Drakengard 3 PlayStation 3

7.6

1. May 20, 2014
    Ah, I knew this was probably going to be met with mediocre-level reviews. I honestly don't understand where people seem to be getting off about long load times. They really are not all that long. Aside from that, there are some framerate issues, but they don't detract from the game as a whole. The gameplay is extremely fast-paced, frantic, and fun. Endlessly slaughtering enemies, really.Ah, I knew this was probably going to be met with mediocre-level reviews. I honestly don't understand where people seem to be getting off about long load times. They really are not all that long. Aside from that, there are some framerate issues, but they don't detract from the game as a whole. The gameplay is extremely fast-paced, frantic, and fun. Endlessly slaughtering enemies, really. The story is dark, and also throws in some seriously morbid, as well as sexual humor. It's a great experience, and if you can overlook the framerate issues, it is really a great game. I love it. Expand
  2. May 24, 2014
    I loved Drakengard 3, it doesn't deserve a 10, but its a great experience. The characters and plot are amazing and unique. A couple perverted followers have routines that wear pretty thin, but main character Zero's wit is razor sharp the whole way through. The story and characters maybe rude and violent but they are steeped in allegory and, if you are willing to think about it, you getI loved Drakengard 3, it doesn't deserve a 10, but its a great experience. The characters and plot are amazing and unique. A couple perverted followers have routines that wear pretty thin, but main character Zero's wit is razor sharp the whole way through. The story and characters maybe rude and violent but they are steeped in allegory and, if you are willing to think about it, you get more than just poop jokes out of it. (There are also poop jokes.)

Sadly the gameplay is a mixed bag. While the attacks feel solid, the controls are never as tight as classic action titles like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. The RPG elements are pretty light, with choices of weapons being your only real customization. Areas are small and suffer from framerate drops that come in bursts and can get pretty bad. Panzer Dragoon style ride-alongs are interspersed throughout, riding your dragon feels a bit clunky in tight quarters, but for all I know that's intentional. (He is a big oaf) Still, I enjoyed the gameplay for the considerably long ride that the game offers; its by no means awful, just more reminiscent of PS2 era action games.

Its clear to me that technical issues got in the way. The game is poorly optimized, having trouble running smoothly even with small areas, low res environments and frequent, if short, load times. However, I cannot find myself too caught up in its faults because I genuinely had fun with the gameplay, with the character's banter and especially with the plot. In many ways Drakengard 3 reminds me of how video games were a decade ago, lower budget affairs concerned with style over everything else. Drakengard 3 is destined to be a cult classic.
  3. May 23, 2014
    This is one of the few games that can tell a great story, worry not if you're a newcomer, Drakengard 3 is actually a prequel. Check out a few game play videos and see how brutal the combat really is. The soundtrack rivaled only by Nier, a game by the same company. It's a damn shame reviewers are giving this such low scores, likely because they haven't finished the game, playing it for 100This is one of the few games that can tell a great story, worry not if you're a newcomer, Drakengard 3 is actually a prequel. Check out a few game play videos and see how brutal the combat really is. The soundtrack rivaled only by Nier, a game by the same company. It's a damn shame reviewers are giving this such low scores, likely because they haven't finished the game, playing it for 100 hours I guarantee this is an experience unlike any other. Expand
  4. May 20, 2014
    This game actually keep up whit the essence of the others drakengard games and has that dark and involving story just like nier...this game has such a great hstory you keep playing you keep want to see whats gonna happen next the gameply are so good and given a more than 100 hour if you wanna do everything. We need more game like this!! we have this masterpiece now square please makeThis game actually keep up whit the essence of the others drakengard games and has that dark and involving story just like nier...this game has such a great hstory you keep playing you keep want to see whats gonna happen next the gameply are so good and given a more than 100 hour if you wanna do everything. We need more game like this!! we have this masterpiece now square please make valkyrie profile and star ocean sequels :D Expand
  5. May 20, 2014
    If you were to follow most critic's reviews you'd think this game is bad. The problem is most critics who critic this game don't really seem to get the point. The gameplay is in the same vein as you Devil May Cry and Dynasty Warriors. That mean fun super stylish combo's that just make you feel like a badass and is "FUN" (you know... the whole point of video games to begin with). The storyIf you were to follow most critic's reviews you'd think this game is bad. The problem is most critics who critic this game don't really seem to get the point. The gameplay is in the same vein as you Devil May Cry and Dynasty Warriors. That mean fun super stylish combo's that just make you feel like a badass and is "FUN" (you know... the whole point of video games to begin with). The story is also something some reviewer just don't get. This is mainly because although I very much enjoyed the more twisted storyline I see where some reviewer just wouldn't enjoy it as it's an acquired taste.

