4.1

1. Mar 9, 2011
    I can't believe how much better this game is than Origins! The graphics are way better, the combat is actually enjoyable, and the framrate is smooth as silk. Another BioWare hit!
  2. Mar 8, 2011
    Bioware has done it again! DA2 is a brilliant game and fixes all the problems of Origins. The interface is much more streamlined (making it playable for console players) and the particle effects are especially dazzling on PS3. DA2 has everything a nerd could dream of in a sword and magic game. There is interesting story, romances you can engage in, crazy characters to meet, and really satisfying combat. On top of that, the game is extremely long and as a Bioware game, you can be sure that healthy servings of DLC will be on the way. Its going to take me weeks upon weeks to finish this game! Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is AMAZING! It has improved everything over the original. Graphics, combat, story telling, its all better. I don't know what the rest of these people are talking about.
  4. Mar 9, 2011
    After trying both DA:O and DA2 i can say for sure that DA2 improves a lot of things .. and while few changes might at first seem a downgrade .. they simply are for the better to the overall experience ... removal of ability to choose from three races is compensated by a framed narrative (along with time skips) and a more rewarding story with a protagonist that actually has a personality and a voice .. it is nothing as simple as SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL plot in DA:O .. sure DA:O has all those morally ambiguous tough decision to cover up for the cliche "save the world" story .. but those still exist in DA2 and even better since many of them take effect after time skips and you have to deal with the consequences of your choices sooner than you think .. add that to a story about the rise of the main character from a refugee to a hero and all the political struggles and friction between the different factions in the city and you have a very interesting story.

As for the combat .. i don't understand how can someone in their right mind like the cumbersome laggy fest DA:O combat was .. having "dice based" combat mechanics in a real time game is an atrocity .. it isn't turn-based nor is it hex based RPG .. it is real time .. the combat system must be responsive and fluid not cluncky and laggy like in DA:O ... and DA2 did it just right .. you move and attack with the fluidity of an action game (and just like any RPG in real time MUST be like) and still have all the tactical depth and strategy of DA:O intact (pause and issue order, FF damage on any difficulty higher than normal, AI tactics assignment, cross-class combos .. etc etc etc) .. and all those who claim otherwise have no freaking idea what they are talking about.

As for the Dialog and conversation wheel .. first i have to say i'm super glad the main character actually has a voice (because giving everyone and their grandmother a voice in DA:O except your own character was a bad joke) .. and the whole dialog wheel works just great and is slightly different from ME .. it rewards consistency and affects your tone and dialog even in conversations that doesn't involve much choice ... also the friend/foe system is quite nice and it rewards consistency as well .. just hoped there were bigger rewards than just a single passive skill .. but still quite a big improvement over DA:O.

As for the items .. while it might seem like a step back that you can only fully equip Hawk .. it is actually a step forward .. now whenever you get a new item you won't spend 20 mins checking the inventories of your entire party to see if someone might benefit from it .. it is just cumbersome and annoying .. i'm not playing an RPG version of Sims .. i want to play the game itself not stare at menus for 20 and 30 mins arranging and managing a bazillion items for half a dozen characters .. blah .. you can still upgrade your characters gear and also quip them with accessories .. fair enough and makes the game far more accessible and playable.

As for the grahpics .. yes .. it isn't top of the line indeed .. but for me a great art direction like in DA2 more than makes up for it ... i don't care if they don't use technology (X) or technology (Y) or if the shadows are or aren't dynamic .. only graphics junkies do care about this nonsense .. the art direction in DA2 triumphs the extremely generic fantasy art and soulless designs of DA:O and looks very close to the concept art.

Finally i have to say DA2 is an excellent game that improved a ton of things from DA:O and is a move in the right direction .. the only thing it might be lacking in is content .. it should have been lenghtier than it is now .. but it is forgivven since you will replay it over and over again.

a final note: to all the DA:O fanatics how keep making "zero" score reviews (probably using multiple accounts) .. you guys are a joke .. shame on you .. if anything you have shown how desperate you are .. really people .. get a life.
  5. Mar 9, 2011
    Bought the game yesterday at GameStop--wish I had known about the BioWare Signature Edition that everyone else was picking up. Started playing it at around 9:30 and the next thing I know it's 5am?!?!?!!! This game is AWESOME! Didn't play the first one, but hot damn this game rocks. Not sure what everyone is complaining about.
  6. Mar 9, 2011
    Improved upon in almost every way. More immersive, better storytelling mechanics (especially the fact that relationships develop over a series of years) and combat is just downright more fun. If you think the graphics are worse than the original, you are lying to yourself. The combat is strategic as ever, just FASTER AND MORE FUN. The abilities all actually DO something, unlike DA:O where you spent points on things you would never use. And if you really have a problem with the dialog wheel, go play D&D in your basement. Interactive cinema is what its all about. Collapse
  7. Mar 10, 2011
    My favorite RPG game now. Thanks Bio ware for best 40 hours of my gaming life! The best characters ever, the best gameplay and the best storyline. Dragon Age 2 > Mass Effect 2 and all rpg (gothic, oblivion etc)
  8. Mar 10, 2011
    Nice game, i like everything in it: graphic is coll, fight is fast and bloody, story is epic, every characters has own point of wey, all in this game call player to stay with it!!!)
  9. Mar 9, 2011
    I am a die hard PS3'er and I enjoyed the first game except that the combat was cludgy and difficult to manage tactics between characters. This version, imho, has taken and rebuilt the combat issues into a manageable console experience that I find very immersible and fun. I loved ME2 and the feel of DA2 just elevates what they did right in ME2 to make this game find its place in my library. I tend to agree with Tesseract, this may not be what the PC gamers wanted, but it is exactly what I was looking for in an rpg. I am just disappointed in the tactics that EA uses to stop the resale and re-playability of games by issuing codes that have to be purchased to experience the full gaming experience. There are ways of trying to stop piracy without compromising our efforts to resale or loan titles to friends. EA you are stepping over the line. Expand
  10. Mar 10, 2011
    An excellent game. Very engrossing and time consuming. An improvement over the first in both graphics in combat. Fighting enemies is faster, and surprisingly more violent. Definitely worth the sticker price. I guess I can see why some would be upset at the changes but for this gamer they are a welcome improvement. Even the Facebook game you gain access to is fun.
  11. Mar 10, 2011
    For me? i score it 9/10

i must say that this game is one of those, that you must play based in what you see and NOT in what you read. i just toke a risk buying it, and im pretty happy i did. Certainly the dislikes from ppl came because of the change on the direction on history line and some gameplay changes. i have 7 Hours Playing already, and as RPG fan, this change was quite enjoyable.
    i was waiting for a little more of graphical improvement, but the changes are OK to me.

IS NOT A BAD GAME, but they changed the direction about to DAO. They did Add a little more action to it. They did it more like Mass Effect Style, and that its what some DAO´s fan dont accept. i Love DAO and ME as well, so this DA2 is great for me.

