8.4

1. Aug 6, 2013
    Absolutely gorgeous 2D art and animation, need more games like this these days. I also got the free art book, very nice. Congrats ATLAS on this massive hit!
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    People are so funny...

People are so funny...

I love 'retro-style' video games and appreciate fantastic art-styling. For all of you stating that this game is 'disgusting' and a poor depiction of women, please move on to another board. It's a fantasy game with fantasy characters. There's nothing as offensive in this game as there are in the TV shows and movies that we all watch on a daily basis. Don't be hypocritical.

I commend VanillaWare and Atlus for creating one of the most engaging and gorgeous side scrolling adventures I've ever had the pleasure of taking. The simplistic control scheme and easy navigation of menus is refreshing, reminds me of that mantra 'a little bit goes a long way'. There is some grinding, but that's to be expected with any game of this particular genre. It's also refreshing that VanillaWare included such a refined multiplayer experience. It's nice to still have at least one company, and one publisher that hears the cries of gamers these days. Thank you VanillaWare, and thank you Atlus for creating an amazing gaming experience! You guys are the best!
  3. Aug 7, 2013
    Vanillaware has created the best multiplayer beat 'em up and even implemented RPG elements.
    Dragon's Crown has surpassed Final Fight 3 as the best of this kind of genre.
  4. Aug 6, 2013
    Whoever hates this game because of its artstyle or girls haven't even played the game. One tiny thing that maybe only you don't enjoy shouldn't even bring the game down one point, and if you find other tiny things to criticize the game about just because you hate the big boobs, you extremely stupid.
  5. Aug 6, 2013
    Great game overall with much more than I originally expected and also big jugs are not something new to the videogame industry everyone is just throwing a fit because of feminists who can't seem to solve real world problems involving woman so they move to something of little to no concern.
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    Definitely cool to see a new game made with the side scrolling hack n slash formula of old with RPG elements. I am really enjoying this game right now and it's nice to see something different then the 50 shooters that come out every year.
  7. Aug 6, 2013
    If your big fan of old school games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, this is a definite must buy.

Hopefully Sega will see this game's success and give us our rightful Streets of Rage sequel.
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    A perfect game.
    A perfect game.
    Visually stunning. The feminists and their white knights that find the females boob size tasteless, are not saying a single word about the men in this game. It's completely hypocritical and should be completely ignored by any and all reasonable people. It also has NO place in video games as video games are meant to entertain, not cater to whiny people who find everything offensive.

Fun GAME. The action is awesome. They took beat-em up from the 90's (See Streets of Rage, Golden Axe), added some RPG factors (stats, gear, leveling up), and have created something that feels so very nostalgic. It's very fun and I only wish they would add more variety of monsters through DLC.

Story is a throw back to medieval fantasy games. It's not important in a beat-em up in my opinion.

I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for some enjoyment on their PS3/Vita. It will give you an idea of why the golden age of gaming was so much better.
  9. Aug 7, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game with beautiful hand drawn 2D art that Vanillaware is known for. Plays like an updated D&D:SOM. I'm glad that this game seems to be doing well and hope for many more from VW.
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    this game is a ton of fun! all the characters are fun to play and it really feels like D&D at times thanks to the narrator. I play local multiplayer with my friends and we have a blast for hours. definitely one of the best multiplayer rps and one of the most unique rpgs out there.

the art is nice and all sprites are fully HD. The enemies are all classic D&D. The point and click system to investigate/ tell your rogue to unlock doors and chests is also pretty cool and gives a whole new layer of interactivity with the maps.

Overall this is a fun game with fresh sprites..oh and for anyone saying the girls are too sexualized..just look at the males. they're all just as big and bulky.
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    This and Tales of Xillia are among the best games I have played in ages, Dragon's Crown is an awesome beat'em up mixed with rpg that is really hard to put down, especially if you have friends to play with.
  12. Aug 11, 2013
    First let me say this game this game is not for everyone. Having said that being a great fan of Vanillaware's Odin Sphere on PS2 I knew I would love this game and I do.

Dragon's Crown is a love letter to DnD and beat em up fans. The art direction is jawdroppingly amazing. The characters and environments must be seen to be believed. Character progression is varied and satisfying. Combat is fun and fluid, although somewhat difficult to hit your enemies with ranged attacks. Voice work is quite good and I loved that all the characters could be chosen as the dungeon master...I mean narrator. The purists even have the option for Japanese voice work. The music score is beautiful but oddly enough, is only in stereo. You won't care after five minutes of Kamitani's masterwork in gaming visuals. Online is unlocked only after a significant amount of time has been put into the game, but local co-op can be enjoyed right from the start.

