Dragon's Dogma PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Jun 5, 2014
    I have a great anecdote for my opinion of this game.

I have a great anecdote for my opinion of this game.

I was wandering around on my way to a mission fairly early on in the game. I suddenly encountered an enormous troll (which is a higher level boss enemy) wandering around the world. I fought for a brutal half an hour, and finally killed it. As I was collecting my loot, a second troll came up and murdered me. No auto-save means I lost all the experience and loot. A Troll in the way of my quest meant I had to do the same thing again if I wanted to progress.

What bothers me is that the game is full of potential. The world is huge, sprawling, vast. The lack of a fast travel system makes it feel even bigger. The climbing combat is unique, and the pawn system is just fabulous. You can make your character look just about any way that you want (my characters all looked like **** mutants). Even the initially confusing class system turns out pretty good. The problem lies with all the "realism." The world doesn't level to you. The strongest monsters out there just casually roam around every place on the map. Even the supposedly "safe" paths can glitch up and be filled with chimera. While it may seem like a good idea, the execution kills the pace of the game, leaving something to be desired. It is, by no means, a bad game. The implementation of ideas that looked good on paper just turned out to be a little lackluster.

If you found yourself complaining in Skyrim because a certain fall would kill a real man, or you couldn't heal from dragon bites as fast as you did, this game is for you. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    I really wanted to play this game and love it, the battles at the beginning are ok , and the story is mediocre , after some hours i could not continue. It seems a bad clone of dragon age. This game could have been so much, but it really bored me. If you like dragon age 1, skyrim, kindoms of amalur don't even rent this game.
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    I reviewed this game along time ago and gave it an 8. I am lowering the score to a 7 because the game has been collecting dust and has no replayability. I gave Dark Souls a 10/10 when it first came out, and I still stand by it. Dragon's Dogma is nowhere near the caliber of Demon/Dark Souls. Also the game in reality if you look, it's really short, just when you do a quest they send you allI reviewed this game along time ago and gave it an 8. I am lowering the score to a 7 because the game has been collecting dust and has no replayability. I gave Dark Souls a 10/10 when it first came out, and I still stand by it. Dragon's Dogma is nowhere near the caliber of Demon/Dark Souls. Also the game in reality if you look, it's really short, just when you do a quest they send you all the way to other other side of the map and back, and that's ok sometimes, but EVERY quest is like that in this game.It's just annoying. However on the plus side, I like the pawn system, everyone that knows me knows that I like my games solo, but in this game it just worked. Although I really hate Capcom for being a greedy company I think that atleast they can go somewhere with this franchise. It was the last decent game that Capcom has made. To the people saying that this game is challenging....I fail to see that.. But perhaps that is because I played the Souls series. Anyone who says that this game is harder than Dark Souls, is definatly full of crap. Demon Souls and Dark Souls are the hardest games this generation and Dragons Dogma is a cake walk in comparision. Then again when I played Dark Souls I never had online people fight my bosses for me, because im not a sissy. Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma have got great (and then I mean great) combat, with a hardcore theme. But that is also the best thing of this game; the story, characters and voice acting is horrible. Lip-syncing is non-existing. The graphics are okay. Though I honestly can't give it a higher rating than 6, I think the combat alone makes the game worthy of you buying it.
  5. May 24, 2012
    With the exception of the Pawn System, which is easily the most unique aspect of Dragon's Dogma, there isn't anything in this game that the average RPG fan hasn't seen and done several times before. With that in mind, one can imagine this title would be most fun for an audience that hasn't played a lot of video games before, and who'd be satisfied by completing menial tasks and repeatedlyWith the exception of the Pawn System, which is easily the most unique aspect of Dragon's Dogma, there isn't anything in this game that the average RPG fan hasn't seen and done several times before. With that in mind, one can imagine this title would be most fun for an audience that hasn't played a lot of video games before, and who'd be satisfied by completing menial tasks and repeatedly grinding over low-level goblins, spiders and thieves. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you have played Final Fantasy, Demon's Souls or especially the far better (yet oddly quite similar) Kingdoms of Amalur, you're not going to be blown away by Dragon's Dogma. Both titles are easy to pick up and play, but Amalur's weapons, storyline and combat offer a lot more reward for their mastery. Dragon's Dogma was a day-one purchase for this Capcom enthusiast, but with so many other great titles out there no rush is warranted to pick this one up. Expand
  6. Jun 10, 2012
    The story-line is very poor but what truly shines from this average game is the nice executed combat and interesting setting/world. If you can set yourself with this two stuff , then it'll probably make worth your time .
  7. Aug 28, 2012
    La review completa en http://gameshock.vg/plataformas/xbox360/dragons-dogma-review/

