5.5

1. Jan 30, 2014
    love the game for the first time 8 characters can be on the same screen and it feel more like the actual show . the boss battle in the game are amazing and they really capture the feel of the anime series. Also they brought cool customization options like being able to change you characters color, and even tho this is a small thing it feels pretty awesome. I also like to add that co-op works fantastic. If you a fan of the dragon ball series give this game a try. Expand
  2. Jan 31, 2014
    I really love this game! I thought that this is one of the greatest DBZ games that i have ever played. The online mode is insane! And playing as Super Saiyan God Goku is awesome!
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    Not your usual type of dbz, nowhere near budokai or tenkaichi, this game is focused on multiple fights(battle royal) with simples commands. They tried to do a different and original dbz and they really succeeded. Up to this date(01/29) pro and con list: CON: no offline vs*, no crossplay, bad sound track, graphics outdated, no ingame transformations, lack of modes and content. PRO: balance online, great learning curve, custom playlist, character classes.

* there is no offline vs but after you beat the story mode, you can replay using anycharacter you unlocked.

Last: Overall i really liked the game, but wouldn't recommend to non-fans of the series
  4. Jan 30, 2014
    Massive Budokai 3 fan, but refreshing to play something that isn't just trying to be an upgrade from that. Its in a league of its on for DBZ games and the 4 vs 4 or 4 vs Giant options are fun which is all I wanted from this game!
    Graphics are not the greatest but that doesn't matter. Love the World Energy Spirit bomb idea and the Goku collectors edition is beautiful.
    For a game that I
    was expecting extremely little from, It has surprised me and is more enjoyable than first though. Before bashing it and not bothering give it a chance and don't try to compare to what we have grown accustom to over the years. Online mode is an exciting step forward and just from being able to run around and fly freely during battles makes me more excited for what they could do if they went MMO!
    Looking forward to something for my PS4 DBZ lets go chop chop :D
  5. Feb 1, 2014
    Great game. I think people are just saying it sucks because everyone else is. I thought it was well put together. One of the best DBZ games ever made. The demo doesn't do it justice like the actual game. Some missions are really hard and that is what sets it apart unlike other DBZ games where you can win by changing a setting. In this game if your not good enough you just don't advance until you get better. Expand
  6. Feb 1, 2014
    This is not your nostalgic, run-in-the-mill, flashy DBZ brawler everyone else is expecting. It doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting in the least, and mainly because reviewers are not taking into account that this game is supposed to be played as a Multiplayer RPG game. Grab some online friends, get your microphone, and jump into some challenging boss battles. There's plenty of fun to be had here, and while it's no Monster Hunter or similar to DBZ Budokai 3, don't let everyone else's narrow minded opinions sway you otherwise.

Pros:
    - Plenty of content (Don't be a cry baby cuz they left out the other bajillion obscure DBZ characters)
    - Class based action RPG elements have depth (teamwork is a must in later stages)
    - Online Co-Op is the bee's knees (seriously, be sure to grab some friends or online strangers)
    - Leveling up and getting your grind on has a purpose (Weaker fighters are finally not just useless filling)
    - Able to customize any character's color scheme (for team purpose, or just to look like the cat's pajamas)

Cons:
    - No split-screen or offline Multiplayer (why?)
    - Simplistic fighting mechanics could still use a little extra "oomph." (one button attacks, the other is for ki)
    - DLC fighters (I just hate on disc DLC, **** that noise)
    - Even though stages look nice, they still have those annoying invisible walls. (also some character animations suck)

Do you love DBZ and have bought every game since 2002? Give this a shot, and open up your mind a bit. So far the online community is pretty great, and online players are for the most part really helpful. For everyone else, just give it a rent, I'm sure you'll have a good time once you get in the RPG grind mode.
  7. Feb 6, 2014
    PROS:
    -The fight. Although the fighting mechanics aren't that great for SINGLE player experience, 1 v 1 and such, the mechanics are suited more for co-operative type of gameplay. Every character gets one melee combo, one chase combo, two types of ki blasts (weak and strong), two unique moves depending on their class, and a special move usually a large beam or ball of energy. Because
    fighters don't have much to do it's up to when and to who you do it as most fights go against team of enemies giving some tactical elements to the fight. Also it looks flashy as HFEL (see what I did there?).
    -Co-op. As mentioned the fights usually take between two teams so the inclusion of Co-op Mode makes sense and is sort of fun. The "Meteor Chains" and "Synchronized Rushes" are also evidence of the focus on co-op as they combine each players' efforts into a single devastating attack.
    -Class based characters. Each character is given a type: melee type for heavy hitters up close, ki blast type for sniping others across the map doing chip damage, interference type to mess with the enemy players and support type to heal and resurrect your fallen team members. It gives a type of role to the characters giving the game an MMORPG-esque feel.

