• Publisher: CCP
  • Release Date: May 14, 2013
6.1

1. May 14, 2013
    So much promise in this game. The large scope and massive immersion into the game is really rewarding. Looking forward to the game mechanics getting better. Great start to a FREE game! I also agree that if you enjoyed MAG, you will love this game.
  2. May 15, 2013
    Its complexity will likely turn Call of Duty fans away, but for a free game there isn't really any reason not to at least try the game. There is a micro transaction system in place, but instead of being pay to win, its more of a pay to get it faster situation. Buying mercenary packs isn't necessary to survive a fight. Being in squads and using team work is more important. CoD fanboysIts complexity will likely turn Call of Duty fans away, but for a free game there isn't really any reason not to at least try the game. There is a micro transaction system in place, but instead of being pay to win, its more of a pay to get it faster situation. Buying mercenary packs isn't necessary to survive a fight. Being in squads and using team work is more important. CoD fanboys wouldn't understand that. Expand
  3. May 14, 2013
    The game is awesome. After years of hard working, CCP give us (IMFO) a really good online shooter on PS3.
    Long life to you- CCP!

Игра
  4. May 14, 2013
    So much promise for the future of this game. Cant wait to see what this game would be like in 10 years and with the community we have now, we have a chance to get there.
  5. May 14, 2013
    A Free to play game, that links two games together in a huge universe, with Intense Corporation battles, Skill tress, and a dynamic First Person Shooter experience, makes this game one of the most innovative games in the past few years.
  6. May 14, 2013
    This is the best shooter I've played in years. It's still a work in progress, but this game has more potential than any other game out there right now.
    Take it from someone who was in the Planetside 2 Tech Test, and still plays it occasionaly today: THIS is the MMOFPS you want to be playing.
  7. SMC
    May 14, 2013
    Ive been playing this game since the closed beta, and just frankly....wow. The game's developers have actually listened to there beta forums which i'm sincerely impressed with, having an input into a genre I love has been pretty cool. This game has come on in leaps and bounds. Don't get me wrong, there are still some issues, but with the game being set in an already well establishedIve been playing this game since the closed beta, and just frankly....wow. The game's developers have actually listened to there beta forums which i'm sincerely impressed with, having an input into a genre I love has been pretty cool. This game has come on in leaps and bounds. Don't get me wrong, there are still some issues, but with the game being set in an already well established universe and CCP's already sterling record with their persistent MMORPG, EVE, this game has the potential to outlast the current clone FPS's available.

The fact that this game is F2P, and with CCP doing there level best to ensure that this is the case by not allowing gamers to buy there way into something that isn't achievable by the hard slog of gaining skill points and earning the in game currency called isk is great. (Trivia fact: also Iceland's national currency, the home of CCP)

I think i'm safe in saying that this game will impress anyone looking for something more meaningful than the 7th time they've just unlocked the AK47 (i think you know which game i'm talking about).
  8. May 15, 2013
    Finally a fps shoter that does not treat you like you're a moron. Tons of customization options and battles actually MEAN something. Took me a few days to learn the upgrade system but now tht i have it is like a game in itself!I recommend this game to anyone who like me was feeling like there was no point in playing BF3 or COD. In all honesty I had premium for BF3 and I sold it once I gotFinally a fps shoter that does not treat you like you're a moron. Tons of customization options and battles actually MEAN something. Took me a few days to learn the upgrade system but now tht i have it is like a game in itself!I recommend this game to anyone who like me was feeling like there was no point in playing BF3 or COD. In all honesty I had premium for BF3 and I sold it once I got into DUST! So to summarize try this game out it may take a few days to learn but once you do you may never go back, I haven't! PS THE UPRISING UPGRADE CAME OUT ON MAY 14th THE GAME IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NEW GRAPPHICS NEW CONTROLS STREAMLINED INTERFACE. If you tried ths game before and didn't like it come back download the update and give her another shot, you've got nothing to lose besides that burnt out feeling you get from most FPS's...PEACE! I'm out. Expand
  9. May 15, 2013
    This game is really amazing. It looks/feels like triple AAA game and what is more interesting is that the concept itself promises so many things can be done further with future expansions/patches. I especially like the part where you need to corporate with teammates to win the battle. It requires strategy/teamwork to win not with item purchases. This is truly a free to play game and loveThis game is really amazing. It looks/feels like triple AAA game and what is more interesting is that the concept itself promises so many things can be done further with future expansions/patches. I especially like the part where you need to corporate with teammates to win the battle. It requires strategy/teamwork to win not with item purchases. This is truly a free to play game and love it! Thanks for CCP making this game! Expand
  10. GNN
    May 14, 2013
    a great and unique F2P concept that is already a good shooter with depth and customization never seen before in a FPS. Dusts connection with eve will push it past what shooters have ever attempted as long as they set a good foundation. the game still badly needs a solid new player tutorial [a must with the high learning curve] bigger and better grouping, better corp tools, proximity chata great and unique F2P concept that is already a good shooter with depth and customization never seen before in a FPS. Dusts connection with eve will push it past what shooters have ever attempted as long as they set a good foundation. the game still badly needs a solid new player tutorial [a must with the high learning curve] bigger and better grouping, better corp tools, proximity chat and a command structure similar to what MAG had [right now allied squads are completely cut off from each other and 16 voices in teamchat is a nightmare] with free updates this game can grow to be great if it tackles its few hiccups in the next two updates. Expand
  11. May 14, 2013
    A fun fps, very in dept Skill system that appeals to the hardcore gamer, but with room for the casual. the only draw back that really need mentioning is the rather steep learning curve for a player new to the game. But once core elements are understood a very satisfying experience is to be had. well worth checking out.
  12. May 14, 2013
    Awesome game. Loving the progression, complexity, longevity, graphics. Tip: Please join a corporation. You will love this game even more. Voice chat is always fun and dynamic with good people and you will always enjoy matches and planetary conquest then!
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    Excellent shooter, because of al the depth and customization. The game has improved tremendously after beta, and continues to improve. I love the fact that you can make a character to your liking, with endless strategic and tactical opportunities.

