7.7

1. Aug 13, 2013
    Ignore the "critic" reviews. This game is a gem to anyone who played and was a fan of the original "DuckTales" on the NES. Most the "critic" reviews come from people who are 18-24 years old and didn't grow up with the game. Most complain about "corny" jokes, bad controls and a simple storyline, guess what? That was DuckTales!

As far as gameplay, it's exactly like the original but really

As far as gameplay, it's exactly like the original but really nails the core mechanics of the game while also introducing the player to a true DuckTales story line. It handles the EXACT same way as the original game, so don't expect to use the joystick to maneuver yourself. The game is actually challenging offering only four hearts/3 lives per stage. If you die, you go back to the map selection screen.

Overall for $15, this game is worth it. Buy it.
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    Anything lower than a 7 for this game is rubbish. It's absolutely gorgeous, the music is wonders to the ears, and most importantly, this game is a fun platformer!

If you grew up with 8-bit games, you'll know what it's like to have a life system that means restarting a level from scratch. This game has one of those systems. There are no checkpoints. As soon as you run out of lives it's back to the beginning of the stage. It's challenging, but can also be frustrating when you've nearly completed a stage only to restart from the beginning.

The game is an enjoyable improvement over the original thanks to the new inclusion of cutscenes and developed story. By the time you get to the final boss it feels like you've actually been on an adventure, and one that feels like an actual episode of Ducktales. However, dialogue can interrupt the game a tad too much, resulting in you skipping cutscenes constantly on you're second and third playthroughs.

Replayablity wise, you can unlock character art, sketches, music etc and a Hard and Extreme mode for those who want to get the most out of the game. Completion wise it took me 4 hours straight to complete on my first run.

If you like old school platformers, the original 8-bit game, or Ducktales in general you will absolutely love this game. That Gamespot review/score is pure rubbish.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    My short review....
    I played DuckTakes Remastered for the first time last night. I played for roughly 2 hours, 20 minutes of which was listening to the title music looped over and over. Man, I love what they did with the music in this game!
    To be honest I didn't play the NES version too much, by 1989 I had moved on to 16-bit consoles and missed out on some classics like this. The
    My short review....

To be honest I didn't play the NES version too much,

The controls....
    are spot on. I know some people were reporting issues with getting the pogo to work, but it worked great for me (both analog and digital pad)

The graphics....
    are incredibly detailed and animated very well. Exactly how it should look.

The voice acting...
    is excellent. If you remember the cartoon you will recognize the voice of Scrooge McDuck, as well as a few others. Some of the things he says are genuinely funny. Especially the dialog between Scrooge and Launchpad.

The music...
    is incredible! I expected it would be with the excellent original NES OST being handled by Jake Kaufman (Shantee Risky's Revenge, Contra 4, Double Dragon Neon). He also nailed the Moon level music.

Overall it's a great platformer, albeit a bit short. In just the 2 hours I cleared all but the last level. It does have some replayability to it though. By collecting diamonds and saving up diamonds you can buy character artwork (which looks really nice by the way), along with storyboards, and even the music tracks. I will definitely play enough to unlock the music.

It gives you a great feeling of nostalgia and is a joy to play. I highly recommend it.
    I bought it on sale for $11.99 (PSN Plus sale), but I'd feel good about it if I had spent $15 as well.

Now I'm looking forward to Castle of Illusion HD and the new Strider game. Bring 'em on!
  4. Aug 14, 2013
    Even better than I remembered it. The same platforming genius, the same mechanics, the same music, simply with better sprites. The added story elements, all done in the style of the TV show with even some of the same voice actors, shows that this game was remade with love. Highly recommended for old school awesomeness.
  5. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is superbly redone. I'm having so much fun reliving a game that as a child, I just never go to beat. The game looks fantastic and brings back so many memories from my childhood. I wasn't almost in tears thinking about back when I was 7 years old and how easy life was and all I cared about was Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers.....growing up sucks but this game will bringThis game is superbly redone. I'm having so much fun reliving a game that as a child, I just never go to beat. The game looks fantastic and brings back so many memories from my childhood. I wasn't almost in tears thinking about back when I was 7 years old and how easy life was and all I cared about was Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers.....growing up sucks but this game will bring something back to you. Expand
  6. Aug 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing i thought it would be ruined in the remake but the graphics were great but not overly HD and the music was just fantastic if you can get a hold of this game i definitely recommend it

Full Walk through if anyone's interested i love what they did with the music still as awesome as it was back in the day
  7. Aug 18, 2013
    Just played it and it's fun if a bit easy, but I don't mind since I'm not exactly platformer god.

This is an excellent remake and I want more of these. It's true to the original game and for me it's a good thing. It controls (mostly) good, sprites look fantastic, music is great and overall it's a fun game. My only complaints are somewhat unpolished 3d backgrounds and controls doing