MIXED:
    -The lack of "story". Almost everyone who bought this game can notice that the story gives us only glimpses of the canon of the DBZ universe. I can see why they did it (because later on the game you get to build your own "dream team" of characters) but those who were looking for good story mode will be disappointed.
    -Customization. Nothing deep, just put all the best cards on your card slots and you're good to go. I was really disappointed that only HALF of the obtainable cards can be equipped to the A.I. partners taking the "building of a dream team" feeling out of the game.
    -MMORPG feel. You will end up farming points for the best upgrades in the shop if you want the highest scores and trophies. But because the game has a finite end (mission wise and collectibles wise) the game becomes boring until new content patch to come... oh wait that's not actually going to happen, is it? There are even boss fights from which 4/5 are meh.
    -No in-game transformations. I can see the point of not including transformations in game but to many this might be a disappointment. If you look at Cell's different forms you get the point: most stages of transformation have different types and card slots in them.

CONS:
    -The A.I. Oh God the A.I. If you want your A.I. partners to be any use for you, you need to grind experience for them by doing the same missions over and over again. And worse than that even when their level is maxed up their behavior isn't on par what you'd expect: them standing in air doing nothing even though ordered to attack on full force, support characters not supporting in any way, not resurrecting you in a pinch even when standing right next to you. I don't know why but the A.I. in Battle Mode feels and plays much smarter than the mission counterpart. I ended up playing 90% of the time as a supporting character because the A.I. just can't support themselves.
    -The maps: you can destroy only few selected points on the map. How's that a bad thing? When your Meteor Chain is being interrupted by something so tiny as rock it breaks the immersion and the flow of the gameplay quite significantly. This is best demonstrated in the "Destroyed City" map where it's almost impossible to do Meteor Chains successfully because of all the indestructable debris on the ground.
    -Unbalanced roster and Battle Mode. Powerful characters are fine in the mission scenarios but break the game who want to enjoy the battles with other players. The Demo's Battle Mode was fun because it was fairly balanced with 4 characters (more with other means). But when the roster is boosted up by almost 20 times, the problems in balancing the game become much clearer. The teams are consisted of only high-end unlocked characters because of their ridiculous power. And when you combine the power with a skilled player (skill of picking right cards and spamming right attacks) you get the most unfair PvP scenario I have seen in a long time. The modes aren't anything to look at either since only good mode is the Score mode (kill enemies and receive score, highest score team wins). As these overpowered characters start to pollute the rooms, Dragon Ball grab (CTF with a dragon balls) and Normal mode (Score mode with finite stocks) become few minute jerk fests. And whose idea was to include Battle Royale mode (free-for-all score mode) when the focus of the gameplay is clearly on the co-op? I could rack up ridiculous amount kills with LSSJ Broly without breaking a sweat in any mode because of how stupidly overpowered he is. And when the rest of the players figure out that themselves and pollute the rooms, the game becomes broken.

In conclusion DBZ:BoZ is a flashy co-op based fighter with some weird design decisions. For die-hard fans only.
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    i bought this game two days ago, i was really excited and it turned out like crap, i don't like the story line and i hated the idea of playing with people online, THIS IS AN IMPORTANT KEY, i was under the impression when i bought this game it was going to be like the others, the ability to fight two player and fight computer. WRONG... you can't fight computer, only if it's story mode, NO CUSTOM BATTLES, you can't fight any friends unless they are on their own system and it's under an online match. oh yeah i returned it the next night and got my money back, i think whoever buys this should do the same Expand
  9. Jan 30, 2014
    Well after years of playing dbz games I can say this is a refreashing change! Yes it will probably be for hard core dbz fans..and those that have been complaining bout no in game transformations will still be complaining and turned off here. Look simple fact is there hasn't been in game transformations since budaki days...I miss them too but really its time we move past that.

Gameplay
    is very limited and there is really only one combo..tho those who are creative can link up the movee available into nice long combos!

The graphics imo are the best in the series of dbz games n really captures the feel of the anime..and the four on four fights make it really feel like dbz with multi z fighters tackling big baddies. The difficulty in the game is quite high! Im at mission 18 n getting my ads handed to me..n with 60 missions its only gonna be tougher!!

This is the most fun ive had playing dbz in along time! Feels like a mmo with tough fights n big bosses with strategy needed to get past bosses.

Haven't tried online yet as ive gotten into afew games in progress n got tired of waiting lol. But it will be awesome when I can tackle the sure to be insane lvls later on!!.

