8.1

1. May 20, 2014
    Ah, I knew this was probably going to be met with mediocre-level reviews. I honestly don't understand where people seem to be getting off about long load times. They really are not all that long. Aside from that, there are some framerate issues, but they don't detract from the game as a whole. The gameplay is extremely fast-paced, frantic, and fun. Endlessly slaughtering enemies, really. The story is dark, and also throws in some seriously morbid, as well as sexual humor. It's a great experience, and if you can overlook the framerate issues, it is really a great game. I love it. Expand
  2. May 20, 2014
    This game actually keep up whit the essence of the others drakengard games and has that dark and involving story just like nier...this game has such a great hstory you keep playing you keep want to see whats gonna happen next the gameply are so good and given a more than 100 hour if you wanna do everything. We need more game like this!! we have this masterpiece now square please make valkyrie profile and star ocean sequels :D Expand
  3. May 20, 2014
    If you were to follow most critic's reviews you'd think this game is bad. The problem is most critics who critic this game don't really seem to get the point. The gameplay is in the same vein as you Devil May Cry and Dynasty Warriors. That mean fun super stylish combo's that just make you feel like a badass and is "FUN" (you know... the whole point of video games to begin with). The story is also something some reviewer just don't get. This is mainly because although I very much enjoyed the more twisted storyline I see where some reviewer just wouldn't enjoy it as it's an acquired taste.

The thing you need to know is this game is fun, and if you like japanese actions games like this you'll love it. If you're not sure either borrow from a friend or rent through gamefly or something because no amount someone else's opinion is gonna tell you whether you'll like it.
  4. May 21, 2014
    I really knew, many editors would make a low score review of this game, I've played full playthrough on the japanese version (DoD3) and I can say Yoko Taro & Ex-Cavia devs made an amazing & original game with a rare and dark story, but ask yourself, if they weren't doing this game maybe no one would do it. I know about the framerate issues and loading times but still is a rare and shining gem like Nier.

One more tip before I finish this, very important, the soundtrack never dissapointed me, one of the best I've ever heard like Nier, team MONACA & singers made a masterpiece tracklist.
  5. May 20, 2014
    Some critic reviews are a bit all over the place. This game is far from perfect, but personally this game has been fun for the 2 hours of me playing it. What I don't understand is reviews reviewing games that doesn't fit their personal taste. When they have to review it, they give low scores due to their "personal taste".

Anyways, if you love action games, JRPGs or a Drakengard series
    fan this game " in my opinion" is a must have. It does have bad words in the game, so if you can't handle that, I suggest you not to get it. Overall I have having loads of fun I give this game a 9 Expand
  6. May 22, 2014
    Don't listen to the "professional" reviews listed, Drakengard 3 is a shining gem in it's own right as a part of this trilogy regardless if you have played the previous games or not. If you're a fan of epic musical scores, frantic battles and dark, gritty story lines then this is for you.

Drakengard 3 deserves to stand on it's own merits as a game while staying true to it's
    predecessors. I'm 5 hours in and thoroughly enjoying myself. Expand
  7. May 21, 2014
    Jogo de ação batalhas divertidas entre outras coisas que chamam a atenção de qualquer jogador de rpg ou hack'n slash apesar de ele ser para um publico alvo ele e um bom jogo
  8. May 20, 2014
    **** the "professional critics" this game is awesome, epic soundtrack and history, if you love drakengard 2 and 1, well this is the best from the series.
  9. May 23, 2014
    This is one of the few games that can tell a great story, worry not if you're a newcomer, Drakengard 3 is actually a prequel. Check out a few game play videos and see how brutal the combat really is. The soundtrack rivaled only by Nier, a game by the same company. It's a damn shame reviewers are giving this such low scores, likely because they haven't finished the game, playing it for 100 hours I guarantee this is an experience unlike any other. Expand
  10. May 23, 2014
    Poorly written "professional" reviews aside (looks like IGN didn't get paid enough to bump that score up!), this game is amazing.
    Destructoid has a very solid review that basically sums up what I also think.
    Action game fans, and fans of Nier will definitely love this title.
  11. May 24, 2014
    I loved Drakengard 3, it doesn't deserve a 10, but its a great experience. The characters and plot are amazing and unique. A couple perverted followers have routines that wear pretty thin, but main character Zero's wit is razor sharp the whole way through. The story and characters maybe rude and violent but they are steeped in allegory and, if you are willing to think about it, you get more than just poop jokes out of it. (There are also poop jokes.)

