6.9

1. Jun 20, 2013
    I have greatly enjoyed the D and D series. There is nothing more exhilarating and more satisfying than slapping the living soul out of a Kobold as the Cleric or slashing a goblin as a Warrior. These ganes stick true to the arcade RPG makeup. The game is a near perfect port, and reigns king of the fantasy arcade games.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    The game is a near perfect port, and reigns king of the fantasy arcade games. Realistic graphics and exhaustively. Atmosphere is somber, but surprisingly beautiful. Beautiful and lifelike design world. The top level of the design industry. Including characters created out perfectly. Particularly related to the players, featuring a withdrawal, not more.
  3. Jun 21, 2013
    [Played the Steam version, excuse me for posting in the wrong section]
    [Played the Steam version, excuse me for posting in the wrong section]
    Took the effort to make an account on metacritic, because I felt cheated by the current reviews. I guess most of the reviews of the so-called "critics" are written by fan boys. Although the overlay interface is very well finished I can't see the fun in this outdated side-scrolling beat 'm up. After two hours of playing these are the things that annoy me the most:
    - If one player uses magic, all the others stay locked in place for 2 seconds
    - Item selection is dreadful Magic user have a limited number of [ranged] attacks
    - You can use a slide attack which is annoyingly hard to pull of with my xbox controller, but otherwise there is a very low variety in attacks. Just bash the a-button.
    - You feel like a turtle when playing this game after you enjoyed Castle Crashers

Summary:
    Pick up a copy of Castle Crashers and don't pay for this dust. If you're bored with CC, look for a copy of Streets of Rage Remake
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    This is a great port of a great classic game. It brings back memories of those days of putting quarter after quarter into the arcade machine. This game is one of the absolute pinnacles of the side scrolling beat-em-up genre, and this version lives up to that. I would not recommend this to gamers who don't have the taste for old-school-beat-em-ups though as these games are very simple byThis is a great port of a great classic game. It brings back memories of those days of putting quarter after quarter into the arcade machine. This game is one of the absolute pinnacles of the side scrolling beat-em-up genre, and this version lives up to that. I would not recommend this to gamers who don't have the taste for old-school-beat-em-ups though as these games are very simple by modern standards. But for me it fit the bill perfectly. As for the haters below, I don't know what they were expecting since they seem to be arguing to drastically change the original game, which defeats the point of this port in the first place! Definitely recommend playing with a gamepad or classic joystick, not a keyboard. Collapse
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    At lest, to use word 'rework', Capcom, please show me any improvement in game.
    Nothing has changed compare to arcade version of this game which had made in more than 10 years ago.
  6. Nov 17, 2014
    Two classic arcade games make their way onto the PS3. While some old-school game design does get in the way, I still had an absolute blast hacking and slashing my way through hoards of awesome fantasy creatures. It's even more fun when you get some friends to join you.