The thing you need to know is this game is fun, and if you like japanese actions games like this you'll love it. If you're not sure either borrow from a friend or rent through gamefly or something because no amount someone else's opinion is gonna tell you whether you'll like it.
  6. May 21, 2014
    I really knew, many editors would make a low score review of this game, I've played full playthrough on the japanese version (DoD3) and I can say Yoko Taro & Ex-Cavia devs made an amazing & original game with a rare and dark story, but ask yourself, if they weren't doing this game maybe no one would do it. I know about the framerate issues and loading times but still is a rare and shiningI really knew, many editors would make a low score review of this game, I've played full playthrough on the japanese version (DoD3) and I can say Yoko Taro & Ex-Cavia devs made an amazing & original game with a rare and dark story, but ask yourself, if they weren't doing this game maybe no one would do it. I know about the framerate issues and loading times but still is a rare and shining gem like Nier.

One more tip before I finish this, very important, the soundtrack never dissapointed me, one of the best I've ever heard like Nier, team MONACA & singers made a masterpiece tracklist.
  7. May 22, 2014
    Don't listen to the "professional" reviews listed, Drakengard 3 is a shining gem in it's own right as a part of this trilogy regardless if you have played the previous games or not. If you're a fan of epic musical scores, frantic battles and dark, gritty story lines then this is for you.

Drakengard 3 deserves to stand on it's own merits as a game while staying true to it's predecessors. I'm 5 hours in and thoroughly enjoying myself.
  8. May 21, 2014
    Jogo de ação batalhas divertidas entre outras coisas que chamam a atenção de qualquer jogador de rpg ou hack'n slash apesar de ele ser para um publico alvo ele e um bom jogo
  9. May 25, 2014
    It's alright.

It's a middling-ish character action game. It's not as sophisticated as Bayonetta or Wonderful 101, but it's not quite as simplistic as a Warriors game or Killer is dead. It found a nice comfortable spot in the middle of that spectrum. It has graphical issues, considering it's an Unreal Engine game, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Slow down is a problem when your
    It's alright.

It has graphical issues, considering it's an Unreal Engine game, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Slow down is a problem when your dragon is bombing areas and there's a lot of pop-in when the stage loads up.

The camera also leads something to be desired, especially when you're dealing with the large enemies and can lead you to getting blind-sided.

There's a lot of content depending on how set you are on being a completionist. To get everything, grinding is required.

The story is presented in an unusual fashion that requires you to kinda put the pieces together on your own. The characters aren't especially complex, but the dialogue and banter between them is hilarious.

My major concern is the quality of DLC that seems to be on the horizon. There's trophy segments for all 5 of the other sisters locked away with that DLC + icon. Hopefully they aren't be too over-priced.
  10. May 20, 2014
    Some critic reviews are a bit all over the place. This game is far from perfect, but personally this game has been fun for the 2 hours of me playing it. What I don't understand is reviews reviewing games that doesn't fit their personal taste. When they have to review it, they give low scores due to their "personal taste".

Anyways, if you love action games, JRPGs or a Drakengard series

Anyways, if you love action games, JRPGs or a Drakengard series fan this game " in my opinion" is a must have. It does have bad words in the game, so if you can't handle that, I suggest you not to get it. Overall I have having loads of fun I give this game a 9
  11. May 23, 2014
    Poorly written "professional" reviews aside (looks like IGN didn't get paid enough to bump that score up!), this game is amazing.
    Destructoid has a very solid review that basically sums up what I also think.
    Action game fans, and fans of Nier will definitely love this title.
  12. May 20, 2014
    **** the "professional critics" this game is awesome, epic soundtrack and history, if you love drakengard 2 and 1, well this is the best from the series.
  13. May 28, 2014
    Despite the graphics and camera-problems, Drakengard 3 is a fully enjoyable game. Jokes are funny, the dragon is cute and the story is interesting. Do we need more than that?
  14. Jun 5, 2014
    Do NOT make the mistake is getting this if you liked Drakengard, or Neir, this is absolutely the worst game I have played in a very long time. The actually gameplay is not that bad beyond just its simplistic button mashing but the story is horrendous, and the characters reminded me as if a 9-year wrote them to be as 'adult' as they could.