Sadly the gameplay is a mixed bag. While the attacks feel solid, the controls are never as tight as classic action titles like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. The RPG elements are pretty light, with choices of weapons being your only real customization. Areas are small and suffer from framerate drops that come in bursts and can get pretty bad. Panzer Dragoon style ride-alongs are interspersed throughout, riding your dragon feels a bit clunky in tight quarters, but for all I know that's intentional. (He is a big oaf) Still, I enjoyed the gameplay for the considerably long ride that the game offers; its by no means awful, just more reminiscent of PS2 era action games.

Its clear to me that technical issues got in the way. The game is poorly optimized, having trouble running smoothly even with small areas, low res environments and frequent, if short, load times. However, I cannot find myself too caught up in its faults because I genuinely had fun with the gameplay, with the character's banter and especially with the plot. In many ways Drakengard 3 reminds me of how video games were a decade ago, lower budget affairs concerned with style over everything else. Drakengard 3 is destined to be a cult classic.
  12. May 25, 2014
    Above average story aside, I cannot recommend this game. The graphics and texutres are some of the worst in the entirety of the Playstation 3's life cycle, the combat is extremely basic, slow, and unbearably repetetive. The game recycles levels and enemy times constantly. The tone is all over the place. One minute it's depressing and then next it showing dragon pissing itself in an attempt at humor. The game lags whenever anything remotely interesting happens. Most of the characters are one dimensional, except Zero, but she's completely unlikeable. Even the dragon gameplay, which was supposedly the selling point of the game, i horrible. It feels like a bad rail shooter. I cannot recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    Do NOT make the mistake is getting this if you liked Drakengard, or Neir, this is absolutely the worst game I have played in a very long time. The actually gameplay is not that bad beyond just its simplistic button mashing but the story is horrendous, and the characters reminded me as if a 9-year wrote them to be as 'adult' as they could.

You get compltely one-dimensional characters
    that swear alot, wow so cool... Expand
  14. Jun 5, 2014
    I'll start off by saying this -- this is probably one of my favorite games I have ever played. It's unique, witty, funny, and has a specific charm that hits what makes me laugh and humored.

However, there's still the need to be honest. This game is flawed. There are graphical errors all around, and the game is glitched to heaven come. Heck, the game froze on me once after I
    completed a mission. I've found myself stuck in corners and also my visuals impaired during a massive battle that I end up losing and it's nothing short of infuriating.

Also, another fact that the ending chapter is locked until you have all your weapons almost made me ragequit. I've never been a completionist in my games and I admit I've never played a Drakengard game before so I honestly went into this blind.

However, this game had be entertained so much that I decided to be a completionist for once. Yeah, it was hard, but I did it. It has a charm I have never seen before and the battle system (when it's 95% of the time not glitching on me) is absolutely enjoyable. The banter between the party members makes the tedious missions actually fun as I go into battle not just trying to kill a hoard of 50 soldiers to 3 overpowered monsters, but also enjoying a candid conversation the members are putting on. Zero is literally the player, speaking about how irritating it is to precision jump in game and voicing opinions that probably many players have about tedious tasks. THAT is this game's charm. You're not just playing a game to play the game, you're playing it to be entertained as well, and I find that's something you don't find too much anymore.

I've laughed out loud so many times. It makes me happy to see a game that caters to my sense of humor and isn't some run of the mill, humor, try not to offend anyone game. So yes, to be blunt, this game is very politically incorrect. It doesn't care that it is either. I've heard reviewers calls this game's humor 'immature' and 'infantile', but hey, there's more than one kind of person. This is definitely a game that caters to a specific group, and I'm happy to say I'm part of that group and will probably be trying the other Drakengard games now.

For the score, I should have given it a 6 or 7 for the gameplay, because it is very rough at times and it is infuriating, however I also want people to give this game a chance if you're looking for something unique. It's far from perfect, but you will know probably right away if you'll love this game or hate it. There's no inbetween, and this game doesn't allow for that. So if the crude humor and political incorrectness is going to be a turn off? Don't touch this game. Then again if any graphical errors and glitches make you cringe, this might also not be a game to pull yourself through.