Vannilaware has made a masterpiece, if you enjoy rpg's, beat em ups, or just art you would be remiss to not check out Dragon's Crown.
  13. Aug 7, 2013
    The side scrolling beat-em-up game here is top notch. There's skill and item systems that give you a lot of options in how you set up for each level, and the game is better for it. The storyline isn't overly memorable, but accomplishes the goal of giving direction to the game. I find the narrator's accent suits the game surprisingly well, though there's other voice options if you don'tThe side scrolling beat-em-up game here is top notch. There's skill and item systems that give you a lot of options in how you set up for each level, and the game is better for it. The storyline isn't overly memorable, but accomplishes the goal of giving direction to the game. I find the narrator's accent suits the game surprisingly well, though there's other voice options if you don't like it (nice touch).

The animations are great. The art style is polarizing, as I'm sure you've noticed. Due to that, I'm ignoring it in this review.

The big thing for me is the multiplayer. Actually playing levels with friends is so smooth that it's like playing locally. I was impressed by that.

I was NOT impressed by the MP matchmaking/lobby system. There's no way to invite a friend to your game. What you have to do is open a slot in the tavern (and fill any other slots you don't want with people with NPCs, then close them), then walk to the stables/gate and wait. Your friend then has to find you and join your game... except when the game thinks you're in another area that can't add people. Which it does, frequently. There's no friends-only mode, if you jump into a level without waiting your friend to join, a random person might join instead.

Once you finish the level you go back to your respective towns and next level you have to go through the join dance again. As levels are all under 20 minutes long, you'll be doing this a lot. About half the time we had to go in and out of zones and turn network mode off/on before it'd pick up that the game was available to join. It's odd how inept this part is, given how smooth and great the actual online gameplay is once you get it going.

Despite the issues MP is still great, particularly if you can get voice chat going with friends and you try to take complimentary skills. Voice chat is also handy to tell someone to stop moving when you're trying to activate rune magic (which is cumbersome to do in combat).

There's a limited number of levels, and they're not huge. Hopefully they add more in DLC. They do get branching paths later in the game which does add some extra levels. Bosses are varied and interesting.

All in all this is a great entry in the genre, and it's nice to see it get some love again.
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    This game is a very enjoyable, action packed beat 'em up game with satisfying combat and interesting RPG elements. Online/Co-Op is a blast (especially Co-op with a buddy). The art style is beautiful in general though some may find the women to be in poor taste. It SEEMS like the levels will be disappointingly empty at first but at a certain point everything opens up.
  15. Aug 12, 2013
    Nostalgia aside, Dragon's Crown seems little more than yet another tired attempt at male fanservice by turning women into sex objects to be exploited. While the JRPG-style visuals are impressive, it should be an insult to any who play it Atlus is telling men that a pair of G-cup breasts will automatically open their wallets. While this might be true for a lot of men, I know a few thatNostalgia aside, Dragon's Crown seems little more than yet another tired attempt at male fanservice by turning women into sex objects to be exploited. While the JRPG-style visuals are impressive, it should be an insult to any who play it Atlus is telling men that a pair of G-cup breasts will automatically open their wallets. While this might be true for a lot of men, I know a few that need more than that to be impressed. Expand
  16. Aug 6, 2013
    Some cool, albeit very repetitive gameplay that is a throwback to classic beat-em-up games.

Pretty at times but the ridiculous female character art style is downright disgusting. I feel filthy playing this game, and it really makes me sad because it could have been a great game. The lack of cross-platform play and buy is also very odd.
  17. Aug 6, 2013
    Greatest "golden axe" ever seen.
    Plus
    Customization, animation and style.
    Minus
    Very low amount of levels and after 2 time it dont look like diablo.

