8.5

1. Jul 16, 2013
    What can I say? This is the Dynasty Warriors we have all been waiting for. Get comfortable because you'll be playing this gem for at least 100 hours!!
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    Dynasty Warriors 8 harkens back to the days of Dynasty Warriors 3 & 4, but loaded with a greater amount of content and a greater degree of polish and refinement--not to mention they brought back 2 much loved features of the series: Co-Op Story Mode and "Free Mode". Fans of the series will rediscover the series they love, and newcomers are bound to have a good time as well with this latestDynasty Warriors 8 harkens back to the days of Dynasty Warriors 3 & 4, but loaded with a greater amount of content and a greater degree of polish and refinement--not to mention they brought back 2 much loved features of the series: Co-Op Story Mode and "Free Mode". Fans of the series will rediscover the series they love, and newcomers are bound to have a good time as well with this latest installment to Koei's beat 'em-up franchise. Expand
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    the series, I confess an inkling of bias, however, with that said, It is the quintessential culmination of all the best the series has to offer, it doesn't try to reinvent itself, it simply does what fans love, better than the other games in this particular genre. The days of copy and paste toons, are gone. Each character has a unique moveset, and no two feel quite alike. The moves arethe series, I confess an inkling of bias, however, with that said, It is the quintessential culmination of all the best the series has to offer, it doesn't try to reinvent itself, it simply does what fans love, better than the other games in this particular genre. The days of copy and paste toons, are gone. Each character has a unique moveset, and no two feel quite alike. The moves are flashy, and the animations are beautiful, except on Xbox which seems to have a few minor slowdown issues. Those who cry and proclaim this game's simplicity, haven't played the new ambition mode, which has you building a fort, and through various skirmishes, filling it with officers and shops, giving you a working goal after you've played through the main story arcs. The voice acting may be a little dry, so if you don't mind reading, I'd keep the subtitles on, however, it seems more like the writers were making a satirical poke at modern english dubs. The beloved free mode makes a return, with all new "what if" scenarios. You can even replay campaign stages as the opposing faction. All of this can be done in beautifully executed co-op play. however it's worth mentioning you must use characters the story arcs give you during the actual campaign, however, you are given the option of 3. The musou skills are better than ever, with what i would consider to be 6 total. an aerial and ground circle move, a storm rush move, a counter move and a rage move. Each varies from the game's splendid roster of 77 brilliant characters. Fans of the series will love this game for the next few months, while anyone who loves to slaughter waves upon waves of enemy, using strategy and skill, will be addicted instantly. Also, anyone with a lasting issue with the game's AI and the idiocy of the enemy units, try playing on a setting other than easy. Expand
  4. Jul 16, 2013
    The combat feels fresh and the addition of the 3 weapon types keeps things fresh and changing. I love the new story mode and the points of view for each level. Best in the series by far
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    This is a great shock this late into the series!! I loved Dynasty Warriors 6 and 7, even though perhaps they had annoying flaws but this game almost seems like KOEI listened to the fans, and gave them what they really wanted this time around!! The presentation is good, granted there is a little slowdown at times, but for most of the time there are hundreds of antagonists on screen andThis is a great shock this late into the series!! I loved Dynasty Warriors 6 and 7, even though perhaps they had annoying flaws but this game almost seems like KOEI listened to the fans, and gave them what they really wanted this time around!! The presentation is good, granted there is a little slowdown at times, but for most of the time there are hundreds of antagonists on screen and it runs just beautifully. The backdrops have a little bit of variety to them, but its the characters that steal the show, for they are beautiful. The music, voiceovers and FX are exactly what you'd expect for Dynasty Warriors, but this isn't a complaint, for if it were different, this would not be Dynasty Warriors live with it, enjoy it, and be done. Gameplay-wize the game is just sublime!! The Story mode is hugely branching, also chucking in some severely smart (and huge!!) battles, the Free mode is a welcome addition marking a return, and Ambition mode is more than a tacked-on extra it must really kill KOEI that they have made every single 'Empires' version of Dynasty Warriors almost obsolete!! Well, it seems like that to me!! Combat is the usual, but its hefty, and thanks to some honestly genius forethought, you have more power over how your character performs in the heat of battle, when they meet certain criteria (yes, it does make a huge difference!!). That, and simple things, like calling your horse and jumping on it with a single button, may seem simple but they add much to the whole feeling of the combat in this game huge, slick, fast, and of a coordinated chaotic ballet, and in many way the repetition of the combat is somewhat tempered, though I can understand the repetition may come through on occasion. I would normally give this a 9, saying that its really a specialist kind of a game, and that for the cost it is, you'd really have to commit to this (or play a demo). But be damned, in this time ironically, this is a fresh vital thing, not just to the series, but of software in general to play at the moment. I personally give this a 10, as I think its that good its now up to you, if you haven't played this series in a long time, to decide whether its worth the outlay, but I still urge you to try it. Expand
  6. Jul 17, 2013
    Everything about this game is an improvement for the series. The combat, the maps, the gameplay, the music...everything. As a fantastic bonus, free-mode is back and a new insanely fun "Ambition" mode. I haven't even touched any of the story mode yet, i've only been in ambition mode :)

My 1 and only complaint is the mini-map! It isn't a mini-map it's a medium sized map! I seriously hope KOEI shrinks that thing down.
  7. Nov 7, 2013
    Dynasty warriors 8 is the bast one so far. The all new what if factor may be the bast part because it adds a whole lot of new content. The story modes have been improved I say and take a long time to finish.
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    Excellent game play, improved combat, better weapons system, revised storyline with hypothetical scenarios, continued amazingly composed soundtrack and overall high octane experience.
  9. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dynasty Warriors 8 is about the Three Kingdoms + Jin Kingdom. A typical Dynasty Warriors game. You mash buttons to do combos to defeat thousands of soldiers like a super sayajin. Graphics and visuals are really good. The story is really good and interesting. Its a really easy game, but a little warning from me. It can make you addicted to it.
    To summarize: its a really good game, were you can play over 100 of hours. It should be the best Dynasty Warriors game for those, who don't know or haven't played Dynasty Warriors yet.

1. games(TM)
    Aug 21, 2013
    Quite easily one of the best Dynasty Warriors games for a long time. [Issue#138, p.112]
  2. Play UK
    Aug 20, 2013
    Fans of the series will be pleasantly surprised. [Issue#234, p.78]
  3. A capable and involving massacre-'em-up shaped from a rusting cookie cutter, but one begging for modernisation via an engine overhaul and some good ideas. [Sept 2013, p.90]