. Some of the characters are even a little bland andI'll say now that while I am a fan of the previous DMC games, I have no problems with new Dante's appearance, nor any of the other characters in this reboot. What I do have a problem with is their personalities. They decided to make the character of Dante particularly edgy and childish - I'd go as far as to say somewhat annoying. Some of the characters are even a little bland and stereotypical - take Kat, she strikes me as a perfect example of a two-dimensional, helpless female character clinging to Dante and Vergil and being constantly emotional. And yet we've heard nothing said about this from feminists - despite other, better developed female characters from more popular series being ripped to shreds by feminists for not being a perfect portrayal of a strong independent female who don't need no man (Anita doesn't care anymore, she's sitting pretty on $8.5 million.)

The writing is ham-fisted but sometimes catches me off guard by throwing in a genuinely funny insult. The ending is what I'm annoyed about, it was totally unnecessary to have it go all pretentious and pseudo-Shakespearean with the twitter thing, Taneem including himself in the game and the whole "Vergil becoming the bad guy" completely outta nowhere. It just wasn't needed. It might have worked as an interactive trailer for the dlc that's set to come out surrounding Vergil, but as part of the story? It just doesn't make sense - it should have ended after Mundus was defeated (a laughable boss which would have felt more like a tutorial level in older games)

The level design looks nice, and plays well for a while, but it gets old rather quickly and the platforming doesn't really develop in any way. By the end of the game I'm bored out of my mind, willing what little combat there is to help remind me why I'm still playing this game. Aesthetically, the design looks really nice, so at least there's that.

The combat (arguably the most important part of any DMC game) had me worried. for instance, I was worried about it not having lock-on. that seems to be a non-issue, but the fact that the difficulties are supposedly easier is awful because that's completely unlike every other game in the series. It's meant to kick your arse until you get it together and start playing well - SSS is a rank to be proud of, a real achievement - not something you attain for spamming buttons.

The difficulty settings have one saving grace however - the inclusion of the mode "Hell and Hell". This mode pushes players to avoid any and all hits, due to Dante dying in one hit himself. THIS SHOULD BE UNLOCKED BY DEFAULT. Why do I have to play through easy mode just to get to a point where I can actually have fun?

Overall, I give the game a 4/10, however it would have received a 6.5/10 if I'm feeling generous and ignore the fact that it's a reboot of a very popular series of good games. It just doesn't capture what the DMC series is about - cheesy retorts, action, badass fight scenes and most importantly, difficult combat. In addition, while it does have the makings of a decent stand alone game, it's let down by the writing and character development as well as repetitive level design and easy-mode fights.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is a betrayal of all DMC fans out there, pure and simple. The gameplay is casualised to the point where you no longer need any effort to pull of the biggest combos. There is no reward for struggling with and becoming better at the game, everything is presented to you right of the bat and the neatest package possible. The writing is childish at best and just pure insulting atThis game is a betrayal of all DMC fans out there, pure and simple. The gameplay is casualised to the point where you no longer need any effort to pull of the biggest combos. There is no reward for struggling with and becoming better at the game, everything is presented to you right of the bat and the neatest package possible. The writing is childish at best and just pure insulting at worst. The graphics are fine, but the aesthetics are uninspired to say the least. Overall this game does everything wrong. A good example of the saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    I would normally give a balanced review, but it seems to be that professional reviewers only focus on one aspect of a game. Therefore, in an attempt to be more professional, I will do the same, and since the positive side has been highlighted plenty by sites such as IGN, I will just list all the negative things. Keep in mind that this list is not intended to be complete, as just thinkingI would normally give a balanced review, but it seems to be that professional reviewers only focus on one aspect of a game. Therefore, in an attempt to be more professional, I will do the same, and since the positive side has been highlighted plenty by sites such as IGN, I will just list all the negative things. Keep in mind that this list is not intended to be complete, as just thinking back on this game made me feel nauseated.

Horrendous writing on the level of B-list horror movies, characters that talk like 12 years old on Xbox live, lackluster voice acting, outdated engine, 30 FPS, ugly and uninspired character/boss/enemy design, in some places hilariously bad facial animations, iffy platforming,... But all that might have been forgiven if they got the combat right. But even in that area it's average at best and a mayor step back from the previous DMCs. What's more, it completely ignores the entire philosophy of what DMC combat is supposed to be about. To go into a little more detail, they removed footsies with the pull moves, no lock-on effectively limits the things you can do, removed styles and style switching, weapon switching is too sluggish to be freely used in combos and has awkward controls on top, aerial combos can be kept going solely by spamming the scythe, there are two dodge buttons with too many invincibility frames and almost no recovery, DT is overpowered as it throws all enemies into the air and regenerates your health crazy fast, no taunt button, a lot of enemies can only be harmed by a specific weapon which limits your combo creativity and on top of all that the style meter now scales solely based on damage and doesn't decrease over time, as opposed to being something that rewarded for you for doing long and varied combos.
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    Ninja Theory don't really know how to devlop games, yeah, games, plural. So far they've only released the same game with minor tweaks to the gameplay and a different story. You thought fourth time was the charm?

Nope, not even close. By making the combat more "accesible"(inputs being simplified, and over-rewading the player for playing effortlessly), it also made it a massive stepback

Nope, not even close.
    By making the combat more "accesible"(inputs being simplified, and over-rewading the player for playing effortlessly), it also made it a massive stepback in terms of what really maters in the DMC series: high-speed, stylish combat.

The high speed already dissapeared when developers refused the idea of working with MT Framework, and chose UE3, a very outdated engine that is not easily optimized, and chose to cap the game at 30 frames per second.

The stylish part of the combat was taken out as the game rewards you for doing very little(using a Demon Dodge, and attacking shortly after skyrockets your style rank), and adding unnecessary gimmicks suck as color-coded enemies, which restrict you as they are immune to over half of your arsenal.

The weapons themselves are fine, but the problem is, some are not nicely implemented.
    Rebellion is the basic sword from previous games, and it works.
    Osiris, the scythe, is downright useless, it's a weapon that deals very little damage, and has a slow attack rate.
    Arbiter, the axe, is the slowest weapon available, but since the damage done by it is beyond insane, it's gonna be what you will use the most.
    Aquila, some kind of glaives or something like that, are all-range weapons, that just don't work for crowd control, but their damage is decent, so it completely outclasses Osiris already.
    Eryx, the gauntlets...well, they don't ever see play.
    Firearms, meanwhile, have little to no difference in anything other than firing speed, outside of Kablooey.

Onto another one of the game's flaws:
    The sound.

The music, 90% of the time, is atrocious and borderline unlistenable, and this is accompanied by very weak voice acting, where none of the actors seem into their character(especially Dante), most sounding like they're doing the voicework just out of boredom. Once they do this, then that's it, they aren't going to pull off a convinceable performance.

The story is pretty much the worst part of this game; when the story of this game is hyped to the point where "it would break the myth that videogame stories are trite and can't stand up to cinema and theathre's best", and the result is filled with tryhard dialogue, an severely unoriginal main plot, inconclusive ending and incredibly inconsistent characterization(so much for character development, huh), you get an horrible feel of dissappointment, for looking up to what at least should be, a story that makes fun of itself and doesn't take itself seriously, but no, this game does indeed mean EVERYTHING its story says.

In short, this game is pretty much a cookie cuter HnS game, not worth a buy(at least not at the full price of 60$, perhaps not even 20$), since for that price you could get, say, 2 games much more worth the time, and the price. Rent it, if you may, the game is very short(roughly 7 and a half hours, including cutscenes), so you should have no problem beating it in, say 2 days, considering the nearly nonexistant difficulty.