You get compltely one-dimensional characters

You get compltely one-dimensional characters that swear alot, wow so cool...
  15. Jun 5, 2014
    I'll start off by saying this -- this is probably one of my favorite games I have ever played. It's unique, witty, funny, and has a specific charm that hits what makes me laugh and humored.

However, there's still the need to be honest. This game is flawed. There are graphical errors all around, and the game is glitched to heaven come. Heck, the game froze on me once after I completed a mission. I've found myself stuck in corners and also my visuals impaired during a massive battle that I end up losing and it's nothing short of infuriating.

Also, another fact that the ending chapter is locked until you have all your weapons almost made me ragequit. I've never been a completionist in my games and I admit I've never played a Drakengard game before so I honestly went into this blind.

However, this game had be entertained so much that I decided to be a completionist for once. Yeah, it was hard, but I did it. It has a charm I have never seen before and the battle system (when it's 95% of the time not glitching on me) is absolutely enjoyable. The banter between the party members makes the tedious missions actually fun as I go into battle not just trying to kill a hoard of 50 soldiers to 3 overpowered monsters, but also enjoying a candid conversation the members are putting on. Zero is literally the player, speaking about how irritating it is to precision jump in game and voicing opinions that probably many players have about tedious tasks. THAT is this game's charm. You're not just playing a game to play the game, you're playing it to be entertained as well, and I find that's something you don't find too much anymore.

I've laughed out loud so many times. It makes me happy to see a game that caters to my sense of humor and isn't some run of the mill, humor, try not to offend anyone game. So yes, to be blunt, this game is very politically incorrect. It doesn't care that it is either. I've heard reviewers calls this game's humor 'immature' and 'infantile', but hey, there's more than one kind of person. This is definitely a game that caters to a specific group, and I'm happy to say I'm part of that group and will probably be trying the other Drakengard games now.

For the score, I should have given it a 6 or 7 for the gameplay, because it is very rough at times and it is infuriating, however I also want people to give this game a chance if you're looking for something unique. It's far from perfect, but you will know probably right away if you'll love this game or hate it. There's no inbetween, and this game doesn't allow for that. So if the crude humor and political incorrectness is going to be a turn off? Don't touch this game. Then again if any graphical errors and glitches make you cringe, this might also not be a game to pull yourself through.

If you want something fresh that only cares that it leaves the player entertained with its twisted and messed up sense of humor? Go for it. Give it a try at least. I'm glad I did. I saw the reviews for this game before I picked it up and saw the see saw of positive and negative reviews that I decided to game a gamble, and it's one that paid off for me.

Gameplay wise, I enjoy a good hack and slash, and the fluidity of switching between weapons and using your items is really nice. There's no lag or anything, just boom, boom, and we're moving on.

All in all, if you're itching to give this game a try or just want to play a good hack and slash, go for it. If the negative reviews and talk of it's strange sense of humor that doesn't even try to cater to the masses makes you look the other way, then don't get it. It's really as simple as that.

If you do end up picking it up, I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did.
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    Quite honestly could never recommend this game to anyone, especially in its current state. For starters the game feels like its a decade old, no scratch that, there are games that actually are a decade old that appear more advanced than this game. I'm an old school gamer, so rarely do I concern myself with graphics too much, but my god this game is UGLY, the prime example is the leadingQuite honestly could never recommend this game to anyone, especially in its current state. For starters the game feels like its a decade old, no scratch that, there are games that actually are a decade old that appear more advanced than this game. I'm an old school gamer, so rarely do I concern myself with graphics too much, but my god this game is UGLY, the prime example is the leading leading, Zero herself; Somehow a woman wearing completely white, with white hair can still look dirty, courtesy of the obviously low budget this game was working on. As for combat, the game is a basic hack and slash. While it does a mostly ok job at this, the game takes any and every opportunity to glitch and show its atrocious frame rate making the game virtually unplayable during the later levels where there are lots of enemies as well as big ones. One of the selling points of this game was being able to fly on a dragon, yay!...Unfortunately the dragon steers abysmally, this coming from someone who's steered the helicopters in GTA V, that's saying something. By far one of the worst things about this game though are the characters, 1 dimensional tools who apparently can't go a single sentence without some depraved sexual statement, one of which is overly eager to share his desire for masochistic punishment. I'm not even kidding, everything that comes out of their mouth is crude filth, and while I enjoy that sort of thing usually, constantly hearing it just makes the characters hollow and really puts a dampener on the whole game. The voices don't really help, it's a Japanese game and while it hasn't got the worst cast in the history of American dubbed games, you're likely to hear rare classics like Yuri Lowenthal whose whiny voice makes already hated characters that much more hated. Usually I wouldn't comment on such a thing, when a game has a Japanese Audio feature, but being a lucky schmuck from Europe Square released this tripe and didn't fix the damn Japanese dub, leaving us with no choice but to listen to the American cast. Among one of the most amateur mistakes this game makes however is the bad AI; There is no excuse for that kind of AI, not these days, AI are frequently running into walls, and sometimes your companions don't notice the hundreds of enemies surrounding them and will just stand there taking hits, it's bad, unforgivably bad. The only really good things I can say about this game is the sound track is very reminiscent of Nier, I loved Nier and the I adore the soundtrack of Drakengard 3 all the same. The story is also pretty good, sometimes the game can't seem to make up its min whether it wants to be funny or serious, but overall it's ok, it's at least more original than the story of some games these days.
    Unfortunately, even with those good points, I don't consider them enough to warrant buying the game, it's just not good enough. Save your pennies.
  17. May 23, 2014
    Unlike most people, I have the unpopular opinion that this game doesn't deserve a 10/10 rating.

