7.5

1. Oct 30, 2017
    A hack and slash uncharted, well that's the closest you can get in one sentence, and uncharted is one of my favorite game franchises so I throroughly enjoyed this game. In this game, you are are in a journey with a fellow "prison" escapee who tries to get revenge against the capturors. It's unfortunate then that the story begins with a mystery and then eventually unfolds into anotherA hack and slash uncharted, well that's the closest you can get in one sentence, and uncharted is one of my favorite game franchises so I throroughly enjoyed this game. In this game, you are are in a journey with a fellow "prison" escapee who tries to get revenge against the capturors. It's unfortunate then that the story begins with a mystery and then eventually unfolds into another revenge quest. In game you traverse in an almost uncharted style (climbing, jumping while holding onto ledges (you get the point), while trip sometimes help you or vice versa to get to the next point. You will also engage in simple hack and slash, and a few puzzles (really simple), a couple boss battle, some uncharted like blockbuster sequences, and that's the game. Now the combat while generic, gets the job done for me. i loved the traversal and this game really shines when it does the whole uncharted sequences. Times this game struggles is when it throws waves and waves of enemies at you, with it's generic combat, it gets repetitive. Framerate issues is also an issue throughout the game, and the draw distance is not very good. Overall the game is good, the first half was amazing (the blockbuster sequences, new enemies gradually introduced, couple of fun boss battles, the cloud aka surfing levels); while the second half lacked variety and failed to provide anything fresh, so it became a chore to finish. I must also add that trip and monkey is one of the weirdest relationships i've ever seen in a game, she kills you for venturing too far from her.. what? But overall, definitely recommend; especially for uncharted fans. 8.5/10 Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2017
    its a very solid game with some problems, such as the frame rate drops a lot and also the textures are a bit unclear. the game play is fast past and smooth.
  3. Oct 22, 2016
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action-adventure platform video game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco Bandai Games.

+ Good Story and Characters
    + Fun Combat and Plataforms
  4. Oct 9, 2016
    Enslaved era um jogo que eu nao dava nada, mais me supreendeu muito, um ótimo jogo, sem falar que a historia do game é baseada no livro Jornada ao Oeste, o mesmo livro que inspirou Dragon Ball, tem momentos bons, a trilha sonora é boa, o grafico é excelente, ainda supreende, Enslaved é um ótimo game que vale apena ser visto. Nota 9.2
  5. Jul 4, 2016
    This game surprised me. I thought it was going to be different than what it is. It has a nice story line, sort of, but still keeps me interested. Monkey is very quick moving and you don't have to worry about him falling off a cliff or anything. The commands for using both characters in tandem or excellent. I never played a game like this before; it's unique. I don't like the machineThis game surprised me. I thought it was going to be different than what it is. It has a nice story line, sort of, but still keeps me interested. Monkey is very quick moving and you don't have to worry about him falling off a cliff or anything. The commands for using both characters in tandem or excellent. I never played a game like this before; it's unique. I don't like the machine enemies very much; they present lots of challenges. Each level has a specific layout that you can see. It's like a puzzle and you have to figure out how to get through it without being killed. Overall, it's much better than I thought. It gets my adrenaline up, so I need a break from it sometimes. Definitely action packed, this game I'd say is worth it. Expand
  6. Feb 16, 2016
    This game has been in the discount bin for so long it's actually hard to believe it's a gem. The storyline is not something I think of when I play these types of games but this was by far the exception. The level design and art style was well done. I think the only reason it didn't make it big is because people don't know about it. There's a reason its got a cult following. DefinitelyThis game has been in the discount bin for so long it's actually hard to believe it's a gem. The storyline is not something I think of when I play these types of games but this was by far the exception. The level design and art style was well done. I think the only reason it didn't make it big is because people don't know about it. There's a reason its got a cult following. Definitely play this game! Expand
  7. Jan 12, 2016
    Enslaved Odyssey to the west
    A grind that pays off
    Enslaved tells the story of trip and monkey. The game starts out with the 2 of them escaping a slave ship, when they land, monkey finds that trip has put a device on his head to enslave or control him. If she dies, he dies, she wants help getting back to her home and feels this is the only way she can guarantee monkey will help her.
    Enslaved Odyssey to the west
    A grind that pays off
    Enslaved tells the story of trip and monkey.
    So they set off on a post apocalyptical adventure to take trip home
    This game is a platform adventure game,
    A very prince of Persia feel to it,
    You spend most of the game traversing walls, and hopping across bars
    with the occasional combat with mechs
    The combat system is fairly simple with block, heavy attacks, light attacks, and blasters.
    You can stun and shoot enemies, or just go hand to hand,
    But again, combat is very few and far between,
    This is mostly climbing and solving puzzles by communicating back and forth with Trip
    The gameplay is pretty fun and addictive most of the way through the game,
    I love the adventure as much as I loved the fluent and responsive platforming that never got too complex…
    But it slowly becomes repetitive and the final 3rd of the game just becomes a flat out drag
    The world goes from colorful and mysterious to gray, brown, and boring..
    The only thing that kept me going was the story of Trip and Monkey, and I was so happy I followed through.
    Its just a shame I felt like I had to force myself through the final hours.
    If you love story you’ll love Enslaved, if you’re here for the gameplay, look elsewhere.
    I give Enslaved Odyssey to The West
    a
    7.5/10
  8. Jul 23, 2015
    Enslaved is quite an original IP, offering interesting and well written characters and story, this is definitely the best part of the game. Technically the graphics were average at the time, but I've seen 0 bugs and a stable framerate on my playthrough so good job Ninja Theory.

On the other side I would have liked a bigger diversity concerning both the enemies and the locations, with a subtitle such as Odyssey to the West, I was expecting a true Road Trip but in reality it's more a Walk to The West , 4-5 locations and characters, that will last approximately 10 hours.
    The same lack of diversity apply to the gameplay, there is no combo, the climbing is generic (similar to an Uncharted without the same cinematic value).

All in all it could have been some solid and entertaining foundations to a new license if only the title was a commercial hit, unfortunately those defaults will be , with the story, what you'll recall from Enslaved.

PS: I bough the Premium Edition for the same price on the PSN and doing so was granted the Pigsy's perfect 10 expansion, which is a very good one, offering a very different gameplay, with a length of 2-3 hours and still a very good story, For that edition raise the mark to an 8.
  9. Apr 18, 2015
    Отличный представитель своего жанра,интересные персонажи и вселенная сделали свое дело.
    Минусы конечно имеются (не самая разнообразная боевая система),но обращать на них внимания желания не появляется.
  10. Feb 13, 2015
    Absolutely loved it! Good graphics, good story (only the end sucks!), you have to get used to the controls but when learn it really plays well! I don´t get the bashing about being sexist, i couldn´t find anything sexist about this game.
  11. Jan 25, 2015
    Pros- 1) Characters: There's just enough personality and great voice-acting to make them believable. The models are good and depict emotion and reactions very well. 2) Story: There's not much to the story but it makes sense and gives the game reason. The ending is a bit underwhelming but at least concludes the main plot. 3) Graphics: The atmosphere and landscapes are detailed and fluent.Pros- 1) Characters: There's just enough personality and great voice-acting to make them believable. The models are good and depict emotion and reactions very well. 2) Story: There's not much to the story but it makes sense and gives the game reason. The ending is a bit underwhelming but at least concludes the main plot. 3) Graphics: The atmosphere and landscapes are detailed and fluent. The character models look great. 4) Gameplay: The combat is fun and varied and getting around environments is fluid.