Oh and Dante doesn't have white hair until Devil Trigger, then his hair changes with his powerlevel and Vergil doesn't turn into a dinosaur.
    I mean really, no dinosaurs in 2013?
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    Terrible gameplay, atrocious dialogue, insulting storyline. If the title had been a new IP instead of the desecration of a well-established franchise, it would still be horrendous.
    Only recommended for the most casual of deaf and illiterate players.
  32. Jan 15, 2013
    Boring game. Boring combat, story, characters. The game can only display 3 enemies on screen at a time which is nothing compare to games like God of War 3 which can hold up to 50 enemies on screen. The game is easy even on the hardest difficulty level. Story is lame and dialog is so bad it hurts the ears.
  33. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is the very definition of the term "Try-hard". In every aspect of it's story, music, design and gameplay it is simply trying so hard to be "cool" and it comes out looking like that kid you knew back in High School who always thought he was "rad". The script and dialogue are abysmal at best with such lines as "The world is your **** as am I." and of course the now internet famous back and forth of **** YOU" but it goes further than simple one offs. The game gets down right weird in places, and not in a good way, more in a *SPOILER ALERT* "I just shot your baby" kind of way that really just makes everything feel wrong. When the story isn't being try-hard it's being down right edgy, with no shortage of chances to stick it to the man. But where the game really falters is where it really counts; gameplay. Gameplay is slow, unrewarding and brain-numbingly easy. The Style Meter of DMC fame has been bastardized to a level of just plain pity as it pumps out SS and SSS ranking like they're going out of style. I myself hit an enemy 4 times and got my SSS. Enemies stand around and downright refuse to be a burden to the player, content to let you wail on them or move into better combo positions. To put it simply, you truely need no effort in DmC as it's goal is to make you feel like a winner but will ultimately make you feel like you wasted your time, There are however some moments of genius through out the game. The level design and art palette are of a uniquely excellent standard. Level's pop out at you and you will end up remembering them long after you've left the area. Perhaps my favorite moment in the game is in the Raptor News Network level where you shift vantage point to that of a camera as they televise the fight. It was fun and I actually enjoyed the boss battle, if not from a story point and just from a gamer point. To wrap up, DmC is a whole disappointing experience that left me feeling nostalgic for the past DMC's rather than hungry for another playthrough. What is sad is that Ninja Theory could have fixed many of the problems through out the game during their production time but wrote off all criticism of the title, attributing any ill-though about the game to their redesign of Dante. They even go as far as to include a short scene *SPOILER* where Dante wears a white wig that makes him look like the old Dante, having him denounce the look by saying "Not in a million years". Sadly, the moment would have been one of DmC's few genuinely funny moments, seeing as Dante eventually does gain white hair of his own, if not for the joke being an obviously kick to the old DMC fans. Overall, the moments of fun are overshadowed by edginess, laziness and very weak gameplay. Expand
  34. Jan 15, 2013
    Long story short, worst thing capcom has done ever, simplistic gameplay instead of technical mechanics based on difficulty levels, retarded plot and an unnecesary reboot, one point for graphics,a game that should have never existed.
  35. Jan 15, 2013
    "DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and"DmC is a brilliant title as it shows us how willing Video game journalists are to prostitute themselves for ad revenue, merchandise and review copies of games. Anyone who played one level would recognize the now crippled game play is a massive drop in quality from previous titles. From the way enemies take a minimum of 5 seconds to attack to the boss banter being things like **** you" and " no **** you". The Plot is your typical masturbatory tale of how corporations are bad and evil with edgy little twists like the murdering of unborn children and brothers debating the length of their **** With all of the above in mind It seem ninja theory are the hero's we truly need to drag unscrupulous game journalists into the spot light and hopefully discover how they justify misleading and lying to consumers with claims that games such as DmC is anything near good.

I give this game a 10/10 for the valuable service it provides. Oh metcritic users here's a fun game, view the other reviews of anyone who gave this a 10/10 cause they sure love ninja theory games and that's about it.
  36. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is awesome. If you love action games do yourself a favor go buy this now! If you believe these phony negative reviewers you will be missing out on one of the best action games to come out for a long time .I usually dont write reviews but it pisses me off when people give games an unjustified negative review.
  37. Jan 15, 2013
    After playing the game throughout the weekend, I will say that this game is really disappointing. The pre-release reviews hyped this up and assured me that it had the caliber that the older games had. The combat is sluggish, lack of lock on really hurts it. There are constant frame rate drops, and the horrible Cut scenes take forever to be skipped. The bosses are a joke. There is noAfter playing the game throughout the weekend, I will say that this game is really disappointing. The pre-release reviews hyped this up and assured me that it had the caliber that the older games had. The combat is sluggish, lack of lock on really hurts it. There are constant frame rate drops, and the horrible Cut scenes take forever to be skipped. The bosses are a joke. There is no challenge in this game. The demon weapons are too OP, and while angel weapons Are primarily for utility, it gets frustrating when there are enemies that can only be killed with angel weapons. What a cheap way to up the difficulty. The story is horrible. The acting, the facial expressions, it's really bad. The old games at least didn't take itself too seriously. It's so bland, and it thinks it's top notch writing. What a joke. If reviews are giving this 8s and 9s then they really should not be writing reviews. I can't believe that a current gen game this late in the cycle plays so badly. I didn't even believe in payed reviews until now. It has some nice level design, and the Bob Barbas fight was the only one that was any good, but there is a bunch of bad with this game. Do yourself a favor, and pick up the DMC HD collection and DMC4. Looks better, plays better, a lot cheaper, and all around good game, even with its own faults. Expand
  38. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Couple that with the fact that if you hid the name of the game and characters from me, I Expand
  39. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  40. Jan 15, 2013
    Mediocre game, the story is very poorly written childish-teenage appealing mess that are in vouge right now.
    Poor uninteresting stereotyped characters like the "half demon half angel" angry loner don't really help either.
    The gameplay not only is in the category of "average hack and slash" but it's also oversemplifed and lacks completely in character putting it way under other titles that are actually enjoyable.
    The art direction is interesting and well realized, the graphics are quite nice.
    Minor bugs here and there but nothing game breaking.
  41. Jan 15, 2013
    With "DMC" the series has gone from a self-aware, decidedly cheesy yet over-the-top, stellar action series to a game that simply tries to hard to be "edgy". The gameplay is good at first, but becomes repetitive faster than a flash game, unacceptable from a modern AAA title. The rest is just a slow, agonizing de-construction of what made the original games (except for Devil May Cry 2) soWith "DMC" the series has gone from a self-aware, decidedly cheesy yet over-the-top, stellar action series to a game that simply tries to hard to be "edgy". The gameplay is good at first, but becomes repetitive faster than a flash game, unacceptable from a modern AAA title. The rest is just a slow, agonizing de-construction of what made the original games (except for Devil May Cry 2) so "crazy" good. Expand
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies likePlayed DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3. Expand
  43. Jan 15, 2013
    The new DmC Devil may Cry is a reboot of the hit franchise of the same name. The game has had a massive controversy especially with media, and the developers blatantly insulting the fanbase just for criticizing the story, presentation, gameplay and of course its characters. But enough politics let us go to the game. The game is a huge stepback compared to the original games. Ninja TheoryThe new DmC Devil may Cry is a reboot of the hit franchise of the same name. The game has had a massive controversy especially with media, and the developers blatantly insulting the fanbase just for criticizing the story, presentation, gameplay and of course its characters. But enough politics let us go to the game. The game is a huge stepback compared to the original games. Ninja Theory seems to have considered the teens to pre teens when designing the gameplay mechanics with less styles, a botched up style system and less weapons. Instead of moving forward the game regresses in hopes of catching the casual crowd. The lack of a taunt and lock on hurts the overall experience since we are relegated to guessing our targets and in essence limits our options when fighting opponents. Coupled by the fact that Angel/Demon only enemies discourage variety (I'm red use demon, I'm blue use angel) of the already meager weapon selection. The game runs in Unreal 3 engine limiting its capabilities and in the PS3 version major drops in frames can be experienced. The environments are reach and colorful but overall as the game progresses it gets less inspiring and dull overtime. The tedious platforming is more emphasized than the action itself and we get less enemies per screen compared to the original games making it a sleeper compared to them. Finally we go to the story and characters. Dante's character is a big contradiction he tries to act tough and cool but winds up looking like a pre-teen brat while at the same time acting all noble and heroic there's a major desire by Ninja Theory to merge the original Dante with their own rendition and ends up backfiring by presenting us with a wannabe cool kid. Vergil suffers more as he gets little to no character development until the final part of the game that comes out of nowhere making it a spontaneous effort to set up for the DLC and/or the sequel. The story is also one big contradiction compared to the reality of the situation. DmC is a social commentary at how the world is run by demons just like "They Live" and the game blatantly says "Media brainwashes us they are bad" with Vergil posing as some guy for "Anonymous" (albeit without the Guy Fawkes mask) but then Capcom goes out of their way to use the same media they attack in game to demonize the fans. Don't believe me? Check out the Critic Reviews. It comes as unoriginal and contradictory. Overall I can say that the game would've been better had it not have the title Devil may Cry but as it doesn't live up to the very high standards the franchise has to offer I give it a 2/10. Collapse
  44. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reductionI'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reduction in the number of maneuvers possible. I hope they try to raise the bar with the combat in the inevitable sequel. Its certainly BETTER than what was in the demo, but thats not saying much. Its also better than NT's previous titles by a large margin so good on them. Heck I'd say its even better than God of War. But it absolutely does NOT deserve the Devil May Cry name. Those are massive boots to fill. MASSIVE. DMC started the 3D action genre in 2001. Its the only reason there was a market for **** games like Heavenly Sword. If you want to be the next DMC developer, you have to focus on the combat. Do whatever you want with the character design and story - I really don't care at the end of the day so long as the combat is world-class like previous titles. What we got instead was a generic light-heavy system that has plagued the genre for years due to mediocre game design and incompetent game developers. Expand
  45. Jan 15, 2013
    In terms of gameplay, I can't say much. It's pretty fast-paced and intense, I suppose, but I haven't played the other Devil May Cry games, and from what I've heard, the combat is comparatively watered-down, so I guess that makes it pretty disappointing. In terms of the story... it's my policy that the worst stories are not poorly paced or insulting, but offensive. And I have never seen aIn terms of gameplay, I can't say much. It's pretty fast-paced and intense, I suppose, but I haven't played the other Devil May Cry games, and from what I've heard, the combat is comparatively watered-down, so I guess that makes it pretty disappointing. In terms of the story... it's my policy that the worst stories are not poorly paced or insulting, but offensive. And I have never seen a more offensive game since Call of Juarez: The Cartel. I think this is even worse actually. The story seems to cater itself to make me like it, making what is practically Fox News the bad guy, and making references to "They Live," but it reaches a point in the story where they just cross the line. When they first alluded to what was going to happen, I thought it'd be interesting for Dante to reject that path, showing how he's better than the villain. I guess that was too sophisticated for him though, since by the end, I was cheering for Mundus. I don't want people to buy this game. It would send the wrong message to the industry. This game is offensive. I feel sick. Expand
  46. Jan 15, 2013
    There's is nothing that can be said that hasn't been already been said. The game, the studio, everything about this abortion of a 'wannabe cool', try hard game is disgusting and bad. I don't know why capcom re-booted the series when they could of made DMC5 which would have got them more praise and money. I guess the japanese are as dumb as the rest of the world.
  47. Jan 15, 2013
    It is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you canIt is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you can infinitely juggle an enemy in the air with the angel and demon grabs, not to mention that you get SSS almost immediately from any attack, and that the game lacks the lock on system necessary to aim attacks at enemies. The music tends to be obnoxious as well but thats subjective.
    However, while the story and gameplay are mediocre at best, it is still fun to hack and slash a bunch of demons, so its still earns itself some points
  48. Jan 15, 2013
    Very impressive game, one of the first reboots of a franchise that I have played and truly loved. I have been playing the Devil May Cry series since the first and I am impressed with Ninja Theory's vision and execution of ideas in this game. The art direction is fantastic, everything from character designs to environments look so unique. They have managed to take most aspects of what IVery impressive game, one of the first reboots of a franchise that I have played and truly loved. I have been playing the Devil May Cry series since the first and I am impressed with Ninja Theory's vision and execution of ideas in this game. The art direction is fantastic, everything from character designs to environments look so unique. They have managed to take most aspects of what I loved about previous games and apply there own unique vision which has resulted in a breath of fresh air in a series that I felt had become stale after the third entry in the series. The game play while it does feel different is still fast paced and incredibly fun. The story is also while not perfect is still a major step up from any other title in the series so far. The only negatives in my opinion would be the difficulty level which to me was to easy at the beginning (although harder difficulties do become available) and the boss fights which I found to to be less open and free then the rest of the game. 9/10

