5.2

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Bloody 5000 character cap...

Bloody 5000 character cap...

So I guess I'm going to keep this short. Let's just get one thing straight, though. If this weren't connected to DMC in any way, shape or form (which wouldn't be much, considering all one would have to do is change the name of the game and the characters), this could be an average hack n slash. There is SOME fun in the gameplay to be had. But that's the thing. This IS a DMC game, and it should be treated as such. And reviewed as such.

The Gameplay, while it allows you to switch all weapons on the fly, simply doesn't have the same depth and fluidity of the previous games (even DMC3 and 4). Controls are convoluted (two dodge buttons, people, and neading to hold one of 2 buttons just to have a certain "stance), but the game is surprisingly easy (even on the hardest difficulty out of the box). Enemies are slow reacting idiots with pathetically easy to telegraph attacks, and only (marginally) pose a challenge when they are enemy types that HAVE to be killed off through specific weapons, forcing you to change your attack pattern against your leisure (this wasn't the case in previous games, as you could fight what you wanted, with whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted). Combos are relatively shallow, and half of the moves presented can be made entirely useless with a few select moves that can skyrocket the style meter (that will NEVER DROP unless you take a hit) while dealing maximum damage. Bosses are no better, and most of them can be beaten through set patterns, which would also deal maximum damage and skyrocket the style meter. Any difficulty the game has is through fake difficulty of fighting the free-form camera and through the "kill enemy X with specific weapon type" system they have in place, and not through intelligent and aggressive foes.

Let's not even talk about the various glitches in the game, and the obvious graphical and framerate issues due to the over-done and poorly used Unreal Engine 3...

Platforming segments are interesting, but can get boring really fast, especially considering the only "threat" you will face in these segments is missing a jump to a bottomless pit (which only takes away a small portion of your health, hardly punishing to the player). The "Run segments" have a false sense of urgency and only really operate through animation triggers (timed and tripped), and also have the problem of being to lenient if you "fail" (which is nigh-impossible to do). Environments CAN be pretty, but the art direction of the game to make it grungy and dirty kind of ruins the appeal to the more ethereal look to some of the stages.

The game, in of itself, is VERY manipulative and hardly offers the player the room to be creative, instead opting to string the player along very linear segments most of the time, while also placing previously mentioned enemies that can only be killed via certain weapons and methods. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but when you advertise a game that is SUPPOSED to endorse player creativity in game, it becomes a direct contradiction.

While SOME fun can be had in the game, as mentioned before, it's repetitive and manipulative nature can in turn make things become alot more dull. Speaking of which, rewards for accomplishing usually more difficult tasks becomes painstakingly underwhelming when you (very quickly) figure out the nuances of the game. SSS ranks become easy, finding keys to secret doors becomes a chore, secret missions are generally easy, getting 100% completion in every mission (after acquiring certain weapons and skills to open certain doors and passages in previous levels that were initially impossible to pass) becomes more busywork for achievements/trophies than any real satisfaction.

Let's talk about the story and dialog that Ninja Theory has been praised for in Heavenly Sword or Enslaved. If you liked the stories in those games, you will be SORELY disappointed with this one. The dialog stinks of a 13 year old mindset that just discovered cuss words and vulgarity, and when it's not being as raunchy as possible, it feels stilted and rather bland. The story itself, due to poorly written character interactions and the ludicrous amount of plot holes in this game alone, is a fest of cliches and cultural references that are supposed to be taken seriously. Top that off with the constant vulgarity, and you have this piss poor story. You can argue that DMC games never had great stories to begin with, but when one of the developers strong suits is SUPPOSED to be the story, and it ends up like it is, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong. Over all, if you are a self-respecting DMC fan, don't buy this game new. I'd suggest not to play it at all, but morbid curiosity get's the best of all of us. As for newcomers, DMC4 is available at bargain prices, and is a good place to start in the series for gameplay and lore alone. If you are a general fan of hack n slash, borrow, rent, or get it used at your own discretion.
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    Appallingly mediocre in every aspect. Everything from the sophomoric storyline to the painfully repetitive button mashing combat is a disappointment. The atmosphere of fun that has characterized the Devil May Cry series is gone, replaced by the same grimgritty slosh that has completely destroyed modern FPS games. If you are a 12 year old boy who has just discovered video games and theAppallingly mediocre in every aspect. Everything from the sophomoric storyline to the painfully repetitive button mashing combat is a disappointment. The atmosphere of fun that has characterized the Devil May Cry series is gone, replaced by the same grimgritty slosh that has completely destroyed modern FPS games. If you are a 12 year old boy who has just discovered video games and the F-word and thinks rifle abortions are in no way horribly offensive, then this game is for you Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is simply 'Meh'. There is nothing outstanding that will warrant a purchase.

