• Publisher: CCP
  • Release Date: May 14, 2013
6.2

1. May 16, 2013
    Simply put, DUST 514 tries to run before it can walk.

CCP needed to play-test and refine the FPS mechanics before adding any of the MMO elements into this game. It is now released, and the game feels like it runs at a peak of 15FPS. Meanwhile, the controls are maddening, and you feel like you're fighting the controller more than you are fighting the enemy. Add to it, a buggy, laggy,
    match interface, and extemely annoying map bugs, and you'll find yourself wanting to break your PS3, since there is no Disc to snap in half.

Currently DUST is pretty bad at what it is trying to accomplish, and CCP has failed to correctly identify and produce that which FPS gamers enjoy about their genre of choice. Most importantly, regardless of things like balance, and P2W arguments, the game fails entirely at being a decent FPS game, and this is the foundation on which everything else in the game rests on.

Conclusions:
    I personally want DUST to succeed, but as it stands, DUST doesn't even deliver on the most basic elements of FPS gameplay. Maddening controls, clunky interface, poor optimization, and broken mechanics, all serve to frustrate and work against any experienced FPS gamer. These players are very unlikely to stay, and these seem to be the target market for CCP, considering their push to release on a console.

Positives:
    -It is free.
    -The Tranquility server.
    -The potential is boundless.

Negatives:
    -Horrible, rage inducing, controls
    -Poor optimization, 15FPS is not acceptable in a modern shooter.
    -Uninspired maps, each cluttered with bugs.
    -Cut and paste CoD game modes.
    -Linear, and uninspired skill progression.
    -The free player grind.
  2. May 14, 2013
    If you are looking for a battlefield simulator look else where. This game is underwhelming and is a challenge to enjoy even when playing with friends.
    Controls for ever facet of the game is clunky and akward. There is little freedom in the game and most fights are just a subpar mix of CS and BF merged into a badly sitched together game. the game has more features than what is really
    needed forcing you to be a noob till you have had a account active long enough to catch up skill wise (they train in real time) forceing casuals to use real money to try and even the playing field.
    Look somewhere else your time will be better spent playig another game.
  3. May 14, 2013
    All the people that gave this game a 10 are going off of it's potential. A potential that has yet to be realized. Fanboys are trying there best to save the game from getting bad scores or from being seen negatively by the public the game is bad plain and simple. Besides a 10 would mean it's perfect and you and anyone else who would rate Dust a 10 are lying to yourselves so you can feel better about Dust.

While I would realistically rate this game a 6 to 7 maybe 7.5 on a good day it's core shooter mechanics are not tight at all it's a mess, graphics improved while I'm not looking for BF3 graphics this game is as poor on graphics quality as MOH:WF, frame rate never goes over 15, lag, poor hit detection.

Maps are to big for player count, maps are to big for the current weapon ranges, things don't render properly, SP takes to long to accumulate to earn better gear, game modes are uninspired and not original Skirmish is basically BF conquest, no true weapon variety all weapons with in a certain class all look the same but they do different things...

Instead of making an AR with single shot, semi auto, and full auto variants wouldn't it have been easier to make one gun with a select fire switch? They then could've focused on actually making more weapons different designs.

Lack of weapon customization! This is a big one not only does my weapon look exactly like the guys standing next to me I can't make it my own. Fitting the way I want no I'll have to wait 6 months to a year for that and this game has been in beta for 1 year but in development way longer than that things like that should be here already.

Dust has promise but it's a half baked FPS with no soul. If CCP would've tried to actually develop the game before putting it in beta it would probably be in a much better place right now! The only thing unique Dust offers is PC but who wants to fight over planets if the core of the game is sloppy?!
  4. May 15, 2013
    the postive of of this game deep customization and depth
    the negatives very gear based, very poor aim mechanics, frame rate is horrible graphics takes forever to render, poor hit detection and core gameplay sucks
  5. May 15, 2013
    This game is a poor mans FPS. Literally since it's "free" Now here is 2 major things you need to know about this game. It's free as long as you love the grind. And I mean korean mmo grind! You can shorten that grind by getting boosters, and boosters cost REAL CASH.