It really makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer when various others use sites like this to give completely inaccurate and biased reviews to to effect a games sales. People are perfectly entitled not to like a game but to put down a game of this quality just because it isn't the same as what came before is ridiculous. Most negative reviews from users that I have seen so far do not even give any constructive criticism and instead bash a game, a lot of them I can guarantee have never even played. A review is meant to be unbiased. You can't honestly say this game has no good aspects to it. People need to realize that change is good. It drives innovation, without it the industry would become even more saturated with clones of more successful games which has already occurred. Focusing entirely on the negatives without any positive input at all could possibly destroy a series not improve it. If people truly love a franchise and you want aspects of a particular game to be improved or changed this is the attitude we need to take.
  49. Jan 15, 2013
    DmC isn't terrible, but for all that the media and it's creator's have praised it's "Shakepearan story", and "gameplay as good as previous titles" it failed to deliver. The story and characters are dull, uninspired, and frustratingly generic, but in a DMC game, none of that is as important as the combat and gameplay mechanics. While the gameplay isn't bad, it's nowhere near DMC3 or 4'sDmC isn't terrible, but for all that the media and it's creator's have praised it's "Shakepearan story", and "gameplay as good as previous titles" it failed to deliver. The story and characters are dull, uninspired, and frustratingly generic, but in a DMC game, none of that is as important as the combat and gameplay mechanics. While the gameplay isn't bad, it's nowhere near DMC3 or 4's combat. Pulling combos in DmC felt slower, easier, and not as satisfying. Color coded enemies provided a challenge, but not a good one. It was tedious having to wear them down with one specific weapon, it wasn't a fun challenge to kill them, it was got very tiring very fast. A lot of the weapons feel unbalanced as well, while one may deal a large amount of damage, another seems completely pointless unless you're fighting one of the color coded enemies because of how little damage it does. The platforming was intrusive, and one of the things I disliked the most about the gameplay. At times, it felt like I was jumping around pulling steps out of the environment more than I was getting to fight, and that's not a good thing in an action game. I feel that a lock-on function would have helped immensely though, there were times were I couldn't see what I was aiming at, or wasn't able to tell what enemy I was pulling towards me. Lock-on could have made the game much less frustrating in that regard. Despite these things, the combat is alright. There are a good amount of combos and variety of moves, and some of the weapons are fun to play around with. There are a few enemies, and a couple of bosses that were fun fights as well, though I wish they were a bit more aggressive in attacking you.

The storyline is terribly dull and might have been interesting if I hadn't already seen "They Live" or if the characters weren't written to be so unlikable. Honestly, I had more interest and sympathy for the main villain than I did for our supposed "Hero" Dante was crass, rude, and at times outright cruel. There seems to have been very little effort put into the characters, even from the voice actors who slur their lines and don't sound like they're trying to put much emotion into their respective characters. Again, half the time the villains are more convincing characters than the heroes.

In all, the game doesn't play as well as we were promised, but it still plays like an average action game. It's solid, but doesn't really stand out as something new. The story isn't the "Shakespearean" narrative we were told it was either, and while a few rather horrid parts stick out to me, the outright dull and generic nature of the story makes it utterly forgettable. DmC is comfortably average in almost all aspects. Not bad, not great.
  50. Jan 15, 2013
    The reason for the bad review is not because of the character change or new artistic direction which every publication claims is the only thing fans have a problem with the reboot. Contrary to the reviews, the combat engine is shallow and stale compared to it's predecessors. Having 30 FPS in a hack and slash is just disgraceful. Sure the PC version will have it, but there's no excuse notThe reason for the bad review is not because of the character change or new artistic direction which every publication claims is the only thing fans have a problem with the reboot. Contrary to the reviews, the combat engine is shallow and stale compared to it's predecessors. Having 30 FPS in a hack and slash is just disgraceful. Sure the PC version will have it, but there's no excuse not to have it on consoles when the rest of the series was running that fast. The writing is juvenile, the voice acting is terrible instead of both being deliciously cheesy. I'm ashamed to see this game to be so gracefully accepted as anything more than mediocre. Expand
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    I was really excited for the game and even bought it on both platforms but it ended up being trash. I'd be surprised if I could even pay people to take these off my hands. I've never seen a game with more pathetically amateur writing, and the gameplay is slow and hamfisted. There's nothing good I can say about this.
  52. Jan 20, 2013
    to expensive... lame story, character voices 100% off ,soundtrack sux ,bosses not impressive and easy forgetable . monotonic levels, not many monsters to kill, Really anoying camera and no targetting system??? WTF CAPCOM
  53. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst game in the series by far. The gameplay is dumbed down, and Capcom paid off websites to give it good reviews. Between the horribly redesigned Dante, boring and tedious gameplay, and terrible story, this is a terrible reboot of a once-great franchise.
  54. Jan 15, 2013
    LOL @ all these people hating on the game because it's different. I've played all the DMC games and this one is one of the best. The combat is fluid, the story is fun - and don't even say it's edgy because of the dialogue. People in the real world don't speak in perfect dialogue all the time, every day. I hear curse, disgusting words around me all the time, every day. So why wouldn'tLOL @ all these people hating on the game because it's different. I've played all the DMC games and this one is one of the best. The combat is fluid, the story is fun - and don't even say it's edgy because of the dialogue. People in the real world don't speak in perfect dialogue all the time, every day. I hear curse, disgusting words around me all the time, every day. So why wouldn't an actual protagonist? Get real. Don't hate on the game just because it's not the old DMC. Give it a shot. Rock it out. Have fun. Don't listen to these haters. Expand
  55. Jan 15, 2013
    Pros:
    -The morphing environments in the first few levels are nice
    Cons: -Terrible, terrible soundtrack, except for a few tracks -Horrendous writing -Laughable dialogues -Incredibly shallow and annoying characters -Combat is a massive step-down from the earlier games of the series -Later levels feel uninspired -Pointless platforming sections -Extremely easy Don't let 'gaming
    Pros:
    -The morphing environments in the first few levels are nice

