7.5

1. Sep 24, 2011
    The demo must have been some kind of early build of the game, since I bought the game not long after release, and let me tell you, the full version way better for reasons that seemed to be immediately obvious. For one, the game is one of the most entertaining arcade style driving games I have played since Burnout Paradise. The thing is, this game is kind of a mix between Burnout Paradise and the first 2 PS1 Driver titles. You have the story, and the different missions that you need to do (such as follow, reach the point, getting chased, and needing to wreck the opposing driver, and so on), only with a Burnout Paradise sort of style. The environment (a re-imagined sort of remake of San Francisco and some parts of neighboring Counties) is open world. While it may not be an accurate recreation of San Francisco, it is accurate enough to be familiar, and a blast to drive through. Scattered throughout the streets, are various races, and stunts that you can accept and perform for bonus cash credit. Now this cash credit is used to purchase everything from more cars (to use for various races and stunts, as well as your garage storage) to extra abilities. While you way need lots of cash credit in order to purchase things throughout the game, it is nice to know that it is very easy to ears, as you are paid for doing just about any kind of aggressive maneuver in this game.

Now, the physics may not be completely realistic, which is a slight disappointment for hardcore Driver fans, the good is the fact that the physics work alongside the arcade style direction that this game decided to head in. This game is all about entertainment, and is succeeds at this admirably. Once you start to understand the game, and once you begin to understand exactly why things are the way they are, everything just seems to work, and work well. Sure, it may have a few rough spots from time to time, but honestly, you will be having such a blast playing this game that you probably won't care. The inclusion of real cars is fantastic, as you start to get a feel for how each and every car performs differently. Plus, they all sound different and distinctive, which is all great for car enthusiasts. Basically, I consider this one of those rare games, that might not win you over with movie like story presentation, and might not win you over with "game of the year" material, but it succeeds so well at entertaining you, and with that, you can't help but to respect it for the fact that it accomplishes exactly what all video games should do, that we all too often forget: simply being fun to play. In a time when video games seem to be trying their hardest to become films, we have a game that goes back to the roots of what made gaming fun in the first place.
  2. Oct 11, 2011
    First of, this game has been TRULY underrated !. I did not buy this game at launch, because i had my doubts, but looking back, i should have bought it at launch. This game is really fun to play, the graphics are truly amazing ! The game also runs incredibly smooth and fluid on a constant 60 Fps, which is very rare in this current generation of consoles...Sadly. (There are only a handful of games on Ps3 that run on 60Fps like; most Call of Duty's, GT 5, Ratchet & Clank series, Wipeout HD, Rage, Mortal Kombat & SF, Mini Ninjas, and maybe a couple more.) To me game play comes first, then the frame rate, and after that, graphics and sound. So to me, Driver San Fransisco was a real treat, running with these stunning graphics, on 60 fps. The car handling is also great, the handling is tight, and the response is great. Driver SF also manages to capture the feel and vibe of the first Driver game very nicely, and still manages to have it's face of it's own. When i started playing it, i could not let it go, and kept on going, first the main missions, but also the side missions and challenges that came available, i really had fun with it, and hours just flew by. The music in Driver SF is also superb, and fits the game really well ! The sound effect are also nice, and sound "crispy". The multiplayer has been created very well also, there are a lot of different modes, and are just very fun to play. To me personally, a little less shifting in the multiplayer mode would be nice, they should have limited the amounts of shifts you can get / use, but that's just my personal opinion. All & all Driver San Fransisco is a true gem, which has been truly underrated, please don't hesitate, and buy this game if you like driving games, i still really enjoy it ! Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2011
    I bought this game because it was $40 and I was familiar with the first Driver games on Playstation. Many compare this game to Burnout Paradise, but I feel it is much closer to Test Drive Unlimited 2. The online component reminds me of online racing on GT4-crash and bash through traffic. Driver has 140 licensed cars. All of the traffic in the city is real cars, unlike most city driving games that have "boxy" looking generic cars. This lends an air of realism to the game. Plowing into a Neon doing 150 mph. The physics also beat out TDU2's. As do the graphics and the sound.

I ended up grinding through the single player mode, to be honest, kind of getting bored at the end and being let down by the conclusion (10 hours tops) then jumped to multiplayer. Multiplayer is where it is at on this game. The system uses hoppers where the computer randomly selects the tracks and cars. You can play an hour without seeing the same thing twice because of the scope of the city and variety of tracks. The pursuit mode is awesome and really comes unglued when there are six players as police chasing an old muscle car.

I downloaded the Forza 4 demo to check out and was back to multiplayer driver in 20 minutes. After racing through city traffic these past couple weeks, I just don't know if circuit racing can hold my interest again. I find myself smiling ear to ear playing Driver San Francisco. The game is just fun.

