DmC: Devil May Cry PlayStation 3

5.3

1. Jan 12, 2014
    Pretty awful. Glad It was free with PS+ though so i didn't waste $60 on this mess.
    Point system ( or soul) feels really undone (it seems to take forever to just get one orb let alone two for boss fights.. hey i'm not a gamer that can beat a boss in one try usually..)
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2013
    worst game i have ever played devil may cry 1 ,3 and 4 were nice but this is total i'd better play math games... goodbye devil may cry series from 4 nice game to a trash one it's better without this game in the series it makes devil may cry look stupid
  4. Apr 3, 2014
    Utter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plotUtter garbage, it destroyed every single thing build by the previous entries, the gameplay mechanics were casualised for non-skilled gamers, the music when from original rock-classic-techno to dubstep in seek of skrillex audience, the game has tons of flaws, like bugs, insta-ranking up, color coded enemies, zero difficulty, piss easy and unimpressive boss fights. The last fight was a plot twist out of no where.
    The dialogs were written by a 12 year old, such an ignorant view of being cool.
    Capcom hit a new low with this game
  5. Jan 16, 2013
    Okay, first off, I guarantee you that the low user score is completely unbalanced, because half the bad reviews give it a zero, meaning that there's no redeeming qualities at all, yet they admit stuff that's good. Long story short, fan boys are **** and they think that spamming this page with bad scores will make a difference. Here's a completely honest review, all feelings aside. ThisOkay, first off, I guarantee you that the low user score is completely unbalanced, because half the bad reviews give it a zero, meaning that there's no redeeming qualities at all, yet they admit stuff that's good. Long story short, fan boys are **** and they think that spamming this page with bad scores will make a difference. Here's a completely honest review, all feelings aside. This game has amazing production values. Fluid animations, great motion-capture acting, amazing art direction, great characterization, etc. Pretty much everything visually is perfect, frame rates aside. Story is great for me, but some have issues with it. The only real flaw I can give for this game is the surprisingly simple boss fights. Not that they are easy, but that they lack intellectual challenge, in that for the most part you just dodge the attack, then hit the glowing part. Which is a shame, because these bosses are some of the most unique visually I've ever faced, Bob Barbas being the most memorable boss I've faced in years. Now as far as combat goes, its more accessible and less complex than previous DMC games, and for me, that's perfect, but if your a die-hard DMC fan, you might have issue with it, claiming that this game has been dumbed down for noobs. More accessible doesn't mean its dumbed down, it just means that people with less dexterity can have fun. Point is, unless your a die-hard fan of the first 4, or just not a fan of hack n slash, then this game will definitely entertain. New Dante has all the **** and one liners of before, and since he has some actual scenes to be characterized, hes much more relate-able and likable, rather than a matrixy bad-ass whose too high above us for us to feel connected to him. Forget the fanboys bringing down the score, just read the reviews and see if you find anything you like Expand
  6. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is great. Currently played through on normal difficulty and have to say the story progression and character integration is amazing. I was one of the first people on the hate train when they announced the new DmC would be a complete reboot, as having played DmC3 & 4, I was upset with the new Dante. After purchasing and playing the game I have completely changed my outlook. PeopleThe game is great. Currently played through on normal difficulty and have to say the story progression and character integration is amazing. I was one of the first people on the hate train when they announced the new DmC would be a complete reboot, as having played DmC3 & 4, I was upset with the new Dante. After purchasing and playing the game I have completely changed my outlook. People who are upset over the change shouldn't affect your choice in purchasing this game. Expand
  7. Jan 23, 2013
    You should really play this game with an open mind. Forget about the past Devil May Cry games and play this as if a new. It is a reboot after all, all the negativity for this game is the change, and the differences when you should expect it in a reboot. Ninja Theory did a great job on this game, it's not perfect, but it certainly isn't a 0/10 that many users are posting.
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    Capcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game theCapcom fanboys are the worst fans in the industry, hands down. This is DmC at it's core and regardless the naysayers it's exactly what you should have been expecting with a Ninja Theory version of DmC. You guys, simply, came unprepared. Did you play Heavenly Sword? Did you look into Ninja Theory at all? Doubtful or you wouldn't be so morose over something so predictable. Give the game the credit it deserves and play the game on Son of Sparda, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell and Dante Must Die before you pitch the OBVIOUS lie that you can "smash triangle over and over and get a SSS". Frankly, most the fans are just crybabies that expected something revolutionary from a title that never was revolutionary to begin with. Get over yourself and enjoy the game for what it is or don't buy the game at full price if you're iffy about it in the first place. You all had the option to wait until the price came down but chose full price, first day release just to **** about something that was expected in the first place. Expand
  9. Jan 24, 2013
    I dont usually write on reviews. But I can't take this too much hate for DMC. This game is GREAT! It's a REBOOT for God's sake! Stop being FANBOYS be open for change :) . If you dont play this. You will miss half of your life! ;)
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    The combat is solid and fun. The environments are the best this generation. The story is solid, and the acting is great. Best Devil May Cry game. The changes that were made , in my opinion, make this game much better than the previous games. Don't believe the extremely low scores. Fans of the older games are score bombing this games like a bunch of brats.
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore all of the negative reviews, they are simply trolls, people who've not played the game.
    I got the game yesterday and finished It in just over 11 hours, it's a great game, with a colourful cast of both characters and environments and a fun combat system with depth should you seek it.