My only complaints are somewhat unpolished 3d backgrounds and controls doing half-pogos (releasing pogo to limit jump height, then pogoing again) feels more difficult then in original game. Nothing game-breaking though.
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    A classic is reborn with Ducktails Remastered! Amazing hand drawn animations, killer voice acting that brings you back to the experience as if you were living in the 90's again, watching a brand new episode of the show, and knowing the fact that the original voice cast came back, makes this game even sweeter! The game is coated with classic challenges similar to the original NES versionA classic is reborn with Ducktails Remastered! Amazing hand drawn animations, killer voice acting that brings you back to the experience as if you were living in the 90's again, watching a brand new episode of the show, and knowing the fact that the original voice cast came back, makes this game even sweeter! The game is coated with classic challenges similar to the original NES version and music that matches up well to it's predecessor. The ONLY thing that put this game at a halt was the fact that the cut scenes are really over done. First time around, they're okay, and fun to watch, but second time knowing you need to skip each one over and over really kills it fast. While it's a minor problem, the game is solid beyond expectations. Capcom, Disney, thank you, and a special thank you to WayForward games! Expand
  9. Sep 11, 2013
    Duck Tales Remastered is a present to old gamers. You can finally return to the greatness of old school platform games. Wayforward has just upgrade everything: graphic, music, story, but haven't changed anything. If you're an old gamer, this game is a masterpiece. If you're a new gamer, you may be fascinated by the colors, the music and the difficulty of the game.
  10. Sep 19, 2013
    For me, it's very hard to rate this lower than 10. I don't really understand the criticism. Either you like NES-games, or you don't I guess. This game plays exactly like the old one, but adds enough to make it fresh and modern. The music is insanely great in this version, and the graphics are incredible. The voices and the story is perfectly fitting and gives the game some depth. AddFor me, it's very hard to rate this lower than 10. I don't really understand the criticism. Either you like NES-games, or you don't I guess. This game plays exactly like the old one, but adds enough to make it fresh and modern. The music is insanely great in this version, and the graphics are incredible. The voices and the story is perfectly fitting and gives the game some depth. Add trophies and some unlockables, and you can't go wrong for $15. But seriously, I had more fun with this game than I've had with some $50 games and I would gladly pay that. This beats modern platforming games by a million times this is from the golden age of gaming, just in a modern suit! I love it! Expand
  11. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a Solid 9. Anything Bellow an 8.5 or an 8 does it a huge injustice. I really really enjoyed this game, the boss fights, the money and all the art that helps you explore the behind-the-scenes making of the game. It doesn't have a ton of replay value, but you'll enjoy the hell out of it.
  12. Aug 23, 2013
    Love it. Make more DuckTales games! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  13. Sep 1, 2013
    [From The Global Marketeer]

[From The Global Marketeer]

Musical earbugs and great TV shows aside, DuckTales is best remembered as a 1989/1990 video game developed and published by Capcom for the Nintendo Entertainment System and Gameboy. Known for its five expansive levels, Nintendo Hard difficultly, and legendary soundtrack, the game was a smash hit and received great reception at the time, such as from video game magazines Electronic Gaming Monthly and Mean Machines.

Nearly 24 years later, the game returns in the form of a remaster by WayForward Technologies; a hi-def polishing of the music, environment, and sprites; as well as adding new things such as cutscenes done by the original TV voice cast, unlockable concept art, and redesigned levels made for the current generation of consoles/PCs. The game’s download size, less than a gigabyte across the board, makes it a quick and easy download to your gaming system, regardless of platform.

The first recognizable addition to the remaster of DuckTales is the introduction level that takes place in Duckburg mansion, under siege by the Beagle Boys. Through this level, WayForward does a good job at explaining the backstory behind the video game as opposed to the original, which left it up to the player to formulate.

The plot mediates on a race between the Ducks and the Beagles to obtain various pieces of treasure. At first; it seems logical, but then the story begins to drift and eventually form holes when the Beagle Boys were nowhere to be found on levels such as The Amazon or in the African Mines, yet plentiful on The Moon and in Transylvania.

Nonetheless, the cutscenes are almost always appreciated the first time around. After that, however, it would really help to have a “press X” to skip option instead of having to go to the pause screen every time thereafter.

DuckTales’ noted difficulty setting is one of spectacle; the ‘medium’ difficulty system is probably not what you expect, depending on how much AAA games you might play. Instead of simplifying the game to cater to a more casual audience, its difficulty is roughly the same as the original (and NES games in general); that is, each setting is arguably a step ahead of today’s games. For the medium setting, it’s three hits and you’re dead, two deaths and the level resets (not counting pickups).

There is a lot of trial and error and the game could easily be likened to Dark Souls or Winnie The Pooh’s Home Run Derby. Despite this, the game is for the most part fair, although in some sections (such as the mine shaft section in African Mines) it can be a brutally difficult experience by not letting you go left enough, plunging you to your death even after all of that hard work you spent getting that far.

The game’s treasures (both in the literal sense and the figurative sense) are scattered throughout the level, and it pays off to explore every crevice available to you in the game and then some. It is even possible to obtain an extra bar of life (or two), depending on where you search.

The sound design of this game is outstanding. From the background music of The Moon and The Amazon, to the climbing of ropes, to even hitting a block with your pogo stick, it all sounds spectacular. Although the age starts to show in the voice cast, they perform their lines faithfully and with the same DuckTales flair as the TV show.

Despite minor flickering issues, the game plays fine on the PC and has never crashed on me. It’s what a Day 1 purchase should play like, as opposed to a Bethesda-like assortment of glitches and bugs. The enemy AI isn’t wonky and, spiders aside, all of them are easy to deal with or to get past.

DuckTales is a flawed gem with a lovable cast and a forgettable story. The latter is made up by a good soundtrack and good gameplay, and experienced gamers shouldn’t be too conspicuous about this title. It’s a challenge, but a very rewarding one. In that regard, it’s a great game and definitely worth the $15 (or less) retail price.

1. Seven. Seven times we sat through the entire opening sequence, whistling the Ducktales theme song along like a deranged school boy, before pressing the start button. But that doesn't mean we also want to sit through the boring new cut scenes in this remake. [September p.92]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    The game is short, but its price is corresponding to that so there is no reason not to try it.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Duck Tales Remastered is for the most part very much like the original. The graphics have been updated and so has the audio quality. The controls and level design are still the same which is both positive as well as negative. They hold up somewhat but feel mostly old and trite. Which makes Duck Tales Remastered a game foremost for those nostalgic and prepared for a lot of frustration.