7.0

1. Apr 13, 2014
    For the first time ever, we have a cricket game that you can tell was made by a team who truly understand cricket. Rather than premeditate shots based on a ball marker, you have to bat like a real batsman. Rather than press a couple of buttons to bowl the same ball over and over again, the wide range and combinations of input means you have to bowl like a real bowler. This feels like cricket like never before.

The game is not perfect, and being a lower budget game, at the time of writing you will notice glitches and flaws on a reasonably regular basis, some minor, and some frustrating. However, the developer is extremely well connected with the community, listens and responds to feedback on a daily basis, and has promised free patches as time goes on to resolve the problems the community want fixed the most. Having been involved with the community I have no doubt that this is true.

Even despite the current issues, many of which will no longer exist over the coming months, this is the best cricket game of all time.
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    The first game that ever gives a proper cricketing experience. No other cricket game even comes close to the realism, experience and replay value that this game provides.
    BigAntStudios need to fix the issues and bugs and can be a perfect 10.
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    For overwhelming majority of us this is the best cricket game ever made, this game captures the intimate and most complex intricacies of the great game of cricket. Whole hearted congratulations to BigAnt Studios for nailing the game-play sure this might not be your run of the mill fifa headed by EA in terms of polishing and graphics but given the market and relatively unknown studio they have done what even the most accomplished has not ever ventured into.As far as the game is concerned the negligible bugs and glitches would be ironed out in the first patch as early as end of this week. After most of the people would agree that this game would be a solid 10. Again not sounding like a broken record from the bottom of my heart Thank-you once again. Expand
  4. Apr 22, 2014
    Great 1st attempt by theses guys. Cricket is a hard game to make into a video game, but they've got it almost right. Great game - been addicted for days in Career Mode :-)

Definitely a 'simulation' over 'arcade' game when you play anything but the lowest difficulty level - highly recommended for cricket fans.

* Update: 1st patch now out which improves spotting fielders (which is a
    big thing trust me!) and team stats. There are still bugs / anomalies but hopefully these will be ironed out in future patches. Expand
  5. Apr 14, 2014
    Excellent Cricket game after a long time post BLC 99 where you could play every stroke in the book and excellent bowling mechanics which involves yourself as the person delivering the ball. I totally love the game as it requires good patience and learning skills as well as keeps you on your toes whilst playing the game.

I would love to have more stadiums, and bit of improvement in AI
    bowling and batting mechanics hopefully in the next iteration or some time in future with a patch.

All in all a big thank you to BIg Ant who have delivered a good product for the people who love the gentlemen cricket . I hope they deliver one edition every year.

I wish Ross and the BIg Ant all the best for the future and keep us smiling by developing future iterations of this game :).
  6. Apr 13, 2014
    Good game , a new experience overall in cricket game...This game changes revolution of future cricket games...
    Only some glitches in game made me to give 9/10,else it would be 10/10
  7. Apr 14, 2014
    The best cricket game ever has 'finally' arrived!!! What an awesome game. Have had some great matches so far and the amount of customization available is just mind blowing. The career mode is something that I see a lot of people enjoying for months. Yes there are a few flaws in the game (which game doesn't have that :p) but seeing that the developer is more than eager to fix the issues with patches, I think we are in safe hands and I can safely say that this game is what all cricket lovers had ever dreamt of. Great job BigAntStudios!! Expand
  8. Apr 14, 2014
    As others have said cricket games are very hard to make, it's one of the most intricate and rule-laden games in world sport and is loaded with statistical information on just about any aspect of it. So of course that gives developers hundreds of more things to think of than someone developing a soccer game for example.

With all this in mind, what Big Ant Studios have pulled off here is
    amazing. Even before we get to the actual gameplay itself, the range of options and customisation available to the user to create teams, players, field settings, umpires, you name it, is just insanely impressive. This all can be shared online with others across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, which is a totally new and amazing thing for any game.

When it comes to gameplay, the fundamentals of cricket (batting and bowling) have never been done better and fielding is the closest to a well implemented system yet devised.

When you bat it's all about picking up the ball as quick as possible and knowing exactly what length it's at, then it's line and then what shot to play all within about 3/4 of a second! Which sounds like hard work, but it should be too, because batting in cricket is not an easy thing at all in real life. With perseverance and some keen reactions you'll soon learn to hit the ball into the parts of the field towards where the ball is tracking.

When you bowl, there's many layers of options of delivery style to choose from to try and deceive a batsman into an erroneous shot and if you follow through with some practice, you'll be infuriating batsmen of a top calibre before you know it.

The game has been promised post-release support and up to 2 patches (at least) for any fine details that need a little improvement, just to make the game even better.