I don't agree with people saying that it's "pay to win", because your abilities to increase more powerful items increase depends on experience, which can't be bought. Paid items are great to test a better weapon before you want to sink your hard-earned experience points in the necessary upgrades, but as paid items are lost when you die, playing pay to win-style is a VERY costly exercise!
  14. May 15, 2013
    An Free MMOFPS that is part of a persistent universe shared by another MMO, where your battles actually count for something?

Sign me up! The EVE online formula has translated well, we finally have a multiplayer FPS with RPG elements with enough depth and motivation to last us a long time. Also take into account that the game is continuing to be expanded (another thing take from EVE)

Sign me up!

The EVE online formula has translated well, we finally have a multiplayer FPS with RPG elements with enough depth and motivation to last us a long time. Also take into account that the game is continuing to be expanded (another thing take from EVE) so you never will run out of content.

The fact that it can be played with a mouse and keyboard on the PS3 (which does seem a bit overpowered) plus the fact that it was free was what bought me into it (other then the reasons stated above)

Gone are the days of "run-and-gun unlock everything and quit" FPS'. Dust 514 is the future.
  15. May 15, 2013
    My review may be a little biased, but I will try to be as neutral about this as possible.

Dust 514 is a game in which you are a cloned mercenary payed by the highest bidder whether it is an entire faction owned by NPCs, or a Corporation or Alliance run by players, to fight on the planet-side of EVE and assume control of the planet. In this, you start out with 500,000 skill points

In this, you start out with 500,000 skill points and four free militia suits which are infinite, but highly unwieldly and not nearly as efficient and as deadly as the prototype variants. The four variants are Militia (MLT), Standard (STD), Advanced (ADV), and Prototype (PRT).. In order to use STD, ADV, and PRT, you must get your skills for the corresponding item to I, III, V in that order. This process can take a while, but the reward is great, in my opinion.

As you travel up the ladder of skill points, you fight a very hard battle. But within one million skill points I was already dominating the field in a Semi Standard-advanced Assault suit using an advanced weapon with standard suit modules.

- To say that you stand no chance against a prototype suit in a lower tiered suit is completely false. Granted, the challenge is greater but not impossible. The feeling of reward that you get when you've killed someone who you know is running a proto suit with proto weaponry while you're in a much lower tier with much lower skill points is amazing. Knowing you cost them a good 100k ISK (Game currency) for their one suit, whereas your suit only cost 10k ISK.

The game has four modes which are similar. Ambush (50 Kill Team Deathmatch), Ambush OMS (80 Kill Team Deathmatch with turret and module support), Skirmish (King of the Kill, with 3-5 points to control, or you can wipe out the enemy teams 150 clones (whichever comes first). and Domination (Skirmish with one control point.

Having played a Heavy and an Assault both, I can say that this game does offer some level of customization where you can completely specialize into one weapon, or specialize somewhat in a few weapons or just become able to use everything. The latter isn't recommended, but that's the beauty of it. The choice is yours.

Soon to come, the battles you fight will decide the sovereignty of solar systems in EVE. EVE and DUST will form a mutual symbiosis where one will depend on the other in a healthy way. The Economies of both games will be merged, and CCP talks of more integration between both games. But that's not what makes the game great.

It is true that the game has many flaws, you can get stuck on some surfaces, the loading screen will fail to initialize into battle, there are balance issues, sometimes things will not render completely, and the controls are a little sluggish as well as an aim assist issue. The range specialization of weapons was completely dropped and I agree with this move as it made MANY other weapons worthless at any game mode unless you were able to draw your opponent around the corner. Which if you waited for, was a bad idea as you will be flanked, and the person you hoped to kill will just get better positioning on you.

