• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jul 17, 2012
  • Also On: PC
6.0

1. Oct 17, 2012
    I feel like I'm missing something about this game. Ambient music, fast score-attack gameplay is usually my thing (I adored "Everyday Shooter" for example), but the dizzying tunnel layout of Dyad left me pretty cold. The challenge of the game seems to be how hard you can squint your eyes. The game itself is pretty simple, which is not a bad thing, adding just a few new controls as theI feel like I'm missing something about this game. Ambient music, fast score-attack gameplay is usually my thing (I adored "Everyday Shooter" for example), but the dizzying tunnel layout of Dyad left me pretty cold. The challenge of the game seems to be how hard you can squint your eyes. The game itself is pretty simple, which is not a bad thing, adding just a few new controls as the levels progress... but if it wasn't for the tunnel vision, the game would be remarkably easy. The challenge lies entirely in how far ahead you can see at any given time, and with your speed up it quickly becomes a guessing game. Of all the games like this out there, I'm kind of surprised this is the one getting rave reviews. It's not bad, but I can't call it good either. Expand
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    This was a weird one for me. I liked the concept, I liked the crazy visuals/colors, I liked the smooth controls, I like well done music, but I got bored of it. If I look at it as modules I think that this game is great; when I pick it up initially it is, but then that fades. For the record I played it in small pieces, a couple of levels one day, and couple the next, a big break and thenThis was a weird one for me. I liked the concept, I liked the crazy visuals/colors, I liked the smooth controls, I like well done music, but I got bored of it. If I look at it as modules I think that this game is great; when I pick it up initially it is, but then that fades. For the record I played it in small pieces, a couple of levels one day, and couple the next, a big break and then the same thing. It is exciting for a short period of time but then the novelty starts to ware off and I'm left with a game that felt boring. I really appreciated what it was trying to do and I thought some of the levels were a lot of fun but then there were ones that weren't that great and I didn't want to play them. From my understanding the creator used the "campaign" (if you want to call it that) as the tutorial and then the real fun came out of the trophy levels. Perhaps I'm not that good and that is why I felt this way but the couple that I tried were frustrating and I did not feel compelled to grind through them. I liked it as a novelty and the last level was really reallly cool, but I can't say that I want to go back to it. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    Describing Dyad is hard. Is it a puzzle game? A shooter? It is like a sidescroller, only that in third person, making it a third-person-scroller...Get it? Awful indeed.
    But this game, first of all, is better describe as an acid trip. It is fast paced, very colourful and a psychodellic soundtrack that really gives some interesting imagery overall. The gameplay is simple (Press X to shoot, and Square to Lance, things that are difficult to get into right now) and the levels use a Star rating and leaderbords system to keep things replayable. And it comes free with PS Plus, what else can you ask for?
    It is easy to fall in love with Dyad when you first play it, but once you start playing it more, you will realize one thing: It is the same thing over and over again, only more exigent each level, and that is where Dyad stops being pleasant, and takes a turn to the "boring" side. There is indeed little sense of accomplishment once you complete the latter levels, but the experience overall is less satisfying and feels less fresh than the first time you put your hands on it. I would NOT recommend the 14 bucks price tag on this one, with so many great indies at the same price. But if you are a ps plus subscriber and, for some reason, you feel you do not have enough games, then feel free to enjoy an hour or two of the most delirious scroller you will ever play on PS3.
  4. Aug 4, 2012
    How do I explain Dyad? I guess the best way to explain this game is an arcade style shooter mixed with music and ambiance undeniably mind soothing and stimulating at the same time. It's a good game, no particular plot aside from level objectives, more of a game to help you relax, unwind but get you into another world full of color and life. But, along with this arcade style shooterHow do I explain Dyad? I guess the best way to explain this game is an arcade style shooter mixed with music and ambiance undeniably mind soothing and stimulating at the same time. It's a good game, no particular plot aside from level objectives, more of a game to help you relax, unwind but get you into another world full of color and life. But, along with this arcade style shooter and it's fun, comes a very challenging demeanor, and is very much hard to progress on certain stages. Overall the game is a good time waster and good to unwind with. Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    I've never dropped acid, but after playing this game I think I know what it would be like to do so. With it's psychedelic visuals and trippy music, the game is basically what a lot of hollywood movies have portrayed drug-induced hallucinations as being like. This all makes for a very pretty and unique gaming experience, but like real drugs this game may take you on an interesting journey,I've never dropped acid, but after playing this game I think I know what it would be like to do so. With it's psychedelic visuals and trippy music, the game is basically what a lot of hollywood movies have portrayed drug-induced hallucinations as being like. This all makes for a very pretty and unique gaming experience, but like real drugs this game may take you on an interesting journey, but it's one that will leave you feeling hollow and craving for more.

The actual gameplay experience is hard to describe, but it is one that is fast paced and will require a lot of skill if you want to unlock any of the game's trophies. The problem is the game never compelled me to stick with it for long enough to get high-scores or trophies. The whole experience ended up feeling throwaway and what's worse is that the game's unique and trippy visual style can occasionally obscure the color-based elements of gameplay.

Overall this game is a lot like drugs; it sounds fun in theory, but it is much more enjoyable as well as safer to watch someone else experience it from a safe distance. You'll get a good laugh this way and won't end up feeling cheated by the lackluster nature of the experience. It's not a bad game. It's just one that is more fun to watch than to play, and for a game that's a pretty big flaw. Still, it is really pretty though.

1. Jan 16, 2013
    A unique trophy system will happily send you into metal hunting delirium. [Feb 2013, p.87]
  2. A colourful feast for the ears and reflexes, Dyad's issues can't ruin this trance party. [Jan 2013, p.114]
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    Dyad walks that fine line between artistic evocation and arcade addiction, emerging in a blinding euphoria of brilliant light at the end of its tunnel.