Cons- 1) Variety: Granted, the game does a good job of implementing different auxiliaries gameplay but plateaus quickly. Some of these things you end up not using anymore, for instance, the "Follow" and "distract" commands. You end up approaching every scenario the same. 2) Collecting Orbs: You collect orbs scattered around levels to upgrade your character. Some people may love it as you earn trophies for it but I don't care to much for it.

Good pick to play for cheap and get you through to your next purchase.
  12. Nov 1, 2014
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game-play:Some nice platform mechanics but he rest of the game have slow combat and bad AI.

Story:The strongest point of the game is the story that focus on only two characters and it does a good job but the ending is fail.The game it will keep you about 12 hours.

Graphics:Ok graphics.

Notes:Buy it only in price drop.
  13. Oct 9, 2014
    An underrated and memorable adventure. There are plenty of shortcomings; the poor ending and repetitive enemies to name two, but the colour palette, score, voice acting (Andy Serkis no less) and emotional attachment to the main two characters put this game ahead of many that try to be creative and fail.
  14. Oct 7, 2014
    The game is vibrant, has an interesting story which practically begs for a sequel where things are further fleshed out. I picked this game up for a bargain so I'm able to give this game a 6 instead of a 4, because people who paid full price for this product and aren't completely blind to frame rate drops would've surely felt gypped. There's frame rate drops (think Killzone 2 multiplayer,The game is vibrant, has an interesting story which practically begs for a sequel where things are further fleshed out. I picked this game up for a bargain so I'm able to give this game a 6 instead of a 4, because people who paid full price for this product and aren't completely blind to frame rate drops would've surely felt gypped. There's frame rate drops (think Killzone 2 multiplayer, which could be pretty bad at times) and then there's FRAME RATE DROPS. This game falls in the latter category. It's worse than the letdown that is GTA V. If there's one thing that's an absolute deal breaker to any worthy gem of a game, it's this. Apparently it doesn't have the same problem on Xbox 360 and I just spotted it on Steam, so pick it up for those platforms instead where you can because the game itself is definitely worth playing. Expand
  15. Sep 4, 2014
    I thought this game would have been a lot better due to the enthusiastic reviews I read. Truth is it's not bad at all, but could have been better. I don't mind its linearity, but I found its combat system a bit unappealing (I barely used some of the moves I unlocked through the game, except in the sections that required to do so) and its plot borderline between shallow and intriguing. It'sI thought this game would have been a lot better due to the enthusiastic reviews I read. Truth is it's not bad at all, but could have been better. I don't mind its linearity, but I found its combat system a bit unappealing (I barely used some of the moves I unlocked through the game, except in the sections that required to do so) and its plot borderline between shallow and intriguing. It's not one of those games that spoon feed every plot element and it requires you to keep attention to details, every once in a while, but this is not a problem. The problem is that the ending comes and goes at light speed. I understand that maybe the developers wanted to leave it open to interpretation (or they expected to make a sequel), but the game ends almost abruptly after the final boss. And by the way, boss fights are VERY underwhelming and way too easy. The art direction is stellar, though. Awesome, lush environments and a lot of inventive.
    Overall it's not a bad game, as I already mentioned, but it could have been better.
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    If you like heavenly sword you know what you're in for. But the gameplay isn't as fluid as heavenly sword. And this game is actually just a bit less then heavenly sword in every way.
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    it´s not only a odyssey to the west, it´s one of the greatest adventures i ever went on!

The relationship between monkey and trip is a huge part of the game...you really feel their emotions during the game, which i never experienced in a video game that strong! climbing and fighting might technically not be the best you ever experienced, i agree, but it´s not the main part of the

climbing and fighting might technically not be the best you ever experienced, i agree, but it´s not the main part of the game....
    the world, the story and the bond between two lovely character, is what makes this game one of the best i played in 15 years of gaming!

MASTERPIECE!
  18. Jan 22, 2013
    Great game! Loved the game play and the cut scenes. I loved the way Trip and Monkey connect in a way that only this game could capture. Camera angles are to be desired but that was hardly an issue. I never really felt like I didn't know what to do at certain times. I've never gotten stuck for more than 3 minutes on one area. The only real issue i had with the game was how much of a jerkGreat game! Loved the game play and the cut scenes. I loved the way Trip and Monkey connect in a way that only this game could capture. Camera angles are to be desired but that was hardly an issue. I never really felt like I didn't know what to do at certain times. I've never gotten stuck for more than 3 minutes on one area. The only real issue i had with the game was how much of a jerk Trip acted like until you finally are sitting with her alone. Either way this game was great! Expand
  19. Jan 14, 2013
    I give it 7 out of 10 for absolutely terrible camera angles, no lock on system and a very disappointing conclusion of the story. Also the character of Trip was a major let down as the story progressed.
  20. Oct 29, 2012
    This game is one that definately picked a hard time to be released, as it bombed for the most part in sales. This is tragic, as this game can easily be called this generation's Ico. Not only for the escort based gameplay, but for its amazingly cinematic qualities, and wonderful environments. Andy Serkis does an amazing job as the main character, Monkey, and if the games had Emmies, heThis game is one that definately picked a hard time to be released, as it bombed for the most part in sales. This is tragic, as this game can easily be called this generation's Ico. Not only for the escort based gameplay, but for its amazingly cinematic qualities, and wonderful environments. Andy Serkis does an amazing job as the main character, Monkey, and if the games had Emmies, he would have won for best lead actor. If you want a great story driven game, this is it. If you still dont get what this game is like, picture Uncharted, only in a scifi future post apocalypse setting. Mind you, thats a very simple description, as its better described as an amazing achievement in story in games. The only reason its a 9 to me is due to some slightly loose controls, and some confusing puzzle segments with Trip. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2012
    Charismatic and unforgettable characters make you ignore the repetitive enemies and combats. The interaction between Monkey and Trip is very cool. IT'S A VERY FUN GAME, what is important.
  22. Jun 14, 2012
    Hugely underrated game and that's such a shame because it is a lavish and interesting world with delightfully endearing characters. It's another of those that I was bought a long time ago that I've only just played - out of guilt over my neglect and I've thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end, so much so I've now bought the Perfect dlc. There are two small flaws, sometimes the cameraHugely underrated game and that's such a shame because it is a lavish and interesting world with delightfully endearing characters. It's another of those that I was bought a long time ago that I've only just played - out of guilt over my neglect and I've thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end, so much so I've now bought the Perfect dlc. There are two small flaws, sometimes the camera angles are annoyingly ropey making fights harder than they should be and conversely during other sections it holds your hand just a bit too happily making these parts too easy. Otherwise I loved it, a fun and interesting take on a classic myth, a beautiful steampunk-esque world I wish I could have explored a lot more and some of the best characters in video games ever. Expand
  23. Jun 5, 2012
    The frame rate is dismal. Anything I type beyond this point doesn't really matter simply because of this fact. How can a game be enjoyable with 10 FPS and screen tearing unless it's a game of chess? To quote a certain game reviewer God: "What were they thinking??" Does Ninja Theory even have a QA department? Haven't they actually playtested this with people who aren't completely blind toThe frame rate is dismal. Anything I type beyond this point doesn't really matter simply because of this fact. How can a game be enjoyable with 10 FPS and screen tearing unless it's a game of chess? To quote a certain game reviewer God: "What were they thinking??" Does Ninja Theory even have a QA department? Haven't they actually playtested this with people who aren't completely blind to low FPS and screen tearing? They should hang their heads in shame like a Japanese company that screwed up. And truely feel the shame. What maybe is even more disappointing about this game on PS3 is the fact the game itself is quite enjoyable if you like to smash metal enemies with a stick. Sure it's linear, and it holds your hand with the underlying idea gamers have no conscious thought processes to guide them to make the right decisions in games, but if you look past all the modern obstacles of these "games" where cutscenes seem to be more important than real. actual. gameplay. (I'm looking at you, MGS 4!) , this game has some nice popcorn value by mindlessly slicing through mobs as you would in an MMO or Conan / GoW / Heavenly Sword clone. Also riding on "the cloud" gives you a brief moment of freedom, that is, until you die from moving too far out thanks to that infernal headband. But we knew this from the title and chapter 2 cutscene: you're enslaved.