Now you can play the game without paying a cent. but it will take awhile to unlock anything. like EVE kinda while.
    Yup, and here's the second thing.. If you never gave a rats ass About EVE ONLINE, or found it BORING then this game will be boring to you as well.

As a FPS it's has some horrible mechanics. As a mmo. It does shine tho. Like a nerd is staples you'll love how much you can customize. EVE lore for one that cares nothing for it, will leave you playing a game thats a 4 out of 10.
  6. May 15, 2013
    The main game-play of Dust is ruined by terrible, frustrating controls. The rest of the game becomes irrelevant because it is all based around the player's ability to enjoy the FPS aspect; which is made impossible by the sluggish, syrup-like aiming mechanic. It could have been great, but potential does not make a good game.
  7. May 15, 2013
    This game is amazing its lagfree and its shooting mechanics are great. Just kidding this game is awful because it is laggy and the shooting and movement are very clunky. Not only that it is hard for new players and casuals to enjoy because they will go like 1-11 because of gear disadvatage. The only thing enjoyable about this game was the inertia dampener.

The pros: inertia dampener

The cons: everything
  8. elm
    May 15, 2013
    just horrible lack of core mechanics in shooting and just lags such a grind to win game

pros: nothing
    cons: lack luster, poor hit mechanics, you get stuck on every thing.
  9. May 15, 2013
    One of the worst shooters I've ever had the misfortune of playing. Gameplay is so bad, it makes you wonder what the eff the developers were thinking when they were making this game. How anyone can think the actual core gameplay of this game such as shooting, movement, and driving vehicles is fun and not broken is beyond me. Guess they've never played one of the approximately 3,282 other shooters on the market that are mcuh better than Dust 514. Even at the low price of "FREE", I will not be playing this game. Life is too short to waste it on really bad video games. Expand
  10. May 15, 2013
    this game flawed in some many ways the hit detection is so bad its just bad the textures takes 10 years to load paid to win concept not noob friendly and baddies look good in this game just because they get to wear op gear because this game is the most gear based game ive ever played.
  11. May 16, 2013
    Played the Beta.... tried very hard to give it a chance, hated it. Decided to download it when it came out Tuesday for free and give it a second chance (this time playing it online with my girlfriend). We both tried very hard and gave this game a fair chance to impress..... it is junk. I guess this isn't really much of a review as much as it is just an honest score. I actually did quite well too, I had many more kills than deaths and my team won most of the matches I played. No wonder the game is FREE... you get what you pay for.. or don't pay for. Expand
  12. Jul 12, 2013
    I do not know what the CCP was thinking when they made this game. I still not have a clue what they are doing now, this game is a dried turd. it spits in the face of anyone willing to try now. 2013? looking for a level fairness? Hah you can better find it elsewhere. this game is so bad it has my entire family concerned, it has literally turned me into a prick.