Could be Better? of Course, we can allways Want more from Bioware, this time we was waiting for a lot more. and i think that is the real problem.
  12. Mar 10, 2011
    Dragon Age 2...feels like its a prologue and an epic won at that...after the ending i kind of got the feeling that there is something epic coming to the dragon age world...something that would make an RPG game that would set the standards for years to come..and this is coming from a adamant bethesda fan...if bioware make a Dragon Age 3 its going to be the game of the century based on the fact that bioware in the last two games have been subtly building up to something...in fact dragon age 2 feels more like a dragon age 1.5 in story terms. i wont spoil the ending for you, and although your kind of suprised by it, it will leave a impression and get you wanting more. Expand
  13. Mar 11, 2011
    BioWare has done it again with their most fantastic title to date! Everything from the character interaction to the graphics have been fleshed out making Dragon Age IIâ
  14. Mar 16, 2011
    this game has it's good and bad. 1st the bad, i don't like that i have to have anders in every party. he's designed to be the healer, unless your MC, is a mage then you can make him the healer. that's really weak, i don't want to be a healer i wanna destroy the enemy as a mage. not all mages can learn the same abilities, weak. aveline is designed to be the tank, well i don't like her character she's what sten was in the DA:O, never used. i don't like the fact that when i'm at the estate, which is like party camp in DA:O, i don't have access to all of my party members. IMHO it feels like enemies don't drop enough coin. have you seen the prices of some of the gear? ridiculous! oh and the same map for every dungeon, warehouse, and mansion come on really?! now for the good, i really like the covo wheel. the party members have some really interesting things to say while running around. the story i think is great. combat system is awesome and yes i button mash until i have to micromanage, hate if you want. the graphics are better. i like that i don't have to micromanage everyones armor just their weapons unless it's bianca, dirty minx. i haven't beat the game yet and i have over 45 hrs. in the game. i've only heard that the cap level is 50, i haven't confirmed it though. DA:O cap was 20 something w/o the DLC, that's lame. don't listen to all the critics and user reviews. instead read them and decide if it's for you or not. you're the only person who can say, for you, that this or any other game is fun, great or horrible. i am enjoying it. Expand
  15. Mar 16, 2011
    As with all things, my expectations shape my over-all view of the product's quality. Judged on its own, Dragon Age 2 is a fantastic game. I found the game-play to be extremely enjoyable insofar as I was able to strategically plan out my attack and then get in on the action by taking direct control of a character. Funneling enemies into a trap or a crossfire never gets old and the combo-attacks are very satisfying. This is the foundation for what could be the best form of RPG combat--at least for my tastes. The graphics are bit lackluster compared to such games as Mass Effect and Uncharted but do not prohibit the player from being immersed in the game. The voice-acting is top notch and the story-telling is superb. The fact that I enjoyed the story so much is a testament to the direction, script, and acting since the plot was lackluster--oscillating between vapid and banal with only a few exciting points (though those points are really exciting). Then why not give the game a 9? Unfortunately, the more defined my expectations, the harder it is to be accepting when those expectations are not met. I loved DAO so much and have never been so immersed in a videogame's story before. Accordingly, I had some expectations about the trajectory of the sequel, including expectations for answers to questions, filled-in plot-holes, and further developed story-lines. None of these were addressed in DA 2 and what made it worse for me was that DA2 has certain parts, which unfortunately turned out to be minor,that ostensibly could have been tied to those plot-lines (an example of a missed opportunity that quickly springs to mind are the lyrium relics in the deep roads somehow connected to the Architect from Awakenings). Am I disappointed? Depends on my perspective. I liken my experience with DA2 to a date with a girl who you've placed on a pedestal but ended up just being friends with. Lovely woman who is a great friend but turned out to be nothing like you expected, romantically. If anything less than the girl of your dreams is a disappointment then I'd be disappointed. If I appreciate gaining a wonderful friend, then DA2 is by no means a regrettable experience (not to mention a lesson about tempering my own expectations) and was worth the $60. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys good storytelling but caution fans of DAO to view this game not as a sequel but as a game simply within the DA universe. Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2011
    I think it's a great improvement over the first one! I don't understand what everyone else is b*tching about. The combat system is noticeably improved, and I like it. I love the new graphics as well.
  17. Mar 10, 2011
    Dragon Age Origins was a good game. It had an interesting story, interesting characters and quests and good tactics combat. However it suffered from ugly outdated visuals, lack of proper controls for the ps3 (controlling a character with the stick felt very loose and the characters themselves felt weightless), no sense of immediacy (you sent someone to do an action, you didn't do the action with the press of a button) and ..tactics combat. I didn't like the strategic tactics combat of the first, it never drew me in and although I have put more than 70 hours in that game it felt like a choir and I only did it for the story. It also suffered from a lot of micromanagement and combined with a bad font type that was just too small for a 40 inch LCD it resulted in sore eyes. In this respect Dragon Age 2 is a major improvement to say the least. This time the game looks good, in fact at times it looks great, the character models are good and detailed, the background is nice, the buildings and castle walls look great. The controls are tight this time, the characters have some weight and although they move fast and swing great swords with much ease, the feel is right. The combat is a lot more action oriented with the immediacy that I mentioned earlier. You hit X and the character lands a blow. This way the combat is a lot more satisfying although tactics fans will disagree. The excessive micromanagement is gone, and the menus are well designed. Overall the game is more streamlined and console friendly but that's not a negative thing for ps3 owners. Also gone are the endless lines of petty dialogue that led nowhere. The conversations now are more to the point and this time thanks to the mass effect wheel it's easy to understand the motions that hide beneath the phrases so you know what to choose.

So, to sum things up I would say that DA2 is a more streamlined action RPG game than it's predecessor but without sacrificing depth for looks. The tactics game is still in there for those that prefer it but now it appeals to the action gamer as well. Unless you are a die hard old school RPG player that refuses to accept its changes, you will probably like this game.
  18. Mar 10, 2011
    So, Dragon Age 2. This is an amazing game which involves a great story, interesting characters and fantastic action. Great job Bioware! I can not wait, Mass Effect 3!
  19. Mar 10, 2011
    Gameplay is fluid, fun and easy to learn. There's enough variation too keep you intrigued. Some stuff could get stale, and the story starts off somewhat annoying which is why a 9/10 and not 10/10. After playing DA:O on the PC and enjoying it I'm glad I still picked up for ps3, it is just as fun of an experience but this time I don't have to dish out $400 to upgrade my PC in order to run it on max. Don't listen to the people giving it 1/10, they're just pcfanboy trolls who are upset that Bioware understands the importance of a large market. Expand
  20. Mar 10, 2011
    Everyone needs to stop be whiny little babies about the changes. I played Origins four times through and I loved that game. I did the side quests, got into the story, and enjoyed the battle system. With that being said, I just finished Dragon Age II and I can tell that it's just as good as the original. People are picking up the game for the first time and coming on here and complaining about it because it's not the game that they fell in love with in the first place.

I finished the second game and it has so many of the same things as Origins that you people haven't even realized yet. The story seems a lot less epic, but it really isn't. Once you start getting into the story points, it really brings you in. The combat is faster and doesn't seem like a game out of the '90s like Origins. Choices are still there, so I don't understand that complaint at all. I actually feel like choices are a bigger part of the story than they were in the first game.

