5.5

1. Oct 31, 2011
    Extremely entertaining, this really feels like the ultimate Dragon Ball Z game - the story mode is fantastic, as gameplay follows from beginning to end of the series. A must-play for any Dragon Ball fans!
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    This new dragon ball z is probably one of my favorite ones that I have played so far because it has new graphics layout, new fighting system, Destructible environments and the ability to customize your character.
  3. Oct 28, 2011
    This is another innovative dbz game, like last year's DBZ: Tenkaichi Tag Team. Only here, thev'e entirely altered the gameplay. The graphics & giant bosses were the best parts, I think.
  4. Oct 27, 2011
    Just what i always wanted for a dragon ball game. It may not be the best fighting game there is but sure is the best dragon ball game. Amazing graphics, brutal ultimate attacks, engaging combat with beautifully animeted cutscenes and of course customised characters.
  5. Oct 31, 2011
    This game is awesome for someone who actually likes the series. The haters that hate this game are probably naruto fanboys. There are no flaws with this great game
  6. Nov 3, 2011
    No, just no. This can't be serious. Is it a joke? Unfortunately, I don't think it is. Never in my life have I seen a fighting game with such a non-existent system for actual fighting. This isn't a video game, it's rock, paper, scissors with graphics. And, what's even worse, is that it actually tries to make you think that the there is a deep, complex system with a barrage of tutorials and a needlessly cluttered interface. This game makes Samurai Shodown Sen look like a **** Street Fighter IV. It's THAT bad.

It's a shame, because I actually thought that the Raging Blast series was a pretty good addition to the Dragonball franchise. This, on the other hand, isn't even dignified to be called a game. Why should I keep going into detail describing the different modes and characters if there isn't even a game there to sustain them? No, I'll leave it at that, saying that this is, by far, the worst fighter I have ever played. At least the graphics look nice, and that's all that matters in todays world, isn't it? Great job, Spike. Absolutely brilliant.
  7. Dec 14, 2011
    This is by far my favorite DBZ game ever! i am very happy to say that this really is the Ultimate Tenkaichi! Great graphics and the hero mode has endless possibilities to create Gohan, Goten, Goku Jr, etc...
  8. Apr 4, 2012
    Ultimate Dbz tenkaichi dbz the best of all time and the best fighting games of the year 2011-2012. The most advanced combat mode and character creator. The story mode literally like drawing animated. So the best game of all time
  9. Jun 7, 2012
    This is literally the worst video game I have *ever* played. Let me explain. I was expecting something in the same vein as DBZ Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi 2, or Budockai Tenkaichi 3, all of which I have enjoyed, all of which I am now unable to play (PS2 broke, PS3 slim not reverse compatible, Wii stolen). Looking for something to fill the void and filled with fond memories from the Budokai series I bought Ultimate Tenkaichi, for $60. I had such high hopes. Combat literally boils down to a coin flip every 10-15 seconds. WHY IS THIS IN NO REVIEWS. I'm not even kidding, it is nearly complete random chance. I read IGN's review expecting stellar gameplay that was perhaps a little too similar between characters. What I did NOT expect was a game where literally any skin could be thrown on the character, as everyone fights exactly the same.

Let me sum up gameplay for you, and I am NOT oversimplifying, I'm spelling it out for those who haven't bought the game, and I hope to dissuade them from ever buying the game.

Gameplay is as follows: Approach enemy. Press Square 3 times. If blocked press triangle to break block, then press square three times. Coin flip, press either Square or Triangle. If you succeeded: CONGRATULATIONS! Press the corresponding key 4 more times. If you failed: BAD LUCK! Try again.

But, apparently there's some ranged combat in this game, you say? Well yeah, and it goes EXACTLY THE SAME as melee combat, except you lose the somewhat useful ability to get behind an opponent to avoid the coin flip. Press square for blockable energy blasts, press triangle for a block breaking energy blast. Press circle to block.

THAT IS THE GAMEPLAY. You can press up or down on the right stick for a flashy special move, and do transformations with L2, and that's the entire game. Do you want to know the worst part? Ok, I'll tell you. EVERY CHARACTER FUNCTIONS EXACTLY THE SAME! It's not that they're "a bit similar" or "vaguely reminiscent" of each other, they are identical. The only difference I have noticed at all are different special attacks (the right stick ones, the ones you use 2-5 of in a match) and some different attack animations while you spam Square/Triangle. Every combo in the game is Square->Square->Square->Coin Flip. And that is completely and utterly unacceptable. I'm a huge DBZ fan. I'm also a huge Budokai fan. This is just so goddamn heartbreakingly disappointing that I can't adequately put it into words. Do not buy this game, unless you REALLY want to see what a coin flip simulator looks like with a graphical user interface.
  10. Nov 7, 2013
    I love this game...it's a great game and the controls are awesome. The gameplay and story are alike, along with characters from different sagas. The unlockables are great and the stages are perfect. The best 3D DBZ game ever released on PS3.

1. Dec 3, 2012
    At the end of the day, Dragonball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is an interesting game that provides plenty of fan service. If you have never played the series before, you might be confused by the over the top battles that for me is reminiscent of the excellent TV series Monkey Magic. Unfortunately like most Dragonball Z games, Ultimate Tenkaichi is a little like rock paper scissors when it comes to combat that focuses more on luck opposed to skill. Nonetheless, it's a fun romp through the Dragonball Z universe!
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    In the end, I found myself sticking to the story mode more than anything (which was short, but decent enough), but I just couldn't get into the game. I have to commend Spike on replicating the look of the anime, but I felt I was left with a shallow experience. Hardcore DBZ fans will probably find it the game worth it and battling fellow fans online might be a good way to pass the time.
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is a beautiful-looking game on the outside but downright ugly on the inside.