I warn anyone reading
    this DO NOT PLAY a game named DUST 514 Expand
  13. May 15, 2013
    this game is so bad reasons why poor gameplay hands down this game feels so broken even the worse fps made in history makes that game look 10 times better
  14. May 24, 2013
    Maybe in 10 years CCP will have finally fixed the core mechanics of this game.
    - Hit detection broken
    - Unbalanced weapons, do yourself a favor and just spec into a TAC AR.
    - SP Cap 0_0
    - You get what you pay for, F2P.
  15. Sgs
    May 26, 2013
    This game is complete and utter garbage plain and simple...There is soooo much wrong with this game I don't even know where to start really. For starters the basic shooting mechanics are laughably bad and most encounters involve players practically dancing side strafing attempting to hit each other. Most of the maps are simply far too large for 32 players granted most of them have a nice mix of open and enclosed spaces but they are simply far too large. This also leads into one of the other biggest problems gun ranges...most guns simply don't have enough range making snipers dominant. The skill system in this game is simply appalling as well after your free beginner skill points and bonus SP matches give you barely any sp almost forcing you to buy boosters from the cash shop. The game is heavily unbalanced as well players who already have highers tiers of weapons and drop suits absolutely slaughter the newer players and the climb to get a point where you can even be competitiive simply isn't worth your time. Overall this "game" if you can even call it one is a pretty half baked shooter that doesn't stand up the countless other shooters out there and the much lauded connection to EVE online is nothing but an illusion. Don't believe any review over a 5 some people are most likely trying to justify there wasted time on this garbage. It's a good thing it's free because this game isn't even worth 5 cents in its current state. Expand
  16. May 26, 2013
    hmmm where to start. DUST 514 a Shooter so incredibly unremarkable and mediocre its actually kind of extraodinary. Its as if the devs at ccp all went "hey! lets make the most boring and generic shooter we can and tie it into our anything BUT generic mmo!" yeah great idea tom! that being said the only thing you can really say about this game is "its a shooter" in a more specific tone this game is absolutely rife with bugs and the core shooting mechanics are "questionable" at best and the ingame cash shop is pretty insulting (pay to win yay!!). about the only good thing about DUST is that its free, other than that this game is mediocre or worse than mediocre in pretty much every aspect. not even worth your time Expand
  17. May 31, 2013
    My main problem is the game simply isnt fun to play. Its actually very boring & feels like a real chore to play more then a few games Terrible Lag & Frame rate which hasnt improved one bit since i first played the Beta June last year CCP keep claiming you will experience MASSIVE EPIC BATTLES well where are they?? cos i dont class 16v16 massive scale Still haven't seen the 24v24 they been hyping on about for the last year or so

From my experience CCP promise ALOT of things but never seem to go thru with them
  18. Jun 2, 2013
    Similarly to many people who have played EVE Online, I wanted this game to succeed.
    Sadly, I think that this game has failed miserably, it is a train wreck of a game...
    Surely, the persistent parts can be interesting, the character progression with new skills and new gear.
    But, it fails absurdly as an FPS game, and the graphics are horrible, it feels like it is upscaled from 320x180...

I played it with the DualShock, Move and Move Sharpshooter, so who knows, maybe it might be playable with mouse and keyboard, but I don't want to play a console game like a PC one.
  19. Jun 2, 2013
    OK, first off; I'm a long time (since 2003) eve player. I get EVE.
    This is an attempt to bring 'grond combat' to the EVE universe using many of the same rules as EVE.
    Good Idea, awful execution.

Really, at the end of the day, this is no more than 'pay as you go' UNREAL. Interaction with EVE universe is minimal. There is no great reason to 'care' about your race, team, or other
    events in the universe. There is stupid skill level limits per week, and an ongoing attempt to get you to buy their real money 'arum'; which in itself isnt bad; but overplayed here (many good items in the shop are only purchaseable this way).

There is no player driven market (unlike eve).
    There is lack of enviornment.
    There is slow load times
    There is long 'waiting' times for games to begin.

On the postiive side: There is excellent set of weapon options, and the (same as EVE) skill tree is welcome to see in a FPS. There probably is excellent potential going forward, but who knows how long this will take. (EVE Took a few years to get 'interesting'... suspect this will too).

..but at the end of the day; all actual 'gaming' is no different than UNREAL which is free to play and better executed anyways (oh yea, this uses the unreal engine, so I guess that is no surprise...).

So in summary: Great potential, horrible near term execution. This review isbased on the curent state of the game as of June 1 2013. Wish CCP well in improving this...quickly.
  20. Sep 21, 2013
    After 15 minutes I still had no idea what a hell was I doing in this game. After 20 minutes I QUIT. In my opinion this game doesn't worth all gigabytes that was required.
    Anything positive? Yes, the graphics were okay. The rest I didn't like it.
  21. May 25, 2013
    Dust 514 is like a hardcore shooter, designed as an MMO. MMO players generally aren't the type to be hardcore shooter players, and hardcore shooter players generally aren't the type to be MMO players. That's just the type of the iceberg, but I'll leave it at that.
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    This is clear proof that CCP is a one trick pony. The controls are absolutely horrible, and even the worst FPS games seem to be easier and more natural to control your player. This seems to be a horribly implemented money grab where you're supposed to have effects on some larger world, but have zero insight into it.