Pick this game up if you own an Xbox 360, or if you can find it for $5 in a bargain bin for PS3. In case of the PS3 port, it simply isn't worth more.
  24. May 4, 2012
    A very beautiful game that is worth playing. The art direction, character models, and environments are all top notch. The story is pretty good and the characters and voice acting are very believable. The game is not very long, but it is really let down in game play. This game is worth playing just on the strength of the story and characters alone. But when compared to other platformingA very beautiful game that is worth playing. The art direction, character models, and environments are all top notch. The story is pretty good and the characters and voice acting are very believable. The game is not very long, but it is really let down in game play. This game is worth playing just on the strength of the story and characters alone. But when compared to other platforming environmental puzzle type games, this one falls for to the bottom. The controls are very clunky when compared to Prince of Persia games, or AC. The game is much more fun to watch than to play. Expand
  25. May 4, 2012
    This is still one of my favorite games of all time. It is beautiful, engaging and very fun world to be in. If more games were this colorful I would get more replay value for my purchases. I can't say enough good things about this game, from the voice acting to Serkis's Monkey movements and environments. Highly recommended.
  26. May 2, 2012
    I had a great time with Enslaved, the world was interesting and the characters were moving, especially in the middle of the game.

The game is not hard per say, though I did get stuck a few times. The gameplay is largely thematic. Graphically the sets are nice, but there appear to be issues with the engine's performance as sometimes texture pop and frame split. Not much to say without

Not much to say without spoiling anything, but I will say it is best on the PS3 despite some claiming more graphical glitching, the controls feel a bit smoother better than when I played on the 360.

I do have a faster 3rd party 7200RPM drive in the PS3 with a 4GB cache. (Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch)
  27. Apr 10, 2012
    i picked this game up for 5 pound pre owned. and i would have payed double. its a very good game. gr8 action. top voice acting. the visuals are breathtaking. it does have a few frame rate issues. and monkeys does not have a many combat moves as i would like. but apart from that if you see this game cheap pick it up. you will not be disappointed.
  28. Mar 30, 2012
    Gameplay wise there is nothing groundbreaking here, if anything it's a little bit repetetive although some really fun boss battles and other variations in the gameplay break the monotony. What makes this game brilliant are the characters and their relationships which rival any other game and cinematic experience I've ever had. Would be a ten if it had gameplay to match but a thoroughlyGameplay wise there is nothing groundbreaking here, if anything it's a little bit repetetive although some really fun boss battles and other variations in the gameplay break the monotony. What makes this game brilliant are the characters and their relationships which rival any other game and cinematic experience I've ever had. Would be a ten if it had gameplay to match but a thoroughly rewarding game nonetheless. Expand
  29. Mar 17, 2012
    I too found this to be an enjoyable game, and joined this site simply to write a review. Don't pass on it simply because some others did not enjoy it or did not like it. I played this game right after finishing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and I have to say that I enjoyed this game more than Uncharted. I do agree that the game is easier than some other action/adventure games on the marketI too found this to be an enjoyable game, and joined this site simply to write a review. Don't pass on it simply because some others did not enjoy it or did not like it. I played this game right after finishing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and I have to say that I enjoyed this game more than Uncharted. I do agree that the game is easier than some other action/adventure games on the market in terms of puzzle solving, but that could be balanced by increasing the difficulty of the game itself. Besides, the story is compelling enough to keep you playing, even if you are a bit bored (I personally liked button mashing and killing enemy after enemy in various ways). You're not going to find the depth of character customization like in a Bioshock, and you're not going to be blown away by some new and original game mechanics, but this is a solid game from start to finish and should not be overlooked. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    MOST UNDERRATED GAME EVER!!!!!!

I just dont get how can people dislike this game.. It AMAZING! The story is really, the characters are really likeable, and the game is FUN,, i recommend this game to EVERYONE!
  31. Mar 2, 2012
    this game tries to copy uncharted's climbing and god of war's combat but it fails horribly. This game suffers from really clunky, late-responsiding controls and alot of framerate issues. Do not buy this piece of garbage.
  32. Feb 19, 2012
    This game BY FAR the most UNDERRATED game this gen!!! Honestly i would buy this game over an OVERRATED game like call of duty anyday.. Btw This game is a like a mix between uncharted+prince of persia.. I highly recommend it especially if you like action-adventure games
  33. Feb 19, 2012
    Enslaved: odyssey to the west is BY FAR the most UNDERRATED game this gen!!! Honestly i dont know how can people buy a game like call of duty every year and not buy this game. This game is a like a mix between uncharted+prince of persia.. I highly recommend it especially if you like action-adventure games
  34. Jan 19, 2012
    Enslaved OttW is okay, that's about it. Nothing it does it does remarkably well and on top of it, the game is super simplified in combat and â
  35. Dec 2, 2011
    Enslaved is a game that trades solely on its looks. Unable to give their games mechanical depth, Ninja Theory hide the lack of quality in their games through well-acted (though poorly written) cutscenes and desperately hope they don't choke the console running them as bad as the gameplay does. The performance on PS3 is absolutely terrible, but fortunately there's nothing to the game, soEnslaved is a game that trades solely on its looks. Unable to give their games mechanical depth, Ninja Theory hide the lack of quality in their games through well-acted (though poorly written) cutscenes and desperately hope they don't choke the console running them as bad as the gameplay does. The performance on PS3 is absolutely terrible, but fortunately there's nothing to the game, so outside of horrendously designed combat scenarios that cause the framerate to drop into single digits, you won't be in real danger, even when Monkey takes forever to respond to button presses. The story is also totally worthless; your suspension of disbelief will have been thoroughly shattered by the end of the tutorial section, then savagely beaten across the subsequent chapters. There is simply no compelling reason to buy this game. Expand
  36. Nov 17, 2011
    This is such an under-looked game.Most people skipped this one but should definitely go back and check it out. It's a very good game that has a lot of emotions put into it.
  37. Nov 6, 2011
    What a great game! Loved the story, the characters and the level design was great as well. Playing the game felt like I was on an adventure. A sense of discovery. The gameplay was very enjoyable, the enemies were a blast to defeat. I would of rated this game a perfect 10 if, it wasnt for the technical issues. 1. being the out dated graphics. The close up animations were amazing, but theWhat a great game! Loved the story, the characters and the level design was great as well. Playing the game felt like I was on an adventure. A sense of discovery. The gameplay was very enjoyable, the enemies were a blast to defeat. I would of rated this game a perfect 10 if, it wasnt for the technical issues. 1. being the out dated graphics. The close up animations were amazing, but the gameplay graphics seemed to be not as sharp. Expand
  38. Oct 16, 2011
    Enslaved is a hard game to describe. It's an adventure sci-fi game that promises so much, but in the end dissapoints. The first chapter of the game is simply stunning, with extremely high production values and a promising story. After that chapter everything goes downhill. The characters in the game, Monkey and Trip, are so inconsistent with their behaviour, and they change theirEnslaved is a hard game to describe. It's an adventure sci-fi game that promises so much, but in the end dissapoints. The first chapter of the game is simply stunning, with extremely high production values and a promising story. After that chapter everything goes downhill. The characters in the game, Monkey and Trip, are so inconsistent with their behaviour, and they change their personallities mid-game. The action is decent, but it doesn't evolve beyond the ''hit a robot in testicles'' premise. The story was so predictable that I couldn't help but laugh during one of the many ''emotional'' cutscenes. The dialog is decent but I despise Trip's personallity and Monkey for being an idiot that does whatever she tells him to do. the puzzles are rather simple too so there is basically no challenge to this game. That's not to say the game is BAD. The game is solid enough that I wanted to keep playing depite it's flaws. The vibrant world and easy going platforming made the game somewhat enjoyable and the boss fights are a nice break from the mindless ''robot kicking'' routine. But really, I thought the game will shine, cus I was craving a good adventure game for a while,now. This one is merely O.K but it never excells at anything and that's a real damn shame. Expand
  39. Sep 25, 2011
    Enslaved is a fantastic game, and it is sad that it did not see more retail success. Like Beyond Good and Evil before it, Enslaved attempts to tell an engrossing story with a number of gameplay styles. For the most part, it succeeds. The characters are well-acted and the action is often intense. The music is also good, though not particularly memorable. The visuals range from acceptable toEnslaved is a fantastic game, and it is sad that it did not see more retail success. Like Beyond Good and Evil before it, Enslaved attempts to tell an engrossing story with a number of gameplay styles. For the most part, it succeeds. The characters are well-acted and the action is often intense. The music is also good, though not particularly memorable. The visuals range from acceptable to good, with occasional moments of excellence.