If you want something fresh that only cares that it leaves the player entertained with its twisted and messed up sense of humor? Go for it. Give it a try at least. I'm glad I did. I saw the reviews for this game before I picked it up and saw the see saw of positive and negative reviews that I decided to game a gamble, and it's one that paid off for me.

Gameplay wise, I enjoy a good hack and slash, and the fluidity of switching between weapons and using your items is really nice. There's no lag or anything, just boom, boom, and we're moving on.

All in all, if you're itching to give this game a try or just want to play a good hack and slash, go for it. If the negative reviews and talk of it's strange sense of humor that doesn't even try to cater to the masses makes you look the other way, then don't get it. It's really as simple as that.

If you do end up picking it up, I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did.
  15. May 23, 2014
    Unlike most people, I have the unpopular opinion that this game doesn't deserve a 10/10 rating.

Essentially, what i'd been hoping for over the past 9 years was a successor to the original Drakengard, instead it was more like Drakengard 2.

The design of the characters is nice and the main characters personality was a refreshing change for me, but when you compare it to Drakengard 1 it
    is fairly lacking.

Where Drakengard 1 had massive maps and the ability to call your dragon at any point Drakengard 3 is a linear corridor game, the closest comparison that comes to mind is Ninety-Nine Nights, but even that had massive amounts of units on the fields.

The weapon level system is not like Drakengard 1 and instead uses a much less interesting method.
    The game suffers from constant frame-drop despite the small amount of action occurring on screen.

This is - at best - a decent game.
  16. May 25, 2014
    It's alright.

It's a middling-ish character action game. It's not as sophisticated as Bayonetta or Wonderful 101, but it's not quite as simplistic as a Warriors game or Killer is dead. It found a nice comfortable spot in the middle of that spectrum.

It has graphical issues, considering it's an Unreal Engine game, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Slow down is a problem when your
    dragon is bombing areas and there's a lot of pop-in when the stage loads up.

The camera also leads something to be desired, especially when you're dealing with the large enemies and can lead you to getting blind-sided.

There's a lot of content depending on how set you are on being a completionist. To get everything, grinding is required.

The story is presented in an unusual fashion that requires you to kinda put the pieces together on your own. The characters aren't especially complex, but the dialogue and banter between them is hilarious.

My major concern is the quality of DLC that seems to be on the horizon. There's trophy segments for all 5 of the other sisters locked away with that DLC + icon. Hopefully they aren't be too over-priced.
  17. Jun 3, 2014
    Quite honestly could never recommend this game to anyone, especially in its current state. For starters the game feels like its a decade old, no scratch that, there are games that actually are a decade old that appear more advanced than this game. I'm an old school gamer, so rarely do I concern myself with graphics too much, but my god this game is UGLY, the prime example is the leading leading, Zero herself; Somehow a woman wearing completely white, with white hair can still look dirty, courtesy of the obviously low budget this game was working on. As for combat, the game is a basic hack and slash. While it does a mostly ok job at this, the game takes any and every opportunity to glitch and show its atrocious frame rate making the game virtually unplayable during the later levels where there are lots of enemies as well as big ones. One of the selling points of this game was being able to fly on a dragon, yay!...Unfortunately the dragon steers abysmally, this coming from someone who's steered the helicopters in GTA V, that's saying something. By far one of the worst things about this game though are the characters, 1 dimensional tools who apparently can't go a single sentence without some depraved sexual statement, one of which is overly eager to share his desire for masochistic punishment. I'm not even kidding, everything that comes out of their mouth is crude filth, and while I enjoy that sort of thing usually, constantly hearing it just makes the characters hollow and really puts a dampener on the whole game. The voices don't really help, it's a Japanese game and while it hasn't got the worst cast in the history of American dubbed games, you're likely to hear rare classics like Yuri Lowenthal whose whiny voice makes already hated characters that much more hated. Usually I wouldn't comment on such a thing, when a game has a Japanese Audio feature, but being a lucky schmuck from Europe Square released this tripe and didn't fix the damn Japanese dub, leaving us with no choice but to listen to the American cast. Among one of the most amateur mistakes this game makes however is the bad AI; There is no excuse for that kind of AI, not these days, AI are frequently running into walls, and sometimes your companions don't notice the hundreds of enemies surrounding them and will just stand there taking hits, it's bad, unforgivably bad. The only really good things I can say about this game is the sound track is very reminiscent of Nier, I loved Nier and the I adore the soundtrack of Drakengard 3 all the same. The story is also pretty good, sometimes the game can't seem to make up its min whether it wants to be funny or serious, but overall it's ok, it's at least more original than the story of some games these days.
    Unfortunately, even with those good points, I don't consider them enough to warrant buying the game, it's just not good enough. Save your pennies.
  18. May 25, 2014
    The story goes straight to the point : Zero, one of the singing maidens supposed to bring peace and prosperity, wants to kill. No one knows why, but she's firmly decided to decimate all her sisters in the most brutal possible manner. She will be helped by her faithful Dragon Mikael in her wicked plan.