Cons:
    -Terrible, terrible soundtrack, except for a few tracks
    -Horrendous writing
    -Laughable dialogues
    -Incredibly shallow and annoying characters
    -Combat is a massive step-down from the earlier games of the series
    -Later levels feel uninspired
    -Pointless platforming sections
    -Extremely easy

Don't let 'gaming journalists' fool you, DmC: Devil may Cry is just a bad game.
  56. Jan 15, 2013
    Ninja Theory games are famous for their terrible writing. With the knowledge that Capcom tried to clean up the script after they saw how Ninja Theory botched the job like usual, I was expecting something a bit better. But it was still horrendously puerile tripe compared to the previous games, and that's saying something. People don't play DMC for the story, they play for the gameplay andNinja Theory games are famous for their terrible writing. With the knowledge that Capcom tried to clean up the script after they saw how Ninja Theory botched the job like usual, I was expecting something a bit better. But it was still horrendously puerile tripe compared to the previous games, and that's saying something. People don't play DMC for the story, they play for the gameplay and that is also where this reboot falls flat. They've actually regressed in terms of complexity. I'd rather take Nier, a game with meh combat and a great story/music, to this kind of monetized piece any day of the week. Expand
  57. Jan 16, 2013
    Calling Ninja Theory was a big mistake... I don`t feel an evolution in the franchise, and this is the fifth game of DMC. Less weapons than the previous games, with the same exact combos and they do exactly the same! WHY!? I know that Ninja Theory games don`t have good gameplay, but, come on! This is boring as hell! For being the 5th installment in the franchise, it should be better, butCalling Ninja Theory was a big mistake... I don`t feel an evolution in the franchise, and this is the fifth game of DMC. Less weapons than the previous games, with the same exact combos and they do exactly the same! WHY!? I know that Ninja Theory games don`t have good gameplay, but, come on! This is boring as hell! For being the 5th installment in the franchise, it should be better, but this is like a mediocre PS2 hack n´ slash before the first DMC existed. Also, because of the RED/BLUE enemies, you`re restricted to attack them with specific weapons, downgrading the deep in combat. Also, the lack of lock-on is annoying and sometimes the camera moves wherever it want. Textures pop-ups and bad shadows also make me thing I`m playing a 1990 game. Enviroments look great, not doubt about it, but just the first scenarios, the later ones look boring, like they get tired at the end. And speaking of the end, the ending is one of the worst ending in the history of gaming. Looks like a 12 years old boy wrote this story... Dialogue was horrible. New Dante is no more ssstylish. He is just an unlikable annoying douche... Vergil is predictable and Kat is just Kat... Boring gameplay, boring storytelling. This reboot was unnecessary... Expand
  58. Jan 15, 2013
    When we were kids, who played DMC series, we all dreamed of one day, if we could for just once, open a demon hunting shop, hunting demons ( Evils ) with styles by using creativity and wit so we can be cool. But the new kids who play DmC, they will all think dropping F bombs, bully fat guys, insulting people and being filthy and dirty are in terns of BEING COOL. Dante---a true hero who actsWhen we were kids, who played DMC series, we all dreamed of one day, if we could for just once, open a demon hunting shop, hunting demons ( Evils ) with styles by using creativity and wit so we can be cool. But the new kids who play DmC, they will all think dropping F bombs, bully fat guys, insulting people and being filthy and dirty are in terns of BEING COOL. Dante---a true hero who acts like he cares free but actually cares about humanity and friends around him with a kind heart. When people said demons never cry, he cried for friends and his family when no one can see it. Donte--- A FOUL LANGUAGE **** HOLE. Who even think he is the key of humanity. Expand
  59. Jan 16, 2013
    Pros: Fun, the only factor that truly matters in the end.

Cons: Doesn't fit source material, would have been better if the characters simply had different names to be a new IP rather than offend what it was supposed to be.

possible Pro or Con: Easy.
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    If you buy this game, you are endorsing that this type of game is okay to develop and sell. Make a stand and make sure that Capcom sees as little money from this game as possible. RIP Great Series.
  61. Jan 15, 2013
    Alright so there really is a whole lot to address in a very small area... Some people claim that the combat is better because its easier to pull off crazy combos I completely disagree I think the game needed to keep its difficulty. I feel this game is more geared towards younger kids because of the dark and edgy emoy look of Dante i mean i understand this is a reboot but you can't justAlright so there really is a whole lot to address in a very small area... Some people claim that the combat is better because its easier to pull off crazy combos I completely disagree I think the game needed to keep its difficulty. I feel this game is more geared towards younger kids because of the dark and edgy emoy look of Dante i mean i understand this is a reboot but you can't just take a character self insert the developer into the game and call it good character design.... The game is bland the environments all are basically the same they aren't really gothic style like the first few games which i really enjoyed it was almost artistic. I have to admit sometimes change is a good thing but... With DmC it doesn't feel like a good thing... If your going to change something and develop new content it needs to keep its old shine or it needs to be BETTER then the original and DmC Isn't either. I mean I would rather them have taken all their ideas and put them into a game and called it something else and it would have been mediocre at best still... But to slap DmC's name onto it... they're practically ruining an outstanding franchise that had million of fans and just pooing all over them and what they like and what they think is cool for something that the developers think is cool. In my opinion i believe its the thoughts and beliefs of the customers that should come first and honestly some of us hardcore DMC fans have complained about the new designs for months and it seems as though ninja theory strongly believes that his opinion is more important lol. All in all if this had been a new game without the DmC name it still would have been a mediocre game, but because they put the DmC name on it they have a standard of quality they need to upkeep and honestly it was obtained... I returned this game literally 5 hours after i bought it... waste of time. Expand
  62. Jan 17, 2013
    Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Combat is totally basic, even a child can play it and go carnage, but does a child actually knows anything bout gameplay? The lack of Lock On is terrible, basicly you'll hit what the game WANTS you to hit, not what you do, the moves are also few, they might look like a lot, yet it might be even less than Nero had back at DMC4' time. Enemies are few, you'll face the chainsaw dudes and the flying babies to everywhere, and the other enemies are pretty much derived versions of them. The bosses here are pathetic, they're slow and predictable, but not in the usual way, you just know what they gonna do before they actually do it, a terrible thing for an action game. Guns are useless, just to say, the sole reason you can't go single move spam with whatever weapon is that some enemies requires a certain weapon to be defeated... A totally lame thing for an action game.

So far the game gave me no reason to thing it is good, I saw a total noob playing and in less than 15 minutes he totally owned the three first missions without a single retry, he just got there and destroyed everything without problem...

And now for the story... Just think about a hollywood movie, there' DmC for you, there is NOTHING original there, everything has been done before and will be done again, the cutscenes are just useless, they don't give you important information, or awesome moments, it is just a sequence, usually long and pointless, you know what will happen when you see it, 'cause it has been used many many times already... Shakespearean story? Shakespeare would laugh at it...

