6.4

1. Nov 6, 2013
    First of all, I have played F1 2010, F1 2012, and this is the worst F1 game. F1 2010's lack of development and ingenuity was forgivable. F1 2012 the handling was perfect. there was only room for making it fun. So I was expecting F1 2013 to have the immerse and fun experience to make an awesome game. Unfortunately, F1 2013's handling is nightmare, a lot of understeer in low speed corner and massive oversteer in high speed corners, lose back-end, a lot of wheel spin, and finally a very depressing player interface, racing game experience is so boring Expand
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    While im not a great fan of yearly releases, I agree with the ClevernameX in saying that this is the best so far. The improvements as far im concerned are where it matters the most and that's on the track. The Ai is much improved with them attacking you more, the handling is better you need a bit more finesse when accelerating now or you will suffer wheel spin which in turn effects your tyres.

Speaking of which tyre management is crucial now go of the track or spin and you will degrade your tyres leading to all sorts of problems later in the race. Fuel management is important as well, you will at some point need to conserve fuel in order to get through the race, makes for much better racing.

R&D is improved as well with the upgrades really making a difference to the car. There is a nice learning curve about the game, seems to be less bugs this year as well

All in all definitely worth a buy. A much better job by Codemasters
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    first of all, it's extremely addictive. very good visuals, polished gameplay. it's extremely hard if you increase the difficulty. it's the best F1 game i've played & one should most definitely try it.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    F1 2013 is the best in Codemasters' F1 franchise. The team at Codemasters Birmingham
    should be proud of what they have achieved yet again. Sure it's not perfect, but the game
    makes small but noticeable steps forward. Tyre management and strategy elements make
    racing on any distance thrilling, as does the improved AI and weather system, whilst new
    classic content and other modes add new
    depth never before experienced in Formula One
    games. The handling model is incredibly thrilling and satisfying. It's the best it's even been
    by a significant margin. Don't listen to all the negativity, while there are still a few problems,
    they have been blown way out of proportion and as a massive Formula One fan myself, I
    assure you that you will enjoy this game more than any other Formula One game before
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    While I wasn't thrilled that codemasters decided to charge more money for content that was already complete, F1 2013, in my opinion is the best in the series. I for one can't tell you if this is a simulation of F1 or not, I have never driven an F1 car, but the steep learning curve of the previous games thankfully returns. The classic content is a nice addition, the classic cars are hard to tame but absolutely a thrill to drive, which in the end makes you long for an 80's Mclaren even more. The core game seems much more responsive, I felt the controls in 2010 were to twitchy, and in 2012 they were slightly unresponsive. F1 2013 gave me a feeling of more control. The AI is improved, and they get into more race incidents than in previous games, which makes me feel better about my less then stellar driving. Blah blah if you are a fan of this series you probably have the game already, if you are someone looking for a challenging but rewarding racing game, this is it.

6. Mar 20, 2014
    So uhm, I got the game for the PS3. I’ve been watching F1 for a few years and I love the sport, and this franchise was one of the reasons I bought the console in the first place. The game didn’t disappoint me. The first thing you notice is just how much you can adjust the difficulty. You can play this game pretty casually, or turn off all assists, pump up the AI skill, hook up a steering wheel and throttle/break pedals (let’s face it, without many of the assists you can’t really drive properly with the standard Dualshock controller. The nature of F1 being what it is you’ll definitely get sore thumbs after a race of half or full distance regardless of difficulty/assists). The graphics aren’t that great, I mean the cars look ok but the circuits look pretty bland. Of course there’s probably not much room for improvement as far as the PS3 version is concerned (never played the game on PC but I read its graphics are pretty impressive), and graphics aren’t really that big of a concern as long as the gameplay is solid. And it kinda is but don’t get me wrong there’s some major issues with the game:
    - AI cars make very bad starts. It’s *very * easy to pass 6-7 cars on the first corner since they seem really eager to slam on the breaks way more than they need to. On the Professional AI setting (only Expert is harder) this is still an issue that takes away from the realism of the race
    - AI cars hesitate to make a move on you even when they’re tremendously faster, like 2-3 seconds a lap faster
    - The “fuel strategy” menu that pops up before the race is bugged. When you select “cautious” as your fuel strategy you’re supposed to have fuel for 5 extra laps. However this only works intermittedly as more often than not you get fuel for just 1 extra lap
    - The biggest issue of all: tyre wear scaling is way too punishing to the point of being unrealistic. Yes it’s true that in the 2013 season tyre wear played a major role in each race, but I feel it wasn’t realistically portrayed in the game, where, if you fail to pit in time the gearbox apparently has trouble shifting up. As a result the engine revs like no tomorrow and you end up losing tons of time not in corners (as you’d expect) but rather on straight lines. I kinda doubt tyre wear works like that in the real F1... (to be fair, I don’t know if this is an issue if you shift gears manually)
    - Track condition changes way too radically when it rains (or stops raining). I can’t tell you how many races have been ruined by this. This is a common scenario: the track seems fit for intermediate tyres, so you pit and guess what? half a lap later your tyres overheat and you have to put on dries, even though the track is clearly pretty wet. Half a lap later, the track is suddenly too wet for dries and you have to pit again to put on inters. What’s more frustrating is that this appears to happen only right after you pit. It’s generally a good idea to save before each pit stop (the Mid session save feature is pretty awesome), at least in changeable conditions. Also, AI opponents are clearly not affected by the weather the same way the player is. On one occasion there were 3 laps left and it started raining really hard (everyone was on inters until then). The car was clearly undrivable with inters but the leaders didn’t pit and this didn’t affect their lap times at all. What the hell?
    All that said, the game is a must if you like F1 (although by the time you read this , F1 2014 will have probably come out). I’ve put over 50 hours in the game and I don’t regret my purchase. This is an AAA title for all F1 fans regardless of its shortcomings.
  7. Apr 10, 2014
    F1 2013 is a refreshed version of the 2012 installment. While it won't be ground breaking, it'll be fun and solid. Points for bringing back the classic cars which almost carries the whole game. Career mode is decent, multiplayer fun, and the classic car mode makes this game a must buy for every Formula One fan out there.
  8. May 16, 2014
    whilst the game has good visuals etc, it is severely marred by the basics being piss poor. if you cane something you have to wait for it to save, it will keep changing the view when you pit and not put it back to what it was and the less said about the cut corner marker on time trial the better.
    could be good but spoiled forever because the little things were done so badly.
  9. Sep 16, 2014
    The 2013 rendition is as good as its predecessors and is a game well worth purchasing if you are a fan of the sport and have enjoyed the 2012 and 2011 versions of the game, but do not expect all that much variation on those titles (except the classic cars/tracks). It is a very solid game worthy of a 9, but has minor, yet manageable issues that make the game quite difficult (notably the tire wear which is extremely difficult to manage, or at least it has been for me). The AI prove quite a decent challenge with the difficulty raised with this tire wear challenge, where you need to be much more consistent and strategic compared to earlier releases. Expand

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Codemasters continues to deliver solid sequels that take small steps forward. The races and challenges are as rewarding here as ever but the classic mode is far too hollow to make a larger impression. F1 2013 is otherwise a solid and stuffed racing game but with little to offer owners of last years model.
  2. Nov 14, 2013
    The new game is stuck in the same artless quandary as far too many annual series updates. [Issue#141, p.113]
  3. There's definitely fun to be had here for the F1 faithful, but we can't shake the feeling that Codies is taking the foot off in preparation for the inevitable next-gen follow-up. [December 2013, p79]