5.5

1. Oct 25, 2011
    Ultimate disappointment, ultimate letdown. I have played all dragon Ball fighting games, including SuperNinendo, PlayStation 1, 2, and 3, Saturn, Xbox360 even Arcade editions- This is the most boring and horrible of all times. Gameplay is terrible, almost depressing. It is not fan like Budokai 2 and 3, it has not the freedom and depth of tenkaichi 3. The only good thing about this game are the visuals, and even this is arguable. The story mode is as boring as counting clouds, repetitive, slow... What the **** is this, seriously. Please give us a Tenkaichi 3 in HD. I want my money back. Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2011
    This has to be one of the worst Dragonball Z games i have ever played, and i have played most of them since i was so willing to buy this despite the £38 price tag (Buyers remorse)
    Positives first, the graphics are nice, good scenery, good models, good effects on the ki charging and the power ups and the energy attacks, but that is it.
    The negatives, well lets just say
    everything else is a negative.
    There is no freedom in the fighting, you are almost forced to continuously use combo attacks which initiate themselves after the shorts amount of punching (3) this is the only was to gather enough energy to fire up a Kamehameha wave, which is sad because the amount of damage the punches do means the fight is almost over after 2 Kamehameha waves.
    the camera is shoddy and the story is horrendously boring, don't get me wrong i love DBZ and the story, but something is missing here.

the world travelling system is boring too, and pointless. The fights are always the same no matter who you are and you are always forced to do the same horrible combo's (watching goku chase after a number of different enemies he has just punched becomes boring even before the end of the saiyan saga.

All in all, a boring game unfortunatly, DBZ raging blast series was better, and burst limit was better than that.
  3. Mar 4, 2012
    Just execute chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain...
  4. Apr 4, 2012
    this is the game most nullllllllllllllllll I've never played better dbz BT3, BT2, BT.
    fighting are not as spectacular despite graphisement succeeded, still 2D.
  5. Sep 10, 2012
    It was such the disapointment I had with this game that I had to create my account in Metacritic only to tell other people to stay away from this thing. I am a fan of DBZ and I loved the Budokai Tenkaichi series, it is hard to believe that there are companies that doesn't strive for improvement, that once they had accomplish a good game (Budokai Tenckaichi series) they are happy with this kind of garbage.

The good part are the visuals, they are great, but the gameplay is incredibly, and I repeat, INCREDIBLY BORING, nothing compared with the agility and the fast pace of the BT series, it is repetitive, it is slow, if you only push one button continuously it is enough to win battles; also, to win a battle you don't need skill, you need luck because the game forces you into clashes and the clashes are won by luck.

I dream to play another great DBZ game, I hope Ban Dai steps away from these horrible series and finally bring us something worth the money, wouldn't it be good for their business? It would be as simple as taking DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and make it have the visuals of the current generation consoles, that's it, even if that game wasn't perfect, it is better in 95% of its content than this one.
  6. Jun 24, 2012
    Ok where to begin.....I got it:remember those ps2 classic DB games? You know those classic DB games you enjoyed with friends whether you played the 2D/3D version those past games let you do what this game don't not...use ACTUAL skill when playing...sigh...sadly matches(whether fight against a person or CPU) is SOLELY BASED ON LUCK....sigh...its a button smashers dream where matches are based on quick punches and hoping your opponents never press the same button when a special attack/wave is initiated...sigh...you want to launch ki attacks of any kind while up close & personal? Sorry but u must first initiate a scene first & pray your opponent isn't pressing the same button...oh but wait you can freely use any ki attacks but ONLY if your inside a blast zone?why do I have to be a mile away to freely use ki attacks without initiating a scene? Kind lots of characters were blasted in the face from atleast 3 feet away in the show but not here...sign...I like the giant ape battles but the where left without the essence of what made those battles intense...being able to get up close & personal but you can only use weak ki blast until you stun them then your free to assault a giant finger?...sigh...battles are EXTREMELY REPETITIVE after at least 20
    Minutes of spamming uninteresting moves until u realize that one press of a button easily leads up to a thirty hit combo...matches can end very quickly & you soon realize special attacks are pointless...but my main gripe about the combat was the fact that you can ONLY use your finisher attacks( I.e sport bomb)when your opponent's has 10,000 or less damage!?...sigh...most fights end with you accidentally beating your opponent's instead of the way you want...the graphics are very impressive & the characters looks are faithful to the show I also liked hero mode which lets you create a character which is a first in the series but clothing customizing is limited but well worth using! All in all its to flawed a game with repetitive fighting,boring gameplay coupled with an inability to actually guard(certain areas you can block but still take 2,000 plus damage defeats the purpose of using it)makes this a broken & terribly flawed game! Burst limit may have few characters but at least its entertaining even DB raging blast is better..AVOID AT ALL COST!!!
  7. Nov 17, 2012
    As a huge DBZ fan this is one of the games that made me jump for joy when being announced and disappointed me so much when playing. The first DBZ which I stopped playing after not only a month ...
    Normally DBZ game lasts me the whole year till a new comes out .. pity Graphics is a true orgasm: OUTSTANDING 11/10
    Gameplay: -1/10 (Which is one of the most important aspects of the game, has
    always been)