Playing with friends is fantastic
  18. Aug 10, 2013
    I have been looking for something new lately so for some time now i have been following this game and keeping an eye on it. First off, i bought the game (with out a doubt) and i am about 7 hrs into it and all i can say is heck yes! I was not sure at first if i would even like this game, at a 50$ price tag from first glance i did not understand all the hype which is what intrigued me aboutI have been looking for something new lately so for some time now i have been following this game and keeping an eye on it. First off, i bought the game (with out a doubt) and i am about 7 hrs into it and all i can say is heck yes! I was not sure at first if i would even like this game, at a 50$ price tag from first glance i did not understand all the hype which is what intrigued me about it in the first place though thanks to a lot of online previews from "gaming sites" and me doing my research i decided to throw caution to the wind and just go for it. The art is great and yes its obvious a call to old school times but what really shines to me was its in depth rpg elements twisted into its simplicity of this side scrolling beat 'em up. At first i was thinking that its nothing more then a 15$ arcade down load but now that i have taken the dive i feel that every penny was well worth it. Me my wife and daughter are in love with this game. Couch co-op, single player or online co-op ether way you spin it its a lot of fun and replay is not only high but also fun. Plus its something that feels fresh for everything else these days. Bottom line is that if you think you will like it then you will probably love it and if your still not sure then do like me and do some research....and then buy it. Collapse
  19. Oct 19, 2013
    As you already know Dragons Crown is 2D side scrolling beat em up with a glorious art style. It also has some RPG elements such as leveling up, different character classes and spending loot to customize your character with equipment, magic and upgrade abilities. The hope is your getting a kind of 2D Dark Souls unfortunately Dragons Crown doesn't quite manage to deliver in terms ofAs you already know Dragons Crown is 2D side scrolling beat em up with a glorious art style. It also has some RPG elements such as leveling up, different character classes and spending loot to customize your character with equipment, magic and upgrade abilities. The hope is your getting a kind of 2D Dark Souls unfortunately Dragons Crown doesn't quite manage to deliver in terms of gameplay.

Things hold together quite well for the first few hours while it's still easy. The combat is simple but fun button mashing. The games sumptuous visuals and tidy presentation impress. The wealth of loot and items to spend it on show a good level of depth.

Then you find yourself having to repeat levels to complete side quests. Suddenly there's a lot more enemies on screen and they take a lot more hits to kill. With so much happening all at once you struggle to see your character. You keep getting hit, it feels unfair so you repeat levels again and again to level up and make your character stronger.

