5.5

1. May 30, 2014
    One of the worst DBZ games ever made, one of the worst anime games ever made and one of the worst this gen games.
    Whole game consists of interactive cutscenes, this is not something anyone would like to see in FIGHTING game.
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm just gonna start by saying more needs to be added to the dbz series I'm tired of the same battles with the same villains. This was a terrible game the game play is limited and the fighting is boring, I hate the fact that I wasted my money. The only good part was the fact that I could create my own fighter but fighting with any character was dreadful this is just a modified game of "rock,paper,scissors" and is based all on luck. The fact that I didn't even know how to use my ultimate moves at first is terrible and should never happen. This game was so bad it makes you think that the newer ones coming out in the future will be just as bad because of that reason I cannot see myself buying another dbz game. Nice graphics by the way, the gameplay just really threw me off and pissed me off. Expand
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    its sad how they try to improve game quality but there's nothing like the classic budokai tenkaichi 3 for ps2.
    In this i click on 10 buttons max until combat is over chain ,chain chain etc.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor juego de Playstation 3 sobre Dragón Ball, pero a su vez confirma un hecho, en esta generación todos los juegos basados en la obra de Akira Toriyama son una basura, no sirven para nada, jamás se compararán a la sagas Budokai y Tenkaichi, ni punto de comparación, me esperaba algo mas comestible, es decepcionante, combates sosos y repetitivos, es siempre mas de lo mismo, parece que no luchas tu, si no la IA, es penoso que saquen un juego como este a estas alturas, simplemente horrible, no lo recomiendo para nada, el mismo día que lo compre, después de jugarlo mas de 2 horas...lo devolví porque no merece la pena gastar un euro en esta cosa. Expand
  5. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is Awesome because they mixed budikia and tenkaichi game styles nicely but the Boss battles are Retarded. Hero mode is dream come true for a dbz nerd but the Great Apes are impossible to beat and makes Hero mode pointless. If I ever come across the person that designed the boss battles I will stab them in the taint.
  6. Nov 7, 2013
    I love this game...it's a great game and the controls are awesome. The gameplay and story are alike, along with characters from different sagas. The unlockables are great and the stages are perfect. The best 3D DBZ game ever released on PS3.
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    This "game" is a technical demo at best. I don't know how the testers passed this game as playable and entertaining, but the interactivity is less than in Sumotori. As the other sane and genuinely disappointed fans I can only put up a good word for the graphics and visual effects. Everything else about this game, and I do mean everything, is blatant insult to the players, the genre and the franchise. No redeemable qualities whatsoever. I'd give an arm an a leg for cutscenes like in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and the fighting system from Tenkaichi Budokai 3. Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2013
    First of all, I have been away from the DBZ Series since Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 1.

The concept of freedom is basically from Budokai 3 with the implementation of Hero Mode which give you a few customization choices like skin tone, hair style, hair color and even the aura of your character when powering up.

The Story mode instead is great and will take you a day to run through
    all the DBZ saga. The scripted character dialogue and in-game cut scenes during the fight are awesome. There are also some collectables and a bunch of material that will require a 2nd or 3rd run-through... it's all icing on the cake since you can turn up the difficulty on your next run.

As said before, Hero mode is a nice breath of fresh air. Being a bald Super Saiyan with Broly's costume and abilities (including his green aura) is also very appealing. However, an example of a great idea performed horribly is in fights against giants.. The issue is that the controls are clunky and slow when you find yourself stuck in a extraordinary long ki-blast animation while your huge ape opponent shoots an attack that you can easily avoid... I wish they would have kept the giant battles in the same area you fight other opponents... You are stuck going left or right and moving 10 feet up and down the platform.

Other than that controll issue the game is fun. It's NOT perfect but it is rewarding to say the least. If you're looking for a good DBZ game to put a few weeks into then this is it... it'll keep you happy until Battle of Z comes out
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    A real hit and miss. The expectation was another simple and fun fighting game for the Tenkaichi series... but the game is really based on strategy instead of basic fighting which DBZ is known for. The gameplay is stiff and a bore, customization is very limited, creating a custom character is also limited. Pretty much the worse DBZ game ever made in the Tenkaichi series. Only good thing about the game is the music... that's it. Expand
  10. Nov 27, 2012
    1. As far as I can tell, the only race you can play as is (Human?) or a Saiyan without a tail. (In Hero Mode) Note that I haven't gotten very far, but all of the unlockable items I've found are clothing, hair, and emblems for your uniform.