I don't know why, before starting Drakengard 3 I was convinced that it would be an
    open-world RPG. I quickly realized it was the contrary : most of the stages go straight without junctions, although with treasure chests here and there to make the player search a little. Most of the job is to slay the armies of monsters and bosses that get in your way by chaining combos and dodging in style, all of this in real time. Yes, I just described a BTA. Because Drakengard 3 is much closer to a BTA than a JRPG or even an A-RPG like Kingdom Hearts given that no menu ever show up in battle. That said, it keeps a few elements of that lineage, mainly weapon customization and experience points. Those are still very important, because the difficulty increases gradually during the main story but very quickly in the postgame chapters. You will then have to grind in previous chapters so as to keep up with the adversity. In parallel, it will be crucial to improve your weapons because top gear is required too.

So if you take it as a BTA, Drakengard 3 ends up fairly good : the gameplay which relies on weapon-switching is pretty hooking, enemies are tough but the difficulty is very progressive as I already said. It's actually up to you to establish your own attack strategy by choosing the weapon you see fit depending on the situation. You have the choice between 4 types of weapons : spears, swords, gauntlets and chakrams. Like in all good BTAs, you'll have to carefully analyze the enemies' moves if you want to survive, and it's quite fast-paced too. Many sequences will have you ride the dragon. Those ones are far from gimmicky as there's a whole gameplay behind it. I can fly and keep onto the ground, in both cases the dragon's attacks vary. Surprisingly, when flying you have to manage your altitude with X. Every boss fight is done on the dragon's back and each one involve a new strategy. You also have a bunch of sidequests that are actually mini-challenges that put you against the clock. Others consist in some series of colosseum fights in which you'll need serious knowledge of the bestiary.

The general atmosphere of the game is terrific : chapter 0 begins very intensely and the game in general gives adrenaline rushes. Zero and Mikael are constantly making fun of each other, despite the massacre they do. It's purely funny, there is nothing serious in the story. It looks like some long-running manzai in which Zero keeps complaining about everything and everyone while the others make fun of her. Drakengard 3 is equally efficient as an action game than as a comedy. It's still extremely violent, as limbs fly and Zero is drenched in blood. It's precisely after a sea of blood that she can unleash her fury.

Drakengard 3 has unfortunately two sad drawbacks, that are its technical and sound performance. Level-design is ultra poor the characters' 3D models reminds you of 10 years ago. I almost wondered whether the Access Games re-used the 3D engine of Drakengard 2. I could understand if it was one of the first PS3 games, but it's kinda one of the last... and the framerate sinks horribly on quite some occasions. The OST is good, no doubt. But you actually enjoy it more or less only outside battle because there is zero emphasis during the game in itself.

A quick word on DLC : those invite you to play as Zero's sisters during one chapter focused on their own story/personality (there's also one on Zero for some reason). There are not very important in regard of the story in general, and the gameplay is the same as Zero's most of the time (only Three has the exclusivity of her scissors and associated skills). However, Two's chapter felt a little more interesting and emotional than the others. Whether you buy these or not depends on your liking of the various characters or if you just can't get enough of the game's bizarre direction. Let's stress that there are quite a few trophies to be earned here.

Although it's nothing like a Ninja Gaiden or a Bayonetta, Drakengard 3 is a very good third way to enjoy an action game. The irresistible personality that springs from it makes it a fine choice for Japanese games fans.
  19. Jun 7, 2014
    Pros-

Cons: Charatcters is irritating as hell, graphics is like a ps2 game...story is ugly thisis one of the worst game in the world i ever played...
    NIER was 100% better game...
  20. May 25, 2014
    Pros: It has a unique story and characters. The aerial battles on a dragon are fun/original. Controls feel pretty responsive. Pull off combos and swap between weapon types on the fly.