Bottomline those that want ingame transformations and combos n stuff will be turned away..but those willing to try something new and challenging tho limited. .and have some intense dbz battles then I say give it a try you wont regret it!!
  10. Feb 5, 2014
    One of the best DBZ games to date, slightly better than Budokai 3 Pros: - Tons of content - Four vs Four or Four vs Giant options are both fun - Class based action RPG elements have actual depth - 4 Player Online Co-Op - Weaker fighters are no longer useless - Able to customize any character's color scheme - The four vs four and four vs giant system actually works Cons: - No split-screen or offline Multiplayer
    - They left out the other Bajillion obscure DBZ characters
    .-One button attacks?
    - DLC fighters are not worth it
    - Annoying invisible walls.
    - Some of the Animations are not good

Recommendation-
    Every gamer, even if you're not a DBZ fan.
  11. Feb 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not bad or good. It's Dragonball z! The three newcomers from battle of gods are a nice edition.
    Upgrading/customization is also nice, I love it.
    The four vs four system actually works! The story made changes a few things, like the final battle against Frieza.
    Super Saiyan God Goku can beat any team if upgraded perfectly.
    Buy it now
  12. Feb 7, 2014
    I give this a 1 just because the game play looks awesome. The team battle.... okay but why cut out the one on one? The menu is new, surely a plus. Im loosing my faith for the makers of DBZ games, at one point it was the best ever, tons of fighters, transformations, interactive backgrounds, and the payer combos were kind of free. Now its one or two lame moves, the lock on should be locked out, BRING BACK THE ONE ON ONE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want a full refund.... Expand
  13. Feb 15, 2014
    One of the worst games I've ever played. In first instance I thought It was a good game, with a little number of avaliable fighters but a good game, but when I tried it I discovered how bad It really was.
    Apart of the fact that DBZ games are becoming worse as time pass, I must say that this is the worst one.
    I have to say that the team-battles are a good idea but it is bad implemented.

The controls of the game are quite simple, and the freedom of doing differents thins is practically 0. The only goal on this game is to press triangle an triangle+circle until all the enemies are dead.
    You can't transform yourself during combat and you can't also recharge energy while you are fighting.

This game also tends to be proud of having the original music of the series, but this only happens on the openning with the cha-la-head-cha-la (The only thing I loved).

So, this is game isn't good at all and, for the ones who are saying that the innovation of this game is very important due to multiplayer battles, they should took a look to Dragon Ball Z Tag Team, that was a really good game.
  14. Feb 18, 2014
    This game was really not worth the money spent. We - my siblings and I - barely had it for a couple hours before we were done with it. My step-dad played it for less than 5 minutes before giving up because no one had any idea what was going on at first and once we figured it out it became so easy and boring just pressing triangle till everyone's dead and there was always so many characters on the screen, we all kept getting confused and frustrated while playing that we just put it in the box and put it up for when we can go to Gamestop or Play'n'Trade and get something, anything, better. Expand
  15. Feb 18, 2014
    As a huge Dragon Ball Z fan, I can admit I may be biased in my views of this game.But I thought this game was awesome. Probably the best Dragon Ball Z fighter since Budokai 3. The use of multiple fighters on screen made it feel a lot more like the tv show. And the Character selection is incredible as well. Admittedly, it's missing something to make this game truly amazing, but I'm having so much fun with it, I wouldn't be able to tell you what that thing is. Expand
  16. Mar 14, 2014
    This game honestly is really bad i like all kind of games but i still find this game really bad!! but this is a game that does not catch my eye!

My wore may game - Alidengote 2014
  17. May 29, 2014
    An insult to dbz games!
    -Terrible camera that is as annoying as possible
    -Can choose 4 Types of characters in a team( like 4 goku's) terrible idea.. which makes it feel realy fake..
    -only plus side is the oke kinda pvp team like online stuff
    stil DONT BUY!!! waste of money and time
  18. May 29, 2014
    Very under rated simply because it's an anime based game.
    I know what DBZ is! This game is a bad game(5), but it's a good DBZ game(7). Like any budokai type DBZ game is always a good game(7), but alway bad DBZ game(5). So it's hard to make a GOOD DBZ game so that it would be a good game for everyone. But this game surely gives the best arcade fighting game experiance, 4vs4 is amazing,
    it's unique, it's special, it's under rated. Expand

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Some good ideas are not enough to revive Dragon Ball Z. The combat system is far too simplistic and the mechanics show a lot of problems that make this game mediocre.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    A follow-up to the Dragon Ball beat them up world that will engage only those fanatical fans of the series. Otherwise, it's a dreary and straight-lined hack and slash action game that will never be more than that, even with its option to play as villains, which is attractive only at first sight.
  3. Mar 12, 2014
    What ultimately sinks Battle of Z isn't the little fan nitpicks, it's just ill-conceived design as a whole. It's certainly not the worst DBZ game ever released, but if there's ever been a statement that's damning with faint praise, that would be it.