Ninja Theory have taken a lot of criticism from old DMC fans upon taking on the franchise and they've done a sterling job, aside from a few technical hitches on the PS3 version (including iffy shadows and the occasional frame drops on busy cutscenes) it runs and looks phenomenal, the standouts include Chapter 13/14 and the final battles.

In comparison, I found DMC4 to be a sloppy, lazily put together mess with no originality and half of the content was repeated, a terrible game.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    I have never seen so much unreasonable hate for a game before. The design is unique and interesting. The gameplay is just as fun as the other DMC's. The story was OK. If you dislike the games for logical reasons, fine, but do not listen to these people who give a game a 0 because they're upset. As for easiness, it it completely dependent on the difficulty you choose. Human is tooI have never seen so much unreasonable hate for a game before. The design is unique and interesting. The gameplay is just as fun as the other DMC's. The story was OK. If you dislike the games for logical reasons, fine, but do not listen to these people who give a game a 0 because they're upset. As for easiness, it it completely dependent on the difficulty you choose. Human is too easy, but 'Hell and Hell' difficulty is where you die from one hit. *spoiler*

As for the 'killing a defenseless pregnant woman' part, it's a FREAKING DEMON AND DEMON SPAWN! and the demon spawn was going to be the next demon king, so yeah.
  13. Jan 16, 2013
    Now normally I'm not one to write reviews of games that are only a day old. I just had to come and counteract this blind hate this game is receiving from over entitled "hardcore DMC fans." Now this game is no where near perfect and that's not what I'm trying to get across for this review. But all the 0 scores or pretty much anything 3 and below are all spouting the same nonsense thatNow normally I'm not one to write reviews of games that are only a day old. I just had to come and counteract this blind hate this game is receiving from over entitled "hardcore DMC fans." Now this game is no where near perfect and that's not what I'm trying to get across for this review. But all the 0 scores or pretty much anything 3 and below are all spouting the same nonsense that reviewers are being bought out to give this game good reviews. I want you guys to really think about this a second, if Capcom wanted to buy out reviewers for a massive AAA title like this, don't you think they would have done the same for Resident Evil 6, or Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City to guarantee good hype about the game. You guys are a broken record of already proven false conspiracy theories trying to turn as many people off to a new take on a new series because it doesn't fit in your otaku game collection. I didn't see a lot of complaining about Metroid Other M when that game did just about the same thing this game is doing aside from not being over the top. This is a good game; it has some things people will consider offensive, but that's part of its awkward charm. SSS ranks, sure are easy to obtain if you're good at dodging, but play this on Dante Must Die and see if you reap the same rewards. There's a lot of people going around saying that the enemy AI is exactly the same which is not true at all. The AI does improve drastically if you actually play between difficulties. Now my main gripe with the combat in this game, as it is very solid and easy to get into but also complex enough for fans of the past games like me. The thing that bugs me the MOST about the combat in this game is the lack of being able to lock on to enemies. Now for the most part the game auto locks on to whatever demon your pointing your stick towards or what you're looking at, but that removes one of the challenging aspects of DMC to begin with, having to juggle between manual locks was actually a fun part of the original series to me. But this issue is a personal one at best; I'm sure not everyone liked having to manually lock which is why most players played DMC4 on automatic and I'm sure Ninja Theory saw that. The only other thing that I didn't love about this game was the language; it sometimes got to be too much. This is NOT a DMC that can be played around your family or siblings if they are young. That was part of the charm of the original games; they were mature for different reasons other than language. But all in all after a real breakdown of this game I'm going to give it an 8/10. This is not a typical DMC, but this is still an excellent alternative until Capcom decides to continue the old series; I honestly hope there is room for both in the future and we see a DMC5 and a DmC2. Expand