Thus, the range skills were removed, making the game once again currently balanced for all weapons to a much better degree than what it had previously been.

What is truly wonderful about this game is that all content releases are completely -FREE-. If ever there is a new map pack, or new gear or skills to use it will always be free. You will never need to pay to win in this game. Pay to win dictates that you must pay to use gear which is advantageous over the other players which in essence is not true in this game. You can pay for items which are of the standard grade that never run out. But you will never find proto gear that you have to pay for that will never run out.

There are weapons that cost Aurum (ingame real money currency) that allow you to use suits and weapons earlier if you lack the skills for their higher tiered variants, but this too, in time you are garunteed to attain. Whereas in Pay to Win, you MUST pay to ACHIEVE the desired result.

Once again, as you're skilling up going match after match with similar load outs, you, as the adaptive player, become better and better with that load out and as you get better, so does your gear.

I feel that this game, considering its origins, is very well put together and puts an adaptive learning curve for seasoned and new FPS players alike that challenges themselves to push their skills just a little further with every match. I find this game quite entertaining, and I look forward to the many, many content patches that will follow in the years to come with DUST 514.

PS, when EVE started, many players complained about how it played, back in the day in 2003, records were set for 5000 players on a single shard... Now, after many, many content patches, EVE today reaches 60,000 players on a single shard. If history repeats, DUST will be one of the bigger competing FPS's in the future which will receive a PS4 update.
  16. May 19, 2013
    Dust 514 is an FPS MMO RPG by Crowd Control Productions and take place in New Eden under the same stars as Eve Online. The backstory for the world is expansive and opens with the discovery of a neural implant that allows the transfer of consciousness at the moment of death. Combined with cloning technology and the advanced Sciences already employed by the four factions of New Eden, youDust 514 is an FPS MMO RPG by Crowd Control Productions and take place in New Eden under the same stars as Eve Online. The backstory for the world is expansive and opens with the discovery of a neural implant that allows the transfer of consciousness at the moment of death. Combined with cloning technology and the advanced Sciences already employed by the four factions of New Eden, you are one of the first of the immortal army of clone soldiers in an intergalactic war across the stars.

Gameplay:10/10
    The RPG element of skill progression moves at a constant speed but can be boosted by use of boosters (1.5x skill gain) and by combat (bonus skill points are gained by contributed to battles and drained from your pool of potential bonus points). Your skill points are spent to augment your loadouts by letting you use more advanced gear or learning how to get better performance out of the gear you have. This game is what you make of it the more you give it the more you'll get!
  17. May 23, 2013
    DUST 514 have flaws in it, specifically some random bugs or the framerate can be annoying sometimes, but is really that bad? No, it is not.

The game is a little bit complex compared to other shooters on consoles, and is even more complex to explain the other MMO game running behind DUST 514, which is EVE Online. And the game only explain with limited Tutorials and a video about this, but not full in depth.

DUST 514 suits better for those who wants a FPS with team gameplay in it. But it goes beyond that, it is a MMO with RPG elements that is merged with another MMO Universe (EVE Online) in real time and can communicate each other in the battlefield.

Good:
    * Revolutionary and innovative way to introduce 2 different type of MMO's in 1 Universe and battling at the same time for an objective, first ever in a console and for PC.
    * Team gameplay required to win the battles.
    * Skill tree is extensive
    * Mouse and Keyboard along with PS Move is compatible
    * Real Pay to win model? No.
    * Takes a lot of persistence
    * Risks exists, each potential action can be a consequence to win or loose the battle, therefore a battle can determinate the domination of the district of a Planet, then the whole Planet, therefore the power of the Corporations or Alliances.
    *The Expansions and DLC's will be free, always evolving with new content. Example: Maps, Graphics, Gameplay mechanics, technical advancements, new features for free.
    *Great communication across different channels in real time. You can speak with your Squad, Team, Corporation or Custom channels via Voice chat and text, clean and easy, like a MMO on PC

Bad:

*Bugs, and framerate sometimes can broke your gameplay experience.
    *Controllers

DUST 514 will be evolving with the expansions, new features, fixes, massive content and even graphics.

Most of the reviews of Metacritic and along with other sites will be outdated eventually when they launch future expansions.
  18. May 15, 2013
    Since this game is forever evolving hopefully your first few weeks of play, you can look past the clunky movements and inconsistent aiming mechanics, Maybe by the time you read this the developers may have improved on the in game mechanics as well as adding forever free updates, (As they will continue to do for years to come).. CCP is an amazing developer, and this game has huge potential,Since this game is forever evolving hopefully your first few weeks of play, you can look past the clunky movements and inconsistent aiming mechanics, Maybe by the time you read this the developers may have improved on the in game mechanics as well as adding forever free updates, (As they will continue to do for years to come).. CCP is an amazing developer, and this game has huge potential, especially with the new Instant battle academy, that came with uprising, even as a new player you will be going up against people of like skill and gear lvl.. Spend a few weeks in the game advance your gear and find a good corporation/squad to gun down your enemy with! Soon you may be able to experience the Corp Vs Corp battles for planetary conquest! Expand
  19. May 15, 2013
    Free. Deep. and a lot more than just running around in circles pulling the trigger at the first thing you see. Its incredibly addictive. While a few areas still need to be ironed out, you can be sure they will with constant free updates.
  20. May 22, 2013
    This game is not for everyone. It's dauntingly complex and chock full of tutorials and menus. It's difficult to approach, especially without someone helping you. But once you get past that initial wall of figuring everything out, what you find is a veritable goldmine of depth and complexity that goes as deep as you are willing.