2. The Boss fights are a bit hairy, they're based on Quick-Time button presses, and dodging something that can hit about half of the field of view.

3. The Ultimate Attack cannot be used unless either you or the enemy is in the red for health, and your "spirit" gauge doesn't unlock the final 2 charges (which you have to charge up after they unlock) until that requirement is met. 4. There is no skill to launching your finishers, no button combinations, no special attack spamming like the old games. It's pretty much just shooting energy blasts at the opponent when you're out of Melee range, and getting back into Melee range when you hit a combo, which teleports you in and you choose either Melee combo, or Energy combo at that point.

5. The movement is clunky, slow, and drags fights down, you can't charge your opponent in Melee range, and the movements are far from smooth.

6. Every online match I've attempted to complete ends in a connection time-out.

They essentially just made it melee/energy ball spam turning them into combos, by the time you get to see your "Finisher" you've likely finished off the enemy anyway.
  11. Nov 17, 2012
    As a huge DBZ fan this is one of the games that made me jump for joy when being announced and disappointed me so much when playing. The first DBZ which I stopped playing after not only a month ...
    Normally DBZ game lasts me the whole year till a new comes out .. pity Graphics is a true orgasm: OUTSTANDING 11/10
    Gameplay: -1/10 (Which is one of the most important aspects of the game, has
    always been)

NO THANKS !
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    Very easy controls!! Very easy battles!! Square!!! Hit square!!!! Square!!! And... more square. But... it's a very fun game, great animations... great story mode. Just relax!! It's fun!!
  13. Oct 7, 2012
    Ultimate Tenkaichi is a innovative new experience of the Dragon Ball series. It has a new battle system, which has the DBZ's explosive fights, but it's really repetitive after a time. I don't see it good that the battles are about, that you make a combo and then you see a movie, where your character hits always the same way the other character. This turns out obnoxious after a time. The new Hero Mode is great, you can make your own character, give him superopowers and make him a super saiyan! You can battle online with your character. The graphics are sure amazing compared to other games, but they are minimized thanks that in battles you don't have freedom to do your own specific combos and movements. This game would have been the best game if the battle system wasn't so bad. Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2012
    Worth playing, but fights are too much the same and take too long. A great part of the fights is decided by coincidence rather that ability. The good thing is, button mashing will get you nowhere, but the possibilities of actions you have are very limited. There are long loading screens even for 5-second videos. Also I found it strange that you can select nearly every character from the start.
  15. Sep 10, 2012
    It was such the disapointment I had with this game that I had to create my account in Metacritic only to tell other people to stay away from this thing. I am a fan of DBZ and I loved the Budokai Tenkaichi series, it is hard to believe that there are companies that doesn't strive for improvement, that once they had accomplish a good game (Budokai Tenckaichi series) they are happy with this kind of garbage.

The good part are the visuals, they are great, but the gameplay is incredibly, and I repeat, INCREDIBLY BORING, nothing compared with the agility and the fast pace of the BT series, it is repetitive, it is slow, if you only push one button continuously it is enough to win battles; also, to win a battle you don't need skill, you need luck because the game forces you into clashes and the clashes are won by luck.

I dream to play another great DBZ game, I hope Ban Dai steps away from these horrible series and finally bring us something worth the money, wouldn't it be good for their business? It would be as simple as taking DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and make it have the visuals of the current generation consoles, that's it, even if that game wasn't perfect, it is better in 95% of its content than this one.
  16. Jun 24, 2012
    Ok where to begin.....I got it:remember those ps2 classic DB games? You know those classic DB games you enjoyed with friends whether you played the 2D/3D version those past games let you do what this game don't not...use ACTUAL skill when playing...sigh...sadly matches(whether fight against a person or CPU) is SOLELY BASED ON LUCK....sigh...its a button smashers dream where matches are based on quick punches and hoping your opponents never press the same button when a special attack/wave is initiated...sigh...you want to launch ki attacks of any kind while up close & personal? Sorry but u must first initiate a scene first & pray your opponent isn't pressing the same button...oh but wait you can freely use any ki attacks but ONLY if your inside a blast zone?why do I have to be a mile away to freely use ki attacks without initiating a scene? Kind lots of characters were blasted in the face from atleast 3 feet away in the show but not here...sign...I like the giant ape battles but the where left without the essence of what made those battles intense...being able to get up close & personal but you can only use weak ki blast until you stun them then your free to assault a giant finger?...sigh...battles are EXTREMELY REPETITIVE after at least 20
    Minutes of spamming uninteresting moves until u realize that one press of a button easily leads up to a thirty hit combo...matches can end very quickly & you soon realize special attacks are pointless...but my main gripe about the combat was the fact that you can ONLY use your finisher attacks( I.e sport bomb)when your opponent's has 10,000 or less damage!?...sigh...most fights end with you accidentally beating your opponent's instead of the way you want...the graphics are very impressive & the characters looks are faithful to the show I also liked hero mode which lets you create a character which is a first in the series but clothing customizing is limited but well worth using! All in all its to flawed a game with repetitive fighting,boring gameplay coupled with an inability to actually guard(certain areas you can block but still take 2,000 plus damage defeats the purpose of using it)makes this a broken & terribly flawed game! Burst limit may have few characters but at least its entertaining even DB raging blast is better..AVOID AT ALL COST!!!
  17. Jun 18, 2012
    Dragon Ball Ultimate Tenkaichi is a fine fighting game that has somewhat improved from previous games. The new fighting mechanism is more user friendly and faster to learn. Separating Ki from super attacks was a good move, since now you actually have to do some basic ki attacks and melee fighting to be able to use them. Having to change from melee to blast range made the game more realistic, since you wont be waving your fists at an enemy who is far away. Ultimate Tenkaichi's biggest problem was at how it was trying to look like an animation in the story mode. Most of the fights couldn''t even be properly started when a cut scene suddenly interrupted you... Multiple times per fight.