Essentially, what i'd been hoping for over the past 9 years was a successor to the original Drakengard, instead it was more like Drakengard 2. The design of the characters is nice and the main characters personality was a refreshing change for me, but when you compare it to Drakengard 1 it

The design of the characters is nice and the main characters personality was a refreshing change for me, but when you compare it to Drakengard 1 it is fairly lacking.

Where Drakengard 1 had massive maps and the ability to call your dragon at any point Drakengard 3 is a linear corridor game, the closest comparison that comes to mind is Ninety-Nine Nights, but even that had massive amounts of units on the fields.

The weapon level system is not like Drakengard 1 and instead uses a much less interesting method.
    The game suffers from constant frame-drop despite the small amount of action occurring on screen.

This is - at best - a decent game.
  18. May 25, 2014
    Above average story aside, I cannot recommend this game. The graphics and texutres are some of the worst in the entirety of the Playstation 3's life cycle, the combat is extremely basic, slow, and unbearably repetetive. The game recycles levels and enemy times constantly. The tone is all over the place. One minute it's depressing and then next it showing dragon pissing itself in an attemptAbove average story aside, I cannot recommend this game. The graphics and texutres are some of the worst in the entirety of the Playstation 3's life cycle, the combat is extremely basic, slow, and unbearably repetetive. The game recycles levels and enemy times constantly. The tone is all over the place. One minute it's depressing and then next it showing dragon pissing itself in an attempt at humor. The game lags whenever anything remotely interesting happens. Most of the characters are one dimensional, except Zero, but she's completely unlikeable. Even the dragon gameplay, which was supposedly the selling point of the game, i horrible. It feels like a bad rail shooter. I cannot recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  19. May 25, 2014
    The story goes straight to the point : Zero, one of the singing maidens supposed to bring peace and prosperity, wants to kill. No one knows why, but she's firmly decided to decimate all her sisters in the most brutal possible manner. She will be helped by her faithful Dragon Mikael in her wicked plan.

I don't know why, before starting Drakengard 3 I was convinced that it would be an open-world RPG. I quickly realized it was the contrary : most of the stages go straight without junctions, although with treasure chests here and there to make the player search a little. Most of the job is to slay the armies of monsters and bosses that get in your way by chaining combos and dodging in style, all of this in real time. Yes, I just described a BTA. Because Drakengard 3 is much closer to a BTA than a JRPG or even an A-RPG like Kingdom Hearts given that no menu ever show up in battle. That said, it keeps a few elements of that lineage, mainly weapon customization and experience points. Those are still very important, because the difficulty increases gradually during the main story but very quickly in the postgame chapters. You will then have to grind in previous chapters so as to keep up with the adversity. In parallel, it will be crucial to improve your weapons because top gear is required too.