What makes Dust most different for the average player is

What makes Dust most different for the average player is the resource management system. While most shooters simply have your weapons appear on your character without much thought to how they got there or why you have them, Dust is completely different. In Dust you must buy your base suit, buy whatever modules (extra shields, armor, speed, etc.) you want on your suit, buy your weapon, your grenades, and so on. While this may sound tedious, Dust has a fantastic interface to make this a breeze. A single basic suit may cost 20,000 ISK (in game currency). Buying ten of everything on that suit makes it so you can die ten times while using it before you run out of it. Then you'll have to buy more (easily done in-match). Since match payouts are generally about 200,000 ISK, rarely will you find yourself running out of ISK for suits unless you move to more advanced levels of suits. There's nothing quite like killing a tank that cost someone over a million ISK to fit...

Another defining factor in Dust is corporations. While Dust can be played alone it is not recommended. Find a corporation and sign up with them as quickly as you can as being in a squad with others improves the game much. Being in a corporation also opens up a window into Planetary Conquest (PC) and the political intrigue of EVE. PC allows corporations to control territory on planets and to capture other corporations planets. It gives meaning to what would otherwise be battles for simple bragging rights.

That said, the game is not without flaws. The base gunplay can sometimes feel lackluster, and the game sometimes suffers from lag. Both of these issues are being addressed with constant (practically weekly) updates that make the game better. With a development cycle planned to last 10 years, this game is only going to get better, and it's great fun right now.

Finally, addressing how the game is monetized. CCP allows players to buy Aurum with real money. Aurum can be used to buy boosters, which increase the rate of SP gain, permanent versions of ISK items, or items one level above your current skill. The game follows the "pay to grind less" strategy, and it's done well. I played the game for free for my first month of playing and really enjoyed it. I decided to pay because I felt it was worth it and wanted to support CCP for making a game I liked. In no way did I feel I was at a major disadvantage for not paying.

Dust 514 is definitely a game worth your time, and one that can easily be lost in. I highly recommend it.
  21. May 22, 2013
    So, DUST 514 is far from perfect.

I enjoy the game thoroughly, don't get me wrong, and this title shows immense promise. However it did feel a touch rushed to full release, aiming on the move and driving are still the slightest bit wonky. That all said, you owe yourself to at least try it, it's intensely unique, pulling in the best qualities of the Battlefield games and MAG; but
    So, DUST 514 is far from perfect.

That all said, you owe yourself to at least try it, it's intensely unique, pulling in the best qualities of the Battlefield games and MAG; but giving you a massive sense of personal responsibility and investment in the character you build up over time.

Like EVEOnline, every piece of equipment needs to be paid for and carefully trained for, every loadout you design is tailored to your taste and needs, every LAV and transport uniquely your own.

Some people decry the Aurum system, but looking deeper into it you see it only bypasses a needed level or two of skill (at the cost of real-world currency), which is at most a few days of focused effort to unlock for free.
  22. Jul 6, 2013
    Dust 514 is an ambitious shooter with a strong player base and plenty of room to expand. While not the most polished or refined shooter out there, it is backed by strong developers that have great ideas and game creation ethics. It can be somewhat intimidating to new players, but the official Dust 514 forums offer great help from the community to newbies. Dust still lacks proper EVEDust 514 is an ambitious shooter with a strong player base and plenty of room to expand. While not the most polished or refined shooter out there, it is backed by strong developers that have great ideas and game creation ethics. It can be somewhat intimidating to new players, but the official Dust 514 forums offer great help from the community to newbies. Dust still lacks proper EVE integration and can be buggy in Planetary Conquest, but it holds immense promise and long-term play for those who are patient enough for this true work of art on the PS3 to reach its full potential. Expand
  23. May 15, 2013
    I'll start off saying this is not a well polished game. It has plenty of hiccups that need to (and will) be worked out in future updates. Currently the issues include clunky controls, the occasional game-crashing bug, and uneven matches where experienced players simply crush relatively new players (though CCP fixed this somewhat with yesterday's upddate).

Now the reason I gave this game

Now the reason I gave this game such a high rating is because CCP can be trusted to spend the next decade or so improving the game and adding content, and I consider its cross over with the EVE universe to be a truly innovative concept.

