Doom 3 BFG Edition PlayStation 3

6.5

1. Nov 11, 2012
    I really enjoyed playing the 2 original versions on this game as i knew i would but was a bit disappointed with the clunky 3rd version of doom. the game was fun and deserves a 7 on the first 2 games alone. if it was just the new version on the disc i would rate this 3 out of 10 which is a shame as i was really excited about a new doom.
  2. Oct 17, 2016
    Doom 3 was a clear change from the two previous games, clearly looking over survival horror games and did stand out when he came out but did he deserved a remaster ? And what is the quality of this remaster ?

First technically its almost identical to the original game, there's even some framerate issues that remain, so from now on if you already possess the game(s) (there's also Doom 1 & 2 includes but you have to like retro gaming as nothing changed from the 90's) you already have no interest in buying this more expensive version. Otherwise the setting is creepy as hell and does a good job to make you feel in an hellish mars station.

Concerning the gameplay I will focus on Doom 3 as I consider the two other games as bonuses (like in the last Wolfenstein) the FPS mechanics are a bit too slow in my opinion, when I play a Doom game I expect to have frenetic enemies that come from every side with a fast character to respond. In this game, according to their wish to make it more like a survival the pace is pretty slow and even for the final boss I didn't feel any adrenaline rush in me. On the other hand you are given an handful of cool guns to destroy demons which was nice. You're always given a lot of ammo and healing items so it kills all the survival side and just give a (very) gore side to the game, it's where it belongs, if only the pace wasn't in the survival side.

The story is cheap as you would expect from a game like that : mad scientist, rule the universe, demons. It didn't bothered me at all as I wasn't expecting something more, but if you're reading those reviews because you want to know more about the game and if there's a good plot, the answer is no. To finish Doom 3 and its DLCs you can count for a little less than 20 hours, very good for a FPS and you also can add 12 more hours to finish the two first games.