I'm not trying to insult people, but the majority of these reviews came in the day the game came out. Get over yourselves and actually play the game and give it a chance before you run to the internet to complain about it. After beating this game, I can say with certainty that I like it just as much as the original. Sure, some things could have been fixed. I don't need to see what emotion each conversation choice is conveying. I like to be able to figure those things out myself, but all in all the game is an improvement in many areas.
  21. Mar 11, 2011
    Improved on Origins in almost every way... not sure why some people don't like it but IMO it was awesome.
    I can't wait for some more DLC to come out.
    Very Satisfied!!!
  22. Mar 11, 2011
    If you play more than 6-8 hours it is good, if you play more than 12-15 hours it is really good, and if you play 35-40 hours are you finished :( Its a nice game, down play the demo and say it sucks ore play 2 hours and say it sucks...after a while it gets really exciting and tactical more than DA:O.
    PS: I not kidding you i have played each RPG the last 20 years, Dragon age 2 is good!
  23. Mar 11, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG in the world. Unlike the first part of the game is 10 hours and she's fun and interesting. I do not understand people who put her 0 and 1. You even played in it?? Why spoil a game rating? Do nothing else or what?
  24. Mar 14, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is an incredible game. The story is engaging and the action is very fast-paced. I was a fan of Dragon Age: Origins. I played through that game about 5 times already since it's released. These playthroughs include the Expansion and all the DLC for each playthrough. Suffice to say, I adored Dragon Age: Origins. I feel like Dragon Age 2 expands and improves on everything Dragon Age: Origins did. The story-telling, the graphics, the action, the characters, and the villains. All were improvements on the first game and this time the story is a more personal one as opposed to a sweeping epic like the first one. While there are games coming out in 2011 that I'm expecting to usurp it, at this moment I can say that Dragon Age 2 is my favorite game to date in the 30+ years I've been playing games. Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2011
    I have to give this game a ten just to balance the score! My honest number would be closer to nine

Dragon Age 2 improves a lot of things if you bought the game for PS3. I understand how PC players are frustrated though. Bioware removed the isometric camera and took out certain elements from the game that will most certainly annoy the Baldurs Gate generation. I'm in the third act at the
    moment and the game is very entertaining. The story has more depth this time around and the voice acting works really well. I'm slightly dissappointed with the removal of other races but that's what happens when you decide to give a voice to the main character, compromises compromises.

I would have liked the option of being able to customize the equipment of all your team members but atleast you can give them weapons and rings. People are obviously overreacting at the moment. I don't know how you can justify a score between 0-4 for PS3 version unless you're just trying to troll. YES, DRAGON AGE 2 HAS BEEN CONSOLIFIED. So give a low score in the pc section of metacritic but not here. BOTTOM LINE : DO NOT trust the reviews! Yes, the game has decided to abandon a lot of old school rpg elements but most of these people are just pissed off teenagers and pc elitists from rpgcodex / **** This game is still great if you can appreciate it as a stand alone title. Do not go in expecting to play a remake of the original or Baldurs Gate. It's a consolified action RPG.
  26. Mar 16, 2011
    Why would they do this? What was so broken that it needed such drastic actions? I don't understand anything...of the user complaints. Dragon Age 2 has been criticized for being too easy, dumbed down and bland. I will discuss the gameplay first, then talk a bit about the setting and story. DA2 is not easy. Yes, if you pick normal in DA2 it's easier then in DA:O, but you can go up in difficulty if you want a better challenge. Personally, I'm playing hard, and have met quite some interesting challenges. It's even nice that you can play the game pretty easily on normal, so that everyone can enjoy the game without the but-you-played-on-easy-shame. Just pick the difficulty that fits you, and the too easy problem is fixed. I guess it's just too hard to switch to another difficulty. I seriously don't get what's the problem with dumbed down. The skills are well distributed and tons of combinations are possible. While finishing my first game as a two-handed-weapon fighter, I was already thinking how I would make my new two-handed-weapon fighter play different. I've also been moving my characters around a lot more then in DA:O, and not just because I needed to clear the way for a mages fireball. Friendly fire has been disabled, which I applaud since that does not belong in a realtime team-based RPG. Moving all the characters in DA:O before casting AoE was just annoying imo, and I'm glad its gone. The isometric top view is gone, which makes it a little harder to move around the characters or casting AoE spells, but its nothing that hindered me from having fun. The tactics work pretty good, and the AI is very decent. I still paused the game a lot in difficult situations, which is good. Potions and healing have a much bigger cooldown, so health is a valuable resource again. The only problem I have with combat is that it's easy to kite an opponent, buying time until you can drink a new potion. It almost feels like cheating, especially if there are no ranged enemies nearby. Other then that, the combat is fun and quick while being tactical whenever you want it to be due to difficulty settings. It certainly made the game more enjoyable for me. Wrapping up gameplay, it has been one of the best for RPG's, surpassing DA:O.
    The story and setting have a hard time to hit off, but once it does, it sticks pretty well. I'm very happy with the character design and like everyone of the party. I have no idea why people would say it's so much worse then DA:O. However, getting to know a character better and finding out their likes has become somewhat more difficult. The friendship between the characters must develop over the whole game, which sometimes gives an odd feeling. Why can't I talk about an issue now? What do you even like? I don't want to wait 3 years to develop something! Because of these obvious secrets, the characters grow enigmatic, even though they're not meant to be like that. Another thing that is a bit annoying about the story is that because everything is spit into acts, your character only develops significantly at the end of each act. This feels a bit unrewarding. I'd liked to see Hawke gain a normal job, rising in ranks, rising it stature etc. not only at the end of each act. One thing that is annoying in my eyes, is the derailing of the story which is almost mandatory. The game plays in different acts, and every act has 4 to 5 main quests to proceed the story. All other 30 or so quests are sidequests. It's nice to have sidequests to know the city better, but I think they slightly overdone it. The game can be played as a collection of sidequests if you don't know where you're heading, especially in Act 1. This underlines the unrewarding feeling of character development. The sidequests can also be hard to find sometimes, leaving you with the " did I miss something?" feeling a bit to much. I have mixed feelings about the environment. Kirkwall is a great city, but "propped" down a lot. Most people seem static, and if it wasn't for the sidequests, the city might feel dead. The other environments are also pretty grey, like the bonepit and sundermount. This leaves the game in a grey tint, never being refreshing like the forests in DA:O. The graphics look pretty good, but certain animations are still to clunky. especially when two characters are interacting, the suspension of disbelief breaks immediately. The game could do with a little more ambiance. The moral choices you have to make are again suburb, and the dialog wheel, even though it influences your choices to much for my taste (I want to say A, but I don't want to break my character who mostly says B), it gives Hawke some character. THANK GOD they did not made the important choices be influenced by the wheel!
    Wrapping it up together, I enjoyed DA2 alot, and I'll keep playing it to explore different situations and tactics. It certainly has some setting problems, but it's still a lot of fun.
  27. Mar 12, 2011
    This game is Very good but still has a few Flaws that I was hoping Bioware could of fixed,like the story is for the most part was Lacking and the game has a few Glitches and bugs that need to be ironed out but besides that Dragon age 2 is cool.
  28. Mar 17, 2011
    now im a little confused as to whats going on here. for one there is a bunch of idiots on here rating this game over and over with zero's..for one there is no such thing as a game that can rightfully be rated a zero, so if you rated a zero you are a moron, just saying. my next issue is that so many people complained about dragon age origins? and now that bioware did what you wanted your against them? if you have a problem with a company who does things for the consumer....then your either a troll, or someone who should quit playing video games. now for the review! this is a fantastic game, based on the story of Hawke. hawke is said to be the single most important character in the dragon age lore, and you get to play his story and live his struggles and triumphs. the story is really good and the combat is excellent, the combat is super smooth and very satisfying. most of the characters are really good. there was one that i hated but that just added to my enjoyment of the game. its not as long as origins, and its not on as grand of a scale as origins either, which is a shame cause i was really looking forward to exploring orlaise and some other places. the only thing i didnt like was the recycled dungeons and side quest maps, but these are small complaints for such a vastly improved game. i cant wait for some more dlc and some expansions. i look forward to what bioware will bring me next in the dragon age saga Expand
  29. Mar 12, 2011
    Everything is great in this game!!!Meet the Best Rpg for teen years Dragon age 2!!! I love this game!! I complete the game already and i want more play it.i want more adventures,i want more dlc which tell us about Hawke s fate)))dont listen people who give negative review its all flashmob
  30. Mar 12, 2011
    I think it is a very good game, has a fantastic characterization and the rpg system has been streamlined to only the armor of the characters in the party for the rest of the gameplay mechanics are like the first, especially if played hard difficulty, it also has a fantastic plotI think it is a very good game, has a fantastic characterization and the rpg system has been stre
  31. Mar 12, 2011
    What is going on with these reviews? It's odd- the game is pretty good. Yes, it's different. Yes it has faster paced combat. No it is not too easy for experienced players if they use the correct difficulty settings. It is certainly easier for a wider audience, the kind of people who don't want to spend 30 attempts on one battle, because they have things to do. Why should we few masochists who actually enjoy the tedium of X-Com, Jagged Alliance, or Baldur's Gate, expect the same kind of insanity from people who have relationships and career goals? Sure, it is not tedious for us, but we're special. Let's stop freaking out about the reasonable expectations of the other people in the world, shall we?