NO THANKS !
  8. Nov 27, 2012
    1. As far as I can tell, the only race you can play as is (Human?) or a Saiyan without a tail. (In Hero Mode) Note that I haven't gotten very far, but all of the unlockable items I've found are clothing, hair, and emblems for your uniform.

2. The Boss fights are a bit hairy, they're based on Quick-Time button presses, and dodging something that can hit about half of the field of view.

3. The Ultimate Attack cannot be used unless either you or the enemy is in the red for health, and your "spirit" gauge doesn't unlock the final 2 charges (which you have to charge up after they unlock) until that requirement is met. 4. There is no skill to launching your finishers, no button combinations, no special attack spamming like the old games. It's pretty much just shooting energy blasts at the opponent when you're out of Melee range, and getting back into Melee range when you hit a combo, which teleports you in and you choose either Melee combo, or Energy combo at that point.

5. The movement is clunky, slow, and drags fights down, you can't charge your opponent in Melee range, and the movements are far from smooth.

6. Every online match I've attempted to complete ends in a connection time-out.

They essentially just made it melee/energy ball spam turning them into combos, by the time you get to see your "Finisher" you've likely finished off the enemy anyway.
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    A real hit and miss. The expectation was another simple and fun fighting game for the Tenkaichi series... but the game is really based on strategy instead of basic fighting which DBZ is known for. The gameplay is stiff and a bore, customization is very limited, creating a custom character is also limited. Pretty much the worse DBZ game ever made in the Tenkaichi series. Only good thing about the game is the music... that's it. Expand
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    This "game" is a technical demo at best. I don't know how the testers passed this game as playable and entertaining, but the interactivity is less than in Sumotori. As the other sane and genuinely disappointed fans I can only put up a good word for the graphics and visual effects. Everything else about this game, and I do mean everything, is blatant insult to the players, the genre and the franchise. No redeemable qualities whatsoever. I'd give an arm an a leg for cutscenes like in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and the fighting system from Tenkaichi Budokai 3. Expand
  11. Dec 6, 2013
    its sad how they try to improve game quality but there's nothing like the classic budokai tenkaichi 3 for ps2.
    In this i click on 10 buttons max until combat is over chain ,chain chain etc.
  12. Jan 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm just gonna start by saying more needs to be added to the dbz series I'm tired of the same battles with the same villains. This was a terrible game the game play is limited and the fighting is boring, I hate the fact that I wasted my money. The only good part was the fact that I could create my own fighter but fighting with any character was dreadful this is just a modified game of "rock,paper,scissors" and is based all on luck. The fact that I didn't even know how to use my ultimate moves at first is terrible and should never happen. This game was so bad it makes you think that the newer ones coming out in the future will be just as bad because of that reason I cannot see myself buying another dbz game. Nice graphics by the way, the gameplay just really threw me off and pissed me off. Expand
  13. May 30, 2014
    One of the worst DBZ games ever made, one of the worst anime games ever made and one of the worst this gen games.
    Whole game consists of interactive cutscenes, this is not something anyone would like to see in FIGHTING game.
  14. Nov 27, 2012

6. Every online match I've attempted to complete ends in a connection time-out.

1. Dec 3, 2012
    At the end of the day, Dragonball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is an interesting game that provides plenty of fan service. If you have never played the series before, you might be confused by the over the top battles that for me is reminiscent of the excellent TV series Monkey Magic. Unfortunately like most Dragonball Z games, Ultimate Tenkaichi is a little like rock paper scissors when it comes to combat that focuses more on luck opposed to skill. Nonetheless, it's a fun romp through the Dragonball Z universe!
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    In the end, I found myself sticking to the story mode more than anything (which was short, but decent enough), but I just couldn't get into the game. I have to commend Spike on replicating the look of the anime, but I felt I was left with a shallow experience. Hardcore DBZ fans will probably find it the game worth it and battling fellow fans online might be a good way to pass the time.
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is a beautiful-looking game on the outside but downright ugly on the inside.