So if you take it as a BTA, Drakengard 3 ends up fairly good : the gameplay which relies on weapon-switching is pretty hooking, enemies are tough but the difficulty is very progressive as I already said. It's actually up to you to establish your own attack strategy by choosing the weapon you see fit depending on the situation. You have the choice between 4 types of weapons : spears, swords, gauntlets and chakrams. Like in all good BTAs, you'll have to carefully analyze the enemies' moves if you want to survive, and it's quite fast-paced too. Many sequences will have you ride the dragon. Those ones are far from gimmicky as there's a whole gameplay behind it. I can fly and keep onto the ground, in both cases the dragon's attacks vary. Surprisingly, when flying you have to manage your altitude with X. Every boss fight is done on the dragon's back and each one involve a new strategy. You also have a bunch of sidequests that are actually mini-challenges that put you against the clock. Others consist in some series of colosseum fights in which you'll need serious knowledge of the bestiary.

The general atmosphere of the game is terrific : chapter 0 begins very intensely and the game in general gives adrenaline rushes. Zero and Mikael are constantly making fun of each other, despite the massacre they do. It's purely funny, there is nothing serious in the story. It looks like some long-running manzai in which Zero keeps complaining about everything and everyone while the others make fun of her. Drakengard 3 is equally efficient as an action game than as a comedy. It's still extremely violent, as limbs fly and Zero is drenched in blood. It's precisely after a sea of blood that she can unleash her fury.

Drakengard 3 has unfortunately two sad drawbacks, that are its technical and sound performance. Level-design is ultra poor the characters' 3D models reminds you of 10 years ago. I almost wondered whether the Access Games re-used the 3D engine of Drakengard 2. I could understand if it was one of the first PS3 games, but it's kinda one of the last... and the framerate sinks horribly on quite some occasions. The OST is good, no doubt. But you actually enjoy it more or less only outside battle because there is zero emphasis during the game in itself.

A quick word on DLC : those invite you to play as Zero's sisters during one chapter focused on their own story/personality (there's also one on Zero for some reason). There are not very important in regard of the story in general, and the gameplay is the same as Zero's most of the time (only Three has the exclusivity of her scissors and associated skills). However, Two's chapter felt a little more interesting and emotional than the others. Whether you buy these or not depends on your liking of the various characters or if you just can't get enough of the game's bizarre direction. Let's stress that there are quite a few trophies to be earned here.

Although it's nothing like a Ninja Gaiden or a Bayonetta, Drakengard 3 is a very good third way to enjoy an action game. The irresistible personality that springs from it makes it a fine choice for Japanese games fans.
  20. Jun 7, 2014
    Pros-

Cons: Charatcters is irritating as hell, graphics is like a ps2 game...story is ugly thisis one of the worst game in the world i ever played...
    NIER was 100% better game...
  21. May 25, 2014
    Pros: It has a unique story and characters. The aerial battles on a dragon are fun/original. Controls feel pretty responsive. Pull off combos and swap between weapon types on the fly.

Cons: Graphics (looks like someone coloured outside the lines during cutscenes). Frame-rate problems. Camera angles while playing can make it hard to see what's going on (mostly when there are many enemies on the field).

Other (Can be pro or con, depending on your taste): Fast-paced Hack and Slash gameplay. Just a menu where you choose which mission you want to take (not open world, but you can go back and retry missions to level up).