Under normal circumstances I would rate it higher, if the game wasn't pretending to be a Devil May Cry game. I've noticed in official reviews that the game is apparently 'amazing compared to Devil May Cry 1' which I think may be a decade old by this point. Big game reviewers are trying to claim this

Big game reviewers are trying to claim this game is fantastic, gripping and amazing - You can see who gets ad revenue from Capcom if their reviews sing along those lines.

This game is Heavenly Sword with terrible story and writing, nothing written in this game is worth listening to. Fear for your sanity if you are looking forward to this story.

This game is a shell of the former glory that was DMC3 and (the Dante parts) of DMC4.
    Honestly, I think that Ninja Theory only played DMC2 and Nero in DMC4 when they were designing this mess.

In closing, this game is average. I rated it slightly lower because it's trying to be DMC.
    Fanboys, please don't immediately scream hate in my direction, I tried to be as unbiased as possible when playing this, and I'm not particularly happy with the death of one of my favorite franchises.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Combat is totally basic, even a child can play it and go carnage, but does a child actually knows anything bout gameplay? The lack of Lock On is terrible, basicly you'll hit what the game WANTS you to hit, not what you do, the moves are also few, they might look like a lot, yet it might be even less than Nero had back at DMC4' time. Enemies are few, you'll face the chainsaw dudes and the flying babies to everywhere, and the other enemies are pretty much derived versions of them. The bosses here are pathetic, they're slow and predictable, but not in the usual way, you just know what they gonna do before they actually do it, a terrible thing for an action game. Guns are useless, just to say, the sole reason you can't go single move spam with whatever weapon is that some enemies requires a certain weapon to be defeated... A totally lame thing for an action game.

So far the game gave me no reason to thing it is good, I saw a total noob playing and in less than 15 minutes he totally owned the three first missions without a single retry, he just got there and destroyed everything without problem...

And now for the story... Just think about a hollywood movie, there' DmC for you, there is NOTHING original there, everything has been done before and will be done again, the cutscenes are just useless, they don't give you important information, or awesome moments, it is just a sequence, usually long and pointless, you know what will happen when you see it, 'cause it has been used many many times already... Shakespearean story? Shakespeare would laugh at it...