Still, Ultimate Tenkaichi looked good, felt good and was good. A must buy for any Dragon Ball fan.
  18. Jun 10, 2012
    I grew up with Dragonball and Dragonball Z and since it's fighting game debut on the PlayStation 2, I have always been a fan of their games, but to be honest, those games weren't always the best. It wasn't until a few years later that we started to see truly good games.

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is a good looking game, maybe one of the current best looking games to date. They have
    the character designs and models spot on, but there is a lot more to a game then just looking good.

The music is pretty redundant. You'll hear the same Dragonball Z stylized music over and over again throughout the entire game. Would it have had really killed them to do some new, original music to the mix of the standard fare?

The "Budokai" series of fighting games offers a fantastic mix of fighter variety and immersive game play all thrown into a wonderful 3D environment. There is nothing more satisfying then throwing an enemy and slamming them into mountain tops of throwing them into oceans. Unfortunately Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi offers almost none of that.

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi offers players an oversimplified combat engine that ends up boiling down to a game of rock paper scissors. You end up seeing the same attacks and moves over and over and over again. A lot of times characters and enemies are nothing more then re-modeled clones of other fighters, all with the same recycled move sets.

The game tried to boast "fully destructible" environments, but it's pretty much a bold faced lie. The only time you are going to see any sort of environment destruction is when you perform some sort of super move and that's it. What happened to being able to throw people into mountains and slamming them into the ground? It's an important part of the Dragonball Z franchise and they completely ignored it.

The boss fights are just jokes, instead of acting like a fighting game, which is what Ultimate Tenkaichi is, most of the boss fights are nothing more then "God of War" style fights, requiring you to press buttons in a quick series of sequences. Some of the fights are really annoying and frustrating just because of the poor hit detection and button sequences and it leaves me wishing they would have thrown it out.

There's another problem I have with the game and it is it's often pointless and boring flying sequences. When you are being pursued, you have to try and "stay ahead" of the enemy, if you don't, often you can get hurt or even "fail" the event, forcing you to start over. What is even more annoying is often times fights are linked with the flying sequences, if you fail one or the other, you have to start the entire event over again. There's no reason why they had to add this in and it isn't fun.

One thing they got spot on was how long winded the Dragonball Z franchise was. You are going to spend a lot of times listening to a lot of boring, stupid banter, what is even worse is, they don't even follow the actual conversations from the anime, a lot of times what they say was never part of the original conversation, it seems the developers took a creative role in this. One of my biggest disappointments was how few OVAs (original video animations) were actually in the game. The first chapter or so before the game goes to the Namek Saga, there are a ton of brand new OVAs to compliment the game, it seems right after the first chapter someone got lazy, because after that, any OVAs are very few and far between. Ultimate Tenkaichi offers what is called a "Hero Mode", where you can "design" your own character to play part if the history of Dragonball Z. If you call being able to pick from a very limited selection of customizing options, all built around playing as a Saiyan, then you hit the nail right on the head. I felt like they could have done so much more with the idea of a customized hero creator and instead they just got really lazy with it. All in all, this is a really sub-par fighting game that ends up relying more on a terrible rock, paper, scissors style of game play then an actual fighting game. The developers had some really great ideas and if they would have actually tried, this game would have been awesome.