Free is not worth it.
  23. May 26, 2013
    Shows lots of promise (pretty to look at) and has a very novel concept (grand scale), but the fun factor gets lost in over complex systems and glitches. The controls are also not easy to get the hang of, and once you do you never loose the feeling that they are awkwardly trying to teach you some new muscle memory that you don't need or want. I feel like they were trying to be innovative with them but fell flat. Not bad for free, but not good enough to merit my very valuable time. Expand
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    Just a disappointed. Thats all I have to say.bad graphics horrible control. If sony chareged for this it will suck worse then hell.people has said that this game will beat halo, well for a bit I was afraid it will score better then halo 4, but I had absolutely nothing to worry about.
  25. May 23, 2013
    You don't rate A game by it's "potential" You don't rate what is suppose to be a FPS game by it's potential.
    And a FPS game it is. Not MMOFPS. 16Vs16 matches. you don't wonder anywhere.

And as FPS, Or I should say "PAY to ADVANCE" FPS. This game is a 7. but since so many here want to throw down 10 for "potential" .

I'll give it a 1 for FPS FAIL.
  26. May 18, 2013
    Dust 514 is like a bad politician; Lots of promises, lots of ideas, and absolutely no delivery.

CCP promised a lot of things with Dust to date it's delivered on almost nothing. Supporters will tell you to give it time ect..... but after a year of development the end result is a barely functional FPS. Aiming and frame rate are awful. The skill system is artificially complex, trying too
    hard to mirror EVE Online without considering whether that's an appropriate design decision. To date there is no player market, no PVE and a huge skills gap for a new player. The graphics are last gen at best and the art design is vanilla sci-fi. It's nominally free, but you'll need to buy boosters if a new player wants to advance at anything faster than a snail's pace. Expand
  27. May 17, 2013
    A half baked attempt to jump into the FPS market. Frustrating awkward controls, poor frame rate, graphics that look last generation. Lag and hit detection are also sub-par. This comes off very much as a poor man's FPS. Mediocre at best and a flaming wreck at worst, despite all the EVE fans trying desperately to up-rate it. Mediocrity combined with the pay to win monetization system. The touted link to EVE is really just a gimmick and that won't save this game when the core gameplay is so poor. Expand
  28. May 26, 2013
    Say what you want about the potential this game has, it makes little odds to the state it's in now. An egg has the potential to be a tasty breakfast but unless you do something with it, it's still just an egg.

The same can be said about Dust 514. As an Eve player I really liked the sound of this game when I started to watch the videos about it but it's just seriously dull.

Controls
    are awkward at best. The graphics are in line with pretty much any other bog standard shooter out there and some of the actual in game abilities are broken.

Best one I can think of is the "Nanite Injector". It's supposed to revive a fallen ally but you are lucky if you can find the correct spot to stand and activate it. Normally by then you've been killed by whoever wounded that fallen clone.

Another annoyance is that people that played from closed beta have all the skill points and wealth they have accumulated since then. So you are essentially cannon fodder for this guys.
  29. Jun 2, 2013
    Terrible FPS based on a broken-but-beautiful MMO.

It's hard to understand what the logic was here with CCP Games a few years ago when they decided to embark on making another game other than the only game they had ever made in 10 years; EVE Online.

CCP could have branched into tablet games, mobile games etc, or even, worked on making another MMO, which ironically they actually own
    the rights to do for the unfamiliar-to-the-man-on-the-street-vampire/supernatural-series: "World of Darkness". Anything but enter a market where the competition has years of R&D into making a decent FPS, and understand how to market it also, and are aligned with publishers who can pay for extensive marketing.