Cons: Graphics (looks like someone coloured outside the lines during cutscenes). Frame-rate problems. Camera angles while playing can make it hard to see what's going on (mostly when there are many enemies
    on the field).

Other (Can be pro or con, depending on your taste): Fast-paced Hack and Slash gameplay. Just a menu where you choose which mission you want to take (not open world, but you can go back and retry missions to level up).

Bottom line: The humour, gameplay, and story won't be for everyone, but, if you're into hack & slash games and don't mind humour that's a bit on the dark and odd side, this game would definitely be worth checking out at a lower price or if they fix some of the technical problems with an update.
  21. May 26, 2014
    Scored it its average, as have not played it. I just felt moved to comment on the critic who condescendingly and patronisingly claims that 'games like this inevitably get mixed scores a some do not understand it.." Classic opinionated elitism at play. The reality is that people said the same thing about Prometheus, which was actually quite a dumb, uninvolving and poorly-written film in disguise as a good one, but many thought others did not like it like they did, due to 'not getting it'.. a spurious assessment designed to forgive the 'liking' of the critic, not the 'disliking' of those who can choose (and have) to feel how they naturally feel about something and therefore accurately judge it accordingly.
    Here we have more critics, some overtly and starkly, claiming if anyone does not like it, it is because they did not get it. Um, you liked it clearly, explain why, do not just say that poeple who did not like it know nothing and are not the agents of their own destiny in terms of what they enjoy the experience of. They are not you.... they do not have to like it just 'cos you did. Be more secure. And what makes you think it is not just another Prometheus... acceptable to you and your comparatively more easily pleased brain/heart, and simply not liked by those who do not like it due to it being beneath them but over your head? Dude.... people like what they like. If it was universally appealing it would be universally liked. Wow... another 'critic' displaying that critics are not really the best thinkers or students of film/art... they are just those who could handle doing it 24/7 and/or felt cornered into 'teaching' the rest of us about the topic who are apparently experts on, but the field in which no one wanted to employ you or work with you.
    Also, maybe those who gave it a poor review did so because story is not the be and end all of a game. It could be argued that it is not even the most essential part of a film or a book, though these two formats clearly have higher demands of story than a game... many of us are more worried about gameplay, performance, graphics and sound, since most stories (and especially their delivery, apart from, but including in its premise, The Last of Us) are derivative and people in games often live/play their own story... their style and approach IS the story... the rest is just skip scenes that dupe the small-minded and are generic as all hell in 99% of cases, and are just scenes which you flick past with the controller to get back to what matters.
    Thus, ironically, many of the bad review are probably just ones that said, "story is great, but so what!?" In other words, you miss the point and criticize users and 'negative' reviewers for getting it. In the gaming world, the delivery mechanism, gameplay and other things are far more pressing... unless basic, heard it all before stories capture your attention so much, that apparently this is all you need. I mean, buy Bad Jelly the Witch or read Scenes Behind the Museum or something? If you are actively talking up game story-telling and its importance over all other aspects, when books and films exist.. I pity you. You have missed the point.
  22. Jun 22, 2014
    despite some technical issues, this ia a really good game. the story is great, with good characters, and decent voice acting. the gameplay is fun, and there are many weapons with varying move-sets for each. graphically the cut scenes are beautiful, and the in game graphics are pretty good as well. the only problems i had were some slow downs in big battles, and texture loading times.
  23. May 28, 2014
    Despite the graphics and camera-problems, Drakengard 3 is a fully enjoyable game. Jokes are funny, the dragon is cute and the story is interesting. Do we need more than that?
  24. Jun 27, 2014
    Just EPIC.
    If you want to feel real emotions, this game is for you.
    But if you like only, "graphic" and other superficial things, go play your AAA games, so you don't have to bother about story or that you are playing the same crappy game year after year!

1. A technically troubled, budget production that tries to compensate with gore and 'edgy' characters that are ultimately obnoxious. [August 2014, p79]
  2. Jun 29, 2014
    It also has some of the dullest combat you ever did see. [Aug 2014, p.78]
    Combat is fun, but storyline confuses and gameplay is repetitive.