7.1

1. Oct 26, 2014
    A really fun and well done revive to the Double Dragon franchise. If you have a friend over and enjoy beat'm ups, this is a perfect choice. and for the price it is at it is perfect.
  2. Oct 9, 2014
    As an old school Fan of Double Dragon arcade and Nes I find this game to a mixed bag. The music is amazing and the visuals are adequate. Now as for atmosphere its gone from a Mad Max like vibe to the Teenage mutant Ninja turtles. The fighting style does not have the same feel and generally feels awkward.
    Last but not least some of the stages (haunted forest) just feel like filler.
    Good
    Last but not least some of the stages (haunted forest) just feel like filler.
    Good try developers but its got nothing on the original.
  3. Sep 23, 2014
    Odd thing, I HATED this game when it first came out. I kept getting my butt kicked and not understanding how to play the game. When I finally gave it a chance I fell in love with it and logged in almost 20 hours. Give it a chance guys.
  4. Jul 16, 2014
    This is a perfect reboot to a dead franchise. Might feel extremely difficult at first, but after some time, it gets pretty easy to understand. It has a nice art-style, and the 80s references are awesome. The game is full of puns, but very subtle ones. The soundtrack is one of the best, and you will love it if you are a Double Dragon fan. The length is OK, and the replay value amazing. ThisThis is a perfect reboot to a dead franchise. Might feel extremely difficult at first, but after some time, it gets pretty easy to understand. It has a nice art-style, and the 80s references are awesome. The game is full of puns, but very subtle ones. The soundtrack is one of the best, and you will love it if you are a Double Dragon fan. The length is OK, and the replay value amazing. This is simply a lot of fun, i just didnt expect so much awesome from a downloadable title. Expand
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    This is exactly what I as expecting from a Double Dragon reboot so I played it without the caution I normally approach these type of reboots. It has the classic gameplay with added twist of levelling up but that is something more in common with the NES version and the ability to revive the downed partner by rolling the cassette back with a pencil is pure '80s charm. This game is what it isThis is exactly what I as expecting from a Double Dragon reboot so I played it without the caution I normally approach these type of reboots. It has the classic gameplay with added twist of levelling up but that is something more in common with the NES version and the ability to revive the downed partner by rolling the cassette back with a pencil is pure '80s charm. This game is what it is and that's an enjoyable brawler but I would have loved to see a port of the original like the one XBOX owners got a few years ago and even if it was thrown in as a bonus unlockable . Expand
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    Double Dragon Neon is a colourful and amusing reboot of the original Double Dragon franchise. The most important thing to take into account here is that this game does not take itself very seriously, and is a reminder of what a video game is supposed to be; fun.
    At its core its a classic 2D side scrolling beat-em-up with truckloads of 80's references for your amusement. There's a light RPG element in terms of a cassette tape upgrade system which adds a lot to the replayability. The visuals and animation are great, and the game lays down a satisying fighting mechanic for you. In my opinion, the most memorable aspect of this game is the music; it's incredible. It's an original 80's inspired soundtrack which also has a few tracks poking fun at Rick Astley, NWA and Marvin Gaye. My personal favorite is the "training Wheels" power-up song.
    Plug in a second controller, and give this game a 9. You can even activate "friendly fire" for added fun.
    It's cheap, its fun, and you can trick your partner into missing a high five and laugh in their face.
    Double Dragon Neon is Radical.
  7. Dec 25, 2012
    I am only writing this review to counter the apply named "TheBadGamer"s "Review" of DD Neon. It was obvious that they had played for 10 or 30 minutes and hadn't bothered to read instructions included with the download. Firstly the control is smooth and there might be a slight problem with hit detection but if your flailing wildly at the air you shouldn't expect your punches to connectI am only writing this review to counter the apply named "TheBadGamer"s "Review" of DD Neon. It was obvious that they had played for 10 or 30 minutes and hadn't bothered to read instructions included with the download. Firstly the control is smooth and there might be a slight problem with hit detection but if your flailing wildly at the air you shouldn't expect your punches to connect anything but said air. This game can be somewhat difficult but heres where reading the included instructions before writing a blatantly biased review pays off.. the tape system and "tapesmith" located on various stages. The tapes serve to level up stats and increase power of the specials with you can change on the fly. The Tapesmith increases capacity of said tapes using bits you accquired after beating bosses. The whole experience isn't perfect by far... in fact the art style bothers me for one and not to mention the way the dragon twins speak and behave invokes the worst of the 80's. All in all I feel it's a better reboot than the pastel colored turtles in time travesty years ago. Expand
  8. MFZ
    Dec 17, 2012
    I'm on the last stage as I write this. If you like the old school game, you'll love this. 'Nuff said, really. I don't know why people are writing a huge amount about this game. The graphics, sound, control, and gameplay are solid. Don't let some of these weirdos steer you away from this game with their ridiculously negative reviews of it. There are very minor issues with hitI'm on the last stage as I write this. If you like the old school game, you'll love this. 'Nuff said, really. I don't know why people are writing a huge amount about this game. The graphics, sound, control, and gameplay are solid. Don't let some of these weirdos steer you away from this game with their ridiculously negative reviews of it. There are very minor issues with hit detection, but not what some of these guys are blowing it up to be. Expand
  9. Nov 29, 2012
    I must give my opinion on this game based on my experience playing it and not guided by my classic NES Double Dragon Nostalgia. The graphics are so so, and the control has some flaws but in the end work ok. I must say it's more fun to play whit a friend in co op mode that single mode. But if u liked the original game and are a hardcore fan of Double Dragon series, u will love this game. II must give my opinion on this game based on my experience playing it and not guided by my classic NES Double Dragon Nostalgia. The graphics are so so, and the control has some flaws but in the end work ok. I must say it's more fun to play whit a friend in co op mode that single mode. But if u liked the original game and are a hardcore fan of Double Dragon series, u will love this game. I know i do! Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2012
    WayForward Technologies brings us a throw back to 80's/90's beat-'em ups, and a spoof of children's television from the same time. Full Review:http://vidyabeer.boards.net/index.cgi?board=110&action=display&thread=6