The game falters at a few points. There are some odd bugs, and occasionally the camera seems intent on obscuring what you need to see. The controls are mostly spot-on, but take some getting used to. In particular, The Cloud is unwieldy in tight spots. That is a shame, because it starts off exciting. It becomes less fun as levels require you to be more precise on it. Thankfully, at about the point you become frustrated with it, it goes away. The climbing could be compared to a more frantic Infamous, with the same style of "assisted platforming" such navigation tends to require. Enslaved isn't as open as Infamous, of course, and the climbing follows preset routes rather than an open city. True to its name, Enslaved is about a journey. Such things typically run in more or less a straight line, so linearity isn't a problem.

I completed Enslaved over the course of a weekend, on Normal difficulty. I had a great time, but don't feel the need to return to it. I've skipped on the DLC as well. The game's main story seems more than sufficient. I'd recommend Enslaved to any fan of a good story. With a script by Alex Garland(28 Days Later, Sunshine), Enslaved features interesting characters with more depth than the majority of video games. Direction and performance from Andy Serkis(best known for playing Gollum in the Lord of the Rings films), means you'll also find of the best acting ever to grace interactive entertainment. Lindsey Shaw is captivating as Trip, and Richard Riding's Pigsy is appropriately funny and off-putting. I can't emphasize it enough: developer Ninja Theory set out to create a compelling story told through the medium of video games, and did an admirable job. Ninja Theory succeeds where so many developers before them have failed.

If you want to experience a thrilling, well-produced story, Enslaved will take leave you satisfied. People looking for exploration, multiplayer, or a longer game should probably look elsewhere.
  40. Sep 22, 2011
    I just have to submit my review for this game because I had such a terrible experience with it (PS3 version). First off are the technical problems. This game's frame ate hovers down to the 10fps - 15fps range most of the time, even when nothing crazy is going onscreen. But add in the horrendous screen tearing, and my head was aching within minutes. I found myself frustrated and irritableI just have to submit my review for this game because I had such a terrible experience with it (PS3 version). First off are the technical problems. This game's frame ate hovers down to the 10fps - 15fps range most of the time, even when nothing crazy is going onscreen. But add in the horrendous screen tearing, and my head was aching within minutes. I found myself frustrated and irritable after every session! I literally forced myself to finish this game just so i can sell it online, get my money back and rid myself of it.

Second is the gameplay. The fighting aspect of it is brainless, but that's okay. The biggest flaw is the platforming. It is literally on rails. You cannot fall to your death in this game, you can probably play it with your eyes closed. There is no challenge, and therefore it isn't fun.

Lastly, the ending. I won't spoil it, but it just went WTF at the end. The game started out great, I admit I cared about Trip and Monkey, but the story went nowhere. Andy Serkis' real life ugly mug is on this game, like the developers ran out of time or budget to create a character and instead just saved a couple of Serkis' pics off of Facebook and used it in game. This game really sucks.
  41. Sep 14, 2011
    This game was $8 where I bought it from, and I can say I've never gotten more out of $8 than I have with this game ! It's fun and unique and the ending blew me away !

I really would have given this game higher numbers, but I felt like I was fighting the camera for 90% of the game. While it's not a deal breaker it really is a nuisance in areas where certain death is assured without perfect movements.

This game has great pacing, the opening 10 minutes are a heart pounding thrill ride that will have you wanting to delve deeper into the world you've suddenly been thrust into.

The characters are really unique and voice acting is really superb with the likes of Andy Serkis (Lord of the rings/The Prestige) The world you play is a robot infested future wasteland, where robots and humans are on opposite sides of the field.

This at it's heart is a hack and slash adventure, with an RPG like skill tree for abilities. Which you will want to explore to build your character growth up.

This game took me by surprise and I can't stress enough that it's worth the low cost. The pacing is good, the story is good, and the characters will grow on you by the way it all unfolds.