Currently, this game still retails for about $50.00 or $60.00 in stores and I'd advise anyone who loves Dragonball Z or good fighting games to instead spend $20.00 and pick up a copy of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, you'll be glad you did.
  19. Jun 7, 2012
    This is literally the worst video game I have *ever* played. Let me explain. I was expecting something in the same vein as DBZ Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi 2, or Budockai Tenkaichi 3, all of which I have enjoyed, all of which I am now unable to play (PS2 broke, PS3 slim not reverse compatible, Wii stolen). Looking for something to fill the void and filled with fond memories from the Budokai series I bought Ultimate Tenkaichi, for $60. I had such high hopes. Combat literally boils down to a coin flip every 10-15 seconds. WHY IS THIS IN NO REVIEWS. I'm not even kidding, it is nearly complete random chance. I read IGN's review expecting stellar gameplay that was perhaps a little too similar between characters. What I did NOT expect was a game where literally any skin could be thrown on the character, as everyone fights exactly the same.

Let me sum up gameplay for you, and I am NOT oversimplifying, I'm spelling it out for those who haven't bought the game, and I hope to dissuade them from ever buying the game.

Gameplay is as follows: Approach enemy. Press Square 3 times. If blocked press triangle to break block, then press square three times. Coin flip, press either Square or Triangle. If you succeeded: CONGRATULATIONS! Press the corresponding key 4 more times. If you failed: BAD LUCK! Try again.

But, apparently there's some ranged combat in this game, you say? Well yeah, and it goes EXACTLY THE SAME as melee combat, except you lose the somewhat useful ability to get behind an opponent to avoid the coin flip. Press square for blockable energy blasts, press triangle for a block breaking energy blast. Press circle to block.

THAT IS THE GAMEPLAY. You can press up or down on the right stick for a flashy special move, and do transformations with L2, and that's the entire game. Do you want to know the worst part? Ok, I'll tell you. EVERY CHARACTER FUNCTIONS EXACTLY THE SAME! It's not that they're "a bit similar" or "vaguely reminiscent" of each other, they are identical. The only difference I have noticed at all are different special attacks (the right stick ones, the ones you use 2-5 of in a match) and some different attack animations while you spam Square/Triangle. Every combo in the game is Square->Square->Square->Coin Flip. And that is completely and utterly unacceptable. I'm a huge DBZ fan. I'm also a huge Budokai fan. This is just so goddamn heartbreakingly disappointing that I can't adequately put it into words. Do not buy this game, unless you REALLY want to see what a coin flip simulator looks like with a graphical user interface.
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    Ultimate Dbz tenkaichi dbz the best of all time and the best fighting games of the year 2011-2012. The most advanced combat mode and character creator. The story mode literally like drawing animated. So the best game of all time
  21. Apr 4, 2012
    this is the game most nullllllllllllllllll I've never played better dbz BT3, BT2, BT.
    fighting are not as spectacular despite graphisement succeeded, still 2D.
  22. Mar 4, 2012
    Just execute chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain after chain...
  23. Dec 14, 2011
    This is by far my favorite DBZ game ever! i am very happy to say that this really is the Ultimate Tenkaichi! Great graphics and the hero mode has endless possibilities to create Gohan, Goten, Goku Jr, etc...
  24. Dec 9, 2011
    This has to be one of the worst Dragonball Z games i have ever played, and i have played most of them since i was so willing to buy this despite the £38 price tag (Buyers remorse)
    Positives first, the graphics are nice, good scenery, good models, good effects on the ki charging and the power ups and the energy attacks, but that is it.
    The negatives, well lets just say
    everything else is a negative.
    There is no freedom in the fighting, you are almost forced to continuously use combo attacks which initiate themselves after the shorts amount of punching (3) this is the only was to gather enough energy to fire up a Kamehameha wave, which is sad because the amount of damage the punches do means the fight is almost over after 2 Kamehameha waves.
    the camera is shoddy and the story is horrendously boring, don't get me wrong i love DBZ and the story, but something is missing here.

the world travelling system is boring too, and pointless. The fights are always the same no matter who you are and you are always forced to do the same horrible combo's (watching goku chase after a number of different enemies he has just punched becomes boring even before the end of the saiyan saga.

