8.3

1. May 22, 2012
    Huge, open world full of interesting things - check.

Flexible, inventive combat - check.

Challenging, hardcore theme - check.

Fun - check check check check check check check check check check check.

What's not to love?
  2. May 22, 2012
    Please keep in mind i have only owned this game since midnight (8 hours), my mind kept telling me this would be a bad buy but thank god i listened to my gut.. I am personally sick and tired of the review process, sometimes i feel like they didnt even play the game (joystiq) and although this had some good scores there were a few that threw me off and then joystiq, so i was close to cancelling my order. From the moment the game started i noticed how pretty everything was, the graphics have been superb (not perfect) up to this point of my time with dogma. I was a bit shocked at how deeply intricate the details/items/customization was designed, i love the freedom to toggle, change, walk, pick up , craft and just about everything which makes me feel"involved" w/ me hero and the progression of.. Capcom nailed a system which is hard to find in console rpgs, the freedom to do, customize and tinker with just about anything and then some.. I want to feel like im dictating my hero and the path/direction of the game rather than feel like im in the passenger seat with the option to do only certain things, not here. The animations and colors are fantastic, whether its the glow of a spell of the change of day to night, its just how i want it to look, when im getting healed i actually enjoy the glow from my pawn or mate casting it upon me, watching balls of glorious fire from a mages staff, the pounding of shield to sword to distract a foe while i use my triple shot arrows soaked with oil only to throw a concoction of fire directly toward where my arrows land, all this feels and looks so right.. the controls are in fact "dynamic", dont be fooled by hack and slash or the demo, there is so much more to the combat system.. yes it is laid out by way of strong attack and light attack but there is secondary , magic, throwing and or holding a foe (or friend) and everything just works together almost seemlessly, im still very taken aback to the reality of what dragons dogma presents to me, capcom.. i am a huge fan of rpgs and i am not one to hold back how i feel and right now i feel like i wouldve made a huge mistake turning this away, i almost did..

graphics are on point, yes there are some glitches but it is easily overlooked by the force of quality in other areas such as gameplay.. The gameplay and presentation is solid, music is nice (nothing groundbreaking) and the controls feel wonderful, voice acting is very good but im not capable to go in dept about the story, as of now i am hurrying my thoughts to get back to the game. The pawn system is awesome. menu inventory and the interface is super user friendly and simple, you can basically design your hero to look however you lease and its very deep in terms of customization.. How about this, rent the game if you are on the fence, please just give it a chance to go in your system.
    this has been a very refreshing rpg exp so far and im loving every minute of it.. its a game where you get lost in it and you dont want to be found.. Capcom you guys did a heck of a job.. i would give this an 8.5 but i cant, usually i end up leveling it off to the lower half unless the game deserves a bit more than an 8.5.. 9
  3. May 22, 2012
    This game is epic in every sense of the word. HUGE open world,hundreds of deep & fulfilling quests,long complex & at times BRUTAL dungeons,a very deep customisation - in terms of both character creation & clothing/armor/weapons/spells etc. You could easily lose 200-300 hrs here if you search everywhere & do all side quests. Graphically its good but not great, but be honest who plays rpgs for great graphics?? The enemies/bosses & combat are fast , fluid & relentless & quite honestly with just 20hrs played I can happily say the combat in DD is stand out in this genre , only rivalled by the Souls games.

If you're a fan of deep,rich,fantasy worlds then this game is a must buy. I loved Oblivion,Dragon Age,Dark Souls & Skyrim & Dragons Dogma easily stands up with them. Great game!
  4. May 26, 2012
    This is one of best games I have ever played. I just made an account to review this game. I even like it better than Dark Souls which was my favorite western/ japanese hybrid game ever. At first the game is very overwhelming and feels disjointed and I almost wanted to stop playing after playing for about 3-hours and I didn't think it could be better than Dark Souls, but I gave it a few nights and once I got to Gran Soren, I started falling in love with the game. I feel like I'm just at the tip of the iceberg to with this game. If you are on the fence about this game because of the major publication reviews, get it! Trust your gut! I'm glad I trusted mine! Capcom had been dissipointing me lately with its lackluster games, but I'm so glad they have finally proved themselves again as masterful game developers! There's so many cool little things you keep finding out about the game. I have rarely found any bugs or glitches, and if there are they are totally minor, i have the ps3 version...You have to be a total nerd for it to totally ruin the game for you. I kept reading about the framerate and glitches in major reviews, ive barely noticed any, nothing game breaking at all. I've been playing for about 11 hours now. Level 22. The immersion in this game is insane...And i feel like the graphics are amazing. The draw distance is incredible. Usually i hate open world games or games with lots of quests, I only care about the main story, but this game I don't seem to mind. Its just so fun moment to moment...you always want to see whats behind the next corner or over the next hill or whats in that cave, etc!!!!! By this point, there is so many amazing things about this game, such as the combat =10, pawn system = 10 deep customization = 10, immersion =10, graphics = 10, beastiary = 10, controls = 10, that any flaws or annoyances that mar the experience for me can be easily overlooked. The game would have to incredibly **** up down the road to lower my score....even if it did my score would still be at least a 9....but, if its consistent with what I've seen so far, this game is definitely a 10. I mean for Capcom to have no experience making this games and just jump in, wow, its amazing how versatile they are at making games. I love little things like the sliding down ladders in Dark Souls haha theres so many cool little things about this game...I could go on forever. Honestly, I never could get into any Western RPGs, the combat, graphics, or retarded dialogue just threw me off, but this game finally has all that down. This game gives me hope for Resident Evil 6...Perhaps they on a new road, finally getting back to the behemoth game company they used be known as. Collapse
  5. May 23, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game with some faults. The core gameplay, is incredibly fun, addicting and deep. My biggest problem with other games in which combat is a major focus (indeed, most skills and abilities are to increase your effectiveness in battle) however, in most games combat is too EASY and unsubstantial. There is no reason in most games for those skills because you can't lose anyway. Dragon's Dogma combat is awesome, simple as that, and that is the best part of the game.

The pawn system I am continuously impressed with, and I really enjoy tweaking their behaviors, or going on quests where the pawns respond and take charge on their own volition (though some do talk too much).

Quests are varied so far, and enjoyable with enough variety to keep it from getting stale. The story is not THE major focus of the game, however, it is interesting enough to keep things moving. The small technical hiccups are barely noticeable honestly. There IS pop-in. It occurs however, in a "fade-in" type manner, rather than a "pop-in" manner, and it doesn't bother me. There is also some micro-stuttering when fighting large monsters with a lot of magic, but isn't a "problem" in my eyes.

There is tons of variety in skills, equipment, topography that I believe will keep people that give it a chance occupied for a great many hours. I really do think this is an underrated and excellent game, especially for a new IP and I can't wait for the sequel because this is one of the most enjoyable games I've probably ever played.
  6. May 23, 2012
    This is not a review of the game. These are my initial impressions after spending 5 hours with the full game, in an attempt to help people decide whether they will like this game or not.
    I will keep this simple.

The graphics are inconsistent. The open world is beautiful, the lighting is amazing but the character models suffer from low textures and some pixelation. The combat effects are
    great too. Overall I like the graphics and they certainly don't make the game unplayable or ugly.

The animations are amazing and the physics are more than decent. The movement is fluid and the controls are great.

The combat is very satisfying. This game has the best combat I have experienced in an action/rpg game.
    It is arcade enough to be enjoyable but without feeling shalow. The melee fighting has a weight to it and every hit feels like it connects. It is similar to the Souls series but less technical and precise. There is no lock on but this is not a problem. Combined with the physics and animation it is a spectacle to behold.
    There are many moves you can do with each vocation (class) and I don't see it getting stale. You can also swith classes later in the game too.

The story is very simple and rather naive but it really doesn't matter in this game. This game is driven by exploration and questing more than anything.

The night time is amazing. It is very realistic, as everything is actually dark and you need light sources to see a few feet/meters around. Enemies will jump at you if you stray off the road creating a sense of tension and fear.

The sound is decent. It's nothing epic, the likes of Skyrim but it is decent enough. The sound effects are great. Swords and shields clashing, enemies yelling, your pawns shouting.

The pawn system is very clever. Your party consists of yourself (the Arisen), a companion pawn that stays with you permanently and up to two other pawns that you can hire through the rift (summoning area). Your permanent pawn (that you can customize using an extremely detailed editor) is shared between your party and other real life players' games provided you are online. Whenever someone uses your pawn in their games, it gains knowledge and information and can even get back with gifts and a rating of it's contribution. You can do the same with other people's pawns. These pawns don't level up, so you have to change them regularly. Your party will be constantly changing and keep things fresh.

The PS3 version runs great with very few framerate slowdowns (nothing like Skyrim) and absolutely no tearing. There is a pop up issue but it is not gamebreaking.

Overall I highly recomend this game to action/rpg fans. I can see myself spending a lot of time with this.
  7. Jun 22, 2012
    This game is all about high-adventure. I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma and its harrowing action and exploration far more than I did Skyrim or Dragon Age. There is no tedious party management, the AI party is extremely competent but not overpowered, and the way you explore the world of Gransys is satisfying and epic. The game has its problems with lack of polish here and there, and the difficulty gets much easier towards the end of the game, but beating the game left me wanting to play more. I think it gets alot of things right: exploring new areas, running into unexpected threats, and the gripping battles against the larger monsters. I haven't enjoyed traveling through a game world this much since Red Dead Redemption. I hope this game gets a sequel with a ton of new content; the way it integrates a holistic approach of how the player can interact with the game world and its inhabitants is a major milestone in RPG gaming. It was well worth the $60 spent on day one. Expand
  8. May 25, 2012
    The game is fantastic. If you never read a review for it and you picked it up blind and played it you would be saying... Omg I just found an awesome game!

RPGS elements are deep, there are tons of items and unlike Skyrim they are all relevant, no collecting ten forks here. The skill system is deep as well.

The graphics are good, not nearly as good as Skyrim PC, but that is to be
    expected. I don't know what Skyrim looks like on PS3, but all the reviews say it plays like crap on PS3. This game plays great on PS3.

This game has a very cool online component, it is not multiplayer, but you can see when other people are online via their pawns. You can make friends with pawns and rehire them later... The whole idea is very cool and adds a freshness to the game as you progress through it.

The star of this show is combat!
    Omg, I've said it before and I'll say it again - Bethesda only wishes they could make a game with combat this good. It is so good you are going to think you are playing a play former, but it is a real RPG.

The story is there, but you have to activate it. It is deeper than dark souls but less than Skyrim. Skyrim has better voice acting.

Most of the complaints around this game are about camera angles (10 hours in and not one issue or me), NPC dialogue (you can fully adjust their speech or turn it off!), and rough edges (?).

All I can tell you is that if you like RPG's and miss this game then you are missing out on an experience akin to Elder Scrolls + Dark Souls. There are EPIC boss battles all over the place with giants, a ton of loot, crafting, and party management. This game is NOT better than either the Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls, but it does so much right that I cannot understand the hate it has garned from a few review sites.

This is a huge step forward for Japanese RPG's and I only wish that a game like Final Fantasy (which I haven't touched since FF VII, would take note of all the things this game does and implement them.)

If Skyrim had this games combat system and online connection it would be the best game ever made, ever.