If you liked games like Darksiders, and Uncharted then you'll like this game to, it's an adventure that shouldn't be passed on. Especially because you can find it at such good pricing.
  42. Aug 15, 2011
    i was not able to keep going with this game after playing a little into chapter 2, so why is this game getting a 5 if i could not play it ill tell you why. this game is clearly not for everyone and i unfourtunatly was one of those that it was not ment for i personally just couldnt get into the game but the little bit i did play i saw nothing wrong with. my brother on the other hand lovedi was not able to keep going with this game after playing a little into chapter 2, so why is this game getting a 5 if i could not play it ill tell you why. this game is clearly not for everyone and i unfourtunatly was one of those that it was not ment for i personally just couldnt get into the game but the little bit i did play i saw nothing wrong with. my brother on the other hand loved this game but says once you beat the game there is nothing to do but play thorugh again and try to get the trophies you missed. my opinion rent but dont buy unless you know for sure you will play through it a couple times Expand
  43. Jul 9, 2011
    Enslaved is a great game bogged down by some less than great game play. The story in Enslaved is nothing to write home about, but the characters and environments bring it to life. The story has an interesting twist at the end, though it felt that it ended abruptly (might just be me). Although it only has a handful of characters, they are all fleshed out very well. From the subtle facialEnslaved is a great game bogged down by some less than great game play. The story in Enslaved is nothing to write home about, but the characters and environments bring it to life. The story has an interesting twist at the end, though it felt that it ended abruptly (might just be me). Although it only has a handful of characters, they are all fleshed out very well. From the subtle facial animations in the cut-scenes, to the way they move in game, to their dialogue, all three of the main characters are great. The interaction between Trip and Monkey is one of the best I've ever seen. The visual style in Enslaved is beautiful, and some of the vistas shown in post-apocalyptic New York are jaw dropping, but there are some problems. There are some noticeable visual problems, the most obvious being textures loading later than they are supposed to, (I forget the technical name), and the landscapes during the motorcycle scenes are downright ugly. If you are looking for deep and challenging game play, Enslaved doesn't have it. In most encounters you are told exactly what to do. In Combat you are given most of your combat tools early on, and there are really only three types of enemies that show up (aside from bosses) so things can get repetitive. There is a customization system, but it isn't very deep. Platforming is fun, but aside from a few crumbling handholds and moving obstacles, it doesn't involve any risk. Even though it isn't very deep, everything works and manages to be fun. I should also say that this probably the best escort game play I've seen in a game because, for once, the person you're escorting is actually more useful than a bag of rocks. If you enjoy a good story driven game, you owe it to yourself to give Enslaved a try. Expand
  44. Jun 23, 2011
    one of the best adventure games ever made monkey and trip go on a epic adventure to escape the ruins of new york while being chased by mechs Across the ruins of new york. who still think there is a war so they shoot all humans on site because that's what there programed to do. the gameplay is a smooth as you would want it. absolute beautiful, graphics and environment details. the storyone of the best adventure games ever made monkey and trip go on a epic adventure to escape the ruins of new york while being chased by mechs Across the ruins of new york. who still think there is a war so they shoot all humans on site because that's what there programed to do. the gameplay is a smooth as you would want it. absolute beautiful, graphics and environment details. the story is just epic this game reminds me of uncharted 2 it has excellent facial animation but now its dated thanks to la noire if you like adventure games you will love enslaved odyssey to the west. come on ninja theory make a sequel for the fans. this game didn't get the reception it deserves. 10/10 Expand
  45. Apr 17, 2011
    This takes place in a surprisingly lush and green post-apocalyptic world, full of dangerous mech's that attack you at every turn. You play as Monkey, a really likable character who's forced to accompany Trip, a resourceful female, back to her home through the dangerous countryside. Most combat is melee with a staff, though there's a small bit of shooting as well. And a lot ofThis takes place in a surprisingly lush and green post-apocalyptic world, full of dangerous mech's that attack you at every turn. You play as Monkey, a really likable character who's forced to accompany Trip, a resourceful female, back to her home through the dangerous countryside. Most combat is melee with a staff, though there's a small bit of shooting as well. And a lot of platforming - climbing around in and on the partially destroyed buildings in this dystopian future. The characters are the star here, well developed and very sympathetic. The environments are really gorgeous and quite varied. Combat takes a short while to learn, but once you do it's fun and challenging. My main complaint is the camera, which swings around wildly during combat, making it a real pain to see what you're doing. Wish I had a dollar for every time time I missed somebody by 180 degrees because the camera picked that moment to pivot around. Overall this is a fun and engaging game and now that it's in the bargain bin I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Expand
  46. Apr 15, 2011
    Short review: Their work on Heavenly Sword is better, but this game is still enjoyable. The bond between the two main characters develops over time, which is nice, but the gameplay starts to feel a little repetitive. The imagination behind the levels/environments is impressive, though.
  47. Apr 12, 2011
    This game failed to deliver. I had pretty high hopes for this game. The story and overall presentation seemed like this would be a sleeper hit. A big shame the game fell short. This is rental worthy at best.
  48. Apr 3, 2011
    Awesome game! Good visuals, good game play. it could be much better, sure, but it is good as it is. Its easy to like Monkey and Trip and travel adventure with them in through the wasteland.

Perfect adventure!
  49. Mar 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O.k., this game was great overall and is worth the buy, but that being said, let me get into how it disappointed me in a few ways. (1) The story is too short. I loved and enjoyed all of it, but it felt like it went by too quickly. about 3/4 of the way through when your introduced to pigsy and do a few sidequests, the game kicks it into overdrive not making any stops into fillerville (which going into filler ville is sometimes is wanted and o.k.), and the game ends making you feel like the creators were'nt able to get everything in that they wanted, not that the ending was'nt good, but it felt a tad rushed. I would have died for a few missions that introduced new characters, maybe show some other societies, gone into more of the romance between monkey and trip, anything would have sufficed. The end contrasted a bit from the beginning which was so captivating and felt like it was gonna go the route i wanted, which it did till alittle after pigsy. When you feel the end at hand, it impairs the story a bit unless it had more support and more depth built into it, which the support it had was good quality stuff, but you need a bit more in your combo meter before you perform your kudegra. At the end you wanna say "wow, that was a great ride" and not "man, i can't believe its over (which with no sequel in sight also makes you sad that this wonderful universe will never be expanded on except in dlc)." Which is a hell of a lot better than saying "thank God its over" but is still not perfection.

(2) Although the slaver plot was resolved, the situation between monkey and trip did'nt have closure, I was half-expecting a scene to explain what happened to trip and monkey afterward, regretfully were only left with conjecture to what happens. Im not really into romance, but I really wanted to see that develop a bit more.

(3) Pigsy is a love/hate character for me. I thought he was funny 85% of the time, otherwise his humor was whatever. The way he died and his reason for commitment felt shaky to me. He was a great original character but i felt trip and monkey were much more entertaining and their story more captivating without him. I thought he was a great character, but i think they needed to pick him up, drop him off, and meet new people.

(4) Every different form of gameplay felt like it needed well crafted repeats. Fun times like when you and trip fought mechs together with teamwork felt like it needed abit more (they also needed to give trip a few more powers). Also, cloud parts were great, especially when they mixed it in with combat was entertaining. there are other examples as well but i wont go into it. Overall combat was solid, but more could have been put into it.

(5) Where the hell is everyone else, do you mean to tell me pyramid has captured everyone except trip, monkey, and pigsy? The only thing you fight is mechs, there are no more evil or good characters besides what i just mentioned. But this actually wasnt a problem for me until pigsy was introduced, it made the story feel different in a way that made me say "well if you added him, i need more characters." However before that, surviving post apocalyptic America and wondering what was gonna come around the corner next was exciting with trip and monkey. The feel of the game changes when your mission turns to revenge and to kill the slavers. The new feel was'nt bad, the humor actually improved and some things felt epic, but i did miss the carefree parts before it.

(6) glitches and framerate were not a big issue, but there. I experienced one takedown glitch, and one area where the framerate was a mild problem. Besides that, almost completely not noticeable.