Want to play it? You'll waste your time, get Anarchy Reins or even better, wait for Metal Gear Rising.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 2/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops, which is even worse compared to the 360 version , almost a constant 15 frames in combat, the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is the very definition of the term "Try-hard". In every aspect of it's story, music, design and gameplay it is simply trying so hard to be "cool" and it comes out looking like that kid you knew back in High School who always thought he was "rad". The script and dialogue are abysmal at best with such lines as "The world is your **** as am I." and of course the now internet famous back and forth of **** YOU" but it goes further than simple one offs. The game gets down right weird in places, and not in a good way, more in a *SPOILER ALERT* "I just shot your baby" kind of way that really just makes everything feel wrong. When the story isn't being try-hard it's being down right edgy, with no shortage of chances to stick it to the man. But where the game really falters is where it really counts; gameplay. Gameplay is slow, unrewarding and brain-numbingly easy. The Style Meter of DMC fame has been bastardized to a level of just plain pity as it pumps out SS and SSS ranking like they're going out of style. I myself hit an enemy 4 times and got my SSS. Enemies stand around and downright refuse to be a burden to the player, content to let you wail on them or move into better combo positions. To put it simply, you truely need no effort in DmC as it's goal is to make you feel like a winner but will ultimately make you feel like you wasted your time, There are however some moments of genius through out the game. The level design and art palette are of a uniquely excellent standard. Level's pop out at you and you will end up remembering them long after you've left the area. Perhaps my favorite moment in the game is in the Raptor News Network level where you shift vantage point to that of a camera as they televise the fight. It was fun and I actually enjoyed the boss battle, if not from a story point and just from a gamer point. To wrap up, DmC is a whole disappointing experience that left me feeling nostalgic for the past DMC's rather than hungry for another playthrough. What is sad is that Ninja Theory could have fixed many of the problems through out the game during their production time but wrote off all criticism of the title, attributing any ill-though about the game to their redesign of Dante. They even go as far as to include a short scene *SPOILER* where Dante wears a white wig that makes him look like the old Dante, having him denounce the look by saying "Not in a million years". Sadly, the moment would have been one of DmC's few genuinely funny moments, seeing as Dante eventually does gain white hair of his own, if not for the joke being an obviously kick to the old DMC fans. Overall, the moments of fun are overshadowed by edginess, laziness and very weak gameplay. Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points. Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes. Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them. The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used. Expand
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    No lock on, no taunt button, broken style system, horrible characters, 30 FPS, terrible dialogue, bland enemies, mediocre boss battles and so much more. Yeah the game isn't Devil May Cry anymore. The combat is vastly inferior compared to its predecessor.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This game has incredible environments, but it feels so slow compared to its predecessors. It feels easier to get a SSS by just mashing buttons and switching between the 3 weapons at the end of each button mashing combo. The main character change was the worst thing that made me cringe evrytime a cutscene happened in this game, this new hipster 14 year old Dante is not fun, is arrrogant andThis game has incredible environments, but it feels so slow compared to its predecessors. It feels easier to get a SSS by just mashing buttons and switching between the 3 weapons at the end of each button mashing combo. The main character change was the worst thing that made me cringe evrytime a cutscene happened in this game, this new hipster 14 year old Dante is not fun, is arrrogant and truth be told, most of his remarks make him sound pathetic. Also, why do an "anonymous fights big corporations" type of fight behind all of this? and **** twitter? What the hell was i playing man. This isnt Devil May Cry, this is a **** parody and a joke compared to its previous games. Needless to say i returned my copy as soon as i forced myself to finish this ( game is short ) . Expand
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    -Dumbed down combat mechanics (You can do an SSS rank mashing only one button. Seriously?) -no auto lock (no automatic one doesnt count) - later levels are lacking in visuals, same with monsters vulnerable only to one type of attack that you need to constantly switch between which gets incredibly tedious and repetitive as the game progresses
    - emo dante - the abortion scene - all the ****
    - emo dante - the abortion scene - all the **** YOU" level of writing. Seriously what the HELL is this? Is this what the franchise has become? Ninja Theory basically butchered this game making it a sad shell of its former self.
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    Between the simplified gameplay, a plot stolen from "They Live" and unimpressive technology it is hard to see how this game has been getting such high scores from "professional" critics. A cynic would guess that they were bribed, or maybe Capcom has applied pressure on the. Who knows.

The game itself is nothing to write home about. The characters are unlikable, the gameplay mindlessly unchallenging and repetitive and the dialogue sounds like something a rebellious teenager would think is the coolest thing ever.