Dragon
  8. Oct 26, 2013
    I enjoyed this game a lot more since they have made some updates to allow for easy mode. Thank goodness as I am terrible at most action games in the first play through and I struggled with his game in my first try. I have played it again since the updates and have enjoyed it a lot more. Its worth a 7 I think. The pawns are a novel idea and the romance is crazy stupid but fun, certainly notI enjoyed this game a lot more since they have made some updates to allow for easy mode. Thank goodness as I am terrible at most action games in the first play through and I struggled with his game in my first try. I have played it again since the updates and have enjoyed it a lot more. Its worth a 7 I think. The pawns are a novel idea and the romance is crazy stupid but fun, certainly not that deep and meaningful but at least adds some interest. It was funny for me as a woman to find quite a lot of the female npcs falling for my female character and even a cut scene of rumpy pumpy!! Even though my character had bonded with a different npc...lol..cringe...blush.#
    The character creator is really good and I do like being able to change hair and make-up throughout the game, that's another reason I will be back to play this game again!
    The running from a to b and back to a again is quite tiresome however as is the 'beyond weird' end but I do think this game is worth a crack!
  9. Sep 5, 2015
    Grand action that feels perilous, adventurous, unpredictable, intense, and fun. The randomness of such a wild open world can be frustrating, as the player is left to make the the right decisions and travel wisely. Some parts of the game can feel underdeveloped or 'stretched thin'. It's not the most polished or compact game, but halfway through the adventure, I feel confident in sayingGrand action that feels perilous, adventurous, unpredictable, intense, and fun. The randomness of such a wild open world can be frustrating, as the player is left to make the the right decisions and travel wisely. Some parts of the game can feel underdeveloped or 'stretched thin'. It's not the most polished or compact game, but halfway through the adventure, I feel confident in saying there are few adventures as action-packed and epic in gaming. Expand
  10. May 2, 2014
    I was diggin' it for a while until I couldn't figure out how to get my main pawn, who was made specifically for the sole purpose of healing my party, to heal my party. After looking it up on the internet and seeing I have to find a healing shrine or some sh*t, I decided to quit. This should be a simple, standard RPG staple, but somehow they made it difficult. It's a shame, too. I wasI was diggin' it for a while until I couldn't figure out how to get my main pawn, who was made specifically for the sole purpose of healing my party, to heal my party. After looking it up on the internet and seeing I have to find a healing shrine or some sh*t, I decided to quit. This should be a simple, standard RPG staple, but somehow they made it difficult. It's a shame, too. I was liking the combat a lot. Maybe I am an idiot or I am giving up too soon, but never has a simple issue like this halt a game for me. Nonetheless, I will give it a 7. Expand
  11. May 28, 2013
    Lets get one thing outta the way, I love both Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma in their own right and for entirely different reasons. Skyrim's immersive universe was enough to get lost in for hours without following the games main plot, the attention to detail nigh on perfect. My only beef with Skyrim was a poor combat systemand of course those wretched bugs. Dragon's Dogma on the other is set inLets get one thing outta the way, I love both Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma in their own right and for entirely different reasons. Skyrim's immersive universe was enough to get lost in for hours without following the games main plot, the attention to detail nigh on perfect. My only beef with Skyrim was a poor combat systemand of course those wretched bugs. Dragon's Dogma on the other is set in a smallish and unremarkable land, with dull as ditchwater sidequests and characters without character, and no particular crafting save an equipment upgrade system, enemies that load in predetermined locations... I shouldve hated DD for its blandness as an rpg but its redeeming feature is its totally awesome combat and magic, and possibly best of all... pawns. Character models are great, the monsters look and feel visceral and epic and the magic system is awesome, nothing feels better than summoning showers of meteors down onto numerous opponents or cracking a whip made of electricity. I could go on but I wont, Dragon's Dogma is fun and something I hope capcom expand upon because it could be so much better with abit more attention to detail. Play it, enjoy it, but beware of certain choices in game that lead to some very unusual yet hilarious consequences... Expand
  12. Feb 7, 2014
    This game is very good in writing.The "Fight giant monsters by climbing on them and attacking their weak points" concept sounds really good and the monster fights are really good, but..... The other key systems suffer, weapons and armor have now stats and are based more on a "Oh look! New equipment! Better upgrade!" mentality. The Class and Skill System are pretty inventive, givingThis game is very good in writing.The "Fight giant monsters by climbing on them and attacking their weak points" concept sounds really good and the monster fights are really good, but..... The other key systems suffer, weapons and armor have now stats and are based more on a "Oh look! New equipment! Better upgrade!" mentality. The Class and Skill System are pretty inventive, giving diversity to combat. Getting around is tedious and lengthy. Overall it is a decent game for fans of the fantasy genre. Expand
  13. Apr 7, 2015
    After 10 Hours of playing I stopped and put it away. The reason I stopped playing was a gamebreaking bug that stopped me from finishing a main quest. There is only one safegame, so I had to restart all over to finish it. This annoyed me beyond believe! Up to this point this game was great!
  14. Jun 18, 2012
    A lot of mainstream press seemed to not have given this game a fair shake. Sure there are comparisons to Dark Souls (but not as difficult, similar asynchronous/social aspects, thoughtful combat and weight to the characters) and Skyrim (open world, questing, exploration, immersion and the technical issues but Dragon's Dogma definitely does dragons better) but this game stands out in theA lot of mainstream press seemed to not have given this game a fair shake. Sure there are comparisons to Dark Souls (but not as difficult, similar asynchronous/social aspects, thoughtful combat and weight to the characters) and Skyrim (open world, questing, exploration, immersion and the technical issues but Dragon's Dogma definitely does dragons better) but this game stands out in the areas of fast fluid combat, deep character customization, and an immersive large world to explore.