If you are looking for a good RPG and are on the fence about this one then commit.
  9. May 25, 2012
    Why is it that western reviewers find that if its a Japanese game,that it must then suck. Just because they aren't leading the game industry does not mean they cannot make a fun game. Personally, i found this game very challenging and down right FUN! the only thing that i would have liked for them to do is to allow at least a 2 player co-op. Now i only monster hunter could get a facelift with the help of this game engine....Anyhow do try this game, it will keep you on for hours. Expand
  10. May 25, 2012
    This game is the best and hardest game I've played since dark souls. The combat is really cool and the story isn't as bad a some say. The game is like a combination of dark souls and oblivion
  11. May 24, 2012
    After playing the first 10 hours all i can say that this is one of the best RPG's of the year. For the people that compared this to Skyrim, i'll say it has nothing to do, it's totally a different game and a different experience. All in this game is mindblowing. A incredible combat, awesome Pawn system, good AI, an huge open world with great sensation of danger, epic combat with giant creatures, a interesting storyline (for the moment)... It promess much hours exploring, battling and discovering the world of Gransys. Buy it without doubt about it. Expand
  12. May 24, 2012
    This game is a good fantasy game. The graphics are great, for example the first time I saw the sun rise on the ocean my jaw dropped. The game does have a challenge to it which is great. You have to learn when to fight and when to flee. I have had many heart pounding moments when I was running for my life. The only thing I don't like about the game is there is no mounts in game you have to walk/run but it is not a game breaker. Also I wish there were hot keys for items. Expand
  13. May 24, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is awesome. A great mix between Monster hunter and skyrim. A great game for Hardcore gamers ! Some website in Europa gave an average score but don't worry it's only because European testers don't understand the addictive gameplay of "monster hunter" games ( they prefer test COD games it's easier for them ^^ )
  14. May 25, 2012
    It feels like Devil May Cry and Elder Scrolls combined, I love the way you can hire pawns from other online players, co-op would have been awesome, graphics are poor, but effects look great and framerate stays in the 60 area, story is not very gripping, quests seem to be diverse so far like your usual rpg, examples, kill so many of this monster, escort this person here, find so many of a certain item. I really like how it is not like skyrim in the way of monster levels, if you go to an area your not ready for you will die or have to run away and if you just feel like boosting on lower lvl enemies that are no challenge you can do that too, combat is amazing best I have ever played for an action rpg, wish you could have more skills than just 3 per weapon, but I suppose it keeps it balanced, all in all it is a must for any action rpg fan Expand
  15. May 25, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is a really fun Action RPG, and I believe it caters to the best of both worlds. The combat is engaging and intense, and is by no means dumbed down or easy (which honestly is a good thing). Presentation wise, the game looks great, and feels alive. Small things like grass and branches blowing against the breeze of the ocean really makes this world rival most other RPG worlds in all of gaming. Sure, the graphics may look a bit lackluster in some areas, other areas more than make up. The AI is surprisingly intelligent, exceeding my expectations for a game, they (your allies, known as pawns) perform their duties smartly and in a timely manner. The framerate may hiccup every now and then (on this version at least) and trees and shrubs may interfere with your combat. The story isn't anything impressive at all, but I don't really demand that in a fantasy RPG game. The resulting game is a really fun game that can appeal to any action and/or RPG fan, and those who like these genres should really at least play this game sometime; it has some features that I believe should now become standard in any RPG game. Expand
  16. May 25, 2012
    Really immersive and atmospheric, particularly at night when it gets really dark so you need your lantern. The combat is solid, firm and satisfying, a far cry from Skyrim's floaty weightless mess. There's a lot of attention to detail, such as your character's clothes getting soaked if you go into water and a the wind really swaying the grass and trees all around you. The pawn system adds a lot to the game and allows you to connect with other players without breaking the illusion of the world and events being real (e.g. you don't get some guy jumping all over the place and "hilariously" hitting NPCs).

There is some slowdown at times, and the voice acting can be pretty poor at times, but the sense of adventure, exploration and truly being part of a living, detailed world all make that seem like an insignificantly small price to pay. There are tons of side quests that all help give the world more depth and variety, as well as the main quests nicely feeding into each other in interesting ways. At one point you're attacked by a gigantic hyrda. After climbing its body and decapitating it, your then told you could take the head to a nearby nobleman as a gift, and he'll honour you in some way. So starts a quest where you escort the hyrda's head on the back of a wagon through dangerous terrain. It feels so much better than "go there and get me that thing" followed by "Good, now go to the other guy who will tell you to go get him something to" which makes up most of the quests in WRPGs.

I really recommend this game if you like atmospheric worlds that you feel like you're really living in, and also want combat to be a well-made part of the game rather than some embarrassingly bad thing that's been tacked on. It's familiar due to it's standard fantasy setting, yet somehow unfamiliar and refreshingly strange feeling thanks to it being a Japanese take on those elements.
  17. May 25, 2012
    Simply awesome. While the difficulty isn't the same sort in dark souls, it does have the brutality and uncanny ability to sense when you are getting to **** and show you the 'Retry' screen. The depth of play and the size of the world are excellent. It is far more open then Kingdoms on Amalur and I enjoy the combat in this game much more. Loot is predominately things that you harvest and gather from the world which you can combine into increasingly useful things. A great balance of difficulty and just a lot of fun to play.

The pawn mechanic initially seemed a bit of an oddity but it is quickly becoming a treat and real interesting mechanic. It is great to see your pawn come back with loot and experience from its time playing with someone else out in the world, and its fun to browse through the rift and see what other people are up to in designing their own pawns. Its neat to follow the progression of particular pawns you have journeyed with to see how they develop and change.

I am having an absolutely great time with this game and heartily recommend it to anyone that likes rpg's...this IP is great and I dearly hope that capcom can grow this with sequels and DLC.
  18. May 24, 2012
    When I played the demo for Dragon's Dogma, I thought there was no way in hell I would buy it, but I did, and it was a great buy! This game is amazing, if you liked Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim, you'll love this game!
  19. May 22, 2012
    Been playing this game all day and as far as gameplay goes its top notch. The pawn system is a nice addition, Combat system is engaging and there are tons to do! Weakest point of the game is definitely the Story but everything else including the Music is great.
  20. May 24, 2012
    This game is incredibly addicting. I was nervous I would hate it, but honestly I am having a blast. The story is lame, but whatever. I see alot of comparisons to Skyrim, but I feel like Dragon's Dogma is more like Kingdoms of Amular really. Only with a heavier focus on combat and realistic graphics. I like the pawn system, it works very well and I actually get excited every time I see an Inn because then I get stuff from my pawn being hired in another game. Unfortunately though, even though it is a 4 party system, there is no multiplayer...which even with the pawn system, still feels like a missed opportunity. Can't someone make a hack and slash as good as Dark Souls/DD and have campaign co-op?! Oh well, I love DD anyway. I hope people buy it, because I think Capcom has placed some great ideas in this game and would love to see a sequel with all they learned from this game. And if I know Capcom, I expect there to be a sequel...already in the works I am sure. Expand
  21. May 26, 2012
    outstanding!
    it's an epic journey in a very beautiful world with lots of creature to kill and lots of thing to do everything is great!
    the pawn system, the combat, the class system and also the difficulty is very challenging and fun!
    if you like action rpg and fantasy worlds this is your game this is an amazing mix between skyrim and dark souls plus lots of original stuff !
    the graphic
    isn't amazing there are some technical problems but a real gamer don't care about this little thing's, a real gamer look at the heart of the game and dragon's dogma is an amazing fantasy adventure! Expand
  22. May 27, 2012
    Simply wonderful. This game has taken all my favorite aspects of games like skyrim and monster hunter and made a compelling new IP. Yes, it has flaws, though far fewer than many "AAA" games I've played that were drawing upon roughly 20x the budget. Its positive points though, are legion. Fluid (and thank-you-god, rarely repetitive) combat, rampant customization, varied locals and monsters. I just love it. I wish more game developers would take chances like this. Expand
  23. May 28, 2012
    Before my purchase I heard this game described as Skyrim crossed with Demon's Souls; I can now say that is quite accurate. The only negatives I've found so far is that saving takes a long time, and the lip syncing is pretty awful. Character classes, and abilities are pretty deep and interesting.
  24. Oct 2, 2012
    People say this world is small? Then I suppose they think 120+ hour Monster Hunter is tiny. Like in Monster Hunter, the map is fairly compact. However, also like Monster Hunter, there's much more area than there seems to be at first. This is because that like Monster Hunter, you can climb up on rocks, ledges, etc. There's a large amount of realistic environmental interaction that many negative reviewers fail to notice.

Look at a game with a huge map: Sacred 2. While the square mileage is bigger in Sacred 2, anyone who's played the game knows that you can't go up steep hills and you can't enter forests, and almost everything is simply a static mesh that you can't interact with. Dragon's Dogma is the opposite kind of open world. In Dragon's Dogma there's less square mileage, but you can go up and over amost anything, interacting with most things.

Look at Skyrim. DD has slightly less square mileage than Skyrim, but it's much closer. However, in Skyrim you can't interact with the landscape at all, and mountains block you all the time. Once in a while you find a mushroom to harvest, but generally you just run around cloned trees and hunt for copy-pasted quests in a copy-pasted world. In Dragon's Dogma, care went into making every scene unique in some way, ala Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. In DD, you can climb many things, you can slide down steep slopes in a special stance to avoid fall damage, you can pick apples from trees, you can harvest plants and search for a diverse array of resources, like in Monster Hunter. You can actually interact with the world, and like in the Souls games, there's hidden stuff everywhere.

The bosses are reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus, where you can grab and climb many of them as they attempt to shake you off. Other features were inspired by Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, such as your ability to sever some appendages from the bosses.

People say the pawns are annoying? I guess people are too used to companions that never say anything and simply act as silent sexy armor holders. The pawns are intelligent. They'll follow you as you climb the steepest rooftops and cliffs, and they can take care of themselves in combat. Normally when you fight outside your level (ie, level 2 fighting a level 8 enemy), game companions eat hits and die immediately. Not in Dragon's Dogma. I'm continually surprised at just how fast and intelligent the pawns are. They'll protect each other, carry each other if one falls in combat, and give you someone to lean on if you sprint for too long and run out of breath. They'll even harvest loot and resources on their own (though you can get them to give it to you, if you want it) They dodge enemy attacks and deal solid damage on their own. You virtually never have to babysit them like you do in similar games. People claim that pawns are marred by the fact that they're temporary, and that's something I was concerned about as well. After playing, however, it's clear that many of the haters never even played the game for the 45 minutes required to get a permanent companion.

Two of your three pawns will be temporary, and one is a permanent companion, but in Skyrim you only get one companion at all! Why are people complaining about this in DD? Plus, in Skyrim your companion is dumb as a bag of rocks and just eats hit after hit until they go down. You need to babysit in Skyrim constantly, to the point that I just had to avoid the companions altogether in that game. Plus, your companion in Skyrim won't protect you or really help you; once combat starts in Skyrim it's "every man for himself", and your companion won't heal you or stay nearby.