Overall both games are very brief, but provided you like the gameplay enough it can have replay value. At least until you unlock everything. Not every aspect of the gameplay has aged well, but overall I found it still solid enough to provide a fun, if in my case disposable, experience. Due to its age it's not going to please everyone, but fans of old-school games or just those looking for a fun, fantasy co-op experience should give this one a look. My total score for it is a 7.5/10.
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    Kind of "meh". It's a nice trip down the nostalgia road but... where is everybody? It appears no one is playing it so it gets really boring to play it alone. But it's a nice game to have and remember the old days. It's not a remake (just a shy revamp) and, honestly, there's not much to say. A medieval beat'em up just like the ones we had on the arcade. Fun to play with friends, kind ofKind of "meh". It's a nice trip down the nostalgia road but... where is everybody? It appears no one is playing it so it gets really boring to play it alone. But it's a nice game to have and remember the old days. It's not a remake (just a shy revamp) and, honestly, there's not much to say. A medieval beat'em up just like the ones we had on the arcade. Fun to play with friends, kind of dull to play alone. I could not find other players, not even once. If I had and had at least one session with 3 other players I'd give it a 7. Expand
  8. Jun 25, 2013
    I adored the predecessor of this game. The story was intense, the gameplay was fun, and a lot more... but what did I get with this game? The worst one of the worst disappointments in my gaming life (for exclusives). Seriously Capcom, why do you always disappoint your customers with these games? First, you ruin the RE saga, then you make Dead Rising, which was okay, OKAY... Please Capcom,I adored the predecessor of this game. The story was intense, the gameplay was fun, and a lot more... but what did I get with this game? The worst one of the worst disappointments in my gaming life (for exclusives). Seriously Capcom, why do you always disappoint your customers with these games? First, you ruin the RE saga, then you make Dead Rising, which was okay, OKAY... Please Capcom, try to make the next game good, I am pretty sure your games are not bad. Remember; you're CAPCOM! You're a legendary company, you can make better! Expand
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    Played the demo, and I was not impressed. Essentially, 'Chronicles of Mystara' is a fantasy adventure side-scroller with retro appeal. I am not a fan of most side-scrolling console games. Forgive me if I seem to lack an appreciation of video game history, but I need the immersive depth of 3D to enjoy most console games. I agree with the previous comments of user Chloroform. Fanboy criticsPlayed the demo, and I was not impressed. Essentially, 'Chronicles of Mystara' is a fantasy adventure side-scroller with retro appeal. I am not a fan of most side-scrolling console games. Forgive me if I seem to lack an appreciation of video game history, but I need the immersive depth of 3D to enjoy most console games. I agree with the previous comments of user Chloroform. Fanboy critics of the arcade games or of the Sega Saturn itself need a serious wakeup call. Perhaps, for what it is, the game might satisfy the expectations of its players, but as I had no prior knowledge of the game, I thought that it might have played more similarly to one of the BioWare D&D games. Nope. Caveat emptor: play the demo before you buy it. Expand
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    OK before i start with the rant, here is a short disclaimer for anybody in new generations of gamers who have not been blessed with seeing and playing this game on Arcade Machines at the time of its release. This title has been EPiC among all gamers and Arcades in the world, a fight against a necromancer withstanding a trial of time, a game offering a great visceral gameplay and beautifulOK before i start with the rant, here is a short disclaimer for anybody in new generations of gamers who have not been blessed with seeing and playing this game on Arcade Machines at the time of its release. This title has been EPiC among all gamers and Arcades in the world, a fight against a necromancer withstanding a trial of time, a game offering a great visceral gameplay and beautiful hand drawn sprite graphics. D&D unmatched by name, by TSR brand and definitely unmatched by all "new xbox-live indie games" (i own xbox and buy all the titles on marketplace as well as PS3 so i have an easily comarable cross-platform experience). if it has not been, it would not have been re-released by CAPCOM right? right?

Well, not really. This release is one more out of countless examples that show how little thought the corporations give to "porting" the old games. This blatant outrageously sloppy release (many thought to be Capcom's reaction to coming soon Dragon's Crown) has not even minimum but absolutely NO effort being put into it.
    Capcom is already renown among ios users for hideous ports of his games while at the same time demanding for them prices high above itunes average. These games have worse joystick emulation EVER (coming from the arcade games corporation of long standing history mind you) and look hideous on ipads and iphones alike absent of any filters and special effects.
    The temerity of Capcom is incomprehensive as they release afterwards a "vip" versions of the previous failures at even higher prices supposedly promising a better performance and looks (the most important thing in such a game namely controls is still pitiful, take example from CAVE or TAiTO who put great effort into creating a home brew touch controls system which perfectly emulaties joystick controls).
    Needles to say, after witnessing years after years of games which clearly only purpose is to MiLK the audience and suck a few more out of their pocket with NO effort from the corporate machine whatsoever, still i think that Capcom's "D&D" is the one which so brutally showcases these shady dealings.