What makes Dust 514 special is the meta-game that comes with it. Being able to band together with other mercs to fight for control over planets in the EVE universe adds a layer of strategy and political intrigue on top of the normal shoot-the-other-guy-in-the-face excitement of an FPS. I also love the fact that making dropsuit fittings requires some careful consideration. Having to fit weapons and modules that maximize performance while remaining within the powergrid and CPU limitations of the suit, and keeping costs down enough that I can still profit from the fights definitely has kept me nerding out over this game.

If you are considering this game, be sure to look into player corporations, where you can squad up with people. This is a game that rewards teamwork.
  24. May 15, 2013
    Good game, good mechanics, needs a little more work. Still some issues with matchmaking in some rounds that makes one team clearly better than the other, but this game really shines in the corp v corp battles, not the instant action. People shouldn't judge so quickly if they haven't experienced all that this game has to offer.
  25. May 15, 2013
    Ground breaking concept merging console and pc fps & space mmo into one universe.
    Takes the FPS model and adds meaning and value into the effort. You're fighting for something, with someone, leaving a lasting impact.
  26. May 24, 2013
    Game Trailers gave out an extremely garbage review and the person reviewing did not even bother to do some research and i quote ''you can only get scrambler riffles by paying" which is not true there is ISK scrambler riffle weapons and the prototypes which are the best you only need ISK to buy them, also Did this guy even bothered to mention planetary conquest nope. There just goes toGame Trailers gave out an extremely garbage review and the person reviewing did not even bother to do some research and i quote ''you can only get scrambler riffles by paying" which is not true there is ISK scrambler riffle weapons and the prototypes which are the best you only need ISK to buy them, also Did this guy even bothered to mention planetary conquest nope. There just goes to show how ignorant the person from GT was. even a monkey could of had done a better review. Dust takes some time (not alot) to get to a high level this is not just a pick up and play game to obtain everything in less than month like call of duty does. Expand
  27. May 26, 2013
    Great game, greatly improved in the last release. CCP seems to be very efficient in upgrading the game and I can't wait for the next expansions. I trained for vehicles and I am having huge fun. I got recruited into a corporation and I have received excellent support from my corp, mates, who are very active.
    I look forward to exploring the depths of EVE online and the interconnections
    I look forward to exploring the depths of EVE online and the interconnections between the two games. And by the way the game is free. This is a major point for me, but I have to say that I would have purchased the game in any case. Highly recommended.
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    The game does come a little to strong to new players, after so many years of dumb reactive first person shooters our brains are atrophied to the boring formula of FPS we have been complaining for so long now. Dust514 brings new blood to the mode and a huge breath of fresh air to otherwise jaded gamers, the adding of a economy to a FPS, the interconnection with the huge MMO EVE online, andThe game does come a little to strong to new players, after so many years of dumb reactive first person shooters our brains are atrophied to the boring formula of FPS we have been complaining for so long now. Dust514 brings new blood to the mode and a huge breath of fresh air to otherwise jaded gamers, the adding of a economy to a FPS, the interconnection with the huge MMO EVE online, and all that for free.. is just freaking amazing.
    But it does comes at a cost, been only multiplayer the game can be really cruel to new comers, but for the player that is looking for a revolution of the genre this is the game, and if CCP is telling the truth, the game is only going to get better over the years.. and for FREE!!!
  29. Jun 8, 2013
    This is a pretty solid game, people who give a bad review either didn't play for more than a hour or just left bad reviews based off of other bad reviews, I have yet to encounter a problem, and just using the starter suits I'm always positive on my kills and score, maybe the bad reviews also didn't complete the tutorial and/or suck at the game? There's a lot of depth to this game, moreThis is a pretty solid game, people who give a bad review either didn't play for more than a hour or just left bad reviews based off of other bad reviews, I have yet to encounter a problem, and just using the starter suits I'm always positive on my kills and score, maybe the bad reviews also didn't complete the tutorial and/or suck at the game? There's a lot of depth to this game, more than your typical camp fest like call of duty and this game actually relies on team-work, I'm kinda glad the people that left reviews aren't playing this cause I'd hate to paired up on the same team with them! Expand
  30. May 15, 2013
    The gameplay itself is average. The part that makes this game REALLY shine is the complexity of the fittings of the suits and the vehicles. I can spend so much time tweaking what I want. When I "test" my fits I earn skill points so I can train for other things I want to test. It is an endless cycle of fun. Also the Planetary Conquest is AMAZING! It just came out and already my CorporationThe gameplay itself is average. The part that makes this game REALLY shine is the complexity of the fittings of the suits and the vehicles. I can spend so much time tweaking what I want. When I "test" my fits I earn skill points so I can train for other things I want to test. It is an endless cycle of fun. Also the Planetary Conquest is AMAZING! It just came out and already my Corporation and a few others are fighting for control over these planets to gain more power. It is awesome Expand
  31. May 15, 2013
    I have been playing this game for nearly a year now I would probably be described as a fan boy but i will be objective

this is a game for people who want something new and are bored of killing for killings sake the sheer number of skills and items available make almost every player different in some way, It was worked out that is will take about 6-8 years to max out the current available skills so don't expect to be top dog quickly it will take you maybe 5+ mouths to get the stuff you really want.