Either there are a lot of crazy people who are obsessed with Dragon Age, and have nothing better to do than be enraged about a few compromises that were made for the sake of sharing some of the greatness of "hardcore" games with the rest of the culture, or all this negativity is some sort of cheap marketing ruse from a competing company. The latter idea is a bit conspiracy theorist, but I really don't want to believe that the video gaming community is really this goofy. But perhaps it is. There was that embarrassing Roger Ebert situation, when thousands of illiterate video gamers flooded his blog to type Caps Locked obscenities at the poor guy for making an argument based on his personal, and reasonably misinformed, opinion.

I'm not much for writing anything publicly on this wilderness we call the internet, but I do occasionally feel obligated to stand up for things that are bullied by the disturbed masses. So here's my defense for anyone considering buying this game:

Dragon Age 2 actually is a good game, with some really striking art design, charming characters, good writing, and an interestingly slow, yet engaging pace. "Slow, yet engaging" is certainly a complex combination of elements for story pacing, and not surprisingly it seems to fly over many gamers' heads. The Hawke character is much different than I expected; I was expecting more of a tough guy a la Shepard, but the charming British guy with a sense of humor is starting to grow on me. And I will admit the dialog wheel feels a little more clumsy than in Mass Effect.

But my gripes are minor ones, as they should be for most other people writing reviews here, who seem to be ignoring everything other than the changes for which they have such a narrow vision.

In short, if you are not crazy, you will enjoy it. It's not mind-blowing, it's warm and inviting, enveloping, and an interesting view into the Dragon Age world from a different perspective.
  32. Mar 13, 2011
    This game make me fill insulted by the game creators. They dont respect players. They think that players is dumb and would buy only super simple things. And WE are not... anymore. STOP ruining games. Stop make **** only for money. I felt terrible when i played this game... i would rate this -100 if i can. If this is the way games would be... than its over for me. Shame to BW and EA
  33. Mar 14, 2011
    Don't trust the spam-reviews, this game is solid.Bioware really improved DA:O to make one of the best RPG with a story that builds well and good character development if you get past the first 5 hours. Contrary to the apparent bulk of reviewers, you cannot beat the game in 10 hours even if you rush the main quest. I took the day off of work yesterday and played for 21 hours and haven't even gotten past the initial town. Dragon age 2 is definitly one of the best rpg of this year and a MUST HAVE. i recommend this game to anyone and v can't do anything about it. Expand
  34. Mar 15, 2011
    I am utterly enamored by this game. While I have a tremendous amount to love for Origins, DA2 improves on the formula by reining in on much of the wasted ambition of the original. Gone is the cliched save the world plot that we see in every fantasy RPG, replaced with a more intimate exploration of a city and it's inhabitants. Gone is the sterile and lifeless combat of Origins, instead we get a fast paced, highly strategic, endlessly fun re-invigoration. Exploring the cross class combos was one the most satisfying game experiences I've had this year. Also, for all streamlining and simplification people are complaining about, all it's really done is cut down on time wasted. Yes, DA2 is a shorter game than Origins, because you're not wasting half your time in menus with tasks that are better off automated. Tie that in with a colorful and memorable cast of characters, actually difficult choices, jokes that are legitimately funny, and a complex involving plot, you're looking at a fantastic game. I ran into a few bugs, two that prevented me from completing quests, but I can only assume these will be patched out sooner or later. I'd give it a 9, but hopefully a 10 will better balance out the damage the haters have caused. Expand
  35. Mar 16, 2011
    The immersion and combat of this game are unmatched! A truly moving and fun epic. Anything negative you'll see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. For what it is, it is flawlessly executed and endlessly entertaining
  36. Mar 18, 2011
    10.0

Simply the best RPG of the last 10 years, together with Dragon Age Origins.

Incredible plot
    Incredible OST
    Incredible gameplay
    Incredible storytelling

Bioware learns how to create games, as always.

10.0
  37. Mar 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game is very good I don't know why each is crying ??? I would gave it 8,5/10, however to help it fight with not fair scores as 0 or 1 I gave 10.!!! It's similar cery much to DA: O (on consoles) so I don't know why there are such differences in score? Expand
  38. Mar 12, 2011
    Wow... People here are overreacting. Does the game play slightly different than Origins: yes. Is the game an abysmal failure worthy of a 0 rating, absolutely not.

First, I just say that I loved origins. I played all of the great old school RPG: entire baldurs gate series, Icewind, Planescape, Fallout 1 and 2, etc. Loved all of them. Also loved origins for brining back the feel of the old
    infinity engine days.

The biggest difference that I experienced in Dragon Age 2 was a slight decrease in difficulty level. Normal played like easy hard played like normal, etc. Crank the difficulty up a notch from where you were at in Origins and you get a very similar tactical experience. Positioning is still key, when and where you target abilities is still key, etc. Second difference is that even on hard there is no friendly fire. Need to crank it up to nightmare to get that. Now I will admit that this does drain a little of the tactics away. You can now throw a fireball into a group without really worrying about it. I wish Bioware had included friendly fire as a separate option outside difficulty level. I don't want to have to wade through the ridiculously buffed enemies in nightmare, but wish hard and normal had friendly fire. So this is a complaint but a very minor one. Another difference is that the combat is faster paced, not necessarily bad, just different. On the positive side. Combat is not much more responsive. Its now meaningful to move your characters out of harms way if you see an enemy charging up an attack. All of this adds up to a tactical experience that is different from Origins, but perfectly acceptable. Is it fun, absolutely.

Graphics. Some people have said the graphics are worse than Origins. These people are either blind or need to go back and play origins again. The graphics are much, much better. I'm playing on a lower end machine, so can't speak for the top of the line rigs, but on mine DAII looks gorgeous compared to DA:O.