Besides those few things I really loved the top notch story, the graphics were great including amazing facial expressions, the humor, the characters, and gameplay overall was very enjoyable. My rating would be a 9.1
  50. Feb 9, 2011
    Creative narrative, characters and world make Ensalved a pleasure to play through. The characters have great chemistry and the dialogue is fantastic. But with little to do in the replayability category its mark gets bumped down 1. The combat can also get a tad repetitive after awhile. The DLC while adding a few more hours still isn't nearly enough.
  51. Feb 9, 2011
    A brilliant start for a new IP with the major flaw being released when AAA titles were rolling out week after week. This game was a bit slow going at the start without the real components kicking in after a couple chapters into the game. The wrecked city of New York is beautifully carved out with colours not much seen in modern video games, the 3 major characters in the game are wellA brilliant start for a new IP with the major flaw being released when AAA titles were rolling out week after week. This game was a bit slow going at the start without the real components kicking in after a couple chapters into the game. The wrecked city of New York is beautifully carved out with colours not much seen in modern video games, the 3 major characters in the game are well thought over and have their individual personalities and the story, despite some plot holes that you'll have to fill in yourself, is very well driven, exactly what this game was made for. The more you go on into the story the more you want to find out. The game was made with sequels in mind and now it is a waiting game, as initial sales were poor due to being released at the time of GT5, Black Ops, Hot Pursuit, New Vegas etc, to see if we will be seeing those sequels and if we don't, it would be a real shame as this game has made a great start. Expand
  52. Jan 25, 2011
    How can a game like this one get a green Review score?? Framerate issues on the ps3 are seriously awful. I saw some reviews and thought this game is good, but this is no game its a freaking frameshow.

Gameplay is like Assassins Creed, fighting,plattforming, thats it? Oh yah I forgot Monkey got a hoverboard sometimes...

Positive: Story is good. Characters are cool.
  53. Jan 11, 2011
    Having grown up on the camp 70's monkey on television, I was interested in how it Ninja Theory would translate a piece of old text about a monkey god that travels with a monk to India into a modern gaming piece. Well I must say I was very impressed by the effort, as normally I find these types of games [god of war series, castlevania, devil may cry,dante's inferno, bayonetta etc] to be ofHaving grown up on the camp 70's monkey on television, I was interested in how it Ninja Theory would translate a piece of old text about a monkey god that travels with a monk to India into a modern gaming piece. Well I must say I was very impressed by the effort, as normally I find these types of games [god of war series, castlevania, devil may cry,dante's inferno, bayonetta etc] to be of little interest to me as I am not bothered by combos, don't get me wrong they have their respective place and can be a lot of fun, but after you've completed them then they normally wind up as trade in's for new releases. Yes I did trade this in, simply because after I had finished the campaign there was little replay for me. But what I did notice was the incredible story enforced by the believable voice acting and the question we all asked "will monkey and trip....you know....make with the sex?" But that aside I actually cared for the characters; well maybe not pigsy, well not until the last scene that is. The setting was artistically rendered in it's presentation, with a green overgrown apocalyptic world overrun by machines who were in need of being "smashed right up" were enjoyable. What I will say is I needed something else to come back to this hence not a perfect score? no multiplayer fine I don't need it, but some DLC or an open world game? Am I asking too much? I just hope this is not the last odyssey game, but I would like a little more replay value. Great game go try it. Expand
  54. Jan 4, 2011
    A delightfully colorful and ambient third-person action-adventure featuring some of the best characters and character interaction ever! The journey of a violent brute and a young hacker girl across a desolate, war-torn land is really something quite magical and the game holds excellent tension for all of its eight-or-so hours. A bit on the short side and beset by clunky combat and poorA delightfully colorful and ambient third-person action-adventure featuring some of the best characters and character interaction ever! The journey of a violent brute and a young hacker girl across a desolate, war-torn land is really something quite magical and the game holds excellent tension for all of its eight-or-so hours. A bit on the short side and beset by clunky combat and poor frame rate, yet a distinctly positive experience! Expand
  55. Dec 20, 2010
    I wanted to love this game, I really did. It has a cool story, great environments and graphics, and a cool idea but the gameplay is just terrible.

The climbing is clunky and frustrating. In many cases unless you are on the perfect sweet spot on a ledge or area, the main character will simply stumble or sit there until you move around, and there are no visual queues to hint at where to be. This prevents fast and fluid climbing, and after games like Assassins Creed, Infamous etc with great climbing it just doesn't cut it.

The combat is clunky as well. Monkey lacks much combat ability, he has a small handful of abilities with his pole, but nothing too exciting at all. You'll find yourself getting locked in animations and then getting whacked by mechs, or fighting bosses like the dog with very simple and repetative means to bring him down.

The absolute worst part of the game is the camera. It's so bad I just can't believe someone played this game through and thought "Yeah, this is good". Fighting mechs and want to charge a stun? Have fun, the camera resets to ground level and totally screws up your view. Fighting a rhino and need to watch the enemy to see where to dodge? Great, just let the camera reset to a sideview every time you move totally cutting your view from the enemy (in a fight where you have to keep an eye on the rhino - how did this pass?). Need to navigate a series of complicated jumps around a large area? Enjoy having a camera zoomed out 10 feet that's unpannable and you can't get your bearings. Situations like this happen all the time in Enslaved. They should have taken a queue from GoWar or Dante's Inferno and used a fixed camera they could place properly.