  14. Jan 17, 2013
    The thing this game does good is, definitely, - the gameplay. Combat looks and feels easy once you got used to controls and (if you are a fan or just a guy who played and liked past DMCs) the abscence of lock-on option, whick kind of makes you feel uncomfortable at times, because sometimes Dante concentrates not on the target you want him to concentrate on or camera makes you look anotherThe thing this game does good is, definitely, - the gameplay. Combat looks and feels easy once you got used to controls and (if you are a fan or just a guy who played and liked past DMCs) the abscence of lock-on option, whick kind of makes you feel uncomfortable at times, because sometimes Dante concentrates not on the target you want him to concentrate on or camera makes you look another way thus makes you irritated, disoriented and open for damage. Because of lock -on deletion many old actions are now a bit more complicated to pull off.... I'm talking about Dante's signature "Stinger" move, which is now done by moving Left Analog Stick twice in the direction you want to attack... it may not sound difficult, but sometimes it doesn't work the way you want it to. "Getting used to" is the main principle when it comes to controls. But you don't want to hear about controls, don't you ? You want to hear about Devil May Cry ! You want to hear about what kind of awesomness is going on the screen while you watch cutscenes, how characters interact with each other and basicly how overall cool you feel while playing it. It is shame, my friends, but Hideki Kamiya's Devil May Cry is long gone from here. You won't feel yourself controlling a guy who is in constant control over the situation, who jokes and cheers you up with his carefree attitude, his charm and lack of seriousness. No, this game takes itself way too serious: some cutscenes in the game make you feel as if it tries too hard to be Metal gear Solid, because it has a bad habbit to always explain things (which original universe didn't too with such fanatism). The bosses are pretty good, I liked nearly all of them, but mind you - not as boss-fights (they are pathetically easy) but as persons with characters, my most favourite are Bob Barbas, who is, strictly speaking, a satire towards T.V. news network and Media itself, and second one is Mundus, who, for my personal pleasure has a pretty likable and interesting personality (the thing he didn't have in DMC1). The enviroments look great and colourful with secrets waiting on every corner, but I can't bring myself to love those scripted "RUN" sequences which literally scream at you: "I WANT TO LOOK LIKE UNCHARTED SO YOU CAN LIKE ME MORE !!!"... They make you feel as if all your actions are scripted by some game programmer who thought that it might be neccessary to disable all attack buttons while the scripted scene is being "played" without the need of your taking part in it. Mind you - the game isn't bad by any means, it has nice combat, interesting story premise which deals with interesting and believable issues like "What is freedom ?" "What would humans do with freedom ?" "Why a man needs power ? In order to protect those who have need in his protection or in order to enslave the will of those he has power over ?" and yes, those are interesting things to think about, but this isn't Metal Gear Solid, neither this is Silent Hill, this is Devil May Cry - a game, main goal of which was always in making you feel yourself in control of Awsomness Embodied, a unbeliaveble man who does everything in the name of looking good and stylish while saving the world... Here, on the other hand, we have a believable characters, who aren't even half that cool and awesome.... And this is the main sin of this game - it is not as enjoyable as classic games (well, it is better then 2, that's for sure). So if you are a open minded fella who is interested in new ideas and images for old characters and gameplay premises then this game is fr you. As for me (being a enormous DMC fan since 10 years old) I see a good game which tries to be Devil May Cry while being something absolutely different. For example classic Devil May Cry traditions are left behind: Dante does not get impaled by his own sword, doesn't destroy the last boss with "JACKPOT" and doesn't shed a single tear in the end of the game.