Sorry, it's more than (5000 characters)
  11. Oct 4, 2012
    I can't help but feel that this childhood memoryn has been somewhat diminished, the game is way too easy even on max difficulty and the audio of the game is plain awful, cheesy one liners and an evil guy with a British voice. On the Plus side, the fighting is solid and entertaining but that's as far as it will stretch.
  12. Sep 26, 2012
    Fun, challenging and aimed for the masochist audience. It's great to play with a friend and it's torture to play alone. That being said, nice graphics and an interesting overhaul with a crazy atmosphere that constantly made me scratch my head saying, "wait, what? Was this in the original?". A cool downloadable game and worth its $9,99 price. An old school beat'em up with a current-gen feel.
  13. Sep 25, 2012
    Imagine, if you will, an 8 year old little boy sitting on the floor of his brown carpeted room surrounded by GI Joes and Ninja Turtles in front of a 300 pound, 24 inch television. He inserts his neighbor's copy of "Double Dragon" into his NES and presses the "on" switch. The screen blinks green and black repeatedly. So, he takes the game out of the system, blows on it and puts it back in.Imagine, if you will, an 8 year old little boy sitting on the floor of his brown carpeted room surrounded by GI Joes and Ninja Turtles in front of a 300 pound, 24 inch television. He inserts his neighbor's copy of "Double Dragon" into his NES and presses the "on" switch. The screen blinks green and black repeatedly. So, he takes the game out of the system, blows on it and puts it back in. He hits the power button and it works!

After getting through the title screen and its kickin rad intro music, he marches his in game sprite to the right, punching and kicking his way through street thugs. Then, he loses a life. Then another. Then another. Then he gets a "game over" screen and has to start over from the beginning.

4 hours later, this 8 year old has had one of the best times of his short life, even though he barely made it past the 2nd stage.

I have a lot of fond memories of wasting away hours playing really hard, really bad videogames. The nostalgia is wonderful and it fills me with joy to remember the innocence of my early days as a gamer.

However, those memories are just that: memories. My gaming palette has evolved. In 2012, I expect a game to have responsive, smooth controls. I expect collision detection to make sense. I expect QA to eliminate game breaking bugs.

Double Dragon Neon fulfills none of these expectations.

2D beat em' ups died sometime around the end of the Super Nintendo's life cycle. Games like Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and Turtles in Time had pretty much evolved the genre as far as it would go. Somehow, this game takes the innovations of the 16-bit era and discarded them entirely and decides to be a neon colored, clunky mess.