Online seems to function pretty well and I had no trouble finding opponents within a minute of being in the online component.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed and this is hopefully the first stop in the future of cricket games from a developer who obviously cares a great deal about the sports it handles. Marvellous effort that, Big Ant!
  9. Jul 2, 2014
    TIP - ONLY USE "Chunnster_Lives_" user-created teams (some re-shares from fans such as "IndianCricketYES")

WARNING: Unfortunately the PlanetCricket forum's trolls (ignore haters - as will just be forum members) voted each others' teams top of the rankings during the beta-phase, so you will end up with awful teams if 'download best teams' only (and your gaming experience will thus be
    vastly inferior!!).

The 'top' current generation teams are NOT the best (compare yourself).The top 60 is an in-house farce. (*edit - i will get 'not useful' votes from same trolls, proving they're trolls).
    Search further down the list / teams by "chunnster_lives_" (or fans like "IndianCricketYES" who have resubmitted a few of these teams and are top 100 with five stars but cannot overtake the FROZEN AT THE TOP teams).and you will see they are some of the best (likenesses, stats, linked to real-life stats and in-game players, gear edited, everything done) - but all 30+ are frozen at 3 stars - they cannot move up or down. An act done out of embarrassment and the insistence of the forum.
    It seems one of the BigAnt programmers is also a PlanetCricket forum troll and thus bitter about the threat / quality...They were all 5 stars but have now been frozen at 3 (an abusive act towards an altruist), due to the teams overtaking theirs at the top when neutrals (English, NZers, Indians) got to vote after game's actual release. Unprofessional at best - illegal and defamatory at worst. Basically, poor sportsmanship.
    The world (not a forum) wants the best teams - not the best amongst twenty spotty, unworldly, teenage (at best) forum trolls. Enough said. Let the people decide once have seen both.

Not being part of the forum and alerting them to my teams (which took months) was a terrible idea but I was innocently thinking they just wanted good teams - only sadly it is an ego exercise for them - but they thought only they were doing their (crappy) teams and closed ranks (as all bullies and lesser creative beings do), deciding to block vote down any team not theirs and so forth.... Disappointing.
    I use all 30+ created teams. And playing in the Black Caps (with that team) is a pleasure...
    I kept teams up even though got trolled (ratings-wise)... and now they seem frozen, as others have told me they voted on the teams but they do not budge (rest all do).. also If I go to resubmit or unshare them, they are frozen.... True Australian sportsmanship there for ya. LOLZ!! Sad... but true. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I put the community first though and keep the teams and players up for you regardless. I do not bow to terrorism. You are my priority, not me.
    So choose the teams and stuff you want, but be informed and be wary.. have a look within the teams you want.. and if you are a kiwi, there is only one team for you: New Zealand Black Caps... the other NZ teams are nonsense. I have domestic / rep sides too... the works....

Don Bradman Cricket 14 is a magnificent game IF you love, play and/or watch cricket. It is very nuanced.... so much so that (as is evident in the IGN review), some will misunderstand the game as they do the sport. It has innumerable touches and options... maybe three current bugs in total (player stats recording in current career mode and the non-striker grounding bat went sent back) to detract from a thousand golden strokes of genius... and they will probably patch them (they are good with post-game support as they were with their rugby league 2)

I have had it for 8 WEEKS and only bothered with career mode (after a day one slog out on amateur level world cup and so forth... also great fun) as it is so awesomely fun. I am top 3 in the world, despite infrequent play.
    The game is deep, engrossing and yet, once controls are understood and many games have been played, enormously simple and fun. See ball... hit ball!! FYI - if you are a fan of international cricket or IPL or NZ / NZ domestic.... ensure you search and download the 'chunnster_lives_' teams... or at least check them out...I am sure a licensed kiwi team couldn't look better... SO loving it! 8-)

It has the one thing cricket games and fans demand - subtle variability!! It feels largely unscripted.... and you will find yourself losing rhythm at the crease, finding form.... all the things a sports game struggles to replicate... even the biggest titles ever made.