Instead they decided to embark on penetrating the most saturated and exploited genre known to gamers and directly link it into their existing game. This would be fine if the game was something akin to gaming nirvana but it's not. Far from it.

The visuals look like PS2 graphics, which if you realise the game engine used is the Unreal 3 engine, is practically unforgivable in 2013, when games released (in the same genre) two years ago look significantly better than what this 'modern' game does. Any doubters please see: Bulletstorm which also used the Unreal 3 engine. Release Date: February 2011.

Sound is a mix of blandness, lacking all quality you'd expect when firing projectile weapons; and again the competition solved these aural issues years ago for FPS. To this day I have more fear of the sound of some of the monsters in the original Quake (1996) than I do of anything I hear in this game.

'Cheap' best describes the sound, like the visuals.

Even the opening of the game has no real tutorial or 'training grounds' for new recruits. It just dumps you in a room, and then you select what you're going to do all the time with no context or meaning to any of it, or what the implications are for winning and losing. Practically a hanging offense in 2013.

CCP have got problems. Their MMO is getting weaker and thinner as each year passes due to more content additions, which diminish existing content, watering everything down; and the cost of maintaining EVE and now Dust514 will outstrip the revenue it generates which in the latter is already zero thanks to the F2P market.

Way to go CCP on making people care about your games. You alienate your existing player base by creating a new game an a platform they do not use for your existing game, and, you alienate potential new comers to your party by making one of the worst games ever. This also made your existing fans angry if they actually went out and purchased a PS3 to play this tripe.

Thankfully, the online aspect of existing FPS games more than fills in the holes which CCP attempted to plug.

Whatever genuine talent is left at CCP is suspect will now take a shower of shame, and move on, like Nathan Richardsson did, and Mike Read.
  30. Jul 8, 2013
    This game is absolutely frustrating to win there are no cover mechanics, the customization is lackluster, the "leveling up system" is confusing as hell and therefore the tutorial also fails because if you are new to this game 99.9999% of the time you will be spending it on the tutorial learning the basics of the game and that's a HUGE no no! If it's a free to play why is there a tutorial? at the same time the market place has better weaponry and better much of everything. But they even fail at that to if you want the best guns, the best armor and the "perks" for your character you have to buy it off on the PlayStation store with your CREDIT CARD if this is a free to play game why are they charging us to buy weapons and armor since there are guns to buy in the in game marketplace? wtf? that is so confusing spending fake cash and at the same time spend real cash on items that sooner or later you will not even need

if people say this is a great game they are obviously trolling you to get this game so they can see you die like a million times then forcing yourself to buy from PlayStation Store with your credit card
    and at the same time tearing your hair out and after you threw your damn controller at the TV

Lastly even though there is an in game economy in order to get that particular gun you have to manage and pick the right skills for your guy and therefore spend hours and hours on end trying to find the right fit for your guy so if you are a new player to the game you will have a hard time succeeding and it's just
    a BIG GRIND getting to the winners circle just pass on this game and play MAG that game does it better
  31. Aug 17, 2013
    Games premise is its a version of quake wars with micromanaging, problem is it gets both wrong.

Gameplay is poor, rarely do you get tug-of-wars, every game 1 team just simply dominates most often to the point where one team will be spawn killed over and over. Only way to escape this is the tdm mode, where again a more experience player with better stats will win every time 1on1.
    When
    you start it places you in simple matches, but after a few games you are thrown into the deep end and well most players will drown.
    Maps themselves are not that good, everything is stretched out way to much with the most dull graphics seen in a ps3 fps.

Game simply isn't worth your time when can play similar modes in refined games like Battlefield 3
  32. Oct 25, 2013
    Has some promise but ultimately not a very fun game. There are simply other F2P titles where teamwork is easier to coordinate (such as League of Legends) or combat is more fun, skill-based, and less biased towards high level players (such as Hawken).