Gameplay is fun it is not a "smooth" as COD or BF3 but get your self into a corp(clan) and work with them this is a team game

Map number are "limited" and yet bound less I will try and explain currently there are 6 basic terrain maps each of these can have 1 of 6 skins (grass,rock,desert) and then the building on the map are socketed so on big maps there are 1 main building and 2/3 small buildings, these are currently 3 main types of main building (not sure about the small ones) and each of these has 4 rascal versions.

as it stands there are 3 levels of battles, public battles, factional warfare is affects EVE online players, and planetary conquest this is where corps can take planets over and try and hold them. PVE will be added but there is no confirmed time fame for this yet.

this game is worth a try but just go in expecting something different from your regular run and gun FPS and don't expect that just because you can go 15-0 in other game that you will be going this straight of the bat here.
  32. May 15, 2013
    I have been playing Dust for almost a year. the progress with every update has been quite amazing and right now it is a pretty imprezsive shooter. What i think is the best part is the customization and the persistance, i feel like my character is real, not just unlocking items in a row, decoded by the developer.. ccp is not launching this game intending to get dlc down the road, it willI have been playing Dust for almost a year. the progress with every update has been quite amazing and right now it is a pretty imprezsive shooter. What i think is the best part is the customization and the persistance, i feel like my character is real, not just unlocking items in a row, decoded by the developer.. ccp is not launching this game intending to get dlc down the road, it will all be free. and for a free game, it is quite amazing. it is definitely not pay 2 win, i welcome the fact that i can keep up by buying sp boosters because i cant play every day and still keep up. all items are available in isk, there is not a single item that can only be bought for real money. what it lacks in polish, it more than makes up for by being free and fun. if you dont like the game right now, just wait 3 months, and come back, it will be better, and you will have accumulated sp to spend on new skills and items. you cant lose. Expand
  33. Jul 11, 2013
    Dust 514 is refreshing in the shooter world by giving purpose to your combat. the better you do the more you earn in both skill points (xp) and isk (in game money)

almost everything you use in dust 514 is something you must buy, from your armor to your gun. on the flip side, every time you kill another person they lost that as well. from tanks to aircraft to men on the ground every kill is a loss to another player.

one of the biggest things in dust 514 is the skill point system, every battle you earn SP and you put that SP into many different skills that improve you in different areas or allow you to use better items. progression in dust 514 is very exciting and is more like MMO's are on PC.

Dust 514 isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. the game is still getting support from developers and will be for at least 3 more years with free DLC and content patches, so if you support free DLC then download that game.

Oh yea, dust 514 is FREE on ps3, it's one of the best and least talked about ps3 exclusive but a game everyone should download.
  34. Sep 10, 2014
    Dust 514 pros: customization, social aspects, New Eden universe, passive and active skill point system, F2P without P2W.
    Cons: Updates are infrequent, graphics do not push the limits of 2012 technology much less 2014.
  35. May 16, 2013
    For potential, 10/10. For concept, 10/10. For the revolutionary formulary of tying it into a persistent universe with pre-established lore in EVE Online, and connecting the two games together, 10/10. Why 8? As it is now, it has bugs. But so did EVE. As it is now, it has balance issues. But so did EVE. As it is now, it lacks content. But so did EVE. The biggest disappointment is the lack ofFor potential, 10/10. For concept, 10/10. For the revolutionary formulary of tying it into a persistent universe with pre-established lore in EVE Online, and connecting the two games together, 10/10. Why 8? As it is now, it has bugs. But so did EVE. As it is now, it has balance issues. But so did EVE. As it is now, it lacks content. But so did EVE. The biggest disappointment is the lack of a 'solo' experience, and I use that term loosely as you are never truly solo in EVE Online, but the difference is, you can still go and make something of yourself without the need to engage in direct PVP combat in EVE. DUST, for the moment, is purely PVP with no PVE elements in it, and that's where it loses points for me. But, I expect they are on the drawing board, and continue to enjoy the game as it is for the moment. Without that PVE content however, it will eventually just become the same old thing match after match. Hell, it already is, but it's still an enjoyable "same old thing", especially if you've got a good solid team. Expand
  36. May 17, 2013
    Just to clarify a bit more about the 'pay-to-win' it's not.

It's more like 'pay-to-have-a-gear-that-requires-lower-skill-level-to-use', the best gears can only be bought by in game currency which is ISK. With real money you can only purchase standard grade dropsuits blueprints and weapons that match the same tier (same stat), and you need to earn ISK to buy Advance and Prototype suits.
    Just to clarify a bit more about the 'pay-to-win' it's not.