There is really no other reason to get this game other than to annoy fans of the original DMC.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll give DmC one thing - it's somewhat fun. That's about all I can say - The game is waaaaaaaaaaaay dumbed down. You can get an SSS in several hits just by using the axe, which is horrendously overpowered and quite honestly the only weapon really worth using. Difficulty levels only change the spawning patterns and damage of the enemies - they still move the same speed, and they still takeI'll give DmC one thing - it's somewhat fun. That's about all I can say - The game is waaaaaaaaaaaay dumbed down. You can get an SSS in several hits just by using the axe, which is horrendously overpowered and quite honestly the only weapon really worth using. Difficulty levels only change the spawning patterns and damage of the enemies - they still move the same speed, and they still take the same damage to die. What happened to DMC's ridiculous difficulty where getting and maintaining an SSS could be nigh impossible? The writing is atrocious too. Overall it wouldn't have really been that bad of a game, if it wasn't trying to pass itself off as a DMC game. It simply doesn't hold up to the standard that should be expected from this series, and that's why it's generating so much negative hype. I hope this doesn't represent a new point for the series. Expand
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    Old Dante was campy. New Dante is crass. Dumbed down combat. Over abundant platforming. Sub 30 frames per second. It's all the stuff you keep hearing, and it's all true. On the pass or fail scale, this game gets a 0. Fail.
  14. Jan 17, 2013
    I have played the game, at a friend's house. And it's really embarrassing and awful. The dialogue sounds like something an "edgy" 13 year old wrote, the combat has been dumbed down from previous installments, and Dante just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I loved the original DMC so it's pretty sad to see the direction it went in, but hey, which game franchise HASN'T been altered recently?I have played the game, at a friend's house. And it's really embarrassing and awful. The dialogue sounds like something an "edgy" 13 year old wrote, the combat has been dumbed down from previous installments, and Dante just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I loved the original DMC so it's pretty sad to see the direction it went in, but hey, which game franchise HASN'T been altered recently? There's not much you can do when the casual gamer crowd outsells the hardcore gamer crowd. I'll just stick to playing games on my PS2. Oh and another thing, Ninja Theory publicly mocked its "fans" so they're not going to be getting my money, end of story. Expand
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    This review gets a lower score as the PS3 version is notably worse than the 360 version. Anyways, Devil May Cry 3 is often considered to be the best game in its genre and even the best action/adventure game ever made. It's combination of simple intuitive controls, deep fast paced combat, challenging bosses, and wildly entertaining cutscenes with cool characters solidified its status as anThis review gets a lower score as the PS3 version is notably worse than the 360 version. Anyways, Devil May Cry 3 is often considered to be the best game in its genre and even the best action/adventure game ever made. It's combination of simple intuitive controls, deep fast paced combat, challenging bosses, and wildly entertaining cutscenes with cool characters solidified its status as an all time classic. So DmC has some huge shoes to fill. And it fails on almost all regards. The gameplay manages to both be dumbed down yet harder to play. The controls are less intuitive and there's a slight delay in everything you do be it dodging or switching weapons. Without lockon there are issues with attacking the wrong enemy. The weapons are unbalanced as hell, the scythe is completely useless while the glaive and axe are gamebreaking. The enemy design is awful. The game is at its best when you are surrounded with several standard enemies, but the game insists on making you fight enemies who limit your moves. This guy can only be hit by this weapon, that guy by that weapon, etc. The further you get in the game the more the game consists of only these unfun pace-breaking enemies. Why even give you more weapons and moves to use if the game won't let you use them? The bosses are a pitiful