All in all, a boring game unfortunatly, DBZ raging blast series was better, and burst limit was better than that.
  25. Nov 24, 2011
    The tie-in dedicated to Goku and co. have been many, many more will surely be the products over the years, but it seems so difficult to accept gameplay systems are ever more simple and "driven" to make the whole gaming experience poor interest. The new work of Spike is only recommended to all fans of the series that can not help but experience the most historic battles that have seen the animated TV series, but not all those who are looking for a fresh and varied, as this new chapter is repetitive and boring to exciting fights recently, undermined by a technical realization identical to Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 and a very low level of difficulty. Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Ultimate is the classic tie-in Annual , packed with too much haste and superficiality, where the most demanding fans no doubt would prefer to wait to receive a title as it should. To save the entire production from the rejection we think the graphics produced in a more than good and above average longevity, but interesting enough to make the title? http://www.4news.it/9788-recensione-dragon-ball-z-ultimate-tenkaichi.php Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2011
    Nice animation and graphics as well as action sequences, however it all becomes just too repetitive after 4 hours of gameplay, same animation flow no matter what character you choose. The fights are just too automated, imagine god of war button sequences on screen. The create a character is a very nice addition although somewhat limited in options. Would be nice to expand this idea in the future. Cast should be with more characters. Expand
  27. Nov 3, 2011
    No, just no. This can't be serious. Is it a joke? Unfortunately, I don't think it is. Never in my life have I seen a fighting game with such a non-existent system for actual fighting. This isn't a video game, it's rock, paper, scissors with graphics. And, what's even worse, is that it actually tries to make you think that the there is a deep, complex system with a barrage of tutorials and a needlessly cluttered interface. This game makes Samurai Shodown Sen look like a **** Street Fighter IV. It's THAT bad.

It's a shame, because I actually thought that the Raging Blast series was a pretty good addition to the Dragonball franchise. This, on the other hand, isn't even dignified to be called a game. Why should I keep going into detail describing the different modes and characters if there isn't even a game there to sustain them? No, I'll leave it at that, saying that this is, by far, the worst fighter I have ever played. At least the graphics look nice, and that's all that matters in todays world, isn't it? Great job, Spike. Absolutely brilliant.
  28. Oct 31, 2011
    Extremely entertaining, this really feels like the ultimate Dragon Ball Z game - the story mode is fantastic, as gameplay follows from beginning to end of the series. A must-play for any Dragon Ball fans!
  29. Oct 31, 2011
    This game is awesome for someone who actually likes the series. The haters that hate this game are probably naruto fanboys. There are no flaws with this great game
  30. Oct 28, 2011
    This is another innovative dbz game, like last year's DBZ: Tenkaichi Tag Team. Only here, thev'e entirely altered the gameplay. The graphics & giant bosses were the best parts, I think.
  31. Oct 27, 2011
    Just what i always wanted for a dragon ball game. It may not be the best fighting game there is but sure is the best dragon ball game. Amazing graphics, brutal ultimate attacks, engaging combat with beautifully animeted cutscenes and of course customised characters.
  32. Oct 26, 2011
    This new dragon ball z is probably one of my favorite ones that I have played so far because it has new graphics layout, new fighting system, Destructible environments and the ability to customize your character.
  33. Oct 25, 2011
    Ultimate disappointment, ultimate letdown. I have played all dragon Ball fighting games, including SuperNinendo, PlayStation 1, 2, and 3, Saturn, Xbox360 even Arcade editions- This is the most boring and horrible of all times. Gameplay is terrible, almost depressing. It is not fan like Budokai 2 and 3, it has not the freedom and depth of tenkaichi 3. The only good thing about this game are the visuals, and even this is arguable. The story mode is as boring as counting clouds, repetitive, slow... What the **** is this, seriously. Please give us a Tenkaichi 3 in HD. I want my money back. Expand
  34. Oct 31, 2011

1. Dec 3, 2012
    At the end of the day, Dragonball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is an interesting game that provides plenty of fan service. If you have never played the series before, you might be confused by the over the top battles that for me is reminiscent of the excellent TV series Monkey Magic. Unfortunately like most Dragonball Z games, Ultimate Tenkaichi is a little like rock paper scissors when it comes to combat that focuses more on luck opposed to skill. Nonetheless, it's a fun romp through the Dragonball Z universe!
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    In the end, I found myself sticking to the story mode more than anything (which was short, but decent enough), but I just couldn't get into the game. I have to commend Spike on replicating the look of the anime, but I felt I was left with a shallow experience. Hardcore DBZ fans will probably find it the game worth it and battling fellow fans online might be a good way to pass the time.
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi is a beautiful-looking game on the outside but downright ugly on the inside.