In conclusion Doom 3 BFG is pretty average considering the lack of technical improvements and the flaws (pace and story) from the original game. But at least it is generous in its length and still advisable for FPS lovers, specially if you want to try true pioneers of the genre like Doom 1.
  3. Dec 20, 2012
    Um.... yeah. It was fun playing 1&2 for a couple hours, and I totally enjoyed 4 hours of 3 hours but after that you are simply running corridor to corridor like the CWYHCO (chicken with....). I don't know what to do anymore. Do I keep running around aimlessly or do I just give up. It was fun while it lasted and I'm sure I'll throw it in again. That's why it gets a good score. But it's notUm.... yeah. It was fun playing 1&2 for a couple hours, and I totally enjoyed 4 hours of 3 hours but after that you are simply running corridor to corridor like the CWYHCO (chicken with....). I don't know what to do anymore. Do I keep running around aimlessly or do I just give up. It was fun while it lasted and I'm sure I'll throw it in again. That's why it gets a good score. But it's not gonna set the world on fire. Expand
  4. Oct 28, 2012
    Do you love Doom? If the answer is "yes", then Doom 3 BFG edition is a no-brainer. This package contains the original Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3. The first two Doom games are bonafide classics. Sticking to the formula it invented, the original Doom titles stick you in a series of ever increasing mazes with more cannon-fodder than you can shake a chaingun at. Utterly timeless, they are as muchDo you love Doom? If the answer is "yes", then Doom 3 BFG edition is a no-brainer. This package contains the original Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3. The first two Doom games are bonafide classics. Sticking to the formula it invented, the original Doom titles stick you in a series of ever increasing mazes with more cannon-fodder than you can shake a chaingun at. Utterly timeless, they are as much fun to play today as they were upon their initial release. What's more, this package lets you play them on the couch! Doom 3 is also pretty fun. Because it's much more complex, the game's antiquated FPS style is a bit more jarring than the first two titles and lacks their immediate retro charm. That said, if you can get past the last-generation mechanics (which I could), Doom 3 makes for an atmospheric corridor shooter. A lot is made of this package's lack of extras and whatnot. Personally speaking, I don't care about that. I'm just super happy to be able to play Doom 1 & 2 on my sofa and I never actually got around to playing Doom 3 when it was new, so I'm chuffed to finally get the opportunity. Doom 3 BFG edition is recommended heartily to every game-fan that doesn't already have (multiple) copies of the originals. Expand
  5. Oct 19, 2012
    Regarding Doom 3, they made a lot of stupid decisions that have a lot fans upset, including poor audio conversations, limited control options, long save/load times, no dynamic lighting. These are issues not present in past editions of Doom 3 so fans have every right to be upset about them, if you are going to remake a game, it ought to be better than the original otherwise whats the point?Regarding Doom 3, they made a lot of stupid decisions that have a lot fans upset, including poor audio conversations, limited control options, long save/load times, no dynamic lighting. These are issues not present in past editions of Doom 3 so fans have every right to be upset about them, if you are going to remake a game, it ought to be better than the original otherwise whats the point? So yeah, it's not perfect, you can tell the game was a dirty PC port, however, I do not have a PC capable of playing Doom 3 anymore, so I can overlook all these technical problems pretty easily. At the end of the day, if these problems weren't brought to my attention, I'd probably never would have noticed. As for the game itself, is it still worth playing after 8 years? Yes, I believe so. While the game does feel very dated, it's still a blast and it's still scary, but if you're expecting a modern FPS, you will be disappointed as this game lacks many modern FPS mechanics. There is no cover system, there is no sight zoom, there are no big open areas, there is little story/cutscenes, it is a very simple shoot and run gameplay, which is all I've ever wanted from my shooters anyways. Doom 1 & 2 however, are perfect PC ports (or rather XBLA ports) they look and play great and feature four player online and offline multi-player which I wasn't expecting. While I play Doom primarily for the single player campaigns I was still disappointed by the online offering, only allowing up to four players maximum on all three games, they really should have allowed for more players. Overall though, despite its nuances, I love this package, it's the only way for me to play these three games on the big screen and for that I'm grateful. Could it have been better? Yes, but it's still a competent package featuring three great games and a few expansions (which I've never played) so I am very happy with my purchase. Expand
  6. Nov 19, 2012
    I had Doom 3 for X-Box and I had a blast then. if you have this game, you could skip it with no real loss. I no longer had a copy, so I snatched it up for 40 bucks. I like it. I don't love it. Graphics are good, sound is okty and I love Doom and Doom 2.
    game worth = $39.99
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    I as a lot of other reviewers have had the original PC version from '04, Great reboot of a great game. I'm not going to re emphasise a lot of positive stuff mentioned in other user reviews, because the positive ones, are pretty much spot on except what i regard to be Negative points. The save checkpoints just spoil the atmosphere, the aim system on the guns are just not what we'reI as a lot of other reviewers have had the original PC version from '04, Great reboot of a great game. I'm not going to re emphasise a lot of positive stuff mentioned in other user reviews, because the positive ones, are pretty much spot on except what i regard to be Negative points. The save checkpoints just spoil the atmosphere, the aim system on the guns are just not what we're accustomed to anymore. If anything needed a rehash, it was that. Aiming feels 'shoot and hope it connects' no real accuracy. Guns feel underpowered, not like original doom where the shotgun was all you needed, you really do need to get up close and personal to feel any illusion of kick. For a game that boasts it's lighting effects and detail (which is spectacular in some parts) where are the muzzle flashes from the weapons? Think a stroboscopic effect while firing as demons charge towards the character would def add to atmosphere! An option that could be turned off for those who are affected by strobe effects. The 3D is pretty good and well implemented. Loses marks for weapons, aiming and weapon effects. Otherwise this would get an 8. Expand
  8. Nov 29, 2015
    Having been a Doom fan for years I really wanted to like this collection. Right from the start though I had issues with the game though. The entire menu loaded up as file names I couldn't understand that didn't disappear until later in the game; the game itself freezes constantly and I continually lost progress since I had to restart entire levels and overall there wasn't much of anHaving been a Doom fan for years I really wanted to like this collection. Right from the start though I had issues with the game though. The entire menu loaded up as file names I couldn't understand that didn't disappear until later in the game; the game itself freezes constantly and I continually lost progress since I had to restart entire levels and overall there wasn't much of an overhaul in the graphics or the controls to make this a worthy purchase. Even the additional games aren't much when you can buy Doom:Classic Complete on the Sony store that contains more content. Overall I wasn't satisfied with this offering in the Doom franchise and help Doom 4 will kick ass. Expand
  9. Oct 24, 2012
    About the reviewer: I'm 30 years old and grew up with PCs and consoles of all sorts, starting with the Coleco Vision in 1983. I love emulators as they take me back, but you'll never see me playing a classic NES game for more than an hour at a time. I'll admit I've been spoiled by the latest developments in gaming technology, but I still respect older games for the nostalgic value. InAbout the reviewer: I'm 30 years old and grew up with PCs and consoles of all sorts, starting with the Coleco Vision in 1983. I love emulators as they take me back, but you'll never see me playing a classic NES game for more than an hour at a time. I'll admit I've been spoiled by the latest developments in gaming technology, but I still respect older games for the nostalgic value. In summary, I'm not a self-entitled brat and I am capable of reviewing games in the context of the time they were released.