Story, haven't finished it yet, but what I have gone through so far is great. I'm just happy that they didn't drag out the usually fantasy troupe of Giant evil out to destroy the world, orphan/exile loaner only one who can stop it. Its a different type of story. If you hate any type of variation from what you expect then this is bad. If your willing to roll with a few difference you'll find a fantastically engaging story that will really bring you into the world. Granted, the first act is a little slow, but other than that its great.

Inventory and Armor. Can you choose which armor your companions wear? no you cant. Is this a huge issue? no, it isn't. I actually kind of like the change for an RP reason. In the story your companions are not part of a party traipsing around the world. Rather, you all live in the same city, are friends, and when one of you needs the rest of the group you get together and go on adventures. It would seem sort of silly if your friend was telling you what you could and couldn't wear. These people have their own lives and can dress themselves when they get out of bed in the morning, they don't want Hawke to tell them what to wear. I think the mistake bioware made was in restricting this, but then also keeping the vast array of armor still available. So what you end up with is similar to the first game, piles and piles on armor and robes, but this time with only one character to equip them on. When you have ten spare sets of plate mail, you sort of wish you could put a new one on Aveline. They should have drastically reduced the amount of Armor available so finding a new, great set for Hawke would be meaningful. Take a page out of the original Fallout book. In those worlds there were only a few sets of the crazy powered armor in the entire game. Made you extremely excited when you finally found a set them for you character. There are plenty of great RPGs where you only had one character to fully equip. Nothing wrong with this, its just different than origins. You can still hand out weapons and trinkets to your hearts content. Except for Varric, who has a crossbow that he loves. Once again I actually like this for RP reasons. It always irked me that once you found Stern's sword in DA:O that you could give him a different weapon. He called the friken thing a part of his soul. He's just been reunited with it. Now he's going to let some upstart little gray warden tell him to use a different weapon! Come on. He's going to hold onto that puppy until he dies. Varric doesn't have quite the same relationship with his crossbow, but its similar. He loves the thing. Its gotten him through a lot of scrapes. Hes not trading it in no matter how fancy the new bow you just found is. Overall, slightly worse in terms of options, but good for role playing reasons.
  39. Mar 13, 2011
    What sucks is all the hype around this for a lackluster game. "Oh DA2 is da best game ever!" Then once you play it, you trade it in and say "I can't believe I gave into hype." I can't believe the words "hype", "improvement", and better yet, "critics." Improvment. What? I thought this was the first game. Hype. Yeah, hype over noth
  40. Mar 14, 2011
    Wow whats with the ratings below, an anti-bioware fan club on the prowl? lame. DA2 may not be DA1 but the Art direction is much improved, ldetails have more clarity, scenic views are more darmatic and colorful. Combat looksgreat with spells lighting up the screen, you may have to up the difficulty more than normal to up the challenge.
  41. Mar 14, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is the one of the best RPG is have ever played. Story is well thought and really complex. Dark and gloomy setting is incredible. Game play has noticeably improved since Dragon Age: Origins. If you are true RPG fan, you just have to play this game. Be excellent to each other. End of Line.
  42. Mar 14, 2011
    In a strict game play sense Dragon age 2 far surpasses Dragon age : Origins as being faster paced and less clunky. The game is much cleaner and more visually striking than the first, also the protagonist not being silent does a lot to make conversations flow. The story is downright boring however and so far (20 hours in) hasn't gotten me excited one bit.
  43. Mar 15, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is a great game. It's not as large in scope as the first game. But it's a more personal story with your family and friends in the city of Kirkwall. Don't let a few low scores keep you from playing a great rpg.
  44. Mar 15, 2011
    This game had excellent, tactical combat. The overall story was lackluster in some areas, but tied together extremely well near the end and had more than a few instances of excellent writing (the whole Qunari Arishok exchange). Overall, one of my favorite games in the past couple of years.
  45. Mar 16, 2011
    Dragon Age II is even better than Origins. You feel no pressure because there is no immediate threat, the characters are believable and demons seem to be doing their job as they should. The battles aren't too easy nor too hard in the normal mode and you can feel a difference depending on the race you choose to defend. The only reason I can see why those teenagers are giving this game and Bioware a hard time is because you can't be properly "surprised" in the brothel. Other than that, this game is fantastic. Expand
  46. Mar 17, 2011
    Dragon Age II has come a long way from its predecessor Dragon Age. Having played Bioware games previously (such as Jade Empire and the Mass Effect Series), the original Dragon Age was somewhat lacking. The lack of emotions for the characters, the boring combat system, the less than gorgeous graphics name a few of the things I did not like about the original game. I had wished that the Dragon Age game could be more like Mass Effect where the characters have voice and emotions and the combat system and play was more than "Hit x and sit back to watch the fun".

Bioware really gave the Dragon Age saga a facelift in Dragon Age II. The most obvious change is the graphics, which have improved dramatically from the original game. They followed more of the Mass Effect style, where the character is generally called "Hawke", male or female, and has a voice to go along with the dialogue wheel and expressions and reactions that fit well with the words coming from the character's mouth. The combat system greatly improved, as well. Rather than following a first person view as seen in Bethesda's games (the Elder Scrolls series), Bioware made the combat akin to a button-mashing (but not quite) game like Dark Kingdom or Dynasty Warriors. Thankfully, more strategy is needed than "BUTTON MASH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!!" There is also the option to pause and organize the entire team's attacks and tactics, for those who do not like to jump into the fray flying by the seat of their pants. The graphics associated with the combat system are much smoother, as well. The character's movements are less awkward and the gratuitous amounts of bloody explosions certainly don't detract from the appeal. The story, as well, is much more engaging than was the original game. It is much easier to just jump into the plot in Dragon Age II than it was in the original. The characters are less stereotypical and plain, as well. In Dragon Age, there was Alistair, the Edward Cullen perfect-boy, Leliana, the goody-two-shoes chantry girl, Zevran, the bi-sexual slut, and Ogrhen, who was essentially just Gimley from LOTR. In Dragon Age II, the characters are more multifaceted. Their reactions to various decisions made by the character are less predictable, which makes game play more interesting. There is not the cut-and-dry, "If I behave badly, character A will want in my pants and character B will whine and moan."

Overall, Dragon Age II has the elements of a good role playing, action-adventure game. As a female gamer, I am partial to role playing games and certainly wish there were more of them. The original Dragon Age: Origins was a bit of a let-down for me, but I had high hopes and expectations for the second installment of the Dragon Age series. I am only too happy to say that the game did not disappoint.
  47. Mar 17, 2011
    Il make it short on the deal i like the game so far, it doesnt mean i dont think theres anything wrong with it either. So heres my pros and cons Cons - You cant give your party members (boots, gloves, helmet, chest) pieces and thus their appearance never changes. Alright i understand the fact that in origins some party members just looked stupid because the gear didnt fit them i for example never changed morrigans main gear until i got the next armour that was styled in the same way. so im not really sure if this is a pro or a con. but what it sure does do is take away from the gear possibilities and thus theres less things you can affect stats wise in your comppanions giving you alot less control.

- rommance love scenes are done clothes on.. im an adult this game is rated 18.. what the hell is the problem? at least in the DA:O they had most of their clothes off and the scene looked sensual, now its just dry humping?