Dragon's Dogma companions are much, much better. They keep up, they're smart, and not only do they not require babysitting, but they actually protect you as much as you protect them. They shout out advice, as others said, but I don't think it's annoying for some reason. They offer new ideas for how to handle quests and enemies, and occasionally they offer personal support in emotional quests. Really, after playing rpgs where every npc just exists and speaks at your convenience, Dragon's Dogma's companions are amazing.

I own a gaming pc, and this game actually looks pretty good by comparison. It's rare that I can play a console game and not only tolerate the graphics, but actually enjoy them. Killzone 2 was the last game that managed that, besides Dragon's Dogma.

All in all, an absolutely engrossing rpg with great realism and companions. I also like that Capcom wasn't afraid to stretch the M rating to the limit at times (like with the harpies), unlike some rpgs that are clearly meant for 12 year olds despite the M rating. If you like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, you'll probably love this. If you think Skyrim is the best rpg ever made, you may not like this, or you might change your mind about Skyrim.
  25. May 27, 2012
    We love you, Capcom; let me count the ways: Maximo, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry ... and now -
    another great game, Dragon's Dogma. Yes, there are gorgeous, epic worlds to explore; helpful, insightful pawns; a terrific item and crafting component, etc. ....... but it's the strategic, challenging,
    fireworks combat that distinguishes it and makes it incredibly FUN! Thanks, Capcom, for
    another
    memorable experience.
  26. May 22, 2012
    I love this game! The combat and leveling is the main highlight of DD. The only issues I have are the techicial glitches like popins and framerate but overlooked. The game is lengthy and difficult but that's a good thing in my eyes.
  27. May 28, 2012
    I'm hugely surprised that the critics have rated this game less than 80. I suppose the comparisons to Skyrim are inevitable and while it may lack a little of the polish that Skyrim has it absolutely holds its own in game play and pure enjoyment. The pawn system in itself is enough to keep the hardcore rpg enthusiast interested in that while you're playing a single player rpg you have the feeling that you're playing with your friends. This game flew under the radar a bit but I confess I'm enjoying it even more than I did skyrim and I played in excess of 200 hours with it. Expand
  28. May 26, 2012
    A diamond in the rough! Dragon's Dogma is a well mix of action oriented combat, a unique pawn system and a big beautiful world to explore. Yes, there are some minor flaws in the game that can be overlooked when compared with the overall quality of game play. The world is expansive and the player is rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny. However, the player is also punished for venturing farther off the beaten path to an area that their character may not be a high enough level for. You have to actually think about each quest and gather information to complete them. This is different than other current RPGs that basically put a waypoint on the map. Plus the map is only revealed to the player if you travel throughout the land. Nighttime is especially an issue if you are stuck far from a town because the monsters and enemies become more challenging. Vision is also reduced dramatically which adds suspense since you can not see past what your lantern provides. I think the camera system could of been improved upon because sometimes things will get in the way while in combat. Plus the frame rate drops during heavy combat scenes which spells are cast. I was reluctant to purchase this game at first but its turning out to be one of my better gaming experiences of the year so far. If your on the fence, and you enjoy Skyrim type exploration and Dark Souls combat (minus the heavy difficulty) you will enjoy Dragon's Dogma. Expand
  29. May 30, 2012
    Best two reasons to buy this: Combat is amazing Pawns (AI controlled NPCs which you and other plays create) make you feel like your playing in a PUG in an MMO. They also make this game feel like you aren't alone. This is the game for someone who wanted more control over his/her PUG in WOW with more action style combat (similar to but more advanced than Dark souls). Why this over skyrim? Skyrim is lonely. When you finish playing skyrim, you leave no mark. It's purely your game and that's it. In DD, the pawn that you craft is your link to other players and the mark you leave. Expand
  30. May 29, 2012
    A rough gem.

Dragons Dogma is a strange game, at first glance it seems to be a sub-par low budget fantasy game but give it an hour or two and its true nature is shown.

What you are rewarded to is a huge and detailed open world to explore (Skyrim) , a fun and rewarding skill based combat system ( Demons / Dark Souls ), A very robust and changeable class system and an interesting story
    although poorly written and voiced in parts.

The boss fights which happen at either key story/quest moments or found out in the wild are fun and varied making me think of Monster Hunter or Shadow of the Colossus. Any larger monster can be climbed during combat for distraction and to reach key weak points. Bosses are challenging and very fun to fight with sword bow or even magic. The world you explore is littered with secrets and monsters to find and as day passes (41 minutes real time ) to night you are greeted with poor visibility and often stronger monsters as well as different events and things to find. Finishing on the pawn system, i am sceptical of AI companions at the best of times but the pawns in DD useful and very much needed. Customising your own main pawn then sending it online to be used by other players is rewarding as any information about enemies or quests gathered in other peoples games is brought back to yours along with gifts and items.

Negatives go to the lack of polish on the graphics / performance side of things and for some fairly awful voice acting.

Overall if you enjoy any of the games i have mentioned above or action rpgs in general then its a game well deserving of your time.
  31. May 26, 2012
    The only Action/RPG game that mix a nervous fighting system in a huge open world.
    even if there's technical issues and arguable design decisions, the all mighty feeling of an epic way of life in a huge country still make me Play and have fun... and that's why i think Dragon's Dogma is simply a good game !
    If Capcom would please admit that it's about NINE THOUSAND per cent similar to
    Monster Hunter (not so much, but look at the items icons, even them are monsterhunterized :p)

*Sorry if my sentences were wrong (this one too), that's not my mother tongue.
  32. Jun 5, 2012
    Has quickly become one of my all time favourite games. I can only assume a lot of these reviews are based on ten hours of play which scratches the surface of this game. The ending is up there with Red Dead Redemption and Portal. Very epic and makes me feel that I accomplished a great deal. I am on my second game and still as fun as the start, got my moneys worth and then some. Can't recommend it enough, I made an account just to say that and hope people don't miss out on one of the great games of this generation. Expand
  33. Jun 20, 2012
    this game Dragon's Dogma is very good RPG and best game with SKYRIM !
    if you want play game don't stop play direct !
    and i love this game and any RPG game UK OR USA OR JAPAN RPG GAMES !
  34. May 29, 2012
    Love this game. awesome combat. huge world. tons of exploration, loot, questing. Pawn system is really interesting. Love looking at all the characters everyone made and sending mine out into the wild as well.

The combat is fast and smooth. When the big boys come to play, its awesome and explosive. be prepared for a CHALLENGE. Think about mixing demon's/dark souls with devil may
    cry with skyrim. note that the first two games on the list are NOT known for being easy or forgiving.

Couldn't have asked for much more. I would've asked for another 6mo of polish, but honestly, I love it as is.
  35. May 27, 2012
    I rarely write reviews, Only games that deserve recognition or are extremely underrated, This review unfortunately involves the latter. Keep in mind i haven't finished the game. This industry has been widening its targets to casual more and more each year and i am find this game extremely the opposite of that Like (the far more superior demons souls ) its not afraid of new ideas, the game is huge maybe skyrim huge (a game i enjoyed but feels empty due to its gameplay) this on the other hand flips that it takes a couple of hits to presentation and production value only to show a combat system that elderscrolls would reach on there fifteenth installment.

The story maybe weakish, But the whole package here is literally a rollercoaster some may even feel the game broken at some points due to difficulty spikes. The camera angles can be a pain but for me nothing is more important than a game being rewarding and this is where the game shines you may roam for hours but it all gels together because some item u found some insanely graphic beast u killed and so on, Its just not the kind of game that we have these days and i am sad that some reviews where so harsh on this title and i truly will not take there opinions into consideration its games like these and demons souls that make or break a reviewr for me.

pros:Rewarding, combat, scale,no hand holding (uncharted is great but a 9 year old can finish it) , HUGE but not boring (skyrim being boring,dark souls same level, demon souls being awesome), Pawn system is a breath of fresh air. cons : camera, graphics, voice acting (polish in general ), running around too much, and stupid auto save (just like skyrim)
    this is my email i d love to get to know ppl with the same taste and add em on psn samer.mahran@gmail.com psn rene9aaaade
  36. May 27, 2012
    Wow. As a fan of Skyrim and Demon's/Dark Souls, I've just found the next game to consume 300+ hours of my life. I love the combat, it feels badass, and the world of Gransys is extremely compelling (it gives you that feeling that Skyrim had- 'what awesome thing should i do next?'). What an unbelievably great game, one of the best ever.
  37. May 27, 2012
    I LOVE this game. I really like the graphics, depth, and pawn system. I never though Demons/Dark Souls would be dethroned as most games go the stupid easy as can be route for casuals these days, but this game has many hardcore features as well. The more you learn about the game the better it gets. Such as augments actually staying no matter what class you are. 10/10 for me. I LOVE this game and I'm so glad I bought it.

Hope they're working on Dragon's Dogma 2!
  38. Jun 8, 2012
    After reading several tests of diverse magazines I thought that this game would not be a title worth buying. Anyway, I've tested the demo and started to fall in love with this game. The character creation is very good and intense, you have many selection options. Although the graphics are not top notch the yet seem to fit the game pretty well... I never had a moment were I was disappointed about the graphics, I even like the graphic style and the faces very much.

The companion system is really nice, you can make your "own" companion at the start of the game. You can select how he should look and behave. This companion will follow you trough the game but you can although meet new companions on your travels or you can hire the companions of your psn/xbox friends.

Combat is very intense and feels like the combat from dark soul. Nothing to ask for, especially the combat is a factor in this game which is mind blowing but you need to experience this yourself.

The main story is online a small "waypoint" that you can use to guide you trough the environment, you actually make your own story based on your actions and the quests you solve. The game reminds me of lord of the rings when it comes to design and fact that you can climb on big monsters is very awesome.

This game definitely is worth buying and I will have lots of hours to spent in this game.
  39. May 29, 2012
    This game is my favorite game of the year , for anyone who are searching for a solid RPG mechanic, a light story. This game was build to last!!!!!!!!!! Once your in its already to late :)
  40. Aug 21, 2012
    the best RPG i have ever played...I love you loved Monster Hunter and Dark Souls..you will LOVE this.
    ....ignore the ignorant **** from IGN giving this a 7.5....they had big ass sponsors from terrible games like ''Kindoms of Amalur'' they gave it a 9(!!!) the biggest garbage i ever played.....Dragon''s Dogma is a game you cannot ignore...
  41. May 26, 2012
    Note: I've gave it a 9 (whole numbers), but I think an 8,5 would be a bit more adequate.
    I came to this game expecting a mix between Monster Hunter and Dark Souls with maybe a bit of Shadow of the Colossus thrown in for flavour. The game is not exactly it, but it drew from these sources quite nicely.
    The focus on an unorthodox battle system is the main draw here. You can customize your
    combos and techniques from a huge database of combinations and the pawn recruitment enriches this pool adding depth and strategy. Item management is not a hindrance (specially compared to Witcher 2, which deals with an equally huge amount of weighted items that is a nightmare to manage) and exploration is free and always fruitfully rewarded.
    Graphics are nice (not outstanding), weapons and armor look good in you character and the world has it's vistas.

The downsides aside for a bit of polishing are basically the execution of most other aspects relating to pawns. Even though the "learning AI" is one of the game advertising points, I feel some more direct management of your pawns would be a nice addition -- being able to take direct control, maybe, or even giving some kind of attack order wouldn't hurt. They know how to get out of your way and help in the battle, though, so that'd be a small complain.
    Also no co-op, I shouldn't judge a game for not having something like multiplayer, specially an RPG. But, in this case, some kind of couch co-op would be a very fitting addition.