Want to play it? You'll waste your time, get Anarchy Reins or even better, wait for Metal Gear Rising.
  63. Jan 15, 2013
    I can cope with dante's new looks but vergil's face ..... Oh ..it's just unacceptable If you even played one of the previous games except the second one you dont want to ruin your memories by playing this **** ... job well done....thank you capcom for ruining another one.
  64. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll be short: Gameplay is a big step down from DMC 3/4, its been casualised so anyone can achieve SSS with a couple of combos it actually is more akin to God of War than Devil May Cry.

Platforming is boring and way too much, bosses are the whole game in general are super easy, the story is a rip-off of "They Live" and in one cutscene a major character shoots a pregnant woman. Music is horrible dubstep but if you like that kind of thing then good for you.

The scenarios are cool and very creative but thats about the only thing good in this game. As a stand alone game I would give it a 6/10 but as a Devil May Cry game is a gigantic step back.
  65. Jan 15, 2013
    Shakesperean story. A tragic tale of demons, angels, edgy developers and dead fetuses. With an outstanding 30 fps, no lock on, easy grappling and shady AI, the game gives beginners the chance to rock like a pro without having to learn anything. Grab the stick and before you realize you will be screaming **** YOU too like your favorite hero, XXXDONTETHEDEMONKILLAH420XXX. Dont listen toShakesperean story. A tragic tale of demons, angels, edgy developers and dead fetuses. With an outstanding 30 fps, no lock on, easy grappling and shady AI, the game gives beginners the chance to rock like a pro without having to learn anything. Grab the stick and before you realize you will be screaming **** YOU too like your favorite hero, XXXDONTETHEDEMONKILLAH420XXX. Dont listen to "fake reviews", buy them game now. Expand
  66. Jan 15, 2013
    A soulless God of War clone, unchallenging one button action, terrible characters and dialogue. Some interesting art direction but doesn't get incorporated into any interesting gameplay. Don't believe the scandalous array of 'professional' critics who have whored themselves out. Or the numerous fake 10/10 user reviews where they have reviewed zero other games or - shock horror - otherA soulless God of War clone, unchallenging one button action, terrible characters and dialogue. Some interesting art direction but doesn't get incorporated into any interesting gameplay. Don't believe the scandalous array of 'professional' critics who have whored themselves out. Or the numerous fake 10/10 user reviews where they have reviewed zero other games or - shock horror - other Ninja Theory games with glowing praise. This game and the fake marketing just reeks of s%%t Expand
  67. Jan 16, 2013
    Let me start off by saying that this is not a "bad game" really. It's a mediocre action-platformer with nice environments. The problem is, while it may have been a solid 6, maybe 7 if it had been released as an original IP.

The problem is, they didn't. They released it as a Devil May Cry game, which quite frankly is held to a much higher bar than this game was. The combat is shallow, the dialogue is atrocious and sounds like something an edgy teenager would post on his social media. They told us over and over that this game had SHAKESPEAREAN writing, was far better than any of the previous games, that this game would save the series. Which is odd, considering that over seven million copies of DMC4 were sold, making it the 11th best-selling game of all time, not even counting the PC sales. In addition, the fans of the previous games were blatantly mocked for liking the previous games, being told that we are "entitled" and "not cool".

I won't go into the whole thing about Dante's looks. It's been discussed to death and not really why anybody is angry at this game. The problem lies in the mechanics and gameplay of the game.

1.) The difficulty is effectively gone. It used to be that the game pushed you to your limits, regardless of which difficulty you were on. It was tough, but rewarding; achieving SSS was difficult to both obtain, and maintain. In the new entry, you can reach SSS in a single blow, and so long as you are not struck, you will keep it. Difficulty does not change this; all it changes are health/damage numbers and spawn locations. There is no reason to master the system outside of beating the final boss.

2.) The game runs at 30 frames per second. Normally this is not an issue, nor does it concern me. The problem here is that DmC is a game that relies on reflexes, combos, etc. At times, it struggles with even 30, despite the limited number of enemies actually present in combat at any given time. This is due to the aging engine that the developers insisted on using, not normally used for an action game requiring high-speed input and reaction.

3.) Styles have been completely abandoned. They were ways to customize your character even more, to suit your playstyle; whether it was a focus on firearms, melee combat, blocking, dodging, etc. This provided the game with a great deal of replayability, and holds up as a fine combat system to this day.

4.) Weaponswitching is now gone. Instead of a large arsenal of exchangable weapons, we get a small selection of weapons that we may not deviate from. To add to this problem, later in the game you may not even kill enemies the way you want. There are enemies present in the game that can only be killed with specific weapons; the rest will deal no damage to that target. This removes choice and replayability from the game, and makes combat in later levels a chore. The game even features ground tiles that will damage you if you don't have the proper weapon equipped, essentially removing freedom from several game sections.

5.) Bosses are easy. Before, they were designed to make you think on your feet, to use all that you'd learned up until that point, to force you to grow as a player. In DmC, they are about pattern recognition and performing the same monotonous movements again and again. They're also constantly interrupted by cutscenes, serving to break up the flow of combat (almost always unnecessarily.)

We wanted to like this game. We really did. But every single thing DmC does, a previous DMC does better, and at a better framerate. None of the themes present in the previous games are present in this one, instead opting for heavy-handed sexual and "fight the man" themes, punctuated with constant, unnecessary profanity.

Again, this game was not a bad game. It was a mediocre action-platformer with good environments. But it claims the name of Devil May Cry, a high standard which it falls very, very short of. If you have never played a Devil May Cry game before, this may entertain you if you can get past the juvenile characterization. If you are a fan, then this game will likely leave you sobbing in the corner.
  68. Jan 16, 2013
    While the original series could be easily considered a classic, the recent reboot of the DmC series by Ninja Theory is anything but good. Mediocre gameplay combined with a drastically changed look and an unfavourable character makes this piece quite possibly the worst in its series.
  69. Jan 16, 2013
    Do not listen to the critics when they say its a 10/10 game. this is a very boring game with noting to remember it by but how bad it is. Critics think they speak for everyone when they rate a game, but really they speak only from the ignorance from them selves when they try promote a game to be what it is not, and this game is teenage junk.
  70. Jan 16, 2013
    Do not listen to payed review sites this is the worse DmC ever created. The game is shallow with repetitive combat and with a lame story for 15 year olds.
  71. Jan 15, 2013
    Great improvement to a mediocre series. Character is a lot more interesting instead of being one gigantic anime joke. Cheesy bits are obvious throwbacks instead of just the writing. Combat is more fluid and varied than 4 even, though the later enemies aren't as interesting.
  72. Jan 15, 2013
    I will try to take every single detail into account while writing this review. Hokai here it goes:
    Let it be known that I have been a faithful Devil May Cry fan since the original one came out on the PS2. I have played every single DMC game and I have watched every episode of the animated series. At first I rejected this game because it was not the Dante I knew and loved. But as I played the first few missions, a new admiration overcame me. This new Dante is just as bad ass as the original. Sure he's more sexual and has a different look, but he has the same "whatever" badass attitude that we've come to love. The cast of characters isn't as great as Arkham, Lady, Jester and the rest from DMC 3, but they're similar in magnitude. The new Vergil is pretty cool and he did not deceive me for a second. You have to also accept the fact that this game is WAY BETTER than DMC 4. DMC 4 was the worst Devil May Cry game that I have ever played. The first half was amazing, but then the second half had the exact same missions in the exact same areas, with the EXACT SAME BOSSES. This game has a great story backed up with amazing levels that are visually stunning. The "flashback" environments with the gigantic chained statue or the way the world crumbles and changes as Dante is sucked into Limbo are amazing. The combat is still reminiscent of the original. The Style ratings are still there, thank god. And it's just pure fun. There's no complicated sword charging like in DMC 4 and you can keep a combo flowing for virtually minutes if you've got the skill for it. I personally would have preferred if they included more weapons like in DMC 3, but whatever I'm good with this. Overall, it does not beat DMC 3, the shining beacon of hope for games like these, but it is an AMAZING game. DEFINITELY BETTER THAN DMC 4 AND 2. You can see that Ninja Theory really poured their heart out into this and really tried hard.
  73. Jan 15, 2013
    Please do not believe all the people who hate this game on principle. This is a fantastic game that entitled fans of the prior series want to see fail.