Game play
    There are often complaints about grinding and repetitive nature but the core of this game is the game play and if you enjoy good combat, leveling up and gaining new abilities and testing them in battle (or get tired of that class? just change classes anytime you like or even pick a hybrid class), getting new gear and renting new pawns to change up or fix your squad's dynamics then it's probably the best game in years. Or if you just want to climb onto an ogre and have him run off a cliff, jump off just as he goes over the edge that is cool too. The traversal and climbing aspects help in combat against large mini-bosses and you can take them out with a variety of strategies and you can also explore the world with the same traversal. Climbing an abandoned and shore side fortress in the dead of night in a thunderstorm where one slip can be your doom while looking for hidden treasure chests is immersive, dangerous, and very exciting.

Difficulty
    This game doesn't hand hold and doesn't tell you everything you need to know right away in the vein of Dark Souls but it feels a bit more forgiving, no fast travel (but like Dark Souls you can find shortcuts) until way late in the game and an interesting ending given the standard prologue/background story. There are plenty of water-cooler moments that occur as with many open world games but it feels like many of the elements are intentional (I didn't even notice that there are other types of birds besides; seagulls and crows) Without easy fast travel, your adventure into the unknown is actually an adventure you need to be prepared because when night falls things become very dangerous. The joy and relief of overcoming an enemy that was giving you trouble a few levels ago or finding a safe camp to rest at in the middle of the night is a major relief.

Story
    There's some complaints on the story but most people who tend to play these open world games often repeat over and over that they just ignore the main quest and do side quests anyways, but it's true that the story components are a bit sparse and that subjectively appeals to the type of player that prefer more narrative or one that just wants to get into the game.

Pawns
    Forgoing a rather typical tacked on multi-player (you can already play Monster Hunter) the pawn system lets the player experience an immersive undistracted single player experience with a bit of social interaction; you make and share pawns that will serve as guides to the world as they learn in their adventures and can be ranked by others. You mold your own pawn to your liking and see if others have done well in theirs; not doing their job? talking too much? hire a new pawn. There is also the Ur-Dragon which is an end game boss that resides online that players cooperatively work together to bring down with the damage each player deals.

1. Aug 13, 2012
    This adventurer relished Dragon's Dogma's old-school sensibilities, which make it familiar territory that is expected on a PC instead of something from Capcom on the PS3. As players romp across a wide-open world filled with danger, titanic ruins and wonders, they'll realize that it's a rough, rewarding world, though its hardened edges may not be to everyone's cup of tea.
    Neither Monster Hunter nor Dark Souls--but a great combination of the two.
  3. Jul 9, 2012
    The graphics aren't state-of-the-art and the story isn't that well-told. That said, spectacular combat and a wonderful environment to wander around in save Dragon's Dogma from the purgatory of mediocrity.