All in all an imperfect yet very enjoyable game, it's not better than Shadow of the Colossus, Witcher or Dark Souls, but it dares to try something new in the RPG scene and that's commendable.
  42. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How to best describe this game... An adventure rpg, with tight fighting mechanics, and a heavy emphasis on exploration. The story is so so, here let me sum it up. "ONOS there is a dragon!!!!!"
    Cut to the game 10 hours in, tons of quests to do. If your looking for a very engrossing main story consider this a meh game for that. You do little to figure out the actual main plot. But the game does have tons of quests which are fun and rewarding!
    Cut to castle siege
    Goblins have invaded a stronghold and they need to be forcibly removed. Goblins, hobgoblins, and cyclopes oh my. The battle wages on for what seems like an hours (really like an hour and a half) stupid archer dying and not calling out before I start the castle siege. Then when it comes down to the final showdown to take the keep. Armored Cyclopes gets a lucky shot knocks me off the castle wall and I die. Game saved at the encampment 10 min away from the castle... castle unsieged. So... That gives you a glimpse of what you will find. A hard game that don't care about your saves and will keep you entertained for hours. To top that all off I am only level 24 or 25... And I can't even touch ogre's yet... and I am still scared to play in game at night time.
    Had a long night at a church in the woods.
  43. May 27, 2012
    Brilliant RPG. The combat, open world exploration, loot and engaging pawn system are superb. The only negative I can think of is the re-spawning enemies, but even that I'm starting to appreciate as it gives more combat time. Not quite as mind blowing as Skyrim but a very close second. I'd recommend choosing the Strider vocation, the bow is so much fun.
  44. Jun 18, 2012
    After recently getting "into" Japanese games through Dark Souls, I just had to try this out. And I was astonished by the easy-to-approach, deep, engaging and repeatedly entertaining gameplay. A game where choices matter, while not feeling too limiting (especially since NewGame+ allows for trying different paths), and where combat, RPG elements and general game experience were all so much more than I could've hoped for.
    There are hours and hours of fun to be had, be it killing hordes of monsters, or climbing and stabbing at huge beasts - or even just exploring the gorgeous environment.
    A definite must-have for fans of Skyrim, Demon's Soul/Dark Souls and possibly even Shadow of the Colossus!
  45. May 30, 2012
    I've been playing this game for the last couple of days and can say I absolutely love it. The world is massive and interesting to explore , the combat is excellent , and the challenge is just right. It's the kind of game that rewards those who take there time and enjoy the experience.
  46. Jun 13, 2012
    This is easily my favorite game of the last couple years. I'm 80+ hours into my first playthough (do yourself a favor and avoid FAQ's and guides and discover it all on your own!) and still finding new, cool things every time I play. Absolutely awesome combat, cool world to explore, great style, day/night in-game with dynamic lighting, tons of secrets to find (treasures and routes), awesome boss and sub-boss fights, awesome character customization, great vocation (class) system that lets you change up your playstyle as you choose. Best game in a long time, amazing for a first-in-series game! Expand
  47. Jun 10, 2012
    Nice game with a lot of depth, both gameplay and story wise. The world is huge, with almost too much to kill and explore. The world is filled with settlements and caves to discover, making sure you won't get bored. Your companions or "pawns" ads another dimension to the fighting system.
  48. Jun 14, 2012
    I play this game everyday. Just walking around in the gameworld is by itself fun. Its been a very long time i had this kind of satisfaction/fun playing a game. Each battle is very rewarding, though it will be a little tough at earlier levels. Don't give up the game because it is tough... 'It is not a shame to run away from powerful foes' - Dragon's Dogma.
  49. Jun 11, 2012
    Take monster hunter mix in better combat, a huge game world and days of content to eat through and you have this masterpiece. The story is vague but intriguing and pays off very nicely at the ending (which leads to a new game+ mode with additional quests/loot) This game should be the bench mark for rpg combat, do you remember shadow of the colossus? it's that with every monster above a humanoid which is most of the worlds monster population. There are frustrations console controls just never seem to have the precision I'm used to as a PC user and the difficulty tends to dip ridiculously but through all that I'm well on my way to a second new game+ and I still haven't done/seen everything and I'm loving almost every second of it. Expand
  50. Jun 5, 2012
    I loved Skyrim, I have spent more than 400 hours between the PS3 and PC version, but Dragon's Dogma gameplay mechanics are far superior. This statement alone offset all the somewhat negatives points about the game (i.e. menus, graphics and no fast travel). Do yourself a favour and experience it first hand. If you get this game you will contribute to the high possibility that Capcom will do a sequel, where they will address the current shortcomings. Expand
  51. May 31, 2012
    loved it. a bit more action orientated but still has rpg elements and a bit GTA ish. sure its not the best implementation ever but still it has its own style and good atmosphere. graphics - they're good enough. voice - more varied than other games. characters - i've seen worse.

no arrows in my knees.
  52. Jun 5, 2012
    Let's get the obligatory Skyrim comparisons out the way first. I'm a huge Skyrim fan- when it came out I declared it the greatest game of this current generation. Sure, it's glitchy to the point of being oft unplayable, but with a game on such a huge scale it was never going to be as polished as a 5hr game like Modern Warfare! It simply was a great playing experience. Unfortunately for all other RPG's it is now the game to match, or if possible, beat. It set the bar incredibly high and comparisons WILL be inevitable.

So, a few hours into DD how does it compare? I've got to say it compares VERY well indeed, and in many ways actually surpasses it. Skyrim has a better story, soundtrack, and sense of tangible history. It's bigger and everyone bought it on the day it come out, so it became an event- for a good month it was all every gamer was talking about. But... apart from the obvious glitches aside, I was disappointed at how easy dragons were to slay, how small they seemed and how every identikit dungeon was well lit- there was no fear of the unknown. When I imagine stepping into dungeons I think about what's lurking in the shadows beyond my torchlight; having a sustained feel of dread at what lies ahead, and coming across monsters which are so formidable I wonder how on earth it's possible to ever win.

And this is where DD surpasses the mighty Skyrim. Most monsters are a serious challenge. Smaller ones often hunt in packs and take you down, and the big ones are truly epic battles on par with Shadow of the Collolus. Your first encounter with a giant hydra is by and away the most spectacular piece of gaming I have enjoyed so far, and you really feel like you are tackling truly formidable foes (as opposed to taking down dragons with a few hits in Skyrim). It is very easy to die in this game and it truly adds a sense of trepidation to the game.

I must mention the use of lighting in this game- it's incredible! Night time is dark. Really dark. And the dungeons pitch black. You really need a torch, and the sense of the unknown before you as your torch lights up ten foot in front of you is amazing (plus it simply looks amazing). Hearing the groans of the undead before you can see them really adds to the excitement.

And then the piece de resistance: the pawns. Not only are they incredibly helpful, giving you advice they are also very proactive. Sure, a companion in Skyrim will wade into battle for you, and also follow a couple of commands, but here they find hidden objects comment on different places and if they have previous experience of a foe they will advise you how to take it down. They grab hold of smaller foes so you can run in and kill them, they try and distract them so you won't get attacked and best of all you can customize your main one and share him/her with other players online. This is the future of RPG gaming!

Talking of customization- this is the best in any game I have seen. So many other games let you customize faces and clothes, but Saints Row aside, never their physique. If you want to play a 7' fatty you can, or a tiny waif and anything inbetween. Methinks there are going to be some very funny looking pawns online very soon!

Overall the graphics are fantastic. The character models are a tad simplistic, but the environment, lighting and monsters are superb. You really get a feel that you exploring a strange land inhabited by the most fearsome baddies around.

So, back to the comparison: DD has much much better combat, better NPC's, better lighting, much tougher and formidable monsters, a better sense of adventure (no one-hit-and-they're-down frost trolls for example) and an online community with the pawns. It's more akin to a free-roaming Dragon Age and a slightly easier Demon's Souls than Skyrim to be fair. Skyrim is still the one to beat, but Bethesda could learn a lot from DD. If the next Elder Scrolls had the intensity of combat, the atmospheric and realistic lighting and similar pawn system of DD then it would be the greatest game of all time. In the meantime, DD serves to be a worthy adversary and a fantastic game in its own right.

Buy it people. You know you want to!
  53. Jun 4, 2012
    I'm about 90 hours into the game and still haven't beat the game. I mean, I totally could, but there is so much crap to do its out of control. I think to myself "I could go get that magic ring for that guy, or I could go see if that super awesome boss has re-spawned and get some more great loot." I can't say enough good things about this game. It's everything I love.
  54. Jun 5, 2012
    I've not beat DD yet, I'm about 40 hours in, but I must say that DD is the best game I've played in a long time! It's not perfect, but it does everything right that it needs too. the graphics are perfect in my opinion, the combat came straight from DMC, but who cares! In some ways it's better than DMC!! I managed to create the most awesome character every, with the character creation :) he looks like solid snake XD and that my friends is freakin awesome!! The story? Who freakin cares! Most stories suck any way...most. Dragon's dogma is all about being a badazz in a world of mythological beast that want to slay you, and believe me, they will! The difficulty in this game is perfect though, not to easy and not to hard, it's just right :) with a little grinding anything can be over come and the pawn system is awesome, they, your pawns, are always helpful and full of good advice and if you find yourself in a hard spot, just go change your pawns...awesome!!. The customisation of your characters is second to none, from your armor to your weapons, it all looks and feels perfect. The last time I felt this way about a RPG is when I played the final fantasies of old, FF7 and FF8-FF12. It feels new and yet old school all at the same time, with a perfect mixture of exploration and combat, and looting out the whazoo ! DD is a RPG lovers dream come true. If you love RPGs or just gaming in general(Hardcore gaming), you need to play this game! It is not to be missed -_- don't listen to all the punks who didn't even play it and gave it bad reviews :P cuz if they had played it pass the first couple hours, they'd have given it a proper score, no less than 8.5 should be given to this game! I gave it a 9, cuz like I said it's not perfect, but what game really is. :D:D Expand
  55. Jun 20, 2012
    This game is quite fun. It's not without it's flaws (as most games), but the overall package is great...one of my favorite games! For negatives, the story isn't that great, and really doesn't give you that much incentive to carry on. It's not that it's bad, just not as interesting as it could have been given the plot details. They don't really develop characters into people you would care about or grow attached to. Technically, the game world feels quite alive, with wind moving plants and trees and animals and people going about their business, but as other have complained the color palette is rather muted, with PLENTY of browns, dull greens, greys, and an overall "barren" look to the world. On the other hand, it may have been intentionally done that way because the magic and overall "effects" of the game when fighting really pop because they are so colorful, making it that much more noticeable. There is some slowdown, but it's not enough to ruin the game at all, and generally it happens when there's an insane amount of stuff happening.

For positives, the combat is top notch. Skyrim has a great story, in my opinion, but it's combat was floaty, loose, and after a while not very interesting. Amalur had fast paced action, but it was incredibly repetitive and handed to you. The game was so incredibly easy (even on hard mode from the beginning) then at level 20 I was already clearly overpowered and didn't find combat enjoyable. In Dragon's Dogma, I'm level 57 (which took a while to get), and I'm still careful with basic bandits and thieves. You can get wiped out easily if you're not careful, and there are enemies (Dragon's, wights, and others), that will humble you when you die in 10 seconds or less. I like the challenge and feeling that I'm never too powerful.