Back to the subject i brooded about in the disclamier. I had hUUUUUge expectations toward this game, but don't misunderstand me i would be happy with anything if properly done. My expectations were rather coming from my belief that in spite of witnessing a sh!tstorm of blatant ports this one will be special, MUST be special and will not be mistreated by Capcom. There were also 2 more facts behind my reasoning:
    1. this incredibly expensive retail special edition of the game http://www.play-asia.com/Dungeons_Dragons_Mystara_Eiyuu_Senki_Limited_Edition-paOS-13-49-en-70-6ml3.html
    2. the name of the games itself being a mix of names from two original games: "chonicles of mystara". i had some wild hope of Capcom creating a special "black label" of D&D combining two games into one monstrous mashup version...

Nothing of that sort. We receive the original two games looking hideously bad on nowadays screens, devoured of any filtering available on MAME which would make a world of difference to this release. Whould it be so hard to add some reasonable graphic filters?! MAME can run this game on old Pentium 200 with shadowmask and make it looks great, lets customize controls and be amazingly playable. Whats hard in letting players SET CONTROLS instead forcing me to use arrow keys?! It's worse port EVER!
    The game looks indigestable on Playstation 3 and Steam alike. The final straw are the FiXED controls and the player being forced to play with ARROW KEYS. (for fvkcs sake!!!!)
    This is a sad day but also important one marking my awakening to the realisation of corporate greed. The recipe for success taking the old game and branding it as a remake after slapping some "achievements" on it has just stopped working in my case. And hopefully also in yours. Thats also a reason why i give this "port" a zero, because of zero effort put into creating it and "innovating" the release in a blandest way imaginable achievements.

vote with your wallet and let capcom rot in hell
  11. Sep 9, 2013
    I loved this port, but they would apply graphic enhancement, live(In arcade, you have infinite lives), and a challenger mode.
    The price is very expensive, this is bad for new public. Most of the player are from old generation, no new bloods.
    probably no innovations in next patches, it's a bad part of the port. It's very very very fun play with yours friends, and if you and yours friends
    probably no innovations in next patches, it's a bad part of the port.
    It's very very very fun play with yours friends, and if you and yours friends are fã of D&D, probaly this game will live in your hearth forever xD
  12. Nov 13, 2014
    Really cool fantasy 2 in 1 package - Tower of Doom and Shadows over Mystara. Amazing return of the oldschool arcade beat them up genre. Suddenly I felt 20 years younger as I played the cult classic Golden Axe in the early 90's and this felt very similar. This is even deeper experience as it's based on the D&D ruleset, so you can expect anything from skills such as Cleric's Turn Undead toReally cool fantasy 2 in 1 package - Tower of Doom and Shadows over Mystara. Amazing return of the oldschool arcade beat them up genre. Suddenly I felt 20 years younger as I played the cult classic Golden Axe in the early 90's and this felt very similar. This is even deeper experience as it's based on the D&D ruleset, so you can expect anything from skills such as Cleric's Turn Undead to little details such as his inability to use sharp weapons etc. Many D&D items spells and monsters, it's good amount of fun especially in more players. The problem is that the game is designed to be coin powered and that didn't translate well to this platform. You can either restrict yourself and try to finish the game with 1 single life for the hardcore challenge, which is almost impossible, or you can simply respawn after death to your leisure, which eliminates any sign of challenge making the entire journey walk in the park. The choice is yours. 8/10 Expand
  13. Jun 28, 2013

1. A surprising, raucous, lovingly updated loot-fest. [Aug 2013, p.93]
  2. Jul 23, 2013
    One of the finest re-releases yet from Iron Galaxy and Capcom. [Issue#233, p.77]
  3. This formula may be 20-years-old but Chronicles’ gameplay is still razor sharp and the visuals are oddly endearing. To quote one of its Engrish quest-givers: please investigate into it. [August 2013, p78]