I don't know why I bought this after the crappy things I heard about Heavenly Sword from friends, but I know I won't be buying another Ninja Theory game soon.
  56. Dec 20, 2010
    What a great game! I wouldn't have even known about this game had it not been for the RebelFM podcast. Great action, story and graphics. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because of some glitch animation during cut scenes.
  57. Dec 11, 2010
    This. Game. Is. Great. It's hard to recollect something I didn't appreciate and fully enjoy about Enslaved. Spanning around 8 hours, Enslaved was amazing. Combat is just wonderfully epic, along with the climbing/scaling stylization of the Uncharted series, it was nothing short of FUN. With an engaging, original story, emotional points, and very enjoyable, smart dialog, Enslaved was one ofThis. Game. Is. Great. It's hard to recollect something I didn't appreciate and fully enjoy about Enslaved. Spanning around 8 hours, Enslaved was amazing. Combat is just wonderfully epic, along with the climbing/scaling stylization of the Uncharted series, it was nothing short of FUN. With an engaging, original story, emotional points, and very enjoyable, smart dialog, Enslaved was one of my favorite titles of 2010. Characterization is great, with well sculpted protagonists such as these- Enslaved is an incredible title. An easy 100 . (I made a metacritic account with one intension- to rate this game so people will enjoy it- hopefully- as much as I did.) Expand
  58. Dec 4, 2010
    One of the best games of the year, period. I will gladly hurt anyone that gives this game a bad review. The choice of Andy Serkis' voice was perfectly fitted!
  59. Nov 26, 2010
    I want to give Enslaved a great review for what it has the potential to be, capable of being, and should have been but I have to be honest and grade it on what it is. Gameplay is restrictive which is a shame because Monkey is such a agile character but is set on a linear path. Fighting is mildly entertaining despite that there's only a slight change in combo's and the only upgrade managesI want to give Enslaved a great review for what it has the potential to be, capable of being, and should have been but I have to be honest and grade it on what it is. Gameplay is restrictive which is a shame because Monkey is such a agile character but is set on a linear path. Fighting is mildly entertaining despite that there's only a slight change in combo's and the only upgrade manages to pull off in one button press which should have been fun to string together. The camera is almost deliberate in ruining the moment making the player personally pan the camera around the sections and at times obscuring pathways. The characters are amazing monkey is stoic and trip is resourceful but vulnerable. I thought the tone of the game would be serious because of the dangers of the travel and the predicament the pair where in until Pigsy entered the scene and brought so much humor. I was aware of the story writer and his works but it hardly appeared in the game. The only story that matters is Monkey and Trips journey because there is no history to what happened to the world. The only background is that there was a war which is revealed at the end of the game. At the end of the game there isn't any closure either. It's amazing for what it is but in motion it punishes the player. Rent or buy it but wear a mouth guard for when your grinding your teeth. Expand
  60. Nov 21, 2010
    All flash and no substance when it comes to game play. A few years ago we were discussing if graphics would become more popular than game play and here it is. This game held my hand in a sad way. It was way to easy yet you had to stand at the perfect spot at times to move on. The fight scenes looked cool but was way too easy. Dull and repetitive. The characters were shallow andAll flash and no substance when it comes to game play. A few years ago we were discussing if graphics would become more popular than game play and here it is. This game held my hand in a sad way. It was way to easy yet you had to stand at the perfect spot at times to move on. The fight scenes looked cool but was way too easy. Dull and repetitive. The characters were shallow and annoying. Ninja Theory should stick to what they really want to do and create movies. Expand
  61. Nov 15, 2010
    I've signed up with metacritic as I owe a review to the developers, Ninja Theory, for this awesome game. I wish it had better publicity and hope it is a sleeper success that is enjoyed by more gamers. It's seldom I sit through a game and play it straight through in a short time and Enslaved was a first. It moved along solidly, was amazingly beautiful, a well written story and nicelyI've signed up with metacritic as I owe a review to the developers, Ninja Theory, for this awesome game. I wish it had better publicity and hope it is a sleeper success that is enjoyed by more gamers. It's seldom I sit through a game and play it straight through in a short time and Enslaved was a first. It moved along solidly, was amazingly beautiful, a well written story and nicely developed characters with incredible emotional interaction and some fine performances. The detail and depth of thought behind the world by the creative developers deserves a mention. If you find it easy, max out the difficulty. I highly recommend this game it was super fun. Expand
  62. Nov 11, 2010
    A lot of people are hard on this game because of the automatic platforming and the battle system being good but not the deepest experience compared to other action games like DMC. This is an action adventure game. The story is great, the voice acting is amazing and so are the facial expressions (best in a game yet). The controls are good and allow you to enjoy the experience and while theA lot of people are hard on this game because of the automatic platforming and the battle system being good but not the deepest experience compared to other action games like DMC. This is an action adventure game. The story is great, the voice acting is amazing and so are the facial expressions (best in a game yet). The controls are good and allow you to enjoy the experience and while the game is linear there are puzzles, boss battles and other challenges to keep it from being a simple affair. This is one of my favorite games of all time, it's worth the money and play-through if you like deep experiences or adventure games like Beyond Good and Evil. Expand
  63. Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing. Beautiful looking, epic adventure, with an emotional character driven story that will suck you in. Imagine Beyond Good And Evil mixed with Uncharted 2. The strongest elements of Enslaved are the story, acting, and cinematics. The images are mostly gorgeous to look at. Each world has a unique, rich, stylized color palette. Some of the cinematic gameplay cameras showcase the worldAmazing. Beautiful looking, epic adventure, with an emotional character driven story that will suck you in. Imagine Beyond Good And Evil mixed with Uncharted 2. The strongest elements of Enslaved are the story, acting, and cinematics. The images are mostly gorgeous to look at. Each world has a unique, rich, stylized color palette. Some of the cinematic gameplay cameras showcase the world and the story with great compositions. The character lighting serves the story well, and mostly looks great. The combat system is simple but fun, and the weapon leveling system gives good incentive. The weaker points of the game are sometimes repetitive platforming scenarios, but I guess you need something to do in an action adventure combat platformer. User controlled cameras during combat can be very annoying in close quarters. There are some annoying visual anomalies as well, especially popping of baked player ambient lighting, inconsistent texture density, and visible lod popping. I encountered a a couple instances of bugs which required restarting from checkpoint in order to advance. Still, the strengths make this a special game. I look forward to more stories from this universe. Expand
  64. Nov 2, 2010
    The game play is barely existent, only enough to be able to call this a "game" in the first place, rather than just a really long movie. The platforming is a joke, and the combat, while fun, gets somewhat repetitive. The graphics are great, if a bit dated. The story, voice acting, and all cinematic aspects of Enslaved are great, though, though a bit too short. I don't know if I'd pay fullThe game play is barely existent, only enough to be able to call this a "game" in the first place, rather than just a really long movie. The platforming is a joke, and the combat, while fun, gets somewhat repetitive. The graphics are great, if a bit dated. The story, voice acting, and all cinematic aspects of Enslaved are great, though, though a bit too short. I don't know if I'd pay full retail price for this, and recommend getting it used. If you are more interested in the "gaming" aspect of games, I'd avoid this title. Otherwise it's pretty dang entertaining, and worth a rental. Expand
  65. Oct 23, 2010
    A story for the ages with new, vivid life breathed into it. The cooperative AI was actually helpful, and the combat, while not varied, is only a small part of the game. My favorite part of this game is riding Monkey's Cloud, a static hoverboard that lets him zip around the landscape like a mad man. Try if for yourself, I know I love it.
  66. Oct 22, 2010
    Having downloaded the demo and enjoyed it this game was on my radar. first and foremost its a beautiful looking game some of the graphics are really nice great use of colors to bring to life what would probably be another grey boring post apocalyptic world. The story is very well driven with great voice acting and good use of facial movements on the characters to get across the dialogue,Having downloaded the demo and enjoyed it this game was on my radar. first and foremost its a beautiful looking game some of the graphics are really nice great use of colors to bring to life what would probably be another grey boring post apocalyptic world. The story is very well driven with great voice acting and good use of facial movements on the characters to get across the dialogue, although sometimes this is not in sync. Gameplay...its executed fairly well although at times it feels like its not a finished game. The camera for one is really annoying in certain places, the developers have tried in places to give it the "resident evil" feel but it just doesnt work...Combat feels a bit repetitive at times you'll find that you will use the "hard" attack all the time . Overall the story is the driving force in this game , one reason im continuing to play it..its let down by sloppy programming, it just needs some finishing touches and a bit of polish...Rent it or buy it when the price comes down. Expand
  67. Oct 19, 2010
    This is the worst game I've played on PS3 to date. The graphics are fine, but the gameplay is nonexistent. Even as a button masher you can't lose. Button timing is oddly placed and non-addictive. Cutscene finisher appear in the middle of the action. The story is sexist and emasculating where a woman traps an animalistic, demonized man. I would not purchase or play this game for any reason.
  68. Oct 15, 2010
    What a beautiful and amazing Odyssey! The story is simple but so perfectly told. The excellent acting and voices make the characters really alive (thanks again Mr. Serkis). The game play does not reinvent the wheel but is still effective (play it in hard mode though). There are little imperfections here and there but if like me you are more concerned by having a good time following aWhat a beautiful and amazing Odyssey! The story is simple but so perfectly told. The excellent acting and voices make the characters really alive (thanks again Mr. Serkis). The game play does not reinvent the wheel but is still effective (play it in hard mode though). There are little imperfections here and there but if like me you are more concerned by having a good time following a well presented and enjoyable journey; this game is for you! Expand
  69. Oct 10, 2010
    This game is great!!... it may not have great gameplay dynamics or mechanics or bla bla bla... whatever else the techno gaming geeks love talking about... the main thing is its fun. You will want to play it. You will want to discover the rest of the story, you will want to live in the beautiful and deadly world the guys at Ninja Theory have painstakingly created. The characters are deepThis game is great!!... it may not have great gameplay dynamics or mechanics or bla bla bla... whatever else the techno gaming geeks love talking about... the main thing is its fun. You will want to play it. You will want to discover the rest of the story, you will want to live in the beautiful and deadly world the guys at Ninja Theory have painstakingly created. The characters are deep and well done with perfect voice and mition acting. Get this game, ignore the haters... its great! Expand
  70. Oct 10, 2010
    I haven't finished Enslaved completely and I'll probably never will. It's just not my cup of tea. The game contains the most impressive cut scene animations I've ever seen. The facial expressions are awesome and brings the two main characters really alive. The game makes use of the current Unreal engine and brings some good graphics: nice crisp and sharp textures and not over the top postI haven't finished Enslaved completely and I'll probably never will. It's just not my cup of tea. The game contains the most impressive cut scene animations I've ever seen. The facial expressions are awesome and brings the two main characters really alive. The game makes use of the current Unreal engine and brings some good graphics: nice crisp and sharp textures and not over the top post filters. (And I love the main menu!) I guess the story line is okay but it could have been made alot darker: on a scale between "The Road" and "Bambi" it's right in the middle. (But that's fine for most folks)
    So far so good and if you've checked the free demo you'll be spoiled with a short roller coaster ride where our main baboon escapes from a crashing cruise ship. Quite fun to play but after that the game mechanics reality show kicks in and the level design gets pretty dull and simple. There's no Bob Ross here; just some concrete and abandoned rusty cars. The worst problem with this game is the predefined places where you can jump on or off a ledge. Your main ingame monkey will spend quite some time scratching his head while standing in front of a small crate wondering why you can't simple jump on it. The positions where you can interact are very sensitive too: a little bit off to the side and you can't get off a crate. From a developer/designer point of view I really can't see why they have made this decision for a platform game. The last time I checked platform games were all about jumping on and off ledges; not a good idea to hardwire all these positions in your levels. Not only does this make level design error prone: it really kills your gameplay and makes it very very very boring. (Even for the casual gamer). Another thing that went me do "oh oh" was the ingame animations of our main character: it's looks and feels very unrealistic. I'm guessing they grabbed some running/ducking animations from the team that did the (beautiful) cut scenes and they gave it a 300% speed boost. So now you've got this 200Kg looking guy making moves like a mosquito on steroids.