Overall, Capcom has found a good balance with action in an open world RPG. The quests are fun (although I'll admit there's a lot of "Kill this many of that", though you get the reward as soon as you kill the last of the enemy you needed to). There are some escort quests, but because the combat is so fun and the world is so dangerous (especially at night), it makes the escort aspect fun. All battles are unscripted, so they're always different, and the sense of "epic" battles really does shine in this game. Buy it now and enjoy everything it's got to offer!
  56. May 28, 2012
    After having put in quite a few hours into the game, I must say the combat in this game is very addictive. Your companions' AI is very impressive. Going into a Rift (an area where you can hire other human players' pawns) and checking out other people assistants is pretty cool. Your pawn can be borrowed as well and come back with more info on enemies, quests, areas, etc. It's a very unique, ingenious system really. After you release a Pawn you get to review him/her and leave a comment and perhaps a gift if you choose for the creator of that pawn. Other plays who borrow your pawn can do so as well. Oh and just because someone is using your pawn doesn't mean that yours disappears from your game as you play, they're always with you. It's pretty funny because due to the review system of the pawns you really spend a lot of time trying to get the best stuff for your pawn so that it gets good reviews, haha! The game is also not an easy one. You will die quite a few times so saving is pretty important. The battles are extremely fun though so if you die, it wasn't because of a cheap tactic by the enemy it's because you weren't prepared or you were being a dumbass. I chose my character to be a "Strider" and my pawn is a mage and then I usually recruit two pawn Fighters. It seems to be working. Nothing is more satisfying than standing back, aiming your arrow right into the eye of a Cyclops, temporarily blinding him and then taking that opportunity to climb up on him and start stabbing away! You can also learn new skills and magic as you gain levels but one thing I don't quite understand is why can I only switch magic spells and combat skills at an Inn? In the game your character can only have a limited number of skills and magic spells on them at one time so if you go off to do a quest and find out a skill that you already bought but didn't equip will help you out means you have to travel all the way back to an Inn to get it on there. Doesn't make much sense to me. This also contributes to the game's difficulty, as you progress through a quest or just go out and adventure on your own. The more damage you take the more your max HP goes down so if your quest takes you far away from town you have to make sure you are prepared and leveled up enough. Only resting at Inns can return you back to your max HP. I didn't think I'd like that but I actually do, it's a nice challenge in the game that I really can't complain about; you really have to try it and I think you would then understand what I'm talking about. Night time though, that's where things get interesting. You're only guiding light is your lantern which gives limited visibility and if you forgot to stock up on oil to refill it, you're gonna be in huge trouble. You will be running along and then you hear a growl or a howl and have no idea where it's coming from then a wolf just leaps from the side and attacks is pretty cool and adds a creepiness to the nighttime, when it starts getting dark you really feel a need to rush back to town and if you can't you just are a lot more relieved to see the sunrise. The graphics are great, that is they're great when it comes to the environments and the giant creatures that you battle. A lot of work when into creating this huge world (not as big as Skyrim though but it holds its own and as far as I can tell there is no fast travel). The characters that you meet and control throughout though are fairly generic, there's no real personality in these people and not even in the people you control.

I was a little hesitant going into this game as it is a whole new series. It's not as detailed as Skyrim but it holds its own. I highly recommend this game to anyone who loves a game with fun gameplay. Honestly, I have no idea what's going on in the story but the game sure is fun as hell to play. I haven't finished the game yet and am hoping I'm still far away from being done but I have heard the game can be finished in 35 hours which if true, is pretty short for this kind of RPG.
  57. May 29, 2012
    Hey Guys, how's it going?
    I gave skyrim a 10 and I am just trying to be fair giving dragons dogma a 10,why?
    well,so far I played the game 40 hours,and it's already better than skryim.
    Dont believe the hype,or the fanboys,decided for yourself.
  58. May 30, 2012
    Wow, wasen't sure what I was gonna think about this game. Tried the demo and wasen't completely sold. Picked it up on a whim and some Luke warm first reviews. After dropping nearly 50hrs into it so far, something I haven't really done in years, I can safely say I am hooked. Sure the pawns could be a little more intelligent in picking which skills to use and when. I am in love with the sense of adventure this game provides. Although I don't necessarily aggree with all the claims of punishing difficulty, such as the kind found in demon souls. This game definatly dosen't hand hold. It's challenging without being frustrating. It's a great mix of many games, demon souls, monster hunter. Slaying these giant beasts and just exploring the game world are truly fun. If you like single player rpg's, at the very least give this one a rental. Expand
  59. May 31, 2012
    It might be annoying backtracking through the landscape and fustrating for dumb pawns who repeat the same thing.But sheer joy of playing drangons dogma is great.The boss fights are spectacular and one of the best i seen.It is a great game.
  60. Jun 6, 2012
    When I installed the game and came to the main menu I thought this was going to be the most awful game set in a fantasy world ever. I mean what were they thinking when they chose that laughable 80â
  61. Jun 10, 2012
    Game of the year right here, it has it all, amazing combat, godly graphics, great OST(when there is music, much of the game is silent).
    And it's long about 40-60h depending on how much side quests you do etc, the story might not be the best ever but it does the job, the cinematic in game clips are the some of the best ever, specially when you consider the customizable characters you can
    make from scratch. Expand
  62. Jun 9, 2012
    Two words! Dragon's Dogma. Not Dark Souls. Not Skyrim. DD stands alone as truly, a masterful rpg. So much negative is said about the story. The story begins (and ends) with epic cutscene[s]. The "true" ending can leave some people scratching their heads, but I for one loved it. Some of the in game cutscenes are awkward, having little to zilch to do with the story. The game would be just as good without it, but I still commend them for incorporating it just to have that change of pace rather than none at all. Then it hands it over to us as the "role-player" to fill in the gap...create our own story. Brilliant! Isn't that what role-playing is? Graphics...amazing. Certainly true when it comes to epic boss battles. Key word EPIC! Non-stop, fluid, fun combat. Ranks near the top, if not the top, combat of any rpg or any great action game, which certainly says alot for an rpg. As beautiful and enrossing Skyrim's atmosphere was, DD's combat is just that. I've played this on the PS3, and trust me, the slowdowns when it comes to big battles, actually works to its advantage. A beautiful flaw just like Cindy Crawford's mole. Bad analogy? Who does not recall an epic, action-adventure movie in which a scene was not slowed down to dramatize the experience...braveheat, gladiator, lotr, etc. I'm glad to see that the people who have invested hours into this game actually are the ones who truly appreciate it for what it is...a classic. Possibly a cult classic. Just like any great love, give it a little time and patience, and it'll be worth it. 100+ hour into this game and I'm still enjoying the ride. No fast-traveling?!...give me a break... I can now fast travel to 8 different locations...possibly more...anytime i like, but I won't spoil it. It just takes some time and patience is all. This game has Soul!! A beautiful, subtle, satisfying soul. Not really a perfect 10, but damn near there for all its boldness, its epicness, it's mystic, it's Cindy Crawford's beauty flaw. Here's to a sequel, or prequel...Dragon's Philosophy, Dragon's Religion, Dragon's Mayan 2012 Doomsday anyone? 9.1 !!!!!! Expand
  63. Jun 12, 2012
    Great game. I've played through Oblivion, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and parts of Skyrim (combat in Skyrim is sub par). Some critics seems to have a field day trolling this game, but from first hand experience I can tell you that this game is awesome. The combat is AMAZING, deep, and highly enjoyable. I rarely get frustrated with my team of pawns. As the pawns are what the critics seemed to be annoyed with the most, before you start turn voices down slightly and disable "Pawn Captions". It should be obvious by the positive user score that you should buy this game :) GO GET IT! Expand
  64. Jun 14, 2012
    A total breath of fresh air compared to many other RPGs, the unique pawn system lends well to teamwork while the boss battles with enormous monsters are spectacular top this off with freeroam exploration and a fantastic customisable combat system and you have a thoroughly enjoyable mix of action and roleplaying elements making this a great buy.
  65. Jun 17, 2012
    If your looking for a visually stunning game, then stop reading now. This game has just about everything you could want from an RPG but the graphics do leave something to be desired. However with this in mind it does not stop you from having an insane amount of fun whilst you spend many an hour battling your way through Gransys. The combat animations and large monster textures are one of the games strong points with you sending your character onto a Manticore's rear and hacking the snake head off! The storyline isn't as captivating as it might first seem but the side quests do a great job of supporting the game and adding a real sense of adventure to your game world. Adventure is a key word as when the game starts out you can find yourself out of your depth facing enemies that you have no chance against. This along with the possibility of just stumbling onto a Cyclops or Ogre just adds to the sense of adventure.

With no multiplayer some of you may be concerned about the longevity of the game but Capcom has done a great job by adding a simple,effective and community based "pawn" system. This allows you to create 1 companion that travels with you throughout the game and recruit a total of 2 more from the "rift". If played online than these additional pawns can be real players other in game pawns. This creates a real sense of pride in your A.I. companion, ensuring they have the right equipment, abilities and look the part so fellow players might recruit them into their party's. With a simple reward/feedback system this adds a real sense of community to the game.

The class or or job system is simple and can be varied in many ways. If you decide to switch class half way through the game you can, providing you have the right equipment and enough "discipline" points to do so.

In summary this game gives you an open intriguing world with a solid combat and class system. Combined with the "pawn" community and huge potential for future content/co-op play this game will probably be the best RPG you will play this year.
  66. Jun 18, 2012
    A lot of mainstream press seemed to not have given this game a fair shake. Sure there are comparisons to Dark Souls (but not as difficult, similar asynchronous/social aspects, thoughtful combat and weight to the characters) and Skyrim (open world, questing, exploration, immersion and the technical issues but Dragon's Dogma definitely does dragons better) but this game stands out in the areas of fast fluid combat, deep character customization, and an immersive large world to explore.

Game play
    There are often complaints about grinding and repetitive nature but the core of this game is the game play and if you enjoy good combat, leveling up and gaining new abilities and testing them in battle (or get tired of that class? just change classes anytime you like or even pick a hybrid class), getting new gear and renting new pawns to change up or fix your squad's dynamics then it's probably the best game in years. Or if you just want to climb onto an ogre and have him run off a cliff, jump off just as he goes over the edge that is cool too. The traversal and climbing aspects help in combat against large mini-bosses and you can take them out with a variety of strategies and you can also explore the world with the same traversal. Climbing an abandoned and shore side fortress in the dead of night in a thunderstorm where one slip can be your doom while looking for hidden treasure chests is immersive, dangerous, and very exciting.

Difficulty
    This game doesn't hand hold and doesn't tell you everything you need to know right away in the vein of Dark Souls but it feels a bit more forgiving, no fast travel (but like Dark Souls you can find shortcuts) until way late in the game and an interesting ending given the standard prologue/background story. There are plenty of water-cooler moments that occur as with many open world games but it feels like many of the elements are intentional (I didn't even notice that there are other types of birds besides; seagulls and crows) Without easy fast travel, your adventure into the unknown is actually an adventure you need to be prepared because when night falls things become very dangerous. The joy and relief of overcoming an enemy that was giving you trouble a few levels ago or finding a safe camp to rest at in the middle of the night is a major relief.