However the gameplay design (aiming, weapon balance) is still awkward compare to others FPS in the market right now, but the potential is clearly there.

If you are looking for a jump-right-in-and-shot-stuff FPS, Dust 514 might not live up to your expectation. Dust requires you to spend some time on browsing market, selecting your equipments, test dropsuit, plan skills etc. It WILL take you some time before you know what you're doing. However if you are someone that enjoy gear customization, roles on battlefield, teamworks, tactics, consequences, destroying other people's expensive gears with your starter gears, then Dust 514 is for you.
  37. May 17, 2013
    Being new to console FPS, I have no "drag" with controls learned elsewhere. In fact playing with the normal Dual shock controller felt so awkward, that I had to get myself a Splitfish controller during the closed beta, before the keyboard/mouse was an option.

I find the depth of the game exhilarating, having played EVE Online for years and stopped due to lack of time, this was an opportunity to sink back in to the world of New Eden without having to sink hours and hours into it. And I love it. After almost a year of game play, I still love it.

Oh yeah, New Eden. It's filled with lore and history. The EVE Wiki alone is amazing source of back stories, but they've also published three (3!) books based on the universe. And countless of Chronicles delving deep into the life of the citizens, soldiers and capsuleers of the various planets and star systems.

It is continually evolving and getting better, don't let the whiney kiddies tell you otherwise. See, you actually need to learn this game, spend time with it and get to know what works and what doesn't. After sinking some of your hard earned Skill Points into one of the various support skills, you go and buy the new modules you now have access to and then spend hours finding the best combination to fit them to your dropsuit. Did I mention there are several different kinds of dropsuits?

If you like depth and immersion, this is your game. If you have the attention span of a goldfish, try Crayon Physics, might be a better match.
  38. May 19, 2013
    A fresh new concept that's very interactive and very exciting and engaging. Not to mention the enormous customization. So many dropsies and weapons.
  39. Aug 24, 2013
    I feel bad for those readers caught between the people trying to defend DUST and those whole look down on it. I will get to my personal take on the game in a bit, but there are some basic things I feel an interested player should know, regardless:
    1) Due to passive skill-point (SP) accrual, plus the fact the game is free to download and play, I highly recommend installing and creating a character, as to provide you with a massively expanded pool of SP should you ever come to play the game later in the future, be that a week or in 3 years. You don't need to play even a single match, you can even uninstall it afterwards for all that matters. Not to sound too bitter, but at least one of you reading this will not heed my advice, and when you go to play the game later, you'll be wishing you had more SP to work with. I will not feel bad for you.

2) DUST is growing. That is essential to know despite what anyone says. Though I do support the game personally, I'd gladly be the first to point out its flaws (I'm not, but still). Honestly core mechanics need tweaking, and weapons and suits are constantly being adjusted to the point of annoyance (these are just a few things, but I have limited text). However, my point here is that they're actually being adjusted, and deliberately at that. Other shooters will only provide updates to their game for a limited time, very inconsistently and very minimally. The standard AAA shooter has a "Field" life of one to three years before it is obsolete and you're being asked to fork up another $60+ for the sequel. For example. Activision abandoned Call of Duty 4 long ago, they got their money out of it and they could care less about it at this point, despite what bug and exploits may still be active. This is one thing that appealed to me above almost all else about DUST. CCP has been maintaining and developing EVE Online for over 10 years now; No sequels, No paid DLC. DUST 514 will be the same way in that you will never see a DUST 2, only a DUST-update 2.0, and a DUST 3.0, 4.0 and so on. The game's lineage progresses solely on FREE updates, not paid DLC content packs, and not sequels. CCP listens very closely to its fan-base, and when ["Armor is under-powered compared to shield"] they don't ask you to wait until the sequel to see the changes. Now let me point out that this isn't a great example. All games commit to a certain amount of tweaking, but only on the surface, they might modify specific mechanics here and there (ex: MAVs in Battlefield 3) but the core mechanics; the engine and structure of the game is left alone until the sequel comes out. In contrast, EVE, for instance, has had its core graphics engine redone 3 times now, that's impressive. DUST will be the same way. Yes, the game desperately needs fixes, but those fixes will come, and improvements will be made. As it stands (v1.3), the hit detection isn't very good, and upon hearing this, CCP immediately set into work to fix it and this will not be a small token fix, this will be an in-depth patch to the way the game works. What I want the reader to take away from this is that what grievances you might have today won't be there forever. Be it a month, or 6, CCP does care, and they will fix and update the game as needed for years, perhaps decades to come.