Pros

+ The gameplay is fastly paced and requires alot of tactical wits on the higher difficulty levels. sure its not as slow as DA:O was but hey i didnt want to play the same game again.

+ Import the history from old save data, even though the changes arent huge i love the small details

+ graphics and moves have been revamped to look absolutely amazing

+ interface is awesome and journal flags where definetly awesome extra now i dont miss any text entries

then the opinions that get neutral from me

+/- Voiced main character: i hate it and i love it. what can you say...

+/- Parts where you cant controll your characters behaviour, this takes away from the game but then again im getting a feeling this is a good thing, you are trying to tell a story and some things just have to happen for it to go further, there was the part of becoming a greywarden in DA:O and you couldnt affect it either so i really dont mind that much.

+/- Only 3 playable classes and 1 race. this sure takes some element away from the game but what can you do ive accepted that the game isnt about you making a 100% custom hero but a story of a certaint hero from certaint linneage there are still alot of things i can choose which is enough for me.
  48. Mar 16, 2011
    I love first one and I love second instalment too. Better graphic, faster game-play with new mechanics and excellent story as excepted! New control system suits consoles very well now.
  49. Mar 26, 2011
    Dragon Age II was 10 times better than the first one, but there was one thing i didn't like about it ; how SHORT it was.I hope the third one is even better than this one.
  50. Mar 15, 2011
    I honestly can't understand the negative reaction to this game. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time. I sunk a whole weekend into it and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Here's an analogy I think is apt: DA2 is to DA:O as Fallout:New Vegas is to Fallout 3. That is to say, it's not in the least bit revolutionary, it often feels more like a giant expansion pack than a
    new game, and it feels more disorganized and less focused than the original. Often, in DA2, you feel like you're running around trying to fix the problems of everyone in the city, no matter how small they might be, and you often find yourself wondering "Wait - what's the point of all this?"

But those are minor complaints. Pretty much everything good about DA:O has been preserved - the lore, the sense of humor, the banter and interactions between your characters, the sense that you're really roleplaying a character.

Dialogue is fully voiced in this one, like Mass Effect 2, and this has had some mixed reactions. But I think it was a good choice. It makes the whole experience feel cinematic - like a 50-hour movie that you get to guide. In DA:O, I always thought it was downright creepy that everyone talked to your character while he or she just sat there staring at them with dead, dead eyes. Plus, voicing the character gives them the opportunity to say more than just tiny clickable blerbs, and it lets you really watch yourself taking charge of a situation and shaping Kirkwall to the way your character would want it to be.

Combat, again, is controversial. Yes, DA2 simplified DA:O's combat system, so to some extent it now feels like a hack-and-slash reminiscent of, say, the Dynasty Warriors series. But that's not entirely bad!! I never felt like combat was really the point of DA:O, and the whole system just *dragged* - I found I was spending about 2/3 of battle time with the game paused, issuing commands. In DA2, that's down to maybe 20%. Combat is simpler than it was before, yes - but it's also more cinematic, and, actually, more satisfying. Winning a DA:O battle gave you the feeling of having outmaneuvered an opponent in a simple game of strategy - like winning a game of Connect 4. Winning a DA2 battle gives you the feeling that you've just punched someone in the face. It's more visceral. I like it.

As for the maps - well, there's no way around it: they suck. They're all nearly completely linear, and they're all reused over and over and over, ad nauseam. But even that didn't really detract from the game's enjoyment for me. Because I don't play Dragon Age to explore. I play it to roleplay.

And as a roleplayer, this one is in many ways better than the first. I don't know how genuine the illusion of choice is, because I've only played through it once, but it's a good illusion. In the first game, you could tell from about the time you first visited the Circle how the game was going to go: you'd do the elf quest, and the dwarf quest, and the mage quest, and the human quest, and then there'd be a couple more quests, and then you'd face the Archdemon. And all you truly decided was details. In DA2, you sometimes feel like Kirkwall is your own sandbox - like you, and you alone, are going to decide who lives and who dies and who becomes powerful and who doesn't. And that's just fun. That's the fun that really, for me, made all the other flaws in this game nothing more than minor details.
  51. Mar 18, 2011
    I feel compelled to chime in here and make clear that â
  52. Mar 18, 2011
    This game is awesome. This game at least rivals the first game only in this one the combat iss 10X better and the character are awesome and have alot of variety. I just cant see how anyone can give this a failing score when theres no major problems to the game and it has such depth.
  53. Mar 18, 2011
    I'm just going to go ahead and believe that most of the reviewers here and whinny fanboys that really didn't give this game a try. Anyone that wrote a review on or around the 8th shouldn't be counted. You can't really get into the meat of a game like this within a day, or even a couple of days. Truth of the matter is, all you whinny ungrateful fanboys don't deserve a game of this quality, and it looks like most of you are going to miss out because of the all of the annoying whinny rumors of false truths about the game. People these days form opinions way too quick. It's hard to take any of these reviews seriously, so I wont. I don't know why I even care to write anything here, it's like throwing stones at a tsunami. I enjoy gaming, but it's times like these that I wouldn't want to be associated with these immature gamers. I know there are quality people out there in the gaming community, but this is getting ridiculous. Expand
  54. Mar 23, 2011
    I can honestly say that I don't understand all of the negative attention this game is getting, I'm on my third playthrough and am nowhere near bored with it yet.

When I first started playing I was a little thrown by some of the changes (how the battle system has been simplified and the way that you can only interact with your companions in their home bases) but I gave the game a fair
    chance and after a few hours of play I was enjoying just as much as (if not more than) Origins.

One of the game's strongest points is the voice acting (just as it was in the original) and I was impressed when I first met the Dalish and heard their new Irish (is Merill the only Welsh one?) accents and felt that it suited them much better than the American ones that they had before. I was especially pleased (as an Irish person) to hear *real* Irish accents as opposed to something you'd hear from the Lucky Charms leprechaun. I also found the story in this game much more deep than the one in Origins, the plight of the mages and the position of the templars meant much more to me than it ever did in Origins.

That's not to say that the game is without its issues: -I've had a ridiculous amount of crashes for a PS3 game; times when the game has frozen completely and I have to manually turn off the console. -I feel like the companions have been unnecessarily scaled back, I can't understand why they removed the option to change their armour and I have a feeling that we got much less dialogue simply so that Hawke could have a voice of his/her own.
    -The fact that the game reuses the same 12-odd environments gets old real fast. This is not something I can remember happening in Origins at all and it was something that really began to bother me after a while.
  55. Jun 19, 2011
    I felt the Dragon Age II was a fantastic RPG adventure game. I am writing this review fresh after beating it. I think many of the negative reviews for this game stem from the fact that purists wanted a DA:O clone, when in fact, BioWare is going more in the direction of a medieval mass effect, which is not bad at all. Many of the original elements are there, the combat has not changed dramatically, and the level system has been improved in my opinion. There are a few things that I did not like, such as the lack of ability to change your companions armors, but little details like that are overlookable. If you want a DA:O clone, play some more DA:O, there are like a million possible outcomes, but if you want a new and refreshed Dragon Age experience with a fantastic story line (although at time some optional quests are boring and unnecessary for the story) pick up DA2. The events about to unfold in the DA universe will shake the very ground of Thedas, don't miss out! Expand
  56. Mar 27, 2011
    This game is really really really good, yes it has some issues but all games have them.
    The story it's pretty refreshing, without the usual cliches and one dimensional characters. The gameplay it's actually fun. This game is NOT "dragon age : origins 2.0" or "mass dragon age effect". It's something new altogether and i effin love it.
  57. Mar 28, 2011
    Great game... Once again nerd-rage strikes and some "fans" of DAO are angry that DA2 is well.... different... Some people just can't cope with change.