The best cricket title ever? EASY!! I laugh at the suggestion otherwise. Not even a talking point... I actually think (and yes I do like cricket, but also rugby and soccer et cetera) that is one of my top 3 favorite sports titles of all-time. It is a thumping title. The way it reflects the risk / reward and situational drama of the sport is second-to-none. Highly recommended... and stick with it.... its complex and endless control system is the key to its class. NO simple button press will save your soul here!! And you will premeditate at your peril! It is a sexy beast of a game. 9.3/10
  10. Apr 14, 2014
    What I can say is that Don Bradman Cricket 14 is a game for cricket gaming fans by cricket fans. For the first time we have finally gotten a decent cricket video game and it's an absolute blast to play. I rate it 8/10 and once minor issues are patched, which again is the first for a cricket video game, my score would move up to 8.5/10. A very solid effort from guys at Big Ant Studios and thumbs up to the DBC 14 team. Expand
  11. Apr 15, 2014
    Great game. Had to go to Northern Ireland to get a copy and well worth the trip. Game play is cool and after 15 hours of play I'm still bowling the a wide an over!!! this is exactly like real life...the best cricket game ever and will only get better.
  12. Apr 16, 2014
    In short, this is the best cricket game ever. Period. It'd take me all day to go into why, so I'll keep it short and sweet: it just feels like cricket. The control scheme has been implemented perfectly and for once bowling is actually more enjoyable than batting! What the game may lack aesthetically it certainly makes up for in gameplay and attention to detail (just go on youtube and watch gameplay videos and see for yourself - or just buy the game!). Yes, there are bugs (the main being patched within the next week I believe) but they don't detract from that gameplay in my opinion. The Cricket Academy is a genius creation and in my opinion is better than every possible license put together. For a first effort at a cricket game it is very, very good so my hat goes off to Big Ant for making such a great game. Expand
  13. Apr 16, 2014
    Easily the best cricket game ever… highly absorbing and a must buy for every cricket fan. The career mode is a new feature and keeps you hooked on for long… A few more stadium and licensed name for players in future versions would be nice
  14. Apr 16, 2014
    !!!! *Patch is through and now fielders have icon over head in outfield and other tweaks!!! Game is even more sensational now!!* !!! What a cracking title. A simulation rather than an arcade hit-out - and a really outstanding effort IMHO. Was stressed out when first started playing it, as I downloaded the 'best teams' and they were not at all good (especially the modern ones). Also the learning curve, especially in career mode, was pretty full-on (it sets you at pro level and lifts that level for international play)!
    Had to do a bit of hunting online and discovered some forums / groups were voting on their mates 'creations' early on (boys will be boys! But this lass will not stand for it, haha) and they have been at the top from the start (from beta stage apparently) and they do not shift. The same dudes vote down other teams as they rise up (!!). I wish some of my fellow Gen Y'ers would stop embarrassing us with this kind of desperate behaviour, but it is hardly surprising.
    I dug around, ignored the trolls talking up their own teams and sought out some neutral / objective information on teams / players. Than I struck gold....
    Thanks to "Chunnster_Lives_" (user / creator dude) I have the meanest Black Caps team now (I need, as mentioned earlier, for my team and players to look like their real world counterparts, especially the Andersons, Taylors, Neeshams and McCullums and co)... and his other international sides, world elevens and IPL squads are mean az as well!! I can even play HRV Cup t20 competition now!! Come on Northern Districts!! 8-)
    I have always been one of those gamers / girls that does not like no licences. I hate generic skin colour and fake gear and stat-less teams, so I was over the moon to find out facebook info on proper teams being made by an adult (chunnster_lives_)... skeptical for sure... but having seen the teams at the top of the table, i was honestly contemplating returning the game or selling (hard to return these days) due to the underwhelming top 50 (and beyond) teams.... they just had not been fully or even half finished (I even had multi-cloured bat handles when that takes two seconds to change)... and the likenesses were very lacking in detail and underwhelming, even at long range (playing).... But once I had the chunnster_lives_ teams downloaded with the player links and photographic quality Kyle Mills and Neesham and others... I was sold. Doubtless forum trolls and others will think I just am chunnster_lives_ so I implore you to just go check them out for yourself. Just choose what you like, but do not be a sheep and go for the eye-sores riding high. You will regret it.
    Currently I am happy to declare this baby my GOTY.... certainly the best sports title of the year. If you dig cricket, you'd be crazy not to own it. Just do not cry and stress when see the teams high in the rankings... they are not the best teams.... but there are some wicked units uploaded and some real diamonds in the rough (and creators have done some good old teams from like the 40s and ***, but they do not interest me).... I do not know what is the reason for the ratings system not working, I have learned to ignore them (the stars)....
    If you have made all the teams / players yourself (I could not be bothered, though tried, it takes days and days it seems to do one team) and have a cracking set of teams or players then you are good to go!! But otherwise, try and track down a good creator like 'chunnster_lives_' or you may find yourself unnecessarily disappointed. Basically I learned the obvious rule of reading information on forums that eluded me before that..... they are talking each other up and searching, inwardly, outwardly, for some form of recognition... lonely, propped up like deflated warriors over their keyboards and dreaming of human love, they forget that any sense of 'fame' for making teams is imagined and a tad sad... the community wants the best teams OVERALL / in the world and teams, no offence, by adults preferably... The ones done by those young forum guys were alright, considering their adolescence..... but as a follower of cricket (above gaming or anything else)... it was the teams by 'chunnster_lives_' (others too, but not 20-plus by the same creator, so it is easier to recommend him) that seemed authentic to me.... as if the teams had asked him to do them for them or something, ya know? The others were all very "oh, that'll do".. "close enough" kind of stuff.... As an informed gamer and cricket fan, I did not want the best of the worst by some kids, I wanted the best. Got them now. So, be informed / vigilant when you get your teams.... the top ain't the top peoples... that's all I can say. The game itself is just too fun.. grab yourself a copy and give it the old whackity-doo!!
  15. Apr 17, 2014
    This is the best cricket game ever since Brian Lara 99. In few weeks after couple of patches it will be a perfect game. After patch 1 game has gotten more smooth. IT has steep learning curve but its worth the effort .
  16. Jun 29, 2014
    This Game beats all.. DON BRADMAN CRICKET.. What a game to play.. The graphics and the player resemblance are not good.. But, OMG, this have got absolute stunning dynamics and shot variations. FIFA's, NBA and nothing stands to this games variation factors... And. . . Career Mode.. That keeps you addicted... Its too hard to learn this game, but it gives you all the great excitements of Cricket... Expand
  17. Jul 3, 2014
    Having played numerous cricket games over the years it's great to see a game written by people who understand the game, and also have focused on making sure you are in control of every aspect of the game.