Story
    There's some complaints on the story but most people who tend to play these open world games often repeat over and over that they just ignore the main quest and do side quests anyways, but it's true that the story components are a bit sparse and that subjectively appeals to the type of player that prefer more narrative or one that just wants to get into the game.

Pawns
    Forgoing a rather typical tacked on multi-player (you can already play Monster Hunter) the pawn system lets the player experience an immersive undistracted single player experience with a bit of social interaction; you make and share pawns that will serve as guides to the world as they learn in their adventures and can be ranked by others. You mold your own pawn to your liking and see if others have done well in theirs; not doing their job? talking too much? hire a new pawn. There is also the Ur-Dragon which is an end game boss that resides online that players cooperatively work together to bring down with the damage each player deals.
  67. Jul 9, 2012
    This is the best game I have played in years it is superb. The fact that there is a huge open world for you to explore that is harsh and unforgiving yet completely rewarding. The fear and tension of wandering the world at night I have never seen in any other game. The fact that you can fight monsters that can kill you in a instant if you don't keep your wits about you is brilliant.

This
    is not an easy game but it is a lot better for it. The feeling when you slay your first Ogre is tremendous and the delight of getting back safe from a night excursion never subsides. The skill progression is brilliant it took me a bit to get used to but I honestly believe it is the best system I have ever encountered. I cannot recommend this game highly enough it is absolutely fantastic. Expand
  68. Jul 26, 2012
    I don't want to go into to much tedious detail, but the bottom line is, GET THIS GAME. on my life, you will not regret it. Yes, pop in occur regularly, towns don't feel as vibrant as towns in KoA or Skyrim (sorry to compare) and some characters looks like a good PS2 game. But all of that aside, this game is a true wonder. The visuals on the world, armour weapons on buildings is better than any game i've seen in the past two years. The monsters don't feel like a block on your screen, that you hack and slash a until it falls, and night times don't feel like a stroll in the park. The creatures that you fight all have a different feel to them for example you will be fighting a weak goblin that you can destroy in a matter of seconds with a good fire spell, then next you will be attacking a magical Cyclops that has a volly of different weak points that forces you to scale the repulsive beast and hack at its monstrous eye. Night time in this game is also another part of the world that sets it apart from any of other game in the RPG category, you cannot see, anything. you will be walking through the woods with your terrible (but a good terrible) lantern that only shines a couple of metres in circumference and not be able to see anything outside of that circle, no use giving lanterns to your pawns, because that only seems to light up their body, but that aside, your heart starts to race just that little bit more, as your stumble across a posse of sorcerers, that on my first encounter, destroyed me, but this isn't a bad thing, because it raises your fear factor and nearly makes you take a different route, or equip well before you venture out into the night. All in all, this is one of the best games I have played in years, with so many different aspects, the towns feel safe, and the wilderness feels vibrant and dangerous, if you are a fan of dark souls, demon souls, KoA, monster hunter, Oblivion, Skryrim or any western RPG, BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  69. Aug 14, 2012
    After spending 30+ hours in the world of Dragon's Dogma I can honestly say I have yet to experience a game quite like it. It blends the intense action that Capcom always provides with a solid RPG experience. Fairly basic quest lines with the occasional "wow" factor on your way to complete them. These random encounters are often huge bosses with different strategies to each, and they always reward with heaps of experience and loot. The class system is so in depth and accessible that anyone can work with it. Even so, it's possible to make very deep and rewarding class combinations for different roles. The pawn system in itself if quite gimmicky, but is definitely a fun and cool feature to add a sense of community in game, to a otherwise single player experience. I had to take a point off for the lack of good travel options and constant backtracking. Nothing like spending hours just running down a dirt road! Still it's a must play for RPG lovers and Action gamers alike. Try it out! Expand
  70. Aug 15, 2012
    A great game overall, An intriguing selection of character builds (personal favorite ranger), for many different kinds of play, although Capcom's on disk DLC had me raging (they aren't necessary to the game at all) it was really the only set back..
    Some will argue the graphics aren't as good as the could be, but graphic aren't what makes a game great, I put at least 90 hours into this
    game, and the online community is great..
    The pawn system is a lot of fun, but a little broken, if it were a little better I would have given this game a 10..
    I must buy for anyone who enjoys an RPG with a challenge..
  71. Sep 29, 2012
    Nothing beats a fight with an angry group of goblins and a huge, ferocious dragon in the middle of the forest, lit only by your lamp and the fire of the dragon. In fact, the best word to describe this game is epic. The quests feel like real adventures - trekking through the world to reach your goal and fighting your way to safety before darkness falls. Even the characters and story have a bit more about them than several RPGs - a bit mad, but thoroughly entertaining. Easily one of my favourite games ever. If you like RPGs, you have to try it. Expand
  72. Mar 2, 2013
    Been playing games for over 20 YEARS and this one really stands out. The industry has changed the focus has shifted towards style mass appeal over substance. Comparing this to Elder Scrolls is nonsense, in that game you look at buildings, in this one you climb them. In that game you push an attack button, this game plays like Devil May Cry 3. Way more depth, customization dynamic gameplay in a more focused package.

FE: Choose to start as a Strider Character class which uses twin daggers for fighting, unlock the skills then move up to a Ranger, then finally an Assasin. Take the skills you learned from the first two classes pick your favorites plus your new class abilities map 6 of them to triangle, square circle button. Choose a set of abilities that are always active from all the classes you've spent time leveling then add equipment into the mix.

Equipment has aspects like knockdown resistance which aid a spell caster that has to stand in place to summon a spell. Pick up materials from fallen enemies or from collecting plants or mining rocks to level up your equipment, all of which looks different show on your characters.

If you're into designing avatars you get to do this twice in this game. Height, weight etc all of which actually determine how much you can carry or how fast your stamina regenerates which plays into which type of character class you want your character to end up being. Consider a giant heavy wizard for a team mate OR play as a lean tall archer.

FIGHTING SYSTEM: Climb up the back of a cyclops and start hitting his helmet. If you have someone with fire spells you can have them set the helmet on fire which will make the cyclops take off his helmet so you don't have to break through it. Then hope that him swinging a big mace around as he gets angry doesn't knock you or one of your team off the bridge down to their death. Do this all at night, while in the distance goblins are hurling explosives at you.

Or climb up a creepy abandoned tower have a harpy lift you off the ground forcing you to do a quick time event to get free but take too long maybe you'll be over the edge already when you're let go you'll fall to your death, unless you're a wizard which can levitate or maybe a mystic knight that can do basically an air dash ala Dante in DMC.

See the treasure chest across the really big gap, use your triple jump as magical archer no problem. Tuck and roll, double jump, block, parry, hit enemies into the air, become invisible, it's like Ninja Gaiden when you're an assassin.

Don't want your lantern to get soaked basically make the room pitch black? Cast a pillar of ice as a wizard and use it as a stepping stone to cross the river.

Pacing can make the game seem bland if you follow the developers original plan. It'll depend on if you're experiencing the more challenging areas& enemies early on or didn't mind playing through to get to those points naturally. This will determine your impression. I'd say playing a mix of exploring outside the story moving forward together has made my impression positive because I know what's ahead that I'm looking forward to playing. Top this all of is a new game plus mode, extra post game quests dungeons.

This game takes Capcom's history, skills learned making different games puts it all into one really impressive feat. It's got some resident evil 4, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, platforming, rpg elements.

Top notch game if you're looking for game play with depth. Not as artistically impressive as Elder Scrolls but no slouch either. Not an overly large world map either but the fun is in the variety here. Making a new team choosing a different body type character class actually leads to an entirely different experience while playing. New Game Plus mode just add to replay value but not sure if it's harder at all. That would be awesome if it was the second time around.
  73. Jun 4, 2012
    I haven't been addicted to a game like this since i was in school. i feel like an excited kid again. its FANTASTIC. one WARNING, the graphics are terrible. get over that trivial fact however and this is the best darn game i have played in a LONG time. there is no online play as such but that doesn't matter because i think that what they have done with the network features on this game are too GENIUS!. I could put it into words but wouldn't do it justice, i think its just best that every one buy this game and find out for them selfs. CAPCOM I SALUTE YOU. Expand
  74. Jun 4, 2012
    This is a under looked sleeper hit that needs to be put on display. Thats what I am trying to do with this reveiw. This definitly a great game. Its a blend of Demon souls, with dragon age companionship, and kingdoms of amular. Sure the cut scenes are generic but easily overlooked to the great open end world and open variety of gameplay. Just pick up and play the game, you wont be dissappointed. At the end of the day a game most be fun to play and this one is. Expand
  75. dpc
    May 30, 2012
    As a relative new comer to RPGs (started with Oblivion), DD is a very good game. The start is admittedly slow, but once I got to the capital city, the game picks up immensely. Pros are the combat (very satisfying and fun), the graphics, fun quests and the world itself is immersive. Cons are the somewhat clunky menu system (checking out the map shouldn't be a chore) and the extremely repetitive comments you'll hear can get lame. But overall, an excellent adventure that is the perfect antidote to coming off of over 100 hundreds in Skyrim. And don't try to compare the two - enjoy them both as different takes on a similar theme. I'm lovin' it! Expand
  76. Feb 23, 2013
    An absolute must-have for every Gothic-esque games fan out there. Amazing combat (never before have I seen greatswords done so good), good and positively surprising story, an abundance of gear and equipment and the pawn system makes this game a hidden gem. This is a REAL 60h minimum role playing game and you can't find many of those nowadays. Just like years before with Nier, the japanese has once more proven that they CAN into RPG's and they're better at it than western companies(I'm looking at you, you abominable wretch Dragon Age 2).
    The biggest flaw of the game is horrible FPS at most times but it can be forgiven after you're "pulled in" by the game.
  77. Jul 21, 2012
    Developers definitely have something in common with Demons/Dark Souls team, they used same menu sounds, similar graphics, save screens and save method. This is a very well developed game with a consistent story, almost every action has a consequence in this game. I think other countries should learn with Japanese fellows considering the currently lack of imagination in the industry. This is not a flawless game, it has sound problems during combat and some CG animations are weird and clumsy but the game is very innovative and surprisingly complex. The Pawn system is genius and the option to capture and publish any ingame screen is something that PS3 players always dreamed. If you consider Dragon's Dogma as a cult game instead of another blockbuster game you'll be very surprised. Expand
  78. Jun 10, 2012
    What a great surprise! I confess I was pretty interested since the awesome demo. Dragon's Dogma is a fun, challenging, old school, gorgeous tale and an adventure all RPG fans should take. In my honest opinion? 100 times better than Skyrim, with its humble, almost in the shadows, hype. The Pawn System is a great addition to the genre and it's a blast to customize your avatar as well as to "hire" other player's. This game is Skyrim meets Demon's Souls meets Shadow of the Colossus (yes!). It's a hidden gem that SHOULD NOT BE MISSED. Overwhelmingly big world with countless hours of fun to be had! Expand
  79. Jun 23, 2012
    First of all, i have to say i had high hopes for Dragon Dogma after seeing many gameplay videos and developer interviews, but Capcom really surprised me when i got the game and started playing .. it really exceeded my high expectations and blew me away, it's hard to describe what's so great about this game, one has to experience it hands-on to fully appreciate it, but i will try my best to share my experience and review the game avoiding spoilers as much as i can.