In short: -Improved combat, (strategic control over party is more satisfying and combat with your main character is a lot more fun). -Better voice acting.
    -Great storyline and characters
    -Quests are more involving than the usual arbitrary
    grinds you sometimes find in games of this genre. -Streamlined inventory / character menus with new features which make everything more manageable.
    -Better graphics. More stylized characters and environment. Great job on this game. A lot of flaws I found with DAO that stopped it being 'fun' at times have been addressed in DA2. If you were put off by the 'PC-feel' of DAO then this is well worth picking up. Equally, if you enjoyed DAO, (and you aren't an angry nerd), then grab a copy of DA2.

10/10 - Probably the best RPG current;y available for PS3 / 360
  58. Mar 24, 2011
    An amazing RPG and excellent addition to the Dragon Age series. Love the faster paced combat compared to Dragon Age: Origins, and while there are a few minor flaws it is definitely not deserving of all the negative reviews from people who probably didn't even play the game. I'm eagerly waiting the next entry in the series.
  59. Apr 5, 2011
    After spending over 70 hours, I'm on my second playthrough and still haven't had enough. Dragon Age 2 is by far the best work Bioware has released and I am looking forward for Dragon Age 3.
  60. Apr 12, 2011
    I really don´t understand all this hate from so many gamers. Seriously. I loved Dragon Age Origins and I played it all the way until the end. I loved it so much that I even finished Awakening and pretty much all its DLC. When I started playing Dragon Age 2, of course I had my expectations. And, yes, the game feels different. It looks different; it plays different. But does this really matter that much? It´s core and soul remain untouched. It is sitll an AWESOME game THAT SHOULD NOT BE MISSED. I love the new characters, the whole "Mass-Effect 2-thing" going on, the improved graphics and the gameplay too. For PS3 users, Dragon Age Origins - although excellent - felt I little clunky for me, I mean, to play with a controller. Now, I REALLY feel empowered while fighting my opponents. I REALLY feel I AM doing it and not just pointing and clicking. Serious, guys. It´s ok to have our own opinions about what we play. But we must be honest with ourselves. Dragon Age 2 is a BLAST (and you know it!) and it does not deserve such bad reviews. It is not perfect, but it is still a gaming gem. I give it 9 out of 10. Expand
  61. Jun 27, 2011
    Please don't be fooled by the people who rated this excellent game so poorly - you would be cheating yourself out of an amazing gaming experience. This game was a lot of fun - and this is coming from someone who also owns Dragon Age: Origins and has played and continues to play every kind of game for decades. The characters are amazing and actually have depth, the voice acting is great, the animations leave nothing to be desired (well - it COULD look like FFXIII) and the gameplay was a lot of fun too!
    I think people give this game a bad rap because of the more simplified approach than the first game but this doesnt detract from its quality by any means - theres still a ton of room for customization and veteran and novice gamers alike can still have a lot of fun with it as I have.

There hasn't been a solid RPG on the PS3 for a long time in my opinion and Dragon Age II was a really welcome addition to the genre from what I believe has been a long hiatus.
  62. Jun 29, 2011
    Easily one of the best games I have ever played, and the first one to actually make me feel like I was in the middle of a book. The charachters are extremely well written, and even though I can see that they perhaps play a bit too much on the stereotypes that's fine by me as long as the story is as enjoyable as this one is! The only thing keeping this game from a 10/10 for me is it's perhaps less than satisfactory inventory-interface and the fact that most places are disguised corridors that seem to not change even though the story is supposed to be for 7 years... Expand
  63. Aug 23, 2011
    If you loved Origins, then there is a 90% chance that you'll hate this...but it's a chance that I took and ended up not regretting. Basically, if you're looking for Origins, go play Origins because otherwise this won't be for you. It's a great game in all respects and has a lot of charm that its predecessor lacked, but also lacks some that its predecessor had. It's nowhere near as bad as some other reviewers say. Expand
  64. Feb 20, 2012
    I want to start and say the bad press this game gets is simply bitter gamers who think video game companies "owe them something." This is not a bad game, not even close. Its actually a good game that just isnt as good as the first game. It does has it's redeeming qualities though. I love the fact the main character has a voice now (ala Shepard). The characters are just as strong as Origins as well (Bioware rocks at characters). The story is good, not great, but still has its redeeming qualities. Overall, I say this is still better then alot on the market and needs to be given its due. Expand
  65. Feb 28, 2012
    To give a game a 0, you either have to moronic or completely biased some stupid reason... a third option just being clinically insane. 0 means the game is a complete mess, unplayable, glitches, severe anomalies and complete loss of design and function. People are stupid. Here's an honest review.

It's more action oriented, it is no longer an MMORPG clone but an button command issued and
    then they preform the attack. The design, literature, music, sound effects, character design and story are solid. How is this boring? If they're not fighting giant godlike monsters then I guess it's boring. It's more of a "your pace" kind of game. It doesn't throw myriads of locations at you all at once. Like real life adventure. It's up do you how the story progresses and the interactions of NPC's and your characters, which you can control if you choose to and some cases need to. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. I love the game. Any RPG is redundant, how is assigning actions to a character in real time over automatically and hotkeys use an argument. I don't know, my opinion, people get their underwear in a bunch for no reason. Most of use have no idea how complex it is to even make a game, at all, beyond RPG maker and most fail horrible at that. So, stop being immature and rate it reasonably. Even Duke Nukem isn't that terrible. Rate it reasonably. I think if a game is clearly of worthy design, no major flaws, playable... then the option to rate it lower than a 5 shouldn't even be in your mind. Idiots think they know it all. Pfft. Expand
  66. Apr 21, 2011
    It's better then the hate driven metacritic score indicates, but it's still a somewhat decent game. Since it's now available as a budget game, it's worth a look, despie numerous flaws. Most bugs and glitches are patched by now, and if you get used to the constant area re-use, you'll find some marvelous quests, little stories and funny dialogue/banter hidden in a mediocre shell.
  67. Apr 19, 2011
    It seems this game is getting a lot of criticism by fans of the first game. I usually look at the review history of the posters that give 0's and most have reviewed less than 5 games and usually they are multiple systems of a same game.

I actually prefer this game to the first. I played about 30 hours of the first but just finally got fed up with what I felt like was a very unpolished
    game (still great but just not for me). The sequel just feels better. perhaps the story isn't as deep or "wall-o-texty" as the first but I still find it very engaging. The combat is not as deep but then again I don't find myself mired down in overly complicated UI for a simple fight with what should be an easy enemy.