And this is the fatal flaw with Dragons Crown. There's no real skill or mastery to it. It's simply a case of repeating the same few stages over and over to level up so you can button mash enemies to death. If you've played Vanillaware's previous game Muramasa then you will find this game shares most of the same problems. If Vanillaware can figure out how to make there games as appealing to play as to look at then we will have a great game.
  20. Aug 8, 2013
    Vanillaware never stopped to impress us gamers. Game after game they make beautiful gems. Dragon's Crown is a Homage to old school hack n Slash games while adding their own signature style of game play. To those who say that this game is sexist I say you are idiots. THIS IS ART!!
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    The game has some of, if not the best 2D art in any video game and it also manages to be one of, if not the best couch co-op role playing games/brawlers ever made while still remaining fun to play solo. The story isn't spectacular, but it is fun at times and most importantly isn't annoying or detrimental to the gameplay.
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    Capcom's classic Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara has finally been dethroned as the measuring stick to which all other beat em ups are compared. It's taken nearly two decades but someone out there finally realized that this genre can be more than a simple button masher to be completed in an hour and put down until you have friends over. Multiple characters with multiple buildsCapcom's classic Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara has finally been dethroned as the measuring stick to which all other beat em ups are compared. It's taken nearly two decades but someone out there finally realized that this genre can be more than a simple button masher to be completed in an hour and put down until you have friends over. Multiple characters with multiple builds will keep the game fresh and new during subsequent playthroughs, and once you finish the game on the hardest difficulty you unlock infinite, randomized dungeons that up the challenge and loot rewards yet again. If you are even a passing fan of the genre you need this game in your life, period. Expand
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    An Excellent revival of a near dead genre that takes a lot of influence from previous games of it's genre. The multiplayer experience local or online is great, and it is set up to have a lot of re-playability for fans of the genre. The additional quests add a lot to explaining a bit of the world background and lore without being too in depth.
  24. Ron
    Aug 8, 2013
    @Fawz... ur an idiot. Who cares if the females in the game have major big ass I think its great! Don't berate a game just cause you don't like its art style. Game is freaking awesome and a perfect homage to the classic beat em ups done with some great modern flair! Also the $50 is fair... there is plenty of replay value here
  25. Aug 26, 2013
    Vanillaware certainly has a knack for beautiful landscapes and creature/character designs and Dragon's Crown is no exception. Dragon's Crown is not only beautiful, but surpasses all games in it's genre in style and replay value. If you are a fan of beat 'em ups and like a challenge that will keep your palms sweating for probably longer than you're comfortable with, give this game a try.Vanillaware certainly has a knack for beautiful landscapes and creature/character designs and Dragon's Crown is no exception. Dragon's Crown is not only beautiful, but surpasses all games in it's genre in style and replay value. If you are a fan of beat 'em ups and like a challenge that will keep your palms sweating for probably longer than you're comfortable with, give this game a try. -insert paragraph about power fantasy/women objectification here- Expand
  26. Aug 20, 2013
    Dragon's Crown will probably end up being my game of the year. Amazing art direction and aesthetic, super fun gameplay, decently high skill ceiling (at least for Elf), and a God-tier soundtrack. My only complaint is similar to that of other Vanillaware games... not enough content. Admittedly I've played the game for ~55 hours so far and haven't felt this to be an issue, but I can see howDragon's Crown will probably end up being my game of the year. Amazing art direction and aesthetic, super fun gameplay, decently high skill ceiling (at least for Elf), and a God-tier soundtrack. My only complaint is similar to that of other Vanillaware games... not enough content. Admittedly I've played the game for ~55 hours so far and haven't felt this to be an issue, but I can see how it would be for some. The randomized Labyrinth of Chaos end-game dungeon definitely alleviates this complaint to a degree, but you have to play through the first 9 stages/18 paths quite a few times before unlocking it fully. Expand
  27. Aug 14, 2013
    Vanillaware gold. Gorgeous art, beautiful music, excellent gameplay-- for folks who remember the days of arcade hack-n-slash-fests like Gauntlet, and even for people who love the more modern interpretations like Castle Crashers. All the charm of Odin's Sphere with extremely satisfying beat 'em up gameplay. The added old school DM style narration is excellent, and the shamelessness of theVanillaware gold. Gorgeous art, beautiful music, excellent gameplay-- for folks who remember the days of arcade hack-n-slash-fests like Gauntlet, and even for people who love the more modern interpretations like Castle Crashers. All the charm of Odin's Sphere with extremely satisfying beat 'em up gameplay. The added old school DM style narration is excellent, and the shamelessness of the cheesecake and beefcake men and women is always entertaining. Expand
  28. Aug 25, 2013
    Gameplay 9/10. Graphics 10/10. Sound 8.5/10. Overall 9.2/10. Definitely a great game. It's worth all of the praise it's garnered recently. Not quite my favorite Vanillaware title, but it's still really good. Worth everyone's time to at least try it.
  29. Aug 18, 2013
    probably the best of the genre this generation. Takes my way back during Golden Axe days. People who are saying that it is way too short are probably trolls. After you finish Normal mode (I logged 25 hrs), harder difficulty opens up and new quests unlocks. I'm still on my first character at Lv35 and I could see myself clocking in another 50 good hours to reach 99.

Combat is insanely fun

Combat is insanely fun although the screen gets cluttered if there are too many skills being cast at once. The devs really hit the right mark with the gameplay mechanics: chaining attacks, equipping the right set for the right monster, cooking, and seemingly infinite loots.

One can really see the amount of effort that they put into this gem. Although I agree that playing the game in long continuous session may get stale, I feel that I can log around 500 hrs with it.
  30. ERB
    Aug 6, 2013
    Game is yeah practically good.Game play is good and even story is not bad.My only problem is the characters I think these characters are lame.I don't like any single character in there.But still I will give it a 6/10 because story is good and even the game play.
  31. Aug 10, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2014
    If you like breasts, Japanese rpg games and beat'em'ups, Dragon's Crown is for you. It's Diabloish hack'n'slash spiced with nice game mechanics and a nice multiplayer co-op. And did I mention it has breasts? Well, it has. In all shapes and sizes. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 13, 2013
    One of the best looking 2D titles of this year and a game that you can spend 50 or 100 hours with and still not have enough. And if you have three friends to enjoy the co-op mode with, Dragon’s Crown is amazing. [13/2013, p.64]
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Dragon’s Crown is a fantastic addition to the RPG genre, bringing an original personality that’s hard to ignore. With an amazing amount of content, this is one game that’s worth the grinding it demands.