    It's really for you to decide is it bad or good
  15. Jan 16, 2013
    Ignore the user score for this game, it, like so many other decent games, has been artificially lowered by fan-boys and other individuals for a few very specific, very dumb reasons. First, the majority of these people are by and large fans of Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4, which are decent games. They ignore the fact that Devil May Cry 2 was terrible, and that Devil May Cry 4 was hardlyIgnore the user score for this game, it, like so many other decent games, has been artificially lowered by fan-boys and other individuals for a few very specific, very dumb reasons. First, the majority of these people are by and large fans of Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4, which are decent games. They ignore the fact that Devil May Cry 2 was terrible, and that Devil May Cry 4 was hardly innovative or interesting at all. Besides that, they are upset that this game is a reboot of a franchise they used to love. It's as simple as that. They make no claims to the quality of the game, and if they do, they are lying. Nobody in their right mind could possibly give this game a 0/10 score. It's not possible. At minimum, this game should be a 6/10. It's got quite a lot of good things about it, and my experience with it is a solid 9/10 experience. I've had a TON of fun, the combat is fluid, graphics are great, the humor is just stupid enough, and I feel it stays true to the Devil May Cry experience. I don't know where these other people are getting off on calling this game complete garbage. This game is pretty damn good, and is far superior to DMC2 or DMC4 in terms of level design, combat, and innovation. Some people are just too stubborn to enjoy themselves, I guess. Expand
  16. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  17. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME. I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off ! This is a great game! This is a fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys ! Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too ! Ninja Theory congrats!
  18. Jan 22, 2013
    As an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. IAs an avid Devil May Cry fan I must say this game ticked most of the boxes. It was far superior to Devil May Cry 4 in terms of story and game play but the story is still no match for Devil May Cry 3. I would rank this game as the second best of the franchise with Devil May Cry 3 at top, Devil May Cry one in third, Devil May Cry 4 as fifth and Devil May Cry 2 as a very distant fifth. I liked the character and felt it was a great reboot of the franchise. A younger Dante will attract younger games as many people like myself who were teenagers when the first game came out are now in our late twenties and sadly are no longer the target market for the franchise. I do think it is extremely interesting the difference between used scores and critic scores. I am sure if this game had been the very first game of the franchise it would have been loved but fans hate it when their favourite characters are messed with. Personally i think those of the younger generation will love this game alot more than those of us who have grown up with the white haired dante for many years. I did not like the mention of the word nephilim and am sure it was even misspelled. A nephilim is actually a child of an angel and a human not a demon and a human so that was actually wrong. I would have given this game a 9 out of 10 but as i can see it only has a 4 in 558 rating which is totally wrong i am inclined to give it a 10. I must say that the people marking this game down really need to relax and enjoy a good attempt to reboot an amazing franchise. Expand
  19. Feb 15, 2013
    In order to fully articulate how much of a disappointment this game is, one needs to fully understand the scope of what was lost in the original series of games.