Ignore the somewhat over hyped reviews and definitely ignore the over sensitive fans of the first and just try it out for yourself.
  68. Apr 20, 2011
    Sure it was different from DA:O, but luckily, they have been talking about this for months, and even released a demo, that way i knew what i was getting into, and not walking in blind thinking it was gonna be DA:O clone.

if you don't have it, and are thinking about it, i highly recommend it. (as if my words mean anything) its a nice chapter in the DA universe. seeing things from a non
    Grey Wardens P.O.V.
    was a nice change. The combat shift, if you can even really call it that, is the same as DA:O only you don't auto attack, and any one saying different must be WANTING to play this like a hack 'n slash, because most of the times i'm blowing cool-downs, and managing my team and hardly have time to sit there mindlessly spamming base attack.)
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    People, PLEASE, get back to your senses! What's up with all this **** about Dragon Age 2?! What is not to like? Graphics, good! Characters, good! Plot, good! Gameplay, good! Bioware may not be perfect (and it isn't) but it is clear to me they tried their hardest to give us the best work possible in such small time. I much rather play this Dragon Age 2, now, then this GOD-MADE-VERSION you all want in God knows when. People should open their minds to innovation. Games are supposed to do that. Reinvent themselves even if this means breaking a couple of (*cough*fanboys'*cough*) hearts. I'm currently in my second playthrough and I dare say Dragon Age 2 is going to be one of the best games of 2011, period. Expand
  70. May 13, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is a game that old school RPG fans love to hate. I approach it from the same perspective as I do all games. A perspective of a gamer. Not an RPG gamer, or a shooter gamer, but simply a gamer. It saddens me to see it being ripped apart just it is not exactly what some players expected, and they need to take their anger out on the poor game.

Is DA2 perfect? By no means.
    However, it is an enjoyable experience that few video games can provide. True, changes from Origins have been made which turned DA2 into a more actionized sequel. The speed of combat has increased and attacks became flashier, though otherwise it is about the same as before. It does not take away from the tactical side of the gameplay, nor does it make the game feel any less of an RPG. What is different from the prequel is how companions are handled. The player can no longer equip their armor and choose their combat specializations. Instead, each companion maintains a unique appearance which can be upgraded by finding and buying certain armor upgrades. You still can choose which weapons the companions wield but on a more limited scale. Certain rogue only uses ranged weapons, while the other only daggers. To someone who used the default weapon styles of the companions in previous Dragon Age releases it is not worth fussing about. Each companion has access to a unique to him/her specialization tree. This spices up each character and separates them from one another.

The story, characters, and dialogue are standard Bioware fare. As usual they're pretty much excellent. The main difference is that you're no longer able to choose the origin of your character and she or he has a voice now. Some would argue that for this release the story is on the weaker side, and in a certain way I'm inclined to agree. The final act seemed a bit rushed and some interesting opportunities for story development were missed. The antagonist could have used more screen time and character development as well. That's not to say that the game wasn't filled incredible moments that just tug at the player's hear. DA2 is filled with tales of love, hate, betrayal, and horror.

The game looks quite good for the most part though everyone has the same gripe about it. Bioware reused maps way too generously. By the final act you can run trough them with your eyes closed. Definitely not a good thing. That's the biggest problem I experienced in the game. Sure, there were a few glitches here and there but most were minor and there was less of them compared to Origins (from what I experienced in my several playtroughs at least). DA2 also runs much smoother on the PS3 than it's predecessor, and does not have that irritating save lag of Origins.

Overall, Dragon Age 2 is two steps forward, two steps back. It is better than Origins in some areas, while worse in others. It is not a worse instalment, just slightly different. All in all, it is a good game worthy of several playtroughs.
  71. May 24, 2011
    While the game lost some atmosphere to things like area recycling, simplified equipment/inventory system and the action-focused combat, it's an overall appealing RPG, telling a great story from one of the best fantasy-universes of our decade.
  72. Dec 9, 2011
    Honestly, I don't understand why this game has gotten some much grief from people. I avoided buying this game because of the terrible user scores on here. The game is actually great, the story is good, gameplay is fun,(if you don't like constantly pressing the x button to attack you can toggle it in the options to attack when you just press x) and the way dialogue is chosen(and the fact that your character is fully voice acted) is much more immersive. DA2 takes most of what DAO does and improves on it, and as expected from a Bioware game the characters are great; a lot of people complained about the characters for some reason, they are just like actual people who don't tell you every thing about themselves and don't wear their hearts on their sleeves like the first one. Despite being a great game it does do some things wrong; such as the repetitive environments, how the city just feels dead no matter what your doing, and the reworking of how some of the Darkspawn look. But don't be scared away by what the fanboys are crying about, if your looking for a fun game with a great story this would be it. Expand
  73. Mar 25, 2014
    Very, very good. I played dragon age 2 soon after completing the Mass Effect Trilogy and, in my opinion DA2 is every bit as good as Mass Effect. Bioware are prety much masters of story driven RPGs and DA 2 is no exception. Good story, good characters, interesting choices and fun from start to end. Technically the graphics and audio are good - closer to Amalur than Skyrim. As are the movement and combat mechanics.

The camera angle is different to the ME series with you looking a bit further away from the characters - but then you're not 'iron sight' aiming firearms.
  74. Jan 8, 2012
    Dragon Age 2 is a solid, enjoyable game, especially, those new to RPG's or looking for something different to the generic FPS's, but as many before have pointed out, have failed to meet the needs of the hardcore RPG fans, due to it's linear nature, repetitive locations and simplified fighting mechanics. The story moves along at a nice pace and the dialogue from your main cohorts is the best I have seen in any game. Around half way through the game I found myself picking my companions due to their personalities, rather than there skills with weapons. The fact that so much attention went into the script writing and actors is a superb addition to this game. If you're a gamer who skips past the dialogue sequence, then this isn't the game for you. But if you like fisting and dwarfs in drag references and smutty humor from your characters, then you might be pleasantry surprised, I know I was. Passed this game by when it first came out, due to the low metacritic score, but having played it, the user score of 3.9 does not reflect the actually quality of this game. Is it a quality RPG, no it's not but that does not stop it from being a great adventure game. Expand
  75. Apr 14, 2012
    Why are there so many haters here? Origins is amazing, but so is this! Whilst it lacks the depth of the first, it is easily as good, and in fact it is actually more fun to play, which surely is the most improtant aspect of a game? It looks stunning, and whilst Skyrim reigns supreme as the ultimate RPG on a console, it can learn a thing or two from this game in regards to having streamlined missions which are never a chore and dungeons which are not identical to one another. 10/10. Expand
  76. May 5, 2013
    I know a lot of the Dragon Age fans did not like this game. I thought it was great. It is different but still one of the greatest games I have ever played. Choices you make actually do affect the game. I like the fighting much better than DA1. I was not as fond of my companions but the others were so great it is hard to compete. Still all in all this is a great game and great story.
  77. Apr 28, 2014
    All this people say this game is bad, but if you compare to other in the same genre, Dragon Age are too better than others.
    Of course for me DA origins is unbeatable, but Origins is Origins and DA2 is DA2 ...
    If u dont like go to play these Japanese RPG.
  78. Mar 9, 2011

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. Ultimately Dragon Age II feels like a one step past, and two steps back from Origins. It has been specced purely with us console gamers in mind and now has a low barrier of entry that will rally new fans to the Dragon Age banner. That's admirable, but fans who did get into Origins will lament the less masterful storytelling and the noticeably uneven visual presentation. [May 2011 p.78]
  3. May 16, 2011
    A smaller gameworld and recycled environments make Dragon Age II feel less expansive than Origins, but a number of console friendly game changes may make it more appealing to console gamers than its predecessor.