Having that out of the way as someone who's played and enjoyed every DMC other than 2, I can say with no doubt that this is a well crafted game and more than worthy of the title Devil May Cry.
  74. Jan 15, 2013
    I only needed to play the demo and look at the cutscenes on youtube to know this game is complete garbage.
  75. Jan 17, 2013
    Appallingly mediocre in every aspect. Everything from the sophomoric storyline to the painfully repetitive button mashing combat is a disappointment. The atmosphere of fun that has characterized the Devil May Cry series is gone, replaced by the same grimgritty slosh that has completely destroyed modern FPS games. If you are a 12 year old boy who has just discovered video games and theAppallingly mediocre in every aspect. Everything from the sophomoric storyline to the painfully repetitive button mashing combat is a disappointment. The atmosphere of fun that has characterized the Devil May Cry series is gone, replaced by the same grimgritty slosh that has completely destroyed modern FPS games. If you are a 12 year old boy who has just discovered video games and the F-word and thinks rifle abortions are in no way horribly offensive, then this game is for you Expand
  76. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm torn here:

I'm torn here:

First of all, the story, dialogue, and acting are all just terrible. Whether the fault of the director, the actors, or whatever; In the end it comes down to how badly the final product reeks. Everything's stale, we never learn anything about the characters and none of it impacts the story beyond how many quips the writers can shove into a given scene. It really looks like the amazing motion capture technology hampered the team, because the ingame cutscenes come off as weird, stale, and mechanical. Top that off with strange Pro-Anarchy nonsense in a script that plays its convictions straight and expects us to take them seriously, and the story's like a perfect storm of immature garbage all coming together to appear entirely unintentional in its childish petulance. I really expected Dante to scream, "I HATE YOU DAD!" somewhere along the line.

In all other categories, the previous user reviews hit the nail on the head. Gameplay's solid enough for a 2007 game, but by today's standards it's lukewarm at best. if you're a fan of advanced play in DMC 3 and 4, you'll know right off the bat that Team Ninja had no clue of the series' underlying systems. No move cancels, no combination moves leading from weapon to weapon or gun to gun, juggling manages to feel boring, and traversing environments even gets tiresome after the ground splits open for the 20th time in four levels. That really happens in every single stage; The ground just opens up like we're watching 2012's big opening scene, over and over, while the very walls seem angsty enough to write words on themselves in big white bolded print, mesmerizing us with gems like "DIE," and "KILL DANTE." I counted "DIE" at least five times, and I don't care to count again. It's that bad.

Shame that I have to list all of these negative points, too, because inside a thick, viscous cesspool of slop is a pretty alright game. The animations are fluid, the environments are all individually gorgeous despite sticking rigidly to the tired Orange and Blue setup for every single level, and in technical aspects it works flawlessly. However, clearly when a review mentions that the game functions well, as all games should, the reviewer has hit the bottom of the barrel searching for good things to say. I really have, and during my playtime I found myself grasping at the same straws for positivity. At the end credits I found myself feeling sorry for every name onscreen.

DmC is a passable game at its core, with admirable and successful technical work behind it, but whatever the reason, its negatives far outweigh any positives, to the point that thinking about the game puts a frown on my face and a roll in my eyes. Yuck.
  77. Jan 15, 2013
    I came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hardI came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hard lock-on means you will be constantly attacking enemies you did not want to attack and your move set is much smaller than previous games. The styles meter is now damage based, which means you can spam the same move over and over to reach SSS rank. Finally series staples much as taunting and styles have been removed. Everything they have done to this game is a step back from previous games, every previous Devil May Cry game has added features and built upon previous games, while this game removes features and adds nothing of value.

TLDR: The game is a piece of garbage that's worse than Devil May Cry 2 save yourself $60 and don't buy it.
  78. Jan 17, 2013
    Bloody 5000 character cap...

Bloody 5000 character cap...

So I guess I'm going to keep this short. Let's just get one thing straight, though. If this weren't connected to DMC in any way, shape or form (which wouldn't be much, considering all one would have to do is change the name of the game and the characters), this could be an average hack n slash. There is SOME fun in the gameplay to be had. But that's the thing. This IS a DMC game, and it should be treated as such. And reviewed as such.

The Gameplay, while it allows you to switch all weapons on the fly, simply doesn't have the same depth and fluidity of the previous games (even DMC3 and 4). Controls are convoluted (two dodge buttons, people, and neading to hold one of 2 buttons just to have a certain "stance), but the game is surprisingly easy (even on the hardest difficulty out of the box). Enemies are slow reacting idiots with pathetically easy to telegraph attacks, and only (marginally) pose a challenge when they are enemy types that HAVE to be killed off through specific weapons, forcing you to change your attack pattern against your leisure (this wasn't the case in previous games, as you could fight what you wanted, with whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted). Combos are relatively shallow, and half of the moves presented can be made entirely useless with a few select moves that can skyrocket the style meter (that will NEVER DROP unless you take a hit) while dealing maximum damage. Bosses are no better, and most of them can be beaten through set patterns, which would also deal maximum damage and skyrocket the style meter. Any difficulty the game has is through fake difficulty of fighting the free-form camera and through the "kill enemy X with specific weapon type" system they have in place, and not through intelligent and aggressive foes.

Let's not even talk about the various glitches in the game, and the obvious graphical and framerate issues due to the over-done and poorly used Unreal Engine 3...

Platforming segments are interesting, but can get boring really fast, especially considering the only "threat" you will face in these segments is missing a jump to a bottomless pit (which only takes away a small portion of your health, hardly punishing to the player). The "Run segments" have a false sense of urgency and only really operate through animation triggers (timed and tripped), and also have the problem of being to lenient if you "fail" (which is nigh-impossible to do). Environments CAN be pretty, but the art direction of the game to make it grungy and dirty kind of ruins the appeal to the more ethereal look to some of the stages.

The game, in of itself, is VERY manipulative and hardly offers the player the room to be creative, instead opting to string the player along very linear segments most of the time, while also placing previously mentioned enemies that can only be killed via certain weapons and methods. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but when you advertise a game that is SUPPOSED to endorse player creativity in game, it becomes a direct contradiction.

While SOME fun can be had in the game, as mentioned before, it's repetitive and manipulative nature can in turn make things become alot more dull. Speaking of which, rewards for accomplishing usually more difficult tasks becomes painstakingly underwhelming when you (very quickly) figure out the nuances of the game. SSS ranks become easy, finding keys to secret doors becomes a chore, secret missions are generally easy, getting 100% completion in every mission (after acquiring certain weapons and skills to open certain doors and passages in previous levels that were initially impossible to pass) becomes more busywork for achievements/trophies than any real satisfaction.

Let's talk about the story and dialog that Ninja Theory has been praised for in Heavenly Sword or Enslaved. If you liked the stories in those games, you will be SORELY disappointed with this one. The dialog stinks of a 13 year old mindset that just discovered cuss words and vulgarity, and when it's not being as raunchy as possible, it feels stilted and rather bland. The story itself, due to poorly written character interactions and the ludicrous amount of plot holes in this game alone, is a fest of cliches and cultural references that are supposed to be taken seriously. Top that off with the constant vulgarity, and you have this piss poor story. You can argue that DMC games never had great stories to begin with, but when one of the developers strong suits is SUPPOSED to be the story, and it ends up like it is, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong. Over all, if you are a self-respecting DMC fan, don't buy this game new. I'd suggest not to play it at all, but morbid curiosity get's the best of all of us. As for newcomers, DMC4 is available at bargain prices, and is a good place to start in the series for gameplay and lore alone. If you are a general fan of hack n slash, borrow, rent, or get it used at your own discretion.
  79. Jan 17, 2013
    I have played the game, at a friend's house. And it's really embarrassing and awful. The dialogue sounds like something an "edgy" 13 year old wrote, the combat has been dumbed down from previous installments, and Dante just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I loved the original DMC so it's pretty sad to see the direction it went in, but hey, which game franchise HASN'T been altered recently?I have played the game, at a friend's house. And it's really embarrassing and awful. The dialogue sounds like something an "edgy" 13 year old wrote, the combat has been dumbed down from previous installments, and Dante just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I loved the original DMC so it's pretty sad to see the direction it went in, but hey, which game franchise HASN'T been altered recently? There's not much you can do when the casual gamer crowd outsells the hardcore gamer crowd. I'll just stick to playing games on my PS2. Oh and another thing, Ninja Theory publicly mocked its "fans" so they're not going to be getting my money, end of story. Expand
  80. Jan 23, 2013
    Why no lock-on, why?!
    I've played two missions and can't continue playing, give us the lock-on and the game will be Great!
  81. Jan 18, 2013
    What in the world is this. we've come from witty banter with bosses to "**** you!" and writing so bad it makes my sister's fanfics look like masterpieces, from the cool combat with crazy 60fps combos to boring 30fps combat.. and all the critics give it positive reviews. and the *****damn platforming?!
    why is it even there?!
    so we're giving games that devolve high scores now?! to my
    why is it even there?!