Onto the review: Doom 3 BFG edition is getting a lot of scathing reviews and I've noticed that many of these reviews contain false information. If you dislike a game, ok, but don't make up false info to support your whine-fest.

I played Doom 3 on a very beefy PC when it came out. I loved every second of it. I'm a huge horror fan and it takes a LOT to scare me... but doom 3 knew what scared me. Though I was aware of the shortcomings in gameplay (repetitive combat, monster closets, etc), I still thought it was a masterpiece and a milestone in gaming technology. So how does it hold up today? PRETTY DARN WELL.

It's no secret that this 8 year old game is showing its age in the graphics department, but it still looks good. Damn good. Doom 3 is all about lighting and a creepy atmosphere and I was blown away at how much this game still made me jump when I played the BFG edition. If mindless shooting and sudden jump scares are your bag, this game WILL deliver.

In regards to this new edition, I will attempt to document the changes and honestly as I possibly can:

Graphics: YES, the textures have been beefed up, regardless of what a lot of brats on here are saying. They are sharper, clearer, and some detail has been added (pock marks for skin, facial hair, etc). The character models, however, haven't been touched. No matter, they still look decent. Just don't expect "Crysis". Let's face it, the character models weren't exactly mind-blowing when Doom 3 was released in 2004, but again, this is a game about lighting and atmosphere. While I'm talking about lighting, it must be mentioned that the game's look has been brightened somewhat, which is a double-edged sword. Lights are now more vibrant both in brightness and color vividness. When lights shine, they shine beautifully, but they shine almost a bit too much. This game is supposed to be dark. Brightening the environments has inadvertently taken away some of the fear element, but it wasn't a big deal. It's also worth mentioning that the game DOES in fact run at a beautiful 60 frames per second (I understand Bethesda and ID had announced that they were having a hard time achieving this on the PS3. Evidently, that's been remedied). I did notice a small amount of screen tearing at various points, but these occurrences were few and far between. In regards to shadowing, it's all intact save for the flashlight effect (which is now a part of your armor, meaning you can shoot and light at the same time. For those who have never played Doom 3, you previously had to swap between your flashlight or weapon depending on the situation). Flashlights no longer cast shadows via obstructing objects. Not sure why they removed this, but I didn't even notice it until about halfway through the game so no big loss.

Sound: I keep hearing a ton of reports saying that many of the sound effects are missing. FALSE. I counted ONE instance of a missing sound, and I'm glad they removed it. There were only so many times I could hear the words "VIDEO LINK UP REQUESTED! VIDEO LINK UP REQUESTED!". Overall, the game sounds great in 5.1, though many of the sound effects have been mixed down a bit so they're not so jarring. Again, this is a double-edged sword. It's an easier game to listen to now but some of the impact is gone, though I must admit to always feeling the sound effects were too loud in the original release.

Save feature: This one is a bit annoying. The game advertised a new checkpoint system. What we actually get is an occasional auto-save that takes much longer than it should (10-15 seconds actually). Manually saving your game takes the same amount of time and requires you to go into the menu. Not sure why this couldn't be improved. Even the old Xbox port of this game had a quicksave button...

Package: Doom 1, 2, 3, 3's expansion, and an extra small campaign. That's a lot of playing time. This really is a full package and if you're a Doom 3 fan, you'll have an orgasm. If you aren't a Doom 3 fan, what right do you have reviewing a special edition of a game you don't like in the first place? Bugger off. Summary: I reviewed this game without comparing it to shooters of today, which is how it should be reviewed. That said, Doom 3 DOES still hold up. I was 100% honest about everything documented and had no intention of misleading you. If Doom 3 isn't for you, fine. Go back and review the original release.

1. Jan 7, 2013
    Had care and attention been given to those (not to mention some reworked visuals), it would've made for a far more compelling package instead of two classics saddled with three duds.
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Dec 4, 2012
    One thing that won't drive you crazy any more is your flash light. In the original Doom 3 you had to choose. Do you want to shoot your gun? Or do you want to see where you are shooting. Sure, it added to the suspense, but in terms of gameplay it wasn't very practical. [December 2012, p.85]
  3. Play UK
    Nov 30, 2012
    It's a shame that the main attraction - Doom 3 in HD with its add-ons - is (still) such a let-down. [Issue#225, p.79]