---Gameplay--- The Devil May Cry franchise was a slow but steady research and development project into the new world of a genre it created (The Stylish Action genre). DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to

---Gameplay---

DMC1: The first game, for example: Didn't allow you to change styles or firearms on the fly. It did, however, allow the player to lock on to targets, something which "DMC" is lacking. DMC2: Expanded upon the options by allowing the player to change firearms during play and capitalised upon a nuance of the older game by allowing mid air juggling.

DMC3: Expanded even further by allowing the player to change devil arms on the fly whilst also introducing styles, albeit these styles were fixed per mission. The pseudo 2 player mode in the form of doppelganger was also a nice touch.

DMC4: As it's predecessors had done, expanded further by introducing a throw mechanic in the form of Nero's devil bringer and of course brought with it something new to the table in the form on-the-fly style change mechanics.

"DMC": TOOK A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS.
    So far in some aspects that it completely missed the point of the genre it was trying to reboot.
    - No lock on, which is really handy when trying not to fall to your death or shooting the projectile firing enemies at the back.
    - Combos that can be broken by accidental input on certain enemies.
    - Combos that can be broken by a certain enemy walking in the way of an attack.
    - Limiting attacking options by rendering weapons to a 'more dangerous than unusable state'. Stylish gauge that is easy to fill. (Mash one button)
    - Enemy juggles that allow the main character to essentially fly.
    - Making monotonous tasks stylish.
    - Making once monotonous but now cleared tasks contribute to your rank in higher difficulties, gimping the difficulty in getting an overall S rank and escaping the point of the difficulties in the first place.

---PLOT---
    DMC's strong point was never really plot nuances, although it had it's good moments. It had it's shockingly bad moments though (Like a plane falling through the ceiling at the right time letting the two protagonists escape: DMC1).
    Also, the franchise was going to suffer from the superman problem: "How do we write a story that is challenging for a character who is essentially to strong for everybody to handle".
    We saw this problem essentially culminate in DMC2 and the solution was a prequel, DMC3.
    They struggled a bit with DMC4 because Dante was essentially too strong, so they had to nurf him a little in some respects and by giving us a new character who was similar but different, it allowed the player to experience mortality.

"DMC" went straight for the jugular by thinking that Dante needed roughing up and bringing down a peg or two, which literally took place in the trailers.
    The in game plot was a hash of references to the old material whilst also trying to be political, edgy and fashionable. Re: F*cking swearing Wise cracking, since when?
    Dante lives in a trailer and hates humanity? Who is he a Martin Riggs addicted to meth?
    Dante is the son of an angel and a demon? Who is he Little Nicky on crack?
    Dante passes between limbo and the real world? Who is he, a tweaking John Constantine?
    Dante has a brother who wants to rule the world and tricks him into fighting on his side? Who is he, a Junkie Solid Snake?

No he is DMC Dante, the kind of guy who asks the questions the audience is asking like: "How did my coat get on the Ferris-wheel", we all know how Dante, lazy shoehorned writing.

When all is said and done, it has brought us one undeniable fact, don't crap on your fan base.
  20. Jan 19, 2013
    I think it's pretty friggin' ridiculous the negative backlash it's getting from people who NEVER even played the game in its entirety. DMC, is a great game. It may not be the same Devil May Cry we've grown up with over the years but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dante - in essence and personality is still true to his character. In fact the Dante this time around seems more realistic.I think it's pretty friggin' ridiculous the negative backlash it's getting from people who NEVER even played the game in its entirety. DMC, is a great game. It may not be the same Devil May Cry we've grown up with over the years but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Dante - in essence and personality is still true to his character. In fact the Dante this time around seems more realistic. The combat in DMC is pretty damn accessible, the gameplay was down to the tee of the original games. I think the overall thing that got me was the narrative. Devil May Cry 3 was probably my favourite Devil May Cry game, Vergil was such a great character and the calibration between both Dante and Vergil really hooked me. Without spoiling some of the key plot points let's just say the game in its entirety is an origin story. Everyone was wondering why Dante didn't have white hair and people bashed Ninja Theory for something so stupid. The reason being is because it's apart of the story. One would have to play through to truly enjoy. People can cast ill judgements upon the game, but all I gotta say as a fellow Devil May Cry fan and a gamer: You're missing out. Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tieDOOhiDiI a brief summary of what I thought of the game, this does not have any spoilers but does talk about stuff later in the game. Overall I enjoyed this game and I wish it wasn't being unfairly judged, the combat is streamlined which I think is an overall good thing
  22. Jan 16, 2013
    When the first trailer for DMC was released, I was skeptical to say the least. I was worried what new studio Ninja Theory was doing to a franchise that I have been a long time fan of, but after completing DMC, I can safely say that fans of Devil May Cry can rest easy.