so we're giving games that devolve high scores now?!

to my sister who bought me this game. thanks i love you and all but.. im gonna put this **** in the trash where it belongs.
  82. Jan 15, 2013
    It's obvious that the developers had no respect for fans. The game is also buggy as hell and the style system is broken. See YouTube videos to verify both of those claims.
  83. Jan 15, 2013
    Before starting, I would like to make it clear that my negative view is based on how the game stands on it's own. I am not comparing it to the other entries in the series, as it is a reboot. The most important element of any game is how it plays, the mechanics. In this regard DmC not only fails to innovate in it's genre, but does so with a shining display of mediocrity. Even God of War'sBefore starting, I would like to make it clear that my negative view is based on how the game stands on it's own. I am not comparing it to the other entries in the series, as it is a reboot. The most important element of any game is how it plays, the mechanics. In this regard DmC not only fails to innovate in it's genre, but does so with a shining display of mediocrity. Even God of War's simplistic square and triangle mashing combat gives more to appreciate with it's quality of production. The combo system in DmC gives the player little room to improve throughout the game, and is easily exploited by the player to effortlessly dispatch opponents making for a rather dull experience. New weapons found throughout the game provide little to the experience, and absolutely nothing that we've not seen (and grown tired of) in the genre. Input of moves feels clunky, and this is made even worse by the unacceptable frame rate. Supporting it's sluggish, thoughtless mechanics is a narrative so laughably dreadful I cannot comprehend how it made it into the final product. I would expect such pretentious drivel from the scrawling of an angst-ridden teenage girl, but not from a project with multi-million dollar backing. It's 'They Live' with demon's in place of aliens. The characters have very little depth of personality and barely qualify as anything more than cliché and plot device. Not to mention the moronic, testosterone fueled dialogue meant to entrance the player with some sort of immature power fantasy.

Everything else about the game is acceptable, but nothing special. You won't be moved by the visuals or the music, but you won't be offended either. In two words, the game is pretentious and mediocre. I find that the best thing this game does is to highlight just how low the standards of video game 'journalism' have fallen.
  84. Jan 15, 2013
    It's bad. Seriously, it's really bad. My biggest gripe is actually with the combat which most reviews seem to think is the game's only saving grace. It's slow, clunky, and often times completely unresponsive. Weapons are weak to utterly useless and you can get an "S" or "SS" ranking from mashing the same combo over and over again (even on higher difficulties). While I'd expect a DMC storyIt's bad. Seriously, it's really bad. My biggest gripe is actually with the combat which most reviews seem to think is the game's only saving grace. It's slow, clunky, and often times completely unresponsive. Weapons are weak to utterly useless and you can get an "S" or "SS" ranking from mashing the same combo over and over again (even on higher difficulties). While I'd expect a DMC story to not be that well written, the dialogue and substance in this game is pointlessly vulgar and relies on far too much shock value. Dante is one of the most unlikable protagonists to come out of gaming in a very long time as well. As for the "amazing" environments... you'll find yourself wondering if the screenshots we've seen over the past months came from the same game. I was willing to give this a shot. I really was. I played the game all the way through but about half way I was just playing to TRY and get my money's worth at that point. If I can spare anyone the pain of even renting this garbage than writing this review will be worth it. I'm returning this filth as soon as I wrap this up. Thanks Ninja Theory. Thanks a lot. Expand
  85. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, let's get something straight. I was completely fine with the redesign of Dante, I even welcomed it. I thought that the look of the characters wouldn't matter and that the gameplay is what really matters. Then the demo came out, and I immediately started to dislike Dante. There is not one likable thing about him. But the characters don't matter, as long is the gameplay is good. However, the gameplay is just as unlikable as the character. The controls are awkward, and combat is designed to cater to the type of players that don't want to actually play a game but rather just look cool while button mashing, guns are useless, and the moveset is extremely limited. The gameplay feels like it was tacked on as an afterthought. The platforming is uninspired and gets boring really quickly. The environments are really good at first, but get really dull only a couple of missions in the game. But that's not even the worst thing about this game. The story, which is claimed to be 'Shakespearean' and could 'rival the best that film has to offer' is nothing more than bad fanfiction written by the quiet edgy kid that you knew in high school. A generic 'Government is evil, fight the man!' plot with obvious plays on Anonymous and Fox news that also has magical spray cans filled with squirrel semen, **** YOU' battles with a giant worm-like succubus, and sniper rifle abortions. Yes, that's right, sniper rifle abortions. There's a scene in which one of the protagonists, Vergil, shoots a pregnant Lilith in her womb, lets her realize what he's done, and then kills her, while holding a smile the whole time. As if this wasn't bad enough, Dante even tells Mundus, the childs father, that he enjoyed watching the wet chunks fall. This isn't badass, it's incredibly disturbing and makes me seriously wonder what the **** is going on in the writers head. The voice acting in this game is mediocre at best. I never felt any kind of emotion come from the characters. They always seemed uninspired and just plain bored. Also, the music choice was not the best. I don't know whose idea it was to put dubstep in this game, but it was a terrible idea. Dubstep does not fit in any video games besides Beat Hazard or something like it. TLDR: The characters are bad, the story is bad, gameplay is bad, and the music is bad. I feel really generous giving this game a 3/10. I would not recommend this to anybody that enjoys having fun. Unless you're a die-hard DMC fan and just NEED to own every game in the series, then stay away from this. Expand
  86. Jan 15, 2013
    The Game is absolute garbage son, it is by far the most simple, easy, casual entry in the Devil May Cry series. It also doesn't even run at 60 FPS, it's locked at 30, what the hell is that **** son? This is an action game for **** sake. Terrible, generic "EVIL MEDIA" story, and even worse writing and character dialogue, I cringed every time someone would open their mouth. Character andThe Game is absolute garbage son, it is by far the most simple, easy, casual entry in the Devil May Cry series. It also doesn't even run at 60 FPS, it's locked at 30, what the hell is that **** son? This is an action game for **** sake. Terrible, generic "EVIL MEDIA" story, and even worse writing and character dialogue, I cringed every time someone would open their mouth. Character and enemy designs are very poor and unoriginal. while the Devil May Cry series has always been very linear, DmC takes it to a whole new height, even beating Final Fantasy 13 in this department.

This game is a slap in the face of anyone ever played and enjoyed a previous Devil May Cry game, and insulting to the intelligence of any newcomers to the series. Do not buy this game and support the outsourcing of key Capcom franchises to fourth rate Western studios.
  87. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a really, really bad game. The framerate tanks constantly for no discernible reason, the enemies just stand around waiting for you to kill them, and the bosses have a grand total of about 2 attacks each. If you want a generic bad action game on the same level as Dante's Inferno, this is the game for you! If you want an actual good action game, Grab DMC4, the HD collection, or Bayonetta.
  88. Jan 15, 2013
    I dislike this game because, it's too much different from the previous titles and it's different in a bad way. I am totally shocked how they changed the main character, and casualised the gameplay. I do believe it could've been a good game if it had a different name, but as a DMC game it's a total disaster. nuclear waste esperava que respeitasse os fâs
  89. Jan 15, 2013
    Definitely worst in the series - I can cancelled my pre-order after playing the demo. Combat sucks and the lack of creativity hispter much? Anyway don't waste your money and buy this crap unless you are a hispter.
  90. Jan 16, 2013
    a complete mess of a DMC game.. not even a decent action game for that matter.. looking at it as its own, game lacks many functions to be considered enjoyable.. i mean its a bit jaggy on the ps3, super easy with auto-win button, infinite air grab, and redundant weapons like the guns and angel weapons.. comparing it to DMC is another thing; platforming is outta nowhere, removal of styles,a complete mess of a DMC game.. not even a decent action game for that matter.. looking at it as its own, game lacks many functions to be considered enjoyable.. i mean its a bit jaggy on the ps3, super easy with auto-win button, infinite air grab, and redundant weapons like the guns and angel weapons.. comparing it to DMC is another thing; platforming is outta nowhere, removal of styles, easy SSS, removal of lock-on.. granted the only saving grace is the level design which looks cool honestly.. story of a horrible rehash of the original, only more in-depth and in result more corny.. DMC series was built upon parodies when it comes to stories, so taking a game like this seriously is the recipe of disaster. doesn't help that Dante and Kat are unlikable, so is Vergil and Mundus for that matter.. the Dialogue is the baddest thing about this game, childish profanity and corny lines just makes you cringe at every moment where there's a cut-scene.. speaking of which cut-scenes are unskippable here, and some happen mid boss-battle.. so in conclusion save your dollars for something better coming out this year(like Metal Gear Rising, GOW: Ascension, and Lords of Shadow 2); there are many action games worth the purchase.. and if you are really into DMC, i'd suggest the HD collection of DMC4 again..