You start by playing some tutorial level with some pre-made character called Savan in which you will be introduced to all the basic game mechanics and concepts, i didn't understand why they made you play with a per-made character for the tutorial but it all made sense later, it is a very impressive way of making a tutorial level that also will factor in the story later on.

You create your character with the character editor (a robust one), also worth noting is that your character's gender, weight and size all affect the gameplay in various surprising ways), then start the game, it starts slow but ramps up and all sorts of avenues open up once you reach the main capital of the game world, it also does a great job of introducing the game systems bit by bit so they don't overwhelm the player and without too much hand-holding, the pawn system specifically is just brilliant, imagine the message system from Demon's Souls/Dark Souls but instead those massages are now living breathing (and talkative) in-game characters you can create, hire and lend yours to other players, characters who not only fight by your side as your adventuring party/buddies put also give you useful tips regarding the game world, combat and quests, all depending on what experiences they had in their original worlds, just after you reach some camp in the early part of the game you get to create you own main pawn (you can have only one personal pawn) like you created your character and give them a job and a voice (pick well as you will be hearing it a lot, surprisingly despite selecting a voice for your main character too they don't speak at all, your pawn does all the talking here XD), not only can you lend and borrow pawns to/from other players, but when you switch pawns or send them back you can rate them and send them off with gifts to their original owners if you liked their look and/or performance, and a greetings message too if you feel like it, you can also fav your most liked pawns and re-hire them later or search for specific traits or combinations of skills through the pawns home called "The Rift", an AI tweaking option would have been a welcome addition (like FF12 gambits), still .. the AI in the game is pretty damn good as it is and you can alter the AI of your main pawn through talking sessions in any inn or with magical potions XD

Then we come to the meat of the game, the big monsters that fill the world of Gransys, and damn it, those are the most impressive thing about the game, Capcom outdid themselves with some of the most fearsome and amazing looking beasts, yeah they are all based on Greek mythology and not original monsters (with few exceptions) but never have they been this amazing looking nor amazingly animated, the real catch here is that you can interact with those beasts in very interesting ways, you can climb their bodies, cling to them and stab or pummel them in their weak-points while they try to catch you or shake you off, and each of the monsters has multiple body parts, multiple weak points and health-bars, and they don't go down easily, you will just feel amazing taking them down, and await to repeat those encounters over and over, even small monsters are so much fun to fight (and dangerous in large numbers, bandits can be a pain in the ass early on), also the game gives you a very wide repertoire of moves, attacks and support skills to play around with, and each job feels and plays very differently from the other ones, there are shared skills and gear between jobs but each one still has its own unique perks and play style and they all feel great.

Then there is the story, while the presentation is kinda dry bones and the cut-scenes with dialog are too simple, the story has its share of interesting twists and interactive moments that feel fantastic and cinematic near the end of the game when things really spin out of control and in unexpected ways, besides .. in DD you can do some crazy cinematic things in game that rarely other games allow you to.

Finally i have to say Dragon's Dogma is a game that takes some of the most interesting concepts from a variety of games mixes them together and adds to them their own ideas and in the end creates a fantastic experience that feels so immersing and thrilling, it isn't without its flaws but you will forget about those flaws once you start getting into the world of Gransys and realize how hard it is to put down the controller once you start playing this fantastic game.
  80. Jun 26, 2012
    It's 3rd game in my game top after 2nd and 1st Fallouts(at the 1st and second places :) ).
    Pros: Best game of this century! Huge world, awesome pawn system, awesome gigantic monsters.
    Cons: Boring DLC's.
  81. Jun 13, 2012
    I am now 40+ hours in and decided to come here ant tell people to PLAY THIS GAME. If you are fond of RPG's, this is a monster hit. I would say the story is only decent but has some welcome twists here and there and some cut scenes do not look as amazing as they could in terms of graphics but let's get to the good stuff. The gameplay is AMAZING, there are hundreds of different moves your character can perform depending on the class you decide to choose, the battles are EPIC, yes I used the word EPIC because I enjoyed them very much, you get to fight Griffins, Hydras, Chimera and other amazing monsters.
    The thing that makes this game so good is the PAWN PARTY system, this is welcome and amazing feature that I personally had not seen in gaming before and it reward you very often as someone uses your pawn and plays with him, the longer they use your pawn the more points, money and items you get.
    Thousands of different items, armor pieces and plants and very good STORING system that works very well, think of it as a bank where you can deposit items that make you over encumbered and there are many of them so you can deposit or retrieve your hard earned rewards.
    200 level cap to top it off for the most dedicated players spread of in NG+ options. All in all this is a must buy if you like RPG's. I assure you will not be disappointed, give a try, level up and little by little you will see how rewarding it is and how awesome a boss fight can be.
  82. Zyn
    Jun 3, 2012
    If you're still on the fence about this game and so you're here to see what people think about it, just check those who gave this game a negative score. Most of them simply don't know the game. Maybe they should stick to shooters or casual games. Now this my take. For the graphics, the textures aren't too good up close, maybe due to the hardware limitations (I'm playing on Xbox 360). But most of the time, it's really forgivable. Character models are great especially since you can customize not just the face, but also the arms, torso, the legs, the gait, height and weight. That's really not common in RPG's. And not only these things are aesthetic, they also affect gameplay. You can design your characters to look pretty much about 80% of how you want them to look like here. There are also lots of equipment you can dress them up with. Effects are really nice and these not limited to just spells. Status effects also look great here. I once entered a cave behind a water falls, and I was surprised to see that my party got soaked in water. And again, not just for aesthetics. Being wet made us less vulnerable to fire. Environment lighting is also great. Day/night cycle isn't also for visuals. At night, the game turns into somewhat a medieval Resident Evil with the undead suddenly getting out of the ground below your feet. Most monsters become more aggressive at night too. Nighttime is actually more dangerous here so especially in the early stages of the game, you'll be forced to stay inside the city walls at night, and wait till morning to venture out for quests. Combat feels great -- fast, and really intense. Unlike in other games like Skyrim, you don't hack or shoot giant opponents at the shin. You can't do that if it were real right? In Dogma, you can scale large monsters, hack their head, neck, back, arms to disarm them, you can shoot a cyclops' eye, burn flying monsters' wings to make them fall.. these things are possible in Dragon's Dogma and not in others. There's also the pawn system which have already been detailed by others. It's basically you create your own NPC sidekick and then share them with others. Your party of 4 is composed of you, your main pawn, and 2 pawns by other players. The main pawn levels with the player, the support pawns don't but they get to learn about the quests, world, and beasts that the party encounters. Pawn behavior and speech can be tweaked by its owner. This system I think is better in some ways than a full multiplayer. Pawns are loyal and helpful, and not selfish as other players. EXP is gained fairly by the whole party, so you can play support and not worry about not getting the EXP. There are 3 basic classes, the usual Fighter, Mage, and Strider(Rouge/Archer type), then 3 other classes with stronger offense but forgoes defense, and 3 more classes which are hybrids. You can switch classes anytime in towns.Crafting here ain't as complex as others, but most (if not all) items you can pick up has a use. Some may not seem so at first, but you can combine them with others. Like for example, a fish. When you first pick it up, it's fresh. After a while, it becomes sour which also modifies some of it's effects. A few more hours, it becomes rotten. If you don't want it to spoil, you can place it in a container. Controls are also above average. One of the things which I find a bit lacking is the world. Yes, it's open and you can go pretty much anywhere you want, but there really isn't much anywhere to go to. There is only one big city, and one small village. Most of the other places are forts, dungeons, plains, a huge inaccessible body of water, and tons of unclimbable mountains. The first time you check on the map, it may appear as huge as Skyrim's, but once you get to explore more you'll see that most of it is inaccessible. I think it would be more fun if the world was more lively with more cities, with NPC's in their routines. In Dragon's Dogma's map, only about 5% is civilization, 50% is hostile zones, and the other 45% is a no-walk zone. The design of the world is justified by the lore. It is set in Gransys, I don't know if it's the name of the whole world or just the continent it's set in. A dragon and an Arisen, who's destiny is to battle each other, appears once after some generation, which have then damaged the land greatly. I think this must be why progress must be difficult in this world. The story, which I won't spoil here, is cliche which is really the weakest point of the game. But it's fairly enough to keep you going. DD presents major plot points with cutscenes, something you don't get in most open-world RPG's like Bethesdas'. Overall, it's a great game with flaws. I'd give it a 10 for the fun, but 9 overall for the faults. Expand
  83. Jun 13, 2012
    Great game, my friends bugged me to get Skyrim saying it would be incredible and hated the combat but loved this game great combat alot better than other games, really enjoyed it.
  84. Jul 28, 2012
    Хорошая игра, отличное начало для будущего сериала. В игре интересный мир в котором хочется искать приключений. Интересные и сложные схватки с врагами и наверное одни из лучших бои с боссами в этом жанре. из минусов средняя графика, и слабо проработанная вселенная. Верю в светлое будующие Expand
  85. Nov 14, 2012
    Great game one of the finest in 2012 however the way people talk is annoying but this is a gripping adventure reminiscent of dark souls. defiantly worth it
  86. Nov 15, 2012
    An overall good RPG. The story was ok, the surroundings were good, the battle system was very nice, and the party system used was really good. Had an old school feel of something like Tales of Symphonia. Compared to most RPG's made lately it is worth the buy. But there could have been more selection of enemies to battle, that is my only negative for the game. Oh and for those of you who know your anime, there are some nice Berserk references and items in the game. Expand
  87. Jan 1, 2013
    Hard mode finally revealed game design features that never have been ever noticed before. Game became much more deeper and detailed. One of the best games i played last year. Another one is Dark Souls =)
  88. Sep 17, 2013
    I would love this game on the PC for two reasons. 1) the ability to zoom out and 2) graphical improvements. Other than that, DD is a very good game. It's not easy and takes serious strategy to play. It is also huge with tons to see. Sad part is there is no fast travel so journeys from one place to the next take time. This is good and bad. When it gets dark, bad things come out. If you set out to say a castle way in the distance, if night falls you're in trouble. This sense of danger and urgency are unparalleled in any game I've played before. Combat is fast and action packed. It can be erratic with no sticky targeting system. Again, a good and bad thing. The UI isn't the best. It's poorly impletemented with multiple menus. I wish this could be patched. Exploration is excellent and the landscape varied. Not quite Skyrim but impressive all the same. Strangely, I'm enjoying DD more than Skyrim. Story and quests are standard stuff. Been done in every RPG since time began. The Pawn system is a standout feature and something I haven't seen before. Thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of the game. As a video game, DD is well worth investing in. It isn't a hand holding affair and I found myself in the dark for the first few hours. Give it time and it gets better and better. It really could have been a true great of the modern generation. It falls short because of minor technical issues. Watch videos and read reviews. Expand
  89. Oct 17, 2013
    Graphically, I think this game needs improvement. The game play however is very solid. It's a game that takes a few hours of play to get to a point where the player can appreciate the work that went into it. I bring that up because I thought I made a mistake in my purchase the first couple of hours I played it. However, as you level up and get stronger, the world becomes more open to you, throwing in new challenges (mainly more monsters).
    I also enjoy the way you can stay as a particular class and gain specific permanent strengths to your character as that class that you can take with you when you switch classes.
  90. May 2, 2013
    I have just started the Dark Arisen version, but since I have started the new game from scratch, it will take some time, before I'll be able to talk about its additions. So let me just go over some points of the original Dragon's Dogma, the best RPG game released in 2012, that I'd like to address.