easy joke not even worth talking about. Cutscenes that are unskippable break up the gameplay all the time and kill replay value. What we have been given is a shallow, simplistic casual game that is supposed to be rebooting a series known for being deep and hardcore. The platforming adds nothing but time to the game, it isn't fun yet it comprises almost half the gameplay. All in all the gameplay is absolutely awful compared to the predecessors this game is supposed to be living up to. Storywise Ninja Theory games are supposed to be strong, but that is not the case here. The plot is predictable and lifted entirely from They Live with a few other sources ripped off as well. The narrative proceeds with little character development and is utterly dull and generic. The voice acting is surprisingly unemotional, several lines in the game are botched, and the battle cries and pain noises sound amateur at best. The characters are bland and unlikable with only a few major exceptions. The soundtrack is mostly terrible. There's a few good songs in the game but most of the time it's just awful electronic mashing that anybody could make with no effort on a laptop. Even the final boss theme is horrible and boring electronic BFFFDDKKKWOOOOEW garbage. The best part of this game is the visuals. It's gorgeous, especially for a UE3 game. The colors are nice and vibrant and varied, the environments are extremely cool looking, and there are a lot of neat visual effects in the game I didn't know UE3 was capable of. Sadly though the environments get more generic and uninspired the more the game goes on, and the lighting effects are irritating at many points. All in all DmC: Devil May Cry isn't a good hardcore action game. Maybe it's a good casual action game, but that isn't what anybody wants out of Devil May Cry, and that isn't what the title is being advertised as. Also the practices the companies and journalists have applied to this game are appalling and insulting, this game is a huge sign to look to when it comes to corruption in the video game industry. Expand
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    There's just nothing remarkable at all about this game. The combat is simple and altogether indistinguishable from any other God of War clone, in the same vein as Ninja Theory's other titles. But where those games were made enjoyable by their ancillary features such as their art direction or writing, DmC fails in all regards. The music ranges from bland to ear molestation. The writing isThere's just nothing remarkable at all about this game. The combat is simple and altogether indistinguishable from any other God of War clone, in the same vein as Ninja Theory's other titles. But where those games were made enjoyable by their ancillary features such as their art direction or writing, DmC fails in all regards. The music ranges from bland to ear molestation. The writing is tonally inconsistent and the characters are universally unlikable. The art direction right down to the color palette are derivative and just hard to look at. This is a simple action game that likes of which has been seen dozens of times before, with nothing at all positive to separate it from its brethren. Expand
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is **** If you love action games do yourself a favor go buy an older Devil May Cry now! If you believe these phony positive reviewers you will be sitting through out on one of the worst action games to come out for a long time .I usually dont write reviews but it pisses me off when people give games an unjustified positive review.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    There's is nothing that can be said that hasn't been already been said. The game, the studio, everything about this abortion of a 'wannabe cool', try hard game is disgusting and bad. I don't know why capcom re-booted the series when they could of made DMC5 which would have got them more praise and money. I guess the japanese are as dumb as the rest of the world.
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    First of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness andFirst of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness and powerful feel to them for the first half of the game that disappears later on as enemies start demanding certain types used. This destroys any semblance of flow the game may have had. This coupled with a meaningless combo system (since you can get SSS without trying) leaves everything feeling generally hollow.