The gameplay is quick, smooth and very responsive, slipping between weapons and chaining combos has never felt so fluid in a Devil May Cry game. On the basic 3 difficulties, the game can seem quite easy compared to its predecessors, especially to Devil May Cry veterans, but from "Son of Sparda" mode and higher, it becomes something that veterans can really sink there teeth into, but having to already complete the game to unlock it is a bit of a disappointment, but par for the course with the Devil May Cry Franchise.

I will avoid saying much about the story to avoid spoilers, but the style in which it is told is a vast improvement to what it was in previous iterations. Dante seems more relate-able to some degree, more sympathetic. While the climax left a lot to be desired, seeing as it is CAPCOM, I fully expect an extended ending DLC along the lines of Asura's Wrath.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    Haters gonna hate. The game is awesome, i had to vote 10 because everyone is just trolling with 0-4 grades. It's a shame to all fans of Devil May Cry. Honest it's more then 8 but less then 9.1, if you are a fanboy and play with a mindset that the game is terrible, it will be.

Cons: easy on normal mode, normal on difficult and it's a devil may cry on son of sparda.
  24. Jan 16, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the goth-Dante loyalists! Every Devil May Cry fan should give this title a shot & then decide for themselves whether or not this entry deserves a place in the series.
    My opinion is yes. It may be very different looking than the Devil May Cry we all know and love on the outside but it still plays and feels like a DMC game. Graphics & Presentation(9/10)
    While I'm not a
    While I'm not a fan of the unreal engine since it mostly ruins facial expressions, I didn't find that too much of an issue. The character movements were fluid and the environment looked amazing. The level design is one of the best I've seen in any game and is extremely unique. There were a few dropped frames during some cut scenes but it wasn't anything to be upset over. The soundtrack was great too.

Gameplay:(10/10)
    This is where this title really stands out. The improved gameplay is fantastic. Some people will hate it because it's "too simple", but the truth of the matter is that it really isn't. You can instantly switch between 5 melee weapons and 3 projectile weapons and chain them together. Dodging also plays a big role in this game sometimes giving you bonuses like stronger hits after a dodge. Another thing I liked was that you could enable and disable moves and upgrades without any penalties. It helped me use Dante exactly how I wanted to use him and get rid of also those annoying moves I accidently set off that ruined my combos. I do miss some of the puzzle elements in the old DMC games but that's been replaced by mostly speed-based platforming which I enjoyed very much.