3) The rapid fire releases and general homo-geniality of today's top AAA shooters between their original hits and their sequels makes it very easy to say that the big dogs of the industry are making games solely for the money of it; it's not that they don't care, its just a sense of pride in their product is hardly their main concern. CCP has a track record on the contrast though. Yes, CCP Games is a corporation, corporations want and need money for good reason, but CCP holds a level of integrity nowadays you see nowhere else. They're making DUST with the intentions that, yes, it will be profitable, but almost unique today, that it is something they can be proud of.

4) Microtransactions are a topic many have voiced their concern for. It is important to remember that the weapons/equipment you buy with real money always have a in-game money equivalent, note World of Tanks, in which the highest end content can only be reached through real money, this is not the case in DUST. People also point out annoyance at the fact this gear purchased for real money isn't permanent, and is lost upon death. First off, the gear is extremely cheap, depending what you're looking at, it generally is a matter of cents per unit, however the fact you don't get to keep what you buy is very important as it provides balance. Nobody is going to outclass you by throwing down $20 and using it to pimp out a ton of high end suits, because dying would mean losing that money, which is a fear I feel is very important for "Wallet-warriors" to have.

As I am out of text to use, please, expect BETA quality now, but know the game is growing and improving. Complaints you read now may already be obsolete
  40. Apr 19, 2014
    This game has something that a lot of Shooter games are missing. Customization to make your character function differently than what everyone else on the battlefield is doing. Even though this game still needs to grow, there is differently potential for this to be one of the best shooter games out there. But as far as replay value goes, this game has what you need. And dont just think justThis game has something that a lot of Shooter games are missing. Customization to make your character function differently than what everyone else on the battlefield is doing. Even though this game still needs to grow, there is differently potential for this to be one of the best shooter games out there. But as far as replay value goes, this game has what you need. And dont just think just bc you are good at CoD that you can just walk into this game in be great at it. Because you'll find that this game has a vast learning curve to conqueror before you can even think about having a playstyle that is perfect for you. Expand
  41. Oct 24, 2014
    Get ready to create a mercenary with the roots of one of the four races and drop head first into one of the most interesting, addictive and well done shooter to date.
    It does not take much effort for this games addictive play style to take its toll on you, soon you will be working for a corporation making millions that pays you to do the dirty work, getting your drop suit dirty and engaging one of the many other corporations within the massive universe of EVE.
    In the beginning it starts you off doing public contracts that any new mercenary can perform to make some money and perhaps get noticed by a corporation, these contracts can range from capturing a lone cannon that will shoot down the hostile NCC, or fighting over a lot of turrets either way, turrets are your best friend.
    PROS
    There are many objectives for you to hack anywhere from supply depots, spawn locations, and turrets that you can use against players instead of an NCC be weary though these turrets pack a punch you don’t get in them so you are vulnerable while using these massive death bringing turrets.
    This game may be considered by others to be pay to win as there are things you can pay for however you can get the same or very similar weapons, drop suits, vehicles, over time with unlocking the ability to use them/ buy them with ISK and skill points.
    You need a weapon? How about calling in your own customized vehicle whenever you desire. With the proper skill point training you can unlock the ability to use anything from a light assault vehicle to an aerial drop ship and or assault ship.
    There are a lot of different combinations and such to keep you playing you can adjust any vehicle or drop suit to fit your needs you can modify your drop suit load outs and there are four great default classes that can compete with drop suits built by players.
    CONS
    Air vehicles are hard to control if you don’t have much time to play with them they take dedication to get down let alone flying straight.
    Having the ability to adjust your sensitivity for ADS (aim down sights for those new to the fps genre) gives an almost unfair advantage to those whom don’t know how to or even about the ability to adjust your sensitivity.
    All in all for a free to play shooter you certainly get a great game with lots of replay value and many fun and decisive engagements to keep an action lover happy.
  42. Oct 29, 2014
    It is a really good 1st person shooter game. I find it a very good game to play for everyone!!! You can either join a squad or create a squad so that you and your friends can play. I rally enjoy this game. And i think everyone else will enjoy this game
  43. Nov 12, 2014
    I didn't play this game from the start. I actually downloaded it during beta and played it a few times. Didn't feel like it was worth my time. A year later I picked it back up and it's actually improved quite a bit. They are constantly doing updates and adding new content. I still play it on and off, but have since moved onto PS4. Hopefully they will bring this game over.
  44. May 19, 2013

Gameplay:10/10

1. Thankfully, navigating through the poorly designed menus is not the only thing Dust 514 has to offer. You can also shoot each other in a body region of choice on poorly designed multiplayer maps. Even with 31 other player joining the fray, you will have a hard time finding even a single adversary. [June 2013, p.86]
  2. Dust 514 is ropier than a Japanese adult movie marathon. Movement is clunky, combat feels archaic, and this war takes place on worlds so drab they look like a rip off of Futurama’s Neutral Planet. This is yet another paid DLC bear trap. [September 2013, p80]
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Feels like it is in desperate need of a decade of evolution, to move out of the shadow of its peers. [Issue#137, p.114]