The environment has much the same issue. At first it's an interesting romp through many varied and somewhat interesting zones, and while the scenery looks nice, it does nothing save throw you into the occasional, overly simplistic platforming puzzle. When I said it's like the combat, well, I meant that it gets worse as time goes on. The scenery just becomes generic and boring later on, as if the devs just gave up and said **** it".

The story is where the game truly dims. Everyone knows it at this point: the story is childish, cliched, and seemingly written by a 12 year old with a chip no their shoulder. Pretty much every character has the inability to act their age, and the story line itself is a complete bore and would still be a bore even if the characters acted with a sliver of maturity. As a Devil May Cry game, this should be buried and forgotten. As a generic action game, this should be played with the volume off and all cut scenes skipped. It's certainly not worth it's full price, and it sickens me that there are so many high "official" reviews which show me nothing more than either A. Reviewers have lost all credibility and ability to rate fairly. or B. Bribery is alive and well.

Don't buy this game, if you haven't played earlier Devil May Cry games, I can at least say 4 is worth it. If you have played earlier Devil May Cry games, play them again, because this one isn't one.
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good, (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was veryFirst, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good, (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until released lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    It is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you canIt is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you can infinitely juggle an enemy in the air with the angel and demon grabs, not to mention that you get SSS almost immediately from any attack, and that the game lacks the lock on system necessary to aim attacks at enemies. The music tends to be obnoxious as well but thats subjective.
    However, while the story and gameplay are mediocre at best, it is still fun to hack and slash a bunch of demons, so its still earns itself some points
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I dislike this game because, it's too much different from the previous titles and it's different in a bad way. I am totally shocked how they changed the main character, and casualised the gameplay. I do believe it could've been a good game if it had a different name, but as a DMC game it's a total disaster.
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    In terms of gameplay, I can't say much. It's pretty fast-paced and intense, I suppose, but I haven't played the other Devil May Cry games, and from what I've heard, the combat is comparatively watered-down, so I guess that makes it pretty disappointing. In terms of the story... it's my policy that the worst stories are not poorly paced or insulting, but offensive. And I have never seen aIn terms of gameplay, I can't say much. It's pretty fast-paced and intense, I suppose, but I haven't played the other Devil May Cry games, and from what I've heard, the combat is comparatively watered-down, so I guess that makes it pretty disappointing. In terms of the story... it's my policy that the worst stories are not poorly paced or insulting, but offensive. And I have never seen a more offensive game since Call of Juarez: The Cartel. I think this is even worse actually. The story seems to cater itself to make me like it, making what is practically Fox News the bad guy, and making references to "They Live," but it reaches a point in the story where they just cross the line. When they first alluded to what was going to happen, I thought it'd be interesting for Dante to reject that path, showing how he's better than the villain. I guess that was too sophisticated for him though, since by the end, I was cheering for Mundus. I don't want people to buy this game. It would send the wrong message to the industry. This game is offensive. I feel sick. Expand
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is a betrayal of all DMC fans out there, pure and simple. The gameplay is casualised to the point where you no longer need any effort to pull of the biggest combos. There is no reward for struggling with and becoming better at the game, everything is presented to you right of the bat and the neatest package possible. The writing is childish at best and just pure insulting atThis game is a betrayal of all DMC fans out there, pure and simple. The gameplay is casualised to the point where you no longer need any effort to pull of the biggest combos. There is no reward for struggling with and becoming better at the game, everything is presented to you right of the bat and the neatest package possible. The writing is childish at best and just pure insulting at worst. The graphics are fine, but the aesthetics are uninspired to say the least. Overall this game does everything wrong. A good example of the saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    With "DMC" the series has gone from a self-aware, decidedly cheesy yet over-the-top, stellar action series to a game that simply tries to hard to be "edgy". The gameplay is good at first, but becomes repetitive faster than a flash game, unacceptable from a modern AAA title. The rest is just a slow, agonizing de-construction of what made the original games (except for Devil May Cry 2) soWith "DMC" the series has gone from a self-aware, decidedly cheesy yet over-the-top, stellar action series to a game that simply tries to hard to be "edgy". The gameplay is good at first, but becomes repetitive faster than a flash game, unacceptable from a modern AAA title. The rest is just a slow, agonizing de-construction of what made the original games (except for Devil May Cry 2) so "crazy" good. Expand
  26. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll be short: Gameplay is a big step down from DMC 3/4, its been casualised so anyone can achieve SSS with a couple of combos it actually is more akin to God of War than Devil May Cry.

Platforming is boring and way too much, bosses are the whole game in general are super easy, the story is a rip-off of "They Live" and in one cutscene a major character shoots a pregnant woman. Music is horrible dubstep but if you like that kind of thing then good for you.

The scenarios are cool and very creative but thats about the only thing good in this game. As a stand alone game I would give it a 6/10 but as a Devil May Cry game is a gigantic step back.
  27. Jan 18, 2013
    What in the world is this. we've come from witty banter with bosses to "**** you!" and writing so bad it makes my sister's fanfics look like masterpieces, from the cool combat with crazy 60fps combos to boring 30fps combat.. and all the critics give it positive reviews. and the *****damn platforming?!
    why is it even there?!
    so we're giving games that devolve high scores now?! to my
    why is it even there?!

so we're giving games that devolve high scores now?!

to my sister who bought me this game. thanks i love you and all but.. im gonna put this **** in the trash where it belongs.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I go into the game, remember this took close to five years to be developed with an already established game engine.

Story: What can I say, it really just sounds like someone has issues with life. Dante is some guy living in a trailer who is brought in to help fight against the demons who secretly rule the world using mind controlling soft drinks. Besides the immature dialogue and the see through plot, the characters themselves have no redeeming points. Dante harasses the humans he's trying to protect and be's a jerk to everyone except the girl he likes. Vergil kills a child in the womb and allows the mother a moment to realise her child is dead before he kills her as well and laughs about it.
    These two are brothers and while the relationship is established during the game, it just feels forced and when they inevitably fight because of opposing opinions (Vergil offended Dante's girl) there's no feeling to it. Overall the story has stolen many ideas and concepts from other movies and games that executed them better.