Bottom line: The humour, gameplay, and story won't be for everyone, but, if you're into hack & slash games and don't mind humour that's a bit on the dark and odd side, this game would definitely be worth checking out at a lower price or if they fix some of the technical problems with an update.
  22. Apr 26, 2015
    oh yeah, not to mention this game is a wannabe nier game and they still suck making this game square enix could have done better with the graphics come on we are in 2014-15
  23. Dec 29, 2014
    I decided to check out this game because Drakengard was one of my original ps2 games and I was curious what this game would be like. Drakengard had pretty lame gameplay to be honest but for some reason was still fun. I guess its just a time filling hack and slash that just moves forward with a nice story. Drakengard 3 to me is an updated next generation console version of the orginal. II decided to check out this game because Drakengard was one of my original ps2 games and I was curious what this game would be like. Drakengard had pretty lame gameplay to be honest but for some reason was still fun. I guess its just a time filling hack and slash that just moves forward with a nice story. Drakengard 3 to me is an updated next generation console version of the orginal. I found the gameplay equally repetitive and the looting similar. What was noticably improved by far were the graphics to me they are really nice. The atmosphere is much different I felt the original game was rather midevil in nature where this new one is more j-rpg graphically. I have to admit this is where my interest in this game was lost just one short hour in. First of all 45 minutes to install then what really got to me was the voicing. The dragon is portrayed about as similar to spongebob squarepants and I found it really super annoying. I certainly don't understand what the developers were going for this game is riddled with heavy potty mouth and very mature themes it didn't make sense to have the dragon so friggin annoying and childish. All in all I could tolerate the gameplay and the visuals but I could not tolerate the development of the game not deciding on a particular crowd for this game. Is it for kids as the dragon suggests? Is for for adults as the vixenous characters and potty language suggest or is it for anime fans. This total disconnect put the image in my head this game is not worth the effort. I only played an hour as i said i liked a lot of the next generation nature of this remake but in the end i have to say i might as well play games that don't turn me off instead. I usually don't mind quirky games but i found this one unnecessaryily so. Expand
  24. Jul 26, 2015
    So I gave this game a 2nd chance, glad i did (i was worried this game was like Dynasty Warriors which im not a fan of). Oh and this game is a prequel to the other two games (which i never played or even heard of until now) Anyway the story is the female lead- Zero, is hellbent on killing her 5 sisters. Shes pissed and will stop at nothing to complete her goal. Thats the simple version. ItSo I gave this game a 2nd chance, glad i did (i was worried this game was like Dynasty Warriors which im not a fan of). Oh and this game is a prequel to the other two games (which i never played or even heard of until now) Anyway the story is the female lead- Zero, is hellbent on killing her 5 sisters. Shes pissed and will stop at nothing to complete her goal. Thats the simple version. It gets better. Way better. Sounds really messed up (which it is) BUT i think she's entertaining and funny as are her disciples. Great action/rpg/hack n slash game.
    If youre worried about being lost in this massive rpg world dont be- everything is set up very straighforward and clear. Levels are linear and menus precise and to the point, (this goes for viewing/completing side missions, upgrading and collecting weapons as well). Collectibles (chests) arent a big deal if you miss one. You can go the chapter menu, and go to subchapters (called Verse) and it will clearly show you how many chests you missed on which Chapter and Verse. You can even start at checkpoints within chapters to collect chests if you want to.
    You have some light RPG elements- buy and upgrade weapons, buy potions for extra health, damage, defense, etc. Its simple but works fine. After you defeat a boss you get to keep their disciples who range from a 22 year old well hung and very horny guy whose body ages quickly to a well rounded...masochist. Thier chatter during and in between missions is very different from the usual bro games like CoD and its something i like. Sounds strange and it is but the combat is good and theres a ton of missions. I just unlocked the last set of missions for Branch D (there are four "endings" in the game- you progress just as you normally would within the game- until you hit branch D. In order to play and complete branch D, you must collect all the weapons. Again, not as hard as it sounds. So far I think I'm about 30+ hours in and still enjoying it. I'll probably buy the slightly overpriced dlc missions just so i can keep playing because i enjoy this game so much and want to contribute to its success, (even though ive read the creator of this game is currently in unemployment with no projects in the near future). :(
    I was really worried about the frame rate problems because ive read lots of comments referring to it but ultimately for me they didnt happen as often as i thought they would so no problems there.
    And finally, i usually scour the internet looking for other opinions besides the critics- and I gotta say I think the critics were wrong on this one. I think its because they probably only got the first "ending" (Branch A) and put it down after that. Currently its at 61 here on metacritic which i think it deserves around 80 at least.Give it a shot though, i think its $20 new and the missions dlc are $30 for all six. I somehow got the Japanese voice pack and a couple outfits for free off the psn (no idea how that happened). Since i started though ive just been using the english voiceover which is pretty good i think. I like Zero's voice actress a lot. Not going to spoil anything here, but theres a few key scenes in the game i will revisit with the Japanese VO to see how much they differ or are the same.
  25. Nov 1, 2015
    This is absolutely one of my favorite games. The first in the series I've played but the game is so fluid, so beautiful, the music fills you with tears. The story compels you and confuses you and resolves you. My only negative is the last boss... I won't go into detail but it's serious business. I platinum-ed I loved it so much.
  26. Sep 6, 2014
    Good game, which did not have the budget.

pros:
    - Interesting story that will be revealed at the end.
    - Amazing crazy magical world and characters.
    - Humor.
    - Fairly good combat system.
    - Fast rhythm of the game, it's not medletilny Gov, where you can sleep.