Story & Boss Battles: (8/10)
    While the story was on par with DMC3, I felt like the conclusion was missing something (which will probably be addressed in the upcoming DLC). The characters were great an voice acting was more than just good. The boss battles were a bit of a disappointment. The first battle was something you'd expect from a DMC game but the rest of the bosses were odd. The studio tried to make each one unique and cinematic, which did look good, but I didn't enjoy them as much as I did the bosses of DMC3 & 4. All in all... You should try this game even if it is to confirm that you hate it (Didn't we all play DMC 2?). It is a very good game and one of my favorite in the series so far (2nd favorite, nothing can dethrone DMC3). If you boycott this game you'll just be denying yourself a fun and great experience. I just want to say that change is good sometimes. If you love DMC3 so much why not just go play DMC3 again? Its pointless for the studio to keep making the EXACT SAME GAME OVER & OVER AGAIN and make us pay to play it, right?
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    I don't ever get hocked on Capcom games. Love Ninja theory games.Enslaved was my game of 2010. The two of mixed. Ninja with it's great story telling skills and Capcom's known knowledge on combat really makes this game a great reboot of the series. Won't be putting this game anytime soon. I see a lot of negativity towards the game on here. Your entitled to your own opinion's as am I.
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    Don't you find it funny that there are so many negative scores so soon after release? It's unlikely that these people have finished the game let alone even played it considering how vehemently they seem to hate it. This is the one time I'm gonna say trust the professional reviews over the reader ones. Hey I guess sometimes anally distressed fanboys can be worse that official publicationsDon't you find it funny that there are so many negative scores so soon after release? It's unlikely that these people have finished the game let alone even played it considering how vehemently they seem to hate it. This is the one time I'm gonna say trust the professional reviews over the reader ones. Hey I guess sometimes anally distressed fanboys can be worse that official publications who knew. Either way damn solid game; even to anyone with distaste for it It should be at least a six. When Kabuki Warriors has a higher user score; you know you're dealing with dishonest biased opinions. "Demon's we know your game." Expand
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    I started playing this game and hated everything i was experiencing, but 4 hours later i was still playing and was enjoying myself. Truth be told once you get past the opening the game gets better and start to fall into its own. Although the games rated mature it's easy to see this is made for a teenage audience (not because of the content, but because of the presentation of said content),I started playing this game and hated everything i was experiencing, but 4 hours later i was still playing and was enjoying myself. Truth be told once you get past the opening the game gets better and start to fall into its own. Although the games rated mature it's easy to see this is made for a teenage audience (not because of the content, but because of the presentation of said content), but i dont go to DMC for the story but for the fighting. That being said the mechanics for the fighting are fun, but on normal the game seems far too easy. As long as you dont go in expecting the old DMC's, this game delivers a fun new experience Expand
  28. Jan 17, 2013
    I told myself so many times that I'd hate this game for the longest time, and I 'knew' it would be horrible. However, by the time of Nov. 2012, I decided that I was, in fact, excited by a new DMC, and I preordered it (partially to get the amulet). Now, I played the demo so much that I actually rarely played the full games I did own. The game's story seems pretty good to me, because II told myself so many times that I'd hate this game for the longest time, and I 'knew' it would be horrible. However, by the time of Nov. 2012, I decided that I was, in fact, excited by a new DMC, and I preordered it (partially to get the amulet). Now, I played the demo so much that I actually rarely played the full games I did own. The game's story seems pretty good to me, because I honestly don't care if something is cliched, so long as it works, and I personally enjoyed the story. Now, to the points of my review:

1. Dante, and the other characters, received as much, if not more, character development in this one game than they did through the entirety of the other four games. Don't get me wrong, I will always love the original four, especially DMC3, but this one did a great job developing characters.

2. The combat was much better. I was never incredible at the other Devil May Cry games, honestly just because I never have been good at pulling off complex combos (like in fighting games and such), so this one made me feel like I was incredible at the game, and I've even begun learning how to do some very complex combos too. More accessible.

3. No backtracking.

4. Darker. The setting befit a game centered around half demons and a world overrun by Hell.

5. The soundtrack. I absolutely loved the soundtrack to this game.

My only gripe is the length, I wish it took me longer than ten hours to beat.
  29. Feb 22, 2013
    After all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much moreAfter all the hype of a 'revamped' Dante/story/etc ruining the franchise I was pleasantly surprised at how well the character design, worlds and storyline were designed and executed. The level design in particular is stunning in colour and content and the changing environments implemented is not a simple feat at all. However that's all the positives I can think of and there are much more negative points that overall ruin this game. Several parts of the storyline and dialogue are shocking, puerile or completely unnecessary and the game would benefit from their removal. Glitchy platforming causes death to the user at no fault of their own. Frame-rate drops at times unacceptable for a level based game on a console (open world you can sometimes forgive). Easier than all previous Devil May Cry games but this is probably an intentional based on the game designers thinking the "know better" that the creators of the previous games. The most annoying part is that pretty obvious from the opening and ending sequences that NinjaTheory pretty far up their own arses a position which is certainly unjustified from some of the amateurish content they've delivered here. A little bit of thought, maturity and humility in their decision making would have stopped a lot of the problems mentioned above. Expand
  30. Nov 22, 2013
    Ok, i play this game and this is my opinion, new Dante its a garbage, i want the old Dante in the next game, stop whit this reboot or for me DMC is very dead, i want a DEVIL MAY CRY 5!!! And not DmC2! Capcom wake up, stop whit this or you lost many players.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Mar 14, 2013
    Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.