+good level design

-corny and cheesy storyline
    -removal of lock on and styles
    -enemies barely attack you
    -broken devil weapons and infinite air grabs
    -SSS achieved easily
    -ebony and ivory plus the angel weapons are very weak
    -no reason for platforming
    -childish and corny dialogue
    -unlikable protagonist
    -unskippable cutscenes
    -cutscenes during boss battles
  91. Jan 20, 2013
    Well, this isnt Devil May Cry. Its the pathetic trial of the lead Artist to put himself into a game as the baddest of all badasses - and what should say - he fails.

What people dont understand when whining about 0 scores is, that we arent judging the game by itself, we are comparing it to the Dante who was and is one of the view Paragons of manlyness and with him the game falls and stands.
  92. Jan 16, 2013
    Gameplay is simpler.
    Gameplay is easier.
    The Story has shameful characters.
    The Graphics are ok, as the music style. But these 2 elements just can't save the game.
  93. Jan 20, 2013
    if you buy this you should check your doctor ASAP. your IQ went negative ! the devil won't cry but you will, when you see you money wasted on a piece of **** that is what it is!
  94. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is extremely mediocre. Combat consists of mashing two buttons to flail randomly in the air. Enemies rarely move or attack, and even more so for the bosses who are all very easy even on the hardest difficulty. Also the controls are not very good or precise.
    There are tons of boring platforming segments to pad the game with artificial length and difficulty. The voice acting is very poor in general. The game's dialog is very bad and has far too much fowl language. Many times, I feel that the game is trying far too hard to be hip and edgy which nauseates me. The game's moving/changing environments are very boring since they do not affect the gameplay and only add sub-par platforming segments. Also the story is very boring and generally bad.
  95. Jan 15, 2013
    As god is my witness, this game's the height of perfection. Instead of a once ugly duckling Dante with old white grandpa hair, we now have a beautiful brunette swan. Thanks to Capcom for truly reaching the pinnacle of utter perfection with this absolute masterpiece of a game. I've already taken my copies of DMC, DMC2, DMC3, and DMC4, put them in the trash, and now DmC, Ninja Theory'sAs god is my witness, this game's the height of perfection. Instead of a once ugly duckling Dante with old white grandpa hair, we now have a beautiful brunette swan. Thanks to Capcom for truly reaching the pinnacle of utter perfection with this absolute masterpiece of a game. I've already taken my copies of DMC, DMC2, DMC3, and DMC4, put them in the trash, and now DmC, Ninja Theory's stupendous reboot, sits upon the gaming throne in this hardcore gamer's domain. Expand
  96. Jan 16, 2013
    Okay, first off, I guarantee you that the low user score is completely unbalanced, because half the bad reviews give it a zero, meaning that there's no redeeming qualities at all, yet they admit stuff that's good. Long story short, fan boys are **** and they think that spamming this page with bad scores will make a difference. Here's a completely honest review, all feelings aside. ThisOkay, first off, I guarantee you that the low user score is completely unbalanced, because half the bad reviews give it a zero, meaning that there's no redeeming qualities at all, yet they admit stuff that's good. Long story short, fan boys are **** and they think that spamming this page with bad scores will make a difference. Here's a completely honest review, all feelings aside. This game has amazing production values. Fluid animations, great motion-capture acting, amazing art direction, great characterization, etc. Pretty much everything visually is perfect, frame rates aside. Story is great for me, but some have issues with it. The only real flaw I can give for this game is the surprisingly simple boss fights. Not that they are easy, but that they lack intellectual challenge, in that for the most part you just dodge the attack, then hit the glowing part. Which is a shame, because these bosses are some of the most unique visually I've ever faced, Bob Barbas being the most memorable boss I've faced in years. Now as far as combat goes, its more accessible and less complex than previous DMC games, and for me, that's perfect, but if your a die-hard DMC fan, you might have issue with it, claiming that this game has been dumbed down for noobs. More accessible doesn't mean its dumbed down, it just means that people with less dexterity can have fun. Point is, unless your a die-hard fan of the first 4, or just not a fan of hack n slash, then this game will definitely entertain. New Dante has all the **** and one liners of before, and since he has some actual scenes to be characterized, hes much more relate-able and likable, rather than a matrixy bad-ass whose too high above us for us to feel connected to him. Forget the fanboys bringing down the score, just read the reviews and see if you find anything you like Expand
  97. Mar 12, 2013
    Look whatever im gonna say isnt gonna change these crazy DMC fan's mind. Like im a fan of the old and new Dante, and i actually enjoy this new take but people dont seem to have the mind to be able to move on.. Heck i can even relate myself to this NEW dante. People are so fond of this fictional character and would even blow on an ACTUAL good game like this? People are hating on this cuzLook whatever im gonna say isnt gonna change these crazy DMC fan's mind. Like im a fan of the old and new Dante, and i actually enjoy this new take but people dont seem to have the mind to be able to move on.. Heck i can even relate myself to this NEW dante. People are so fond of this fictional character and would even blow on an ACTUAL good game like this? People are hating on this cuz its too easy to get a SSS or no lock on or something, its a freaken hack and slash game, no matter what the purpose of that genre is for you to kill a bunch of pile of Need a challenge? Play Dante must die and feel satisfied but honestly this game deserves more .....10/10 Expand
  98. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Characters:
    Dante - First of all - The new Dante starts his day by getting drunk and **** two whores. If you played any other game, you will see how the old one is starting the game. Dick jokes. Everyone is saying how both Dantes are using cheesy jokes. But the new Dante hardly has a sense of humor and when he jokes, he is doing it like a douche. He will never miss the chance to drop the f bomb and his obsession with Kat is simply annoying. He is not stylish like his predecessor who likes to ride rockets and drive Harley on vertical walls. Instead of being an anti-hero, Ninja Theory made a rebellious emotional teen.
    Virgil - He was a super bad ass in the previous games. He defeated Dante on several accusations. And now he was staying in his basement plotting and hacking the whole time. In mission 19 he looked just silly.
    Kat - While useful character she had no character depth ( beside the cliche stuff about her past en **** I am telling this because she was heavily dependant on either Dante or Virgil (not making any decisions of her own whatsoever.).
    Mundus - The lord of hell. The lord of hell who can destroy a whole city with one outburst is controlling the world through dept? And giving two turtle ****s about his hair? Was he sick or something? NO BECAUSE HE IS **** IMMORTAL!

Story - This trend about making stuff about "real world problems" is just sick...leave video games alone god damn it. Movies, music and documentary films are enough as it is.

Combat system - I played the game on Nephilim and I dont plan on playing on harder modes since I dont plantouching the game again. While visual appealing, the combat system does not have dept either. I am saying this because I can make ss and sss by simply pressing one button. If you involve more buttons you are making things easier. No lock on target system which leads to frustrations from time to time.

On disc DLC - yeah.
  99. Jan 30, 2013
    The game is a crappy EMO Piece of **** of a game with a crappy game-play and ****ty frame-rates. this game is made to cater to lonely wrist- cutting EMO'S who loves twilight................AND THIS GAME IS TOO KIDDY!!!!!
  100. Jan 15, 2013

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.