The only things I really hate about the game is there is no custom button settings-you must pick from 3 preset arrangements, online lobbies are capped at 8 players, and there is no support for the XBOX steering wheel.
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    absolutly amazing, this is one of the best games i have ever played (behind gta 4), story line is long and differant, every mission is differant which is good as sometimes they are repeated, graphics amazing, and one of the best things about this game is its outstanding selection of cars... you have the weird and wonderful, my favourite is the dodge charger r/t........... 100000000000000000000000000 out of 10 for me Expand
  5. Jan 7, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the troubled past of this franchise. Driver:San Francisco should be considered the premier online racing experience. The story is mostly over-the-top but there is plenty to enjoy. The dialogue is very funny, the missions are pretty unique and I never once felt confined to the car. This game is polished beyond anything you would expect from this franchise or Ubisoft for that matter. The online action is intense and fun. There are many different types of matches that will be sure to give you something you enjoy. The online community is not as robust as it was at launch but you can hardly blame the developers for that. Don't overlook this game. Gran Turismo, Need For Speed, Forza and the lot could learn a few things from this game. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2011
    The game is brilliant. its an excellent driving game with lots of varied missions, hundreds of real world cars and one huge open world city to explore. It has a really decent story mode which i think is extremely well presented with good characters, its long but not overly so, it gives you story recaps like TV shows do. this games real ace up its sleeve is the shift mechanic, no other driving game has this and its a really excellent innovation, giving fresh game-play opportunities. basically at the touch of a button you can ghost cam out of your car and into anyone else's car and takeover. This is now probably my favourite arcade racer, id rate it above games like midnight club la and burnout, i have only played the first driver game in the series and none since, so ive no idea how different it is to them. There is multplayer in the game too which i have not tried, and a movie director mode too. Im still busy completing all the side missions just now, probably wont have the time for the director mode, and have never really got into multiplayer driving games anyways. very worthy game and its going cheap too. Expand
  7. Apr 22, 2012
    Lets keep this simple...... ITS A LOT OF FUN!!!!! The gameplay and being able to truly drive through the streets of San Francisco is awesome. Really accurate map and the realism of the car you drive is so much fun. Jumping from a sportscar to a bus to a taxi to an 18-wheeler. Its cool how the cars give different drag. Its just fun smashing all those cars!
  8. Dec 2, 2012
    I've played this game for over a year and have recently traded it in so I can buy Madden 13. All I can say is: what was I thinking? Yes, they're two completely different genres, but looking back at Driver: San Francisco, the game was really, really fun.

The driving in that game felt really responsive; as long as you've played driving games before, you won't have any problem with this
    game. The story was short, but sweet. I won't ruin what happens in the story for you if you haven't heard what the game was life, but there is a unique gameplay feature that really makes this game stand out from other driving games; which what makes up part of the core of the gameplay. The actual games runs pretty smooth on the PS3; it's not 60 FPS but it's pretty close. Even with that, the visuals look pretty slick which is what you expect from a Ubisoft games on consoles. *cough* PC haters *cough* -.- Anyway...

The missions were full of variety (at least in the story) and were challenging when needed be. There are plenty of side-missions and challenges through the map you're driving on that will give you currency to buy cars of strait up unlock them for completing them. There's definitely replay-ability in the game and there is New Game Plus available. Going back on cars, there are a over-abundance of vehicles to choose from. And they're not just sports cars or supercars. You can drive street cars, trucks, heavy trailers, a minivan, and a dune buggy, which at first was hard to drive, but became very fun to use; especially offroad. Combining that with the dozens of dozens of side quest, which some can become seriously challenging, could add on hours and hours of playability in this game. There are also movie-type challenges in the game pertaining to different driving movies that took place in San Francisco like Bullit, Vanishing Point, Blues Brothers (i think), Dukes of Hazard, and my favorite: Gone in 60 Seconds. I maybe young, but I know alot of great driving movies.

There are several online features such as leaderboards for the challenges. You can share video clips and images via Facebook and Twitter as well as on Ubisoft forums. There is multiplayer in game with general races, but then there are some unique game modes like Tag or Slipstream where you have to tailgate a Delorean (the car from Back to the Future) for a certain amount of time. Then there are team based modes such as Blitz where you have to attack the enemy base with cars or Capture the Flag, stuff like that. Unfortunately, at this moment, the online is pretty much dead. Why? Not many people bought this game which is pretty upsetting. :(

There are some negatives to the game, though. The PS3 (slim) version in particular seems to crash every once a while for no reason. Like I said, the Campaign was roughly around five and a half hours long for me. So yes you can finish it within a game sitting. There are also a couple of odd glitches. There is car damage and health in the games, yet sometimes when I hit a bus at full speed, I'll take little damage from impact; visually it'll still show, but it's health would barely be affected. There's also a glitch on 360 I've heard that the steering wheel in the **** view would be bugging out; it'll almost look like the wheel would be "floating". However, these are just mere small annoyances that don't really affect gameplay besides the damage glitch which only happens offline might I add.

The time I bought the game was about a few weeks after the game came out and it was already $30. To be honest, that was pretty much the best value I've ever gotten out of a game by far (besides Skyrim; though I think it's impossible at this point to top it). The game does need an online pass to access the online features, though at this point in time, there's not really a point. You can buy the game used pretty cheap and it's well worth the package. I'd say this is even better than Most Wanted- A Criterion Game. Please, give this game a whirl. You won't regret it like me trading it in for Madden 13. :(
  9. Jan 13, 2013
    As much as I may sound a little critical on some parts here, the game itself was amazing. It had am amazing story line to it and I am so glad I bought it. If you are into driving-type games, buy this one. I do have some critical parts here, as much as it is like the original drivers before, "Driv3r" was much better on the Playstation 2, where you could get out of the car, rundown someone on a football field, and drive away. But, that's not what the game is about. The campaign was absolutely amazing, and had a really nail-biting twist to it. If you have loved previous Driver games, I highly recommend you buy this one. Expand

1. Oct 24, 2011
    Driver is a well made game and even though I sometimes got bored of doing side missions, overall it was better than I expected. It's a good addition to the series and shifting is a pretty cool feature that maybe not all people will like, but you'll just have to see for yourself.
  2. Still, minor annoyances keep Driver from being stellar: some areas of the city must be unlocked via story progression, fishtailing is occasionally over-the-top and loathsome during races and chases, and Shift is inexplicably limited during certain missions. [Nov 2011, p.81]
  3. If you've ever wanted to drive through a chain link fence. If you've ever accelerated towards a speedhump instead of slowing down for it. If you've ever thought going through a corner sideways would look a hell of a lot cooler than bumbling through it like a normal schmuck. If you've ever thought any of those things, play this game without delay. [October 2011 p69]