The Gameplay is what the DMC franchise is known for. The lack of a lock on button means you'll be flailing around as the jittery camera spins during fights. The combos aren't as impressive as you think, in the old series tying your combos together helped gain a better score and allowed you easier means to beat your enemies. In this game, you can get a good score by either finding poorly hidden secrets (big red shiny door that glows) or by using a move with the axe that allows an instant SSS (highest style score). The bosses aren't challenging even on the highest difficulties. The poison fight was the most hilarious. When the boss does it's sweep attack, you can parry it which allows you to drag it down *cut scene* allowing you ten seconds to pummel it. Fair enough...except your attacks can finish it off within that ten seconds and then *cut scene*. Every boss is like this, one you find their weakness they are easily demolished. Worse yet, if you don't kill them in that ten seconds they rise and do the exact same attack again without fail allowing you over and over again if need be to pummel them without fear of being hit.
    Switching the weapons really feels pointless for starters when you gain an axe near the start of the game which does incredibly damage to everything. But you have to hold triggers down and tap the d-pad until you find the weapon you want and by then your rythem will be messed up. Oh yeah, style metres don't drop unless your hit, which would be a problem if the enemies attacked you. I waited fifteen seconds at one stage for one of them to attack me! Then when they attack they strike a pose, wait three seconds while their weapons flashes brightly signalling an attack, your given the option of choosing to use two evade buttons (they do the same thing) or jump out the way. Still, despite the combat, you'll be holding out for these moments as the rest of the seven hour game is filled with plat forming and jumping. Wouldn't mind this if the game wasn't a Hack 'n' Slash proclaimed to be the best of it's genre with great combat.
    The devil trigger feels to me like a slap in the face to the old fans. I didn't get involved in all the wars between the two fanbases, but why does a 'Devil' trigger make him get white hair and a Red coat? I thought that was the point of a reboot was to bring life into a franchise and to reinvigorate it, so they give you a button that makes the new Dante look like old Dante (despite him apparently being uncool, a loser, unfashionable)?
    He is half angel, half demon...why not just call it his 'Trigger' / 'Release' / 'Ascension' mode or something? Devil trigger implies he turns into a demon...

Sound and Audio is a meh. Personally I'm not into recorded human farts (I wish I was joking here) and little pops that represent gunfire. The sounds are lackluster but it's a damn sight better than the dialogue which consists of "F**K YOU!" - "YOU WH**E". I honestly wouldn't mind if this wasn't forced upon you and felt like it suited the game and the atmosphere but it just sounds juvenile.

Re-playability is really up to the user. Me? I won't be touching it again and will be dropping it off at my nearest game store. The secrets aren't really that good, the DLC just adds extra costumes (why they included a DMC 3 Dante outfit when they already have a Dante Trigger I don't know?) a game mode that all the others DMC games except the first had for free and a Vergil's downfall which is sort of a spoiler if you haven't already seen the entire game on Youtube or paid much attention to the games story (which I can't really condemn you for)

Overall I could have gone alot more into detail on this game on just how BAD it is. For years we've had journalists saying this is the best game ever and will beat all expectations, but this is just pathetic. Five years and this is it?. It may have the name Devil May Cry but it will never have it's light!
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    When we were kids, who played DMC series, we all dreamed of one day, if we could for just once, open a demon hunting shop, hunting demons ( Evils ) with styles by using creativity and wit so we can be cool. But the new kids who play DmC, they will all think dropping F bombs, bully fat guys, insulting people and being filthy and dirty are in terns of BEING COOL. Dante---a true hero who actsWhen we were kids, who played DMC series, we all dreamed of one day, if we could for just once, open a demon hunting shop, hunting demons ( Evils ) with styles by using creativity and wit so we can be cool. But the new kids who play DmC, they will all think dropping F bombs, bully fat guys, insulting people and being filthy and dirty are in terns of BEING COOL. Dante---a true hero who acts like he cares free but actually cares about humanity and friends around him with a kind heart. When people said demons never cry, he cried for friends and his family when no one can see it. Donte--- A FOUL LANGUAGE **** HOLE. Who even think he is the key of humanity. Expand
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is painfully bad. The combat is slow and boring and the story is idiotic and offensive. Dante looks like a crack addict now. To call this game a "turd" would be an insult to fecal matter.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.