Reason why DD never quite hit the mainstream is, I think, how incredibly dull the first
    few hours of the game are. I was looking out for DD pretty much since first videos. My guts were telling me this is going to be Demons Souls big and they were ultimately right, but the first day or two I was playing DD, it felt like money flushed down the toilet.

The game starts with short linear piece in shoes of another Arisen, who is predecessor to our own hero. Point of this piece is to get player familiar with compat controls, but they are simply too complex for that and ultimately your pawns will do most of the job on their own. Still you are likely to get the hang of it to some extent to enjoy the fight with the chimera at the end.

The creation of our own hero follows and with all the options it is easy to kill an hour or two just with that. Then after a short fight and class selection you are thrown into the game in the small fisherman village of Cassardis (or something like that), which is about as dull as villages can get. Afternoon sun burns into everyones backs and who would really do anything in such weather. Short run around the beach will reveal another of DD's bigger flaws, which is overall level of detail of things, which is rather pathetic for 2012 game and the way props apper out of nowhere just a few meters in front of you is just sad. Thankfuly DD often manages to look strikingly beautiful anyways, mainly thanks to the suberb lightning.

All in all before you get to create your own pawn, several hours are gone and hardly anything happens by that time. And it takes about a dozen hours before you get to capital city, get familiar with vocation changing, weapon enhancing, etc. and start taking on quests that will lead you to yet unknown parts of the land, which is where DD is in its best. So, yeah, the start could have been better.

Exploration in Dragon's Dogma is a great thing you have to go places by foot and you can never be quite sure what kind of monsters you will encounter in those unknown lands. DD is not as hard as Souls series, but your survival in those encounters is nowhere near granted. Now if you are on your way to the fartherst regions of the map, you'll almost certainly not make it in before the night falls. And unlike in Skyrim, nights in DD are DARK. You won't see a thing unless you shine on it with something and lanterns give you just a few meters visibility. Nights are super dangerous with extra/tougher monsters being spawned and you just don't want to be out at night. I remember when I met my first Wywern it was in the middle of the night and boy were we screwed. There are actually small camps in the farther regions where you can get before sunset and spend the night in safety, but you have to find them first.

Fighting. Enemy lock would be kinda handy, but you can do well without it. Each class/vocation has its set of skills and you can change those classes at will in the capital city. Passive skills transfer between classes so it is good idea to try them all to make your unique build. Fighting skills are well varied and while the number of skills you can select for use in combat is fairly limited (3 for most weapon types), there are some powerful combinations to be found for many different playstyles. Skyrim has absolutely nothing on DD in terms of combat and its dragons look like a big joke next to drakes, wyrms, wyverns of DD. And you can climb the bigger bastards and those who can fly will often get aloft with you on their back a will try to get you fall. Combat is simply fun and downright epic when it comes to bigger enemies.

Crafting is an area of the game I am not quite happy with. All the equipment and enhancing are great, but there are literally tons of garbage lying just about everywhere and if you won't pick it up, your pawns likely will. It as annoying as it is useless since most of the stuff you can create you will never use. This area definitely needs a lot of cuts and streamlining.

And that's about it. Capcom should streamline the whole crafting side of things, level-up the graphics detail and get pawns more variety in dialogues (see Zero Punctuation). Music is great, so is combat and overal atmosphere. You just have to be patient with the begining, those who hurry into action will spend too much time getting to it to be happy with the game.

Dogma has a bunch of aforementioned loose ends, so it does not work as well as a whole as Dark Souls do, but if they take care of that with Deep Down (I am already pretty sure they didn't with Dark Arisen), the result is going to be pretty damn awesome.
  91. Jul 14, 2013
    Amazing dark fantasy RPG, combat doesn't have the finesse of Demons/Dark souls, but the availability of skills allows you to design all kinds of crazy combos and interesting tactics. Contrary to Elder scrolls and the souls series, gameplay is restricted to the job you choose (mage, fighter, etc) but you can change such job anytime you want, and some of the abilities from the job leveling system (augment) remain available even if you change vocation. It's a very addictive system in which you keep leveling different vocations to gain the best augments for your particular playstyle. Similar to other current RPGs, you also get unbelievable battles against huge monsters, and in this department, I gotta say Dragon's Dogma pulled it off perfectly. These fights feel visceral, grand scale, and brutal, with the special mechanic being the fact that you can actually climb the beasts and hack at weak spots similar to Shadow of the collossuss. My only gripe is the restricted Fast traveling system, hell, you don't even get a mount; but it's a minor issue, and I have to say it really gives it this special flavour of being on a long journey. A must have for Medieval RPG fans, and easily gets a spot in the Dark Epic Fantasy nirvana along with Demon's souls, Dark souls, and the elder scrolls series. Expand
  92. Jul 5, 2013
    Mixes western and Japanese RPG sensibilities very well, fun and rewarding without resorting to penalising the player with pointless grinding or becoming a mindless dungeon-crawl.
  93. Jul 29, 2013
    Dragon's Dogma is far from perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun if you are an RPG fan. Perhaps the graphics don't look pretty enough or the map doesn't feel as big as say a Elder Scrolls game. The game can become easy after awhile, though it starts off challenging. Hmm..the lack of quick travel or pawns incessant talking can irk some people. These things are small deals. The big deal is that the game is enjoyable. This is a fast paced role playing game. With customization. Epic boss fights. Some of the best versions I've ever seen of some common fantasy monsters. It does feel like an adventure. I recommend it to any rpg fan. Expand
  94. Jan 27, 2014
    Dragon's Dogma is flawed the same way a fresh dug gem is flawed - it's missing some fine craftsmanship and polishing, but in spite of that, has a raw beauty that captivates you. At first, I was thrown off by the seemingly pop rock song at the title screen, which led to a facepalm and left me thinking, "Japan, what have you done NOW?" But as I played the game, it completely took me by surprise at the setting and, the factor that led me to buy this game, the GAMEPLAY! I had too much fun with this game and I've yet to set it down!

Breakdown on features (on scale of 1 to 10):

Graphics: 7. Detailed, but nothing to write home about. Runs around 20 to 30 frames per second.

Sound: 7. Every character has a voice over, and most of them are not annoying. You'll be amused at the trainer that yells "Enough!" by the way.

Gameplay: 10! THIS is where the game truly shines! The controls are simple, and yet the way its presented takes it to another level. You can jump and climb on enemies, and depending on what you grab (the legs will slow them down) or attack (hit an enemy's eyes and they'll stagger) will affect the battle in different ways. As for the smaller enemies, you can actually grab them and do a Sparta kick! It's like Shadow of the Colossus, but with a more vibrant world AND with companions! More on that below...

Features: 9! The Pawn system takes the companion feature to a new level: You can actually use companions from your friends! This will make combat and exploring considerably easier and more fulfilling. That's not to say there aren't any challenging foes, however, as there are monsters that will test your group composition. Character and pawn customization is surprisingly detailed and makes you feel distinguishable.

Multiplayer: N/A, no true multiplayer here, though one can't help but think of possibilities....

Any downsides to this game?: The camera angles and lack of zooming can be a bit disappointing. Also you'd think this game would've harnessed the power of the PS3 to give the frame rate a bit of a boost. I found the story a bit uninteresting but to each their own.

Overall: This game is at the very least worth checking out, and a definite buy if you like an engrossing single-player RPG with fantastic combat.
  95. Mar 19, 2013
    Hardcore action RPG. Brilliant game. Great combat mechanics. Brilliant Griffin/boss fights! Enigmatic plot. One game I bothered to complete and let's face it not so many games are worth the effort these days. Bout to man up for a second playthrough!
  96. Apr 16, 2013
    Awesome game! GET IT!
    Good character creation. Little tough at first but gets easy. Combat system awesome! You dont go solo as you can get 3 followers to help and they are not dull with no talking as they do say helpful things to guide you if your new.
  97. May 28, 2013
    What an epic game, you can be anyone you choose to be, you can side with all different types of characters, and have awesome duels in a land, this game really is epic, but a little short sighted on quests, but there will be tons of them to complete. Really a great game.
  98. May 28, 2013
    This game is unbelievable. As a lifelong Elder Scrolls fan, I can say that this game scratches the itch better than the newest Skyrim game. Yes the map is smaller in terms of land area, but it is much deeper. Where Skyrim has tons of cookie-cutter dungeons, each of the dungeons in this game are fairly unique and interesting to play through. The landscapes are much more fun to explore in this game as each area feels hand-crafted for exploration. I even spent hours in the main city once climbing up walls to areas I recently didn't think were accessible, only to find secret chests with very useful items. A friend of mine played a character with a double jump (which I did not have), and was thus able to access areas I didn't even know were in the game!

Battles in Skyrim quickly devolve into "run forward while mashing R2," but battles in this game are epic and strategic. What other real-time RPG can you name where you can have party members simultaneous casting spells, shooting arrows into the eyes, climbing on the back to slash at the back of the neck, and holding the attention/agro of one of three huge ogres in the middle of an epic battle to take back a fortress?

No fast travel means you have to actually walk across the beautiful landscape, planning ahead for your journey to make sure you have enough supplies, leaving at dawn because enemies grow stronger and greater in number at night. This all adds to such a high amount of immersion that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind for the original Xbox. The pawn system is just genius, giving incentive to create the best main pawn you can possibly create, because you get points when other players use your pawn online. These points can then be redeemed for you to use higher level pawns for your own journeys.

Overall this is one of the best American-style RPGs I have ever played. Yes the pawns' dialog can get annoying, yes battling the same enemies can get tedious, but I can overlook all of that when playing the most immersive, epic, strategic, and overall fun RPG I've played in years.
  99. Jan 30, 2014
    I only need 2 words to summarize this game: Simply Incredible.

This game is what I had expected of Skyrim - innovative, fun, and beautiful with a memorable story. The combat is open and extremely complex, a level of complexity I've not seen since. Gear progression is fluent and satisfying and the open world is very fluent. No framerate drops or other fails of the system. I really hope
    Capcom releases the next DD, as this was a great experience. Expand
  100. Nov 5, 2013
    With an astounding battle system and a beautiful lore, Dragon''s Dogma it's a good choice of RPG, and, it's better than Skyrim in almost every aspect.
  101. May 26, 2012

1. Aug 13, 2012
    This adventurer relished Dragon's Dogma's old-school sensibilities, which make it familiar territory that is expected on a PC instead of something from Capcom on the PS3. As players romp across a wide-open world filled with danger, titanic ruins and wonders, they'll realize that it's a rough, rewarding world, though its hardened edges may not be to everyone's cup of tea.
    Neither Monster Hunter nor Dark Souls--but a great combination of the two.
  3. Jul 9, 2012
    The graphics aren't state-of-the-art and the story isn't that well-told. That said, spectacular combat and a wonderful environment to wander around in save Dragon's Dogma from the purgatory of mediocrity.