The game's economy is not great, every piece of equipment you buy gets used up every time you die so you have to constantly restock
    everything but the base armors, weapons, etc. Skills take forever to unlock. A player who is higher level then you will cream you with advanced weapons, armor, vehicles, ORBITAL STRIKES! This leads to matches being completely unbalanced. Ultimately, the shooting mechanics work but that is about it. The game simply is not fun in its current iteration. With an improved economy and some balanced matches, it would be on the road to fun. This is one to avoid unless you enjoy painful grinding, in which case, have at it. Expand
  33. Apr 26, 2014
    I cannot in good conscience recommend this game to anyone. CCP works on EVE Online, and has planned another MMO called World of Darkness. Now they've added Dust 514, and EVE Valkyrie, and cancelled World of Darkness after years of work. Just completely scrapped it too in a single announcement, so having confidence that this game is going to succeed seems very unlikely.

At this point,
    you'd need to play for about 100 consecutive hours with skillpoint boosters and win at least 50% of your matches to be able to even use the weapons or the armor with it comparable to other players. Or let your account sit for about 3 months, which is a minimum, since every character gains skillpoints passively. But if you let your account sit, you'll still be behind since everyone else is playing and also getting the free skillpoints.

Also, the skill tree has terrible explanations of the bonuses, and the items' stats are ambiguous and don't explain very well either. So putting points into a skill (which is permanent, once you place points in a skill there's nothing you can do to change or undo it.) means that you just spent a week's worth of points to use the bare minimum of a weapon, or a month's worth of playing to get a single weapon group to max level.

Then there's the equipment, which is consumed with each time you die. That's right, when you die you need to repurchase everything to use it again. So the more expensive build you have, the less often you can use it. Unless of course, you have players in EVE who funnel you money. In D514, an extremely expensive build would cost you about 1mil isk (the currency in game) but in EVE, people can make 100mil isk in about an hour, or even 30 minutes. So giving someone 25mil isk to their dustbunny isn't unheard of, and they get the massive bonus to their Dust character because of their EVE subscription.

Also, the load times are terrible, the graphics lag, the servers lag, and the controls are really a piece of **** compared to other fps games on consoles. Don't bother getting a sidearm weapon or any support items other than something you deploy. Swapping weapons takes a second and you can't look or turn your camera while swapping.
  34. X0R
    Jun 26, 2013
    I play EVE, but I just can't get hooked into any FPS, although I thought Dust514 might be the one. It's tough for me to go from sandbox to limited area, kill, die, kill, kill, die, repeat Some accurate reviews here, good & bad, so no need to duplicate. I'll just stay up in space.
  35. Mar 13, 2014
    I downloaded Dust 514 as soon as my friend told me about it. A free-to-play FPS? What's not to love about that? ...Not much, sadly. Almost everything has been said by other reviewers-- the maps are horrible, the movements are choppy, the gameplay is unbalanced (mainly because it's play-to-win)...I could go on, but I won't. I don't recommend this to anyone, don't try it unless you like watching your team get spawn-killed by some dude with an overpowered minigun.

P2W should not be in an FPS game- it ruins the entire game.
  36. Oct 15, 2014
    Just because you take a dump in a box and call it an FPS doesn't make it so.

So much hope and potential for this game... Epic fail.

Shooting mechanics are brutal
    Unbalanced gameplay
    Bad graphics
    Complexity that boils down to time or money spent on your character.
  37. Jun 2, 2013

1. Thankfully, navigating through the poorly designed menus is not the only thing Dust 514 has to offer. You can also shoot each other in a body region of choice on poorly designed multiplayer maps. Even with 31 other player joining the fray, you will have a hard time finding even a single adversary. [June 2013, p.86]
  2. Dust 514 is ropier than a Japanese adult movie marathon. Movement is clunky, combat feels archaic, and this war takes place on worlds so drab they look like a rip off of Futurama’s Neutral Planet. This is yet another paid DLC bear trap. [September 2013, p80]
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Feels like it is in desperate need of a decade of evolution, to move out of the shadow of its peers. [Issue#137, p.114]