While EA like to rig their games with pseudo control and scripting I'm impressed that the developers can proudly show close up reviews of bowling and batting to give you close eyes on
    decisions which are invariably correct

WELL DONE Big Ant - please keep it coming!
  18. Apr 16, 2014
    Game is full of bugs and glitches that have to be seen to be believed. Some things I look at and just wonder how can this have been released in this form, given all the release delays and shoddy games that have come before?

Career mode is broken despite it being the game's biggest drawcard. Brad Haddin bowls more overs than Doug Bollinger. Its also very boring and shallow. Teams never
    change over the course of 20 years, fixtures are broken, no injuries, play at tthe same boring and unlicensed stadiums over and over.

Fielding is cataclysmically botched. A complete abmoniation.

Customisation is good with the cricket academy - Ill give them that.

AI is broken - they can't bat to save themselves and the difficulty imbalance between batting and bowling means matches against the AI are non-competitive, frustrating, unrealistic and predictable. AI will always lose wickets in the middle order again and again. Skill points assigned to players make absolutely no difference to how they perform.

Head to head matches aren't any better unfortunetely. The shoddy cameras make it impossible to play.

The learning curve for batting is far too unreasonable. The polar opposite to bowling. To actually make runs you have to exploit the game's weakness and hit to the legside every ball. To not bowl out the AI for over 150 you actually have to try. AI is pathetic.

Online is completely broken and unplayable on PS3. Bugs online are on par with Ashes 13, with some really weird yet comical stuff happening. At least its good for a laugh but thats about it.

Graphics look dated - Ive seen games 5 years older look better. Only a handful of stadiums too - so not sure why they couldnt have made these things better.

A great disappointment - doesnt live up to the legendary name sadly. To pay this price for it is not value for money - there are many other sports games out there of higher quality going for a third of this price.

An overhyped, disgrace of a game.
  19. Apr 19, 2014
    One of the best cricket games to date, the game demands patience and rewards the players with its amazing game play experience. I know there are a few bugs but BigAnts dedication to listening to and improving the experience further is really creating a franchise on par with Big Budget multimillion dollar games with massive advertising budgets. DBC 14 - Game changer!!!
  20. Sep 8, 2014
    Hey..sorry guys..dis is not a review..i wanted to know if dis game works on PS4 too..m new to the gaming world..ur help is appreciated!Thanx once again?n if not..which is the best cricket game for PS4?

1. Jun 3, 2014
    It is strong when it comes to emulating cricket, and gameplay mechanics are better than anything we've seen from cricket games over the last few years. However, the so-called "budget" feel that permeates the title detracts from an otherwise decent effort. [Issue#148, p.125]
  2. It may not have any competitors, but it's one that is sure to impress fans. [May 2014, p.80]
    While I fully acknowledge that Don Bradman Cricket 2014 isn't the finest sports game out there and isn't a patch on the production values of, say, FIFA, Madden or NHL games, it does generally play a good game of cricket, and this is the game that we fans of the sport have been waiting for, so with that in mind I'll reemphasise this; this is the greatest cricket game ever produced.