Minysy:
    - Graphics.
    - Performance.
    - Combat system lacks depth.
    - Very difficult final.
  27. Jun 22, 2014
    despite some technical issues, this ia a really good game. the story is great, with good characters, and decent voice acting. the gameplay is fun, and there are many weapons with varying move-sets for each. graphically the cut scenes are beautiful, and the in game graphics are pretty good as well. the only problems i had were some slow downs in big battles, and texture loading times.
  28. Aug 14, 2014
    Most of the people who claim that this is a great game probably didn't finish it.

The visuals are PS2-era, technical performance is a crapshoot, and gameplay is extremely repetitive. On top of that, the final boss is a RHYTHM GAME which has no place in a hack-and-slash RPG. Zero and the story are interesting, and the soundtrack is certainly fantastic, but not enough to pull this game out of mediocrity.
  29. Jan 2, 2015
    Drakengard 3 carries on it's predecessors legacy completely. And if you liked the first Drakengard game you will probably enjoy this quite a bit. Despite everything that I am going to say.
    there are a couple of things that I like about this game. The soundtrack is great, the character designs are fairly well done. and of course the character controls are awesome. The game has an insane number of weapons. And they function differently from one another.
    But for how good the character controls and weapons are. that is all counterbalanced completely by the enemies that you use them to fight.
    All the big enemies feel pretty much the same to fight. With lengthy wind-up times they should be alot easier to dodge then they are. But with the Haphazard hit boxes. and the fact that all of them spin around like ballerinas during that time. You are basically stuck dodging backwards 2 or 3 times, or timing one dodge perfectly.
    I chose the former, finding it to be a lot more reliable.
    And all the little enemies are either pointless, or annoying. With the main character literally complaining about the games poor design choices on a regular basis.
    Well sorry but pointing out that your game is poorly designed doesn't make it any less poorly designed. The levels are lengthy, and have very little variety. While most of them having only a few standout sections. If any.
    The boss battles are typically pretty cool. If a little frustrating. The set scene and well themed bosses manages to make them actually very interesting. Easily making the boss fights, complete with epic music. By far the best part of the game.
    Lastly the story is horrible. While I have heard that it improves quite a bit after the first play through. I should not have to literally beat the game once before things get interesting. Before the first ending (and more or less up until the last second of it) the story can be easily summed up as "Zero wants to kill her sisters because she's a **** With only vague hints in the last couple scenes that there may be more. All the while you get to hear the character you collect along the way tasteless talk about sex. It is tasteless, stupid, pointless and not even funny in the slightest.
    I managed to get the first ending. But I could not even bring myself to start on the second play through.
  30. Jun 27, 2014
    Just EPIC.
    If you want to feel real emotions, this game is for you.
    But if you like only, "graphic" and other superficial things, go play your AAA games, so you don't have to bother about story or that you are playing the same crappy game year after year!
  31. Jan 1, 2016
    I haven't finished this one, but it just can't get better. This game made sad, just because it looked really great, and it could have been, but the developer made it look like they don't know what they wanted to make, the next one platinum games is making also looks great, but you already know this genre is where they are good...
  32. Jan 12, 2015
    It's from the creators of Nier. So it's basically a game that at the beginning there is a lot of jokes and you feel like there is a stupid story just for sakes of having one, but after playing for a while you notice that the story is actually pretty good. Of course the game main focused it's still the gameplay which it's pretty good, since almost every weapon is different, so it neverIt's from the creators of Nier. So it's basically a game that at the beginning there is a lot of jokes and you feel like there is a stupid story just for sakes of having one, but after playing for a while you notice that the story is actually pretty good. Of course the game main focused it's still the gameplay which it's pretty good, since almost every weapon is different, so it never really feels repetitive. If you like a weird, funny yet interesting and even touching story, this might be the game for you. I spend hours playing this game and I actually never felt bored, since I always tried to do things differently. Expand
  33. Aug 15, 2015
    I love this game. The characters, the story, the music and the banter that goes on whilst you're battling, even the final boss which made me want to chuck my controller at the screen. I loved it all. If only the budget had been bigger to make the graphics and frame rate better it would have been a perfect 10.

1. CD-Action
    Aug 25, 2014
    The most interesting bad game of this generation and the ugliest I’ve seen on PS3 in last couple of years. Only for Nier and Drakengard fans. [08/2014, p.70]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Aug 4, 2014
    Despite the shonky performance issues and woeful combat, there's still something that compels you forward. [Aug 2014, p.91]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jul 16, 2014
    A technically troubled, budget production that tries to compensate with gore and 'edgy' characters that are ultimately obnoxious. [August 2014, p79]