I'm giving this game a 6 on overall because of the superb animations, good graphics and descent story line. The gameplay itself is hardly a 4.
  71. Oct 9, 2010
    Nowadays, there aren't very many games that capture the feel of Enslaved. You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire game, doing acrobatic platforming moves and engaging in smooth combat all executed by the hyper-realistic graphics. The game itself is very linear, but that allows it to pull off some amazing levels. In the very first level, you'll find yourself running around the outsideNowadays, there aren't very many games that capture the feel of Enslaved. You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire game, doing acrobatic platforming moves and engaging in smooth combat all executed by the hyper-realistic graphics. The game itself is very linear, but that allows it to pull off some amazing levels. In the very first level, you'll find yourself running around the outside of a crashing slave ship, something that had me grinning. But I have to say, the platforming seemed almost too easy. In fact, I found it almost impossible to die by falling during a platforming sequence, something that left me a little confused. Luckily, they didn't do the same for the combat, even though enemy encounters aren't as common as you might think. And then there are the boss battles, which challenge all your skills at the game. The story is quite good, you being a big, strong warrior named Monkey who is forced (By death-headband.) to escort the nimble, tech-smart Trip to her home village. I noticed that Trip didn't have much importance in the gameplay, as you had to protect her in only a few areas. And the ending will have you scratching your head, as it sets the game up for a sequel (Or does it?). If you enjoyed playing the Uncharted games, or if you like action-adventure games, this is for you. Expand
  72. Oct 8, 2010
    Good game, but way too easy. One of the simplest games i've ever had the pleasure of finishing. It came out on Tuesday, was completed on Wednesday. There was no challenge at all which kind of ruined it.

The story was very decent compared to most of the junk they put out these day. I just wish it was more than mindless hammering buttons, and running forward. I'm always looking for more

I'm always looking for more mature Live players to talk to. Feel free to add me on live whackedustin4u
  73. Oct 8, 2010
    + it has some great characters
    + an interesting story
    + nice art style + nice soundtrack + nice fluid character animation - gameplay can start to feel really repetitive - combat feels limited - the camera is highly annoying being restrictive a lot of the time - the platforming in the game feels very dull after a while as you cant really miss a jump you could just do all the jumps with
    + it has some great characters
    + an interesting story
    + nice art style
    + nice soundtrack
    + nice fluid character animation

- gameplay can start to feel really repetitive
    - combat feels limited
    - the camera is highly annoying being restrictive a lot of the time
    - the platforming in the game feels very dull after a while as you cant really miss a jump you could just do all the jumps with your eyes closed
    - all the orb collecting can start to get really tiresome
    - as i said above the art style is nice but technically excluding the characters themselves the games environment graphics look pretty rough looking most of the time, low res textures, lots of texture pop-in, screen tearing, also some frame rate issues here and there
  74. Oct 7, 2010
    This game is probably the best game I have played this year. It looks amazing and will keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time you're playing. What really sets it apart from any other game is that the story is much better than the normal game story "Journey to the West" really is where cinema and games meet.

The best gameplay is in the cloud sections where you fly around on

The best gameplay is in the cloud sections where you fly around on your hoverboard.

Buy it now!
  75. Oct 7, 2010
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is a game that has been on my radar for some time now. Not only is it one of the only non sequel or non remakes of Q4, but itâ
  76. Oct 6, 2010
    I created a profile here on Metacritic solely for the purpose of telling anybody who'll listen just how breathtakingly amazing every cinematic is. The subtle nuances of the facial movements, the emotional honesty of every piece of dialogue, and the real chemistry that Monkey and Trip share on screen overshadows every game (and most movies) I've ever seen. Even the performances in MassI created a profile here on Metacritic solely for the purpose of telling anybody who'll listen just how breathtakingly amazing every cinematic is. The subtle nuances of the facial movements, the emotional honesty of every piece of dialogue, and the real chemistry that Monkey and Trip share on screen overshadows every game (and most movies) I've ever seen. Even the performances in Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain seem like high school plays compared to the real believability of every line delivered. As for the game-play, it's nothing groundbreaking but pieced together very well and, like the story and characters, fits into the world that Ninja Theory has lovingly crafted. The controls can feel a little sluggish at times, but the customization is surprisingly deep and intuitive. Don't be afraid of a game which is based around one big escort mission - pick this game up now. Expand
  77. Dec 20, 2010

1. Jan 16, 2011
    Enslaved is scoring with its motivating story, the good graphics and the enjoyable, but not challenging climbing passages. Sadly, the fights are unvaried and there is no multiplayer.
  2. Dec 19, 2010
    If you're looking for a game that offers all the amazing things I've spent the last handful of paragraphs gushing over as well as one of the most interesting and original stories in a game this year, Enslaved won't disappoint.
  3. Dec 19, 2010
    Enslaved: Journey to the West is definitely a contender for game of the year.