Take the controls, for example. While the button layout is pretty natural and fits with the style of the game, the execution of the button presses feel like sludgy trash. This, coupled with the awkward collision detection, make the game a frustrating nightmare. You end up taking a bunch of damage from enemies because of delayed reactions from your character. You miss hitting guys because you are outside of their hit box even when you are right in their faces. You miss hitting guys because they were immune to your swings, even though they didn't give you any kind of visual cue. Even Mike Tyson blinked before he beat you up in "Punchout"! Bad controls are 1988 jank that have no business in a 2012 release.

Even with the control issues, I was able to finish the game in 2 hours. For a 10 dollar price tag, this is entirely too short. They try to encourage multiple playthroughs by adding in powerups, co-op and unlockable difficulty settings, but none of these things make the game not play like hot garbage.

I ran into a few game breaking bugs, including one where an enemy would get stuck on the environment and would not allow me to advance in the level.

To deviate from the original game, they added unlockable power ups and stores to buy things within the levels themselves. I bought a bunch of extra lives. When I continued my save the next day, all of the lives I purchased were gone.

I get that nostalgia is all the rage, but putting out bad titles and slapping familiar names on them is insulting to our intelligence as gamers, and I hope that people will stop encouraging these lazy cash grabs by putting their wallets back in their pockets.
  14. Sep 17, 2012
    A surprisingly excellent game. This game should not be seen as some cheap port or a quick cash grab for nostalgia. This is not the failure of the TMNT remake from a few years ago. Instead, it is a lovingly produced game with many references to Double Dragon and many other classic video games, and comedic (and sometimes just silly) use of the 80's setting. It takes many cues fromA surprisingly excellent game. This game should not be seen as some cheap port or a quick cash grab for nostalgia. This is not the failure of the TMNT remake from a few years ago. Instead, it is a lovingly produced game with many references to Double Dragon and many other classic video games, and comedic (and sometimes just silly) use of the 80's setting. It takes many cues from classic beat-em-ups but adds a nice upgrade mechanic and a number of selectable special attacks. This adds enough depth to motivate you to play all the way though as you enjoy the scenes, over-the-top story, and amazing music. Don't be put off by some of the screenshots or gameplay videos, it plays great. Cheap, deep enough, and super fun! Enjoy! Collapse
  15. Sep 16, 2012
    Dd neon is one of the most surprisingly amazing ages I've played all year, and for many years prior. Its the beat me up I've always wanted minus a few small flaws. The overall goal of the game seemed to be that the developers didn't want to make a button masher. In this, they succeeded with flying colors and o the apparent ire of game critics. It's a highly technical game that is a joy toDd neon is one of the most surprisingly amazing ages I've played all year, and for many years prior. Its the beat me up I've always wanted minus a few small flaws. The overall goal of the game seemed to be that the developers didn't want to make a button masher. In this, they succeeded with flying colors and o the apparent ire of game critics. It's a highly technical game that is a joy to play. There's no spazzing out on the controls and hoping to do something tht looks cool on screen and makes you feel good about yourself. If you don't play with your brain, the game will feel sluggish. The benefit, though, is that you actually CAN play with your brain which is incredibly rare for this genre. Moreover, if you get hit, you know it's because you screwed up, and there's never a doubt in your mind that good players can play through the whole game without taking damage. The games sense of humor is at the same time outlandish and yet wittily restrained. For instance, one second the main villain is calling you "knob sniffer" and the next second billy will have picked up a gun, and instead if using it to shoot, will either beat people with it or throw it at them. The restraint at the joke is what gives Dan it's sence of wit and masterfully aiming at both being clever and vulgar. In the end, people who dislike the game seem to be ad that it doesn't play like a remake of the old games, and then seem to add on "and nobody wants to play those games anyhow". On the contrary, if you love engaging games that force you to pay attention, and even ask you to replay scenes when your skills don't yet meet the challenge, this game is a gift from heaven for you. Expand
  16. Sep 17, 2012

1. Nov 29, 2012
    Double Dragon Neon can be very frustrating, because it's unforgiving, fighting mechanics are a bit clumsy and the main character is sluggish. That's how you played games back in the day. Fortunately you don't have to anymore. [CD-Action 13/2012, p.79]
  2. Nov 27, 2012
    This is just a pretty bad game. [Issue#224, p.81]
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    If you're an old beat'em up lover, you can't miss Double Dragon Neon.